Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll #426 One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor

saucydog
15 years ago

Hmm...I feel the urge to paint something! Hope it's okay to start two in a row....

Carry on....

Comments (104)

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Okay, after some family review, we have figured out the mystery bits in the dog's gut :) It's rat food! No, no, not rat poison, rat food.

SunnyD's kids have pet rats, and we're sitting them while she's in Cozumel. They're perfect guests! Zeus snatched the back of rat food from near their cage (imagine him folding back his lips and using only his teeth to procure the bag from the table top!) and gingerly opened it up. When the kids and I caught him in the act, there was rat food strewn across the floor! Heart shaped, and hard as a rock (for their growing teeth, I imagine)!

Mystery bits in dog tract solved! They're still shaped like little hearts in there....5 of them.

He's stuffed like a sausage, I tell you!

Hooray for V. and her impressive biceps! Did you decide on a color for the walls?

Eden, Bella's dream was sweet. It tells you exactly how she feels about her Grandma Joan, doesn't it?

Michelle, what a great picture!!! I have one of my grandma's porch that she sent me...it makes me happy every time I come across it.

Zinnia's do good here and I can get small seedlings at the May plant sale, so I will participate, too :) I might start some Green Envy to go with the usuals, though, and Eden's are quite the looker, too!

My little rat friends are enjoying a piece of toast crust from Sarah's breakfast....gotta love a pet with a cast iron stomach :)

TTYL

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Saucy, you're running a zoo there. Or is it a pet bed & breakfast? Hope the little guy is feeling better. I know when Bud eats something that doesn't digest well we all pay if you know what I mean? The little rats sound like fun. We used to have all sorts of little critters here. Hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs. I think Mary had pigs too when her kids were younger.

Eden

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Saucy, the achy arms will be rollering on Benjamin Moore's "Healing Aloe" later today. I hope it works, LOL! It's a soft pale green. I will take photos when it's done. I thought about taking a ceiling photo, but you know, a white ceiling repainted whit just looks kind of white...

Sunrise woke me up at 2:00 am, and then the coyotes had their turn later. I'm officially cranky this morning.

Later,

V.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Just a brief pop in again...

Wow! That floor Chelone...! I'm speechless in awe.

I'm very impressed with all the painting going on - we've had paint chips taped to the kitchen wall for over a year now and still haven't chosen one or started painting....

Kathy - our dining room is a raspberry red and we love it - but the reason we need to paint the kitchen is that I'm not overly fond of how the kitchen color goes with the dining room. Mind you, we've lived with the color compination since 1999 so it's not bad enough to prompt rapid action :-)

Gotta run again but I just wanted to post this picture of what has been keeping me busy the past few weeks - the latest stage of the course - a more detailed plan with elevations:
    {{gwi:148891}}

I took this course to keep busy for the winter but I didn't expect it to consume so much time!

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Im sneaking in before anyone notices at the awfice... how terrific to see Honey -- I hope you can pop in more reguarly -- life has definitely been a challenge for you the last year, but you've risen to the occasion -- I do hope it settles a bit for '09 and you get to visit the Alps (and spouse)...

Chelone - I dont recall if I said, but your floor is indeed marvelous and I cant wait to see it in person.... I laughed at the 'be brilliant today' -- does that include the just getting out of bed part?

Kathy -- I meant to also mention -- I understand your reticence about the red dining room in that it is like dominoes -- you start one thing, and it leads to redoing the entire first floor -- is there any way you could decide to just add in red accents -- like a table runner, red candles, other cheap decorative red accents that would jazz it up enuf for you but not have to "hit the walls"? Sometimes just going w/ new accents and accessories will achieve the effect. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear more folks having health woes -- PM, and Michelle -- I do think winter is tough on our bodies and seems to make all conditions worse -- some mornings I feel like a "stick person" when I wobble outta bed and try to bend the ankle or leg... frankenstein reborn, lol.

Deanne -- I managed to relax w/ your July garden album sunday nite and it was so special -- it's hard to believe that much magnificence was blooming and available all at once... and it looks like it will be not too far before even your early Spring looks lovely. Im dying for it myself -- everything looks brown and dead right now; I really need to get out and cut things back as soon as it shows a bit of warmth; somehow it seems spring is going to be late this year. It was frigid this a.m. and no hint of my hellebores really perking up yet.

I do think Saucy gets the zoo award... pet rats -- now that is a real friend who will take care of a friend's rats! eeks.... and unknown consequences of Zeus's interest in their nutrition, LOL... Hope you give your vet bill to returning friend! It is really tough to stop dogs from marking and returning to territory in the house... a really hard challenge... Nature's Miracle is about as good as I can ever get with stopping that.

I hope V's "healing aloe" manages to heal your biceps too, LOL -- painting ceilings is definitely the worst -- and I laughed about your mention of a white ceiling is white -- I had a discussion last year about that w/ the painter -- and was shocked at the number of colors of 'ceiling white' these days -- it seems it's an unnecessary choice to me -- just give us one choice for the ceiling for white!

-cindy

• honey_mi
    15 years ago

Good Morning, idylls.

Eden, I just teared up when I read your post about what Bella said. Out of the mouth of babes. How precious. My new grandniece, Jenna Elizabeth, was born 12/18. When my niece put Jenna in 3-yr. old Jessicas arms, Jessica said, "Welcome to the world, baby sister!" Doesnt that just tug at your heart! The other thing thats so interesting, is that during her pregnancy, my niece would let Jessica lean against her belly and Jessica would talk to the baby. Now, Jenna turns her head when Jessica speaks, and just practually swoons when Jessica puts her head next to her in a hug. Its like they bonded when Jenna was still in the womb. Amazing. Im sure theyll be many wonderful stories of Bella and your new little one, too.

Im not a zinnia fan, but WOW, thats a great one. Hmmm. Perhaps Ill winter sow? Is that what youre going to do? BTW, after 3/8 is good for me. Hopefully, the slipping and sliding will be a thing of the past by then.

V, I second the idea of a writing room for you. It sounds like youre coming along on the painting. I found the brand of paint really makes a difference. I use only Benny Moore or Graham Ceramic for interior work. "Healing Aloe" sounds yummy. I have to check it out.

Michelle, so sorry to hear youre experiencing appliance issues. Theyre the pits. I had to have a guy out for our cooktop. It wouldnt heat up. I thot it was the electric burners, but it was worse than that. It was some doo-dad farther in. My oven is getting persnickedy, too. Im trying to keep it all going b/c I want a duel fuel stove w/oven instead of a cooktop and wall oven. If I have to replace any of what I have, itll be a waste b/c theyll get thrown out when (if) the kitchen gets redone.

Poor Saucy. How awful. You ARE a great friend to take care of rats (yuk). And Chelone, OMG, 2 lbs. of blood meal! Cant imagine the special memories that brings. The only time Missy messed in the house, it was my fault totally. The breeder gave me some hard chow and a BIG can of dog food. Dummy me (a cat person for 15 yrs), I put it all down for 10-lb. Missy, so she could chow at her leisure! Well, she ate it ALL! Not too long after, she had a HUGE accident on our white carpet in the dining room. Duh.

Yes, this economy is oh, so very, very scary. And with autos its insane. I can hardly read the papers or watch the news.

Marian, I think I passed the cleaning bug on to you! Isnt it a great feeling when youre done? I could feel that good, tho, even if someone else did it! Before painting here, I washed all the walls and woodwork with TSP, took apart light fixtures, etc., like you are. I even washed the walls in all the rooms I wasnt painting. I, too, had the arm shaking thingy, like V, and couldnt lift my arms over my head!

Bug, Chelone said it all so perfectly, I couldnt improve on what she said. (((Bug))). Everyone handles grief differently. Do/feel what you need to, regardless. Its never an easy road. Love and support being sent your way.

PM, I hope whatever health issues youre having are minor. Sending hugs to you, too. (((PM)).

Kathy, I used Benny Moore "Cottage Red" for my GR. Its a really pretty burgundy. The trick with red paint of any hue, is to use a colored primer. Then youll only need 2 coats. If you skip this step, itll take 5+ coats before you get good coverage. I was lucky to have a really good local paint store (which is now closed) with talented colorists. I found that they really knew their stuff. A neighbor used the same paint, skipped the primer and indeed, had to paint her one wall 5 times. Heres the room:

{{gwi:148892}}

The color in this photo is closer to actual, although it changes in various light conditions:

{{gwi:148895}}

I still love and am not tired of it after 3 yrs. And I still love those crystal lamps that look like little chinamen w/hats!

Hi Cindy. Yes, its been a challenge with DH so far away. If he were in the states, we could just pay for him to come home for a weekend. But Italy? I have a disc of pix a colleage of DHs took when they toured France and in particular, Monets gardens last Spring. I havent had a chance to go thru it. When I do, Ill share.

OK, gotta run. Later, friends.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Those lamps are sensational. Don't you just love nice finals, too?

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm...what is Chelone doing here at noon on a Tuesday?

• chelone
    15 years ago

I was the designated driver for a certain someone who underwent an invasive procedure this morning. Figured I could safely blow off work and get in some bonus painting time today. :)

Shall I paint another course right now or take His Hugeness out on a forced march?

• honey_mi
    15 years ago

Chelone, if the sun is out and its not 20 below, take his hugeness out for a walk!

Thanks, Chelone. Yes, I do love the lamp finials, too. I like out-of-the ordinary things. Or did you mean these finials? They were a find when I wasn't even looking! And they were for cheap at a little nearby shop.

{{gwi:148896}}

I struggled with the redecorating b/c I must 'live with' some things I'd rather change just to get the look out of the '80's. Someday I hope to refinish the light furniture and remodel the kitchen and baths.

I'll post a link below to my redecorating album. First, tho, some info. The kitchen gold color is more subdued than it appears. The cornice board and drapes are cranberry (same as GR color) and light gold. I think I want to do another cornice over the doorwall, and add two more decals on the facing soffits. We'll see. The drapes are off-the-shelf BB&B sale items which I was then able to use a 20% off coupon on. I had to travel to 4 stores to get the panels I needed. Im thrilled that I was able to have the pantry shelves rebuilt and painted so the pantry can stay organized. Thats quite a change.

The 'light carmel' color I used in the den, master bed and bath is Benny Moore "Acorn". I'm surprised I like it as much as I do. The photos dont do it justice. I saw the mirror over my dresser over a year ago at a lighting store. I wanted it but didnt know where Id put it. After I found the bedspread set at that famous designer, JCP, and started putting the room together, I remembered the lamps in our 2nd bedroom and then thot the mirror might work with them. It seems to.

For my projects, I traded Michael's coupons with friends and neighbors for Joann 40% off coupons. That made the silk floral stems, cornice board kits, trim, pillows and fabric more affordable.

The laundry room is still a work in progress. I have some giant white pinch clothespins that I'm going to somehow rig up a swag treatment over the blinds. The fabric I ordered was discontinued and I've yet to find another I like. Down the road I want to change the floor and replace the laundry tub with a sink and cabinet. For now tho, Ill just finish up the window treatments and wait on the rest.

Ennyhoo, take a look and see what you think. Speaking of dog for a walk, Miss Exuberence wants one.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Gorgeous, Honey! I now need/want to re-do the whole house....! Actually, we've been here 10 years now and haven't made many changes since we moved in. Things are starting to look more than a little tired so some updating/refreshing is well overdue. Now we just need to get some energy and get busy...

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Honey, thanks for the tour. I love your decorating style. I particularly like the fabric of the drapes in the den. I need something like for my LR.
    I think we all deal with the "living with" issue. You've done a great job with giving a fresh look with paint and fabrics.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Honey, my life these days is much like yours was last year...so there's tons of "living with" around here. In fact, if I had Julie ad Marian here to crack the whip on cleaning and you to spiff things up in the decoration department, Deanne to monitor the gardening, Chelone the pets, V the painting, Michelle and Saucy to get the TV, computers and phones more reliable, Cindy and one of our California girls to handle legal issues, Cynthia or Sue to take on the taxes and closing (for the 6th year) of DH's old business... no doubt some of my attitude would perk up. I'm amazed at all the stuff Idylls deal with in their lives and yet seem to be chirpy about moving onward. Oy, I'm trying!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Hey, gals...we built this house over 25 years ago, and moved in the 15th of April 1984. Very little has been done inside for probably 15 years! Certainly no painting or remodeling. The cleaning that I did is so rare, that is why I mentioned it! The light fixtures had a lot more than a 'velvety' coat of dust on them. The one in the dinningroom gets the greasy sediment from my cooking, since we have no rangehood. :-(
    It required some 'elbow grease' to get the chimneys and light bulbs clean!
    Here is a pic of the chimneys. ( Maybe they are more appropriately called 'globes'?). The one on the right is the 'before' one.

{{gwi:148898}}

It looked a lot worse 'in person' than in the pic. There are 5 of them.

Nolon got the chandelier from the president of the local community college, when he remodeled their house. A lot of our stuff came from his jobs. Even when this house was new it was a far cry from what I have seen of most of the rest of your homes, but it is sufficient for our purposes.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Never forget that home is where the heart is, Marian. All the rest is just trappings. I know what you mean about the accumulated mung from cooking... our "range hood" is c. 1969 and was salvaged, too. It's absolutely useless and believe me, when I finally manage to sever the helpmeet from the c. 1983 24" gas stove a range hood is going to be among the first things installed!

• honey_mi
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks you guys!

Woody, I meant to say hi to you when I posted before but it slipped my pea-picken mind. Sheesh. Id forget my head if it wasnt attached. Woody and Bug, I stopped idylling last yr. b/c I was overwhelmed and seemed to be stuck in an inertia. DD was going thru her divorce and alternately was in the pits, sobbing, or raging and sobbing. Sometimes within the same hour. Then her soon-to-be-X made serious threats and we all were terrified.

DH, who is usually the one who cheers everyone else up with his off-beat humor, was really in the pits b/c he couldnt get a job. He spent most days just laying on the couch with a pillow over his head shutting the world out. Meanwhile, my Mom is phoning to kvetch about DS this, DS that, or how wonderful DB (the anointed one) is doing, yadda, yadda. The dog needed training, walking and care, the upstairs kitties were screaming for DD to spend time with them, etc., etc. So I just couldnt recount it all to you guys and drag you all down with me. Instead, I just got outta here and took that temp job at a florist! I think it saved my sanity. DH then had to take care of the dog, listen to DD and offer guidance, and in general, participate and relieve me. And Mom didnt have me to unload on.

Then DH got this job and left for overseas, and DD got worn down about the inevitability of the divorce AND was called back to work. Once we had paycheck again, Spring was springing and all the nurseries opened. So I buried myself in gardening, bot and spent too much, but it was the elixir I sorely needed and was an antidote to all DHs moaning and constantly worrying over our 401K being a K, etc. It got me off my duff or Id probably still be lazing around. Once I started digging outside, it was uplifting and I had more energy.

Boy, did I ever go to town! I dug out stumps from shrubs that died over the winter, moved, replaced or added 65 shrubs, divided or shovel-pruned tired perennials, hauled compost, mulch, installed a drip irrigation system in the back 40, etc. Imagine having credit cards and a checkbook with no one to tell you to STOP! I really was on a roll to fix up the front and side gardens and try new things.

I also was forced to take care of some maintenance items DH never got around to. I hired a handyman to help me with some of it. So once my energy was up, I got started on the inside of the house. Weve been in this house 10 years, too, Woody. I think I just worked myself out of a really low funk. Interestingly enough, Ive found that I get tons more done when DH is not here to distract me. I just make a daily list, work thru it and keep productive. Last yr., sometimes I took on more than I should have!

So, Bug and Woody, I think once you get your hands in the dirt again, or immerse yourself in a garden plan now, it might help you as well.

Thank you, Michelle. Im really not sure what my style is. I, too, love the fabric in the den. It kind of has an Asian feel to it. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. I was going to try finding a green paint for the den, but noticed the "Acorn" I used upstairs worked with it, too.

To freshen the MB, I removed the matching mirror from the dresser and was absolutely amazed how it totally changed the room. Guess Ive been watching too much HGTV! I still need artwork here and there, but thats a finishing touch I can get to next winter.

WOW, Marian. You have been busy. Dont worry. Youre among friends here. My oven, micro and stovetop were installed when the house was built in 1984. The repairmen all apologize to me for being limited in what they can do to keep them working. I agree with Chelone. From what Ive seen, youve managed to make a warm and comfortable home for you and DH, despite many hurdles. And you have fabu talent with indoor plants. You amaze me with all you do.

Well, I've got to make a drugstore run and then will just plunk myself on the couch and have a glass of wine. Later, friends.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I had a strange, and humiliating experience with my checks at a local store last week and again today. Last week when the checkout girl went to run my check through their machine, it rejected it. It said it was a 'duplicate'! The customer service lady that was called on, felt that I was not a 'threat' and asked to try another check. It went through okay. Today, there was a similar occurance. I had used one satisfactorily to get some items for the Golden Year's class, but when I went afterwards to get some groceries, the next check was rejected. This time the customer service lady got the earlier check, and put the total of the two purchases on it. It was an embarrassing experience, and of course there were other customers looking on. It was suggested I go to my bank and see what the problem was. I did go, and the bank's customer service lady (she has assisted me before, and is very nice) was just as dumbfounded as I by what was going on. She called the store manager. She called two or three others. She checked and rechecked the bank's records. I mentioned to her that I am also having a problem with my online banking. It was not working right, and when I attempted to view a cancelled check, it was not the one I had clicked on.
    Finally the customer service lady contacted another lady that came up with the cause of the problem.
    I have purchased my checkbooks from Checks Unlimited for years. When the check number reached #10000 I was noticing my bank statement had only the last 3 digits for each check recieved. I didn't give it any thought, but decided I didn't like such a large number on my checks, so when it was time to send for more, I asked them to start over with the numbers. They started back at 101.
    Now...what happened is, the previous checks had the 10 thousand plus at the top of the checks, but not in the long list of digits at the bottom. The bottom line had only the last three digits. It is the bottom one that the bank uses on it's bank statements.
    Last year, in April, I gave the grocery store in question a check that was #10162. Today I gave them a check that was #162! Are you getting the picture? They have a differant system than any of the other places that I give checks to. It was saying I had given them a duplicate check!

Since I bought 4 boxes of the new checks at the time my last book was reaching 20400,and the first new one was #101, all of the new ones up to #400 will be 'duplicates! Yargh! I can do one of two things.
    1. I can contact the check company, and request two more boxes of checks past the last two's numbers, and dispose of the remaining ones in the first two boxes.
    2.I can make a note of all the numbers of the checks I wrote to that grocery store, and avoid giving them a 'duplicate'.

In the first case, I cannot view the checks that are in my online account history from #101 to #163 ( the last one I wrote today), but it will be okay after that.

In the second case, my history will continue to be messed up until I get to #400.

I think I like the first option best.

Why am I telling you all of this??? Because I am hoping no one else is caught in this mess.
    Of course, most of you probably do not even use checks. :-(

Marian

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Honey, have we told you how good it is to have you back? You know we need to see an updated photo of Missy. And it sounds like updated photos of the garden will be called for in summer.

I can finally say that, while it is not finished, the end is in sight! The walls went so fast today, I couldn't believe it. I still have to do one small corner where a massive entertainment center sits (DS will be here on Saturday and he and DH will move that) and then we decided to make one wall an accent color. I'll have to pick a color and of course buy paint. Again. :) I think they like me at the paint store.

I took a couple of photos; I'm not sure how well the color shows up. The first is looking down the stairway to the first wall. You can see the lovely varnished woodwork as well!

{{gwi:148899}}

The next shot is looking back towards the stairs. If you look closely, you will see the blue painter's tape still on the woodwork, and notice that I had not yet cut in at the ceiling yet. The small bookcase in the lower left corner usually sits back against the wall. And right in front of that you can see the handles of the foosball table. Just like I can't be in a room with an agave without being poked, I can't work in a room with a foosball table without walking into a d*** handle!

{{gwi:148900}}

DH is making an ambitious duck etouffee for dinner (which will be late) and needs more help, so I've got to close.

V.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

DH is at another BB game. I chose instead to wash the car, check my parent's houses, swim and then relax at home.

'bug, wouldn't it be great if we could all go around and share our talents with our Idyll friends? Think of what fun we would have too.

Honey, it sounds like you have had a lot to deal with. I'm glad your back. We went through a couple of tough years like that shortly before I started Idylling. It's hard when life seems to be crashing down around you.

V, the basement is looking good. I remember being in your basement to use the facilities.

I have vowed to keep our place in good repair as we get older. Just keep plucking away at things. I was somewhat shocked when I viewed my parent's house after it was empty. When you walk into an empty house that has plaster cracks and needs painting badly and theres no furniture to distract the eye, I can see why its not selling. The end of March is the first weekend that we can all get together to do some repairs and painting. It's not easy when your siblings all live out of state. There's no way I'm going to work there by myself. I don't think my parents either want to deal with it or don't realize how much should be done.

Chelone, I haven't been diagnoised with RA. I don't have the factor, although you can have it without having the RA factor. At this point she is calling it a form of inflammatory arthritis. I'm having problems popping up with my feet, hips and shoulders these days.

Have a great evening
    Michelle

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Honey, your house looks beautifully in order, including that great pantry. Your posts stopped about the time mine started, but I do remember the marble-topped entryway chest of drawers and I remember your DH getting work in Paris, but he's been to quite a few other places in the interim. Seems stress turns you into a decorating whirling dervish! The finials are a gorgeous touch against those rich cranberry walls. What a beautiful home you've made.

Saucy's menagerie sounds like lots of fun. We've enjoyed the company of gerbils in the past as well as lovebirds, geckos.

V, along with When I Paint My Masterpiece, you might put on The Basement Tapes while you finish the walls ;)

Michelle, is your farm and Rick's mom's farm one and the same? I was all set to put in my zinnia order with burpee's, then Eden posted her link for Johnny's seeds, so now a reappraisal is in order.

What a gentle little soul Bella is, Eden!

A fine mess with the checks, Marian, hope it's easily sorted out. I do write checks for haircuts to add on the tip, and that's about it.

I had a good browse before work on the Cistus Nursery site, located up near Portland, Oregon. Deanne might like to take a look at their abutilon list, and their agave list rivals Plant Delights. I didn't check the shipping charges, which might be prohibitive for the East Coast. My year-old Paisley abutilon is on their list, and it was nice to learn it is a spindly thing. Flowers all winter but very shy on leaves. Hopefully spring will beef it up a bit. It was especially gratifying to read that many of Dan Hinkley's plants found their way to them, along with many of Western Hills, an iconic plantsman's nursery from the '80s and '90s in Sonoma County near Kathy.

Kathy, your Archduke Charles I believe was my Monsieur Tillier, a very large, sunset-colored tea rose. Looking forward to your rose photos!

Between Chelone's pythagorean floor and Woody's detailed elevation drawings, I must confess my math would not be up to the challenge!

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Looking Good V! I remember when I was painting,the paint store people began greeting me like an old friend before it was over.

Honey it's great to hear from your corner of the world. you have been one busy girl. Your decorating pictures are really nice. I see why you liked the mirror and the lamps do look good with it. It all looks good. Looking forward to pictures of the garden this year.

Marian what a snaffu with your checks. Frustrating isn't it.

Eden, I loved hearing about Bellas dream.

Chelone add me to the list of those impressed with the salon floor design. You did good, but lost me with all the talk of geometry LOL.

It's late so I won't try to catch everybody. I cleaned today and am wiped out.

It's been cold again but we are headed for a warming trend, so I hope to get outside a bit tomorrow.

Nite all. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I emptied 3.5 inches from the rain gauge this evening we are having a between storm break, so bird feeders were filled and a brief WALAT was performed. There is rain in the forcast for the balance of the week and through the weekend ..but I have my second seedling mat as of today so I can play with that over the weekend while deciding once and for all about my dining room.

Honey thanks for the great pics and the link to your album ! Very pulled together and the colors are great ! I took some before/current pics of my dining room today and will post below if I can get them uploaded-we are having Picasa issues here. I read with interest your story of what you have endured these last months and your action plan to pull your life together in the face of so many challenges. I can very much to relate to the therapeutic value of garden renovation-and Im sure others here can as well. My kudos to you for keeping on and trying not to let those issues sink your boat (((Honey)))!

Marian, I have lived in this house ( I think )since 1989 , and the house was built (I think) in 1983. Things start to fall apart a bit ! Ive found that painting freshens things up more than anything. My worst challenge was with the abysmal windows that the builder put in this house and have had to have many of them replaced. I love the globes of your light fixture. LOL about the checks Marian. I rarely use them anymore, I use a check card instead. I know that some find this harder to keep track of, but I no longer balance my check book anyway , my expenses are very consistent .

Denise, Archduke Charles is red/pink- the unusual feature of the plant is the darkening of the fading flowers. They open up pink and fade to red- not a broken red but full rose-red. I will take a pic when it blooms. I have not been to Western Hills in a few years, back in the Maggie days. One absolutely had to know what one was looking for in those days because tagging was sporadic at best. I think I should venture over there this spring, if for no other thing than to visit the display gardens. I have loved my visits to Cistus, but I think I am going to request an outing to Joy Creek if I go up to Oregon in June.

Michelle , loved the vintage photo of the Zinnias and the barn. !

Kay, all for me, going to go watch Mr O

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Michelle, I hope you can keep the arthritis at bay. I know it is painful. My good friend has RA but does pretty well with meds. Probably your parents just couldn't keep up with the repairs the house needs. I know that the older I get I just dread taking on the jobs that usually snowball into lots of work, and I never used to let that bother me.
    Also, my DH just plain doesn't see the things that need done unless I point them out.

Deniese I was going to ask if the farm was one and the same too.

N

• chelone
    15 years ago

I finished the floor up in a marathon session that has left me keenly aware of my knees and my left wrist. ;) The Huge One had to loaf around with Daddy, no forced march, I'm afraid. In spite of careful painting with the 2" sash brush there are still some light spots and a few "holidays" on the triangles so another coat is in order. I did a sample second coat on one to see how dreadful it will be and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it will be in comparison to the first one. The surface of the Advantec is uneven and that requires working the paint to get good coverage. My plan is to let everything dry for a day/two and then resume the project (just because the surface is dry doesn't mean it's dry in the lower coats as the moisture penetrates those in the drying process). The helpmeet fancies me out of my mind, but the reality is that the room will never again be as clean or as empty and putting forth the effort to do the job thoroughly will pay dividends long into the future. To that end, Kathy, I suspect I'll be adding one or two clear topcoats, too. What the hell, it's only work. ;)

Congratulations, V.! I do not envy you the varnish work. I know the guys that specialize in "bright work" at the yacht yards are well paid for their attention to detail. It takes a good deal of skill and patience to be neat and effient at varnishing. Just think of the untold benefits to your bi and triceps. "Librarian arms be gone!".

Marian, I chuckled about the checks although I'm sure it's frustrating for you. If it's any consolation you're probably not the first one to face the problem and no one at the store is going to think you're a loser because of it. Isn't it funny how sequences of numbers can create such chaos? I meant to tell you how much I like your sunny approach to the loss of so many shrubs and trees... it's just gives you more opportunity to add new things, that's a great way to look at it. You are "brighter" indeed and it's good to see that.

Honey, I've not had time to scope out your pictures but want to very much. I like the feel of the "red room". I love red on walls, our bedroom is the color of a bright, fully ripe tomato and we love it. The helpmeet selected the color and I put 3 coats on the wall even though I was painting over a previous iteration of red. It was the lamp finials I was commenting on... I love them; I think the little details are frequently the most important, little surprises for the eyes as they pass over a space. Here, I like to use little clumps of animal fur here and there to inject a touch of whimsy. ;)

Boy, do I ever "get" the whole overwhelmed feeling and paralysis associated with so much flux in your life. I took the same approach you did, Honey. Exactly. I simply started doing things instead of sitting around being freaked out by the scope of what lay before me. It worked! and I'm an inveterate list maker, too. The helpmeet takes one look at my lists and about keels over, "you want me to do all this?!". No dear, I want to get all this done and I will "cut your meat for you" to make it easier. I give him the portions of a project I need to have him do and give him the time they must be done. And then I move right in and finish the rest of my work. There was tremendous grousing about the Salon earlier this fall (very unpleasant and frustrating for me), but now the hearth, stairwell, and the woodwork is FINISHED. I've asked for NO help with the masonry, the pickling, the finishing, or the floor (aside from chalking the lines). I am saving my requests for the next steps that will require his particular skill set. I think the best part of it all for me is the renewed feeling that I'm capable and organized and within that framework can give innate creativity a work out, too. So, good for you, Honey!

OK, runnin' late again and have to hustle on out the door even though there's a lot more I'd like to comment on.

And yes, Cindy, "be brilliant today" certainly applies to those for whom just getting upright and in motion presents a challenge. :)

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Just a quick pop in this morning

David had a successful day back at school yesterday (and me at work) and I dropped him off again this morning. He was exhausted afterwards but happy to be back with his friends. Unfortunately last night was bad again - burning, pins and needles and achiness in his nerve damaged foot. We were up for a couple of hours and I persuaded him to take half of one of his pain medications to allow his body to rest. We both made it up this morning and he seemed remarkably cheerful heading out this morning. I, on the other hand am dragging:0(

Honey - FABULOUS to have you back and hear all your news, but what a year you've had. Love seeing all the redecorating pics.

Eden - after much searching I've found an amazing small yarn shop locally that has tons of needle felting supplies at great prices. They supply wool roving to spinners and you can buy small amounts for a fraction of anything I saw on the web in lovely hand dyed colors. Email me and I'd love to put together a package for you as it would be easy to mail in a padded envelope. Bella would adore some of the little animals.

V - your celiac relative but might like to check out the site below. All the recipes are great and she has tons of useful information, especially for soemone just starting to cook gluten free. The basement is smashing!

Michelle - sorry to hear about your arthritis and hope there are treatments out there to allow a good quality of life.

Must go check on Clousseau. He ran off while I drove David to school (I think he didn't realize I'd be back in 10 minutes) and I need him back in the house before leaving for work. Now who is it who hates dogs?

Waving

Mary

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

When thoughts of being a grandmother are in the air, I think Eden and I also have thoughts about our parents as well. Last night DH and I scanned in a couple of photos, this one being of my grandmother with her three children. That curly girlie is my Mom. The photo is from 1917.

{{gwi:148903}}

Must go do the breakfast thing. I forgot that stage earlier today!
    'bug

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's great to have Honey back, and even more fun to poke around her house :) I, too, liked your window treatments, and have been looking at a similar fabric in Smith and Noble's catalog.

I love that photo, GB. I wish we all still took formal photos. I take every advantage when my kids are dressed up for special occasions....hmm....time to get Jake in a suit, and soon!

V., I love the basement. I wish I hadn't missed it in person. Maybe I can be Deanne's assistant when she comes out to photo for your book :)

My guess is that Michelle's MIL's farm is now her farm....at least to my eye they look like the same place!

Michelle, houses do look sad without a life going on inside them. Even new houses look funny when they're empty. Will it be fun to fix it up in the company of your siblings? I imagine it will be.

Mary, I really enjoyed that blog! Clousseau must smell spring in the air....Zeus has been following his nose lately, too.

The rats just had housekeeping come in (that's me) and Sarah's going to give them a washcloth bath tonight. They're very interesting little creatures who have very small needs and like the company of each other. I said "eewww" the first time I rat sat, but now I see what nice pets they make. Hamsters and gerbils have a much more pungent odor than these guys.

Well, time to go. Today is errand day, so that I can be out of the house while Magic happens. I even washed Zeus's bed so that Magic would happen for him, too :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

DH was out walking Phoebe along the windbreak a few days ago and came back reporting that he had seen house finches and goldfinches out there. Well that was nice! But today we found out that he was mistaken. The same cluster of birds appeared by our front veranda and were chomping on the small spruce pine cones. I realized that the red birds and the yellow birds were the same species, and it turns out they are white winged crossbills! I've never studied a bird so carefully and wish Deanne were here to capture the male and female for me with her camera. Funny to see the "same" bird in both yellow and red! Those red birds sure are tough to distinguish: house finches, purple finches, grosbeaks, red crossbills and white winged crossbills. Photos make it easier to study them while they aren't flitting about.

About pet rats: Sarah had them for ages when she was little. It began with Coffee and Licorice. The vet actually suggested them for her, saying how fantastic they are. They are affectionate and smart and clean. Like cats, they have distinct personalities too. She made special tunnels for them to crawl through and let them run free in her bedroom while she studied. They'd crawl inside her sleeping bag too if she was snuggled in her bed reading. Unfortunately, they didn't live as long as they were supposed to...like all pets. We went through surgery for one of them and had tearful moments. Luckily my cleaning lady at the time could deal with their presence.
    Coffee & Licky:
    {{gwi:148905}}

Michelle, so sorry about the arthritis woes! My high school history teacher was incapacitated by RA and it was such a horrid business for her. I just have an arthritic thumb and that is nuisance enough!

Well Cindy, that's as brilliant as I'm up to today. ;)
    'bug

• honey_mi
    15 years ago

Good morning, all. Before I comment on your posts, let me share a story from last yr. when DH was in Budapest. He was working an hr. outside the city at a plant built during the industrial revolution and not updated since. The workers were clean and neat, but very poor. DHs car was 1 of 2 in the parking lot. Workers only had bikes. While in a back office, a skinny kitten came up to DH and rubbed against his leg. Heres Baby Kitty:

{{gwi:148907}}

The next am, DH brot it breakfast sausage, which it scarfed down. By day 3, the kitten let DH pick it up and cuddle it. By day 4, DH was bringing it sausage, eggs and toast. But when he put the food down, the kitten left and went behind some boxes. She brot out Mama kitty. DH said he almost cried when he saw Mama kitty. She was very old and clearly starving. She was wobbly, could hardly stand while she ate, was nothing but fur and bones, and had terrible cataracts. Heres Mama Kitty:

{{gwi:148910}}

The kitten brot Mama to the food so she could eat first. Mama ate quite a bit but left some for the kitten, who finished the meal. The next day DH brought 2 breakfasts. They ate every morsel, even toast and jelly he prepared for them. DH was concerned they wouldnt have anything to eat over the weekend. He found dried cat food at the market and left a bowl for them. When he came in on Monday, someone at the plant left a big bowl of water for them, too.

DH was concerned about what would happen to the kitties when he was reassigned, so he was thrilled when he saw the water bowl. Meanwhile, baby kitty was sitting on his lap all day while he was in the office. Mama kitty was feral, but purred when he put down food for her. Then when DH came in after the next weekend, there was a note for him in Hungarian and baby kitty was gone. DH had the note translated back at his hotel. It said, "Dont worry about the kitten. My daughter has been begging for a kitten. Weve taken it and it will have a good home with us."

Now DH was worried about old Mama kitty. Surely, she wouldnt survive w/o a handout. The following week when DH came in there was another note for him. It said, "Dont worry about Mama kitty. We need a cat to keep the rabbits out of the garden. She has a bed in our chicken coup and will be taken care of. Baby kitty is doing fine. She has her own bed but sleeps with my daughter in her bed instead. Shes adjusted well, except we have to lock her up when we eat dinner b/c she jumps on the table and attacks our food. Both cats will have good homes." We and DH were relieved. Hope you enjoyed this story.

Thanks, again, you guys, on the decorating. Its long overdue. DH really pushed me on repainting, thinking wed get a better price on more rooms. I only wanted to tackle our bedroom and bath. He finally realized that we really needed to bring these rooms into this century. The laundry room color is a little more mellow that it appears in the photo. Its on the north side of the house, so the color is uplifting, really. I saw the border and paint combo on a home tour last year and got the info on it. It was shocking when I first saw it in my house, to say the least. Every time DD passes it, she says, "Mom, boy thats GREEN." But were getting used to it. With all the accessories, trim and floor being white or off-white, it tones it down. As I said, Im still hunting for over-treatment fabric.

Michelle, Im so sorry you and your siblings have to deal with your parents house. Hopefully, with all of you pitching in, repairs and painting will go quickly. Its much easier to do when the house is empty. Hope you get some meds that work for you and make everyday living better. It has to be exhausting for you dealing with constant aches and pains.

Denise, that pantry is one of the main reasons I liked this house. It certainly WASNT the kitchen. Altho Ive contributed a lot to charity, I still have stuff and I couldnt stand not being able to see where it was or get at it. Im not sure those finials will stay on the mantle or not. They were different and an emotional buy. Glad you like them, too.

Marian, I know how embarrassing that had to be for you. When I was younger, I wrote a check at the grocery and left. As I was loading my car, a clerk came running from the store and told me my check was bad and he took my groceries back! I was mortified! I spoke with the mgr. who double checked. It turns out that there was someone with the same name, same drivers license number except off by one digit, who was passing bad checks. I got my groceries back, but I felt truly humiliated. I couldnt write a check w/o a problem for 2 yrs. I even had trouble with credit cards and had to ask clerks to double check my info. Sheesh. I hope it doesnt take long for you to resolve the problem.

Kathy, I appreciate your thots. I was/am feeling that our lives are so out of our control these days, that I had to do things I could control. Worrying was getting me nowhere.

Chelone, I see that were kindred spirits on control issues, list making and distracting by immersing yourself in something. DH refuses to look at lists I make for him. REFUSES. So I make his list for myself and ask him to do things one at a time. The reason I make lists is that I have CRAFTs disease (cant remember a freaking thing!). Wow, wow and wow about your floor and design. I stand in awe.

Norma, I agree. My DH doesnt see repairs that need to be done unless I point them out, either. He also HATES to have things torn up or out of place. It really bothers him and he cant stand it.

Mary, David should really take his pain meds continually, even if at a smaller dose. Medication builds up in your system and works more effectively. You and he both need your sleep. ((((Mary))))

Bug, what a gorgeous photo and keepsake! It could be from a magazine. And how much you look like your Mom. She had beautiful hair, too.

V, I love the photos you posted of your very, very special home. I have to say that your home and prairie was the highlight for me of the IU that year. We saw a lot of fabulous places, but none could hold a candle your special corner of the world.

OK, time for me to get crackin here. TTYL.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Yesterday was fabulous with the mercury hitting at least 57. The weather is supposed to turn nasty tomorrow with freezing rain and then snow. Of course thats when my appointment in the city is. DH mentioned maybe going up tonight and staying over. This is where my son lives but hes out of town visiting DD and family in FL this week. Im a little jealous that they are all together and Im not there. It really has been wonderful for DD and family all the guests that have come to visit since they moved there. I dont know if I mentioned or not that a couple that are really good friends of theirs who had been living in California moved to FL and are actually living in the same apt. complex as Laura and Mike.

Denise, the farm isnt the same. We have all white outbuildings, in my opinion not as cool as the red.

Chelone, we think in similar ways. I like to do as much as I can myself and save DHs help for the things that cant be done alone. I like to learn how to do new things and take pride in the finished product.

Mary, great to hear that David was able to return to school. I hope the nights get easier. What does the Dr. have to say about it?

Saucy, the house project probably will be fun but will need to be super organized to get what should get done in a mere weekend. I think that was exactly the problem there is when there was furniture etc you didnt notice the cracks in the walls and as for the basement the worst area, they had it chuck full so you didnt see the paneling was so bad.
    bug, what lovely hair the whole family has.

Honey, what a wonderful story about the cats. Its good to know that there are caring people everywhere. Im sure that many would only want the kitten and not the mamma.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Although this site talks about absentee Dads, I thought it was terrific for anyone absent! Wonderful ideas on sharing your love. How about naming a star after your absent friend? Made me think of Michelle and Kenzie, Honey and Tom, etc.

• denisez10
    15 years ago

And look at Mom's shoes requiring the services of a button hook! Grandmother was a beauty, though I'd guess that wearing glasses was seen as something less than glamorous back then. Interesting that she left them on for the photo, when glasses are clearly not needed. Not a vain woman perhaps?

Regarding repurposing old furniture, making to-do lists, sounds like I'm on the same page as the restayas...I make the lists, do what I can do like grunt labor, and Marty does the fine construction bit. Which has served us fine up til now, and the spirit is still willing but now his back is weak, not a good combination for an old wooden house that needs constant maintenance ;)

Honey, the Budapest cat story was charming, and that old, circa Industrial Revolution plant sounds pretty interesting to a nerd like me too ;) I know it is a hardship, but what fabulous places your DH is visiting.

Kathy, it's so nice to hear you planning seeds for this summer rather than being in garden limbo like last year. Having family already up in the PNW should be a great advantage in terms of getting a jump on hot real estate tips when the market thaws a bit. My folks were also attempting to sell about the time you were and, apart from the general slowdown, were stunned to hear prospective buyers say their kitchen was so dated! (Well, Mom, it is! Spotlessly clean but dated nonetheless, just like mine...except for the spotless bit, that is.) My real estate fantasy lately involves an Airstream, the silvery zeppelin-looking trailer, plunked down on about an acre in a rainy zone 8. It just seems so impossible to find an affordable house AND in the right garden spot. On the zinnea front, I think I'm going for purple and lime green.

Michelle, I was thinking your DH was still working his childhood farm, which would be amazing. Both farms are beautiful! What a proactive way to handle your aches with the swimming...good for you. Those warmer temps can't hurt either ;)

Mary, I remember Marty was on Neurontin for nerve pain, but I'm not sure about its use in kids. Maybe something to ask the doc about if the sleepless nights persist. Great that you're both back to school!

Right outside my office window Angelica pachycarpa has started to dramatically unfurl a flower. Umbellifers are just the best...

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Darkening sky this evening as we wait for the next storm series. No one is complaining, another several inches would be welcome.

Green and purple are good Denise- and I confess that I ordered Green Envy seeds last night after pondering Michelles photo, also the Celosia spicata Flamingo Feather and a fresh pack of Nicotiana langsdorfii. Yeah, I figure that if things brighten up later this year my investment in annual seeds will not be regretted. I am going to buy some lily bulbs too. I really think it might be spring of 2010 before I list this house again, but will reassess in late summer. I think all the bank owned stuff and short sells will have to move before things loosen up. My BILS live in the SW hills of Portland and their nieghtbor a few doors down have completed restoration on a classic vintage Airstream. Its really beautiful -they always remind me of the Arizona desert for some reason.

Tithonia is up in the seeding nursery and Deanne, I would be more that happy to share or trade with you since I will have more than enough plants -I probably only have room for one !

What a lovely story Honey , of the Hungarian kitty family. Our late Boo-Boo kitty was feral-my DH brought him home in his shirt pocket after finding him in the vineyard outside his office. He was such a sweet cat, and lived to a very ripe old age, 16 or 17 as I recall.

bug, I really can see your face in grandmothers photo. I also noticed how joyful and spontaneous the childres expressions are-often people look very dour and formal in photos form that era.

Im off to have dinnerlater all !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

(My sister laments that she sees our grandmother when she looks in the mirror these days. I do see some of her too, but mostly I take after my father's side of the family, heavy, round in the face, and broad in the shoulders. Sigh.

Grandmother was named Mabel. Mabel was an interesting, difficult, misunderstood woman. She was a university graduate when that was not only unusual, but given her circumstances, very difficult! I think she always wore glasses and really needed them too, however not for the photo. Perhaps she wanted to appear "intellectual"?)

• chelone
    15 years ago

I see your face in the childish face of your mother, too, 'bug. And it's a great portrait. We don't have any family portraits of Mum, Dad, my brother, and me. Though there are some interesting series of Mum's family and Dad's family in one of the large plastic tubs under my bed. Sadly, many of the pictures are not labelled and I don't know the names of the faces; not that it really matters since there is no one to pass them on to. I have my paternal grandmother's vanity set and the obligatory button hook is included! Don't suppose Sarah would permit a sailor suit if Surprise turns out to be Sir Prize, huh? ;) (Your completely useless factoid is that the great racehorse Man O' War was foaled in 1917, too).

I spent yesterday morning cutting foam and then jamming it inside vinyl covers, a smart reminder that my wrists had received a very thorough work out the day before. Today it will be a series of large covers for a cable laying ship that will return to port in a few weeks. The fabric involved is not the most forgiving to work on, but there is considerable shape in them and it will be interesting to put them together. Later, I have a couple of pair of slacks to hem.

I liked the Hungarian kitty story, too. And I hope one day I'll be able to visit some of those places. Jeez, I'd like to get across the Mississippi some day, lol. Speaking of kitties, Spencer decided to shoot out the door last night and was gone for an hour +, unusual because he usually comes running when called. It was quite cold and the helpmeet went out a few time to call him. On one trip out he flashed the flashlight through the woods and saw 3 pair of eyes looking back at him. Spencer showed up at the back door a few minutes later. We figured the eyes were probably those of either racoons or maybe foxes, though foxes tend to be vocal at this time of year. In over 20 yrs. the helpmeet still hasn't mastered the technique of putting his leg in the opening of the door to prevent "zipping out" by incarcerated felines. ;)

I always wanted a guinea pig and Mum steadfastly refused. I like rats, too, and always think they'd be fun to have. I've read that they are quite intelligent and very affectionate. But I like most animals very much (except dogs), in fact, I generally prefer them to most people. Present company excepted. ;)

With thoughts of Bella's charming dream and many smiles provided by my virtual friends I must now make my leave. It's "Friday" for me and after the hemming this afternoon I may return to the Salon and daydream of window treatments while I skillfully trace the triangles for a second time.

Later!

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Why am I here so early? Hmmm,well I happen to wake up and as I looked at the sky to check for stars I noticed a steady blinking light I don't remember seeing before. I got up to check it out and found it to be the neighborhood tower that is some distance away. It is just so overcast that it is really projecting far out.

As I scrolled down the thread I really scoped out all the photos. What an interesting and diversified one this has been. I found it a bit humorous to see rats directly above kittys. Thank you both for relating the stories connected to those pictures, Bug and honey.
    I saw a family resemblance too Bug, and also noticed the smiling kids. The photographer must have had a way with children.

Deniese, I like the purple and lime zinna theme.

Kathy you seem to be getting more rain than I've heard you tell about before. Does it saturate the ground or just seem to drain away like in FL?

Michelle we had a nice day yesterday too. Unfortunately I had to go to town for such staples as cat and dog food milk and such. I did get out to burn off four more grasses and plan to do a few more this morning before it rains.

My forsythia branches are still in full bloom and I brought in a quince branch yesterday so will see how that goes. It has nice little buds on it.

Time for more coffee or a nap. Norma

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Chelone, I like your take on Sir Prize.

Gbug, I've been thinking about the pink knitting. Perhaps if it is a girl Sarah wouldn't mind something in a really dusky pink tone with a little toned down green (towards olive) trim. Something more nature related is what I'm trying to get at. Your good at that sort of thing. Any way my two cents worth. Take it or leave it.

And speaking of Sir Prize, I think it is about time for an update on Mr. Baby Kathy. Surely he is about to become a toddler or am I rushing him alon a bit?

Norma

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Well is this disjointed or what? Two more things I ment to comment on.

I think we should have a bird photo from Deanne on every thread .

Also I see such a trend in my family as well as those of several Idylls. Partners who have to work nights or travel afar to work. The family dynamics have really changed or have they? I just had a flashback thought of pioneer women taking over things while men were away. Anyway, this bunch is as sturdy as any.

I'm quitting now. N.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

We had a lovely sunny day here yesterday and the stronger sun is really starting to make things feel like spring is on the way. We still have lots of birds here but the populations are shifting and the Redpolls are gone as well as half the Siskins that were here. The Cardinals and Tufted Titmouse are starting their territorial singing and I had Red-winged Blackbirds here yesterday as well. Spring is well and truly on the way.

Ive got to take some of the chunks of debris off this house in preparation for the Thumbs party this weekend. I cant wait to see everyone. This is like the beginning of the 2009 Garden season as far as Im concerned. LOL

Honey, great to have you back! Love all the pictures and stories.

Saucy, I cant believe you have Crossbills there!!! How wonderful! How long have they been around? I might have to make a trek south with my camera. Ive never photographed that species before.

Bug, love that photo! Wonderful pic and I think you look very much like your mother.

V. your basement looks beautiful. Nothing like a fresh coat of paint!

Mary, I surely hope you got a good nights sleep last night! You must be running on nervous energy.

Kathy, thats a lot of rain! ~~ Well no worries about the Tithonia seedling, I caved and bought some seed myself. Ill see how I get on with it.

Eden, you are an enabler, I bought some seeds for those zinnias too!!! Its hopeless. ~~ I just love the story about Bellas dream! Wonderful.

Michelle, love the barn with the zinnias.

OK Ive got to get my day started here. Have a good one everybody

Deanne

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Deanne, I can not take credit for the crossbills! They're camping out at GB's place :)

What nice reads this morning :) GB, we were going to take a picture of Griffin and Goober (the rats) but my blasted battery is still dead (will I never learn?)! My Sarah enjoyed your Sarah's rats :)

Not much to say here. I just said goodbye to Nick who is in Boston for the day, and Sarah and Jake are off to school. I'm actually feeling like I could use a day of leisure and to spruce up my bedroom. Honey's remodel has me ready for a redo.

So is it possible to leisurely spruce? I'm going to turn on some music later and try :)

Have a good day, all!

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

LOL Saucy, for some reason when I saw the pic of the rats I thought they were yours so thought the Crossbills were yours as well. Teach me to read a little more carefully. I guess I can't jump in the car with camera in hand to get Crossbill pics.

Sorry Bug, wish I could come and visit with my camera!

Deanne

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

David not only had a good day at school but made it to his guitar ensemble yesterday evening. The new support he has makes playing so much easier. When we arrived he heard the news that another of the other boys in the group broke his femur at the weekend skiing. Two out of six students with broken femurs - now what are the odds of that? After the group we treated ourselves to dessert at the coffee shop next door. It was a real treat.

It has felt great to get back to work though I am having to remind myself not to feel overwhelmed at times. Lack of sleep does not help in those situations but the weekend will be here before we know it.

Mary

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Good morning all...

I got the snafu cleared up with the checks, except I have not contacted Checks Unlimited yet. The customer service lady was very apologetic. Naturally it was not the store's mistake...it was only the check printing company who was at fault.

Whoohoo! I have a new perm! I feel like a new person. :-)
    I enjoy visiting with my hairdresser as much as I enjoy getting a perm. We have so much in common, and talk non stop. She came up with a lot of good information for what I need, with my remoteness and my ailing DH. Her mother had lived with her the past several years, and passed away recently, at 91. One of her suggestions is that I get a Tracfone with prepaid hours, for emergency calls, espacially, both at home and on the road.I plan on checking on that. She admonished me to NOT get on a chair when doing things like the chandelier job, and told me of a neat stepladder that Walmart sells. ( I told her I had stood on a chair for that job.)
    You gals are all great inablers. and so is she. :-)

I took my camera on my trip out, and got more pics of the devestation along the roads and in town. It continues to boggle my mind. I stopped at the One Stop on the way home. One of the local First Responders was there. She pointed out how much worse the fire hazard will be in the woods this year, due to all the downed limbs and trees. As you all know, our home is surrounded by woods! Nothing gives me a greater fear than a wild fire coming through our place.

The predicted rain is beginning. There is the possibility of severe weather....hail and tornados! Just what we need!

I got more yard work done yesterday afternoon. More limbs put on piles, and some clean-up in both front and back beds. How I hope my strength improves. The pain and fatigue are overwhelming when I try to do such jobs.

I feel so sorry for Michelle, and all others who suffer from chronic pain. Only those who do so can understand what it is like. And the sad thing is...the difficulty definitely increases as one ages. 20 years ago I was doing many of the same things that you all are doing now. I scoffed at the older ladies who kept saying..."Wait until you are my age". Of course, having Fibromyalgia, and arthritis at a fairly young age puts one in a differant category than those who have not had such conditions.

Honey, I can understand the job at the florist saving your sanity. When I first got on line it was a 'life saver' for me. Being a member of the Idylls was an added help. then when I goofed up here, the other forum that I was posting on was my mind-saver. I fulfilled my needs there, and am very seldom posting there anymore. My mental and physical setbacks are a constant condition that I struggle with. Having a deteriorating Dh adds to the struggle. I feel as though I am at a higher plateau this year, but who knows when I will plunge again? As I said, I work at it constantly, and I have lots of help...some of which is at a much higher plane. :-)

The story of the kitten and the mama cat is very heartwarming. It sounds very much like something both Nolon and Tim would do. I am happy that anothr kind soul took them in.

I am not able to do the heavy labor that you spoke of , Honey. I once could, but no more....But I do understand how helpful it can be. My finaces prevent me from getting outside help.

My houseplants are an aid to my 'therapy', but they are such a drawback when and if I want to go somewhere for a few days. Even if it was not for staying with Nolon, I would have the plants and the cats to be responsible for. Neighbors would willingly tend to the cats, but I would not,could not, expect them to tend to 100 or so potted plants.:-(

I appreciate your kind words, Honey. And the kind words of others also. They help sustain me.

V, you have a very intriguing house. I love the pics of the stairway.And the paint color is lovely.

Michelle, I hope you can keep your vow towards your place. I certainly did not foresee what all has befell both our house, and ourselves. Having sufficient finances to hire help would make a huge differance also. I never realized how badly a house can deteriorate over the years. I had never lived in one this long before. I can certainly understand the condition of your parent's house. I am sure they did not blindly allow it to get in such a condition.

Saucy, I will pass on the rats. Our cats are more than I need to maintain. :-) I am afrad the rats rather creep me out!

Eden, I love the story about Bella's dream. What a great tribute to her grandmother.

Wow, Kathy! You are catching up on the rainfall aren't you. That is great.
    I am afraid painting is not the solution to our house's needs. There are too many repairs that need done first. About the only things in the interior that could be painted without major repair first is the woodwork and the kitchen cabinets and cupboards. If they were refinished it would perk things up a lot.The cabinet and cupboards need hingework, but otherwise good enameling would really help.

Norma, sorry about your friends RA. I know that is a devestating condition, but varies with it's intensity. It was first thought that I had that, but ruled out when I was not showing the conditions that go with it.
    Your take on Michelle's parents home is similar with mine, and your DH shares Nolon's lack of interest. Of course, now he is unable to do a lot of the things that he once could.

Mary, I am so happy that David's activities are looking up. I can hardly imagine what a relief getting back to a more normal day is to you both. And it is great that Annie had such a nice visit at her aunts.
    I hope the nerve pain is soon gone. There is no worse pain than nerve pain.

Marie, you had such a handsome family! How good that the photogapher had the children smiling. All of the old pics of my relatives are so solemn looking. I am not as good at detecting resemblances as many of you are. I do not see my parents in any of my siblings or myself. My brother comes the nearest. He looks guite a bit lok our dad. If he were dressed the same, the resemblance would be more noticable.
    We do not have the crossbills here. They are farther north, even in the winter. The main bird of that coloring that we have is the purple finches, and they have been rather scarce the past few years.

Honey, your check experience was lots more humiliating than mine! I probably would have never returned to that store. Since I have I new hairdo, the folks in that store will not associate the new me with the earlier snafu. :-)

Marian

• honey_mi
    15 years ago

Marian, I was really embarrassed in the parking lot and the store. I wrote a letter to the head of the nat'l chain and got a note of apology plus a gift certificate. I used the latter, but they lost a customer for good. You may not have that option, but if you do, consider it.

About hiring help, the guy I've been using is out of work, out of unemployment and needs $ to eat. I also make sure I feed him lunch. I do all the prep work ahead of time, get mat'ls, line up everything and work with him to maximize his time here and so I can afford it. I didn't have him often, but it's an option if I need it. He works for very little. It helps both of us.

I'm also fortunate that I can grab the kid next door for little things. DD and I were doing laundry in the dark for about 2 weeks. DH had tightened the light fixture fasteners in the laundry room so tight that neither DD or I could get the globe off. I couldn't use pliers or tools b/c I'd either scratch it up or break the globe. It was just maddening that I couldn't take care of it w/o help. After Mike did my snow last wk, he helped me with the light fixture. Grrrrr. I also have a great neighbor down the street that DH and I have helped from time to time, to call on in an emergency --- like last yrs. faucet/flood snafu. He's been a great help this year.

I have more comments, etc., but must get to many errands. I'll be back. TTYL.

Honey

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Oops, we missed a birthday on the 19th!

Happy Birthday to Prairie Moon! A picture from last spring. It'll be here again soon!

{{gwi:148912}}

Eden

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Well PM! I hope it was a calm and happy one for you. I'm wishing you some good health in this coming year, along with happy family times!

{{gwi:148915}}

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday PM!!!!
    {{gwi:148917}}

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago
  • jak1
    15 years ago

First: I know we need a new thread but I don't know how to start one! Woohoo, PM2, Happy birthday to you (singing). (You really don't want to hear that *LOL*)

And Honey! I don't "know" you yet but you sure have a "Honey" of a house.

I'm afraid that we are much too rough-and-tumble to allow such beautiful decorating to survivie - we have a nice house, but much plainer than yours! I love marble-topped furniture and consider myself to be extremely lucky to have possession of the bedroom suite that my great grandfather gave to his intended as a wedding gift around 1850. I have four pieces: washstand, dresser, bed (a short three quarter!) and a tall bedside table that I use as a plant stand.

{{gwi:148919}}

{{gwi:148921}}

I don't have a decent photo of the nighttable , and I dare not venture into the lair of my son, who is currently living in our basement and sleeping in the bed. When he goes (if ever! Sheesh!) I will turn his room into a guest room and spruce up the bed etc.

I am always looking for good home recipes for household use, and someone has given me one for furniture cleaner/polish. It works wonders on the antiques. We had these pieces in the basement with junk on them until we saw some similar ones for sale in an antique shop. We came home and brought them upstairs in jig time !!

Marie, I love the cardinal photo. You can just feel "Winter" in that shot, and yet...the hope from a beautiful bird! Well done!

Now that I've previewed my message, I can't go back and reread what's been said by everyone! Hate that! I'm going to leave out a whole lot of stuff!

So: Mary, it sounds like David is doing great. The nerve pain means that the nerves are regenerating - as I said somewhere, mine went on for four months. What a drag! But it is really something to celebrate: his body is doing what it is supposed to. Believe me, you all have my sympathies!

Marian: I really get it when you talk of Nolon's deterioration. My DH is still a relatively young man, but much of the vigour and enthusiasm that he harboured in his youth is now spent (Boy! I can really wax poetic when I want to!!). He does do things around here, minor repairs etc., and he does notice when things need doing, but he often puts some things on a list and does them when he is up to it. Often his is not up to it for quite a while. I am very healthy and still energetic so a lot of stuff is done my me, and I remember when these things were not my jobs to do. We have been fortunate to be able to move into a relatively new home where there is not much big physical stuff to be done. But I sure do miss my large 100 year old Victorian, where the ambience of gracious living was evident everywhere. But still I have many many blessings to count!

One thing that is not a blessing is that something is haywire with this computer and it just shuts itself off whenever it feels like. So I am going to post this now and check back later to see if somebody has started a new thread!

Cheers, all!

Julie

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

{{gwi:148924}}

Happy Birthday PM2~~

Martie

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia