Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll #500 And... They're Off!

Posted by chelone (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 6:26

OK, so someone had to do it and since I'm pondering things equine...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll #500 And... They're Off!

*Applause* 500 is quite impressive folks! Just think of all we've been through in 500 threads ;)

I'm getting ready for day 3 of the new job. Today I learn the system to input all of these host trees we're counting.

So far, so good. Yesterday I went out with a team and got a feel for what the real job will be like. I met some really nice women (there are a lot of women on the job, it seems, which is nice). I felt a little more confident by the end of the day.

Cindy, the rainy season is a tough one when you're ready to go in the garden. It will pass, though, and along will come a heatwave ;)

I'm going to go get this day started. So far work sleep and eat are all I can do. Hopefully I can work in a little fun soon ;)

Saucy

o

Well I'm sure I have pulled 500 million weeds since then. LOL

I like it here.

Rainy, gloomy morning. It snowed a bit too. I want it to dry up so I can paint:(

I don't know how much wall space you have Chelone. Maybe in the stairwell. I can see long narrow shelves with a rail resembleing a paddock fence.

o

# 500 is truly impressive! It would be kind of cool to have originals come back and take a bow, but I suspect it's unlikely. Life moves us forward and onto other things, sometimes kicking and screaming!

How many horses do you have, Chelone? I was pondering how you could display them. Of course, maybe the prettiest thing would be to have some display shelves that are single and circle the room -- or you could do them all in one place, of course. I think I've only got 3 of them; most of the horse models I collected tended to be small and of different medium, ceramic, stone, I've got quite a few small Asian stone or mineral carvings too. As an adult, I think collections are often better displayed with they are dispersed thruout the room they're in - so they become part of the room, rather than separate in one or two areas... My little collection is tucked away in shoeboxes - maybe to be brought out in a few years for Isla's contemplation....My DD was never much impressed - she collected her own things - healing stones and Pollyanna crystals (remember that scene from the movie, where she hangs them in the window? That stuck in DD's head and she had them for years in her own window).

I did manage to buy some pansies and English daisies on Sunday -- but because I knew the temps were going down into the 20s (which they did), they've been living in the Hoover greenhouse -- aka the car trunk..... I'm wondering how many days they can take in there with no light, LOL. I think I'll likely get them out tonite and they can get a good soaking - as long as the temps dont plunge again!

Julie, I meant to say that I thought TCS handled his life lesson very well -- it's tough when we hope they'll be older before unfairness and life's disappointments get them, but I found sadly it happens much earlier than we expect.

Did I mention that Stella loves mulch? Eating and rolling in it that is... what a mess - I'm running after her constantly as she finds some nice wet gooey parts somewhere in the garden and immediately rolls in it and then starts to munch on it - of course, my yelling and commands produce immediate frivolity from her and the chase is on.....I'm still behind in the obdience -- those beatings just aren't effective, Chelone, LOL....I guess I'll have to apply some intelligence, if I've got any left!

Hoping this is the Real beginning of Spring for all of us.

Ok, back to dreaming of the greenest of chandeliers - I just know Deanne's gonna have one -- wish I could figure out a place for one myself! And Kathy -- you've got a place, dont you, on your porch?

--cindy

o

How about some spring for Idyll 500 ? Took these last evening after the awfice. A WALAT !

All the Euphorbias are coming into bloom..

From Garden Spring 2011

Brunnera

From Garden Spring 2011

The Lilies are coming up !

From Garden Spring 2011

A nice combo

From Garden Spring 2011

Lilacs

From Garden Spring 2011

A. 'Chocolate Chip' hangs with the Saucy Leaf..Not very chocolate though .I guess no sun for a month will do that.

From Garden Spring 2011

Enjoy..Kathy in Napa

o

WOW Kathy!
This is spring, Ontario style (on a clear day):

o

I discovered another pathetic patch of snow drops on the north side of Sanitary Ridge yesterday. Two pools of white crocus next to the house are doing their best to bring some cheer to an otherwise bleak scene. It will be bleaker still come tomorrow morning... more snow. Anyone who thinks April isn't a "winter" month in New England is a fool. So, the shots from "away" brighten my day.

We did the annual brush burn yesterday. I returned to find an elderly and decrepit desk stuffed with newspaper and the pieces of the old arbor neatly surrounding it, tee pee style. We soaked it with used paint thinner and some very old gasoline, then we fired a left over Roman candle into it and watched the flames burst forth. Lol. Cheap thrills for two middle aged firebugs. :)

Cindy, Rex has had a bit too much "one on one" time with Daddy, methinks. All of which means that instead of obeying on the first command he stands and looks at you, complete with the "are you talkin' to me?" look. I called him yesterday and he did that... I promptly walked over to him snapped on the leash and we went through the routine. Coming into pleasant weather I simply can't have that sort of behavior with passers by on the road. It ain't OK! I want to see some shots of Stella after quality roll time in the mulch... they can get filthy, can't they?

My model horse collection likely tops 50-60, although I can't recall not having seen it in nearly 35 yrs.! There is not much wall space in the Salon, so like you, Norma, I was thinking about using the stairwell. We toyed with some ideas the other day, including replacing the handsome porcelain light bulb socket in the ceiling with some sort of track lighting that could be directed to wash light over them. It would be nice if you could actually get close to them to appreciate the detail but that may not be possible. And I like the idea of interspersing the collection throughout the room... I agree Cindy, it is nicer to see the collection uninsistantly repeated in a space.

I wonder if Saucy's work clothing includes snow shoes?

That's all she wrote for now.

o

A very gloomy day here, but little Miss Sunshine is here to brighten things up. Yes, that is Reed in the background.

DD is both proud and concerned that she stays up in bed 'reading' for hours at night after her story time. She has taught herself letters O,P and D. Sometimes she is still awake when they go to bed.

I agree about displaying collections. If it is more of a group rather than a large number, then I think it is fine to have them all together. Interspersing the collection throughout the room can be fun, allowing people to "discover" them.

I think Saucy has steel toed boots. Just a guess.

Today I visit my friend the seamstress and another friend with very serious cancer. Wouldn't you know that SHE is the one who cheers ME up. People are amazing.

A plus tard... (later)
'bug

o

Pictures of Ivy always brighten my day. Love the rainbow dress. Not to bring up painful memories but I wonder how Reeds contemplative nature and Ivy's inqisitive one would have played out . How I wish we could see it happen.

Lol the roman candle igniter Chelone.

I think I can smell those lilacs Kathy. I don't have any euphorbias. Perhaps I should.

o

There was a rain delay, today. Seems you can't see the beetle damage while the trunks of the trees are wet. I begin at 10 instead of 7.

The team I'm training with worked all winter, and they have snow shoes in the trunk! I do wear steel toed boots, GB, and a safety vest and hard hat. On the first day a huge limb fell out of a tree, stressing the need for safety.

I am worried about the test I must pass next Friday. We have to positively i.d. damage to host trees. People have told me they failed because they didn't have enough time to finish (it's an 8 hour test!).

It's time for me to pack up and think about leaving. I hope the snow they're predicting shows up as rain because I can't stand the thought of shoveling one more time ;)

Have a nice day, friends! Ivy certainly looks happy. Hopefully she'll quit worrying her mom, soon, though I don't think that ever happens ;)

Saucy

o

Well, I'm glad we have some shots of Spring - Thanks, Kathy!!!! I was about to look for my photos of Last Spring, LOL, to post - on #500- we surely need to celebrate the flowers. The hellebore shots I took w/ the phone camera did not turn out well at all (it's soo easy to upload from there). Sadly, it was pouring when I got home and it's gloomy today - but I aint complaining when I hear that NE is predicted to get 6 to 12 inches of snow - egads, Deanne, a very cruel April Fool's Day "joke" Mother Nature is throwing your way (I know Chelone is calm and ready for whatever comes her way).

Miss Ivy - what a picture - she looks so grown-up there, 'bug - I'd guess her to be 3 or 4 if I didnt know better. I hope to get to Isla's house on Saturday - it's been requested - and am determined to take some pansies and flowers there so will ahve to stop for some more on way home tonite (altho I could take from my selection; but I worked hard to group things together, LOL) -- I'm determined to get DD into plants. I was shocked a couple weeks ago when she inquired how easy peonies were to care for, LOL -- it seems she is looking at their very desolate yard and thinking of rejuvenating it. Sadly, they've got more shade than sun in most places; but I suspect I can give a bunch of volunteer things, altho not as enthusiastically as Laura got into with her DDs' gardens.

Tired and very creaky today - feelin the age for sure - I think it's the weather. I need sun - I'm sure it's somewhere -- Florida maybe?

--Cindy

o

Good morning, taking a break on watering the multitudes of plants in this house.

Kathy, WOWZA!!!! what wonderful and uplifting pics of your spring beauty. Love it, thanks for sharing.

Ivy is such a pretty vivacous looking little sweetheart.

WE are in for a Nor'easter here tonight and tomorrow. I have to reschedule a class yet again, about the fifth time I have to do that this winter/spring. Yesterday they were predicting 6 to 12 inches of snow and they've downgraded it to 3 to 6, thank goodness.

Cindy, I hear you about the waking up tired and cranky whoops, creaky... LOL

Saucy, good luck on the exam..

Waving hello to one and all...
Deanne

o

We have a 'firebug' event in our future. There are so many downed branches to deal with once the sogginess vanishes from the flats. Our firepit contained a baby crib among other things when we arrived here. Soon we need to clear away a mountain of ashes from years past, but not sure where to put them. I'm inclined to fill groundhog holes with them...

Norma, that dress is Ivy's favorite. She wore it for three days running before they could peel it off her. Reed also had his inquisitive side for sure, as well as a mischievous side. It is one of those eternal questions how things might have played out. But thinking about those things is good for us...not to be avoided. Certainly Ivy loves Leo and usually she is gentle with him.

I'm in a quandary about Skyler's birthday. I need to act pretty soon as I've delayed too long in deciding. My temptation is to donate a small sum to a needy cause in his name. He expects everyone to shower him with things..and after his Christmas meltdown, I'm still feeling negatively. More recently he is showing pre-teen signs of working on attitude and not caring about school. I do care about him deeply, but this is a stage I never went through with my own children.

Off to work on things,
'bug

o

500..wow, that is a lot of writing...

Hello everyone! Checking in here from the snowy midwest. We had a whiteout last night. Maybe I need to play some Vivaldi. Skip got home yesterday morning. He was in Tennessee.He is heading back out tommorrow morning. His next project is only about 3 hours from home, so that is good. And, he got a promotion, which means he will be in charge of this next project. The last one was a lot of physical labor, and he lost quite a bit of weight from all the walking and lifting. Some of you were asking about my job interviews. I have had a few different ones so far. Latest was a phone interview for an organic/natural foods distributor. They work with various grocery outlets across the country and are looking for a marketing coordinator. So far, no offers, but the window business is picking up and I sold two jobs last week, plus my fingerprint certificate came back from the state so I am legal to substitute teach. A little late in the year, but I will be all set for next fall in case the window business doesn't do very well. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong in the garden center interviews. I was so used to being around you guys that I thought they were looking for someone with plant knowledge, but now I am thinking they are more concerned with whether or not I can run a cash register. So the last couple of people I talked to, I was just a housewife who likes plants and wants to earn a little extra cash this spring. I think they liked that better, from the body language. But then again, it could be my age or my weight. Who knows???, LOL. They are all going to start hiring in early April. We will see what happens. I do know that I am getting better with practice on all these interviews, and I can't let someone else shake my goal of working with plants, in some capacity. So one way or another, I am going to move into the plant direction. I thought about sending my window customers a letter offering them plant help, shopping(my favorite) or some other sort of consultation. If I can get my succulents to grow babies, I am going to sell them in my front yard or maybe at a farmer's market in a ritzy neighborhood. Lots of ideas, so if I keep trying, something will work out. But, my favorite offer was the one Michelle made. I would love to work with you!!! That would be fun!!

Speaking of which, Michelle I hope you are feeling better or have figured out why you are having chest pain. Taken with a grain of salt and not trying to be give out medical advice, but a friend told me if you have chest pain and you drink a glass of ice water and the pain goes away, it is stress. So now I grab ice water when my chest hurts, either way, water is good for you, so I figure it can't hurt, LOL.

Deanne, that falcon picture is gorgeous. Stinks about having to cancel your class again. This has been some winter. We had a little mini blizzard last year. In 1976 I got married outside in early April. Sean was born in a blizzard April 5, 1982. The food staff had to stay over because their replacements couldn't get in to work. I guess March and April are unpredictable. But enough already!

Woody, glad your class went well. Your design is so beautiful! I don't know if I could ever do something that well.

Yeona, count me in as someone who loves the Abies koreana. I have always loved all confiers, but after the Idyllunion in Chicago and Rich's Foxwillow Pines, I have an expanded appreciation for different species. I had never seen a conifer whole cones pointed up prior to that. The idylls have had a huge impact on my life and my growth as a person, and a gardener.

Bug, Ivy is such a cutie pie. And Sarah is going to be a great soccer coach. Skyler is lucky to have her and your DSIL. I hope he is able to appreciate them at some point. Teenagers aren't always easy, and I this world has really changed in so many ways from when I was a kid. Glad I grew up when I did.

Chelone, I love the Breyer horses. What a nice collection you have. I am sure you will come up with the perfect display. And I LOVE window boxes. Looking forward to seeing yours up.

Kathy, thanks for the spring pics. It gives me hope... strange to know that somewhere hucheras are thriving, lilacs are blooming. I want to be there. And congrats to your son on his continued success in the plays. That is great!

I may have missed someone because of the cut off from this thread to the last one, but hi to those who I may not have mentioned. I am going to go fix lunch. I got very used to not cooking and cleaning up after people these past few weeks. I like cheese and crackers, bean soup, apples, simple food. Everyone is coming for dinner tonight, so I have to get peeling soon. Hope you all stay warm!

Drema

o

It's that cold sunny thing we keep getting, here today. I am looking forward to warm and sunny. As I get older the summers seem to get shorter and shorter. :(

The house cleaning job I had yesterday, went well. I was tripping over painters tilers, and movers, who were tripping over me, but got the work done that I could do. The oven hadn't ever been scrubbed, so as usual, I was upside down, head in the oven. Just me and the fumes, yum. I would have loved to do the unpacking, etc, but I don't think the money was there for it. I'm keeping my rates slightly lower, so I get the work, but I often get people without much money or who are cheap.

I am the quintessential tree and conifer lover. I've been dreaming of a huge foresty garden for years. I also love the dwarf conifers because I can have them now. Well not now now, but next year.

I've been keeping my eye out for this one. Hopefully it won't be too hard to track down.

Here's the website for Palmiters garden nursery, where the pic is from:

http://palmitersgardennursery.com/blog/dwarf-conifers-for-your-troughs-and-rock-gardens

If you search for dwarf conifer gardens on Google images or? you'll find some great mixed gardens using dwarf conifer pictures that are drool worthy.

Chelone, I read the best way to keep a collection interesting and fresh, if you have a large number of items, is to select a certain number to display and put the rest away, for a season or two, and then rotate them. It keeps the numbers down to a manageable amount, and the interest up. It's easier to dust that way, too.

I collected Christmas ornaments for years. I love them all, but do rotate them, so every year I have a different tree. I wish I had three trees to decorate.

Too bad you couldn't pipe the heat in from the brush burning. It sounds like a good sized compound warming blaze.

No beatings here either, for Leah my Golden. ;) She has learned to 'Leave it' without a hitch, belying the phrase, about old dogs and new tricks. There might be hope for me, after all. I might actually learn to do math better.

I forgot to tell you about that 'pink confection'. It's Erica Carnea. A favourite in colour and length of bloom. Of course it's young and small so I did a major close up.

Three cheers for Woody, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray. Congrats on finishing the course.

Norma, Jasmine has lived a good long life, at almost 18, for a cat. Still it's never easy to see them suffering or malingering. I hope she doesn't suffer too much.

Sorry about Bob's not feeling well. I hope the illness ends quickly. Though it sounds like you faired very well, cutting wood and mkaing chilli. I love chilli and don't get it very often. No one else stomach's it well, here. :(

I'm right there with you, re. weed pulling. It's just the price of admission to garden. Hope you get to paint soon.

Cindy, lol re Stella's mulch eating, and rolling around in it. I guess there's some kind of vitamins in the mulch, and the scent must be pleasing, too.

Saucy glad that the job is going well. No matter how tired I am, I'm really pushing myself to do my list of dailies. I do my full work out, write as much as time permits, bead, and walk Leah morning and night. I don't want to lose momentum on these things. I just decided that I'd start as I want to finish.

Kathy, thanks. I am enjoying. And drooling! What a pretty collection of colours. I hope that next year I get to increase my flowers in my garden.

Marie that's one cute little Miss Sunshine. She and Reed look good together.

I used to read into the early hours of the morning as a kid. I still do. :( Hopefully earlier mornings and hard work will straighten my schedule out for once and for all.

Hope your visits go well. Your friend must be an inspiration. I don't know that I would handle it well. Cancer is scary.

Saucy I'm sure you'll do fine on the test, but 8 hours? Wowsa. Tests were like a plague for me, in school because I wrote so slowly. It was the same for Evan. :(

I'd be glad to shovel your place for you. :) I'm trying to work very hard every day, so I can handle back to back jobs. Besides I love and appreciate being fortunate enough to work at all, let alone hard.

Deanne hope the Nor'easter gets downgraded to sun. :)

How do you water your plants. A friend had a long clear tube hose that she hauled around the house. She used a bucked with a long handle to catch drips. Later she actually added a tap on the end, and was very satisfied with the result. It cut her watering time down by 3/4's.

Drema I just figure the right job for you hasn't come along, then. There are so many people applying for these jobs, it boggles the mind. Glad Skip got promoted and is getting whipped into shape. I work for myself and do advertise to help in gardens. Maybe you could hire yourself out, if you don't get enough windows jobs. Do you have craiglist? That's where I advertise.

Well I'm off to repost my ad and do my chores.

Take care all,

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: GARDEN CALENDAR MONTH BY MONTH

o

Miss Mae Surprise looks frighteningly mature. Yikes! And who wouldn't love that dress? I bet she'd love learning how to hand wash it in the sink, wring it out, hang it up, and then set it in the furnace/boiler room so it would be clean, dry, and ready to go the next morning... . Personally, there is nothing more darling than a kid in a very weird outfit that you KNOW only they could have put together; unless of course, it's the mother who wholeheartedly goes along with their selection. Can you say, "fashionista"? Yeah, baby!

Picea omorika has lovely bright fuschia cones, too, Yeona. It's the tree that is to be moved ASAP. I love conifers. They're elegant and so graceful. I would love a blue spruce, too, but siting them properly is difficult on a small lot... and if you like conifers 2 3/4 acres is not a lot of space... esp. if you also covet "full sun".

Drema, you aren't the only one who's benefitted from the plant savvy folk here. I think about so many little things differently because of you guys. I know you will land a dandy job working with plants because (not in spite of!), your extensive knowledge of them. Keep plugging along. If it's any consolation my multi-talented brother has had a dickens of a time finding full-time, "gainful" employment, too. Hang tough!

Woody, kudos to you, my friend. I can't even imagine taking the classes you've taken. I love that you put yourself into them with such commitment. No wonder you're so relieved when the final assignment is handed in. :)

o

Chelone, in this household it is the Father who dictates the fashion sense. Ivy often wears pajamas and her bunny slippers with some other assorted things. ;) Today my friend Claire came up with a year's worth of dresses for her. I'm dumbfounded! I'll have to share a few over the next little while, on the Nana thread.
Cindy, don't forget the camera when you whip over to Isla's, OK?

o

Happy April Fools! at least it's Friday - whew (they couldnt change that on us at least)..... the NE Snow storm isnt much to joke at either is it?

'bug, while I think Ivy's fashion sense is great, if her Dad dictates her fashion style, I have visions of her starting school in her bunny slippers, LOL - and dear as that is to us, I suspect it would not make the hit parade at school... I applaud independence and free thinking, but for young un's it really is tough if one is a free spirit amongst the many - I think part of life is learning the rules and when to go with them or when to break 'em; otherwise it's a very very tough road to hoe. I recall at least one year when my DD as a 9 year old insisted on wearing everything khaki or black so as not to be "different" or stick out at school..... I did think I would try to recall to take my camera or ask for some insta-shots - Isla is cute, even if she's "bald"....

Drema, I think it's a wonderful testament to Skip's work ethic that he went with the "grunt" stuff to get a job, and already the company has seen his worth and skilll and promoted him (and I hope more $$ goes along with that promotion if not now, at some later point). You both have amazing perserverance -- and yes, ugly and (weird!!) as job interviews are, they do seem to get easier as one goes with them, and we get smarter at interpreting the hints of what they're looking for. I personally hate job interviews just for that reason -- it's all a "crap shoot" and you're basically playing a game to find and play to what the employer thinks they want - some short-sighted folks like that garden center (who could have easily asked - can you handle a cash register?) stupidly overlook the more important qualities of customer service, friendly, helpful sales people, and ones with knowledge in their field.... Their loss - if that's what they choose to hire - a robot who does cash registers, they wont succeed.

Golly, I could not even list all the things I've learned from folks here - personally and garden-wise. It's been an amazing journey and I hope it continues for years to come.

Can we hope Saucy is not having to do an 8-hour test today because of weather? Egads, that sounds very strange for it to be that long, Saucy. Good luck whenever you do take it.

I believe there are several conifer lovers here -- in my landscape I need miniature - dwarf is even too large,lol. I still look and covet tho.

Hoping to grab Sunday in the garden and get to hard work there... they're even talking about it might hit 80 degrees here on Tuesday -- talk about extremes...

TGIF everyone.

-Cindy

o

5" of mashed potatoes in the driveway, although the road is now clean. It's cold, though and will remain so tomorrow. It's OK because it has to be.

I put a coat of primer on each side of the canvas for my next floorcloth. The first coat is always the hardest because the wet paint begins to shrink the canvas and you have to be mindful to not crease the cloth as you apply the paint. I was interested to note the extent of the shrinkage; about 6" down the selvedge but only about 2" on the cross grain. The next coats will not be so tedious. This one is going to be square, and I'm using 96" goods, so I think the final size will be in the 87" range. I would like to try a pattern called, "Tumbling Blocks" but am not certain I have the geometry fully worked out just yet. I see the layout of the field as the most taxing part of the project... there will be ample opportunity to screw it up!

Great attitude on the job interview process, Drema. It's been a long time since I've been on one, usually the ones I go on include a stitching test. You and Skip have certainly circled the wagons and taken care of business. Outstanding.

The wireless printer is hooked up by way of the skilled alchemy of BIL. I need to reorganize the area for more efficiency and make a "tea cozy" to keep the dust off the printer. I'll have to check the stash for something suitable. :)

Looking forward to hearing about Saucy's test and more about the new job.

The Korean rhodo. has been utterly destroyed. I am really angry about the oversight having asked repeatedly that some protection for it be devised last fall. I was even more infuriated by the flip, "well, we'll just replace it". It had nearly 2 full years of growth on it and was just attaining nice size. I'll get over it, but it flowers early and that's such a nice treat.

o

I love the 'tubling blocks' pattern Chelone - go for it!
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

And then there's this amazing stuff...

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Denevan

o

An all-garden weekend is on the books, the chance of precipitation tomorrow is slight (20%) and this will be the first weekend since feb that has not featured rain. Just in cas I dug up an old lavender tonight after work- when they get woody and crappy looking I s/p and replace with another.' Otto Quast' is the newbie ,a stachys cultivar �these are nice to have here as they are by far the most generous rebloomers. In addition I have quite a few plants that need installation. We could still have a late frost so I have to be selective. And the weeds !

Yeona, love you r conifer pics-we are really at the end of the range for the cool conifers to be found in the PNW. I have to be content with a few mundane cultivars. I would love to get a couple more dwarfs as I have space for those. Re Gypsy vs JC Superstar..I don't really compare them as they are in 2 different genres to me, though they are both 'musical theater' . JC is a rock opera , 'Gypsy' is a musical comedy . 'Gypsy' is also one of Sondheim's early works, and we are Sondheim people here at the Kathy House . So , if I had a ticket for both on the same night , I would probably choose based on cast.

Chelone, where will this new floor cloth go ? Is it for the Salon ? Your ability to do stuff like this continues to please me - I guess it's a matter of 'knowing the ropes' but I think there is also an inherent talent that some of us (aka me ) just don't have. Consider my cap tipped.

Drema, what everyone said -when we were hiring for the garden center this winter , the manager was specifically looking for people with plant knowledge and people skils..outgoing , friendly etc.. you'd have fit the bill on all counts !

OK, this baseball game is getting down to wire so I need to go pay some attention-waves to all !

Kathy in Napa

o

Morning all, well we got about six inches of very heavy, wet snow yesterday and this morning the ground is still covered with the white stuff. Boo, hiss... But supposed to be sunny and 50 today so that should take care of it and tomorrow will be a good garden day. Perhaps I'll have to do a bit of spring house cleaning today, maybe wash windows.

The billions of plants in the house are all looking pretty good after their winter indoors and I'm sooooo ready to get them outside, Another six weeks or so and we'll be in full swing here. The Garden Conservancy Open Days catalog came yesterday and it was such a kick to see our garden listed. Fun stuff but lots of work to do between now and July. When I was WALATING before the latest snow storm I found the Driveway Garden was riddled with rodent holes. I have no clue what's left in there but it doesn't look good. Crossing my fingers that the rodents left the hostas in the back garden alone. I won't know until I see their new growth unfurl.

Kathy, I'm so jealous you're going to be able to have a gardening weekend. Hoping you have more pics of your spring gardens for us soon... About all I have here are a few crocus. The Hellebores are trying but the weather hasn't cooperated.

Woody, did you knit that sweater???? Incredible! What a beauty, love it

Chelone, so sorry about your Korean Rhododendron. It's always such a disappointment when we find winter damage to favorite plants.

Cindy, 80! I'd melt trying to work outside in those temps as we really havent' even seen 70's yet

Yeona, love that conifer with the red cones! beautiful

Drema, congratulations on Skip's promotion and best of luck with your job search.

Bug, do you have bonfire parties when you burn the debris? We used to have chili and cornbread (and of course adult beverages) up at my brother's when he had a 'burn'.

Time to run, have a great day everyone!
Deanne

o

I love that sweater, Woody. Thanks for posting it, it illustrates "Tumbling Blocks" nicely. I will play with the geometry again today, this time at full scale and noting the key measurements that will facilitate snapping the grid easily. After that, it will simply be a process of careful marking for the 3 color scheme in the field. (Yeah right).

Time to slather on the first of what I hope will be multiple coats of primer today. I have the stove fired up, so it will be warm and DRY in the Salon and that ought to facilitate drying.

Yes, Kathy, this one will be for the Salon. I'm not sure it will be quite large enough to do what I want it to do, but if not I'll just find a new place for it. :) I want to be being playing with some upholstery work and the idea was to use the floorcloth as an easily cleanable surface under the projects. We'll see about that. Everyone has talent for things like floorcloths, the key is to start small, begin with a plan in mind and allow yourself permission to make mistakes. That's all.

It's going to be a beautiful day here by the looks of things. I may even try to get some stain on the window boxes, depending on how warm it gets today.

o

Deanne - yes, I made that sweater for Randy - in 1997! It's still going strong - very good quality wool. It took me months to do it - a gazillion ends to sew in... (I did the sewing-in as I went along because I figured I'd never finish it if I left them all to the end!)

Chelone - what colors are you going to use? When I made the sweater, I debated whether to keep it to one set of light-medium-dark colors or go for multi-colored. I decided on going for mostly sort of autumn shades. Randy thought it was pretty gaudy when I was knitting it! He loved it once it was finished though. I did a Google search on 'Kaffe Fassett knitting tumbling blocks' (I modified a Kaffe Fassett pattern when I made the sweater) to see what other variations people had come up with. The nicest quasi-monochrome ones are the ones in cool/blue-ish shades I think. So something in the cool tones of the Salon should be gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: knitted tumbling blocks

o

I have a ton of paint lovingly stockpiled on the Compound, Woody. Most of it is the left over stuff from painting the house (20 yrs.!). I periodically give it a shake/stir and it's stored in airtight containers and never frozen so I know it's still "viable". So, my resolve is to use what I have on hand. In plenty:
1.) beige/buff
2.) very deep gold (an "Ooops!" from Orange)
2.) "tomato red" (from the master and en suite)
4.) soft peach/coral

I'm thinking of the beige/buff for the ground coat, and then using the gold and the red for the 3D effect. I have enough paint to replace the red and gold with things in the following palette:
1.) very deep puce/dusky purple
2.) an assortment of dusky tourquoises
3.) peaches or cantaloupe ;)

I have to be careful because a lot of the paints are alkyd and that dictates that I must use oil-based polyurethane to seal the whole piece. Oil based products "yellow" with age, and the "finish" requires the most coats. So the "final" color palette is always a bit of a wild card, wherein lies the fun, I think.

I am aiming for a formal effect, clean and simple. I want the lines of the pattern shown to good effect.

o

One thing I did when making the sweater was to make a list of all the colors and then keep track of which ones I used each time I started a diamond. I kept track of the large diamonds separate from the small ones. I wanted to make sure I wasn't over-using any one color for any shape. I chose about 20 colors to include in the sweater and wanted to use them more or less evenly. I used all colors for both shapes. If you are doing a l-m-d and only using some colors for certain shapes, that might make it easier. How big will the blocks be? (i.e. how many blocks in total?) If there's going to be a lot, you probably need to come up with a way to manage the color usage; eye-balling it might not be enough.

o

I've seen this pattern used very effectively with the simple 3 color scheme. And I'm presently playing with the proportions of the pattern. 9 1/8" squares yields a diagonal measurement of 13 1/2" and that will work well with the finished size I desire. It will yield 6 repeats across and down the goods with the "extra" used as a border. So that makes 36 basic chequers before carving them into the sections that create the "stepped" effect. (I think!). I think doing the basic chequer layout and then adding the dimensional sub-blocks starting at the center of the piece (and using tape to denote colors) may be the most effective way to ensure correctness in the plan.

I think the real key to creating something that looks formal is to "keep it simple stupid" and pay attention to details in the execution of the project. Lines should be crisply executed and acute angles should be sharp and tidy. Funnily enough, I'm less concerned about the color selection. I have never been one to obsess about whether or not this color "goes" with that one; those rules were never worthy of pursuit.

It is absolutely beautiful today. I walked to town and while I'm definitely "feelin' it", it was a nice way to get some exercise and do an errand. The mashed potatoes are vanishing with every passing minute. (I'm not sad about that).

I've laid down another coat of primer and I think there is enough left in the pail for one more. I'm pretty sick of washing the roller pan. With any luck and great intestinal fortitude I'll polish the priming off tonight. (That'll be 4 coats on the face and 2 on the underside).

o

Nice day here today. I attended the memorial for Wyatt and Jacobs other grandpa by myself today as Bob is in the constant cough and blow stage of a miserable cold. He kept us both awake all night. The service was nice and he had military honors as well. Taps being played always gets me. There were bagpipes too.

I had to take a short nap when I got home because of the lost sleep last night. I was hoping to get the primer on the barn doors but before I finished sanding some of the neighbor kids stopped by on their horses and visited so it got to late to paint. Rebel didn't quite know what to make of the horses being in his driveway as opposed to the field he sees them in when we walk to the mailbox.
It was funny because I saw a horsetrailer as I went through town this morning and was thinking it would be a good day for riding.

I'm getting a scratchy throat. I'm hoping it's just allergies and not what Bob has.

The Texas Quince is opening their blooms. I need to move some of that near some forsythia or Mellow Yellow spirea that is blooming right now too.

Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer but very windy. I'ts a good thing I can paint inside the barn.

Michelle,good to hear you had a good day in the garden.

Deanne good to see you here too. You have lots to look forward to. Can't wait to see what you do with all those plants this year. I haven't got all the leaves off all the beds yet and I'm wondering if the voles or chippies have got to my hostas. I hope not.

o

What an awesome day. I'm sure it was around 60 degrees. So I played in the garden all day. The patio garden looks great. I spent a little time in a few other areas as well. I'm beat though.

Chelone, I'm curious about the floor cloth. I was thinking that you had painted a lovely pattern on the floor up there. Is this going in another area?

Woody, that sweater looks incredibly difficult - great job!

Deanne, I realized the other day that I can now count the weeks until the indoor plants go out. I'm so ready. How cool to be on the Garden Conservancy tour. I hope you don�t have too many holes. I'm sure it will all be quite fabulous!

We don't have any snow except in our pasture and along the north sides of a lot of the farm groves. It just piles up so high in those places that it takes quite a while to melt.

Drema, the abies reminded me too of Rich's Foxwillow Pines as well. What a fabulous nursery and his personal garden was wonderful too.

Norma, I've never been to a funeral where bagpipes were played but it sounds like a lovely idea.

Kathy, nice to see so nice to see the lovelies from yourgarden.

'bug, what a colorful little princess. Kenzie likes colorful clothing too. We picked out a new bikini and ended up with a multi-colored polka dot one with lime green trim.

Just got back from the home improvement store. I found some violas and short pale yellow columbine for the pillar pots for early spring. I also got a leaf blower, vac and shredder and a garden cart.

It's late and I'd best wrap this up.

Michelle

o

All this Idyll needs is a birthday!

Happy Birthday Drema...

(this photo was taken at Tower Hill, Fall 2010)

o

o

o

o

o

Happy Birthday Drema !!

From cottage gardens 09

o

Awww, you guys are just the best!!!! Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures and sentiments!!! It touches my heart to have found such a fabu :) group of people in this world. If I have to thank the internet for only one thing, it would be you. My birthday was a nice low key day, just the way I like it. No hustle and bustle. This morning I worked outside for a couple of hours, walating, planning and raking. It started raining a little, normally I don't mind being in the rain, but it was cold too. Some of you may remember that we have a ton of birthdays around here the first week in April, Skip is out of town, so we are having the parties next weekend. Today is also my 35th wedding anniversary. Yep, got married on my birthday..what was I thinkin'??? :) Sean couldn't wait to give me his present, he got me a Kindle, and my sister Beth and my mom gave me a bunch of pink garden tools. I am a lucky gal all the way around.

Drema

o

Well I'll be! In the last 15 minutes, winter has returned. Everything is very white all of a sudden. I wasn't expecting it. The visibility is around zero. So it is especially nice to see all the birthday photos.

I have decided to contribute to a Haitian cause for Skyler's gift. I'll also send along some URLs of interesting things for him to check out...like the Jim Denevan site I posted above and a few others. He may not even notice that it isn't a big box full of electronic games... You think? ;)

I began knitting a scarf that is worked sideways. 450 stitches to a row! I wonder if it will take weeks or months or years to complete...

This is a knit topped dress for guess who! A friend made it.

I have also tried knitting a dress top and will see if it works out as well as this one. They're fun to make.

DH has been working on figuring out pension plans and taxes all day. Oddly enough, he's in a fine mood!

Sarah had a hockey tournament this weekend. I wonder how it went... The family was spending a couple of nights at a hotel to watch her play. Her BIL was also taking part.

It really looks like a fairy land outside!!!
'bug

o

This is from the archives, we're about 2-3 wks. away from this sort of scenery. But it's my birthday wish for Drema;

We did some work with the firewood yesterday and my new gloves are pink! They actually are pretty good, sized for "girls" but constructed sturdily enough for heavy work. They're "Tuff Chicks". Lol. You'll have to look for some of those to go with your snazzy new tools, Drema.

Grim and cloudy here this morning, not sure how much work we'll be able to do outdoors today. I can always work on my floorcloth. (It will go over the floor in an area of the Salon, Michelle.) I'm ready to lay out the pattern, having labored long and hard over it. I called in the helpmeet and ran my ideas by him, and interestingly, he had a rather different approach to the lay out. It's interesting how two minds can assess a problem so differently, yet arrive at a suitable solution. My idea had the arithmetic and the geometry addressed properly and was the primary motivation, but his idea made connecting the dots considerably easier, minimizing the likelihood of flubbing the pattern. The color scheme is, again, a real departure for me. I think it will work nicely. ;)

I love the dress with the knitted top and the ivy skirt. :) Any chance there will be crisp white ankle socks and black patent leather shoes involved? (didn't think so). Good move on Skyler's birthday gift. I'm sure he will be shocked and probably disappointed at first, but he needs to have his perspective on things tweaked a little.

The mashed potatoes are gone. :) But the ground is too sodden for raking and it makes getting down on the ground for clean up less than pleasant. But the crocus are hanging in there, bless their little cotton socks. So all is not bleak.

o

Lovely pics for Drema everyone, Chelone, I LOVE your spring pic. sooo pretty to see those delicate flowers on the rough bark. Great juxtaposition.

Bug, wonderful little dress. Just the sort of thing I love for little girls.

Drema, glad you had a great BDay, you got married on your birthday???!!! so happy anniversary to you and Skip too!
Deanne

o

Happy Birthday Drema.

"The Earth Laughs in Flowers."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What grows in the garden, so lovely and rare? Roses and Dahlias and people grow there."
- From the TV show A Gardener's Diary

"And if you voz to see my roziz
As is a boon to all men's noziz, -
You'd fall upon your back and scream -
'O Lawk! O criky! it's a dream!'"
- Edward Lear, 1885

"It is at the edge of a petal that love waits."
- William Carlos Williams

"With a few flowers in my garden, half a dozen pictures and some books, I live without envy."
- Lope de Vega

"I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers.
- Claude Monet

Some of my favourite garden poems and quotes.

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers (Quotes and Poems)

o

LOL, Drema -- Happy Birthday and Anniversary -- sheesh - you were feeling very optimistic to choose the same day, LOL - I'm glad it's worked out so well for you and Skp. I hope you have a great week, even if it's quiet. I refuse to pull out an old photo of the garden - I'll have to try to grab one tonite when I get home from our 70s degree day here.

I was working too hard yesterday in the garden to think about taking photos; I seem to have trouble recalling to do that.

Wow, Woody - that is a cool sweater -- I've seen that pattern often used in quilts too - it's such a terrific mind-bending one -- I can see you using it very effectively Chelone.

Deanne - I got my Open Days directory and it was indeed neat to see your gardens written up - I think I learned a thing or two about its history too. Cant wait to see how you turn it out this year for the big Days.

Well, I did manage an entire Isla day (who wouldnt hold her smile long enough for me to snap it - it was a 2-second delay - she'd flash it and I'd end up with a photo of the aftermath - I have about 6 photos that are identical - no smile, LOL).

It was windy and chilly yesterday but I perserved and got a lot done - Stella looked like a grey/beige wild dawg w/ a black chin and mouth by the end of it - she just loves rolling and eating the places where I remove mulch and leave the wet, dark, dank dregs... she wipes the rest up for me.... o me. I think we may need an outside shower for her installed.

Here's the Isla --

Her Mommy got this one that shows off the elf smile:

I'll put a couple others on the nana thread.

O, sigh, Happy Monday?

-Cindy the Creaky

o

And a cute smile it is Isla.

Happy Birthday and anniversary Drema. At least you did get to go outside for a little while.

We had 90 degree windy weather yesterday. This morning we had a hailstorm and temps have dropped all day still with the wind so it's pretty darn chilly. My Japanese Maple is trying to leaf out and the hail knocked some of them off. Some of the dogwoods are getting close too.
I decided to get this pigsty cleaned up so I could get back to painting or gardening tomorrow. I needed to give the primer coat 24 hours dry time anyway. I have not painted with anything oil based in a long time. By the time I was done the smell was really getting to me.

My daylilies are really putting on growth but so are the weeds.

Bob is still coughing ,coughing, coughing. I'm am starting that too, but I'm pretty sure mine is alergies. More of a scratchy throat. His is in his chest.

My computer is behaving badly. I've done what I can to clean it up. It may need a professional hand.

Jacob had a job interview at Sonic ( fast food place) after school today. I wonder how it went.

Oh yes, Bug that is a cute dress for Ivy too.

Wishing everyone spring. Norma

o

Not much to report here; since I have vacation next week I am trying to get all my ducks in a row at the awfice, no easy task when you are a buyer for a garden center in the first week of the spring selling season. I have my itinerary all mapped out, and really excited about visiting Lotusland again;,this time as a member and thus docent-free. I should be able to get much better photos this year. Hoping for some coastal overcast too !

I'm going to also take a day to drive into LA to the Getty Museum, more really interesting gardens there as well. And of course there is a list of garden centers to visit !

Cindy, what a sweet little girl you have there !

Ok, sorry for the brevity, but it's bedtime here , waves to all and hope to have time for more leisurely posts in a couple of days..

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Getty Museum and Gardens

o

Okay - I'm going to start this day off with a -- back later but for now

Happy Birthday, Kathy!!! Hope it's a great day.

And I did take a few garden photos and now owe you and Drema one - hopefully to load tonite at home (almost impossible to do anymore at awfice).

Happy Spring Birthdays!
(p.s. I think that's a great way to celebrate -- off to the Getty and its wonderful museum and gardens!).

-cindy

o

Happy Birthday Kathy!!! It sounds like you are going to have a fun time!!! I loved the succulent pic you posted for my birthday, so thought you might enjoy this one. I tried to pull the colors of the succulent into the pot.

Happy Birthday Babs!! This is a picture I took at the last idyllunion. This was taken at a garden center Kathy told me about. Hope you are having a great day!!!

o

Hope the Birthday girls are having a great day.

Yeona

o

o
More Birthday Wishes....

o

Happy Birthday and Happy Spring to Kathy, Babs and Denise!!!

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Happy Belated, Drema!

Happy Birthday, Kathy!

And

Happy Birthday, Denise!

May everyone have Lovely Sunny Spring Days.

--Cindy

o

Happy Birthday Denise!! Didn't know I missed you. By the Way, I rented Green Card on your recommendation so I could see the green. It was a snowy day and the green was quite welcome! Hope it was a fun one!! This is my backyard today, so you can see what you are missing out there in sunny California :)

o
Thank you!

Thank you all for the lovely pictures, and also for the beautiful quotes Yeona! All this happy colorful sentiment lifts the spirit!! And means so much.

Hope you all have a wonderful evening. We are supposed to hit 78 degrees Sunday. Can that be right???

Drema

o

Green Card...I remember the beautiful greenhouse and Gerard Depardieu...

o

My new job is fun, but tiring. I am hoping the energy levels will pick up when my body gets used to the new pace. I'm seeing lots of fun things: pileated woodpeckers, a sunning snake, a territorial swan, and a rabid raccoon. The trees are interesting too.

Today is a big 8 hour test on tree i.d. and targeting beetle damamge. My strategy is to skip lunch, so I have filled my pockets with snacks. Many people reported running out of time for the test.

Not much else is going on in my life. Right now it's just a struggle to get the trash out to the curb and go to work. I did get to go flower shopping with my neighbor the other day, as we don't work in the rain. I planted pansies and violas around my front stoop and they make me smile as I come in from work. They're quite fragrant, too, which is a nice surprise.

Hope to be able to check in better on the weekends and rainy days!

Saucy

o

Wow! I miss a couple days and I missed a couple birthdays... not much time today as I'm teaching so have to get in gear here but wanted to drop in and leave some birthday greetings

o

I love birthdays, but I'm perennially "a day late and a dollar short". I'm basically "good with that" or I'd change things, right?

I humbly offer the following assortment:

If the missed birthdays were half as great as my day was today, you guys are definitely in "high cotton". Party down!

o

Thumbs up Chelone!

o

Chelone, your skills are amazing!!!! There is no way I would attempt that, and if I did, it would not look like yours. Hats off!!
Drema

o

Very impressive! I'd be afraid to walk on it though... Aside from not wanting to get it dirty, the optical illusion would really mess up my head/balance! :-)

o

Hi everyone, I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted. I do get to know what's going on with most of you but it's still nice to visit here too.

Chelone, that floor cloth is amazing. What a lot of work and what a great job your doing on it. I love it.

Woody, that sweater is pretty impressive too. I may have missed you talking about your class but I'm wondering how it went? Seems like it should be close to being over about now? I bet you learned a lot.

I see Miss Ivy looking like a cheerful rainbow too! Cute!

And I had seen a few photos of sweet little Isla but there are a few more here. Cindy, I believe I see a bit of a resemblance to her grandma. How old is she now? She looks like maybe a bit older than Julia who will be five months in a few days.

We made it through one birthday bash since I was last here. Bella turned 6 end of February. It's hard for me to believe she's that old all ready. She had a big party which she invited all of her classmates to at a place called Pump It Up. Lots of things to jump on/in and slide down and then we finished up with pizza and cupcakes. She had a ball. Now Jennifer and I are busy planning Kate's second birthday later this month. In addition to a family party she's having a small Dora (her favorite) party with a few of her little friends. We're planning a few simple crafts and games and a Dora pinata. It's designed for little ones so they just have to pull strings for it to open instead of breaking it. I've also started working on some decorations. Lots of fun planning parties for the little ones. Oh and my "baby", David", will be 25 tomorrow. That's really hard for me to believe too!

I've gotten in a total of about two hours of garden clean up done so far. Mother Nature just won't cooperate this year. I was looking at photos from last year and I had all my garden clean up done by April 1st and so many things in bloom. Not the case this year though. Soon I hope.

So many beautiful birthday cards here on this thread too. I believe I extended my birthday wishes to everyone but Denise. So Happy Birthday Denise! I found some peonies in one of my albums from '09 that I thought you might like.

That's all from me for now. Hope you're all able to get out in your gardens this weekend. It's looking like I might if the weathermen are telling the truth....

Eden

o

Hola Idylls..
A big thanks for the cool greetings and cards . And Drema , I have to comment on the succulent pot combo-nice ! I have tried diligently to stay under the radar for years but my awfice-mates will have none of it. We had a delish breakfast buffet complete with chorizo and eggs, and fresh berries lemon curd..We know how to live !

Since then I have been working diligently on prep for my road trip to SoCal on Sunday. Got the oil changed and fluids checked today, tommorow is packing, food shopping/cooking and any household chores before I set off. I splurged for an ocean view room , so I will pack an ice chest to avoid the extra expense of eating out. Not much I can do about the gas though..oy.

Chelone, that floor cloth..really splendid !

Hi Eden ! No clue who 'Dora' is, but I trust that the event will be up to your usual standards of excellence.

Ok, sorry I need to bail out so soon, but stuff to do ! Waves !

Kathy in Napa

o

Hola Idylls..
A big thanks for the cool greetings and cards . And Drema , I have to comment on the succulent pot combo-nice ! I have tried diligently to stay under the radar for years but my awfice-mates will have none of it. We had a delish breakfast buffet complete with chorizo and eggs, and fresh berries lemon curd..We know how to live !

Since then I have been working diligently on prep for my road trip to SoCal on Sunday. Got the oil changed and fluids checked today, tommorow is packing, food shopping/cooking and any household chores before I set off. I splurged for an ocean view room , so I will pack an ice chest to avoid the extra expense of eating out. Not much I can do about the gas though..oy.

Chelone, that floor cloth..really splendid !

Hi Eden ! No clue who 'Dora' is, but I trust that the event will be up to your usual standards of excellence.

Ok, sorry I need to bail out so soon, but stuff to do ! Waves !

Kathy in Napa

o

Eden - yes, the course is finished now. It was a lot of work and I considered dropping it several times - not because I couldn't do the work, but because it was so time-consuming. I managed to stick it out and did quite well (final mark 94...) While I learned to use the software, I concluded it's not terribly useful for my garden (easier to continue to do the planning in my head!) A couple of friends have asked me to use it to play with their gardens while I still have access to the program. We're not allowed to use it for commercial purposes on the student license but I assume playing with friends' gardens won't count as commercial, so I'll probably do that.

We haven't done any garden clean-up here yet because we are still getting below-freezing night-time temperatures. We might do a little bit later today - I want to get some shaping pruning done on the Chinese wisteria. I think I'll stick the cut off bits into water to see if I can 'force' them into bloom... There are a lot of crocuses etc. in bloom out there now so I hope to get some pictures today too as I'm behind on the birthday cards :-)

o

Dora The Explorer, right?

Kathy, how long will it take you drive to SoCal? Will you take the (allegedly) gorgeous coastal drive down or will you bring 'er up to speed on some horribly dreary "federal" interstate, set the cruise, and well... cruise? I had a delightful drive north on the right coast yesterday. Forgot to charge the battery in the camera, though. Don't forget to do that, OK?

I think birthday parties are fabulous. Good food, a "special" atmosphere, and a few party games/favors. What could be more fun? Wouldn't it be a gasser to have an official, "dress up" Idyll birthday party?

Like you, Eden, spring has not yet sprung in my neck o' the woods, either. Today is really lovely and it's warmer than it's been in a long time. Sweatshirt weather if you're outdoors and active.

Crocus are open, Narcissus are well up, but only those nearest the foundation dare to open. Snow drops on the way by, Chionodoxa are doing their thing, but that's about it.

Woody, good thing I haven't opted to put that pattern on the stair treads, huh? ;) Properly finished floorcloths are really amazingly durable. I have one that's probably 15 yrs. old and all we do is vacuum it. The one in the kitchen sees more "action" and it's looking pretty beat, but that one is close to 12 yrs. old and sees very hard use. The big one under the table is showing some wear at the door to the deck but it's 8 yrs. old and I've never rotated it, so I can't fault the finish.

Drema, you start with the easier stuff. ;) The pattern repeat on this one isn't perfect... I actually flubbed the layout, but now I see the error and will be able to correct it the next time I use this pattern. The key is to be neat and precise and you are definitely more than capable, my dear!

Note to self: I need to address my paint brush arsenal! I need to purchase a variety of brushes that will allow me to paint along the edges of blocks with ease. Presently, I outline the area with a brush and then use a larger one to fill in the field. But I'm using crappy brushes and need to get some nice ones. Deanne? Drema? anyone else?

OK, back to painting.

o

6 hours Chelone, for my journey tommorow - a very easy drive especially on Sunday morning since the usual east bay traffic and around about San Jose will be blissfully non-existant. The first 1-1/2 hours or so is city freeway driving, after that it's agriculture , rolling hills and the central coast wine country. Most of the trip is a bit inland from the coast -unless you take Highway 1 , which is the beautiful coastal route, but very very slow , compete with hair pin turns . The really beautiful part of our coast here is central California (Big Sur etc) and north.

Grocery is checked off the list, laundry is IP and packing has started.

Kathy, still in Napa

o

Chelone, I'm impressed that you know of Dora, lol! I agree about making birthdays special. I love birthday parties, especially for the little ones. I love seeing the joy and wonderment on their little faces. The drudgeries and ugliness of life will find them soon enough. I try to make things as special and fun for them as I can, even on regular days. Brad says I live in a fairytale world, lol. Works for me :)

Oh and Chelone, I was reading about your horse collection. If you don't have too many, individual shadow boxes would be a way to go. That way you could showcase each piece instead of them all being lined up on a shelf. Just a thought....

Kathy, the plans for your vacation sound wonderful. I enjoy just going for car rides so the drive alone sounds great to me. Relax and enjoy!

Woody, not surprised that you percervered through the class and excelled at it to boot! Good for you! Even if it's something you won't use often you were excercising your brain. And that's something we all need, especially as we get older.

Brad and I took Dave out to lunch for his birthday earlier since Brad had to leave for work by 2pm. It's not a stellar day for outdoor work, cloudy and chilly, but it's supposed to warm up through the afternoon to 60F (only 47 now)so I'm hoping to get out in an hour or so and finish cleaning up the front gardens at least. I always try to get the front done first since it makes me feel good when I drive up and things look nice. Hope you're all having a relaxing Saturday too.

Eden

o

Hey, I support PBS and NPR! I know about "Arthur", and another cartoon with a real smart girl (hispanic), along with "Saddle Club" (I think), a show about horses and pre-teen/teen girls from Australia. I'm not crazy about "Curious George", but I don't watch it that often. I used to dig "Teletubbies", too. YUP! lol.

I'm a huge proponent of exercising your brain. And I think exercising the "creative" muscle is really, really important. Everyone is innately creative. The trouble is that it gets beaten out of us at virtually every step of the way. The emphasis it seems, is too often on "conforming"/"fitting in", and there is great benefit in knowing how to do that, too. But creativity is fragile and must be protected and nutured. Any 1st.-3rd. grader will be all over rhyming and making up a poem. But by the time they're 5th. graders they've somehow managed to learn that there is "good" poetry and theirs probably won't be "good enough". And the over-riding fear of "not good enough" smothers creativity. How sad.

I don't draw very much, perspective frustrates me, and I've not worked on it since 8th. grade. But I have a good eye for color and have found ways to harness that creative aspect effectively by selecting media where that is "front and centre", and an ability to draw well is not.

I think learning music offers the same portal to creativity. You don't have to play an instrument or sing to enjoy it... you can always dance.

OK, time to knock off the taupe portion of the floorcloth. I've been at this since about 7 AM, and I'm running out of steam.

o

I was surprised when Jen told me that Kate had learned all her letters simply from watching some of those PBS shows, Chelone. When she was here last week I randomly held up the magnetic letters we keep on the refrigerator and sure enough, she knew all but two. She also has learned to count in a couple languages the same way. And children's creativity and imagination always blow me away. I love to craft with Bella for that reason. You're right, she's so free thinking, no right or wrong. We always listen to either classical music or show tunes, usually on Pandora these days, when we're working too. Another thing I like to do is go into her room after she's been playing and has left. The way she's set up the toys she's been playing with, whether her doll house, a tea party, legos, whatever is just the coolest thing to see. She uses such creativity in her play and puts things together in ways I'd never think to do. I, myself have recently been doing a lot of collage type art, what's called altered art or art assemblages. So relaxing and fun to just get creative and make something.

o

Idyll break time !

Inside of the vehicle is vacuumed and 'dusted', and I'll wash it when the sun is off the driveway. I can't stand going on road trips in a messy car. And in a fun new development, I was able to get Denise into Lotusland as my 'guest' so she will drive up and meet me there ..

Woody, kudos to you for hanging in and finishing the course ..Hopefully we'll 'see' you more often now that you have graduated !

Packing continues�

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Lotusland

o

Well, as much as I'm checking in here today, it's obvious that the weather hasn't cooperated with my gardening plans. I did just finish sowing a flat of seeds though. I was holding off to have Bella's help but these are things I'll put under lights and need to get going asap. We're doing a mini veg garden with dwarf varieties. I was surprised how many different veggies come in miniature size now. I'm just sowing the tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. Bella and Kate can sow the rest in the garden or in milkjugs outside when it gets a bit warmer. I got them each a pair of "wellies" and some garden gloves yesterday. For some reason their little ones are much cuter than my big old ones, lol.

As I was sowing I was thinking more on the subject of children and creativity. One thing I'm not sure I'm on board with is "lessons" in all this stuff at such a young age. My grandkids (Bella, Kate and even Wally)are involved in taking dance, music, art, sports and on it goes. They even have scheduled "play dates". They really do enjoy it all but I often wonder if all the scheduling and busyness is a good thing. I dunno. Just thought it would be interesting to hear what all of you think on the subject.

Kathy, come clean my car? :) I agree a clean car is a must for an enjoyable trip. How cool that Denise will be joining you. You're going to have a blast!

Eden

o

I'll weigh in on the "lesson" thing. I went to camp for 2 wks. one summer. It was OK, and it was fun, but I vividly recall it was too much like school. Every minute supervised (obviously it had to be) and every minute structured. When asked if I wanted to go back the next year, my response was an unfettered, NO! It was so much more fun to be "at home" during the summer. Everything was relaxed, we went barefoot, we ate when we wanted, and were outdoors nearly all day long. We did artsy-fartsy stuff when it rained or when we were tired of the sun and fresh air.

I think lessons are wonderful, but I think they should be introduced after a real enjoyment in something has been shown. I think it's silly to have 4 yr. olds in ballet classes... better to my mind to have them in tumbling, line and circle dancing, more "gym" type things. Ballet requires finer motor skills and the ability to concentrate more than I think it's reasonable to expect of a 4 yr. old. I'm with you, Eden!

I have to finish the outlining and then it will be all "downhill"to fill in the two colors on the "steps. Tomorrow, the border area and maybe the first stain coat on the Salon windowboxes and corbels. (I'll think of you, Norma, as the stain is oil-based and purty potent!)

I am certain Kathy and Denise are going to have a fabulous time together. I hope some shots will be shared, too. :)

o

I never had kiddo birthday parties. Not sure what I'd choose to do if given choices now....

I'm very far removed from the routines of my grand kids. Skyler is at school of course. He loves sleep overs, but they've curtailed those these days. They were so frequent that there was nothing special about them.

Ivy goes periodically to a day home. She likes it just fine, but is not yet interested in play with others. She concentrates on activities for long periods of time on her own there. Books and puzzles are her thing. She enjoys books with rhythm and rhyming. At home, she enjoys all sorts of things: swinging, climbing, swimming in the hot tub (kicks off the edge and over to the other side), loves to fetch things and empty the dishwasher, drawing etc. She's a tidy girl! She does have music lessons, but that's it. No sleep overs, etc. She plays on the piano at home and Sarah sings with her. She may change day homes soon, we'll see. Leo will begin to go with her in September. All three enjoy choosing music or Harry Potter tapes in the car.

Skyler's birthday is April 22. We'll see what they decide to do. It is a VERY complex decision with lots of demands from both Skyler and his Mom that rather take the joy out of things.
Ivy's birthday is in early May. Going camping or horseback riding are possibilities. Who knows about Leo. His first birthday will be in early September. So far he sits and smiles mostly!

Today I pruned back more clematis. DH collected dog treasures from the lawn. We ran errands and picked up pansies to insert in pots. Rain tomorrow though... My car is a mess, so perhaps I can work on the inside of it tomorrow.

o
Evening

I wonder how Saucy managed yesterday and today with her tree ID. I hope she can rest and relax tonight, soak in the tub!

o

I wonder the same thing, 'bug. I figure she never surfaced today because she's still "sleepin' it off", lol. I have little doubt that she has excelled. Seems whatever she sets her mind to turns out nicely!

:)

(Eden, I love Pandora; I have several customized "stations"... my latest "guilty pleasure" is Kool & The Gang radio. Harkens back to my misspent youth, lol)

o

I didn't send my kids to much of anything when they were little, but they were in day care a few days a week so there was some structure there, art , music etc. When I was little I despised 'clubs' i.e. Brownies etc, and would have nothing to do with them, my kids were the same way, lol. And camp ! I'm with you Chelone, it was dreadful. I went once and never again.

Packing is 90% done, car is washed, I'm about ready to call it a night. Fear not Chelone, camera and lap top are coming along , and the FB folks will get on the spot iphone updates.

Ok-all for me today !

Kathy in Napa

o

I wasn't able to get the final coat of black in the centers of the stripes last night. So, here I am, right back at it this morning. A paintin' fool, that's what I am! :)

I will think of Kathy as she speeds her way ever southward toward the teeming Neon Babylon.

I enjoyed Brownies very much, we had a wonderful troop leader, but Girl Scouts was a total drag and I quickly lost interest. Mum was a Girl Scout leader before my birth and she never understood why we weren't outdoors more, learning how to make a fire and cook over it... not that would have been a blast. I still have my Brownie and Girl Scout handbooks, and along with the helpmeet's Boy Scout handbook (c.1958) we are amazed at the practical knowledge contained therein. His father was an Eagle Scout.

OK, I need to get crackin' on the paint.

o

We do one "fun" scheduled thing and the rest is free time - and it'd better not be "bug mom" free time ;) I'm always amazed at the fun ideas the kids come up with. Sarah is taking a cheer class through a gymnastics company (because I hate the idea of her standing on the sidelines cheering for boys) and she really likes it.

Because my kids are school aged, I run across lots of families who are overscheduled. The moms all talk about how they're going to spend the weekend at some field watching a sport....ack! I would not cut it as a soccer mom.

I heard an interesting thought from Ralph Nader (I think) who said that we should cut out college/university scholarships to take the pressure off of the youth. I guess a lot of the after school sports are really competitive (and mothers have to travel to get their kids to games - another reason I'd hate it) for the reason that they're pushing to get a scholarship (and hence the money and fame that come with some college sports).

My test was awful. It was very hard. I've had dreams each night that I missed something. If I failed I get one more chance. After speaking to my classmates, we were all feeling the same: defeated. It was a course set up at a park where there were lots of varieties of trees. I think I did pretty well on identification. I just could not find much damage! We knew there were at least 9 sites, and I wrote up 15 (kill them with paperwork, you know?). We'll see.

The brutal part is that you're standing looking at treetops for 8 hours with no breaks (because most people run out of time, so I opted out of breaks). My arms were so tired from holding my binoculars and wearing a hard hat. I hope I don't have to retake it, lol.

And to top it all off? The USDA cut our test an hour short because of the whole "shut the govt down" deal. They said they were ordered to clean out their offices at 3 sharp, so we'd have to finish up earlier! I hope they take that into consideration when they grade.

Yesterday I helped my neighbor clean out her garden beds. Today I want to do mine. I need to see the life that is hidden under the leaves. I think I'll perk up my compost pile today, too.

I hope you're all getting a chance to garden - it sounds like you're enjoying spring. That floorcloth is fun, and I can't wait to see it in place. I'm amazed at Ivy's dresses - I like the replica you had made. Have fun, Kathy! Happy day to all!

Saucy

o

Interesting about camp experiences.
Mine was a liberating experience and mostly fun. I went with a friend but made new friends. Church camp was AWFUL!
So selecting a camp for your child is a very time consuming job and may or may not be right for him or her.

In our case, the camp I selected was a life altering experience for our two. It was basically a canoe camp which involved overnight trips, lots of singing, swimming (with moose!)and so on. There was NO electrical power. Food played a minor role, but mealtimes were exciting social experiences. Scheduled activities existed, but each child could decide if they wanted to participate or not. There were traditions as well, story telling and a play performance being among them. They became Canadians to the core.

Both our kids became canoe guides and spent many years guiding children through Algonquin park. In fact, DD was the first female to do so. The responsibilities were enormous! Later, DS guided several adults through the park and elsewhere. DD received a canoe for a wedding gift which they used on their honeymoon....

Thunder and lightning here. Time to turn this gadget off!
'bug

o

Hola all - this was the do errands and stock club meeting so I missed a wonderful garden day today -- and felt very resentful over it, LOL....but the sense of obligation to go overrode my selfishness - we need a quorum to conduct business and it was a bit iffy as to attendance -- I sure hope I will be rewarded with a glorious 2 day weekend next week to make up - 'cause there's making up to be done. It's amazing the amount of things one has to do from clean-up to planting, etc. It was very raw and bone-chilling here yesterday - I think I managed to pull a few weeds but that was it (they're regrowing in place as I write - the 85 degree weather will resprout 'em in 24 hours).

Great to see such fun photos of g-kids, Eden!! You are so creative and imaginative that I believe all your grandchildren reflect those talents - it will be interesting to see what adult careers they all choose dont you think? My DGD Isla is 7 months now -- August 22 is the birthday so she is in between your two latest I think. She's a teensie thing and has been afflicted with picking up every virus she can since she started daycare, but I'm really hoping she'll outgrow that with better weather that kills those fermenting germs, LOL. She's a happy girl tho and I think we'll keep her.

Chelone, that is an amazing pattern - amazing how well you translated it from other mediums; I agree with Woody that it might be dizzying for some of us, LOL - dizzy me of course. Love love the colors. I know it must be very precision heavy.

Cant wait to hear reports from Kathy of her grand vacation and idyll union with Denise. Santa Barbara is on my top ten places to visit.

Having only had the one child, I can say I tried the scheduled activity route w/ her early (because it seemed a good idea and I needed to have her somewhere while I was at an 8 hour job), and she was in daycare very early, but she resisted by the time she was 7 and pretty much refused or hated most extra activities. We went thru Brownies, gymnastics, ballet, horseback riding, and an assortment of other things.

Part of it was the scheduling part and no freedom, the other was an interesting demand of her own that she demanded of herself that she either excel in the activity or not want to do it at all....She is by nature a perfectionist - unlike me that's for sure, LOL. It took many years to get her to appreciate that being "normal" or "okay" in things was just fine -- and not every one person had to be tops and or perfect in that class or activity... I think she still struggles with that today, honestly. But I know that as Saucy mentions, there is great competition among parents for athletic scholarships and pushing kids in that direction -- I wonder about the terrible sports injuries that occur so much now with such lasting repercussions.

Interesting topic, Laura -- as grandparents we have to stand back and watch the mores of the present impose the parenting process sometimes dont we? Sadly, with freedom, I think a lot of kids choose video games inside, rather than the fun and health of outdoor activities today...there are good and bad reasons for that happening.

Saucy, that's a horrific test -- you should get an A just for endurance..... one wonders what the point of such a strenous exam is? Incredible. You're to be commended no matter what - most folks would have been overwhelmed.

Okay - gotta do some cleanup for "magic" to happen here tomorrow and finish laundry and I have a little fuzzy dawg hanging her head on my shoulder from the sofa - I believe she's telling me it's her bedtime - she's quite punctual...

Egad, is it going to be Monday soon?

--Cndy

o

Got lots of errands done this morning: dog food from the feed mill, library book returned, box mailed to Leo & Ivy, pills for DH at health food store, Thai soup from specialty shop, then....locked my keys in the car with the motor running. OYY! So fortunately Ric was home and came to the rescue and took me out for a quick lunch. Then I bought paint for the wheelbarrow, violas & pansies, seeds for our pea crop, and a birthday card.

Days don't always go as planned. I bet you already knew that.

o

After a long day in a wood lot looking at trees, I got home to find an email saying that I'd passed. I am so happy. I don't think I could face taking that test again!

I've gotta figure out dinner (this working mom thing is tougher than I remember).

Saucy

o

BIG congratulations to you Saucy!!!!! You put so much into this. I'm awfully happy for you. Soup, bread and cheese here, nothing too fancy. Do Jake and Sarah take turns making meals too?

I managed to cut back some grasses this afternoon...and that's a start. I kept finding mouse nests in the centres of the clumps. :( After a few warm days, it is exciting to see lots of hellebores and iris reticulata in bloom... The voles and moles have done an awful number on the "lawn" though.

'bug

o

Greetings from zone 10 ! Day 1 and already over 300 photos..good thing I brought an extra memory card!

The view from my balcony last evening..

From 2011-04-11

A few from Seaside Gardens

From 2011-04-11

From 2011-04-11

From 2011-04-11

I'll put up a separate thread tommorow after I get back from the Getty Center in LA.

Congratulations Saucy !

Waves to all !

o

None of this august group ever doubted your ability to ace the test, Saucy. :)

I vote for Peanut butter and jelly.

o

Congratulations, Saucy! As Chelone said - I never doubted you'd pass...

o

It was a misty, cloudy but warm weekend. Since I had Friday off I picked up Kenzie early. By the time I picked her up the weather was pretty decent so we made a stop at the park and did some exploring around the farm when we got back. We walked all through the pasture along the creek. She told me "Gramma its not a pasture, it�s a grassland" We were in an area where the creek has higher banks and she spotted a large bone. We had to retrieve it and she is now sure it�s a dinosaur bone. After all, she has been studying them in school.

On Saturday we went to Sioux Falls and went to the Butterfly House, a couple of nurseries, Hobby Lobby and out to lunch. It was fun. She especially liked the Butterfly house.

My son was not interested in sports at all. He did enjoy gymnastics since he excelled on an individual level. He just wasn�t aggressive enough for the team sports. DD on the other hand loved sports but we kept it at a reasonable level. Dance of all kinds was her great love. My siblings who have younger kids can�t even get away for a weekend most of the year because of sporting events. Kenzie takes dance and tumbling classes. She seems to enjoy it.

As for camps I went to 4-H camp one year but otherwise my parents weren�t big believers of it and so I wasn�t really for my kids either. I preferred to spend the summer doing things with my kids such as hiking, camping and exploring.

Chelone, the floor cloth is amazing!

Kathy, those are some awesome pictures! The colors and textures are incredible.

Congratulations Saucy! You must be incredibly relieved.

I was able to spend several hours in the garden after work today. I think our weather is supposed to get cooler and windy after tomorrow. I worked on edging the only garden without brick or rock edging. I have to edge it to keep the quack grass from creeping in. The garden is now sporting pansies, violas, allysum along with the iris reticulata, and a few other bulbs that are blooming. Amazing how those tiny blooms can really bright my day after a long winter.
The new washer is delivered tomorrow. The 17 year old one died mid-load. Never a fun thing.

Michelle

o

Morning all,

I've been spending a lot of time in the gardens in the last several days and the back yard in almost cleaned up. I just need to get the front west corner by the pond, the border on the east side of the house and the wisteria garden cleaned out. Yesterday I tackled the rose garden in the front and that is always a challenge and I'm a bit torn and tattered this AM. The good news there is that the Clematis 'Proteus' has some lovely new leaves on last year's growth so I'm hoping for some double blossoms this spring. The new 'Vyvyan Pennell' died back to the ground so maybe next year. I put that there because of Woody's gorgeous specimen and have hopes to see a display like that someday.

Congratulations Saucy, you must be so happy that's behind you. Good on you!

Michelle, sounds like you are having some great times with Kenzie. ~ We just had to replace our washing machine as well. Doug used the shop vac to get all the water out. What a pain in the neck. ~~ We never went to camp either but sent Heather a couple times but she hated it so we gave up that idea.

Chelone, the floor cloth is fantastic!

Kathy, those photos are brilliant, that last one with the blue/violet next to the chartreuse is divine! A feast for the eyes. Also love that hint of mountain between the trees. A really fantastic image.

Bug, What do you use to cut back your grasses??? I'm thinking I'm going to use Doug's Saw's All. I did my big Miscanthus yesterday and my hands are killing me today. ~~ I've got some extensive vole damage in the driveway garden and I don't know what is going to be left in there. I suspect there will be many fewer lily bulbs this year. I did notice one of my White Swan Echinacea is missing.

Cindy, interesting that your daughter hated/refused extra activities. Heather, our only child was exactly the same. Didn't matter what we tried, skiing, horseback riding, music lessons etc. etc. She didn't want any part of it.

Eden, I completely agree about not overscheduling children with activities. It seems that is the way things are done these days and I don't get it. When I was a child and we got home from school we were sent outside to play and we were to stay outside until supper time. After that it was homework, baths and bed. I didn't suffer with either my education or ability to paint, make music or any of the other creative things I like to do. It seems that there are a lot of children who aren't allowed to just play anymore. Sad. ~~~ So Eden are you going to share some pics of your collage creations?

All righty, I must get to work here. Have a great day everyone

Deanne

o

O, I just love when an idyll takes a vacation and carries us along for the ride/sights! Kathy -- those are gorgeous photos - I am so in love with those echiums. I've come to the conclusion I could definitely live well in a mediterranean climate - and adore all the flora involved. Sadly, I live in mud/clay soaked humid/cold climates. I guess we always wish for what we don't have? I imagine I would have a time doing 12 month gardening tho; the rest of winter is a healthy thing to have I believe.

Saucy - congrats! That's amazing from your description of it, you are obviously one of the talented -- I hope the rest of the job now is fun and interesting for you.

Have you ever lost plants? I ordered about 10 hosta late last year -- I know I planted some but the rest ended up in pots and overwintered.... but I seem to be missing at least 4 - can't account for 'em and dont recall exactly if they're what I planted or not, LOL... There may be a couple casualties in the pots too (not enough moisture perhaps on the shelves outside they were living on or critters)... but it's driving me nutz - my memory just seems to be going and I have no real recollection of which ones got planted. Last nite I was bent over in the front bed staring here and there looking for signs of hosta popping up, LOL - I looked crazy I bet. And the 4 I'm missing were the ones I Really made a special effort to order, darn it.... I literally went around counting pots in various places gazing into them to try to figure out what they might hold, LOL. Looks like a few more clems in pots bit the dust too -- critters or lack of water...

I guess I should focus on more positive things but stuff like that drives me crazy.

Sounds like a challenge with those grasses! Another reason I've avoided them in my small garden, much as I love their looks.

Michelle -- you have great times with Kenzie -- I love hearing about them. Sorry about the washer - I'm still limping along w/ the half-dead refrigerator and it looks like the microwave is blimping out too - I hope this isnt another idyll wave?

Okay, gotta hit the day job. We enjoyed our one day of summer yesterday (82) and now it's raining and the chill is blowing back in...

I'm thinking Norma was felled by her husband's bug -- hope you make a quick recovery, Norma!

--Cindy

o

Good morning friends, I'm enjoying my in-room coffee and watching the sun rise over the hills and the harbor, and will head into LA in a couple of hours.
Lol Cindy, the answer is yes , I have in fact 'lost' plants, but often they miraculously reappear .I bought an Anjelica purpurea last summer when we were at Annies for IU, planted it somewhere and never saw it again till a couple weeks ago. Couldn't believe my eyes when it popped back up again-and had actually already bought a replacement plant at Annies booth at the SF Garden Show. So now I have 2 ! Hope your Hostas turn up. The climate here in Santa Barbara is fabulous, I could easily live here-and it's really the climate I grew up in. However on the downside there are numerous things one can't grow here because of lack of winter chill.

Oh Deanne, Vyv will look fabu in your garden ..you should have seen the state I was in after pruning my 60 plus roses, lol, not to mention the new holes and snags in my gardening clothes. Thanks so much for the nice comments on my photos-the weather conditions were good too, a bit of light overcast so the colors were way better than the photos I took last year. I'm hoping for the same conditions when Denise and I go to Lotusland tomorrow.

Michelle, my son went to 4h camp too, he loved it . He only did it for 3 years and I think he enjoyed it so much because he has so many friends from school there.

Here is a pic I took last evening across the street from my hotel

From 2011-04 (Apr)

Ok, catch up with you guys later!.

Kathy in Socal

o

Looking for some more gorgeous photos from Kathy and she didn't disappoint - what a gorgeous view - I could be happy sipping my coffee looking at that. Instead, I'm lurking over lunch....

LOL re the Angelica purpurea - I recall that was one of the idyll group purchases - I think we all went home with it - I was ecstatic to see my single plant pop up a couple weeks ago - yeeha... I will keep my fingers crossed about the disappearing plants, esp., the hosta.... that they will show themselves.

I find it so interesting how one's perspective of places changes according to age and interests -- never having been impressed much with PA where I grew up, I now return there periodically, and see some wonderful gardens and love the PA fieldstone farmhouses I took so much for granted. I do recall Denise talking about so many things she longs to grow that need that chilling period (tulips for one)...

Having problems with a pesky neighborhood cat who's dumping in both my front and back gardens now... Stella loves to follow its scent and it drives her crazy trying to leap onto brick lip to slip thru the fence where it does -- I think I'm going to have to get serious about discouraginge this cat -- I guess he likes all the birds in my bushes is all I can figure. Just managed to enjoy the freedom of another cat who died last year who had been using the front yard for years.... wonder if the Deer-Off w/ its cougar pee would discourage this latest visitor?

'bug -- I find most of my planned days never go according to plan... it's almost enough to stop making plans!

-cindy

o

Here's your update:

Border with a single coat of the copper paint. Splotchy and not very effective; the key to luxe metallic finishes lies in multiple coats:

Corner detail:

And a shot of the "long view" (4 coats of copper):

Everything looks really shiney right now. That strident edge will be removed after the application of 5-7 coats of polyurethane. I'm working with latex paints, so the topcoats will have a minimal "yellowing" effect on the general palette. I don't object to the yellowing of oil based products, but some people do.

This floorcloth will be a gift to my brother... just because.

o

He'll be THRILLED!!!

o

Chelone, I would have a hard time giving that away! :-)

Garden clean-up has been on the agenda here the past couple of days. The front is now cleaned up and today we did the north alley. It's great to be back in the garden again! Yesterday was a fabulously mild and sunny 20C. Today was much cooler but still nice. It''l be a long time though before the garden looks anything like those pictures Kathy is teasing us with!!

Deanne - are you sure Vyv has died back all the way to the ground? She regularly died low for me but enough was alive at the base to produce those fabulous double flowers on the bottom couple of feet or so. I always started at the top, cutting down the winterkilled parts 6" or so at a time until I hit green wood. It's looking hopeful that I may have some live wood fairly high up the lattice this year. A late frost could change that picture though so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

o

Lots of time left to decide about whether or not clematis made it or not!

Lots of clean up done here today as well - Mostly the hellebore garden.

Deanne, I used my Felcos and gloves to cut back the grasses and survived to tell the tale! ;) More left to deal with still.

Later,
'bug

o

The "Someone" in the background is actually a large hornet's nest, lol. It reminded me of Mum when I looked at it quickly. And, horrifyingly enough... my hair is now exactly that very same color...

yikes

(lol)

o

The floor cloth is wonderful, Chelone. Lucky bro....
Have you ever thought of taking orders or doing some sort of craft/hobby fair where you showed samples and took orders? I bet you could turn a profit on these wonders.

Rainy, gray, dreary raw day here - somehow I cannot figure out how I had to get out of bed and drag into the awfice -- I so would prefer to be home in bed under the covers....

-cindy

o

One blog I follow has Thursdays this way: pretty, happy, funny, real. Each category gets a photo from each participant. I can't do them all through photos, maybe you can?

Pretty today-hellebores doing well

Happy- return of the hepatica

Funny?
DGS's assignment is as follows:
He is to write 2 paragraphs. #1 on the short-term consequences of lying. #2 on the long-term consequences of lying.
Never a dull moment.

Real today.
Mothers always worry. It is decided: DS will move to Haiti for the year.

o

But aren't mothers also happy for the independence and commitment children display as they wind their ways through this wonderful world? He's a big boy, he will be fine and Haiti will be a better place when he leaves it!. I am certain he will report on "pretty" and "funny", too. That he is committed enough to move there reflects brilliantly on all the "basics" learnt at home. :)

Never thought about attempting to sell floorcloths, Cindy. They're a lot of work and I have no belief that anyone would be willing to pay me handsomely for the time required. Though perhaps I ought to rethink that as a designer for whom I've worked expressed interest in them, too. I can't wait to see my brother's reaction; he's always been one of my biggest "boosters" and all my life he's done one kind and generous thing after another for me. I get a genuine charge out of doing silly little things for him.

Excellent assignment for a poor student with a definite attitude problem, 'bug. Lol. Bet that's gone over like a lead balloon with Mommy-dearest. It won't kill him, doubtless he'll live to lie another day. ;)

Time to begin sealing the underside of the piece. Later!

o

I thought I'd share some dessert to wrap up this thread :-) I thought the linked recipe would be fun to make. It was a fair bit of work but definitely fun and tasty. It would be a great recipe for kids for Easter... I'm not keen on anise-flavor, so I used allspice for the 'toasts'. I didn't use enough though; next time I'd use a mix of cinnamon and allspice and make it stronger. The recipe says to use sterilized egg shells for serving. I wasn't keen on that so used small ramekins. Next time I think I'd either serve it in egg cups or use those jars for making coddled eggs. I'd double the 'whites' and layer 'white', 'yolk', and 'white' again to make it like a coddled egg. If you made the 'toast' two days ahead and the 'eggs' the day before serving, that would make it easier. It would be easy to double the recipe if needed.

Lemon 'eggs':

A (fuzzy) closer view:

I didn't take any pictures of the 'toast' (basically biscotti...)

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon 'eggs'

o

Weather here is nasty - windy, rainy and cold. Of course I have a 4 day weekend. I should be able to wrap up all my indoor projects for sure.

I was able to finish the edge of the Welcome Garden the last couple of evenings. It looks so nice and neat.

Kathy, you are really getting some great pictures from your trip.

Chelone, what a lovely gift for your brother.

'bug, what a lovely hellebore.

A couple of shots from my garden.

o

Hi everyone. I'm back up and running again. The hard drive in my computer was toast. So glad I bought the extended warranty. Was able to save all my files but am having to reload programs.

I see I missed several birthdays. So Happy Birthday Ladies!.

I have been going non stop here weeding and painting between weather systems. It's raining this morning and looking at the long range forcast seems like it is going to park over us for awhile.

DGD misscarried and that has us all sad. More worried about her than anything as she deals with depression anyway.

Bob has finally stopped coughing all the time. I dealt with bad allergies for a week too.

On the bright side the dogwoods are in full bloom. The redbuds didn't last very long as the extreme heat we had rushed the leaves. Now the oak pollen is flying everywhere. At least the rain will keep that washed down a bit.

I'm going to tag this onto this thread and go have breakfast. Will try to catch up more later. Norma

o

The last weekend of vacation is upon me. Hmph..how did that happen so fast ? Today was day one of a 3 day gardening marathon-so much to do ! I think I might head over to Annies Annuals in the morning too, I was very conservative on my plant shopping while in Santa Barbara, so of course I deserve it ! Plus the display gardens will be fun to photograph and share.

I think I lost my Wendys Wish again , not a sign of life to be found. Agastache 'Blue Fortune ' looks deader than a doornail too, not sure why , I think it's hardy down to at least zone 5.

Chelone, what a fabulous gift for your DB !

'bug that double Hellebore is sooo pretty ..do you have a name ?

((Norma)) and family.

Ok, that's all for me this evening..waves

Kathy in Napa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here