Idyll #425 Cupid's Arrow is Aimed at Spring

saucydog
15 years ago

Carry on Idyll friends!

Comments (103)

• denisez10
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice to know Sarah is eating enough for two! And I had my first fondue meal ever on Valentine's Day, a restaurant called The Melting Pot, which was packed with people. Remnants of a head cold prevented actually tasting the food, but the textures were good and all that busywork makes the meal extra fun. Fondue seems to come and go in popularity. I remember friends in the '80s getting excited about fondue.

Chelone, the idea of painting the table top came about because it is trashed and could not be varnished. The legs are in much better shape, probably a better quality wood. It was found on a curb outside a church and definitely has that ecclesiastical vibe, lol. Funny you should mention amount of staffing at the pilot station. Budgetary concerns and the slowdown in shipping traffic have the "golden handshake" in play, and Marty may be retired by next fall. There's currently 16 pilots, nine boat crew. The safety record at LA Harbor, knock wood, has been very good, but we're a relatively calm harbor with mild winters. I know the Columbia River pilots, up where Kathy aims to move in the PNW, lost a pilot a couple years back. We actually chatted with the boat operator involved in the fatality when we made an informal visit on a road trip years ago, before the incident. Knowing that the friendly man now has this awful burden to bear, losing a pilot....shudder...

V, the wood came up a treat, and those solar panels, oohlala!

(pssst, the tv is by Samsung, SKU #LN32A330, currently on sale at Best Buy in our area. It's not a huge screen but 32 inches, "720p HD tv flat panel, LCD," whatever that means)

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think you should knit something pink, GB!

Sarah's sick now, so I'm playing nurse to her and working as best I can in between. This was a curious little virus: 2 days of a high fever that caused pain in the head and neck (but not lethargy) and then wake up feverless with laryngitis. Jake had it last week, and Sarah's has followed his exact course.

V., did you tell us what the solar panels will supplement? Hot water is my guess.

Spooning and shagging....what have the Idylls come to?

Love the picture, Denise! I hope your new t.v. was on board! That's kind of a funny thought...

I know I meant to comment on more, but it has left my brain.

Mary, glad to hear things are a little better. I hope David begins to get some good rest so that you in turn can have some! I think sleep deprivation is my kryptonite - I turn to mush without it :)

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Since I wrote this yesterday in spurts and never got it posted with those auditors skulking around, Id best just post it with out updating.

Weve been having mild, dry weather here and most of our snow is gone. Only the dirty piles are left and even they are diminished.

This was yesterday:
    Im sneaking in a quick post before my auditors come back and bug me. It really is hard to get anything else done while they are here. DH had to be in my area this a.m. so he took me out to lunch and since its 45 degrees we took a nice walk afterwards. A perfect way to de-stress.

Mary, Im sure when David is healed and this is all a dim memory he will want to ski again. Kind of like having a baby, during labor you think Ill never go through this again ;O) Great to hear that he was able to do some flexing.

Julie, it looks like you had an enjoyable vacation. I love the tub picture.

Deanne, I dont have nearly 45 varieties of coleus, but upon looking at a few online sources and catalogs, Im glad I have the ones I do as the prices I saw were over five dollars each. Im glad the pink geranium is blooming for you. Mine are too, I also have a salmon colored one that blooms a lot in the winter. Most of the rest of the varieties really dont do much indoors.

Hi to all Ive missed.

Have a great day
    Michelle

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I'm taking a brief break from my schoolwork... :-)

Lots going on here!

Julie - it looked like you all had a great holiday - and nice to come home to completed Julie-Jobs...

V - If we lost the ash tree in the backyard, I'd consider solar panels on the back roof although it wouldn't be an ideal position. What direction does that roof face? There's an interesting house being built at the end of the street behind us. They are using those styrofoam building forms with the reinforcing rods built in. I gather what you end up with is a reinforced concrete house that is very quiet, well-insulated and air-tight: a 'passive' energy efficient house. If I had the opportunity to build a house from scratch, that's what I'd do I think. Re the lobster and the fondu pot - my thoughts exactly!

Denise - I loved the picture of the pilot boat. Very scary work though especially, as Chelone says, in colder climates like the east coast. What sort of career path takes one to that kind of job? i.e. I can't imagine a kid growing up saying 'I want to be a boat pilot', so where do the pilots come from - what did they do before getting into that/how does one train for it?

Mary - wonderful that David is getting some movement back! Such efforts do take an incredible amount of energy, a lot of it mental. So there's a lot of plateaus to go through - one step forward; pause to regroup; another step forward, etc. It's a long process but, at his age, it'll like pick up steam very fast once things get moving.

gb - go for pink - does that mean you know that pink is appropriate....?

Here is a little something from my schoolwork - my plan for a tuteur for the vegetable garden: (this is just the rough draft but you'll notice I can't do that printing!)
    {{gwi:149597}}

Time to get back to work... Hi to all I've missed commenting on.

• chelone
    15 years ago

One of the helpmeet's very favorite colors is pink. Not the soft, dainty pink often associated with little infant girls (unless it's on a button down collar dress shirt), but deep, rich, vibrant, "shocking" pink.

I say you ought to go for it, 'bug. You could add handsome accents in deep, equally rich blue.

What a Surprise it will be! :)

• jak1
    15 years ago

{{gwi:149598}}

{{gwi:149599}}

Hi all! I noticed while looking through the posts that I hadn't really shown my little guy with a smile - so there they are. In photo 2, you can only see DD's smile!!

Finally might be catching up with the posts I missed:

Mary: I am so impressed that you found time to do a JJob right now while David needs so much of your time! I am sure that his progress seems slow to you folks at times, but little by little he is getting better. You poor guys - what a way to spend the dreary days of February and March! Hang in there, Spring is coming....

Wow, Denise, very scary shots - heights and water, two things I am not fond of....it takes a special kind of person to do this kind of work...brave at the very least!

Bathroom painting? Next on my list. DS decided to redo the laundry room while we still had a bit of paint - of course it was not enough so the room is half done. At least I can just close the door. The main bath is next on my list and then this house is DONE!! For now, anyway...I'll post some photos on another thread sometime soon...

Lemon cakes and loaves...my favourite. Anyone tried Chai tea with lemon loaf? Mmmmmmm.

V - what a cool house! (Or maybe warm, with those solar panels!).

Bug - Sarah and Wayne sound good. Yes, try pink. Even baby boys look cute in pink - or anything else for that matter. Or girls. What a wait!

Kathy is moving to a different part of California? If she sells her house? I came late to this forum so I don't know the details...I do recall that the house was on the market and then not, and that work is ongoing in terms of JJobs - always good when trying to move a house.

Saucy - we have had the headache/fever/voice thing too. I was the only one who lost the voice, much to the joy of the menfolk!

Woody - hey, I can read the printing so it's good enough *LOL*

My pelargonium cuttings are thriving so I went to buy 6" peat pots today. Canadian Tire didn't have the garden stuff out yet - too early! Early? Apparently March Break is the big garden prep time here. I will have to survey the stuff in my shed, run plastic pots throught the dishwasher, check W-mart for dirt, sorry, earth, in order to move my 30+ plants along. Gee whiz, I think they should stock garden stuff all year....

Anyway, kinfolk want the computer so I goota run - tomorrow, the book fair, Friday, lunch with friends for a Christmas exchange that somehow never got off the ground...

Take care, all.

Apologies to anybody that I missed.

Cheers, J.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Well, the knit shop was closed so I didn't have to make a decision. I think if I knit pink and we have another boy, I will save the pink for later. Wayne would love a girl, but not a boy in pink... Wayne is convinced it is a baby girl this time...BECAUSE Sarah thinks it is a boy. Hrmmmph.

Julie, love the shot of DD and the smiling TCS! Your Christmas party will be great. There's all kinds of white stuff here to fit into the spirit of it all! And yes, V's house and gardens are really wonderful!

Yes the kids sound good. I think they are adjusting to the new reality, the "new normal", namely having a child who died and that has made them who they are today. The fact that they already have to deal with "new normal" because of EX makes it extra hard. But Reed is a wonderful part of their lives and always will be.

Woody, I'm actually impressed with your lettering as well as your tuteur. I expect to see a clematis or two there. LOL. Julie, I don't expect to be getting around to pruning clematis until March...or even later.

I ordered a few green zinnias the other day and guess they will only get planted in May. I hope there will be enough time for them to take off and bloom in the veg garden. Oh, and Julie, I bought a few seed starting trays at Canadian Tire this week, so the stuff is slowly being set up. I agree that it should be year round though.

So I fed the DH and then the cats. Next is Ms Phoebes.

Gnite all!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

It stopped raining today and I was able to WALAT a bit after coming home from the Awfice- there is some serious spring stuff going on here---daylilies with leaves and one with a scape, fat buds on the Lilac, major foliage growing on the roses. . And upon checking my seedlings I found that my Cactus Zinnias that I sowed on Sunday have already germinated. We are having a between storm break more rain expected in on Friday. My rain gauge was full tonight- 5 inches.

Speaking of Coleus, below is a pic I took in the conservatory of the NYBG at IU5 . Its called Kingswood Karnival " ( I took a pic of the tag too because I wanted to be able to find one) and I want one bad. Will probably have to buy a plant and probably mail order.. so where is that place some of yall order Coleus from ? Please advise !

Thanks for the boob-tube info Denise- I confess total confusion when it comes to Plasma vs. LCD etc. I just want to see a decent picture on the baseball broadcast , and for movies. And most important, I dont want to see the thing when its not in use. My computer monitor is a Samsung and its pretty nice.

V, it was fun to see your woodwork, panels etc. And the cake of course.

Woody, your printing seems quite legible to me !

Julie, my plan is to move to the Willamette Valley of Oregon, many family members reside in the general area. I am postponing things at the moment-houses arent selling here much at all. Im in no rush, and its only about an hour flight up to Portland any time I want to visit.

Coleus Kingswood Karnival {{gwi:149600}}From Idyllunion 5 July 2008

Nite all !

Kathy in Napa

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Just a quick hi from me. Bella wore me out today. Busy, busy! We had rain all day and there's just a small patch of snow in my front yard.

Mary, I'm glad David's improving day by day. I imagine there will be ups and downs but he's headed in the right direction. Hope you're able to get enough rest. I've been thinking of you.

Julie, TCS is such a cutey. And such a happy little guy. What a nice relaxing vacation you two had!

Kathy, I'm so jealous that you have spring! I'd love to have a couple months of gardening season tacked on at the beginning and end. Here's a link to order your coleus. That is a pretty one.

I'm heading to bed. The rest of the week looks to be busy. Actually the next couple so there won't be much computer time.

Eden

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

The evening snow turned to glaze ice on the roads, and my trip home from church in DH's little car was a real knuckle-whitener. Thankfully there was no one behind me as I slowed to a crawl and did a very controlled slide into my driveway. DH took my car up north for a snowmobiling trip and I just may be missing the car more than him right now! :0

Kathy, the link you need is below. Don't buy them all; leave one for me!

Saucy, the panels will supply electricity, and when there is more than we need, it is sold back to the electric utility.

Woody, that roof faces south.

It was a mixed bag at the awfice today. A coworker's mother passed away, and the resulting absences for the funeral led to the cancellation of several meetings in my over-scheduled day. But I found out that while I was off a key employee gave her notice, with plenty of resulting drama. (And why do employees who quit, especially at crucial times, believe that they are owed some sort of special treatment? Um, remember, you quit?!? You don't get a parade in your honor...) So life goes on.

Should I sign up for the online writing course being offered by my alma mater? It's not inexpensive, but perhaps this would be the kick in the you-know-what (and I don't mean wallet) that I need to move on to the next phase. And that next phase sounds better all the time.

Sigh - no one has shown up yet to empty the dishwasher or fold the laundry. I guess it's up to me.

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

S/he's not at my house V. (Phoebe licks dishes pretty clean, but I prefer the soap treatment.) I just started another load of laundry and am saving the dishes for tomorrow.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

All this zinnea talk made me dig up a picture. My favorites are the Green Envy because I love the color. I always direct sow mine.

DH got this new super computer with windows Vista so I decided to use it to burn a DVD of our Florida pictures and videos. Hmmm, I've got a thing or two to learn.

Woody, I like the tuteur. I'd love to have some nice ones to grow beans on. Right now I'm using 3 old tent poles for each tepee.

Julie, your DD is lovely and TCS looks like such a happy kid.

Kathy, cool coleus. Wow, 5". Seems weird that spring is already there.

It's been a long day - the audit continues, the tape drive of the server and the duplicator both croaked today, so I'd best find the easy chair.

Michelle

{{gwi:149601}}

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Ok, I now have this horrible list to order from the Coleus place and need an editor !

Yes V, sign up. Knowledge is power.

Green Envy. Think I need it.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

One of my great daily treats is pulling up this forum to see what my nocturnal friends have had to say that will amuse me in the morning. You never fail to "deliver the goods".

I made a mental note to tell Marian that she's right about how quickly Cyclamen revive after a case of the "droops". :) It perked right up after a soaking. The Amaryllis is fully open and it's not red... rather a lovely deep cerise (perfect for baby clothes, 'bug). If I think of it I'll get a shot of it this afternoon.

It's a rainy morning and the weatherman suggests taking it easy as black ice could be a problem for my ride into work. I guess the more northern parts of the state are getting hammered today.

Woody, I never gave your neat printing a thought until two other hawk-eyed people mentioned it. Silly me, and VERY good for you. I like your tuteur very much, too. Have you had the unpleasant realization that they're usually too short?

V., I'm very impressed by the solar collectors on your roof, and what will happen when they get covered with snow? it just melts off as the cells are black? I know how you must've felt when you had to varnish that strip of trimwork, I had similar feelings of trepidation when I had to venture out on the 2x12 and was suspended over the Salon's stairwell to paint the ceiling and the wall. It was a L O N G way down to the concrete floor... . Everything is going to look great when you've freshened up the paint on the walls and "Fleeting Fawn" makes its state entry. :) Go for it with the writing course, ONLY if you thing you'd get sort of a kick out of it as well as know it will be useful. (There are several skills I'd like to sharpen up with respect to work, too).

All the talk of seed starting, emerging growth, and garden plans seems very distant to me right now. And I'm OK with that, it's not as though I don't have plenty of other home improvements looming ahead of me. ;)

Woody, the pilots I know began working as "wharf rats", or sternmen on fishing boats in their youth. One, a wild youth, was quietly taken aside and told that if he knuckled down and went to school he'd find a fulfilling (not to mention lucrative) career awaiting him, with skills that could be transferred anywhere in the world. Educationally, it's rigorous; Maine Maritime Academy can be very demanding and the "on the job" portion of the training is, too. Another works on the western rivers (Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, etc.) and is working for blue water (ocean) certification so he can do the New York to maritime Canada runs with barges; apparently quite lucrative with minimal time "on" (a week, or so) before time "off". I'll be interested to hear what Denise has to say on the subject as she would have more in-depth knowledge of the work than I do.

OK, I know there are things I wanted to say but the sooner I get this day under way the sooner I'll be able to wrap it up and get back to the Compound.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning :-)

Winter outside my window again this morning. It's snowing lightly without more than a dusting on the ground so far. I'm sorry I haven't been posting. I'm still having a little trouble keeping up and find I haven't much of interest to say these days any way. One day seems to blend into the next. DH started back to work on Tuesday and has been going half days all week. The infection and the medications they had him on in the hospital really knocked the stuffing out of him. He is finally feeling better but now it is just trying to get his energy back. He normally has a packed schedule every day so it's an effort ramping back up to take it all on again.

I started thinking about winter sowing yesterday in rebellion against all this boredom. We dragged the bottles out of the basement and I thought I might start getting them ready for some potting soil, but the bag of them just sat there staring at me all day. I did drag out my seeds and see I have a few that are current enough to try. Four O'Clocks are at the top of my list this year and I have about four colors of California Poppy that I am just itching to try even though I haven't a clue where I would put them. [g] Plus a ton of older columbine seed that I am going to just throw all together and surely I will get a few sprouts. I am really hoping to plant cool season veggies this year.

I've been reading a lot. 'The Garden in Winter' by Suzy Bales came home with us again. A few mysteries and diet and nutrition books. 'Natural Beauty from the Garden' was a disappointment. Recipes seem odd. My favorite this time around is still 'P.Allen Smith's Container Gardens' I'm ready for another batch of books.

Other than that, I've been walking around the yard every day and starting to see crocus peeking out around the base of the bird feeder. I am especially pleased because I found a variety that was my mother's name last fall and we planted them there because she just loved birds, then we carefully covered them with chicken wire so the squirrels wouldn't dig them up and voila! Still lots of snow in the yard on the shady side but as it shrinks every day I see more and more work to do.

There, now wasn't that fascinating? [g]

I've been trying to follow along, but mostly looking at photos. :-) Loved the one of the Pilot Ship Denise, really have always been in awe of people who could make their living on boats period, but working around those huge boats in a little boat...oh my! Very creative tuteur Woody. Anyone would be thrilled to have it in their veggie garden, good job. 'Green Envy' Zinnia is one of my favorites too, Michelle. Love that 'Kingswood Karnival' Kathy. I think I've had that on my list in the past. Julie what a fun trip you all had. Handsome crew you have there too. Solar Panels are such a step forward. Must feel like a great accomplishment. Mary and V...loved your cake photos...mouthwatering! Gardenbug...very funny traffic and golf photo. I love funny photos like that. Sorry you have another child home sick Saucy. Marian, my Mom had a box of marbles that I still have around here somewhere. I should dig them out for display.

Okay....getting too long....hello to all I've missed. How many more days until spring is it? Didn't we have someone posting the countdown last year?

pm2

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well it is raining at the moment over what was four inches of snow so it is just a sloppy mess out there today. Yukko. Perfect for me to put my nose to the grindstone and get some painting done. As usual the project is late and the students are making noise about wanting to get their prep work done. Sooo. Work in the basement for me today.

So many great pictures on the Idylls lately.

Denise, I agree with the pic of the ladder being a tad bit scary. Dont think that is anything I need to do, ever. My scariest ladder experience was when we put the addition on the house (added a second floor) the contractor would not start building walls until I went up there and did a walk through. Now, there werent any stairs yet, just a ladder up to the bedroom window and I had to climb up that ladder and crawl through the window and then back down again which was worse. Bear in mind that I weighed 312 pounds at the time. It was horrible! That was the first and last time I went up there until the stairs were put in.

Kathy, Im SOOOOO jealous that you have spring and are able to start gardening. Im so ready! I love that coleus also. A real beauty. LOL about the coleus order. Im just as bad only when I edit it I add more instead of taking away.

V. and Eden, you are such enablers posting the link to the Rosy Dawn site!!!! I had to wipe a bit of drool off my chin and I only looked at a couple pages of the catalog.

V. thanks for the pic of the solar panels. Interesting and I know its going to ultimately save you moola on power. I wish I didnt have such a huge electric bill these days. Doug and I were talking the other day about having to retire the hot tub when we retire because we wont be able to afford to run it.

Woody, love the tuteur! Nice design.

Mary, sounds like things are really progressing well with David. Such positive news that hes making progress. ~~~ I lol over the shag thing. Too funny. Kind of like when I went to Australia and was warned to never use the term fanny pack. LOL

Saucy, that is one strange virus youve got there. Hope you dont catch it.

Bug, that fondue feast sounds like it was a blast.

Michelle, it must have seemed like heaven to go for a walk in 45 degree temps after the winter youve had.

OK Ive got to get some exercise and get downstairs to work. Waving hello to one and all, have a great day!

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Well............since PM asked. I've been dying to do this!

{{gwi:149602}}

Eden

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Ever get that feeling you've got your finger on the collective idyll pulse? After Christmas I brought home a few pots of cyclamen on sale and planted them near the base of a Deutzia. I'd prefer getting closer to the species than the florist type, but they were cheap and have been obligingly in bloom nonstop:

{{gwi:149603}}

Interesting how many found the ladder picture scary. I don't think I'm phobic about heights, but occasionally when I'm in a very tall building, 20 stories, and the there's only a thin glass membrane between me and clouds, I feel, well, unusual, lol, though I can still function.

The county is apparently starting water rationing in May, so must resist Eden's coleus and cut back on pots. But all you zinnia pushers are weakening me! Love the Green Envy, Michelle.

Very nice tuteur, Woody! Job paths are interesting. Most of the pilots seem to have Navy backgrounds, like our Saucy, to get the "seatime" for a license for such large tonnage though many also come up through the tugboat ranks. Or like Chelone says they can go to the naval academies. In Marty's case, a much smaller license is required to run the pilot boat. Marty always tells me he wanted to work in a bank! But when he was just out of high school, an older brother was working as a marine biologist on research boats run by the USC Marine Research program (now defunct since the '90s, more money needed for football program!) So his older brother said they needed deckhands and techs to count and identify fish species, and that's where Marty got his seatime to start the path to getting ever bigger licenses, which reflect the size of ship you're licensed to operate. Getting the seatime required usually involves hard, low-pay work. This same brother now has a 500-ton license and is working in the Gulf of Mexico.

V, take the class!

PM, I am finding so many books I've meant to read, books I didn't know I'd bought as I organize the bookshelves. I'm tentatively thinking of starting a summer book club in the neighborhood for the long, lazy evenings.

What a nice photo of your DD with TCS, Julie.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Pm2, I certainly understand the winter doldrums....I am thinking you sound rather like I was feeling about a year ago. You are handling it better than I, but maybe you need to go back and read all your advice to me at that time. I am working hard at not reaching that point this year. ;-)

Tee hee, I sure started a trend with the marbles. I wish I had a wide, flat-sided, glass container to put mine in, so that more would be visible. I turned my jar around and more prettier colors are in sight now, including a blue and white shooter.

Chelone, Nolon is my monitor on when the Cyclamen is in need of water. It sets where it is in his constant view, and when it starts drooping, he informs me that it needs watered.
    I remember your account of painting suspended over the stairwell on the 2x12. It still scares me!
    V's is equally scary. I will definitely pass....

Deanne, you mentioned the days getting longer. I agree with the longer evenings being nice, but I am aggravated at how long it is taking for the mornings to improve! I like to wait until it is dawning before getting up, but it does not seem to be happening any earlier now than it did on the first day of winter! At our house the sun may be coming over the 'mountain' earlier, but the dawn is no earlier.
    Your ladder experience sounds terrifying! My worse was when I was painting the gable end of our 1 and 1/2 story house. The ladder was not tall enough, so I stacked up a couple of tires (on wheels), and placed the ladder on them. I did a lot of praying while I was up there, and hoped no one startled me. That was about 35 years ago. I can hardly cimb any length of ladder now.
    Ah, Deanne, I don't think you have 'lost your marbles', LOL.
    I am so envious of your thumbing your nose at spring get-together, but at that time we should be seeing more signs of spring here. Maybe the Cornelian Cherry will be in bloom.

Mary, I was so tickled at your 'doing the happy dance'. I hope that happens more frequently. When the feelings return to David's leg you will be whopping even louder than I did when the Birch tree sprang back up!
    Nolon has used power tools in his carpentry work for over 40 years, and never used ear protection. I am sure that is the case of his hearing loss. He does improve a little, a day or so after running his chain saw.
    My voice is normally rather loud, but even when I get louder he still does not seem to hear me. Even when he is setting next to me in the car, he cannot hear me, and there is no other distraction. The strange thing is...he hears every move and noise that the cats make! :-(

Marie, the 'hazard' pics from your DD are good. I would like to get a hold of the smartie who put up that traffic sign!

Denise, I bought the new phone, but have not connected it yet. I am a terrible procrastinator! :-(I hope it is not still setting unused months later, like the 3 in one printer!
    I have no desire for a cell phone, unless it is only in my car for emergencies. They are not too practical out in the boonies where we live. The connection is poor from our house.

I keep my coleus over winter too, espacially the ones from Deanne, but also others that I espacially like, even if they are not named. I have no grow lights set up, so depend on windows to keep them going. I am starting to root cuttings now.I root mine in water. The Fishnet Stocking one is one that I hope to replant this spring.

Denise, your pic of the man climbing the ladder by the ship, made me think of what Nolon said happened to him when he was in the Navy. He did get stuck between two ships when he was on such a ladder, and suffered cracked ribs. He was out there working on the ship!
    That is so sad about the loss of the pilot.

Cindy, I am happy your MIL was not seriously injured in her falls. Thank goodness she has strong bones! My dr has me on calcium pills, because my last scan showed weakening bones in my right hip.

Mary, I would decline on purchasing that Rose, although the word 'shag' is a perfectly nice word in the right context. If the rose's name was not combined with 'Dancing' it would not raise any eyebrows. Shame on Parks!

Kathy, I am sure glad you found your DH's marbles! LOL
    BTW, I am sure Nolon realizes he has a hearing problem. I wish we could afford aids, but they are not covered by any insurance or by VA. He has not even been tested, so I don't know if aids would even help him.
    That IS a lovely Coleus, but I will purchase one only if it is available locally.

Thanks for the lemon treats, V and Mary. I love lemony baked stuff.

Marie, I am glad you got that fondue dinner. Our congregation had fondue dinners every now and then, when we lived in Idaho....back in the 70s. I have never been too much of a fan. I too, am curious about the size of the fondue pot that will hold a lobster!!!
    Marie, knit a rainbow color, then you can't go wrong. :-)

I never talked with my mother about her reaction to the loss of her first son, at the age of 21 months. I wish I had. If it was something that stayed with her over the years, she never spoke of it in that sense. None of us have ever forgotten 'Billy', never the less....

Saucy, I had heard that there is an new type of virus going around. I hope Sarah is much better today.

Woody, your printing on the tuteur drawing looks okay to me. :-)
    Great tuteur. I could sure use some of them. I need one at the bedroom end of the house where a ninebark was the support for a couple of Clematis. The Ninebark is one of the icestorm casualties. :-(

One of the men in our congregation frequently wears a dark pink shirt. :-) Light pink is fine also, for a male.
    Julie, that is quite a smile on TCS! I think he must have just popped back up from the foot in the air pic? Your DD has a lovely smile, and is a pretty woman.

My method of rooting Pelargonium is letting the cuts dry out a little, and inserting thenm into moistened potting soil. Keep them on the dry side, and they usually root with no problem. I had a red one blooming awhile back, but none right now. The one with the variegated leaves is looking good. I almost did not bring any of them in, but espacially did not want to lose that one.I did not bring in the scented ones. They (pelargoniums) are one plant that the deer do not eat. ( I hope they will not make me a liar this year! )

Oooo, V! Do be careful! I am so happy I do not have to venture out on such roads. That was a thoughtless thing for your key employee to do.

Michelle, I believe I grew that Green Envy some years ago... BD (before deer).

A chilly morning here...19F, but warmer days in the forecast. But then, so is snow!

Marian

( Yarrgh! You can almost make a book out of this post! )

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Speaking of coleus and spring. It's not here yet but this is getting me through.

{{gwi:149604}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Well look at that fantastic view and those pretty bottles, forsythia, coleus etc!!!! (but remember, I hate coleus...)

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Norma - love your view and Eden's banner in the corner LOL!!

Marian - I really enjoyed your long and thoughtful post and responses to everybody. It was a great synopsis of all that has happened here.

Pretty good day here - a long walk bundled up in the wheelchair, successful therapy exercises and friends dropping by to play board games. A friend from book group is coming over so that I can leave the house for a while and she's bringing supper too:0) We might even try to get out for a free concert at the Eastman School of Music now I know where the wheelchair ramp is.

Mary

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Update - two friends are here with David and they have drawn out a chalk course on the driveway and are timing each other to see who can do the fastest wheelchair lap. Should I intervene?.... It's good to see him laughing again.

M.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Nope! just stand back and observe from afar. With a dollop of delight... they'll be fine. On second thought, get the camera!

Great news and I hope you get to the concert, too. :)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Norma, I love your picture! I espacially love the pedestal. I thought about bringing in some forsythia and Quince branches, but decided I have enough blooming things indoors already.

Here are the latest in the Orchid line that are in bloom:

{{gwi:149606}}

This one is Rose Valentine

{{gwi:149607}}

Sorry about the blurrieness of this second one. :-(

{{gwi:149608}}

This one is a miniature Phal, but I see at least 20 buds on it!

The yellow one from Ei is still in bloom, and so is the Slipper orchid. Another Phal has a stalk but is a ways from blooming.

Mary, how great that David is progressing so well. He has wonderful help...his mom, and his friends.

I hooked up the new message phone today. I have not changed it from the default settings yet.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Eden...thanks for the 'Spring' countdown, 29 days is not very long at all.

Denise...your book group for the summer sounds like a nice idea and a good time for it. Summer will be here before you know it too. Very pretty cyclamen that look so healthy too. Found the account of how Marty became a pilot fascinating. I haven't known anyone in that industry personally, so it was all new to me.

Mary...makes all the difference when things aren't going well, to have friends. [Mothers too (g)] Just what David needs. And just what you need to see him enjoying himself. Wonderful.

Marian...I can certainly see that you are in a different place this year than last and I am sure you have worked hard to accomplish that. I'm very happy that you are doing so much better. That's right, I had just started posting to Idylls, a year ago January. Glad to know the advice offered was good enough for regifting. [g] Doing a great job with your orchids.

Norma what a nice view out your window and a very colorful collection of coleus. Also like that pedestal with the butterflies on it. And the 29 days of spring on your screen. [g]

Good night..

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Mary, I think the wheelchair races would make me a little nervous, but hopefully the fresh air will make for better sleeping. It's good that you have so many good friends to lend a hand and give moral support.

I'm afraid to go browse the Rosy Dawn site. LOL

Marian,your orchids are pretty. I've always wanted to force forsythia but never did until now. Next time I will do more branches. I didn't know you can do quince also. I might try that.

Bug, it was good to read about Sarah and Wayne's weekend feast.

V, If we were younger I would go for the solar panels too. I think we would not recoup the expense at this late date.

Michelle, I'm still learning the nuances of this laptop and Vista .

Saucy, I hope the kids are feeling better. I had a really stiff neck for a couple of days.

Denise and Chelone, I enjoyed the info on what the pilots have gone through to earn their license.

My zinnas reseed themselves here. I don't remember what variety I started with. Just a mix for the tall ones. And some little ones called Star White I think. A small gold one too.

Eden, 29 days till spring sounds good to me.

Pm there is nothing of interest here to write about either.
    When you are retired and don't go out much it's pretty mundane.

Deanne, a picture of your flowers under lights would be nice if you get a free minute. Is Doug still getting a few days work?

Julie, I'm happy you posted a close up of TCS's smile. I was begining to think he was like Wilson on the TV program Tool Time (was that the actual name of it?) anyway the man always concealed part of his face. LOL. Your daughter is very pretty.

Gotta go let Rebel out. Later Norma

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

About the pedestal. I waffled over that all summer and kept watching the clearance prices in the fall until there were only two left. Then decided I better grab it. I have missed out on many things by not getting them sooner.
    I bought it to use outside but really like it indoors so it probably won't go out.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Whoo hoo! The auditors are gone! This has just been so stressful for me. Its not like we dont have our own audit annually, but this is similar to an IRS audit in many ways 3 /12 days worth. I swam, sat in the hot tub and had a glass of wine every night after leaving work. Oh, I must not forget the Dove "Promises" chocolate that a friend gave me. I kept them in my desk and indulged everyday.

So PM, my week was pretty eventful, but I think that Id rather it be more boring LOL I havent even given wintersowing a thought and havent even gotten a seed order together. I do have a fair amount of seeds that I will sow that I saved from last year. You know those favorites that once youve tried them you never want your garden to be without them.

DD called yesterday with sad news. An instructor and student from DSILs flight school plane went down and both lost their lives. She was upset and thought maybe Mike should study to be an accountant. This was the first fatalities in the schools 20 year history.

Marian, I always enjoy seeing your beautiful orchids.

Deanne, Id love to see your orchids as well. You always have such a nice display of them.

Norma, what a wonderful spot to Idyll from.

Mary, it sounds like David must be feeling a lot more chipper.

The ladder thing would have scared me at one point but DH has helped me conquer my fear of heights. I think the climb up the 70 silo or the climbs to the top of the grain bin to shut the lid have cured me. I still respect heights though.

Id best get going. DH went to a BB game but I used the excuse that I need to finish up a little bit of tax work before we see the accountant next Monday.

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Nice to seem some sunny windows with plants soaking up those rays! Another sign of spring's approach - our Dairy Queen reopened today. And despite temps that are hovering near 20, my BIL was kind enough to bring three boxes of Dilly Bars to the church council meeting tonight in celebration of their opening.

I took the step and signed up for the writing class. It starts in early March, and I'm looking forward to it.

Work was more fun today because I got to spend some time away from my desk giving a tour this morning. It's always fun to take a group around, hear their questions and enjoy their awe at the complexity of the entire operation.

The latest weather forecast has us getting walloped by a winter storm tomorrow night and Saturday. I've already called the snow plow guy and put him on alert. He knew that DH had been doing most of our plowing since our ATV was fixed, but DH is out of town until Sunday and I have the little car, which would not get out of the driveway with that much snow. I can run the ATV, but the plow is not on it right now and I can't put it on by myself.

Mary, your reports sound more positive every day!

Chelone, did you happen to listen to NPR this afternoon? They had a long piece about two teenage girls that were hit by a train in Lebanon, Maine last May.

OK, my pledge for tonight is to get a few chores done and get to bed a little earlier this evening. Getting up this morning was tough. I had to give myself a few extra minutes because the roads were so bad last night, I didn't want to drive the extra few miles to get gas. I was worried about running out today, but I had just filled our gas can over the weekend, so I put some of that in the car this morning. Next time I will plan ahea

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Another day of sun here, but ironically rain will return along with the weekend. I actually pulled some weeds this evening- but its a rough go, the ground is pretty soggy.

PM, youd be surprised at what some of us find interesting ! Things that seem mundane to some can hold fascination to others, especially considering the varied climate zones we represent here.

LOL Deanne, about wiping off the drool when viewing the Rosy Dawn pics. I of course looked at all of them and will be ordering a few after a cooling off period. If I can get that Kingswood Carnival up to any size before July I might attempt packing another cutting in my suitcase- my hostess gift offering ! I have no idea what to expect in terms of plant size when I order.

Denise, I thought your description of heights making you feel unusual was very apt. When I was in Chicago last summer I took a group of employees up to the bar at the top of the John Hancock building (96th floor) and it was interesting to see their reaction. A couple of them felt uncomfortable sitting too close to the window. Ive been there quite a few times but I always have to adjust myself abit. . It always seems a little strange at first . My God, I hope Marty isnt pining away for his career at WAMU ! If the summer evening book club gets off the ground you must keep us notified of the reading list. Although it can be difficult to read and watch a baseball game at the same time I have done so. Ultimate multi-task.

Marian, I will be moving the marbles this weekend and will take a pic of them ! FYI, you should check out the flower vase section at Wal-Mart. I dont shop there anymore , but a few years ago I went into ours and found several vases for very low prices, 4.99ish as I recall, 1.59 for bud vases . Im really noticing how much lighter it is when I get to work in the morning-I usually go in about 6:15, and the eastern sky is definitely lightening. Marian, if I can get that coleus going I would be happy to send you a cutting. Well see how I do with it ! I am always so amazed by your orchids, you really have a gift for growing them and coaxing them into re-bloom.

Norma ! How fabu the pic and with Edens banner discreetly in the corner too ! I see you have nice big bay windows like Marian does for staging plants in the winter.

Mary, glad to hear that David was able to do some kid stuff with friends- That should raise his spirits considerably.

V, we will expect some pretty awesome prose from you after your writing class- perhaps the Idylls might even be homework ?? I have always enjoyed writing for my own entertainment since I was little girl.

Yay Michelle, the nasty bean counters have flown the coop ! Our auditors are around for about a month I think at my company, but we have reduced the time this year (we are after all paying them to audit us ) as part of our overall efforts to reduce expenses.

A few springish pics, taken after I came home from work today

Tasmanian Tiger unfurling. {{gwi:149609}}From Garden 2009

Lilac buds {{gwi:149610}}From Garden 2009

This Erysium has been blooming for a couple of weeks. {{gwi:149613}}From Garden 2009

Doobie and Ted each get thier own arm on the chair.They are really glad it stopped raining. {{gwi:149615}}From Garden 2009

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Good morning my friends. We received a dusting of snow lat night and everythings looks really pretty in the morning still. There will be a lot of "hokey pokey" when the cats decide to venture over the threshold. Rex will, of course, be absolutley thrilled and will act silly.

I was diligently rolling the remainder of the base paint onto the Salon floor and did hear the NPR story about the two knuckleheads who decided to play hookey and fell asleep on the railroad tracks, V.. It was all over the local stations at the time and the helpmeet turned to me, shrugged his shoulders and grimly called the accident "triage", pronouncing that crime never pays. Certainly it's tragic, but let's call it what it is... really stupid, right up there with napping on the Rte. 95 breakdown lane. There must be something in the water in that town...

Norma, what a lovely outlook you have on the surrounding countryside! The room looks so pleasant and inviting, and it was fun to see the Idyll du jour right there in the corner of the picture, too. It's almost as though we were right there with you. We were talking about forcing Forsythia at work this morning, too. I've never tried it and was wondering when I should clip some shoots and bring them in. (I love the color of flowering quince, BTW).

Eden, I think the 29 (now 28) days to spring is a fun exercise but definitely leagues away from reality for me. ;) There are probably some crocus and narcissus shoots emerging from the soil on the protected south side of the house. We have lost a ton of snow here, too. There is still some ice on the driveway at its mouth (very shadey there) but Magnolia stellata has very big, fat, and fuzzy buds all over it and the Hammemalis ("Diane") is covered with buds, too. It's getting on toward time for it to flower, while it's not anything I really like very much it will be fun to see some activity "out there".

Marian, your orchids never fail to amaze. They're just lovely! I tried to get a good shot of the Amaryllis yesterday but was unsuccessful and will try again today. As far as houseplants go, I could use a guy like Nolon to remind me to look after them. ;) As for hearing loss, Mum was deaf as a post and her hearing aids were a godsend. it cana be a challenge to communicate with someone who refused to acknowledge they have a hearing loss. It was, however, infuriating to have the aids repeatedly lost and mishandled by the bumbling idiots in the nursing hole. The administrators were not happy with me or my brother when we pointed out that they didn't work very well with dead batteries in in them or insisted they replace them when the staff mishandled them and ultimately broke them. The helpmeet has considerable hearing loss, too. The result of VERY LOUD rock 'n' roll in his misspent youth. I often wonder about the cumulative effect of rumbling machinery on my own hearing!

Doobie and Ted must've taken a lesson from our cats, Kathy... they love to assume similar positions on chairs inside and out. I am particularly intrigued by Ted's coloring. He's a calico, right... it's the same buff accents that I see on Polly and less so on Spencer.

Michelle, I hope you were able to marinate long and without interruption in the hot tub after the ordeal of the audit. I'm respectful of heights, too, but have no problem dealing with ladders when we put up awnings or I have to go up on the roof to lace on the deck canopy. The key is to keep one hand on the ladder at all times and don't look down. But when you toss in the wildcard of rolling seas I'd think twice before stepping onto the jacob's ladder where timing is critical. Very tragic about the crash of the plane; I have no fondness for airplanes anyway (haven't been inside one of the flying sewer pipes since fall '99), although the view from above is pretty cool.

Julie, there is no doubt that you have a most handsome family. TCS doesn't look as though he's going the wither away to husk from malnutrition. How goes the food battle with him these days?

Saucy, how fare ye in sick bay? is Sarah on the mend and are you enjoying the quiet brought on by laryngitis?

PM, your life is much like mine... nothing really new from day to day and like Kathy I am enough of a nosebag that reading about everyone else's mundane lives brings a smile to my face.

OK, gotta get to the Lab. and deal with some alteration work this morning. New customer coming this afternoon, too.

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Ah, longer sunlight. Noticed when I left work a few days ago that I barely needed headlights on and that in the morning, I can tell it's time to get up since the sky is brightening that much earlier rather than it being pitch black. HOO ZAH!

Just spent the most luscious time reading Idylls and catching up.

One thing I don't mind is heights and the respect of a bunch of young, brash males was quickly received when I lept off a 50' cliff into a gorge that they had stayed away from a few years back. Won't do that again anytime soon as the sensation is not quite the same as when I was 16 :-)

Reading along I had a conscious thought about how much brighter Marian seems this year, and how glad I am for you.

Looking for Deanne light pics, please!

Loving the solar panels, V. Our house was a breakthrough passive solar back in 1986 and I thank the builder every time we open an energy related bill. Also great for plants!

Following David's progress from afar feels like he's making good progress. You know, Mary, there are sports groups for folks either permanently or temporarily in wheelchairs and it may be something he'd enjoy. When does Annie get back? You must be missing her at least a little by now ;-)

After years of restraint and downright fear of killing one, a friend gave me a leftover Phal her boss received as a Christmas gift. It has buds. It seems to like a northwest facing window. Since it just stopped blooming, what can I expect for the next few months?

LOL about the bag of bottles, PM2. They'll still be there tomorrow and the seeds won't care if they get planted this week or next. Think of you often and Rich says feel better soon.

Zinnia seeds will be arriving soon and I think I ended up with about five varieties for various spots. We could have a bona fide trial going on here!!

Thought of you, Chelone, when I put pencil to paper and listed the once-baby shrubs that need to be moved. Yes, there are more, and I've budgeted for teenaged help. The salon is sounding better and better.

Woody -- I'm very impressed with your plan. If you have the strength to use a nail gun, it makes a huge difference in keeping everything plumb when working with angles, I've learned. Other times I've resorted to Elmer's gluing everything together before nailing. Just some thoughts...

Need to get ready to face the State of Connecticut Appropriations Committee to testify against closing the hospital my brother has utilized for three years. Still not sure what will happen to him, but feel a real responsibility to advocate for folks whose families have [understandably] given up. It is expected that around 100 people will be testifying so it could be well into the early hours of tomorrow before I can "go to the mike."

Greetings to everyone not specifically mentioned. Keep remembering that a smile is the easiest gift to give!

Martie

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Chelone, I think Kathy's Ted is a Tabby, not a Calico. Our Trubby is a tabby, Cali-cat was a calico.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Looks to be a sunny day after getting a surprise inch of snow last night. I didnt remember the weather people predicting any precip for last night. Hmmm. The kitties are about to drive me insane lately. I think it must be a spring thing. They are either running around the house like maniacs( Rahjii in particular is more active than usual) either that or they both have to crawl into my lap and sit on the keyboard when Im on the computer OR Rahjii has decided that he needs to be walking about my painting table which is a really bad thing when I have a wet palette out. Then they either want to be outside or inside but never ever on the side of the door they are currently on. But they do keep me laughing.

Marian, love the orchid shots and I noticed some coleus cuttings there as well. My orchids are now just starting to bloom well and this seems a bit late for it this year. I especially love those minis. Ive started collecting as they take less space and are profuse bloomers. ~~ So you did a ladder with it sitting on tires stacked up!!!!!!!????? Youre lucky you didnt kill yourself!

Norma, what a beautiful view and how nice to see the coleus and forsythia! Beautiful! ~~~ Yes thanks for asking, it looks like Doug will have a few more days until the end of Feb then well see. Hes had a lot of interviews and we are hoping something comes from them.

Michelle, so glad to hear that the auditors are gone. That must be a huge relief. I remember my days in the billing dept well. WE used to have the KMA auditors (some secret thing I didnt get) come in to audit my top secret cases and I was the only person with a security clearance so was the only person allowed to deal with all that. It was beyond stressful so you have my complete empathy.

Mary, wheelchair races?????!!!!! Id be biting my fingernails but probably let them do it but hover watchfully. Glad to hear hes feeling better.

Denise, the cyclamen are lovely!!!

Yea, Eden has the countdown to spring.

Kathy, love, love, love the spring pics and the kitties on the chair. ~~ LOL about sending in your Rosy Dawn order after a cooling off period! Too funny. The plants from them are the very best and good sized. I dont order coleus from anyone else.

V. ahhhh Dairy Queen is open, Im sure Sue will have a report on hers. ~~ So sad you are going to miss the party this year. Just think on all those coleus cutting you could be going home with.

So where is Cindy? ~~ She was supposed to make an appearance at Thumbs this year and isnt able to come either. Bummer! We NEnglanders will have to hold down the fort.

AS requested.
    {{gwi:149617}}

{{gwi:149620}}

{{gwi:149623}}

The Goodwin Creek lavender is still blooming.
    {{gwi:149625}}

Abutilons are the best!
    {{gwi:149629}}

{{gwi:149630}}

The terrace gardens this morning. So spring is coming when????
    {{gwi:149639}}

Have a great day everyone
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Mornin'! Snowy and blowy and yet there's some sun. The snowplow visited around 7am as usual... Well, 28 days seems pushing it to me, but I'm ready!

Below you'll see how we spent last evening. It was a fine turn out and satisfying to DH and I who started this organization several years ago in an attempt to have a more organized voice that would be heard and that would be a resource to many. Now each group does not have to reinvent the wheel.

Next week DSIL has more mediation with EX...and he has begun smoking once again much to his disgust. You think there's a connection? I certainly do. I've tried to make a few suggestions, kindly. I know how annoyed he is with himself, a person who considers himself strong and reasonable and able to conquer everything. It is an insult to have something so nasty have power over him.

DS phoned yesterday. I feel so lucky to have "kids" who share meaningful stuff and also try to visit when they can! DS called to describe the situation with former GF.(she visited us last summer if you recall) Seems she and her family are majorly victims of the crash this week of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank where their investments are held. Unfortunately DS had heard hints of this in advance and warned them, but they took no action and he feels terrible. Life in Mexico is difficult even if you have money but are Jewish. Lots of kidnappings and fear. I still can't fathom why anyone would invest everything in just one place, especially when they have been victims of this same thing in past years! People never learn? On DS's job front, he is hanging on by his fingernails but riding things out until the bitter end.

DD shared this list of positives with her forum friends:

I AM one of the lucky ones, I think.

Despite Reeds loss, so far the financial stuff hasnt impacted us.

Both DH and I have good jobs that are unlikely to disappear because they are both government jobs and permanent, and in an area that is unlikely to decrease. Even if they were to disappear the government would have to find us jobs of the same pay to give us.

We have a great house, supportive family, and great friends.

We had a wonderful and amazing trip to Peru last year.

I have a great DSS who despite being 10yo, is fun to be around most of the time!

DH and I have a wonderful relationship and can talk about any and everything.

The sunroom is looking spectacular. Painting will probably get finished this weekend!

Baby is growing and will be here soon.

I'm waiting for my zinnia seeds...

Thinking of each and every one, but off to start my day.
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Norma....well, I didn't realize you were retired. How long have you been retired and what are you retired from, may I ask? I imagine a lot of people would be envious of all your free time. :-) I think about things too long and then they are out of them too...[g]. I just love your bay window. Is it facing South by any chance?

Marian...I should never post at night. I'm always trying to keep it short because I am tired. Nothing ever comes out right. [g] When I said..'glad the advice offered was good enough for regifting' what I meant was... I didn't realize that anything I had to say had been helpful. I seem to give a lot of unasked for 'advice'. I guess none of you knew that about me. :-) I don't expect anyone to actually use my advice/input [g], I just feel obligated to share information pertinent to whatever situation someone is dealing with, just in case it is helpful. So I am always surprised when it has been put to good use. And I do try to 'listen' to any advice I am offering to someone else and use it myself. :-) Again, very glad you are having a better winter than last. I'm sure it was no fun at all.

Michelle...you are right, I would rather have my week than yours! Very stressful having someone reviewing your finances and books. Glad they are finished. Do you already know that you passed the audit? When you do get around to thinking about wintersowing, would be interested in your list of seeds. I am usually finished by this time and I was going to take the winter off this year, but, with this economy, I won't feel right spending a fortune on plants in the spring that I could have sowed. .... Very sad about the air crash. I can only imagine a lot of instructors are having second thoughts. Lots of dangerous occupations out there when you think about it. There is a new reality show on TV called 'Jockeys' which DH and I find fascinating. According to the show, 2 jockeys die each year in the U.S. Come to think of it, Chelone, you might find that show fascinating too.

Gee V., your weather seems worse than anyone in the group.

Kathy... I think you do find a lot of things interesting that not everyone does. :-) ... I took the garden tour...love those huge yellow blossoms on your primula and I find the bloom on your Camillia as pretty as a rose. I am pretty unfamiliar with camillias. I know there is a greenhouse near here that has a collection of them, so I always thought they weren't hardy here. Marty, have you planted yours outdoors yet? ...Kitty cats look quite content. Such a pretty color Hellebore. I am growing more and more fond of them. I just ordered 4 new double Hellebores and who knows how long I will have to wait for bloom. I just saw that Tasmanian Tiger on the Heronswood site and wonder if it is invasive? Very interesting looking.

Nice to see a post from you Marty. I think of you and when you can't post, I figure there are lots of unpleasantness keeping you away. Hope you are getting a break from it. Glad you are testifying, not easy to make time for I'm sure. Very sweet of Rich to send well wishes. I knew there was something I liked about him. ;-) Tell him thanks for me. :-)

Chelone....my life like yours? lol I don't think so! You are busy busy every minute doing all sorts of interesting stuff. I would love renovating. :-)

Oh, I remembered to refresh...and look at those gorgeous shots from your house Deanne! No wonder you are anxious for spring looking at all that gorgeous foliage every day. I find it amusing that even in the house, wintering over, you group your plants in color pleasing combinations...lol. You are passionate, Deanne! :-)

Gardenbug...what an encouraging post from you. Despite the news of DS's GF's family. That is really scary. I can imagine how horrible DS is feeling about it. I always hate it when all our children are not having good news at the same time. It always seems hard to celebrate with one while another is having a hard time. ... What a great post from DD's forum. Amazingly positive outlook. Our DS is trying to quit for the umpteenth time. He has done it a few times but has gone back. He is optimistic this time around. :-) I love the idea of your group and the topic of the speaker is something I have not seen done before. Really needed too. I think that not knowing how to do that might be the reason some people feel helpless in the face of polluters.

Ok...no more refreshing..... lol

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

V, you have me intrigued as to what type of company you work for. It is plant related right?
    I hope you didn't slip and slide to much going into work this morning.

Deanne, thanks for the pictures. You have some really nice colors and textures in you coleus.
    I too love the abutilon I would love to find one of those this year. Your terrace has plenty of winter interest to make it interesting to look at, and I bet the birds flitting about add a bit of color.

Michelle, you sure know how to unwind. Good to hear the source of stress has left the building.
    The tragic accident is sure to worry your DD. I have been wondering how our DGD will handle her DH's new career as a patrolman. There has to be an underlying concern for safety there. Of course there are dangers in many professions as pointed out by Deniese and the boat workers. Our own sons work on the highways is a big concern too.

Martie, sounds like you may need lots of caffeine to keep you going until you testify. Good luck.

Chelone, I think most anytime now would be good to bring the forsythia in. I did collect mine on one of our warmer days. So maybe when you get a nice sunny day take a pair of nippers as you give the huge one a romp. It is interesting that certain things can really link all us Idylls isn't it. Edens banner, the moon ,emerging seedlings, antsy cats etc.

Kathy, I hope the rains are giving you a helping hand on the watering chores. Weeds I am not looking forward to. I have some cool weather weeds that always deal me fits in spring.
    Woody, how much longer will your course take? We are missing your more regular posts.

Marian, I was thinking the same as Kathy about the vases . I have even seen some flat sided ones that would be perfect for your marbles. I have a picture of a Ball jar full of marbles that we did at work one day while playing around. if I come across it I will scan and post it.

Eden , did you get more snow too?
    Have a good day everyone. I've got to get rolling here. Norma

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

Spring may be a month away but it's in the air. Tonight I'm going to the CT Flower & Garden show. It will be nice to smell some mulch.

Carry on,

Sue

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

LOL Sue!

I noticed an odd smell in our dining room. Figured it out quickly! It was my Valentine roses! Who would have expected grocery store roses to have a wonderful scent! :) Sure has been too long since sunny garden weather. I hope to smell some new compost once spring actually arrives. End of April?

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Tonight is couples Bible study if the snow doesnt stop us. Its just starting to come down. Tomorrow I hope to accomplish some Julie Jobs. Spring is right around the corner so Id best get going. Ive been painting picture frames the last few days. We had some aerial shots of the farm which DH really likes displayed and they actually get more attention from guests than anything else I have on the walls. Anyway these were in oak frames and for something different Im painting them all the same espresso color that I painted my laundry cabinets. I will rehang them in the office. I like the way they turned out.

I have to say Im relieved that the auditors are gone, but we have another set of auditors coming next week. That audit is internal and actually doesnt involve me nearly as much. PM as for the completion of the audit we understand it stays open for approx. 6 months.

Norma, I can understand the fear of a patrolmans wife. As for dangerous jobs farming ranks right up there.

Deanne, your coleus look fabulous along with the orchids and abutilon. I havent gone to the Rosy Dawn website and probably wont I must restrain myself and my purchases.

It seems hard to believe that Kathy is pulling weeds.

It is now light when I drive to and from work. That makes me happy.

bug, I plan on spring on the 1st of April. Some years Im disappointed LOL

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

My sister just stopped by to show me decorations and such she picked up for Jen's/Kate's shower. Lots of little pink things and all so cute! The shower's a week from Sunday. Time is flying. Bella's birthday is next Thursday. I can't believe she'll be 4 already!

Michelle, the matching frames sound like a great idea. I always find it gets interesting arranging them all on the wall. Take a picture please? April 1 is the beginning of spring in my mind too. Some years it doesn't work out that way but many it does.

Norma, I loved your picture! I think I'd really like your home and garden. I always love the bits of them you post.

Marie, we like fondue here too! I've never done a "meat" one though. Just cheese or chocolate.

Marian, your orchids are beautiful!

Deanne, what can I say! Spectacular! Who'd ever think plants overwintering under lights could look like that! I'll be thinking good thoughts that just the right job turns up for Doug. And soon!

Denise, I found it very interesting to hear about Marty's job. Welcome to the flat screen tv club, lol.

That's it from me for now. I'm squeezing this in while Bella's playing. Time to fix us something for dinner though.

Eden

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I may be down for the count tomorrow! I did a lot of vacuuming that required a lot of furniture moving. And I am not even expecting company! The first job was Nolon's bedroom. I was checking his phone connection yesterday, and was horrified at the dusty cobwebs between the head of his bed and the wall, and the deep dust beneath his bed. It looks sooo much better now. Then I did the livingroom and dinningroom. I should have dusted first, but the vacuuming had first priority. I can still see the furniture, but could hardly see the carpet in the livingroom. LOL. When my rich uncle gets out of the poorhouse, and I inherit his money, I need to get a new livingroom carpet, amongst other household items.

After the vacuuming, I went out to carry in the day's firewood, and ended up throwing more limbs on the piles.
    Nolon did some more wood-cutting from the larger limbs. The yard is slowly becoming more presentable, but there are a jillion tiny twigs to rake up and remove.

It is quite warm today,(upper 50s), but very windy.

Pm2, I don't give myself much credit for my improvement. I am sure a lot of my problem a year ago was a bad reaction to meds.
    I agree about the night posting. If I am tired, I say things that I shouldn't.
    Despite my take on your advice last year, I realize you only meant to be helpful.
    I keep forgetting to mention how sorry I am about your eye problems. That must be awfully hard to cope with. Do you have the dry eye syndrome?

Norma, I don't think I have forced quince, but mine are showing color, so would probably go ahead and open if cut and brought in.

Kathy,( and Norma), you are probably right about the vases at WalMart, but I really prefer something with a lid so all the dust and pollen that invades our house does not get into the marbles. I have a large collection of vases.
    What is that Tasmanian Tiger? I have never grown an Erysium like yours, but used to grow Wallflowers. I loved the orange ones.
    Handsome cats. :-)

Martie, "brighter" is a good definition of my mood this year. I was in a very dark mood a year ago. The ice storm momentarily had me down, but the bright sunny days have rejuvenated me. :-)
    If your Phal is showing buds, it should be blooming well into the summer, maybe even until fall. They are very long blooming. Mine are in a southeast window.

Deanne, our two cats are a lot more active lately too. I bought a couple of catnip mice, and a Pop Open cat play cube. They are having a time with the catnip mice espacially, along with several other toys. Trubby likes to chase Tommy. Trubby loves for me to chase him. He has taken to coming to where I am setting and gazing at me until I play with him. Mine have never climbed into my lap when I am at the computer, and never never have got onto my keyboard. That would be a definite no no. Trubby is not a lap cat for me, but Tommy likes it. They are both lap cats for Nolon.
    As I suspected, your orchids put mine to shame. :-(
    Most of my Phals are later this year also. I wonder why? Mine usually start in January, and go until June or July.
    Yes, I have coleus in all forms....potted, rooted, and rooting. I imagine you recognize the orangish one? ( I can't think of it's name....Sonora? )
    Yours are absolutely gorgeous! I see an Iresine there too. I have carried mine over, and have some rooted also.
    I never had much success with Abutilon.
    Your garden scene is beautiful!
    The ladder was on mounted tires. I worded that wrong. :-(

Marie, sorry that the EX problems is causing Wayne to take up smoking again. I love Sarah's attitude. And it is good that your DS is hanging in there.

Speaking of smells in the livingroom....thank goodness the bad odors in our livingroom have gone away. I hope, for good!

Michelle, snow is possible by morning here! Please please...not a heavy snow, with more breakage!

Thanks all, for the compliments on my orchids. I do really enjoy them.

Marian

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Norma - the course runs to near the end of April. Today, while checking out possible plants for my 'client's' garden, I found the plant I told Randy I need for my birthday :-) (scroll about halfway down in the link below...)

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Deanne, your coleus look wonderful and I am very sorry I won't be able to take any home with me this year.

pm, I think that Michelle probably has more bad weather than I do, but I just whine about it more! ;) The snow that she is getting right now is on track to hit me next, and they now are calling for up to 10 inches.

Roads today were fine as we had a lot of sun yesterday and that melted most of the ice on the roads.

Not much more new here. It's quiet at home as DH is still on the road. I did a couple of minor jobs but pretty much am taking the night off before tackling the job of painting the ceiling tomorrow.

I'd better post before this idyll goes into overtime.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Friday evening greetings to all. More weeding done this evening, we expect rain tomorrow again, If it doesnt show up Ill spend a couple hours pulling the little buggers. Excitement in the seedling incubation center Coleus Limelight has made an appearance ! For some reason I was expecting them to take longer to germinate.

and speaking of Coleus, jeesh Deanne , did you have to post that pic during the cooling off period ? Weekends are a dangerous time for internet shopping ! Yours look mighty happy . I am going to be much more diligent about cuttings next fall, especially in view of mail ordering very cool varieties. Loved the pic of the Terraces , snow bound though they may be. I projected myself into the photo in July , wine glass in hand .

Chelone, Marian is right about Ted- he is a tabby . Calico cats if I am not mistaken, are always female a genetic trait . Ted is one of the coolest cats weve had (and weve had many through the years) and I hope he is one of those cats that lives to a ripe old age. He is probably about 10 or 11 years old and has never been ill .

Marian, you did a Julie Job ! I always feel better after deep cleaning anything ,even though its not always fun while doing it . Tasmainian Tiger is a Euphorbia- I bought it a few years back in 4inch pot at a private plant sale, but now it is much more widely available. It was very slow to establish- PM asked if it was invasive , and Id have to say no, Ive never seen a seeding from it. Its really one of my favorite plants now, and is next to "The Fairy" rose which is pink and they look great together.

Michelle, the first of April sounds like a good spring-target date to me. Baseball season usually starts that week too. We are very springlike right now, but the danger of frosty nights is still real so I have to be very careful about what I put outside. My begonias will stay in for at least 3 more weeks. I am now editing any family pics that I will hang to black and white. I like the fact that the photos look kind of classic no matter what year they are taken and the fashions of the time dont detract from the portrait. I have a black and white gallery in my stairway hall , some photos and some drawings.

Marie, Im sorry to hear of Waynes struggles with tobacco. My late DH was a victim of this too, and it eventually killed him. When I think back to my childhood and teenage years it seems like virtually everybody smoked- I can think of very few people I knew during that time (including myself) who didnt ..I was in my 20s when I quit and I was never a heavy smoker; I could go for days without a cigarette. Its a very addictive thing for some and a comfort in time of stress. I hope he can stop soon for the sake of his own health .

Martie, I hope things are cool at the Park ? I too am really noticing the light skies when I go to work in the morning . Headlights are still on , but I can actually seem my way from my usual parking spot into the building . I have to ask will you join us for all or part of IU 6 ? I would so enjoy meeting you in person !

Woody, love that Butterfly" JM.. If I had the space to have serious collection I surely would do so.

So wonder where Wendy is ? Brenda?

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

I very much enjoyed Marian's link to Tabby cats. I had always thought "calico" was the term for cats that have largely grey coats, but with large patches of white and also hints of buff around their eyes and the bases of their tails. I see that coloration in handsome Ted although his coat appears to a "classic" or "modified classic" Tabby. Vera is "classic" Tabby, both Spencer and Polly are "mackerel" Tabbies, but both show the coloration I described above as "calico", Spencer having a good deal of white on his body. I was esp. interested to learn that a Tortoiseshell pattern is a specific sort of Calico and I did know that coloration is very closely sex-linked. It's all very interesting. But I've never met a cat that wasn't!

I did some alteration work yesterday and shortened two pair of tab top curtains, using the excess fabric to fashion tie backs for them, too. I have another two pair of slacks to hem and a zipper to replace either today or tomorrow. Alterations and repair/re-style work always comes back when economic conditions take a nose dive. And I'm very glad I was well trained lo those many years ago. Anyone need new pockets in anything?. (I've become rather rusty with zipper replacements in slacks, though. It took me 15 minutes, up from my personal best which was about 8 minutes (including removing the broken one). ;)

Woody, I've seen that Jap. Maple at a local nursery and I simply adored it. You have excellent taste! We have a Bloodgood on the Compound and I've wanted to add a few more but there is still too much "hardscaping" and reorganization on the docket for me to consider forking over the sort of pork required to obtain a nice sized specimen. I rather miss your frequent posts, too, but knowing you're "applying yourself" to the class makes me smile.

Michelle, I love the look of matching picture frames... and the aerial views of the farm must be wonderful. I recall commenting on them once a long time ago. It's always neat to see things from the perspective of a bird (or Brenda as she plummets toward terra firma after hurling herself out of plane). I'll bet you're glad the audit is over! I suppose the thing to bear in mind is that the audit is there as form of control and protection and NOT to simply make everyone's life miserable for a fixed period of time. This is definitely the time of year I most wish I'd made the effort to bring in some "germamiums" from the windowboxes... alas.

PM, how funny that I didn't read your post to Marian in a negative way, at all. But I've never been much for hunting for "DHMs" (deep hidden meanings) anyway; takes too much time and too much energy, to my mind. ;)

I'm impressed by the scope of the JulieJobs you put behind you, Marian. Wanna come here and do some of that in my house? I'll bet you felt great after you finished. It's good to know you're in a "brighter" place. Life in a dark, shadowy world is no fun but sometimes we find ourselves there even when we don't wish to be. I would really like to see the pop open cat cube; our cats have developed a real fondness for a particular upholstered footstool that sits in front of Daddy's chair. It's been basically shredded, and reclaiming it from their sharp little claws will be no day at the beach for me, but for the time being it's OK that they pounce on it, grapple it, and slither around underneath it. We do indulge them. ;)

Wondering if Mary has yet put a stopwatch on David's manoeuvering through the wheelchair agility course? Were you able to get to the concert? I thought of you on Thursday when my boss told me there is a gluten-free bakery going into one of the storefronts in town. Another one offers something called "Chocolate Decadence Cake" as a wheat-free offering. I do believe you're a trend-setter! :)

Norma, I managed to score a large piece of 3" foam last week. I'd just finished making new cushions for a cuddy cabin and replaced the foam in the process. If I put it to the coals and make a cover for it Rex will have a smashing new bed, VERY plush. Best of all, he won't care if the foams smells a tad musty! Next warm spell I'll clip some Forsythia... you just shove the shoots in water, right?

Cigarettes. I saw firsthand what regular use of them did to someone I loved. Bladder cancer is 95+% attributable to cigarettes. 60+ yrs. of a solid pack/day put Mum in the sorry position she found herself for the last 5 yrs. of her life. Not to mention the toll on her respiratory and vascular system. There are theories that smoking also affects hearing, weakening and reducing elasticity in the tympanic membrane. When I was changeing the urostomy pouch once/twice every week and routinely dealing with all the necessary steps involved I used to look at pretty young women huffin' on a butt and think that there was a time when Mum thought as they did... nothing will ever happen to me. And I wanted to take them home with me to get a good, hard look at REALITY... an 80 yr. old woman who was reduced to peeing into a bag glued to her side and depending on someone else to care for her most intimate, personal needs. Not to mention the sheer scope of the MONEY wasted maintaining the habit. Do the arithmetic, a pack a day X365, then calculate the interest it could earn (or save if applied to a mortgage or installment loan). Clearly, we all share the same view on the topic. But the fact that the addictive properties of nicotene are now becoming clear gives me hope. I feel so bad for W, because he knows the score and in the face of so much flux in his life he's unable to get that monkey off his back. Lots of love (and more love) and support is all that will work. I truly wish him well because I understand just how tough an addiction it can be to get under control. Also the toll it takes on those around you. ((('bug))).

Great pictures and Deanne your backyard is as lovely in winter as it is in the summer. I can't wait to see you next weekend; let's hope there is no snowstorm!

OK! it's time to get busy with the day. We chalked the lines for the floor last night and it's time for me to get out there and come up with my plan of attack. It took me a fair piece of time to come up with numbers to lay out the grid. I'd been stuck in a rut seeing only parallelograms (rhombus, actually) and was having trouble coming up with measurements required to lay out the grid. Then it came to me... a rhombus is actually 2 equilateral triangles, which can be broken into 4 right triangles... and then it's only a matter of plugging numbers into an equation and isolating variables. Praise be Pythagorus! :) (I loved geometry and it was geometry that made Algebra make sense for me, isn't that silly?). It tickles me that V. is working on the ceiling and I'll be working on the floor... reminds me of the great Paul Simon song, "One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor".

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning...

Interesting reading this morning, as usual and has me thinking.

Most in our family work in offices which I wouldn't consider dangerous at all, aside from the long shot of a disgruntled employee. One son worked for awhile as a welder, sometimes on high buildings and I found that a worry. I'm glad he no longer does that. Farming, the Police Force, Fire Department, definitely has it's worries and wonder how you all cope.

Eden, it's a wonder you can sleep nights, what with the shower and Bella's BD and spring coming....and the baby coming!! :-)

V....I'm thinking that part of your situation is that the area you live in seems to have roadways you have to travel that are very difficult in the bad weather. That is what I hear you mentioning the most and I would find that stressful. We get our fair share of bad weather here, but our location has level roadways, well traveled, no windy areas, and we are very close to major highways and can almost always depend on the roads being passable pretty quickly after a storm for the most part. Years ago, we lived above a series of hills and had to go up and down no matter which way we went. I remember how stressed we always felt in the winter. I don't miss that.

Yay Kathy, Coleus seedlings! That was quick. I have a few seeds I haven't started yet and was just looking up germination info yesterday and it mentioned quick germination but slow to grow larger, so I better get a move on. I had exactly one Coleus last season and took cuttings and I still have two that have survived the winter. I will definitely take more this year too, after seeing Deanne's beauties. At least there is hope of getting them through if not quite in the same condition. [g]

My Dad died of Lung Cancer and an uncle died of it when I was in my twenties. I remember well when the dangers of smoking were not known and everyone smoked. Everyone in our family smoked. After our uncle died, I finally quit. I had been a heavy smoker and made many attempts to quit before I finally did. Then one by one every person in my family quit. My Mom quit when she was in her 70s. So my children have never had a smoker in the family and two of them have never been smokers, but one DS still managed to pick up the habit, which he is trying very hard to give up. This will be his third major attempt. Stressful times has been the trigger for going back the last two.

Chelone....Hope you are taking lots of pictures of the floor process. Thought you might enjoy the photo below. ....Thanks for the DHM comment. No deep hidden meaning intended, just trying to be nice. ;-) .... I actually flunked Home Ec. in high school. [g] I took it two or three years. I was absent a lot and I am sure that had a lot to do with it. I remember the dread we all had for zippers and how hard it was to get it to come out right. I chose a dress pattern with buttons down the front. My GF and I took Woodworking the next year. :-) We were the first girls to take the course. I enjoyed that too. Over the years, I learned to be a very good cook, have read many books on nutrition, have made a quilt or two and my own curtains and could clean rings around our hired house cleaners and enjoy every minute of it. Funny how things turn out. My Home Ec teachers would have been very surprised, I am sure, but I still can't put in a zipper. lol ..... Speaking of sewing...I had a book out of the library 'The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing' that has 1200 full color how to photos. Very helpful for filling in the holes in my experience. I especially liked the section that showed how to see if the tension on your stitches was correct and how to fix it. That has always been hit or miss for me.

Off to the library later, which is a treat. Any 'must reads' for me, anyone?

Missing Woody's posts too... :-)

{{gwi:149644}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

PM, I loved reading Remembering the Bones...by Itani.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Thanks Gardenbug...they do have it but it's out, so I reserved it. They had a review of it and it sounds good. :-)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!