Sue W (CT zone 6a)
18 years ago

Don't ya think?

Comments (102)

• gardenbug
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

{{gwi:150284}}

No outdoor blooms or growth visible here yet, but I'm sure you have real signs of spring at your place!

Back to the paintbrush while Charlotte is being groomed.

'bug

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Wendy, that is too bad about your tree. What a bummer for Marie that she had to shell out $1500 for hers. My parents had a huge dying tree removed and they thought it was bad at $850. It was in between 2 houses and a garage, so it supposedly cost more because of the proximity to the structures.
    Congratulations Auntie, that is always so fun.

Deanne, I got a beautiful black jacket that is velvet and satin patchwork that was originally $72.00 for $7.00. That was the best. I also got a sheer red velvet blouse for $6.00 and a couple of long sleeve tops for $3.00 each. I also got some Lands End boots for $19.99. I also got some garden signs and a birdhouse at Kohls for 30% off and then another 15% off when you used your Kohls card.
    I did notice that you and Doug were cheating with those turtlenecks. LOL

Great news, we have warmed up to normal temps here. High is supposed to be 36 today.

Missing VG as well and Eden, where the heck are you?

Ei, I have seen that Physocarpus Coppertina in several catalogs and I really like it. Ill have to keep my eyes open.

Babs, all I can tell you is that I winter sowed lupines with great success.

• taryn
    18 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARB!

Hope you're having a great day!

Quick catch up before I get the rugrats from school. I was exhausted after 3 days of fun in the big city, so was crashed on the couch when Gigi got here at 10:30 yesterday. At 10:35 our real estate agent called to say he wanted to show our house at 2:30pm. Cleaning the house NOT what I felt like doing, especially after a weekend away meant bags to unpack and laundry etc were all calling, but with Gigi's help got it respectable in about an hour and a half. Gotta do whatcha gotta do...

We then zipped up to Value Village, a great 2nd hand store here that also gives all proceeds to the Canadian Diabetes Association. I had told her about it and Monday was one of there quarterly 50% off their already very low prices days. The place was a madhouse! But she got lots of nice pants, Gap jackets, etc for Ryan and Reid, for $32.00, and was very pleased she'd made the trip. Unfortunately with the showing I couldn't make her lunch as I'd planned, and she didn't want to go out anywhere, so it was a short one. But we're doing our spa day a week from Monday, so will look foward to that.

Today I'm still very low energy, and had to tidy and vacuum and touch up bathrooms again. Our agent is bringing another potential buyer to see our house at 3:15pm. I'm really hoping that he finds us our buyer--then he gets the commission. He's a good guy. Am worried though that we'll get an offer and we don't have a house to move to yet. Will have to go for a long close and hope that more places come on the market now that spring is on the horizon.

Wendy I'm sorry about your tree. Congrats on being an Auntie though! You guys all looked like you had such fun at Deanne's! Shame Martie couldn't have joined you, and I too hope she's not sick.

Was in touch with Eden recently and the good news is she's not sick. Hope she feels like Idylling again soon. Asked her to take lots of birthday Bella pics this weekend at the party. First BD's are such milestones! And I always let my guys experience their first cake however they pleased. Made for some good pics.

Sue great to hear your back's been good. Knock knock, so has mine, but I have to avoid certain pilates moves, though I bought the Windsor Pilates trio specifically for strengthening the core to help with back support. That one where you are lying on your back with one foot pointed up and do "circles" (within the frame of the body) made something in my low back keep clicking. It didn't hurt at the time but sure did the next few days. I find yoga a safer option for me, though am not doing much of anything these low-energy days.

Norma, you were asking how Kaitlyn reacted to her Valentine's gift from Shane. Very well, according to my mini-Romeo. However, tidying his room a bit earlier I found the mood necklace he'd given her on his floor. And, found what is obviously a girl's ring, flattened so it's useless.Uh-oh. Don't know if she gave the necklace to him to wear or gave it back or what, and have never seen the ring before. Will have to get the story after school.

Well I'd better go switch on lights and double-check the cat's box quick, nearly time to go get the kids and the agent will be here in 15 minutes. Have a good day all, especially you Barb, time for a check in!

Taryn

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Not only can you meet good friends on the internet but apparently you can meet good husbands. One of the ladies who works in the accounting department here met her husband through an on-line dating service. She just received a airmail box from Flowers.com. Inside were two boxes of gourmet chocolate covered strawberries from somewhere in CA sent by the husband because he's away on business. He thought we all would enjoy them. It was like a stampede out there. They were really incredibly good-huge, juicy strawberries dipped in a variety of chocolate and rolled in stuff like almonds and coconut.

Martie, Jerri, Drema, Eden, Brenda...lots of missing idyllers-not to mention the belated BD girl herself. C'mon folks, one more month to go until official spring. Start dusting off those shovels, spades and trowels.

Sue

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

I just got this from Vegangirl :

Hi Marian, I hope you are feeling better now.

If you would post this for me, I would appreciate it so much.

"I've been reading the Idylls when I have the time and noticed the 2 or
    3 people had asked about me. I can't post on GW because I can't
    remember my password. When I joined a several years ago, DS made a "hot
    button" for the Forums and I never had to log in again and now I have no
    idea what my password is! I emailed GW for it but they never responded.
    I just haven't had time to pursue it. So I'll just give a quick update here.

We have been super busy because we made the big leap of faith to go mail
    order with our daylilies. DS and DD are working to get the web site up
    and running by the end of Feb. I have been working with the VA Dept of
    AG and other states to make sure we are in compliance with all regulations.
    In between all the business stuff, we were able to save up enough money
    to buy our hardwood flooring for the downstairs. So we are also trying
    to get all the woodwork up, sanded and painted (finally!!!) by early
    April when DD and SIL hope to come and help us put the floor down in one
    big marathon.

Fred is pleased to have a companion, a cute little black hen named Peggy
    Lee. She is so skittish. Maybe she'll get used to us. Fred should tell
    her we're harmless:-) I'm still taking a few minutes most every day to
    hand feed the birds. I have titmice and chickadees eating out of my hand
    so far. The downy woodpeckers and nuthatchs come awfully close but not
    quite feeling safe enough to land on my hand yet.

I miss chatting with you all. Maybe one of these days I'll get back. I
    enjoy reading what everyone is up to. I wish everyone well.
    VG"

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

{{gwi:150288}}

VG! I'm glad you are Ok and sounding quite busy! I hope you get back here soon.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yoo hoo!

{{gwi:150289}}

Marian, why doesn't VG reregister with a new user name? Or try requesting the password again. Sounds like she's doing well at least. Thanks for the update.

Taryn I think the Pilates move you're having trouble with is the single leg circles. It doesn't bother my back but I have a much easier time doing it with the left leg than the right for some reason. The Classical Pilates DVD I have actually shows that being done with much wider circles than the Ana Caban version that I do. I'm trying to convince my boss to look into these exercises as he went off to the doctor today for a cortisone shot. Unfortunately his back problems may be too severe for this type of routine.

OK, time to move on for the night. Enjoy what's left of it.

Sue

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

VG says she may reregister with a new user name when she has more time to post. I hope she does. I miss her posts.

As for us, our snow and ice melted a lot this afternoon. Thank goodness the porches are now ice free. The huge icycles finally came down from in front of the bay window.
    The ground is still white, but a lot of the rock edging around the flowerbeds is showing.

I haven't been as interested in the Olympic games as I was in the past. I 'am' watching the women's skating this evening.

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - BIRTHDAY BARB!

{{gwi:150290}}

--Cindy

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

{{gwi:150291}}

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Good evening to all! I'm pleased that we heard from VG and happy that she is doing well. (Thanks, Marian, for that update!) I too miss her posts and hope she can get back here soon.

Just had a frustrating experience trying to make a CC payment online. With all the bank mergers, my card has moved from First Card to Bank One to Chase with no effort on my part, and the upshot is that I was trying to log in to the wrong website, but even tech support couldn't tell me that. They finally got frustrated as well and took a payment over the phone to make me go away. They kept insisting they had to talk to the primary cardholder. I was soooo tempted to say "He's in France" in that silly conehead monotone, but I was good. Oh well, guess I'll just quit using that card...

It's nicely quiet with no one else home except the dogs. Tomorrow i pick up DD & Dh at the airport and get to hear all about their trip. I'm looking forward to that.

We had sunshine most of the day and a high of 31 F, so a lot of our ice melted except for the back deck. Oh yes, and my car was parked on the other side of a slush lake when I left work!

So do you want to know just what kind of a goof I am? I know the owner of the local Dairy Queen. We team-teach Sunday School in the fall, we email each other, I have her phone number, I see her at church most Sundays. She even gives me free ice cream every once in a while! So anytime I want to know when the DQ will reopen, all I have to do is ask. But NO! My biggest goofy thrill every year at this time is to drive by the DQ and watch for signs of their re-opening. When I got home from NH on Sunday, the white gunk was off the windows. And tonight, the sign was up - "Open February 27" Yay!!!! Spring is coming, the DQ is opening in a week! (told you I was a goof)

Marie, I hope your painting is going well. Thanks for your nice words at TGF also!

Deanne, I examined my phal. closely when I got home and again tonight. There is a small green nubbin on the opposite side of last year's spike, so I may be getting a new spike! It was so small on Sunday night that I thought it could be a case of wishful "seeing", but tonight it's definitely a little nubbin. I'll keep watching!

I need to go pay a couple of more bills and make tomorrow's coffee. See you all tomorrow!

V.

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

{{gwi:150292}}
    Barb - I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Just wanted to get this posted before too late...but I'll be back! :-) Ei

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Oops! Sorry Barb and everyone else, I didn't realize I must have had PT on "Large" pictures, so I deleted the first B'day Card. Well, the card is smaller, but the birthday wishes are still big! :-) Hope you had a wonderful day! Ei

{{gwi:150293}}

• deanneart
    18 years ago

{{gwi:150294}}

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

OOh! Deanne, is that from the orchid show? Stunning flowers complemented by a cool frame.

And the black makes me think of Da. Time for you to check in, Da, and tell us what you've been up to!

Now photo-impaired V. will reach into her tiny bag of tricks and say,

Happy Birthday, Barb!

I've had a brief email from DD at the Paris airport. They've had a good trip and are waiting for their flight. I'm eager to see them later today! (But it was nice to have a quiet house for a couple of days...)

Work awaits. I hope that Martie checks in with us soon! I miss her morning posts also.

V.

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Hi everyone, I've been reading to catch up and will be back to post later but wanted to jump in and say...

Happy Birthday to Barb. Hope it was a great one!

{{gwi:150296}}

Eden

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Oops my original Birthday Pic for Barb came out a little bigger than expected...LOL! Oh well! Gorgeous pictures from everyone...arent birthdays grand? :-) Have to ask...Babs that is a gorgeous flower and I love the presentation...what flower is it? And T...what kind of tulip is that? Its so cheerful and exuberant...I just love it!

Good Morning Idylls!
    I had wanted to post this last night, but got too pooped and knew I would have to get up early and get ready for work.

What a perfectly lovely day I had yesterday! It was only 31 degrees out, but after our minus 10 temps., thats balmy and most importantly...the sun was shining and we had blue skies and Ive got some snowdrops! Spring is right around the corner..... :-)

While I was looking for a pic for Barbs birthday, I stumbled across these pics....Look at this...this was on April 15...thats only 7 weeks away.....Yippee!

{{gwi:150297}}

{{gwi:150298}}
    {{gwi:150299}}
    {{gwi:150300}}

Carole King
    Sweet Seasons

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose,
    and sometimes the blues just get a hold of you
    just when you though you had made it.
    All around the block people will talk,
    but I want to give it all that I've got
    I just don't want, I don't want to waste it.

Chorus
    Talkin' 'bout sweet seasons on my mind.
    Sure does appeal to me.
    You know you can get there easily,
    just like a sailboat sailin' on the sea.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose,
    and most times you choose between the two
    wonderin', wonderin' if you have made it.
    But I'll have some kids and make my plans,
    and I'll watch the seasons running away
    and I'll build me a life in the open, a life in the country.

Chorus
    Talkin' 'bout sweet seasons on my mind.
    Sure does appeal to me.
    You know you can get there easily,
    just like a sailboat sailin' on the sea.

Talkin' 'bout sweet seasons, talkin' 'bout sweet, sweet, sweet seasons
    Talkin' 'bout ......

So my lovely day yesterday started with sunshine and a haircut and no work! :-) When I came home from my haircut I didnt want to, but I had to stop at the bakery to order a small birthday cake for one of my gardening girlfriends (were going out Thursday). Anyway, what was staring me right in the face? Chocolate cupcakes with white butter cream frosting! Omigosh...I *love* buttercream frosting...I took 2 home with me. I ate the first one and then had a case of the guilts, so I compromised. Instead of eating the other cupcake I just ate all the frosting off of it and then threw the cupcake part away. What a good girl...bet I cut out at least 150 calories there! *I* think it was a good compromise...LOL! Anyway, to further ease my guilty conscience, I worked in the garden a little, cutting back some ornamental grasses and a few clematis and took Scout for a little walk. BTW, in case you are wondering if I started Curves yet...well no, but I have a good reason. When I went there Monday they told me that *next* Monday they are going to have a food drive and if you bring in a bag of groceries they will wave the initiation fee...well, it only makes sense that I wait; right? :-) Anyway, I definitely am going to join, its fairly inexpensive and I like that you are in and out in 30 minutes. You work all the parts of your body at different stations. You are timed on the stations and then a voice comes over the loud speaker and tells you when its time to go to the next machine. You can wear your street clothes (but must have a separate pair of shoes to wear while working out). Its only 5 minutes from my house and I can go there on my way to work. I like easy!

Anyway, after I came in from working in the garden, I put the stereo on to motivate me while doing laundry. I played David Russells "Reflections of Spain" and "Essential Guitar 33 Guitar Masterpieces". The music was wonderful, but I had such an urge to break out the Margaritas and start dancing...LOL! I didnt give in to the urge, but enjoyed the music all the same. Ive added a link to David Russell at the bottom of my post, in case any of you want to hear it...my favorite song on that album is #2 Capricho Arabe. You'll have to copy and past the link for "Essential Guitar" as I couldn't figure out how to add a second link to the bottom. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000069KIT/qid=1140587312/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-8841767-5806346?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

The song Cavatina is very moving (that was in the movie the Deerhunter), but really all the music on this album is just beautiful too.

All in all it was a wonderful day...the simple things really *do* bring the most pleasure...

The little things? The little moments? They aren't little.
    John Zabat-Zinn

We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy,
    even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry.
    E.B. White

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
    Laura Ingalls Wilder

Michelle, Norma, and Wendy I havent really had a chance to see Coppertina in a garden. I first read about it in Landscape Architecture Magazine (I think that was the one) about 3 years ago and it sounded wonderful. Then I think last year? (maybe the year before) I saw it at the Chicago Flower & Garden Show and the plants they had were beautiful, so then I started searching for it, but wasnt able to find it locally. There were a few mail order sources that were selling it last year, but I prefer buying trees and shrubs locally rather than mail order. Its described as starting early in the spring with leaves flushed an attractive copper and then changing to a rich red in summer. I dont know any gardener around here who is growing it, so I dont know if it is as beautiful or truly has the rich colors shown in pics and as advertised. It was grown and bred in France. I just read somewhere that Bailey Nurseries in Minn. is releasing one called 'Center Glow, which is suppose to be golden in spring and then quickly changes to burgundy. Ill probably try Coppertina if I can get it locally this year, but Center Glow sounds nice too and I like that it has been bred here in the States.

Dont know if I mentioned it before, but am still trying to catch up with all the old posts, but Honey meant to tell you how *beautiful* your living room turned out! Just like something out of a House Beautiful magazine! Red is such a daring color, but you really nailed it...I love all the touches of gold too....very classy and rich! BTW, sorry to hear that your friend isnt doing better. I hope shell let you come to see her soon. Not that I dont understand why she doesnt want you to see her *and* how hard it will be for you to see her like this, but I bet she doesnt realize how much comfort and support she would get from seeing you in the flesh. And company, would probably do her good, even if it only temporarily takes her mind off what she cant help but focus on right now. BTW have you checked out Proven Winners container design pics online this year? Some really inspirational pictures! :-)

Michelle & Norma your bathrooms are both beautiful...great minds think alike. Purple is another daring color that Ive always been afraid to try, but after seeing your bathrooms I may have to find a place for it the next time we get the urge to paint here! :-) Do either of you remember the actual name of the paint color you used?

Deanne I agree with you totally, the judges are the only thing I *dont* like about Dancing with the Stars. I wish they would just stick to constructive criticism and ditch all the negative adjectives. Just refreshed to remind myself about what I wanted to comment on and saw your birthday card....how *gorgeous*! Im looking forward to seeing more of the orchids you talked about with Marian...please? :-)

V- your daughter was in Paris? Sigh! Youll have to tell us what she loved, where she went and what places she would recommend seeing...Ill put them in my travel folder for the "some day" vacation. I met a lady yesterday that is from Scotland and now I want to go there some day too. She says June and July are the best times to visit there....perfect weather, no humidity and in the 70s. Thats the kind of summer temps I wish we had here!

T I really am a cornball...I *loved* 7 brides for 7 brothers. A couple of weeks ago I rented some Thin Man movies and Please Dont Eat the Daisies with Doris Day. :-)

V seeing Stacey Earle in Colorado and Sue talking about the hot tub got me to remembering all the wonderful times we had while visiting my FIL when he lived in Colorado. He owned a pretty nice piece of property, way up in the mountains. In fact if you stood to the edge of his mountain you could look down and see Denver. He also had a hot tub and in winter, with snow all around us we all sat out in the hot tub (Sues right you dont feel cold at all). At night it was breathtaking lying there in the hot tub staring up at all the millions of stars...one of those "aha this is what lifes all about" moments. Great memories!

Marian yes, Im still working. It was crazy in December and January (lots of deadlines), but its slowing down quite a bit now. I kind of like the job, I mean its interesting, as Im learning a lot about tools...LOL! We mostly focus on electrical tools, drills, saws...even edge trimmers, etc., but there are a few things about the job that Im not so crazy about too much to get into now because, speaking of which, I need to get ready for work. BTW, did you tell me and I missed it? Do you normally get snow in winter where you live? And, what are the average temps there in winter? P.S. Thanks for sharing VGs message, it was great to hear from her and hope shell be able to pop in with a visit from time to time, though I understand she is going to be busy. How exciting about the mailorder!
    Taryn I read your post on hormone imbalances, etc. You are so educated on your health...Im so impressed and totally understand about the "cant find anything wrong with you" situation. One of my good friends Charlene had gone through that for years. She kept on having these stomach pains and no one could find *anything*. Well many years later it did turn out that she had a problem. Everything turned out fine in the end and she was *so* relieved that they finally realized it wasnt "all in her head". Lots of tears and frustration for many years though. Anyway, I wanted to ask you...is there any *simple* way for me to detox? I think I would like to try, but when I read about what you had to do in one of these magazines it seemed so complicated, that I just know I wouldnt stick to it. Im an active member of the "keep it simple" club...LOL!

Glad to hear Eden is okay and hope shell pop in and share some more about what she is growing this year. Was it you Eden, who had Hydrangea Little Honey? If so, how do you like it and does the foliage keep that nice golden color? Does it get as big as other oak leaf hydrangea or does it stay small? Im also looking forward to pics of Bella!

Oh...I just refreshed to do my post and saw Eden! Hi Eden! :-)
    Well, gotta go, have a great day all! Ei

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Hi Eden ! So glad to see you. We were worried about you!

Still thawing here, but we are socked in with fog. Rain in forecast, so we will have a muddy mess on our country roads.

I looked out this morning and thought "That looks like a Meadowlark in our yard." But we never have Meadowlarks here ( they are open area birds), so I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Than pretty soon Nolon said there was a Meadowlark out there! Wierd.

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

{{gwi:150301}}

Happy Birthday Barb

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday Barb!

{{gwi:150302}}

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

What wonderful pictures for Barb's birthday.

Ei, thanks for a lovely spring walk thru your garden. We need that at this time of year. I am starting to get antsy for spring. Funny that you would mention the PW website, I was just looking at it before I read your post. They do have some very nice container combos, but I did think that some of the containers that I have seen here on the Idylls are even better. I just wanted to tell you how much I love your formal garden with the bricks.

Eden, good to hear that you are ok. Has Bella had her party yet? When is her birthday?

Marian, thanks for posting VGs message. I was wondering where she was.

Later,
    Michelle

• hollyhock2006
    18 years ago

Hello Everyone, It looks like the NE Idyllers had a great time Saturday. I have enjoyed the pictures.

Well, we finally got some rain this past weekend. Only half and inch where we live though some areas got up to an inch. We aren't complaining, just thankful. They are forcasting there might possibly be more next week. The mountains got a good dusting of snow so Mt Baldy really is bald. They are so beautiful to look at it makes me wonder what it was like 75 years ago when the area was just Orange and Walnut groves and unobstructed views. Some of the old Citrus groves had Mt Baldy in the background of their packing crate labels. It has been really cold (for us anyway). The last couple of mornings it was 35 deg. at 6:30 a.m. Brrr! We have really been enjoying some nice fires (in the fireplace) in the evenings.

My nephew came with his new wife this last weekend. He brought us a load of firewood. We already have plenty for this year, but since we don't have a ready supply in this area we never turn it down. Anyway, we really enjoyed our visit with them.

Marian, I am so sorry for all the pain you are having. From the way you have described it, it sounds like what my mother is experiencing right now too. Is physical therapy an option for you at all? My mother was able to have one come to her home a few days a week. It really helped alot. Also, she is limited as to what pain meds she can take because of interaction with her other meds. It is important to work closely with your doctor and that you let him know how much pain you are in. I hope you get some relief soon!

Ei, thanks for the info on Stacey Earle. DH and I are big fans of her brother Steve. We listen to a syndicated radio show called Altville. I know they have played her on occasion, but I haven't managed to catch it. Your mention reminded my to check her out.

V, you mentioned that you had seen Stacey Earle in Colo. Was it by any chance at the Chattaqua in Boulder and if so, have you stayed there?

Honey, I love your window treatments. They are beautiful. You and Michelle are inspiring me.

I know there is more I wanted to comment on but I'll have to go back and catch up. Talk to you all later.

Grace

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

Marian ,thanks for passing along the message from VG. Good to hear from her. A medowlark huh? Its good that Nolan confirmed what you thought you saw.

Ei, the name of the color paint in my bathroom is Purple Moon. I do like it because it is subtle.
    The color I wound up with in the laundry room is Cosmos, a nice blue. We made quite a bit of progress in there today, but still have a ways to go. Yesterday was a bust because I was out of sorts. DH couldn't do anything to suit me and I didn't even like myself. Today I was fine. Go figure.
    I enjoyed seeing your spring garden today. A welcome sight.

Grace, how nice of your nephew to bring you firewood. It will be well seasoned by the time you do need it. I imagine the scenery was more beautiful many years ago. I cringe every time I see another farm or woodland turn into another subdivision.

Jasmine was on my lap again where I usually have the keyboard, so I laid it on top of her to type and she didn't even move. DH came in and I showed him. He said we needed to take a picture, but when he reached for the camera she moved. The only time she sits on my lap is when I am here in the computer chair. Crazy cat.

Eden good to hear from you.

I'm outa here for now. Norma

• hollyhock2006
    18 years ago

This is very strange. I have never had to log in, but am having to log in all the time now.

I remembered a couple of other comments I forgot to make.

Barb, I hope you had a nice birthday!

Ei, I loved the pictures of your garden! What is that small tree in the background of the tulips? Is that granite edging your beds. California has never seen the likes.

I am wondering how Yeona and her family are doing.

Martie, Hope you are feeling better! I miss your cheery posts.

V, looking forward to how DH & DD's trip went. How neat for your daughter that her dad got to show her Paris!

Take care all,

Grace

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Good Morning All!

Thanks Michelle - Yes, I'm getting antsy for spring too, can you tell? LOL! I agree, the best container designs I have ever seen have come from the Idylls! :-)

Norma thanks for the paint name. We have no plans to paint anytime soon, but I love the names of your paints and the colors...which company is it?

Hi Grace! Funny, you and V both mentioned Stacey's brother. I have never heard his music (though I know he is the more famous singer). Does he sing country? That is slate on the ground. I was trying to imitate a dry river bed in that area and it works great, is easy to walk on, etc...I really like it. We have a stone supplier just about a mile from my house...you would be *amazed* at all the unusual and beautiful stone there is out there. I could spend the day just wandering around the yard staring at it all...LOL! Re the logging in. I have *always* had to log in before I could post. A few weeks ago I couldn't even get on this site at all, but thought all the problems had been ironed out.

Hmm...reading over my post, I started wondering if everyone thought I had a drinking problem. I hope you all know by "detox" I meant, purifying my body and ridding it of all toxins, not alcohol! Yikes! I was imagining poor Taryn frantically surfing the web, trying to find ways to help her poor friend with her drinking problem...LOL! There was probably a better way of putting it...

Oh well, have a great day! Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good morning! Even though it's still somewhat wintery, spring is in the air. The sun is coming up earlier every day. Tomorrow I'm taking the afternoon off and going to the CT Flower & Garden show-take some pictures and browse the vendors. It will be great to see green and blooming plants in February.

Yesterday I placed a bulb order at Brent & Becky's-mostly cannas but I also picked up some Caladiums and a red abyssinian banana since I killed the one I had last year trying to bring it in the house. That should be it for on-line orders. I really need to shuffle plants and try to best place what I've already got before running out and buying a bunch of new stuff only to find out I don't have the right spot. Most of the open garden space in my yard right now is dry shade and part shade.

Ei, those are just gorgeous pictures! You midwesterners are always ahead of us in the spring. You wouldn't see that sort of growth and bloom here until at least May. Beautiful-can't wait to see it all in person (hopefully) at the idyllunion this summer.

OK, time to get serious. When does Mary get back? I'm anxious to see some Hawaii shots.

Sue

• taryn
    18 years ago

Hidylls!
    I'm actually feeling like I don't need to crash this morning, so am going to take advantage of that and get some seeds up on Ebay. But quicky for Ei about simple detoxing --and no I didn't think you were a lush, lol, though love your lushes (lucsious!) garden pics! LOL! All Barb's birthday pics were fab--where is the BD girl or did I miss her? Just barely skimmed text today.

Okay detox, see the link below for simple 7 day detox. But was just reading yesterday in a Canadian natural health magazine an article on a simple early spring detox plan. If you can incorporate some or all of these things into your diet: dandelion (tea and/or greens), artichoke, lemon (1 squeezed in hot water before meals), beetroot, red clover and milk thistle, you'll be way ahead. Lots of greens, fruits, legumes, whole grains, fibre are good. If you have a juicer, fresh juices are great. And if you can avoid things that stress the liver for a week, that will help it work better, such as caffeine, wheat, dairy, sugar, red meat, alcohol of course, anything processed or with trans-fats, chemicals and preservatives. Organic is best, but I find it expensive so just use Simply Clean fruit and veggie wash and soak for a few minutes, then rinse to remove toxins. Drink tons of water. But really, any change you make either way can only help.

I'm also taking a 30 day liver detox formula you take morning and night, which has a blend of supportive herbs and nutrients, called Renew Life 30 day cleanse, copy and paste this link for more info:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/631257624505.html

Very gentle for first time cleansers Eileen--have fun!

Hi to everyone! Must hit the juicer and the stepper and Ebay's turbolister before this rare energy disappears and I'm couch-bound...Have a great day all!

Taryn

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Good morning, all -- Sue, Im envious of you going to the garden show, altho I have plans to go for a day myself in a couple of weeks to the Phila. one (but it's so crowded usually, it's kind of pain-pleasure thing to endure) -- but like you Im soooo anxious for Spring -- and heck, I hear calls again by Sunday for another "arctic chill" blowing in -- I do not think there's an early Spring this year - sigh.

Ei -- I agree -- your garden looks lovely! and I too love all the brickwork & stone work -- you have a center a bit like Im trying to do in my back yard (but I can't quite give up grass because it's Chloe's romping room) - but in a flash, I'd make walks like yours if she'd let me! And re the "detox" thing -- it made me smile & I thought of Desperate Housewives show -- if anyone saw the episode last Sunday, you're lucky a neighbor wasnt checking out your trash - LOL - but dont guess they'd find those 3 dozen wine bottles, uh?

V - looking forward to hearing what weather in Paris was -- sometimes I hear it can be as cold there as here - but I haven't kept up with it this year -- hope they had a great time!

And Marian - yes, thanks re the VG message - it's nice to know she's just really busy and will drop in again when she can. She leads an interesting life doesnt she?

Grace, Im glad you finally got some rain there - and hopefully in just the right "strength" - to seep into the ground instead of run-off. I sure do envy you the citrus groves -- I'd love to try to grow some (inside for me would be necessary) but dont really have good space for them - but Im still thinking about a container lemon tree this Spring to try out.

Well, I guess I better get back to the piles on my desk. Is it Friday yet? Why does it feel like it should be?

--Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

We got a dusting of snow this a.m. just to remind me that it is still winter ;o) The coleus cuttings that I took off my big Kiwi fern are just sitting there and not rooting. So Deanne I haven't set up a light table yet. I have received some of my seed orders. I may start a few indoors. Others may get wintersown.
    Does anyone carry over their calla lilys? I had some for the first time last year. I dug them up and threw the bulbs in a flower pot on my potting bench. I noticed that they are sprouting. Should I pot them up now?

Grace, its nice that you got the rain that you need.

Martie, how are you feeling? Much better I hope.

Sue, which cannas did you order? I havent had cannas for several years and only ones I could get locally. I do have a canna that I kept in a pot for the winter. It is the one that was planted by the birds. The CT Flower show should be a nice taste of spring. We have to drive 3 hours to go to something like that.

I believe Mary was going to be gone 10 days and left last Thurs.

Have a good Thurday
    Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Some chuckles for the sick humor crowd...lol

{{gwi:150303}}

{{gwi:150305}}

{{gwi:150308}}

Sue

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Sue, I think I got the same email as you this morning!

DD & Dh had a great trip. Cindy, it rained every single day they were there! One day the rain was very cold and chunky. But of course it wasn't below zero. They some almost the entire Louvre in one long day. DD took 370 photos! They brought home 6 bottles of wine and a lovely box of handmade chocolates. Mystic stole one truffle! It must have been good; he licked his lips several times after he finished it off!

Deanne, on Sunday they went to a flower market where most of the cut flowers were orchids.

Grace, we saw Stacey Earle at the Folks Fest in Lyons, Colorado. It's a little north of Boulder. Although they offer on-sote camping, it sells out early. We stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, about 45 minutes or so west/northwest of Lyons. Would you be surprised if I told you that Lyons also has a great garden center?

Okay, time's a-wastin' and my typing skills stink today, so I think I'll post while I can!

V.

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

I made a new discovery at lunch here today -- Eden, Taryn and others who have "small" spaces -- there's a new forum started here at GW called "small spaces/urban" that's got some fun photos on it! (plus I see that the HGTV "Small Spaces" TV show is looking for places to shoot episodes for (see the Landscape Design forum) -- I nominate yours, Eden (altho I dont know the size of your home inside -- but it's so originally decorated from what I saw from your recent interior photos - go see the email).

Hopefully, I've not offended or missed anyone (not knowing all the sizes of everyone's homes or gardens) - so please forgive. But thought there were some very cool ideas for "space challenged" gardeners and wanted to mention it.

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

It is a blustery day once again...with white-outs out there. The squirrels have raided the feeders and have developed fat tummies. Charlotte loves to study them and chases them up trees.

Thought I'd share the kitchen progress. I tried to make these shots look as though things were finished...but in fact there's a long way to go. The color isn't accurate, but you can tell that it is brighter and cleaner than before!

{{gwi:150310}}

{{gwi:150311}}

Yesterday I simply couldn't stand it any more and broke down and purchased a rose and a sedum and some pink siberian iris. Come May I'll probably wonder where I thought I could fit them, but right now even the idea of plants is soothing.

I hope you enjoy your garden show Sue...and that everyone else has a fine weekend! That means Bella too of course!
    'bug

• gardeninbc
    18 years ago

Hello all. I am really busy at work but just wanted to log in and let you all know I really appreciated the birthday greetings and all the pictures...it really brightened my day !! It's a great feeling to know that even though I don't get to contribute as much as I would like everyone still remembers. Loved the pics...I will share some from here soon but be forewarned they aren't happy ones. I will be back to share more and thank you all so much again - great pictures and so thoughtful of everyone.

Cheers,
    Barb

• just_t
    18 years ago

'bug you have a lovely kitchen! I hope the sunshine shows itself at your home soon. Charlotte chasing squirrels with fat tummies is a cute visual picture.

Barb, it is nice to 'see' you!

Marian, thanks for relaying VG's note. I wish them well for expanding their business. It must be busy & exciting days for them.

I received a Charlie's Greenhouse catalog yesterday, in it were some orchids. Lovely! I keep telling myself I don't need any........so far it is working.......

Well, there is nothing new or exciting here.......

Hope all are well.......and warm........and happy........

T.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

T, look into my eyes. You are feeling drowsy. Your eyes are getting heavy.

Orchids are easy.

Orchids are easy.

You need an orchid.

You need an orchid.

Buy an orchid.

V. the enabler

• just_t
    18 years ago

LOL........darn it V but I'm sorry. I was holding a mirror up at the time you were hypnotizing me...it must have shot those enabling orchid rays right back at you. Why was I holding up the mirror? Well, I was looking in the magnifying side to see how my wrinkles were progressing after watching an infomercial by Victoria Principal about crow's feet, deep wrinkles and sun damage. It wasn't a good idea.......but it did bounce the rays back at V so not all was lost by doing it. ;o)

T. (yep, deep crow's feet, long wrinkles and just a mess--although one cannot have sun damage when there is no sun shining for most of the year.........)

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Hi everyone, I think we're returning to winter again here for the weekend. It's been really warm the last few days but we're back to flurries and cold temps this afternoon. The sun is shining though which is always a bonus. I've been playing around with plants and seeds here and have ordered a few more tropical things, some hibiscus, begonias and fuschias. My coleus have developed a bad case of mealy bugs and I think I will have to just throw them out. I don't want them to start infecting other stuff. I guess that's what I get for neglecting them so much this winter. Bella's birthday is Sunday and I can't believe she's already one. I'll try to take some pictures at her party for you all to see.

Eileen, it's so good to see you back. I loved the pictures of your garden and just sat and took them in for quite a while. Thank you!

Marie, the kitchen's looking fantastic. It looks so bright and cheery in your photos even though I can see that it's still definitely winter there through your windows. I must confess that I went plant shopping yesterday too and bought a few tropicals, including a couple of begonias.

Cindy, I'll have to go and check that forum. My house and garden both definitely qualify as small. I always like to see how other people live in their small spaces. There's a show on HGTV called Small Spaces that I enjoy too.

V, sounds like dh and dd had a fabulous time in Paris. Those will be great memories for them both.

Sue, thanks for the cartoons. Pretty funny! I checked out the caladiums on the Brent and Becky website but they seemed expensive to me and they're so available around here that I think I'm just going to pick some up locally this year. That will be one less thing I'll have to get started this Spring. I'm thinking of ordering a couple of cannas too. The ones I have in pots in the basement are really starting to put out some growth the last week or so. Hope it's not too early.

Has anyone else kept brug cuttings rooting in water all winter. I have some in my kitchen window and they've done great all winter but are starting to get a lot of yellow leaves now and they are just a mass of roots. I wonder if it would be too soon to pot them up? Does anyone know?

Well, David just came in with dinner. Pizza for us tonight so gotta go for now.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Here's pics of my new acquisitions...

Begonia Little Brother Montergomery

{{gwi:150312}}

Begonia Marmaduke

{{gwi:150313}}

Calathea

{{gwi:150314}}

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Marie - I think your kitchen looks lovely, crisp, clean & sparkly!! it's amazing what a coat of paint will do - do you feel good w/ it coming along like that? You've certainly worked hard enough - I think a little "me" garden present was the perfect reward for such hard work.

Wow, Eden I can't believe those plants - so lush and cool - I really like that calathea -- I really need to find some full sun "broad leaf" plants for my garden --(that are not huge plants) -- that's one of my critiques that I dont have enough foliage differentiation -- but it's hard to come up w/ hardy ones that aren't "gunnera" size (that would engulf my entire beds). Maybe the trick should be some container plants like that?

T- isnt it weird how those infomericials are so clever they "suck" you in - no matter what they're selling? I've seen some at 3 a.m. (if you have insomnia, there seems to be nothing but infomercials on at that hour) that have me writing down notes & phone numbers, regardless of what they are! Luckily it requires me to grope for my credit card as well which is safely on another floor.

Sue - that email circulated a couple of weeks in my area! weird how they get around!

Well, I've gotten sucked into the Dancing w/ the Stars & gotta go watch the finals....

-Cindy

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

GB, you are doing a good job. The cabinets look brand new. I have to decide now how to go with the cabinets I want to put over the washer and dryer. I wanted an antique look, but not sure if it would go with the stained beadboard. So I may buy unfinished ones and stain them the same.
    It does look cold and snowy out your kitchen window. Do you have deep snow on the ground?

Eden,nice score on the plants. I really like the Begonia Little Brother Montergomery , I also like the one with the swirl pattern in the background. I remember that one from your containers. Hope to see pics of Bella on her birthday.

I was outside for a short time this afternoon. I have a few crocus blooming. I didn't stay out to long, the wind was a little chilly. Rode the fourwheeler to the mailbox and had to go slow so the old dogs could keep up. But even Rebel was panting hard. We need to get back to our daily walks big time.

I was up way to early this morning so I'm ready to go to bed and watch tv for awhile.

T, nice defense move with that mirror. LOL

Norma

• mybrainhurts
    18 years ago

Hey Ei... I'm watching Dancing with the Stars. Stacy Keebler actually -is- a wrestler. Yes... she's stunning and one heck of a dancer. She's the reason why I started watching the show in the first place. Now it watch it for her and to see Anna Trebunskaya, the professional dancer that's teamed up with Jerry Rice. She's just... stunning. I love her look and I've loved every single costume she's worn.

You know.. I came in today and mostly just scrolled to look at the pictures. I saw a name or two that I haven't seen before and noticed how many are gone.

I've been filling my time with yarn and fabric. This last week's been all about making a lovely skirt. If I finish ironing the seams tonight, I'll probably be able to finish it by tomorrow. I hope so. I've been working on it the last three days. It's just... lovely. I hope that it's as lovely put together as it is in pieces. I've got to grin because... of course.. it's black, V.

I'll be back with pictures when it's done. The show's on and I'm just far too distracted to really write this.

I don't know if these images will show up or not so I'll add a link under them just in case.

This is the fabric I've been living and dreaming the last few days. I'm working with the fabric on the far right. It's black with the palest pink flowers.
    {{gwi:150315}}
    fabric

The pattern I'm working on is the skirt in the middle of the top row. I'll eventually make the black blouse that's in the middle pattern on the bottom row to wear with the outfit as well. Also intend to make a waist cincher as well as an underbust corset in the same fabric as the skirt to elongate the already long lines of the skirt. Also... later on.. I'll use the fabric that's on the left above to make another long skirt (but without the overskirt) because I absolutely love the style with the tiny little train. It feels so elegant.
    {{gwi:150316}}
    patterns

Ok.... it's time to finish ironing those seams that I can finish sewing them tomorrow.

Later, ladies.

~Da, the quiet mouse in black

ps... I really really loved that birthday card that Deanne put up with the black and white border.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Greetings from Sick Bay. I am alive but my lifestyle and stress level caught up with me and I've been truly down for the count most of the week. Fever, chills, sleep, water, tea, fever, chills, another box of kleenex. Finally acquiecsed ?sp to the physical signs and stopped moving. You all know the drill.

Yesterday ventured out for the first time to, You Guessed It!!!!, Woodland Gardens greenhouse where they haven't yet potted everything up. Thus, scored a bunch of good inexpensive container plants. Then went home and crashed until this morning.

Have been trying to keep up with everyone. Glad to know VG may be back and really enjoying Ei's lyrical posts.

One more thing on the plant front then back to the couch: My Wave and Pirouette petunias are sprouting in the newly created ex-bathroom turned potting room that Rich concocted for me. YIPPEE!!! Spring, meteorologically, comes next week. That's close enough for me to not pay attention to the calendar :-)

Fading fast so "see" you later and don't be concerned if I don't get back really soon. I've got a lot of catching up to do but Promise I Won't Burn Myself Out.

Missed you Guys!!!!

Martie

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Morning all,

A chilly 32 degrees out here this AM. Lots of clouds and I guess it is supposed to snow later. News on another front, Doug is going to have to have surgery on that toe of his. The arthritis is preventing it from bending and flexing properly and as a result he is getting very thick callus and those blisters that dont heal. Hes pretty bummed out but philosophical about it as it could be worse. They did a full range of blood tests and everything there is normal. Im working on another magazine article so will try to check in when I can in the next few days.

Da! Hey there, great to hear from you. Those fabrics and patterns are really lovely. Didnt that show make you want to take dancing lessons? LOL I do have to say that that foxtrot they were doing didnt look anything like the one Doug and I were learning. ~~ Thanks! Glad you liked the pic and frame. I found this new borders software that has hundreds of frames to choose from and it really is a lot of fun to play with.

Norma, I cant believe you have crocus blooming already! I dont have any crocus foliage even showing up yet but do have some tulips and narcissus foliage breaking ground.

Hi Eden, how great to hear from you. I love, love, love those plants. Are you going to use them in your outside containers this year? ~~ I still have brug cuttings in water and they are still doing OK. Mine did have some yellowing leaves but a month or so ago I started adding a bit of water soluble fertilizer to the water when topping them off and they are no longer getting yellow leaves. I dont know when Im going to pot mine up but want to wait as long as possible. The one cutting I did pot up Ive had to cut down twice.

T but orchids are good for dieting! You wind up playing with your orchid collection instead of eating. LOL~~ I got that Charleys Greenhouse catalog also and already ordered from it but not plants. They have some great high intensity fluorescent bulbs that produce twice the light as normal bulbs. I want to try them out. They should be great to get my large fuchsias going again.

V, so is that how you got me to buy those plants????? ~~ I could swoon to go to a flower marked where most of the flowers were orchids. How neat! So happy to hear they had a great time together in Paris.

Barb, thanks for checking in. Hope you had a good birthday.

Bug, your kitchen looks great. So clean and new! Makes me want to get out a bulldozer and rip mine out and do a remodel.

Sue, ROTFLMAO! ~~ have a great day at the garden show. Looking forward to pics.

Michelle, where do you have those coleus cuttings? Are they in a window where they get too much cold? Coleus dont like cold temps and just sulk if they arent warm enough. I have some under my lights in the basement and they dont do as well as the ones upstairs that get more heat.
    Eileen I just absolutely loved all your garden photographs! What a breath of spring. Im SO ready for spring right now I can just about taste it. LOL

Grace, RE the login thing, check to see that you are checking the box to remember your password when you do log in. ~~ Glad to hear you got some rain. Have you not gotten enough rain this winter? It seems so strange that some areas get too much, much more than their average like up in the PNW and some areas are dry, dry, dry. Weve had a ton of precip here since September.

Marian, very cool you had a Meadowlark in your yard. They are such cheerful looking birds. It is always fun to have something unusual for a yard bird. A friend of mine here has a flock of Turkeys that hang out from time to time.

OK I really have to get off this computer and get my day started so Im off to the gym.

Have a great day everyone,
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

TGIF!

Hey Da! Great to hear from you. I see you're keeping busy as always.

Martie, hope you feel better soon.

Gotta run-staff meeting at 8:30, another meeting at 10 and a short day for the flower show. With any luck I'll surface tonight with a bunch of pictures. The camera batteries are charging as we speak.

Sue

• drema_dianne
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday Barb!!!! I hope it was fun!

Sorry I have no pic, but I am photographically challenged right now. I cant seem to make my pictures 50K anymore. I dont know what happened to my Photoshop. Either someone changed the settings, or I completely forgot how to do it. My son said that option wasnt there, I know he is trying to fob me off, so he doesnt have to explain anything to me. If any of you have ideas, please let me know.

I tried last week to post, but it disappeared, so will attempt a recap.

Deanne and gang, it sure looked like you were having a ball last weekend!

Honey, I really like your window treatment. Very elegant. I hope you are having a good week!

Taryn, I hope you have many visitors to your open house this weekend. Real Estate activity heats up in the spring. There should be more houses on the market to choose from, and hopefully someone will fall in love with yours!

Sue, I have been trying to remember the name of a plant I saw in your garden last year when I was there. The striking part is the foliage more than the flower. It is a very light colored leaf, with a darker sword kind of going down the middle. I can almost remember the name, but cant seem to get it to come to me. Maybe it starts with a P? Prince, King.I just cant remember. I remember looking for one last year, and couldnt find it anywhere. It is an uncommon variety of a more common plant. Wish I had taken a picture. I have found a source for Angelica Gigas this summer, and they also have Abutillion (I loved yours), and I thought maybe they would have that one, too. This nursery is about 2 hours away from me, they dont do mail order, so I want to have my list ready when I go. Otherwise I am sure I will get sidetracked, then be bummed when I get home without looking for the one I wanted.

Ei, so good to "see" you back! You are going to love Curves. I know a number of people who go, and they have wonderful things to say about it. My friend lost so many inches from doing the circuits.

Next week the Botanical Garden here is featuring Orchid Mania. I am really looking forward to going. Plus, an added benefit is that if I go between 11-1, I get in free because of where I work. I have never been there before, so I am definitely looking forward to the benefits of being within walking distance now. I ordered some seeds online from Renees Garden. The only other thing that has been happening at my house is final prep for the wedding.

Norma, your bathroom looks really nice. Last weekend we got a new light fixture for the kitchen, and it is amazing what a difference that one little change made.

Da, that fabric is so lush. I love the patterns. Back when I thought I might have sewing talent, I always looked at theirs, but everyone told me they werent for a beginner. They always have things that are so cool.

Deanne, Do you think that the new lights you bought will use twice as much energy? I dont have any interior light shelves, but am getting the bug to put some up. I want to try to get a head start on the season, with the thoughts that I might be able to contribute some flowers to Marys wedding.

Bug, your kitchen looks great! I love the cabinets and the tile counter tops.

Martie, glad you are feeling better.

I hope you all have a fun weekend!

Drema

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Morning all,

Sunny but cold here this morning and chance of snow later. I'm counting the days until Spring now. I tossed all my coleus last night. It was hard to do because I've had some of them since 2001 but I can get all of them again and start fresh so it's ok. I'm planning on a seed starting marathon next week. Time to get going or it's going to be too late for some things. This is the latest I've went in years without having seeds going. Oh BTW, Martie, T and Cynthia(if you're reading), your pepper seeds are in the mail as of today. I'll drop them at the post office when I have to shop for Bella's birthday gift today. I'm thinking I'll work on her Spring wardrobe since she already has plenty of toys. And I'll probably add in a couple of books too. Other than that it's a housecleaning day for me today.

Martie, glad you checked in. Hope you're totally well really soon. It sounds like you've had a rough week. Great news that some of your seeds are sprouting.

Norma, it's so good to have you back posting regularly again. The begonia you mentioned you like is Escargot. That's one of my favorites too. I loved your bathroom pictures. It's so pretty.

Da, hi stranger, lol. I didn't know you were a seamstress too. Love those fabrics and can't wait until you post a pic of the finished outfit. Are you starting any seeds this year?

Hi Drema, good to have you check in too. Your son sounds like mine. He'll spend hours on his computer but never has time to help me out with problems I'm having on mine. I always threaten David by telling him I just may not be able to find time to do his laundry...

Deanne, thanks for the suggestion of putting some fertilizer in the brug water. Now why didn't I think of that. And to answer your question, yes, I bought the plants to use in my container gardens. Most of the new stuff I've purchased or ordered this year is for containers.

Cindy, I checked out the small spaces forum and you were right there are some neat pictures over there. I was especially interested in the ones of the narrow side yards as I have one of those I need to do more with. Thanks again.

Sue, please take lots of pictures to post this afternoon. I can't wait to see the ideas from the show. Oh and have fun. I sure wish we had something like that around here.

Marian, I googled the meadowlark. I've never seen one. Cool bird.

And Barb, glad you could pop in. Hope you have time for a longer post real soon.

And hi to Babs. Loved your Valentines cupcakes. I played Keebler elf on Sunday and baked around 14 dozen cookies for a friend who needed them for a work thing and doesn't bake.

Michelle, I don't think I told you how great I thought your bathroom turned out. And how about some Kenzie pictures? We haven't seen any in a while. What's she up to these days?

Bella will be here soon and I want to get a load of laundry folded before she makes an appearance so have a great Friday everyone.

Eden

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday, Barb!

{{gwi:150317}}

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

A quickie for now!

Drema, is the plant you're thinking of Tovara 'Painter's Palette'? Check the link.

Da, glad you checked in. I knew you'd like that photo border; it so just looked like your style. I envy your ability to sew! (I can replace buttons and that's about it.)

Deanne, sorry to hear that Doug has to have surgery, but you're right it could have been worse.

I saw four snow geese this morning from my office window. They are not common in this area so that was cool.

Gotta run!

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

When I bought the plant it was called Persicaria 'Painters Palette'. Don't anyone buy this. It's been a fairly heavy seeder in my shade gardens. The seedlings are easy to yank but I usually have more than enough and have sent them to people through the mail successfully. Drema, I wish I had remembered to dig a few up for you when you were here last year.

Michelle, maybe I can toss a few into the package when I send you the variegated Solomon Seal.

Sue

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource