Idyll #307- Hoping for a fresh start.

Lara Noles
17 years ago

OK here it is. Carry on Idylls!

Comments (103)

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thought I would love to thumb my nose at winter, I woke up to SNOW this morning again! Yuck! I don't think it's supposed to amount to much, and I shouldn't complain, but it was 52 degrees yesterday. It's really only supposed to amount to snow showers, but I'm tired of it. I'm ready for warming temperatures and plants sticking their new leaves out of the ground.

At any rate I'm off to get showered for a shopping trip. Doubt that I'll buy much of anything, but it will be fun to look at any rate.

suzy

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning Idylls!

Mary, I'm so glad you're attempting to take a stab at getting back to playing your violin more frequently.

:oD

The day began far too early (4:38--don'tcha just love digital clocks and the need to be exact when relating a story?) with a fit of coughing. By the time I was done, I needed a hot drink to soothe the raw throat...thus the day had begun. Blech! (Yep, still getting mileage out of whining about this cold, lol).

It is gray and foggy but we're suppose to be dry and about 55 by this afternoon! I don't have much energy, but might try to go out and work some more on edging the new beds. I've not been back out to work on that since that day when waiting for the tow truck to appear and I really would love to get it done soon.

After Eden & Cynthia mentioned the Congo bars last week, I looked up the recipe online. They sound good but I'm, once again, dieting so won't be doing anything with the recipe for awhile. Sue's whoopie pies always sound yummy so those are another 'treat' for a baking day in the future.

I hope the party is a lot of fun (it will be!). Glad V made it there safely and looking forward to any photos that may be shared.

Later!
    T.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm still waiting for Bella and I've been sitting here going through books I have with trellises. I found one I love that has the wood and wire like Sue's talking about. I'd like to put a couple of wooden ones on the front of my house on each side of a high bedroom window. More for architectural interest than to grow much on though. They'd be under an roof overhang and on the north side of the house. Linked is a picture of some that caught my eye and I have saved in my favorites.

Sue, be still me heart, that redbud is so pretty. Actually I just love the whole setting in the picture. I never tire of seeing pictures of your garden.

Suzy, a shopping trip sounds like great fun, maybe with lunch out, but I'd like to have lots of money to spend. I'm not a very good window shopper. Yes, that would be just the ticket for me today.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's another, a 4 sided trellis that I'd like to get Brad to build for me.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Hello, hello, hello. Car has been delivered to the dealership and my loaner is a huge sedan. The guy had to raise the seat up all the way so I can see over the steering wheel and going around the first turn I slid sideways. Get outta My Way!!!

Rich is getting ready for a prospective addition appt and I have a client event to host. Nothing exciting unless you think that Nickelodeon characters entertaining 400 or so kids under the age of 12 is a good time. My client is a wonderful nut and has gone all out to make his roller skating rink "the" place to be for the younger crowd today. Parents will be entertained by reruns of Discovery Channel specials. I'll make it out alive, I'm sure, but someone at Deanne's please have a strong one for me :-)

Thank you for the trellis ideas! Mine have disintegrated and need replacing. You'd think that having a contractor for a husband would mean unique wood ornaments everywhere, right? Wrong. The arbor is still on paper. LOL

Mary, I must say you are a cut above the rest these days.

In the spirit of congo bars, made some UC's this morning. Basically oatmeal cookie recipe with some of the flour out, some coconut in, some of the oatmeal out and fine-chopped walnuts in, and, of course, chocolate chips. Ky's first little baseball team gave them their moniker: Ultimate Cookies. They're half gone so I'll need to make another batch. Shucks.

Good to see/meet the delurked members! Don't exactly remember everyone, but I'm sure I'll get to know you soon enough. I'm in north-central CT, about 20 miles north of Sue, in the Connecticut River Valley. My park (it's too much to be called a garden) is in it's third year from scratch and this year it's placement for plants time!! I may even feel confident enough to post some pics :-)

I'll do the bathroom finished pics when it's done. No befores -- I want to have absolutely no memory of orangish pink two tone walls with rose border and flaking gold metal fixtures. Last room in the house to be touched but the first to have us say "we've gotta do something, here" when we moved in. Why is that always the way?

Wishing I could skip work and head north to Deanne's. I would've really liked to check out her topiary Rugosa sans foliage.

Sue -- if you have a pic of your pruned sand cherry I'd love to see it. They are my all-time fav shrubs, plain and ordinary or not.

Time to fly!

Best to everyone - Martie

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

A pair of the second one would look good against Lauren's house too. Maybe in dark green to match the shutters she doesn't have yet? :-)

I'm late for an open house. Katie gets to go, and I just trimmed her nails and got her 'good' pearls out. Would rather spend day outdoors, but it's good to have 'obligations' to work around too. Gets me up and going early on the week-ends to fit everything in. (Need to get my eyebrows threaded too. I've decided I like the results better than waxing, for those who still haven't tried it.)

53F already here. And yes it was 60+ yesterday. I am so sorry to say that to those socked in with snow, but usually the midwest gets an earlier spring than the east so everything balances out.

No time to comment, just wanted to say good morning! Hope the New England Idyllers have a wonderful pahty, makes me wish I was still in Goffstown so that I could hop right over to Deanne's!

Mary, thanks for sharing your little slice of life.

Have a good one, Cynthia

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Oh, forgot to ask, Jerri? Any new foster pics for us?

Later,

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Suzy-you are JUST taking down your tree? lol. If we had an artificial one who knows, I'd probably leave it up all year; ) At least you are leaving it up so long because you love the holiday-in my case it would be due to laziness even though I do love Christmas too. Falling pine needles(& stepping on them)are a great motivator!

Don't worry Kath(do you mind if I call you Kath? I have a sister names Kathy[Ann] and I always call her Kath) ANYWAY,don't fret about not being able to see the eclipse,we most likely will not see it due to clouds predicted for tonight. There's supposed to be another one I believe, on Aug. 28.
    I've been forgetting to ask you about your tooth-I feel for you as I had a root canal done last year-BUT it wasn't anything as bad as I expected. YOurs sounds pretty bad since you are on so many meds/eating soft foods. With mine they just injected antibiotics into the canal and plugged it till the final filling. Is yours a molar?

Thanks goodness V-you are safe! The image of a grounded plane shaking as if in the air sounds kinda freaky(!)
    DO drag Chelone please: ) IS Chelone coming?

Michelle I heard that you got 17 inches but the drifts were as high as ten feet! I feel much better knowing you have a generator though.

Mary you do know that if a small blade doesn't succeed you need to step it up to something larger...chainsaw?

I'm enjoying the tree talk as I have a diseased Cornus(old variety) that I have been thinking of replacing with Cottinus but the shrubby issue had me hedging a bit(hmmm that was a pun!). I want to say that somewhere I saw a variety that was more vertical/less shrubby??? Stewartia has been another one I have been eyeing.

I'm just enjoying the slices of humor around here; )

I HAVE to embarrass Chris right now-he is belting out a Belinda Carlyle song right now(Heaven is a place on Earth).I think he's trying to be funny but I think my ears are bleeding. I just yelled at him to please STOP it and the kids are doing belly laughs....I LOVE Saturdays.

Eden I hope Bella's fever is only due to her teeth-she and Megan are sure having a rough time of it!

Sue that pic of your walk is gorgeous! I am SOOO jealous that your areas are so warm! It's just 31 here.

The snow is melted and I see the job waiting for me is stick collecting. It'll have to wait since we have MIL patrol today and I also have mounds of laundry that won't go away.

I will check those trellis links after I post-with my luck I'd lose this post!

HAVE A GREAT ONE-Here's to thumbing winter! Have fun you guys!!

~Babs

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Just breezing through here as it is shaping up to be an absolutely beautiful day here- bet it almost hits the big 7-0 judgeing from the way it feels out there right now. There won't be a weed left in sight by cocktail hour.
    Bab, lots of people call me Kath ! I think you are right about another lunar eclipse, in fact I think there are supposed to actually be 2 more this year.

Love all the trellis pics !

Martie , 400 kids ! better you than me that's all I can say , LOL.

Waving to the nose thumbers, have a great great time !

Be back later

Kathy in Napa

• Jerri_OKC
    17 years ago

We had a celebration this morning! Our rescue lost a dog at an adoption event downtown on Feb. 16th. Sophie was a Shepherd mix who had been abused in the past. She got spooked on the way to the event and wriggled out of her collar. We've been searching for her ever since.
    The Pet Detective (from Animal Planet) came with her tracking dogs and helped but to no avail.
    I got the call this morning that she had been found and turned in to the OKC shelter. I was able to rescue her and bring her home this morning. WAH HOO!!!!!!!!!
    Pix of Sophie and 2 of her babies will follow. Right now she needs a BATH. ::

Jerri

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I had to make a grocery run...but I'm back and did you all know that yesterday was the birthday of Dr. Suess. All Dr. Suess books at Meijer were 50% off. I picked up a new copy of the classic Cat In The Hat. Our old one was pretty tattered.

Martie, 400 children. OH MY!

Cynthia, I love the image of Katie in her pearls. She needs a Jackie O pill box hat. See link at bottom...

Babs, your description of Chris singing made me laugh too. I've caught Brad singing along to "I Feel Like A Woman" by Shania Twain before.

I too have a sister, Kathleen Marie, that I call Kath.

T, a sore throat and cough now?? Rest and lots of fluids for you today.

Bella's fever seems to be under control with tylenol but boy is she crying at the drop of a hat today. Yogurt made her cry but raspberries were "otay" in her words. I think it's going to be a long weekend...

Eden

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jerri, wonderful news that you found her. The rescue animals are so lucky to have you to take care of them!

Eden

• just_t
    17 years ago

Jerri, how great that the dog was found! She must have been really frightened to run and then while running must have also been afraid. I hope she finds a safe and loving home.

Eden, I 'love' the pill box (Jackie O) hat!!! Katie would look so wonderful in that whenever she is wearing her pearls! How in the world did you find it?

We've been working on the new shelter for the goats & the horse this morning. They are going to think they've really moved up in the world to have a much nicer, drier and more wind-proof place to lay & eat. For years we've planned on building a small barn but the funds were never set aside for doing it. We finally made it a priority and I think it is going to be a huge improvement--both for their comfort and for us to look out and see.

The TYNAW party must be in full swing by now...I hope they are having a drink and toasting all of us who are thinking of them. Enjoy yourselves!!!! :oD

(Michelle....what is the weather like for you today?)

My best,
    T

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Afternnoon Idylls!

First let me say Im sorry that I havent been keeping up with the Idylls. I havent even been reading at the Idylls either because I figured that reading would only make me want to join in, all the while knowing that I would never be able to keep up. My tutoring and mom seem to be taking up all of my time these days. Combined with the fact that I have also been doing some transcribing work on the side.

I am so uncomfortable right now, saying what I am about to say because I hate talking about someone as if they arent here. It feels *such a personal thing* to be saying it in a public forum like this and I feel doubly uncomfortable since I have not been an active member, but anyway here goes. Last week I had written Marian. Even though we havent communicated in a long time (other than our conversations at the Idylls) she still holds a special place in my heart and I was concerned about the tornados in her area and wanted to make sure that she was alright. She wrote me back to ask me if I had had read what she had said at the Idylls... that she felt what she had posted might have made others upset with her. Well I hadnt in fact, read her post. I havent, in fact, been to the Idyll website in awhile. I dont defend Marians remarks, in fact it upset me that she would be so unkind to Mary especially, someone who has always gone out of her way to be kind to *everyone* and always including Marian in her posts.

It is all terribly sad to me. Maybe I am overly sensitive at this point, since in the last few months my mother has made a rapid descent - hearing voices; imagining people that arent there; paranoid; believing people are talking about her; being mean to her; telling me that my sister "yells at her"; "is mad at her"; etc., when in fact, *I* know that none of this is true. My mother has always been the sweetest, most soft spoken, most giving person I have ever known. The change is *shocking*, heartbreaking...devastating actually. This is worse than watching my father wither away from his cancer because I know that my mother is hurting, confused, scared and I must reassure her over and over and over again. The doctors are trying to find a way to help, but unfortunately they think the type of dementia my mom has does not respond to normal medications, such as aerosept. We are getting brain scans, blood work, oxygen level testing - most likely all will be for naught...but I hold out hope. I thank goodness I am not in this all alone, at least I have my sister and I am especially thankful that my mother is not alone in this.

Babs is right that Marian needs help (Marian has said so herself). Babs is also correct that Marian wont be able to get the type of help she needs here in a public forum. I want to help, wish I could help, and if I lived nearby I certainly *would* help in any way I could. Marian, if you are reading this right now, I hope you can hear what I am saying. I am *not* saying that you have what my mom has, just that something isnt right. I know you have no family that you can turn to right now, so you must be strong and seek the help on your own. Talk to a counselor, a doctor, your pastor. I will be here (at my email) and at the phone anytime you want to talk...anytime. I just dont think it is appropriate to continue talking about this in a public form, even though I know you are unhappy with me because I have not spoke out in your defense and believe that I am not being a true friend. I am a friend Marian. I do care about you. I am worried about you.

The only reason I am even posting this right now is that I would like to ask, not for myself, but for Marian...please, stop with the knife jokes. What Marian posted was totally inappropriate, I know that - and in her heart I know Marian knows that too. I dont believe that any of you are trying to be mean but it comes off as playground bullying to me. I know that all of you are just trying to show your camaraderie and support of Mary...someone I care for very much too. But, it is hurtful to another human being who is suffering. You must know that she is reading here. I fully understand that something had to be said. No one should have to put up with anger and mean spirited statements on a public forum. Marian hurt and angered a lot of people. I understand that. I am not justifying her comments (sorry Marian) only saying that surely you can see that Marian is a human being in distress. I know that you guys cant help her (going back to Babs comment about public forums). Marian may even be more upset with me for saying this, but I believe that it is probably for the best that she is no longer posting here, even though I know Marian regrets most of what she said. But *I* believe she cant help herself and that likely something like this would come up again. There is no room for anger, mean-spiritedness, or ugly words at the Idylls. This is a special place filled with friendship and kindness I *still* believe that. But, its just not kind to joke at her expense, especially because you know that she is reading here. I was taught by my mother that "if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all." And yes, I know that works both ways. Personally, I have taped a photo of a toothpaste tube on my monitor! Great analogy Michelle!:-)

Okay, having said all of that I hope that you arent angry with me for speaking my piece. I truly believe you are *all* kind, decent, caring, compassionate, understanding, wonderful *fun* people. And, if you are upset with me for posting this, I will understand and feel badly about it, but I want you to know that I hold nothing but positive thoughts about all of you and I treasure the time we have spent together, both here at the Idylls and at my home when you all came to visit at IU4.

Ei

• just_t
    17 years ago

Ei, I'm so sorry to read of the troubles your mother is experiencing. What a heart rendering time for those who love her. I do hope there is something that will be found that can help her during this time.

I doubt that anyone would think you anything but a kind, compassionate and caring individual.

You are often in my thoughts.

T.

• Jerri_OKC
    17 years ago

Ei, I am sorry your family is having to go through this.
    I can't add anything to what T has already stated so well.
    God bless you and yours.

Jerri

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Didja know that after the eighth round of Hokey-Pokey in the background your body will just start doing it on its own???

Ei: Your words are taken to heart.

Eden: Bought an exra share of stock in Kleenex today in honor of Megan and Bella.

Quick first official garden walk of pre-Spring. Though 1/2 of the stuff is covered in snow and the ground is frozen, things are perking up. There is going to be a minor battle about veggie raised bed exact location, but 4" standing water is a good reason not to go Rich's way. Ya think???

Anyhoo -- I'm ready for some New Hampshire pics and Chelone-inspired roast chicken for dinner. Ky is coming in from Boston with a "few???" friends so figured it was a quick and easy dinner for ???? people.

Best to everyone --

Martie

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We couldnt stand it, we went to town this a.m. We had a sandwich and got some groceries. If we didnt have a 4 wheel drive, we wouldnt have made it down the 2 miles of gravel road to the highway.

I have pea soup cooking now for supper from the big ham I made the other day, hmm what day was that?

T, I hope you feel better quickly.

I just love the Jackie O hat and think it would be perfect for Katie.

Sue, I think you could find a good cotinus with a straight middle branch that could be trained as a tree. I remember the first time I recall seeing one. It was on a garden tour and in full bloom. She had it trained as a tree.

Poor Bella and mommy, I hope both feel better soon.
    The trellis trio remind me of 3 or is it 4 that DH came home with last fall. He found them on clearance. Hes so sweet and always on the look out for me. The square one is pretty cool too.

Babs, Id love to spend a Saturday at your house ;o)

What fun to picture Brad singing "I Feel Like a Woman"!

Ei, thanks for your post. As for the whole incident on the other thread, I just want you to know that it saddens me that it happened and escalated. Im sorry to hear of the difficulties with your mom. Things have been so tough for your family. My thoughts are with you.

So Martie, just how many friends did you end up with?

I did take a few pics on my walk with Jaden that I will probably put on a separate thread after we have soup.

Later
    Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Very quickly because I'm exhausted for some reason and about to head off to bed...hope I'm not catching what Monique and Les have. At any rate, a great time was had by all at Deanne's today. As usual we had an abundance of delicious food, and hours of lively and entertaining conversation. I believe Chelone is now hooked on idyll get togethers...lol. Pictures were taken and will no doubt be posted soon.

Ei, nice to hear from you. So sorry your mom is failing so quickly. We were just talking about that today as one of Deanne's friends is going through it with her dad and of course Chelone has had her share of it too. My uncle improved dramatically when he started taking Aricept but I know it doesn't work for everyone. Take care of yourself.

Sorry but I just can't seem to keep my eyes open. Nite all!

Sue

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bedtime here too. Just wanted to say to Ei, that I'm so sorry to hear that your mom's not doing well. I too hope the Drs find something to help.

Martie, I didn't know that about the Hokey Pokey but will keep it in mind for future reference, lol.

I also wanted to say if I'm not around for the next few days don't worry. Bella's keeping me busy now and my mom and dad are coming down Tuesday and staying for a few days so there won't be much free time for Idylling. I'll be sure to check in to see pictures posted from the party though. Glad to hear Chelone made it!

Goodnight, Eden

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Evening all, well we've all decided to head off to bed early tonight. We are all tired! I must be getting old or something I used to be able to party all night long and get up the next day and do it all over again. LOL

Anyway, what a fantastic day we all had. Good food and great conversation with the best of friends. I was so happy to finally meet Chelone in person! She is just as warm, witty and insightful in person as you'd think from her posts. We finally got to meet Wendy's DH and he is right at the top of the terrific husband list along with all the other DH's of the Idyllettes I've met.

V. is busted, her DH called during the party and she said something about the DH's and he said "I didn't know husbands were invited"? Whoops! I guess he'll have to come next year. LOL

I'm fading fast and haven't uploaded the photos yet but I promise I'll get to that first thing in the morning. Wait until you all see the dessert buffet!!! Incredible. Monique made the most fantastic raspberry, chocolate cake I've ever eaten in my life. Accompanying it was a fresh raspberry sauce that she made with berries from her own bushes. Amazing and delicious. Anyway, more on the menu with accompanying photos tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for such a special day!!!!

Nite all
    Deanne

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

OK so Chelone did make it to Deanne'S? Good job Chelone! I had been hoping that the reason we hadn't heard from you here was because you were on the road. That is so cool! I know you all had fun even without hearing the details. I am imagining the initial reaction to first impressions in person as compared to being online-I know Chelone will tell us...it's a weird feeling to suddenly know you are with the people you've chatted online with for YEARS!And to hear real voices! Did she keep saying I can't believe I'm really with you guys?

Aaaw Michelle!-you guys can spend any Saturday with us that you choose...just don't look at the dust and clutter-but I'm sure we can make you smile & laugh....we'll just ask Chris to sing something.
    And EDEN BTW-there is a monumental difference between Brad's singing and Chris'...Brad actually CAN sing: ) Still, very cute to catch a guy singing a girly song lol.
    HAve fun with Bella and your parents. Is your mom doing well?

Good to hear from you Ei! I am very sad to hear about your mom especially since I went through that with my dad and it's really hard when you see them regress quickly. If you need an ear you know where I am.((Ei))

I just got back from a confrontational evening with my SIL at MIL's house. (as you know)Every Sat. we go to MIL's to do errends/laundry/chores well, SIL finally decided she could make it the same day we did. All I can say is she's very high strung and jumps on MIL every chance she can. I had it. I told her it's enough-you need to be there for your mom. She didn't like the truth so she booked...This is a woman who plans to ditch her stable college professor's job to become a family counselor....yeah...right. Sorry but the last couple days have been a rush of strong emotions.

HEY how about that eclipse! Had I not been busy telling SIL what she should already know...I'd have been outside viewing the eclipse. We did see it as we drove home but just the tail end so the moon only looked slightly full-I think we needed to be standing in Africa to get a good show: )
    Kath I hope in Aug we can eclipse notes to compare: ) I am SOOO jealous of your warm temps! It's snowing here boo hoo.

Ok well I better get moving I have a movie to watch.

~Babs

• chelone
    17 years ago

I returned to the compound 8:30-9ish, heard the huge-dog barking and then saw the door open; Mr. Mohawk began circling as soon as he recognized me. I had forgotten to close of the kitchen before leaving for Deanne's and wondered if he'd make a move for the trash in my absence, but he didn't. When Daddy returned home at 4 he was contentedly sacked out, keeping an eye out for home invaders.

What a fun time I had yesterday! definitely a treat. (Like Dunkin' Donuts, "it's worth the trip"). I'm looking forward to Philly, the ride share for the trip down should be worth the price of admission. :) Deanne did, of course send me home with a Fuschia skeleton, which she assures me I won't destroy with my routine of benign neglect. It is next to the "germamiums" in the south window. You wouldn't believe her "cellar"... holy Moses... a Coleus and Fuschia experimental station. ;)

Ei., it's nice to hear from you and I rather suspected that things were getting rough with your Mom. Aricept does not help everyone; we tried it for Mum, but it didn't seem to do much, so it was discontinued; the suspicion was that her dementia was more stroke related than anything else. I found that routines were important for Mum (make the bed with me, get washed up and dressed, and then have breakfast with us). I'm sre the trauma of your Dad's illness and death really changed your Mom's "routine", as well as overwhelmed her with grief. Those two life changing things constitute a tremendous change. Some are never able to really recover from it. The "ripple effects" touch everyone, too. Watching it and living it leaves a mark on you, that branding process imbues you with a certain empathy and compassion for people who struggle with it, too. Have you ever checked out the Caregivers forum on THS? there are some great people over there, many of whom were esp. supportive and helpful to me when I needed help. It's a wonderful forum although it's been slow for a bit now.

I wondered about Kathy yesterday as I was greedily chewing the abundant and delicious chow... . When will the infection be under control enough to address the tooth/teeth?

I FINALLY remembered the decorating question I wanted to answer! I think it was Martie's, and it was about re-enamelling a bathtub. No, I've never had it done. But a very good friend of mine (a decorator for YEARS on the South Shore in MA) used to recommend it for many of her clients. The results were wonderful; her portfolio had several before/afters of things like that. She was also a proponent of having major appliances redone, too. I don't know anything about the actual process or the cost, however. And Martie, I'm bummed there will be no "befores". Hope you and Rich were both successful yesterday; ummm... he's a builder?

I was thinking about how awful it must've been for Jerri to see the dog "escape". I can only imagine the relief at finding her. I don't imagine an abused dog would be all that keen on "coming" to anyone, who could blame her? She's a lucky dog.

The helpmeet made all the trellises here. We used roughcut hemlock and stained them all to match the siding on the house. He made our's because we weren't able to find any that were tall enough for our purposes. We used them to break up the monotony of an architecturally dull home, and wanted them to be level with the front door. They're supported on the bottom by a pressure treated post, sunk into the ground. The trellis is hinged to that and fastened to the house. That way, we may unfasten it and drop it away from the side if we want to restain the siding. These shots aren't great, but will give you an idea:

{{gwi:151569}}

{{gwi:151570}}

And here's a corner shot of the pergola on the north side of the house, with it's trellises:

{{gwi:151571}}

I've gotta fold some laundry and put some of it INSIDE the drawers.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning everyone, Just a quick post for now, V and I are sitting here in the dining room enjoying a post-breakfast cup of coffee. I've got my laptop and she is using Doug's laptop, our feet are up on the ottoman it's a beautiful sunny day outside. Great way to spend a day! LOL The only downside I can see to this day is that I've got to take V. back to the airport this afternoon. Sometime before then we're going to go to the Rosy Dawn site and I'm going to 'help' here order a bunch of coleus. Te he... picture me rubbing my hands in anticipation here.

I'll be back to comment and add a few more pics of the festivities later but for now I wanted to get this group photo up on the thread. We had six Idylls in attendance this year!!! How cool is that???

{{gwi:151572}}

Later all,
    Deanne

• Jerri_OKC
    17 years ago

Good morning. How fun to wake up to the smiling faces of Idyllers! I'm waiting for all the details. :)
    I'm off to do some much needed cleaning. Hmm... maybe laundry so we have clothes for work too! LOL
    At least DH is good about helping so it'll be a good day.

Jerri

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Good morning! The sun is shining, the coffee is wonderfully strong and last night was a great time.

Our food was absolutely delish! Doug's legendary smoked salmon, Sue's whoopie pies, Monique's amazing raspberry cake, Chelone's tabouleh, Wendy's Swedish bars - I could go on and on. Everything was yummy. But even better was the company of so many idyllers and friends. Yes, next year I may have to bring my DH!

Ei, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's decline. I have a close friend whose mother is having similar problems with a non-Alzheimer's dementia and I know how hard it is on that family. You are missed here and are welcome back whenever you have a moment or two to spend with us.

Babs, it was cloudy here all night so no eclipse for us.

Say, when we all meet in Philly, we will have to have Sue do her King Tut dance.

Nice to see Jerri and Lauren back also! The idylls have been busy lately.

Michelle, you really got walloped with snow! I am so ready for this winter to end. Most years, I've been able to do a little tidying in February but this year it hasn't been possible. Now I'm dreading spring since I will have tons to do and not a lot of time to do it!

But I will make time to plant some coleus. Just because I know Marie hates coleus as much as Chelone hates dogs.

If you have a really good monitor, you may be able to read Monique's t-shirt, "Lobstercrombie & Pinch". Loved it.

Have a great day, all!

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Just look at all those smiling faces! Just think how much wider the smiles will be in another month or so when we can start getting back into the garden. I'm actually hoping to do some early spring garden chores today-whatever I can reach from pathways and patios since the ground is very soggy and still semi frozen.

Jerri, so glad everything turned out well for poor Sophie.

So now that Deanne's thumb your nose at winter party has come and gone we find ourselves looking for the next idyll social. Perhaps something with a "Welcome Spring" theme? How about next weekend? lol Can you tell I enjoy these gatherings?

Martie, I've had bathtubs refinished although not recently. It works and holds up well but you do have to take some special precautions-or you did-it's possible the process has improved in the 15 years or so since I had it done last. No abrasive cleansers and I think they even tell you not to leave items like shampoo bottles sitting on the edge. We've actually been discussing doing that here. The sixty five year old finish on my tub is just impossible to get looking clean anymore-even on the rare occasion when it is clean.

Well I guess I should motivate and get something done today.

Sue

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning! I love seeing those Idyll Smiles (Smylls? groan!). I also noticed the size of the goblets that everyone has their juice in. It looks like a wonderful time was being had. I showed the photo to DH as he was walking by.....explained what the gathering was about and he said 'that's what we need around here'. LOL I wasn't sure if it was the particular people, the goblets of juices or if it was the idea of summer. I think it was the people & summertime thoughts.

Yesterday turned out to be relatively nice. A bit damp but it also warmed up enough to have some steam rising from the roofs of the house & shop. I even think I saw a fleeting patch of sunshine on the floor in the family room!! Yep, Sunshine!!! ;o)

I sure hope Megan and Bella are feeling better today.

Well, yep, the coffee cup needs refilling and the day needs to get moving if I'm going to be ready to get out the door soon.

V, safe journey home!

T.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Hello again,

Well here are a few more pics from the party yesterday. This first one we are enjoying the appetizer buffet.

{{gwi:151573}}

As mentioned Doug did his smoked salmon with your choice of garnishes, sour cream/dill, chopped red onion, capers or pickled ginger. (My personal favorite is a combination of the sour cream/dill plus a bit of the pickled ginger) Then Sue and Tom brought some beautiful shrimp cocktail and Les made his fabulous guacamole. Yummy!!! This year they brought this fun, fun serving dish for the guac...

{{gwi:151574}}

I was too busy eating to grab a photograph of the dinner buffet but the garlic chicken and marinated steak tips were a big hit. We had a choice of tossed salad and that summer staple of potato and egg salad. Chelone made a delicious Tabouleh, my friend Deb brought a whole wheat pasta salad. (I'm full thinking of it again)

Then, drum roll here, the dessert buffet of Monique's fabu-fabu Raspberry Chocolate Torte
    {{gwi:151575}}

Sue's World-famous Whoopie Pies
    {{gwi:151576}}

Wendy made some lovely Sweedish Almond Bars and delicious, refreshing Fruit Salad
    {{gwi:151577}}

Here are the Idyllettes 'hovering' around the dessert buffet
    {{gwi:151579}}

and here are the guys enjoying their dessert
    {{gwi:151580}}

OK I guess that is all from here for now. I've got to go and enjoy the rest of my time with V. Have a great day everyone!!!

I sure hope next year we can get even more Idylls and spouses to join in on the fun.

Deanne

• Lauren_StL
    17 years ago

What a great time you all had! So, I'm just curious, when you all get together...do you mainly talk about gardens or is it a more "normal" conversation, say like you might have with a friend from work? Just trying to picture how it all plays out when you finally get to meet someone in person that you've met only on the "screen". I would think that it is a little odd feeling at first - like how someone looks/ sounds when you might have imagined it a different way? Just thoughts crossing through my mind this Sunday morning! My littlest guy is sick with a cold so he and I are home this morning. He's currently sacked out on the couch watching Thomas the Train on video. I'm not a big fan of TV, but oh how thankful I am for videos at times like this!

Several of you asked how my kiddos are doing. They're now 8, 6, and soon to be 3. Getting bigger every day and they keep me hopping. This year I'm going to use the 8 and 6 year olds as garden helpers - weeding, planting and such. The 8 year old was really interested in it last year, but I hesitated to relinquish control! LOL. But I keep expanding the garden, so I think I need the help.

Eden, Thanks for the trellis ideas - I really like the trio and have printed it out to show to DH. Glad you got to enjoy Dr. Seuss's birthday too. I took the kids to a celebration at our local library and they made those red and white striped hats at the end of the story time--so cute. Do you know (according to our local librarian) that Dr. Seuss didn't write his first book until after the age 50? Amazing!!

And Cynthia, you must be a details person! Did you read through that entire old post I linked to?/? You're a faster reader than I must be :) Luckily, I managed to get my hands on some shutters this winter--so we'll be adding the shutters also this spring. We live in one of those subdivisions that were built 20 years ago - 400 houses with only 5 different floor plans!! Sooo, when my neighbors decide to update their shutters, I managed to snag some and sure enough, they were the right size! I guess that's one benefit to living in a cookie cutter neighborhood.

And Chelone, what a beautiful trellis on your house. And thanks for sharing about the hinges at the bottom. That's a great idea and I'm sure we wouldn't have thought of it until it was already done.

Sue, I love your silver cloud redbud (beautiful placement in your garden). We planted one of those at our last house, although it's more of a tree form now. It's about 15 feet tall now and looks very much like a tree. (I don't like keep tabs on our old house - it's just that we moved next door, so I see it all the time.) However, that shape could be because the owner after us cut it into a LOLLIPOP SHAPE with hedge trimmers. I drove home one days, shortly after we had moved and just started crying when I saw what she had done. It was a beutiful redud and she had totally maulled it. I called my husband at work crying - he thought something had happened to the kids... Maybe I overreacted a bit. Thankfully the people who live there now have lovingly pruned it and it looks so much better now - but not anything like yours, Sue.

OK, the little guy want to now go play Thomas with this train set. Do you see a theme to his days?

:) Lauren

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

G-morning all -- how nice to see all those smiling faces (I like the last one where the "guys" seem to be satiated and ready for naps).....

Ei -- Im so sorry about your Mom's decline - my MIL suffered a similar situation w/ non-A dementia that was diagnosed; she in fact was helped a bit w/ various meds for a few years; routine is definitely a huge key, as Chelone mentioned. You're lucky enough that you're close in distance to be of real assistance and comfort. I took your note re other subjects to heart as well. I hope people who need help will find the right route for themselves to find it whether it's church, relatives, professionals. You are such a caring person.

Well, it should surprise no one that the chance to work outside topped all other chores yesterday - what a glorious choice - it was in high 50s, sunny, and managed to work several hours outside pruning things back (still have roses to go), removing debris, and wow -- weeding - there's chickweed or vetch that has taken over every bed - it's scary - great "groundcover" but I suspect I wont like it in another 2 months. In fact, Im not sure HOW Im really going to get rid of it -- & I did this all without "bending the knee" [much] -- the stupid instruction the orthopedic guy gave me; I dont even want to talk about that visit... The ground was incredibly soggy & muddy; w/ ice & small patches of snow still around; but I also discovered a few snowdrops and one lone pansy blooming - a harbinger of weeks warming I hope!! Yes, Cynthia - I managed to restrain myself from moving things.

Feeling a wee bit stiff today but pretty good. But it turned back into March today -- very windy, maybe 30s outside -- definitely a little too brisk for me. The Lion is out today.

Guess I'll have to return to the rest of the "list" and see what I can accomplish. Thanks for sharing the great pics - Im hungry again; esp. with those actual real life presentations! Yum!!

--Cindy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

No problem on the King Tut performance, V. Philly will be quite appropriate since the King Tut exhibit is on display there now. If anyone wants to join me, I've included practice material in the link below. OK, who plays sax?

Sue

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Awwww! All the New England idylls with cabin fever in the same place. Looks like the right tonic and torte was found for temporary cure. You all look so happy! Is that extra raspberry sauce? Yum, everything looks and sounds so good. Thanks for sharing pictures of the fun.

So while you were all partying, I was actually outdoors chopping most of the remaining grasses in the front yard and picking up the litter that drifts in over winter. I think I tried the hedge trimmer on the grasses one year and it didn't work, so I clipped til my fingers were numb. There's one humongous grass still standing that's on today's agenda. Surprised to see so much green in the protected centers of the grasses.

I found someone's credit card in a collection of litter in the brush across the street and thought about calling the police so they could be charged with littering.

It was a nice day here, and I topped it off with an hour at Home Goods and must have been in Trader Joe's parking lot when the moon was eclipsing. Met some friends for dinner in Little Italy and came home to find the dogs all over the house. I had gated them in my office and they were all asleep when I left. Dannie is the engineer and I didn't have to latch the gates before she moved in. Now I latch them, and it seems she's now figured out the latch. (Her tube was removed last week-end and her stitches look good. She's recovering nicely thanks.) So yes Chelone, I can imagine your delight in finding the garbage untouched when you returned home last night. Good boy Rex!

Jerri, that must have been awful for the poor volunteers that lost Sophie. Wonderful that she was found and she's in your capable hands now.

Ei, Sending good wishes and warm thoughts to you in this tough time. I hope your mom's illness can be managed so that she is less anxious and can have some more special times with her family.

Eden, the pink pillbox is adorable! Do you know how many bully sticks or how many pounds of green tripe I could buy for that price? :-) Which would Katie prefer, hmmm.

Hello to all, hope no one is in pain today. Kathy tooth? Cindy knee?

Best, Cynthia

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Oh! Attention you shoppers and surfers. I need a metal arch 8 to 10 or even 12 feet wide. I actually did something smart a few years ago, but didn't realize it at the time. I planted a Cecile Brunner rose to climb a deformed Kousa on the tree line in the side yard, and planted another directly opposite to climb the little gh roof (attached to house). Now they're getting fairly large and starting to throw canes into the side yard. Easy enough to direct them back to the existing supports, but if I could find a metal arch to center in the side yard they'd have something to climb and this spot is at back corner of house, so would make a nice visual entrance to back side yard. Most arches are 5 to 6 feet wide, but I know there are larger ones out there, I just can't find them.

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning

What a wonderful greeting to see the smiling faces at Deannes and what a fun, festive get together it must have been. My mouth is watering at the sight of the incredible food - what a feast!!

Glad Dannie is making such a nice recovery Cynthia.

Hope Eden's family, Kathy's tooth and the sore knees are likewise giving their owner's some relief.

Babs - good for you for being so direct with SIL. I too have felt my emotions run way too high these past couple of days and combined with PMS I don't think I've been the best company here at home. I'm so glad things are returning to normal.

Ei - I'm not sure if I posted this so forgive me everyone if it's a repeat. I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your mother's decline and can only imgaine how hard it must be after all you have been through. Your kindness and gernerosity are an example to us all. Please know we are here for you whether it helps to share things to the group or individually, or simply to come and talk about something completely different.

Jerri - what great news that your rescue dog was found. Happy endings are the best.

Lauren - David is 10 now but I remember so fondly the days of Thomas the Tank Engine. Enjoy those precious moments!

This afternoon the team are coming over for a dress rehearsal for their skit for Odyssey of the Mind, we then have one more run through as school and are off to the competition. I need to do the pre-company run about with mop and vaccum for which I'm feelings remarkably unmotivated. I want to be sitting in the sunny room with Deanne and V choosing colous!!

I must admit to being totlly bummed that I had no response about violin lessons. It was actually Annie's new teacher I approached as I know another Mom who is studying with her. She is a fabulous teacher and a lovely person. I had asked her the week before about the possibility of taking lessons and she told me she would look at her schedule. At Annie's next lesson there was no mention, but given the focus should be on Annie at that time I didn't read too much into it. Instead I emailed the next day discussing my reasons for wanting to play and how much this meant to me, what I hoped to accomplish, and also that if this were not possible, asking for other suggestions for someone else I might approach. When I emailed once before about Annie the teacher bounced right back so I got the impression email was an efficient means of communciation. So I'm left utterly perplexed, and feeling more embarrased and foolish by the hour for putting so much of myself out there. I didn't expect to have teachers falling over themselves to take me on as a student, but nor did I expect to feel quite so rejected. I think I need Chelone to come and tell me to get up off my pity potty and come up with another plan!

The kitchen floor calls - have a great Sunday everyone

Mary

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Lovely,lovely! to see you idyll thumbers! Lol at the guys...did they need to escape the talking-a-mile-a-minute ladies? WOW that food looks fabulous!
    Deanne-is that cardinal on the wall behind Sue at the dessert buffet one that you painted-oh maybe it is a photo? You certainly could have a complete bird gallery with all the great pics you have...will you paint some of them?

Lauren I think you'd be surprised at how comfortable it really is to meet the idylls in person-it's actually amazing how you feel like you've known them all your life. As you can see from Sue's comment about when the next get together is,it gets addicting.

Sue...um I have played alto sax in the past and even used to play King Tut with my band friends during marching band...OK that was over 20 yrs ago and my sax got handed on to my niece...how unfortunate? lol. I had actually hoped that video clip was of you!...I'm sure somebody's camera lastnight had video clip capability? : )

It's an eye opener to see how many of us have some connection to a person with dementia of one type or another,you know?

Oh Cindy, how tough to see the work before you and not be able to get down in the dirt. Would a hoe be doable?
    It sounds so foreign to hear of you guys being able to even do yardwork since we just got another blanket of snow lastnight. Eden did MI get it too?

Chelone you might appreciate my experience last night putting SIL on the spot for her meanness and irresponsibility toward her mom. Chris said I did quite well because I didn't yell or start a screaming match. SIL started gettting snippy with her mom and kept saying she couldn't deal with the discussion of mom's funeral/burial plans,etc. Finally I said,"STOP."I held her hand and calmly said,you might not be comfortable talking about mom dying but mom NEEDS to be heard so she can get her plans in order and know that we know where everything is. Put your anger aside for your mom, it's about her,not YOU. YOU aren't here when she needs you and your nephews don't feel like they have an aunt because you are never here when they are....long story short she didn't know what to do because I didn't freak when she tried to fight dirty with yelling at me and saying hurtful things-but now she knows where I stand so hopefully something will sink in. We'll see. I just don't get how she can let anger continually motivate her-it must be so exhausting.

Lol Cynthia nice wishes for no pain today...I have a headache and cramps: )...I love Motrin! Kath, you have any good pain meds for me? lol. I hope your mouth is better today.

Lauren I hope your little guy is better quick. I remember when our days and weeks consisted of Thomas. AJ, who is now 11 loved Thomas to death. Funny,Ryan never really cared and I thought how great,Ryan has so much Thomas stuff...he rarely touched it!
    I look forward to hearing about the little gardeners in training. My boys will be planting peas on St. Pat's day.

I recall someone asking about buying fabric online...(I'm slow) I bought gorgeous Waverly fabric from Fashion Fabrics when I made that futon cover a few years ago. I joined the club and then they would send me swatches every month or so. It was funny when the post office recieved the roll and we went to pick it up. They asked what it was because the employees were trying to guess-I don't think they guessed fabric though.

OK I need to clean out the fridge...must find a gas mask and elbow length rubber gloves to remove the penicillin lab in there....OK it's probably not THAT bad.

First, more coffee
    ~Babs

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Nice photos Deanne! The women definitely look like we were enjoying the desserts more than the sleepy men LOL. Was great seeing old friends again as well as meeting new Idyllers and the spouses. As others have said, the food was fantastic and the meat grilled perfectly (Deanne swooned a bit everytime Doug passed by with the 'Ode to BBQ' cologne he was wearing). Once we were miles away, I realized that I forgot to take the leftover smoked salmon and some of Chelone's tabouleh :o( Chelone, I want the recipe!

Chelone, love the photos of your house. I know what you mean about the trellises; I always have a hard time finding trellises and obelisks big and tall enough for my purposes. We have 3 copper trellises that we had made custom for us-they took their original plan and made it taller by a couple of feet. Don't the suppliers know how tall Clematis, honeysuckle and roses get? I love cedar sided houses-how long has it been since you've stained yours? The gray color is fantastic.

Eden, I hope your daughter feels back to normal soon. Your containers photos were lovely. I hope to see your yard someday-I guess whenever the next Idyllunion is back in Michigan. What a fun cake for Bella!

Martie, which Homegoods do you frequent? I try to go to the ones that Sue doesn't so I can find decent stock LOL. I love that Wendy is a container enabler now.

T, hope the cold doesn't last long. Hubby and I went to a banquet last w/end with a large bunch of college fraternity friends (we were both brothers in a co-ed service fraternity that was celebrating its 60th anniversary with a banquet). We both came down with colds by Tuesday. We never get sick at the same time, so my theory is that someone infected the tongs in the buffet line. Sorry to hear about the goat :-(

Ei, so sorry about your Mom.

I haven't been good about posting, but I do skim over the posts and photos at least once daily. I don't enjoy constant negativity. Here's hoping for a fresh start also!

• Jerri_OKC
    17 years ago

Babs, you can borrow my Haz-Mat suit and gloves. I use it to clean out the puppy pen. ;)
    Just got back from Lowes. DH was fixing a leak in the toilet and broke the water connection. We should be on one of those home improvement nightmare shows! LOL

Back to work.

Jerri

• chelone
    17 years ago

Biggie and I have been outdoors. It was gorgeous this morning, but the wind has really picked up and it's supposed to get cold on Monday, REALLY cold on Tuesday (highs below 20F!). I performed some ice removal work in the area where we park our cars, and did some work on the front stoop, where the leaking gutter has created a glacier. :/ .

I removed the Christmas lights from the evergreens in the windowboxes, I removed the greens from the second floor ones, and one on the first floor, but the two others are still frozen solid. I don't see them thawing out any time soon. The pediments are still in place as I can't get the tall step ladder near enough to reach them, and the extension ladder is too heavy to move alone. But it's a start and provided "quality time" with the pets. See Suzy? you're not alone! ;) The sun's rays were very warm and even the coming cold snap can't keep spring away forever!

Babs., I meant to comment on the difficulty with your SIL this morning, but "just plum fergot". It's so difficult to address something like that; it takes a great deal of resolve to maintain a level head and stay "on topic" without indulging the desire to "get personal". Clearly, your SIL is totally freaked out by her mother's circumstances, who could blame her? But it's reality time and being freaked out isn't going to help get MIL's affairs in order. You were right to point out that it's not about her; perhaps after some time your husband can speak to his sister about the necessity of some family unity. My own experience with my brother and Mum was tense for awhile, but he is a practical man and has an innate sense of "fairness" and "what's right and proper". In the end, he realized how much I'd done and was still willing to do, if not in a "hands on" capacity. If you keep "on topic" and don't get sucked into nastiness she may well "come around". If she doesn't, then go ahead and get things in order without her. One way or the other, the debris and fallout will have to be addressed. Be proud of yourself; and borrow back the Sax. for the Philly trip, willya? :)

Mary, you don't strike me as the pity-potty type. I'll give you a few more days before I "drop the hammer". ;) Don't waste your energy being embarrassed, I don't THINK anyone's died from it recently, but I could be wrong. Most likely, the teacher is reviewing the schedule (figuring out what "deadwood" to prune, p'raps?) or is thinking about other instructors to refer to you if she has no time. Hang tight!

Cynthia, I was going to suggest you have something made for the span you have. Having had a piece of furniture made when I was unable to find anything remotely close to what I wanted, I can tell you I've been most pleasantly surprised with "custom work", including its price. I think you ought to look into it.

Monique, the Tabouli recipe is from "The Moosewood Cookbook" by Mollie Katzen c.1977, Ten Speed Press. Here it is:

You should begin to soak the bulghar at least 3 hrs. before serving time. It needs to thoroughly marinate and chill.

1 cup dry bulghar wheat
    1 1/2 cups boiling water
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup fresh lemon and/or lime juice
    1 heaping tsp. crushed, fresh garlic
    1/2 cup chopped scallions (include greens)
    1/2 tsp. dried mint
    1/4 cup good olive oil
    fresh black pepper
    2 md. tomatoes, diced
    1 cup (packed)freshly chopped parsley

optional:
    1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
    1 chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup coarsely grated carrot
    1 chopped cucumber or summer squash

1.) Combine bulghar, boiling water, and salt in a bowl. Cover and let stand 15-20 minutes, or until bulghar is chewable.
    2.) Add lemon juice, garlic, oil, and mint. Mix thoroughly. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
    3.) Just efore serving add the vegetables and mix gently. Correct seasonings. Garnish with feta cheese and olives. Seves 6-8.

I prefer to buy the bulghar at the whole foods market, I like the whole grain variety more than the more refined type. I also like to put it in pita pockets for an easy sandwich. Typically, we keep the vegetables that can get mushy in seperate containers and add them as we eat the tabouli. I don't like limp, super soaked cole slaw or tabouli! BTW, your cake was greedily consumed by the helpmeet... no sign of whoopie pies, either. :)

The siding is stained with a 50/50 mix of Bleaching oil, and Ben. Moore's "Silver grey". It was done in 1991 and needs another coat badly. We've been dragging our feet on it, waiting to see if the garage will come to fruition. Then we'll have them both done at the same time.

How's Michelle holding up? is the house still on its foundation?

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Yes, I took my glasses off and leaned in to look at the cardinal on Sue's shoulder too! It has to be a Deanne original.

So the King Tut thing is new to me. I loved it and I want to be a back-up dancer! Perhaps we can all practice and have a performance at the PA idyllunion. I can see Babs as King Toot and Sue as King Tut.

It's cold here today, so haven't done anything outdoors except hustle the dogs on a walk. I'm not taking any new fosters until end of March, because double shifts of dog walking in the cold is more than I can stand.

Mary, the violin teacher may have read your note and set it aside to think about it. Perhaps how she could shuffle things to fit you in, or who she could recommend for you. Then she may have gotten busy and simply forgotten! Maybe the next time you pick up Annie from a lesson you could jog her memory by asking her who she would recommend for you.

Jerri, I have the same kind of house :-) I bought a metal wall rack at Home Goods last night for hanging coats/leashes at top of cellar stairs. I must have spent an hour trying to hang the thing today! Rifling through drawers for just the right size of screw and then modifying the back of the rack with pliers so the hangey things were in proper position. And screw number 1 was too short to hit the recessed stud. Who knows. I had to find a longer one with same size head as shorter one. Managed to get it hung without a trip to Home Depot, but it will probably be on the floor next time I look, or I screwed it into a water pipe and will find out when I flush the toilet.

In my family I'll probably be the relative with dementia.

Lauren, I looked at your photos on the linked thread and saw someone else mentioned shutters. I had to agree! The window is boring shape and shutters will help bigtime. You'll have to share new photos when the shutters are installed. I'm a white house/green shutters/red door kind of person. But love Chelone's teal door. Yummy. I remember you describing the trellises years ago Chelone, and thought it was a smart idea.

Ok, back to do more little projects. That's what Sunday's are for!

Hope Eden is having a good visit with her mom & dad.

Cynthia

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Babs, just put my face on Steve Martin's body...lol.

Allrighty then...suffice it to say I've got gardening out of my system for the time being. It's overcast, windy and raw. There is still too much ice and snow on the ground to clean up any perennials or leaves but I did cut back a couple of grasses and a few taller things before retreating back inside. Better bundle up for my walk this afternoon. Brrrrr...I was going to start coppicing shrubs but as Chelone mentioned, the high here for Tuesday is only supposed to be around 20 F with a dip to almost 0 F at night. Best to wait another week and see how things look then.

Why can't I ever be happy with the status quo? In less than an hour outside I decided my side garden needed to be totally redesigned. Now that the hot tub and patio are over there I need more privacy and the current arch, low shrubs and perennials just don't do it. The good news for Tom is I think we can move that arch over to the side walkway so he won't have to build one.

Monique, you can have all the Homegoods stuff you want just stay away from Broken Arrow, Quacking Grass and all the other good nurseries this spring until I've had a chance to get there....lol. Hope you and Les feel better soon.

Mary, could the violin teacher be away? Maybe she doesn't have room on her schedule and has inquired to others and they haven't gotten back to her. It would be rude of her not to respond and based on your description she doesn't sound like that sort of person. At any rate, a plan B is always good to have but certainly don't feel embarrassed or foolish-that's not like you.

Darn, Chelone, I thought your Tabouli had onions...onions make me gag, scallions I don't mind. Pooh, I should have tried some.

Cynthia, I saw the perfect arch for you at Trudi Temple's garden on one of our IU3 stops this past July. Custom may be the way you'll have to go.

{{gwi:148550}}

Boy Zoe is driving me nuts today. She just can't lay down and relax. She walks aimlessly around the house-in and out of the rooms over and over. Right now she's looking at her bed but can't seem to get herself to step onto it or lie down. Oh, she just walked away. None of this is frantic at all-just strolling with frequent stops to sniff this, that or the other thing or look out a window. When she does go down she goes out like a light-probably from exhaustion.

Oh goody, here comes Tom with my afternoon caramel macchiato from Starbucks.

Sue

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Good cloudy afternoon! It was sunny here earlier, but the clouds are rolling in now.

We had a wonderful time at Deanne's yesterday; good food, great company - a perfect day! Monique, that cake was a masterpiece. I've only attempted cakes with 2 layers, I'm not brave enough to try 4! What you didn't see in the photos was the lovely presentation of the cake; served with a swirl of the raspberry sauce underneath, and a garnish of fresh raspberries. So yummy! Hope you and Les are feeling better soon.

Sue, DH enjoyed the King Tut link - did you hear him singing along with you yesterday? He is a fan of vintage Saturday Night Live.

V, have a good flight back. Let us know what coleus you chose.

Speaking of garden get-togethers, I just listened to the latest Ken Druse podcast and he spoke about a new garden guidebook for the Philly area. I'll post the link below.

Lauren, my DS is almost 10 now, but he loved Thomas the Tank Engine when he was younger. It made me sad when he told me a few years ago that he is too old for it now. He lovingly packed up the train set and gave it to his younger cousin. Hope your little guy is feeling better soon.

Cynthia, I can just picture your doggies planning their big break-out. They were only pretending to be asleep, waiting for their opportunity...

Babs, sorry to hear of your difficulties with your SIL. Sounds like you handled it well.

Waving hi to everyone else!

-Wendy

• Jerri_OKC
    17 years ago

Second trip to Lowes.

Jerri

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jumping in to see the party pictures. Looks like lots of fun and good food.

Sue, loved the King Tut clip. I do remember it. I would like to add to the memory by seeing you doing it, especially with Babs and Cynthia on backup, lol.

Chelone, that's the same tabouli recipe I've used for years from Moosewood. I like it in pitas too.

Mary, Don't be embarrassed. When I took lessons as a child, my teacher, who was a wonderful violinist and concert master of the local symphony, had quite a few adult students. They would play their pieces at recital just like the rest of the students too. Keep persuing it, don't give up!

Update, Brad's almost done repairing the walls. He says it'll just be one more day and then we can paint! That's good news to me. I'm thinking of using a color the hue of coffee with cream.

I wonder if Honey got her bedroom finished?

OK for a quick check in for pictures this is getting long so I'll stop now. See you in a few...

Eden

• chelone
    17 years ago

Jerri, your crack about the home disaster show broke me up. The visual of you in a Haz. Mat. suit really iced it for me. LOL

You guys oughtta see Sue doin' the King Tut dance. ;) This is shaping up nicely... Cynthia as a backup dancer with maybe V. or Deanne?, Babs. emerging from the sarcophagus with the Sax. ; oh... I think we've got potential :) . Like Wendy's husband, I grew up on SNL, the National Lampoon, and Monty Python's Flying Circus. Probably explains my lack of "political correctness" and why I was frequently told I had a "poor attitude" (whatever that is). Also explains my lack of fitness for parenthood. ;) . Wendy, have you or the husband shared the straw trick yet?

Lauren, I wasn't the least bit nervous about meeting the gang. And that's unusual for me, I'm actually very retiring. But over the years we've shared such a lot of ourselves here. Sure, we've probably all said things we wished we hadn't, but you can't edit everything in your life. It's the OVERALL average that really matters. Hope the kiddy-o is perking up; nothin' wrong with TV, as long as you know how to control it. We dumped cable over a year ago and now get 4 stations. Internet, radio, and books are better entertainment.

Sue, I had no idea your palette was so discriminating. I've burned the "onion free" thing into my brain; does it matter if they're cooked? would you eat a grilled onion wedge or is the whole prospect too overwhelming?

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

My insightful, witty, thoughtful and caring response to all individuals above was just deleted by Firefox. Grump.
    Later friends!

• chelone
    17 years ago

So delay dinner and do it again, what's the big deal?

:)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Or better yet, start a new idyll-it looks like we put this one to bed in no short order.

Off to walk.

Sue

• chelone
    17 years ago

About the onions, missy?

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Mary-it occurred to me since I did get to hear that little snippet of you playing once that could it possibly be that the teacher knows how well you already play that she could feel not as qualified to give you the advanced instruction you'd benefit from? Is there a university nearby that could refer you to a suitable instructor? I feel frustrated for you since I can sense how serious you are about this. Don't give up. Try not to think of this as an embarrassment because nothing you've done merits it. I too would simply ask her at Annie's next lesson what she reccomends-and I wouldn't feel even slightly embarrassed either.

"In my family I'll probably be the relative with dementia." Cynthia, I think the same thing-it's a thought that comes up often after going through it with my father-even though his dementia was extemely rare(Pick's disease). You can't help wondering. I also don't buy the research suggestions that exercising your brain can possibly slow down the development of dementias. My dad was highly educated,enjoyed reading,was physically active and involved in the community with his dance band-that just makes me think I'll get it anyway since I do much less. I guess you try to live a full life regardless of what will get you in the end, huh.

OK back to the penicillin lab...Thanks for the Haz-Mat suit Jeri! : )

~babs

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms