Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

This Moment - February 11, 2011

gardenbug
13 years ago

This Moment - A weekend ritual. A single photo - no words (or maybe a single sentence)- capturing a moment from the week. Perhaps a simple, special, extraordinary moment. Maybe a moment you want to pause, savor and remember. Maybe something that made you smile or laugh. Maybe a craft you are enjoying.... MAYBE A VALENTINE! Share your 'moment' with us.

Comments (18)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is NOT a photo. I wish it were! This is an email that almost got deleted this morning. You know, a Nigerian email. You would have deleted it too... BUT, read on for our special moment.
    "Good day Sir,
    My Name is Kubiat Okon Nkanta, A daughter of Okon Abijah Nkanta from Nigeria,i have a photograph of you Sarah and Adam,My Dad was a Pharmacist and he told us about your family,i searhed you out today just for a re- union.My Dad passed on in 2005, i studied English and literary studies fron university of calabar nigeria and presently work and live in port harcourt Nigeria, ad my Sister ini lives in Texas, USA, and Nkanta ,my younger brother lives in Kent UK.i look forward to hearing from you soonest,my warm regards to Adam and Sarah,may God bless and keep you all.
    Regards!
    Kubiat"

This young woman's father was a gifted student of DH's in 1965-6. We brought him to the US to study at the University of Buffalo, later in Florida to complete his degree in Pharmacy.

He was living with us the day our son was born in June 1971.

He sent us photos of his family after his return home. Later he wrote us of his house burning down in a fire and we did not hear from him after that, although we thought of him often.

So this, after 35 years! Life is amazing.

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Oh I love a happy reunion, GB! What a nice email (and you're right, I would've almost deleted it, too!).

I am working on photos. This dreary weather has left me uninspired. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Saucy

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

I would have deleted the email as well. Glad there was a happy ending.

Does the glass heart count as a Valentine?

{{gwi:150970}}

• Lara Noles
    13 years ago

How great Marie. Reuniting with old friends is always fun. I've connected with quite a few old friends I'd lost touch with, some from as far back as high school, through Facebook. It's nice to see and hear about their families and what they've been up to.

My "this moment" is a Valentine tree that Isabella and I decorated.

{{gwi:150971}}

Eden

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

How Nice to get that email Bug. Glad you didn't delete it.

Cute tree Eden. Perfect for Valentine day.

Pretty glass heart V and your norfolk pine sure looks healthy.

Norma

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

{{gwi:150972}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you get to see Kenzie so often. What a wonderful bond!!!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oldies from Eastern Nigeria, '65-'66

That's DH & I on the left at our goodbye party.
    {{gwi:150975}}

DH playing with the Tex Dandies.
    {{gwi:150977}}

On the left, the daughter of our friend who contacted us this week.
    {{gwi:150979}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:149084}}

We have had very mild temperatures for the past 2 days and so last night we had huge mounds of snow slide off both the garage and the barn roofs. What a noise that was! I spent some back-breaking time removing heavy snow this morning so that I could get my car out. DH did the same for his car. This afternoon we expect a "freeze flash".

We need color!!!!

{{gwi:150981}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ooops...This was supposed to be posted on the other thread. Oh well! Happy Today!

• chelone
    13 years ago

{{gwi:150983}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Chelone touch: neat, organized, handsome and practical.

I'd love several pairs of scissors for different purposes...all arranged in a spot where they would not walk away mysteriously! The only pair I have that do not travel are a tiny pair shaped like a heron...that I use for my knitting. (They must be too small for others to find)

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Splendid Chelone !

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So on Monday I showed you a photo of three small Nigerian kids. I have an update today of the baby boy in the middle. Here he is with his 17 month old son!

We also have a photo of him with his Latvian wife who is gorgeous.

You have no idea what this re-connection means to us- and to them!

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Wonderful Bug.

The helebore is pretty too.

• saucydog
    13 years ago

What a picture of happy father and child! Great smiles.

I like the hellebore, too. Just another in a long list of plants that have yet to make it to my garden. All I need is more time...

Saucy

• snrboy
    12 years ago

WOW! What a memory.Very nice forum was tempted to join.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The two Nigerians, father & son may be visiting us this summer with the Lovely Latvian Mom!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz