Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

#352 - 'Still lie the sheltering snows....

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;

And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;

No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,

And willow stems grow daily red and bright.

These are days when ancients held a rite

Of expiation for the old year's ill,

And prayer to purify the new year's will."

- Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

No early risers this morning to start a new thread?

Following Gardenbug's January lead...

:-)

pm2

Comments (104)

• chelone
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Count me in, too, Sue. I'm sure you must have days of great sadness and for that I'm genuinely sorry.

Don't be a stranger, OK?

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Here's the process. 1) Check who's posting. Check again. Thought it was Sue. It is Sue. 2) Wonder who her first husband was and how long ago and why she wasn't divorced by now 3) Oh. Yow. Huh. 4) Really glad it's amicable. Life is change?

I've been chopping grasses in the backyard, and took Katie for a walk nekked. Katie, not me. She is still balder than bald on back, side and leg.

(New Englanders do not read this: It's 53F. Going to the Safeway for more french bread and lemonade.)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Sue, thanks for sharing. I'm so sorry, but glad you are happy to be off to a fresh start. You DO get both dogs, right???? AND THE GARDEN! ((hugs))
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue, it must have been a rough year, so sorry that you have had that to deal with. Not easy to keep things amicable, so you both have done well to manage that. I hope things move along as you want them to and that you can both look forward. I hope the spring will be a welcome distraction for you. :-)

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Sue, I'm so sorry. I'm not exactly shocked. I had actually caught the subtle hints that you dropped a couple of times, but was hoping that it wasn't true.

It's blustery here and cold. I need to get out for at least a short walk, so I'd better get going. I have a treadmill but avoid it if I can.

Michelle

• chelone
    16 years ago

I dutifully finished the first coat of paint on the ceiling of the Salon today. I've done it halves so far, so I'd be able to at least function physically the next day. (It's 28'wX36'l). Tomorrow I begin the second (final) coat. Myu big indulgence was to order a quart of the wall color I have in mind. I have been a deep, rich "kick" for many years now and I willfully ordered the quart in a tone one step PALER than I had in mind!!! I brushed on several "test patches" on all walls and will be interested to see how sunlight affects it (if we ever see the sun again. ;) !). But I'm rather liking it... much brighter, "more clear", and much less "muted/muddied/greyed" than the shades/tones I generally select. Much more "Disney", with a humorous nod to long departed Spike...

Cynthia, does Dannie get to play with the prize once she's done whatever it is "coursing" is supposed to do for her? How do you reward her for a "job well done"? Wrecks will do about anything for a tennis ball, lol. But KEY to the whole thing is that he actually GETS to mess around with the tennis ball after I've finished "messin' with his mind"! We should ALL be so easily amused, huh?

I know nothing about pickling woodwork, you guys. But I know that the "recipe" is white primer, but somewhere between 50/50 and 25/75 using the appropriate base thinner. Water based will raise the grain, oil based not so much. Important to experiment and seal with a sealant that has the same base as the "pickling" wash. Water or oil, obviously... DUH. Clearly, there is no sure-fire recipe and some experimentation is in order. LOL, PM2, about not knowing until it "pinks up". You're so right!

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Chelone, I used to know the recipe when we did the bedroom floor many years ago. Now that I'm senile, I'm no help at all. I know it wasn't water based and I know it stank terribly for a few days....

I think Phoebe's name is sticking. We prepared her playpen today. A crate, plenty of toys, bedding, food, etc. Please, no blizzard next Saturday!

Yes Marian, I make that cake every year because of DH's birthday and Valentine's Day. Also DD requested it for her wedding cake. No doubt I posted it before. Chelone, we like our whipped cream STRAIGHT, no vanilla, no sugar. Not sure that would meet your criteria. Maybe I should just send the cow?

We picked up valentines for the bébés today. I tried to get DH to be involved. "Try to be romantic about this, for a whole week!" "What's that? I'm male!" was his response. Anyway, he did well and we found some very sweet cards for them.

Was it PM2 who asked about my other addiction? (Besides plants) Yes I do enjoy china plates, but I've never felt right about spending money on those. So I will often buy just 2 of something I like now that there are only 2 of us at home. But last week I bought 6 plates for a total of $12 just to lift my spirits.
    {{gwi:147702}}
    I also like other things, like fabric. Pretty is important to me.

OK, we need COLOUR!!! Remember this?
    {{gwi:149715}}

And then Marian spoke about new usage of words. This is something truly annoying when it comes to dealing with government. For example, the stone and gravel people speak of "protecting" gravel. The media picks up on this and says they are protecting things and acting responsibly. But in fact, "protect" doesn't mean what the public means by that word. It means that they are extracting at rapid speed, guaranteeing that it can actually be exploited. Other words they play with are "complete", "education" "interim land use" and more. I spend lots of time on this stuff, so pardon the harangue.
    Dinner prep time!
    'bug

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Chelone, a life lesson from Dannie: 'The chase is the thing.' It's the running flat out after something that's the reward. The lure is a stuffed white fluffy thing or a white plastic bag. Doesn't matter, it goes pretty fast. Greys run at 45mph and can get there in 3 strides. Dannie will run without something to run after,(many don't) but give her something to chase and a wide open field (fenced!) and she can't get over herself. Happy happy girl.

• chelone
    16 years ago

I'm all about unadulterated whipped cream, 'bug. I like mine, "straight up"... no sugar, no vanilla. Send the cow.

Amazing to me, Cynthia, the difference in the most highly "refined" domesticated species. Rex would be so BORED with a "lure" after the first shot; there wouldn't be nearly the mental stimulation he requires. He simply isn't "wired" to be satisfied with a racing after a lure; he needs a "job" and without one he finds one for himself. It's MY job to prevent the necessity of the former. I fell asleep about 1/4 of the way through the PBS show on dogs... loser.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chelone....maybe you can find someone who has already done pickling some time ago using the recipe you are thinking of using and can tell you how it aged?

Gbug...$2. a plate is a great deal for those plates. I have just the one china hutch with no room for anything any more. I do enjoy plates and that particular shape of soup bowls too. Funny, I never think of you and DH as a twosome, since I am always seeing photos with the family. [g]

Oh, btw, it was Kathy who asked about your other addictions in the last thread.

Love that bee...great detailed close up, did you take it?

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

OOOPS! Sorry Kathy, and thanks PM! Yes, I took that photo in 2005 when I first got my camera.

I'll go look for stamps now for that cow....err, the lawn mower.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I'm behind, but I wanted to say thanks for the well wishes. I have made a decision about THE PROBLEM and that makes everthing a little better :)

Sue, I wish every happiness for the both of you and am glad that it is amicable. As Nick and I have been working through some stuff, I've reminded myself that if it should end, I would like it to be on good terms for all involved. Nuff said.

I am out straight and just sat down to shut the computer down. We leave tomorrow morning for the airport at 4am....ugh. I haven't even packed, but the kids and animals are all cared for.

All I need is a bikini and a tooth brush, huh? Throw in a speedo for Nick and we're all set. Oh....might need some sunscreen!

I was going to say pickle....really was.....my FIL was a painter by trade in another life....if you're still not done when I return a week from monday then I will consult him for you :)

Have a great time and don't talk so much that I can't catch up. I seriously spewed my water on my keyboard when V announced that she was Jazzy and then Sue didn't want a Margarita at Babs....you guys are the best.

and the cake at GB's does belong in Bon Appetit....how do you get the lighting like that?

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Evening Idyllers!

Lot's going on here. I've been a bad Idyller and just periodically lurking. Easier than taking the time to compose a post since I've had my hands full. We have been working on the livingroom painting project. Walls are prepped and ceiling's painted but I ended up deciding to go with a robin's egg blue instead of green and can't seem to find just the right shade that I see in my head. Bella's been sick twice in the last few weeks so that's been fun too. She's just getting over the last bout of crud. Luckily Brad and I have stayed healthy.

Winter's still got a good hold on us here and I hate it. Some of you seem to be romanticizing the snow:) I see it as cold, wet and a royal pain to drive in and I can't wait until it's gone.

First off I especially want to tell Woody that my thoughts are with you and I hope things go well for you. You're a fighter and that counts for a lot!

Sue, like Michelle, I've had a strong suspicion that's what was going on with you. I hope things are working out for the best for you (and Tom) and you're both able to find happiness!

Chelone, I did a pickled finish on my bedroom floor around 10 years ago. It's held up well, no pink:). I used water based, thinned down primer and remember doing alot of sanding. Minwax has a pickling stain out now that's probably what I would use if I were to do it again. I always use Varathane, water based, satin finish on everything I paint. It dries fast and hard and doesn't yellow. I'm in the process of painting all of my interior trim cottage white but for the Scandinavian look you're talking about for the salon I think the pickling might be the way to go.

Almost forgot the big news around here...Bella's now potty trained, which is a HUGE deal! Marie, I've wondered through our potty training journey how the early training you were talking about with Reed panned out?

I like the name Phoebe for the puppy, Marie! My grandma, whose name was Sarah, had a twin sister named Phoebe. And I also think of the Phoebe character from the sitcom Friends who was a real ditz but always funny. I like your new dishes too! I went on a dish shopping spree this afternoon while Brad stayed with Bella. It' becoming an addiction, but seems to be replacing buying plants, so that's ok for a change.

Honey, fingers crossed here for Tom's job, your job and hoping things go smoothly for dd this week too! What great supportive parents you are.

Michelle, oh it will be so hard to adjust to being far from Kenzie. My mom and dad moved 230 miles away 10 years ago and I still hate it. Once my parents moved away my kids would always go spend the month of July with them. The kids did better with their move than I did. I can't imagine not having Bella or my kids close but I would adjust if I had to I suppose, as will you.

Kathy, I'd come across those old Idyll threads recently too. I liked the style of Idyll conversation back then and still when I began posting in early 2004. Everyone would pop in with comments throughout the day. It was more like an ongoing conversation and easier than the way we comment now. I think in the first years of Idylls the posters had more time to Idyll throughout the day and our lives have mostly gotten busier. I know mine has.

Mary, I loved your mini bakery and your beadwork. You do beautiful work! Iris will love the little felted bugs. I know Bella would!

Cynthia, what a wonderful picture of Dannie running like the wind. What freedom she must feel while doing that. So what cha doin' with that lemonade:) a little vodka perhaps??? Wine night here, just waiting for Brad to get back with provisions and then we'll settle in for season 4 of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Time to end this and get Bella to bed. Have a good evening all!

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

So good to see Babs, Saucy, Honey and Eden here today! We need Ei here too! Eden, you talked about how supportive Honey and Tom have been for DD...and I agree. Also, I think you and Brad are champs in that department as well! Deanne, Drema and V too. I guess we parents just are all born needing to help them when life attacks! You are all mighty special.

I'm off to Toronto for a bit, so will be back in a few days.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

What a day weve had here- up in the mid to high 60s , sun, no wind (for a change) and the fence dudes were able to get started on my storm downed fence. I spent most of the day pulling weeds and trimming back stragglers, including plants that were squished in the fence calamity.
    Think I like Cynthias Nutella recipe best- the one that involves cream cheese and booze.

Sorry I have no time this evening for anything but this brief wave, suffice it to say all the best to Sue, and Hi Eden !

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I have been pondering Sue's announcement. I know that you, Sue, have had lots of health problems and I am hoping that did not contribute to the divorce. I am very fortunate that Nolon is patient with my ailments. Lot's of men wouldn't be. I wish you the best with the decision. No matter how amicable it is, it is hard to go through. My divorce was anything but amicable!

Good to see Eden resurface. Glad that there wasn't any serious problem causing your absence, Eden, but sorry that Bella has been sick. It seems this has been an extra bad winter for colds and flu.
    Great to hear that Bella is potty trained. I have always heard that girls are harder to train than boys. I never had a girl...so I don't know about that.

Saucy, I hope you have a great trip.

RE: whipped cream...I like mine adulterated, LOL! ...with both sugar and vanilla. Our preacher's wife brought a tub of homemade whipped cream for the pumpkin pie that she made for our Thanksgiving dinner. I thought is was the blandest whipped cream I ever ate. Now I know why! I never knew anyone made it with no sugar or vanilla! :-)

I guess I need to look up "pickling". I haven't the vaguest idea what it is ( other than making something to eat! LOL )

Pm2, the pictures of Camas Prairie are 'borrowed'. I didn't take any of them. I have some that I took with an old fashioned film camera, but didn't have a digital camera anytime while there. If I ever get to go back there, I will take digital pics that I can post.
    The reason my folks moved was most likely due to my dad's aging ( he was in his late 60s), and the need for a smaller place to farm. Also for a milder climate.
    Winter in that area used to be so bad that the mail was often delivered by dog team! The snows started in August, and stayed on until late May. There have not been that kind of winter there for many a year. This winter may be coming close. I read on their news that many schools in a wide area, including there, were closed due to deep snow just last week. Even the Boise area is getting snow ( but not deep) almost every day for the past 2 weeks or more. That is very abnormal for there.

Marian

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Here's a smile to end the day. As I was waiting for DH to retrieve his dry cleaning, I saw a newspaper box for a Spanish language give-away paper. The top of the box declared in large letter, "GRATIS" and then the English translation, "PRICELESS".

Priceless, indeed!

I'm sure that Saucy is pretending to sleep by now, but I hope she has a wonderful trip!

V.

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

V-but I used *clean* socks!

Denise-I like your humor ; )-you really crack me up. OK I missed something-Marty had an injury?? What kind of machine was this and it crushed his back & ankle(so how clueless do I sound lol)?? And he still wanted to sail(is he nuts?)-good for your hairy eyeballs: ) Fill me in I must have missed all that.

pm2-you are so right about the icing first since the initial injury is involving inflammation. Oh you are so lucky you didn't whack your head on the cement! When I had my first back blow-out I had that pain down the leg too and it even went to my foot-that was when I finally decided it was time for a doctor : ) I've done great today and I did walk as much as possible since sitting in the same position really aggravates the muscles. The test is how I feel when I slither out of bed in the morning-that's when I'm the worst...maybe I should keep a stocked ice cooler next to the bed lol...for the margaritas,that is.

It is interesting how the idyll chatter has evolved-it's true,we were much more casual back then about what we talked about too.

Cynthia I love that vase for the forsythia-is that old? It just reminds me of a vase of my grandma's that I think was from the late 1800's or early 1900's. That's very pretty.

Sue I'm so sorry this has all happened to you! While you seem relieved and it's amicable it still must have been a tough process to deal with. Like V, I had been noticing you have been quiet quite a bit lately so I was hoping you were OK. Thanks for sharing that with us.
    Here,this is for you...sans the ice pack ; )
    {{gwi:149717}}

Saucy have a good trip! You too 'Bug!

Need to restock the sock...
    ~Babs

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Hi Idylls! Sorry, I can't stay, but I wanted to make a post before you guys thought I was a total a** for not responding. My mother fell again on Friday and is in the hospital. No broken bones, but a minor brain bleed and they need to monitor her. Doctor great, but really opened my eyes up to some of my denial.

Anyway, I'll be back as soon as life gets back to normal. If no surprises mom should be able to come home tomorrow.

Anyway, thank you everyone... But can I state, now, just for the record, that if I ever *did* hurt anyone's feelings here or if I have upset someone I would like them to tell me...but in an *email* please...not here, okay? :-)
    And by that I mean Idylls; okay? No lurkers. I'm afraid to look at my email now...LOL! :-) Anyway....

Okay I only skimmed, but wanted to say quickly...
    #1 Woody, I'm still sending my positive thoughts.... and your buns look scrumptious (I just realized how that sounds...I can hear the comments now...LOL! Well, Woody knows what I mean!)

#2 How good it is to see so many of you that I haven't seen for awhile...Hi Eden...Hi Babs!

#3 And Sue, just giving my support...sorry to hear your news, but glad that you guys will be able to work it out amicably.

#4 Hi V...I may just have to find that pic and post it again...I *do* love those pixies! :-)

Anyway, will be thinking of you all and hope talk to you all soon...Ei

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Thanks for commiserating with me, I knew you would all understand my distress. Its not a done deal at this point. I mentioned earlier that SIL got his pilots license. Now he would like to get his commercial license. This would involve 1 2/3 years of schooling. Right now he is working in their family pizza business and can eventually take over since he is the only son. They have around 40 restaurants. I think getting married so young they would like to spread their wings a bit. They do plan to come back to the area afterwards, but who knows. It may be still as far as 4-8 hours away. Some of it depends on when their house sells. They will probably appreciate what they have here more once they are away.

Eden, Kenzie has finally really turned the corner with potty training as well. Thanks for the info on Varathane. I am in the process of painting the dresser in the guestroom and the laundry cabinets. The color is Coffee Clutch for you coffee lovers.

We actually had a good day working on projects around the house. The projects make such a mess though. Im trying to confine it mostly to the laundry room.

I also made bean soup with some ham we had. The recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook was called Stormy Day bean soup, perfect for today.

Denise, its fun to see your winter garden. I actually have quite a few plants in my garden that are evergreen, you just cant see them under the snow ;o)

The amaryllis is just finished, the paperwhites are about to begin and I bought a cyclamen. Just to buy time until spring.

Marian, your Idaho home is lovely.

Cynthia, thanks for another glimpse at your architecturally rich home.

bug, the cake looks yummy, but I prefer a little sugar in my whipped cream.

I hope Deanne and Doug arent still sick.

Goodnight, sleep tight.

Michelle

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Michelle, a friend's daughter is a pilot for one of the big commercial airlines, and she spent a few years based in Puerto Rico while she was working her way up. Does Florida feel closer now? lol.

Babs, I ran downstairs to check the price tag on the vase (which I leave on things like that so that Antiques Roadshow will not have to waste vauable time when the heirs take stuf in.) It's from Home Goods circa 2006. But I saw the same one when I was in there a few weeks ago.

Chelone, lure coursing is maybe two minutes a run. And no more than 3 runs, as it's an extreme load on the muscles and organs. It's part of what my dogs do, not all of what they do, and it's for socialization as well as fun and exercise. Hope that makes more sense. We belong to multiple play groups and Katie's going on a group walk at a farm later today if it's not too cold for her. If it's too cold we'll go to an open house instead where she can get her stimulation flirting with people :) What 'jobs' does Rex have that satisfy him? Strong believer in NILIF here, and I'll bet you're into that too.

I finished my painting and gluing yesterday, but it seems like I'm always painting something at this time of year, even if just touch ups. Is that what we do in winter instead of gardening? So nice to have a visit from Eden! Have you tried going through clothing catalogues to find just the right shade of blue? If you find it, just take a 2" piece of the photo into the paint store for computerized matching.

Saucy, I'm glad you worked through 'the problem.' Have a safe and wonderful trip. You too GB, looking forward to more puppy photos when you return. I happily anticipate 'Bringing up Phoebe' threads.

Found Helleborus niger blooming everywhere yesterday, and the H.orientalis are all budded up in most of the warmer sites. Denise, I could use more photos of your garden!

Hi to all! Cynthia

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Running like Dannie this morning but had to tell Sue:

Congratulations! I know that sounds bizzare, but when the decision gets made and action taken and a once-couple can still talk to each other enough to make it as calm as it can be, the hurt lessens somewhat. I speak from experience. The only time my former DH of 20 years and I really got along was as we were divorcing. Everyone's situation is different, but I'm glad for you and Tom that you realize what's best and are following that path. Of course, whatever you need........

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A very white and pretty snowy morning out my window. Sorry that some of you are getting so much weather that you are sick of it. I know a couple of years back we had a winter like that and although I love winter, I had reached my limit too. This year has been just right for me. Plus, I can't remember a winter that speeded by so fast before. We are heading out for a walk to the Pond this morning. We only go on the weekends at least until it starts to be light later in the day.

Pleasant surprise to see Eden...how are the cats and the begonias this winter, Eden? Congratulations on the potty training success, and how old is Bella now?

Nice to see the long time Idylls all catching up with each other. :-)

Kathy, seems the weather is cooperating with your goals of getting the outside projects done. Good timing.

Cynthia, I had meant to comment on your forsythia branches. Very artfully arranged. Love the curve and the length of the branches. What really caught my eye first though, was that wonderful arch with the molding detail...really exquisite! Lucky girl! Unfortunately, I don't have any forsythia in my yard. I had one shrub that morphed into 10 over a 20 year period that we dug out by hand along with every other shrub in the backyard about four years ago. I say 'we' very loosely, as always..someone else in the family doing the actual work. [g] We have made room for natives and I don't think I have any that would be candidates for forcing. I am planning on adding an Arnold's Promise perhaps even as early as this spring. So I will enjoy your arrangement instead. Take another photo when the flowers open for me! :-)

Gardenbug....would love to know what kind of camera you have...takes a great close up. Of course, it could just be the person taking the photo. [g]

Marian...it sounds like a very inhospitable place to live weather wise...or at least it was. It was really great that you were able to grow up with that wonderful scenery though. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Babs...maybe hot shower in the morning, ice the rest of the day? Glad you are feeling better!

Ei, so sorry about your Mom and hope she is feeling better soon.

The Pond is calling... :-) pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ooops! Meant to add a link to a song that caught my attention this morning. Thanks to all that sent me to NPR. :-) Thought it was an appropriate song for many facing challenges...see if you like it too...

pm2

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

{{gwi:149718}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Had to get on my own computer any way, so I uploaded photos from our walk this morning. The path around the Pond was too slippery so we went to a square where we sometimes walk. The sun came out just as we got there and it was nice and warm.

Saw a few of these displays along the way...

{{gwi:149720}}

Pretty to listen to too...

{{gwi:149721}}

Isn't this an interesting little area....

{{gwi:149723}}

Very large glass suncatcher in a shop window...

{{gwi:149724}}

• denisez10
    16 years ago

A quick good morning, birthday greetings to Chelone. Ei, that's awful about your mom. I've gotta check in on my folks today -- first week with the glucometer for my dad and they can't get readings. Safe journeys to Saucy and g'bug. Lots of painting projects going on - but not here. Did nothing remotely productive yesterday except making it to the feed store for 50 lbs of alfalfa pellets for the garden, had crab cakes near the beach, checked the Mac store for widgets (PM2 I'm on a PC but the household is on Macs. Macs are best. My court reporting software is only just getting compatible with Macs. I think plant you asked about in last photo is an agave.) Hello, Eden!

My mom told me I was a dream to potty train, that boys were the worst. Both my boys were well over two before the light dawned. Reed is probably reading the newspaper while taking care of his busines by this time ;-)

Sue, so very sorry to read you've been having these ongoing issues. Hoping that "amicable" means garden and puppies are where you want them.

This group needs some humor. Watching Marx Bros. Horsefeathers:
    Woman: Why, Professor! You're full of whimsy!
    Groucho: Didn't think you'd notice it over there. I'm always full of whimsy when I eat radishes.

Happy Birthday, Chelone!
    {{gwi:149726}}

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

**Happy Birthday Chelone**

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

{{gwi:149727}}

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Chelone !

{{gwi:149729}}

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday, Chelone!

{{gwi:149731}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't have any flowers for your birthday...but I thought you might find this link of interest. When you get to the webpage, click on February Born....it is a very interesting radio show transcript on a show that was done about not only famous people like Washington and Lincoln who were born in February, but many artists and performers etc. You share your birthday month with a lot of interesting people.

Happy Birthday Chelone! :-)

• just_t
    16 years ago

Hello everyone!

Just popping in for a fast hello.

Sue, you know you've been on my mind and I'm so glad that all is still well in your home. Best wishes on finding the right applicant to fill the open spot in your company.

Ei, so sorry to read that your mother has fallen and was injured. I do hope she will be okay with no lasting damage.

Woody...absolutely rotten news for you and I hope that all will be okay.

Babs, hope that back improves soon......if it still hurts, have another margarita (and another if you'd like) and call me in the morning. ;o)

Hooray for Dannie and chasing after the lure! Also a huge sigh of relief and smile of happiness that Katie is doing well enough to attend either a walkabout or to go to the open house. Will she wear her pearls and a cute hat? I hope her recovery continues until she twirls happily whenever she wishes to do so.

Michelle, my heart hurts for you over the possiblity of Kenzie and her family moving. I know how sad I'd be if any of the grands were too far away to visit with easily.

V, hello! I'd help shovel that snow if I were there....uh, huh. I would. ;o)

Eden! Hello!!! Bella is a big girl! :oD

Mary! Hello to you! I love the beaded pretties that you made along with that neat dragonfly. Your minatures are wonderful and your talent along with your imagination is limitless.

I hope Deanne is okay.......missing her posts.

Honey!!!! Hugs to you and Tom. I hope and pray all works out for you both.

'bug is getting the puppy soon....FUN times ahead!!

I hope Saucy has a wonderful time!!!

Okay, DH just came in and asked me to go outside and help him trim goat's hooves...I know all of you are jealous and wish you, too, could do something so wonderful and fun. I am a lucky girl..........not. ;o)

A very happy birthday to Chelone!!!

My best to all,
    T.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHELONE !

{{gwi:146691}}

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

T, right now I think I would be happy trimming goat hooves at your place. It's been below zero all day and the wind has been howling. We have learned that our weather station only calculates wind chills to -39.9 F. After that, it only displays -0F.L, which I claim is computer shorthand for "AWFUL".

Ei, I thought I sent my sympathies on your Mom's fall, but maybe I only thought I did. So excuse me if I'm repeating myself!

And I need to slow down as I read, since I thought T was wishing Sue good luck on filling her vacancy at home!

I enjoyed your walk, pm. Looks like it was warmer there!

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

{{gwi:149734}}

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

The fence guys were done by about 1pm today, so that is one more issue laid to rest. It looks pretty bare out there right now, the combination of winter sleeping plants and numerous items that I had to cut back to the nubs to make room for the workers.
    Ive put away my tools, yard waste recycle is full to the brim so time for a bit of Idylling before dinnertime.

I was thinking about PMs morning walk and her pic of the shopping area it this a small town PM ? You see very few brick buildings out here because of the earthquake situation. I think if you use brick there are very stringent code requirements that make the construction substantially more costly. And their lack of course always makes them seem very exotic and beautiful to me. We do have several brick buildings in the older areas of Napa, the majority of those being commercial buildings built before The Big One in 1906. It is very rare to see a home built of brick here. By the way, I enjoyed the link to Ben Sollee. I must have missed that segment on NPR or perhaps it was not broadcast in my area-I listen to KQED San Francisco.

Marian, beautiful pics of your native lands in Idaho. Thanks for posting that link. It is certainly hard to describe to people who have never seen it the concept of big sky. My favorite big sky region is New Mexico. If I was a multi-home zillionaire , New Mexico would be one of my domiciles for sure. Might be about time for you to post more pics of your African Violets ..bet Denise and PM dont know you are the resident expert on those !

So where has Deanne got to ?
    And Norma ?

You surely have some architectural details going on at Chez Cynthia I can see that part of the responsibility of owning a home like that is to keep up the maintenance on the woodwork. Im still in awe over the sunroom. Happy times to Katie as she finds her way back to the twirl zone.

T, always glad to hear another report from the pacific time zone. Its 5:30 and still light out here, though the sun has set. My BILs in Portland have reported to me much snow this winter . Are you over in snowfall in your region ?

Eileen, good that you checked in, and I hope all goes well for your Mom. I always enjoy your chatty posts , and miss them when you are in absentia.

This is a pic of garden from today.
    It shows the new fence on the left.

{{gwi:149736}}

• deanneart
    16 years ago

{{gwi:149737}}

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

{{gwi:149739}}
    Hope it was filled with things you enjoy!

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

What a lazy day, I ended up taking a 2 hour nap. Hopefully, I can sleep tonight. The productive part of the day was another coat of paint on the cabinets. Kenzie called to tell Grandma that she now has earrings. She told me they were yellow. Her favorite color.

Ei, so sorry to hear that your mom fell. I hope she bounces back quickly.

V, we had the wind and subzero yesterday, but theres hope, today was subzero all day but less the wind ;o)

T, it seems that trimming hooves would be right up there with dehorning calves.

PM2, thanks for taking us along on the walk. I too love the use of brick in buildings, walkways and just about everything. I grew up in a brick house and the first house I owned was painted brick, but they arent exactly common around here.

Cynthia, I would love to come sit on your bench.

Not much else is going on here.

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

{{gwi:149740}}
    Hope you had a wonderful day Chelone!

I'm glad I made it in before Chelone has read all her birthday wishes and what beautiful wishes they are...gorgeous cards everyone! V - what are those beautiful flowers in those impossible colors? That's really lovely!

Thank you all for your good wishes. They decided to keep mom for one more day and do a few more tests, but everything seems okay.

Hi T! It's great to see you. I haven't done much but scan the past Idylls, but do remember your picture! You look phenomenal and should be proud of all your hard work. It's really hard to believe you are the grandma of 4! :-) Hope all is going well with you.

I've gotta hit the sheets...I'm pooped! Hope Chelone gets to peek in before she goes to sleep...think of all the lovely pictures that will be playing in her head as she falls asleep tonight if she does....

Good Night All!

Ei

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Wishing I could send the fragrance, too, Happy Birthday Chelone!!

{{gwi:149742}}

And to show you that just about anyone can "do" houseplants :-)

{{gwi:149743}}

Bracing for outside today and wishing a trip to see Denise, Kathy and T were in the offing .....

All best -

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning! Thank you all so much for sending your weather this way...lol. Yesterday when we walked, it was comfortable, in the high 40s, but within two hours it was snowing again, then stopped but as the day went on it became windier and colder and this morning I'm looking out the window at the Maple tree canopy just whipping around like it was a bush instead of a tree. Temperature before wind chill is now 6 degrees on the back porch. I hope it is warmer now, where you are. :-)

This Idyll was started on Thursday morning and it is almost full on Monday morning?

Glad you enjoyed our walk yesterday. Yes, it was a small town. Population 20,000 on 6.5 square miles. I also love anything brick and there is a lot of it around here. . Most of the downtown was brick, the sidewalks were brick. The library was a very pretty stone. A few very pretty churches. Something we don't see around here much are Arts & Crafts architecture, so I get excited when I see that, instead. Once in awhile we take a trip to Lexington MA. They just built a very pretty Arts & Crafts library a couple of years ago. Next time I am there, I will take some photos of it.

Painting projects....I have been very surprised to hear how much painting is done at this time of year. We usually wait for the good weather so we can open every window in the house and put on the house fan to dry fast and get the odor out as soon as possible. I really would rather have it done by spring, so we can concentrate on the garden, as usual. [g] Hoping to do some next month. There is a new paint store near us that offers environmentally friendly paint that I am going to check out.

Kathy....Looking very cozy there on the patio and amazing to see 'green'...lol. Getting that fence back up must have given you a lift. So are you just about finished with all your projects and ready to start showing the house? I have never been to New Mexico, must be very beautiful. I have only been out West once, for a wedding. Lake Tahoe area. Loved it there. I have been to Las Vegas though come to think of it and there is a lot of flat land and open sky there too. Does that qualify as 'Big Sky'?

V. ....I was thinking about what a change it must have been to move out to a rural area after being in an urban area for so long. Your neighbors are a half a mile away?? I always wanted to live in the country but never did. You must have a very large garden. Looking forward to seeing more pics come spring.

denise....Agaves...that's right, you have access to a lot of those there in California. And lots of different sansevieria which I love too. Alfalfa pellets for the garden....I haven't found a source for that around here yet. Do you garden organically? I do love those Mac widgets. It is looking like the mac is not going to connect with DH's office without major hassles, so I am looking at Win/PCs again, sadly.

Hello to all...heading out to an appointment shortly, with my ear muffs on!

pm2

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all!

A cold and windy one it is here today as well. I was off to CT for a seminar this weekend and had a nice group of people. I taught them how to do stroke work on a pretty little box with smoking on the edges of the lid. It all went well except for getting stuck in a traffic jam on Rt. 495 where it took me fifty minutes to go about five miles. Grrrr Pretty aggravating at the front end of what should normally be two hour drive turned into a three hour drive. Other than that though the weekend was a success and my class down there for April is already filled.

I was worried about the plants for the two day absence but theyre all fine. I shortened the day length under the lights from sixteen hours a day to ten hours a day and that kept them from drying out when I was gone. It was too short a time frame for them to get leggy from the lack of light so it all worked out. A couple of the coleus are getting huge right now and Im going to have to start cuttings sooner than Id like but I cant stand to throw away what I prune off of them right now,. LOL Ill just keep them in water so they dont grow too much.

I dont stand a chance of getting caught up but wanted to drop in to say hi to everyone. Hope Chelone had a nice birthday and that V and Michelle are surviving all that nasty winter weather thats been plaguing that section of the country.

OK time to get started here and get my suitcases unpacked, get some exercise etc.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

We're having problems connecting to the Internet since yesterday afternoon, so no picture but:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHELONE!

Sue - I did a double-take when I read your news. Amicable or not, I'm sure it's a stressful time. Gardens and dogs are good sources of peace in troubled times so hopefully you still have both! Best wishes to you....

• chelone
    16 years ago

Oh dear! My quick perusal this morning has turned up several lovely birthday wishes, and, sadly, several of the boxes that tell me I should have fired up the 'puter yesterday... :( I was too caught up in birthday revellry, NOT. Thank you for your good wishes.

I did, however, thoroughly enjoy "Rob Roy" and a collection of the finest Warner Bros. cartoons (sadly the Barber of Seville was not included in the offering), as well as few more pages of Catherine de' Medici. Both were rewards for the completion of the Salon's ceiling! This morning I plan to start painting the walls. The door to the stairwell was installed yesterday, as well. And I believe today is "wire and fire" day for the furnace... although helpmeet has to finish the "trunk" of the ductwork. Reliable heat will make it much easier to get the paining finished and deal with the surfacing for the chimney.

I'm still a week behind in reading (birthdays will do that to you) and have to toddle out the Salon as soon as I hang that load of laundry that is spinning right now.

Later!

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

O, man am I so behind!!!!
    I got caught up in the stupid paperpushing crapola re property that I didnt look this weekend - and sure enuf an entire idyll has gone by -- I did not even get to the bottom

But I wanted to add to Sue, that I had sensed that might be what was going on and Im so sorry -- but I feel good that you felt comfortable enuf to mention the changes in your life -- I know it's tough, tough, no matter how amicable -- but you're a gutsy graceful woman and I just know there are other better things out there in your future.

It was about 13 degrees here this a.m. -- that gets us back for the 70s we had a week ago, eh? I worried all nite as to whether the stupid neighbor (who left yesterday) kept her heat on or not.... so far no more new rushing waters - guess I'll know tonite though.

I can't believe how busy this thread got -- from 0 to 75 miles an hour in no time flat!

But it's great to see those who had "fallen behind" pop back in.

Hey, Chelone -- count me in on the Varathane crew (Im sure you know of it as I think they seal boats w/ it?) -- it's held up on my wooden stairs that were sealed white & stained wood for almost 20 years.

I spent the weekend fantasy shopping for carpet and furniture - luckily I bought nothing as the insurance gig is still undecided as to liability -- then the investement club yesterday which seems to take a lot of time and prep work.... the meetings never end until almost 6 or later Sunday nite (once a month) - interesting group of women, but we dont yet have our acts together!

Okay, a ton on my plate here this a.m. -- no jazzin or delishin from me -- I can't believe that woman actually said that about assisted living - (even if true) -- I doubt she knows what clothes to wear to an interview either!!!!

--Cindy

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday, Chelone - I hope it was great!

{{gwi:149744}}

Cindy

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Hi Chelone! Here's a birthday present...hope it was what you were looking for...

I really enjoyed watching...forgot how much I enjoyed that waskly wabbit!
    Here's an all time favorite of mine:

Tom & Jerry's "Touche, Pussy Cat!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAeOHsUGWCQ&feature=related

I just love that little baby mouse's voice! :-)

Okay...I have to be out of here in 5 minutes! Have a great day all! Ei

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

No school today : )! It's colder than a...a...well its really,really,cold out there. Wind chills made it down into negative teens. It's a balmy 9F now. I'm STILL in my jammies and I need to unload the dishasher-a welcome lazy day here. Winter storm watch for tonight. A good day for a pot of chili for dinner.

Deanne glad to realize you were busy with life and not necessarily ill. We worry about you when you disappear,you know. ; )

Calling pm2,M.D.-I'm feeling great(still cautious though)I was able to get out of bed without any pain! : ). Thanks for your advice-next time I will do icing right away. Loved your walk through town-such a pretty place.

Stay warm,kids! Lets all show up at Kathy's patio to thaw out! First one there gets the Adirondack!

~Babs

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm