Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll #498 ..Back and Forth

dodgerdudette
13 years ago

In my garden February features wild temperature swings-winter on Monday, spring on Tuesday.

I'm ready for the 'real' spring , how about you ?

Kathy in Napa

Comments (100)

• chelone
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

More snow this morning, looks like 4"/thereabouts and cold. Tomorrow it's supposed to get really warm and rain like hell. "Suiting up" involves a pullover over the base top layer, the coat, the gloves, the hat (I prefer knitted pea caps), and boots (+/- Yaktrax). It takes more time than it does in the summer, but it's time well spent if you're going to be outside. The dog and I were out at 5 AM and spent 15 minutes rambling around the paths. The snow was just starting and it was pretty windy but it was beautiful.

The chairs in question are the iron ones that go with the round table. They had taupe cushions on them that were curved to fit the shaped mesh of the chairs. I've removed the old covers, harvested the zippers, and recut the foam, so the new "look" will involve 2 cushions/chair instead of simply one. I completed the seat cushions yesterday and am roughly half way finished with the backs. The fabric is a pleasing, tweedy affair in greens and taupes from the Sunbrella furniture collection. I have redone the cushions for the faux wicker sofa in the same fabric. It works up nicely and I like the effect very much.

Activity at the bird feeder has been frenzied the last few days and watching the action always reminds me of you, Deanne. I am going to need a good pair of binoculars if I'm going to spend any appreciable amount of time out here.

I'm not thinking about spring yet... too early just yet. Rather, I'm more focused on getting some tree work done before the little spring ephemerals and the ferns begin to emerge. It would be nice to do some thinning and get moving on the firewood supply for 2013 (no kidding). As usual, there seems to be more focus on the the important site work and less on the "pretty". Oh well, c'est la vie.

Back to my cushions.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

We went to Mpls. for the weekend. Charlie was baptised. It snowed on the way up just enough to make the trip a bit more slow. We had a nice weekend with family but its good to be back. I'm really a homebody. I returned to find my aloe which I've been watching the buds for weeks really starting to bloom. So I thought I'd share.

{{gwi:151507}}

{{gwi:151508}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good evening Idylls. We've warmed up a bit there, rain is coming in again . I tried to pull some weeds this afternoon, but was only partially successful; the ground is still pretty muddy . It was nice to get out even though I was blowing my nose to a fare-thee-well. I'm going to go to bed early and dose myself up with Nyquil -that stuff puts me out like a light.

Hi Deanne ! I was thinking of you today when I was outside ;my bird activity was high-mostly gold finches. I sure enjoy watching them.

Chelone, your suit-up doesn't sound much different than mine on winter mornings, but I expect the R-factor of your ensemble is a tad higher than mine. And of course there are no Yaktrax involved. I have 2 polar fleece bucket hats from Lands End that get lots of wear over the winter- I always feel better with my head covered.

Michelle, your Aloe is awesome..do you know what variety it is ? I lost a couple small ones to the freezes this winter . I his my new spiral aloe under a table-it handles the frost okay but the constant rain not so much.

All for me, waves to all.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    13 years ago

Michelle, what a pretty vignette. There is no substitute for flowers in the midst of deepest, darkest winter, is there? How much snow do you have on the ground now. We're still in the 1 1/2-2' range, though it's hard to be accurate with drifts and the like.

More inclemency today with warming temperatures turning it to rain. And the dreaded refreeze tonight. We could wind up with a skating rink instead of a driveway.

To the helpmeet's chagrin I mentioned (again) the unfinished covers for the staircase surround in the Salon and the need for plugs to cover the countersunk bolts on the former as well as 3 of the work tables. As if that wasn't enough I repeated my request for 3 window boxes and brackets to go under them. These items have remained unaddressed for the best part of 3 yrs. now and I want to check them off the "Julie Job" list. I can't apply the finish to anything without the cut pieces.

It will be cold in Dirtyland today. No sun.

• chelone
    13 years ago

It was indeed a cold day in Dirtyland. But I'm home now and have been fortified with a vegetarian burrito and am prepared to continue working on my cushion project.

The driveway is a disaster waiting to happen. The snow left behind by the snowblower has melted and been saturated with rain. And it will freeze solid tonight. The result will be a solid and rough surface that will also be also slippery. It will melt away but in the interim it will be a drag. Lesigh.

I forgot to return my library book by the due date and am in arrears. I didn't finish it, either. Two time loser.

Geranium buds continue to fatten but deprived of sunshine they have yet to open. Cuttings look stout and vigorous, though.

That's all.

• gardeningmary
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I can't tell you what a delight it is to pop in after one of my absences and see everyones friendly posts and conversation. It reassures me that things are right in the world and makes me determined to carve out a sliver of time to participate.

We just returned to work/school after a week's break during which I installed a glass mosaic tile backsplash in the kitchen. It was fun to do and I'm loving the results. As usual, it was way more work/ time consuming than I could ever have imagined before I started. In writing this, I'm struck by the thought that I'll be able to show some of you in person this summer - I can't begin to tell you how excited that makes me. DH was gone while I did the work and I was a little worried he might not like the colors (brown, taupe and sandstone). He had assured me he would love it even if he didn't like it, and in actual fact was genuinely taken with the overall effect.

The week off was also the beginning of my seed starting season, with sweet peas soaked and awaiting germination, and leeks, eggplants and pepper seeds in pots. Every morning I eagerly peek under their covers to see if there are any specks of green. Time to haul out the shop lights.

I've been hunkering down at night with a couple of good books, having just finished the biography of Isabel Allende, "The Sum of our Days" which was fabulous, and Barbara Kingsolver's latest book "The Lacuna" which is also a great read. Inbetween I'm rereading my favorite gardening books (mainly Margery Fish) and dreaming of spring.

Little pug Zu-Zu continues to delight us. Today she was spayed and the poor thing is tired and groggy and just wants to be held. Annie and David are as busy as ever with school, music, activities and friends. Annie flew out to CA on her own to stay with SIL and is on her way home as I write. She was delayed 3 days due to the weekends storms, fortunately finding out in advance that she would not make it home and re-ticketing for today rather than being stranded at an airport which happend to DH. I will be relieved when she is back in the fold and will sleep again. When do mothers stop worrying?

Chickens are still laying well and amusing us and I am looking forward to using their manure on the gardens this spring. It takes a while to compost down so this will be the first time I reap the rewards of their by-products. Their eggs are as delicious as ever and a bowl of blue and brown eggs on the counter never fails to please me.

A big wave to one and all,

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Chelone, we don't have much snow but because of the freezing rain last weekend there is an icy covering to it.

Mary, I hate to tell you but a mother never quits worrying and then the g'kids come along and there are more to worry over. I'd love to see your backsplash. We debated over adding one a couple of years ago, but to date I've been too chicken.

Kathy, the aloe is unnamed. It started out as a tiny one. Its been fun to watch the flower stalk mature.

Over the weekend I found a new magazine called Flea Market Gardens that I've been enjoying. It's right up my alley - incorporating junk into the garden.

I suppose I should warm up the left over spaghetti that will be tonight's dinner. I think I'll add a veggie and call it good. I tried a couple of new things last week to try to get out of my cooking rut. Crash hot potatoes were a hit along with the spinach, chicken and mushroom quesadillas. Rick has found some whole wheat tortillas that are extra high in fiber and has been eating them lately, so I decided to find a way to incorporate them into a meal.

Michelle

• chelone
    13 years ago

Go for the back splash, Michelle. Tile is fun and not hard as long as you take the time to plan the project. You can definitely pull it off. Here's how I see it: the key to doing it successfully is to follow the directions and give yourself permission to screw it up royally! Odds are, you won't... but if you have "permission" it's not so bad IF you do! :)

No kids necessary to be a worry-wort. Ask me how I know. I am the designated worrier here on the Compound. Makes the helpmeet's life a good deal easier, methinks.

Minimizing mealtime waste had become a focus here, too. Fuel and food prices continue to increase and require more ingenuity, right?

Time to shut down the reactor here in the Salon and head on in to bed. Nighty-night.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lol Chelone, 'designated worrier'-my DH was that here, and after he passed away I think he channeled some of it my way. I really try to be reasonable, but sometimes it's just futile. I guess we need to embrace our inner worriers, right ? And it feels great when all is well.

I have a lot of music here in my house Mary, mostly singing though, last night when I was on the couch reading I had a serenade of 'One Song-Glory' from 'Rent' (several times mind you ) and when I woke up for my 3am flash , I was treated to 'My Boy Bill' aka Billy Bigelows' 'Soliloquy' from 'Carousel' .. and does anyone else have a 3am flash ? Every night like clockwork, between 2:30 and 3:30 am . Throw off the covers, 5 minutes, suddenly it's freezing, cover back up. How sweet the comment from your DH ! I bet your triumph of home improvement success back in the powder room reno days gave him a whole new perspective.

All for me tonight -waves !

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Slushy and mushy here. Sun tomorrow they say. The snowperson is no more. :(

I was thinking of Mary on Sunday evening when DS emailed DH from Batavia NY saying that this was in fact the last trip for his vehicle. The car was VERY hot and had no gears left and he was driving between 30-50 mph homewards. Oh great says I!!! Yes, I am the designated worrier of the household. I imagine the car catching fire (gas leaks etc...of course) and honestly!, I was glad he came but why not take the bus or train or even splurge on a plane ticket???? All that is against his religion. So kids at age (almost) 40, and Mom still worries big time. Today at 4pm he emailed DH once more to say that he had arrived at the wreckers and was being paid $250 for his car's remains. Good grief! I am happy he is home and back at work. This post is worthy of Ei in the !!!!! department.

Tomorrow we take The Gang to the airport. Things will be extremely quiet around here in days to come.

Mary reminds me that I want to plant vegetable seeds soon. There is knitting to complete before garden weather begins too. I need to organize slides of Nigeria for our next book club meeting to discuss Half of a Yellow Sun.

I NEVER want to look at food again after all the company.. Phoebe thought it was great to sit near Ivy and is reluctant to eat her kibble. Won't take long to convince her once the little devil leaves.

Michelle, I love the dragonfly lampshade!

Cindy, glad to get your canine update (as well as granddaughter's of course!)

Oh! Today Skyler reported that he got to hold a baby alligator in Florida.

Later 'gators!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

More days passed than I planned -- fridays and mondays seem interchangeable and good reasons why the awfice has its name.... aargh.... then I whipped up to PA to pay a long overdue visit to the pater who seems to be doing fairly well - altho he'd be better if he were in a smaller one story but we know that story all too well here, right?

Poor Stella still gets car sick -- man o man....so it wasnt a wonderful weekend for her altho she got to meet two new furry cousins -- Sam the faux Chihauhua and Lily the English Wild Bulldog...sorry no pics as I was busy ensuring Stella survived the meet-up, LOL.

I havent taken any photos since Xmas but will try to amend that lack and get some of Stella; I get periodic little daily iphone camera shots of Isla with her first cereal face or pursuing a new toy - it's amazing how technology can bring as all close -- and it brings a great smile on my face on bad bad awful no good woik daze.

Saucy - congrats on the job -- I bet you get to see lots of interesting sites and boy, you'll get a great workout walking about (and no work on rainy days - perfect!).

Sounds like lot of nesting going on around here. I too have the urge and need to do a lot of reno/refurbishing around here -- desperately need to get a ceiling leak fixed, roof inspected, exterior painted, new fence and more urgently a tree trimmer to fix or repair the poor crepe myrtle that hangs on the patio broken into pieces from the heavy snow/ice we had again this year -- not sure what its outcome will be.

I've got some cute little half Bogs in blck print I really like, Julie; altho I confess I still prefer my garden muck shoes.

Kathy, sounds like some great reno you've got in mind too.

I'm afraid the car may be on the replace list too this year - I keep getting an engine lite coming on on long road trips and have poured numerous amounts of moola into it in the last year.... le sigh - always something right? More things on the list than the moola -- the way of reality.

Not sure Chelone the weather has really broken -- it's terribly windy and chilly - lots of extreme temps -- I was however shocked to see a few hellebores blooming under a bush this a.m. on my way out the door -- didnt have time to stop and admire it but now I need to take a walk in the daylite to check it out.

Soooo, spring must be on its way somehow....

Norma - love the tales of the bonfires.

Okay - all for me folks tonite - it took me half hour to get this dang laptop rebooted and a screen that didnt show target or netflix ads, even tho I had a blocker up -- very frustrating. Add laptop to that Buy List! Better buy a lottery ticket too!

--cindy

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Wish me luck tommorrow. I have a job interview with a large garden center. Skip found a job, he will be on the road nonstop for quite awhile. He will keep looking and in the meantime are thankful for this one.

Bug, I am so glad you have been able to visit with your family, and that your son arrived home safely.

Michelle, I picked up that same magazine, and it has some very cool ideas in it. I was inspired by the mosaic in there, and Skip and I took a drive to a stained glass store and we picked up some glass scraps with the plan of making a design for the greenhouse on the peak in front and inside I have some opaque that I am going to try to do a mosaic on the wall.

Mary, I would love to see your backsplash, I am sure you did a great job. The mosaic I am planning is going to be pretty free form I think. I am using scrap glass and other ceramic pieces I have around the house.

Kathy, I didn't wake up too often in the night, but every morning like clockwork at 9:30 was my moment. Could have set a clock by it. Done now. BTW, could you possibly remember the name of that bright red succulent you picked up last year at IU? I wrote it down somewhere, but can't find my note.

Sean had a friend visiting from Texas last weekend. She loves everything cupcake, so he asked me to paint her a picture. Thought you might like to see it. I changed the background so many times, I made it into a collage by putting some fabric on it. And I found a quote I liked "You can't look at a cupcake without smiling".

{{gwi:151509}}

Hope you all have a good evening!

D.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Drema, link below, is this the one ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Crassula Campfire from Annies

• yeonasky
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on DD and my necklaces, everyone. I think my DD's beautiful, and smart, too. I'm the quintesential proud mama.

Was anyone able to see my Picassa page. Boy am I slow at the technical stuff.

Marie nice that you could enjoy the family and food. It's always nice to get the house back after the crowd leaves, too. Of course family is never a crowd, right. :)

I've owned too many clunkers to drive in them long distance, as your son did. I'm glad he didn't get stranded and got some money. That makes it a happy ending kind of story.

Lol Ivy feeding Phoebe. No one really feeds Leah, she gets sick from human food.

Holding that gator baby must have thrilled Skyler. I hope there's pictures.

Cindy, Glad you're not lost anymore. :) Good to hear that Isla is doing well. Lucky Stella, getting to meet wildy and fauxy, ;) her cousins.

Thanks for the kind words re my posts from yesteryear, and about my necklaces. I live in constant fear of saying the wrong thing. Then my err, unusual sense of humour kicks in and sometimes, well lots of times, I have to erase what I say. I of course obviously fear being a thread killer, so you can't be that, as well. :)

Hope Norma's snow is on its way out and spring is springing there, and everywhere. It's been cold with a couple of days of snow. I want spring, soon.

Kathy, yup money, or not having it, and having expensive tastes for tempting luscious plants, is the epitome of a Drag.

Saucy, I'm so happy that you got the job. I hope you get good co workers and that you have enough time and energy to visit here.

Lol Chelone love the hot dog holder, and fire stove story. I do actually enjoy hearing "meaty details" like how the stove burns up the smoke, I'm not just saying that.

Drema, good luck on your job interview! I'm glad for both you and Skip, re his job. I've been thinking of you and hoping that things worked out.

Love the cupcake. DD had cupcakes for her wedding. She almost didn't though, as the baker forgot about us until we phoned her! and dropped half of them when we finally came. Yours looks better than hers too.

Julie, so far doing Juliejobs cleaned one of my biggest hot spots, so thanks. :0)

I'm always substituting everything in recipes, but they don't always work, like the apples as a sweetener in the pumpkin pie. That was a flop. Dates worked though and no one could even tell the difference. :) I can eat pies and cookies with no blood sugar problems. I a happy sweets eater, for the first time in 30 years!

Deanne, lovely seeing you here. I enjoyed the Flower show. I love sedums and have been looking at building a living sedum wreath but like the idea of a sedum fence as well.

Yup I'm with Chelone, whenever I see birds feeding especially, I think of you. Actually I have many pleasant Idyll time memories, of your planters and your art, as well. It's a big reason I braved the big bad and came back. That and all the lovely people here, even if they're fewer in numbers, and frequency of visits, than before.

Michelle, pretty aloe. I've never been able to get my aloes to bloom. I'll have to try again. I did a necklace in that yellow, with white, and really enjoy how it worked out.

Mary hope to see pictures of that backsplash too. I take it that it went more smoothly than Julie's stenciling, ;) Glad Zu-Zu is keeping the family happy. I know that a pug or a puddle or some variation is in my future, as DD loves pugs. I hope she's recovering well from her operation.

Glad that Annie being delayed didn't cause her great problems. Alena called me today to say she's got a cold, and the mom in me wanted to scoop my married 27 year old up and carry her home and feed her soup. It's hopeless, once a worrying mom, always a worrying mom. I'm looking forward to being a grandparent, but not looking forward to double the worry.

Woody loved the pictured food. Wish I could have some, now. For some reason, I have a huge appetitite tonight. I don't know why. Maybe not enought protein.

I hope you don't mind if I share a little bit of a children's story I just finished writing. It's a story about fairies, who find things for children.

Fairy Goode, Master Finder. Finder Fairies Inc.

Goode immediately forgot about firing Flibberty and settled into to her seat again, after signalling Flibb to read the note. She didn't even notice her skirts and shirts dancing in happily behind Flibb. When the hats came in all proud and happy, and presented their bounty of fruits and veggies to her, she absently waved them to her kitchen counter. After the fruit and veggies were deposited on the counter, she then pointed to her closet and waved her fingers which had her clothes and hats instantly cleaned and hanging on their hooks. All this was done absentmindedly as she listened to the request that Flibb read.

I have some more writing to do, so I'm off.

Waving night, night, in fine Idyller fashion,

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: pug mixes

• chelone
    13 years ago

Our driveway is a rutted, frozen disaster although the helpmeet's hard work has uncovered the area immediately in front of the bahn doors and March's strong sun is nibbling away at the ice steadily. I will not be sorry to see the end of the Yaktrax and the requisite changes of shoes whenever I move between buildings! But, the inconvenience pales to that of a fractured limb.

Drema, excellent news on Skip's job! must be a huge relief even if it isn't the position he ultimately wants. And I will send my good thoughts to the cosmos for you and your interview at the garden centre. Your painting made me smile... I could send you enough cloth scraps to keep you in fabric collages until the end of your days, lol. Anybody want some??

I thought of 'bug yesterday wondering if the blues have set in after the departure of Ivy, Leo, and the rest of the famdamily. The adventure with the automobile cracked me up, too. I have deep admiration for someone who is fearless enough to undertake a longish trip in wheels that could only be described as, "unreliable". Talk about "refusing to live in fear", lol. Kudos. I smiled at the image of Phoebe following Ivy around. We had a similar experience here when a friend visited with ther toddler daughter... it too the mongrel horde about 2 nanoseconds to realize that even if there wasn't any food there was still stickiness to be cleaned off fingers and faces. :)

Yeona, you are still leagues ahead of me when it comes to technology (which perhaps isn't saying much). Every step of that voyage is painful for me and nothing about it is easy or "intuitive".

Dirtyland may not be cold if the sun remains shining, but with the wind my goose will be cooked if it becomes overcast. I am so tired of that stupid, cheap scene. But until technology is tamed it remains prudent to continue "shutting up and putting up". You know?

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Much appreciated. One good thing about being older is that I have realized things work out one way or another and as long as I keep trying my best, there is nothing more I can do and I have to leave it to a higher power, who sees the whole picture.

I have been trying to figure out what to wear to the interview. I have two "interview" suits that are very professional. A friend said business casual, but that is the hardest look to achieve, in my opinion. The plaid Pendelton skirt I got at the thrift shop didn't work for the other interview, so I am definitely not wearing that :).

Kathy- that was the very one! Thank you so much for posting. So nice to have friends who are on top of it in the plant world.

Yeona, I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the pic of your daughter. She is a beautiful bride, and it looks like they had a lovely wedding. I used to worry about what I posted, but I finally figured out that if I kept second guessing myself, nothing would get up here.

Chelone, you are heading in the right direction, and kudos to you for having the patience to be prudent.

Well, I am going to go clean the kitchen, wash my car, and prepare my possible questions and answers for the interview.

Hope you have a good day!

D.

• saucydog
    13 years ago

My "business casual" outfit is a cordouroy blazer and a very dark pair of jeans. I hope you like the job, and then I hope you get it! I think garden center jobs are fun because you can talk to people about plants and share your experiences. You'll probably get an employee discount, too ;)

Sarah's been sick for 4 days with the flu. Not fun. She's off to school today because she couldn't stand to stay home one more day, but she's weak. Her dad had it last week. I hope I don't get the flu.

I had to cancel the Master Gardener classes I had signed up for to take this new job, but I can always sign up again when the time arises.

I'm beginning to dream about Idyllunion and all the other things I want to do this summer. A quick check of the plants in the basement revealed (what I think is) a dead musa. I've been trying to figure out what will big my big anchor plant (and I have been considering vines for a big wow!).

I'm going to get to work. I'm doing a little side job, still, and I have to disinfect the house for potential visitors, and then I've got this big filing cabinet project going...what was I thinking?

Fingers crossed for Drema

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Wiped out here from all the company....and amazed by the energy of Drema and Saucy...before job interviews no less.

Much cleaning up needed here, but not much will get done today. Maybe tomorrow. It will all be there still, waiting for me! So far I've put away the baby swing and potty seat, a sleeping bag that a guest used, a bag of knitting DD hopes I will finish for her, and done a load of dishes. I only found one forgotten item so far.

Tonight I think I'll head out to knitting class. It is a pleasant sunny minus 3C (27F) which is balmy stuff when compared to yesterday's -47C (-53F!) in Edmonton which is the family's destination.

Phoebe is adjusting to calm and quiet once again and enjoyed her morning kibble without extra toppings from Ivy.

I'll post some scenes from my past week on another thread.

Cheers,
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

Brr! cold this morning and to remain so for the next day/so. Oh well, bundle up and keep moving forward to warmer temperatures, eh?

Not very much to report from my wintery location. But I am checking in to say how much I hope the interviewers have decided Drema is all they've hoped for and she starts next week for far too much money. I'm also interested in her "business casual" attire. :)

Today my mission includes: a trip to the computer guy to work out the details of an external hard drive to back up files and some questions on printers and how to hook up the very nice speakers in the Salon to the computer so I may stream radio stations "from away". Can't wait... not! Then on to the copy center and the post office and lastly to the library to pay my fine. :( How's that for exciting?

And now it's time to do some piddly work before heading off to Dirtyland.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Here it is cold still,(-11C or 12F) but tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be quite warm (39F and 46F) and rainy they say. The signs of winter's decline are everywhere with it being light still at dinnertime and with snow buntings in flocks along the roadsides. Under the main road bridge there are ice dams and this means that one day in the future there will be flooding. By then perhaps bulbs will be popping through the ground in places?

Chelone, I love trips to the copy center because that usually means an exciting project! Things like the books I make for Skyler that need to be bound. We have a printer at home and do most things from home. (recipes, meeting announcements for the neighbors, handouts for our organization, travel itineraries...) Having a home printer is great! The photos come out well. The only problem is the expense of the cartridges and the frequency of changing them. In the past I made the brochures for the gardenclub's winter event. They were beautiful (I'm bragging) with fancy paper and artwork!

While Sarah was here we made trips to the fabric stores because she was looking for some pieces for a quilt for Skyler's new bedroom. He is delighted (I praise her power of swaying him!) with the new downstairs suite even though it is smaller than his previous room. She bought several lovely designs in interesting shades of blue with some brown too. I of course came home with fabrics for little girls....

Last night I went to knitting class. I think there will be one more next week and then she too heads into gardening mode. I began a hat to go with Ivy's new green knit jacket. Other people are working on scarves, hats and socks.

My sister in France is dealing with the decline of her partner and it is very difficult for them both. She is in her 70s, he in his 90s. She has been hospitalized with bronchitis, he is aging, in diapers and filled with anger at his fate. He is used to being in control. (He was mayor for years and years) As my friend says, "the wheel is still turning but the hamster is dead"...which would be funnier if it weren't so true.

DH has another long day at work today and a busy weekend in sight as well.

I hope to hear good news from Drema soon!

Saucy, are you still doing motorcycle jobs?

The sun is rising above the tall old cedars now...very pretty!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

That's such exciting news to hear of Skip's good fortune - and I will continue to hope something even better or more to what he'd really likes comes along soon. Crossing my fingers on the interviews for you, Drema -- I bet you'd learn a lot and they'd learn a lot from you too!

Chelone - every time I scroll quickly thru this thread I see those dawgs -- yum - one of my favorite things -- and I like them simple and ungarnished. Gosh cant recall the last time I had one.

'bug - you had a lot of visitors but I know you loved each minute -- I dont sew any more but I do find myself looking at the most magnificent little girls clothes and spending money many times over in my head.

It was so chilly and windy here this morning after a pleasant day yesterday, that I had to drag out the pink marshmallow suit again -- it's a horrible down full length coat - ugly as sin but warm -- the long commutes have taught me I dont care how I look but I'm warm -- and I didn't get lost in the blizzard over the winter or in a snow drift, LOL, during our "Carmaddegon" Snow... March has definitely roared in.

Deanne - LOVE those garden show shots - and your bird photos - wowser on FB -- like following invisibly behind the birds and seeing thru their eyes. Amazing.

I hope Kathy is feeling better as is Saucy's family -- Kathy, can't agree with you re going to work sick -- you surely give folks papers or touch a door knob or two in your wandering around the awfice? I'm sure I've picked up at least 2 of my "fun" germs this past winter from a boss who was suffering from a horrible flu/cold but came to work and gave me papers to handle.... I'm such a germaphobe anymore, but one becomes that way when you realize how easy you get 'em and can give 'em!

Starting to think about plant or tree lists - just a "few" purchases this year as some major re-shuffling is needed. I'd like a cornus alternafolia argentea or the cultivar Golden Shadows I think to replace the Cercis Lavender Twist I've got in a corner -- I really am not feeling "the love" for the redbud -- its leader broke and after it blooms, it's just ugly green leaves.... hmmmm.... decisions, decisions.

Hope everyone is enjoying a spring thaw somehow.

-cindy

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Yeona I read your fairy story and can tell you have some real talent! I could see the scene in my mind. You definitely have the gift of words. Share more when you feel comfortable :)

A number of you expressed interest in the interview, so thought I would give an update. I wore a black mock turtleneck, black slacks. I bought a black and brown nubby tweed jacket on clearance at Macy's. It has some cute big buttons and a little detail in the back, but not fancy. I thought it struck a good note. I can't tell if they liked me or not. I am not a good interviewee. That is why it is important to network. I was talking to a friend from high school about it, and she doesn't work outside the home. She said" I have no idea what to wear to an interview, the last time I had a job was when we were 18 and worked at the pickle works (an olive factory in our small hometown, since closed). We just walked in, filled out the application and they told us to start the next day," LOL. Anyway, they said that they would have me come back next week for a second interview with a couple of dept managers. Either way, the lady at the school board said that my fingerprints should be back in 2 weeks.

On a garden note, tonight I picked up some succulents at Home Depot. I actually found some aeoniums for $2.98, and a cute little aloe, same price. A little plant purchase always puts things in perspective :). Sean got me the Debra Baldwin book on succulent planting. It came in the mail today, LOVE IT!!

Hope all is well with you, my virtual friends. Thanks for the well wishes.

D.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thinking of IU tonight, and all the possibilities ! It's hard to imagine it being summer at the moment though..we continue to have squalls, fog , frost etc, yet the spring bulbs are out in force and oblivious to the highs and lows of the weather.

Interviews..I have not had to go on a job interview for 25 years. I think I am probably a good-interview-ee..back in those days I was almost always offered what ever job I interviewed for , and sometimes had the luxury of choosing. I wonder how I would do now ? Drema, plant knowledgeable people are very hard to find in the retail garden center industry in our area. Even with the job market as it is, the manager of the garden center at my company has been really challenged in seeking out individuals who can connect with customers and also have some sort of rudimentary plant skills.
    Cindy , you're right about 'mutual paper touching' etc., and I have a mental barrier too; I called in sick when DS was 1-1/2 and had pneumonia (1987) , called in sick in 1999 when I twisted a ligament breaking up a cat fight (don't ask) and those are my 2 sick days since 1986. I'm not exaggerating. So , it's kind of like Cal Ripken ..you just can't bring yourself to miss a day with this kind of record. Most of the people in my dept are the same way, so we at least force each other to work only 7 or 8 hours instead of 9 or 10 when we are ailing. I think if I were a 'flu' person I'd have to reconsider my stand , people do get laid low by that malady. I don't get the flu so it's moot for me.

Chelone, my DS talked me into an external hard drive few years ago, and that was the best thing I ever did for this computer. I have over 10,000 photo files , and having that thing has been a god-send.

Yeona, I will look at your story tonight, as always I admire your discipline!

Need to clean up the kitchen , so waves and sweet dreams !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

It was a lovely day with sunshine, little wind and temps in the 50 degrees area.

I'm working on repairing the walls in the upstairs room. I'm nearly done with that step. The paint color is something that I can't quite put my finger on yet.

Drema, good luck on the interviews. I think your outfit sounds perfect. Having done some interviewing, I'm shocked at the apparel that people wear for an interview for an office job. Of course this comes from the woman who made her son wear khakis and a nice shirt to apply at a fast food joint. We have a job opening once again, so the interview process will begin again once we get some decent resumes.

Yeona, how fun that you are writing a fairy story. Kenzie loves the idea of fairies.

Which reminds me I'm not sure if I told you all this or not, but she sees brussel sprouts as lettuce that is grown by fairies. Of course that was enough for her to take a liking to it. I am enjoying introducing her to new veggies. This weekend it will be butternut squash. I think I'll make some crash hot potatoes at some point too.

My dad had knee replacement on Tuesday. We went for the surgery. I went after work yesterday as well. He will be dismissed tomorrow.

Saucy, congratulations on the job and how great that you are pleased with the pay.

'bug, you will have to fill us in on the happenings of the visit.

So Cindy likes Muck shoes for the garden. Any other opinions? I'm in the market for new garden shoes this year. Cindy do you have the clog style or the ones with backs?

Michelle

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I am always in need of garden shoes. I garden with my neighbor and she goes barefoot, and I wear last year's athletic shoes. I look at clogs, but it seems to me that they wouldn't stay on. I hope whatever you get, Michelle, you give a proper review here ;)

Knock on wood, Kathy, I'm not a flu person, either. I tend to think that keeping the immune system healthy is just about all we can do in our defense of colds. Eat healthy, exercise, and cross your fingers! That's quite an impressive record you've got there.

Drema, I think a second interview is a good sign. They could've just said they'd call you. Good thoughts coming your way.

Cindy, I always like hearing your choices for small trees and shrubs. Redbuds are a tough tree to love unless they're that exceptional rare tree. I see one near here that shines in early spring, but otherwise, I think people eventually give up. Of course Sue's are gorgeous (I think there are two in the front garden).

Yeona, I enjoyed the pug mixes link. Some of those dogs look like their head was photo shopped onto another body! I think I would laugh all the time if I had such a comical dog. Zeus makes me wince more often than laugh. He's getting up there in age and it is close to time to make some tough decisions. He is the pet that my children will always remember. I even found a letter I had written to Jake at summer camp explaining how well the (new) Zeus was doing. He came to us in May of 2003 at the age of 5 - I think that makes him 13 now.

I'm going to go get the kids up and ready for school. Have a good day, friends!

Saucy

• chelone
    13 years ago

I've managed to put several piddly morning chores behind me and the stove is up to efficient operating temperature so the Salon will be cozy for the remainder of the day. And, the boiler will be off and heating oil conserved!

I, too, laud the exploration of creative writing, Yeona. Always a good thing to tap into one's imagination regularly and compose one's ideas. I'll have to check out the Pug mixes... I've never really gone for animals that have been overbred to attain a "look", esp. one that tends to compromise important things like eyes, teeth, and respiration; I love cats but have the same feeling about the "modern" Persians.

I am surprised that no one mentioned the necessity of frequent handwashing and keeping your hands away from your eyes, nose, mouth... the facial area in general, in the sickness avoidance hints. We have a running joke around the Compound that our level of untidiness (call it sanitation, if you will) is what keeps our immune systems functioning at peak level. ;) We get the occasional cold, but for the most part seem to steam through the season relatively unscathed. It's hard to justify staying home when you have a cold, no paid sick days and the usual financial obligations. Lol, about Cal Ripkin, Kathy. :)

I have muck shoes and rather like them, but find them to be quite hot. If I have a long day in the garden I'll usually change my socks at least once. I've looked at those clogs, too, but have never tried them... had the same notion about them that you did, Saucy.

OK, so Drema, what are you going to wear to your second interview?? (the first choice sounds just perfect). I, too, think being called back is a good sign. Something tells me you that you pack a lot more knowledge of all things horticultural than a lot of people; don't sell yourself short, girlfriend.

I've toyed with the idea of a Redbud, too, but have never pulled the trigger on it. Still too much tree work to do in that area. I recall how breathtaking a grove of them can be from my days in ol' Virginny, and I rather like the heart shaped leaves, but like the restayas always wonder if maybe there aren't better choices, offering more interest throughout the year. d

Ageing pets... always a worry. But, every summer has its autumn, and every autumn its winter. :( I tend to be more proactive on that call than the helpmeet, preferring to say the final good bye before it's crisis time. Mercifully, he's come around to that opinion, too. Lesigh.

Cindy, I love hot dogs, too. Doesn't matter if they're steamed in steamed rolls (gas stations are good for those!) or grilled with a grilled roll. Nice and simple... just some spicy mustard for me; I'm good for at least 2!

Do those of you who use an external hard drive use multiple storage thingys (I'm gettin' technical here) for different things you want to save or do you just shove it all onto one? e.g. banking stuff and picture files on one or one for each of those functions?

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

For some reason I was wide awake at 5:15 this morning.

Saucy, I've had Ladybugs before. They are a rather cheap garden clog and actually really like them. I've also worn athletic shoes but I like clogs since you can remove them so easily when you go inside.

Check out the FG picture of the day. A beautiful cedar wax wing from Deanne.

Off to the pool.

Michelle

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Happy Friday - altho I suspect it may turn into an awful friday like the last one -- got to cover 10 attys today - it's gonna be so much fun; I've been working on trying not to think about it and just see what happens, but I'm a planner so that's hard not to "plan"....

Michelle I like my the muck shoes full backs - I dont like clogs or backless work shoes -- i dont like the flipflop of 'em and it makes me wonder about the dirt getting in and oozing around one's feet, lol. I do try to wear socks w/ them (but I personally hate socks so sometimes...) - I find the muck shoes less hot than the Bogs (that seem to be all plastic and no breatheable stuff going on) - Chelone, I find the pull out soles in the Muck shoes are great for drying 'em out quickly. well, that's my take on the little assortment I've had.

Job interviews -- eeek - too many over the years to count -- in my part of the world the "30 second decision" is quite comment -- the interviewer can mentally make up their mind about you in the first 30 seconds. I am old fashioned enough to think one's resume should be proper and correct (no stupid spelling/grammar mistakes), and good dress sense definitely. Learn something about the company/org you've interviewing for and ask a couple of questions that show you've researched them - it shows an interest on your part about the job and the company - that is usually a big hit. Do ask some intelligent questions, even if they're simple ones....

Gee, Drema, I have hard time believing you dont interview well - you're so sociable and friendly! Good luck on it all - you may well have 2 offers at the same time and can take your pick! I'd love to see that happen to you.

Kathy that is definitely an impressive attendance record -- it may well be that a lot of the contamination stuff is due to the high concentrations of people I have to deal with - the metro is just a giant germ exhaust system - it's turned me into a creepy germophobe - I've gotten some nasty "cold"/flu germs in recent years despite taking the flu shot that make me think the folks in Japan who wear hospital masks have the right idea about public courtesy, LOL.

Ok, i'm hearing from folks here re work so gotta forget about any other comments right now....

Happy Friday all!

Cindy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Michelle, you asked! You may be sorry. I'll try to keep it short.

DS arrived first, after DH's 70th birthday event in Toronto. He had various business meetings to attend to first. Once here, he tends to work night & day, often missing meals. Once his sister arrived he tried harder to participate. He is great with kids, but doesn't see many these days. It was wonderful to watch him interact with Ivy. I think he's afraid of babies though.(Leo, your day will come soon!) Building a snowperson was fun for all. DS also went with DH and Phoebe for a walk in the icy gorge.

DD had many friends coming and going and even went out to lunch once with kids in tow. It was a tough trip for her because the kids have short sleep periods, especially in new circumstances. That meant that she had about 1-2 hours rest, then toilet duty, then nursing, then repeated that about 4 times each night. I couldn't help with that...but did take Ivy for a morning while she and a friend went to the farmer's market together.

DD and I shopped together for food and fabric and yarn. We went out to lunch once too. She usually made breakfasts. DS usually washes dishes before I've even finished a meal!

Ivy's charms are hard to describe. Let me just say that she loves to discover things! She learned the layout of the house quickly and studied the photos and paintings on the walls. She learned about magnets (uh-oh!) and binoculars (produced laughs of delight). Phoebe was frightening for about 30 seconds and then she loved running after her. Both enjoy being outside. If ever she is upset by something, going outdoors or splashing in the bath solves things right away. She is only grumpy when she has a case of "I can do it myself!" She has a sense of humor and brings great joy. Her ability to concentrate amazes me. She's 22 months old and can spend ages at a task, even without a companion. She can do puzzles that flummox Skyler because she is patient and understands about rotating pieces. Her vocabulary grows by the minute. She is very agile and has taught herself to do a forward somersault. She'll twirl until she is dizzy and even sings a bit. Loves the piano, reading, eating, hiding, finger painting, drawing, birds, hugs..everything! She found odd shaped kindling and decided it was a telephone. Her imagination is great. (She used two pieces simultaneously.) She loves Leo so much...also goes to bed well too.

{{gwi:151510}}

Two hands...
    {{gwi:151511}}

{{gwi:151512}}

I'm sure others of this age delight their Nanas too...but I find her very special indeed.

• chelone
    13 years ago

I love that first shot... look at that studied concentration. The world is definitely an exciting place and there's so much to learn every day.

• jak1
    13 years ago

Holy Cow! It's been a whole week since I posted! Where does the time go? Although this year I have found that winter has really dragged...

Interesting about BOGS shoes and boots - I had never heard of them before. The ones I wanted (and got) are the high ones with pull handles, insulated for the cold, plain black. So far I really like them. I already have good rain boots so won't be shopping for the paisly ones, Kathy! For garden shoes, I need to be able to kick them on and off easily as I tend to be in and out all day. I have worn Crocs in the past but dirt and wet does get in the holes. Also I find I go through sox like crazy when I wear them with Crocs. So I usually wear old sneakers - not last year's though, Saucy - those would be too new!! I wear really old ones, five or more years old, and take the laces out. Looks very charming, especially in a neighbourhood of fairly well-off retirees.

Our weather is still Bogs weather and our lane is, like Chelone's, a rutted icy mess right now. DH thinks green - why bother to snowblow when nature will take care of it? By June it will all be gone.....

Nice to see yellow Aloe blooms. I have one that threw out two stalks this year, similar to the yellow only orange. This stiff spikey plant has never bloomed before, very interesting. The flowers didn't last long though. I also have orchids and geraniums in bloom now, a nice bright touch of colour.

Ha, I laughed at the notion of a designated worrier. That would be me. It does free up everybody else though, as I take care of that for them. Name a subject, I can dream up a worry about it. Don't even mention kids, adult or otherwise.

Drema, Saucy, Skip - sounds good on the job front. Want me to worry for ya?

I have escaped the flu so far this year. I nearly died with an Asian flu many years ago, and have had a flu shot every year since. It was positively scary for both me and my family. I wish I could have been paid for unused sick credits when I retired. Would have been a tidy sum. I really don't get sick very often, and when I feel something heading my way, I hit the bed. I never want to be that sick again!

Ah, the story of aging pets. We have a cat of unknown years now, she came to us when TCS arrived, from the streets of the city. TCS is now nine, so the cat must be at least eleven, as she was adult when she came to us. She is having serious digestive issues now. She was seeking water everywhere, peeing in inappropriate places, vomiting and whatever. The vet did all the requisite testing and found nothing wrong. We have switched her to canned food and the water issue seems to be resolved. In order for her to keep her food, I have to feed her a little bit about four times a day. If she can't keep her food down, she cries for food because she isn't getting enough nutition. Sad really, hungry but not benefitting from large feedings, and not understanding why I don't feed her more at one time. Not ready to let her go, but she is a difficult pet right now.

Seeds are starting to sprout, and I am planting a few more each day. I recently planted Starfruit seeds from a fruit I bought for TCS. The seeds are viable for less than a week after removal from the fruit so I had to be right on top of this to ge them planted. So far no sprouts though.

TODAY'S JJob was cleaning and organizing the spice drawer after a resealable bage of powdered cinnamon exploded in the drawer because the bag didn't reseal. Pet peeve: resealable bags that don't. And of course the fine powder sifted it's way through all of the kitchen drawers in the course of the week, requiring a whole morning of clean up. Place smelled great though!! Now all are in nice little jars, labelled on the top so I can see at a glance what is where, and presentloy in alphabetical order. I expect this wonder organization to last about three days. At least I know what's in there now!

I was then motivated to make brownies from scratch, first time for that for me. Mmmm, delicious. I'll do that again.

That's all from this corner of the world. Have a great week-end all!

Cheers,

Julie

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Going to post a pic of my paisley BOGS this weekend Julie !

I agree with Chelone, the feet do get hot in Muck shoes; I wear them year round though. In summer I wear them in the morning and switch to the Crocs-knock off for the afternoon. Like Michelle, I like to get them on and off quick, because I'm in and out a lot. I try to do digging chores in the morning when I have the mucks on -you can't manipulate the shovel with Crocs. I do get way too much debris inside the Crocs though, but they are extremely comfortable otherwise. I might try some Sloggers clogs this year. I also have a pair of Muck boots .

More tomorrow..

Kathy in Napa

• jak1
    13 years ago

O.K. so who's still up? Anybody see Charlie Sheen on Dateline? Wowsie, I'd be worried if he was my kid.

DD is here for the first time in a month. When she works her 12 hour shifts she stays here over night because we are 20 mins. away from her office and she actually lives two hours away. It's been a long while it seems. A glass of wine, discussion of relationship issues, then laughs about a variety of things...it is nice when your daughter is also your friend.

Nite all.

Cheers,

Julie

• yeonasky
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments about my writing. I really am enjoying doing this series. Hopefully someone will want to buy it and won't rip me off. It's a common fear. Not being able to keep your writing in your name.

I agree pets getting old is a real concern. I just hope when the time comes for extra care for Leah that I'm in a better financial state.

Love the Nana stuff. I really think its great to see the little ones in every day stuff. So adorable. I'm sure your DD appreciates any help. She sure has her hands full.

I wear rubber clogs for muddy days, and crocs for summer days. I do wash my feet more in the summer, like every time I garden, but my feet get too hot in covered shoes.

I think it's very sad when children get into the hollywood life. It must be hard to be normal and even harder for second and third generation children. Hopefully the guy will get help.

JJob here was washing and organizing kitchen cupboards. I have one more cupboard to do. Next goal is to finish going through hall closet. I like that job least. There are lots of things I use only once in a while in there, but I do use them, so I can't get rid of most of the stuff. :( I need more storage.

My DD and I have found a variety of friendship, but she likes to remind me that I'm mom first. Still we made it through the teen years, so that counts for lots.

Some more Finder Fairies Inc.
    "I've seen some humans get help from a few moments of deep breathing." Flibb said, too loudly in the quiet room. She reddened slightly and quivered a bit in embarrassment, sloughing off some fairy dust, which magiced her long tresses to fly up and make a halo of orangish twists of curls around her head. Aryonie giggled, which brought a smile to Goode's mouth. Grinning at herself, Flibb shrugged and looked to Goode for what to do next, as her hair settled down around her face again, all except one piece at the very back. Aryonie giggled again. Goode did not smile though.

"Enough silliness! Flibberty, fix your hair!" Goode waited, shaking her head, as Flibb turned round several times, like a dog, and finally smoothed the curl in place. Aryonie stifled more giggles in her fist.

Off to sleep. I've been writing for hours and hours, so I'm fried,

Yeona

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I have not caught any of the Charlie Sheen interviews, so I guess that shades my point of view. I don't see what's wrong with Charlie being Charlie? He's an adult. He seemed to show up to work on time - enough to make lots of money to pay for this lifestyle. I don't like the idea that he was provoked by Chuck Lorre's vanity cards, either. Of course Chuck isn't as fun to spread all over the news.

The funny thing is that I make it a point not to watch the news because I don't like this kind of thing. This sort of story creeps into my life from all directions - even Idyll :) I always have to look up and figure out what people are talking about....

Today I'm going to Tower Hill to hear Margaret Roach (of A Way to Garden fame) speak. A few New England Idylls are going to meet me there for lunch and a tour of the new Lemonaia before we hear her speak. I'm excited.

I've started a new project, too - I'm transferring all those home movies to dvd. I hope this is a fun project. Sometimes technology can be so irritating with all the pieces that you have to keep returning to the store to buy.

Have a great day, all! I'll try to get some photos today as we all need a little green.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I don't know many big names since I've lived a life without TV and movies. So Charlie Sheen is nobody to me. Now Margaret Roach is a very fine SOMEBODY in my books. I loved A Way to Garden (beautiful photos!) and would enjoy being with the idyll gang to hear her.

Today is a soggy one...
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I'm being charmed by my granddaughter this weekend. She has a very loose top tooth which would be her first one out. She's a bit excited and thinks the tooth fairy will bring her $99. Not if it comes out here for sure. We spent some time hiking outside since its a warm and sunny day. She likes to look for "clues" to what I'm not sure. She was quite excited to find a secret key. The girl has quite an imagination. We had our first experience in the Arts & Crafts room. She made a get well card to bring to her Great Grampa tomorrow. She also wrapped a couple of videos for him. We found a new use for old stencils. She made a undersea picture with some fish/seashell stencils that I was going to get rid of. She just colored inside the stencil instead of paint.

I've worn the same pair of Crocs for the last 4 years. They are the ones without the holes. I usually wear low cotton socks with them which helps the hot part.

Tower Hill sounds like a wonderful place to be today - especially with some Idylls. Actually, I've already seen a picture of the gang under a huge banana over on FB.

'bug, it sounds like you had a fun week. The picture at the piano is wonderful and reminds me of one of Kenzie playing ours at that age.

Kathy, paisley garden shoes sound very fun.

I must go now, we need to paint jewelry. Her fairy book which is full of ideas had some cute jewelry made from salt dough.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Would Kenzie enjoy watching this sort of thing?

Good luck with the tooth Michelle! Perhaps Monopoly money would do? ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: sand art

• saucydog
    13 years ago

{{gwi:151513}}

I chose not to bring my camera, but Monique took this great shot of the rest of us ;)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

How very nice to see your smiling faces. Wish I could have been there too. Looks warmer than here. Thanks Monique!

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Yeah, it's Monday - on the way in as I was shivering and freezing this a.m., I was trying to recall whether it was real or a dream that I think I worked in the yard on Saturday for several hours -- it was in the uppper 50s and wonderful.. today it's 30ish and bad winds - the 2 inches of rain were icy and frozen in spots today. Guess it was a good thing I did not pull the leaves off the beds -- I basically just cut down debris from the fall and made it look less derelict -- now I can not be so embarrassed by the front.

Sunday was penance day and I spent 4 hours workon on my taxes and inputting for online filing - and figuring stuff that was missing.... a very tedious job.

Stella had a wonderful Saturday tho really working on learning garden worker jobs -- pulling plants out by the roots - thinking she was helping to take to the trash heaps, eating dirt and running thru leaves and beds and muck - she made a fine looking figure at the end of the the day -- and went to bed early from all that exercise, LOL. Yep, some education is due on proper garden etiquette. The only spoiling part was looking at the terrible mess the crepe myrtle is in - from the heavy snow/ice it has broken several main trunks and the next door renter ripped and tore branches on his side of the fence rather than pruning or cutting - he sat outside while we were cleaning up too and smoked a horrible stinky cigar that made me gag... man, I hate those things.

Michelle and 'bug - it's lovely to hear about the minds of young ones - they are so full of life and curiosity -- I sure hope that tooth doesnt come out at Grandma's house for your sake, Michelle -- wonder who gave her the $99 idea? Inflation has not yet gotten that bad I dont think, LOL.

Great photo of the NE idyll visit -- we're all envious - of all the fun and excitement you had. A great way to break up the winter doldrums.

Okay - off to start the work week.

-cindy

• chelone
    13 years ago

We went to see friends on Saturday and came home on Sunday. The road was brutal, the seasonal crop of frost heaves being clearly evident. It rained the whole way up and the entire way home, too. "Downeast" is a long GD ride, you guys, even under ideal circumstances. Wrecks was a perfect gentleman however, well behaved and perfectly content to just hang out with us. Their cat would likely present a different opinion, he vanished like a fart in the wind within moments of sighting the dog. :) I felt terribly bad about that, but know that that's the way of felines when their territory is "invaded". Ours do the very same thing.

The steady rain ushered in a tremendous amount of snow melt. The driveway is nearly clear, save the most sun starved section, the snow blown path has green showing along the entire route, the snowpack is decreased by at least 6". Everything has that tired, dirty look to it and the snow is decidedly granular... "coHn snow". I forgot to put on my Black Diamond head lamp this morning when I took the dog outside. I knew the path, right? WRONG. I failed to see the huge puddle but instantly realized my error as the water closed over my ankles, soaking my socks, Muck shoes, and the lower 6" of my dungarees. Lol. And I was so proud of myself for transferring my cleats to the Muck shoes... ;)

I have a rather large cushion layout on the table right now. The Salon smells like vinyl... that weird plastic-y smell. I have the welting cut and joined and need to get the tops cut from the vinyl and the bottoms cut from the supplied mesh. There are 10 of them.

I bet Tower Hill was a blast and I'm sorry I was otherwise engaged. It would have been great to see you guys.

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Sounds like a big job you have going Chelone. We were on the road in heavy rain this weekend too. Not fun.

I just finished eating blackberry cobbler that was probably the best I have ever made. I think maybe because I stubbed my toe on the cinnamon. I hope my neighbor has a big crop again this year. He always offers me first pick after they get all they want and they are such nice berries. I didn't make jelly this year as I had some left. I just froze them, but I will need to make more jelly this year too.

Michelle did Kenzie lose her tooth yet? Funny she thinks $99 is a good price. Nice to hear she enjoys the craft room too. Wyatt has some major gaps in his teeth since a couple of the new teeth never came down. The dentist says to give them another year. It's already been a long time since he lost the others.

Cindy I really need to be getting tax stuff ready too. I imagine Stella needs a good brushing or a bath after a day in the garden. The really warm days here spoiled me. I even worked in short sleeves one day. Now we are cold again.
    They are supposed to start on our pole barn tomorrow and we are supossed to get storms tomorrow night so I don't know if they will get much done.

The crocus really popped on those warm days and I saw a couple of johnny jump ups as well as an Iris reticula sp? The daffodil buds are swelling too. The pee frogs (thats what I call them anyway) were hollering a coulpe of nights as well.

Yeona, I wanted to say what a pretty lady your daughter is too.

Boy that is a huge Banana the Idylls are under. Glad you all had a fun day.

I would like to read A Way To Garden also. I did view some of her blog.

I'm off to do some research. Take care everyone.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Monday greeting Idylls, hope your weather is tolerable wherever you may be ! Cold and windy here today, with a rainstorm coming in. My Dahlia order from Swan Island has arrived, but will not be planted til April when the soil (hopefully) warms up a bit. I'm pondering what I will plant in with them , as I am not fixing to create a Dahlia ghetto, but merely a gaudy display . There are a few existing 'May Night' Salvias , but not much else.

Norma, I'm interested in your 'Pole Barn' ..I may need to do some research tonight as I am not in the know as to what exactly a Pole Barn is. I pat myself on the back for getting my tax stuff ready this past weekend, and I have my appt with my tax lady this week. I have nothing complicated this year thank goodness, but I'm afraid the days of getting money back may be over for me.

Chelone, there is nothing I despise more than wet socks, wet pants or wet sleeve cuffs. I use my Muck boots that go up maybe 12 inches when I have to go out in high wet grasses or weeds. I've been known to change my shirt if cuffs get wet when going the dishes.

Cindy, so sorry to hear about the state of your Crepe Myrtle, but glad you were able to get some clean-up done. Mine seems to be taking forever trying to fit it in between rainstorms!

All for me tonight !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Kathy a pole barn is just a building constructed around poles sunk into the ground rather than being built on a foundation.
    I dislike wet sleeves while doing dishes too.

Julie, We having an aging cat too. She is 17 years old. I tell her she is senile and that she just ate. She comes to the kitchen every time she hears the fridge or microwave door open. She does better with canned food too.
    I am not even started on garden cleanup. To many other things going on. I may have to hire grandson Jake to help me out a couple of days. He could cut back the grasses rake the leaves and acorns and such. He needs to earn some spending money and hasn't had any luck finding part time work. His school band is going to play at Disney the end of May. We are planning to go down to watch, combined with a visit to DD and family. Bad time to leave the garden but some things are more important to me.
    I've been up since 2:30 and Niki didn't wake me this time. She usually wakes me or Bob anywhere between 3 and 4. If it weren't for the cute way she does it we would probaly kill her. LOl Talk about spoiled.

N

• chelone
    13 years ago

We have accomplished the dreaded tax thing. We have a new accountant and he's right on top of it, bless his heart. We drop the stuff off early, he e-mails us if there is something missing, and when everything is ready he e-files it. Presto! I maintain that the money we pay the accountant is the best money we spend all year, right up there with our theatre tickets. :)

All shed teeth in our family were stored in a banjo clock that hung at the head of the stairs. It now resides with my brother in his home... complete with our teeth. Will this be the first tooth Kenzie has lost? (her valuation cracks me up).

The helpmeet drained the puddled area yesterday and overnight it refroze. No wet feet this morning! I was just thinking about crocuses and it's going to be a solid month before we have a prayer of seeing one, I suspect. There are, however, 3 blooms on the geraniums, thanks to the level headed restraint displayed by Mr. Busy Fingers. And just yesterday I heard him making noises about making the window boxes for the southern Salon windows... dare I hope?

I'll let you stew on that notion and get to my cushions. Later!

• jak1
    13 years ago

Been sick for three days. On the plus side: lost ten pounds. While I was lying in my bed with two pups and one cat, I reflected on my five days in the hospital at about this time last year. Read all you want. No dietary restrictions. Food arrives, was pretty good, didn't have to make it myself or do the dishes. Watch whatever on your own little t.v. Go to take a shower and someone makes your bed for you and tidies up your space. Bring you your meds with a little cup of juice and tucks you in. The last three days were almost the same except no food, no t.v., but did have the pups and cat. I do not want to spend time in the hospital unless it is really necessary when I get such kind care at home. Last year it was necessary, but this time only the flu!

Just started feeling better when DH came in looking very serious. Guess what: wet basement. Finished and carpeted basement of course. Called in the specialist; he came quickly, told DH and DS where he thought the problem was. Rip out the drywall and insulation, tear up the carpet, he will come back and fix it. Of course DH and DS didn't accept the location the the guy indicated so they tore out drywall etc. about five feet away. Nope, the leak was right where the man (the EXPERT) said it was likely to be. Waiting now for the repair. For few hours I thought IU8 was fading from my future, now not so much. We saved the carpet, we still have half a can of the wall paint, so when the repair is completed and new drywall installed and painted. it is likely that you would never know there was a problem. Expert said he'd had 18 calls in the last 24 hours due to a huge rainfall on the weekend. With the ground frozen and unable to absorb the water, it had nowhere to go but inside if there was any tiny crack or opening anywhere. Le sigh. One more project....Expecting huge snowfall today and tomorrow. Better than rain this time.

We had a flock of about 50 Redpolls this morning at the wine deck birdfeeder, and one stunningly luminescent male Cardinal. Sure sign of spring, when you see little birds you have not seen all winter.

Hopefully all of you are seeing more spring-like weather than I am *LOL* But we always get wallopped in March. The last hurrah of winter.

Cheers,

Julie

• chelone
    13 years ago

Raw and chilly here today. I was delighted to return home and find the stove cooking along courtesy of the helpmeet's presence. Nothin' like a wood stove to ward off the chill, I say. :)

Work was frustrating today. I had a good assignment, all the materials, but my machine has been cranky for months now. My twice monthly requests that it go to the mechanic have fallen on deaf ears, sadly. The poor thing is barely "in time"; this means that the needle and the hook that catches the thread loop and allows the top thread and bobbin thread to interlock are not fully in synch.. Telltale signs of trouble include: dropped stitches at pivot points, frayed top thread, esp. in reverse or when traversing multiple layers (think seams). I had to rethread about thousand times today and long about quitting time my patience was as frayed as the top thread! I thought of my own walking foot machine and all the wonderfully convenient presser feet in the drawer next to it. So near, yet so far... ;)

Here's hopin' you're on the mend, Julie. No one brought you any soup or appealing nibbles in your down period? The menfolk need their hindquarters lifted a little bit, methinks. I chuckled at the area included in the expanded "exploratory" search... if they keep pickin' the scab how do they expect the wound to heal?? :) the heavy rain is headed our way for the weekend. I'm OK with it, I have a lot to work on and it will be nice to be inside, dry, and making some money.

The window box pieces are cut! I have to set up a painting station soon and get busy on that so they may be assembled and ready for the '11 season. I'm really very excited about it and it has also got me thinking about the awnings for the bahn. I'm looking forward to that, too!

That's about it, though.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

DD has been frustrated by Skyler who wears only pants with holes in them when he comes to their house, but then leaves with the new ones she and his Dad buy. So all the new stuff is at Mom's house. Well, DD decided to hand him a needle and thread and make him sew the holes himself. (He's almost 12) He spent 45 minutes trying to thread a needle (IN VAIN) and crying...but he has only worn decent clothing since that experience.

Now his Mom wants her to support a two month "grounding" because he lost one of his hearing aids. DD says no, and I agree. "Since when does grounding teach responsibility?" Besides, his mother would never stick to anything for 2 weeks, no less 2 months. The loss of the hearing aid IS serious business and must be addressed. He has no notion how to think about such things. He assumes things simply resolve themselves. Sigh.....

So Chelone, if a kid contacts you and asks for help mending his trousers, tell him how but don't do it for him!

It is white rain here and hail as well. YUCK! But the heater on my car was repaired. Hurray!

• jak1
    13 years ago

*LOL Chelone! The menfolk were more than willing to bring me anything my little heart desired, however, my poor ole body was not accepting anything by mouth and was, ahem, expelling anything it could by any means possible. I will add that after a day of not even maintianing a teaspoon of water, DH was pressuring me to drop into Emerg. But all is well now, back to normal.

Marie, responsibility and independence are not TCS's star qualities yet either. At present we are still working on the eating thing. Or rather, not eating. It is very frustrating. We as a family have decided to work on one thing at a time with him. We've got the sleeping thing beat, the bath/shower thing done, the homework under control, behavior at school is now excellent. We have the right meds for him now too I think - no issues in that department for almost three months. But the road is long and there are a lot of uphills....

We are experiencing nasty weather now. There is a heavy snowfall warning here for tonight and a heavy rainfall warning for tomorrow. At least we can keep an eye on the water coming in the basement crack so that damage will be minimal or nothing. Just waiting for the contractor to come on Friday. Weather permitting of course. We always get wallopped in March.

We had invited friends to drop in for wine and cookies this evening, but, as they live "out in the boonies" they have called to beg off. I don't blame them one bit - better safe than sorry! But it means that my house is sparkling, my cookies are baked, and the wine resides in the fridge while we speculate weather (weather) or not to celebrate Ash Wednesday. I think we will.

Cheers!

Julie

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County