Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Idyll #500 And... They're Off!

chelone
13 years ago

OK, so someone had to do it and since I'm pondering things equine...

Comments (103)

• gardenbug
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Green Card...I remember the beautiful greenhouse and Gerard Depardieu...

• saucydog
    12 years ago

My new job is fun, but tiring. I am hoping the energy levels will pick up when my body gets used to the new pace. I'm seeing lots of fun things: pileated woodpeckers, a sunning snake, a territorial swan, and a rabid raccoon. The trees are interesting too.

Today is a big 8 hour test on tree i.d. and targeting beetle damamge. My strategy is to skip lunch, so I have filled my pockets with snacks. Many people reported running out of time for the test.

Not much else is going on in my life. Right now it's just a struggle to get the trash out to the curb and go to work. I did get to go flower shopping with my neighbor the other day, as we don't work in the rain. I planted pansies and violas around my front stoop and they make me smile as I come in from work. They're quite fragrant, too, which is a nice surprise.

Hope to be able to check in better on the weekends and rainy days!

Saucy

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Wow! I miss a couple days and I missed a couple birthdays... not much time today as I'm teaching so have to get in gear here but wanted to drop in and leave some birthday greetings

{{gwi:151694}}

{{gwi:151696}}

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love birthdays, but I'm perennially "a day late and a dollar short". I'm basically "good with that" or I'd change things, right?

I humbly offer the following assortment:

{{gwi:151698}}

{{gwi:151700}}

{{gwi:151702}}

{{gwi:151704}}

If the missed birthdays were half as great as my day was today, you guys are definitely in "high cotton". Party down!

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Thumbs up Chelone!
    {{gwi:151706}}

• drema_dianne
    12 years ago

Chelone, your skills are amazing!!!! There is no way I would attempt that, and if I did, it would not look like yours. Hats off!!
    Drema

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

Very impressive! I'd be afraid to walk on it though... Aside from not wanting to get it dirty, the optical illusion would really mess up my head/balance! :-)

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted. I do get to know what's going on with most of you but it's still nice to visit here too.

Chelone, that floor cloth is amazing. What a lot of work and what a great job your doing on it. I love it.

Woody, that sweater is pretty impressive too. I may have missed you talking about your class but I'm wondering how it went? Seems like it should be close to being over about now? I bet you learned a lot.

I see Miss Ivy looking like a cheerful rainbow too! Cute!

And I had seen a few photos of sweet little Isla but there are a few more here. Cindy, I believe I see a bit of a resemblance to her grandma. How old is she now? She looks like maybe a bit older than Julia who will be five months in a few days.

We made it through one birthday bash since I was last here. Bella turned 6 end of February. It's hard for me to believe she's that old all ready. She had a big party which she invited all of her classmates to at a place called Pump It Up. Lots of things to jump on/in and slide down and then we finished up with pizza and cupcakes. She had a ball. Now Jennifer and I are busy planning Kate's second birthday later this month. In addition to a family party she's having a small Dora (her favorite) party with a few of her little friends. We're planning a few simple crafts and games and a Dora pinata. It's designed for little ones so they just have to pull strings for it to open instead of breaking it. I've also started working on some decorations. Lots of fun planning parties for the little ones. Oh and my "baby", David", will be 25 tomorrow. That's really hard for me to believe too!

I've gotten in a total of about two hours of garden clean up done so far. Mother Nature just won't cooperate this year. I was looking at photos from last year and I had all my garden clean up done by April 1st and so many things in bloom. Not the case this year though. Soon I hope.

So many beautiful birthday cards here on this thread too. I believe I extended my birthday wishes to everyone but Denise. So Happy Birthday Denise! I found some peonies in one of my albums from '09 that I thought you might like.

{{gwi:151708}}

That's all from me for now. Hope you're all able to get out in your gardens this weekend. It's looking like I might if the weathermen are telling the truth....

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Hola Idylls..
    A big thanks for the cool greetings and cards . And Drema , I have to comment on the succulent pot combo-nice ! I have tried diligently to stay under the radar for years but my awfice-mates will have none of it. We had a delish breakfast buffet complete with chorizo and eggs, and fresh berries lemon curd..We know how to live !

Since then I have been working diligently on prep for my road trip to SoCal on Sunday. Got the oil changed and fluids checked today, tommorow is packing, food shopping/cooking and any household chores before I set off. I splurged for an ocean view room , so I will pack an ice chest to avoid the extra expense of eating out. Not much I can do about the gas though..oy.

Chelone, that floor cloth..really splendid !

Hi Eden ! No clue who 'Dora' is, but I trust that the event will be up to your usual standards of excellence.

Ok, sorry I need to bail out so soon, but stuff to do ! Waves !

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Hola Idylls..
    A big thanks for the cool greetings and cards . And Drema , I have to comment on the succulent pot combo-nice ! I have tried diligently to stay under the radar for years but my awfice-mates will have none of it. We had a delish breakfast buffet complete with chorizo and eggs, and fresh berries lemon curd..We know how to live !

Since then I have been working diligently on prep for my road trip to SoCal on Sunday. Got the oil changed and fluids checked today, tommorow is packing, food shopping/cooking and any household chores before I set off. I splurged for an ocean view room , so I will pack an ice chest to avoid the extra expense of eating out. Not much I can do about the gas though..oy.

Chelone, that floor cloth..really splendid !

Hi Eden ! No clue who 'Dora' is, but I trust that the event will be up to your usual standards of excellence.

Ok, sorry I need to bail out so soon, but stuff to do ! Waves !

Kathy in Napa

12 years ago

Eden - yes, the course is finished now. It was a lot of work and I considered dropping it several times - not because I couldn't do the work, but because it was so time-consuming. I managed to stick it out and did quite well (final mark 94...) While I learned to use the software, I concluded it's not terribly useful for my garden (easier to continue to do the planning in my head!) A couple of friends have asked me to use it to play with their gardens while I still have access to the program. We're not allowed to use it for commercial purposes on the student license but I assume playing with friends' gardens won't count as commercial, so I'll probably do that.

We haven't done any garden clean-up here yet because we are still getting below-freezing night-time temperatures. We might do a little bit later today - I want to get some shaping pruning done on the Chinese wisteria. I think I'll stick the cut off bits into water to see if I can 'force' them into bloom... There are a lot of crocuses etc. in bloom out there now so I hope to get some pictures today too as I'm behind on the birthday cards :-)

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dora The Explorer, right?

Kathy, how long will it take you drive to SoCal? Will you take the (allegedly) gorgeous coastal drive down or will you bring 'er up to speed on some horribly dreary "federal" interstate, set the cruise, and well... cruise? I had a delightful drive north on the right coast yesterday. Forgot to charge the battery in the camera, though. Don't forget to do that, OK?

I think birthday parties are fabulous. Good food, a "special" atmosphere, and a few party games/favors. What could be more fun? Wouldn't it be a gasser to have an official, "dress up" Idyll birthday party?

Like you, Eden, spring has not yet sprung in my neck o' the woods, either. Today is really lovely and it's warmer than it's been in a long time. Sweatshirt weather if you're outdoors and active.

Crocus are open, Narcissus are well up, but only those nearest the foundation dare to open. Snow drops on the way by, Chionodoxa are doing their thing, but that's about it.

Woody, good thing I haven't opted to put that pattern on the stair treads, huh? ;) Properly finished floorcloths are really amazingly durable. I have one that's probably 15 yrs. old and all we do is vacuum it. The one in the kitchen sees more "action" and it's looking pretty beat, but that one is close to 12 yrs. old and sees very hard use. The big one under the table is showing some wear at the door to the deck but it's 8 yrs. old and I've never rotated it, so I can't fault the finish.

Drema, you start with the easier stuff. ;) The pattern repeat on this one isn't perfect... I actually flubbed the layout, but now I see the error and will be able to correct it the next time I use this pattern. The key is to be neat and precise and you are definitely more than capable, my dear!

Note to self: I need to address my paint brush arsenal! I need to purchase a variety of brushes that will allow me to paint along the edges of blocks with ease. Presently, I outline the area with a brush and then use a larger one to fill in the field. But I'm using crappy brushes and need to get some nice ones. Deanne? Drema? anyone else?

OK, back to painting.

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

6 hours Chelone, for my journey tommorow - a very easy drive especially on Sunday morning since the usual east bay traffic and around about San Jose will be blissfully non-existant. The first 1-1/2 hours or so is city freeway driving, after that it's agriculture , rolling hills and the central coast wine country. Most of the trip is a bit inland from the coast -unless you take Highway 1 , which is the beautiful coastal route, but very very slow , compete with hair pin turns . The really beautiful part of our coast here is central California (Big Sur etc) and north.

Grocery is checked off the list, laundry is IP and packing has started.

Kathy, still in Napa

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

Chelone, I'm impressed that you know of Dora, lol! I agree about making birthdays special. I love birthday parties, especially for the little ones. I love seeing the joy and wonderment on their little faces. The drudgeries and ugliness of life will find them soon enough. I try to make things as special and fun for them as I can, even on regular days. Brad says I live in a fairytale world, lol. Works for me :)

Oh and Chelone, I was reading about your horse collection. If you don't have too many, individual shadow boxes would be a way to go. That way you could showcase each piece instead of them all being lined up on a shelf. Just a thought....

Kathy, the plans for your vacation sound wonderful. I enjoy just going for car rides so the drive alone sounds great to me. Relax and enjoy!

Woody, not surprised that you percervered through the class and excelled at it to boot! Good for you! Even if it's something you won't use often you were excercising your brain. And that's something we all need, especially as we get older.

Brad and I took Dave out to lunch for his birthday earlier since Brad had to leave for work by 2pm. It's not a stellar day for outdoor work, cloudy and chilly, but it's supposed to warm up through the afternoon to 60F (only 47 now)so I'm hoping to get out in an hour or so and finish cleaning up the front gardens at least. I always try to get the front done first since it makes me feel good when I drive up and things look nice. Hope you're all having a relaxing Saturday too.

Eden

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, I support PBS and NPR! I know about "Arthur", and another cartoon with a real smart girl (hispanic), along with "Saddle Club" (I think), a show about horses and pre-teen/teen girls from Australia. I'm not crazy about "Curious George", but I don't watch it that often. I used to dig "Teletubbies", too. YUP! lol.

I'm a huge proponent of exercising your brain. And I think exercising the "creative" muscle is really, really important. Everyone is innately creative. The trouble is that it gets beaten out of us at virtually every step of the way. The emphasis it seems, is too often on "conforming"/"fitting in", and there is great benefit in knowing how to do that, too. But creativity is fragile and must be protected and nutured. Any 1st.-3rd. grader will be all over rhyming and making up a poem. But by the time they're 5th. graders they've somehow managed to learn that there is "good" poetry and theirs probably won't be "good enough". And the over-riding fear of "not good enough" smothers creativity. How sad.

I don't draw very much, perspective frustrates me, and I've not worked on it since 8th. grade. But I have a good eye for color and have found ways to harness that creative aspect effectively by selecting media where that is "front and centre", and an ability to draw well is not.

I think learning music offers the same portal to creativity. You don't have to play an instrument or sing to enjoy it... you can always dance.

OK, time to knock off the taupe portion of the floorcloth. I've been at this since about 7 AM, and I'm running out of steam.

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

I was surprised when Jen told me that Kate had learned all her letters simply from watching some of those PBS shows, Chelone. When she was here last week I randomly held up the magnetic letters we keep on the refrigerator and sure enough, she knew all but two. She also has learned to count in a couple languages the same way. And children's creativity and imagination always blow me away. I love to craft with Bella for that reason. You're right, she's so free thinking, no right or wrong. We always listen to either classical music or show tunes, usually on Pandora these days, when we're working too. Another thing I like to do is go into her room after she's been playing and has left. The way she's set up the toys she's been playing with, whether her doll house, a tea party, legos, whatever is just the coolest thing to see. She uses such creativity in her play and puts things together in ways I'd never think to do. I, myself have recently been doing a lot of collage type art, what's called altered art or art assemblages. So relaxing and fun to just get creative and make something.

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Idyll break time !

Inside of the vehicle is vacuumed and 'dusted', and I'll wash it when the sun is off the driveway. I can't stand going on road trips in a messy car. And in a fun new development, I was able to get Denise into Lotusland as my 'guest' so she will drive up and meet me there ..

Woody, kudos to you for hanging in and finishing the course ..Hopefully we'll 'see' you more often now that you have graduated !

Packing continues�

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Lotusland

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

Well, as much as I'm checking in here today, it's obvious that the weather hasn't cooperated with my gardening plans. I did just finish sowing a flat of seeds though. I was holding off to have Bella's help but these are things I'll put under lights and need to get going asap. We're doing a mini veg garden with dwarf varieties. I was surprised how many different veggies come in miniature size now. I'm just sowing the tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. Bella and Kate can sow the rest in the garden or in milkjugs outside when it gets a bit warmer. I got them each a pair of "wellies" and some garden gloves yesterday. For some reason their little ones are much cuter than my big old ones, lol.

As I was sowing I was thinking more on the subject of children and creativity. One thing I'm not sure I'm on board with is "lessons" in all this stuff at such a young age. My grandkids (Bella, Kate and even Wally)are involved in taking dance, music, art, sports and on it goes. They even have scheduled "play dates". They really do enjoy it all but I often wonder if all the scheduling and busyness is a good thing. I dunno. Just thought it would be interesting to hear what all of you think on the subject.

Kathy, come clean my car? :) I agree a clean car is a must for an enjoyable trip. How cool that Denise will be joining you. You're going to have a blast!

Eden

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll weigh in on the "lesson" thing. I went to camp for 2 wks. one summer. It was OK, and it was fun, but I vividly recall it was too much like school. Every minute supervised (obviously it had to be) and every minute structured. When asked if I wanted to go back the next year, my response was an unfettered, NO! It was so much more fun to be "at home" during the summer. Everything was relaxed, we went barefoot, we ate when we wanted, and were outdoors nearly all day long. We did artsy-fartsy stuff when it rained or when we were tired of the sun and fresh air.

I think lessons are wonderful, but I think they should be introduced after a real enjoyment in something has been shown. I think it's silly to have 4 yr. olds in ballet classes... better to my mind to have them in tumbling, line and circle dancing, more "gym" type things. Ballet requires finer motor skills and the ability to concentrate more than I think it's reasonable to expect of a 4 yr. old. I'm with you, Eden!

I have to finish the outlining and then it will be all "downhill"to fill in the two colors on the "steps. Tomorrow, the border area and maybe the first stain coat on the Salon windowboxes and corbels. (I'll think of you, Norma, as the stain is oil-based and purty potent!)

I am certain Kathy and Denise are going to have a fabulous time together. I hope some shots will be shared, too. :)

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

I never had kiddo birthday parties. Not sure what I'd choose to do if given choices now....

I'm very far removed from the routines of my grand kids. Skyler is at school of course. He loves sleep overs, but they've curtailed those these days. They were so frequent that there was nothing special about them.

Ivy goes periodically to a day home. She likes it just fine, but is not yet interested in play with others. She concentrates on activities for long periods of time on her own there. Books and puzzles are her thing. She enjoys books with rhythm and rhyming. At home, she enjoys all sorts of things: swinging, climbing, swimming in the hot tub (kicks off the edge and over to the other side), loves to fetch things and empty the dishwasher, drawing etc. She's a tidy girl! She does have music lessons, but that's it. No sleep overs, etc. She plays on the piano at home and Sarah sings with her. She may change day homes soon, we'll see. Leo will begin to go with her in September. All three enjoy choosing music or Harry Potter tapes in the car.

Skyler's birthday is April 22. We'll see what they decide to do. It is a VERY complex decision with lots of demands from both Skyler and his Mom that rather take the joy out of things.
    Ivy's birthday is in early May. Going camping or horseback riding are possibilities. Who knows about Leo. His first birthday will be in early September. So far he sits and smiles mostly!

Today I pruned back more clematis. DH collected dog treasures from the lawn. We ran errands and picked up pansies to insert in pots. Rain tomorrow though... My car is a mess, so perhaps I can work on the inside of it tomorrow.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

I wonder how Saucy managed yesterday and today with her tree ID. I hope she can rest and relax tonight, soak in the tub!

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wonder the same thing, 'bug. I figure she never surfaced today because she's still "sleepin' it off", lol. I have little doubt that she has excelled. Seems whatever she sets her mind to turns out nicely!

:)

(Eden, I love Pandora; I have several customized "stations"... my latest "guilty pleasure" is Kool & The Gang radio. Harkens back to my misspent youth, lol)

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

I didn't send my kids to much of anything when they were little, but they were in day care a few days a week so there was some structure there, art , music etc. When I was little I despised 'clubs' i.e. Brownies etc, and would have nothing to do with them, my kids were the same way, lol. And camp ! I'm with you Chelone, it was dreadful. I went once and never again.

Packing is 90% done, car is washed, I'm about ready to call it a night. Fear not Chelone, camera and lap top are coming along , and the FB folks will get on the spot iphone updates.

Ok-all for me today !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wasn't able to get the final coat of black in the centers of the stripes last night. So, here I am, right back at it this morning. A paintin' fool, that's what I am! :)

I will think of Kathy as she speeds her way ever southward toward the teeming Neon Babylon.

I enjoyed Brownies very much, we had a wonderful troop leader, but Girl Scouts was a total drag and I quickly lost interest. Mum was a Girl Scout leader before my birth and she never understood why we weren't outdoors more, learning how to make a fire and cook over it... not that would have been a blast. I still have my Brownie and Girl Scout handbooks, and along with the helpmeet's Boy Scout handbook (c.1958) we are amazed at the practical knowledge contained therein. His father was an Eagle Scout.

OK, I need to get crackin' on the paint.

• saucydog
    12 years ago

We do one "fun" scheduled thing and the rest is free time - and it'd better not be "bug mom" free time ;) I'm always amazed at the fun ideas the kids come up with. Sarah is taking a cheer class through a gymnastics company (because I hate the idea of her standing on the sidelines cheering for boys) and she really likes it.

Because my kids are school aged, I run across lots of families who are overscheduled. The moms all talk about how they're going to spend the weekend at some field watching a sport....ack! I would not cut it as a soccer mom.

I heard an interesting thought from Ralph Nader (I think) who said that we should cut out college/university scholarships to take the pressure off of the youth. I guess a lot of the after school sports are really competitive (and mothers have to travel to get their kids to games - another reason I'd hate it) for the reason that they're pushing to get a scholarship (and hence the money and fame that come with some college sports).

My test was awful. It was very hard. I've had dreams each night that I missed something. If I failed I get one more chance. After speaking to my classmates, we were all feeling the same: defeated. It was a course set up at a park where there were lots of varieties of trees. I think I did pretty well on identification. I just could not find much damage! We knew there were at least 9 sites, and I wrote up 15 (kill them with paperwork, you know?). We'll see.

The brutal part is that you're standing looking at treetops for 8 hours with no breaks (because most people run out of time, so I opted out of breaks). My arms were so tired from holding my binoculars and wearing a hard hat. I hope I don't have to retake it, lol.

And to top it all off? The USDA cut our test an hour short because of the whole "shut the govt down" deal. They said they were ordered to clean out their offices at 3 sharp, so we'd have to finish up earlier! I hope they take that into consideration when they grade.

Yesterday I helped my neighbor clean out her garden beds. Today I want to do mine. I need to see the life that is hidden under the leaves. I think I'll perk up my compost pile today, too.

I hope you're all getting a chance to garden - it sounds like you're enjoying spring. That floorcloth is fun, and I can't wait to see it in place. I'm amazed at Ivy's dresses - I like the replica you had made. Have fun, Kathy! Happy day to all!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Interesting about camp experiences.
    Mine was a liberating experience and mostly fun. I went with a friend but made new friends. Church camp was AWFUL!
    So selecting a camp for your child is a very time consuming job and may or may not be right for him or her.

In our case, the camp I selected was a life altering experience for our two. It was basically a canoe camp which involved overnight trips, lots of singing, swimming (with moose!)and so on. There was NO electrical power. Food played a minor role, but mealtimes were exciting social experiences. Scheduled activities existed, but each child could decide if they wanted to participate or not. There were traditions as well, story telling and a play performance being among them. They became Canadians to the core.

Both our kids became canoe guides and spent many years guiding children through Algonquin park. In fact, DD was the first female to do so. The responsibilities were enormous! Later, DS guided several adults through the park and elsewhere. DD received a canoe for a wedding gift which they used on their honeymoon....

Thunder and lightning here. Time to turn this gadget off!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Hola all - this was the do errands and stock club meeting so I missed a wonderful garden day today -- and felt very resentful over it, LOL....but the sense of obligation to go overrode my selfishness - we need a quorum to conduct business and it was a bit iffy as to attendance -- I sure hope I will be rewarded with a glorious 2 day weekend next week to make up - 'cause there's making up to be done. It's amazing the amount of things one has to do from clean-up to planting, etc. It was very raw and bone-chilling here yesterday - I think I managed to pull a few weeds but that was it (they're regrowing in place as I write - the 85 degree weather will resprout 'em in 24 hours).

Great to see such fun photos of g-kids, Eden!! You are so creative and imaginative that I believe all your grandchildren reflect those talents - it will be interesting to see what adult careers they all choose dont you think? My DGD Isla is 7 months now -- August 22 is the birthday so she is in between your two latest I think. She's a teensie thing and has been afflicted with picking up every virus she can since she started daycare, but I'm really hoping she'll outgrow that with better weather that kills those fermenting germs, LOL. She's a happy girl tho and I think we'll keep her.

Chelone, that is an amazing pattern - amazing how well you translated it from other mediums; I agree with Woody that it might be dizzying for some of us, LOL - dizzy me of course. Love love the colors. I know it must be very precision heavy.

Cant wait to hear reports from Kathy of her grand vacation and idyll union with Denise. Santa Barbara is on my top ten places to visit.

Having only had the one child, I can say I tried the scheduled activity route w/ her early (because it seemed a good idea and I needed to have her somewhere while I was at an 8 hour job), and she was in daycare very early, but she resisted by the time she was 7 and pretty much refused or hated most extra activities. We went thru Brownies, gymnastics, ballet, horseback riding, and an assortment of other things.

Part of it was the scheduling part and no freedom, the other was an interesting demand of her own that she demanded of herself that she either excel in the activity or not want to do it at all....She is by nature a perfectionist - unlike me that's for sure, LOL. It took many years to get her to appreciate that being "normal" or "okay" in things was just fine -- and not every one person had to be tops and or perfect in that class or activity... I think she still struggles with that today, honestly. But I know that as Saucy mentions, there is great competition among parents for athletic scholarships and pushing kids in that direction -- I wonder about the terrible sports injuries that occur so much now with such lasting repercussions.

Interesting topic, Laura -- as grandparents we have to stand back and watch the mores of the present impose the parenting process sometimes dont we? Sadly, with freedom, I think a lot of kids choose video games inside, rather than the fun and health of outdoor activities today...there are good and bad reasons for that happening.

Saucy, that's a horrific test -- you should get an A just for endurance..... one wonders what the point of such a strenous exam is? Incredible. You're to be commended no matter what - most folks would have been overwhelmed.

Okay - gotta do some cleanup for "magic" to happen here tomorrow and finish laundry and I have a little fuzzy dawg hanging her head on my shoulder from the sofa - I believe she's telling me it's her bedtime - she's quite punctual...

Egad, is it going to be Monday soon?

--Cndy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Got lots of errands done this morning: dog food from the feed mill, library book returned, box mailed to Leo & Ivy, pills for DH at health food store, Thai soup from specialty shop, then....locked my keys in the car with the motor running. OYY! So fortunately Ric was home and came to the rescue and took me out for a quick lunch. Then I bought paint for the wheelbarrow, violas & pansies, seeds for our pea crop, and a birthday card.

Days don't always go as planned. I bet you already knew that.

• saucydog
    12 years ago

After a long day in a wood lot looking at trees, I got home to find an email saying that I'd passed. I am so happy. I don't think I could face taking that test again!

I've gotta figure out dinner (this working mom thing is tougher than I remember).

Saucy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

BIG congratulations to you Saucy!!!!! You put so much into this. I'm awfully happy for you. Soup, bread and cheese here, nothing too fancy. Do Jake and Sarah take turns making meals too?

I managed to cut back some grasses this afternoon...and that's a start. I kept finding mouse nests in the centres of the clumps. :( After a few warm days, it is exciting to see lots of hellebores and iris reticulata in bloom... The voles and moles have done an awful number on the "lawn" though.

'bug

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Greetings from zone 10 ! Day 1 and already over 300 photos..good thing I brought an extra memory card!

The view from my balcony last evening.. {{gwi:151710}}From 2011-04-11

A few from Seaside Gardens {{gwi:151712}}From 2011-04-11
    {{gwi:151714}}From 2011-04-11
    {{gwi:151716}}From 2011-04-11

I'll put up a separate thread tommorow after I get back from the Getty Center in LA.

Congratulations Saucy !

Waves to all !

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

None of this august group ever doubted your ability to ace the test, Saucy. :)

I vote for Peanut butter and jelly.

12 years ago

Congratulations, Saucy! As Chelone said - I never doubted you'd pass...

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

It was a misty, cloudy but warm weekend. Since I had Friday off I picked up Kenzie early. By the time I picked her up the weather was pretty decent so we made a stop at the park and did some exploring around the farm when we got back. We walked all through the pasture along the creek. She told me "Gramma its not a pasture, it�s a grassland" We were in an area where the creek has higher banks and she spotted a large bone. We had to retrieve it and she is now sure it�s a dinosaur bone. After all, she has been studying them in school.

On Saturday we went to Sioux Falls and went to the Butterfly House, a couple of nurseries, Hobby Lobby and out to lunch. It was fun. She especially liked the Butterfly house.

My son was not interested in sports at all. He did enjoy gymnastics since he excelled on an individual level. He just wasn�t aggressive enough for the team sports. DD on the other hand loved sports but we kept it at a reasonable level. Dance of all kinds was her great love. My siblings who have younger kids can�t even get away for a weekend most of the year because of sporting events. Kenzie takes dance and tumbling classes. She seems to enjoy it.

As for camps I went to 4-H camp one year but otherwise my parents weren�t big believers of it and so I wasn�t really for my kids either. I preferred to spend the summer doing things with my kids such as hiking, camping and exploring.

Chelone, the floor cloth is amazing!

Kathy, those are some awesome pictures! The colors and textures are incredible.

Congratulations Saucy! You must be incredibly relieved.

I was able to spend several hours in the garden after work today. I think our weather is supposed to get cooler and windy after tomorrow. I worked on edging the only garden without brick or rock edging. I have to edge it to keep the quack grass from creeping in. The garden is now sporting pansies, violas, allysum along with the iris reticulata, and a few other bulbs that are blooming. Amazing how those tiny blooms can really bright my day after a long winter.
    The new washer is delivered tomorrow. The 17 year old one died mid-load. Never a fun thing.

Michelle

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Morning all,

I've been spending a lot of time in the gardens in the last several days and the back yard in almost cleaned up. I just need to get the front west corner by the pond, the border on the east side of the house and the wisteria garden cleaned out. Yesterday I tackled the rose garden in the front and that is always a challenge and I'm a bit torn and tattered this AM. The good news there is that the Clematis 'Proteus' has some lovely new leaves on last year's growth so I'm hoping for some double blossoms this spring. The new 'Vyvyan Pennell' died back to the ground so maybe next year. I put that there because of Woody's gorgeous specimen and have hopes to see a display like that someday.

Congratulations Saucy, you must be so happy that's behind you. Good on you!

Michelle, sounds like you are having some great times with Kenzie. ~ We just had to replace our washing machine as well. Doug used the shop vac to get all the water out. What a pain in the neck. ~~ We never went to camp either but sent Heather a couple times but she hated it so we gave up that idea.

Chelone, the floor cloth is fantastic!

Kathy, those photos are brilliant, that last one with the blue/violet next to the chartreuse is divine! A feast for the eyes. Also love that hint of mountain between the trees. A really fantastic image.

Bug, What do you use to cut back your grasses??? I'm thinking I'm going to use Doug's Saw's All. I did my big Miscanthus yesterday and my hands are killing me today. ~~ I've got some extensive vole damage in the driveway garden and I don't know what is going to be left in there. I suspect there will be many fewer lily bulbs this year. I did notice one of my White Swan Echinacea is missing.

Cindy, interesting that your daughter hated/refused extra activities. Heather, our only child was exactly the same. Didn't matter what we tried, skiing, horseback riding, music lessons etc. etc. She didn't want any part of it.

Eden, I completely agree about not overscheduling children with activities. It seems that is the way things are done these days and I don't get it. When I was a child and we got home from school we were sent outside to play and we were to stay outside until supper time. After that it was homework, baths and bed. I didn't suffer with either my education or ability to paint, make music or any of the other creative things I like to do. It seems that there are a lot of children who aren't allowed to just play anymore. Sad. ~~~ So Eden are you going to share some pics of your collage creations?

All righty, I must get to work here. Have a great day everyone

Deanne

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

O, I just love when an idyll takes a vacation and carries us along for the ride/sights! Kathy -- those are gorgeous photos - I am so in love with those echiums. I've come to the conclusion I could definitely live well in a mediterranean climate - and adore all the flora involved. Sadly, I live in mud/clay soaked humid/cold climates. I guess we always wish for what we don't have? I imagine I would have a time doing 12 month gardening tho; the rest of winter is a healthy thing to have I believe.

Saucy - congrats! That's amazing from your description of it, you are obviously one of the talented -- I hope the rest of the job now is fun and interesting for you.

Have you ever lost plants? I ordered about 10 hosta late last year -- I know I planted some but the rest ended up in pots and overwintered.... but I seem to be missing at least 4 - can't account for 'em and dont recall exactly if they're what I planted or not, LOL... There may be a couple casualties in the pots too (not enough moisture perhaps on the shelves outside they were living on or critters)... but it's driving me nutz - my memory just seems to be going and I have no real recollection of which ones got planted. Last nite I was bent over in the front bed staring here and there looking for signs of hosta popping up, LOL - I looked crazy I bet. And the 4 I'm missing were the ones I Really made a special effort to order, darn it.... I literally went around counting pots in various places gazing into them to try to figure out what they might hold, LOL. Looks like a few more clems in pots bit the dust too -- critters or lack of water...

I guess I should focus on more positive things but stuff like that drives me crazy.

Sounds like a challenge with those grasses! Another reason I've avoided them in my small garden, much as I love their looks.

Michelle -- you have great times with Kenzie -- I love hearing about them. Sorry about the washer - I'm still limping along w/ the half-dead refrigerator and it looks like the microwave is blimping out too - I hope this isnt another idyll wave?

Okay, gotta hit the day job. We enjoyed our one day of summer yesterday (82) and now it's raining and the chill is blowing back in...

I'm thinking Norma was felled by her husband's bug -- hope you make a quick recovery, Norma!

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Good morning friends, I'm enjoying my in-room coffee and watching the sun rise over the hills and the harbor, and will head into LA in a couple of hours.
    Lol Cindy, the answer is yes , I have in fact 'lost' plants, but often they miraculously reappear .I bought an Anjelica purpurea last summer when we were at Annies for IU, planted it somewhere and never saw it again till a couple weeks ago. Couldn't believe my eyes when it popped back up again-and had actually already bought a replacement plant at Annies booth at the SF Garden Show. So now I have 2 ! Hope your Hostas turn up. The climate here in Santa Barbara is fabulous, I could easily live here-and it's really the climate I grew up in. However on the downside there are numerous things one can't grow here because of lack of winter chill.

Oh Deanne, Vyv will look fabu in your garden ..you should have seen the state I was in after pruning my 60 plus roses, lol, not to mention the new holes and snags in my gardening clothes. Thanks so much for the nice comments on my photos-the weather conditions were good too, a bit of light overcast so the colors were way better than the photos I took last year. I'm hoping for the same conditions when Denise and I go to Lotusland tomorrow.

Michelle, my son went to 4h camp too, he loved it . He only did it for 3 years and I think he enjoyed it so much because he has so many friends from school there.

Here is a pic I took last evening across the street from my hotel {{gwi:151718}}From 2011-04 (Apr)

Ok, catch up with you guys later!.

Kathy in Socal

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Looking for some more gorgeous photos from Kathy and she didn't disappoint - what a gorgeous view - I could be happy sipping my coffee looking at that. Instead, I'm lurking over lunch....

LOL re the Angelica purpurea - I recall that was one of the idyll group purchases - I think we all went home with it - I was ecstatic to see my single plant pop up a couple weeks ago - yeeha... I will keep my fingers crossed about the disappearing plants, esp., the hosta.... that they will show themselves.

I find it so interesting how one's perspective of places changes according to age and interests -- never having been impressed much with PA where I grew up, I now return there periodically, and see some wonderful gardens and love the PA fieldstone farmhouses I took so much for granted. I do recall Denise talking about so many things she longs to grow that need that chilling period (tulips for one)...

Having problems with a pesky neighborhood cat who's dumping in both my front and back gardens now... Stella loves to follow its scent and it drives her crazy trying to leap onto brick lip to slip thru the fence where it does -- I think I'm going to have to get serious about discouraginge this cat -- I guess he likes all the birds in my bushes is all I can figure. Just managed to enjoy the freedom of another cat who died last year who had been using the front yard for years.... wonder if the Deer-Off w/ its cougar pee would discourage this latest visitor?

'bug -- I find most of my planned days never go according to plan... it's almost enough to stop making plans!

-cindy

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's your update:

Border with a single coat of the copper paint. Splotchy and not very effective; the key to luxe metallic finishes lies in multiple coats:
    {{gwi:151720}}

Corner detail:
    {{gwi:151722}}

And a shot of the "long view" (4 coats of copper):
    {{gwi:151724}}

Everything looks really shiney right now. That strident edge will be removed after the application of 5-7 coats of polyurethane. I'm working with latex paints, so the topcoats will have a minimal "yellowing" effect on the general palette. I don't object to the yellowing of oil based products, but some people do.

This floorcloth will be a gift to my brother... just because.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

He'll be THRILLED!!!

12 years ago

Chelone, I would have a hard time giving that away! :-)

Garden clean-up has been on the agenda here the past couple of days. The front is now cleaned up and today we did the north alley. It's great to be back in the garden again! Yesterday was a fabulously mild and sunny 20C. Today was much cooler but still nice. It''l be a long time though before the garden looks anything like those pictures Kathy is teasing us with!!

Deanne - are you sure Vyv has died back all the way to the ground? She regularly died low for me but enough was alive at the base to produce those fabulous double flowers on the bottom couple of feet or so. I always started at the top, cutting down the winterkilled parts 6" or so at a time until I hit green wood. It's looking hopeful that I may have some live wood fairly high up the lattice this year. A late frost could change that picture though so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Lots of time left to decide about whether or not clematis made it or not!

Lots of clean up done here today as well - Mostly the hellebore garden.

Deanne, I used my Felcos and gloves to cut back the grasses and survived to tell the tale! ;) More left to deal with still.

Later,
    'bug

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The "Someone" in the background is actually a large hornet's nest, lol. It reminded me of Mum when I looked at it quickly. And, horrifyingly enough... my hair is now exactly that very same color...

yikes

(lol)

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

The floor cloth is wonderful, Chelone. Lucky bro....
    Have you ever thought of taking orders or doing some sort of craft/hobby fair where you showed samples and took orders? I bet you could turn a profit on these wonders.

Rainy, gray, dreary raw day here - somehow I cannot figure out how I had to get out of bed and drag into the awfice -- I so would prefer to be home in bed under the covers....

-cindy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

One blog I follow has Thursdays this way: pretty, happy, funny, real. Each category gets a photo from each participant. I can't do them all through photos, maybe you can?

Pretty today-hellebores doing well
    {{gwi:151726}}

Happy- return of the hepatica
    {{gwi:151727}}

Funny?
    DGS's assignment is as follows:
    He is to write 2 paragraphs. #1 on the short-term consequences of lying. #2 on the long-term consequences of lying.
    Never a dull moment.

Real today.
    Mothers always worry. It is decided: DS will move to Haiti for the year.

• chelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

But aren't mothers also happy for the independence and commitment children display as they wind their ways through this wonderful world? He's a big boy, he will be fine and Haiti will be a better place when he leaves it!. I am certain he will report on "pretty" and "funny", too. That he is committed enough to move there reflects brilliantly on all the "basics" learnt at home. :)

Never thought about attempting to sell floorcloths, Cindy. They're a lot of work and I have no belief that anyone would be willing to pay me handsomely for the time required. Though perhaps I ought to rethink that as a designer for whom I've worked expressed interest in them, too. I can't wait to see my brother's reaction; he's always been one of my biggest "boosters" and all my life he's done one kind and generous thing after another for me. I get a genuine charge out of doing silly little things for him.

Excellent assignment for a poor student with a definite attitude problem, 'bug. Lol. Bet that's gone over like a lead balloon with Mommy-dearest. It won't kill him, doubtless he'll live to lie another day. ;)

Time to begin sealing the underside of the piece. Later!

12 years ago

I thought I'd share some dessert to wrap up this thread :-) I thought the linked recipe would be fun to make. It was a fair bit of work but definitely fun and tasty. It would be a great recipe for kids for Easter... I'm not keen on anise-flavor, so I used allspice for the 'toasts'. I didn't use enough though; next time I'd use a mix of cinnamon and allspice and make it stronger. The recipe says to use sterilized egg shells for serving. I wasn't keen on that so used small ramekins. Next time I think I'd either serve it in egg cups or use those jars for making coddled eggs. I'd double the 'whites' and layer 'white', 'yolk', and 'white' again to make it like a coddled egg. If you made the 'toast' two days ahead and the 'eggs' the day before serving, that would make it easier. It would be easy to double the recipe if needed.

Lemon 'eggs':
    {{gwi:151729}}

A (fuzzy) closer view:
    {{gwi:151733}}

I didn't take any pictures of the 'toast' (basically biscotti...)

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon 'eggs'

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Weather here is nasty - windy, rainy and cold. Of course I have a 4 day weekend. I should be able to wrap up all my indoor projects for sure.

I was able to finish the edge of the Welcome Garden the last couple of evenings. It looks so nice and neat.

Kathy, you are really getting some great pictures from your trip.

Chelone, what a lovely gift for your brother.

'bug, what a lovely hellebore.

A couple of shots from my garden.

{{gwi:151735}}

{{gwi:151738}}

{{gwi:151740}}

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm back up and running again. The hard drive in my computer was toast. So glad I bought the extended warranty. Was able to save all my files but am having to reload programs.

I see I missed several birthdays. So Happy Birthday Ladies!.

I have been going non stop here weeding and painting between weather systems. It's raining this morning and looking at the long range forcast seems like it is going to park over us for awhile.

DGD misscarried and that has us all sad. More worried about her than anything as she deals with depression anyway.

Bob has finally stopped coughing all the time. I dealt with bad allergies for a week too.

On the bright side the dogwoods are in full bloom. The redbuds didn't last very long as the extreme heat we had rushed the leaves. Now the oak pollen is flying everywhere. At least the rain will keep that washed down a bit.

I'm going to tag this onto this thread and go have breakfast. Will try to catch up more later. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

The last weekend of vacation is upon me. Hmph..how did that happen so fast ? Today was day one of a 3 day gardening marathon-so much to do ! I think I might head over to Annies Annuals in the morning too, I was very conservative on my plant shopping while in Santa Barbara, so of course I deserve it ! Plus the display gardens will be fun to photograph and share.

I think I lost my Wendys Wish again , not a sign of life to be found. Agastache 'Blue Fortune ' looks deader than a doornail too, not sure why , I think it's hardy down to at least zone 5.

Chelone, what a fabulous gift for your DB !

'bug that double Hellebore is sooo pretty ..do you have a name ?

((Norma)) and family.

Ok, that's all for me this evening..waves

Kathy in Napa

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz