Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll # 476 - Spring has Sprung

saucydog
14 years ago

It looks like Spring has sprung for all of us! I'll be looking for my Spring moment in time today!

Carry on Idylls!

Saucy

Comments (105)

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Hi, folks - been a very busy and traumatic last number of days here...

I congratulate you again, Saucy, on that contest win -- I hope it's the first of many.

Im longing to be outside but we've had windy windy here -- the trip to PA was stressful but things seem fairly good there.

I cant believe we're going to see 80 degrees here this weekend - in fact by Friday.... that should blow a lot of bulbs up and gone... Mother Nature is full of energy.

V - it sounds like your life is full of jammed packed stuff -- I hope you're taking vitamin pills every day.

I will try to be more faithful in checking in here as it's so lovely to see the spring photos.

-Cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

((Cindy)) -re your post on the Moments thread...

Sunny but still chilly here. We did manage an hour yesterday in the garden to start clean-up in the front. I hope to get clearance tomorrow to start reducing this drug or the fatigue is going to be a serious problem in the garden!

• jak1
    14 years ago

Hello, friends!

At last I have put the "must do's" aside for a bit so I can spend some time here with you. Managed to browse through this whole thread - what a treat! So much to see and comment on....here goes!

Candy: for the first time in years we have had no damage from either squirrels or voles. I can guess a couple of reasons why: fishers, dogs in a fenced yard, little snow. I didn't know anyone other than DH referred to them as tree rats *LOL*

Kathy: Hey! My weather this week is the weather you should be having - warm and pleasant, for the first time in history for this date. The garden plot is a definite score, and I would certainly use the raised beds. I have mine fenced in with a couple of feet of chicken wire to keep out the bunnies. No weeds either. Mr. Baby is so cute! And you must be working yourself into a frenzy now that IU 7 is imminent. Wish I could come....

Have a great trip Bug! Ivy is at a fun stage now. My empathy to Sarah re: the report card blues. What a drag about the bridge. We are in the throes of old bridge repair. We are considered a historic area, thank goodness. Our main street is being widened for the trucks. Many of the people who live there are losing half of the front lawns. What a shame!

I hope your recovery is continuing well Woody. What an inspiration you are!And Cyn too. The thought of these surgeries gives me the heebi-jeebies. As does the thought of any surgery *LOL* Let us know how you're progressing.

Oh Mary, a hoop house and chickens! Sounds like such a nice combination. Getting back to basics in food production on a personal scale must feel so rewarding!

And V - with the bathrrom chicks! I too recall Bug's adventure with the turtles. I want to raise tadpoles in my little pond this year if I can find some. Not as much work as chicks or turtles, but you can't eat them either -hahaha! The NZ trip looks and sounds amazing thanks for the great photos!

The tax man was good to us this year for the first time in recent memory. Plantation shutters in the Living Room (saw Kathy's in a photo and have longed for them ever since) and, for me, a real find: an old rusty wrought iron fence that will grace my perennial bed and hopefully discourage the beasts. DH is going to spend some time this weekend figuring out just how to set it up. I am very excited.

Still can't wear real shoes on the broken toe, but have gotten out in Crocs as our weather has been reasonable.

And one of my banana seeds has sprouted! How do I look after it? Saucy? Deanne? Hey, maybe you could cast banana leaves, Saucy!

O.K. back to the "must do's".

Check in, Chelone!

Cheers,

Julie

Marian, your second day of Spring definitely does not look inviting. Hope you have passed that stage by now.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

((((Cindy ))))

So sorry..best wishes out to you ..

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

When I left work last night the car thermometer read 77° I could hardly get outside fast enough. I used the edger and went around the Welcome Garden and then made a trench, pulling out all the quack grass that has crept in. There was also a fair amount of raking to be done since Rick blows a lot of our snow that way. Lots of rocks land on the lawn. It looks so good when itÂs done. I decided this year IÂd make a priority. This is basically the only bed without some type of edging.
    Do any of you get the daily email from Fine Gardening with their Photo of the Day? I find it quite enjoyable to get a new garden related photo each day.
    I miss PM2 and the beautiful National Geographic photos she posted.
    The weekend is filled with lots of activities involving DHÂs family and church.
    IÂd best return to my work.
    Michelle

This quote is for you Cindy, I'm sure that Chloe will be missed dreadfully, but I hope you can find a measure of peace and comfort in your garden this spring.

"In joy or sadness, flowers are our constant friends." ...Kozuko Okakura

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Thinking of Cindy this evening.

I am so tired tonight, but I put in a real good day. cleaning beds and raking the yard. Your right Michelle it looks so much better. It probably got close to 80 here today with some wind. First day with short sleeves. Sure need to get a little color on these wrinkly old arms.

Julie so good to hear from you.
    Saucy I hope the sun shines for you soon. I'm not sure if I congratulated you on your leaf sculpture win. It sure is nice. I would love a fountain with a leaf like yours, but with two ponds I guess I have enough water features.

I miss Chelone too. I guess she needed a break.

Hopefully PM will show up again too.

The problem with hard work is it makes you really hungry. DH grilled and it sure was good.

Kathy, I wish I could come to IU, but it's not in the cards this year.

Bug, Enjoy those Ivy hugs. That is if she can stay still long enough.

Over and Out. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good evening friends, and a cold and rainy one here in the mystical land.

Nodding towards Iowa; getting the trenching/edging done always feels so good doesnÂt it? I did sign up for the FG pic du jour several weeks ago, but used my awfice e-mail. Every morning I pour my coffee, sit down and look at the photo- a nice way to ease into the work day. IÂm thinking about submitting one !

Hiya Julie, I must say the plantation shutters are one of the best things I ever did, right up there with the hardwood floors and new windows, though they cost a small fortune. I only put them on the front of the house and the master bedroom.. I would love to do a couple more rooms upstairs but itÂs not in the cards for this yearÂwish you could come too !

Bittersweet to see posts from Chelone and Ei over on the Moments thread, and in that vein, my first rose to bloom this year was Bolero, a beautiful white posted here in memory of a sweet little white dog. {{gwi:151901}}From Garden 2010 Spring

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Thank you for the many lovely thoughts and gestures -- I dont want to bog this idyll down with sadness, so it seemed fitting to post on the memories thread - I am trying to hold tight to the many wonderful memories I have - one of my many regrets however is that this is the season and kind of days that were the most beloved by my faithful gardenbuddy and it is bittersweet not to be able to share them with her - I seem to have "if only one more day" in my head....but it was not to be.

That's a beautiful, beautiful rose, Kathy - maybe I should plant something like that for her. When Im more able to think positively I will contemplate that.

That's a great tip re the FG photo, Michelle -- I will have to try taht - nothing better than sitting down w/ a cuppa in the a.m. to see some beauty!

Again, thanks for the thoughts - I knew you guys would understand and recall her fondly.

I do hope to get out in the garden this weekend and do some of these chores that so many folks are already ahead of me -- I've wanted to edge my beds but never get to it - I did manage to fertilize the clems and roses; altho I want to try that Bayer this year to see if it makes a difference re pests and I read somewhere that it helps prevent Iris borer too -- I would dearly love to be able to keep Iris.

Onto staring around the awfice, and signing up for FG photos.

--Cindy

• chelone
    14 years ago

It was pure luck that I spied Cindy's sad news about dear Chloe's departure for the Happy Hunting Ground. I haven't been following along, I'm ashamed to say. I'll try to get it together and post something; every time I've thought I'd like to something has gotten "in the way". No other reason.

(special nod to Woody. I know I promised you my very own turban shot and I've not forgotten... if fact, it has haunted me at rather strange times! I promise I will share it for your enjoyment.)

14 years ago

Sunny but still a fair bit 'cooler by the Lake' here today. I hoped to get some garden work done this morning but the morning somehow slipped away...! In the afternoon we were in Toronto. This is what we sent to our 'update list' :
    'Today we met with the surgeon for the first post-surgical check-in. There was good news and bad news. The good news was that the pathology report confirmed that the tumor was benign and that IÂm doing well for this point in recovery. The bad news, from my perspective, is that I have to remain on the anti-seizure drug for 6 months. I will have an MRI in Aug. or so and, if that shows everything normal and I havenÂt had any more seizures, then I can start weaning off the drug.

I need regular blood tests between now and then to monitor things like liver function and indications of bone problems. Fatigue is the side effect that is killing me at this point. The itching side effect has abated quite a bit in the last week  I no longer feel like I want to rip my scalp off :-) so I hope the fatigue might diminish too. In the last 10 days or so IÂve been gaining ½ lb. a day! IÂm not sure if that is a side effect (certain body bits are prone to ÂenlargementÂ) or whether itÂs a result of fatigue meaning IÂm being more inactive. IÂve tried to step up the exercise IÂm getting and cut back on food intake or else IÂll be a bloated toad in 6 months!'

I forgot to include in that - the surgeon called the tumor 'sticky' - we're not sure exactly what he meant but gathered that it meant there wasn't as clear a separation between the tumor and the brain as he thought there would be from the pre-surgical MRIs and that is what accounts for the seizure problem. If the fatigue continues at the current level, garden season this year is going to be a bit of a hard slog at times unfortunately.

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

I popped in for a second in between coloring eggs with the little ones, Nina keeps cracking hers like she is frying an egg :) and Charlie throws his in the cup like a baseball. Luckily, I wore old clothes. Went outside, got some things done. Then they left, I paid some bills online, making my Easter dinner grocery list, just about ready to call it a day.

Woody, wanted to say I read your note above, and sure hope that you know we are rooting for you. Best thoughts headed your way from across the lake. Hope you continue to improve and your results are the best possible.

Nice to see Ei pop in:) come back, come back...

Kathy, that is a beautiful rose, and Mr. Baby is adorable. Glad you had a chance to be with them for a few days. Looking forward to IU7!

Hi Chelone, hope all is going okay, and that your weather is as nice as ours has been the last couple of days. Although 80 degrees first of April is really a little too hot for me...

Have to run, Devin is on Spring Break and he is spending the night, so they are calling me to watch a movie..

Hi Norma, I don't know if I mentioned it, but your garden is beautiful.

TTYL
    D.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Drema, I can just picture the scene Of Nina and Charlie coloring eggs. Too funny. Hope the weather stays nice and we get to see pictures of them hunting the eggs.

Woody, I hope the side effects will continue to rebate. I know it must be frustrating to you. Maybe this will just have to be a summer of sitting back and enjoying what you have accomplished so well in your garden. I know you would rather be out there doing,but hopefully you will have many more years to do that.

Cindy,No doubt you will miss Chloe for a long time to come. When I run across pictures of Keebler while looking at garden photos I still think Awww Keebie I miss you. I love my Rebel too but he does not stay by my side as much as Keebler did.

Chelone, good to know you are still out there, just busy with other things.

I had to go buy a new pump for the pond yesterday. There goes my garden budget for the year. The daffs have been so nice this year, With expanding clumps and cooperating weather they have put on a show. These 80 degree days will probably put a stop to them soon. The daylily foliage is growing by leaps and bounds and the hostas are budding up. Bound to be some cold weather yet which won't bother the daylilys but might be hard on the hostas. I read a tip on some home remedy to spray on the hosta now for slug control, but can't find where I wrote it down. Rats!

Not much going on here this weekend. Hope to see Wyatt and Jake on Sunday for dinner.

I am waking up early these days. Hence the morning post.
    Enjoy the weekend.

Norma

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

This clump of hyacinths has been here for many years. Unlike so many others I have planted. I guess it likes the location

{{gwi:151902}}

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I cant wait to see your pictures tonite, Norma -- locked out at the awfice from them... I hope everyone is getting the lovely sunny weather that's in this region tho. That's rough re the garden budget being blown on one item, Norma -- it's always something isnt it?

Woody - I think gaining lbs is not a bad side effect, all things considered.... all in all it sounds like the good news definitely outweighed any "bad" news... I do hope you just take it easy if you have to this Spring re the energy/fatigue - maybe it's your body telling you (besides the meds) that you've been thru an awful lot and your body needs to have time to heal. The gardens will be there waiting for you.

Drema - I love the stories re the egg decorating -- kids are always so inventive both in preparation and execution of things, LOL....

I wish to all a very lovely sunny Spring weekend to enjoy whatever festivities and events they are partaking in....

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

{{gwi:151903}}From Garden 2010 Spring

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

IÂve spent the last hour WALATing, taking advantage of the break in the rain that has fallen all day, and will continue tonight. Everything is sporting that bright fresh green that spring presents. I fear that work at my garden plot will not be in the cards this weekend, the ground is back to mud stage . I will go out there and maybe shovel some more compost, but that stuff will be soaked too.

I also hope to do a bit of IU reconnaissance this weekend here in the Valley- I got a response from one of the winery gardens who advised me that their gardens peak in spring and he feared that there would not be enough interest there for Âserious gardeners in late June. Glad he was so up front about this, so I have another option to investigate to replace this one.

Cindy, that white rose (Bolero) was a total impulse purchase 2 years ago . It was a new introduction , blooming at the nursery and I was sucked in (no surprise there) bought it and it sat in a pot for about 6 months as I had no clue where to put it. I do not regret the purchase at all , and hope a bloom will be available for sniffing at IU because it is intensely fragrant as well as beautiful. Do you get those nasty beetles there ? I hope you arenÂt feeling too blue, and that you can get out into the garden to revive your spirits.

Norma, I canÂt remember when the last time I planted Hyacinth was..our mild winters arenÂt very conducive to naturalizing of that particular bulb. I sure would love to see a photo of how the pond looks right now--!

Drema, we had fun here last weekend , and I discovered I am immune to Âterrrible two scream-fests.. guess itÂs less annoying when you arenÂt the mom, right ? I found it very easy to ignore .

Woody, the word Âbenign is one of the best in the good news category. As far as the fatigue goes , I agree with Cindy ..rest and heal ! I know I would be chomping at the bit , I get very restless if forced into inactivity .

Waving at Chelone and hoping to see check-ins this weekend .

Nite all !

Kathy in Napa {{gwi:151904}}From Garden 2010 Spring

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I have to share this with you all. As someone who has continued my mom's tradition of baking a lamb cake for Easter, I was a little nervous when I saw that the Cake Wrecks blog had taken on Lamb Cakes as their subject today. I mean, I'm not a professional cake decorator, you know?

But I have to say that I now feel really, really good about my lamb cakes!

Enjoy the link.

V.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cake Wrecks

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Ok V, you know that a photo here is a must. Cough it up , girl.

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

{{gwi:151905}}

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:151907}}

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Drema, I hope you have a very special day. You are a brave soul to color eggs with such little ones, but what wonderful memories you are making and they will think of you as a really cool and fun grandma.

My 20 year old niece was telling my mom last weekend how she was such a cool and modern grandma and not a "trinket" grandma. I thought that was so cute.

Kathy, what a lovely rose and scented to boot. IÂm really enjoying your spring garden shots.

Here things are just starting with crocus, scillia, iris reticulata and chionodoxa all opening up just yesterday. I noticed it all from the kitchen windows since we were expecting guests for dinner and it was extremely windy last evening. The temps dropped drastically last evening as well. On Thursday it was 82ï° We still have snow in the hilly areas and on the north side of the grove.

I think I must be losing it as we got so busy talking that I forgot to serve dessert.

V, I second the vote for a picture of the lamb before itÂs eaten.

Norma, I can almost smell the hyacinths. IÂve planted them several times and have just a few that return. As for your misplaced slug remedy, I keep a journal on my desk and use it to jot down things such as that, plants I read about and would like to add to the garden or anything else I read on line and want to remember. I also have a picture folder on my computer where I place inspiration photos.

Woody, you seem like such a doer. I think like most gardeners. IÂm sure itÂs hard to take it easy and heal. Your benign news is great and hopefully the other issues will be ironed out in the healing process.

Cindy, donÂt ever worry about bogging down an Idyll with something that saddens you. True friends, which I believe we all are, can handle the good with the bad and truly want to support each other.

Have a fabulous Saturday and hopefully you each get a chance to spend a little time in our garden sanctuaries.

Michelle

"Well pleaseth me the sweet time of Easter
    That maketh the leaf and the flower come out." ~Bertran de Born

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

A wonderful warm day with lunch on the deck. Yesterday as I walked the dog I saw butterflies too, mourning cloaks. I certainly didn't expect that as there's still snow about in places.

Lots of sore throats going on here...poor baby is quite unhappy and wants to be glued to mommy. Certainly NOT to Nana.

Skyler is back with his Mom...

Tomorrow it will be a lamb dinner here. YUM.

I am antsy to get back and start seeds and hit the garden work. I miss my Phoebe and the kitties too. I've finished Three Cups of Tea and the sequel for my book club and need to start the next book, the final one for this season. (The Art Instinct)

Happy Easter to one and all!
    'bug

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Happy (belated) birthday Drema. Hope it was a grand celebration.

Kathy, too funny about the ability to ignore the screaming of Mr. Baby. I think it is easier when you aren't the mom, but then again, I was pretty well able to ignore it with DS all those years ago. Now, he ignores mine! Teehee. Hope your rain has passed and you are back to your usual heavenly weather.

Norma, I love hyacinths. What a fragrance-I have a few, but always wish I had more. Maybe I'll finally plant some more this fall.

Cindy, how are you doing, lady? Getting to be time to plan a meet-up now that is is warming up.

V-another vote for a picture!

Woody, so glad to hear the word "benign" in reference to your tumor. Think of all the planning you can do during your forced R&R-visions, projects and ideas...oh my!

I know there were so many other things to say-I think I never congratulated you Saucy on your first place-forgive me and congrats!

Waving to all and wishing you marvelous weather and spring scents.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Happy birthday, Drema. This is my Prairie Smoke, Geum triflorum, blooming today.

{{gwi:151909}}

I started this morning in the rain, but I got the whole front garden cleaned up today! My son, his wife and my nephew came and started on the chicken coop construction. One of the chicks exercised her wings today and flew to the top of the tub. We'll need to get them covered ASAP!

The lamb cake just has come out of the oven. I will post a photo when it's all decorated, but that likely will be tomorrow. DD and I offered to help ring some bells at the Easter vigil service this evening, so I'm about due to get in the shower.

V.

14 years ago

{{gwi:151910}}

We spent two hours in the front garden this morning and got most of the main bed cleared out. I'm worried about this abnormally warm weather - if it brings on too many things too early, the inevitable frost will do a lot of damage. The spring trees are loaded with buds and I'd hate to lose the display!

R&R is a fairly active event here. One thing I have learned from previous experience is that it is not a good idea to lay around not doing much. Once you stop doing something active it's very hard to start again. Better to keep going even if it has to be at a slower or more inept pace... Inept is a very apt description...:-) The garden is a very healing place to be.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Hola Idylls..Saturday evening is bringing the next rainstorm , but so far the sun is bright and the only hint of what is to come is the steady breeze coming in from the coast and the faint clouds seen to the west. IÂm cooking spaghetti sauce tonight , and plan to watch some pre-season baseball-opening day on Monday !. Today I ordered my Armenian cuke seeds and 2 types of filet beans, both for my ÂallotmentÂ. I await two dry days in a row, I figure I will be able to finish the weeding and raised bed construction if it happens.

Glad to see you Cyn !

Woody, we are having a very cool spring here too. The wind machines are working overtime in the vineyards , and mornings continue to be frosty. The rain coming in will warm the temps a bit. I bought a tomato plant today, but will keep it in a protected area in itÂs pot for at least another 2 weeks.

I can report nice progress with the $$ Dowdeswell Delph seeds. My existing Delphs are budding up now, and I worked on some staking today.

Waving at Chelone, Âbug, and cÂmon Marian , we need a post from you !

Spring flowers today

{{gwi:151911}}From Garden 2010 Spring

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the BD wishes and photos:) I really appreciate it. This weekend is a big one for us, Devin, Sean and myself have birthdays, Skip and I have our 34th anniversary. Where did that time go??? When you add in Easter, it is pretty jam packed with chocolate and cake.

Hope you all have a lovely day:)

Drema

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Happy Easter!

{{gwi:151912}}

V.

• flowerluvr
    14 years ago

Just a fly-by to say "Happy Easter and Peas on Earth"!! Back to my reading, and photo gawking :)
    {{gwi:151914}}
    Brenda

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I spent an embarrassingly inactive day here  though I did 2 loads of laundry and cooked chicken mole . Rain all day, and gazing longingly out the windows at the sodden spring garden was a frequent (but unproductive) pastime. I think the drought is over.

Brenda, that has got to be the most adult looking expression I have ever seen on a baby, lol.

Lotusland coming up in a week and a half- snuck up in me for sure it was so long ago I made the reservations. IÂm going to include a visit to the Santa Barbra Botanical Garden, which specializes in California natives. Extra memory card will be one of the first items in the packing-staging area.

Off to read the Sunday papes..waves to all

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Kathy, thats what I was thinking about Judes picture too. I think he is a grown up in a babys body. Looks like he is smirking. I just love him and I'm not his grandma.

As for ignoring two year old scream fests, that might be easier than bad behavior from seven year olds. Wyatt must have had to much sugar today and was about to get a spanking. How can they be so sweet one minute and make you want to smack them the next. The sweet was that he gave both me and his other grandma a beaded necklace he had gotten from somewhere. Even matching the colors to what we were wearing. The bad was just plain not listening when he was told to do or not do something.
    He doesn't look like he could be bad here does he.
    {{gwi:151916}}

Happy Birthday Drema.

Michelle I love the pillar planters. I just bought some pansies and alssyum(sp?)too.

Hi Cyn.

V, your cake wins hands down.

Brenda, I love Judes pretty brown eyes.

Kathy, your spring garden looks inviting. You do seem to be getting quite a bit of rain.

Theres more, but I'm fading so I'm off to bed.

Oh yes , Woody, I like Randys Easter picture on the moments thread.

Norma

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Yesterday was breezy but I had a very productive garden day. I was beat at the end though. I think my undoing was trying to get the quack grass out of the Butterfly Garden. That is the worst garden for it.

Today was dinner at RickÂs daughterÂs house. With both of my kids out of state it was very different. Even after Laura moved, Jeremy would come for Easter along with my parents. His birthday is the 12th so we usually celebrated that as well. He will be back in the area next week though.

Norma, actually those were the pillar planters from last Easter. IÂve yet to find any cool season annuals yet. I love watching kids having an egg hunt. IÂm sure Wyatt has his moments, as do all kids.

V, the cake is great. I like your geum. I should have added one to my High Country Gardens order. IÂm always looking for early bloomers.

Brenda, you must just love having that little sweetheart around. He is just adorable!

Kathy, IÂd love to see a close up of the hellebore (at least thatÂs what I think it is) in front of the birdbath. What pretty form. The whole combination is lovely.

Âbug, sorry to hear that little Ivy and others arenÂt feeling well. ItÂs tough to see the little ones sick.

Michelle

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

brenda, I had the same thought when I saw Jude's picture. I bet he'll be one of those like my DS (now 30) who, at his worst moments, will turn, give you that look and break into a grin and you're a goner!

Norma, pictures like that make it hard to believe that they could ver be anything less than wonderful. What a handsome kid Wyatt is! And already buying jewelry for the women in his life-that is to be encouraged! LOL.

Kathy, the bird bath looks so pretty. Your gardens always inspire me (am I always saying that? Think I am.). Anyway, I think I will pick myself up and head to the nursery for something blooming. My birdbaths only have small, newly-emerging stuff around them at this point. Maybe a pansy or ten will help. Never did plant any last fall.

V, that lamb is the best! I'll bet everyone oohed and aahed and smacked their lips afterwards!

Michelle, it is different once they are grown and gone, isn't it? Won't it be grand to have Jeremy home next week?!

Guess I'll check out Randy's picture on the Moments thread and then go buy something cheerful. I do have some bloodroots to plant, but they aren't blooming yet-just got them in the mail. Hope they survive and spread.

Smiling and waving...

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Spirea Mellow Yellow

{{gwi:151919}}
    Texas Quince
    {{gwi:151922}}
    Forgythia
    {{gwi:151923}}

These are all blooming today along with the redbuds and one dogwood just opening. Everthing seems to be in a mad rush.

I am not happy with the way my pictures are turning out when I resize them. The are losing quality. I need to work on that. It was pretty cloudy this morning.
    N

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

IÂm wrapped up in fleece tonight- the sun is out but it is not warm, and I fully expect frost on the rooftops in the morning. Mr postman delivered a box from Rosy Dawn this evening, and the new babies are unpacked , watered and sitting in the kitchen. Very excited I got Lancelot Mocha Velvet , which I have drooled over at Deannes .

Cyn, I bought yet another birdbath this spring, which I donÂt think IÂve shared a pic of as yet. Employee discounts are a fine thing. Happy that you find anything I have going on here inspirational ! I sure try to do what I can with a very small lot .

Yes indeed Norma, the rain has been a frequent visitor this year. I always worry about the first bloom flush on my roses, most of which are not even cracking and showing color yet. We have been in drought conditions for the last couple of years so this rain is really a good thing; it fills the reservoirs and contributes to the snow-pack in the Sierra which in turn supplies water to Northern Californians. That Wyatt is a very handsome young man !(for a kid, lol) Fabu pics posted today ! I learned in my photo class about re-sizing or even opening and closing pics and how it can degrade the quality . I hope to learn more about this in my class IÂm taking in May; I have noticed the same thing.

Michelle, The Hellebore is called Painted Lady. Really happy with it, it is quite Âupward facing as Hellebores go, and has been blooming for a very long time. Here is a close up pic that I took a couple of weeks ago. {{gwi:151925}}From Garden 2010 Spring

All for me tonight ..

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Home again but haven't yet investigated the garden....

Much catching up to do on many fronts.

Here's a taste of little Ms Ivy, up to no good:
    {{gwi:151927}}

Likewise, Skyler:
    {{gwi:151928}}

A busy week ahead for us.
    'bug

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our traveling Idyll has returned! And with photos! Ivy sure is getting big, and Skylar looks like he's doing exactly what a boy does at his age :)

Norma, every year I say that I need more Spring interest around here...your garden has lots going on! I think the pictures are great, so I can't imagine what they looked like before you resized them :)

I need some bloodroot, too, Cyn. My neighbor's is blooming now and it'd be perfect in my Goddess Garden. I need to get on the ball this year and plant bulbs (especially if I buy them, lol!). That time of year just seems too busy with school and holidays.

I am going for a walk this morning...I went yesterday too. I was to be restful and lay off the heavy workouts and finally I'm starting to feel antsy, which I think is a good sign. I think I was really worn out! Something Woody said really hit home though...if you take bedrest too seriously, you can find that it's really hard to get started again! So I'll start walking again.

I need to be in shape for gardens in Napa :)

Okay, so I guess I'll put on my shoes and start now! Have a great day.

Saucy

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Falling back into the computer chair with a sigh. I feel like I lost the last 10 days in some kind of time warp. BIL and his wife arrived the 27th and ended up staying an extra day due to a bolt embedded in their car tire. DH and I then worked two days moving mulch from the tree stump removal, raking old pin oak shells from the yard and reseeding. Then on to preparations for Easter weekend which was at our house this year since MIL and FIL were leaving Monday to visit her sister. Just been way too hectic lately.

Garden clean up has been a little here and there, turned over soil today along the shrub border and relocated a few perennials. Tomorrow itÂs supposed to rain and IÂm treating myself to a day off and spending it at a couple of local nurseries.

Cindy, so sorry to read that you lost ChloeÂI know how it hurts to lose a beloved pet.

Drema, happy belated birthday wishes! I donÂt seem to be able to get into photo bucket tonight to post a card for you, darn it.

And VÂso you DO have a little Orprah, LOL! Please keep documenting with photos as IÂm sure they grow fast and have changed already. The lamb cake really caught my attention, it turned out very well. And I have to tell you right now, the New Zealand photos are every bit as wonderful as I imagined. Everything looks clean and fresh from the skyline to the architecture and even the hiking trails. Thanks for sharing and I hope you post more.

Loved all the photos as I caught up on reading. A good assortment of the little ones, too. Mr. Baby Blue Eyes, and Norma, Wyatt appears to have incredibly blue eyes, also. Ivy and Skyler striking a pose and Jude! He was a handsome baby the day he was born and already he looks quite the little man. Brenda, I think you are going to have great fun with him!

I am whipped from digging but itÂs a good kind of tired. Waving good night to allÂtime for bed!

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It seems like it is taking the whole Spring to get through this Idyll...so lets wrap it up with birthday wishes for Kathy!

{{gwi:151929}}

And Babs, too! Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!

{{gwi:151931}}

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Spring seems to only have started for us here, so Kathy, here is a second spring for you!
    {{gwi:151933}}

Drema, I missed your party, so here's some bloodroot for you!
    {{gwi:151935}}

And Babs, since you are the token female at your house, I thought you needed some PINK!
    {{gwi:151937}}

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

It's a busy birthday day!
    {{gwi:151938}}
    {{gwi:151939}}
    {{gwi:151940}}

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Denise, you are celebrating too? Happy Birthday!

{{gwi:151941}}

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:151942}}

Almost missed you!!! Have a happy day, Denise!

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I knew it was a big birthday week(s) -- so :

Happy Belated to Drema:

{{gwi:151943}}

Happy to Babs:

{{gwi:151944}}

Happy to Denise:

{{gwi:151945}}

And Happy to Kathy!:

{{gwi:151946}}

I do hope to get back in later -- Cheers to all.

-cindy

• denisez10
    14 years ago

You guys have been busy as bees with the birthday wishes! I was emailed Cindy's facebook b'day wishes so popped over here to find festivities in full swing.

{{gwi:151947}}

Happy birthday to all the idyll spring lambs. What beautiful glimpses of spring -- all from this year? My mom called early this a.m. and sang the happy birthday song into the answering machine.

Many happy returns of the day!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

To all the birthday ladies-I hope your day where you are is as beautiful as ours is here. Oh and ignore the date on pics-took them just now. have no idea what happened to date thing! HOWEVER, so proud of myself for adding text. It has only taken me an hour to remember how to upload to my drop box in order to post them here. *sigh*
    {{gwi:151948}}From Drop Box
    {{gwi:151949}}From Drop Box
    {{gwi:151950}}From Drop Box

That said, I could do with somewhat cooler temps for working in the yard-it is due to hit 90---that is 9-0---today. UGH.

I am planning to transplant some of the violets that are popping up all over onto the hill where nothing seems to grow. The liriope and mondo grass I put in in the fall are looking pretty wretched now. I know a lot of people hate violets, but I think they are lovely and much nicer than grass. With luck, since we no longer have grass in the back-the galloping gardeners have taken care of that-I will have violets in all those empty spots.

Okay, back out into the inferno. Groaning and waving.

• chelone
    14 years ago

_hit!

Happy birthday, everyone (who the hell is Babs?!).

I'm outta here. (Way too overwhelmed by the height of the bar you guys set!)

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Well, I guess itÂs a week of birthdaysÂwow!
    {{gwi:151951}}

{{gwi:151952}}

{{gwi:151954}}

Trying to remember if Babs has been here since I arrived but drawing a blank. Maybe sheÂll drop in to say hi on her birthday.
    {{gwi:151956}}

I do not have that much spring color yet; hoping the shrubs pop after this rain to brighten things up. Cyn, I canÂt believe youÂre going to reach 90 today! My neighborÂs violets are spreading into our yard. ItÂs not that I hate them, itÂs more that I hate not having a choice about getting them, lol.

Trip to one nursery was a bit disappointing. They have a display of plants they grow in their greenhouse so everything is still young. More variety will be offered when shipments come in and I realize itÂs still very early in the season.

Thought youÂd want to know that I bought a new pair of rockers in honor of all your birthdays! (snicker) They are sooo comfortable, Drema, that toe knuckle doesnÂt even have to bend! Supposed to help tone your calves and bum, too, but they just feel great. DD loves hers and suggested I might like them. No problem getting used to the curved sole either, I put them on and wore them home. Just noticed I was so anxious to start walking I forgot to lace the top eyelet! HereÂs a pic standing in the garage doing a contortion act so you can see the side sole.
    {{gwi:151957}}

Must start thinking about dinnerÂpossibly meatloaf and scalloped potatoes. DH wonÂt get home until later this evening so itÂs my turn to cook. Anything I donÂt have to stand at the stove gets my vote.

Hey, Chelone!...waving you back here :-)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

What a great batch of photos here tonight, and a stealth fly-by from Chelone to cap it off ! Thanks to all ! At the awfice I was entertained with quiche, strawberries, fresh pineapple and carrot cake. I came home to a perfect evening for an extended WALAT.

Time for a new Idyll I think !

Kathy in Napa

• babs_clare
    14 years ago

Nope,I didn't forget you,Drema!
    {{gwi:151958}}

~Babs