Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Tower Hill February 2009

saucydog
15 years ago

Enjoy a virtual tour of Tower Hill's Orangerie!

I liked this because it reminded me of Michelle's large spiky tree from her trip to Florida!

{{gwi:150066}}

It was very sunny, so it was tough to photo!

{{gwi:150068}}

{{gwi:150069}}

{{gwi:150070}}

Looking out over the systematic garden:

{{gwi:150071}}

{{gwi:150072}}

{{gwi:150073}}

{{gwi:150074}}

{{gwi:150075}}

{{gwi:150076}}

{{gwi:150077}}

{{gwi:150078}}

{{gwi:150079}}

{{gwi:150080}}

I liked this little series:

{{gwi:150081}}

If I had been dressed appropriately, they were guiding a tour of the gardens to show the damage from the ice storm. I guess I'll have to wait for warmer weather :)

Saucy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tower Hill's Gardens

Comments (8)

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Ooooo la la!!!! Fabu-fabu Saucy! What a treat! I REALLY need to get there, soon. So wonderful to see so many beautifully grown plants this time of the year. Marvleous and thanks so much for sharing these. A treat. I'm going to be coming back to enjoy again and again.

Deanne

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Saucy - what a wonderful tour for a cold grey day. I also enjoyed seeing the two men in your life. I don't think I've seen a photo of DH before? I love their interactions. This also brought back fond memories of IU2 and made me miss those we see little of these days (Babs, Honey etc.)

Mary

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Saucy, Great pics of Tower Hill. I think my favorite plant is the huge Angelwing Begonia.
    I got a chuckle out of the DS and DH. Our GDs love to do that 'rabbit ear' thing to their sisters in pics.
    Good to see those two. Was Sarah sick that day?
    I look forward to the pics of the gardens. I hope their ice storm damage was not as bad as here.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tour Saucy ! I might have to pencil in Tower Hill as one of my post IU6 tourist attractions. I see you even found a garden godess..Thanks for sharing !

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy, Tower Hill (and I) are 45 minutes from Deanne, and a little over an hour from Chelone - for planning purposes. I'm sure others in the area could chime in with must see garden excursions! Remember, you're always welcome at Terrapin Station :)

Hmm...this might just be Nick's Idyll debut. He and Jake had a good time and encouraged me to try to replicate the orangerie in the sunroom off the back of our house (Sarah and Wayne's is light years beyond mine, but the same idea).

Deanne, I'll treat you to lunch, anytime! I owe you that much :)

• chelone
    15 years ago

A solid 18" of snowplow scrapings precluded my egress this morning. What a shame! so what's an Idyllette to do until it's removed? Tour Tower Hill virtually, that's what!

I am quite taken by the statuary... as ususal. And there is a facetted terra cotta pot containing the "Michelle plant" that caught my eye, as well. I can almost smell the vegetation and feel the humidity (makes me think of Sue inhaling the smell of mulch at the flower show).

The "eye" shot is borderline spooky, Saucy... I really had to look twice at that one. But my favorite is the last in the series as I'm always a sucker for warm family shots. Nick has very expressive eyes. I'll bet it was a lovely tour. Now... when are you going to get some proper footwear and outfit yourself properly for New England winters? ;)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

In reviewing your pics....I am drawn to the fish and frog in the pond...... I like to take those kind of pics.
    And I discovered that that is a squirrel on the front of the boy statue.:-)

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm so jealous that you have such a wonderful place to get a little greenery fix during the winter. The pictures of the "guys" are great. Thanks for taking us along.

Michelle

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz