Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctlavluvr

Idyll #355 - The Leap Into March?

ctlavluvr
16 years ago

At the rate we're going, this Idyll may not get to February 29, but carry on .....

Comments (100)

• chelone
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can only hope the world will benefit...

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

What a mess!!!!

• chelone
    16 years ago

How come the little rodent isn't feeding himself?

I thought he was capable of that basic function.

TWMPB, indeed.

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a hoot that Kenzie and Cynthia are kindred cake spirits :=P that icing!!!!

Thanks for the thoughts about dog parks. The "work" didn't take long, and via email they let it be known that "Obedience training certificates must be presented, along with proof of vaccination or a vet's waiver for same to be awarded a Park Pass. If training has not been done, the owner must bring their dog(s) [rules say not more than two at a time ever and no kids under 13 or puppies under 5 months] to the Park where they will need to follow basic commands to the satisfaction of the Monitor on duty prior to being receiving a pass." Sounds reasonable to me.

Was thinking of Drema today and am hopeful she'll post some Charlie pics, soon. Since we haven't heard from Kathy, do you think???????

Ummmmmmm, this is why there are highchairs, Reed ....... LOL Love the bathtub idea; we used one of those plastic "rugs" for under rolling office chairs beneath Ky's. One of the best baby gifts (from someone else's experienced grandma) that he got.

Thought of you, Denise, while I was sitting inside today looking at all that snow and wishing like I could weed. Too soon to start most seeds, so will need to be content with repotting houseplants that probably are just fine, but what the heck ;-)

How sad that you can't get to the Towers, Denise. Not quite what the riots wanted to accomplish, yes???

Thanks for that recipe, Wendy! Rich recognized you in the pic, and sends hi's to everyone.

Nice big bone-in pork roast with onion and potato and carrot is in the oven. My butcher "knows" and leaves a good amount of hardfat on the outside in which to rub rosemary. Simple New England food is just the thing for today.

Hoping everyone can feel Marie's part of the orb!! (I love the sound of ice cracking!! One of nature's things that can't be duplicated..) Teen-aged neighbor girl came over today to be sure we would be celebrating the Equinox together.

It's catching!! Pass it on!!

Martie

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

See V.
    See V walk. Walk, V, walk.
    See the frozen water.
    See V jump.
    Jump, V, jump.
    See V fly.
    Fly, V, fly.
    Splat!

It was a quite ungraceful landing on my knees, then slo-mo onto my belly. The right knee discovered that there was a lot of water under all that snow. Fortunately, it was above freezing so my jeans did not freeze as we finished our walk. Only a slight bruise on my dignity...

We saw lots of tracks (deer, rabbit, coyote and racoon) and found Mr. Coon curled up in his den at the base of a large oak tree. He was doing his best imitation of a piece of furry bark and the dogs did not spot him there.

Monique's dessert looks fabu-fabu, and the group looks wacko-wacko! I know you all had a wonderful time and I really wish I had been there. When I get thrown out of town, I will move out to the northeast, ok?

Martie, there are several dog parks around the Chicago area. I've never been to one (we sort of have our own dog park right here with lots of land and two labs!) but there have been several articles in the paper and they have all been positive. As Cynthia mentioned, good rules are key.

Time to shovel out the house a little. It's amazing what will accumulate over time.

V.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Marty is a good sport! I like the idea of a fountain theme for the photos.

Kenzie is a girl after my own heart.

I am having second thoughts about the joys of grandchildren though after seeing baby bugs dining habits :)

Darn close match:

{{gwi:149827}}{{gwi:150169}}

Waiting to see if Vincent greyhound is actually returned at 7:30 tonight. We've been giving this woman 'permission' since November. Yesterday, she said she'd bring him to me at 7:30 tonight. Finger's crossed. Jerri knows this feeling.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Mr Baby has arrived with the requisite number of fingers and toes, a little after midnight this morning. As it happened, DD did not have to be induced after all, she started having contractions on her own very early Saturday morning. Her labor was pretty long, but she feels really good about the whole experience-sounds like the staff at the hospital were all very friendly and supportive . So her journey though pregnancy is over and a much longer journey has begun.

Many nice photo-ops this weekend-the nose-thumbing drooler pic is priceless. Sounds like a great time and great food in NH this weekend. And thanks to Wendy for posting the Parmesan Shortbread recipe.

In lieu of Mr Baby pics (which I have none of at this point) I was going to join the blueish green wall group with my own entry. I am having issues with Photobucket-the resize does not seem to work this evening .Jeesh. Maybe tomorrow.

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Nana Kathy! Welcome to the club. In 8 months, perhaps your daughter will use the highchair with the little one. I hope you get a photo of Mommy and baby soon.

Reed does use the highchair. I have witnessed it! I'm not sure why DSIL preferred the "goose stuffing" method of feeding him. Perhaps because he fed his first son through a belly tube for the first two years? I'm certain there will be other eccentricities along the path to "adulthood". (Would someone please tell me when that is?)

V, I hope no bruises appear overnight...Do be careful young lady! Sometimes seeing tracks is fun, but here it is mostly rabbit tracks leading up to devoured roses, berberis, clematis, and other expensive plants.

Cynthia, so clever you are!! That photo is wonderful! Certainly enlarges your foyer.

Kenzie's 3rd birthday photos are perfect for the album Michelle!

Tomorrow DH returns. He had a big day today playing hockey and swimming with the family of 4. I'm glad! I hope to get in a shower-without Phoebe- before his return.

Here is DD's front yard...Spring has not arrived there either it seems.
    {{gwi:150173}}

Good night!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Welcome to the world Mr. Baby!

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out what Reed is eating. Scrambled eggs maybe?
    Wyatt told me this morning that I make the best scrambled eggs. Better than moms or dads. LOL

Kenzie was doing a taste test Michelle. LOL I guess you could just keep restarting her corn seed LOL.

I've enjoyed a relaxing hour reading and looking. I needed that after a noisesy weekend with the boys visiting. We did get outside for a walk ( I managed to stay on my feet V) to the creek and around the fields. Didn't see many wild animal tracks though. The dogs were wild that we were out with them. Jake jumped into a brush pile and hid but Rebel found him easily.
    Anyway I'm tired as usual. I should post in the morning so I could do better.
    Here's hoping Frosty doesn't hang around to long. Norma
    {{gwi:150174}}

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Welcome Mr Baby. Good to hear that his arival went well Kathy. Congratulations! Norma

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome to the world, Mr. Baby!! Glad DD is doing well, and must say I admire your perceived calmness, Kathy. Plant something in his honor :-)

Martie

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all,

It's going to be a lovely 40 degree sunny day here. I'll be relegated to the basement as I've got a ton of work to do. I didn't get anything done last week because I was polishing up party central in preparation for our party. Im still laughing too Chelone!

Kathy, congratulations on the arrival of Mr. B! Glad to hear mom and baby are fine.

Cynthia, love that image! It looks like that corner with the table and flowers belongs in the salon.

V. hope you arent bruised today! Ive started wearing those Yak-tracks out in the back lately after I fell on the ice a couple times.

OK lots to do today, waving hello to everyone! Have a terrific day all!!!

Deanne

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Woo Hoo! Put the kids on the bus back to school! I have a Dr.'s appointment and I expect when I return back to the "office" Nick will be gone, too. Ahhh, peace....

Welcome to the world Mr. Baby!

Norma, those boys look so proud :) Of course your scrambled eggs are better....

Cynthia, we'll have to morph my kitchen in there somewhere :)

I don't know why I smiled and didn't make a face, Michelle....I make enough goofy faces without posing, I guess :)

Martie, I kept meaning to snap a picture of the water in my backyard to compare to yours...it has now receded, but we could have had a duck pond :) The ORB is spreading sunshine throughout my house and plant and animal life are all basking in its rays. I have been too busy to plan Logees....if you plan a trip let us know.

Deanne, thank you for a wonderful time....black bean salad will be posted this afternoon!

Time to get this show on the road :)

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Congratulations Kathy! Wonderful news that all went well and DD and Mr Baby are healthy and happy! Another grandbaby on the Idylls. Weight? Hair Color? Looking forward to photos. Lots of excitement at your house!! :-) pm2

{{gwi:150175}}

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

So good to hear that the new GB has arrived safe and sound without being induced. Congrats Kathy.
    The sad news is.... that the neighbor's wife passed from this world before midnight saturday night. So the cycle of life continues.......

Sunday morning, while Nolon was getting ready to go to our AM meeting, the neighbor man drove in to tell us that she was gone. So sad, but I am glad he chose to share it with us.

Norma, I love the pics of the boys and their snowman. They are handsome fellows!

V, I hope you are not black and blue this morning.

LOL Chelone, " little rodent" !!!!
    It's funny but I was thinking 'corn' but scrambled eggs make more sense.

Marie, I like the igloo. We used to build them when I was a child.

The closest I have came to the blue/green scheme is the outfit I wore the other day...:-)

I don't think we are going to have much sunshine again today. This is beginning to 'taste of the keg'!

Marian

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Yikes V Im so sorry; do we think its contagious hey, misery loves company, you can use either shoulder were in it together! Its amazing how these things never plan themselves in an orderly fashion; Ive become superstitious about spending money (even on things you plan for) because somehow it seems to instigate the unexpected to heap on top of your bills!

Denise love those DH photos; I bet yo had a fantastic trip full of memories.

Cynthia I do love that color and boy, it does seem similar to both Eden & Chelones choices Ive been contemplating one along those lines too in the F.R.

I can see why one would h ave a party-hangover, LOL, from a convergance of idyllers. Yum as usual.

Michelle, Wow Kenzie is looking so grown up! Thanks for the tip re the rate my space Id never heard of it and I believe I saw a marvelous potting shed that looked familiar youd been doing a lot of decorating in there and not shared with us! It looks truly marvelous, shabby chic just as it should.

Congrats, Kathy, on adding to the Idyll photo ops w/ a new baby addiion.

Okay, gotta face the day and (more!!!) files/boxes that have overtaken my work space thats what happens I guess in revenge for me being out Friday.

Cindy

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Morning, Not doing a very good job keeping up but I do love all of the pictures. Looks like a really fun time was had at Deanne's Thumb Your Nose party. And lots of Idyll little ones pictures too.

Kenzie couldn't be any sweeter, Michelle.

Norma, Jake and Wyatt are such handsome boys and what a great snowman that is! They look to be such nice boys too!

And oh that Reed, lol. Quite the mess maker he is, but such a doll!

We had our big Isabella's Third Birthday Bash weekend here. Saturday Brad and I took her to Build A Bear and yesterday was her party. It was all such fun and she loved every minute.

She picked a dog to stuff, not a bear. Here she's putting in his heart.
    {{gwi:150176}}

{{gwi:150177}}

At the fluffing station, fluffing his fur
    {{gwi:150178}}

She's got him all packed up and ready to go
    {{gwi:150179}}

Birthday party
    {{gwi:150180}}

{{gwi:150182}}

Kathy, congrats on the arrival of Mr. Baby. I guarantee you'll be crazy about him. None of the rest of us were big on kids either, until we got our own grandbabies. You'll see. What's his name???

Brad's getting ready to leave for work so I have to run. TTYL, Eden

• just_t
    16 years ago

Wow! I was behind 5 days so now everything is a jumble in my mind from playing catch up reading.

V, hope you aren't sporting bruises nor residual pain from your fall.

Welcome to Mr. Baby! I was present for 2 of my grandsons' births (DD and DSIL weren't sure that DSIL could stay upright and coach during the deliveries so my presence was requested--I found it fascinating to be one of the first to 'meet' my grandsons).

Cynthia, add my name to those who absolutely love to see the glimpses of your home that you share. Loved the photo of the gathering and hope (greedy woman that I am) that there will be more photos shared.

The timber company that owns the land behind our property is logging. They began about 3 weeks ago and have harvested quite a large area so far. As of today, there is still a buffer of forested land between our property line and their machinery. I have taken photos and will see about uploading some pics (if any are 'good').

Okay, 'nuff written for now---I 'need' more coffee!

Hello to all!
    T.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I made it to work, but it remains questionable if I will make it home. It was raining and is supposed to turn to snow with 30 mph winds. This is just such a fun winter.

Congratulations to the new grandma! We really do need more details though.

Bellas birthday looks like it was lots of fun. Is that a Scooby Doo dress? Did great-grandma make it? Kenzie ended up with a Build a Monkey with a cheerleader outfit.

I have a bluish green upstairs bathroom, but it is a much more intense color.

Norma, those boys sure look alike! Do you get much snow in your part of MO? Im not sure what part of the state you live.

Marian, my sympathies on the loss of your neighbor. As I recall she wasnt all that old.

A former neighbor of ours recently won $1,000,000 in the Iowa lottery on a scratch ticket. I didnt realize you could win that much on a scratch ticket but I understand the tickets are $20. Im not a gambler so I dont know much about it.

bug, Reed looks like he enjoys eating and Daddy enjoys feeding him. I like the picture where hes looking at the camera with the expression "why are you taking my picture now?" We have lots of evidence of rabbits as well. At least they are leaving some fertilizer for the shrubs that they are eating. Our snow is just so deep Im sure theres nothing else for them.

The following is an email from my sister in Madison WI last week: Have you ever felt like you live in a snow globe and someone will not stop shaking it? Well, that was my thought on the way into work today. We may live in one of the best cities but this winter it is 'officially' one of the snowiest as well. We broke the all time record for snow fall in WI history. We have over 85 inches of snow and it is not stopping. A quick calculation for you - that is over 7 feet! The old record was only 76 inches and they are predicting that we may hit 100 inches before spring.
    It has been crazy:
    * two weeks ago over 2,000 cars were stranded on the interstate for over 18 hours, they had to have black hawk helicopters bring them food and water
    * we ran out of salt for the roads because the barge was frozen on the Mississippi river
    * the schools have ran out of snow days and we will now be making up the time in June.
    On the brighter side, I guess it was good that I let my husband buy a four wheeler with a plow on the front this last fall. We have definitely gotten good use out of it. Plus, only 32 days until spring! (This was last Monday so you can deduct 7 more days)

So I guess it isnt so bad here after all, have a great Monday!

Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Oh Eden, not only are you a fabulous involved Nana but you record it all so well! I thought you might like the way this Mom records her gang. I believe she home schools them too. See below. I would have loved to Build a Bear! Maybe I'll get my chance with Reed in a few years?

Phoebe is keeping me mighty busy, but at least I got a shower and shampoo in this morning. Oy, the nipping though. She's much slower than Charlotte was at adjusting to her leash. It will happen. I've been working on come, sit, down, and stand and mixing up the commands. Probably mixing up the puppy too, but we'll get there. OFF is the biggest and most urgent deal for me though! The next big deal will be to get DH to be consistent with what I have achieved so far. He can be so stubborn about doing stuff HIS way!!! I'd really like a few hours this afternoon to go shop...without my furry appendage. Yesterday I took her for a very short drive, just so she'd adjust to the car some more. She was fine, but hated the airplane overhead.

How is Monty?
    How is V?

DH returns shortly, so there will be laundry and lunch to prepare.
    CHIRP!
    'bug

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Michelle, thanks for that report from your sister. It is certainly interesting. I read it to Nolon and he commented on it too. I cannot imagine having 7 feet of snow! How would I find my way to the woodshed! I hope there are not lots of lives being lost because of it.
    The neighbor was 67. She was the breadwinner for the couple. He has a very bad heart and had several stints and a pacemaker installed. He is 2 years younger. She was also a hairdresser, and had cut our hair a few times. I had been thinking of enlisting her services this winter....
    He will be moving back to his former town of Springdale,AR.
    A daughter has a condominium there and is planning on getting him into one.
    The only good thing about it is that 2 differant locals are interested in buying the land and they are both very good neighbors. I will probably be less fearful of a runaway fire getting us, if that happens. The land was ours originally, but we have no need for it, and I don't imagine our son is interested in it. The 'zipper house' will go back to the company that made it.)

Eden, your pics are special...I espacially like the second one. Bella's expression is so sweet. She is a doll! I don't think my DGs ever had a bear making birthday party. They were usually booked at Chuckie (sp) Cheese, and I was never there with them.

The wind is horrendous today, and out of the east but predicted to shift to from the west. Anything lose will be down or moved! More rain in the forecast and the possibility of snow in the higher elevations...( that means us). Will March be any better???

Good to hear from T, but sorry about the timber cutting. I hope it does not get too close to your property.

Marie, I sure do not envy you and your puppy! Not my 'cup of tea'! Not even 10 years ago!

I am wondering what has spooked our cats. Neither of them went out all night. Tommy went out briefly this forenoon but never left the porch. Trubby has still not gone out. I am wondering if some large varmint was sighted near our house. Maybe a bear or a couger ??? Such behavior is totally unlike them. Calliecat has showed, and seems uneffected, but at her age she is getting oblivious to what is going on around her. ( She will be 17 in April.)

Marian

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

V. is okay this morning. No bruises and only teeny little aches. But I think I've broken my grumpy bone. Or perhaps it's the latest winter storm warning that's got me in a bad mood. I'm not looking forward to the freezing rain and 6-8 inches of new snow that Michelle is sending my way!

Eden, I agree with Marian that the look on Bella's face in the second photo is just wonderful.

Congrats, Kathy, on the safe and successful arrival of Mr. B!

The more I look at Chelone and Cynthia's photos, the more I think the large basement wall could become that color. I ordered samples of the Flor tiles that I liked, and think that this Saturday will involve a field trip to a local flooring store.

While we were out for our walk yesterday, we looked at the area outside the door where the water came in. We had regraded, added drainage, et cetera, et cetera several years ago and thought we had the problem solved. Well, (long deep breath) I think the overall drainage got changed last summer when we added the pond, and we created a "cereal bowl" in this area that holds the water in. Drat.

Double drat - there are snowflakes outside my window. Bright side - they are snowflakes and NOT freezing rain.

Two signs this weekend that kids do mature eventually. #1 - DD called to say that, after making fun of her mother for years, she has now found herself choosing to listen to NPR. #2 - DS actually went to visit DD!

Strange but true...

V.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

V., now you're doing the "Jimmy likes Elaine" third-person thing, which has crept into this household too, as in "Duncan brought home an A on his biology test this week," which somehow strikes him as an appropriate rejoinder when asked to vacuum the rugs.

'bug, I've also been following the Highline, which Mitch visited at my instigation while in NYC, but had no idea Piet O. was involved!

Don't quite know how to put this...but I'm wondering if that spring forecast isn't just a wee bit overly optimistic for some of you...Winter this year just seems to be taking itself so seriously, it seems unlikely the handoff to spring won't go without a fight. Heard something on NPR about using a mixture of beet juice as a road treatment in lieu of salts...

Nice to see Miss Bella again. And...good morning, Mr. B!

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Cynthia, everytime I scroll past your forsythia it makes me want to go out and bring some in. Then I forget again. Hope to see more spring things happening in your yard soon. I had to go out and work on the front pond this morning. So many leaves had blown in and ice frozen on the edges that I was losing water somehow. I was afraid to shut the pump off with such low water volume so some clean up was necessary. The snow is melting today, and when it is gone I am going to have to get a bunch more leaves cleaned up. The storms and wind we have had thrown in our weather mix this year just keep bringing the leaves up over the hill from the woods.

PM2, I wanted to comment on the snowny tree picture you shared. I like the way the snow has formed on the branches. Very pretty. I hope your DH and DD are feeling better by now.

Marian, you are right, it seems as we though when there are new arrivals on earth a few more pass on. And so it goes. I feel for your nieghbors loss.
    I hope whatever is spooking the cats moves on quickly.

Michelle, we get quite a few snows each winter but not so many deep ones as we used to. We are about 60 miles west of St Louis. Our weather is pretty crazy because the jet streams can fluctuate so easily one way or another over us.
    I hope you make it home safely. Wow on the winning scratcher. Thats pretty neat. Your sister has had quite the winter.

Martie, I imagine people remember that you are someone who can get things done. If my dogs didn't have the freedom they do I think I would like a dog park to take them to. Then again I could never get Rebel in the car. LOL

Chelone, I'm happy you made the decision to go to the Thumbs party. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Saucy, is it quite yet? LOL I told my DDIL yesterday that I didn't know how she puts up with them all the time. They really are good boys. They are just being kids. And they should be, they grow up so fast.

Jerri, how are you feeling today?

Bug, I imagine you are feeling much like a new mom, even though you love the little ones (pups or kids) you could use a little rest and alone time.

Cynthia, did Vincent show up?

Wendy the shortbread sounds yummy. I am not doing any more baking for awhile though. If its here I eat it. :(

Deanne,That was a nice photo of the cedar waxwing. Its amazing to watch them descend on a tree full of berries.
    I hope work won't keep you away to long.

Cindy, is that you behind those stacks of boxes? How long will you an Chloe have to remain out of the house while it is being treated?

Happy third birthday to Bella! Thats a winning smile in the fluffing station picture. I bet she will treasure her new dog. Has she named him?

Hi T, I hope the loggers leave enough of a buffer to keep your hillside from washing out. I would be bumming out about it. I wonder if the elk will move out now or if they will have more to graze on.

I need to get some more paperwork done, so I'm outta here for now. Norma

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hello everyone

My goodness what a lot I've missed.

We arrived back last night after a fabulous week in DC. It was great to see Ruth, BIL and Ivan and Iris. We spent our time at museums, on the capital mall, a day of skiing, walks and just hanging out. At night we cooked big meals together, drank lots of wine and talked and played games. Our time flew by as fast as these Idylls.

A big surprise was a phone call from our brother who was in town and had an afternoon free on route to Malaysia. He lives in new Orleans with his family (unlike Ruth, his house suffered no damage during Katrina). We don't see nearly enough of him so it was a very special treat. We all went to the new Air and Space museum at Dulles airport which is amazing and my DH's and David's favorite museum.
    Here are the three of us:
    {{gwi:150184}}

At Ruth's house with Ivan and Iris
    {{gwi:150185}}

David and his cousins
    {{gwi:150186}}

It was rather hard to shift gears and be ready for school and work this morning but we made it and are easing back into our routines. Tonight is David's ski club, Annie's violin lesson and tomorrow my book group.

Wish I could comment to everyone but instead I'll send you all good thoughts.

Kathy - many congratulations on the arrival of Mr Baby and your new grandmotherhood oops! aunthood (are either of those words?)

Deanne - it looks as though you had a wonderful time together (love the pic). So sorry I couldn't make it.

Time to put together a hasty supper before our evening activities.

Mary

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

I'm not a baby person but contratulations to the Idyll grandmas out there. I don't see the fuss over Reed's egg breakfast. My furkids would make that all disappear in a flash! Isabella is obviously an extraordinary child to be picking a puppy out so soon. ;)

I got word that Max was given a sedative before his death. They did that because 'someone cared about him'.
    He's out of harms way now at least. He was actually a shepherd/lab Heinz 57 mix. If he had the slightest bit of a Pit look he would have been shot on sight. I won't get started on that! LOL
    I'm feeling better now. Just got back from the shrink who reminded me (again) of my irrational guilt issues. :-\

Jerri

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Hello, hello...catching up while I can. Waiting for an appointment with an orthopedic with DD in the morning, and having a very strange start to the week. But at least the week will go by fast.

Eden.....My begonias are also struggling along. The only two that I have left. [g] I had a third, a Rex, which developed some sort of powdery mildew over the winter and is dead now. I just love the Rexes but I just can't seem to keep them going. LOVE the photos of Bella's BD party! She is so adorable. So Bella and Kenzie are the same age?

Cindy....good luck next weekend with the 'fogging'. So, it sounds like the insurance adjuster has worked something out with the estimates you got for the work.? You must be pretty happy to at least be starting to get things back to normal.

Chelone.......also have real respect for anyone who sticks with it to actually learn a trade and become proficient enough to actually earn a living with their hands. Your Dad had a lot of wisdom.

Sue.....just saw a news segment on the surprising increase in the bear population in Massachusetts. Video of cute little bear cubs included in the linked story about it below.

Marian....so sorry about your neighbor. Very sad for her husband too. Nice he has you for neighbors.

Cynthia....I almost tried to make a joke about you carrying the two dogs up and down the stairs, but, I am not good at it and I am sure it would have come across wrong. [g] Those are not small dogs either! Seriously though, hope Monty is doing okay.

G'bug.....also found the photo of Phoebe hopping about so funny. I still say she is angelic, even with the nipping. [g] Our last dog went through obedience training and I spent a good year training him and he was such a joy. Much better trained than any other dog we ever had and it makes such a difference. Wish I had learned that a lot sooner. :-) Sounds like you are very experienced at this. I'm with you in admiration of the Highline. I just love to see any city spaces transformed into something growing. So, Oudolf is charming? Handsome too? [g] Enjoyed the link to the 'trenches' blog. Very well done.

Michelle....I tried that Cpap machine and I don't know how anyone can sleep with one one, but at any rate, it actually would wake me up more and I had headaches using it. Very disappointing, since I had heard so many people get relief with them, like your husband. Your Kenzie looks to have had a great party. I loved age three! OMG....to the 85 inches of snow! We are also beating records for snowfall this year, but our record is about half that! I can see why spring would be a real celebration this year...lol!

Rate My Space...never heard of that, sounds very helpful.

Newborns and relatives....we grew up with the concept that the baby shouldn't be exposed to germs the first month, which worked out great in getting that first thirty days to yourself and your new little one. Plenty of time for introductions later. :-) I was horrified to see a contestant on American Idol bring a week old baby to the auditions with all those people there.

Norma....Your grandsons really are very handsome and I bet they keep you busy! No snowmen at our house and I miss them. :-) Looks like fun at your house! Yes, I loved the way the snow formed on the branches of that tree, too.

T....that can't be fun to have logging going on behind you. Is that something that has happened before?

V.....don't you just love that when your kids decide to adopt something that they have been resisting for a long time? Such a 'YES!' moment...lol.

Mary...it has been years since we were in DC, but the Air and Space Museum is also my husband's favorite museum. Haven't been to the new one though. What a very happy and good looking crew you have there! The shifting gears after time off, is something we call 'Re-Entry' [g]

Jerri....So sorry to hear about Max. I am sure if there was irrational guilt there, it was mixed in with a lot of compassion. :-)

Running out of steam here and no energy to edit, so excuses ahead of time....thinking of Woody....and hoping everything will go well this week. Where is Ei this thread? Hello to everyone.. :-)

pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Oops! Forgot the bear link....

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I made it home, but it wasn't the best conditions. I've seen worse though.

There is certainly a family likeness between the 3 of you, Mary. Do you have siblings in England?

PM2, Kenzie was 3 in Nov, so she's a little older. I forgot to bring my camera to the party. These are pictures that the other Grandma gave to me.

T, I hope the loggers leave you a little privacy.

Michelle

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

OK, it's the big one. I'm redoing our bathroom and using Idyll green with white. It will be wonderful! If only DH would stay gone a little longer I could really get into trouble.
    The bad news is that I have to take down wallpaper. :(

Jerri

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I,too, am thinking of Woody. I pray that she is holding up okay.

PM2, now THAT is a post!! I believe you 'covered us all.
    :-) ( Norma did good also...)

Jerri, I am glad that you are feeling better . I sure could use a 'shrink' for my quilt feelings! And I 'know' I should not feel that way.

Mary, you have a good looking family. What a blessing to have had such a nice visit with them.

LOL, V, I think my 'grumpy bone' is permenantly damaged!

Michelle, I hope you made it home from work okay.

Norma, the cats finally ventured out...starting around 1:30, and then coming and going. I have wondered how they managed to not have to 'go' in such a long time, but found no evidence of any mishaps indoors. They seem in good health, thank goodness. Tommy walked up to the mailbox with Nolon and they met up with Sam the Great Pyrenees. Nolon said Tommy got quite irate and even acted as though he was going to attack Sam. LOL. Nolon said Sam just grinned.

The wind continues....

Marian

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

My roads weren't too bad but the snow continues to fall. We'll see what morning brings... (or should I write that V will see what morning brings?)

I've been a total slug this evening - seems like work totally wore me out today. Not sure why I am so tired, but there were things to be done here and they are still waiting to be done.

I got home to a couple of very excited dogs, and I realized my iPod was playing in the docking station. I asked the dogs how they had managed to turn it on, but they would not 'fess up. I finally realized all the digital clocks were flashing, so I've now discovered that a power outage will turn on the iPod when it's docked! I hope the dogs enjoyed my music.

Nice family photos, Mary. So good to have some family time. I'm starting to look forward to the kids being home for spring break in a few weeks.

Looks like this idyll will be history sometime early tomorrow morning.

Ei needs to sneak in quick! She's a late poster - come out, come out whereever you are!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Im afraid I dont have much more info on Mr Baby . He weighed in at about 7lbs and I dont remember how tall (long?) he was/is. The name is yet to be determined. DD told me what they think its going to be, but they havent filled out any paperwork yet so its still subject to change. DD is hoping to send some pics our way tomorrow. In any case, thank you all for your kind wishes and birthday greetings. It made me smile !

The rain has stopped at last, and I hope things will dry out enough to get the exterior painting done on this housethe final increment! I took a walk about the garden this evening and lo and behold I have tiny buds on several of my tulips. I suspect a closer inspection would reveal popping buds on trees and shrubs, but I spent an hour in the RV parking space sorting trash into the correct receptacles . Im afraid yet another dumpster is in my future.

Martie, I like your idea of planting something in Mr Bs honor, but it will have to be in a container ! One would not like to leave something like that behind in the move . Ill have to ponder this. We have a dog park here in Napa Ive only been once with a friend, and it was pretty nice. There is a fenced area and trails for leashed walking.

Norma, my scrambled eggs are also famous ! I find the pan used to be very critical, and the correct heat level . I try to create large fluffy blobs with very little moisture. Like to add chives or green onions too.

Marian, so sorry to hear of your neighbors passing. Its encouraging that her spouse has family to help him get relocated so that he wont feel isolated , particularly if his health is not the best.
    Cats are so intuitive arent they ? I guess that is a defense technique to be able to sense when there is a possible predator nearby. We dont have too many of those issues around here where I live, but the cats get very spooky when neighbors walk their dogs along the sidewalk in front of my house.and by the way, count your blessings that you have never been to Chuck E Cheese ! There is nothing that could compel me to step foot in one of those places again. Absolutely insufferable. (Apologies to Chuck E fans)

Michelle , V and all the snow bound storm victims Weve had quite a cold winter here (for us) but what a different way of life yall have in the low number zones.
    I noticed in bugs scrambled egg orgy Reed pics that Reed was in a shirtless ensemble and DSIL was in a t-shirt. This indicated to me that houses are kept warm ! Better insulated perhaps ? I have on a sweat shirt or fleece all day here ; only run the heat in the morning or evening-thermostat is 64 at the very highest .

Eden, its so nice to have you posting. Dont know what Build A Bear is , but I hope its more pleasant than Chuck E Cheese. Isabella is a very pretty little girl , even though she is under 25 and therefore suspect , lol !

Hello T ! I remember when DH and I took a driving trip on the Olympic peninsula , through Olympic Natl Park. It was interesting to see the clear cut areas juxtaposed with older growth. Here in NorCal ,logging is incredibly politicized, especially in the redwood forest areas, Humboldt and Mendocino counties in particular. Right now though, the mills are closing or downsizing because of the housing situation- there is no demand for lumber especially dimensional Doug Fir , and prices are very depressed.

Mary, what a lovely family !

Hi to PM, Deanne, Jerri, Deniseet all. I need to hang it up for tonight and have some dinner.

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

How nice to see the happy family time from Eden and Mary :)

Bella, you are too cute. My favorite picture in that series is 'all packed up.' She's got that 'I am so proud and happy' look on her face.

Maybe Mary can use Annie's shirt as a guide and create a little miniature tux for Mr. Baby. (I love Saucy's imagination.)

I planned to scan, not write tonight, but had to say something about the photos. Thanks for a lovely ending to my day. Until I remembered T's nearby tree carnage :(

• chelone
    16 years ago

A quick good morning to everyone as I "cool my heels" waiting for the "witching hour" so I may leave for work. I don't understand why it's so hard to have the work load organized/prioritized so I could simply take a work order and get going on without the necessity of long, drawn out verbal instructions? Too complicated, I suppose.

Welcome to Mr. Baby.

We saw, "Atonement" yesterday afternoon. It's a beautifully shot movie with a slightly creepy, tragic story line. Very entertaining. We enjoyed the soundtrak, too.

More inclemency on the way for us, too. It will likely end as all rain for us, but the mountains and areas further inland are going to get walloped again. On Friday, we had a visit from an old friend who used to help out with installations. He is now working toward his Captain's license and he works the tow boats on the upper Mississippi. He is now working the New Orleans area for precisely the reasons Michelle's sister mentioned.

I can't quite believe how grown up Kenzie and Bella are getting. I like the sense of unbridled joy you get from their pictures.

OK, gotta think about moving on to things more productive. Later.

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Happy storm-in-the-forecast morning. Snow then ice then rain = one big driving mess, but away we go! Such happy faces on this Idyll to greet me is just wonderful.

Mary -- You've got a look of delight at being "all together" that is palpable. I good the seeds and thank you profusely for them.

Kathy -- Maybe when you get to Oregon you can plant the Mr. B.'s arrival remembrance? Or you can borrow my Euc :-)

Denise - Beet juice instead of salt. In a picture this moment I saw tankers with red liquid happily squirting everything along the way. "Food for thought."

V: Well I'll be d&*med!! Good for your kids!! Good for You! I've been having a lot of sloggy evenings lately; think the combo of so many in the office being sick and the de-Orbed weather and NEED to get out into the gardens is stacking up. Back to Saucy's pics LOL

Chelone: Perhaps the instructions are a power thing to your boss; as in, "it's my business and so I have to treat everyone like kindergarteners and tell them exactly what to do????" You'd think by now that your true value to that every same business would be shining, and that she'd want you to use your skills in the way you think it'll work best. Sometimes little local businesses and megacorporations aren't all that different ....

(((Jerri)))

WAVE with water can in hand :-)

Martie

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Been out there in the snow with Phoebe. She discovered SOCKS this morning!

I too had a visual with the beet juice scenario. As a pedestrian, I was wondering about cleaning bills...and the stains. Yet the IDEA is appealing.

Kathy, house temperatures seem to be an eternal issue with families, at least wherever I have been. I am referring to your observations on Reed's "ensemble" and his Dad's. DD favors cool in her surroundings, DSIL warm. Since he is now the stay-at-home parent, the house is set at about 70F. DD suffers in that heat and does not understand why a sweater couldn't solve the problem. Well, she saves her annoyance for real issues...if that. She did manage to get DSIL to insulate their hot tub heavily, but having it at all is not her idea. She does see that it is heavily used and enjoyed, so lives with that.

Super to meet your family Mary!

Marian I wish your neighbor well. A tough situation, but it appears it will work out fairly well. Yes, a puppy is work and you need to be committed to training it so you both can be happy together. That's why everyone should NOT have a dog. I'm glad your cats bring you delight!

We had a pizza outing last night. Not an ordinary thing for us, but it was fun to get out to town and chat about our week's events and even pick up odds and ends at the L&M. (which is known by the in crowd as the Limp & Moldy.) Phoebe is trying to figure out how to be the center of attention with TWO people around. Not hard so far, since DH is still in bed!

Another day of answering important emails and making appointments. Phoebe is schedule for her second set of inoculations on March 10th. Then I'll be more comfortable about her socializing with other 4 footed beings.

Someone asked about the catalogue that caught my attention. It is Fraser's Thimble Farms which is on Salt Spring island in BC. They carry things that I certainly don't find locally but that do grow here. It is fun for me to read about erythroniums, corydalis, dodecatheons, hepaticas, epimediums etc. Mind you, I would never order any of the ones below. Look at the prices! I don't want to feed these to rabbits and groundhogs. I have bought simpler things from this outfit in the past and been pleased, but I know others have had bad experiences...losing huge amounts of money for very small plants. I would never spend the amounts they lose there. I read about one man who claims he lost $800 worth of orchids. There is an art to ordering plants by mail I think.
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

We're in the middle of another 'snow event'. It started around 11pm last night and isn't supposed to end until around midnight. I think we're supposed to end up with around 6 inches. That will bring us up to over 80 inches for this winter. A record I think.

Marie, I'm with your sil. I like the house warm and I don't like having to wear layers of clothing indoors. I enjoyed reading the blog that you linked. That mom has her hands full.

Michelle, no my mom didn't make Bella's Scooby Do dress, my sister did. That was the only Scooby material we could find at the fabric store. Bella loved it though.

I saw a news report on using beet juice earlier this winter. I think it works at lower temperatures than salt will. They've pretty much run out of salt here this year and what they're bringing in now is double in price. Our roads are in terrible condition here between the salt and the freezing and thawing. We have potholes almost big enough to swallow your car and the road crews are having a hard time keeping up with the patching.

Mary, great pictures of your family and nice to see Annie and David. I noticed how much Ivan and Iris have grown since they stayed with you too. Such cuties they are! Good to hear that you all had such a wonderful time together.

Cindy, you asked if I was going to get up a greenhouse this summer. Our main project will be putting a pergola over the patio. Maybe a greenhouse though if I run across a good deal:) My advice to you on your renovation is to relax and enjoy making the choices. Have fun with it.

Marian I wanted to mention to you that I always enjoy hearing you talk about your cats. Also how pretty that last puzzle you showed us was. It almost reminded me of a quilt. I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor.

Jerri, stories like Max just break my heart. I try to help out by clicking on the animal rescue site every day and donating to the humane society but I really admire you and Cynthia for getting out there and helping so many poor animals. It too hard to deal with the stupidity of people and resulting suffering of the animals for me.

Kathy, not a big fan of Chuckie here either. We did used to go alot when our kids were small though. Build A Bear is just as chaotic. Best not to go on the weekends I think. Kids love it though. I figure they have to suffer through all the boring places we drag them that we want to go so we should return the favor once in a while:)

After almost losing Megan from complications after Bella's birth I find it pretty trivial who visits, when or for how long. These days I'm just thankful when a child's birth can be a joyous occasion with no scary parts. I think we all take the miracle of birth for granted sometimes. I do try on a day to day basis not to give advice on child rearing to Meg unless she asks. I wouldn't have missed getting to spend the time I have with Bella for anything though. She's been such a gift to our family.

Norma, Bella named her stuffed dog Shaggy. She calls it a 'he' but chose all pink girly clothes for it and a purse too, lol.

Jenni, Meg and David are taking Bella to a place called Jeepers at the mall today to celebrate her real birthday which is today. It's a sort of indoor amusement park place. She'll love it. I'm glad I don't have to go though.

I just went back and read my post and there's sure a lot of mention of Bella. I think I need to get out more? I have to go see Brad off to work now so have a good day everyone and stay safe driving out there.

Eden

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Before I left for work this morning I did a quick shovel of the sidewalk. The end of the sidewalk was drifted at least a foot deep. I think I have shoveled this same foot of snow about fifty times this winter. I think it is the unrelenting winter weather that is wearing me down this year. Tonight I really need to get my behind in gear!

The beet juice has been used here for a couple of winters. We are dependent on ground water here and have some shallow aquifers, so they try to limit road salt as much as they can (although it's been tough this year!). When the beet juice is applied, you see a series of parallel dark lines on the road. They usually will apply it to areas such as bridges and intersections. I've heard from the public works guys that they are pleased with how it works.

Having had a couple of kids go through the Chuck E phase, I have to say that the only redeeming quality is that when the pizza or cake goes splat! on the floor, it's someone else's floor. Marian, if you would like to try there pizza, take a piece of cardboard, wave a piece of mozzarella cheese in its general direction and enjoy! Trust me, it's only a slight exaggeration!

I think tonight I will spoil myself with a pizza. That will be my reward for getting something done!

V.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Has anyone else tried this new bread recipe? I've made a couple of batches now. Great to have a nice fresh loaf of bread at dinner and it makes a good pizza crust too! (Much better than Chuck E Cheese :)

From Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery that Revolutionizes Home Baking by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois (Thomas Dunne Books, 2007). Copyright 2007 by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois.

Note: This recipe must be prepared in advance.

1-1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (about 1-1/2 packets)
    1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
    6-1/2 cups unbleached flour, plus extra for dusting dough
    Cornmeal

In a large plastic resealable container, mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm (about 100 degrees) water. Using a large spoon, stir in flour, mixing until mixture is uniformly moist with no dry patches. Do not knead. Dough will be wet and loose enough to conform to shape of plastic container. Cover, but not with an airtight lid.

Let dough rise at room temperature, until dough begins to flatten on top or collapse, at least 2 hours and up to 5 hours. (At this point, dough can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks; refrigerated dough is easier to work with than room-temperature dough, so the authors recommend that first-time bakers refrigerate dough overnight or at least 3 hours.)

When ready to bake, sprinkle cornmeal on a pizza peel. Place a broiler pan on bottom rack of oven. Place baking stone on middle rack and preheat oven to 450 degrees, preheating baking stone for at least 20 minutes.

Sprinkle a little flour on dough and on your hands. Pull dough up and, using a serrated knife, cut off a grapefruit-size piece (about 1 pound). Working for 30 to 60 seconds (and adding flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking to hands; most dusting flour will fall off, it's not intended to be incorporated into dough), turn dough in hands, gently stretching surface of dough, rotating ball a quarter-turn as you go, creating a rounded top and a bunched bottom.

Place shaped dough on prepared pizza peel and let rest, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it in lidded container. (Even one day's storage improves flavor and texture of bread. Dough can also be frozen in 1-pound portions in airtight containers and defrosted overnight in refrigerator prior to baking day.) Dust dough with flour.

Using a serrated knife, slash top of dough in three parallel, ¼-inch deep cuts (or in a tic-tac-toe pattern). Slide dough onto preheated baking stone. Pour 1 cup hot tap water into broiler pan and quickly close oven door to trap steam. Bake until crust is well-browned and firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven to a wire rack and cool completely.

Here's a link to some video demos of how easy it is. You can modify it too with whole wheat flour etc. The book has all kinds of recipes and variations.

Eden

• denisez10
    16 years ago

That's a nice, warm topic, summer projects, Eden's pergola. I'm still stuck on the design of the blasted side gate, since what I really want is a gatehouse hideaway with a built-in porch feel. Can never have too many hideaways, is my motto. And no, you can never say too much about Bella :-)

The phone land line is out again, since we had a mighty drizzle over the weekend. Seriously, our phone goes out everytime the sky goes slightly damp. I'm thinking of chucking land lines entirely and using the cells. Just have to keep better track of the blasted chargers, that's all.

Well, that's two days in a row, 'bug, you've got me thinking of my oldest brother, another Marty. First with Reed's breakfast photo, which brought me back to a visit in San Francisco with my bro at a Moroccan restaurant where, just back from years of traveling, he ate the couscous like a "native." Result looked a lot like Reed's photo except there was also a beard involved, lol. And Salt Spring Islands is where he lived for quite a while. Very nice plant list. And...I spent some time with the Notes From the Trenches link. Very well done blog, lovely photos. This blogging is so puzzling/fascinating to me. I told Mitch yesterday if Betty Friedan had a blog, the Feminine Mystique may have never been written! Doing research for the spring trip, I stumbled on a blog of a family that moved to Rome for a couple years, linked below. I was just reading of the Knights of Malta "floor of floors" recently, and this family made the trip and lots others. The boy took a mosaic class and produced some stunning results.

Dinner was planned with my second oldest brother tonight, flying in from Alabama on business, but he had to cancel. He took 50 business trips last year and seems resigned to them but still...frequent flier miles go to lots of visits with his kids from first marriage.

Great photos of a happy bunch, Mary.

Our house is also on the coldish side, which is why I grab my woolly robe the minute I cross the doorsill. Out in the office it's a must.

Thinking of Woody too, and everyone.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Quick update...Back from the orthopedic appt with DD. It's official, she has a separated shoulder and will be in a sling for the next 3-4weeks. We are grateful that it wasn't worse for sure. Didn't enjoy looking at the xray of the angle of the collar bone and the news that it probably will always be that way from this point on. A little different than a bone break that can be set and cast to heal. So, no driving, computer use pretty limited. Than PT for about 10 weeks? DH started antibiotics on Sunday which seem to be kicking in, so that is progress.

Four more days and it will be March and I can't wait until it is warm enough to go sit in the sun!

Hope the day is going everyone's way...

:-)
    pm2

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

PM, does "no driving, computer use, pretty limited" mean forever, or until the month is over? You need spring badly, I can see!

Well I lied. I broke down and ordered some plants today. Even a clematis and some roses. Nothing from Fraser's though, maybe later...to spread out the pleasure.

The floor of floors is fascinating, but as an 8 year old, I was disturbed by the gloom as I was dragged from gloomy grey place to gloomy grey place. It is different now, and I miss the fact that Mom is no longer around to share her wealth of information. First thing that comes to mind is Siena. I LOVED THAT SPOT!!! Later, I loved Barcelona. Then Budapest....

Those places all seem so gorgeous and warm on this miserable day.
    But there are ladybugs in the house! Is that a sign od spring?

(and laundry to finish)
    'bug

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Mary, How nice to see the family. Iris is a beauty and the rest are no slackers either. You really know how to give your children a variety of experiences.
    How nice that you were able to visit with your brother also.

I'm picturing a time lapse video of V shoveling that same foot of snow fifty times. LOL.
    Not funny huh V?

I am ready for winter to die down too. It is really windy here today and now I'm thinking about March winds. I don't do windy well either.
    I had better get going on a big project to keep me occupied.

Vent;We are waiting on one of those people who insist on coming to your home to explain something of importance to you. I have a real problem with people who call in the evening and set appointments for evening hours. That is what business hours are for! Besides that if it is so important I will make a trip to their office to take care of it. I always try to discourage such. Arrgggh Vent over.

I think my grumpy bone is broken also. I'll be back whem it has healed. Norma

• chelone
    16 years ago

More snow drifing down from the sky. I suspect it will change to rain, the question remaining is how much will accumulate before the changeover and how long the driveway will remain rutted and frozen. :) Funnily enough, though, I'm still OK with it. Go figure. I've somehow managed to miss the whole beet juice thing; it does conjur some interesting visuals.

I think there's a Chuck E. Cheese down near the mauls. There's another place called Joker's (I think) that is
    likely similarly themed. The helpmeet and I refer to it as the "e. coli proving ground".

Work was OK, as predicted there was nothing set out for me to do, nor could I glean anything meaningful from the hastily scrawled work orders. So I cleaned. I cleaned up a pile that has been threatening to bar the door for at least 6 months now. I reorganized the vinyl scraps, throwing out several rolls, rerolling those that had been opened and tossed aside because they weren't the right size, and managed to get them back in the basket. I swept the floor and was appalled at the dust and grime (believe me, I'm not "neatnik"). Upside is, the place looks better, I kept myself busy, and am now working a project.

Count me in as one who likes it warm. I did that whole, freezeyerassoff thing in the last "energy crisis". I came home today and the house was cozy... woodstove providing a cheery glow and welcome warmth on the sort of raw, chilly day you get in a maritime environment. I do like a cool/chilly bedroom, though... makes you appreciate a warm bed (thank you, Herman Melville).

We now have functional heat in the Salon and I may now apply the smooth mortar to the face of the concrete block chimney. And think about painting the floor.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

We cleaned at work today too. Our server decided to take a sick day today and crashed. Internet is spotty and company software is a no go, but the phones still ring. I'll be lucky if I get this posted. We cleaned through all the old computer software and books. Its been a long day.

Michelle (who finally gets to go home)

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi everyone

You might have noticed my brother looking rather dapper in a beige jacket. He bought it that morning for his trip. At Ruth's he discovered a church program in one of the pockets - I guess someone had worn it to a wedding or funeral then returned it.

Mary

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Hmm, does that fall under "The Audacity of Mourning"? Just when you think you've heard it all...

The end of the driveway was drifted up to two feet deep when I got home. I didn't stop to get the mail, out of fear that if I stopped I would never restart. The snowplow angel is on his way out.

I went out at lunchtime and the sun was shining and the sky was a gorgeous shade of blue. There were some great "photo ops" but no safe place to stop and take the picture. By the time I left work for the day, the skies had clouded over again.

Norma, you know this is the home of "Groundhog Day", so perhaps we have a talent for repeating things over and over and over and over...

DD found out last night that she passed her "Basic Skills" test required by our state for a teaching license. She wasn't particularly worried about this, but it's nice to have one more thing crossed off the list.

We keep the house on the cooler side. 65 in the main part of the house and 60 in the bedroom. I usually throw an old denim shirt over whatever else I'm wearing (quite the fashion statement, eh?) and that keeps me plenty cozy.

Now that you all are using CFL bulbs and reusable shopping bags, would you like to know what I see as the next green trend? Moving away from cheap (and disposable) clothing to better made, longer-lasting clothes. Chelone's talents could be quite in demand in the future!

I've made myself a list for this evening and am determined to do more than doze on the love seat. Onward!

V.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I will add the 100th post...just to do it!!

We braved the wind and cold today to go to town. Nolon went also, to get his hair cut, so he will not be so shaggy at the funeral tomorrow.