Posted by vtskiers z6a CentralCT (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 06 at 14:44

Don't ya think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll 254-Time to thumb your nose at winter

• Posted by taryn S Ontario Z6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 17, 06 at 14:54

Yeah. It's sure thummin' it's nose at me...

o

We've got sunshine and 34 degrees. Suppose to be a low of 17 tonight. Boo is laying in the sun.....soaking it up.

Honey, you've been on my mind a lot. I'm thankful that your DH is okay.....and your friend will be in my thoughts often.

Taryn, thank you for the other thread. I've been reading the links.....a lot of good & interesting information. Appreciate your sharing.

V, safe trip!

I hope the gathering at Deanne's is a lot of fun.

I hope Mary & family are enjoying some sunshine & good times.

Marian's touches of spring were balm for the soul. :o)

Norma, you asked about our DD who is expecting the twins. All seems to be going along well. She has another ultrasound next week so will know a bit more then.

I'm going to go do some vacuuming & other such fun things..

My best to all....

T.

o

At -4.5 it is sure thumbing it's nose at me...

o

So winter is thumbing its ugly nose at us. We lost electricity at 1:00PM and it still hasn't been restored. Doug got the generator going so we have heat, microwave, refrigerator and some essential lights going and I'm logged in through his cell phone. I'm so lucky to be married to a tech geek! LOL

V's flight is delayed and isn't showing an arrival until 11 now. Jeesh, I'm hoping it doesn't get cancelled but we'll be there to pick her up at the airport whatever time she arrives.

But the party will go on!!!!!

Sorry people are still under the weather. Hope Marian and Martie feel better soon.

OK time to go and have a bit of dinner. Turkey breast on the grill with salad.

Have a terrific evening all,
Deanne

o

Hi everyone.

Sue and Deanne, yes, Im through with bad luck for this yr. already. It always seems to come in a bunch.

Deanne, I just giggle about your kitties antics. Theyre such characters.

V, hope you have a great flight and enjoy your NE visit! Im in envy, boo-hoo. Im sure you guys are going to have a fabu, fabu weekend.

I finally finished the landing window treatment. Its not hanging quite right too much window frame is showing but Ill fool with it later after I regain some patience. It looks odd from the angle Im using taking the photo, but you get the gist:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The etched glass panel on the window was made on a piece of clear glass and then simply caulked in over the existing window glass. It obscures and gives us privacy w/o blocking the light.

Oh, Martie, so sorry to hear youre not feeling well and what poor timing. I know how much you were looking forward to the winter interlude at Deannes.

Marian, yes, you should at least phone your Dr. about being in pain and get in to see him. Hopefully he can fix you up with better meds so youre more comfortable.

Bug, so glad you finally found the colors you like and that your project is progressing.

I hope Mary and family are having a wonderful trip and are enjoying the sun, sand and ocean. Cant wait for tales and pix.

Cindy, yes, thats exactly what happens to my knee/leg. It stops hurting and I forget only to be reminded when I move the wrong way. Im favoring that knee and now the muscles in the rest of the leg are objecting. I hate getting old!

T, funny that Ive been thinking about you, too. Glad to hear Boo is doing so much better. What a worry. And I cant imagine the vet bills. A friend of ours who has owned horses advises: "Never buy something that eats more than you do." LOL.

Oh, Taryn, so sorry your plans got cancelled by the weather. Its back to winter for us, too. It may go to 0 tonite.

Yee gads, Michelle. Minus 4? Im looking forward to meeting you at IU3, too. And youre right. I have to get this knee in shape for the gardening season! And I have to get back on my treadmill for bathing suit season. Im down 2 more lbs. Its such a fight for me to lose.

The reason for my renewed resolve to lose weight is that my DB invited us all to stay with them at their condo in Hilton Head, week of July 4. Hes rented a neighboring unit so there will be room for the 10 of us Mom, DS, DB & SIL from Michigan, DH and me, DB & SIL and their two kids from Atlanta. Itll be great for all us kids and spouses to be together with Mom. Shell be 82 next month, so its important for us to have these periodic get togethers. And itll be great to see my niece and nephew, ages 6 and 8. We havent seen them in 2 yrs. I cant wait for the sun, ocean and pool. See link below for some pix of the place. A real dump, huh? DB's unit is right on the ocean.

Have fun this weekend you guys. Well be thinkin of ya! TTYL, Honey

Here is a link that might be useful: Hilton Head

o

Thumb harder folks! Don't let winter win. Temps have dropped over 20 degrees today and will continue to fall. The high tomorrow is only supposed to be in the upper 20s F. Believe it or not but just about all of the 20 or so inches of snow we got on Sunday is gone. It's that time of year-winter and spring start to duke it out. As we all know, spring eventually wins.

Honey, my boss has stayed at that Marriot Hilton Head resort. He owns a timeshare at the Marriot Grand Vista in Orlando. My dad owns Marriot time shares too-also in Orlando-and has been very happy with the whole package. He now lives in the Orlando area full time. I ought to find out what they're doing with those timeshares. Marriot usually takes good care of their properties. The swag looks great but I know what you mean about regaining patience. I can never get that stuff to hang right.

So, Deanne, should we be bringing candles and sterno tomorrow...lol. I'm packing my suit and plan to take a dip in the tub. Will the generator run the tub? I'm hoping you have power back by now.

OK, another week bites the dust. It's going to be an early night for me-got to rest up for the frivolity tomorrow.

Sue

o

Marian, I hope the extra meds will help to ease your pain. Do you have a heating pad? I have a cloth bag filled with rice that I heat in the microwave for a couple of minutes( some people use corn) it really helps when applied to the area. But maybe you just hurt all over. Anyway I hope you get relief soon.

Darn, Martie, sorry you are feeling to rough to make the trip. I would be very dissapointed too.

And, Taryn, double darn that you and the boys can't make the trip to visit family. Maybe the roads will open up later.

Sue the week just disapeared here too. I was amazed it was friday today.

Michelle your temps make ours seem like a heat wave. Stay warm.

T, Good to hear Boo was enjoying some sun today. I would imagine his light color reflects the heat from the sun, unlike the black horse I had that absorbed it.

Deanne, amazing that you can log on when you have no power. What an adventure story this party will be. Good luck with that. Thinking of V.

Honey, that is a nice window and your treatment is great.

I know what you mean by needing to regain patience though. I had to back off the paint color thing for a day. I had changed course from the original grape gusto that I bought, because I felt it was going to make the room to dark. There is no window in there. then I ordered a wallpaper border I liked to go above the beadboard, and needed to paint the upper wall blue. I did, and it is a very pretty blue, but the color is to bright when viewed from the living area and clashes with the colors there. Fortunately it takes less than a gallon of paint, so I picked a muted light blue. When I tried that one it looked totally gray in there. That is when I had to take a break from it. Today I took that gallon back to the paint store to see if they could change it to another sample. They did and from the small area I tried, it looks like it will work. So tomorrow I get to tape the ceiling again oh yhea :( ,and repaint. This time I will only do the wall near the living area until I am sure the color will work. Oh and get this. I can't believe I did this. The paint store is in the next town over and would you believe I took the sample cards but NOT THE PAINT, so had to make two trips.

I am about to head to bed. I woke up before 3 am this morning and was thinking about my son, I think because I talked to him last night and he sounded a little bummed. I know that is a normal reaction, but I couldn't get back to sleep. Everthing seems twice as bad in the middle of the night doesn't it? Anyway I am tired.

Stay warm and safe everyone. Norma

o

The icy precipitation has begun. I imagine we are going to wake up to a treacherous landscape. I can spread ashes on the path to the woodshed, for traction, and old rugs on the outside steps. Hopefully Nolon will not venture out.

My pain has had better spells off and on today. Thank goodness it doesn't interfere with my sleep too much.
It is too wide spread,( Norma), for heat pads to be of much use. It goes from the base of my skull to the end of my fingers. I am going to bed as soon as I post this. I already have the stove stoked up, now if only the cats would just be content to not go out during the night! Tommy will 'not' use the litter boxes. He always demands to go out.Trubby will pee in them, but goes out for #2. Goofy cats!

TTYAL, If the power stays on!

Marian

o

Yea! The power just came back on and V's flight is on the way. Still supposed to arrive around 11. We are really lucky. Apparently there are still some 70,000 people without power in NH tonight and they have opened shelters in some communities. Some places won't have power restored for a few days from what the news folks are saying.

Sue, nope, we didn't wire up the generator to the hot tub. We thought that would be just a bit extravagant to get a generator big enough to run the hot tub. It can stay warm and oK for several days of freezing weather. Tonight Doug was saying that we should have a switch so we can either run the tub or the house. ROTFLOL I'll be going for a soak myself tomorrow.

OK time to check on V's flight and get ourselves off to the airport...Whoopee...

Later all,
Deanne

PS HOney, that curtain/swag/window treatment is GORGEOUS! You are amazing.

o
Safe arrival

Hi guys, thought you'd all want to know that V has arrived safely. We are all turning in for the night.

Nite all!
Deanne

PS I'll bet Mary is enjoying a tropical beverage on a beach somewhere.

o

Where is everyone this morning? Did you all stay up late to make sure I arrived, and you're now sleeping in?

Well, it was a loooong trip yesterday with a lot of time sitting on the floor at Midway, but the flight itself was uneventful and Deanne and Doug were waiting to pick me up when I arrived. So this morning I'm sitting in Deanne's kitchen, drinking coffee and reading the idylls. How cool is that?

And it's already 31 degrees, so the hot tub is sounding better and better!

Can't wait until Sue, Wendy, Les & Monique arrive!

TTYL,

V.

o

Good morning V! I'm just about to hop into the shower. See you in a few hours.

Hi to everyone else!

Sue

o

Honey, the drapes look very nice and I like your window, too.

V., glad you made it safely and that you are already enjoying the Idylls from the comfort of Deanne & Doug's. It is fun to be able to visualize where the three of you are sitting & visiting.

We've had a frosty 13 degrees here this morning. Too cold for many of my plants I think. The rollie-o-den-droms are droopy and I haven't ventured out to look at the daffodils that had buds on them. We don't get temps this low very often so it is hard on the plants & animals. The sun is shining on parts of the pasture so hopefully the animals will go to those areas and soak up some of the rays to warm up more.

Not much else happening here.........

Hello to all!

T.

o

Just a quick pop-up (no ads to follow, LOL) -- glad V arrived safe & sound -- you guys have a terrific time (gee, how could you not?)

Honey - that window treatment is FANTASTIC - you're so clever (& the frosted glass too - what a terrific idea - those types of windows so seldom offer any privacy but one hates to lose the lite w/ shades added on - which is what so many people do, thus negating the whole idea of the window). (& I know exactly what you mean about the weight loss - I've lost 10 lbs so far but it has been slooooow, itty-bitty steps but Im still determined).

Brr, cold here too -- dont know if I'll venture out or not. But I found a really cool aged "Medusa head" type outdoor concrete pot on stand (1 piece) at Homegoods yesterday so I feel like I made "progress" to the garden ornaments - unfortunately it's still sitting in the back seat of my car because it probably weighs about 50 or 60 lbs - and now I have to get someone to help unload the thang... it may be riding around to see Virginia for a few days til that happens - so my shopping expeditions better end for a bit (altho it was only $40 so, hmmmm....there's still the trunk for purchases)

I hope you're getting over the edge of the pain, Marian.
Norma -- that's so frustrating re paint & colors isnt it? But Im sure you'll get it "right" - I think Gardenbug just got to that point w/ her kitchen cabinets so she's probably a "painting fury" this weekend.

Ok - no set plans for me -- Maybe this is the day to tackle the cleaning or... maybe tomorrow...?

T - you have daff buds, Im so jealous! Hopefully they'll withstand the weather.

Happy weekend all - I'll be checking for those Deanne Party photos!

-Cindy

o

Thank goodness my daf buds are covered with about 4" of snow. They should be fine, and so should the other adventuresome spring growths.
Sleet preceded the snow, so I am sure it is very slippery underneath.
I haven't ventured out to the wood shed yet.

Tommy hated the idea of braving the snow, but finally could stand it no longer, and charged to the shop, dragging his tummy in the snow the entire way. Then he visited a brush pile, before returning to the house. He is underneath it, visiting with Tiger, I guess. Trubby rather enjoyed romping and digging in it, but is konked out on the couch now.
Update: Tommy just came in, and is in front of the stove grooming.

The arm pain continues. I forgot (!) to take my morning dosage of pain med. :-(

I am trying to visualize the New Hampshire get together. I'm sure a fun time is being had.

All this talk of painting sure isn't making my arm feel better ! lol

Marian

o

It was a frosty 12 this a.m. I just came in from an hour outside it has warmed up to a balmy 10. I walked the dog thru the grove, took out the compost, the trash and the pop cans. Straightened things up in the barn for a bit until I spotted a mouse. Enough of that. Actually, it wasnt too bad out if you are dressed warm enough and stay out of the wind. The upside is that the sun is shining very nicely and we are supposed to get back to highs in the 30s this week which is more normal.

Has the party started yet? Im sure that a good time will be had by all. Dont forget the pictures.

Honey, the window treatment is lovely. Did you do the frost treatment to the glass? That is very elegant. Your 4th of July getaway with family sounds wonderful. I checked your link and now I am longing for summer.

I suppose Norma and Marie are busy with their brushes and rollers.

Marian, does a warm bath help at all? Do you get snow often? I would guess not.

V, glad to hear that you made it. Always a concern to me when traveling in the winter.

Id better get going. This place is a disaster.

Michelle

o

Hi. I just walked up to our mailbox after bringing in all the night's firewood. Like Michelle said, it didn't feel bad at all. We are about 16F right now, but only got to around 20F. There is no wind. The sun isn't shining, but comes through occasionally. I was surprised to find that it is wet beneath the snow, but the road up the hill will be a sheet of ice in the morning where the vehicle tracks are.I was also surprised that our disfunctional mailman ran ! I called a neighbor before attempting the trek, so I wouldn't make a dry run. I would estimate that we have about 5" in the level.
Michelle, ahhhhh, a lil ole mouse won't hurt you. LOL
I very, very seldom take baths. I always shower. It is hard for me to get down and back up from the tub...besides our community water is so expensive.
Wow, -12. It's been a long time since we have had that; not even zero in years, but that is predicted to change tonight. This is a pretty normal snowfall for us.Some winters there is a lot more, and other winters there is hardly none, but lots of rain. I am really proud to have the snow. it is so pretty, and we sure needed the moisture.

Marian

o

Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 18:51

Hi all! Fly-by post here, to say V's not the only one posting from another comupter. I'm coming at you from my sister's place in Toronto. :) Roads to TO cleared up last night, so I spent a great (way too late) night with my girlfriend Dawn while Glenn stayed home with the kids. Cajun catfish, a good merlot, great conversation!

Today the roads to Horseshoe Valley were fine so Glenn brought the boys in and met up with his sis to pass them off. Had breaky with us at Dawn's then headed home, didn't feel like joining us this evening (spoilsport!) Truth be told I'll probably have a better time solo if he's gonna be that way.

My sis is having a shower then we'll wait for her beaux Matt to get here and go out for dinner. More wine and another late night predicted, but it's so NICE to get out of the house! I was feeling trapped in my lovely blue board and batten prison...

Can't wait to see pics of the mini-IU tomorrow! Have a blast you guys! Hi to all!

T

o

Hey Taryn,I'm glad you didn't get stuck at home. Have fun.

V, so glad you made it to Deannes. Now don't stay up all night. Ha, I know you all will.
Anyone have icicles from dashing to or from the hot tub?

It is 3 degrees here right now. Thats the coldest so far this year.
I repainted the laundry room today and I nailed the color this time. Now I have to give the trim another coat of stain and then the ball is in DHs park to put up the beadboard and trim. Its to cold to do any more stain work in the garage so will proably have to move to the basement. Hate to do that as we have an open stairwell and the fumes will be bad. May have to wait for warm weather again, but who knows when that will be.
Also need to start thinking about the flooring.
We have watched a lot of movies the last two days. Starz has a free movie weekend on satelite. Nice to watch something without a commercial every five minutes.

So nothing else happening here. Stay cozy. Norma

PS Martie, hope you are feeling better.

Marian, don't slip and fall.

o

hoody hoo!

Hey everybody's having more fun than me...: )

Glad you got in ok V-and that Deanne has electricity.Have a good time!

I miss Mary already~what color umbrella does she have in her festive drink,I wonder...I'll admit she left at a perfect time-these frigid temps are for the birds...penguins that is; ) BIG NEWS: we got a warm up-instead of being 6F it's now 7F...lol.

Taryn-how great your plans worked out-enjoy your escape!

Honey-you little Ms. interior designer! You are going to town with your window treatment designs. Swags definitely benefit from fiddling around with the folds.etc.-play with it and they will look like you want-you are a wonder with fabric choice-nice lining contrast. If you have problems with the hems hanging crisply try slipping drappery weights into the hem at the lower outer corners-you can buy them at Joanne's.

Having a blast here helping AJ build his medieval castle(yeah right) He's been a bear to get motivated with the structure itself but spent a world of time making this beautiful paper alligator for the moat.He's one of those kids that when he is interested he puts tons of effort in,otherwise,well... This moat even has water lilies...can it be that AJ is a water gardener in the making? hmmm: )

Hi Michelle,Norma,Marian,Cindy,T,Sue(she's probably at Deanne's right about now)!

Party girls,please have a glass or two for me.

~Babs

o

T made me think of it...Marian made me wish for it and Taryn and Sue made me sing it...

I've got *sunshine*
On a cloudy day.
When it's *cold* outside,
I've got the month of May.

Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl. (My girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl. (My girl)

I've got so much honey
The bees envy me.
I've got a sweeter song
Than the birds in the trees.

Well, I guess you'll say

Ooooh, Hoooo.

Hey, hey, hey.
Hey, hey, hey.

I don't need no money,
Fortune or fame.
I've got all the riches, baby,
One man can claim.

Well, I guess you'll say

Talkin' bout my girl.
I've got sushine on cloudy day
With my girl.
I've even got the month of May
With my girl.

Talkin' bout, talkin' bout my girl . . .

Hi Guys! Do you remember me? Still like me? Forgive me for being such a poop? :-) I'm missing you all, but have been struggling with some changes and avoiding everybody and everything...but I think I see some sunshine just around the corner! :-)

I have a lot to catch up on... smiling thinking of the fun going on at Deanne's this weekend.

Sorry to hear of so many struggles...Woody (I read she won't be posting) but want her to know I'm thinking of her and admire her soooo much! You are a strong, smart, lionheart of a woman! I respect and admire your proactive attitude ....wishing you all the best!

Honey wishing you smooth sailing from here on out too...your drapes are *gorgeous* by the way.

Marian - wish there was something I could do to take your pain away.

T - sorry to read about poor Boo (love that name, btw)and am so happy to hear he is back to his old self! What a gorgeous pony! :-) He's got the *sweetest* face I ever did see and I just want to reach right out, put my arms around him and bury my face in his neck...I *swear* he is smiling in that pic! :-)

Babs! :-) Your cupcakes were so pretty *and* yummy, but got me in trouble...I have been sneaking Dove milk chocolate candies all week long! Chocolate is dangerous for someone in my frame of mind...LOL! Congratulations to Chris...how *exciting* for all of you!

Taryn glad to hear you made it to sis and the weekend wasn't totally ruined. *Loved* the kids valentines...brought back some sweet memories of days gone by and whoever recieved one of *your* creative valentines was very lucky! :-) BTW...I *did* view GBs link. Thanks GB it was very moving, but a little heart wrenching for me...I can only *hope* that I treated my dad with all the love and respect he deserved. Still miss him so! I guess I dont *let* myself think about him too much and I almost fool myself into believing that he is just *away* and then when I actually allow myself to think about it, it is *so* heartbreaking for me that I can hardly bear it. To think that I will never see that sweet, noble face, feel that unconditional love, that total acceptance and (probably undeserved) pride that my father always gave to me....well I wont go on. But I *do* realize how lucky and blessed I have been to have had that wonderful man to call my father. Soooo anyway, back to my point...Taryn I *love* that song and saved it long ago when you first posted it. It meant a lot to me then and means a lot to me still...Thank you!

Smiling thinking about Mary basking on the beach, playing in the sand with the kids and hopefully catching a few Hawaiian sunsets with hubby too! :-) Im so tickled for her she deserves it!

I have been listening to Stacey Earle all day today....

Have you heard of her? Shes kind of hard to peg...guess you could call her folk or country? I dont know. Im not a huge fan of folk or country (though I like a little bit of everything) but I absolutely *love* Stacey's music. Such a sweet voice and unusual style. Her songs always hit a cord for me. And though we dont look *anything* alike, I think we may have been separated at birth...LOL! Anyway, I hadn't listened to her music in a *long* time dont know why because she always has a soothing effect on me. Im *almost* feeling like myself again! :-) I actually got to meet her and spend a little time with her when she was here in Chicago and she is just as sweet and *real* in person as I imagined her to be...she even signed my cd! :-)

Anyway, wanted to share a couple of my favorites:

Next Door Down
By Stacey Earle

Can't run, can't hide from something down deep inside
I feel it, Ive even seen it
When I lay me down to sleep, I dream it
It wakes me up in the middle of the night
It ain't enough, so I turn on the light
Says girl, *where you gotta go*
*Is from your heart, said in my soul*
*Well, you don't get down*
*You take a look around*
*You know you might just try the next door down*

(Yea, think Stacey may be a bit of a Polyanna like me...LOL!)

Go on down, go on down
Go on down, go on down, go on down

I tried the front door and then a side door
Up an alley way, went in through a back door
And they were all there, and where is there?
A room of people all going somewhere
They said we're all going somewhere someday
Said girl, you gotta find your own way
Said girl, *where you gotta go
Is from your heart, said my soul*

*Well, you don't get down*
*You take a look around*
*You know you might just try the next door down*
Go on down, go on down
Go on down, go on down, go on down

Well, here I come, and there I go
I'm not the only one, oh yes I know
It's right timing, right place
Maybe even knowing someone who can show me all the way
Well, I gotta hand that one to ya
But I wouldn't get down on my knees if I knew ya
See, I got lots of time to buy
I use it up and I use it wisely

I know right from wrong
I know to wait is long
And you do what you are told
*But* from your heart, said my soul

No, you don't get down
You take a look around
You know you gotta sound
You keep your feet on the ground
You know you might just go try the next door down
Go on down, go on down
Go on down, go on down, go on down...

Just Another Day
By Stacey Earle

I woke up early this morning, I asked myself why
It's four in the morning, so closing my eyes
I rolled over on my other side
Ten o'clock came fast
Heard a noise down the hall
Sounds just like broken glass
And for no reason at all
A picture had fallen from the wall

Oh, it's just another day

Guess I'll spend it in the garden
Why, I can make this day mine
And later at the market
Where I know I can find
A place to spend more than just time
Everyone is in a hurry
They're grabbing only what they need
Their faces poured with worry
"Please sir, go ahead of me
I really have no place I need to be"

No, it's just another day

Three o'clock came slow
I heard a knock at the door
So I opened it real slow
He said "Say no more
I must not be who you're hoping for...
Why, could it be you're expecting company?"
"Ma'am if I may
Have you sign right here please"
And as he walked away
He said, "Oh have a lovely day"

Yes have a lovely day

Six o'clock rolled around
I hear the traffic building up
It's all around the town
Driving like there is no giving up
Arriving home to the ones they love
Table set, please sit down everyone
Won't come to bed until the dishes are done
And turning out lights all but one
I like to read some
Won't fall to sleep until my day is done

It was just another day

But I've enjoyed it anyway
Just another day
I'll always find a way
Why I can sleep in tomorrow...

Just read over the songs and thought..."maybe they dont seem as moving if you can't hear her sing them and you just read them?" But she talks to my soul and *I* love her! :-) Thinking of you all and wishing you all the best. Ei

Okay...one more song to give winter the raspberry! :-)

Three Dog Night - Pieces of April

April gave us springtime and the promise of the flowers
And the feeling that we both shared and the love that we called ours

We had no time for sadness, that's a road we each had crossed
We were living a time meant for us, and even when it would rain
we would laugh it off.

I've got pieces of April, I keep them in a memory bouquet
I've got pieces of April, but it's a morning in May
We stood on the crest of summer, beneath an oak that blossomed green
Feelings as I did in April, not really knowing what it means

But it must be there that you stand beside me now to make me feel this way
Just as I did in April, but it's a morning in May.

I've got pieces of April, I keep them in a memory bouquet
I've got pieces of April, but it's a morning in May

Good Night All!

P.S. Happy Birthday Chelone...hope you had a wonderful day! Ei

o
RE: Idyll 254-Time to thumb your nose at winter...oops! Norma!

Ooops! Forgot to tell Norma how much I enjoyed her picture with the geranium...you should frame that! It really is just so stunning and moving...I *love* the simplicity of it! Ei

o

GOOD MORNING EILEEN!
How good to see you back.
You didn't mention your weather. How much snow and/or ice have you got with this last arctic blast? WE ended up with about 5". This morning we have long icicles hanging from the house...both front and back. Although it is only 10 degrees out, the snow on the roof is still melting. I hate to think so much heat is escaping from our house. I'm sure the insulation in the attic needs adding to; but despite the leaking, it has stayed comfortable indoors. OH, I stoked up the stove a couple of times during the night, but I am usually up anyway. :-)
I wish I was as good as you, and others, with the covering of all that has been posted. Since I am not, I will just say "ditto" to all that you said !
I do want to say how blessed you were to have had that wonderful relationship with your father. I never had anything like that, ( with anyone, for that matter... well I probably do , but am not capable of recognizing it ). :-(

I have been out this morning. I took out birdfeed, and then 'plowed' a path to the shop with my feet! So the cats can navigate the way a little easier. LOL
We will not attempt driving out, until we can see the bare ground in the road. We have all that we need, physically.

Marian

o

I don't have much time before church. We have to go early to practice singing. We are on the Praise Team. I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to hear from Eileen. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with issues. We don't like you...we love you! Glad you're back.

Later
Michelle

o

Good chilly Sunday morning! Chilly(about 17 F right now), but sunny and calm so it really doesn't feel that bad. I went out to fill the bird feeder in slippers and a fleece jacket. There were two robins sitting on the edge of the birdbath sipping away.

Hey Ei's back-back to stay I hope! Hi Ei! Thanks for the tunes. We've been missing them.

So, we had a mahvelous time at Deanne's yesterday. Pictures should be forthcoming-I'm actually surprised that none have shown up yet. As usual we had plenty to eat, drink and be merry about. These idyll get togethers are always such a good time. Between Martie's Logees day and Deanne's party winter seems to have just flown by for me. A few of us took advantage of Deanne and Doug's hot tub despite the chilly temps. Tom is now scoping out a potential hot tub location somewhere around our patio. We had one for 15 years in the house we owned in VT. He said he didn't realize how much he missed having it.

Hmmm, Cindy, maybe it's time for a trip to Homegoods. They actually changed the Mega Marshalls we have right here in my town to a Marshalls/Homegoods so it's just a short jaunt. Also...I haven't checked yet this year but last year at this time I scored a bunch of cheap pots at Lowe's. They were closing out the discontinued styles and weather worn stuff. Not that I need any more pots...if you all recall I could barely keep up with the watering last year.

I'm also picturing Mary and her family soaking up the beach and sun. Hopefully she'll find some Pina Coladas as good as the ones Wendy made yesterday.

OK, where is Eden? She is my official missing idyller of the day.

Time to scare up some breakfast.

Sue

o

Good morning all,

Well a fantastic time was had by everyone. What a terrific day. Good food, good beverages (Thanks Wendy for the Pina Coladas) and the very best of friends to share a good time with. I've got one quick pic of the Idylettes attending and I think there is a pic of the hot tub crowd somewhere out there that might show up at some point. Anyway, I only have a few more hours to enjoy V's company so I'm going to make this short. Without further ado here's the gang

I'll go into further details about the scrumptious and gorgeous food later.... te he....

Deanne

o

Good chilly morning!

A great time was had by all at Deanne's yesterday. As soon as I was greeted by our host and hostess in shorts and matching tropical shirts, the mood of the day was set. We had a luscious guacamole and avocado salsa medley served with lime-spiced chips (yummy Les & Monique!) along with other delicious appetizers. Our dinner was steak and chicken breast grilled to perfection, served with a very tasty potato salad and green salad. For dessert, we had a tropically festive fruit bowl, along with a selection of creamy tropical-themed cheesecakes, pina colada and banana fudge flavored (thanks again Les & Monique). Of course I tried both of them!

It was wonderful to see everyone, and to have the chance to meet V. A lot of laughs, and great food - I really like hanging out with the Idyllettes! I'd love to meet more of you sometime.

I was also treated to a tour of Deanne's lovely home, and her fabu master suite! Her keen eye for color and design is evident in her home as well as her gardens.

Honey, your swag with the frosted window above looks really pretty.

Ei, good to see you back, I've missed your musical stylings.

Norma & Marie, glad you have your paint colors worked out.

Babs, my DS talks about having a pond in the backyard, he's even offered to rent a backhoe to dig it for me!

We had a large pine tree come down in the backyard on Friday nite. We are lucky, it did not hit the house, the fence or even any of the shrubs. My backyard is now full of tree (we are guessing that is was over 50 feet tall), and I can't stand to look at it. The tree pros are coming this week to remove it, I hope it stays cold so that the ground is frozen and their trucks don't make ruts in my lawn and garden.

Still thumbing my nose at winter though, we are definitely on the down side now. I pass a small nursery in the city on the way to work: it is a funky little place on the site of a former gas station (the big fiberglass roof is still there, sheltering the shade plants) and I noticed this week that they had re-arranged from the Christmas tree set-up to the tables for displaying the colorful annuals close to the street. Another sign of approaching spring! Looking forward to the Boston flower show next month, then it really will be Spring.

Have a great (long) weekend everyone - Happy Birthday George and Abe!

-Wendy

o

What a fine looking group if I do say so myself...lol.

Deanne, it sounds like Wendy read your book on the most mouth watering ways to describe food. I'm looking forward to your version..We just munched on some of MJ's gorgeous fruit salad for lunch.

OK, time to go out gallavanting for a bit before bundling up for my walk.

Sue

o

We had a great time yesterday and it was so wonderful that V could fly out to be with us! The food was fantastic-I'm still salivating over that grilled beef-yum; the drinks were also good-Veuve Cliquot Champagne and Wendy's Pina Coladas! The day went by way too fast though.

Les took the photos and had a hard time getting everyone in the hot tub shot-so I had to post 2 pics.

o

Well you guessed it, I'm taking a painting break to see if the photos are posted yet...and they ARE! I was looking for Doug's long johns, but I guess he was only teasing. Obviously I missed a superb get together. Sorry it didn't work out! Les seems to be enjoying his role as photographer, avoiding the camera. I thought he had lost weight and was going to model for us, but I was wrong.

The kitchen progresses ever so slowly, in spite of hours of labor. I'm getting tired of the smell of Varsol, the clean-up liquid. I should be able to get a shot of the finished part by the sink this week. I painted the panels of the fridge and dishwasher and they are in place once again.(no easy task!)

In the first photo I was amazed to see that Deanne's backyard has no snow at all. Here's the back of our garage:

And here are the girls enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon:

Yesterday the tree guys arrived at 10am to clean up all the storm damage. It took three of them five hours to do so and I was relieved that it 'only' cost $1500. So Wendy, GOOD LUCK with your tree people and your wallet!

I am trying not to read all the food descriptions. Whenever I am starved, I either drink water or go to the treadmill these days. I'm trying to "eat to live" not "live to eat" with only moderate success.

Enjoy your long weekend folks! Missing quite a few people these days. I hope Tom isn't driving Honey anywhere today and that V has a safe trip back home.

'bug

o

Hi again all,

Well we've dropped V off at the airport and she should actually almost be arriving at Midway Airport by now. She should have an uneventful trip today the weather is 'severe clear' as Doug says. It was sad to say goodby to her. What an amazing person she is. It was a treat to have some quality time to sit over a cup of coffee this Am and get to know each other a bit more. Her tall grass prairie restoration project with their land is an amazing and fantastic project. I'm so looking forward to seeing her lovely land and all the work they've done. I found out they had Sandhill Cranes in their wetlands during spring migration last year and I'm itching to get out there with my digiscope equipment. This forum and the people who participate here are simply the BEST!

Monique, Please tell Les thanks so much for braving the freezing temps (it was 15 degrees out when we were in the tub yesterday evening)to take those pics. How fun! Documented for posterity.

I took a bit of time to get a couple more pics uploaded just now so here goes. This was our appetizer buffet. (NB the champagne bottle on front corner of island. We emptied a couple of those over the course of the day)This is Monique, Tom and Doug enjoying the munchies. Sue brought the most scrumptious shrimp cocktail. I surely wish that her fish market was closer or that we had one like it here. I don't believe I've ever had better shrimp. Perfectly fresh with a lovely, zesty cocktail sauce with just the right amount of horseradish. Yum! (Sue is that what you were looking for? LOL)

And here are V and Wendy enjoying Idyll conversation.... Wendy was so kind to purchase us all the leis to add to the festive mood. Thanks Wendy!

And here are the handsome Les and lovely Monique. Please notice that Monique had the good taste to choose a wine glass that coordinated with her colorful outfit. Perfect!

And last but not least the host and hostess Doug and Deanne who thank one and all who made the party a resounding success! Thanks to Tom for taking this picture for us.

I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get MJ in the photo as she is really an Idylette at heart even though her life does not allow her time to participate here she and Wendy and I suspect Les and Monique cleaned up my kitchen while we were all enjoying the hot tub. MJ brought a fabulous fruit salad decorated with long skewers adorned with grapes and various fruit. So well done, pretty and delicious. And then what can I say about Monique's cheesecakes???? To die for! How perfect to have Pina Colada cheesecake with a Pina Colada to wash it down with. I don't know where Wendy found the recipe for the drinks but they were perfect, not too sweet just the perfect fruity tropical beverage to polish off the meal. Ahhhhh....

Now for other matters....

Eileen!!! Just terrific to have you back. I've really missed you and your chatty posts with music. Please don't go away again.

Taryn, so glad to hear you've had a great get-away weekend yourself.

Bug, we really, really missed you at the party. Next year you are going to come... You really need a break from the frozen northland this time of the year. Plan on it please? (Rahjii missed you too) Glad to hear that you are making progress with the kitchen and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of the project. Love the kitty pics. So cute. ~~Yes, the 15 inches of snow we received a week ago is all gone. Incredible.

Wendy, how come I didn't hear about the tree coming down in your backyard? that is horrible. Do you know if it did any damage to your gardens? So darned lucky it didn't hit the house. Im cringing at what that is going to cost to clean up. Hope it isn't too bad.

Okie Dokie, I've got to run because we are actually going to have company in a few minutes. Doug's DS and BIL are coming for dinner to help us eat up the left-overs from the party.

TTYL have a great evening all,
Deanne

o

Looks like a fine time was definitely had by all - Winter wouldn't dare show her face at that party!!

Nice to hear from you Gardenbug -- you've been busy -- yes, I think the East Coast has had an amazing up/down week -- the 15 inches I had here in DC area were all melted by Friday with the bizarre 50s-60 degree weather - to be followed by 10 and 20s this weekend..... it's a yo-yo kind of winter. Wow, Im so sorry to hear that it took such a wallop to your wallet -- and that's nasty looking snow in the roof.

I too am trying not to read too thoroughly the yummy food/drink descriptions.

Ei - it's nice to hear your melodies - you don't know me, but as a "lurker" I've enjoyed many of your tunes & poems. I hope to "hear" more of them in the months to come. Welcome back.

Think Im gonna be like Marie's kittys and curl up on my sofa w/ my little fuzz ball Chloe - she doesnt purr but she manages to let you know she's comfy. Had a quick brunch w/ my DD & her husband today and managed to have a delightful grilled salmon salad - but I suspect that's the bulk of the calories for the day - need to hit that treadmill to make sure! But after the sofa....

Have a restful evening, all. I'm looking forward to the toasty "40" that's supposed to come here tomorrow!
-Cindy

o

Well I'm home safe and sound. Doug's prediction was dead-on; an uneventful flight that actually arrived 5 minutes early.

I don't think I have enough adjectives to say what a gracious host and hostess Doug and Deanne are, what a great party they threw, and what wonderful company all the idyllers are. I'm so glad I decided to make the trip to NH. Oh! oh! I forgot the fabulous food. Wendy and Deanne have done a great job of describing it all, but I have to add that Monique's banana fudge cheesecake was to die for!

Deanne and I also went to the New Hampshire Orchid Society Show Sunday morning. What a great show! There's nothing better to take the chill off a frigid day than a roomful of blooming orchids. The room smelled of green with overtones of the scented orchids, and the displays were incredible. Lots and lots of orchids for sale as well. Deanne bought one, um, two new plants, oh wait I forgot about that third one she was picking up after the show closed! I was sorely tempted, but couldn't find one that I really liked that was also "carryonable" - my new plant adjective of the day.

Ei, I'm so happy to see you back. You know there was much talk on Saturday about how much we missed you! Your ears must have burned so badly that you couldn't sleep and you were driven to the computer. I saw Stacy Earle perform in Colorado in 2002. She's a fun performer. Her brother Steve was there to join in on a few songs.

Marian, take those meds! I hope you're feeling better.

'bug, I found it ironic that, after such a major snowfall there wasn't a speck of snow to be found at Deanne's but when I came home, most of the 1/4" that fell here Thursday was still around. That gutter isn't looking too happy.

I thought of Mary as we were looking at orchids. I hope they're having a great time.

Well, I have dogs that want attention, unpacking to do and other general stuff (how can I have such a mountain of mail in such a short time?) so I'd better run. But I'm still smiling whenever I think of this weekend!

V.

o

Ah yes, it wouldn't be an idyll get together without Deanne's recap narrative of the food and drink. So when is the next event? I think V has started a trend of mini idyllunions-will fly for good time...lol.

Today I went out and did a little shopping. Nothing in the clothing department caught my eye but I ended up with a few little jewelry trinkets. Most of my stash came from Chicos. It's an odd store-the clothes are very Miami beachish and not my style but they have an extensive collection of fun costume jewelry. I had a $20 off coupon and took advantage of it. I also checked out Smith & Hawken to see what they had for obelisks but came up empty handed.

After shopping I suited up for my walk. I dressed in layers but ended up unzipping halfway through. It was cold but there wasn't any wind. I ended up walking for close to an hour and a half. Then it was stretching, weights, ordering groceries on line and dinner...time sure does fly but there never seems to be a dull moment. Unfortunately it's not a long weekend for me. Although I think President's Day is more widely celebrated by some private industry it's still primarily another government and bank holiday around here. Schools are off this week so traffic will be less than usual.

Marie, I can't wait to see pictures of your kitchen. After seeing the great job you did in the basement, I'm sure this project will shine too. You seem to have had more than your share of tree damage lately. Hopefully this will be the last of it for now. Sometimes when I look around this neighborhood and see the sizes of the trees and how close they are to the houses I shudder.

Allright then, time to put another weekend to bed. No Eden yet, huh?

Sue

o

It is kind of late. We went to Sioux Falls to do a little shopping today, but I just wanted to comment on all the wonderful pictures. You guys did a great job. I almost felt like I was there. It sounds like everyone had a fabulous time.
I got some really good bargains shopping today and a nice meal out, so it was an enjoyable time.

Around here even the banks aren't closed, just govt offices. So I'd better get myself off to bed.

Night all,
Michelle

o

Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 23:53

Eileen! Soo sooo sooo happy to have you back here! I've really missed you!

Deanne, Monique, Wendy, et al, all the east coast gals (and guys) so great to see pics from yesterday! The food sounded absolutely scumptious too! V please check in that you are home safe and sound.

Ei, I don't know Stacey Earle but of course on your recommendation had DH download some of her material for me tonight to check out later. Thanks! Know your Dad is looking down on you, smiling, with feisty attitude and very much pride for his lovely daughter--hang in there, it does get easier.

Gigi is coming to visit tomorrow so I'll have to check out the Stacey songs later. My sis's boyfriend Matt made her an "eclectic Gayna mix" of tunes and one of them was this one. I enjoyed the original Tears for Fears version, but this one is great! Note, I'm not depressed, though can relate to the lyrics. Just want to share a great tune!

Mad World (originally Tears for Fears, re-released by Gary Jules in the movie Donnie Darko):

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places
Worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going no where
Going no where
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression
No expression
Hide my head I wanna drown my sorrow
No tomorrow
No tomorrow
And I find I kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which Im dying are the best Ive ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles its a very very
Mad world
Mad world
Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy birthday
Happy birthday
And I feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen
Sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me
No one new me
Hello teacher tell me whats my lesson
Look right through me
Look right through me
And I find I kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which Im dying are the best Ive ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles its a very very
Mad world
Mad world
Enlarging your world
Mad world

Night,

T

o

Michelle - Thanks! You are a real sweetheart and make a girl feel right at home! :-)

Hi Marian! :-) Sorry to hear about your artic tundra...5 inches! WOW! Do you normally get this cold or have snow in winter in Arkansas? I always thought it was relatively warm there. Well, we didn't get any snow, but I kind of wish we had because the temps have been really bitter here these last few days and my poor plants have no insulation! Yesterday a.m. when I looked at the thermom it was 10 below! Today we reached a balmy 10 degrees by mid afternoon...LOL! You sure do keep yourself busy...hauling firewood, stoking the stove, letting the cats in and out, cooking delicious meals, but it's probably a good thing...what keeps you so spry and sharp! My neighbor (the one who is like a mom to me, but moved)...she was like that. We had to threaten her with bodily harm to keep her off the ladder in fall (trying to get the leaves out of her gutters). Paul and I would always do that for her, but I know she didn't like feeling dependent. Up until the time she moved she was still mowing her lawn every week, by herself...she actually *liked* doing it...LOL! She even painted the whole outside of her house! It took her the whole summer and I helped her when I could, but she just took her sweet time and did a little bit each week. It came out really nice too...I'm in total awe of her!:-) She came up to visit her relatives a few weeks ago and stopped in to see me and she looks *wonderful*! She quit dyeing her hair (which she always kept black)and I was shocked to see her hair is *totally* white! A beautiful white and it makes her look younger and very regal...I like it! Anyway, you remind me of her...strong, hardworking, doers...salt of the earth! I admire you both. LOL on the keeping up...I actually have lots of reading to go back and do, so I'm sure I'll still be making comments about things people talked about weeks ago. Oh well, I enjoy reading and even re-reading the Idylls when I have the time, I find a lot of things I missed the first time....

Hi Cindy...I *do* know you! :-) I guess I just haven't been posting much since you first started, but I always enjoy reading your posts too...It's wonderful that there are new Idylls to add to this diverse and wonderful group of garden lovers. Didn't you start posting about the same time as Wendy and Vegangirl?

Speaking of which...Hi Wendy! Sorry to hear about the loss of your tree. It's such a sad thing, I know, to lose a mature tree. I still grieve the loss of my big old Elm. He really became a friend to me...great big arms to shade my deck, a quiet place for my little boy to day dream while swinging in his little tire swing, and under the elms shelting arms was where my old Sheltie, Willie's liked to rest. It's really funny how you can get attached to a tree....

Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Okay, Im sure all of you have heard *that* poem a million times before, but I never get tired of hearing it! :-)

What about VG? I don't think she has posted in awhile, has she? Has anyone heard from her? She is such a sweetheart and I think often about that wonderful home she and the DH and DS have been creating.

Yes, Ive been thinking about a lot of Idylls. Its funny, lately Bruce has been on my mind a lot! Such a sweet man, with such a lovely family. I get a smile on my face every time I think of his stories about those neat little boys and their magic acts, his daring, go-getting wife and all their wonderful travels! :-) Hope they are all doing well.

I hope all is well with Eden and she isnt suffering a case of Eileenitis! It really stinks to get that disease...believe me, I know! :-) BTW, whats this I hear about *not* planning to get too many plants this year? Well, I felt exactly the same way. I mean last year was such a disappointment with the miserable weather that I promised myself I wasnt going to go overboard this year. But over the last few weeks, to try to get my mind of troubles, I decided to make some spread sheets of annuals Id need based on my container plantings and any I might need for my garden plans. I broke the spread sheets down by what varieties Ive carried over and can make cuttings from, what seeds I have, and what plants or seeds Ill need to order. So far I have all my coleus cuttings started in the basement (which includes Christmas Candy, Felix, Freckles, Kiwi Fern, and Sedona). I am also mailordering 3 "new to me" varieties, Cranberry Candy, Dianes Gold, and Fireworks. I've also started about 7 cuttings from my Tradescantia Purple Heart, a couple of cuttings from my Alternanthera, and a few cuttings from my favorite begonias. I've started waking up my dormant plants like my Tiger ferns, Diochondra Silver Falls (the jury is still out on whether this one's going to wake up), Fuchsia Gartenmeister Bondstedt (proud of this one...I have *never* had any luck getting fuchsias to return for me...Deanne Im *so* envious of you), my creeping wire vine, lotus vine, Mrs. Quilter geranium and one other geranium whom I adore, but has gone nameless. In March Ill start potting up all the cannas, elephant ears, dahlias, my 4 oclocks, and my experimental banana (I cut it back and stored it like an elephant ear so Im not sure if it will actually come back). Then comes the seed! :-) Well, I have most of my own seed I can use, so I only ordered a handful of seed for my cutting garden. Of course there are a few "starter" annuals Ill need to order too, but then *thats it*! Yes, Im really cutting back this year...LOL! Well, surprisingly I only have a few "new to me" perennials I plan to order - some things to fill out my white gardens (Aconitum Alba, Aquilegia Alba, Baptisia Alba and Calmintha nepeta White Cloud). Theres a few clematis I would like to get Clematis viticella Venosa Violacea to grow into my D. Austin Graham Thomas rose and Clematis purpurea plena Elegans for the William Baffin rose arbor, and another Clematis, just because it caught my eye - Clematis Evipo 033. Have you seen this one GB? I saw it at Garden Crossings website. Heres their description: "Clematis Avante-Garde is a newly developed clematis and part of The Festoon Collection. This new Evison/Poulsen clematis is extremely free flowering from July through September. Bred for excellent disease resistance. The very unusual 3", red flower has pink petaloid stamens that gives the impression of a double flower and protruding trumpet. A very unique and premium clematis variety". It looks charming to me and love the "bred for excellent disease resistance" if thats true! Im also lusting over, but wont be buying because of the price, White Flower Farms Helleborous Heronswood Double Pink Strain (which looks much prettier in their catalog than it does on their website). Im also lusting over their Baptisia Twilite Prairieblues. I think Ill probably have to wait a year or two for this one, looks like it will be in limited supply. Finally, just a handful of shrubs; Physocarpus Coppertina (which I have wanted for a few years now, but it hasn't been available locally), Hydrangea Lemon Wave (you enabler Sue!), Hydrangea Little Honey, and Clethra Ruby Spice.

V take note...I called Sunrise Gardens and they say they will have all of these shrubs this year (though they are not on their website yet). Oh dear, I've got it bad. I suppose I shouldnt have even started the spread sheets, what with this sorry case of Eileenitis....worse than a chocolate fix! Please Lord, bless us with a nice garden season! :-)

Speaking of V...looks like you all had a wonderful time at Deannes and you all look fabulous dahlings! You really know how to show your friends a great time Deanne. What a thoughtful and generous host. The food sounds scrumptious, the entertainment fabulous and the company...well, it cant get much better than that. Monique that is the *sweetest* picture of you and the hubby. You really make an adorable couple, perfect match for each other. And Deanne you know what hit me when Ive seen your picture lately? Well of course, the wonderful figure you have, but what has really struck me lately is how much younger you look too...you really do! You just glow! Its great to see you so happy and looking so fabu-fabu, as you say! :-) Thanks for mentioning who supplied the pretty leis great call Wendy...the perfect touch and such pretty colors too! Deanne, Ill try my best to stick around I really *like* sharing with you guys, I hope you all know that. But Deanne, if I fail sometimes, it has nothing to do with you guys. It has been a rough go lately and I really dont want to get into it. Suffice it to say that lately Ive been feeling like my life could make for a great (or bad depending on how you look at it) country song. Im not complaining cause I know better than anyone that Ive had my fair share of rainbows and very few clouds, so I guess its just my turn, but I sure hope the clouds roll away soon!

Mighty Clouds of Joy - BJ Thomas

Those old bad dreams
been sleeping in your head.
Those old dark clouds
been hanging around your head.
But all your hard times
will vanish in the wind.
When the mighty clouds of joy come rolling in.
Ohhhh, Holy Jesus
Let your love seize us.
Oh, let us find sweet peace within .
Hallelujah !
Happiness begins,
when the mighty clouds of joy come rolling in.
Those old storm clouds
are slowly drifting by.
And those old raindrops
are fading from your eyes.
And oh, Mr. Sun,
gonna shine on us again.
When the mighty clouds of joy come rolling in.

Sue, I always smile when I read about you shopping...you really are getting into the girl thing, arent you? I think thats great youre enjoying who you are and you look fabulous too. Speaking of which, I love your hair...have you been doing something different with it? Well, it looks great!

Speaking of looking fabulous well I dont (look fabulous that is) but tomorrow I start my first session with Curves! I decided I could use some improving and besides exercise always makes me feel better.

To continue the "fabulous" topic...have any of you been watching "Dancing with the Stars"? Have you seen that absolutely gorgeous blonde? I think she is a wrestler though thats hard to believe. Oh my, it really isnt fair...just the prettiest girl next door face, lovely body and those legs! Omigosh! I heard her *legs* are 41" long! According to my calculations this means her *legs* are only 21 inches shorter than my whole body! Now *that's* depressing...LOL! Its just not fair! Wish I could *not* like her, but truth be told, she seems like a sweet girl too...oh well! *And* she is so graceful on the dance floor. Of course I dont know who to cheer for, I mean she really is a wonderful dancer, but that shorter guy (dont know his name but hes an actor) is truly a wonderful dancer too and seems like a genuinely likeable guy. I am totally mesmerized watching either of those couples dance. Funny, Im not a dedicated watcher of any show, but I am really enjoying Dancing with the Stars.

Well, I guess Ive yaked long enough and need to get to bed. FIL has been staying with us for the weekend and I took tomorrow off of work to entertain him and drive him around to see a few of his buddies since DH couldnt get the day off. I would be mad at hubby for getting me in this situation, but what can you do? I keep him around cause he makes me laugh...LOL! With that in mind, Ill sign off with this little joke that brought a smile to my face....

MARRIAGE SEMINAR

While attending a Marriage Seminar dealing with communication,Tom and his wife Grace listened to the instructor...
"It is essential that husbands and wives know each other's likes and dislikes."

He addressed the man,
"Can you name your wife's favorite flower?"

Tom leaned over, touched his wife's arm gently and whispered, "It's Pillsbury,
isnt it?

LOL! Good Night All! Ei

o
RE: Idyll 254-Time to thumb your nose at winter Hi Taryn!

Hi Taryn! I just was checking to see if my post showed up. Thanks for the great song - very moving words. And I'm *glad* you clarified that you're *not* depressed! :-)

P.S. Hope you enjoy Stacey. Her album Simple Gearle is my favorite.

Sweet Dreams! Ei

o

LOL...just had to come back and correct myself. While I did say "according to my calculations"...her legs are actually only *19* inches shorter than my total height, not *21*....sigh!

o

Okay, if we're gonna do bad jokes, here's one I saw recently that fits this crowd.

A florist had a regular customer who came in every week, like clockwork, to buy a bouquet of windflowers for his wife. One day, the florist saw the man coming and realized that his weekly shipment had not come in yet. Thinking quickly, he gathered up a bunch of ferns, and when the customer entered, he presented him with the ferns and explained his dilemna. The customer was very understanding, smiled and repiled, "With fronds like these, who needs anemones?"

sorry about that...

It's a balmy 13 F this morning. I just had a report that the thermometer at the office read -15 F at 9:00 am on Saturday morning. No wonder my car was so unhappy about starting when I got back to Midway Sunday afternoon! And the lock on my back door is frozen, so the dogs can only go out the front door.

But it's going to warm up quickly, right?

Have a great day,

V.

o

LOL! Well I know I'm easy (and I guess I really *love* bad jokes too - the cornier the better)so that one had me laughing out loud V! Thanks for the morning giggles...

Well, I better go now, FIL is up. The coffee is made, but I guess he'll probably want to eat something too! :-) Have a great day all! Ei

o

Good morning all! Pretty chilly here, but not as cold as yesterday and nice and sunny.

Thanks for the sympathy on the tree you guys, I knew fellow gardeners would understand. I can't really tell if anything in the garden is damaged yet, I'll have a better idea when the tree (and the trucks with their big wheels) are gone. They have to drive and park in my woodland garden, I'm hoping everything is very dormant. Deanne, I didn't mention the tree on Saturday because I was still too heartbroken about it. We have a line of huge white pines on the northwest edge of the property, and we have been gradually losing them since we moved in here. This is the 3rd time in 5 or 6 years the tree guy has been here. As he was leaving on Saturday, I realized that we are on a first-name basis! My wallet is taking a pretty hefty hit too; I must have Jinxed us by saying the words "tax refund" out loud last week.

Ei, enjoyed hearing your wish list for this year. I have only seen pics of the Physocarpus Coppertina, is really as pretty as it looks? I read your list for the white garden, going along in ABC order - you stopped at "C"! Are you sure that's all?? Your coleus collection sounds great, I love coleus and I hope to find some great new ones this year. I was tempted to mail order some, but I have resisted - I like to see stuff in person.

Deanne, I have to say again how impressed I am with your light garden, everything is so pretty. I moved my lights lower yesterday, and set the timer to leave them on longer.

We had some good news here this weekend - I am an auntie again! My SIL and BIL had their baby, 5-6 weeks early! Both mother and son are doing well. She had some complications the last month or so, glad everything turned out well for them. I have to get motivated and run out to buy a baby gift, and a "congratulations big brother" gift. The big brother is about 3 1/2, I am curious to hear what he thinks about the baby.

Bye for now!

-Wendy

o

Wendy, I do hope the ground is well frozen when the tree men come. I hate for anyone to drive even close to any of my beds, and not even the lawn if it is at all wet.
I'm sorry you are losing your nice large white pines.

Hi, Eileen! how good to 'hear' you sounding cheery again. You are so kind. I am really not as ambitious as you imagine. I just do what has to be done! I got myself into this situation, so it is my problem. We had a very modern house in Idaho, with AC, electric heat pump, and fireplace. It was pretty much my idea to sell and move, but it was because I could see that the type of work Nolon was doing was becoming scarce, and his health was deteriorating, and we owed too much on the house! I have always wished we had bought an existing house, instead of this land. Nolon's cousin influenced us to buy it from him. A less remote location would have been nice, too. Sooooo, if you get lemons, make lemonade! Installing forced heat is beyond our budget.....maybe someday?
LOL on your "cutting back" ! I wonder what you did before?
Are you still working with your friend?
I wish you had a snow cover over your plants. I am so proud that we got this snow. Did you read that the special Peony that you gave me is sprouting? I have it well mulched, so I'm sure it will be fine. And the greenhouse orchid has several blooms. I am so proud of it. I think of you everytime I look at it.

Taryn, I am glad that you got to spend time with your friend and your sis. Also, how nice that Gigi is visiting.

Babs, we need to see a pic of that medieval castle. Lol about the water lilies.

I'm sure all you gals,( and your guys), had a great time at Deanne's. The food sounds scrumptious.
I espacially like that first pic, except Deanne's bare legs make me cold! Brrrrrr, LOL !
I am curious about that turquoise 'fern', 'palm tree'??

Wow, Marie. It looks like the gutter is suffering from that load ! We have very long icicles in front of our center bay window. They almost obscure our view. The end of the gutters has apparently iced full and there are a double row of icicles from them. I don't recall seeing that happen. I am expecting very little thawing today, but it is supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

Cindy, it's good hearing from you. Did you snuggle up with Chloe ? I hope you are getting that "toasty 40s" today. We are supposed to have it tomorrow.

V, I would have loved to have joined you and Deanne at the orchid show. I'm happy that your flight was uneventful to and from Deanne's.

I hope Eden is okay and will soon be heard from.

Hi to all that I haven't mentioned.

Marian

o

Oh what a fun time those pictures show! I'm envious along with being tickled for those that were there. :o)

Ei, I was so glad to see that you are back! You've been greatly missed, and often in my thoughts.

Michelle, I hope your temperatures have risen. Marie, I hope that snow is melting and not causing more damage to your trees. Wendy, it is sad that you are losing the trees around your home. Monique, I loved seeing your & Les' smiles again! Sue, noticed those pretty toes peeking out of the water, please tell Tom hello from us. Deanne, your home looked inviting, your guests looked happy and the garden outside of your window........well, it looked darn cold! Marian, I hope you are warming up there, too. Babs.....how's AJ's project coming along? Martie, hope you are feeling better, too. Honey........did Tom find a new vehicle to drive yet? Taryn, glad that you were able to go visiting.

Okay, my mind is wandering.........Seven brides for seven brothers is on the old movie channel. Jane Powell is whipping those brothers into shape........wish that worked in real life. ;o)

I'm cold so going to get out of this chair and get moving around.

My best to all........

o

Quick Shopping discussion (a subject always dear to my heart along with gardening) -- Sue, I have been fond of Chicos but think it such an odd store as well and find I buy mostly their jewelry and sometimes tops - but after a few years, it seems to me it all has kind of blended together or been "re-treads" (as in same thing, but just a tweek here or there)and way too much black -- I refuse to be a New Yorker and have an entire wardrobe of black. So I've stopped going - when I worked in the 'burbs, there was a Chicos near my building so I did the "lunch browse" thing -- but I find myself less attracted to it any more. But apparently it's still an extremely successful enterprise and they have "Black and White" stores owned by them as well -- so I guess Im in the minority re the black outfit thing! (but o the coupons.... they suck you back, hehehe)

I too have been on the hunt for some tall (7 or 8' obelisks) and have been really disappointed w/ Smith & H this year - it seems like they're carrying very few pillars or obelisks - Im almost tempted to email them and ask "what's the problem".... I did just find an 8' obelisk at Plow & Hearth (& pretty cheapo price) -- but not sure about the quality so I only ordered one, and not quite the style I wanted but the moderate price overcame my esthetic desires... so we'll see how good or sturdy it is. I dont have the time to be creative like a lot of people & make them myself.

I guess there's no more reprieve - gotta go attack some of the dust wolves and cobwebs that have taken up residence here.... hmmm, what was to be a leisurely 3 day project, is now a condensed -what gets done today "skim" - I probably need to invite some guests to visit - that's usually the only real spur to getting the place clean(er).

--Cindy

o

How fun to see our partying idyllers! Everybody looks like they had a great time-the food items have me drooling(hopefully the keyboard doesn't short out). From time to time all weekend I was thinking of what a nice time your were probably having....while I built a castle...lol.(Yes, Marian I'll try to get pics)

Michelle do you happen to know how soon I might be seeing sprouts from the lupine seeds you gave me?(I winter sowed them in late fall) It was very peculiar but over a month ago while we were having those balmy temps I saw seedlings that still only had their false leaves but were alive and kicking-it's been a weird winter but is there a chance those are the lupines? I'm going to start some seeds indoors too in case our strange temps zap 'em.(then again there's always a chance I'm seeing this season's potential weed population; ) lolol.

V-that was a very bad joke...which I of course liked; )

I just figured out where Eden is-she must have stowed away in Mary's suitcase to Hawaii...!

Darn it's time to make some dinnah. I'll just have to wave at everyone else and hope to get back later...

~Babs

o

x c v bbbbbbb-hello from Jasmine. She wants her spot in my lap where the keyboard is at the moment.

Cindy, I hear you. Company is the greatest motivator for me to clean house too. Although I would really like to get stuff put away and clean up this mess now. I had not heard of dust wolves before. LOL

My wallpaper border came just now, so I'm going to have to crack the whip at DH. LOL. He just plain didn't feel like working today so nothing got done. The doctor changed his Lipator to Crestor (cholestrol med) because he has a lot of muscle pain, which is a side affect. The Crestor is supposedly stronger with less mg. He just switched so I don't know yet if it will help. He has had a lot of pain the last few days.

Wendy, congratulations on being an Auntie. Good to hear they are doing well.
Sorry to hear about the tree. The expense that GB and others talk about for removing trees, makes me glad we can take care of that ourselves when needed. I'm glad you had a good time at Deannes and the Pina Colladas and Cheesecake sounded scrumptious.

V, I'm happy you had a better trip home. The pictures show a good time was had by all. Nice that you and Deanne got to spend some extra time visiting and going to the orchid show.

Ei, I liked the flour joke. So nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear you have been having a rough time. Am hoping Curves will help to give you a new outlook. Exercise is big help in that area. I am eyeballing Coppertina too, if I can think of a spot to put it. bbbb nn mmm, she's baacck. Maybe trying to get me to say goodbye get this thing off my lap?
We had to learn the tree poem in school. I think everyone had to , back then.

Sue, its good you could enjoy a nice long walk Sunday. It sure doesn't take long to get warmed up once you are moving does it. By the way you look in great shape as did everyone at Deannes party. I always thought Tom looked tall in his pictures,but where he is standing near Doug in the kitchen he looks much shorter. Is it just an illousion (sp?)

Deanne , thanks for sharing your party with us. It makes me feel happy just seeing all of you happy.
The guys did pretty good playing photographer. You and Doug are great hosts.

Monique, Great picture of you and Les. It is so nice that so many of you can get together every now and then for fun.

The only thing missing in the group shot is, the rest of us. LOL

Hello to all. My eyes are hurting so I guess I'll take Jasmines hints and get off here. Norma

o

V, har, har, har. Most of the jokes I get aren't fit to be posted here.

Cindy, I haven't spent much time looking at the clothes at Chicos but it does seem to be a sea of black sequined and beaded stuff. The jewelry is cool though. Some of it is more than elaborate but most is just fun stuff you can wear to dress up solid colors. On the shopping topic, I placed another order at Eddie Bauer outlet today for a variety of things and ended up saving a total of 75%. I got a sweater, a pair of suede boots and two pairs of pajama bottoms for like $60. The boots alone were originally $138. Sometimes it pays to have size 11 feet. Today is the last day of the additional 30% off. (Stop laughing at my girly ways, Ei-so glad to see you back, BTW)

We had a grocery delivery tonight so dinner was a delectable fresh grilled salmon steak with dill, butternut squash mashed to perfection and seasoned with butter, salt, pepper and brown sugar, and a salad of spring greens and blue cheese viniagrette dressing (where is Deanne today anyway?).

T, who is the hottie from seven brides? Was it the McGuyver guy?

Marian, I'm with you. When I saw Monique jump out of the car at Deanne's in capri pants and sandals I couldn't help but shiver. I ignored the dress code and went with a colorful sweater. Believe it or not, you don't feel the cold at all when in the hot tub though.

If today is any indication of how the rest of the week will go, it might as well be Friday already.

Sue

o
Hi Norma...

Tom is not tall-he's only about 5'8". At one point in my life I was 5'9" but I don't think I am anymore. My boss claims I'm 6' tall in stilettos but he's only 5'4" or 5'5" so everyone looks tall to him. Supposedly Pilates stretch you out and make you stand taller so maybe I should measure myself and see if I've gained any height now that I've been religious with it for 4 months.

Ei, yes I had my hair lightened this past week. Good luck at Curves. Exercise is important and you should do whatever works. I'm approaching 4 months now of consistent workouts and no back pain. I probably sound like a broken record but I can't say enough about the Pilates and stretching routine I got from a Pilates book. Protecting my back has been the key.

OK, now I'm really gone.

Sue

o

Sue-you've *got* it!! There is a high percentage of people with back pain who would be cured of it if they'd do stretching/strengthening exercises. To be able to manage the problem without drugs is such a lucky thing. I really am proud of you. I don't know if you recall but I had that root canal(oh yeah I do remember your moment of silence for me lol)weeks ago and the dentist was supposed to finish the bleaching of that tooth a week ago. The morning of the appt. he calls me at an ungodly hour to say he'd have to cancel because he was in excruciating back pain(he definitely sounded like it). It made so much sense that the guy stands bent over people for hours each day so his spine is not being extended enough. I hope he's Ok now but I told him he needed to get some PT...I need to reschedule my appt so I can make sure he's taking care of himself lol.
Our dentist before this ended up with such severe back probs that he had surgery then eventually had to retire due to back trouble.

Deanne has to be in the hottub. I know I would be if I had one-they are very addicting!

Not going to be a long post tonight...I need to get some zzzz.

~B

o

Morning everyone,

Well, I conked out at 9 last night. Must be left over exhaustion from too much partying. LOL Yesterday I spent the day watering the plants, doing laundry, cleaning the enormous fish tank (you can check with people whove been here to get a confirmation on the size of that tank) and cleaning up the house. Now that Ive gotten the house clean it isnt a huge amount of work to keep it this way but one does need to crack out the vacuum every couple days or so. I think Im having a bit of PPD (Post Party Depression) LOL Just missing having it to look forward to. So who is throwing a party next????? We really could have a pretty active Idyll social calendar to fill the winter months. I know Sues Christmas party is always a hit.

So where the heck is Martie? She hasnt checked in since she called in sick for the party. I hope she is OK and not really down with a nasty bug.

And. Where oh where is Eden? Im really missing her company.

Hi Babs, I didnt realize that you hadnt gotten that tooth finished up yet. Is the dentist still down with back pain? Funny that happened to you because when I cracked my tooth and needed a crown the same thing happened to me. They had to cancel for a week or so because he had back pain. I guess I never thought that of being an occupational hazard for dentists. ~~~ How goes the castle project?

Sue, ROTFLOL, another trip to Eddie Bauer???? You are toooo funny. You saw the results of my little surfing trip to that site. Bad, bad Deanne. Not really though I found this fantastic black velvet fitted jacket that will go perfectly with my hostess skirt for (drumroll here) $17.00! I couldnt believe it. ~~ I forgot to tell you how great your hair came out. Very pretty. I sure wish mine would take a perm.

I think Monique won on the best compliance with the dress code. I had a turtleneck under my Hawaiian shirt. She did not. I think Les was a bit cold though.

Norma. You are so right that the only thing missing in those photos of the party is the rest of you! BTW Doug is 63" tall so he makes anyone look short. ~~ Too funny about Jasmine, one of the reasons I didnt post last night was that Rahjii was sitting on the keyboard and there was no shifting him. I tried but couldnt type around a cat.

Wendy, Im really terribly sorry about that tree. I feel your pain. I thought you seemed a bit subdued at the party and I guess I was right. ~~ As you know were blessed with white pine on and around our property as well and they are notorious for sending huge limbs and sometimes the whole tree down in wind storms. The one that used to be next to the driveway was over 100 feet tall and used to have enormous limbs, 20 footers come crashing down on that border all the time. It made me crazy. Im so glad it is finally out of there. We wound up paying for half the cost of getting it down and that was $800.00! ~~ Let me know how your plants do with the extended time and closer position to the bulbs. I think you should see more lush growth from them. Sometimes in the darkest months of the winter I go into that room and just sit on the futon in there and read a book so I can enjoy all that light. It is a treat in December and January. ~~ Congratulations on being an auntie again.

Cindy, please let us know how those obelisks are from P&H when they come in. ~~ LOL about the dust wolves. That bad? Mine had become mastodons before I finally cleaned last week. It is pretty funny that I have the reputation for having a spotless house because no one ever sees it when I have those long spells between cleanings. It only looks this clean when Im going to have company.

Hi T, we missed you at the party on Saturday, and yes it was cold on Saturday but I was very thankful that we werent getting a ton of snow.

Marian, wish youd been able to see the orchid show. You would have loved it. The room was perfumed with the scents of all the blooming cattleyas. Very beautiful. I took some pics when I went back to pick up my last plant. Ill try to get a couple up to show you. I bought a few mini phalaenopsis you would just love. Little tiny flowers but lots and lots of them. They are my new favorite orchid. The flowers on some of them are only the size of quarters. Very neat.

Eileen, love the joke! I read it to Doug and he even laughed although it took him a couple minutes to get it which I thought was hysterical. ~~ Ive watched this Dancing with the Start only a couple times but enjoyed the both programs so much. I have a very difficult time when the judges start cutting them down after they dance though. Im not into public humiliation on TV. I know they have to do their job but it seems so unkind at times. ~~ Im going to wish for some clear skies for you..

Taryn, so how is Gigi doing?

Michelle, so what great bargains did you find in Sioux Falls? Inquiring minds would like to know.

OK Ive got to get off this computer and try to get to the gym before 8:00AM for a change. Have a great day everyone.

Deanne

o

Oops! We missed a birthday!

Happy Belated Birthday Barb!

I hope you had a wonderful day! Miss you!

T.

o

No outdoor blooms or growth visible here yet, but I'm sure you have real signs of spring at your place!

Back to the paintbrush while Charlotte is being groomed.

'bug

o

Wendy, that is too bad about your tree. What a bummer for Marie that she had to shell out $1500 for hers. My parents had a huge dying tree removed and they thought it was bad at $850. It was in between 2 houses and a garage, so it supposedly cost more because of the proximity to the structures.
Congratulations Auntie, that is always so fun.

Deanne, I got a beautiful black jacket that is velvet and satin patchwork that was originally $72.00 for $7.00. That was the best. I also got a sheer red velvet blouse for $6.00 and a couple of long sleeve tops for $3.00 each. I also got some Lands End boots for $19.99. I also got some garden signs and a birdhouse at Kohls for 30% off and then another 15% off when you used your Kohls card.
I did notice that you and Doug were cheating with those turtlenecks. LOL

Great news, we have warmed up to normal temps here. High is supposed to be 36 today.

Missing VG as well and Eden, where the heck are you?

Ei, I have seen that Physocarpus Coppertina in several catalogs and I really like it. Ill have to keep my eyes open.

Babs, all I can tell you is that I winter sowed lupines with great success.

o

Tue, Feb 21, 06 at 15:00

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARB!

Hope you're having a great day!

Quick catch up before I get the rugrats from school. I was exhausted after 3 days of fun in the big city, so was crashed on the couch when Gigi got here at 10:30 yesterday. At 10:35 our real estate agent called to say he wanted to show our house at 2:30pm. Cleaning the house NOT what I felt like doing, especially after a weekend away meant bags to unpack and laundry etc were all calling, but with Gigi's help got it respectable in about an hour and a half. Gotta do whatcha gotta do...

We then zipped up to Value Village, a great 2nd hand store here that also gives all proceeds to the Canadian Diabetes Association. I had told her about it and Monday was one of there quarterly 50% off their already very low prices days. The place was a madhouse! But she got lots of nice pants, Gap jackets, etc for Ryan and Reid, for $32.00, and was very pleased she'd made the trip. Unfortunately with the showing I couldn't make her lunch as I'd planned, and she didn't want to go out anywhere, so it was a short one. But we're doing our spa day a week from Monday, so will look foward to that.

Today I'm still very low energy, and had to tidy and vacuum and touch up bathrooms again. Our agent is bringing another potential buyer to see our house at 3:15pm. I'm really hoping that he finds us our buyer--then he gets the commission. He's a good guy. Am worried though that we'll get an offer and we don't have a house to move to yet. Will have to go for a long close and hope that more places come on the market now that spring is on the horizon.

Wendy I'm sorry about your tree. Congrats on being an Auntie though! You guys all looked like you had such fun at Deanne's! Shame Martie couldn't have joined you, and I too hope she's not sick.

Was in touch with Eden recently and the good news is she's not sick. Hope she feels like Idylling again soon. Asked her to take lots of birthday Bella pics this weekend at the party. First BD's are such milestones! And I always let my guys experience their first cake however they pleased. Made for some good pics.

Sue great to hear your back's been good. Knock knock, so has mine, but I have to avoid certain pilates moves, though I bought the Windsor Pilates trio specifically for strengthening the core to help with back support. That one where you are lying on your back with one foot pointed up and do "circles" (within the frame of the body) made something in my low back keep clicking. It didn't hurt at the time but sure did the next few days. I find yoga a safer option for me, though am not doing much of anything these low-energy days.

Norma, you were asking how Kaitlyn reacted to her Valentine's gift from Shane. Very well, according to my mini-Romeo. However, tidying his room a bit earlier I found the mood necklace he'd given her on his floor. And, found what is obviously a girl's ring, flattened so it's useless.Uh-oh. Don't know if she gave the necklace to him to wear or gave it back or what, and have never seen the ring before. Will have to get the story after school.

Well I'd better go switch on lights and double-check the cat's box quick, nearly time to go get the kids and the agent will be here in 15 minutes. Have a good day all, especially you Barb, time for a check in!

Taryn

o

Not only can you meet good friends on the internet but apparently you can meet good husbands. One of the ladies who works in the accounting department here met her husband through an on-line dating service. She just received a airmail box from Flowers.com. Inside were two boxes of gourmet chocolate covered strawberries from somewhere in CA sent by the husband because he's away on business. He thought we all would enjoy them. It was like a stampede out there. They were really incredibly good-huge, juicy strawberries dipped in a variety of chocolate and rolled in stuff like almonds and coconut.

Martie, Jerri, Drema, Eden, Brenda...lots of missing idyllers-not to mention the belated BD girl herself. C'mon folks, one more month to go until official spring. Start dusting off those shovels, spades and trowels.

Sue

o

I just got this from Vegangirl :

Hi Marian, I hope you are feeling better now.

If you would post this for me, I would appreciate it so much.

"I've been reading the Idylls when I have the time and noticed the 2 or
3 people had asked about me. I can't post on GW because I can't
remember my password. When I joined a several years ago, DS made a "hot
button" for the Forums and I never had to log in again and now I have no
idea what my password is! I emailed GW for it but they never responded.
I just haven't had time to pursue it. So I'll just give a quick update here.

We have been super busy because we made the big leap of faith to go mail
order with our daylilies. DS and DD are working to get the web site up
and running by the end of Feb. I have been working with the VA Dept of
AG and other states to make sure we are in compliance with all regulations.
In between all the business stuff, we were able to save up enough money
to buy our hardwood flooring for the downstairs. So we are also trying
to get all the woodwork up, sanded and painted (finally!!!) by early
April when DD and SIL hope to come and help us put the floor down in one
big marathon.

Fred is pleased to have a companion, a cute little black hen named Peggy
Lee. She is so skittish. Maybe she'll get used to us. Fred should tell
her we're harmless:-) I'm still taking a few minutes most every day to
hand feed the birds. I have titmice and chickadees eating out of my hand
so far. The downy woodpeckers and nuthatchs come awfully close but not
quite feeling safe enough to land on my hand yet.

I miss chatting with you all. Maybe one of these days I'll get back. I
enjoy reading what everyone is up to. I wish everyone well.
VG"

o

VG! I'm glad you are Ok and sounding quite busy! I hope you get back here soon.

o

Yoo hoo!

Marian, why doesn't VG reregister with a new user name? Or try requesting the password again. Sounds like she's doing well at least. Thanks for the update.

Taryn I think the Pilates move you're having trouble with is the single leg circles. It doesn't bother my back but I have a much easier time doing it with the left leg than the right for some reason. The Classical Pilates DVD I have actually shows that being done with much wider circles than the Ana Caban version that I do. I'm trying to convince my boss to look into these exercises as he went off to the doctor today for a cortisone shot. Unfortunately his back problems may be too severe for this type of routine.

OK, time to move on for the night. Enjoy what's left of it.

Sue

o

VG says she may reregister with a new user name when she has more time to post. I hope she does. I miss her posts.

As for us, our snow and ice melted a lot this afternoon. Thank goodness the porches are now ice free. The huge icycles finally came down from in front of the bay window.
The ground is still white, but a lot of the rock edging around the flowerbeds is showing.

I haven't been as interested in the Olympic games as I was in the past. I 'am' watching the women's skating this evening.

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - BIRTHDAY BARB!

--Cindy

o

o

Good evening to all! I'm pleased that we heard from VG and happy that she is doing well. (Thanks, Marian, for that update!) I too miss her posts and hope she can get back here soon.

Just had a frustrating experience trying to make a CC payment online. With all the bank mergers, my card has moved from First Card to Bank One to Chase with no effort on my part, and the upshot is that I was trying to log in to the wrong website, but even tech support couldn't tell me that. They finally got frustrated as well and took a payment over the phone to make me go away. They kept insisting they had to talk to the primary cardholder. I was soooo tempted to say "He's in France" in that silly conehead monotone, but I was good. Oh well, guess I'll just quit using that card...

It's nicely quiet with no one else home except the dogs. Tomorrow i pick up DD & Dh at the airport and get to hear all about their trip. I'm looking forward to that.

We had sunshine most of the day and a high of 31 F, so a lot of our ice melted except for the back deck. Oh yes, and my car was parked on the other side of a slush lake when I left work!

So do you want to know just what kind of a goof I am? I know the owner of the local Dairy Queen. We team-teach Sunday School in the fall, we email each other, I have her phone number, I see her at church most Sundays. She even gives me free ice cream every once in a while! So anytime I want to know when the DQ will reopen, all I have to do is ask. But NO! My biggest goofy thrill every year at this time is to drive by the DQ and watch for signs of their re-opening. When I got home from NH on Sunday, the white gunk was off the windows. And tonight, the sign was up - "Open February 27" Yay!!!! Spring is coming, the DQ is opening in a week! (told you I was a goof)

Marie, I hope your painting is going well. Thanks for your nice words at TGF also!

Deanne, I examined my phal. closely when I got home and again tonight. There is a small green nubbin on the opposite side of last year's spike, so I may be getting a new spike! It was so small on Sunday night that I thought it could be a case of wishful "seeing", but tonight it's definitely a little nubbin. I'll keep watching!

I need to go pay a couple of more bills and make tomorrow's coffee. See you all tomorrow!

V.

o

Barb - I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Just wanted to get this posted before too late...but I'll be back! :-) Ei

o

Oops! Sorry Barb and everyone else, I didn't realize I must have had PT on "Large" pictures, so I deleted the first B'day Card. Well, the card is smaller, but the birthday wishes are still big! :-) Hope you had a wonderful day! Ei

o

o

OOh! Deanne, is that from the orchid show? Stunning flowers complemented by a cool frame.

And the black makes me think of Da. Time for you to check in, Da, and tell us what you've been up to!

Now photo-impaired V. will reach into her tiny bag of tricks and say,

Happy Birthday, Barb!

I've had a brief email from DD at the Paris airport. They've had a good trip and are waiting for their flight. I'm eager to see them later today! (But it was nice to have a quiet house for a couple of days...)

Work awaits. I hope that Martie checks in with us soon! I miss her morning posts also.

V.

o

Hi everyone, I've been reading to catch up and will be back to post later but wanted to jump in and say...

Happy Birthday to Barb. Hope it was a great one!

Eden

o

Oops my original Birthday Pic for Barb came out a little bigger than expected...LOL! Oh well! Gorgeous pictures from everyone...arent birthdays grand? :-) Have to ask...Babs that is a gorgeous flower and I love the presentation...what flower is it? And T...what kind of tulip is that? Its so cheerful and exuberant...I just love it!

Good Morning Idylls!
I had wanted to post this last night, but got too pooped and knew I would have to get up early and get ready for work.

What a perfectly lovely day I had yesterday! It was only 31 degrees out, but after our minus 10 temps., thats balmy and most importantly...the sun was shining and we had blue skies and Ive got some snowdrops! Spring is right around the corner..... :-)

While I was looking for a pic for Barbs birthday, I stumbled across these pics....Look at this...this was on April 15...thats only 7 weeks away.....Yippee!

Carole King
Sweet Seasons

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose,
and sometimes the blues just get a hold of you
just when you though you had made it.
All around the block people will talk,
but I want to give it all that I've got
I just don't want, I don't want to waste it.

Chorus
Talkin' 'bout sweet seasons on my mind.
Sure does appeal to me.
You know you can get there easily,
just like a sailboat sailin' on the sea.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose,
and most times you choose between the two
wonderin', wonderin' if you have made it.
But I'll have some kids and make my plans,
and I'll watch the seasons running away
and I'll build me a life in the open, a life in the country.

Chorus
Talkin' 'bout sweet seasons on my mind.
Sure does appeal to me.
You know you can get there easily,
just like a sailboat sailin' on the sea.

Talkin' 'bout sweet seasons, talkin' 'bout sweet, sweet, sweet seasons
Talkin' 'bout ......

So my lovely day yesterday started with sunshine and a haircut and no work! :-) When I came home from my haircut I didnt want to, but I had to stop at the bakery to order a small birthday cake for one of my gardening girlfriends (were going out Thursday). Anyway, what was staring me right in the face? Chocolate cupcakes with white butter cream frosting! Omigosh...I *love* buttercream frosting...I took 2 home with me. I ate the first one and then had a case of the guilts, so I compromised. Instead of eating the other cupcake I just ate all the frosting off of it and then threw the cupcake part away. What a good girl...bet I cut out at least 150 calories there! *I* think it was a good compromise...LOL! Anyway, to further ease my guilty conscience, I worked in the garden a little, cutting back some ornamental grasses and a few clematis and took Scout for a little walk. BTW, in case you are wondering if I started Curves yet...well no, but I have a good reason. When I went there Monday they told me that *next* Monday they are going to have a food drive and if you bring in a bag of groceries they will wave the initiation fee...well, it only makes sense that I wait; right? :-) Anyway, I definitely am going to join, its fairly inexpensive and I like that you are in and out in 30 minutes. You work all the parts of your body at different stations. You are timed on the stations and then a voice comes over the loud speaker and tells you when its time to go to the next machine. You can wear your street clothes (but must have a separate pair of shoes to wear while working out). Its only 5 minutes from my house and I can go there on my way to work. I like easy!

Anyway, after I came in from working in the garden, I put the stereo on to motivate me while doing laundry. I played David Russells "Reflections of Spain" and "Essential Guitar 33 Guitar Masterpieces". The music was wonderful, but I had such an urge to break out the Margaritas and start dancing...LOL! I didnt give in to the urge, but enjoyed the music all the same. Ive added a link to David Russell at the bottom of my post, in case any of you want to hear it...my favorite song on that album is #2 Capricho Arabe. You'll have to copy and past the link for "Essential Guitar" as I couldn't figure out how to add a second link to the bottom. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000069KIT/qid=1140587312/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-8841767-5806346?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

The song Cavatina is very moving (that was in the movie the Deerhunter), but really all the music on this album is just beautiful too.

All in all it was a wonderful day...the simple things really *do* bring the most pleasure...

The little things? The little moments? They aren't little.
John Zabat-Zinn

We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy,
even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry.
E.B. White

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Michelle, Norma, and Wendy I havent really had a chance to see Coppertina in a garden. I first read about it in Landscape Architecture Magazine (I think that was the one) about 3 years ago and it sounded wonderful. Then I think last year? (maybe the year before) I saw it at the Chicago Flower & Garden Show and the plants they had were beautiful, so then I started searching for it, but wasnt able to find it locally. There were a few mail order sources that were selling it last year, but I prefer buying trees and shrubs locally rather than mail order. Its described as starting early in the spring with leaves flushed an attractive copper and then changing to a rich red in summer. I dont know any gardener around here who is growing it, so I dont know if it is as beautiful or truly has the rich colors shown in pics and as advertised. It was grown and bred in France. I just read somewhere that Bailey Nurseries in Minn. is releasing one called 'Center Glow, which is suppose to be golden in spring and then quickly changes to burgundy. Ill probably try Coppertina if I can get it locally this year, but Center Glow sounds nice too and I like that it has been bred here in the States.

Dont know if I mentioned it before, but am still trying to catch up with all the old posts, but Honey meant to tell you how *beautiful* your living room turned out! Just like something out of a House Beautiful magazine! Red is such a daring color, but you really nailed it...I love all the touches of gold too....very classy and rich! BTW, sorry to hear that your friend isnt doing better. I hope shell let you come to see her soon. Not that I dont understand why she doesnt want you to see her *and* how hard it will be for you to see her like this, but I bet she doesnt realize how much comfort and support she would get from seeing you in the flesh. And company, would probably do her good, even if it only temporarily takes her mind off what she cant help but focus on right now. BTW have you checked out Proven Winners container design pics online this year? Some really inspirational pictures! :-)

Michelle & Norma your bathrooms are both beautiful...great minds think alike. Purple is another daring color that Ive always been afraid to try, but after seeing your bathrooms I may have to find a place for it the next time we get the urge to paint here! :-) Do either of you remember the actual name of the paint color you used?

Deanne I agree with you totally, the judges are the only thing I *dont* like about Dancing with the Stars. I wish they would just stick to constructive criticism and ditch all the negative adjectives. Just refreshed to remind myself about what I wanted to comment on and saw your birthday card....how *gorgeous*! Im looking forward to seeing more of the orchids you talked about with Marian...please? :-)

V- your daughter was in Paris? Sigh! Youll have to tell us what she loved, where she went and what places she would recommend seeing...Ill put them in my travel folder for the "some day" vacation. I met a lady yesterday that is from Scotland and now I want to go there some day too. She says June and July are the best times to visit there....perfect weather, no humidity and in the 70s. Thats the kind of summer temps I wish we had here!

T I really am a cornball...I *loved* 7 brides for 7 brothers. A couple of weeks ago I rented some Thin Man movies and Please Dont Eat the Daisies with Doris Day. :-)

V seeing Stacey Earle in Colorado and Sue talking about the hot tub got me to remembering all the wonderful times we had while visiting my FIL when he lived in Colorado. He owned a pretty nice piece of property, way up in the mountains. In fact if you stood to the edge of his mountain you could look down and see Denver. He also had a hot tub and in winter, with snow all around us we all sat out in the hot tub (Sues right you dont feel cold at all). At night it was breathtaking lying there in the hot tub staring up at all the millions of stars...one of those "aha this is what lifes all about" moments. Great memories!

Marian yes, Im still working. It was crazy in December and January (lots of deadlines), but its slowing down quite a bit now. I kind of like the job, I mean its interesting, as Im learning a lot about tools...LOL! We mostly focus on electrical tools, drills, saws...even edge trimmers, etc., but there are a few things about the job that Im not so crazy about too much to get into now because, speaking of which, I need to get ready for work. BTW, did you tell me and I missed it? Do you normally get snow in winter where you live? And, what are the average temps there in winter? P.S. Thanks for sharing VGs message, it was great to hear from her and hope shell be able to pop in with a visit from time to time, though I understand she is going to be busy. How exciting about the mailorder!
Taryn I read your post on hormone imbalances, etc. You are so educated on your health...Im so impressed and totally understand about the "cant find anything wrong with you" situation. One of my good friends Charlene had gone through that for years. She kept on having these stomach pains and no one could find *anything*. Well many years later it did turn out that she had a problem. Everything turned out fine in the end and she was *so* relieved that they finally realized it wasnt "all in her head". Lots of tears and frustration for many years though. Anyway, I wanted to ask you...is there any *simple* way for me to detox? I think I would like to try, but when I read about what you had to do in one of these magazines it seemed so complicated, that I just know I wouldnt stick to it. Im an active member of the "keep it simple" club...LOL!

Glad to hear Eden is okay and hope shell pop in and share some more about what she is growing this year. Was it you Eden, who had Hydrangea Little Honey? If so, how do you like it and does the foliage keep that nice golden color? Does it get as big as other oak leaf hydrangea or does it stay small? Im also looking forward to pics of Bella!

Oh...I just refreshed to do my post and saw Eden! Hi Eden! :-)
Well, gotta go, have a great day all! Ei

Here is a link that might be useful: David Russell - Reflections of Spain

o

Hi Eden ! So glad to see you. We were worried about you!

Still thawing here, but we are socked in with fog. Rain in forecast, so we will have a muddy mess on our country roads.

I looked out this morning and thought "That looks like a Meadowlark in our yard." But we never have Meadowlarks here ( they are open area birds), so I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Than pretty soon Nolon said there was a Meadowlark out there! Wierd.

Marian

o

Happy Birthday Barb

o

Happy Birthday Barb!

o

What wonderful pictures for Barb's birthday.

Ei, thanks for a lovely spring walk thru your garden. We need that at this time of year. I am starting to get antsy for spring. Funny that you would mention the PW website, I was just looking at it before I read your post. They do have some very nice container combos, but I did think that some of the containers that I have seen here on the Idylls are even better. I just wanted to tell you how much I love your formal garden with the bricks.

Eden, good to hear that you are ok. Has Bella had her party yet? When is her birthday?

Marian, thanks for posting VGs message. I was wondering where she was.

Later,
Michelle

o

Hello Everyone, It looks like the NE Idyllers had a great time Saturday. I have enjoyed the pictures.

Well, we finally got some rain this past weekend. Only half and inch where we live though some areas got up to an inch. We aren't complaining, just thankful. They are forcasting there might possibly be more next week. The mountains got a good dusting of snow so Mt Baldy really is bald. They are so beautiful to look at it makes me wonder what it was like 75 years ago when the area was just Orange and Walnut groves and unobstructed views. Some of the old Citrus groves had Mt Baldy in the background of their packing crate labels. It has been really cold (for us anyway). The last couple of mornings it was 35 deg. at 6:30 a.m. Brrr! We have really been enjoying some nice fires (in the fireplace) in the evenings.

My nephew came with his new wife this last weekend. He brought us a load of firewood. We already have plenty for this year, but since we don't have a ready supply in this area we never turn it down. Anyway, we really enjoyed our visit with them.

Marian, I am so sorry for all the pain you are having. From the way you have described it, it sounds like what my mother is experiencing right now too. Is physical therapy an option for you at all? My mother was able to have one come to her home a few days a week. It really helped alot. Also, she is limited as to what pain meds she can take because of interaction with her other meds. It is important to work closely with your doctor and that you let him know how much pain you are in. I hope you get some relief soon!

Ei, thanks for the info on Stacey Earle. DH and I are big fans of her brother Steve. We listen to a syndicated radio show called Altville. I know they have played her on occasion, but I haven't managed to catch it. Your mention reminded my to check her out.

V, you mentioned that you had seen Stacey Earle in Colo. Was it by any chance at the Chattaqua in Boulder and if so, have you stayed there?

Honey, I love your window treatments. They are beautiful. You and Michelle are inspiring me.

I know there is more I wanted to comment on but I'll have to go back and catch up. Talk to you all later.

Grace

o

Marian ,thanks for passing along the message from VG. Good to hear from her. A medowlark huh? Its good that Nolan confirmed what you thought you saw.

Ei, the name of the color paint in my bathroom is Purple Moon. I do like it because it is subtle.
The color I wound up with in the laundry room is Cosmos, a nice blue. We made quite a bit of progress in there today, but still have a ways to go. Yesterday was a bust because I was out of sorts. DH couldn't do anything to suit me and I didn't even like myself. Today I was fine. Go figure.
I enjoyed seeing your spring garden today. A welcome sight.

Grace, how nice of your nephew to bring you firewood. It will be well seasoned by the time you do need it. I imagine the scenery was more beautiful many years ago. I cringe every time I see another farm or woodland turn into another subdivision.

Jasmine was on my lap again where I usually have the keyboard, so I laid it on top of her to type and she didn't even move. DH came in and I showed him. He said we needed to take a picture, but when he reached for the camera she moved. The only time she sits on my lap is when I am here in the computer chair. Crazy cat.

Eden good to hear from you.

I'm outa here for now. Norma

o

This is very strange. I have never had to log in, but am having to log in all the time now.

I remembered a couple of other comments I forgot to make.

Barb, I hope you had a nice birthday!

Ei, I loved the pictures of your garden! What is that small tree in the background of the tulips? Is that granite edging your beds. California has never seen the likes.

I am wondering how Yeona and her family are doing.

Martie, Hope you are feeling better! I miss your cheery posts.

V, looking forward to how DH & DD's trip went. How neat for your daughter that her dad got to show her Paris!

Take care all,

Grace

o

Good Morning All!

Thanks Michelle - Yes, I'm getting antsy for spring too, can you tell? LOL! I agree, the best container designs I have ever seen have come from the Idylls! :-)

Norma thanks for the paint name. We have no plans to paint anytime soon, but I love the names of your paints and the colors...which company is it?

Hi Grace! Funny, you and V both mentioned Stacey's brother. I have never heard his music (though I know he is the more famous singer). Does he sing country? That is slate on the ground. I was trying to imitate a dry river bed in that area and it works great, is easy to walk on, etc...I really like it. We have a stone supplier just about a mile from my house...you would be *amazed* at all the unusual and beautiful stone there is out there. I could spend the day just wandering around the yard staring at it all...LOL! Re the logging in. I have *always* had to log in before I could post. A few weeks ago I couldn't even get on this site at all, but thought all the problems had been ironed out.

Hmm...reading over my post, I started wondering if everyone thought I had a drinking problem. I hope you all know by "detox" I meant, purifying my body and ridding it of all toxins, not alcohol! Yikes! I was imagining poor Taryn frantically surfing the web, trying to find ways to help her poor friend with her drinking problem...LOL! There was probably a better way of putting it...

Oh well, have a great day! Ei

o

Good morning! Even though it's still somewhat wintery, spring is in the air. The sun is coming up earlier every day. Tomorrow I'm taking the afternoon off and going to the CT Flower & Garden show-take some pictures and browse the vendors. It will be great to see green and blooming plants in February.

Yesterday I placed a bulb order at Brent & Becky's-mostly cannas but I also picked up some Caladiums and a red abyssinian banana since I killed the one I had last year trying to bring it in the house. That should be it for on-line orders. I really need to shuffle plants and try to best place what I've already got before running out and buying a bunch of new stuff only to find out I don't have the right spot. Most of the open garden space in my yard right now is dry shade and part shade.

Ei, those are just gorgeous pictures! You midwesterners are always ahead of us in the spring. You wouldn't see that sort of growth and bloom here until at least May. Beautiful-can't wait to see it all in person (hopefully) at the idyllunion this summer.

OK, time to get serious. When does Mary get back? I'm anxious to see some Hawaii shots.

Sue

o

Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 9:52

Hidylls!
I'm actually feeling like I don't need to crash this morning, so am going to take advantage of that and get some seeds up on Ebay. But quicky for Ei about simple detoxing --and no I didn't think you were a lush, lol, though love your lushes (lucsious!) garden pics! LOL! All Barb's birthday pics were fab--where is the BD girl or did I miss her? Just barely skimmed text today.

Okay detox, see the link below for simple 7 day detox. But was just reading yesterday in a Canadian natural health magazine an article on a simple early spring detox plan. If you can incorporate some or all of these things into your diet: dandelion (tea and/or greens), artichoke, lemon (1 squeezed in hot water before meals), beetroot, red clover and milk thistle, you'll be way ahead. Lots of greens, fruits, legumes, whole grains, fibre are good. If you have a juicer, fresh juices are great. And if you can avoid things that stress the liver for a week, that will help it work better, such as caffeine, wheat, dairy, sugar, red meat, alcohol of course, anything processed or with trans-fats, chemicals and preservatives. Organic is best, but I find it expensive so just use Simply Clean fruit and veggie wash and soak for a few minutes, then rinse to remove toxins. Drink tons of water. But really, any change you make either way can only help.

I'm also taking a 30 day liver detox formula you take morning and night, which has a blend of supportive herbs and nutrients, called Renew Life 30 day cleanse, copy and paste this link for more info:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/631257624505.html

Very gentle for first time cleansers Eileen--have fun!

Hi to everyone! Must hit the juicer and the stepper and Ebay's turbolister before this rare energy disappears and I'm couch-bound...Have a great day all!

Taryn

Here is a link that might be useful: 7-day detox

o

Good morning, all -- Sue, Im envious of you going to the garden show, altho I have plans to go for a day myself in a couple of weeks to the Phila. one (but it's so crowded usually, it's kind of pain-pleasure thing to endure) -- but like you Im soooo anxious for Spring -- and heck, I hear calls again by Sunday for another "arctic chill" blowing in -- I do not think there's an early Spring this year - sigh.

Ei -- I agree -- your garden looks lovely! and I too love all the brickwork & stone work -- you have a center a bit like Im trying to do in my back yard (but I can't quite give up grass because it's Chloe's romping room) - but in a flash, I'd make walks like yours if she'd let me! And re the "detox" thing -- it made me smile & I thought of Desperate Housewives show -- if anyone saw the episode last Sunday, you're lucky a neighbor wasnt checking out your trash - LOL - but dont guess they'd find those 3 dozen wine bottles, uh?

V - looking forward to hearing what weather in Paris was -- sometimes I hear it can be as cold there as here - but I haven't kept up with it this year -- hope they had a great time!

And Marian - yes, thanks re the VG message - it's nice to know she's just really busy and will drop in again when she can. She leads an interesting life doesnt she?

Grace, Im glad you finally got some rain there - and hopefully in just the right "strength" - to seep into the ground instead of run-off. I sure do envy you the citrus groves -- I'd love to try to grow some (inside for me would be necessary) but dont really have good space for them - but Im still thinking about a container lemon tree this Spring to try out.

Well, I guess I better get back to the piles on my desk. Is it Friday yet? Why does it feel like it should be?

--Cindy

o

We got a dusting of snow this a.m. just to remind me that it is still winter ;o) The coleus cuttings that I took off my big Kiwi fern are just sitting there and not rooting. So Deanne I haven't set up a light table yet. I have received some of my seed orders. I may start a few indoors. Others may get wintersown.
Does anyone carry over their calla lilys? I had some for the first time last year. I dug them up and threw the bulbs in a flower pot on my potting bench. I noticed that they are sprouting. Should I pot them up now?

Grace, its nice that you got the rain that you need.

Martie, how are you feeling? Much better I hope.

Sue, which cannas did you order? I havent had cannas for several years and only ones I could get locally. I do have a canna that I kept in a pot for the winter. It is the one that was planted by the birds. The CT Flower show should be a nice taste of spring. We have to drive 3 hours to go to something like that.

I believe Mary was going to be gone 10 days and left last Thurs.

Have a good Thurday
Michelle

o

Some chuckles for the sick humor crowd...lol

Sue

o

Sue, I think I got the same email as you this morning!

DD & Dh had a great trip. Cindy, it rained every single day they were there! One day the rain was very cold and chunky. But of course it wasn't below zero. They some almost the entire Louvre in one long day. DD took 370 photos! They brought home 6 bottles of wine and a lovely box of handmade chocolates. Mystic stole one truffle! It must have been good; he licked his lips several times after he finished it off!

Deanne, on Sunday they went to a flower market where most of the cut flowers were orchids.

Grace, we saw Stacey Earle at the Folks Fest in Lyons, Colorado. It's a little north of Boulder. Although they offer on-sote camping, it sells out early. We stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, about 45 minutes or so west/northwest of Lyons. Would you be surprised if I told you that Lyons also has a great garden center?

Okay, time's a-wastin' and my typing skills stink today, so I think I'll post while I can!

V.

o

I made a new discovery at lunch here today -- Eden, Taryn and others who have "small" spaces -- there's a new forum started here at GW called "small spaces/urban" that's got some fun photos on it! (plus I see that the HGTV "Small Spaces" TV show is looking for places to shoot episodes for (see the Landscape Design forum) -- I nominate yours, Eden (altho I dont know the size of your home inside -- but it's so originally decorated from what I saw from your recent interior photos - go see the email).

Hopefully, I've not offended or missed anyone (not knowing all the sizes of everyone's homes or gardens) - so please forgive. But thought there were some very cool ideas for "space challenged" gardeners and wanted to mention it.

--Cindy

o

It is a blustery day once again...with white-outs out there. The squirrels have raided the feeders and have developed fat tummies. Charlotte loves to study them and chases them up trees.

Thought I'd share the kitchen progress. I tried to make these shots look as though things were finished...but in fact there's a long way to go. The color isn't accurate, but you can tell that it is brighter and cleaner than before!

Yesterday I simply couldn't stand it any more and broke down and purchased a rose and a sedum and some pink siberian iris. Come May I'll probably wonder where I thought I could fit them, but right now even the idea of plants is soothing.

I hope you enjoy your garden show Sue...and that everyone else has a fine weekend! That means Bella too of course!
'bug

o

Hello all. I am really busy at work but just wanted to log in and let you all know I really appreciated the birthday greetings and all the pictures...it really brightened my day !! It's a great feeling to know that even though I don't get to contribute as much as I would like everyone still remembers. Loved the pics...I will share some from here soon but be forewarned they aren't happy ones. I will be back to share more and thank you all so much again - great pictures and so thoughtful of everyone.

Cheers,
Barb

o

'bug you have a lovely kitchen! I hope the sunshine shows itself at your home soon. Charlotte chasing squirrels with fat tummies is a cute visual picture.

Barb, it is nice to 'see' you!

Marian, thanks for relaying VG's note. I wish them well for expanding their business. It must be busy & exciting days for them.

I received a Charlie's Greenhouse catalog yesterday, in it were some orchids. Lovely! I keep telling myself I don't need any........so far it is working.......

Well, there is nothing new or exciting here.......

Hope all are well.......and warm........and happy........

T.

o

T, look into my eyes. You are feeling drowsy. Your eyes are getting heavy.

Orchids are easy.

Orchids are easy.

You need an orchid.

You need an orchid.

Buy an orchid.

V. the enabler

o

LOL........darn it V but I'm sorry. I was holding a mirror up at the time you were hypnotizing me...it must have shot those enabling orchid rays right back at you. Why was I holding up the mirror? Well, I was looking in the magnifying side to see how my wrinkles were progressing after watching an infomercial by Victoria Principal about crow's feet, deep wrinkles and sun damage. It wasn't a good idea.......but it did bounce the rays back at V so not all was lost by doing it. ;o)

T. (yep, deep crow's feet, long wrinkles and just a mess--although one cannot have sun damage when there is no sun shining for most of the year.........)

o

Hi everyone, I think we're returning to winter again here for the weekend. It's been really warm the last few days but we're back to flurries and cold temps this afternoon. The sun is shining though which is always a bonus. I've been playing around with plants and seeds here and have ordered a few more tropical things, some hibiscus, begonias and fuschias. My coleus have developed a bad case of mealy bugs and I think I will have to just throw them out. I don't want them to start infecting other stuff. I guess that's what I get for neglecting them so much this winter. Bella's birthday is Sunday and I can't believe she's already one. I'll try to take some pictures at her party for you all to see.

Eileen, it's so good to see you back. I loved the pictures of your garden and just sat and took them in for quite a while. Thank you!

Marie, the kitchen's looking fantastic. It looks so bright and cheery in your photos even though I can see that it's still definitely winter there through your windows. I must confess that I went plant shopping yesterday too and bought a few tropicals, including a couple of begonias.

Cindy, I'll have to go and check that forum. My house and garden both definitely qualify as small. I always like to see how other people live in their small spaces. There's a show on HGTV called Small Spaces that I enjoy too.

V, sounds like dh and dd had a fabulous time in Paris. Those will be great memories for them both.

Sue, thanks for the cartoons. Pretty funny! I checked out the caladiums on the Brent and Becky website but they seemed expensive to me and they're so available around here that I think I'm just going to pick some up locally this year. That will be one less thing I'll have to get started this Spring. I'm thinking of ordering a couple of cannas too. The ones I have in pots in the basement are really starting to put out some growth the last week or so. Hope it's not too early.

Has anyone else kept brug cuttings rooting in water all winter. I have some in my kitchen window and they've done great all winter but are starting to get a lot of yellow leaves now and they are just a mass of roots. I wonder if it would be too soon to pot them up? Does anyone know?

Well, David just came in with dinner. Pizza for us tonight so gotta go for now.

Eden

o
RE: Idyll 254-Time to thumb your nose with pics

Here's pics of my new acquisitions...

Begonia Little Brother Montergomery

Begonia Marmaduke

Calathea

o

Marie - I think your kitchen looks lovely, crisp, clean & sparkly!! it's amazing what a coat of paint will do - do you feel good w/ it coming along like that? You've certainly worked hard enough - I think a little "me" garden present was the perfect reward for such hard work.

Wow, Eden I can't believe those plants - so lush and cool - I really like that calathea -- I really need to find some full sun "broad leaf" plants for my garden --(that are not huge plants) -- that's one of my critiques that I dont have enough foliage differentiation -- but it's hard to come up w/ hardy ones that aren't "gunnera" size (that would engulf my entire beds). Maybe the trick should be some container plants like that?

T- isnt it weird how those infomericials are so clever they "suck" you in - no matter what they're selling? I've seen some at 3 a.m. (if you have insomnia, there seems to be nothing but infomercials on at that hour) that have me writing down notes & phone numbers, regardless of what they are! Luckily it requires me to grope for my credit card as well which is safely on another floor.

Sue - that email circulated a couple of weeks in my area! weird how they get around!

Well, I've gotten sucked into the Dancing w/ the Stars & gotta go watch the finals....

-Cindy

o

GB, you are doing a good job. The cabinets look brand new. I have to decide now how to go with the cabinets I want to put over the washer and dryer. I wanted an antique look, but not sure if it would go with the stained beadboard. So I may buy unfinished ones and stain them the same.
It does look cold and snowy out your kitchen window. Do you have deep snow on the ground?

Eden,nice score on the plants. I really like the Begonia Little Brother Montergomery , I also like the one with the swirl pattern in the background. I remember that one from your containers. Hope to see pics of Bella on her birthday.

I was outside for a short time this afternoon. I have a few crocus blooming. I didn't stay out to long, the wind was a little chilly. Rode the fourwheeler to the mailbox and had to go slow so the old dogs could keep up. But even Rebel was panting hard. We need to get back to our daily walks big time.

I was up way to early this morning so I'm ready to go to bed and watch tv for awhile.

T, nice defense move with that mirror. LOL

Norma

o

Hey Ei... I'm watching Dancing with the Stars. Stacy Keebler actually -is- a wrestler. Yes... she's stunning and one heck of a dancer. She's the reason why I started watching the show in the first place. Now it watch it for her and to see Anna Trebunskaya, the professional dancer that's teamed up with Jerry Rice. She's just... stunning. I love her look and I've loved every single costume she's worn.

You know.. I came in today and mostly just scrolled to look at the pictures. I saw a name or two that I haven't seen before and noticed how many are gone.

I've been filling my time with yarn and fabric. This last week's been all about making a lovely skirt. If I finish ironing the seams tonight, I'll probably be able to finish it by tomorrow. I hope so. I've been working on it the last three days. It's just... lovely. I hope that it's as lovely put together as it is in pieces. I've got to grin because... of course.. it's black, V.

I'll be back with pictures when it's done. The show's on and I'm just far too distracted to really write this.

I don't know if these images will show up or not so I'll add a link under them just in case.

This is the fabric I've been living and dreaming the last few days. I'm working with the fabric on the far right. It's black with the palest pink flowers.

fabric

The pattern I'm working on is the skirt in the middle of the top row. I'll eventually make the black blouse that's in the middle pattern on the bottom row to wear with the outfit as well. Also intend to make a waist cincher as well as an underbust corset in the same fabric as the skirt to elongate the already long lines of the skirt. Also... later on.. I'll use the fabric that's on the left above to make another long skirt (but without the overskirt) because I absolutely love the style with the tiny little train. It feels so elegant.

patterns

Ok.... it's time to finish ironing those seams that I can finish sewing them tomorrow.

Later, ladies.

~Da, the quiet mouse in black

ps... I really really loved that birthday card that Deanne put up with the black and white border.

o

Greetings from Sick Bay. I am alive but my lifestyle and stress level caught up with me and I've been truly down for the count most of the week. Fever, chills, sleep, water, tea, fever, chills, another box of kleenex. Finally acquiecsed ?sp to the physical signs and stopped moving. You all know the drill.

Yesterday ventured out for the first time to, You Guessed It!!!!, Woodland Gardens greenhouse where they haven't yet potted everything up. Thus, scored a bunch of good inexpensive container plants. Then went home and crashed until this morning.

Have been trying to keep up with everyone. Glad to know VG may be back and really enjoying Ei's lyrical posts.

One more thing on the plant front then back to the couch: My Wave and Pirouette petunias are sprouting in the newly created ex-bathroom turned potting room that Rich concocted for me. YIPPEE!!! Spring, meteorologically, comes next week. That's close enough for me to not pay attention to the calendar :-)

Fading fast so "see" you later and don't be concerned if I don't get back really soon. I've got a lot of catching up to do but Promise I Won't Burn Myself Out.

Missed you Guys!!!!

Martie

o

Morning all,

A chilly 32 degrees out here this AM. Lots of clouds and I guess it is supposed to snow later. News on another front, Doug is going to have to have surgery on that toe of his. The arthritis is preventing it from bending and flexing properly and as a result he is getting very thick callus and those blisters that dont heal. Hes pretty bummed out but philosophical about it as it could be worse. They did a full range of blood tests and everything there is normal. Im working on another magazine article so will try to check in when I can in the next few days.

Da! Hey there, great to hear from you. Those fabrics and patterns are really lovely. Didnt that show make you want to take dancing lessons? LOL I do have to say that that foxtrot they were doing didnt look anything like the one Doug and I were learning. ~~ Thanks! Glad you liked the pic and frame. I found this new borders software that has hundreds of frames to choose from and it really is a lot of fun to play with.

Norma, I cant believe you have crocus blooming already! I dont have any crocus foliage even showing up yet but do have some tulips and narcissus foliage breaking ground.

Hi Eden, how great to hear from you. I love, love, love those plants. Are you going to use them in your outside containers this year? ~~ I still have brug cuttings in water and they are still doing OK. Mine did have some yellowing leaves but a month or so ago I started adding a bit of water soluble fertilizer to the water when topping them off and they are no longer getting yellow leaves. I dont know when Im going to pot mine up but want to wait as long as possible. The one cutting I did pot up Ive had to cut down twice.

T but orchids are good for dieting! You wind up playing with your orchid collection instead of eating. LOL~~ I got that Charleys Greenhouse catalog also and already ordered from it but not plants. They have some great high intensity fluorescent bulbs that produce twice the light as normal bulbs. I want to try them out. They should be great to get my large fuchsias going again.

V, so is that how you got me to buy those plants????? ~~ I could swoon to go to a flower marked where most of the flowers were orchids. How neat! So happy to hear they had a great time together in Paris.

Barb, thanks for checking in. Hope you had a good birthday.

Bug, your kitchen looks great. So clean and new! Makes me want to get out a bulldozer and rip mine out and do a remodel.

Sue, ROTFLMAO! ~~ have a great day at the garden show. Looking forward to pics.

Michelle, where do you have those coleus cuttings? Are they in a window where they get too much cold? Coleus dont like cold temps and just sulk if they arent warm enough. I have some under my lights in the basement and they dont do as well as the ones upstairs that get more heat.
Eileen I just absolutely loved all your garden photographs! What a breath of spring. Im SO ready for spring right now I can just about taste it. LOL

Grace, RE the login thing, check to see that you are checking the box to remember your password when you do log in. ~~ Glad to hear you got some rain. Have you not gotten enough rain this winter? It seems so strange that some areas get too much, much more than their average like up in the PNW and some areas are dry, dry, dry. Weve had a ton of precip here since September.

Marian, very cool you had a Meadowlark in your yard. They are such cheerful looking birds. It is always fun to have something unusual for a yard bird. A friend of mine here has a flock of Turkeys that hang out from time to time.

OK I really have to get off this computer and get my day started so Im off to the gym.

Have a great day everyone,
Deanne

o

TGIF!

Hey Da! Great to hear from you. I see you're keeping busy as always.

Martie, hope you feel better soon.

Gotta run-staff meeting at 8:30, another meeting at 10 and a short day for the flower show. With any luck I'll surface tonight with a bunch of pictures. The camera batteries are charging as we speak.

Sue

o

Happy Birthday Barb!!!! I hope it was fun!

Sorry I have no pic, but I am photographically challenged right now. I cant seem to make my pictures 50K anymore. I dont know what happened to my Photoshop. Either someone changed the settings, or I completely forgot how to do it. My son said that option wasnt there, I know he is trying to fob me off, so he doesnt have to explain anything to me. If any of you have ideas, please let me know.

I tried last week to post, but it disappeared, so will attempt a recap.

Deanne and gang, it sure looked like you were having a ball last weekend!

Honey, I really like your window treatment. Very elegant. I hope you are having a good week!

Taryn, I hope you have many visitors to your open house this weekend. Real Estate activity heats up in the spring. There should be more houses on the market to choose from, and hopefully someone will fall in love with yours!

Sue, I have been trying to remember the name of a plant I saw in your garden last year when I was there. The striking part is the foliage more than the flower. It is a very light colored leaf, with a darker sword kind of going down the middle. I can almost remember the name, but cant seem to get it to come to me. Maybe it starts with a P? Prince, King.I just cant remember. I remember looking for one last year, and couldnt find it anywhere. It is an uncommon variety of a more common plant. Wish I had taken a picture. I have found a source for Angelica Gigas this summer, and they also have Abutillion (I loved yours), and I thought maybe they would have that one, too. This nursery is about 2 hours away from me, they dont do mail order, so I want to have my list ready when I go. Otherwise I am sure I will get sidetracked, then be bummed when I get home without looking for the one I wanted.

Ei, so good to "see" you back! You are going to love Curves. I know a number of people who go, and they have wonderful things to say about it. My friend lost so many inches from doing the circuits.

Next week the Botanical Garden here is featuring Orchid Mania. I am really looking forward to going. Plus, an added benefit is that if I go between 11-1, I get in free because of where I work. I have never been there before, so I am definitely looking forward to the benefits of being within walking distance now. I ordered some seeds online from Renees Garden. The only other thing that has been happening at my house is final prep for the wedding.

Norma, your bathroom looks really nice. Last weekend we got a new light fixture for the kitchen, and it is amazing what a difference that one little change made.

Da, that fabric is so lush. I love the patterns. Back when I thought I might have sewing talent, I always looked at theirs, but everyone told me they werent for a beginner. They always have things that are so cool.

Deanne, Do you think that the new lights you bought will use twice as much energy? I dont have any interior light shelves, but am getting the bug to put some up. I want to try to get a head start on the season, with the thoughts that I might be able to contribute some flowers to Marys wedding.

Bug, your kitchen looks great! I love the cabinets and the tile counter tops.

Martie, glad you are feeling better.

I hope you all have a fun weekend!

Drema

o

Morning all,

Sunny but cold here this morning and chance of snow later. I'm counting the days until Spring now. I tossed all my coleus last night. It was hard to do because I've had some of them since 2001 but I can get all of them again and start fresh so it's ok. I'm planning on a seed starting marathon next week. Time to get going or it's going to be too late for some things. This is the latest I've went in years without having seeds going. Oh BTW, Martie, T and Cynthia(if you're reading), your pepper seeds are in the mail as of today. I'll drop them at the post office when I have to shop for Bella's birthday gift today. I'm thinking I'll work on her Spring wardrobe since she already has plenty of toys. And I'll probably add in a couple of books too. Other than that it's a housecleaning day for me today.

Martie, glad you checked in. Hope you're totally well really soon. It sounds like you've had a rough week. Great news that some of your seeds are sprouting.

Norma, it's so good to have you back posting regularly again. The begonia you mentioned you like is Escargot. That's one of my favorites too. I loved your bathroom pictures. It's so pretty.

Da, hi stranger, lol. I didn't know you were a seamstress too. Love those fabrics and can't wait until you post a pic of the finished outfit. Are you starting any seeds this year?

Hi Drema, good to have you check in too. Your son sounds like mine. He'll spend hours on his computer but never has time to help me out with problems I'm having on mine. I always threaten David by telling him I just may not be able to find time to do his laundry...

Deanne, thanks for the suggestion of putting some fertilizer in the brug water. Now why didn't I think of that. And to answer your question, yes, I bought the plants to use in my container gardens. Most of the new stuff I've purchased or ordered this year is for containers.

Cindy, I checked out the small spaces forum and you were right there are some neat pictures over there. I was especially interested in the ones of the narrow side yards as I have one of those I need to do more with. Thanks again.

Sue, please take lots of pictures to post this afternoon. I can't wait to see the ideas from the show. Oh and have fun. I sure wish we had something like that around here.

Marian, I googled the meadowlark. I've never seen one. Cool bird.

And Barb, glad you could pop in. Hope you have time for a longer post real soon.

And hi to Babs. Loved your Valentines cupcakes. I played Keebler elf on Sunday and baked around 14 dozen cookies for a friend who needed them for a work thing and doesn't bake.

Michelle, I don't think I told you how great I thought your bathroom turned out. And how about some Kenzie pictures? We haven't seen any in a while. What's she up to these days?

Bella will be here soon and I want to get a load of laundry folded before she makes an appearance so have a great Friday everyone.

Eden

o

Happy Birthday, Barb!

o

A quickie for now!

Drema, is the plant you're thinking of Tovara 'Painter's Palette'? Check the link.

Da, glad you checked in. I knew you'd like that photo border; it so just looked like your style. I envy your ability to sew! (I can replace buttons and that's about it.)

Deanne, sorry to hear that Doug has to have surgery, but you're right it could have been worse.

I saw four snow geese this morning from my office window. They are not common in this area so that was cool.

Gotta run!

V.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drema's plant?

o

When I bought the plant it was called Persicaria 'Painters Palette'. Don't anyone buy this. It's been a fairly heavy seeder in my shade gardens. The seedlings are easy to yank but I usually have more than enough and have sent them to people through the mail successfully. Drema, I wish I had remembered to dig a few up for you when you were here last year.

Michelle, maybe I can toss a few into the package when I send you the variegated Solomon Seal.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here