Idyll #356 - Beet Juice and other Alternatives

cynthia_gw
16 years ago

Continue the leap, and don't slip.

Comments (100)

• triple_creek
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mary, that is so scary, and I don't know how they can safegaurd all the children. It is a sad state of affairs because you never know when they will hit. At least the authorities can do some prelimary investigation. Everyone has to take these things seriously now. I can imagine how frazzeled it makes you.

I am back in from more clean up. The sun went around and it started getting chilly, plus I was getting tired. I need to work up to things a little slowly after be inactive for so long. It certainly is lifting my spirits though. And yes I know the decent weather won't last.
    I spotted a half dozen crocus scattered about. There was actually a bee of some kind buzzing me once.

Bug does Woody have an extended stay in the hospital or wherevevr they did her procedure?

Norma

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

The latest updates from V.'s world.

Only 1.5 inches of new snow this morning. I left it all and am hoping that the sunshine today has melted it from the sidewalk. I know - rather audacious of me to hope...

Add strep throat to the list of ailment running through our office. Rather amazing to have everyone out with completely different ailments. One more woman went home late this morning with a fever. Don't know yet if she has gotten a diagnosis. We're waiting for someone to come down with dengue fever.

Mary, that is very upsetting. There was a similar incident when my kids were in high school, shortly after Columbine. The administration decided it was an empty threat designed to shake up people. Although some parents kept their kids home (and the school district made it clear that no one would be punished for staying home that day) I talked to enough people at the school and was comfortable sending my kids. And nothing happened.

But would I do the same today? I don't know. It seems like there are more of these incidents happening, and there have been three or four school alerts around the area here since the NIU shooting. It's getting harder to tell the pranksters from the ones who will really act.

So switching now to black humor, there was an apparent natural gas explosion at a shopping center in a Chicago suburb yesterday. The first calls to 911 where just awful, describing body parks scattered through the rubble. Um, turns out one of the stores was a tux rental business, and their mannequins were blown to pieces!

V.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Was too dispirited to post on Thursday. I've rallied today. But am now behind in what's going on with everyone. Damnit!

Quickly:

Welcome to Tricia with the darling house and orchids (you and Deanne will probably hit it right off, lol).

Hoping that Woody is perking up!

I have to deal with the chaos in the kitchen before it trickles beyond the doors that when closed "contain it". I struggle with disorganization daily; it's not easy to break the habit. Good thoughts on the question "to ponder"...

Maybe I'll be back later tonight, or maybe I'll return to the 16th. century; seems I'm more comfortable there lately!

;)

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Snows over for now. I just heard that we're 30 inches above normal snowfall for the winter. It's been a long one too. My mom and dad are both sick with the flu even though they got their flu shots. I guess it wasn't quite the right mix this year.

V, you should be wearing a mask and gloves at work. It'll be a miracle if you escape all of those little buggies. I saw pictures of the mannequin explosion on the news last night.

Mary, how awful. I don't know what I'd do in that situation, probably keep my kids home for my peace of mind. I'm glad you can immerse yourself in your family and crafts this weekend.

Norma, I envy you being able to get outside. I need to get out of the house but there's really no place I want to go. Can't wait to be able to begin spring cleanup though.

Babs, I went through braces and so did all three of my kids. Brad didn't need them though. They are so much more comfortable these days than they were back in the olden days when I wore them. I can remember my mouth being torn to shreds by those sharp wires. Hows about a toothless smiling picture of Ry for us? I think they're so cute with those big gaps in their smile.

PM2, you always find the most interesting pictures to post. Good news that your dh and dd are both doing better. The clawfoot tub came out of my daughters house last summer when they were remodelling. I plan on making it into a bog garden this year.

Martie, Sunday is Dr. Seuss's birthday you know:) I found some cute craft printouts to make with Bella to celebrate the occasion. Sorry to hear your db is having a bad time.

Hope we hear an update on Woody soon and that she's feeling better.

Hi Sue!

Hope Kathy's able to visit. I'll miss her posts :(

Chelone, hope you feel better now that the weekend's here. I think the worst thing about keeping up with housework and organizing is that it's boring and so repetitive.

Bella's being too quiet. Better go check on her. We're having an issue with her lying on the cats (so they can't escape) and "petting" them.

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

Still behind, but gainin'!

Helpmeet is clearly ailing and retired to bed shortly after his return from the doctor. I've tended to the kitchenkaos (dishes!), fed the pride and the cur, and myself. The cur has been taken out for the nightly "forced march". Things are humming along with downright teutonic efficiency. ;)

The forecast has changed markedly since this morning... snowfall has been revised UP. But I'm still skeptical; somewhere between 1-20" seems more likely, lol. I suspect, though, that we will not be going anywhere tomorrow. And that I will be in charge of the oven roaster in the 'fridg.; a pefect showcase for my ability to make stuffing and PERFECT gravy. The only downside is that I may be eating it alone. Norma, I don't do the cooking here, nor do I do the marketing unless it's an emergency. I CAN do it, but usually head out supplied with a detailed list (it takes me roughly twice as long, too, lol!). The only input I have with respect to menus is the very small list of things I WILL NOT eat. Other than that? the food "just appears" at mealtime. I do ALL the KP duty. I do all the laundry and mending. I do 99.5% of the lawn mowing. And I contribute 50% to our household budget. I schedule our medical appointments and see that our automobiles are serviced routinely. BUT! I peeled 2 tangerines and wrapped them in a moist towel before putting them in a reusable plastic bag next to the "sick bed". No cookin', no kids, and I hate dogs.

Mary! the family resemblance is stunning. And a fine looking brood you are (no "Hapsburg jaw"). :) I have to say this: I am SO tired of little jerkass kids pullin' crap like that in schools. I'm sick of "excuses" about their "family life" and I'm sick of the concerns about how that sort of "event" will affect rest of their "adult lives". I have several friends who are attorneys, and whenever I've said I feel some SHAME should be included in the "punishment" administered to the miscreants they've been surprised. I think MINORS should have their names made public when they step that far out of line. Actions have consequences (I don't care that the consequences weren't made clear at home!); and I think public scrutiny should be focussed on them and their parents. I'm sorry your workaday world has been so disrupted by some little jerk. As a taxpayer, I'm outraged at what that sort of foolishness costs a community in MONEY and energy. JMO

Still behind, but still feisty. It was an OK day today; managed to get a lot done and have clear "marching orders" for Monday. Clear marching orders are what I crave... . Tell me what you want in clear, concise terms, allow me to ask the questions I need to ask and then leave me the hell alone to do what I do best!

I don't think the Salon is "green", at all! it's TOURQUOISE, and that's not "green" to me, at all, lol. Funny and very interesting how we perceive and think about color, huh?

I have much to read, clearly!

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Unlike Chelone I haven't 'rallied' yet but am checking in just to let you all know I am still amongst the living. I haven't felt like posting....for no logical reason.

I too hope we hear good news about Woody. Bless her and Randy, and Barb.

Mary, I am sure I would be very leary about being there the 12th. I certainly hope it is just a smart aleck wanting to scare everyone ( and succeeding), and I hope the perpetrater is caught and punished.

Today was a beautiful day, and I even got out and did some cleaning. Too bad it didn't improve my mood!! :-(
    I have lots of crocus in bloom, and the Cornelean Cherry and Flowering Quince are showing color in their flower buds.

My Fibro has been much more active, and the pain pills aren't helping too much. For awhile I thought I may have a virus, but have ruled that out. Sorry for all that do, espacially Eden's mom and dad.

Oh yes...Welcome Tricia! I am the old lady of the group. Old enough to be your grandmother...:-)

Marian

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

The snow on the sidewalk did melt for me! Yay! The temps have now dropped just below freezing, but the wind is howling out there. Chicago is forecasting a high of 50 on Sunday, but I don't think we'll make it out of the 30's. Our main goal for the weekend is to not repeat the basement flooding of two weeks ago. We have a plan that involves plastic and a couple of tubes of sand.

Last year at idyllunion, I fell in love with this path:

{{gwi:151124}}

Later the same day that I saw the path, DH called and said his mom had a bunch of old bricks in her garage, and was there anything I wanted them for? True serendipity! But the next question was what would go in the center of the circle. Last weekend, DH and I saw a woman selling stepping stones that had different leaves and flowers pressed into them. There was one done with oak leaves that had a very round pattern (instead of a design that had a "right side up") and I was debating whether to purchase it. Well, DH wandered off to chat with someone and the vendor put up a sign that she would be leaving shortly. So I made the decision and purchased the stone.

With the rather heavy stone in my arms, I walked over to where DH was at, joined the conversation for a bit and then we started to walk some more. All of a sudden, he said, "Oh no! it's gone." I looked at him very puzzled, and he pointed out that the stepping stone I was looking at was no longer on the table. I got quite a good laugh when I asked him what he thought was in my arms!

Of course, the path is in the area that is collecting water, so it may not be the first project out of the gate this spring. But it will be high up on the list.

I'm hoping that March gives me a couple of days to clean up in the garden. I've usually been able to count on a day or two in February, but not this winter.

Dinner is almost done, so that's all for tonight.

V.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Well, look at all the little night owls showing up. :-)

Gee, Chelone, you seemed so dispirited with your first post that I was tempted to try to cheer you up and here you are just as fiesty as ever..lol. Yes, we are in the path of the snow too and let's keep our fingers crossed it is the last of the shoveling for the season. Unless you are still enjoying winter? Sounds like you and the helpmeet have the division of labor down pat. Very equitable. Very sorry to hear he is not feeling well. DH's PC Doc told him he can't remember a worse winter for infections and flu. It has been non stop at their office. I am sure it is in large part to the flu shot that just didn't zero in on the right strains this year. We use masks, gloves and hand washing at the first sign anyone is ill here. Seems to be making a big difference in keeping it from spreading through the house, although it is a pain in the neck, I guess we are used to it now. One of the many reasons spring is such a relief.

Mary...how horrid to be in the middle of that chaos and stress. A true nightmare. Coming that close to home, I am glad that your kids are in a different school. It will be nerve racking from now until the 12th, I am sure and just hope investigation will uncover who was behind it. I am glad you have a busy evening planned. I would love to start doing some sort of craft again. I used to do a little quilting but not in a long time. It is so relaxing to do something with your hands. Will be very interested to see the dogs you are working on. :-)

Norma...you saw crocus already? We haven't been without snow longer than three days for the past month. [g] No sign of a crocus and we are zone 6. Glad you got out...you seemed to really need it.

V. I am amazed at the variety of infections brewing in your office! It is quite a winter and I just hope in a few weeks with a few warm days and some sunshine, we can all open the windows and air the house out and hopefully start getting to the end of all that fun. :-) Funny story about the mannequins. Really a pleasantly surprising outcome to that explosion for a change.

Eden...a bog garden! What an interesting project. Have you picked out the plants you are using already?

Marian....ouch that your Fibro is acting up again. Any reason that it is bothering you more than usual, that you can put your finger on? Glad you got outside....you are way ahead of us here in New England. I was out in the yard today....lots of snow on the ground and nothing looking like it is doing anything interesting. Hope you feel better :-)

Hello again V.. Where did you see that path? I just LOVE It! I would be very happy and satisfied to have that in my garden to go out and look at anytime I wanted. Wow! It reminds me of Colonial Williamsburg which is one of my favorite places. So you have a lot of the makings of it all ready to go. Hope you can get your water problems under control this year. I am sure it would save you a lot of trouble. Not always the easiest problem to solve.

Well that's it for me for the night too...one more photo to 'leap' into March....

{{gwi:151125}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Sorry...didn't mean to make the photo so large...lol. I will do better. :-)

pm2

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

V, I admire that path too. I wonder where I could fit it in. Most of my path areas are sloping.

• chelone
    16 years ago

I think Dobies are beautiful. Ditto standard Poodles, Schnauzers, and the oft maligned Rottweiler. Clearly, a Bouvier could slip in under the radar. I have a particular soft spot for German Shepherds. And I hate dogs, go figure.

I am a very private person . I have to work. And DEFINING my work cleanly and precisely has accorded me the luxury of defining MY FREE TIME. I'm very skilled with repect to my trade. I'm as reliable as clock work (another reason I loathe DST, lol). I want to "work" on MY SCHEDULE, and the nature of my trade makes it pretty easy. I'm fine with answering the phone, dealing with customers (I'm GOOD at it!), but I want my 8 hrs. to be FINISHED by 2-3PM. One of the benefits of being a tradesman and working "by the hour" is that you get to "call" the time you work. I've found that a willingness to be flexible is useful, too. But I have no desire to work from 8-4. WRONG. No way I could I ever deal with a "cubicle" or a typical "corpie" job. I tried to "conform"; "they" seemed to like me but I loathed them and the work was a bore. YAWN.

I remain, "barely employable".

And fiesty.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Just a fly by post... Medical woes are boring - the short story is that the supposed painless, no-recovery-required procedure has miserably failed to live up to the advance billing! I'm hoping for better days soon...

• cynthia_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Woody, Hope Misty is taking good care of you and that you nap and wake up feeling better :)

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are in the midst of another annoying six to ten inches of snow. I guess Winter is Thumbing its Nose at Us. Seems to me that happened last year too. I was supposed to go to CT for a symposium today but my dear friend Debs Dad is at the end and not expected to live more than another day or two. I cooked dinner for her family last night and will do so again tonight and will take over cooking chores for them for a bit. Difficult times for their family. Chelone, Deb and Peter send their greetings and said to thank you for thinking of them.

Ive been doing a bit of work in the studio and trying to keep up with the plants. Ive come to the conclusion that I have WAY too many plants in the house but every time I try to figure out what to do without I cant really cull anything. Its hopeless! The watering tasks are monumental right now and I have no idea how Doug will deal with it all when Im in FL next month for a seminar. Maybe Ill have to be happy about anything he kills?!!! LOL

Welcome to Tricia! Nice to meet you. I have a few orchids here as well and Marian grows them too.

Mary, loved the family photos! You and sibs look so much alike! ~~ How awful about that business with the threats in the school. Dreadful!

Kathy, what a bummer about the lack of internet connectivity! Id be having withdrawal symptoms.

Eden! Love, love, love the garden pics!!!!! How fabulous and just what I needed for a snowy day. I dont remember when you got that beautiful fountain?! Love it! That banana is enormous! Did you plant that in the ground? Ill be bookmarking that page and going back. What a treat, thanks.

Woody, all the best to you Sending positive thoughts your way

V. stay well, youll have to let us know how the Airborne experiment went.

OK Ive got to go and get some exercise, waving hello to everyone! Have a great day
    Deanne

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

First off, and most important, For Woody and Barb to add a little cheer ... and with thanks to Marian whether she'll admit it or not :-) (notice the color of the walls, LOL)

{{gwi:151126}}

For Kathy and Denise -- the large white blobs are typical March snowflake -- almost 1" wide and very very wet and heavy:

{{gwi:151129}}

A well trained human snow removal enabler does not throw the snow in the direction of the gardens :-)......

{{gwi:151131}}

And, as always in this house, there is hope for Spring!!! I'm amazed that these pity pile own-roots, gotten in the verge of sure demise, have rallied. It'll be interesting to see what color it/they are!!

{{gwi:151132}}

Thanks for good thoughts re DB. I can feel them.

Loving all pics and threads with real color!! Had to LOL at myself as I barely had enough to do standard containers last year. Motivation, indeed!

Ya know, Chelone, when one is a corpie road rep one has the best of both worlds. Security of benefits mostly paid for AND tons of tools to do a good job AND being able to pretty much come and go as one pleases works for me .... Lots of years to get my career to this point, but worth it!

LOL, V, about your husband being concerned about the stone. When you put the path in, be sure to include some Corsican Mint in the cracks. Even in your zone it'll work because the bricks will retain enough heat to make a microclimate. Really fun to smell Creme de Menthe while gardening. Don't mind me, but putting in the path last year and planning the plants to go "in" in was a highlight and just wanted to share.

I keep hearing thumps and slams outside -- heavy snow against the house will do that -- but it means Rich is almost done and I'll bet a good cuppa will be just what he wants.

Later, for sure!!

Martie

• denisez10
    16 years ago

A bottle of ouzo was sitting on the breakfront this morning, ipso facto, Greek ships bearing gifts in the harbor last night. Further evidence was found in the kitchen, with baklava wrapped in a paper towel then stuffed in a coffee cup. I'm not sure which I'll have first for breakie ;-)

Thanks for typing out that note, Woody, and so glad it's over. Was reading about the procedure, that the Swedish invented it, and, yes, lots of mentioning of discomfort-free recovery ;( Hopefully, a few more days will set you right.

Snowflakes! How thoughtful, thanks Martie, I'll take your word for it ;-) PM2 I believe I remember that path from a garden visited last summer by some of the idyllers. Should be more details on that from some of the attendees.

Work, what a conundrum. Chelone, check out the movie Michael Clayton, which will surely further validate your choice of professions. My middle DB has been involved in some aspect of aviation law his whole life, truly a disaster business. During our Chinese dinner couple nights ago he mentioned receiving an email that day regarding a plane crash in Chile with two words: "our engines."

Mary, what a week behind you and now upcoming too. Will law enforcement send announcements to all families to double check that their guns are accounted for and secured, that gun shops alert authorities over sales in that interval of time? Thank goodness for felting and your violin. I think of you and your musical family when my Beethoven violin concerto pops up on the Ipod.

Babs, the chihuahua clothing magic act has been performed many times here in our laundry shed...the incidents that seem to stick in mind most involve some of my favorite cashmere sweaters...

Hi Tricia! Garden and dogs coming soon, it sounds like. Can't wait to read of it. With all the computer woes here lately, you may regret mentioning your profession ;-)

V, I hope your plan with Airborn carries you through the office plagues, dengue, elephantiasis, whatever gets thrown your way. I used to have a chenille bedspread...used to, for reasons much the same as your laundry adventures with DH's Vegas shirt.

Eden, your photos are a treat, what an amazing garden, just a magical place for Bella to be and us big folks too!
    Saucy, at least you've got two out of three on the triathlon, whereas I've got zip. Bicycles need to be spiffed up for spring. The LA marathon is this Sunday, which Marty has biked a couple times but his back still a bit iffy lately.

Marian, I hope that fibro flareup is just about over by now. Waving to all.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Any euphorbfreaks out there? The euphorbs really make winter/spring enjoyable here. This is Tiny Tim and the white varieg euphorb is not Tasmanian tiger but a much easier variety, name forgotten. Agave in pot is Mr. Ripple.

{{gwi:151133}}

Here's the Tasmanian Tiger. Clump of green directly behind is Alstroemeria Third Harmonic planted in fall. Yikes!

{{gwi:151134}}

Blackbird:

{{gwi:151135}}

Ein surveys his domain. bye!

{{gwi:151136}}

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Hi all. It's a beautiful warm day here. I'm doing yard cleanup before the heavy rains we are supposed to get Sunday night. I'm happy it's not snow but we have clay soil so the mud with our 4 dogs is a nightmare!

I wish I could say I was doing garden cleanup but I'm actually picking up trash thanks to Zoe, our 65# foster puppy. She chewed the lid off of the trash container and it's a huge mess. You can chime is with comments Chelone! LOL

The pictures are wonderful. How nice to have a taste of color.

Welcome Tricia. Your photos are beautiful and I love your Web site. I'm building one for the new rescue I'm with. Can I 'borrow" yours? ;)

I hope everyone who is under the weather feels better soon.

Hi Ein!

Jerri

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

So far, so good on the Airborne trial by fire.

Denise, love your euphorbia collection. I can't imagine a much better gift than true Greek baklava!

I headed out this morning to replenish some essentials like shampoo, etc., and while I was driving there was a news story about the Russian election. A Russian citizen named Illya was interviewed, and this made me remember Illya Kuryakin, one of the mad TV crushes of my youth. At the store, on total impulse I picked up a book and I began reading it this afternoon. So who gets mentioned on page three? Illya Kuryakin, of course.

And here's a quote for Woody: "...it's fine to know but not say that anger is good, a bad attitude is excellent, and the medicinal powers of shouting and complaining cannot be overestimated." I hope things are better for you soon.

Deanne, I'm nominating you for understatement of the year award - "I have a few orchids here as well..." I miss your daily posts! Please send Deb and Peter a hug from me.

It's ten to five and the sun is still shining. I think I'll take advantage and go fuss over some houseplants.

V.

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Warning about ceramic pet bowls!
    This was just posted on our rescue site. I never even thought of the possibility of lead in their bowls. I'll be testing for it this weekend.

"I saw a news item on TV last night about ceramic bowls, etc, from China that had designs on them and were found to contain lead paint. I bought some very expensive ceramic bowls for Dev and Andy about 5 years ago and they had the inside of the dishes were covered with designs. I looked on the bottom of the dishes and they were imported from China. I went to Lowe's and they had lead paint testing kits for $4 that you could use on wood, china, plastic, etc. I brought a kit home and tested the dog bowls and they tested as being very high in lead content. If you know any yuppies who may be using ceramic pet dishes with designs on them, they may want to throw them away or at least test them. I have gone to stainless steel now."

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Good evening EST.

It's been a truly peaceful day, and I even had the chance to look for Deanne's tie-dyed coleus. Can't find the tag, but got it at a local grower (greenhouse Freesia for the trade) on Route 5 just south of Yankee Candle. Next item: Find the Name :-)

V. has the most armored immune system I know.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Denise (can you hear me in L.A.?).... A new life goal is to get to California not on business.

Jerri -- You haven't had an easy "dog" few weeks. Here's to it looking up :-) Actually, I like Zoe already LOL

Hope to hear from Kathy -- we want news of Mr. Baby and house.

Eden -- I'm beyond thrilled that Bella will be celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday! I'm in Springfield this week so between this auspicious occasion and St. Patrick's day, green eggs will be plentiful. I'm not kidding ....

Norma - Hope you know I'm gardening vicariously through you. Crocus!!!!!!!!

Tricia: It's safe to come back. LOL

Off to decompress the last little bit. Have a great night.

Martie

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

I thought I would share this link with you. I drive by this farm every day on my way to work. It's always changing just a little and it's fun to see what they have added. The banner photo they have up right now is a good representation of how things look in general right now.

Mary, there's some needle felting.
    Martie, she grows lavender.
    'bug, she has some very cool fibers for knitting.
    Jerri, they have a dog but I don't think there are any pictures of the dog!

V.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Martie, I forgot to commend you for being such a good sister to your DB, so these sweet peas are for you (and Woody and Deanne for being such a good friend)

{{gwi:151137}}

Jerri, I didn't want to bring up that corgie rescue until you had him across state lines into Texas, but am a bit curious what his story was.

V., who didn't like Illya? Were there any fans of Napoleon Solo? Doubt it. And then he was that great alien with the light-bulb head in the Twilight Zone. What a nice farm. In another life, I'd have a nice farm too. Homemade soaps is such a weakness. If I had a bathtub, I'd be dangerous. Now I want Eden's, which I noticed still has the hardware attached.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Well, here is the green photo I promised...Happy March!

Great to hear from you Woody...hope you feel better, soon!

{{gwi:151138}}

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Woody....how great that you mustered up enough strength to post so soon after your ordeal! I hope you are feeling better this evening. The third day is always the worse....

Marian

• greenfreak
    16 years ago

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a little overwhelmed. lol

I don't know how I'll ever get to know all of you so well! I must be diligent. I think once pictures of spring yards and flowers come along, I will have a more visual connection.

Some stand-out comments:

That brick pathway is an inspiration! I have a straight red brick path going to the back of the house that I'm going to relocate. When I do, I will be looking for a shade tolerant plant to grow in between each brick that can stand up to foot traffic. I heard thyme is very good for this and has the added bonus of releasing it's scent each time it's stepped on.

I have many many green walls. Our entire house contains shades of blue and green - our favorite colors. Our living room, which is sparsely decorated, and thus showing that we have not decorated much:

{{gwi:151139}}

Jerri, be careful with that website. My husband was asked to build one for a non-profit he worked for 9 years ago. He had never worked with computers or websites before.

First he was a designer, then a developer (programmer - writing out all that code gibberish) and now he's a high-falootin Technical Director.

It could happen to you!

I'm not sure what your comfort level is with website building, or learning something new, but my site is based on free blogging software called WordPress. It's not for the casual user but someone with a desire to get their hands dirty could really go wild with it. People make different themes (styles) including all the boxes, sections, title bars - and they give it away for FREE. :o

That's what I like best about it. It's created and supported by really generous programmers. More things in life should be like that!

Woody, I don't know you or what you're going through but I wish you well.

And I will invest some time in reading up after I watch Gardening by the Yard tomorrow morning with my breakfast and coffee. I have a sad story that will have a happy ending. I will post the story and the pictures tomorrow!

Thank you once again for your welcome!

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

The first day with McKenzie and Im shot. Im not sure how T and Eden do it. Shes lots of fun though and says the funniest things. We colored, cut and glued. In her eyes Santa is a blonde. She loves Nutella on mini bagels with sprinkles and vegetables. She cooked with the kitchen set with Rick and I around her table, played tractors with grampa and "helped" me make chicken soup. She may go home a little spoiled.

Woody, good to hear from you and sorry to hear that your recovery isnt the norm.

Eden, I thoroughly enjoyed your garden album. Everything is just so interesting.

Another thing we did today was to watch a little of the video tape that Ive been making since 2002 of my gardens. Kenzie just loved it. I was pleased to notice how much better 2007 looked over 2002. My containers back then were positively pathetic.

Denise, I love the euphorbias, unfortunately neither are hardy for me.

V, that path is quite cool and when I saw the first photos of it after the IU I knew I had a perfect spot for it. I dont know if I have enough nice bricks left though.

Martie, sorry to hear that there was an incident involving your DB. It must be really tough to hear that kind of news.

Mary, how awful! Im not sure what I would do, but to make sure that the school has good security practices everyday since the date could really be there to throw everyone off.

Babs, my son and I had braces at the same time. I was fortunate that our dental insurance picked up a portion of his and that my DD had perfect teeth.

I must run and get a few things done.

Michelle

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Braces here all around. Jake actually has a palate expander - that's what they do now instead of extractions (like they did for me!). Mary, I try not to add all the monthly payments together :) I'm a head-stuck-in-the-sand kind of girl :)

Denise! Post more pictures! I love peeking into your garden. Martie, I'll be your travel companion :)

Woody, I hope your recovery is quick. Good to hear from you.

V., my husband swears by Airborne. He's not been sick, either, knock on wood.

Mary, what a stressful week. Did you check out V.s link? That horse is amazing! I still want a hat :)

I start Bee school this week. I hope it's all I'm hoping it will be, LOL!

We had a sleepover here last night (Sarah had a friend over) and I've gotta go even though I had more to say.

Hi Kathy - hope you find a new ISP soon!

Saucy

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all,

We are having a lovely sunny day here today. I had to set up another couple lights recently to house the fuchsias that are coming out of dormancy. All my plants are breaking dormancy big time and Ive got to figure out where Im going to put the darned things. Yes, I know, Im crazy and have way too many plants but I dont seem to be able to let anything die. LOL ~~ You all should see the large Beacon Rosa standard! I put it under the lights a couple weeks ago and its growing like gangbusters. Its going to be fabu this year. Ive also started about six new standards using this fuchsia with the sweetest little flowers called Galadriel. Ive no clue where Ill put them but such strong growers I couldnt help myself.

Mary, let me know when youd be able to take care of some cuttings and Ill have Doug drop them off for you. Did you start Datura seeds this year?

Woody, sending good thoughts your way. Hope your recovery is speedy.

Beautiful room Tricia!

Michelle, the lovely geranium you gave me with those little, magenta fluffy looking flowers has gotten so large I had to take a bunch of cuttings. Its such a happy camper this year.

Saucy, Bee School!!! Fantastic. Will you be able to share pictures with us?

Denise, thanks for the Sweet Peas! Love, love, love your garden pics! Beautiful, more? ~~ Funny story, at the party last weekend Chelone went over to the Sanseveira cylindrica and said, "Wow, that looks like a plant youd find in Denises garden." I laughed and told her shed gotten a hole in one as you are the person whod sent it to me.

Martie, great pics, love those African Violets.

OK must run, I"ve got to get to the gym and get my day started.

Have a good one everybody,
    Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

First I have to tell T "thank you" for passing along the message. Im sure my voice left on her recorder had to sound panicky and whiney...LOL! This has been the week from He-double-toothpicks! BTW, T, I heard you calling me back but could not transfer over as I was on the phone with my server! Long story short (can I do short?...I doubt it!). Anyway, I spent the first two days on the phone with my server doing all kinds of things to try to fix my problems. Their conclusion; it was a Microsoft problem. The next day was Microsoft and they told me because of the problem I was having they were sure it was my security softwares problem. Spent the rest of that day trying to get a hold of my security software company...do you know they want to *charge you* for talking to you on the phone...about $3.00 a minute?!? Anyway, did their virtual tech instead and after loading up their virtual tech and having it check my files, it said "no problems here". The next day I talked to Microsoft again and the patient and saintly woman who worked with me spent over 6 hours helping me figure out what the problem was. Finally she said, "well, lets remove your security software and see if you can sign in." Sure enough, when I removed the security software I *could* sign in. So Microsoft was right all along! Of course, now I didnt have any security, so I dared not use the internet or go into my email. I have security loaded back on my computer, so Im a surfer again. Top all that with the fact that both Paul & I came down with the flu. I think my case was milder than his though, as I am feeling pretty good today, but he is still in bed with it.

Glad to see that Woody has posted, though Im so sorry that you had to go through something like that Woody. Anyway, I hope youre feeling better soon. And poor Barb too! I did smile at your comment though..."that she only did what you wanted to do." Im sure I would have fainted too. Its the weirdest thing, I can hurt myself *anytime*, bleed profusely, whatever, and it wouldnt make me panic at all. But, see someone *else* bleed and I totally lose it. I have fainted more than a few times at the sight of someone else bleeding. My theory is that I dont get upset when its myself that is bleeding because *I* know how bad it is and how bad it hurts, but when someone else is bleeding I cant take it cause I dont know how much pain they are in and I cant handle the thought that someone else is seriously hurt or in pain.

Mary...what a lovely family portrait! The family resemblance *is* amazing. That Iris sure is a beauty and Im sure she was absolutely enchanted with her little animals. So, you are on to dogs now? :-) Funny, I saw the book for that (I think). The one I saw anyway had a Sheltie in it and I have been tempted to order it and try to make a duplicate of Scout (yes, I know Im obsessed with my dog...LOL!) Im just not sure I have the skill or patience for needle felting...it looks "hard" to me and I bet you have to be very nimble to work with such tiny things? My fingers are not as nimble as they were when I was younger.

Denisez...thank you for the A&C links. Oh my, what beautiful places....so when are you free? :-) Enjoyed all your euphorbia pics. I have only one euphorbia, but I really like it. It was given to me by a developer, for trial, along with a few other plants. When our snows melt (please, please)....Id like to post a picture and maybe you could I.D. it? I cant remember the name anymore, but Im sure it is in the market by now, as Ive had it for several years.

Ive enjoyed all the pics from PM2...that evening snowfall pic is amazing. I really love that pic "parting look at winter"...what a lovely girl and what a moving portrait.

Marian, sorry to read that your fibro as been acting up...I hope you get some relief soon and sorry that youve been feeling a bit out of sorts. How lovely to have something blooming...spring is *my* favorite season. Im wondering if all my hellebores have buds, but whose to know since they are buried under a few feet of snow...LOL! Poor things! I hope the snow melts soon.

Speaking of flowers, while I had no computer I started reading some of my old garden books. The one Im finishing now is My Favorite Plants by Jamaica Kincaid. Little essays from many well known gardeners. Which brings me to my point. To all you North Easterners (Deanne, Sue, Monique, Chelone, Saucy, Marty, Wendy and now Trishia....my youve become a large group...how lucky is that?) this passage goes to you and BTW..."Welcome Trishia". Wayne Winterrowd writes that you can grow Meconopsis...even the *blue* one Meconopsis betonicifolia...have any of you tried? He gardens in Vermont. He states the most imperative thing in growing Meconopsis b. is to remove any and *all* buds developed for the first season. The instructions given to him were: "plant them firmly, just at the crown, like strawberries, in rich decayed leaf mold, give them bright dappled light, with morning sun, but most important of all...you *must* pinch out the first flower buds and wait for the next year to see them bloom. That would be hard for me to do, I think. Heres the explanation given to him about why you must pinch out the first years buds: "Meconopsis capable of becoming perennials will expend everything, when they are young seedlings or divisions, on their first flowers. They then become monocarpic, fading away after bloom like any common biennial foxglove. But if the first flower buds are pinched out, some will settle down to form crowns and persist from year to year as true perennials." Does it sound like I am trying to tempt you guys? Well, yea, I am...LOL! Id love to see pics of them blooming in one of your gardens. Deanne, youre such a nurturer...Im sure you could do it! Im half tempted myself, but I believe Illinois is much too hot in summer for them.

Eden, Im enjoying reading your posts about whats going on in your life, and all about little Bella. She is a beauty! Thanks for reposting the spring countdown...it sure lightens *my* thoughts....as did your garden link! That iris is so beautiful, with such delicate coloring. I *do* love irises and wish they would grow better here for me. I cant think of an iris though, without thinking of Jain. One year I had such a bad case of the borers that I had to destroy all my irises. In the last 6 or 7 years now Ive been slowly introducing them into my garden and so far, so good. I got such a kick out of your "mixer" planting...you always come up with the most whimsical and charming ideas! And I love the way you combine textures....especially lovely is that planting of textures with the cherub who is looking up? Wonderful! And all those containers...amazing! How do you keep them all watered and looking so beautiful?

Oh, I have a question for you guys. Heres the situation. The other day I received a phone call from someone who said "I got your name from a *friend* of *mine*, who said you applied for a job with her company". I *do* know the company she is talking about, as Ive only applied for 3 jobs, one turned out to be something I wouldnt like to do (selling) and the other turned me down because I didnt have enough Excel experience. So I knew it was the third one (also it had to do with horticulture, as did the person who called me). Anyway, she says "My friend thought that you would be a good fit for me and I have an offer to present to you if you are interested." What do you think about that? DH thought it was very unethical for the person I did apply to, to give my name and number to this other person. He didnt like it at all. Now he has me wondering...did she show this woman my resume? Give her personal information about me? That does make me feel a little uncomfortable. Am I being paranoid? I mean on the one hand Id be grateful to get a job, as the only work I'm doing write now is a *little* bit of subcontracting for Dotty's hubby. Anyway, I do not know what this person has to offer, as I did not call her back. But it *does* bother me that the job I wanted (the one I applied for) never called me back and yet gave my information to someone else? I have not called back the person who called me on the phone. Should I? Have any of you referred a person you did not hire to somebody else...without asking them if it was okay to give their information to someone else?

Deanne...thanks for posting some pics from the TYNAW party! Looks like fun was had by all and that cake looks amazing! Id be drooling for sure! :-)

The other thing Ive been working on with my "computer down time" days is the collage Im making of Scout. But I am putting that on a separate post so you dont have to scroll through it all the time. So thats it for me for now...hope you all have a great day! P.S. Hi to anyone I may have missed, but it wasn't on purpose, I just have a lot of catching up to do here.

Ei

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Happy Sunday to all;
    back in biz on laptop finally; I think we're de-molded and Chloe & I only suffered for about 4 hours without heat.

Great to see so many folks posting, and including new one -- welcome Tricia -- you'll get the hang of it soon enuf and can come and go as time and sanity permit, LOL.

V -- I too have been fanticizing about that path and have been contemplating doing in my small yard -- altho it sounds like you may definitely put it into reality way before me. I look forward to hearing about its execution. I was just dreaming of it winding around my patio this morning.

Woody, Im glad to hear you're okay -- i'd done some research re the gamma knife here in the States a few years ago when my SIL was threatened w/ possible surgery. I guess the only good thing to say is that it's over with NOW, and you can try to forget the fibs told, and hopefully side effects will be minimal. Rest up, dream of your garden and spring will be there soon.

Denise - yes, Im euphorb freak; have a few but havent been able to keep that Tas. Tiger, grrrr.... I think I ordered 2 more new ones this year.

Lots more to talk about - but the sun is shining, it's about 50 degrees and Im going to do garden therapy!!!!!! Back later.

Cindy

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Ei, if I remember correctly, I planted 2 plants in 2001 which didn't bloom the 1st or 2nd year. By the 3rd year only one was left. Mother Nature helped out by providing us with 2 cooler somewhat wet summers in a row, which I still think might have helped the sole plant survive to the 3rd year. I don't remember if I had to pinch off flower buds-I don't think there were any until the 3rd year. Of course, the flower buds started to swell right before hubby and I were headed off on our trip to France. My inlaws were dogsitting and I made them promise they would check every single day and take photos if it bloomed. Luckily it waited until we returned home. It bloomed for a couple weeks, then did not come back the following year. The nursery I got the plants from closed down, so I never tried them again. You cannot beat the beautiful soft blue color:

{{gwi:151140}}

{{gwi:151141}}

• chelone
    16 years ago

Greetings from "sick bay". The helpmeet barely emerged from his "rat's nest" on the first floor yesterday. He ate virtually nothing. Even the roasted chicken didn't tempt him. :( Most ominous of all, though, was his complete lack of concern about the condition of the driveway. Nurse Polly (the double-pawed kitty) spent a great deal of time ministering to his needs.

We received 3-4" of snow and then it turned to rain for the remainder of the day. I'd rather get 10" of snow than that sort of mix. It's too heavy for the snowblower and calling someone to plow only tears up the driveway. I spent yesterday afternoon making countless passes with the shovel to eliminate the bulk of it before it froze into winter's version of cement. I'm glad I did, too. It's beautiful today and Old Sol is really putting the finishing touches on my hard work. Aside from the shadiest portion of the driveway it should be down to stonedust by tomorrow afternoon. I can tell he is feeling a little better today. He had a shower, ate some yoghurt, and asked if I'd venture out for a NY Times and some ginger ale. He also mentioned my conscientious effort with respect to the driveway.

I was particularly taken with the "This I Believe" essay on NPR this morning. It really resonated with me, as do many of the essays. I thought of so many of my friends who lament the time they are required to put in "to get ahead", the hours spent in cars commuting. Sometimes, when I get freaked out by the price of healthcare, etc. I wonder if I made the right choice of vocation... but then I think of coming home on a beautiful afternoon to play in the yard, or the time I was able to take care of Mum, or the crummy, stormy days I don't have to go anywhere, and I think I've made an OK choice.

Am now woefully behind and want to hear about the symposium that was likely great fun.

Time to check on the invalid. ;)

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Drive by post. I'm washing the sheets again. DH got up early this morning and found most of a mouse on the foot of the bed. Thanks 'girls'... EEW!

Jerri

• greenfreak
    16 years ago

My confession: I have not fully picked up proper latin names. So I read Ei's post and made a mental note to look up "Meconopsis betonicifolia" and see what it looked like. As I scrolled down and saw Monique's pictures and thought - wow, how pretty. Those look like Himalayan Blue Poppies. THEN I read the post and found out I was right!

I am a mad organizer and this winter, I have been scouring my garden magazines and my beloved "The Complete Garden Flower Book" for new plants that I can grow. Our last place that we rented was just a few blocks from the ocean and thus, sandy soil. I also had no trees and could only grow things that could stand the brutal sun, which was a lot. But gardening in containers wasn't easy (landlord didn't want permanent changes) on hot summer days.

Now that I have full sun, part sun, and shade, I am overjoyed. I have a list 7 pages long of different things I want to try. Himalayan Blue - excuse me - Meconopsis betonicifolia was already on that list! :)

Ei, can I guess what kind of security software you have? Is it Norton Security? The problem with security software is that it often provides TOO much security. For both antivirus and antispyware, I use AVG. Which is free, for the basic version. If you are using Windows XP, you already have a firewall and between those three, that should be all you need. I'm sorry you had so many hours to deal with, to get your problem fixed. Unfortunately, it's common practice for one company to blame another. Especially when you probably won't get the same person on the phone when you call back.

I'm not sure if Microsoft still does it but they used to ask for your credit card number before they would even talk to you. Which is why I usually abbreviate them M$ instead of MS.

Also, I have gone on interviews based on recommendations from previous interviewers. But that has only happened twice and I was notified beforehand. It was kind of like - "We don't want you but we're referring you to someone who might, don't feel bad." ;) I didn't accept either of the other jobs, although they were offered. I hadn't pre-screened the companies or the positions and didn't like what I did find. But I wasn't that upset about it. Perhaps think of it as another opportunity you would not have had otherwise, although I do think they should have at least contacted you.

So I finally bit purchased myself a nice heavy concrete bird bath. It has a flower/hummingbird/ivy design on the side and the base. I felt terribly for the woman at Wild Bird Unlimited. She was feeling under the weather and tried to help me carry it out to the car. She was struggling with the weight when I plucked it from her arms. She was very surprised and said, "That weighs 75 pounds!" and I smiled. I didn't want her to feel badly that it wasn't a burden for me so I said, "I lift weights." I really do lift weights but only five pounders while I walk the treadmill for 15 minutes a day.

It took 15 minutes for Mr. Mockingbird to find it and have himself a drink. My husband, previously uninterested in any bird but the Cardinal, even seemed interested. Since we have moved here, we have quite a large variety of visitors daily. His favorite backyard visitor was one that I dread. An Eastern Cottontail rabbit. I see a large purchase of chicken wire and lots of digging in my future.

I skipped over the photo galleries you have posted, but now I finally have time to dedicate to them. I do love pictures! I will leave you with a little bit of color - I have no idea what this is but saw it at the NY Botanical Gardens in the very hot and very sunny rock garden:

{{gwi:151142}}

• cynthia_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The wallpaper came off the downstairs bathroom walls so easily, I could roll it up and use it again. (Yep, just gave myself a little pat on the back.)

• chelone
    16 years ago

There seems to be a trait common in New Englanders that manifests itself at roughly middle age. I recall noting it in my father and wondering about it at the time. I have a memory of him, at this time of year, spending many an hour in the driveway of our home. He would patiently chip away at winter's accumulation of ice on the driveway. He'd patiently toss the chippings to the center of the driveway and patiently watch the sun melt it away. Then he'd return to the task and do some more. Figuring largely in the whole exercise was the intense enjoyment the cats derived from dancing after the tossed ice chips and the delight Dad found in watching their ballet. I marvelled today that, I too, have achieved the age and the trait seems to be manifesting itself definitively. And what of the stalwart mid-Western contingent and our Canadian cousins... is such behavior common in your areas, too?

How about a picture of the bird bath, Tricia?

We love paths. Our's are nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the one V. posted but they serve their function. They accorded Mum the ability to wander the compound with relative safety when she lived here. Our's are stonedust only, and some are more conducive to weeds than others, but they drain well and when/if finances permit the base is there for more attractive surfaces. We have to redirect one of them and add another in the coming season.

Presently, though, we're thinking about fences... of the privacy variety. Our lot is now fully "open" to the vacant glances of multiple tourist vehicles for essentially the entire frontage on the road. We KNEW that was going to happen, but the reality has been more shocking than we could have imagined. We would prefer a natural fence of thoughtful plantings and are on our way, but time being what it is we are considering fencing. Any thoughts?

Woody, I learned that the medical profession doesn't always speak the entire truth when I was a kid and they told me the tetanus shot wouldn't hurt. BULL-HIT, it hurt like hell. Rest up, nap, lounge around, and post again when you're good and ready. Hang in there.

Cynthia, think you might be able to find a buyer on e-bay? ;) Clearly, the previous owner either knew how to properly hang wall paper or hired someone who did. Lucky you! Will you be sticking with "primer" or will you wade into the morass of color?

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Well, I have the Artisan Bread that Eden posted the recipe to in the oven as we speak. It truly was easy - could it possible taste good? I had planned to make a cracked black pepper and parmesan cheese loaf, but forgot to add the ingredients before rising! Oh well...there's always next time.

Chelone, the symposium was very inspiring for me. The kicker was that pictures of Sue's and Monique's gardens were used as illustration :) We followed up with a nice mid afternoon dinner at Agave in downtown Hartford. The real surprise was the spread of soups that the Hardy Plant Society (of CT) put out!

Cynthia, there is nothing more satisfying than freshly removed wallpaper :)

Chelone, hope your helpmeet comes out of his funk soon. Hope you don't catch it, either :)

I'm really ready for bare earth and Spring clean up. I will add a link to one of the speaker's websites. He was animated and fun and kept us rolling after our big tasty lunch!

-Saucy

ps - who was it that was interested in the Whistling Season? If you're interested in reading it, email your addy to naljet AT hotmail DOT com

• chelone
    16 years ago

I KNEW that symposium would be fun. But I couldn't have made it anyway given how things turned out this weekend. I'm not in the least surprised Sue and Monique's gardens were featured, either, having seen 'em "with mine own eyes". It will be fun to have you guys visit the compound and listen to what pearls you have to cast forthe.

OK, so here's the big news of the day: I finally forced myself to go out to the Salon this afternoon and install the remaining 32 flourescent bulbs in the fixtures. Naturally, I flipped the switches to make sure everything lit up. My BIL came over for a "look-see", too, but it was hard to really get the full effect on a bright, sunny afternoon. I called him this evening when I took Rex out for his post-prandial outing and we flipped the switches after dark. LET THERE BE LIGHT!!! suffice it to say they could have done the Gamma Ray procedure on Woody up there.

It looked like the space ship from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and there was no need for path lighting next to the building, lol.

And it was good...

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Just waking up from a Sunday afternoon nap. Spent a big chunk of the day shoveling the foot and a half of snow on the deck and flinging it onto the pond. I am hoping that when it melts, it becomes pondwater instead of carpet stain in the basement.

Chelone, I believe the preferred midwestern middle age obsession is spraying down your sidewalk with the garden hose. Of course, being a city kid we had no driveways to shovel so perhaps my dad would have done so if he could have. I too enjoyed the This I Believe essay this morning. In an earlier lifetime, I was commuting to Chicago, working for Fortune 500 companies and lusting for Burberry coats. But I left that for a job that would allow me to go to programs at my kids' preschool and I have not regretted it for a moment. Had I stayed in the corporate world I would easily be making double my current salary, but you know what? There's so many other aspects of my life that would be different I have never thought twice about the choice I made.

Ei, glad to see you got your problems resolved. I hate dealing with tech support!

Tricia - Anemone patens, or Pasque flower. One of the first to bloom every spring, and I have been known to get down an my knees looking for buds:

{{gwi:151143}}

That's from my garden a couple of springs ago.

V.

• cynthia_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Saucy, how cool that idyll gardens were included in the presentation.

Ha! Chelone, the kudos are to me because I wallpapered that bathroom 8 years ago. Sorry I wasn't more explicit in heaping praise on myself :) When I de-colored that bathroom originally, I removed 3 layers of paper which had been painted over in canary yellow. I had beige and white broad stripes in there and went to white and beige.

Tricia, that's a gorgeous photo! Looks like Pulsatilla vulgaris.

Photo from Seneca Hill:

{{gwi:151144}}

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hello Idylls

Chelone - I too was taken by today's This I Believe. It rang very true and echoes thoughts of my own, I only wish DH shared the sentiments a little more. I find the series fascinating and enjoyed a collection of essays from the library whcih included essays from the original 1959 series. The most moving for me was by Isabel Allende (an author I love) which had tears streaming down my face when I heard her reading it on the radio and has moved me to tears since on rereading.

Speaking of books, if anyone is interested in a good read look out for a cop of Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen. We scheduled it for this month's book club and I was not sure how much I would enjoy fiction about a depression era circus. Instead it is one of the best books I've read in ages. I was drawn in from the first few pages and finished it at 3 AM one night in DC.

Today was a great day. DH was home, everyone healthy and the sun shining. David and I went to a park and had a wonderful time cross country skiing. We did one of the more challenging loops (lots of hills) but the snow was perfect and despite the perfect weather the trails almost empty. Afterwards we drove on for a cup of tea with a friend who lives a few minitues away. This afternoon Annie, David and I went to hear Mendelsohn's Violin played by a beautiful young soloist Tai Murray - it was fabulous. We had supper together with DH beside the fire and I'm pottering about getting ready for tomorrow. (Well, actually I'm idylling thinking about everything I should do for tomorrow).

Deanne - I would love ANY cuttings you can spare. I'm about to get my light bank fired up for seed starting and could give them a cosy home. I have double purple datura seeds in a baggy germinating but so far nothing has sprouted.

Ei - I have a copy of Fleece Dog which has a really cute Sheltie in it. If you're not successful let me know as I'd love to try one for you. Here are two I made this weekend.
    {{gwi:151145}}

Woody - wonderful you could check in - I'm sorry for all you have been through. You remain as brave and stoic as ever. You're still very much in my thoughts.

A big wave to everyone else

Mary

• cynthia_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I apparantly scrolled right pasque V's id. (It's the wallpaper fumes.)

The felted pups remind me of Steif dogs. Really nice Mary! (Scale noted, thank you :)

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

The wee one is sleeping after a big day of church, Sunday School (with Gramma as the teacher) and a birthday party for Ricks 4 y/o grandson. I havent even had my camera out yet, but I did a little video taping while she played the piano. This morning that was how we were awakened, by the sound of gently tinkling piano keys, no pounding at all.

Tricia, dont feel bad I too havent fully picked up the latin names even after gardening for 10 years. I admit it that I probably really dont try too hard either ;o) They still let me hang out here ;o)

Deanne, Im embarrassed to say my geraniums mostly survive the winter and surely dont thrive. In fact all my plants are anxious to escape their indoor captivity. Id actually like to see the magenta one as I dont recall which one that might be. I am pleased to say that I have two fuchsias that are doing quite well under lights.

Saucy, bee school, how interesting. Our neighbors kept bees and sold the honey for years. Now one is deceased and the other in the nursing home.

I planted a couple of Pulsatilla last year and will eagerly await an early bloom this spring. Early spring is my weak area in the garden.

Michelle

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Happy Monday. Will catch up later, but wanted to share what I found outside yesterday :-)

Babysat grandplants since June. So far, so good...

{{gwi:151146}}

Sometimes the simpliest plants bring the most joy on March 2:

{{gwi:151147}}

In the larger context of the southfacing herb garden -- notice the lav ('Provence') greening up already!! WaHoo!!

{{gwi:151148}}

On the other side of the house, a full zone microclimate away, one of the baby Hidcote.

{{gwi:151149}}

Sunny and in the 40's today. Downright balmy!!

Later -

Martie

• greenfreak
    16 years ago

Veronica and Cynthia, thank you for the ID's! I have a few succulents in pots already that I was thinking of re-potting in something larger. Looks like this flower may be right at home among them. I will have to keep my eye out on the sun as it changes position in the sky and figure out my sunniest spots. I used to bake my cacti & succulent pots on the concrete walk I had and they thrived. Maybe I can reconfigure some of those red bricks I have as a base for the pots... hmmm...

Cynthia, I'm always on the lookout for good online sources - is Seneca Hill a good place, you think? I don't know if I'm just being frugal or not but I had a look at some websites like White Flower Farm and had major sticker shock. The only perennial source I've used is Bluestone Perennials, and I liked them but wanted to shop around.

I wish we could print entire threads instead of just posts. You are all giving me such great information that I need to archive somehow. I bookmarked GW threads over the years but over time, they get removed as the pass on to the last pages. I suppose I shouldn't print that much though - save paper. Copying the whole page winds up a little messy in MS Word too.

Such is life. I'll have to write down Mary's book suggestions and check them out. I have to go to the library and vote on the new budget on Tuesday, seems a good time to look them up!

Martie, what is that green peeking up out of the ground in your second picture? I have a few things sprouting myself and have no idea what they are. I will take pictures tonight when I get home, and hopefully y'all can help ID them. I'm very bad with foliage ID's. :D

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

No time to visit this morning, but I see Tricia you are wondering about how to save information you are finding on the thread. Have you tried using the Clipping function that is next to each post? It is to the right of the page. I have used it a number of times and it ends up being your own data base of important information you want to remember. :-)

Waving to everyone! It's MONDAY...busy busy, but it is really bright and sunny outside and it is March!

bbl...
    pm2

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Drool...drool...drool, Monique! :-) Wow those are *lovely* and how great that you were home in time to see them! What a tragedy it would have been if you had missed them. I may not have explained Wayne Winterrowd's comment. I think what he was saying is that *whenever* the plants make their first flower buds, you need to remove them. That's why I thought it would be so hard to do. Especially given the fact that yours took *3* years to bloom! :-(

Tricia - that is a lovely flower...yours too V! Are they the same as Cynthia's picture? I have the ones like Cynthia's picture. Well, only a few of the red ones, but I have a bumper crop of the purple version which seems to like to seed about in my garden. I don't mind...I love the flowers and the fuzzy buds that look like new born chicks before they open! :-) I know them as the name Cynthia used, Pulsatilla vulgaris. V - are there different types? Or has the named changed? I need to keep up better.

Oh Mary...those are adorable! Is that Clousseau on the left? Sorry to say I forgot what kind of dog Closseau was, although I do remember him having the same coloring as the guy on the left. And that Scottie...how perfect! Cynthia hit the nail on the head. Everytime I've seen your needle felt animals, there was something *so* familiar to me about them. They *do* look like Steiff animals! Maybe you should create a teeny, tiny button for their ears. Seriously though, you could really make a business out of it, if you wanted to. They are so perfect and professional looking.

Michelle...just wanted you to know that the geraniums you gave me the year before last are still with me! :-) I am so happy because I love that rich purple color and have never seen ivy geraniums quite like them, at least not here. Thanks again...I just love them! That Kenzie is a little sweetheart. At least, I think it was Kenzie you were referring to?

Chelone...very smart idea with the paths. But I knew you would be thinking ahead...you have a very sharp mind!

Ohhh how fun Martie! I totally understand about seeing something green peeking up from the ground! :-) Wish it were so here, but we are still with a good amount of snow. But it is to be warmer today and with rain, so maybe it will wash away and I can find my buried Hellebores! :-)

BTW, where is Bug? Is she away and I missed it? Love the pic of Reed & pup....seems Reed is very taken with the puppy...look at that adoring smile! :-)

Okay, I guess I best be moving...hubby is home, still ill and I promised him some farina. BTW Chelone, I see your hubby was hit with the flu too? Hope he is bouncing back and that you don't catch it.

TTYL! Ei

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Thank you, Tricia, for the rash of pasque flwr postings and even some inside pasque-flwr humor courtesy of Cynthia (badaboom!) Made the unfortunate choice of smoking cigars after dinner with my BIL and barely survived. Haven't had Alka-Seltzer in decades but fixed me up enough to limp off to work. Too old to be keeping up with the boys, I guess...

Definitely no meconopsis here, but one of its more promiscuous kin, a poppy rupifragrum, unfurled brilliant orange petals yesterday. Must dash and rinse smoke-filled hair.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Just another quick pop-in - I confess I was so tired from the garden exercise I couldnt lift my digits to click on the laptop last nite. I made about 2/3s headway w/ the cutting back of things (clematis, roses, etc.); but am wary of some as it's still pretty chilly - altho Monday here is forcast to be in the 60s!

I see the same photo from Seneca Hills that suckered me in last year -- the pulsatilla vulgaris rubra -- I hope they come up and bloom this year -- arent they luscious? couldnt 'pasque 'em by as Cynthia says....

I gave away a ton of furniture finally on Sat to a church that was willing to come pick it all up -- and I was gratified (aside from the tax write-off) to hear the man say it was just the sort their "furniture garage" needed for people to come get. While I might hve liked that $$ in the pocket the craigslist venture was kind of a bust.
    I bet you could sell the wallpaper though, Cynthia, what a riot -- total recycle.

Ei - I noted your comment re the "stranger" call re your resume -- I've noted from friends that this seems to be a thing of the now -- very few people, headhunters or HR folks, believe in the "sanctity" of asking ahead of time re your resume -- on the plus side, you have to think of it that the original person was impressed enough and remembered you enough to think of mentioning you to someone else -- so I think that's good. Nowadays, a lot of firms even require to sign a disclosure form and consent form for credit checks, etc., even before they make you an offer -- which I guess eliminates their liability re personal non-disclosure. It's weird, but that's the way it's played - at least a lot of places here in D.C.

Tricia - I was very pleased w/ my order from Seneca Hills last year (they're in upstate NY near Mary? I think) -- wonderful plants and packaging for mail order. Im anxious to see what comes up as I got a number of "spring" items from them.

Well, Im getting the stuff dropped off at my desk -- that means lunch time is over.

--Cindy