Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningmary

Idyll #304: February is merely as long...

gardeningmary
17 years ago

February is merely as long as is needed to pass the time until March.

Comments (101)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

V & M...Don't be silly. You'll have to work harder to hurt my feelings. ;-)
    Anyway, I'm doing my best and will let Deanne know as soon as I know! I've just got to hook up with everyone...Chelone would be a special treat!

• chelone
    17 years ago

I made it to work about 10:30. We received a foot of snow and then a nice coating of some sleet/rain. Combined with the ferocious wind there was a nice crust to pound through before snow removal could commence in full force. I have ignored the deck and will address the build up in front of the mailboxes today. I wish my neighbor would tell the knucklehead who plows her driveway that the object of the game is to get the snow AWAY from the mailboxes, not put it in front of it... .

Deanne, I believe the original Chunky's is in beautiful Sanford, ME. and I remember wrestling with the large interior lit awning some 10 years ago now! I have heard it's a blast, but never been as Sanford is not exactly "on the way" to anywhere for the helpmeet and I. I broached the subject of the paHty to the helpmeet yesterday. His reaction was predictably lukewarm... he doesn't participate on any forums and tends to be rather dismissive of what he calls "chat rooms". Somehow, the concept of "penpals" seems to have escaped him. ;) It takes an hour and a little to get to Manchester, send me some directions and I'll work on the "pysching". And some fun summer chow.

I loved Sweet Pea, but didn't have the time to read the article (will later today). I have yet to address the removal of the Christmas decorations from the front of the house. I don't feel so bad about it, though, the greens and fruit don't scream "Christmas" to me (maybe I'm kidding myself). But it's getting on to "time". I'll wait for the cold to abate and some of the snow to melt down. And then begin the staple pulling fest, lol.

I don't want to work today. This is very unlike me, really. I've always been a willing worker, arriving in a reasonably cheerful mood, but the doldrums have really grabbed me lately. I don't know if it's me, or if I'm simply reacting to the vibe in the shop... probably both. Oh well, I have to go and it won't be so bad, but my "clock watching" has me sort of worried.

Hope the court thing for Martie's brother is uneventful and the result is what she needs/wants for him. Thinking of Sue, too; procedures and pet worries... gotta take a toll in a quiet, grinding sort of way.

PM2, the beauty of this forum is that you can drop in whenever you feel like it and no one is offended if you "up and disappear". Take care of the wrists, gardening season will soon be upon us. (I can never keep up with the pace, either).

Thinking of the "missing" today and looking forward to their return and news. Gotta scrape the windshield now!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

Yellow for warmth. It looks like we may start getting some normal February weather on Tuesday. I got up early this morning and went to Quest for my pre-procedure bloodwork. No one was there so it was quick. There was a Starbucks next door so I popped over for one of my caramel macchiato treats. This has not been a good week on any front but I remain optimistic.

I've gotta run to a meeting in another building at 8:30 so this will be short. Zoe has an appointment with a veterinary neurologist on February 28th. I looked the guy up on the internet and he's one of 110 board certified vet neurologists in the world. He has a regular practice in NYC but travels to Norwalk, CT once a week for consults. Norwalk is over an hour away but the alternative options were 2 hours to the Boston area. Hopefully I'll feel well enough on the 28th to take her myself but if not Tom will go. My co-workers are starting a pool to guess how much this is going to cost. I told them the person who comes closest pays...lol.

Allrighty then-enjoy the day. Spring is coming.

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all,

A crisp 13 degrees out today. We are having a heat wave! LOL I went out in the blind yesterday for a bit but it was only 18 degrees and the wind was blowing 30 to 40 + and it chased me in after only a couple hours. Surprisingly not too many birds either.

Anyway, Chelone, way cool! I'll have to check and make sure I still have your email address. We are only 20 minutes south from Manchester, only one mile off the highway at exit 5. I'll email you specifics. You can tell the helpmeet that there will be other fellows there including Doug, Les, Tom and Wendy's DH... I'm sure he'll find something to talk about. ~~ Oh yes indeed, Chunky's is a blast!

Pm2 - hope you can check in and say hello from time to time even if you don't have time to post. You aren't far from here either, please consider coming to the cookout on March 3rd???

Sue, so horribly sorry about Zoe. I surely hope the neurologist has an answer for you.

So did anyone hear that Jay Peak VT got five feet of snow out of this storm???? Incredible.

OK must get myself to the gym. I really feel like that today, NOT!

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Just checking in....:-)
    I am expecting company tomorrow. My nephew (from Idaho ) is at Tim's. He has come mainly for the purpose of taking some oak lumber back, that he has purchased from Nolon's cousin's mill. He, and Tim, and the girls, plan on being here tomorrow and Sunday.
    I am not up to much house cleaning....so I will just hit the visible spots. They won't be here long enough to know the differance anyway.
    I am still 'working' on the plants research. It is coming along good. An interesting fact, that I found yesterday, is that there is an Indian Paintbrush species that is only found in a 200 acre area in a location not far from my home place. Naturally it is causing a lot of interest with the groups that protect such things. I am posting a link below. The name is not related to religion. It is named after the man that discovered them. His last name is Christ, pronounced with a short 'i'.

We are still having snow flurries but very little accumulation. Last night was one of our lowest temps for this winter....7F. I haven't figured out why I am so cold in the mornings, when it is around 60degrees in the livingroom? It is either my meds, or my metabolism. I am always tired when I get up, now I am tired AND cold !

Pm2, I hope your last post doesn't mean you are having serious problems. Is it your health? Your hands? Do check in frequently, if you can.

Sue, I hope both you and Zoe will be okay.

Martie, I hope all goes well with your brother.

Chelone, when I read your post about your doldrums...I thought: Post Partum! Or maybe 'anti-climatic' would be more applicable ?

Woody, your poor house! Thank goodness you don't have 100+ feet of that stuff! Do be careful, and take care of yourself.

Marie, I hope you ( and Chelone ) can go to that get-together. I guess Charlotte is having great fun in the snow.

Norma, What a scare! I am so thankful you were at home and found the hot spot! Sorry about your picture, but how very much more could have been lost! I lived in a trailer house with my first husband ( for a brief period). It had a flu fire, but we were home and extinguished it with no outside help. We have been very blessed with our present wood heating system. I used to have qualms at night, but have become more comfortable with it. I am very cautious about it...keeping anything flamable well away from it. One good feature is the stove pipe and the flue are all straight up, with no bends,( except the elbow coming out of the stove). The flue is triple wall stainless steel.

Okay...that's all for now. Hi to everyone else !

Marian

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Make that 'flue' fire! LOL

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

Just thought I'd pop in with a belated happy birthday for Chelone and also noted that today is Barb in BC's birthday---she's been MIA longer than I have. ;o) So a very happy birthday (belated and on time) from me to those two special ladies.

2007 has been 'interesting' and 'full' for us so far and I'm learning to appeciate life all the more because of it. Some life lessons we often prefer to do without, but they also are unavoidable, most of the time, so you take them as you get them and pray that you be given the strength needed to handle them graciously. I'm learning 'gracious' and being thankful often. These are good things. :o)

I've been reading along for the majority of my 'quiet time' but just haven't had anything to share nor the energy to try to find something to write. This morning I felt like saying 'hi' so here I am and heaven only knows if you'll ever get me to shaddup again.......so hope you enjoyed my absense. ;o)

Sue, you know you have my thoughts and best wishes that whatever has happened/is happening with Zoe that my heart aches along with yours and that my hopes are that there is a 'good' answer to what is happening. I'm sorry that you have to wait until the 28th for an appointment, but your plate (and life) sounds quite full. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers on Wednesday while you have your procedure. I agree with the others, you take care of yourself and are so physically fit that you will hopefully recover quickly. I hope the procedure takes care of your discomfort and problems. You are one of my fitness 'heros'! :o)

Honey, I was very glad to read that Bullet is doing well and that Tom's job seems more secure than previously thought. Tom's job probably comes first in thankfulness.....but then Bullet is such a beautiful guy with such personality-----well......yeah, I've got to put the human above the animal in this......but YES BULLET!!! ;o) Tom's my kind of guy with his humor and story telling......so just don't tell him that T. was putting a cat's health above his job. ;o)

'Bug, you've been busy with your knitting and I loved the photos you shared of the things you've made so far. There was one baby hat that you showed that was especially wonderful, in my mind. I did buy some inexpensive yarn and some appropriate sized knitting needles along with a book on how to hand-knit socks, but other things have taken my time so haven't given it a go yet. I love to knit and to crochet, but have never tried making socks with knitting needles. I do have a knitting machine & ribber (bought in the early 1980's) and have made many items with that (sweaters, knit lounging pants, personalized Christmas stockings, tiny Christmas stocking ornaments), but it has been put away for many, many years and I'm not sure I would remember all of the tips and tricks I once knew. I did enjoy being creative with it. I loved crocheting doilies and one Christmas when money was tight (it was always tight in those early marriage years it seemed) I made doilies as Christmas presents for my mother and mother in law. I also crocheted a long scarf to go on the top of my sister-in-laws piano. Now, I look around and laugh because I don't have doilies on my antique end tables and I don't have a doily scarf on my piano. Time to begin doing those hand crafts again, I think. I enjoy seeing your creations and think your new grandbaby is very fortunate to have you making things with love in each stitch.

Chelone, I've been following your time and decision about your mother. You were often in my thoughts and I apologize for not telling you that in a post. Not that you needed my support, but I wanted to give it. I just didn't have the mental energy nor the time when it was actually happening. You are still in my thoughts as I appreciate what an intense personal struggle all of this has been on you and probably continues to niggle at you.

Mary, loved the photos of the kids skiing, and LOVED the photos that your DH has taken. To be able to 'see' those possiblities that we all walk by each day (thinking of the shadows and colors---not the 'rear ends' LOL......although..........). Knowing that someone may be aiming a camera at my bum has made me all the more aware of my need to diet and exercise!! ;o) I think of you often.

Eden, how has the painting gone? Is the room done? I keep looking around here at all of the painting that needs to be redone and wishing for a windfall of money so I could hire someone to do it. I am lousy with a paintbrush (flicking paint all over the place and have a sloppy aim to boot). Painting is a job that I avoid with a passion. In 2004 I painted our entire house, twice (two coats). It amazed my DH and also myself that I did that much painting. I even was atop ladders (me, the klutz, and ladders are not a good mix) and scaffolding to do the job. I wish now we had gone for a soft sage or grayish green instead of our cheery yellow....but the yellow is so clean and nice looking that I just sighed when I'd try to wash the mud off of the siding that would get swiped (Seiko's tail) or splashed on it.

Speaking of cheery yellow........Woody, your beautiful yellow house with the drifting snow atop it, it did look like Lemon Meringue pie and my mouth was ready for pie after reading that (and seeing the photo). I hope you are doing well. I look forward to your posts.

Deanne, your bird shots have been WONDERFUL!!! I am seriously considering asking for a blind for my birthday or next Christmas. Maybe I could get some better photos of the elk if I had a way to 'hide' although how I'd know they were around and how I'd get to the blind when they were here is another little problem to work out. Often I'll be doing something in the house when I look up and they are grazing. By the time I see them, it is impossible to get closer to them. If I had a blind, sitting ready outside, I wonder if I could get in it and pick it up and walk closer to them without them realizing it was a human in there? LOL I can just imagine them coming closer to sniff and stomp on the moving 'greenery'. Maybe I shouldn't consider a blind after all and just think about washing my window really good so I can take better photos from the house? ;o) Your bird photos are outstanding and such a treat to see. Thank you for posting them.

Well, this is becoming far too long and I've not said hi to many others whom I enjoy immensely....for that I'm sorry as I enjoy them so much, too. I was just typing as thoughts came into mind, not meaning to slight anyone or any happening. Too much time going by without posting does bring in a slew of problems on its own...

I'm ready for another cup of coffee to fortify me before the twins arrive for the day. They are 6 months old now, not quite sitting up on their own but are close. I went to their 6 month check up to help their mommy during the appointment (they were getting immunizations so an extra set of arms to help soothe them afterwards was needed). Everyone, the nurse, the doctor, the nurse that did the injections and their mommy (!) were all teasing about their big round heads. I was the best grandmother and didn't utter a word other than to tell the boys I loved their little (well, okay, their big) Charlie Brown heads. One little guy weighs about 8 oz. more than his brother and they were teasing that it was because his head was bigger. I tell you.......is that nice?! ;o) LOL...it is true, maybe not necessarily nice. The doctor asked if big heads ran in the family when the boys were born, unfortunately they do (on their grandfather's side!! LOL). My dear sweet little 3 year old James' head was pretty round and large when he was tiny (yep, another Charlie Brown) but his body caught up a long time ago and he is a normal looking cutie. Anyway, the doctor said the boys are taking a bit longer to sit up because their heads are at the top of the charts size wise and that is a lot of weight to learn to balance. He was laughing as were the rest of us.......but dang, sure isn't fair to the boys. ;o)

I'd better get out of my jammies and get that coffee, I only have about 20 more minutes of quiet and calm before they arrive.

My best to ALL!!
    T.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Challenge of the day...insurance just denied coverage for my procedure. Apparently some clerk feels my fibroids aren't symptomatic enough to require treatment. Now we have to go through some sort of appeal process. In the meantime I'm off the schedule for next Wednesday. Give me strength!

Well, on the bright side flower show and rescue heartworm clinic are back on my schedule for next weekend.

Sue

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Oh for Pete's sake! So sorry Sue.
    I feel the same way about talking to the jokers about Mom's 2003 taxes. I've called every day this week and get a different response each time. Mom died in 2005.

Here's one from today's email:
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and over fifty for Miss America ?
    'bug

• chelone
    17 years ago

Oh Sue! like you need this foolishness on top of the whole Zoe thing?! I find "insurance" extremely frustrating. Premiums increase steadily, even if claims have never been made. I understand the whole "risk pool" concept, but I'm growing increasingly weary of the explanations. When I add up the price of various policies paid out in a year I want to throw up. But I'm too afraid to simply say, "forget it, I'll roll the dice". Good luck with the appeal.

Work wasn't bad; I knew it wouldn't be, but I just have this longing to be somewhere/anywhere else than there these days. (don't we all?). Marian, I think you may be onto something with the "post-partum" analogy; you are very perceptive about things like that. I was adrift for the first week Mum was gone... didn't know what to do with all the time that had formerly been devoted to her daily maintenance. It was strangely frightening; I'd forgotten how to be the independent person I'd been "before" and wasn't able to shift gears... I couldn't find my "clutch".

I was thinking about the regulars on this forum while cutting out the next round of V berth cushions today. To a one, each of you have offered support, advice, and humor to me (and many others) over the years. You have been unswervingly supportive and keenly observant, and I've benefitted greatly from what you've chosen to share and the nudges you've delivered to encourage a change in direction. It has been my very great priviledge to spend time in your company. And never, have I ever felt that someone's "silence" reflected anything more than a lack of time. I hope my own silences have received an equally forgiving reception!

I returned home and let Rex out for a wee-wee. Together, we crossed the road and surveyed the snowbank in front of the mailboxes. I determined that it would require dynamite to break it up. I am unwilling to shovel it by myself. We headed back to the house and were greeted by Polly who had been outdoors and was only too happy to be able to get back inside. Rex raced at her, "giving chase", but Polly was having none of his shenanigans. She turned broadside, presented a total "puff" and advanced toward him with the menacing, sideways movement. Wussy-boy back right down... 13 lbs. of kitty faced down 100 lbs. of dog, lol. As it ought to be... . I was thankful we've provided safe, cozy, out of the wind retreats for kitties caught on the "wrong side of the door". All are happily basking in the heat from the woodstove.

Obviously, nothing too exceptional here... hope things are either delightfully exciting or equally as mundane in YOUR homes.

Later, friends.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Okie doakie, I'll share my recent experience with a critter that I thought needed help. About 4 nights ago I switched on the deck light and saw a strange kittie. It was accompanied with Tommy and Trubby. None seemed upset at one another. I thought it was a young female...it looked rather calico. It didn't stay long, then 2 nights later, here it was again. I took pictures of it on the front porch. It was tame. Day before yesterday it was around most of the day. We were contemplating having a new pet. I called a couple of the closest neighbors to se if it were theirs. It wasn't, and I must admit, I was rather relieved. ( I was already becoming attached to the little varmint! ) Then I called Nolon's cousin. He said one of theirs had been gone that day, but his discription didn't sound like 'my' cat. ( I was rather relieved...again. ) Then his wife called and said she was coming to see if it was theirs. ( Shoot! ) I brought it in so it would still be available when she got here. It suddenly decided it did not like 'in' and was rambunctiously attempting to get out of my arms! I stepped out the door as the cousin's wife drove in, and lost hold on the cat ! It ran in to the crawl space hole. I showed Anna Marie my pics of it. It was hers ! (Drat! ) She hunkered down and called him ( yes, it is a 'him' not a 'her') and he came out to her. They drove off. ( Boo Hoo )
    Now , the odd, funny, part. I had already named'her' Molly. When Anna Marie called'him', she called him "Mally"! Neither of us knew what the other had named it!!!!

{{gwi:149995}}

And yes, He is totally tailess.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I'd be bummed, too, Marian. He is beautiful, but at least someone noticed he was missing... (he'd have loving care if he'd not been identified).

Cats without tails have hind legs that're longer than than their tailed counterparts... longer hind legs compensate for the missing tail!

Why do I remember all this silly crap?

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good evening

Marian - that really is a beautiful cat!

Nice to hear from T, Michelle and Prairiemoon again:0)

Ruth, BIL, Ivan and Iris arrived last night and it is wonderful as always to have them here. After work we all piled on snow gear and had a great time sledding down our slope in the back yard. It was so, so much fun, I haven't laughed so much in ages! I have a little sled called a Butt Bob you sit on and usually upends the rider long before the end of the slope plus a large inflatable four can pile on. To warm up we plunged into the hot tub. I made chicken pot pie for dinner and we've just finished a leasurely meal. I might not be around too much this weekend but I'll try and get some photos to share.

Norma - I can't beleive how much the little ones ahve grown just since Christmas!

have a great weekend everyone

Mary

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Hit and run just to introduce Sue to doggie diapers. I've used belly bands for Monty (handsome English tweedy design)before he invented the 'crate potty'. Might be an option until Zoe is all figured out :-)

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

When I came home from work tonight (5-ish) it was 71 on my outdoor weather station. We expect more of the same tomorrow, and then rain returns on Sunday. Took a little stroll around, and cant believe what had popped out in just a couple of days of warm temps(including weeds) . I will definitely take pics tomorrow to share.This week at the office has been particularly hell-like so it will be nice to spend a day in garden doing mindless things like pulling weeds and mulching. My new boxwoods came in so I will bop up to the garden center in St Helena after the grocery shopping to pick them up .

DDs birthday dinner last night was delish ! DD brought a nice bottle of Select Cab Franc and as is typical here for winery staff, corkage was waived. I had a grilled pork chop with apple /cabbage slaw , fingerling potatoes and a sweet garlic sauce (raisins and currants added the sweet). DS had kobe top sirloin with parmesan polenta and the sweetest little extremely thin and crispy onion rings and baby broccoli. DD had onion crust chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli rabe. All very tasty ! For dessert was a white chocolate martini (DD), pomegranate sorbet (me) and bread pudding (DS)..

PM2, so glad you checked in ! Sorry to hear that your hands are not coming along as briskly as you had hoped. How is your hubby at taking dictation??

Sue, you have a kindred spirit here-I am going through the exact same indoor potty issues with Tasha. She has suddenly decided that she doesnt like it outside. She wont even ask to go out anymore , so I have to constantly anticipate her elimination routine. I now put towels down every morning before I leave for work , and am doing laundry just as though I had an infant in the house ---peed-on towels instead of spit-up towels ! Thank goodness she is a very small dog , so the volume of what comes out of her is low.

bug, loved the Sweetpea film !

Marian-nice to see you. We have an Indian Paintbrush native to our Sierra and other mountain ranges here. Its red as opposed to yellow. I can see how you got attached to your visitor kitty ! Hes very attractive. I also have a visitor, a calico who likes to hang out in my backyard my cats dont like her and run her off if they notice she is here..I cant get very close to her yet.

T, there you are !! I hope some of this West coast balmy weather is extended up your way!

Hi to everyone I missed.. Im off to read the paper..

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Checking in from the mundane side of things tonight. -11 real temp when I got up this morning but we are now up to a pleasant 14 degrees. Oh yes, and more snow on the way! This afternoon the winds kicked up again and the highway started to drift. We had to take Mystic the wonder dog to his favorite place (the vet) and on the way there the road was a little dicey. On our way back, about 20 cars ahead of us (and I'm thinking right now that Marian can't imagine 20 cars right in a row) there was a pretty serious accident. A Jeep spun out in the drifted area and then was hit sideways by the next car. Funny, once we got past the accident (police were there by then) everyone was driving a lot slower.

Yes, Mystic needs a "frequent flyer" program for the vet's office! He developed an unusual bump on his leg that he was licking a lot. It turned out to be a hemi-somethingorother that falls into the category of "it happens sometimes and it should go away". We'll keep an eye on it. But we did manage to find an ear infection, so all was not for naught.

When we were leaving, an animal control officer was picking up a dog that had just been spayed. Then DH told me they were holding an adoption event tomorrow. I really don't think I will do it, but this little sweetie is on my mind. Check her link below.

Time to go to bed and dream of 10,000 reasons I don't need another dog!

V.

ps - Sue, what a shame! I don't want to get too political, but I think our health insurance system here is totally whacked.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning, a balmy 21 degrees out this AM... LOL It is going to be a lovely sunny day here and I'm thinking we are going to head off to the beach and see if I can snag some pics of some Eider Ducks.

Sue, GOOD GRIEF!!!! It's bad enough that you have to have that procedure done but to be dealing with insurance morons on top of that is ridiculous... So sorry...

V. Olive looks like a sweetheart... ~~ RE slippery road accidents... Some people in these UAV's think they don't slid when it is icy out... Drive much too fast in the 4Wd's... Anyway, there was a 50 car pile up on Rt 93 between Concord and Manchester a couple weeks ago... What a mess...

Kathy, 71????!!!! in my dreams... Right now it doesn't seem like it will ever get warm again. Looking forward to those pics.

Mary, great to hear you, Ruth and families are having a great time.

Marian, what a pretty kitty! Bummer you couldn't keep him.

T. great to hear from you! RE the blind, it isn't movable like you are describing. It actually is a tent thing and I can't just move it about. ~~ So happy you like the bird photos, Thanks!

OK time to get this day started... Have a good one everybody!
    Deanne

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!! morning. Can you tell it's been a long week in all regard???? LOL

Sue: I'd swear on your behalf but wouldn't do so quietly so know the thoughts are there. This week's major irk has been administrative/legal people who question medical experts decisions about medical things. A doctor I know well both professionally and personally actually hand-delivered an organ to the nurse who decided it should not be removed (after all precautions for safety were taken). The large lump that she felt didn't justify surgery scared the heck out of her and she ended up quitting the job that day so that she wouldn't have to follow "acceptable parameters for surgery" anymore. Hope the appeal goes well. If not, write me as I have become expert in these things. I mean it.

With all the talk of potential new pets, my heart is pounding and it's a good thing Rich isn't around to take me to the Humane Society. To the point where I made a special trip to my parent's house yesterday to see their Murphy. In a way, I hope this feeling passes since I truly don't think it's fair for a new pet to be left alone for 10 or so hours a day. I'm right, Right?????? Help!!!!!

Sooooo good to hear from you, T. If the staff was laughing, that's the best assurance that they're healthy!! Hope that whatever is going on that's kept you away goes away itself, or that it becomes less oppressive in your life. You're always in my good thoughts ....

Okay, Deanne. Sitting in a blind to take pics of birds in this week's weather is a bit over the top of artistic committment to me :-) Talked to Rich about March 3 again and it wasn't an immediate shutdown. He's had a particularly tough winter so Please Don't take it at all personally. I would love to come alone, anyway, and that is still a possibility, but a remote one at best. Did tell him that Tom and Sue would be there ... hope with Sue's change of date she'll be able to get up there.

Marian: Ummmmmmm, jeez, you're wondering why you're a bit chilly in the morning when the house is 60deg? The healthiest of healthy might find that a bit brisk after crawling out of a warm bed. LOL

Eden: Have you drowned in a paint bucket?? If you got your Art Hodes begonia as a baby, did you pinch it back?

Marie: Great info you're providing of late! Looked at the ingredients in my dish soap and tossed the entire bottle. Got almost through the entire Sweet Pea video and the things we don't know!

Kathy: Dinner to this New Englander sounds just like a Napa Valley dinner should. Waiving corkage sounds kinda like the "professional discounts" gardeners give each other at nurseries. Let the trial and error begin! AND, since Eucs are considered more weedy than not where you are, any weeds you want to dig up from your garden and send my way are fine. LOL

Am excited this morning about Select Seeds and will be calling them in a few minutes to be sure they're open. Didn't know they did all their plant growing at Stafford Conservatories -- one of the best florists in the region, IMHO. Will give a full report upon my return.

Also stopping to get some peat pellets and fresh medium to start some seeds. Began an Excel spreadsheet last night to track everything and then abandoned the idea. Too much like work and this year has been so long in coming that I don't have the heart to "track." Good for Me~

Best to everyone and enjoy your day!

Martie

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Received some pictures from my daughter last night that I thought I'd share. These were taken the first week of January, before there was any sign of cold or snow.

DD with DGS goofing in the woods here at the farm:(taken by DSIL)
    {{gwi:149996}}

DGS and me going for a ride around the property. (taken by DSIL)
    {{gwi:149997}}

Today we did tons of errands (after finally getting shoveled out of a snowdrift by the bridge) and now I must prepare for company.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    17 years ago

Just a quick post to provide some rather gaudy color on a gray day!

{{gwi:149998}}

Sue I hope your insurance company gets its act together ASAP Canadas health care system certainly has its flaws but I cant imagine having medical decisions being so at the whim of an insurance company. Back in 1998 I had 18 hours of brain surgery, a week or so in ICU followed by three more weeks in hospital and a month in a rehab hospital. Total cost to me $0! And the only involvement by an insurance company was that my benefit plan covered a private room in the hospital.

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

No new dog at V.'s household this weekend. DH woke up with a nasty stomach bug and has been on the couch (or in the bathroom) all day long. So we didn't go anywhere today - perhaps this was a message that I really don't need a third dog!

So not much else to report on this end of the world. We got a bit more snow overnight but nothing dramatic. I caught up on some reading, did a few chores and baked some cookies to send down to DD via her cousin who's headed down for a visit. And that's about all I know!

V.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I hope your DH didn't eat the wrong brand of peanut butter V!!!

• chelone
    17 years ago

Woody the Amaryllis is beautiful! I love the hint of color in the dried leaves outside your window, too. Very, pretty. There are two in our southern window, one has a stalk, the other is just beginning to emerge from the bulb. It will be fun to see what color they are, neither of us can remember.

I summoned the gumption to deal with returnables yesterday (why do I always get stuck with that chore?), and then shovelled off the deck. Apparently, just in time for more snow (1-3" this afternoon). Still, the end is in sight, it will be pretty much all said and done in just under 2 months.

I have to admit that Olive is an aesthetically pleasing dog to me. How big was she? any indication of the cross? I hope the husband is feeling better, V., and maybe it WAS "a sign". ;) Or maybe it was the peanut butter.

Great pictures (as usual), love 'bug's DGS... some little ham, huh?

For now, it's time to hang the laundry, make the bed, sanitize the kitchen, and formulate a plan to address the clutter in the "lab." and on the desk top (have managed to postpone it successfully for a few weeks now; maybe Honey needs to come for an intervention).

I began reading a biogrphy of George Washington the other day (to try out my new reading glasses). It occured to me that I knew very little about him and with his birthday looming (February 22nd.!), I thought it high time to fill in the gaps.

The washing machine is winding down, gotta go.

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

One thing is certain - DH did not eat any "bad" peanut butter. He considers peanut butter to be one of the most noxious substances on the face of the earth. I once made peanut butter cookies for the kids and he thought it was a waste of flour, sugar and butter. He is feeling better this morning and will venture to church with me, but we will take a pass on the annual "Chili Fest" after church.

Before that, I have a load of laundry to fold and a sink full of dishes to deal with (I was bad last night and left them there!)

Chelone, Olive looked like she was about 35 pounds and she's supposed to be a shepherd-bulldog mix.

V.

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Good morning!

Woody, love the "lemon meringue pie" house! The snow is pretty, I just hate dealing with it. The day after the storm, the side roads were still pretty bad, I guess the combination of the rain and the sudden temperature drop contributed to the mess. As I was driving DD to school, she commented that she could ride her bike faster than I was driving! So fresh. I told her I'd get her there safely, speed was not a priority.

Mary, sounds like your family is having a great time with the skiing and sledding. The movies, alone?! I guess we have to let go but it is so hard. My DD is 12, your Annie is a bit older than that, right? I still have a hard time letting DD go to a different part of the store when we are shopping; she has strict instructions to stay in one area and not to wander. If you know all of the kids and they are basically trustworthy, they'd probably be OK. Tell them to travel in pairs, to the restroom or for snacks etc. If you are still hesitant, let them sit by themselves, but sit 10 rows or so behind them - that way you are there, but not right there.

Norma, DD is enjoying the drums. They finally switched over from the bells to the snare drum in school, so she'll start to get some lessons after school vacation. She has a pretty good ear, she can imitate a lot of what she hears, but she really wants to learn all the techniques (like the drum roll). The band teacher is making all the drummers use the rubber practice pad over the drum in class for now, until they learn to "stay together". The boys in her lessons class are so rowdy that the teacher made a new rule - they can not even hold the drum sticks while he is talking!

Chelone, I hope you do decide to come to Deanne's party. We are not all strangers, you and I met at a plant swap at idabean's over a year ago. You gave me some of your bearded iris and told me it is the same blue as the sweatshirt I was wearing. Hope 'bug and Martie can make it as well! Monique, that cake sounds yummy. How neat that you'll make it with your own raspberries.

T, good to see you - we missed you here! Glad to hear that the twins are doing well. Never mind about the big heads, I'm sure they are adorable. Pictures??

Sue, shame on your insurance company. Good luck with the appeal. Good thoughts going to you and to Zoe.

Tough day ahead today here, a friend of DH's died suddenly last week and the wake is today. He was in his early 40's and in great health - he played hockey and bicycled. He collapsed in his kitchen and was gone, leaving a 15-year-old son behind. Really makes you think - life is so precious.

-Wendy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Good Sunday morning! Another weekend just flying by here. My Pitcairn book came yesterday so if no other plans materialize I guess I'll sit and do some reading.

I decided I'm going to start taking my own advice and not stress over things I can't control. My guess is doctors deal with these denied insurance things all the time and know how to get around them. If not then my symptoms just got a whole lot worse. As it turns out the timing would have been awful anyway. My aunt died yesterday and the funeral is Wednesday in the Boston area. I'll go up Tuesday night for the wake and stay overnight somewhere. My dad and his wife are flying in from FL and I haven't seen them in almost 5 years. Zoe has an appointment with her regular vet Friday morning so I'll be able to take her to that now and I'll also be able to volunteer at our annual rescue fundraiser next Sunday. Sometime in between I'll fit in a quick trip to the Hartford Flower Show. If I'd been laid up I wouldn't have been able to do any of these things.

On the Zoe front, she seems a bit more relaxed this weekend. We've been super diligent about getting her outside and going with her to make sure she does what she needs to do while she's out there. I feel like we have a puppy in the house again...we're constantly asking "Did she pee?" "When was the last time you saw her poop?" lol I've always been a stickler about housebreaking with the dogs and have probably made them all neurotic in that respect. Maybe this is her way of rebelling? Speaking of the little princess, here she is...

{{gwi:149999}}

And here she is playing tug of war with my slipper yesterday. As you can see, physically she's in tip top shape and still interested in shenanigans even at 9. Notice Nick sitting on the dog bed for leverage...lol Both of them have been in and out 10 or 15 times already this morning chasing squirrels away from the bird feeders.

{{gwi:150000}}

V, every so often I think about getting another dog. Especially with the ages the way they are. Now would be the perfect time to introduce a puppy. We're going to have two older dogs at one time. But three would be too much. As it is, it's almost impossible to go away from the house overnight.

Martie, I've always worked and had dogs. Mine are alone approximately 9 hours a day during the week and we've never had any problems. The adoption of an older dog may require and adjustment period unless that dog came from a similiar situation but most dogs are pretty much go with the flow.

Allright then, time to scare up something that resembles breakfast then move ahead with the day. Yesterday I actually did some cleaning and should continue with that theme but...you all know how that goes. It looks like we're finally going to get some seasonable weather here by mid week. For here that means daytime temps in the upper 30s F.

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all,

A bit of a cloudy day here but the birds are feeding like crazy and it's 34 degrees outside, a heat wave! Anyway, might just go and spend some quality time with the birds while Doug goes flying. (Airplane everyone)

Martie, NO WORRIES, a person can only do what they can do and I completely understand about being in a mind set where social situations are difficult or uncomfortable. If it works out that you can come that is terrific and if it doesn't that is OK too. As I said, no worries one way or another.

Woody that Amaryllis photo is gorgeous. What a beauty! I used to grow them but never could get them to come back reliably so I don't often have one anymore.

Wendy, so sorry about your DH's friend. That's just awful.

Bug, love those pics! Looks like you had such a terrific time. That's marvelous....

OK I guess I'd better get the downstairs plants watered and do something productive with this day. Last night I had one of those nights where you think you are going to drop off to sleep at any second and you just never do? Anyway I don't think I got four hours of sleep last night and I'm moving a bit slowly today so any activity is going to be at half speed.

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

So as I am looking for "signs" as to whether or not to consider a third dog, I went to church this morning and happened to meet the pastor's dog. She is an interim pastor and I didn't even know she had a dog, but the dog was a very sweet chocolate lab who warmed up to me once she realized I smelled okay! The dog's name?

Olive.

V.

• chelone
    17 years ago

We just returned from the movies. We saw "Breach", based on the apprehension of Robert Hansen, the FBI guy who spied for the Russians for nearly 20 years. It was very good; first time we've seen Chris Cooper in a leading role; great perfomance. Then we used some gift certificates and went for some seafood.

I did manage to get the desktop under a semblance of control. "Mum stuff" is in one pile, old correspondence in another, dead batteries in the recyling bin, dust and kitty hair removed. How do you clean the accumulated grime and dust off a keyboard? I've read you can wash them, but that's sounds like a great recipe for disaster; a toothbrush sounds less risky. I may just put books back on the shelves, tie up old magazines, etc. before venturing down to the bowels and... "the lab." (it's pretty bad).

V., I don't know about you. Do the think the sign is just there, or do you think you're LOOKING for one? That's the thing about pets; they arrive with a certain amount serendipity, there's usually a "story" to them.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

V: Quit fighting it and go get the dog. There are some things bigger than us no matter what one's belief :-)

My Valentine's Day Present:

{{gwi:150001}}

{{gwi:150002}}

One thing I've "hit" about 20 of the past 30 years is Narcissis blooming on Valentine's Day. Wish I could send you all the fragrance.

{{gwi:150003}}

Select Seeds was a non-event but did get to meet the Manager and Owner. Got on their mailing list for their June "clean off the benches" weekend. One day invite only -- next day open. Road Trip!!!!

Will you stop having so much fun, Marie????? LOL

Kathy - Can you send warmth this way, please? Imagine fondant on a cake and that's what the snow looks like here. Just a dusting to sparkle on top and underneath, a hard shell that glistens. What beer for this Sunday afternoon???

Deanne: I know no worries but, you know. LOL Showed a few of your pics to my dad who has been an amateur ornothologist for years. "Cool work!!! (You have to use double entendre's when you're eighty to save energy.) Belly laugh. Thanks!!

Sue: Lemme att'm :-) Everything happens for a reason and it sounds like you're almost relieved. Your dogs are stunning, BTW.

The Lemon Merangue house pic belongs in a kid's book!! What a great look!

Hoping everyone is great and has had a good weekend. Wave quick to Wendy!!!!!!

Martie

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

After two straight days of spring clean-up chores, its time to sit down and do something that does not involve bending, stooping, sitting on the ground (and getting up from same) digging, and hauling full trash cans to the yard waste bin. The rain we were supposed to get today never showed up , so I made the most of it. I realized as I was working that I had actually removed quite a few plants late summer and fall- and actually have quite a few open spaces for new arrivals .A list has been started..

Woody, loved the Amarylis , and V, Olive looks sweet- think about itOlive loaf, Olive the dog , and Olive the preachers dog ..on the other had I can hardly manage 1 10 pound dog, let alone 3 !

Sue, thanks for posting the glam shot of Ms. Zoe. I am lucky to work only a mile from my home, so my 10 hour days include lunch at home most of the time, so my dog gets visit.

Martie, what a nice set up for your seeds ! We dont have basements out here , so I have a light on a 2x2 frame in my garage. However, my garage is such a mess right now I cant use it. By next winter it will be cleaned out and I hope to revive my seed starting area. I would be happy send you a Euc, but I am currently out of stock ! Havent had one since we left San Diego in 1986 ! I love them , but they dont work for me in my small garden. Oh, and todays beer is Kona Brewing Company Longboard Island Lager. Very refreshing after a day of manual labor.

As promised , here are some pics I took this morning. Not too happy with how they came out. I think I need to spend some quality time with the instructions !

{{gwi:150004}}

This is my front garden after planting the 20 boxwoods yesterday. You can't really see the other small plants or bare-root roses very well in this photo. I'll post another in a few weeks.

{{gwi:150005}}

My cool variegated Euphorbia, starting to bloom

{{gwi:150006}}

This pic shows my pink Camelia in full bloom, Euphorbia "Jade Dragon" in the foreground starting to unfurl , and the Rosemary-again the color is washed out, but it is in bloom,and was even visited by bumble bees this weekend..note the neighbors orange tree in the upper right corner.

{{gwi:150007}}

Sweet Voilet (Violet Odorata) which is engulfed by sweet woodruff, most of which I dug out this weekend...

That's all for now !

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning, 6 degrees F here and winds gusting to 35 Brrrrr.... There will be no sitting in my blind today until these temps moderate a bit.

Martie!!! Woohoo! great light set up.... LOL "Cool pics". Glad your Dad enjoyed them. WE had a juvenile, female Cooper's Hawk here today but she flew off before I got the scope on her.

Kathy, Thanks for the spring photographs. Incredible that you have a camelia blooming where everything here is frozen solid. I think its interesting that before mid January this was the warmest winter on record and with the month of well below normal temps I'll bet this winter comes out average. Go figure? Supposedly we are going to get near normal temps in the next few days and this artic air mass is going to move out. I surely hope so. It got up to 34 degrees on Saturday and it really did feel like a heat wave.

Sue, I missed your post Sunday AM! What a lovely photograph of The Zoestress. She is still Queen for the Day. I surely hope whatever is causing her problems can be resolved. What day are you going to the Flower Show??? Maybe I'll pop down and go with you. I need a pick me up and that might be just the thing.

OK must run and get to the gym. have a great day all,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Well this morning the temperature is at minus 9.4F they say. The snow plow just passed by this minute, but this week looks to be better in some ways, namely temperatures up in the 32F range most days. The tough part is that the sun vanishes this morning for at least a week. Sun is a necessity for me!

I had to tell Deanne that the trip to NH is off. We tried and tried to figure something out but between the schedule times, the prices and nonsensical connections, it just isn't going to work this time. What a pain. :(

Looking at narcissus and camelia blooms here is unreal....It will be a while yet until we see colour.

{{gwi:150008}}

All the best to you this week my friends!
    'bug

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

It is far too easy for me to slide back down into lurkdom with only reading and no responding so I'm making myself write something today to stop that slip sliding. ;o)

Norma, how thoughtless of me to have missd telling you that I was glad that you found the fire before it got out of hand. Thankfully the damage was such that you were able to fix it yourselves. Scary business! I've enjoyed seeing the photos you've shared also. You have beautiful property!

All of a sudden I cannot remember what else I forgot earlier. (Wish there was a little smiley for cross-eyed confusion---I could use it often--unfortunately).

My car died Saturday. Thankfully it died in the garage and it did this same thing 2 years ago (Jan. 2005)--in the garage. How weird is that? Running fine then just won't start. I'm so thankful that it does happen in the garage, but what a hassle and rotten expense to have to phone a tow truck to get it down to the mechanic to be fixed. Oh well, I'm thankful that we have the funds to have the car towed & repaired...and that we have a wonderful mechanic that we trust. Blech on car troubles! Last time it was clogged injectors, we'll see if it is the same thing this time and perhaps there is a longer term 'fix' that can be done.

I watched the twins on Friday and they both sat up for a few minutes. I was sitting on the floor behind/beside them so that I could stop them from tipping over or banging their heads together. I was so surprised and tickled at how long they were able to balance themselves. They are growing up! Soon I'll begin watching them two days a week instead of just once a week.

The elk have been here for the past couple days. No good photo opportunities or at least no new poses to take photos of. The same 'ole, same 'ole.

Well, I really shouldn't have started a post, I truly have nothing going on of interest. :oD Oh well........hasn't stopped me before. ;o)

I'm going to enjoy some more coffee and read my emails before beginning the day.

Hope it is a good one.....hello to all!
    T.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

O, Kathy - love the Spring pics -- it gives us all hope. Here in the frozen southern tundra, we are expecting warm up "tropical" temps of 50s later in the week -- having dealt w/ the horrible icy weighted snows & commutes of last week, hurting my back & knee in the midst, Im just kind of cocooning here - no motivation to do much of anything.

I did manage to make it to Dreamgirls - really great movie -- and the awards are well deserved of that cast - it's been a long time since I saw a musical -- it's hard sometimes to agree w/ friends on what to see - this was a compromise & one that turned out very well. I recommend it to all.

Love the Zoe pics, Sue -- I confess Miss Chloe has been acting more neurotic than "normal" lately too - made me think of Zoe.... but then she seems a bit more "herself" today so Im hoping that it's just winter cabin fever or some such. Small dogs do seem to take some things more to "heart."

Im sorry that Mally turned out to be owned, Marian -- but better you found out fairly quickly than another month when you were really attached.

Woody, - I laughed at the Lemon Meringue house -- it soooo made me think of that too -- yum - what a cheery color for a house no matter what the season. And the amaryllis is just the color hit we need.

Michelle -- I bet you're going full speed w/ the kitchen re-vamping - it will be lovely. I was envisioning you in your garden shed w/ some baseboard heat, all snuggled up planning the spring garden - instead, you're slaving away in the kitchen. I can't even get motivated to do much needed cleaning chores.

Glad to see the other check-ins from missing idyllers -- PM2, I hope you feel up to just lurking and popping in if you can.

How nice to have your Thumb your Nose party to look forward to, Deanne -- I know you all will have a terrific time. BRRRRR - someone wake me when it's Spring!

T -- grr re the car troubles -- do you think it's a battery problem? Im glad it happened in the garage and not the hi-way. I hope Spring brings warmth & happy optimism to you soon.

Did my taxes yesterday too - yeeha, a refund - maybe that home computer will come to pass in another month or so after all - it's a real challenge to even turn this old one on ...

Nice to see the family photos, 'bug -- everyone is having so much fun. Nice memories.

I hope everyone has a warmer, uneventful Presidents' Day -- Im gritting my teeth to go back to work; last week was a lot of more o.t. and struggling to get things done from home when stuck in the ice & stressful commuting -- it's these types of weeks that really makes me hate getting up in the morning! But hopefully there will not be too many more days like this and Spring will come early this year.

--Cindy

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

11 degrees.No.Wait. That's the time. It's actually a tropical 22F.
    {{gwi:150009}}

When I was out trying to detach the morning poop from the surface of our ice rink the sun was actually warm on my back.

I enjoyed all of the life glimpses from Saturday and Sunday. Bug and grandson during the warmth of December, Martie's V-Day gift (are you going to start anything tonight?), Kathy's new design in front and blooms in back, the precious Zoe and Nick.

I'm with Cindy, I think the pets have cabin fever now too. The manic depressive one (Dannie) had a panic attack last night while I was reading in bed. She was one big bundle of anxiety when she was returned,(that was the reason for return) but gradually reduced to one episode a day, then 1 a week, one a month. Last was in December, so we made it through January. Maybe she's headed towards one a year now? Please. I went downstairs and turned off the radio, went to my office and turned off the humidifier. Looked at the magazine I was reading and wondered if there was a scent to it that triggered her. Checked the barometric pressure. Turned off the light and went to sleep. She arranged herself next to my head and stopped shaking and panting.

T, Eden and Michelle, is there a moratorium on grandbaby pictures? Something's missing here :-)

V, 3 dogs can work well. It sounds like she really appealed to you when you saw her at the vet's. I fought adopting Dannie for a long time. Two dogs and a rotating foster works perfectly for me. Finally did the pros and cons and capitulated. So what's stopping you? :-) You have two boys now, so a girl should fit in with few issues in terms of pack dynamics. I think you should go visit her at the rescue with your dogs.

Ok, I'm avoiding housework. It's an official holiday here which means I should be catching up on the clutter and fluff.

Have a good day all!

Cynthia

• just_t
    17 years ago

Well, the tow truck has been here and the car has been taken away to the car hospital. Hopefully it won't be too expensive of a fix. I'm terrible about taking the car in for oil changes, don't trust the drive through oil change places so I told them to 'please change the oil & filter as it hasn't been done since you did it last'. Dang but that is embarrassing to admit. I'm only about 3,000 miles over (so one change behind) when I should have done it. Darn me anyway for my procrastinating ways.

While awaiting the tow truck, I decided to do some work outside. Never mind that it was raining and I wasn't wearing a coat....I thought it would only be for 15 minutes or so. Well, 40 minutes later, I was thankful to see that truck finally coming up the driveway! I could quit working!!! I was edging the front beds with the half moon spade/edger that Sue suggested I buy/use last year when I made the beds. I bought the tool right away but kept putting off doing it until the ground was so stinkin' hard and dry. I then had to wait until the fall/winter rains had soaked in enough to make the job doable. I figured I had put it off long enough and it was time to begin (past time? yep---past time). So I began, in the rain.........wasn't enjoyable. I also bent over the handles to pick up the sod that I was cutting out----handles were muddy from my gloves........not a good thing on the front of my shirt. Dang but some people (me) need a sign and a keeper!

I came in and decided to put my pajamas back on since what I was wearing was wet and muddy. No one is coming, I have no vehicle to go anywhere (yes I do--we have a 3rd set of wheels but I have never driven it and I don't want to drive it). No mail delivery today and I'm not expecting a package (if the big brown truck is delivering on this holiday)..........so, I can be in jammies for hours yet. :oD

Cindy, a new computer sounds pretty great. I keep wondering about going to an Apple product when mine dies....I've become cranky and tired of Windows glitches and Microsoft's new tactics to monitor us to make sure we aren't sharing software. For some reason that company has gotten me riled up these past couple years. I don't understand it.....but it turns my 'cranky meter' up. Norton (Symatec) also has been turning my cranky meter up in the past two years......and I use both products---go figure.

So......the day stretches ahead.

Hope it is a good one!
    T.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

A balmy 27 degrees this morning compared to a 16 that we had one morning last week.

T, my sympathies with the car trouble. Mine wouldnt start at work on Friday. I guess it was a fuse that blew and made the alarm system disable the starter. Luckily the local station sent a couple guys out and they figured it out. The whole thing cost $39.00 Oh, the joy of a small town.

I got a letter from Fine Gardening saying that they are going to purchase a tip that I sent in. Not so much but a little extra gardening money :o)

Still working on the kitchen walls. There is some damage from the wallpaper removal from the time before this.

Mary, it sounds like a fun time with the sledding and all.

Ive enjoyed the pictures on this thread but really havent had much time for reading other than skimming.

Cynthia, no recent Kenzie pictures. When we watched her overnight a week ago, I didnt even think to take the camera out. We were having too much fun playing.

Later
    Michelle

• chelone
    17 years ago

Add my voice to the chorus of sympathy for automotive woes, T. I'm very good about regular service, though! My father was so cheap about that sort of thing... and it was always poor Mum who "paid the price". I firmly believe the relationship a woman forges with the automotive mechanic is the most important one she will ever establish over the course of her life! "My" mechanic is the quintessential, tall, lean, dry New Englander. To many, he is brusque to the point of rudeness (the helpmeet, lol!), but I think he is really a cream-puff with an overbaked crust. My car goes in every 3K. I drop it off Sunday night with a note (lube, oil, filter; tires, fluid levels... take it out when you go for coffee, advise about upcoming maintenance expenses so I won't be slammed). I let him have it for the whole day. I have experienced very few breakdowns, when I have, Mr. Crusty C-P bumps me to the top of the list. Probably doesn't hurt that I routinely drop off a goody when I pick up the car, or that there is a "lunch on me" gift cert. for him and his trusty assistant; but more importantly, I'm not a whiner or a PITA. I am in charge of scheduling ALL our automotive work... he calls me "dear" or "sweetie". And it's just fine with me. :)

I am, however, woefully lax about maintaining AAA memberships. Better "get on" that one, huh?

I cracked up at the vision of the twins toppling over and knocking their BIG heads together. One of the interesting aspects of this forum is charting the "firsts" for the younguns. I've never had a baby, so the milestones are fun for me to note, too.

It's gonna be a long time before I'll be able to penetrate the frost in the ground here... 'bug, you photo of the tree is just lovely. It captures what I find most arresting about the winter landscape. And, like Cynthia, I noted the marked increase in the warm of Old Sol's rays over the weekend. It's been very cold here, but the weekend saw a break... much dripping, much shovelling, and cats IN AND OUT all day long. When they were out, they were parked on the railing, broadside to the sun or were carefully mooching across the crusted snow to visit long ignored corners of their "territories". It's cold today, too... but it's not going to last.

It's fun to see spring time at Kathy's, and read of the excitement of starting seeds. I'm still OK with winter, it's really allowed me some time to "decompress". I share the angst about failure to address clutter, confusion, too! but it's really easy to get caught up the "it has to be done" mentality; I am coming to terms with the notion that not every single moment of my day must be devoted to something productive. For a long time it was how I managed and coped; it's a tough addiction to break. "Screwing off" is good for you sometimes. (the "lab." is still a disaster).

Dogs. You know I hate them. V., multiple dogs is fine and a good thing, IF they're all pretty much on the same page with respect to behavior(s). I know I would be leery about introducing another dog to our home unless we were scheduled for a vacation (we've talked about it). Dogs from the pound often come with "baggage" and require training, socialization, and TIME to get in the swing. I know how much work Rex required and still does (he is not "set it and forget it" dog). If you are ready, then you should GO FOR IT; but if you're worried about a young, untrained dog and whether or not you have the time to do what must be done... well, you know! And ONLY you know.

OK, that's it for now... good to see Michelle. It was a sorta long day at work, so I'll be back later lookin' for some more levity.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

I just explained to the fence people that unless Brian Boitano is on their crew they do not want to come near my yard tomorrow. My whole rink slopes, and there have been enough sledding deaths in the last week. I don't want any happening under my insurance policy. Oops, I just truly don't want them spending an efficient day here if they can wait until it melts. Two out of three gates on the currently fenced portion are frozen solid in the ice.

T, that grime and grunge job you did on yourself is proof you are a real gardener now! If you need to stay clean you must restrict yourself to the house :-) Hope your car is salvageable and the cost is inline with Michelle's bargain.

Chelone, my New England AAA card (I never switched to Mid Atlantic) says 'member for a million years.' Or 29 years. I have AAA plus and seem to use it every year or two for some dumb thing that's my own fault. Like turning around in a nail bed or leaving an interior light on for 3 days. It saves me angst and money.

V, this summer, foster of the month 'Pearl' was in Katie's way when she wanted to come back in the house. The two of them made letters with their bodies and spelled 'Olive.' At that time I had no idea what it meant and pondered the meaning of dogs over my martini with a twist. Here's the V part of the word:

{{gwi:150011}}

Sorry for the quality, it was twilight and the camera was on it's last gasp. I do seriously have a lot of other letters they spelled while they were trying to untangle themselves!

• chelone
    17 years ago

No offense, Cynthia, but I was hopin' for more activity; it isn't a holiday until February 22nd.!

That, my friends, will be the 275th. anniversary of George Washington's birthday (or, as my father used to say, "George Birhtington's washday"). I believe such an august group as this should endeavor to acknowledge "holidays" on the dates they were meant to represent... I know little of Canadian/British holidays, so let's PLEASE, make a pact to commemorate important dates ON THEIR DATES. If nothing else we can chalk it up to the "global economy". Or greater understanding, OK?

I am very much enjoying GW's biography. I did not know that he was a superb horseman (as was his mother!), nor did I know that he was self-conscious of his lack of formal education, or that John Adams derided him for it. He was 6'4", lean and athletic, with the bad teeth that marked his time. He was a superb dancer! (I have much to read, not having passed page 100.).

I want to hear more from Michelle, esp. with regard to the kitchen walls... what was the damage (sheetrock or plaster) and how have you decided to address it? Pictures of Kenzie would be OK, I suppose... ;) . And also Eden (but hey! no pressure)! Ei is probably trying to come to terms with the duties of her new job... ?? Nurse Ratchet will return when she's satisified with the torture of primary schoolers... Taryn is probably engrossed in "job stuff", too.

And Marian... what's goin' on with you? I meant to share that when I was a kid "high summer" was heralded by the appearance of Indian paintbrush. They were the ones with orange outer petals and yellow centres. Their yellow counterparts were not "Indian Paintbrushes". They coincided with the arrival of low bush blueberries. I recall being sent outdoors in the morning to pick blueberries for my cereal. The dew as cold on bare feet, but eating puffed wheat with berries in the morning sun was pretty good!

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hi Chelone, I am recovering from my company. Although the 5 of them were only here from Saturday afternoon til Sunday after lunch, it took a toll on my strength,( physically and mentally), and left me pooped! Maybe more of that "post partum" stuff...you reckon?
    I'm just not used to all that activity and noise!

" Mally " is still returning most every night. I am so afraid a varmint is going to get him, but there is nothing I can do about it.

It has warmed up considerably here. Went from highs in the 20s and 30s to a high of around 60 today. This in it'sself is hard on the body! I hardly even need to keep a fire tonight.

At least, I can go to town tomorrow without worrying about Nolon staying warm. :-)

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hello , hello to everyone. I noticed today that Monday seems less grim when you know you are taking Thursday and Friday off. So Monday this week is really Wednesday. I went out into the larger office where my staff is and asked them if they had had any tragedies today , and they all said "no" ! Yipee a non-eventful Monday, and we needed one.

bug, your tree pic almost made me pine for snow (almost) . Picture postcard beautiful, especially with that faint glow and shadow at the base. Sorry you cant make it to the thumb-fest at Deannes !

T, how I despise car crapola ! Mine is a 2003 with about 37k miles on itI will let it get between 50 and 60 and then get a new one. Should take me about two years Ill start saving $$ for it next year. That rain you had is headed my way ! We are to get a storm coming in tomorrow pm and rain till Thursday evening. Im very impressed that you toughed it out working in the rain. This was definitely a character building activity, and you have a lot more character than I do !!!

Michelle, wow re: the tip in FG .. Youre famous ! And wallpaper damage ? I hear you .Thats why its taken me 6 months to get my bathroom painted.

Chelone, I loved your tale of the trusted auto mechanic. You have totally demonstrated the best attributes of locally owned and operated businesses, and the importance of building relationships. And AAA ? Its worth it for the maps alone ! Ive always loved maps, dont know why. I like to look at them, study them etc. I go down to triple A a couple times a year and get maps; I like to keep one in the house and one in the car. I also buy DD and DS memberships every year.

Cynthia, love your alphabet doggie shotof course that is not only V for oliVe but V for V. ! I can just see those pups jockeying for position .

Chelone, I need to order my priorities because Feb 12 is Abe Ls birthday, but it is also DDs birthday ! Who is the author of the GW bio you are reading ? I really enjoy bios but dont read enough of them .I guess the real problem I have is with leisure time and how to ration it dont think Im alone here .So many things I want to read/do/explore, but only so much time. Anyway, on bios, last one I read was a Mozart last year. Sometimes I think you need to read more than one per individual to get a clear view.

Marian, maybe you will enter into a co-owner relationship with Mallys folks ? If he is returning every night, he must be finding something at your house that he is not getting at his.
    And, sometimes the best thing about company is when they leave ! I love my family but it sure is nice to have some peace and quiet after a raucous visit.

OK Idylls, I gotta go have dinner ---peace-out

Kathy in Napa

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good morning that just feels warmer. Yesterday broke down and wore lined jeans to work. Just couldn't get myself into "business" clothes with minusheavenknowswhat temps. Today, maybe in the 30's! Wahoo!

Good to see you T, and know that the grandbabies are progressing nicely. Sorry about the car. I am a stickler for regular maintenance and paid years in advance AAA membership. It's a professional hazard not to do both. Some of the nicest folks I've met on the road are the guys who know how to unlock cars without benefit of keys :-)

Not a big movie fan, have heard too much good stuff about Dreamgirls to not see it on the bigscreen. Also want to see Breach but will wait 'til I can do so in my own living room.

No seeds started, yet. Next weekend. Am really trying to pace myself and not start things too early. Too many broken plants in the past from light deprived leggieness, even under lights.

Not much to report, thankfully. Am absolutely anxious about getting my brother's hearing over with, though. All good thoughts tomorrow morning will be appreciated.

Zooming off into the fray ....

Martie

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone! I hope you all have weather as nice as mine. It was absolutely wonderful out this morning. I have been gathering commuter clothes and my latest purchase was a Squall stadium jacket from Land's End. It has windbreaker properties, but has a hood and a soft thinsulate lining. Perfect for what feels like a spring morning. I highly recommend it for anyone who has to stand on a windy train station platform. Or for tromping around outside. I am looking forward to March, and it is right around the corner. I think that my roses I ordered from Pickering will be arriving at the end of March. I got a Vilchenblau for my mom which I plan to give her for mother's day, a Sweet Bess, and one other one I can't remember. I will have to check my order. I am so excited to see my garden this year, because I moved a lot of plants to new areas and am looking forward to seeing if they like their new home better than the old one. I just wish I had planted some crocus or snowdrops.

Martie, my thoughts are with you today. Hope all goes as well as you wish.

Sue, I hope Zoe is doing better. And that the surgery issue works out. Somehow I can't find your posting with details of what happened with the insurance company, but hope it gets straightened out.

V, did you bring Olive home? A couple of weeks ago my daughter and SIL were at a restaurant and there was a cat hanging around their car, meowing. They went inside, came out, it was still there. SIL asked the workers about it, and they said it had been there all day. My daughter got in the car and it jumped in her lap... They took it home. The vet said it is perfectly healthy, and 8 mos old. My SIL thought it was an old abandoned cat that he was going to offer shelter for the last couple of years of its life. It also explains why he was leaping on their other two cats, and playing so much. It is a very cuddly cat. They were going to name it OH Boy... because that is the name of the restaurant, but settled on Ziggy.

Deanne, I just loved your fluffy birdy card. He was adorable. I have noticed little bugs on my Elephant ears that are determined to sprout in the basement. Must be that time.

T- hope your car is fixed quickly and inexpensively. I am looking at getting new shocks and struts on my car. I have been driving Skip's van to work, and I don't like to drive a big car like that.

Michelle, nice to see you! Good for you on getting projects completed before the warm weather. I thought I might get my kitchen finished before spring. We will see. Roof is leaking in three places, so that will probably be next project. Skip spent a month working on it last fall, but it must not have taken. I think He is going to have a major job on his hands. He took the whole roof off of one area right to the rafters, but it still leaks. I wouldn't have a clue how to fix that.

Kathy, your front garden is really shaping up. And that camellia is huge! Is that a normal size? I don't think I have ever seen one in real life before, just the flowers.

I am out of time, hi to those I missed!

D.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hey...everyone in Idyll-land, Watch your water heaters. Ours went on a rampage last night. The water was boiling hot, and scalded my hand! I shut it off at the breaker, but it remained steaming hot all night...even after we had ran a bunch out! Thank God it didn't do that when our company was here. We could have had a badly burned GD.
    That heater has had issues for some time... but before... it would shut it's self off. I bought a new one last summer. It is setting in the utility room waiting to be installed. I will find a contractor to do that today. I just hope Nolon doesn't try to do something while I am in town... He is becoming more and more unstable.
    I have a lot of stuff to move out of the way, before anyone can get to the old heater.

Drema, is that 'bugs' or 'buds' on you EE ? I hope not 'bugs' . :-)

TTYAL
    Marian

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

'Member me? I'm amazed at how hard it is for me to get here anymore! I don't always have much interesting stuff IMO to tell you so I keep waiting till I have better material to share I guess.
    Life has been good-lots of exciting stuff coming up with job changes for Chris. We are also contemplating a house move so we're trying to scale down and organize the junk.

I am so loving the people I work with. It's weird because I'm staff but I'm also a school parent so I don't always know if I fit in in certain situations( I don't want to appear nosy when the school gossip starts flying and I'm sitting there in the teacher's lunchroom-I guess you'd have to be there to understand). Anyway,the funnest thing recently was a murder mystery dinner that one of the teacher's threw at her home for staff/faculty a couple Saturdays ago. Maybe it was a type of initiation but my character ended being a burlesque dancer(!) so I had to come up with a costume....yikes. I went the safe route and picked a burlesque costume from the 1800's-you know,like a can-can girl? That way I was *dressed*!! Naturally that was during the below zero weather-nothing like teetering on heels and slick ice on the way into her house. lol. A very fun time was had. Neither Chris nor I were the murderer but it was really a fun and different way to spend an evening sleuthing and socializing. The hardest part was that you had to remain in character for the whole party.
    Have any of you gone to one of those professsionally done murder mystery dinners or weekends? Imagine the idylls at one of them-now that would be interesting!

Eden! If you still have your Clerodentron Ugandense now is an excellent time to take cuttings-they root fairly quickly when you use the new growth and root them in water. I hope the mites didn't do yours in.

See? this happens every time-it's already time to go to work so I need to stop: ( Hi to all.
    BTW I think I am behind on bday wishes-Taryn, I owe you one(I think) and Chelone too(thanks for asking about me)! I will try tonight-cross your fingers.

Sue sorry about your aunt and the health issues you are dealing with as well.

~Babs
    aka: Roxy Liquer; )

• chelone
    17 years ago

We participated in one of those murder parties way back in the '80s. We LOATHED it, Babs. (lol)... too contrived and afterwards we all agreed it was "too hard"... it would have been way more fun to just hang out and party down. If the Idyllettes opt for that venue I'll graciously bow out, thanks. ;) It's great to know you're liking your work and the environment. Now, Ratchet, what's with the house move??? (it's nice to hear from you!)

Presently reading: "George Washington, A Life" by Willard Sterne Randall, Henry Holt and Co., LLC, c. 1997. My thoughts are as follow: can be a bit "dry", but interesting nonetheless. Wish there were some color plates of artwork or photograps of Mount Vernon. And couldn't agree more with respect to read more biographies to get a good picture of the time and the focus of the biography. One size does not fit all! I've read 2 biographies of Eliz. I and one of Henry VIII and his wives, also a biography of Mary I, Edward VI, and Lady Jane Grey... only now are the characters and their relationships to each other becoming clear without referring to the geneological charts.

Like you, Marian, I worry about "varmits" and our cats. But I always wind up shrugging and putting my faith in "the odds". They're here to do a job... catch and destroy rodents. They have to be outdoors to do it; even when it makes me nervous. Careful with the hot water, kiddo!

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I just can't get out of Wal Mart without a plant following me home. Last time it was a pot of pink tulips, today it was an EE bulb and an Anthurium. I saw a lovely big Aechmea that I would love to have, but I'm running short on space!

Hi Babs!

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Quick fly-by greetings tonight ... rain is on the horizon, and tommorow is my Friday---first pto of 2007. Meetings after meetings tommorow.
    Drema, re: Camellias, they really do get huge-larger even than what you see in my pic. People will often train them into standards and they develop into basically a small tree. At Descanso Gardens in So. Cal, there is a grove of very old Camellias that are probably close to 20 ft tall. Youu will see the individual specimans around Napa planted in the gardens of Victorians, obviously very very old plants, and quite large.

Hi Babs...

Marian, there is always room for one more !

Yeah Chelone, I'm not much for anything that requires "audience participation". Hate sing-alongs and the like.

Gotta go--ta' ta' for now

Kathy in NApa

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm