15 years ago

Hang on it's almost here!

{{gwi:149602}}

Comments (104)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks all...

Funny you said that about the musical chairs, Marie. That was exactly what I was thinking.
    I knew that the ninebark reseeds. I have been pulling it's seedlings from that bed for years, and I planned on digging one up and planting it elsewhere. But I didn't know it would resprout. It will be a hard decision whether to let it do so, or to let the dogwood grow in it's stead.
    I had planted one of it's seedlings at the northwest end of the house, but it was almost all destroyed by the icestorm.
    I had two clems growing in it. I have leaned a trellis up against the house for them. Another ninebark came up out below the pond a few years ago.
    I am thinking about planting a catalpa to the northeast of the deck for morning shade. I have read that they are less susceptible to ice breakage than many of our trees. I have a potted one, already.

I am bushed. I am going to hit the sack early....

Marian

• chelone
    15 years ago

Eden, I finally decided to take a gander at Bella's birthday loot and lost the post I was workin' on ... that'll learn me, won't it? The doll bed is darling, I'll bet you smiled when you purchased it and Bella will be delighted with its addition; let's face it, the proper accessories are crucial to a good round of "dolls". ;) Mum was big on making doll beds for my Ginny Dolls. She'd use cigar boxes and the old-fashioned stationary clothespins for the feet and the posters. She'd paint the whole thing in a color of her choice and then set about making the mattresses, pillows, and coverlets to coordinate nicely with them.

Looks to be a gloomy day outdoors today. Good thing because I have a rather full and dull day ahead of me. First off is the virgin mopping of the remaining blue chalk lines and then there will likely be a secondary mopping of remaining blue residue (stuff is unbelievably tenacious in its adherence to the floor). After that I'll gently scuff the floor and vacuum it thoroughly. And the the first of two coats of the clearcoat. Followed by another round of scuff/vacuum and the final topcoat. The floor will then be left to lie fallow for a few days before I'm able to return Cynthia's loveseat and the armchair to the Salon. Not very fulfilling but necessary, nonetheless.

While everything is drying I'll try to crack off a JulieJob/two. The returnables have migrated out of the pantry and are threatening to overwhelm the house, so that will be a good thing to take care of. I've contemplated a thorough cleaning of the boiler room (my clothes dryer), too. It would be nice to make it a more pleasant place to hang wet clothing over night and I think I could do it with not too much effort. And I have the bathroom looming overhead, as well. I mentioned it last night and predictably it received a tepid reception. Just once it would be nice to have something creative greeted with, "hey, I like that idea. I'm concerned about the amount of time involved but if you put together the plan we can do it". It's unlikely that will ever happen, so it appears I'm once more "on my own". ;)

How often do you have to strip Phoebe, 'bug? We used to have Chris clipped every 6 mos.. She was a beautiful Springer; we were told repeatedly by several breeders that she was "top shelf". And in a full Springer clip she was breathtaking, but we used to tell the groomer to make her "look like a German Shorthair Pointer". Jackassing around with combing and brushing was NOT part of the plan for us (neither was a very stupid Springer, but she needed a home after her Daddy died). We use a shedding blade on Rex to get rid of the undercoat and that's as involved as I want to get with canine grooming, thank you very much. :) I sure hope the court thing resolves itself satisfactorily and does so soon. There is something so very wrong about injecting all that additional stress into an already tough time. The whole things smacks of selfishness and an inability to look at the greater good for a little boy who has, in fact, lost his little brother! It's all very, very sad and your description of turning fire engine red is apt indeed. Hang tough!

Well, I know I've overlooked several important topics, but it's time to get this show on the road and get working on the floor. Later!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

A few bluebirds of happiness for Marian and Nolon:
    {{gwi:152275}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Happy Anniversary Marian!! Fifty two years is a very long time and how many couples can claim such a feat? [g] Starting on Year Fifty Three, wow.

{{gwi:152277}}

This is a painting by Delacroix called 'Mariage a la Mairie'
    that I hope you may enjoy. And links to what was happening in the year you were married, below, that you might find entertaining.

I appreciate all your greetings and comments to me, and just not up to typing responses. Just popping in when I can for right now. Dreary out there, here too. This weekend we turn the clocks ahead...yippee!

:-)

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

Happy Anniversary to Marian and Nolon!!

V - when yours photos came up I thought for a moment T had returned. Do the dogs go crazy when they see the deer?

There was actually a little addenda to the tale of the meatloaf. Before the major heist I was busy cooking and making a phonne call and Clousseau took advantage of my back being turned to grab the can of crushed tomatoes from the counter. In doing so the opened contents transcribed a perfect arc before landing on every surface available, splattering floor, walls, counters, my desk and himself with globs of red pulp. The result looked like a scene from Sweeny Todd. I had to call the chidlren in to witness and they were delighted with the mayhem. Given that that was my day recovering from Strep and that everything had to be washed top to bottom you can see why I agree with Chelone when it comes to canines.

Here is the perpetrator luxuriating in the warmth of a mulch pile last spring.
    {{gwi:152279}}

Mary

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Congratulations to Marian and NOlan! That's a long time to be married. Happy Anniversary!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Good Morning!
    Susan, I love your pic for our Anniversary. It goes along with the fact that 'our' bluebirds are courting. :-)

Pm2, your pic is very nice, too, but I am afraid we were not married in 1938! It was 1957. Not much going on, on that date in History.

Mary, I would have gone ballistic if that had happened to me. What a mess! I hope the kids helped with the cleaning, espacially since they found it so humorous.

When I got up this morning I felt as though I had been through the mill! Maybe I was in bed too long? I even looked terrible, but I tested my face and could still smile, so know I hadn't had a stroke. :-)
    Then I looked out my bedroom window and saw that Trubby and Tommy had a stray cat cornered. I went out to run it off, and that prompted Trubby to jump it. It was reluctant to leave , so I went out again and threw rocks towards it. It headed up the driveway, and I hope it is gone. Trubby and Toomy both came in, but Trubby is back out looking for it.
    I am hoping Trubby is not getting a repeat of his illness, that almost done him in twice. He has barfed up his food three days in a row. Have any of you a home remedy for barfy cats? He keeps nibbling on grass when he is outside.

No fire needed in our heating stove for 2 days now. It was 59 outside when I got up, and still is. 70s are in the forecast again, for today. Thank goodness the wind has died down.

I hope to get back out to the cleanup work.

Oh, I got a phone call from my sister yesterday. She hadn't remembered it was our anniversary until I mentioned it. Nice coincidence. While we were 73 degrees it was in the 30s and snowing in Boise.

These are amongst the blooming outside:
    {{gwi:152281}}

And these are amongst the blooms inside:

{{gwi:152283}}

Marian

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Happy Anniversary Marian and Nolan :)

I love your daffodils and amarylis! Your green thumb with plants going indoors and out reminds me of my grandma. She had an unrecognizable poinsetta at one time - unrecognizable because it was now shrub sized :)

I did not inherit this gene :)

I logged in this morning to ask if any of you have tried those mushroom kits you see in magazines? Jake and I want to try one on a couple of felled trees, but I'd like to know I can expect success :)

We're talking about adding another hive, too :) Jake has been a big help, shoveling out the entrance when needed. He's the one who was too scared to come up close last year because he had a close encounter with some wasps at camp. I think a healthy dose of fear would make you a better bee keeper - because you'll be less likely to try something stupid :)

Woody, I had some good dog clippers at one time to shave our (awful) cocker. I thought it was a pretty fun task - and the dog never complained :) One tip I learned from cats: never try to cut the mat out with the scissors close to the skin - I would snip into the mat repeatedly and then work it lose from that point. Of course cats tend to help out in the grooming process a little more than dogs do, don't they?

Clousseau looks like a mighty happy chap!

Saucy

• chelone
    15 years ago

Mary, that story is just priceless. I'll be chuckling about that one for a long while. :) he is a good-lookin' rig, must be the meatloaf, lol.

The virgin mop was not much fun. There is no water in the bahn and that means schlepping back and forth to our domicile to rinse and refill the bucket. I have been up and down the stairs minimally 8 times this morning. Who needs a stinkin' gym membership, it's all for free here at Frontierland. It's presently drying and I'm going to outfit the sheetrock sander with 300+ grit paper now. :)

I like the sound of planting mushrooms in the backyard, Saucy. I don't know anything about them and it will be fun to see what others contribute. When do you expect your bees to be up and interested in flying around, sometimes in April?

I guess just let Trubby bulk up on grass, Marian. We usually just let the cats take care of that sort of thing on their own, you'll know it starts getting more serious. The daffodils remind me of the little clump of Jack Snipe out near Sanitary Ridge. They are my favorites.

On to the next JulieJob!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

LOL Marian...well, you can see that not only can't I type lately, but I can't add/subtract either. I remember calculating 50 from 90 and taking off two more. Where I came up with 90 is a mystery. Well...I will give it another try...you were right, not much coming up for March 5, 1957, so here is the whole year.... :-)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

{{gwi:152285}}

I'm becoming quite the artist...lol. Now, if only I can convince a few rich people with more money than sense that my art is worth a fortune...I've certainly seen worse hanging in a few homes and galleries.

Happy Anniversary to Marian and Nolon!

Kathy, I see you've been time traveling again...have another glass of wine...lol.

I think we should organize an IU to the Philly flower show next year. If only they would stop having it smack in the middle of month end closing. Deanne, how were the crowds?

Woody, I'm sorry you got some bad news this week. I'm sure you'll kick this challenge in the butt like you do with all your others.

OK, back to work with me. I'm hoping to be able to get a day of skiing in on Sunday if the weather cooperates. Right now rain is in the forecast for Killington.

Spring ahead!

Sue

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Saucy - I tried one of those mushroom things once from a reputable mail order place in Canada. It worked - but nowhere near as abundantly as in the pictures! I think I didn't keep it moist enough (it was an indoor thing, not one for inoculation outdoor logs. Maybe an outdoor one would work better.

PM - one important event in 1957 - I was born! :-) (but not in March....)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

LOL Sue. I recognize the ski lifts in your picture.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

PM, even if you can't comment, we love to have your presence here. I know that some are present but not posting at times, but it is nice if they post a short note or comment just to let the rest of us know they are around.

Saucy, I've never tried mushrooms, but it sounds like lots of fun especially with Jake and using the old trees. You mentioned your grandma's poinsetta that was shrub sized, was it growing outdoors? I was suprised to see below the balcony of DD's apt in FL that there was a poinsetta blooming that was probably 4' x 4'. There were alot of poinsettas planted in the ground there also.

Mary, he looks sooo innocent! When I came home yesterday, Jaden was lying in my raised bed taking in the sunshine and 50 degree temps.

Marian, congratulations on the 52 years. Nice that you have something blooming. My amaryills did nothing this year.

Woody, that tree and the stained glass bluebirds is fabulous.

I did cut some "for cynthia" branches. Hopefully, they will give me some blooms to tide me over.

We'll all be able to say we knew Sue when she was just a budding artist.

I picture that I got a kick out of, making hummus:

{{gwi:152286}}

Have a great Friday!

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

I was just placing a seed order and see this statement on the top of the website that I thought interesting:

"This is always our busiest time of the year and currently our orders are exceptionally abundant. Due to the economy, the movement to produce locally, and concerns about food safety are motivating factors for this surge. Our phone coverage and work force has been increased by a third."

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I am back from my new doctor appointment with an amazing prescription, namely to swallow a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar a half hour before each meal. Oh my....It is cheaper than capsules, so I've tried it once already and it sure wakes you up!!! The happy news is that she is getting married in Panama in April. I hope for photos because she's a really cute gal and I'm very happy for them!

Chelone, on the court case front...well you are correct on every point. Timing of this seems to be suspect from my point of view, not only because it is kicking a family in the guts at a terrible time in their lives, but also because it comes at a time when a financial decision was made against ex, and that is something she carefully neglects to mention in her affidavit. Anyway, divorce and custody are not pretty issues that bring out the best in people. Especially controling and vindictive types.

One pleasant surprise today was the arrival of my two buddies who are outdoors pruning trees and a few clematis. Ann even trimmed all the hellebores she could reach. There's still plenty of ice and snow here, but because it is 55F, they are happy to be here and working outside. YES! They heard a robin, but so far we have not seen it. While out DH & I saw many folks picking up branches or jogging and generally breathing in fresh air with signs of optimism.

Sue, I love your artwork but can't afford it!

I must go out for a sympathy card (a relative's daughter) and also for a few other errands. I wish I could say I was headed toward a nursery though.

Ciao my friends,
    'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

Coat number one of the clear is accomplished and I've cleaned up the tools. I've even been out on a forced march with His Hugeness. My hindquarters are likin' their present place in the chair. :)

I am reminded now of what a loathesome chore it is to apply "polyurethane" to floors. V. will appreciate the need for stong light to show where you've already been. I was not able to sand, either, it removed too much paint from the design. I'm hoping the uneven character of the Advantec is going to provide adequate "tooth" for the poly., but it doesn't matter now anyway. The die, she is cast and there is no turning back. Refuse to live in fear! I've decided to brush on the next coat, the pad was more of a pain to use, I think; I found it tricky to get even coverage. I used a sheepskin to apply the oil based polyurethane in the boudoir and it wasn't nearly as fiddly. The consistency of the oil-based stuff was more like syrup, the water-based is a lot runnier.

Kenzie looks so intent in that picture. And isn't that a hopeful note from the seed company, Michelle? There are always bound to be some winners and some losers in any economy.

Time to check on the stove and then settle down with my book for a little while. I'm tired!

• jak1
    15 years ago

As I sit here at the computer, I hear a soft voice in the background from DH: "Ajax, what am I to do? I have a fish tank with tongue prints...."

*lol* The dog enjoys the tanks almsot as much as DH...

Chelone - I cracked up at the frustrated "Who needs a stinkin' gym membership? It's all free here in Fronier land."

I know the feeling and yet it struck me as just so funny!!

Congrats, Marian and Nolon! I remember a friend of my children asking how long I had been married, and my answer, 25 years (or so). Following a hushed silence came the question "To the same guy?". A sign of the times, I'm sure. You have done well. And the kind of day you described is just what I really love on anniversaries: a normal day - representative of your lives spent together, doing the things that we do on an "ordinary" day. I don't need to have a big celebration to mark the occasion: life with my DH is the life I want, every day, not just on "special" days. Not well said, but maybe you understand my feelings.

I also cracked up at the can of tomatoes arcing across the kitchen, MaRY. yOUR cLOUSEEAU IS BEAUTIFUL!

aLL THE TALK OF COMBING AND CLIPPING REMINDS ME OF OUR BEAUTIFUL LOVEABLE tEASER, A tRICOLOUR COLLIE SITH HAIR LONGER THAN MINE. aND SHED! yE gODS! WE USED TO CALL THE TUIMBLEWEEDS "tEASER'S KITTENS". i BURNED OUT AT LEAST ONE VACUUM TRYING TO KEEP UP. oNCE i BRUSHED HER OUTSIDE AND LEFT THE HAIR TO BiLLoW AROUND FOR BIRDS AOR BEASTS TO MAKE NESTS. a NEIGHBOUR CALLED TO TELL ME HE THOUGHT THAT OUR DOG HAD JUST KILLED SOMETHING. gUESS WHY i CHOSE A VERY SHORT-HAIRED BEAST THIS TIME!

Sorry about the caps: I don't look while I'm typing and I don't know how to fix that. I am not yelling.

Not much to speak of today. The JJob was an easy one: I Kaboomed all of my stainless steel knives that are not stainless and had stains on them. Something I do, like, once a year.

Talking with DH about vacation plans. Nice thing to do when it is still dreary outside.

Off to make "make your own pizza" for dinner - dough in the bread machine, toppings by Nana, everyone does their own thing. A movie later.

Life is good!

Cheers,

Julie

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

You-all are not going to believe this....it is 83F outside! And 77 inside. I have opened the front and back doors.

After lunch I went out and commenced emptying out the middle storage space in the side of the woodshed. I have used it for years for piling gardening stuff...mostly pots and pans. We decided it would be a good place to put the small rounds of wood that I use to help get a quick, hot fire. Anyway, I had worked at it for over an hour without pausing, when Nolon came out of the house and walked up with the question," Are you making any progress" !!!!! He hadn't even looked to see that the top shelf was empty, and the middle one was almost empty! I responded, " well, if I haven't, I sure have wasted a lot of time" ! He went on about his business, and I retired to the house...to my bedroom, with the door closed. :-(

Pm2, I appreciate your efforts, espacially since you are not feeling up to posting. I do hope you get back to your old self. We need your wisdom. I haven't taken the time to read your last link, of 1957, but will....

Saucy, one of the neighbor women attempted the growing of mushrooms in logs. Nolon cut her a couple of hundred logs , and she drilled holes in them and 'sowed' the mushrooms. She had very very little success. I think others have fared better in this area. I would suggest starting small...not like she did. I found an interesting site about growing Shitaki Mushrooms. I have posted the link below.
    BTW, you can adopt me as your foster grandmother. And you are very welcome to come visit my hillbilly home. :-)

Chelone, I may have known the name of those darling dafs, but don't remember. They were potted ones that I bought in bloom, and set out at the appropriate time. They are spreading nicely. I have another variety of miniatures that have started blooming today. They are in the bed where the Ninebark is/was. A third variety is in the bed below the Bladdernut, and more in front of the house.
    I will take my yard clean-up any time to what you are doing. I never was into that. I do admire you for doing it, though. Actually, all this type of work makes me hurt just thinking about it! I would rather hurt while working in the yard. :-)

Michelle, I love the intense look on Kenzie's face. She looks as though she is enjoying that job. I don't believe I have ever tasted Humus. I looked at a container if it in the groc store last week , and decided against it. I am not too fond of chickpeas.
    I am glad to hear that gardening businesses are picking up in this 'depressing' time. Our son is getting into the growing of food items more this year, also. I sure wish he lived closer to us.

Marie, I rather like Cider Vinegar, but I guess it can take your breath away, if by the tablespoonful. How fortunate you are to have gardening buddies who come and helf you with your yard work.
    We have seen robins off and on all winter. I saw a flock of them last tuesday on my way to town.

I got most of the small debris cleaned up from back of the house today. Next I need to work on the side yard to the southeast of the house. If we do not get more downed debris, by mowing time I will be all set to go. :-)

I wish I could post the sound of the peepers. They are really loud, all around us, and on the way to town whenever we pass a pond. Later on it will be the tree frogs.

Marian

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I"ve been over at Jen's organizing all of the baby stuff most of the day. How can one teeny tiny person need so much stuff? I'll get some pictures of the nursery for you all to see when we get everything done. We're working on it again one day next week. We all got together and had lunch with my dad today too. He's doing ok, still really missing my mom but I expect that will be the case for quite awhile. They were married for 53 years, married Oct 1955.

Which brings me to wishing Marian and Nolon a Happy 52nd! I liked your description of how you both spent the day together.

Marie, Brad does the apple cider vinegar thing too. Braggs Organic Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. He mixes it into a bottle of water before he drinks it.

Michelle, cute picture of Miss Kenzie!

Deanne, I've looked at some of the flower show pics and love what I've seen so far. I'm hoping to get back to the viewing the rest tonight. I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to put them up for us. I know it's time consuming. I'm really enjoying them and have already gotten a couple of ideas from them.

Chelone, you're in the home stretch now on the floor. I say embrace the imperfections. Afterall it is a floor and will acquire more patina with time. I happen to like that look but know not everyone does.

PM, do pop in and out when you can and don't worry about posting anything other than letting us know how you're doing if that's all you're up to. I'm interested in looking at your 1957 link as that's the year I was born.

I have more to say, don't I always, but I have to feed the child so until next time.......

Eden

• chelone
    15 years ago

Well, I have to report on the floor again, you guys. Scroll on by if you've already rolled your eyes ;). I loved chemistry and the whole "science" of paints fascinates me. There are a litany of new rules regulating the manufacture of paints and it's really put the sqeeze on those of us who actually prefer oil-based paints, so the whole latex scene is new territory for me. I'm accustomed to the levels of gloss available for oil paints and polyurethanes and have been very disappointed with what is supposed to pass for "high gloss" in the latex offerings. It's nothing even close to a slick, high gloss in alkyd paints.

I selected a satin finish water-based "polyurethane" for the floor, assuming the sheen would be similar to the oil-based stuff. WRONG. It's really very shiney and I was very surrised when I went out a little while ago to make sure the temperature was lowered in the space. It's now glossier than it was when I finished the painting and that's precisely the opposite of what I've experienced with alkyd deck paint and oil-based poly.. Go figure. (I even checked the cans to make sure I hadn't dragged home a semi-gloss gallon by accident.) And it smells sour!

I can easily identify the "holidays" in the finished surface and have tagged them with painter's tape. I'll hit them first thing in the morning and then continue the second coat. It's interesting that the gloss really plays up the uneven surface of the Advantec; it reminds me of the textured surface they now put on appliances. It looks sort of cool and sparkley.

I laughed aloud at Nolon's comment about your JulieJob, Marian. Sounds like something my boss would say... lol. Good thing you have your very own clubhouse to retire to when you can't take it any more.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hello there Idylls, and a welcome Friday it is too. The good news is there is no rain in the forecast for this weekend, and the bad news is there is no rain in the forecast for this weekend. We still are in drought alert stage. Im going to thin and transplant some of my seedlings this weekend , and sow more, although I have not received my T&M order yet.
    A brief WALAT tonight revealed Dicentra pushing up, Clematis forming buds, and continued lily activity. My DS bought a new tripod yesterday and gave me his old one- even though I dont have my cool new camera yet (UPS tracking advised me that it left Hodgekins Ill at 2.09 am today, its closer to V than me !) but I may try to get some more emerging spring photos with the old one this weekend.

Mary, the pic of Clousseau reclining languidly on the compost is priceless- I have nicknamed one of my cats (Doobie) Compost Kitty for his enjoyment of same. It seems wherever I lay it down he is sleeping on it- and of course he brings it inside too !

Sue, though it would not be a stretch to assume I was doing wine related time traveling, my intent was to wish all a Friday Eve as in New Years Eve, Christmas Eve etc, lol. It would be pretty disappointing to come home from the awfice thinking it was Friday and then learn it was in fact Thursday instead.

Michelle, Kenzie sure seems to grow-up quickly ! I always feel a it of a chill when I see her in her summer garb , Im sitting here in fleece and long-johns !

So bug, what task does the vinegar perform ? Hoping all the drama for DD and family dissipates at some point.

Julie, when I saw all those caps I thought maybe you were posting from the wine deck having had one too many , lol. Im going to KABOOM the upstairs shower tommorow. My JJ for the weekend.

All for me tonight, I am going to watch "Walk Tall the Dewy Cox Story " tonight and retire early, hoping for 8 hours ; a full nights sleep has been in short supply lately.
    Waving to all

Kathy in Napa

P.S. Fine Gardening , Plant Combinations, Deannes mailbox garden, check it out

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I'm back from the movies. We almost NEVER go to movies, but tonight we saw a romantic comedy, Last Chance Harvey. Not a GREAT, but I do enjoy Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. There are laugh out loud moments as well as shed a tear ones too.

I am hoping that more snow vanishes tomorrow and that I can prune some more clematis. We shall see. Time to hit the sack. I've overdone the treadmill thing I think!

Kathy, here's a blurb about cider vinegar, dosages, brands, etc....

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

I thought I had enough brain cells left to make a coherent post, but then I read Kathy's post and was trying to figure out where she had seen a lot of hats ("caps") in Julie's post. I think perhaps I need some sleep as well.

Tomorrow afternoon DH and I are going to a soap-making workshop. I'm never done anything "crafty" with DH, so this will be interesting. Wednesday we're going to a very intriguing workshop on farmland preservation. And strictly as a precautionary measure, the resume is out of the starting gate, spinning out of the turn...

C'est la vie, says V.

• babs_clare
    15 years ago

Hello you idylls!!

I've been searching for an hour to find what happened to David-MARY! I'm just so sad he was hurt and how bad it was. Poor little guy-though he sounds like a strong willed young man-that will help. And Mary how emotional to read of when things were at the worst-your words could almost make me feel your exhaustion from worry. How long do they expect his recovery to take? Hugs to you and David(gingerly though so as not to cause any ouches).

Woody-I caught the news as I was scrolling around. I'm so sorry you've gotten that bad news. I'll certainly keep you in my thoughts.

Deanne-Hi girl! Just wanted you to know you got a "Way cooool!!" from AJ-he's our raptor expert and he was awed by being able to see the crisp details of the Cooper. I say it's Way Cool too!

There's nothing like having cocktails under the table-(I guess that was a thread or so back)everyone should try it once!
    SUE you gorgeous chick. I love your new hair style! ALL of you beauties under the table look fabulous-it's nice to see you all.

Chelone- who knew a woman who would pose amongst,beside and beneath most anything she finds would choose such a beautiful wall color.(that made no sense) I love that hue so much I already have it in my living room. I'm such a smart arse. I've had the same color for 13 yrs and I still can't come up with another shade I like better-it's very cheerful.

PM-did you sense I was thinking of you last week? I was wondering if you're planting peas this year? I will on St. Patty's day. I also want to start some cherry tomatoes indoors.

Eden-big hugs! I hope you are doing well-I got a glimpse of Bella and Michelle's Kenzie too-they are growing up too fast! I remember when they were so tiny-sigh.; )

Saucy- Hi! About a month ago I watched The Secret Life of Bees-GREAT movie and naturally the bee huts made me think of you. i hope your kids are doing great.

V-so when's the wedding? Why do I smell gasoline? Do you smell anything?

Hi to Cynthia-what great projects are you up to-probably seedlings?

I really need to go, Chris rented the movie Australia-he's sucking up to me because I was irritated with him earlier....men.

I will do my best to return...I'm kind of kind of like spring-I always comes back-eventually. : )

~Babs

Hi Marian! Hugs to 'Bug, and the the rest I didn't mention yet.

Now Chris is cleaning the bathroom sink...this could be fun. men.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Babs ! Howdy gal, from out here on the left coast...don't be such a stranger --IU6 is calling to you -how do you feel about Bloody Marys?

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Hey! Hey! How great to 'see' Babs ! Now you will have to come back to see how many are happy to see you here. :-)
    How was the "Australia" movie? I always like movies about that country.

Our March winds returned about a half an hour after I posted yesterday morning. And it is still blowing.... Not a good time to be under hangy down limbs!

Our low is 58F right now. It is to be mid 70s today. Its 'only' 20 or more degrees above average. Ha.

Julie, your 'CAPS" post was the same time as my post, and I missed seeing it.
    Actually, we had not even thought about it being our 52nd. But even if we had, we would have done no differant.
    As for our marriage, it is not paradise, but it is what we got, and we are sticking with it. :-)
    Hmmm, I need to Kaboom my non-stainless stainless steel knives. I am presuming that is the name of a product?

Eden, I suspect your dad will always miss your mom. I'm glad he is doing okay.

Chelone, fortunately, you do not live with your boss lady. I've lived with such remarks daily for many a year. And with contradictions of most of what I say. Yesterday I layed down to recoup. :-)

Kathy, I am so sorry about your drought. We have severe storms in our forecast for tonight and tomorrow. The rain is welcome, the 'severe' is not!

Hope all are looking forward to a nice weekend.

Marian

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good sunny morning to all!

I simply cannot believe that its 50 degrees out and sunny at 8:30 in the AM. Woohoo! Maybe Doug and I can do some cleanup outside. Rahjii is having a ball running around like a nutcase outside.

Hey Babs! Great to see you. Dont be a stranger! Chris was washing the bathroom sink?! He must really have been in the doghouse. LOL

So V. what kind of soap are you going to make? What made DH decide to learn soapmaking???

Kathy, sounds like spring is well under way there. Im looking forward to seeing your pics. When does the new camera get to the West Coast??

Chelone Im sure the floor is going to be great.

OK Im going to get dressed and get outside and enjoy this day..Waving hello to one and all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

It's a dull morning and 32F. Out the window we have already seen squirrels and mink. Yesterday we saw a muskrat and last night we saw a huge fat raccoon. The mink have been running along the creek banks and I suspect are searching for muskrats. I hope Phoebe does not attempt to catch one. That could be quite nasty.

Well Babs! I'm glad to be part of the welcome committee here! We need an update on the boys, as well as on what craftiness you have been up to. What is going on with the sale of the house these days? Have you moved into your Mom's place? Garden plans?

I'm in the middle of changing and washing sheets...so later guys!
    'bug

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I think you all will get a kick out of Nolon's 'carriage' that he concocted to haul his woodcutting equipment:

{{gwi:152287}}

And with the entire load:
    {{gwi:152288}}

Here is just one of the 10-12 piles of limbs that I have dragged from the yard:

{{gwi:152289}}

This morning Nolon is taking a hiatus from the cutting in order to build a cutting rack for the long limbs. He has one already, but it is up at the sawmill, and his pickup is disabled, so he cannot bring the rack home. He is running out of material to build things from, so is robbing the old chicken house of the roosts for this creation. :-)

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

What a delight to be sitting here with the window cracked open! Yesterday was our first day during March over freezing, and to say that we're all a bit weery of winter would be a huge understatement.

((Woody/Susan)) Did some googling and am entirely convinced that no one human should have to go through what you're going through. My thought for you is "It's almost Spring, celebrate the promise of the Season whenever you can!!" Thoughts are with Randy, too, of course.

Love, love, love Jen's/Kate's shower decor and am pirating the idea for a shower at work. We take turns throwing "life event" parties and the pics couldn't have come at a better time.

Marian and Nolon, the consummate definition of Agape if I've ever seen it. Also being a 1957 birthee (lots of us here!!) with the realization of how long that really is, I'm not surprised that you collectively come up with the best way to get every task done without even talking about it. Congratulations! Hope you can at least get to the One Stop for celebration.

Deanne -- Don't think I have had a chance: (Doug). Glad he's able to find fill-ins here and there, as much to keep busy as for the $$. The Philly photos will be revisited often.

When Sue starts wearing a beret I'll be worried ;-)

Have been following the Alberta goings on, Marie, and wish I could get the ex into a room for five minutes and talk to her about what all this could do to the relationship she has with Skyler in the long run. ENOUGH!! (caps on purpose) Glad you like the new grandbaby names DD's chosen.

Kenzie all of a sudden doesn't look like a little girl anymore, Michelle! Fingers crossed for your garage...

Julie - I need to borrow TCS since my young neighbor across the street all of a sudden doesn't want carrots in the garden because they "aren't a cool veggie." Where the heck to they come up with things like this???? The round carrots got his interest, though, because they're different. He needs carrot lessons from an expert :0

Mary -- So Glad David is feeling a bit better and that the pain management folks were able to help. With a complete understanding of the 1-10 pain system, that he felt a 5 coming down the hill can ONLY mean he was numb, I think. Good that he's laughing and making music. Isn't there a major recital coming up?

I've been keeping up with all the happenings and Eden's countdown to Spring needs to be continued on the next thread, methinks!!

Not much new here other than the State Appropriations Committee, for the very first time, is sending a delegation to my brother's hospital to see what they do there. The notice to the hospital announcing the visit specifically cited my testimony as "getting the attention of members" and for that I am very grateful.

Heading outside for WALATing (WAHOO!!!!!) and to assess any major winter damage to shrubs. Okay, it's just an excuse to soak up some all-natural Vit D! LOL

Martie

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Mornin Idylls ! I went out to retrive the newspaper and spent some quality time with the snails who had taken up residence within the foliage of my dayliles. Alas , they are no more-shells of their former selves.

Marian, Nolon has clearly taken re-purposed to a new level ! That is really rather clever I must say ..might be worthy of a post on Julies Using whatcha you got" thread, lol !

Have read with interest bugs link on the wonders of apple cider vinegar-particularly the promise of a rosy glow if you suffer from a pale countenance .

Time to do a couple Julie Jobsback later..

Kathy in Napa

• babs_clare
    15 years ago

Kathy! Is left coast kind of like left field? LOL: )
    I'll have mine with a twist of lime,dash of tabasco and a celery stalk please. As you can tell I hate bloody marys; ) I was tempted long ago about IU6 but I still can't give a definite yet. Maine has always been a place we've wanted to investigate. If I came I'd bring my tent.

Marian I liked 'Australia' though it wasn't spectacular. It had less substance than I think it could have but then it would have been an even longer movie. I'm kind of disappointed that Nicole Kidman looks like she's had some work done on her face-I really think she would be someone that ages gracefully-she's only 41! I was really distracted by trying to figure out what she did to herself, lol.
    BTW Happy Anniversary!!

Deanne not only did he do the sink but he unloaded/reloaded the dishwasher and did three loads of laundry.(!!!) We were disagreeing about how we're supposed to make time for household tasks and activities when every Sat. we are using over half the day tending to his mom who isn't as incapable as she lets on and actually does get out of the house with friends(she lays guilt trips on Chris). Really our main reason to go there is her loneliness and do her laundry. She has her cousin staying over this weekend which is a perfect opportunity for us to do our home tending stuff. I have Ryan's first communion gathering to prep for(as in finish mudding the bathroom walls,etc.)and more immediately Ryan's Bday is next weekend so I have to do a massive declutter and bday prep.(and that's the nutshell version lol) Chris will go do her laundry today but I'm insisting that the boys stay home and help clean their fingerprints off the white door mouldings and windows and do a general spring cleaning with me.
    Oh I'm so sorry Doug is out of employment!

GB-on the home sale front,we are holding off for the immediate time being.It's really bad timing. Houses in our hood are just not doing anything so I'd rather not have my house on the market for years. My mom is holding her own & her health is great right now so we can hold off(she just turned 78). Honestly if I knew I could sell quickly this would be the perfect time to buy for both my mom and us. At least right now our house is still worth more than we paid for it-many houses are not! it's just sad.

The track season is upon us. This time Ryan will also partcipate. Andrew had gravitated to cross country but the coach thinks he could be fairly competitive for track and field since he's decreased his times considerably-so he's going to give it another try. *I* am looking forward to being able to walk the track three times a week and burn off the blubber I've accumulated over winter: )

I'm very proud of Ryan who has settled down quite a bit and is pulling all A's at school-sometimes I do worry that he gets a little OCD over the grades he gets! He's still not so much a lover of reading on his own but he is more open to reading to me. He got a new erector set for Christmas and as we watch him create and perfect I can see he's got an engineer's mind. I enjoy watching him grow.
    AJ is already looking into high schools(he finishes the 8th grade next yr) and be still my heart, he wants to study LATIN for his foreign language : ) He's still as artistic as ever. He has to do a grid repeat pattern for an art project and while most kids did simple geometric designs he's done an intricate organic design that looks like koi kissing but instead of making a transfer sheet(like a carbon copy paper to duplicate the image)he's doing all the 'koi' free hand. I can't wait to see how it is finished. He's just finished To Kill A Mockingbird in reading class and I really enjoy talking to him about the social themes of it and getting his perspective. [I'm bragging too much-sorry]

Chris is great-when I let him out of his dog house; )lol
    It took a while but he's finally feeling confident about being a professor and his students love him(they don't know he flings his socks and leaves the toilet seat up)

I'm back as the health aide at school and enjoying the sick and not so sick 'I-just-want-to-get-out-of-class' kids.
    At the moment I'm helping our k-garten teacher build cardboard cottages with thatched roofs and a faux soup kettle for the 'Stone Soup' opera she's directing-it's going to be so cute!
    I've been doing all the PTU stuff too so that's really why I don't get here hardly at all. : (
    I don't mean to sound like a lush but it cracks me up that our executive PTU board meetings take place at a local restaurant that makes really nice margaritas...yet we still get things accomplished-they are a very fun group.

Cynthia's going to have a coronary when she sees how long this post is. Pop an aspirin Cynthia; )[assuming she will even read this far down lol]

I better stop procrastinating(PRATTing)and round up my cleaning assistants.

Have a great day!

~Blaaaaabs

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

So happy to see Blabs and to catch up with her family!

Deanne, we're making goats' milk soap, and the class includes hands-on with the goats. :) I'm not sure why DH decided he wanted to do this with me. I think it will be interesting.

V.

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great to catch up with you Babs and good to hear things are going so well for your family. You can never brag too much about your kids/grandkids in Idylland I don't think. I figure if others aren't interested in that part they can just skip on by :) I don't think many do though. I know I don't. I love hearing about the Idyll kids growing up.

V, the soap making sounds "interesting". LOL. Have fun with it!

Martie, such a nice post from you catching up with everyone. Enjoy the first stroll of the season through your garden!

Marian, I enjoyed seeing Nolon intovatively designed cart. You guys have gotten alot of work done.

Time to put Bella down for a nap and start working on the birthday cake.

Eden

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Happy Anniversary to Marian and Nolan!! Sounds like the two of you were working like a well-oiled machine, musical chairs and all :) What a handy way to recycle an old mower-very clever!

Mary-SO sorry about the tomato incident, but you have such a wonderful way of telling it!

Michelle-that's such a nice picture of Kenzie. She always looks so intent on what she's doing. Interesting statement from the seed company. I've wondered if maybe more people with put out veggie gardens with the economy being what it is.

Chelone, I really feel for you with the polyurethane on the floors. Been there, done that...yeesh!

BAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBSSSS!!!!!!!!! :)
    Had to laugh a little about the boys helping to clean their fingerprints off the moldings. BOTH of my kids are good about keeping their paws off the molding, and using doorknobs and cabinet handles becuase they've been in on those cleaning projects. DH is another story altogether. Wow, AJ is looking toward high school...where DOES time go!?

Julie, we don't have a fish tank, but there are two windows I can always count on to have dog marks. If Gus thinks there's something in a three mile radius, he gets up in the window and does a weird, "Hmmph" thing through his nose :(

Not much going on here at the farm. DB is through his chemo. The insurance company will only pay for a PET scan every 60 days since he's done doing treatments. I'm not sure I understand that logic, seems like when you're not getting treatment would be the time to keep a close eye on things. He's looking forward to spending time in his gardens.

I need to get at some Julie Jobs. Time to get the house in order for the coming farming season, I just can't seem to get started at it. Housework + Me = Oil + Water :)
    Later, all!
    Brenda
    PS. V- Oh, I KNEW better than to buy SkyDog wine, lol...just couldn't resist the dog in the cape, lol! I took my punishment and will never do it again ;)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Brenda, SkyDog has to be better than apple cider vinegar!

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Hey Babs!! Great to hear from you!! Glad you and teh boys are doing well. Thanks for asking about David. The broken femur will soon be weight bearing (2 weeks) but the real bear has been the nerve damage and resulting pain in the leg and foot (Oops, two bears in one sentance). David has drop foot (no response to trying to lift his toes) which could take up to a year to recover. I don't know what that will mean in terms of activity - I have a long list of questions for the surgeon at our next visit. In the meanwhile we are remaining positive, doing all the physical therapy exercises diligently and keeping fingers crossed it is sooner rather than later. There other long term concerns but none we can do anything about right now so we are focussing on things we can control and improve.

David is enjoying being back at school and there sounds as if there are some high jinks going on in the wheelchair travels between classrooms. He has a pass to leave class 5 minutes early, plus a key to the elevator, and being able to choose his companion has made him extremely popular. Given all he has had to give up I'm glad he is having some boyish fun again though I've made him promise nothing dangerous.

Today David played bass in his Saturday orchestra for the first time since his accident. He really had fun, especially as his stand partner is one of the basses for the RPO. We all went out for Indian food after and although David was exhausted by the time we got home, it was in a good way.

Hope you don't mind me bragging a little but Annie recieved a letter yesterday saying she had made the High School Honor roll the last two marking quarters. It's hard to explain just how special this is as she has overcome so much to get to this point. Although bright and creative, school work has not always come easily to her. Annie's brain was just wired differently. In fact in elementary school she needed a lot of extra support and various therapies just to keep up with grade level work. Middle school was hard but she kept plugging away, despite often getting grades in the low C range. It's hard to stay motivated when you don't have the satisfaction of good grades to show for your effot. But now Annie has A's in all the core subjects, works completely independently and is flying. We couldn't be more pround.

V - I'll look forward to hearing about you and your DH's adventures in soap making. I've dabbled a little with glycerin based soaps but would love to make some others. My DH would run a mile rather than join me.

Martie - it will be interesting to hear what the committee come up with at your brother's hospital. You asked about David's recitals - he has two orchestra concerts coming up in the next fortnight.

Marian - I love creative ingenuity like that!! Your brush piles must represent a lot of work.

I'm off to purchase a couple of placemats as I've seen a really cool pattern for turning them into purses and it looks just the sort of thing I'd enjoy doing.

Mary

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Lol, the newlyweds seem happy!
    {{gwi:152290}}

Yeah, 'Bug, it WAS better than apple cider vinegar. I have a cousin who swears by a shot of vinegar every day for cholesterol and pretty much anything else that ails you.

Mary, it's great to hear about Annie! Good for her-the hard work pays of with some recognition :)
    Brenda

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Upon reviewing my weather info, I must note that a few Idylls had warmer temps to day notably Marian , Cindy, maybe Cynthia, Sue..etc .. However , a beautiful day here none the less, with that brightness that only happens in spring, everything so green and succulent. Later Ill make the rounds of all the clocks and spring them forward.
    I thinned the seedlings today , and transplanted some of them into 3 inch pots. One of my books warned against waiting to long to transplant Amaranthus the seedlings do seem very delicate . I left some in the cell pack just in case. I still await my Celosia spicata seeds.

Babs, bragging about the offspring is a well established Idyll civil right ! Were just glad to have you around . If you do attend IU6 with the tent, we will expect a hospitality suite ..how many of us can fit in there ?

Deanne, UPS tells me that I will receive my camera on Tuesday. Ive taken a couple of on-line tutorials on SLRs and look forward to learning how to use it properly. Thanks for the bluebird over yonder by the way! Last week when I was driving home form wok I saw what appeared to be 2 blue birds in the front yard of a house a few blocks away from mine. We dont see them much around here so I thought maybe they were jays and I just mistook them . A couple of days later I saw them again so I pulled over they were in fact BBs . A rare sight around here.

Happy for the WALAT opportunity at C. Pahk, the Salon project continues , hoping PM is feeling ok , and thinking we need a post from Denise..

Later friends, ravioli with pesto tonight

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, almost forgot about this piece of frivolity from yesterday.. a live viewing of a vignette from our Deannes mailbox garden, note cheap white wine and a piece of paper with the tracking number for my cool new camera !

Photo appears in FG's Plant Combinations a special issue -not the regular mag.We knew her when ! Enjoy !

{{gwi:152291}}

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Huge Julie job here today. We spent quite a bit of the day in the basement cleaning and pitching. There are several boxes for the thrift store. It looks 100% better.

DH has started the apple cider vinegar lately. He has a vinegar home remedy book and according to that it cures what ails you. Hes trying to get me to try it, says its good for hot flashes. He came down with a cold today so I made him a pot of homemade chicken soup. Between that and the vinegar, he should be over it in no time.

Mary, I can certainly understand how proud you are of Annie. Jeremy was that way but it took until college for him to come into his own. Glad to hear that David is able to participate in normal activities.

Brenda, the newlyweds look extremely happy. I hope your DB has a wonderful gardening season.

Babs, how wonderful to hear from and have such a newsy update.

Martie, I ordered red carrots this year.

In the garden I do see a few things poking up, sedum and the fern leaf peonies. The robins have been here for several weeks.

Kathy, a glass of wine and garden magazine are a great combination.

Country Gardens magazine was in the mailbox, so I think Ill retire with that.

Good night

Michelle

I found this book in the basement and the last two pages struck me.

{{gwi:152292}}

• chelone
    15 years ago

Rex and I have circumnavigated the Compound already and I'm about set for a refill on the coffee. It really smells like spring out there. It's warm and there is the only the trickle of melt water to break the quiet. I've hauled out the muck shoes. I've just turned the clocks ahead. I don't understand what the big deal is about something as arbitrary as "daylight savings" (this is a standing joke with the fishermen, too).

What fun to hear from Blabs. Always fun to hear from a long quiet voice. Life takes us down different paths periodically and it's always fun to get a shot of new news here in Idyll land. It's hard to believe AJ is getting ready to move into high school. Latin? sounds pretty cool, when you need someone to speak to a dead Centurian you'll be all set, won't you? ;) Does AJ presently study a foreign language? I had to chuckle about the divying up of household chores, too. Lately, I've been the standard bearer in that department and when I've "cracked the whip" the reaction has been predictably sluggish. I am yoked in matrimony to the king of fingerprints and his debris trail can be overwhelming at times. Stick to your guns, Nurse Ratchett.

Interesting read about Annie's struggles, it certainly underscores the importance of mastery of basic skills for future success and also the necessity of parental involvement to see that mastery is achieved. It must be terribly frustrating for a teacher to be faced with a challenged student who get little support and encouragement on the home front, so I can only imagine what a lovely surprise it must have been for Annie's teachers to see a nuturing support system in place for her. And I'm quite certain her own self-confidence shines like a beacon as a result of all that hard work. Thing like that brighten my day.

The arts... oh boy, where to start? I will never understand why they are the first things to be cut from a curriculum (personally think getting rid of some "administrators" would be more prudent). I believe everyone has a streak of creativity and fostering it brings out the best in people. And yet we put so little value on it. We cut it in curricula, we squelch it in the workplace, and assign it low priority. I recall how devastated I was in a new school when I was told the limited spaces in the art program were "for kids with real talent" (no one looked at my Jr. High portfolio, however). And there was no music for those of us who didn't play an instrument, either. The arts foster creative thinking that spills over into the "core curriculum". I laud those parents who foster a love for the arts in their kids. Good for you!

Marian, Nolon's supply wagon cracked me right up. That is SO much like the helpmeet, BIL, and my late FIL. And it's one of the reasons I'm having such trouble getting culled items out to the kerb for trash day... seems everything to be tossed out could find life in another form, lol. I am very impressed by the scope of the yard clean up that's been keeping you and Nolon busy these past weeks. One of the things I found so satisfying last fall was how some carefully directed effort made such a big difference in how things appeared. And how I felt about taking on a task that seemed so huge and daunting at the time. Little bit by little bit... . Seems to me, though, that what Nolon really needs is a RECLINER on wheels (maybe motorized?) so he can flip it back and watch you work from a supine position. :)

It's going to be probably a solid month before I hear Peepers around here, they usually pipe up just about the time the last of the ice melts in the pond, though often I hear them earlier in warmer parts of town. I love them, they are for me (along with Redwing Black birds) the real harbinger of spring.

And nice to hear news from Martie, too. I'm glad things are looking up at Cornfield Park. I think of Rich whenever news of the housing downturn and its effect on construction makes the news. We received a mailing from a rather high end builder the other day. The focus of it was on remodelling and historically sympathetic renovation, with the "no job is too small" inclusion prominently displayed. Made me wonder about how that jackass electrician who jerked us around is faring these days... . I will be interested to hear what the outcome of the SAC's visit to the hospital is; you have been such a tireless advocate for your brother and all those who struggle with mental illness. It speaks to a deep understanding of how important it is to tend to their special needs, esp. in times of financial crisis. It's a lonely fight, I'm sure, and you should rightfully be proud of your commitment to their welfare and the welfare of the larger society. I smiled at round carrots... when the little weirdos decide they don't "like" the regular kind it's time to outfox 'em and throw 'em a round one, ain't it? :)

Brenda, great shot of the newlyweds. But looking at SIL I kept thinking he reminded me of someone famous and funny... I struggled with it all evening and then it came to me. ANDY KAUFMAN! I grant you, Andy was one strange dude, but he was pretty funny. As long as SIL doesn't take up big time wrestling he'll be just fine, lol.

OK, gotta get movin' to make up for the "lost" hour. Goal today is to remove the blue painter's tape from the mopboard out in the Salon. Talkatcha later!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Breakfast has been cooked and eaten, and it is still dark out! :-(

Of course it would be light if it was not so cloudy. The predicted possible severe weather has not arrived, yet.

It is in the 60s both inside and out. I brought in firewood yesterday, but have not needed it.

Marian

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

DD recently learned that her South African friend Melissa has a birthday 2 days apart from her's. Then they learned that her husband Martin has a birthday 10 days apart from DSIL's! And so last night they all went out for an Indian food celebration together, minus little Noah and super little Chade. Martin is 40 and DSIL will be 42 next week. Because DD is "from away", I am particularly happy that this couple clicks with both of them, that it is because of her that they bonded. Melissa teaches Yoga and Martin is a sculptor who works as a welder during the daytime hours. Not sure why I shared that...

Here at the farm the weather is gloomy, but we expect it to reach about 45F later on. The wildlife is amazing though we did see the start of roadkill yesterday, a great big possum. :( The creek is gushing madly and spilling its banks a bit, likely higher as the day progresses. Still lots of snow patches about and the winter's worth of dog messes needs attention. It's dangerous to walk out there with all those 'land mines'!

I had to laugh a bit about Bab's talk of Latin. My sister adored Latin and had no social life at all because she preferred to sit in a corner reading Cicero or something of that genre. She and Dad spoke Latin at the dinner table... and it always annoyed me back then. I began Latin in high school, but stopped after the first semester. My best friend was in the class and we just talked and giggled the entire time... More recently, I teased my gardener friend, an aged hippy, who was kicked out of high school and went on to cooking school instead, that his high school teachers would croak if they could hear him today spouting Latin: Thalictrum roquebrunianum, Calamagrostis brachytricha, etc.... Our kids were immersed in French and Russian, so I feel any foreign language is terrific for the mind. DH would have preferred they learn Spanish as he feels it is more useful. I think Mandarin is fascinating, but I didn't stick with it.

No idea what today will offer. Knitting would be fun. I also began a huge Julie Job of reorganizing recipes. I bought two more 3 ring binders and made a tiny dent in that task yesterday. Part of an ongoing job of trying to see some kitchen counter surface once more.

Andy Kaufman? Well I disagree. The hair is all wrong....

Later!
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Morning, I for one am so happy to see Daylight Saving Time. I like that extra hour of daylight in the evenings and am always sad to see it go in autumn. We've had rain, rain, rain here. Hope it makes all of the sprouts start sprouting. I'm ready for some green! Today's Bella's birthday party so I have lots to do. I'll post a picture of the Hello Kitty cake later if it's not too hideous,lol. I need Babs here to help me decorate it!

Eden

• chelone
    15 years ago

Arbitrarily resetting clocks makes absolutely no sense to me. My schedule has always afforded me as much daylight as I've needed. I wake up well before the sun comes up, regardless of the time of year. I am outdoors regularly with respect to my work and interests, esp. in the more temperate months. The helpmeet works largely outdoors, too and he loves it. I don't really use the "saved" daylight differently either. It just means that for some months I'm in bed before it's dark out. Funny how something as seemingly simple as "available" daylight affects two people so differently.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Extra daylight helps my outlook on life. Less therapy needed! It is arbitrary and seems silly to me in many ways, but if it saves energy, as in heating school and office buildings, that can only be good. Notice I said "if".

I'm eager to see photos of Bella's special day!

Here I see tips of hellebores and expect blooms quite soon!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Before I go out and construct a fence around the front flowerbed to deter the varmints that are eating the flowers, I want to put in my two cents worth on daylight hours. There is no way mankind can add daylight hours. We will get what is betwen sunrize and sunset regardless of what the clocks say. I understand 9-5 workers liking more hours of sunlight in the evening...but the amount of daylight remains the same. Only the clocks have been changed. As for saving on energy, if you have to have your lights on earlier and longer in the morning, how can it be saving energy?
    Just my two cents worth.

Marian

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Mr Google puts it this way Marian: It's good if you're a tennis player!
    Adding daylight to afternoons benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours, but causes problems for farming, entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun. Traffic fatalities are reduced when there is extra afternoon daylight; its effect on health and crime is less clear. Although an early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity, modern heating and cooling usage patterns greatly differ, and research about how DST currently affects energy use is limited and often contradictory.