Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Idyll #427; limited edition Chevy big block engine

chelone
15 years ago

OK, so it's a stretch but maybe we could just let the 427 cu. inch idle for a bit... purrs like kitten 'til you stand on the accelerator. Just like we do.

Comments (100)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not all of us use FB, so photos over here would be great fun, OK?

Later,
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

I checked, no pictures over on FB only rumors of them.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all, I'm getting a bit of a late start on my day here... Hmmm.... could it be post party blues? Could be... But the house is all put back to normal the food and drink all put away and all that's left are the great memories of a fantastic time with friends and my fellow Thumbers...

{{gwi:150891}}

The dinner was fabu-fabu as per usual... we never seem to lack in the food area.. Les made his famous guacamole, Sue brought shrimp cocktail, Wendy brought some fantastic parmesan shortbreads. Then there was a lovely round of Brie, Doug's smoked salmon... and that is just the appetizers.

Dinner was marinated chicken breasts and pork tenderloin grilled to perfection, Saucy brought a lovely potato salad, Chelone fixed her delicious taboule, then we had a nice crisp tossed salad to go with the entrees.
    {{gwi:150892}}

Dessert was a Monique specialty, a coffee torte. Yum!, Sue made here world famous Whoopie Pies, Wendy brought chocolate covered strawberries and for the health conscious there was a salad of fresh fruit and berries.
    {{gwi:150893}}

So a good time was had by all! I'm putting a link to gallery of a few more pics below.

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Oh boy, spring is getting closer. The Idyll photos are ramping up! What a lovely taste of spring from the left coast. Love the birds. That is a variety we do not see.
    And last but not least, the party photos! Great shots Deanne. It's much as I imagined, everything looks beautiful and yummy. And you all look so happy! LOL

Have a wonderful sunday my virtual friends.

Jerri

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

What a sensational group of people! Makes me proud to know you all! The food, well it's a good thing I didn't go near that dessert table. I see Deanne's blind was featured in the background :), and Sue, you are amazing. Every time I see your photo you are more beautiful. Love the new hairdo and your sparkly eyes and smile! Saucy, you look more and more like Sue's sister with each photo too! I love the shot of Chelone debating which dessert to serve herself...and how much! Anyway, it all sure makes me eager for IUVI where we'll get to enjoy more than one day together. Deanne, thanks for the photo journal, and Doug, I hope there'll be salmon when we all meet again!

• denisez10
    15 years ago

You could knock me over with a feather at the news of Kyle's new focus on forestry! Very exciting news, Martie. And having the house to yourself for an afternoon is luxury indeed.

Mary, did you follow Gertrude Jekyll's prescribed color arrangement in arranging your bookshelves? ;) Fingers crossed the new meds do the trick for David and that you both get much needed rest.

Nice to see the thumbers take their photo responsibilities seriously. Let's hope all your whooping and laughing scared the pants off winter and he's running away in retreat.

Friday's job took about five years off my life -- @#!@ freakin' insanely unreportable deposition. There, much calmer now. And yesterday was probably spent much like Deanne, getting ready for a dinner. Duncan had cleaned the house while I was in misery at work Fri, so that was a godsend. Still under the spell of things southern, and since we just passed Fat Tuesday, I made crabcakes and corn maque choux, garlic red potates, steak for the menfolk, grilled salmon, salads. My mom and dad, my Uncle Normand & Aunt Betty from Massachusetts, cousins. Really wonderful people I don't see nearly as much as I'd like. We set up a Bloody Mary bar with marinated green beans, "tomolives," peppericinis, celery, etc., several hot sauces, horseradish, showed Duncan how to make one and set him loose as bartender. Lots of fun. Fruit and the usual chocolate suspects for desert but nothing as fabulous as whoopie pies and Monique's coffee tort!

My dad has changed his mind about open heart surgery after too many increasingly breathless nights, so that's coming up this spring. My mom seems on board with the decision because his quality of life has deteriorated so drastically lately.

Woody, what a brain-intensive course! Enjoyed your discourse on isometric v. perspective drawing. Sounds like you're keeping the teacher on his/her toes!

Congrats to Jen & Randy at the shower of their new baby. Hope you get a chance to relax and put your feet up, Eden.

Very belated happy birthday, PM.

So exciting that the peepers are stirring....

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

I see the party pictures made it over here. Chelone made me do all that stuff...lol. As usual, it was a fun time-lots of laughs and delicious food. Marie, I finally found a hair stylist who knows how to work with straight, fine hair. And you're right, Saucy and I do look somewhat alike. I was thiking the same thing this morning while looking at these pictures the first time.

So we thumbed our nose at winter but it probably wasn't our best idea to moon it. The latest weather forecast for my area is calling for a large storm tonight of 8-15" of snow. Sheesh!

Sue

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Yes indeed Sue, It must have been the moon shot that caused this 15 inch snow storm to descend upon us.... All our fault. LOL So where is Chelone this morning????

D

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Way to party Idylls! Looks like winter is thumbing it's nose back though. March is coming in like a lion for you guys.

Eden

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

LOL Denise! "Nice to see the thumbers take their photo responsibilities seriously." Yep, I too was really impressed with their seriousness. ;-)
    I can understand your mom and dad's concern about his breathless nights. Fortuately Nolon did not require open heart surgery. His doc did what he called 'roto-rooting' on Nolon's clogged up blood vessels.It was a great success. After 12 years he is still not having a problem in that department.

As for the vituals. I am salivating! Espacially over the meat and the tort, but I would have sampled it all. I am not familiar with 'taboule' so did a Google on it. I may try it some day, when I am ambitious enough to do all that chopping of tomatoes, etc. It does sound good. I am thinking it may be something that is brought to the Golden Year's occasionally. I just didn't know it's name. I hope I remember that word the next time I see that type of salad.

Speaking of clams...I remembered that I have a can of clam that I bought some time ago, planning on making chowder with it. I think I will add it to the left over tuna chowder tomorrow. It is past dated, but the can looks fine, and I heard that those datings are not 'carved in stone'.

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Well good morning ! much more fun to spend coffee time with reveling Idyllers than the dire newspaper stories ! Bum shots (very artistic by the way) and all. Did I spot Cindys floral offering on the table, that lovely bouquet of Stock ? Wonderful looking array of food, and at least Doug got to have his pic snapped in a dignified pose ..lol. Just wets the whistle for IU6 I must say. So did Saucy, Sue and Chelone all dress the same on purpose???

Raining this morning, and no doubt for the duration today, and I will be spending a couple of hours at the awfice this afternoon to try to cushion my landing on Monday morning.

bug thanks by the way for posting the photos of the crossbills. What pretty birds they are ! I looked them up in my field guide and saw that they are not known to hang about here .

Time to go to the garage and check out the seedlingslater all !

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have dutifully cracked off another two courses on the Salon floor, delivered my alterations to a pleased customer, picked up a necessary quart of paint, and am prepared to once more assault the Salon floor. I really want to finish it up today, though that may be a stretch.

It's snowing now and "I done heard tell" there could be rather a lot more of it for tomorrow. Is it possible I detect a SNOW DAY (wouldn't that be loverly)? What I don't finish today I could finish then...

Wow, Denise, open heart surgery? Sounds scarey, but is it really more frightening than breathless nights and rapidly deteriorating quality of life... dunno. I wish your family well.

Now I have to get back to the Salon. I have knees and wrist to punish, you know.

Hope Eden has a blast at the shower today.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

The photos tell the story of a wonderful party! I can tell that Chelone obviously is the evil influencer of the gang, forcing poor Sue to crawl for that gallon of tequila... Sue, you do look great, and a lot like Saucy! Now you need to adopt that lovely drawl of hers, LOL.

Chelone, we will be sisters in paint today. I picked up the accent color yesterday, DH and DS moved that massive piece of furniture and I am set to wrap things up today.

We had DS, his fiance, MIL and her DH for dinner last night. Yesterday, DH told DS that MIL and my late uncle had each given a sum of money to be used for his education, but we were able to swing college out of our own funds, so he will be receiving the accumulated funds (less than it was last year, but still a nice amount). He and his fiance were quite excited and likely will use the money to purchase a condo. I think they will find some good buys out there right now.

It's rather cold and very windy out there today; must be the March lion roarin' his freaking head off! At least it's not a foot of snow. Our wetlands are quite full and we don't need a lot more water at this point.

Time to put on the painting clothes.

V.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

How fun to see evidence that yesterday was as fun as I remembered :) That bum shot is just too much! The food was excellent, and our hostess is the best! Deanne and Doug really know how to throw a party :)

Denise, what an excellent menu! Duncan sounds like a peach.

V. and Chelone have me longing for fresh paint in my main hall that connects the upstairs and downstairs. I have a gold color in mind, but haven't decided on a hue.

Woody, I really like your class, and think it'd be really useful to work off a plan in the garden, since I often lose sight of my original plan.

I hope that Mary and family are sleeping well this weekend, and just generally doing what they need to do to be happy.

GB, I hope you can make it to IUVI - I'm bringing blue toenail polish for you :)

Martie, what would Ky be interested in within the Forestry degree - I don't have a clue on what sort of job one could get....school sounds like a good place to be right now :)

I'm really really hungry right now, and since Nick just helped me haul in the groceries, I'm thinking of a lunch of brie and blackberries, with a spot of Doug and Deanne's wonderful smoked salmon!

Have a great day, friends. We've got all the kids from the neighborhood in our living room playing video games, and it sounds like they're having a good time....the only thing good about 15" of snow is how giddy it makes kids, "NO School tomorrow, YAY!"

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Although it is often necessary to work for every tiny bit of what we need in life, receiving a financial gift at wedding time can be an enormous boost these days. I'm certain V, that your DS understands the generosity and did not simply expect such a gift to land in his lap. The values you teach your kids by example are just fantastic.

I think the fact that we too were able to assist DD & DSIL with the purchase of their home makes these horribly difficult economic times easier for them. Anything to make their lives smoother is what I hope for them!

It is very cold out still in our neck of the woods, but with sunshine still and the crossbills too. Dodgerdudette, I have never seen these birds in 38 years in Ontario!

DH is sleeping AGAIN on the couch by the fire, dressed in a sweater & jacket, along with a blanket on top. He only wants plain tea and had no lunch. This is the first time in 45 years that has happened. I fear a terrible plague will strike our household.

My friend is attending a wedding shower today. The bride will be 6+ months pregnant for her wedding. I wonder how one buys a wedding dress for these occasions, but she's certainly not the first! I guess I'll get an update on this soon. The shower has a recipe theme, and so my friend baked biscotti and bought mugs for coffee and a frother to go along with.

Marian, I just LOVE tabouli and add lots more lemon and mint than typical recipes suggest because I love it that way. :) It is a fantastic summer dish too. YUM YUM!

Off to do more stuff around here...
    'bug

• jak1
    15 years ago

O.K. you guys! No fair posting wonderful pary pics without indentifying information for those of us who are still freezing in the wilderness and who never get out and who don;t know anybody!!!

I could gifure out which two were Saucy and Sue from 'Bug's comment about look-alikes, I have seen Deanne identified before...so sho else is who? You all look better than me *LOL* Even from the back end! ROTFLOL!

Cold here, everything hard as rock, I sent the men to the city, Adrian and Interphil (he didn't want to go) to the dinosaur museum, DH to the fish store with a handful of crinkly paper....fish: Slimy pets that die as soon as you get them home. Chelone: I hate fish.

'Bug: sick Ric? There's so much stuff going around now...I have had a cold for four months. No kidding FOUR MONYHS! Shoulda bought stock in the Kleenex company...Phoned the doctor - he can see me near the end of March. I mean, what's one more month, right? Sheesh!

On my own at home for once, I finished potting up the pelargonium cuttings - all 18 of them, into 6" pots. Then planted some more pepper seeds, some lobelia, and I forget what else. Went to the shed and broght in some pots to start the Zinnias - pots are having a swim in dilute Javex as we speak - well, figuratively speak.

Really really really tired of winter. I need my gardens! Why do we continue to live in such a crummy climate? One of life's mysteries, I guess. Although climate change may take care of that anyway (hehehe).

Man, this post is lame. I am going to go cook some chicken for dinner and sit down in peace with a glass of wine.

You winter thumbers - I hope you did a super job and it's almost done!

Cheers,

Julie

• jak1
    15 years ago

Oh yes, Kathy, our old furniture probably came from the U.S. as my mother's family spent some time in Chicago many generations ago. They had big bucks, lost it all in the Great Depression. They had moved to Montreal in 1902 to set up a ritzy men's wear store ("Men's Furnishings", then, la-de-dah)and then relocated to Ottawa to cater to the big name politicians in the Nation's Capital. My grandfather was killed in a fire in 1919 and my grandmother turned the family finances over to her brother. All was lost in the 30's. My mother never came to terms with it. She had gone to private school, had a nanny etc. She did absolutely no housework when we were young - it really didn't dawn on her that the "lady of the house" did such menial stuff, as that wasn't the norm in her life. When she was in the nursing home in her late eighties, she used to drive us nuts:" I cannot understand how I am ending my days in an institution. We kept Gramma at home. No family would abandon their elders in my day." Of course, her family had a nanny, a cook, a maid two days a week, and round the clock nursing staff for Gramma.

I have a lot of old stuff from that family, old silver, some linens, the furniture that you have seen, some old dishes (some of them Limoges). I believe in using whatcha got so a lot of this stuff is visible in my home. My sibs call it that"old family junk" and want no part of it, for which I am grateful.

Enough of the Julie history -

Cheers,

Julie

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm the one with the stupid belt "buckle". I recently unearthed it in a box of stuff in the back of the closet. It was my 16th. birthday present from my brother. ;)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

It looks like a great party!

Julie - that's an interesting family history. It sounds like you and your sibs must have got an introduction to housework early if your mother was not doing it....? Or was your father a good house-husband? :-)

Saucy - I think you'd have fun with this course if you signed up for it next winter....

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Julie, nose thumbing under table portrait :
    Monique, Saucy, Wendy, Sue, Chelone. A rougues gallery to be sure !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Aaaw, you spoiled it by calling it "stupid" Chelone! While on the treadmill I was thinking about where my old belt with buckle might be and if I could ever fit in it once more. Maybe for IUVI? Mine is/was silver. I also have a Guatamalan one somewhere. That would give me almost five months.
    I also admired Sue's necklace, belt and bracelets, Chelone's earrings, Deanne's kitty too of course (can't quite make out your necklace Deanne)!

Lots of similarities Julie in your Mom's background and my Mom's. When Mom married she had no clue about cooking, housework, etc... I could adjust to that easily!

'bug

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

You all look amazing, the food looks amazing, the flowers look amazing, and Sue ---- VAVAVAVOOM!!!! Singlehood is treating you well :-)

Really looking forward to a home day tomorrow. Second best boss in the world sent out a note earlier today saying: "Don't be stupid, stay home." Who's to argue??

Saucy, the possibilities with Forestry are suddenly amazing: Working within the legal field for development rights, being a forest caretaker or guide, going the biological route to find new ways to use sustainable plants and coming up with new products, green energy/living/food production, horticultural evaluation of archeological digs (was told it's an almost sure-fire way to find where the village well was located). Pretty cool.

If David needs something sedentary to do for a few hours, Mary, he could catalog your bookshelf. I really, really like that!!

Off to munch peach turnovers and find rose pictures to paste on the windows during the storm. Like a lion, without a doubt!!

Martie

• wendy2
    15 years ago

Hi All!

Good to see the photos - brings back all the laughs from yesterday! What a great time we had; special thank you to wonderful hosts Deanne & Doug.

Julie, I am the one who did not get the memo about wearing black instead of tropical, I felt so last year! Seriously, that's me in the green shirt.

Cindy, the flowers are lovely - they were are delphiniums BTW. Very pretty!

So much for thumbing our noses at winter though, we are expecting a major storm tonite into tomorrow - they are calling it a Nor'Easter now. DH says we have to stop this thumbing stuff, it is getting dangerous...

Later all!

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

A full week of rain is warming up in the bullpen here- Its a good thing I spent yesterday with the handy dandelion digger , because the soil promises to be a soggy-swamp for several days to come. Of course , more weeds will sprout in the meantime. Ive been hoarding cardboard to use under mulch as a weed barrier but have been unable to put it down-my bales of compost are soaked this point .

So, Ive been researching a camera upgrade for a few weeks and today found a factory refurbished Nikon D60 for a very attractive price, basically 30to 50 percent lower than what Ive seen for a new unit. My current point and shoot Nikon is also factory refurbished too, and Ive been very happy with it I will keep it for its portability. I am funding the purchase through my tax return and some of late DHs power tools that I am selling as well.

Denise, my fondness for Bloody Marys has provided me with a cheap thrill upon the description of your buffet of same. My fave B Mary of all time was in Indianapolis (of all places) and involved a very zesty ( and first-rate) spice mix , with a jumbo grilled prawn as the garnish. It wasnt cheap but was it good ! Who needs shrimp cocktail sauce when you have a B Mary to dip them in ?? It always interests me to see how quickly folks seem to bounce back from open heart surgery these days..I hope your Dad handles it well, and that it does in fact improve his quality of life.

Marian, I forgot to mention my awe at seeing an indoor blooming Cleome ! You surely dont run across that every day- the siteing of your house must just be perfect for coaxing blooms indoors.

V, what a nice gift for your DS its scary out there for the young . Its always a good thing when families can help in lieu of Uncle Sam.

Wishing I had some blueberries and brie for desert , thanking Julie for sharing the interesting family history , glad that Wendy checked in, and wondering where Brenda has been lately ?

All for me today , still need to read read Sunday paper !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Apologies for "stupid", 'bug. We use "silly" and "stupid" interchangeably here on the Compound. I actually managed to unearth several relics from my high school experience including the earrings you commented on (a graduation gift). There is even a pair of boots, not Frye's but pretty cool anyway. Maybe I'll treat you to a trip down the Memory Lane runway at the next shindig. Maybe I'll wear my lucky shorts...

I have never had a Bloody Mary. I wonder if I'd like them? Maybe we'll have to haul out the stable of blenders for the IUVIFORME. The helpmeet mixes a killer Pina Colada, can definitely set you back on your hindquarters.

Springtime pictures seem VERY distant this morning, with snow swirling around the Compound. I will be "going nowhere fast" today, thank you very much. I did finish the second coat on the triangles yesterday in a marathon painting session. I plan to wash the blue chalk off the floor today, jam some filler into the remaining nailholes on the staircase, and finish painting the trim around the pulldown staircase in the Salon. Maybe I'll even tackle the grimey fingerprints around some of the light fixtures. Wherever the helpmeet goes there is a trail of forensic evidence in the form of fingerprints...

We had dinner with a very dear friend last night and the news from her sector was grim indeed. Her spouse, it seems, is a victim of the mortgage lending debacle. She is collateral damage, the saving grace being that they kept their pre-marrital assets largely seperate. Still though, he has just filed for bankruptcy (was very lucky to qualify for chapter 7) and it has understandably put a tremendous strain on their marriage. A looming second deployment for him is not making it any easier She is practical, resourceful, and will land on her feet but is really feeling the squeeze and not having much fun. We've decided that a weekly get together either here or at her condo. will be the order of the day to keep morale elevated.

Which brings me to the generous gift of money for V.'s son and his betrothed. What a great thing to receive. The helpmeet's father was all about systematically gifting assets to his kids during his life. He gifted real estate early on and periodically gifted money. His logic was irrefutable and characteristically generous, "why should you have to wait until I'm dead to receive the benefit of those things? You should have them while you're young and use them wisely to build comfortable lives for yourself". And the wisdom of his decision was quickly revealed when his stepson's wife sued his estate before he was barely cold. The joke was on her... "his" assets had long since been passed along. :) My own parents showed no such ability to plan and straightening out their estate required the services of a very good elder lawyer ($), a lot of time, and too much unnecessary stress. "Money is a wonderful slave but a terrible master".

I am hoping for a fun, detailed filled update on the shower today. I'm hoping against hope for a picture of the claw footed baby bath... maybe? ;)

Loved the Julie history, BTW. Many similarities to my own, at least with respect to "stuff". Julie, how about you take the plunge and start a thread about cool furniture? (even I can start a thread, it's so easy!). I love cool furniture, even if it isn't "old".

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Good morning, the shower was fun. Today will be a day of rest and recouperation. I've linked some pictures below.

Chelone, I don't have a picture of the tub. I think it's still in the box. Maybe when we get the nursery set up I'll snap a few pics over at Jen's and get one of it for you then.

Eden

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Yes indeed, winter is currently thumbing its nose at us. Good grief, there is already eight inches on the ground and still snowing at a good clip. Then to top it all off it's going to get down to the single digits in the next couple days.... I can't wait until spring.

Kathy, yes indeed that boquet on the table was Cindy's floral contribution to the party. ~~~ Don't float away with all the rain.

Bug love those Crossbill photos!!!! Sure wish you were closer. Apparently this is an irruption year for them as well.

Julie, love your furniture!

Eden, wow you really do it up right. Loved the shower photos. I especially love all the little baby things as wall decorations. How clever and cute!!!!

Mary, love the rainbow of books!!!! So glad to hear that David is doing better and everyone is now sleeping through the night.

OK I've got to get off this computer and water the coleus...

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Me? I love Daddy's T-shirt! But the decorations were fun, Bella adorable, and obviously everyone was super happy!

Well DH is sick as a dog but drove himself off to his conference at the spa anyway. He brought an empty wastebasket along in the car in case his stomach acts up! But he phoned and is taking a 10 minute parking lot siesta before the action begins. He hasn't eaten since Saturday night and seems to be getting the hiccups all the time. How weird...

I have done my treadmill morning routine, 320 calories burned. I'm not seeing any results at all...but I must assume that muscle is taking over from flab. You think?

Lots of excitement on the Alberta front, with calls from DD. I wish I could say it was good stuff, but no. I hope with all my heart that things settle down soon. As Marian says, 'this too shall pass'. I get fire engine red about this garbage, but fortunately they only vent for 10 minutes and then move forward.

I've begun knitting a tiny sweater but it is way trickier than i had anticipated because there are several colours which I must carry along for every row. Hard when you are impatient. I hope I can make progress.

Vita caught another mouse this morning...I guess she found it in the basement. It is very cold here and we have run out of chopped wood for the stove. I guess it will be a while before DH is up to chopping more, so it will be electric heat in that room for the rest of the week I think.

That's all she wrote for now!
    Cheers,
    'bug

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Brenda arrives, slamming on the brakes on the Chevy big block. Chelone has never had a bloody mary?!?! That's it, get your fanny over here :) I LOVE em.
    Just popped in for a howdy. It's 10:00, and I'm still in my robe drinking coffee. My skydiver pal called yesterday, and wanted me to upload the stills from our skydives to facebook, so I now have a facebook page to neglect as well, lol! I've located a couple of the idylls, and will track down more, but I really need to shower, do the yoga thing, etc. Today feels like a "computer day", so I'll be back and catch up later. I was just really disturbed about that bloody mary thing........
    Brenda

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Ok Brenda, start saving your dough right now for IU6 and you and I will be in chaHge of the Bloody Mary Bar at the Compound ...

Kathy in Napa

PS,Glad to see ya

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

With all thanks to modern technology that allows one to NOT use precious time off ... greetings from the snowy CT River Valley!! Places that never close are closed and though we aren't getting the hammering Deanne and Chelone and PM are getting, it's lousy enough to join Brenda in my robe and stay put.

Ahhhhhh, FB. So many kind invitations and my concern is that I'll never keep up if I accept and get a page of my own started. Pressure mounts, though, from all sides so will probably break down eventually. LOL

Love, love, love old furniture and am thrilled that Ky, niece and nephew like it as well. Probably a tad early to start giving Everything away, but when a 23yo woman's eyes light up at a rocker her great grandmother bought to rock her grandmother, who am I to say "no!"

The exquisite, wonderful, trumpet worthy news from Cornfield Park is that the absolute very last piece of our Chapter 13 Bankruptcy is complete and we have been released. Some of you may remember that four years ago, Rich worked a job that quickly became personal from the client's standpoint and when Rich wouldn't reciprocate, things got really, really nasty. Lawsuits ensued and we had to make a choice: lose everything since contractors are never "right in the eyes of the law" (good lawyer quote) or file for Chapter 13, hold our breath, and wait it out three years. Despite the downturns and lefts and rights and backwards, we made it through!! Only 25% of folks do, and our personal and business finances are now in better shape that most. Go, figure. The woman who started it all and the folks that jumped on her bandwagon will get nothing, nada, zero, zilch!! Sometimes the laws Do work in the good people's favor.

This Idyll is passing like greased lightening (couldn't resist) and I'm hopeful that NOT all about me contributions will come more frequently now that life is starting to settle on all fronts. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!! lol

Best to All - Martie

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Marie, I can certainly empathize with your feelings toward the venting. Almost everytime Tim calls it includes a lot of venting....about the ex, about his job, about his finances, and now, about 15 year old Savannah's boyfriend! He has long hair and piercings, etc. But, he has a nice personality. I need to dig out the teenage pic I have of Tim and e-mail it to him. ;-)

Brrrr again. It was 13 this morning, and the interior of the room where the stove is was 56. I am not tolerating interior temps of the 50s as well as I used to! How wonderful my warm bed with the comforter on it feels.(g)

How nice that some young couple's have kinfolk who can help them get a good start. I never had that, and was never able to add to our son's finances, except a little towards his going to college. We always got everything the hard way...we earned it, little by little.

Marie, I am worried about your DH. His ailment does not sound good. Has he seen a doctor? The hiccups do not sound right. I frequently have hiccups when I wake up during the night, and have to get up and take a drink of water to stop them. I blame mine on my acid reflux.
    Re: the pregnant bride....we used to have a saying,"A pregnancy is normally 9 months, except the first one. The first one can come any time."

Julie, your 'cold' sounds more like an allergy.
    Your family history on you mother's side is very interesting. I have thought, every now and then, about how so many people used to have nannies, cooks, maids,and even gardeners. I do not recall hearing any of my relatives ever having such luxuries. Of course, a lot of the wealthier families still have such help. The present economy may put a stop to a lot of that.
    My mother never taught us girls to do housework, or even to cook. She did let me make cakes from scratch. I was good at that. And she let me iron napkins and such items. We did not even make our own beds, because we, "wouldn't do it right" ! We never even washed the dishes. I had a lot of learning to do when I got married. My first effort with gravy turned out ot be a chunk of 'rubber' ! LOL
    Never-the-less, I turned out to be a good housekeeper, and cook.

Martie, Forestry is fine, until it comes to the 'treehuggers' telling home owners how to manage their own woods. That was attempted here. A group was formed by the home owners, called: "Take Back Arkansas". The trouble makers have apparently backed off. I haven't heard any more about it in several years. A lot of them, or most of them, did not even live in Arkansas. Home owners here are very defensive of what belongs to them.

Kathy, I did not expect the Cleome's to bloom indoors. I was only hoping to carry them over, to plant out in the spring. They are in a Northeast window (actually, the former sliding glass door).

Chelone, I over use the word "stupid" ! All most everything I see and hear on TV is 'stupid'! A lot of the things I do are 'stupid'. Our oldest DG likes the word also, but Tim dislikes her use of it. I sort of think, if it fits, why not use it?
    "Silly" is a good word also. :-)
    So sorry about you friend. What age is she? She is fortunate to have your and you DH's support.

Eden the shower pics are great. I, too, like the decorations. What a nice idea. The refreshments look yummy, and Bella looks very happy. :-)
    It looks like there was quite a crowd there.

Sorry about the winter weather in the east. March can be such a cruel month. Usually our deepest snows come in March.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

When I reviewed my post this last time, the Message box went blank! I could not add any more to my post, or make corrections. What in the world caused that?
    I could not even add my name at the bottom, as I wanted to...

I wanted to tell Martie, how happy I am that the bankrupcy has been settled, and all is well with you and your DH.

Marian

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Im voluntarily stuck at home today w/ our 8 inches of snow -- guess that will be my workout of the day - southern weenie that I am, LOL - i would be snowbound all winter in NE or Midwest! Seriously, in days of yore I'd have lept out of bed at 5 to shovel and charge off to work - but I find o.t., and age have seriously impinged upon my devotion to work - go figure.... that's what sick and vacation days are for -- just call me a slacker.

I LOVE the thumber pics and note that there is a Thumber uniform -- I was unaware of the fashion etiquette and might have been embarrassed. Duly note for future attendance...

It's very berry chilly here and Im working up to the snow heaval w/ some slacking off first.

Interesting family history, Julie -- I think there are some stories somewhat similar in my family.... I hope the present day economic woes do not produce any similar ones for our future generations.

Denise -- that sounds like a wonderful menu you offered up over the weekend as well -- all these yummy pics and descriptions have me feeling hungry!

Im wondering if I could just stay home for another 2 days til the temps hit 50 and start the snow melt? that would save on shoveling.... but I suspect that would definitely wear out any indulgence from HR...

I'd like to do my taxes (this is definitely the latest I've ever done in years) but am still awaiting info from my stock club (even tho we lost $$, gotta report it, LOL)....

Well, I said Noon would be the witching hour for snow exercise and here it is.... Chloe's no-count, no help w/ shoveling...

-cindy

• saucydog
    15 years ago

It seems when the office is in your home, there are no snow days....especially since Nick cancelled all his morning appointments due to weather/traffic. We worked on things that needed both of us to get done.

I want to participate on the furniture thread, but need a day to get my camera ready, and the furniture presentable, lol!

Eden, I loved the color theme! And especially the clothesline with all the sweet little onsies and blankets. The cupie cakes were cute :)

I've gotta go make hot chocolate for the kiddies coming in from round 1 of snow fun.....

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I just got a call from DSIL and we had a great chat. I also got a note from DD with possible baby names....and I love them! I hope they stick. I so expected impossible choices. YEAH!

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Wow, so much going on!! Once, again, I love the cozy feeling I get when I read the Idylls.
    Bug, I sure hope Ric gets feeling better soon. I can empathize with your feelings about his retirement. In the "off season" having both of us hanging around can get to be a bit much. DH is not very good at entertaining/directing himself.
    It sounds like you and Wayne have a great relationship. Lol, I'm new to the whole Mother-in-law adventure and it really tickles me when SIL calls me to talk about something, or just sends me a text when he thinks of something that will make me laugh.

Oooooh! Bloody Mary and shrimp! Now, why have I never thought of THAT?

Mary, I'm so glad to hear that you and David are able to get some solid rest. I know that run-down, tapped out, just can't deal anymore feeling. Don't forget to take care of you, too!

Martie, glad to hear that the bankruptcy is dealt with. Great that Ky knows what he wants to do and is going for it. DS is a very bright young man, but nothing seems to spark his interest as far as a career.

Denise, scary stuff with your Dad's surgery...the breathless nights are scarier still.

Marian, my paternal grandmother used to say pretty much the same thing about the first baby :) She always said it takes 9 months for a baby to get here, except the first. That one can be any time. If I understand my family history correctly, she was speaking from experience ;)

The party looks like SUCH a good time. Between Eden's cupcakes, and the spread at the party...well, let's just say the almonds and water aren't exactly hitting the spot at the moment.

I haven't spent the ENTIRE day on the computer, but for as long as I HAVE been in here, you would think the desk would at least be cleared off, lol! In an effort to appear productive, I shall now go attempt to turn the leftover roast chicken from yesterdays dinner into some sort of delicious chicken and rice experiment.
    Have a good one, all, and a BIG ol' HOWDY to everyone!! Good to see Honey back again!
    Brenda

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Hello idylls

What a fun time everyone had at the the Thumb Your Nose party!! And at Eden's pretty and festive baby shower. It's great to have such concrete evidence that the Idylls know how to eat, drink and be merry!!

I had a lousy day today feeling flushed and feverish and just returned from my Dr having found out I have Strep throat Arg! The good news is it's easily treated and I can return to work after 24 hours on antibiotics. Apparently Scarlet Fever is a form of Strep so my blazing red face, neck and abdomen fit right in. It seems hard to get ahead right now but David had a good day at school, and I don't have to take off work for this week's therapy appointments as they are after school. One day we will have some semblance of normal again.

Tonight's dinner is a rotisserie chicken, frozen sweet potato fries crisped in the oven and a pre-washed salad with a bottled organic dressing. That part is easy but as everyone is giving me a very wide berth till I'm no longer infectious it could be a quiet evening. DH is home and still able to make me laugh so things are not too bad.

Mary

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Mary, I'm so sorry to hear you're sick now. Take things as easy as you can. I know that's not as easy to do as it is to say though. Thank you to for your sweet offer on the felting supplies. You have enough on your plate now so I'll look around here and see what I can come up with. So thoughtful of you to offer.

Marie, of course Sarah came up with great names. I would never have had a doubt. Hope dh recovers quickly and you don't catch whatever he has.

Martie, glad to hear that things are going well for you.

Denise, sorry to hear your dad will have to have surgery. Your weekend party sounds like just the ticket for some fun and relaxation.

Hi Brenda. Glad to see you surface.

Hope all of you that are snowed in are safe and snug. Hopefully that's the last hurrah of winter.

I've done absolutely nothing productive today but that's what I needed I think. Megan postponed Bella's birthday party to next Sunday due to the shower so now it's on to helping her get ready for that. Kids and grandkids sure do keep a person busy.

Eden

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

A busy and productive Monday is almost in the books. I flipped through my calendar today and decided that March will be over before I know what happened. Some exciting things on the schedule, and much that needs to get accomplished - finding a dress for the wedding, addressing the envelopes, finishing the basement, attending a soap making workshop, presenting three seminars, and a long weekend in Santa Fe. Oh yeah - and work. Guess I'll scratch sleep from the schedule.

Yesterday I turned around and discovered that one of my agaves was preparing to devour me.

{{gwi:150894}}

Gotta watch out for those sneak attacks.

Saucy, did I tell you I took your suggestion and framed the Queen Anne's lace photo? Thanks for nudging me!

Mary, I had a sneaky feeling you were sick. Get some rest and get better! Glad to hear your DH is home right now. Mine is here for the next three weeks - whatever will I do? LOL!

Eden, the shower looks like it was wonderful. You deserve a day to do nothing.

I like the idea of a Bloody Mary bar for IUVI. And I like the idea of Brenda organizing it...

I need to keep up the productivity here. Later,

V.

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

I got my snow exercise for the day; and then just to make sure I didnt have any "real" fun today, I got to work on the taxes and 5 hours later they're efiled.... Im slow, what can I say? they were a bit more complicated this year than other years, but still it was painfully slow.

I really popped in because I realized I had not sent good vibes to Denise re her dad and his surgery -- I will be thinking of all -- when is it to be now that he's decided things warranted the venture? It is scary, but so often patients feel just the world of difference when it's over -- just so you guys can take another world trip!

Mary -- major hugs -- you poor thing - but Im glad you got proper diagnosis and some drugs -- you've been thru the wringer for sure.

Eden you totally deserve some days off after all that hecticity of the shower and birthdays -- the decs and cupcakes were just charming -- I was making mental notes in case the occasion ever arises that I would do one -- I loved those little clothes on the line around the room too! Just sooo creative -- your whole family is very imaginative and talented!!

I have visions of your DH, 'bug, attending the conference w/the trash can accompanying him -- I cant imagine there will be many folks interested in talking to him close up, LOL.

okay, time for kicking back and trying to turn off numbers and worries about whether I was intelligent enuf for the IRS with no recuperations.

It's too be frigid single digits and wind here tonite and the commute should prove interesting... but since I skipped today, I cant whine - back to reality. Luckily I'd accomplished 95% of the stuff for the trial to start on weds., so I didnt feel too bad an employee altho one never knows what could have surfaced in 24 hours, LOL

--cindy

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Monday greetings, with a special nod to the always entertaining Brenda and her return from lurkdom.. Rain continues here-seems pretty tame compared to the never ending snow events back east.

Am I correct in inferring that Deanne is venturing forth to the Philly Flower Show ? Hope we get some pics .

Strep throat Mary ! No wonder you feel so crummy. You better slow down and give yourself some time to mend a quiet evening(or several) is just what you need .

Martie, nice to hear that an issue is resolved ..and a big one too I think. It must feel great to put something like that to bed once and for all, and not have it hovering over you like a black cloud. You should celebrate by sowing Zinnias !

Ok, so now Cindy has finished her taxes and Im feeling behind schedule. Going to call my tax lady tomorrow and get my appt set up, which will force me to finish the paperwork gathering that I have procrastinated, particularly since I have already purchased my annual tax-return gift to myself.

V, I am very fond of Santa Fe and jealous that you are visiting there- I havent been in several years. The last time I went we stayed at La Fonda very cool , historical and a Patrick Dennis point of interest (and I dont expect anyone to have the least idea of what the Patrick Dennis thing is about-but if anyone does, I;m always looking for kindred spirits ) and very nicely located too. I highly recommend Café Pasquals for breakfast !

Time to cook some dinner and deal with finishing the laundry that I let slide yesterday.

Wave to all !

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Saucy - your dancing germs made me smile!!

My shivers have stopped and I'm hopeful for a good night's sleep. DH is taking over the morning shift so I'm planning on a nice sleep in tomorrow.

Nite All

Mary

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Mary, the antibiotics should be kicking in soon. Rest well!

Eden

• jak1
    15 years ago

4a.m. Can I sleep? Well, no, of course not. I will be tired at 8 a.m., just when things start hopping around here *sigh*

Denise, all the best wishes from here with respect to your father's surgery. It seems that heart surgery is almost a common thing now and so many people have such an enhanced life after recuperating!

Eden, I loved the little clothes hanging on the wall, and the baby photos of Mom and Dad too! What fun!

Saucy, I laughed about "getting the furniture presentable" before taking any photos. Isn't that the truth: I never show any pictures of my house in its normal state - I wait until everything is just right before I get out the camera. That way everybody thinks I'm perfect *LOL*

Marian, nope I do not have allergies, at least I have not tested positive for anything. But I sure do avoid wasps etc. like the plague - swell up can't breathe, whatever. Rush to the hospital, they tell me to see an allergist and get an epipen, the allergist's tests come back normal Done this three times. Now I just keep Benadryl and ice at the ready all summer long. I usually manage to get stung about twice every year...I really chuckled about the "chunk of rubber"! Sounds like something I would do! My mother never taught us anything about keeping house either, but I was a born neat freak, so my room was always presentable, even when the rest of the house was not.

Great news, Martie! What a relief to put something like that behind you and come out the other side in good shape. Congrats!

Brenda and Kathy, save one BM for me - I have never had one either! (That's Bloody Mary, OF COURSE!)

Marie, I can hardly wait to hear the chosen name! I hope things settle down for W and S soon - they (and you) sure deserve a break! It is very unusual for your DH to be sick - I hope all is well on that front also.

Thanks for posting the furniture pics, guys. Interesting how special things become when they are linked to loved ones. Kathy, your DH must have been a talented man!

I think I'll toddle off to bed again. That is where my family will expect to find me come morning!

Cheers, all!

Julie

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How do you know you're well possessed of a sophomoric sense of humor? you come perilously close to blowing coffee out your nostrils when you read Julie's confession that she's never had a BM. I'm sorry, I couldn't help it... I am such a fool sometimes. :) (lol).

Mary, I sure hope the drugs and some solid rest banish that nasty strep. bug that's invaded your person. Cuddle up, stay cozy, and let your body rest for at least a day longer than you think it needs it.

I would love to have Brenda show up on the Compound to be the mixologist for the Bloody Mary bar... maybe you could parachute onto Sanitary Ridge with your jigger securely tucked under your arm.

Painted Advantec sub flooring eats sponge mops. I tried to mop off the blue chalk yesterday morning but was unsuccessful. Unwilling to spend any more time on my hands and knees I've decided to stimulate the economy by browsing mop offerings at the same time I grab some clear topcoating. It was a discouraging day yesterday, I don't like being unsuccessful in my stated mission for the day. Moreover, the helpmeet welched on his promise to sit down and go over the bathroom project and attendant budget issues. It's pointless to push the issue with him so I simply "stewed in silence", thinking of the precious time being lost, secure in the knowlegde that soon it will really be busy for him at work. And he will become increasingly less tractable with respect to "projects". Oh well.

I do not wish to work today. I am crabby. If provoked I could be very, very "sharp" today; what little patience I have for "stupid" is just about gone. And it's too early to administer a beating to the dog.

What's a girl to do?

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Chelone, this girl takes a long walk or does massive amounts of laundry under those conditions. I'm sure there are other solutions we have all come up with over time. But "stupid" is everywhere I find, and this time I don't mean just "silly".

This morning DD & DSIL meet with their lawyer and plan for an ugly court session next week. It will be short and very very VERY stupid! We are hoping good things will result from all this in the long haul...for the little boy's sake.

Yesterday there was a checkup at the midwife's and Skyler was very excited to tell me about the movie she showed him of a baby being born and how brave the mommy was. His questions about water births were all answered by her. She is an older woman who has been practicing midwifery for over 30 years and who makes DSIL very confident and comfortable. She has lost a daughter at an early age to leukemia and Sarah feels that bond with her.

Baby names are no sure thing. DSIL is the one who comes up with goofy (to me) name ideas and I worry about changes to Sarah's choices before s/he actually arrives. There are family birthdays on Feb 13th, March 13th, April 22, June 19th, June 30th, July 10th....So there's the possibility of a shared birthday. There's also EX's birthday mixed in there, and DD really hopes baby misses that date!!! This child is likely to come early it is believed.

DH is feeling better! He even ate some broth with noodles and spinach, mushrooms and tofu last night. Bland, but food at last! He teaches this morning. No, he was not popular at the conference yesterday, but that had nothing to do with being sick. He calls a spade a spade when defending the environment, and that does not help win the popularity contest! One of our favourite slogans, "Mother nature needs a lawyer!"

By the way, the pregnant bride shower report came in. The bride to be is tiny and beautiful, is in her early 30s, happy, but quite uninvolved in the planning of things. She has a twin sister. There were games at the shower, one of which was that four groups were created and each had to design a bridal gown and model it, made from toilet paper! So my friend's team won with their pregnant bride gown. OYYY...Anyway, after 3 hours of that, dinner arrived! No one expected it. Then the 3 men arrived for that (father, FIL, groom) and that's when my friend determined it was time to make her escape.
    And so I'm off to have a date with my treadmill, the grocery store, etc...
    'bug

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Chelone, you can slam things around. That is what I do when I am having a crabby day. It must be something going around. I got up this morning just plain angry! And I don't recall having a bad dream that brought on the anger either.

Saucy, I sure know what you mean about "getting the furniture presentable" before taking pics of anything. I have an additional problem....most of it is so surrounded by other items that I cannot get a clear view to take pics. I have several pices of furnishing I would like to add to that thread, if it were not for the above drawbacks.

It will be fun hearing the name of the new member of Marie's family. One of the couples in our congregation have a very large family, and new great grandbabys arriving frequently. The latest is a boy, and I cannot remember the unusual name that the poor child will be living with. I am seeing a nickname in his future.

Oh my! Mary, what a bummer. My sister is prone to having Strep throat almost with every cold. I do not recall ever being diagnosed with it, although it used to be thought a forerunner of Rheumatic Fever, and I 'was' diagnosed with that. Sister was not, so who knows? Thank goodness there are great antibiotics now that nip it in the bud. I hope you are already feeling better.
    I hope Scarlet Fever is not going around. Our Tim was telling me about a bout that he had with a "blazing red face", etc., just a week or so ago.

LOL, V ! An Agave preparing to devour you! It does look rather menacing. :-)

Ah, taxes...that is one perk of being in the financial condition that we are in. Filing a tax report has been a thing of the past for many years now. I certainly do not miss attempting to make out Nolon's self employment taxes. I would literally get sick every year that I did it. He was very bad at not keeping good records of any of his work and income. I always feared we would be audited and I would be hard put to come up with proof. I was very careful to err on underestimating our deductions and depreciations. After putting out extra bucks (only once) to pay for the filing, a good friend (my former employer) taught me how to do it myself.

Julie, my mom was the neatness freak. If she saw us so much as to pick a piece of link off our clothing and drop it on the floor she would admonish us to " Pick that up and put it in the coal bucket"! Her house was never dust and debris covered like mine has become. :-(
    Part of mine is the hair clusters (like Chelone frequently speaks about). :-) And then there is all the residue from the wood stove, not to mention plant debris, and tracked in stuff from both of our shoes.

I must sign off and tote in the firewood for the day, before getting ready for my Tuesday's trip to town.

Marian

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Good morning and the sun is shining brightly! I had a nice relaxing day yesterday and did just about nothing. So I'm ready to tackle a long list today.

Marie, glad dh is feeling better. That probably makes life easier for you too. We have lots of family birthdays in Mar and April too. David's birthday is April 9th. My due date for him was April 13th, the same date that Jen has for Kate. Jen and Randy have an OB appointment this afternoon and then later this evening an ongoing childbirth prep class at the hospital where the baby will be born. I think tonight is class #3 of 4. Both Sarah and Jen's dates are getting closer and they both seem to be in high preparation mode now. Bella and I are going over to help Jen set up the nursery later this week if all goes as planned and the work the guys are doing in the room is finished. I can't wait to play with all of those tiny baby clothes and decorate the room!

One of the things they did for the baby shower was have guests bring a signed childrens book for the baby instead of a card. Bella really wanted to check out all of the new books so Jen's promised her she can read them all to Kate (in her belly). Bella can't wait to get over to Jen's and do that. I think having the new baby will give Bud and the cats a break from all of the reading they get now, lol.

Looks like it's going to be a nice day here, though cold. Hope Mary's still sleeping in this morning.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Forgot to comment on the agave picture. V, I have one that looks like that from Yucca Do that's called Jaws. Is that what yours is too?