Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningmary

Idyll 253 - Get Well Soon

gardeningmary
18 years ago

Hoping all those with flu, fever, colds, colic (Boo!), bike accidents, or simply the winter doldrums feel better very soon.

Comments (105)

• honey_mi
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy Valentines Day, Idylls!

{{gwi:150790}}

Brief drive by today. I HAVE to get this project done so I can get this pit cleaned up. Im so tired of the mess I made. Im going to have to layout the fabric on the basement floor its the only place where I have enough open floor space.

I have a snow memory to share. In the 70's, we got a huge snowfall the Monday before Thanksgiving. The snow was waist high. As a single Mom with a RWD car, there was no hope of getting out of my street. I looked forward to having a couple days off to putter around the house, until my boss called. Despite the rest of the company not having to report to work, he was picking me up in his 4WD!! I won't share the words I was thinking at the time. We were the only 4 in the whole co. that worked that day! He did, however, bring in pizza for us for lunch. It was the pits to have to work when no one else was in!

Oh, Martie, that is so funny about the kids being your "official" local weather bureau. When we moved in here the neighborhood kids updated us on all the gossip. The boys were the worst, lol. I wouldnt repeat things they told us. And they were so sincere and intent on us understanding who REALLY did what to whom and how things came down. They were a hoot.

Grace, I look forward to your telling us more about those palms. I thot they were shallow rooted. Its so interesting to hear you talk about plants from your fair weather perspective.

Deanne, poor Doug, being blamed for your shiner.

Mary, are you getting excited?! Arent you leaving for Hawaii this week?

OK, gotta get some breakfast and get on the stick here. Hi to all. Have a great day!

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Good morning and Happy Valentines Day! Weve got a bright, sunny day here and its supposed to get up to the high 40s. I may go for a walk after work if theyre not lying to us.

In the category of "You Just Cant Win" we got a second dog bed yesterday so that the two dogs wouldnt "argue" over who got how much of the one dog bed. So now they tussle over who gets the new bed! Its funny to watch their little territorial moves. One will lay down on the new bed and not move so that the other doesnt steal the spot. Theres even been some friendly growling. We may have to get a second new bed to settle this. The new bed definitely is fluffier than the old one.

Friday night Mystic started to get a little weird. All of a sudden, his fur went up, and he ran from one door to the next, barking and sniffing frantically at the bottom of the door. I thought perhaps he heard coyotes outside, so I went to the door to the screened porch and cracked it open to listen. I stood there about ten seconds not hearing a thing, but then it hit me SKUNK! I slammed the door shut before the smell could really get into the house. The skunk must have sprayed something relatively near by. Obviously Mystic could smell it through the crack of the door. Yes, the next time we took the dogs out we kept both of them on leashes! The smell had dissipated by then.

Martie, thanks for all the info on HGTV. We dont get cable and a few years ago I was very tempted to get satellite so that I could enjoy the gardening shows on HGTV. Needless to say, Im glad I didnt make that move.

Mary, since I always forget to comment at the right time, I will wish you a lovely trip now while Im thinking of it. Hope you have the chance to make some great family memories!

Norma, the pots and the plant stand will go out on the deck when the weather warms up. The smaller pot will get planted soon with a variegated kalanchoe cutting that a coworker gave me. Its been rooting in water like nobodys business and needs to get into some soil. I had to buy another pot because I didnt have one small enough. (yeah, right) So what did DH say when I brought home two pots? "Oh, Farm & Fleet just got in some really nice large pots." I think he is another pot enabler

Honey, sorry to hear about the continued assaults on your plant budget. I checked your link interesting! Not too much in our immediate area, so thats nice to know. I had to chuckle, theres an area not too far from us that has a sort of "trailer trash" reputation. Amazing to see how many of those little boxes clustered in that area! Sometimes bad reputations are deserved.

Grace, interesting that some employers are checking on MySpace! When you read some of the profiles, you know that these kids arent thinking that anyone beyond their close friends would ever see this stuff. Im sure some of the profiles are exaggerated to make themselves sound cool, but some of that may come back to bite them!

Psst, Deanne I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU TOO! Ive checked the weather forecast here and there and it looks like there will be no major precipitation events to disrupt things, and I think I actually miss one day of really cold weather by heading east (we have two in our forecast.) Ive got to get the Hawaiian shirt ready. I wont scare you all by wearing shorts, though.

Hope everyone has a lovely day today!

V.

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day,Idylls XOXOXOXO

~Roses are red
    Sun,melts the snow
    I shoulda been grocery shopping an hour ago!

(you guys mean so much to me that I'd sacrifice food for my starving family to give you a pretty pic-now that's dedication and loyalty,no?)lol
    {{gwi:150791}}

Hug someone today: )

~Babs

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Not gone just yet!

Norma-thanks for asking: ) The cupcakes are above(lol)and I got two of the three pairs of pants hemmed. I was on a roll!Oops but I did ruin my first batch of frosting from scratch at 9pm lastnight trying to get the cakes finished...and had to use a quick less yummy recipe(my original is a recipe that tastes like whipped cream but it takes a long time to make)

Deanne-HECK,Everybody in the whole WORLD!~ CHRIS WROTE HIS LAST SENTENCE OF HIS DISSERTATION ROUGH DRAFT LAST THURSDAY(on my mom's bday)!!! Sorry for the big voice but it's biggie. He has to smooth various sections then submit it to his comittee this week. It almost sounds like he'll be done by summer(I won't hold my breath but at least the end is surely in sight.

The news about MIL isn't so great-she's having difficulty with swelling and it was so bad she couldn't make it to the doctor's today and can't wear her prosthetics. Hopefully by Thurs. she will be recovered enough to see the Dr. This is the worst time for Chris since he has tons on his plate and his sister(notice I didn't use DS-cuz she's not)is up to her usual passive aggression and insensitive zanyness.

Life is chock full of ups and downs...that said,I need to go grocery shopping~

Bye!

~babs

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Good afternoon!

It is nice and sunny here, not too cold. We only had about 14" of snow, and we really couldn't ask for better timing of that storm - nobody had to drive to or from work in it!

We are going over to my mother's house after school for frosting heart-shaped cookies and snowmobiling - guess which activity this winter outdoorswoman is more interested in! The cookies are awesome, they are sugar cookies but they are hard when baked and are best after at least 24 hours so the frosting can soften them up.

Babs, lovely cupcakes - are those dove hearts on top? Congrats to Chris for reaching a milestone with his dissertation. How long has he been working on it?

Honey, so sorry about your friend who is ill. That must be so difficult. Our town posts the registry of local offenders on the police website. It is somewhat reasurring, but the devil you don't know can be worse. The registry is only for people who have been convicted; not those who were arrested and never charged, or worse yet have not been caught.

T, congrats on the lovely harvest of road apples from Boo!

Norma, pretty pics of your bathroom. I like your collection of baskets.

V, your narrative about the dogs getting territorial over the new bed was cracking me up. My brother's dog won't use the dog pillow he has. My DD tries to encourage him to lay down on it, but he'll only put his head on it for a little while, probably just to please her.

Speaking of DD, I have to go search for her missing glove - can't drive a snowmobile with just one glove!

Happy Valentines Day!

-Wendy

• taryn
    18 years ago

HAPPY VALETINE'S DAY!

From the boys:

{{gwi:150792}}

And from me:

{{gwi:150793}}

(Guess what I'm still up to?)

Have a LOVE-ly day all...

T

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone

Thank you for the wonderful valentines - a feast for the eyes. Seeds, cupcakes, and gorgeous flowers, what more could you ask for?

I am getting super excited about our trip - we leave first thing Thursday morning. However, I'm also feeling frazzled thinking of all I need to get done before I go, both at work and at home. If I don't have a chance to check in tomorrow - we have Girl Scouts, Karate and Little League registration all on the same night - I'll wish everyone the best now.

I'll be thinking of all the North Easterners and V partying it up at Deannes at the weekend, and toast you with a Mai Tai.

Enjoy the break from school for those whose kids are off, and stay warm and healthy everybody.

Aloha

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Honey, interesting link. The only one near us is a guy we rented our pasture to several years ago. Creepy huh? Pretty bouquet, is that from your DH?

Grace, I love hydrangeas, I bet it makes a pretty bathroom.

Norma, I bought angelina last fall also. I love that color.

Deanne, thanks for the beautiful Valentine card. Im with you about liking to be up early, but just not wanting to get up. I have started getting up at 6:20 which is 10 min. earlier just to have a little extra quiet time.

Babs, what a wonderful presentation of the cupcakes. What fabulous news for Chris (and you) Im sorry to hear that things are such a struggle for your MIL.

Taryn, cute Valentine with the seeds, perfect for gardeners.

Mary, I wish you and your family a fabulous time on your trip.

Happy Valentine's Day

Michelle

• just_t
    18 years ago

What a day! I need a sign.......you know, one of those signs that Andy Rooney talked about.......just so that people will know I'm stoooopid before I open my mouth? Geesh! I bought DH a Valentine's card. I'm talking on the phone with my mother and I am multi-tasking (one of my mistakes)and I write James...then I think "the envelope looks a bit bare with just his name on it", so I write Happy and then I write Birthday. ARUGH! Birthday not Valentine's Day. Sheesh! I do save the envelope though by going to the computer and printing off Deanne's gorgeous Idyll Valentine pic above. I cut it down a bit so it covers all of my writing and thanks to Deanne, he'll never know...or rather, he won't be reminded that I'm a space cadet all too often. Darn it all anyway!

Today has been a no good, bad, awful, rotten day. The farrier came to trim Boo's hooves and he was running late so I stood out in the snow, with a horse on lead for 45 minutes. I did spend some of that time brushing Boo while he munched on grass, his belly making lovely loud belly sounds (it is those little things in life!!) and then he littered the driveway with apples.....First time I was tickled to have that mess on the driveway. I wonder when I'll get past being tickled about seeing horse manure?

I need to get a life!

Went to town, bought one of the 3 Valentine cards left in the store (why do I wait until the last minute?--get that sign again). Anyway, won't go through the whole blessed day but suffice to say......I bought 2 huge monstrous Cadberry candy bars---ate one on the way home and hid the other one in my sewing room. I just know I'm going to be needing emergency chocolate some time in the not so distant future.

I think I need to go start making my sign......a big one. I've got lots of examples to write on it. :oP

(Babs, such great news about Chris' dissertation being so near to completion! I hope his mom is better soon.)

I miss so many of the quiet Idylls. Hope they are okay.

My best to all.........

{{gwi:150794}}

• hollyhock2006
    18 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I saw Honey's post and had to respond. I am so sorry about your friend. My father passed away from Pancreatic Cancer a little over eight years ago. As someone who was by his side throughout his 18 month illness I will tell you what I think. It is so wonderful that she has a friend like you that cares so much. Continue to call and leave messages if necessary. If you don't hear from her send her little "thinking of you" cards now and then. When you do talk tell her stories about your everday life. The ones about all the cute/funny things Bullet does come to mind. Offer to provide a meal. It doesn't have to be home cooked. When you're hungry and too weak to cook almost anything is good. I know your caring concern is appreciated and you won't be sorry you made the effort.

Mary, hoping you and your family have a great trip and yes, don't forget to have a Mai Tai. mmm!

Deanne, I'm glad you're feeling better. I never got the chance to tell you that your butterfly picture is beautiful. The detail is incredible!

I saw another sure sign of Spring in SoCal this morning. The Parrots are back. There is some debate as to whether they are descended from what was at one time someone's pet or if they migrated up from Mexico. There are a couple of different species. They are all green about 10 in long. Some have red markings. The ones in my neighborhood are all green. A lot of people don't like them because they can be rather raucous, but they don't bother me. I'd rather listen to them than crows.

I haven't been out to look at the palm destruction yet as they both have the flu. My guess at this point as to what caused the problem is that they were planted in a raised planter that is approx 12" high by 30" deep. The roots grow in a fibrous ball. As they were 30 yrs old, they may have just taken all available space and had nowhere else to go. I told her I would work on a couple different options and they could decide later.

I went to Trader Joes the other day and was reminded of Cynthia. I miss her.

Well, that's all for now. Happy Valentines Day all!

Grace

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Happy Valentines Day

{{gwi:150795}}

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

Honey, was good to hear your friend was finally able to call you. I know it is tough on you too.

Martie , to funny about the 11 yr old boys being so precise. I can relate because I have a barely 12 yr old grandson. And he knows everything. Just ask him? LOL , actually he is pretty smart. He has always been a quick learner and I am always reminding him to be patient with his three yr old brother, because he thinks he should get things right away too. At least he does play with him. I was afraid he wouldn't want to be botherd because of the age difference. He is very protective of him too.

Deanne, I have been sleeping later this winter than I have for years. (Still not late by other peoples standards.) I think just because I had no real reason to get up. Now that I have projects going, I'm more ready to get up. Like I told a friend the other day, " I feel like it is quiting time around 3 or 4 pm so If I don't get moving a little earlier I don't get much done."
    Pretty card-Pretty flowers!

Oooh Honey yours are pretty too!

V, funny about the dogs and the new bed. I have seen Rebel get up and run about like something is happening , to fake Keebler out, so he could get the favored spot. Before this last cold spell , we had been smelling skunks too.
    Have a safe trip to Deannes.

Mary, don't know if you will have time to read this, but happy vacation to you and yours.

Babs I love your little poem, and the cupcakes look like a real treat. Hmmmnnn, I need chocolate, wonder what I can find. May have to settle for a capachino.
    Good for Chris, bet that will be a load off his mind when it is all finished with. Sorry to hear his mom is having more problems.

Hey Wendy, I love snowmobiling too. Hope you all had fun.

Taryn, how clever that you made a valentine with your seed packets. Thanks to the boys for sharing with us.

Michelle, I like quite time in the morning too. When I worked I always got up early enough to have some, and that is why I dislike DH turning on the TV first thing in the morning too.

T, So good to see BOO! I get great joy from the small things in life too.
    Maybe you've seen this before. My DIL sent it to me today.

Good things to remember.......
    I am Thankful :

FOR THE WIFE
    WHO SAYS IT'S HOT DOGS TONIGHT,
    BECAUSE SHE IS HOME WITH ME,
    AND NOT OUT WITH SOMEONE ELSE.

FOR THE HUSBAND
    WHO IS ON THE SOFA
    BEING A COUCH POTATO,
    BECAUSE HE IS HOME WITH ME
    AND NOT OUT AT THE BARS.

FOR THE TEENAGER
    WHO IS COMPLAINING ABOUT DOING DISHES
    BECAUSE IT MEANS SHE IS AT HOME,
    NOT ON THE STREETS.

FOR THE TAXES I PAY
    BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I AM EMPLOYED.

FOR THE MESS TO CLEAN AFTER A PARTY
    BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE
    BEEN SURROUNDED BY FRIENDS.

FOR THE CLOTHES THAT FIT A LITTLE TOO SNUG
    BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I HAVE ENOUGH TO EAT.

FOR MY SHADOW THAT WATCHES ME WORK
    BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I AM OUT IN THE SUNSHINE

FOR A LAWN THAT NEEDS MOWING,
    WINDOWS THAT NEED CLEANING,
    AND GUTTERS THAT NEED FIXING
    BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE A HOME.

FOR ALL THE COMPLAINING
    I HEAR ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT
    BECAUSE IT MEANS
    WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH..

FOR THE PARKING SPOT
    I FIND AT THE FAR END OF THE PARKING LOT
    BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM CAPABLE OF WALKING
    AND I HAVE BEEN BLESSED ! WITH TRANSPORTATION.

FOR MY ! HUGE HEATING BILL
    BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I AM WARM.

FOR THE LADY BEHIND ME IN CHURCH
    WHO SINGS OFF KEY BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I CAN HEAR.

FOR THE PILE OF LAUNDRY AND IRONING
    BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I HAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR.

FOR WEARINESS AND ACHING MUSCLES
    AT THE END OF THE DAY
    BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE BEEN
    CAPABLE OF WORKING HARD.

FOR THE ALARM THAT GOES OFF
    IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS
    BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM ALIVE.

AND FINALLY, FOR TOO MUCH E-MAIL
    BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE
    FRIENDS WHO ARE THINKING OF ME.

SEND THIS TO SOMEONE YOU CARE ABOUT. I JUST DID.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

OK, just lost a whole message and have no time to retype.
    Happy Valentines Day!

Sue

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

Michelle, I like the old fashion valentine cards. Are they really old or reproductions? Norma

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Norma-I liked your poem-all things that are so true and we don't always take a moment to see the good in things that irritate us: )
    I'm glad you are here more these days-I've always enjoyed your posts.

Michelle I agree that those valentines are pretty-I love vintage things like that. I have a boxful of valentine's from at least the 1920's if not earlier that belonged to Chris' grandma. I always think I need to display them somehow and never get around to doing anything. I suppose when I run out of other stuff to do....hmm.

I apologize that I haven't read close enough so I feel like I'm leaving out things I wanted to say.

I do recall that I wanted to say to Taryn-I felt bad for Shane and his own online mishap-thank goodness you and Glenn were there to stop it. Thanks V and others about telling us about myspace. Aj hasn't mentioned it though he really doesn't surf-he mostly sticks to PC games these days and that's fine with me. We do discuss the dangers of being online to him and for now he's afraid of the posibilities we've talked about. I'm sure one day he'll get more adventurous-that's always a worry.

Taryn-Tell your little guys thanks for the valentines! You are a clever one-a perfect gardener's valentine. And those are the seeds you'll be sending me? lol

Honey hang in there, girl. I do hope that eventually your ailing friend lets you come see her; that must be so tough to want to spend time with her and not know when she'll let you. Does she realize how much it means to you? She's lucky person to have such a good friend in you.

Wendy-yep, those are Dove chocolates: ) The cupcakes were a hit(chocolate candy ontop always a guarantee of a hit). Get this,my forgetful little AJ forgot the container of six leftover cupcakes on the bus coming home today...I called the bus garage to see if I could pick them up-they said just stay home,the bus driver will drop them off on his way home from work-lol. I thought that was so nice so I gave Mr.Busdriver a plate of cupcakes to take home(no not the mangled ones that obviously got tossed around the bus; )

Lots of great pics here today-nice to see.

Tomorrow I'm breaking out the bikini-it's going to be over 50F-where's my blow up pool...Taryn do you still have Homer?

~Babs

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Good golden morning! The sun is coming up and everything is a wonderful warmish orange color reflecting off the snow. It'll be gone in two minutes but Wow!

Mary - Have a wonderful, wonderful trip! So if the kids don't make Girl Scouts and karate it's because they're Hawaii-Bound. Who cares at this point? Se le vive!! (?sp) Don't miss LL sign-ups though (that coming from a former local president and huge supporter of LL baseball).

Babs - ummmmmmmm Dove chocolates...... What nice bus drivers you have. AJ's been having kind of a tough week, huh? Congrats to Chris and good thoughts to his mom. What is the subject of his dissertation?

Taryn: Good, good, good for you and Doug to be so close to the computer at the right moment. When Ky started on the internet there was very little in the way of child protection and I spent a lot of time hovering. It sounds as though, despite the techy advances, that not much has changed. That's too bad, and it infuriates me to hear some parent say "well, when I was a kid we looked at Playboy." A bit different in my feeble mind!!!!! Love the valentines, BTW.

And all the pictures -- gorgeous!

Grace: Parrots in your backyard? Palm trees in raised beds? No worries about overwintering? That's it. I'm morphing. LOL

Really looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. Weather is supposed to be dry. That's all that matters to me!

T: Welcome to my card procrastination club! I never got as far as the store ... Good reason, though: Rich's "other" wedding anniversary was, you guessed it, Valentine's Day. Even though I get along really well with his former wife/daughter's mother, it's not a holiday we go overboard on and Ky is getting too "old" for valentines from mom. Oh, well! Love the pic of Boo. Grays have always been a fav of mine.

And another Terrier wins Westminster! Think they'll be an inquiry~~~~

The snow city stands. Resident population has increased as the kids from the next street over got wind of construction and the fact that some "old guy" was willing to help. Made a quick trip around the neighborhood to be sure all parents understood that we were not trying to suffocate their kids of anything collapsed. Kids were one step ahead and had the littlest ones get on top of the roofs one at a time. They figured if four of them could be on top without caving in everything was safe. Sounded like a plan to me with the ABSOLUTE understanding that No One was to be in there without someone being outside. Rich was standing there like a little kid himself listening and shaking his head at all the right moments. I Give Up.

Stuck inside for training again today and really wish I was on the road given the sun and clear skies. Tomorrow ...

Hi!!! to everyone.

Martie

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good sunny morning all,

Well, I guess winter is going to thumb it's nose up at us because it is supposed to be windy and 18 degrees on Saturday, I guess there won't be too many takers for a dip in the hot tub! But, as Martie said as long at it isn't snowing, icing, sleeting or other frozen precip-ing I'll be content.

Martie, the saga of the snow fort is too funny. We used to do that when we were kids and I loved playing in the tunnels. ~~ Bummer you are stuck indoors on a nice sunny day like this.

Sue, sorry you lost your post. I hate it when that happens.

Babs, Dove chocolates on cupcakes??? Wow, no wonder they were a hit and how neat that the bus driver dropped them off at your house. Nice folks. ~~ Congratulations to Chris on getting that done! You must be so happy! but sorry his Mom isn't doing too well. I don't know how Chris has persevered with that worry hanging over his head.

NOrma, love the quote, it really is a recipe for being happy to be thankful for what one has and not focus on the negative. ~~ I was able to get up at 6:30AM today and I'm shooting for 6 for tomorrow. If I can consistently get up at 6 for a week then maybe next week I can make it a bit earlier.

Michelle, love the old fashioned Valentine's Cards.

Grace, thank you, so happy you liked the painting.

Taryn, very clever! Love the seeds.

T, nice to see Boo!

Mary, you guys have the best, most wonderful vacation of your lives. We'll raise a toast to you on Saturday.

OK out of time and have to get to the gym then finish getting this house cleaned up for the weekend.

Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

For those who were wondering, the Valentine cards are from my grandma. I have them in a collage. Babs, Im sure you could do something very creative with yours. I can see why the cupcakes were a hit.

I think we are in for a weather change. We are supposed to get 6-12" of snow this afternoon and into tomorrow. Then temps dipping below 0 at night. The bright side is the garden will have a nice blanket first.

We decided not to fight the crowds last night and stayed home. I picked up precooked prime rib, twice baked potatos, green salad makings and shrimp cocktail at the store and we had a nice romantic meal. Then we watched the Westminister dog show.

Norma, thanks for reminding us to be thankful in all things.

Grace, I saw a story on TV recently about the controversy of the parrots that are in San Francisco.

T, its nice to see a picture of Boo. LOL on the emergency chocolate.

I wonder what Eden is up to? I miss everyone that is missing or quiet.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Although we have still not had winter precipitation it is looking pretty threatenng out. It is 49F out, but cloudy and very windy. The temps are predicted to plunge later ths week, and remain at highs in the 30s! If it continues to be cloudy I am expecting to suffer SADD. :-(
    I still do not feel up to snuff, and my crippled right shoulder and arm are giving me fits.I am having a hard time trying to type. It's pretty much all left-handed!

I am amazed at the depth of the snow in the Northeast.
    I hope all who have to travel will be very cautious.
    It makes for a beautiful scene, but soooo treacherous.

Marian

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Still need to log in to participate here. Woody emailed me yesterday to say she has given up with the nonsense and won't be trying here any longer. She sent a photo of the finished benches and they are really handsome! I hope she is able to plant them up soon. She is keen to start her next garden project already. I believe Chelone feels the same way.

Today I joined friends on a nursery outing, to escape more painting. I ended up buying more white amaryllis, a beautiful begonia and some echeveria to plant in my new clay pot that I bought at our hort society conference last Sunday.

Also tidied up the indoor plants: grasses, heather, streptocarpus, etc.

Bon Voyage Mary! The last time I saw Hawaii was in the 1980s and it was wonderful. One of my fondest memories is of swimming with zillions of multicoloured fishes.

'bug

Back to painting now I'm afraid. Storm warnings for the next two days with freezing rain.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Well the weather is just gorgeous today-sunny and 50s. Too bad it's a weekday. Supposedly more of the same tomorrow, then warm and rainy on Friday then cold again. At this point I just take the weather one or two days at a time because the forecasts are rarely accurate beyond that. In a couple of weeks, winter starts to break up anyway.

Work is busy again this week. The auditors are still here but they seem to be winding things up.

Enjoyed the valentines. Does everybody remember being in grade school and giving a valentine to all of your classmates? Do kids still do that? My mom used to make cupcakes all the time in those good old days.

Have fun in Hawaii, Mary! It's at the top of my list of places to visit. Unfortunately it takes so long to get there from the east coast and I'm not a good traveller. We were lucky to get direct flights to Salt Lake City next month. Our flight leaves Hartford at 6:40 AM and with the time change, we'll be there at like 10:30 AM local time.

We have a problem with some sort of wild parakeet here in CT, believe it or not. Apparently they make these huge nests on utility poles that cause fires and other sorts of problems. A couple of months ago there was a big bru-ha-ha because the power company was trapping the birds and euthanizing them. People went to court and got them to stop but I don't think that's the end of it. I was surprised to hear birds like that could live outside in this climate.

I'm all set for Deanne's on Saturday. The pet sitter has been scheduled to come in and feed the mutts dinner so we won't have to rush home. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE EVERYONE!

Sue

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

For your viewing enjoyment...the rarely photographed Florida squirrel...lol.

{{gwi:150796}}

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone

Sue - I love the squirrel! So do you think the parakeets survived the snow storm?

T - did I mention what a handsome fella Boo is?

Marian - I hope you find some relief for your shoulder and arm. I 'll send some bright sunshine your way from Hawaii to help with the SAD!

Martie - I'm taking your advice and not feeling guilty about skipping Girl Scouts tonight. Part of the reason is I also need to register David for Little League! So you were a past president? Cool!

Babs - congratulations to Chris - a monumental achievement.

I'm waving to all those I might have missed. This group is very special. I too have to log in every time (it's 2 typed words for me), but feel it is a small investment to keep in touch with a group that has provided much support, friendship, inspiration and humor over the years. To be given a peek into so many different lives is an honor. I'll greatly miss those who choose not to return but continue to enjoy the company of those who stay.

Till our return

Mary

PS Deanne - I'll email you DH's suggestion for paper.

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

It's curious that some are having to log in . I am not having that problem. It only happened to me a couple of times since things have straightened out. I am sure sorry for all that aren't that fortunate, and sorry to hear that Woody is giving up. I wonder if she notified the administration it would be fixed??
    I have the forum in my bookmarks, and connect from there.

Mary, I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii!

~Marian~

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

LOL on the Florida squirrel.
    Mary, my sentiments exactly. I don't have to log in all the time, but its worth it. What friendship doesn't take a little work? :o)

I'm so envious of the mini Idyllunion this weekend. I bet Deanne's garden is interesting even in the winter.

I think someone needs to hide my credit card. I've ordered from 5 gardening sites so far. The only thing that I didn't get that I was looking for is angelica gigas. I put that on my list after hearing talk of it here. The one place I found it, they had a minimum order of $30 and that sort of annoys me.

Eden, if you are lurking, did you mention that you grew calamagrostis brachytricha from seed? I ordered some seeds off ebay.

Later
    Michelle

• just_t
    18 years ago

I resemble that squirrel! ;o) (slippers and furry legs--just kidding on the furry legs!)

Mary, I hope you & your family have a wonderful time....I hope I'm not too late for you to see my best wishes.

'bug it is good to see you, you are missed! I'm sorry that you are still having difficulty with logging in and that Woody is too.....I miss her also.

I hope that the gathering this weekend is as much fun as all of us are guessing it will be. I bet it is going to be wonderful!

Norma, I enjoyed the 'thankful' essay you shared, thank you.

I wasn't home much of today so need to go clean up the kitchen and get a load of laundry done before bedtime.

I hope all are well.......

T.

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good morning all,

Another gorgeous sunny day here and it is supposed to be in the mid forties. Yesterday was 55 degrees!!! Wonderful. It is hard to believe that it is going to get cold again for Saturday. Bummer. If it was going to be in the 50's we actually could have been outside but I'll take any weather without snow at this point.

RE log in. I found that I had to re-check the box to remember my password on the site, even though I'd already done it before. For some reason it didn't remember that it was supposed to remember me but I've finally fixed the problem. Bug and Woody, have you checked that box on the log in page?

Hi T, How's the weather out that way?

Michelle, I think I need to have all my credit cards burned. After Sue mentioned the Eddie Bauer sale I had to nip over there and pick up a few things. I'm incurable. Now I'm about to start my spring garden ordering and I really need to start earning money before I spend any more.

Mary, Bon Voyage! Thanks for the information on the paper.

Sue, ROTFLOL! !~Yes I do remember giving a valentine to all my classmates but I really don't send out any cards anymore.

HI Marian, and Bug....

OK time to get to the gym and spend the day and finish spiffing up this house. I de-catted the guest room for V last night.

Have a wonderful day everyone,
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

I shall provide the counterpoint to Deanne's "nice weather" post. Think of your least favorite type of nasty weather. That's what we are having right now. All of it, all at once. We had sleety snow last night that's still on the ground. Now we have wind, rain, thunder, lightening, toss in a little hail as I'm typing! Yeech! Ahem, make that a lot of hail...

The good news - this will clear out by tonight, so it's clear flying tomorrow!

V.

• taryn
    18 years ago

Good icy morning,
    The entire Region (county) of Waterloo's schools are closed today, as freezing rain has made a skating rink out of the area. The boys are heartbroken--NOT! LOL! They are snowboarding at the big hill at their school, which beats schoolwork any day. Martie, they'd have loved your fort too.

I sure hope the weather forecast is right and it goes up to mid 40s and rains. The boys have a teacher training day tomorrow (4 day weekend now!) and I'm supposed to be meeting my SIL in Toronto with them in the afternoon, as she's taking them to her place in the snowbelt, Horseshoe Valley, to play with their cousins for the weekend! Whee, a weekend sans kids! That hasn't happened in a while. Maybe Valentine's Day will put in a late appearance...

Actually I'm staying in Toronto Friday, going to my Mum's for lunch, then my friend Dawn's to hang out and spend the night. Glenn was supposed to be jamming with his band, but I just got a call that it's cancelled, so maybe he'll come and hang out with Jason while Dawn and I catch up. Saturday I'm hooking up with my sis for the afternoon and another sleepover, possibly with her beaux Matt and Glenn. That doesn't sound right, lol, so let me rephrase--don't know if this will be sans the menfolk or just the girls, but we'll be staying over at my DS' place either way. Sunday Glenn is meeting buddies to watch Daytona 500. I'd like to check out a couple of open houses if possible, but it will depend on when I'm meeting SIL again to get the boys. I sure hope the weather cooperates, know it has thwarted plans for a few Idylls lately, and mine in the past. But I really need to get away from housework, laundry, Ebay and seeds for a while, and the boys are really excited about spending 3 days with their cousins.

Deanne I am gradually adding in the complex carbs, but need to monitor how I feel and make sure I don't get in trouble with my blood sugar again. Am re-acquainting myself with my breadmaker, and hoping to find a wheat-free recipe that actually rises well. Missing Vegangirl's interesting commentary, and bet she would know. Are you out there VE? Will check with Mary when she gets back for ideas too. Also juicing fresh juices, which are wonderful! Just had a carrot/apple/ginger/lime concoction and it was divine. Whoever invented the juicer never had to clean it though--what a pain in the arse! All those hard-to-get-into corners and crevices. Worth the effort though.

Down 3 pounds since Monday. :) Also started doing 20 minutes of cardio a day as my energy allows on a mini-stepper with tension bands for arms I bought used for $25.00. Baby steps, as energy seems to be better on some days. Brenda and Norma, found another site for diabetes on the site linked below. Posting it here as I don't want to talk to myself on the other thread, do enough of that here, lol.

Babs, tell me those cupcakes are complex carbs! Please?? LOL, they sure are pretty.

Michelle loved your grandmother's cards, what a neat keepsake!

Loved all the valentine's cards, and Chelone's BD cards too. Have to tell you a puppy love story, before VT day is long gone. On Valentine's Day evening I took Shane and Brennen to the dollar store at their request. My mum (Nanoo) had sent them $5.00 each. Brennen bought a gun that shoots foam discs, but Shane just wandered around for 10 minutes, looking but not picking anything out. Finally I asked him to choose it or lose it (the chance that is). He shyly told me he wanted to buy a gift for a girl Kaitlyn, who had given him a heart-shaped tin of Russel Stover chocholates! Well I'd never heard of Kaitlyn before, but apparently they are an item! So together we picked a "mood" necklace and bracelet and a sweet card. My baby's growing up! I'm tickled, though a wee bit nostalgic for the diaper days. At the time they seemed to last forever, but now it seems they flew by...

T, nice to see Boo looking so healthy. An apple (or 10?) a day keeps the vet away, lol! Also had to laugh at your card mishap--that is SO something I would do!

Babs, how wonderful Chris is nearly at the end of his scholarly trek! You must be very proud of him. I sure hope things turn around for his mother soon, she's been through a lot.

Honey, thinking of you and your friend. What a difficult situation that is. Grace had some good ideas--maybe if she doesn't want you to see her in person you could have someone just drop off a meal with a note/letter from you? While it is understandable that she doesn't want to upset you by letting you see her deterioration, she may not realize how much you need and want to be there for her, and how much comfort she would get from your visit. I know Glenn was devestated when he found out that one of his best friends had died of a very aggressive lymph cancer, after the fact. 3 months from start to finish, and he forbade his wife from telling anyone, didn't want them to see him in that condition. Glenn felt awful that he wasn't there for him, and I think, a bit cheated that he hadn't been given the option, hard as it would have been. My heart goes out to you both...

Sue, lol on the squirrel!

Norma, you're bathroom turned out great! Very creative, both the accessories and the presentation. What program do you use to do that? It's pretty neat.

Hi Marian! Your shoulder sounds very painful, take it easy will ya?

Woody and others having to sign in, can you not enable your password manager on whatever browser you are using? While I wouldn't use it for banking or Paypal, I use it here. When I'm occasionally asked to sign in I just do one click on my password wand and it types in user name and password for me. Agree with the others that even without this convenience, the ten seconds or so it takes to log on is worth it to be with pals. :)

I'm missing Eden too, she is usually a daily poster. And where has Jerri been? Is Da going to say hi soon? And Janie? And Ei, really miss her songs and cheery posts.

Sorry I haven't commented to everyone, but must go make squash soup for me and chicken noodle for the clan, who'll be coming in frozen soon. Deanne and the east coast contingent, have a wonderful time this weekend! I hope the weather holds for you and me both! Will look forward to lots of pics when I return Sunday...Hello to all!

Taryn

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

V, when you fly in tomorrow it would be best if you left your weather at home. I was just out and it's 57 F and sunny. Today would be perfect weather for Deanne's party but hey, we'll take whatever we get. Perhaps I'll truly thumb my nose at winter and take a dip in the hot tub no matter what. Even my dogs must have spring fever. Last night I came home and Tom had moved the bench away from the backside of the kitchen counter. Nick has been climbing up there every day and pulling every piece of paper off the counter he can reach. We keep coming home to these shred fests. He's also climbing onto the diningroom chairs and pulling stuff off the DR table. These aren't young dogs-Zoe just turned 8 and Nick will be 6 in May. Maybe I need to pop in at lunchtime every so often and entertain them.

Bon Voyage, Mary!

So far I've placed two garden orders-one at Klehms and the other at Fairweather Gardens. I'm thinking maybe some cannas and caladiums from Brent & Becky's again and that will be it. After the initial spring shuffle which may be extensive this year, I'll have a better idea what I have for open space and where. Then I can search locally for stuff.

Gotta run. I have a hairdresser appointment at 5 so I'll need to bolt out of here when the bell tolls tonight.

TTYL,

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

We aren't going to get the 6-10" of snow anymore. We got maybe 2-3 with a little more going south to where I work. The wind isn't blowing nearly as much as they had predicted. It is supposed to get to -9 tonight though and a high of 0 tomorrow. I can't believe you NE'rs are having such warm weather again.

Taryn, I hope you have a fabulous relaxing weekend.

Deanne, LOL "de-catted"

Sue, the local nurseries are pathetic here. Not much that is new or interesting. Altough, I found a new one late last summer that I intend to check out more.

Later
    Michelle

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Hi all.

Today's pics:

{{gwi:150797}}

{{gwi:150798}}

{{gwi:150799}}

I hope all are having a painfree day......I sure ain't !!
    This too shall pass!

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Afternoon break,

Nice spring pics Marian,

Sue, no kidding about the weather. The temps topped out at 59.9 degrees!!! I had half the windows open to get some fresh air in here. I've got spring fever bad, bad, bad! Spring cleaning is in process and I've almost got the first floor done except for the windows. I couldn't quite get into that yet.

Michelle, please keep that weather out that-a-way! I actually think we are supposed to get that cold air in here for the weekend though. Glad to hear you aren't getting too much snow though. Our ground is bare again after 15 inches of snow last weekend. Can you believe it.

Taryn, great news about the three pounds! Good for you. Even better news that you are able to do some cardio again. That will make all the difference in the world with your weight loss program. I know I absolutely cannot ever budge the scale unless I exercise.

V, I'm hoping like heck that those thunder storms don't arrive here until after you do. I know the weather people mentioned something about 'thunder-snow' storms sometime late Friday. ~~The boys are a bit miffed with me because I washed all their bedding and all your bedding and put their beds in the other guest room and closed the door to yours. I'd like the room to stay clean until you get here. They are in the annoying habit of rolling in the loose dirt and tracking it all in the house lately. (It is a springtime ritual and must have to do with shedding their winter coats). Anyway, I'm sitting here with a smile on my face thinking of seeing all you guys this weekend. Toooooo cool!

OK break is over and I've got to go and clean the fish tank and finish up the breezeway.

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Hi, everyone. I haven't read what you've been up to with all the stuff going on here. Isn't this the year of the dog? This year sure has been a dog for us, so far. Quick summary:

* DH had another accident today! Geez, does that car have a target on it or what?! Poor DH. Luckily, he wasn't hurt but the car may be totalled. He was hit by a gal that ran a stop sign with with a reeaaallly big SUV. I've spent the afternoon working with the insurance co, getting a car rented, etc. What a pain.

* Unexpectedly, a twp. building inspector knocked on my door Mon. to check on an outstanding permit from the furnace/AC we installed in '03. Well, the installation failed. He said, "I'm glad you have a carbon monoxide detector! Of course, that made me feel really uncomfortable. So I've been back and forth with the furnace co. all week. I'm all over them to get repairs done asap. Hopefully they'll finish up tomorrow.

* Lastly, I twisted my knee going up and down the ladder on my drapery project and can't use the treadmill. And I'm still fooling around with the 12 ft. swag and cascade. I just can't get it to look right. Grrrrrrr.

That's all from me for now b/c I'm in such a foul mood. Hi to all. Hope your days are going better than mine. Heck with the diet, I'm having a glass of vino tonite!

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Update: DH took to the car to the dealership. When the photographer shot the damage: to the right front point of impact, she keyed on the aluminum wheel, she said,
    "Oh, dear." Then the drivers side door (which cannot be opened), she said, "Oh, dear", then photographing the coolant and trans fluid on the floor she said, "Oh Dear." She asked, "Hows the steering?" DH said, "The steering wheel has to be at 4 oclock to drive it." She said, "Oh dear". Me thinks DH needs a bright red battering ram to drive to work.

Oh, forgot to tell ya, the gal that hit DH is the "Managing Director of Reorg." of his company. To that I say, Oh, Dear".

I'm having another wine!

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

Oh Dear, Honey You did have a bad day. I'm so glad Your DH wasn't hurt. Cars can be fixed or replaced , but it sure is not a good thing huh?
    Bummer about twisting your knee. And the furnace problem.
    Your having a problem with your curtain and I'm having one with paint color. You know what thats like don't you Sue and GB? I could let it go, but it is visible from the other part of the house and I just don't like it :(
    Beside that my body says it is tired and my head says I gotta keep going.

Marian, I was wondering if you were getting crocus blooms. Mine are really starting to pop, but it is going really cold again so I don't know how they will do. Sorry you are feeling poorly. I bet it is hard trying to type left handed only. Take care of yourself.

Taryn, thanks for posting the link. I always want to go to the other thread, but usually forget by the time I'm done here. Sounds like you have a good weekend coming up. Enjoy! Did Shane share with you , how the valentine gift went over? GS Jake had his first girlfriend this year, but it is over already.
    I have a trial version of photoshop that I used for the collage. I just made a black background the size I wanted the finished picture and cropped,copied and pasted the pictures I wanted to include.

GB sorry to hear Woody and Chelone are still having problems getting in here. I miss them .
    Eden where are you?

Oh Deanne you are on a roll with the cleaning. Good for you. I have such a mess right now, its getting on my nerves.

V,our weather is very unsettled today . Our dog Keebler is terrified of storms. He knew something was coming before I did today, because he snuck in to the house and went to the basement when I was in the garage staining some boards. Then I heard thunder a little while later.

Sue, I'm trying to picture Nick getting up on the chairs and bench. He must be pretty agile.

T, I resemble that furry squirrel too, and I'm not kidding about the furry legs. Need to do something about that soon. Spring will be here right?

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Oh dear,Honey. I'm so sorry about your Dh's vehicle, but so glad he is okay.

Norma, our temp has already dropped the 30 degrees that the weatherman predicted for this PM. The high was 68 or 69 around 3PM. It is now 37 at 6:30 . We had some thunder, and a little rain, but that has moved on by.

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

V, geez, what a nasty weather forecast! What you have, we usually have one day later. YUK! Hope you have a great time at the mini IU out east! Wish I were there, too.

Grace, thanks for your comments and caring re my friend with pancreatic cancer. I want to make/bring food to her but theres so much she cant hold down. About 10 yrs. ago, I lost another friend to same and she only made it 7 mos. from diagnosis. While additional time is wonderful, I hope theyre able to cure/arrest this disease. It just breaks my heart to know my dear friend is having such a tough time of it and I can do nothing to ease
    the difficulty.

Michelle, the pic was from the bouquet my DH gave me for for V- Day. Hes a true sweetie. Hope you get to IU3 and meet him. Hes a stitch, too.

T- Before Andy Rooney talked about it, the reigning meister of "Heres your sign"was/is Bill Engvall. His audios are so real and a hoot. Boo is beautiful! What a great looking guy he is!!! Glad hes processing as normal. It must be such a relief to you!

Norma, I was nodding my head as I read your post. I wake up and think, "Hmmmm, if I start my day now, I wont be wasting any of it!? Sometimes tho, I sleep in til 7.

Babs, what a sweetie you are to give the bus driver some cupcakes. We, too, appreciate all the folks who provide a service to us. We love to say "thank you" to all those who help provide convenience and service.

Sue, LOL on the Florida squirrel.

Marian, good to see you back posting. Glorious spring pix. Thanks so much. I needed them. Im so glad you put all the stuff behind you and returned to us. Youre an integral part of this group and Im so glad youre back.

Taryn, sounds like you have a fun weekend planned. Enjoy! Yep, sometimes we need a get away from it all weekend. Good for you. And I hope you have great response to your house being on the market. Its a real trying time to continually have to "show" the house to prospective purchasers.

Re your comments about my friend. Its about her and what she wants not about me and I try to keep that in mind. Its difficult. She prides herself in being able to make "dinner" with her DH w/o help. Its just a tough situation.

Deanne, would you fly your butt up here to do some spring cleaning, please? I dont wanna! Loved your recount of the "boys" being re-routed to new digs so V can have the room. Too funny. They KNOW when theyve been moved. Do they "tell" you about it? Mine does. But then, hes a mouthy thing.

Well, its been a LOOOONNNNNGGGG day and Ive had it. Of course a couple vinos helped. After this day, we NEEDED them. Next, some TV and beddy-bye for me. Hi to all. TTYL,

Honey

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Evening all,

Honey!!!! Man oh man, you are on a roll of bad luck lately. So sorry... I'm just glad that Tom is OK. Please tell him he needs to take that bull's-eye off his vehicle. Be very careful of your knee. Injuries like that can be the devil to get healed up. ~~ I'll pop on over to your place to help out with your spring cleaning as soon as mine is done. (Please note I didn't say when that would be.) Only another person who has outrageously spoiled cats could appreciate how miffed the boys are with their temporary banishment from 'their' bedroom. And yes, Rahjii is pretty mouthy and free with expressing his opinion.

Norma, sorry you are having trouble with the paint color. I know what a pain that is but you need to get it right or you'll never be happy with it. ~~ When my house gets past a certain stage of dirty it gets on my nerves too, big time. Then in the spring and fall I get on a roll and do something about it. I still need to do the second floor and excavate my office/studio downstairs. ~~ LOL about the furry legs. I wear shorts to the gym every day so I can't let it get to that stage.

OK CSI is on and I'm going to zone out and then get some shut eye.

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Geez, Honey, if it's true that bad luck comes in threes then you should be out of the woods for now. At least you're on the right track by choosing wine as your beverage of choice. Tomorrow can only be better.

Marian, I hope you get to feeling better soon too.

Time to head upstairs. Where did this week go?

Sue

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Honey, if the car is totalled, perhaps you should replace it with one a bright yellow Hummer?

Norma, I know what you mean about furry legs. I need to get up early tomorrow and do some de-furring just in case the hot tub is an option at Deanne's. If the temps drop out there like they're dropping here, it may not be an issue! Of course, I could always claim it was cat fur!

Marian, I can't believe you have crocuses already.

I need to go pack and water plants before I go. Later,

V.

• deanneart
    18 years ago

OK spring is really coming! I woke up at 5:00AM and didn't fall back asleep. I've already folded one load of wash, am having breakfast and the coffee is ready. Woohoo.... Maybe I'll finish this house before I pick up V at the airport tonight.~~ It is an amazing 49 degrees out this morning. I sure wish the warm weather would have held for another day but the weather gurus are still calling for the big chill with winds later on. ~~ V the hot tub is ALWAYS an option. I think my record is 8F for taking a dip. I've never quite gotten the nerve to get in when it is down to 0.~~ V LOL about cat fur!

OK I'm off to finish breakfast and get an early workout in today. Have a great day everyone,
    Deanne

PS Doug and I were discussing our outfits for Saturday and when I told him I was going to wear shorts with my Hawaiian shirt he said he'd wear shorts too but put his long johns on under them. ROTFLOL! I'll have to see this one.

PSS - Hip-hip horray, V is coming today!

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Good clogged morning -- glad it's nothing more serious than my sinuses. The shifts in weather caught up with me and I'm just plain sick. I'm also PO'd about it because it will mean no New Hampshire trip. I just won't/don't have the energy and certainly don't want to infect anyone. I actually cried about it this morning when I told Rich.

Going to take care of myself, stay home from work today, and go back to bed and stay there until I can sit up without tipping.

Best to all ----Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

TGIF!

If you're on the east coast, enjoy the last day before the deep freeze. Marian, I forgot to mention what a lift your pictures were yesterday. I got home after dark last night but the first thing I noticed when I looked out the window this morning was my Arnold Promise witchhazel in bloom. Hopefully I'll get home early enough tonight to grab a couple of shots.

Gotta run.

Sue

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

V sent me freezing rain, snow, rain, flurries, thunder, lightning, hail and other crap last night. This morning there is sun and 80km/h winds blowing branches about. They promise flurries and -7C today... Do I say thanks? Well no, but Bon Voyage! I wonder if planes can take off in this stuff...I sure hope you have a SAFE & ENJOYABLE weekend, all of you! You can all drink a toast to kitchen painting....At least I found the right colors finally!

'bug

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Hi all. I need all your good thoughts. I don't know when I have hurt so bad. I have doubled my pain pills and hope I am not damaging something else.
    I know... I need to get a dr. appointment, but I keep thinking it will get better.
    Our temps have dipped into the teens again, with highs in the 20s and 30s. Snow is predicted for tonight, with a 10F temp.
    Marie, we were under 3 differant weather warnings yesterday, but none of it materialized. Sorry about what you are getting. That type of weather is predicted for the area in southern Arkansas, ( where our son lives), for the next 3 days. I hope you noticed my pic of the Amaryllis buds. It is opening today. It is my darkest colored one. Another is peeking up a flowerbud but the return of the cold weather has stopped it in it's tracks.

I'm sure all who are going to Deanne's will have a memorable time. That's so nice that many of you can do that.

Honey, I have been slack with my sympathy for your woes. I am so very sorry about your dear friend. I am sure it is very hard to cope with. I also am hoping your knee is feeling better today. Thank you so much for your kind words.

My sympathies with everyone else who is down with a virus. I'll trade places with you... [....Naaa, I wouldn't wish this pain off on to my worse enemy!]

Teresa, I am so glad Boo is back to his old self. I have 'enjoyed' the saga of horse apples. :-)

Babs, congrats on your DH's accomplishment.

Norma, It is predicted to get down to 10 tonight, so the little crocus may be toast. I just hope the daffodils that are full of buds survive it. I remember another year when many things were in bloom and a deep freeze hit. The daffodils that were in bloom were okay. The day before it came, I climbed up on a shed and took lots of pics, knowing most of it would be blackened the next day.

Yesterday eve when we were under all the warnings and watches( yes even tornado watches) I filled my kerosine lamps with anticipation of a power outage. I may need then before the weekend is over.

Marian

• taryn
    18 years ago

Copy of email just sent to my Mum, friend Dawn, and sister Gayna:

"Hi,
    Just heard from Pam, and the weather is extremely bad up near her place, Horseshoe Valley. Barrie has taken the city buses off the roads. Innisville has taken the ploughs off the road. People on the 400 have pulled over and are doing nothing, visibility and icy conditions are so bad. So she's staying put until conditions improve.

So, all plans are unfortunately on hold right now. Pam will call later with an update, so maybe by later this afternoon or tomorrow we can resume everything. What a drag! Boys and I are upset. I hate winter!

Will be in touch, hopefully with better news, later.

Taryn"

Hope the weather is better for the east coast gang...

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

'bug, so sorry about the unwanted gift. I'm hoping my flight is not delayed this evening. Glad to hear you have your color under control.

Martie! I'm so sad that I won't get to meet you this weekend. :-( I was looking forward to that. Hope you're feeling better, and maybe you'll reconsider?

Deanne, the swimsuit is packed and there is no "cat fur" coming with me. Of ocurse, now that the fur is gone my legs are blindingly white...

Sue, I like today's colors. Very nice, almost springy, except for the snowy !

I'd better get back to work so I can blast out of here just a little early.

V.

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Marian and Martie Im so sorry you guys are under the weather! I took a day off to start the weekend early after a murderous week at the office Im exhausted and will just laze you guys better too! Altho Im torn about going to do a bit of nursery/ornament shopping and since this is the "good day" read last of the 50 degree weather before the 20s set in, I should probably make myself do that!

High winds and freezing temps are hopefully all were getting here this weekend. We want pics of the Tropical NE Idyllers in their shirts and long-johns in the outside of Deannes garden!! (really just want to see the garden, you guys would be eye candy but no knocking nekked knees please).

Im so sorry your weekend fun plans have blown up, Taryn what a bummer. This winter certainly has played havoc with any sense of consistency of what to expect from the weather hasnt it?

Honey, you definitely had a baaaad Thursday hopefully thats it for the month! Im glad DH is okay even if his car is not take it easy w/ that knee thats one of those slow to recover aches you think its mended and then bam, its injured again.

Marian, your spring pics were just what Ive been longing for I sure hope they make it thru whatever bad weather is coming your way I hate this late freeze business its not fair! We need our blooms!

Ok I hope V is safe and sound on her flite to fun and Mary & family (sigh) are landing in Hawaii about now? The rest of us will just have to daydream our way to Spring, I guess.

-Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

-12° this morning. No desires for spring cleaning here.

Marian, thanks for the taste of spring.

I suppose that Mary is basking on the beach at this moment.

Honey, Im so glad that Tom wasnt hurt, but all those things are so much extra work. Hopefully you have had your share for awhile. Take it easy with your knee, you want to be in top shape for gardening season. Thats always my fear to waste the gardening season being laid up. I hope I can make IU3 and meet everyone.

I got a kick out of the cats that rule the roost LOL

Deanne, please be sure to share some pictures with us of your party. I hope that you all have a fantastic time this weekend.

Taryn, so sorry that the weather has thrown a monkey wrench in your plans.

Heres to a relaxing day off for Cindy.

Later

Michelle

Sponsored
TR Granite & Stone Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Countertop in Loudoun County, VA