Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

#424: The Love Idyll

gardenbug
15 years ago

So many different faces of love...The lacy valentines are only one of many kinds. Let's try to hear from all of us this week!

Comments (105)

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Chelone - Belated Happy Birthday!!

I just love your birthday pics. Brenda's was intriguing and Wendy shows her keen eye with the camera. If you were to look carefully I have actually sported the same Capri pants at 3 Idyllunions so I have you beat! Mine cover a lot more of my hefty thighs compared to your snazzy shorts and great legs. Is it really the big 50? I have a couple more years so tell me how it feels so I can anticipate.

Happy Birthday to Jake too.

Yesterday was mixed. David made it downstairs and was able to use the bathroom which is one less thing for me to worry about. He is enjoying some new games his Playstation and watching TV again. The afternoon though he felt rotten and not even up to seeing friends who dropped by with gifts and cards. Two of my book group brought over dinner for us which was a blessing as I hadn't left his side and having a home made dinner was a treat. I guess it could be the way recovery will go - gains, followed by time needed to recuperate before the next step.

Today we have a follow up visit with the surgeon and x-rays will show how he is progressing. It takes us about 20 minutes to get from David's chair into the car so we will leave in plenty of time.

GB - I LOVE Moroccan stew and make one from an authentic recipe using lamb and prunes. I miss being able to serve it with couscous (a favorite from my former wheat eating days) but find quinoa a good substitute. By the way, we also enjoy quinoa salads so if you need a recipe let me know. I've also found quinoa flour to use in bakin with good results.

Hope to be back later. I wonder if I will be the first poster with this early morning entry?

Mary

• chelone
    15 years ago

Let's wish Abraham Lincoln a happy birthday, shall we?

Kathy, I was probably thinking of that half-wit CEO at GM, yeah, the one who is some lucky he still has a job because he sure doesn't deserve one! ;)

It's raining steadily this morning, if the warmth sticks a round for a bit we should get rid of still more of the ice on the driveway, just in time for more seasonable temperatures to return for the weekend. It's OK with me, spring will eventually arrive, already I can detect the little changes outdoors like fattening maple buds, more light, and trees that take on that sort of rosey glow when the temperatures rise. Sugarin' season is really just around the corner! And, of course, the frost heaves are really making their presence know to unwary motorists... nature's speed bumps. :)

Marian, I am looking forward to seeing your photographic essay on the ice storm. I though the picture of the kitties in the window was just wonderful. Do your's run from one door to the other in hope that the weather just might be different on the other side of the house? And good to know that Nolon is not suffering from pneumonia, though any sort of compromised health is a concern. It takes a lot of thought to put together pictures and the story behind them. I'll bet you're tuckered out.

Saucy, I had completely forgotten you had a birthday boy in your house! I see I share a birthday with another notable personage. :)

V., things really are moving into gear for the coming nuptials, aren't they? And I look froward to hearing about the newly painted basement. I have furniture to move either this afternoon or first thing tomorrow morning so I may get rolling on the floor. I couldn't agree more about purging being good. I am in the unfortunate position of having to purge in secret... so the male of the species doesn't trail behind me bringing the more attractive items back inside... . ;)

I want to go to Martie's for Ky's party... chow sounds delish, I'll bring my own Champagne as beer is not my thing.

And Moroccan beef stew sounds pretty good too. I like raisins... how long before Saucy's Sarah deigns to gobble up a few... oh yeah when they figure out how to raise white ones. Think golden muscats might tempt her?

Time to brave the elements and count the hours 'til quittin' time. Good thoughts to Mary and convalescing David.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Quickly here...

The waters are rising! We may lose the phone line because of it. Never seen it so high and it is not even 8am yet. Today will be a challenge as there is terrible gusting of winds as well. I do so hope DSIL can make it tonight!!! He's driving a PT Cruiser much to his chagrin...Light flurries and rain combined to make more slush. YUCK. It isn't even spring. We often get big snow storms in March.

Later I hope!
    'bug

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Good Morning all....
    I arose about 4:30 this morning and found that the stove had almost gone out and it was 55 inside. Felt pretty cold!

The problem with the storm story...I had it all figured out in my mind, one night a few nights ago, while trying to go to sleep. Now I feel as though I have already told it! :-(

Kathy, the cat's hated what was going on outside. The funniest event with them was while the thaw was going on, and ice was thunderously showering down all around. Tommy needed to go out, badly. He had ventured out once only to be met with a shower of ice. I finally convinced him it was safe to try it again. He tentively inched out to below the abelia, and was contemplating going on, when a gust of wind showered a huge mass down all around him. He charged back to the front door, where I was waiting to let him back in, and came in grumbling. I am sure he said, " You sure did lie to me."!

Chelone, they did go from door to door, hoping the scenario was better at the next one. They kept complaining to us, and I think they thought we should have been able to rectify the situation. After all, I can heat up the interior of the house, and (normally) turn lights on and off, so why can't I do the same outside?

Mary, of course there will be 'those days' with David. I am sure he realizes what you are feeling, also, but his sense of helplessness is bound to be overwhelming. I am happy that he has his music to lean upon, and other interests. I can certainly identify with not feeling like seeing his friends.

Pssst, don't look now, but Chelone is ignoring the 'age' question. ;-)

BTW, I got a kick out of all the pics of her in the shorts, and the other one under the bush....BIG grin!

Ooops, lights are blinking...must post fast..
    Marian

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Just a quick check-in to see that Jerri made it thru her weather okay, and Mary is hard at work doing the home nursing thing.....

V - love that shot, and of course there is nothing more romantic than flowers for weddings, etc., even if one is not a gardener -- that's the time those folks thank those who do love gardening, LOL.... I do think you get off a bit easier because you are the MOG rather than MOB for the bridezilla dramas, so enjoy it for all it's worth.

Yep, going back to winter today as it whirls back in here; one more day of 50ish, but the winds kicked up fierce, and there's talk of snow on Sat.

Mary, I'd love to find some quinoa recipes that are tasty; I confess Im not enamored of the grain (do love that couscous) but know it should be in the diet and like to eat it so it's palatable, LOL.

well, Im sure I've forgotten a bunch of other stuff; duty calls..... 2 more days til the long weekend, YES!

-cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Just a quick pop in to say you've got to check out this garden that was featured in this month's RHS The Garden magazine. Simply gorgeous! Make sure you check out all the pictures by clicking the words along the bottom....

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Very important message from Ein:

{{gwi:149178}}

My mom's birthday was the 11th. I think my dad's gift to her may have been opting to not have open heart surgery, but to lose weight, cut salt, etc, what he's supposed to have been doing lo these 20 yrs...oy!

Marian, O Brave Pioneer Woman! Thanks for the ice storm photos.

That's much better, to hear David is at home and all are catching up on sleep. Hoping for a good report from the surgeon today.

Woody, that gorgeous garden was profiled in Gardens Illustrated recently. Makes you realize why botanical latin is so important when descriptions are in a language other than one's own. Here's a quote from an article from this month's edition I liked:

"As the weeks turn through spring and toward summer, a sea of green seeps through the garden, gradually filling up like a bath, pushing at the fences."

Think spring!

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

O, dear, o dear -- this is terrible -- we have to leave it to the dogs to announce birthdays.... I guess better get a committee together to run this show, LOL (and Im not nominating Chloe)... Ein, dear, thanx for letting us know.

Denise, I hope you had a pleasant birthday, not much out of body experiences for the day, and Im glad to hear that the spouse has decided to get in earnest with the program. You've trained your dawg well (hope he gets bonus treats for this p.r.)...

Happy Belated Birthday, Denise:

{{gwi:149180}}

-- Cindy and Chloe

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

{{gwi:149183}}

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Dear Cindy and Chloe,

Ein obviously muddled that message. Birthday wishes were to my mom, who was 79 yesterday. She had a nice English tea with some of her pals and today heads off on a bus trip to the Huntington Botanical Gardens. For her birthday present, I'm taking her to see Tony Bennett in early March. Like Michelle's pool, there's some technical issue, so temporarily no swimming for her this week.

Sneaking in a photo of my niece Ellie, who seems to have my cowlicks!:

{{gwi:149184}}

• denisez10
    15 years ago

LOL, Michelle!! I'll take it, though, and save it for April!

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Rereading, Cindy, I get it...you thought it was Ein talking the entire message. No, that was me. Marty's heart is fine! Sorry for the confusion...shouldn't post when the head is fuzzy from congestion.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

She's beautiful and cowlicks are wonderful because she won't need "product" to get her hair to do something :)

I love Ein's sign....if you flip it over, does it say, "will work for kibble!"? He's such a handsome guy...did he just have a bath?

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh good! This Love Idyll needed more cat and dog photos and of course sweet baby pictures too! (Although V's black & white shot of The Perfect Couple fit in, well, perfectly!)

Phone & computer still working! Yeah!

Hi David! Hope your afternoon is going well and you are resting a bit too.

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Ha - the joke's on me -- nothing like not following the whole program, Denise (if I had a list, I guess I could have double checked that one)... so Happy birthday to Denise's Mom, LOL.... (& not Ein's mom...).

Just in case we needed more pics to get us going... back to work for sure now.

-cindy

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I just love birthdays on the Idylls. Denise, cute little Ein is so smart! Hi Ellie! She is cute except I don't like babies. LOL I hope you feel better soon Denise.

I'm actually in at work this afternoon. It doesn't take long for the cast to turn into a tourniquet so I've been working from home a lot. My work laptop is very small and hard to type on. It's wonderful to be able to actually type on a real keyboard at a desk.

Mary I'm so happy David is home and starting on his road to recovery. Try not to be discouraged by the setbacks. David will no doubt be on an emotional roller coaster. I know to expect those setbacks and still find them very disappointing and get angry with myself. It's a slow process but he is young and strong and that will help.
    Hugs to you both.

Marian, I'm glad you survived the ice storm OK. I can't imagine being out of power for that long. The internet withdrawal alone would be crippling!

Hi to everybody. I better get back to work and take advantage of my time with a real keyboard! LOL

Jerri

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

'bug, did you notice my sparkly heart letters on Denise's pre-birthday card? I thought they fit well with the love theme.

What a precious little girl, Denise.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Denise, Ellie is an absolute doll! And Ein is a handsome dog. :-)

Jerri, believe it or not, the lack of internet and TV was not all that hard on me. The only time I really missed such things was in the evening when it got too dark to do anything else. My old eyes cannot read by oil lamps anymore. :-(

I need to correct the lenghth of time that we were without power. It was 11 days and 7 hours, not 12 days. I heard on the TV this morning that all the customers on our electric system are back on. Some of the customers on other systems are still off.

I keep going out and assessing the damage to the trees. It will be at least 20 years before the big trees recover. We will need to get a tree company to take down a lot of hanging limbs in our yard trees. I think we will have to get help to clean up the debris too.

It has warmed up again. 60s for a high! Oh...I have crocus in bloom! One yellow, and several lavender. Seem awfully early, but I guess not.
    I also have a Cleome indoors that is getting ready to bloom! That is certainly a first for me. I just could not throw the potted ones away last fall, so one container of 4 plants has spent the winter in the dinningroom sliding door window.
    I have two moth orchids with new blooms too.

Marian

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

I enjoyed Denise's mixed-up unbirthday. Ein's cuteness is only outshone by Ellie. I love her hair!

Despite very heavy winds today, the crew finally showed up and installed 11 of the 25 solar panels. They're supposed to be done tomorrow, but I'm not sure if that is still their goal. Well, at least tomorrow I'll be at the office instead of at home, where the pups barked at every thump and bang.

I hope David is having a better day today.

Not much else to say today - a rather uneventful day.

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I've now circled the sun 50 times. ;)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Ah yes, Chelone. And I am still 26 years, 2 months, and 20 days older than you! May you still be going strong when you are my age. ;-)

Some today's beautys:

{{gwi:149186}}

{{gwi:149188}}

{{gwi:149189}}

{{gwi:149191}}

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Okay, I'm back for my catch-up post :) Chelone, I took several pictures of those flowers with YOU in mind, lol! I told DH at the time that they were for your birthday card.

I can't begin to comment on all I've missed-feels like forever since I've chatted with you all.
    On the farm:
    Year end bookwork is done. DH is now sad, lol. It's time to pay the piper, and it's been a good year. I'm at least optomistic that it will be put to good use.

The newlyweds are living in newly wedded bliss, and adorable as they can be. The photographer had a 3 week bout of salmonella so he just got the pictures posted to his site. I can't link to them, but should be getting a disk of them pretty soon. Oh, and the salmonella had nothing to do with the wedding food ;) Musta got some bad Nutter Butters.

DS has been laid off from his job for several months, but is keeping his head above water nicely. The fear of having to move back home probably keeps him in line, lol!

DH has spent as much time as possible out on the ice, filling the freezer with yummy bluegill for fish fries this summer.

DB is through his 4th round of chemo. This time, his white cell count was low, so they had to give him shots for a couple of days before they could do treatments. I understand this happens? The shots made him pretty miserable, and overall he's pretty tired. Some of his friends are flying him to Florida for 10 days. He leaves tomorrow. He's really looking forward to soaking up some sun. He says he just can't get warm. He's come down twice for a mini-vacation on the farm. We have such a good time, he's just a joy to be around. Sense of humor is still intact, I'm glad to say.

I took over DD's old room and turned it into my "yoga fort". No phones or distractions, and all my best "treasures" are in there. I can't believe how nice it is to have my own room..it's been years! I've been spending at least an hour there pretty much every day. I feel ever so much better, and I'm losing weight again. I'm down to a size 12, and I believe at my biggest, I was either a 22 or 24. The yoga has helped me so much in dealing with all the stress of everything. When I'm focusing on that, I can't think of anything else, and it makes a wonderful break.

There is so much to deal with that I never thought about...family politics, etc., with DB's illness. It tests both my patience and my good humor at times. All in all, life is good, though.

I need to go start something for supper. I know it was all about me, but every one of you are in my thoughts. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It's so good to come and read the posts, and see that life is going on, not all good, not all bad, just going on the way it does.
    I'll be back :)
    Brenda
    PS-My skydiving buddy still checks up on me from time to time. I'm gonna have to pinch his little face when I see him again, he's a good egg. A bunch of the people from the drop zone are in Puerto Rico this week...woo hoo! I was pretty jealous, I have to admit. However, if I had learned to jump solo, I'd have gone to Puerto Rico. If I had gone, I'd have missed looking at wedding pics with my excited little girl. I'm thinking I'll pass on a thrilling solo skydiving career for the time being, and be happy just being who I be ;)
    Take care, all!
    Oh, and happy birthday to Denise! I'm gonna get it together one of these days and get you ALL in my cell phone!

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Brenda, Happy to have an update from you. I can identfy with your DH's end of year blues. I wish your DB lots of sunshine and warmth while in FL.
    Boy I think I better take up yoga and drop a few sizes. Congratulations on that.

Marian I was wondering if you had crocus yet. I spotted a couple while doing some yard clean up today. I'm sorry you had so much tree damage. I've not had a chance to view your pictures yet.

Denise, Ellie is a doll.

Woody I enjoyed the garden you linked to.

Pm, the pond is deep enough for fish,but I only have one right now, and yes the fields are on our property.

Kathy I will try to find a summer view of the pond soon.

Jerri, how much longer in the cast?

Not much going on here. I think the fresh air today has made me tired.

Here's hoping Wayne made it to Maries this evening.

Cheers, Norma

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hi Idylls, My eyes are tired from uninterrupted computer work today, so I ll make this brief.. Snow level down to 2000 feet tonight so we may see a dusting on top of our hills in the morning. My seedling viewing this evening revealed nothing new, I fear that some of the years old seeds that I tried to start are not viable. Thats okay though, when my Coleus seeds from Parks come Ill replace the duds.

So great to hear from Brenda and Norma ! Brenda, Im really impressed by your discipline with your Yoga regimenIm planning to get back into my daily walking when the daylight savings returns.

Marian I love that yellow Phal !

Hi Jerri, Michelle,et al.. and Im just really becoming attached to Ein. Maybe I need a Corgi.

Later folks

Kathy in Napa

• drema_dianne
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Chelone and Denise! I hope you both had great ones. I still can't figure out this Mac. I tried to upload pics for your BD with no luck. I am hoping I can get someone to show me how this weekend, but didn't want to wait any longer to send greetings. Chelone, I did take some pics of the kitchen project as you requested. I am changing the color I picked. It looks like mud on the wall:)
    Denise, I love Ein! My son is Corgi crazy, and determined to get one as soon as the lease is up on his apt and he can move into a house.

Drema

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Brenda, we've yet to have our tax appointment in fact that was tonights project. We aren't sure how sad we will be yet - it was a good year here as well. I was just about to start bugging you about wedding pictures. It's warmed up in Florida again after some really cold weather, so hopefully your DB gets warmed. I've been listening to the Orlando weather on my satellite car radio since DD moved there.

It appears that spring is arriving in the south.

50 times huh Chelone? You're 1 1/2 times ahead of me.

Not much going on here other than we had another really nice day.

Michelle

• chelone
    15 years ago

Wow, it sure was nice to get an update from Brenda. You crack me up, when we hadn't heard from you I was beginning to fear the worst about your brother. Good to know he's holding his own and the sense of humor remains intact in sprite of adversity. It's my own opinion that a sense of humor is the most important thing in the world, nothing rivals the restorative powers of quit wit, a practical joke, or a good belly laugh. Unless it's having your very own clubhouse to retreat to when things get tough. I don't know why it made me chuckle that you have birthdays stored on your 'phone.... can't do that with the rotary kind! ;)

Ellie is a baby. Everyone says babies smell good, I wonder what part of them people who say that are smelling? I hate babies. And dogs. Just wanted to remind everyone, so you won't think I've gone soft in my latter years. :) (Jerri, Sue we gotta stick together since we're outnumbered).

Today is the day I'm going to prime the Salon floor... I THINK. The helpmeet is going to help me schlep Cynthia's love seat and the remaining furniture in there to the ground floor this morning. And I'm debating adding yet another dollop of pheonoseal to the nail holes. It will require at least 2 hrs. to "set" before painting so I'm going to sashay on out there and do a test area to see if it gives the desired effect before plungeing in and doing the entire floor for the 3rd. time... . (I have definitely gone soft on this part of the job).

I won't intrude on Sue's "territory" but I'm some glad I don't have to work "there" today. Yesterday was an unadulterated drag; under the weather boss (read: irritable), a silent shop (no NPR, no music, no conversation), inadequate work order coupled with irritated looks/comments when clarification was required (which lead to mistakes on something that needed to be installed). Bad cess all the way around. I couldn't get far enough away fast enough and while I'm "barely employable" that's not my style, at all. It's just easier to do something properly the first time around and I can't do that when work orders lack information or I'm made to feel inadequate for asking for clarification. VERY frustrating for me.

I came home to find the helpmeet scurrying around trying to get the antennae rigged to pick up the digital TV signal. I delegated that task to him several months ago and he's been dragging his feet (and other anatomy) about getting it accomplished. Naturally, we are in a "dead zone" and will lose 2 of the 4 channels we presently receive FREE next Tuesday UNLESS we add an antennae to the roof ($800), buy a dedicated computer and use the internet cable, mouse and keyboard to connect to web streaming ($?), give TWC more money for another crummy service that costs too much already, or just shrug and remove network TV from our list of entertainment options. I'm very disappointed that PBS is one of the stations we'll no longer receive (will miss the News Hour greatly). I felt cornered and badgered into making a decision last night and was unable to convey my irritation that this was not discovered some months ago so I simply went to bed.

I did get a reprieve when I had my hair cut, though. :) One look in the mirror this morning and I'm reminded of that picture of Ellie, lol. I've got the same look happenin' here, only the hair is grey and there are more crow's feet on the face.

Drema, you're scarin' me about the Mac. The concensus among those I know who use them is that they are the terrific. Clearly I remain skeptical (as well as inept). I laughed at your comment about mud on the wall, I know the feeling, except mine is going to be mud on the floor. Can't wait to see the pictures of your kitchen.

OK, time to refill the coffee cup, mosey on out to the Salon and crank up the caulking gun. While I'm doing that I'll send good vibes to Mary, David, and all my "virtual" friends. And I'll hope 'bug's SIL arrived safely and was able to cull the raisins from his dinner with success.

Later!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning! Can you believe it is almost the middle of February? I can feel my excitement building that spring is almost here!

Finally, DH is starting to feel a little better. He has the day off on Monday and it would appear he will be ready to get back to work by Tuesday. I am still waiting for a little more energy and keeping my fingers crossed it arrives before spring. Or it could be that it arrives with spring. Not another thing new here.

Wondering if gardenbug and company have floated away?

Drema...I meant to tell you that I have a Mac too. I just love it to death. There was a period of time when I first got it that I had to make the adjustment from using a Windows based machine. I remember complaining about all the differences. What made a huge difference, was that technical support can be in person. I live within 10 minutes of an Apple store and in the beginning I would set up an appointment to go in and see them, which was often within hours of my call and take myself and my machine down there and they were amazing the way they straightened out every problem I had. Then once I learned a little more about using their software, I found that I preferred everything about it over the old machine. My DH still has a windows based machine because he needs it for work and I feel sorry for him because he has had repeated problems. I would highly recommend that you take advantage of their generous and capable tech support in person if possible.

Denise....Isn't Ellie just the sweetest! Such a pink little bundle and that hair, such a lot of it! How old is she? Our DD had hair that stuck up straight all over her head like a crew cut when she was a baby...lol. Now she has nice thick straight beautiful hair. I love your Ein's sweet little face. I wish you lived closer and I would offer to doggy sit for you. [g] How did Ein come by his name? Is it Irish? ....Tony Bennett was a favorite of my Mom's too. Her very favorite song was 'I Left My Heart In San Francisco'. He is still in such great voice for his age.

Norma...I am impressed that you dug out that pond yourself. Now there is a garden project that I would find very intimidating. Setting up a pond so that it worked well and fit into the landscape can't be very easy. I wonder if it attracts lots of wildlife? You must get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Brenda...what a nice post from you. I wonder if your DB is getting any nutritional support while he is going through the chemo? A visit to a naturopath could make a difference in his ability to tolerate it and hopefully help him to feel a little better through the process. .... You are sounding pretty good, considering. Your comment about the newlyweds had me remembering what it was like to be one and wondering if we were adorable too...lol. I am happy to hear you have started back to Yoga. Sounds like it is making a real difference.

Marian...crocus coming up after such an ice storm? We are weeks away from any crocus here.

Great garden Woody, thanks for the link. How is your work coming along? When is your class finished and will your garden plans be the whole of your grade?

Cindy...not sure if they have quinoa recipes, but Food Network's website has been a great source of recipes for my DD. She likes that they are reviewed by people who use the site.

Also loved the sound of the food at Ky's party!

Hope to hear how David's appointment went yesterday.

Kathy...I googled some LadyBank photos yesterday and didn't realize that the one in Arizona takes up 8,000 square feet. The trunk is massive! .... I am starting to feel the urge to plant seeds. Would love to see seedling photos. :-)

Saucy...what did Jake get for his BD?

Well, looks like the novella post is back. Hellos all around... :-) pm2

Just refreshed...Chelone...not fair to have aggravation in the middle of your BD week! Correct me if I am wrong, but the purpose of the Salon is to start working for yourself? I imagine after a day like that, you cannot wait. I can get aggravated just thinking about how much our cable bill is, so I hear ya. I wanted to point out, that our public library network carries a huge selection of DVDs including PBS specials if that helps any. That added to NPR on the radio might at least offer another option.

OK...good bye again.. :-)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Waters are down, it is cold once more. Wayne is asleep still after we laughed and cried together until 2am. Off to start breakfast and the wood stove.

Later!

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Sounds like it's going to be a special Friday the 13th at 'bug's house -- neato.

Great to see Brenda pop in -- I love the concept of a yoga fort - I need one desperately....

Michelle -- impressed you're going on the taxes; Im still waiting for some info; I just hate that there's one company that totally waits until the last legal deadline to send their stuff out; usually this is the weekend I get mine filed... o well; not something in my control so I guess I better ohm and let it go....

It's back to winter; my VT SIL and her 90 yr old mom have breezed into town (my former MIL I guess I should say; but we all disregard the former biz..) and I expect to catch up w/ them somehow; I also need the SIL to come critique the family room -- of course if her critique is bad, I'll just live with it anyway, LOL; but as she was an interior designer in a prior life, I always enjoy her opinions and she's great at hanging things on the wall - the last thing I've avoided, since Im so bad at it...

I hope all have a safe, cosy 13th day -- glad you get freedome Chelone to relax from the crapola of that cess place!

Im hoping to WALAT somehow this weekend to search for signs of life and spring.

--Cindy

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Happy Friday 13th. Sarah used it as the excuse for why her alarm clock didn't wake her :)

Time for me to get dressed and head over to the school for some Valentine's fun. Yes, Chelone, there will be a party, with rice crispie treats and cards to swap.

Happy 5-0, friend. I didn't realize you were having a milestone birthday. We'll have to find a way to mark this occassion at Idyllunion :)

I'm glad to hear that Wayne made it safely over the rising waters!

Have a great day all! I don't know what I'm doing this weekend, but I hope it involves some extra sleep, as there is no WALATING with snow still on the ground.

Later gators.

Saucy

• wendy2
    15 years ago

Good morning Idylls!

Back to cold weather today, after 2 days in the 50's. Oh well, it is only February, we know winter is not over yet. I'm looking forward to thumbing my nose at Deanne's in a few weeks.

Brenda, good to hear from you. Florida sounds great about now, your DB will enjoy it. How great that his friends are able to do that for him.

Chelone, I hope this doesn't irritate you further, but I believe the switch to digital TV has been postponed until June since so many people weren't ready. There was some snafu with the gov't coupons for the converter boxes I guess.

Marian, nice to see some crocus! We've had a lot of melting here, but it is still too early for crocus. Maybe the snowdrops have been uncovered though - I'll check tomorrow.

Duty calls - waving to all!

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Good Morning,

Didn't realize it was Fri the 13th until I read it here. I attended Bella's school Valentines party yesterday. Yep, rice krispies treats, also strawberries and jello jigglers. We went to Sesame Street Live last night. Fun for Bella and fun for us because she was having fun. Does that make sense?

Chelone, Happy Birthday! 50s aren't so bad. I've been there for a year and a half now. Hoping the salon floor painting goes smoothly for you.

Denise, what a darling baby Ellie is. I can almost smell her pink baby-ness through the screen. Makes me even more excited for Kate's arrival in April! And Ei is quite the handsome fellow holding his sign, lol.

Got to run, time for some backgammon.

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Friday the 13th...and DH's birthday. But he's off to work, Wayne is off to the airport, Phoebe is sad to have them gone, and I am presently taking a holiday from dishes and other obligations.

No Chelone, the 50s are just fine from my perspective. I wouldn't mind being that age once again...but the good news is that I wouldn't change my late 60s for anything either. I've been quite lucky!

The waters are down about 4 feet, the sun is shining on and off, and the cold has returned.(21F) Yesterday I saw a blue heron flying overhead.

It seems that because February is an even four weeks long that we'll have another Friday the 13th next month too.

Nice to see Brenda's update, PM2's news...and now waiting for Sue's posting. What will the colors be??? My bet is RED!

'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

Gee, I didn't realize it was Friday the 13th., either!

Phenosealing is accomplished and we're into the "cure" time now. I'm procrastinating, have alterations to do in the Lab. and some curtain panels to split in two and shorten, as well. I don't feel like doing any of it, but it's work.

I know the switch over has been postponed but individual stations have the option of delaying full conversion or sticking with the February 17 cut off date. NHPTV is opting for the latter (we can't get MPBN here with regularity) which is understandable as operating both is an expensive proposition. What really chaps my ass about the whole thing is that there is no competition for us, it's TWC or nothing. You can't even use a satellite dish without paying them to unscramble the signal. It's a rip-off, it's not fair, and more importantly it turns over control of airwaves to corporate entities, further consolidating control of broadcast media. This alarms me as it has the potential to further isolate and marginalize people without the means to pay when what was once free becomes inaccessible; in particular the elderly, those who struggle with English, or live in remote areas. For us it is a relatively minor irritation, but for many I fear it will present unnecessary hardship and only increase isolation.

Cindy, I'm with you about hanging things on the walls. I have the toughest time deciding what should go where although I'm pretty good at determining the appropriate height. There is just something so final about putting hooks on the wall... what if you get it wrong?

Marian, I meant to tell you how lovely your indoor plants are! just beautiful. I suspect you do more fussing over them than you let on. ;) And it's a real treat to see crocus in an outdoor setting (you, too, Norma), it's gonna be awhile before that happens here.

I love Tony Bennett (big surprise). We have a CD he did with KD Lang some years ago and there are some nice numbers on it. I really admire the "old" performers, the ones who know how to work with a band, put on a show, and are polished, professional, SMOOTH. I like hearing nice melodies and witty, intelligent lyrics that are delivered clearly with no mumbling. You and your mother are going to have a great time, Denise. I'm envious.

OK, I've prattled too much and need to get some hemming done before I squander too much more time.

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Must not scan the Idylls at work...

I was wondering why anyone would want a Yoga Fart???
    ROFL

Jerri

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

With so many over at FB now I forgot I still need to do this here as well. No red-will pink do?

Happy Friday!

Sue

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Sue, What is FP?

• denisez10
    15 years ago

That's great news your DH is feeling better, PM. Hope you find that energy burst just when you need it. We had a giddy moment ourselves yesterday after Marty got back from the doc, saying he was released to go back to work today. He's been off since the 26th of December!

Not being a HGTVer, like Cindy, seeing Eden's and Chelone's links has finally focused for me what is being aimed at with the salon floor, which is exactly something I've been contemplating doing to an old wood table for outdoor dining, so now I'm all attention for more details on how many coats and what kind of polyurethane/varnish etc protects the design. Much smaller area than Chelone has to deal with so maybe I'll even attempt some stenciling. The trestle legs of the table are in good condition but the top is trashed (a curbside rescue).

Brenda, so nice to hear from you and big congrats on the weight loss. Your DH ice-fishes! That's something Duncan has been fascinated by. Keeping the laughs and ditching the family politics during illness is definitely the tricky part, so best wishes on that score.

Since there were so many nice comments about Ellie, I'll write a bit more. (Chelone, Sue & Jerri can briefly do the cyber equivalent of sticking fingers in ears, chanting lalalalala) She definitely "takes" more after her mom, who is half Chinese, so she'll have those beautiful, fine-boned genes. She's just three months. Her sister Katie is 4 and seems to take more after our side of the family. Ellie's godmother is a former model, native to Mobile, and is also half-Chinese, so my SIL and her friend together really turn heads. I call such women the "bird women," incredibly fine-boned. I'd guess at least Sue, Martie & Michelle may also be of the tribe of bird women.

Sounds like it was a nice visit. 'bug. Your tantalizing Moroccan stew morphed into wondering about Moroccan blue, so googling I find this: "Chefchaouen is a small Berber town located in the Rif Mountains of Northern Morocco. The entire center of the old city is painted an irridescent blue." And now I know my fence is Moroccan blue thanks to your stew!

{{gwi:149193}}

Drema, Ein was named by Duncan after this character from the Japanese cartoon Cowboy Bebop. Dune was 13 when we got Ein. That cartoon uncannily captures a corgie's antics (anyone remember the scene in Broadcast News when Albert Brooks sarcastically comments on clumsy alliteration: "Pretty peppy party"? a movie for the Netflix queue, Kathy)

{{gwi:149195}}

(Jerri, I thought the two were inseparable ;)

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Just a quick post here. As soon as I get home tonight, DH and I are taking off for a couples cooking class in Chicago. We may have to compete with the Obamas for expressway access, so our exit will be hasty. The cooking class is on Indian cuisine and was DH's Christmas present to me.

If Michelle, Sue, Martie and Ellie are of the bird woman tribe, then I am of the elephant woman tribe!

Glad to hear that GB is safe, and would like to see an update from Mary.

Too much freeze and thaw here to WALAT - the result would be more like a WALLOW!

The work schedule is very stressful. Too much to do in too little time, and communication is very disjointed. I am speculating that some are too resentful of the temporary cuts to take the time to leave detailed messages or send emails to resolve the comunication issues.

Speaking of work, I should be beack at it.

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I have the prime coat finished. My wrists, forearms, and pectorals are really tired. It'a a big area, just under 900 sq.ft., and the Advantec sub-flooring has a uneven surface (think Oriented Strand Board) that is very thirsty. End result was that I had to really work the roller to get the primer to coat the surface throughly. It took the best part of 5-6 hrs.. I just finished cleaning the brush, roller, roller cover, and the pan. You'll be thrilled to learn that I took pictures, no doubt.

V., a member of the elephant tribe, indeed! I sympathize with the upheaval at work completely. It's hard when you have to go through a cycle like that. Since you likely pay attention to detail and find that doing a good, thorough job is easier than not it must be very disruptive for you. I hope you're able to use your extra day at home to do fun wedding stuff.

Denise, any chance you could put up a shot of the trestle table? sounds like a fun project, what are your ideas thusfar or is this a nascent project?

I'm pooped, I'm outta here and on my way to bed. Have a nice evening, everyone.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I had a tradition for a few years of going to the Mendocino County coast over the p-day weekend. My employer does not recognize this as an official holiday , but I have worked there so long and have such a backlog of PTO days I would take it off an go hang out with my BILS. Winter is often nice on the Nor Cal coast nice meaning not foggy .BILs being now in Oregon , Ill go to work Monday as usual. We are expecting rain all weekend along with high winds. Im not complaining, we need the moisture badly. Im thinking Ill give the house a spring cleaning so that Ill feel less guilty about blowing off housework and going outside when the weather gets nice again.

Ive been continuing to accumulate photos of buildings around the city for my promised architecture thread. Since it will be overcast here (good photo weather) I will take some photos this weekend during rain breaks.

Chelone, I concur that the analog-digital thing has been postponed. Im on satellite so am unaffected (and all I care about is baseball anyway) , and have not been paying close attention , but there has been much letter to the editor activity in the SF Chronicle on the topic-I hope you got the furniture schlepped down the stairs and the floor project is proceeding I was extremely fond of Tony Bennett as a child and have pirated (:-( bad Kathy) some of my favorites, notably Tender is the Night , "Who Can I Turn To among others. I used to listen to his albums over and over.

Yay for Marty , returning to his aqua-awfice ..I saw a book on the close-out table at our local indie book store called Gardens of Morocco(always regretted not buying it) and blue was featured prominently. I have a couple of old redwood chairs that have seen better days that I am seriously thinking of sanding and painting; one Moroccan blue and one either a light green shade of some sort or a primrose yellow. Now that the garage is cleaned I need a project to do in it !

A wave to all, I m making some pasta salad for dinner and then its off to read the paper.

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Our cooking class got canceled, so we had a quiet night at home instead. The instructor was coming down with a cold, and I only can appreciate the fact that he did not want to share.

Cooler this evening so we had a nice fire. Not too much else new. Tomorrow, I shall banish myself to the basement with naught but the sanding blocks, the vacuum, the spackle and the putty knife. Oh, do I know how to have fun! Next thing you know, I'll be begging Chelone to send me some of that pheonoseal.

Maybe when the basement is all done, I'll redecorate the loft into my own fort. That area just needs serious "shovel pruning", not painting. Hmm, the wheels are turning...

V.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day!

{{gwi:149197}}

Just a delicious photo I found. Love the simplicity of it. Looking forward to a nice Valentine's Day dinner this afternoon with some kind of chocolate confection.

Wow, I slept all the way through the night last night and so did DH! Things are looking up. :-)

Denise...How exciting that Marty is feeling well enough to return to work. I was worried that he was going to have a hard time getting back to pain free. He is pain free at this point? Six weeks out of work, so are you going to miss having him around more? So how is Kate enjoying her new sister? Four is a really nice age, when they really start talking and saying the cutest things.

Gardenbug....I must have missed why Wayne was visiting, but wow, how nice for you both to get a chance to catch up like that. Sounded like a very rejuvenating time for you both. Glad the waters are receding. Are we going to get photos of booties soon?

Cindy....Count me among those who hate to hang things on the wall.

Eden...April is really coming fast, all of you must be getting so excited. What does Bella have to say about the anticipated arrival?

V...I don't envy you the paint prep in the basement. I actually enjoy painting but I hate the prep work.

Tony Bennett favorite songs...'Yesterday I Heard the Rain' and 'This is All I Ask', among others.

Enjoy the day!
    pm2

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I lived with bare walls for 2 or more years! I leaned the pictures up against the wall (but carefully!) all because I did not want to put a hole in the beautiful smooth plaster!

Now there is a pig diving into a pond on the wall!

It's a beautiful sunny morning here, and I joined the PM family in a good sound full night's sleep. When I woke, a realization came over me: we have no big plans for the day! Yippee!

SunnyD and I are going to go to Tower Hill tomorrow and stroll the orangerie. I need to use my membership. They have the best membership idea - it's a friend membership, and I have passes for up to 4 others! So I can invite my husband if I want, or any of you!

I'm going to go start my day of leisure. I might fold some clothes, but only if I think I will enjoy doing it :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is a cold and odd morning...and that beautiful chocolate valentine is staring at me! ;)

I think I will ask DH to sit with me and help solve 8-10 computer problems as my valentine gift. I'll help him select a wedding gift for his voice teacher in return, maybe take him out to lunch. I wonder if any of this will transpire or if it is all a dream.

PM, Wayne was in a town about an hour or so away doing his annual job training. As an officer, he must practice using pepper spray, his firearm, his batton, etc. When he arrived here he was exhausted from wrestling huge hulks to the ground and other heavy physical stuff. But Phoebe was thrilled to have a true friend who wrestles! She actually cried for a while after he left. Oddly enough, he returned about 20 minutes later to collect his forgotten watch and she was ecstatic! We all had good conversation and sharing. As to booties, I am disappointed with the one I completed. Too big at the base, too small a foot opening. Think I'll try a different pattern later on...I sent a box of goodies home with Wayne and included the little hat I made along with Valentines, baby garments, sunflower seeds, sparklers for birthday cakes and more...

As to pictures, I have decided to hang 5 photos above a couch in my study. I need to select which 5 and order them today. That is one of the jobs I'd like DH to help me with.

DH is still snoring so I think I'll go take a leisurely bath.

Bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

I have already completed the "fly over" of the newly painted floor and found a few places in need of auxiliary filling and a few nails that needed to be put in their places. No matter how careful I am there are always a few "holidays". Next step is to go to the rental place and come back with the floor buffer and more sandpaper for the palm sander. Also 2 (?) gallons of the base color. It promises to be a long day, but I'm looking forward to it.

Hang in there, V., the prep. work is the pits to do but you'll be glad you spent time on it in the end. The helpmeet teases me that I spend more time on prepping things than I do on the final steps. Ummm... YEAH. That's precisely the point, darling! :)

Denise, I think I notice the beginnings of a "poor attitude" in the picture of little Miss Ellie... I direct your attention to her little, tiny finger on her right hand. Perhaps I was a tad too hastey in my estimation of the little squirmer. ;) I'll bet Marty can't wait to get back to work; being at home is all well, fine, and good IF you're able to do things you'd like to. But it can be torture when you're unable to capitalize on the leisure time. He crosses my mind regularly, you know. I have frequent contact with the guys who operate the tugs on the river and I have to say that to a one they are all the nicest guys you'd ever hope to meet. There is a quiet confidence about them and they take their work and the safety required of them very seriously. Interestingly, many of them are members of the volunteer fire dep'ts. in their towns. I have the same feeling about most of the fishermen, too.

I'm looking forward to an update on David. You're right, Mary, the recovery involves lots of ebb and flow with progress, set-backs, and plateaux aplenty to test everyone's patience and resolve. It helps to remind yourself of that, but boy! it's hard sometimes. Hang tough.

Woody, I absolutely love that shot of Misty's face. Those bright eyes in that furry face are just wonderful. I have looked at the linked garden pictures a few times only to be called away. They're beautiful. I was very taken with the starkness of the winter shot on the opening page... those who believe the winter landscape is dull are woefully uninformed or just not very observant. Fun link. How's the course going?

Marian, ditto above for your ice storm pictorial.

Gotta get laundry load number one hung up and number two under way, and then it's off to accomplish the shopping and rental. Talk atcha all later.

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

A big step forward yesterday which was great as the night before had been the worse yet with David unable to get comfortable in any position. Despite lack of sleep he worked with the physical therapist and got onto the side of the tub then to a shower seat to have his first shower in 11 days - yay!! In the afternoon he played games with me, we then negotiated the doostep to get the wheelchair into the garage and pushed him though the neighborhood. It felt wonderful to be outside. Friends came over in the evening to watch a movie together. Best of all, David's sense of humor had returned and he was even teasing his sister. That has to be an important landmark in recovery LOL!

Last night was great - everyone slept restfully but I feel down this morning. Ruth was unable to drive up last night as road conditions were poor and icey and she would have been driving in the dark on her own. We decided it was safer for her to come another time when she doesn't have to rush back or worry about weather. Safety above all else must come first. DH leaves this afternoon for 2 weeks and then I will be totally on my own. The nagging question of when the nerves in David's leg will start working is weighing so heavily on my mind and the worse case scenarios are presenting themselves far too often.

As a practical measure I rented a wheelchair ramp (for a ridiculous amount of money) so I can push David out of the house by myself. If things go well today I might even try to take him to hear the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet play tonight with the Rochester Philharmonic. I need to call first to make sure I can negotitate with a wheelchair but I have a handicapped sticker to make parking easier. Getting into and out of the car is the hardest part. I don't want to look forward to it too much incase it doesn't work out but I'm quietly optimistic.

V - I too know how to have fun. Two days ago I took advantage of the thaw and decided to do the mid-winter poop pickup. The fact that picking up buckets of half-frozen poop in driving sleet and near gale force wind was a great release I guess speaks to the stress of the last 2 weeks.

Denise - wonderful to hear Marty is heading back to work!!

Sue - I guess I'm ignorant as to FB too though I imagine it's another forum. I doubt I'll be anywhere other than here for a long while and really appreciate all the support you guys have given.

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Happy Valentines Day!

Cindy, I hope the new houseguests are a more positive experience than the last.

Mary, it really is best to get the poop patrol done when its frozen though LOL Its good to hear that Davids sense of humor is back, but I can understand your worries about the nerve and the long term effects. Hopefully, the concert will be able to happen, it sounds like you both need a fun outing.

Denise, good to hear that Martie is back to work. The table sounds like a neat idea.

Woody, I really enjoyed the link to the beautiful garden. The potager gave me some ideas.

Chelone, it sounds like you are undertaking a huge project. I agree on all the prep work though. I think Ill spend the day finishing up loose ends on some of our projects.

DH, is on to his next project which is taping the garage walls which were insulated and sheetrocked several years ago. It will be nice to get that project done. Im sure that painting will be my part.

I too am contemplating what to hang in the newly painted office. The fireplace needs something new above it, but what? I lost 2 walls where I had family photos displayed, so what to do with those. When you have 6 kids, 10 grandkids and numerous other relatives, the pictures that demand to be displayed becomes daunting.

bug, it sounds like your visit with Wayne was short but enjoyable.

PM, isnt a good nights sleep just the best? The cake looks yummy and I just love the white roses with it.

DD was telling me that Kenzie had her first Valentines Party. She was assigned to bring carrots and dip. She was pretty excited about the whole thing.

Have a great day!

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I like reading of everyones plans for today. I particularly like Maries small kindnesses for Valentines day, she and DH showing support for each other by helping with quiet tasks. I woke this morning wondering if I should take a live-for-today approach and paint my dining room red, even though I dont know how long my tenure here will be at this point. I would only have three walls to paint and the room is small and would not take long, and with the employee discount the paint wouldnt cost me much. .

And also thanks to Chelone for reminding my to thank Woody for posting that beautiful garden photo link. I have bookmarked it for multiple viewings !

Close inspection of my seedling tray reveals no sign of some of the seeds I planted from years-old packets. Ill give them a few more days before I give up on them .

Mary, happy to hear that David is making some progress, and smiled at your description of the joys of poop-scooping. How nice it would be if he were able to go on an outing to hear some music, even if you were not able to stay for the entire concert.

Hoping Saucy takes her camera to Tower Hill !

OK, going to start some cleaning---great day to all !

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks