Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

Idyll #255: The TGIF Idyll

michelle_zone4
18 years ago

I am almost afraid to start this Idyll. LOL

Marian, we have many meadowlarks hear. When I work in the garden I can hear their sweet song.

Eden, thanks about the BR. Kenzie has become a climber, much to her mothers exasperation. I do believe that it is payback time, since DD was a monkey climbing on everything. Your new plants are all very striking and will look great in your containers. Wish little Bella a very happy 1st birthday. IÂll bet the whole family is pumped up for the event ;o)

Marie, your kitchen is looking very good. The paint makes the cabinets look brand new.

Norma, arenÂt you lucky to have a few crocus blooming. It will be awhile before that happens here.

Martie, take care.

Deanne, bummer that Doug has to have surgery. Will he have to be off work long? The coleus are under a fluorescent light in my kitchen. I think it is warm and getting plenty of light. Now on the other hand the pelargonium cuttings are doing great.

Honey, what a wonderful picture. Your delphiniums are stunning.

Sue, that is a very cool plant. Hardy to zone 4 too. You guys are such enablers.

Have a great day

Michelle

Comments (102)

• triple_creek
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks like Princess Bellas birthday ball was well attended by her loyal subjects. Such a pretty pink ball gown. I really like the hat. Does it go with the little denim skirt? Thanks for sharing her day Eden.

I spent the day picking up and putting away a bunch of painting and staining tools and junk I had drug out. I'm not quite finished but I can't stand the mess anymore. DH is working tomorrow so I am going to really clean. I could plant garden in the dust around here. And my windows really need washed. The low sun really makes them look bad.
    DH worked on the storage bench seat today. I will have to make a cushion for the top when he is finished. I did the laundy too, because we will have to move the washer and dryer again to hang the cabinets. I am ready to be done with this project so I can start spending more time outdoors.

Marian I always wanted to grow those Anemone blandas , I think I even planted some a couple of times, but never saw anything out of them.

Babs did you really only drink water today?

Norma

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Brenda, your area is probably too cold. My anemones are spreading and I am so tickled. I would love to have A. coronaria , but am sure they would not be hardy here.

Deanne, I keep forgetting to tell you, my fuchsia expired shortly after I brought it in last fall. I don't think I will ever try one again!

Babs, sinus meds weren't cutting mine either. I recommend the saline solution. I really doused my nasal passages with it. I'm having a twinge of pain again this eve. , so need to do it again. I'm sure the wind that I worked out in today wasn't any help!

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ahh, Princess Bella's birthday party looks like loads of fun. How adorable the little peanut is with her tiara. I believe that she was the center of attention ;o)

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Eden Bella is *adorable*...I *love* her little bangs and her little button nose and those big brown eyes. Its a good thing she has self control because I bet its near impossible to say "no" to that little face! :-) She looks like a real sweetie! I hope someday I get to be a grandma. BTW Did I tell you guys my son has been dating a girl pretty steady now (about 6 months)? And he told me the other day when we were over there helping him that they are talking about getting married in another year, but dont plan to have children until they both turn 30 (their birthdays are only 1 day apart). So much change going on in my life....

Marian Im so glad you are feeling better. Its so weird how many people have sinus problems now. I have been suffering with that all winter too. Im going to try your saline suggestion cause the other day I tried Claritin and had a bad reaction...I felt like I was having a heart attack...*never* again! My sinuses were just getting cleared up finally, but working at my sons house, putting in duct work and cutting drywall with the hubby, my sinuses are a mess again today from all the dust. BTW, Im sorry to hear your camera is on the fritz. Hope you will be able to fix it. I always enjoy your pics! :-)

Deanne glad you liked the song, its always been a favorite for me too. I think the words are so beautiful and meaningful. Its the song I would have given to my little girl if I ever had one. When my son was going off to college I wrote him this heart to heart *long* (what a surprise...LOL) letter and included my song to him:

Forever Young Rod Stewart

May the good lord be with you down every road you're on
    And may sunshine and happiness, surround you when you're far from home
    And may you grow to be proud, dignified and true
    And do unto others as you'd have done to you

Be courageous and be brave
    And in my heart you'll always stay
    Forever young, forever young, forever young

May good fortune be with you, may your guiding light be strong
    Build a stairway to heaven whether your a prince or your a vagabond

And may you never love in vain
    And in my heart you will remain
    Forever young, forever young, forever young

Forever Young
    Forever Young

And when you finally fly away, I'll be hoping that I served you well
    For all the wisdom of a lifetime, no one can ever tell

But whatever road you choose
    I'm right behind you
    Win or lose
    Forever Young, Forever young, For Ever Young

Anyway, Im feeling a little Bella...Im staring at your gorgeous fuchsia and Im shaking my head "no", "no", "I shouldnt touch that!" LOL! But, if you really wouldnt mind sharing a piece, Id love to try! :-) Thanks for the encouragement Deanne, I really need to hear that right now. Well, I did go to Curves today, but didnt work out, as the instructor had too many appointments already. Instead I had my measurements and weight done. I will go back tomorrow to learn how to use the equipment. I dont know if I ever told you guys, but we dont own a scale here at home and havent for over 10 years, so I was prepared to hear the worst. The news wasnt good, but wasnt really as bad as I thought it would be (weight wise). I need to lose about 21 lbs. to get back to the weight I liked myself at best. I have also gained 4 inches in my waist (that hurt) and 3 inches in my hips and an inch in my boobs from the time when I liked my shape best. But you know the weirdest thing? She measured my fat ratio and said my fat ratio is ideal?!? How could that be possible when Im 21 lbs. and 7 inches overweight? Oh well, I dont know what that means, but Ill take whatever little positive light there is...LOL! Your salad sounded delicious Deanne and not weird at all. I make one salad that I really like a lot, its a spinach salad with toasted walnuts, dried cherries, blue cheese with a honey, oil and vinegar dressing. I like it cause I toast a bunch of walnuts at one time and then store them and I always have dried cherries and blue cheese in the house so the salad is quick and easy to make whenever I get the munchies.

Michelle, your salad sounds yummy too! Mental note I should copy all these salad recipes...I see a lot of salad in my future...LOL! BTW, Im sorry if the song brought back some sad memories for you and Im so sorry to hear about your friend. The song must have been heartbreaking to hear for her children too, but also so touching. She sounds like a wonderful, loving woman! Ive had you on my mind all day because I was thinking that when I got home from work I was going to dig up all my gardening books for children and send them to you...but when I couldn't find them I realized that I had already given them all to my girlfriend Katie. :-( Oh well, Im sure you have lots of your own ideas anyway, but its fun to look at books to help spur the imagination on. I remember my favorite book that I gave her was "Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots" by Sharon Lovejoy. Barbara Damrosch has a neat book called Theme Gardens, which isnt specifically about Childrens Gardens, but has a "Secret Garden" design in it and a Childrens Garden Design in it too. I was going to post a copy of the Children's Design, but then thought thats probably not a good thing to do. Its a lovely book though and you should see if your library has a copy or can borrow it from another library for you. I really admire Barbara Damrosch and think that book is very inspirational and thought provoking, even if some of the designs may be a little out of reach. One of the cutest gardens I saw many years ago was at Catigny Gardens out here. They made the most adorable "garden bed" and the cutest teepees, etc. Was trying to find my pictures of it but couldnt. They have a picture at their website, but it isnt the same garden bed I saw before, although this one is cute too and so is their lawn garden....Heres a link to that site:
    http://www.rrmtf.org/cantigny/newsite/childrensgarden.htm

I havent been to their gardens in awhile, but have always enjoyed the Idea Gardens. The butterfly garden at the Willowbrook Wildlife Haven is very nice too and a fun place to take the kids. Of course, I may be a little prejudice since I helped with installing the gardens (through the master gardeners many years ago) and I also did talks there on butterfly gardening. Its a neat place because they take in wild, injured animals and nurse them back to health, returning as many as they can to the wild. While the animls are healing the children can observe them and those that can not be released (due to permanent injury) are also "on view". Can you tell Im getting all pumped up about your childrens gardens? I would love to do some of those again! :-)

Heres a few pics from my old fairy garden.

{{gwi:149887}}
    {{gwi:149888}}
    {{gwi:149889}}
    {{gwi:149890}}
    {{gwi:149892}}

The garden always tickled me, but had it for many years and all my fairies started fading *and* I finally got tired of replacing all the little garden accoutrements. Would you believe a *squirrel* was stealing them all? I wouldnt have believed it myself, except I caught him running across the yard with my tiny fairy arbor in his mouth!:-O I have *no* idea why he would want those things. I won't be keeping these pics up...they were just for fun.

Babs I meant to tell you your dinner the other night sounded *scrumptious*! Did you just whip it up from your head or did you have a recipe? Now see, if you had one of these here handy dandy torches you could have seared your tuna in no time! :-) Hey, so your beautiful pic *was* a lisianthus. I thought so, but I didnt want to guess.

So how am I going to make cement balls (that doesnt sound nice, does it?)...LOL! Anyway, T I havent quiet figured that out yet. I actually was thinking something on the line of making a mold, maybe out of paper mache, although Im kinda liking Babs suggestion. In fact, Im thinking about getting a holster for my little torch and wearing it around my waist, you just never know when something like that could come in handy! ;-) So, back to the balls...what I would like to do is have the cement on the outside of a form, so I could make leaf impressions on it. I dont know, I will have to think on it some more. I do have a book "Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden" and Im going to see if there are any ideas in there that might help me. I *did* find one article on line and the link is below. Its not exactly what I want to do though, cause like I said I want the cement exposed so I can make leaf impressions on it.
    http://www.diynet.com/diy/lw_structures_walls/article/0,2029,DIY_14139_2270612,00.html

Speaking of wild animals V...be careful what you wish for! I had quite an exciting afternoon yesterday. I was looking out my back door when I noticed some activity going on near my pond, all I could see was a flurry of feathers. Then I realized it was my resident hawk (there are two in particular that hang around this neighborhood). Anyway, he was trying to make dinner out of a mourning dove. Okay, so it was just a mourning dove, but if you could have seen the fear in her eyes. I *had* to do something! I started slapping my hands together and yelling and the hawk took off into a tree a few yards away. I went back to see if the dove was still alive. To my surprise, she had somehow managed to make her way through the cage that covers my pond in winter and there she was floating at the top. No, she wasnt dead, she was floating just like a duck! :-) I dont know how she managed to get in there, but I could see that she couldnt figure out how to get out. I lifted the cage and she immediately flew out. Now I know you guys arent going to believe me, but I swear she smiled at me as she went! :-) And, I *know* the hawk was only doing what comes natural to him and as long as I dont see it, Im okay with it, but I just prefer that he do his dining outside of my view.
    :-) BTW, *Yes* I do think hawks are beautiful and I'm glad that they have made a resurgence and I dont hold anything against him, but I just cant stand by and watch another animal suffer.

Norma sounds like youve been working hard on your cabinets too! What color are you staining them and what made you decide to tackle the job? Hope there will be pictures later...LOL! I *know* I am a picture hog!

Well I've rambled on enough for tonight. Good Night All! Ei

• martieinct
    18 years ago

gggggoooodddddd ffffrriiidddggggeeddddd mmmmmmorrnnnnnning

We are in deep freeze, here. Hoping the predicted snow on Thursday materializes or the rose canes will be buried with mulch. They are confused :-(

Bella's B-day pics are so warming! The tiara is Divine!!!

Cement Balls: Get an exercise ball in the size you want the cement ball to be. Cut an opening about 8" round AWAY from a seam. Brace the ball mold so it won't roll around and make sure the opening is as close to the exact top as possible. Spray cooking spray inside the ball. Mixed the cement a little wetter than usual. Fill the ball with the mixed cement (a 16" ball takes about 60 dry pounds). Be sure to Lightly smooth out the cement as you go to get rid of air pockets. Don't worry about water buildup until the ball is full. Fill to the point where the cement reaches the edges of the round cut. Water will start to pool at this point and should be scraped off repeatedly. Dry completely (will take about 3 days -- water won't pool at the top when it's totally dry). Carefully slit the exercise ball (OH, SWEET REVENGE!!!) and peel it off the cement. You end up with a perfect ball with an 8" flat part to go on the ground and keep it steady. You don't see the flat part if you creatively plant and/or mulch around it.

Did this several years ago. Very cool to dye the cement if you want. Use the good stuff to prevent cracking. Because it's cement, you can leave it outside during the winter with some protection.

Good luck to V.'s DD! Have marked my calendar to send extra good thoughts.

I coached soccer and softball. Every few years I'd do indoor soccer as well but it can get as viscious as rugby. Started with soccer because as a little girl was told I "couldn't" play soccer because I was a girl. Hated field hockey or cheerleading so started an unofficial girl's soccer team and got some other high schools to do the same. Vowed that No Girl I Ever Layed Eyes On Would Be Told "No" if they wanted to play, so started coaching in college and haven't stopped until now. Kyle has a little baseball team of his own this Spring so I'll be vicarious through him!!!

Thinking of EVERYONE and must add that Ei's "Dance" song brought tears to my eyes for about the 1000th time.

Off to the even more frozen north but will get to stop at a teeny but awesome greenhouse at a potential new client nursery.

Martie, bundling up

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good morning all,

Well it is another chilly morning here, only 12 degrees out when we got up. It is supposed to snow later on this week again. What a hoot that we are getting this mid-winter weather at the end of the winter instead of January. The plants arent going to know what to do with themselves.

Eileen, I just love those pics of your fairy garden. There was a tiny fairy garden featured in the latest Better Homes and Gardens Garden Ideas magazine. It was made in an old bird bath that was just the cutest thing you ever saw. They also had this little old wrought iron table covered with Scotch moss that was lovely that Im thinking of giving a try. I could just see that little moss covered table in Edens garden. ~~ OK dokie, Ive got some fuchsia cuttings with your name on them. I just know you will do well with these. They really are no more work or any more difficult than coleus. Just dont overwater them. ~~ Good for you with going to Curves. I think that you are going to really notice a difference in your fitness level and how you feel in short order. Sorry about the measurements thing. That really is a bummer but you really CAN do this. If I can lose 15 inches off my waist surely you can lose four. LOL

Marian, how sad about your fuchsia. It is too bad you didnt get cuttings of it. They do root really easily. I got hooked on them after having success with cuttings. After that the only time Ive ever lost one was from giving it too much water.

V Sandhill Cranes!!!! Im so jealous. Spring is a-coming! ~~ Crossing all available appendages for your DD and her audition. Will send positive thoughts your way. I know she is going to nail it.

Babs, the Ritz cracker for breading sounds great. Ill bet that was really tasty. ~~ No coffee??? Horrors! V really impressed me when she drank my coffee black and didnt flinch, in fact came back looking for more. Now V is a real coffee person like me. She actually is only the second person who actually liked my coffee instead of tolerating it because it is the only cup in town. LOL ~~ nice lizzy pic!

HI T, what you up to these days. Did you get that bad storm that was coming into the west coast?

Mary, thanks for the heads up on Lisianthus. I think Ill just do a Babs and buy some plants. ~~ How did the Cub Scouts do with their banner?

Eden, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pictures of Bella-the-Ball. What a cutie patootie! She looks so serious in her fancy tiara. The photo with Brad is just precious. The look like they are having a serious conversation.

Cindy, love the story about the Naked Mountain winery. Too funny that they have had to deal with nudists. Ill bet they didnt think it was funny at the time. ~~ I think most Ceris and Malus would get too wide for the place I want to plant although that new Ceris Ace of Hearts would probably stay small enough. Have you seen that new cultivar Hearts of Gold? Im frothing at the mouth to find a place in the garden for that one.

Michelle, looking forward to seeing photos of your copper obelisk and birdhouse. ~~ BTW I didnt forget about that Golden Tiara hosta. I just lost my window for digging it up last fall. You are on the list of people to send things to this spring. ~~ Interesting that you dont have to file quarterlies. ~~ Thanks for the Lisianthus pic.

OK a busy day is ahead of me. I'm designing a fruit medley for the top of a box and need to get it done and written up pronto. Off to the gym with me then down to the basement.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Hi all. I hope to catch up soon. Oh PLEASE leave the pix up! I just skimmed and they're wonderful! Ive got more running to do today & tomorrow, looking at cars, etc, but hope to get back in the swing of things after that.

When we went to retrieve our belongings from our car Friday, we saw why it was not repairable. The impact (that spun DH 180 degrees) knocked the engine off its mounts, twisted the uni-body in an "S", destroyed the steering, transmission, radiator, etc. The poor car is a mess. The research, annotated photos of the intersection that I put together plus the witness statements from DHs colleagues, really helped us with our insurance co. We wont get a payoff determination until sometime this week, but we have an idea of what itll be.

Over the weekend, we found a tank DH wants to drive and we think it may be the car we buy. Its a fully-loaded 2005 Grand Marquis, with 20,000 miles on it for $15,300. While its not stylish, not "arrest me" red or a yellow hummer, it has amenities and comfort for his many miles on the road, a full-frame for survivability in a major crash and a great value for the $. And judging by the one my Mom drives, I think that model has rubber body panels. She regularly bounces off most everything -- light poles in shopping center parking lots, other cars, deer, etc. LOL. These days, were more into safety, function and value than style.

We had a busy weekend. DH was elected to the subdivision board of directors and took over the Treasurer duties. We spent Sat. straightening out the books. Yee gads, what a mess. Sunday was "talk to a friend" day. I heard from my BF since grade school (!) in Fla.; our good friends in Tampa; and another in Phoenix. It was great catching up. Im going to visit our friends in Phoenix in a couple weeks to help her with a puter program for their small business. Itll be great to sit in the sun and yak and see the sites in the area. Ive never been to Phoenix before.

The good news is, Ive lost another couple lbs. Not enough to get into my outfits as Id hoped but a step in the right direction. I do feel better w/o all the carbs and fat in my diet. Today is Paczki day (Fat Tuesday). Paczkis are jelly donuts made with 3 times the usual eggs, then are deep fried, filled with jelly or cream and then glazed with sugar. I told DH, DO NOT bring any home. Hes the designated buyer for his office. Even the shooters reserved some.

Yesterday, I sent my carb-addicted DH to work with the case of Girl Scout cookies he bot that were delivered Sunday. I had to get them out of the house! He bot some of my favs, too: Shortbread and Mint.

Have to shower and get to my haircut appt. and then to check out another car. TTYL.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Happy Fat Tuesday! Our office of 10 people has taken this to a new high (low?). We have two dozen donuts, a half-dozen bismarks, and a dozen big-as-your-face paczkis (Polish donuts pronounced punch-key) sitting in the kitchen right now. And the girl scout cookies are being delivered...

If you don't hear from me for a couple of days, I'll be busy getting my arteries roto-rootered.

V.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Too funny - Honey is dodging paczkis and GS cookies!

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

I'll be chuckling all day as I picture squirrels dashing around Ei's yard dragging fairy garden infrastructure..lol. Despite their annoying ways they are very smart little critters. I had to have Tom devise some sort of wire lock on one of my caged tube bird feeders this winter because the squirrels were yanking the top off and going down into the tube. Rats. My dogs love to chase them. They know the dogs are around and are very wary when they come into the fenced part of the yard, always keeping one eye on the door from the patio.

So Bella enjoyed her first BD I see. Pictures with all the key family members...except Grandma, where was she? How cute in the little dress and tiara.

The flu is sweeping through the office. All the VPs are out at a strategic planning meeting for two days. Yesterday the executive secretary sent an e-mail that said they were all sick and cough drops were being passed around the conference table like candy. I hate to say it but my nose feels a little itchy and my eyes a little hot. Usually I get sick after vacation and I'm not overjoyed at the prospect of being sick before or during.

Martie, those cement balls sound like a great idea. I see that stuff for sale in garden centers but the price usually keeps me away. I've always wanted to make hypertufa troughs too but just never seem to find the time.

Yes, it's been very cold here now for 3 days but who cares because tomorrow is March 1st. Goodbye winter. Any snow we get from now on won't last and average temps are rising fast. Within 3 weeks I'll probably have Iris reticulata blooming. Time to start planning the woody plant moves. Yahoo!

Sue

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

LOL on the paczkis. I'm from the Boston area where everyone is Irish or Italian so had never heard of these before moving to CT. Here in the city where I work there is a very active Polish community. Yesterday one of the ladies in our department who is from Poland came around taking orders. I have to admit they are just like jelly donuts to me and I don't care for jelly donuts at all. I think I hurt her feelings when I said I'd pass...lol. Now the cream puffs that come in for St Joseph's day...ooh-la-la.

Sue

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Hi Martie!

Thanks for the great instructions on how to make cement balls! I like the idea of painting them too...very cool! Do you have any ideas how I could make leaf imprints and/or other designs on the *outside* of the ball?

I wish every little girl could have you as her coach...I *like* that you want to make sure every girl gets a chance to play. Have to admit I was never much for sports as a kid and I think a lot of it had to do with exactly what you described. I wasn't a natural athlete and never had the chance to actually learn *how*. So, of course by the time I was in highschool, I was just terrified to play. I mean the ones who were really into it would just nail you to the floor if you made a mistake. Hmm...funny how I block bad things out of my mind...I had forgotten all about those experiences.

Good Morning Deanne! :-) It must just blow you away when you think how far you've come! That's amazing and a real inspiration too! You should be so proud...and what I admire most, is that you keep on doing it! I don't know if I will reach my goal, but I will give it the old college try. I've promised myself that I will stick out the year that I've committed to and really try my best. Thanks about the fairy garden...well it was very fun. I agree about Eden. She really has the most magical gardens *and* home. Thinking of what a wonderland it must be for Bella when coming to visit grandma! :-) I would think it's like when I was a kid and got to visit the Marshall Field's window displays at Christmas time. For Bella, that kind of magic happens every time she visits grandma! :-)

Oh one more thing....does anybody have any ideas how I could get a hold of a huge, real leaf right now? I want to make a large bird bath and paint it with red colors to place in one area of my garden, but I don't want to wait until the gardening season to do it...I want to *see* it *in* the garden by spring...LOL! I'm so impatient.

Well, I've gotta go, need to be at Curves in 15 minutes. Have a great day all! Ei

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

I believe this should be called the "cruel thread" -- dieting, Curves and girl scout cookies and packzis - all in the same "mouthfull".... never heard of these "punchkeys" either - but for a dieter they sound wonderful!!!

Love the Bella Birthday pics - I thought she looked older than one too - altho she appeared to have that same bemused look on her face that I recall on my DD... they're not sure what's happening but it seems to be a good thing...LOL.

Yep, I am chuckling about the visions of fairy infrastructures and a fairy village being rebuilt to squirrel specifications. It reminded me of a local newstory I heard about a woman who had reported her garden ornaments (I believe they were gnome statues) all disappearing week after week - finally called the cops who staked out the place - they saw a golden retreiver one day walk up to the front door area & cart off the standing gnome! they followed him to his "stash" -- for some reason he'd taken them all off & was burying them in his own backyard!!! (dont know if he didnt like them or he liked them too much?) The lady said she was just relieved to have her ornaments back.....

Deanne - you enabler - Im going to have to check those cercis you mention out - not sure I've seen them. There are a couple of malus that are a bit more upright and dwarf (Louisa or Tina? come to mind) but I too had the issue of most of them being too wide.... which is why I never found a good prunus to plant either.

Martie - you sound like yourself again - that was a wicked flu you had, wasnt it? Sue, I hope you dont "catch" it - I had a wicked one last year -- so far this year, crossing my fingers.....

Marian - you should try the anemone coronaria - I too did not think they'd be hardy in my area but bought some on a whim & they surprised me by coming up last year! I planted some of the blue ones this past fall and have seen their foliage already (not the blandas, yet, though) - very strange.... I am hoping I really get to see the blue ones bloom.... We get temps of 0 degrees here sporadically -- but this winter not for long periods - maybe that's the difference -- but if so, the coronaria should make it (& I hope to see the ones from last year - assuming squirrels & varmints didnt get).

Better get to work & try not to think of those yummy carbs to be tempted by.

--Cindy

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Ei, you either need to sneak into a conservatory or find someone with great houseplants. Seriously, how big a leaf do you need? I've got some good sized ones on my split leaf philodendron, and if that would work for your bird bath it would never miss a leaf. Or you could go to a garden center with large tropicals and see if they might give you a large leaf from something, perhaps one that's spotted or browning - it wouldn't affect your project and it would help their plant!

V.

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We are supposed to have another beautiful day with a high of 57¢ª. It is supposed to get a little colder with some rain or snow by the weekend. Go figure.

Martie, the cement balls sound very interesting to make. Just what I need is to add another project to my list of the many that I would like to try.

We started to put the copper obelisk together last night. I accidentally put one of the remnant pieces in with the leg pieces. So now one leg is 11¡± and one is 10¡±. I quit for the night. LOL

Ei, you are such a softie ;o) I¡¯m sure the morning dove did smile. I know what you mean, when our dog gets a rabbit, I¡¯d just as soon not witness it. I realize she is just trying to protect my garden;o) I don¡¯t know what your torch is like, but I have a propane torch that I use a lot. Last night I was using it to melt the solder on the copper that I am working on. Your fairy garden was so sweet. The little arbor is just precious. I¡¯ll bet it was fun. Obviously, the squirrel liked it too. I am compiling ideas for Kenzie¡¯s own little garden. Thanks for the link and the book suggestions, I¡¯ll have to check them out.

Cindy, what a cute story about the golden retriever and the gnomes. I guess he was retrieving. One time my DH was working on a tractor by our machine shed and had a bunch of tools scattered around. Pretty soon he realized that several were missing. Our dog had taken one at a time when DH was preoccupied and stashed them around the corner of the shed. I thought that was so amusing.

Michelle

Why is my punctuation showing so weird???

• hollyhock2006
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!

We got 2 1/2 inches of rain last night! Possibly more later this week. If we can get a couple more rains like that through March we'll be doing OK. Not great, but OK. Last year we missed breaking the 100 year record for the most rainfall by 1 or 2 inches. Last year was what they call an "El Nino." This year is what they call a "La Nina." All the storms are staying from Nor Cal up to the PNW. Anyway we are just glad to be getting some rain.

Ei, I completely agree with you about the Hawk. DH and I were sitting outside enjoying a beautiful Sunday afternoon, watching the birds at the feeder. There are a row of Arborvitae along our back wall that have been limbed up. The birds use this for shelter while feeding. Suddenly they all flew for cover and from, seemingly out of nowhere, a Hawk dove straight down and then up into the Arborvitae. I was just about to beg DH to "do something" when the Hawk reappeared "empty handed." DH told me that was the second time he had seen that happen. Once last summer I saw a Hawk snatch a baby bird right off the ground. It was so disturbing, I felt as if I had just witnessed a murder. DH reminds me that it is all a part of nature and we have done our part by providing shelter and a source of water. Like you, I just wish they would do their hunting somewhere else.

On to more pleasant things...

Mary, I am so glad you and your family had such a nice time in Hawaii. I can "hear" the relaxation in your voice. It makes me want to go back. So sorry about your car.

Marian, Glad you're feeling better. Love the pic of your Orchids.

Deanne, Love your pics of the Orchids too. Your salad sounds wonderful. I like to add snow peas, walnuts and a touch of cranberry vinaigrette.

I am not much on houseplants either. I have a Pothos, Ficus (benjamina or microcarpa, not sure) and a Sansevieria. I have killed three Orchids.

Eden, Bellas birthday pics are so cute. I bet those sweet cheeks get lots of kisses. Like Martie, I look forward to being a grandmother, but until then I will live vicariously through others.

Cindy, Loved your winery story. It sounds like to you havd a fun time.

Honey, so sorry about your car and insurance woes. Too bad the wrong person had to hit him. Sure puts you between a rock and a hard place.

Well, I have spent too long here and have a million things to do. Check back with you all later.

Grace

• taryn
    18 years ago

Is everyone sleeping off their paczkis? LOL!

CinderBella was beautiful at her 1st annual birthday ball! LOL, Norma, "well-attended by her loyal subjects".

Been reading along, enjoying the conversation and pics, orchids & flower show were lovely. Ei, your faeries are precious too, remind me of EP though--miss her...

Re juicers, before I forget to respond, I'm no expert, but what I bought is this Hamilton-Beach for about $25.00. You can read reviews here:

http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Hamilton_Beach_Healthsmart_67811

My personal opinion on it? It makes great juice, but it's a beach to clean! :)

That's all I can manage now, very tired. Waving hello to all!

Taryn

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

Hi everyone, interesting reading today. Seems everyone is perking up a bit with spring looming just around the corner. I took a break this afternoon from my cleaning to take a walk. It not only seemed like spring it was almost like summer. Crazy weather. I was wearing a short sleeve tshirt and was really to warm. I opened several windows to get fresh air into the house and had them open for several hours. There is a moth fluttering at the window now, and there was a bee buzzing the crocus today. Plus I went to put a little food in the pond because the fish have been active and the frogs are out an about too. I was walking around the yard checking out all the crocus and realized my iris reticula are blooming too. No daffs yet but soon I think.
    We may get some rain by tomorrow evening. DH was saying he didn't need any rain because of the job he is working on, but it is very dry around here for this time of year. We have had very little rain or snowfall this winter. I don't think there are as many buds on the dogwoods this year as usual.
    I'm off to bed now , want to get back at it early tomorrow. I still need to clean the basement and I have paperwork to do first. Probably by the time I whip the house into shape so I can work outside it will turn wintery again. Normally I would ditch the house and go out anyway,but it needed cleaned bad.
    G nite all. Norma
    {{gwi:149893}}

• martieinct
    18 years ago

HAPPY MARCH 1!!!! (Double checked the calender LOL)

Thanks for the pepper seeds, Eden! DS's GF (the keeper) was here when I got home last night so we shared and she sends her thanks as well.

Also heard from Woody about the Angel Rose seeds (nothing sprouting, yet but started them late on purpose) and she sounds good.

I do feel back to "myself" but an improved version. Feel kind of like I'm going through a weight losing process but it's not physical poundage. Wean myself a little at a time ..... The Paczki in our office yesterday were from Sue's work's Massachusetts sister city and I wish Fat Tuesday happened more than once a year. Admit I ate a whole one for lunch (these things are about 9" around) and think my sugar quota for the month is done. OOPS!!! It's a new month :-)

LOL about missing garden articles and the critters who horde them. Having never dealt with a squirrel population before this house, will certainly keep it in mind. Our fairy garden is in the planning stages and Kelly will be here in a few weeks to start bones construction. Have a bunch of plants ready to go and Can't Wait after too many years of Fairy Garden absence.

Glad you found a car, Honey!! Does sound like a tank AND a very good deal.

Marian: Keep up the salt water! It was the ONLY thing that enabled breathing last week. The commercial nasal sprays don't do a thing for me and make me feel like my face is on fire. But Please Don't "Drown!!" That is NOT better than a clear nose :-)

Ei: I've seen the project you're going to do and it is a Lust-After!! Being in frozen solid Connecticut, can't do much to help you with a leaf but second (or third) the idea of asking a nursery for a brown out.

Don't know how one would add leaf impressions to the outside of the cement ball short of gluing a thick plastic form to the inside but would be leary ...

Norma: Thanks for the crocus pic!! There is hope!!

Taryn: Wave back at you! Was thinking of your three boys the other day when one of the neighborhood kids came to ask DS if he wanted to play something because they were "desparate and need two more people." He felt fortunate that he had to go to work but wish I could've morphed your boys over. They sound like my kind of kids! With Annie and David and assorted others it would be quite a crew. Just found myself smiling at the thought of all Idyll kids in one place .....

Sunny but cold here. Will be inside most of the day and am actually glad. But hey!!! It's March 1!!!!

Martie

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Good Morning and Happy March! I'm eating marshmallow peeps in celebration as I type this. I also had a lemon paczki yesterday (and a Cadbury Egg). Thanks for all of the birthday wishes for Bella and the cute, cute cards. You guys are the best. I had more fun getting ready for and celebrating her birthday than I do at Christmas. You guys have me looking at childrens gardening books and fairy websites too. There are lots of cute ideas out there for making children feel a part of the garden.

Norma, thanks for the crocus picture. It was the perfect picture for starting the day. I'm going to be working on my basement today too.

Deanne, I looked up the cersis Hearts of Gold and I sure wish I had a place for one.

Ei, they made hypertufa garden spheres on Victory Garden last weekend and I'd like to try some too. The just made balls from the leftovers from their trough project but I found a website that has some instructions. I'll post the link at the bottom. I loved your fairy garden pictures. I used to have a little tea set on a rock in my garden and the squirrels were forever stealing the pieces. I'd find them all over the garden. Thanks for the nice things you said about my house and garden too. You're so sweet and it's so great to have you back posting.

Babs, good call on Bella and her teeth. She wasn't feeling the greatest on her birthday. Her bottom molars are almost through and she's been fighting a cold because of the teeth I think. So she was in kind of a Dimatapp induced haze.

Oh, I meant to tell you all that yesterday Brad set up my weather station that I got for Christmas. So now I'll be able to tell if it's raining or not, lol. There's lots more I wanted to comment on but I've run out of time for this morning. Hope you all have a great day.

TTYL, Eden

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Oh! Cadbury eggs... Eden, you had to go and remind me!

I had a real treat yesterday. DD called me in late afternoon to ask if her choral ensemble could rehearse at the house. Contest is on Saturday and all available space at the school was taken. Wow, did these kids sound great! In the middle of the rehearsal the phone rang, and it was the high school principal. All of a sudden, I was worried that I had done something wrong by having the kids come to the house! Isn't it funny how some authority figures can still inspire fear in you, no matter how old you are (or how young they are)? No worries, he was just calling to recruit help in canvassing for the school referendum. Unfortunately, he needed the help the same day as the contest, but my excuse had a very audible backup!

Musical question for the idylls: Does anyone know Darden Smith? I have a chance to see him perform in a very small venue, but I'm not familiar with him. Looking for any recommendations anyone has. (I know, if it was Clematis 'Darden Smith' you guys would be all over it...)

Welcome to March! The start of meteorlogical spring, the beginning of Cadbury egg season, the month my son turns 21 (how did he get so old?) and the vernal equinox. The growing season is almost here (Exception for Grace in Southern Cal!) And the last month of short hours at work. : (

Speaking of work - TTYL!

V.

ps to Eden - if you haven't seen the children's garden at MSU, I highly recommned it. It would be a great day trip with Bella this summer!

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

V, I was just looking at the MSU children's garden website and telling Brad we'll have to take Bella and then I check in here and you mention it. I see the Chicago Botanical Gardens have a children's garden too. Maybe Michelle and I can check it out if we go there during Idyllunion.

Eden

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

oh poop so much to comment on but I'll have to come by later. Just HAD to say WAAAAaaaaah I didn't get to see your pics Ei: (

AND

Yaaaay! now I know what to do with my exercise ball when I get mad at it: ) thanks Martie lolol.

B-back-L8TR

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

March came in like a lamb for NW Iowa.

I love Cadbury eggs.

I took at quick peek at the MSU site and it is cute. I'm sure it would be fun to see in person. Eden, that sounds like fun to check out the childrens garden in Chicago. I think I will have to start a separate folder in My Pictures to put all the Children's garden ideas.

V, LOL that you are still afraid of the principal.

Quiet here today.

Later
    Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Where are my March lambs? Today it stuggled to get above freezing for the 4th day in a row. Our average high right now should be in the low 40s. Tomorrow...4-6 inches of the white stuff in the form of a "wintry mix". Yuck.

People are dropping like flies around here with the flu. My boss left early to go beg some antibiotics from the doctor. He leaves Saturday for a week in Disney and is not a happy camper about being sick. We also have two others out sick in the department and lots of coughing and sneezing all around. Tomorrow I may come in wearing a surgical mask.

Norma, you dog you...lol...crocuses coming up already. Hopefully when I get back from Utah something will be in bloom.

BTW, you Cercis afficionados, I have 'Silver Cloud'. It's a great little tree for significant shade. I planted it in a fairly tight spot and plan to keep the canopy pruned up. I also have 'Forest Pansy' which is growing much faster. The foliage is great but mine has never bloomed. Neither of my Cercis have ever bloomed. Maybe this year.

OK, I'm heading home for a date with the treadmill and a Pilates DVD. My goal is to either sweat out the germs or keep moving so they don't catch me.

Sue

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

V-- I confess I'd probably feel the same way about the Principal if he were to call.... we were programmed too well!

Sue -- that makes me feel better about the 2 cercis you have, both of which I really wanted - but no room and too much sun -- cant believe you havent gotten any bloom from! good thing they've got great foliage, uh? I sure hope you fend off the bugs from your ofc - you're too close to your vacation to succumb, Sue.

There's no March lamb here either -- that "60s" day got cancelled.... cold to hang in and on....

I started to get lost on that garden site you posted, Eden - how clever - it answered a lot of paint questions I had about resin,fiberglass, etc. -- garden things I hate the color of but love the shape of... I started feeling that "craft-ie itch" and twitch after I read some of the ideas -- too bad we couldn't have a little "lunch bunch" get-together for us all to do these garden crafts on our lunch hours! LOL....

I have a couple of questions for you seed sowers - but have to get my q's put to paper so I can inquire of you experts... Im going to attempt a few inside for the little room I've got to plop in sunny window -- but not sure it's not a bit too early. I'll check back in when I get my questions assembled.

I hope no one else falls ill -- it's too close to official winter being over -- Get those Germs Gone!!

--Cindy

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Sorry about the frigid temps in the Northeast. Our high yesterday was 77 and today's was 79. It is dropping back to more seasonal temps now. Tomorrow may be only around 50. I worked out in the yard a bunch yesterday and today. I almost got too hot ! Many of my beds sure look a lot better. I have early dafs blooming, and the cornelian cherry is opening it's blooms.

Cindy, thanks for the heads-up on the anemone coronaria. I will watch for bulbs this fall. My anemone blanda is slow this year. I hope the drought didn't damage them. I won't be surprised to find that quite a few plants have been damaged or killed.
    It has been several years since we have had 0 or below, but it is certainly possible. One January, before we moved up on this hill, we had a minus 22F !

I am not having a successful time keeping up with everyone's posts. I am reading everything, and enjoying the pics and hearing of the events in everyone's lives, but just not up to commenting. Hopefully I will perk up now that I am getting back into the outside jobs.

I went to town yesterday...first to the class, then I went to the school of cosmotology and got my hair cut. I noticed that the name of the girl doing the cutting is Jordan. I mentioned that I have a friend named London, that just had her first baby. I was surprised to find that they are friends... Jordan and London.
    That poor gal worked and worked to get some shape into my straight hair. It was a hopeless case !

Oh, I remember the pics of Eileen's fairy gardens. Very cute, and pretty. ( All of your gardens are lovely, Ei ).

Marian

• hollyhock2006
    18 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Just a few quick comments.

V- Funny story about the principal. Wishing your daughter good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking about her. My daughter turns 21 next month. I can't quite figure out how she got to be this old so fast.

Re: Darden Smith, I thought he was on a Starbucks compilation CD that I have, but no such luck. After thinking about it I think I remember he was on Austin City Limits several years ago. Unfortunately, my memory is not what it used to be and I can't recall his music. I think it might have something to do with parenting a srongwilled child to 21. Anyway, if it was me, I would go see him.

Martie, so glad you are back and feeling better!

Sue, Hope you are able to stay well at least until after your vacation. Hope the weather warms up for the NE.

That's all I have time for right now.

Grace

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Evening all,

Well, what a bummer with the cold temps. Jan was so far above the average normal temps and now it is looking as if March is going to be well below the normal average temps. I was so ready and more than ready to have some days in the 40s, not 20s. Oh well, just need to deal. Spring WILL come at some point. Im trying to paint and am having limited success with getting myself to sit down at the painting table. In the last couple days Ive only been able to get about three or four hours in but at least that is better than nothing.

I sure wish you could guys could see the fuchsias right now. They are so darned cheerful I can hardly deal with it. I took the standard Beacon Rosa out of cold storage a few weeks ago and it is so cute. Just a few leaves starting at the top with about ten flowers hanging down. I think the trunk on this is going to really beef up this year. Id really like to make a couple more fuchsia standards but how many can one garden use? LOL

I checked all the tubers in cold storage today also and most of them are looking really good but the peat was dusty, dusty, bone dry so I spritzed all the peat.

Honey, have you checked you dahlias lately? My Ottos Thrill, Le Baron and Rosella are all looking great so Im a happy camper. Oh yes, all the Fascination and Bellini are in good shape too. Some of them are actually making some nice looking roots too. Im going to have to get busy in another month or so and start potting some of these up. Help! Im totally out of light space and I havent even started taking the extra coleus cuttings I want to pot up. ~~~ Congratulations on the additional weight loss! Im so jealous.

Eileen, I wish you could see the Kiwi Fern and Tilt-a-Whirl. They are so beautiful! Im so in trouble because I saw about five to eight more coleus that I dont think I can live without and there just is no more room here. Im totally outta control! LOL

Sue, where is your C. Silver Cloud. For some reason I cant place that in your garden. ~~~ Stay well!

Eden, great link! I spent some time checking it out and really would love to make some of those cement garden ornaments especially the leaves. Did you see the huge gunnera one? Gorgeous!

V. too funny about the principal. I know if I ever ran into Sister Superior Mary Rose Id run like h e - -! LOL How neat you were able to have a preview of the choral group. -- I thought of you this morning as I was sipping my coffee. Sure wish we had a transporter beam so we could have coffee together in the mornings! ~~ BTW Cadbury eggs are evil!

Norma, cant believe you have crocus in bloom! What a treat to see your pic!

Grace thanks for the additional input for creative ingredients for my salads. I dont know why Ive not thought of snow peas but that would be great.

Eileen, so how did Curves go today? ~~ RE the keeping on doing it. Ive just resigned myself to the fact that this is the way I HAVE to live for the rest of my life. After I accepted that fact it has just become habit.

OK all, have a great evening, Ive got to finish this up check my email then get ready for bed.

Nite all
    Deanne

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Hi guys, bright and going to be sunny for a while I guess. It is 21 degrees out at the moment so it didn't get as cold as the forecasters were saying. I woke up at 5:00AM and decided to haul myself up by 5:30AM. Woohoo!!!! Love this light in the morning. Cold or not, the days are significantly longer and spring can't be too far off.

Rahjii says Good Morning to you too! Have a great day.

{{gwi:149895}}

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

What a beautiful good morning! Rhajii, that is, and not our weather. It's a tad gray this morning, but that's okay. We're off in about 45 minutes. Everyone have a good day!

V.

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Good Morning to you too Rahjii!

I woke up with a sore throat this morning and outside everything is under a glaze of ice. I hope things start to improve. I got alot of work done in the basement yesterday. I still have more to do but it will have to wait until Sunday or Monday when Bella's not here. Today I will be vacuuming and maybe putting out a few Spring/Easter decorations.

Deanne, your light garden sounds so pretty. I've made a list of coleus to order from Rosy Dawn and I must pare it down. That's hard to do though isn't it? I got my Brent and Becky's catalog a few days ago too and see a few things from there that I want. And so it goes.

So Sue, are you still dodging the bug? When do you leave for vacation?

V, I'll be thinking good thoughts for your dd today.

Wow Marian, wish we were having those temps here. That's great that you were able to get out and do some gardening. Lucky you! I'm very jealous.

Marie, is that kitchen finished yet?

Time for coffee. Have a good day everyone.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We had a lamb day yesterday until evening when the temps dropped and the wind picked up. This a.m. there is a terrific wind again. We hit 57 yesterday ~ I believe the high today will be 37 and the next 7 days are supposed to at or above our average high of 37.

I feel like I could reach out and pet Rahjii. Now that is an eye to eye picture :o)

My copper project is coming along fairly well. I am used to soldering on my stained glass projects, but this pipe soldering is way different. It is going together quicker than I thought it would. I also took more pelargonium cuttings last night.

Deanne, how cold is your "cold storage"? Your Kiwi fern is looking good huh? Mine is very sick looking. Several of the cuttings have rooted though, so there is hope. My 2 light isnt nearly big enough anymore. I told Rick that we need to get something going in the basement.
    We add snow peas to salads in the summer since I always grow them. In the winter I dont see them much at the store.

Marian, it sounds like spring has arrived at your house. Lucky you.

Norma, thanks for sharing the lovely springy picture of your crocuses and lambs ear.

Sue, LOL a surgical mask. I actually have a pump bottle of antibacterial gel on my desk. I figure it cant hurt to keep the germs at bay. I hope you dont get sick for your vacation. You deserve a more enjoyable one this year.

Eden, I did a little spring decorating a couple of weeks ago. It does bring some hope. I hope that your sore throat doesnt develop into anything more.

Have a great day
    Michelle

• taryn
    18 years ago

Quickie in between seed counting.

Everyone take a moment and send group good vibes to DD of V!

Hi Rahjii! You gorgeouse hunk of feline you!

Okay, back to it...

Taryn

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Good morning/afternoon Rahjii!

Good luck V and DD!

Accolades, greetings and good wishes to anyone else who needs them.

The snow has moved in. So far it's coming down lightly and hasn't even amounted to an inch but is apparently sticking and freezing on the road and making driving a chore. My plan was to go out to Panera and grab some soup for lunch but maybe I'll wait a bit longer.

Deanne, here is the garden with the Cercis 'Silver Cloud'. It's the whitish, airy little plant to the right of the weeping maple. This part of the garden gets afternoon sun for a couple of hours. The first year the leaves burnt a bit but I didn't notice that last year-probably because it was more established.

{{gwi:149897}}

No mask for me today and I feel better. I've been washing my hands frequently. Every morning I take a variety of vitamins with OJ and for weeks now I've been eating an fresh orange as part of my lunch. Usually flying makes me sick so even if I dodge the germs around here for the next week I still have that hurdle to clear. Speaking of flying I guess it won't be long til we'll be making reservations for the idyllunion.

OK, best I get productive before the day is over.

Later,

Sue

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Wish I could look that good in the morning! Hi Rahjii and all the other Idylls!

Okay, day 4 and Ive gone to Curves every day! :-) Well, if quivering thighs every time you go to sit down and having a stomach that feels like it was used for a punching bag means youre doing well...then Im doing great! LOL! Seriously, I do ache all over and actually contemplated not going today, but then I thought of you Deanne! :-) Now Deanne, you can never give up or who will I look to to keep me movtivated? Seriously, I really do admire your stick-to-it-ness, its a real inspiration to me. Found out from the instructor that part of the problem with my "aching" is that Im not doing enough stretching afterwards. Today I took my time with that and really dont feel too bad. Actually, I feel pretty good right now, I just have to keep with it. I imagine in the beginning there will be a lot of days when Ill have to just "talk myself into it"? Re the Coleus, mine seem to be doing pretty good too. I have this one coleus plant from last year, Christmas Candy that I need 11 cuttings from! The poor thing...Ive been propagating the heck out of it; using even the tiniest little bits to make new cuttings. And believe it or not its actually doing it! What a trooper! I mean look at these tiny little *baby* cuttings:

{{gwi:149898}}And theyre making roots!

{{gwi:149899}}

Heres the poor mama, shes nearly naked...poor thing!

I have about 6 cuttings in that glass of water and I will be potting them up on the week-end and growing them on in the basement. Then Im going to have to take about 4 more cuttings off mom (Shhh...dont tell her...LOL)!

Eden thanks for the great link. What a neat site! I really love the idea of using a deflatable ball that you can use over and over again. I didnt even know they made such a thing. Thats a wonderful website...how did you find it? Its now added to my "favorites".

Taryn thanks for the link! How long have you had your juicer and do you use it a lot?

Honey glad you were able to find a car you like. My car is about 9 years old now and I really should start looking for a new one, but hate the thought of car payments. I had a Marquis for many years and you are right...they are *very* comfortable...great for road trips. Congrats on the weight loss! Hopefully in a few weeks Ill have something good to report. I wont get weighed again at Curves until next month, so well see...

Michelle, I dont know why your punctuation went weird, but that has happened to me before too. I think it has something to do with typing in word and then copying to the website? Anyway, thats what use to happen to me, but I dont seem to have that problem anymore.

V you are so kind! Thanks for the offer! :-) But, I think I need something kind of round...my rhubarb would have been perfect or my giant Sum & Substance. Think Ill take a little cruise over to the Home Depot and see what houseplants they are growing...LOL! Ive heard of Paczkis, but never had one! :-O They sound delicious. Italians have St. Josephs Pastries, but to be honest, I really dont like them...hope Dads not listening. What I do love though is my moms homemade Eclairs and Cannolis...now *thats* living! Umm...you know what Im dying to try, after I lose 21 lbs.? :-) I want to try to make my own Bignets. They were talking about them on the news yesterday (cause of Mardi Gras) and thats *all* I can think about...LOL!

Sue sure hope you stay clear of that flu...this has been a nasty winter, illness wise.

Speaking of which, Marian, thanks again for the saline idea. I used an old nasal spray bottle that I have. It has a twist off cap, so I put water and salt in it and have been spraying once in the a.m. and once at night and it is working *wonderfully*. Ive also been taking Motrin for the headaches and trying to stay clear of the sinus meds. I think I was becoming too dependent on them. I cant believe you are having 70s! Wasnt it just last week you were snow bound? :-) Today it is gloomy here and of course, I dont have to work. It was beautiful here yesterday, wish I could have spent some time outdoors.

LOL Cindy...our minds were working the same, especially after Eden said a squirrel stole her miniature tea set. I kept on having these visions of squirrels up in their nest, all dressed in proper attire and having high tea...LOL! I bet Sues "Florida Squirrel" was there too! :-)

Marian and Norma...Ive always lusted over the spring anemone varieties, but they arent hardy here. One time I did have a small patch of the blandas return, but eventually they disappeared. Another spring bulb that makes my heart go pitter patter is the Tecelote (? sp.?) Ranunculus. Heres a link to a pic of them:

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=39

I saw them first at the "Monets Garden" display at the Chicago Flower and Garden Show many years ago and fell instantly in love...oh the colors and the flower form...they make me swoon! I would *love* to have them, but dont see myself digging them up, storing them and then restarting them every year since they arent hardy here. Are they hardy by you Marian?

BTW Norma...thanks for that taste of spring! It was very cheery to see that this a.m. The only thing that has sprung here so far has been my snowdrops, but I keep checking every day! :-) Sounds like you had a pleasant, relaxing walk about the garden I love days like that!

Sending good vibes to Vs DD...

Well, Im off to start some perennial seeds, some of Marys Pink Petticoats (thanks again Mary!) and some lupines and purple parancandas...so I best be off. TTYL! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

OMIGOSH Sue...your garden is gorgeous! I just saw it when I was checking my post. What a fabulous picture...it honestly looks like something out of a garden design book or a public garden..Fantastic!

Okay, now I really have to go! Bye...

• just_t
    18 years ago

I just heard about this gentleman and watched the video. It is amazing and I'm going to go back to watch it again. In order to watch it, I had to click on the word 'Watch' below his picture and also had to tell my anti-virus to allow pop-ups on the site. I hope you can watch the video...it is fun and amazing. Turn your sound up also as it is set to music.

T.

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

Good afternoon

Still thinking of V's DD - what time was the audition?

Beautiful pics Sue and Deanne. Rhadji is the most beautiful of felines and Sue's garden as lovely as I remember it.

Ei - congratulations on your 4 days at Curves! Good for you for sticking with the program. Your little cuttings look great.

Sue - my hands were raw washing them the week before we left for Hawaii, but it seemed to work! I also bought some Zicam just in case. I must have missed where you are going to on your vacation.

I can't stay long as DH and I are taking the Honda in to the body shop for repairs after its encounter with David's basketball hoop. Insurance will cover the damage, but writing a check for the deductable is a drag. It would ahve made a very healthy plant budget :0(

Good news is that my Hawaiian Orchid has 3 new blooms. Less pleasurable is a double whammy tomorrow with Mammogram and Bone Density scan. The bone density is the easiest procedure, you don't even have to take your clothes off. I just dread the results as years of undiagnosed Celiac disease have left me with rather weak bones. Oh well, better to understand your body than bury your head in the sand. With that I'm off to chug-a-lug a glass of milk.

Mary

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Afternoon all, Rahjii said to thank you for the admiration then he said, "But what else could they have done after seeing my magnificent self?" Jeesh, I told him that message was a bit over the top but he insisted after the FedEx guy made quite the fuss over him yesterday. He thinks hes a movie star or something.

So first order of business is to send Vs DD the best of luck and lots and lots of good vibes.

Eden, bummer about the sore throat. I hope it doesnt turn into a nasty cold and is just a fleeting thing. Now I need to ask you what coleus varieties you are getting so I can look them up and see if I need to get them too. LOL Also, what do they have at Brent and Beckys that you cant live without? Inquiring minds would like to know. ~~ I also wanted to ask you how soon do you start your caladium corms? I just bought a box of mixed corms from Sams (box of 60 was $14.00!) I know they are a bit on the small side but considering the amount of $$ I spent on them last year I thought Id give this a try. Now I definitely NEED another light cart. Poor Doug. He was complaining about the electric bill the other night and I just cringed.

Michelle, Im looking forward to seeing the finished copper piece. ~~ My cold storage basement area usually is around 52 degrees or so but would be better if it were around 45 which would be ideal for the fuchsia. The 52 degree temps dont quite keep them dormant. ~~ So you now need to upgrade the 2 light to a four footer? Then it will be a shelf with four, four footers. And so it goes! LOL

Taryn, seed counting? Id be crazed.

Sue, thanks muchly for the pic. Man oh man your garden is so beautiful! Is that Iris pallida variegata that I can see peeking behind the acer? That Ceris is simply lovely. I need to find room for a couple. Id actually like to plant them on the backside of the hill. You know that slope to the right of the shed? I think theyd do well there if I can ever get a hole dug out in that horribly rocky slope. ~~ So glad to hear you are feeling better. Ive found that dosing myself with vitamin C and E and never, ever touching my face when traveling has kept me from coming down with anything. I also think that being more aerobically fit helps your immune system fight these things off too.

Eileen, what a neat coleus! And look at all those lovely roots on those babies. Mama plant has been pretty generous. ~~ It is perfectly normal to be sore when starting any sort of new strength training routine. You really do need to take time off from specific exercises until the soreness goes away. I normally rotate upper body strength training and lower body strength training and do my abs ever other day. Then I also do 45 minutes of cardio work every day but switch out the machines I use so I alternate the Stairmaster and the Cybex and sometimes throw in the elliptical machine too. No worries about my giving up. I like being fit too much.

T, Hi there, Ill have to check out your link later as Im now out of time on my coffee break.

Mary, Ugh! Mammogram. Ive been bad and havent been for a couple years and really need to go and have one done. I hope your bone density comes out OK. One of the very few advantages of having been hugely obese most of my life is that I have extremely strong, dense bones. I began serious strength training at the time I began losing the weight so Ive not lost any density so far.

OK time to get back to work here.

TTYL
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Eileen, I can't seem to find the hardiness of those Ranunculus. :-( I have never seen them except in pictures.
    Yes, teeter totter weather is normal here. It will be mid April before it settles down. Extreme temperature changes happen frequently. I think it is because of our location between the north and the south.
    I'm so happy that the salt solution has been so helpful to you. I am still having constant stuffiness and pain. I suppose the chronic rhinitis that I was diagnosed with years ago is part of it.
    Your coleus propagation is sure looking successful. I am pretty sure I will not have much new growth om my poor pitiful remains of the Kong Mosaic. Hopefully there will be more on the market.
    I scattered the forget me not seeds in my front flower bed some time ago. Should I be expecting germination yet? I will be afraid to do any weeding for fear that I will pull them all up ! I keep forgetting to sow the lupines. I hope it is not too late. I have a row of freshly dug earth where I planted a bunch of daffodil bulbs. I will sow the lupines there, and hope for the best. I'll sign off right now...and go do that.

Marian

• taryn
    18 years ago

Deanne, I am most definitely crazed (or crazy!):

{{gwi:149900}}

{{gwi:147365}}

{{gwi:149901}}

{{gwi:149903}}

See those packets of little envelopes in the last photo? 100 for a buck. I've spent $20.00 so far on envelopes, so do the math...

Hope to be done over the weekend and get them all on Ebay. This year I'm trying something different and selling 'collections' of rare seeds but will list singles too. They are doing well so far.

Hi to all, back to it, I'm stalling here...

Taryn

ps will remove the pics later

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Just peeking in, but should be doing dishes. LOL...I thought I was looking at a drug bust there for a minute! WOW Taryn! You *have* been a busy girl. I'm so impressed! You go girl! :-) I saw a lady on TV the other day who said her only source of income was selling on Ebay and that she makes enough money to support herself and her two children. So, tell me what's your favorite/most unusual seed that you will be selling? Gotta go do those dishes...TTYL! Ei

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Hi all! We're home from our trip. The audition seemed to go well; now we wait and see if those who really matter think the same!

We got to the school about an hour early and were shown to a practice room to warm up. About 15 minutes before the audition, my neice joined us (she's a freshman there) and I think that helped keep my daughter calm. She stayed with us through the audition; it was nice to have a friendly face to chat with while DD played behind a closed door! Then it was off to lunch with two other trumpet players. After lunch, DD sat in on two classes. I sat in the reception room and read my book for the first class, but joined her in observing the jazz ensemble as they ran through their concert program It was like having a private concert!

Finally, the drive home, which was better than the morning drive. We had a little freezing rain/sleet/snow/younameit for a while. It never amounted to much of anything but it didn't do much for the nerves as I kept wondering if the roads were going to ice up.

T, the juggler was amazing to watch! What a great piece of music to use, with some wonderful tempo changes.

I'm going to keep it short and go to bed early. Just a tad of a sniffle and an achy feeling, but I WILL NOT get sick. I will sleep this out of me!

V.

ps - thanks for all the ggod thoughts!

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good Morning Idylland,

A sunny day here and not as cold as predicted. I think it is around 23 or so outside and the weather gurus were saying it was supposed to be in the teens this week so I'm happy with the temps in the 20's. I made a bit of progress on the painting yesterday and hopefully I'll get a good chunk of the work done today.

Monique, I have question for you. Do you know if that fuchsia you had in your container with the caladium is called 'Billy Green'? I saw that variety in the WWF catalog and it looks very much like your fuchsia. Anyway, I ordered it so no worries about getting me some. I'm so in trouble! I found this fuchsia site and they have hundreds of varieties. I'm afraid I'm going to have to spring for a few more varieties.

Eden, I checked out that coleus site last night and I'm going to have to order a few more coleus as well. Some of those plants are phenomenal! I'd like to try a few of those trailing varieties this year in my containers.

V. glad to hear DD's audition went well. I'm looking forward to hearing positive news.

Taryn, you are a crazy woman! You have a ton more patience than I do.

OK time to get myself to the gym. Today is 45 minutes on the Cybex machine then lower body strength training. I'm pretty pleased because I'm able to do 120 pounds on the abductor/adductor machine and I was also able to go up to 210 pounds on the leg press. Progress is being made. I hesitate to mention this for fear I'll jinx myself but I've finally, finally, finally, lost a few pounds. I'm having to eat between 1,400 to 1,500 calories per day to budge the scale. As a result I've had to cut back the intensity of my workouts because I'm just not eating enough to support the level I was working out at. I think I've finally found a balance between the exercise and calorie consumption that I can live with until I ditch the last 10 to 15 pounds. The other good news is that I'm within a hair of getting into a pair of size 12 pants my DS gave me a few years ago that have been my goal. I think ten pounds will do it. Woohoo! I'll be able to zip them with another five but probably won't be able to sit in them for ten. te he...

OK so where is Sue with the TGIF???

Have a great Friday evryone!
    Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Can't stay, cause I need to get ready to take mom to pick up her new hearing aids...yea!

Good Morning Deanne! Great News about the size 12's! I think I'm going to peek in here every a.m., cause your posts get my head on straight about going to Curves! :-)

Anyway, the reason I wanted to post this a.m. was to tell Marian that I found out the Ranunculus are only a zone 8 hardy and even in their hardiness zone they're tricky to get to return the next year (in the ground). They say they are *easy* to store though and will store well from year to year. You are suppose to store them after they are done blooming and then replant the following year. From what I read here in Illinois, that would mean I would be potting them up in March in order to get them to bloom when temps. are correct for their growth. They are cool temp. lovers. Anyway, here's a link and you can read all about it. Have a great day all! Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

I'd better get cracking before this idyll goes bye-bye.

TGIF!

Winter wonderland here this morning. May it be shortlived.

Sue

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Well Well! Today I am able to log in to GW!

I've just returned with 2 very annoyed cats. They have rude things to share with Rahjii about their experiences at the vet's: shaved stomachs and stitches and pain medication etc. I hope all goes well. We return for a checkup in 10 days.

It is cold and sunny here: 15F this morning and expected to be 10F tonight. They predict sun all weekend though. The problem with cold snowy weather is that it hurts my wallet! I've been ordering plants this week.

I've enjoyed Bella's birthday party, Sue's magnificent garden, also crocus and coleus and orchids....anything that grows frankly!

I'm still painting away daily...and it will be going on for a while longer too. Tonight my brother arrives for a few days and that will keep me pretty busy as he's vegetarian...almost vegan. He usually takes us out for at least one meal though.

Hope March is a good month for one and all!
    'bug

{{gwi:149904}}

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

Deanne, I got that fuchsia from WFF, so it probably was 'Billy Green'. We got it when WFF had their sale at the end of last June. They had small pots of all their annuals for $1 each!!!!! I wonder if they will do that again this year. They probably figured everyone was done with planting annuals by then, but I found places to tuck them in. They had some unusual ones also.

Happy belated bdays to Bella and Barb!!!

Monique

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

I was going to say good morning but somehow it's already after 1pm so Good Afternoon,

I've been on a cleaning frenzy. It started in the basement and will probably continue through the weekend. I have a cold, but strangely it's more annoying than anything. I really don't feel bad, just a sore throat when I wake up in the morning, and periodic coughing jags. I've been working on my coleus order and finally sent it out this morning. Skip this next section of my post if you're not a coleus fanatic...

Deanne, you asked what coleus I'm getting so here's the list. Disclaimer: Remember I had to toss all of mine so this is starting from scratch to get back to where I was after collecting them for the last 4 years.

First my absolute favorites:
    Alabama Sunset
    Back Lace
    Chocolate Drop
    Flirtin Skirts
    Glennis
    Gold Brocade
    Goldfinch
    Jingles
    Lavender Lace
    Raspberry Ruffles
    Sizzler
    Strawberry Drop

Then a few other favorites I'd picked up because of Idyll recommendations:
    Blackberry Waffles
    Eclipse
    Felix
    Sedona

Then I had to replace my originals:
    Butter Kutter
    Darth Vader
    Freckles
    Kiwi Fern
    Mr. Wonderful
    Rustic Orange
    Saturn
    Schizophrenia
    The Line
    Tilt-a-whirl
    Trailing Garnet Robe

Then I added others I'd gotten last year that I liked too much to give up:
    Buttercreme
    Candy Store
    Christmas Candy
    Coloring Book
    Doctor Wu
    El Brighto
    Kaleidoscope
    Othello
    Peter Wonder, though I have my doubts about him, he didn't grow much for my last year but I liked him enough to give him another chance
    Plum Frost
    Stained Glass

Then I had to add a few new ones:
    Bipolar By Golly
    Elfers
    Illumination
    Lemon Meringue
    Mocha Mint
    Pineapple Prince
    Religious Radish- a Deanne recommendation
    Religious Rutabaga
    Saturns Rings
    Trailing Green Olives

The only one I really wanted that I couldn't find was Dipt in Wine, one of my favorites. Maybe I can find it locally later this spring. Anyway that's the order I ended up with.

Deanne, I don't start my caladiums until mid to late April. They won't really sprout well unless they get temps in the high 70s-80. I start them under lights but they don't really start taking off until it gets pretty warm outside. They are definitely a summer plant only, not good in spring or fall in my experience. Where did you order your fuschias from? Did I tell you I went a little fuschia crazy a few weeks ago and ordered too many from a place called Fuschialand? I'll have tell you about my Brent and Becky's order later. I haven't quite pared it down yet...

Taryn, loved the pictures. You've got quite a seed production going there. Very impressive.

V, I'm glad everything went well and sounds like you had a nice day. Don't get sick now!

Sue, great picture of your garden. I don't remember seeing your cersis when I was there either.

Hi Charlotte, great picture but the next one I want to see is of you standing in GREEN GRASS ok? Marie, so you're still at the painting huh? Enjoy your visit with your brother and spoil those 2 poor kitty babies of yours for the next few days until they're feeling better.

Hi T, I haven't had time to veiw you juggler link yet but it's on my list.

Hi to everyone else. Gotta go get a few more things scratched off my list before Bella gets here around 4. TTYL, Eden