Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
full_bloom

Scout

Full_Bloom
16 years ago

I tried an experiment by *cutting* the pieces of paper rather than tear them and unfortunately, the experiment did not come out the way I hoped it would. I canÂt even *draw* a straight line, what made me think I could *cut* a straight line...LOL! Anyway, the collage came out too busy too. But, there are elements I like about it, so IÂm going to try again. Next time I think IÂll do 3 smaller collages and make them all less busy by eliminating some elements and will *tear* the papers like I usually do, rather than cut them.

HereÂs the first try:

{{gwi:152316}}
No collage will ever be as endearing as the model! :-)

HereÂs the whole collage:

{{gwi:152318}}
This is one of the elements I want to repeat. I liked using ScoutyÂs nose, eyes, ears, and tail. But in the next one I think IÂll write the words myself, rather than printing them out in vellum. It came out too messy and I didnÂt like the fact that you can see the edges of the vellum paper. I was hoping that it would look see through. Sorry the pic is blurry:

{{gwi:152321}}

IÂll use this one again because I like the way it looks like Scout is laughing at the joke :-):

{{gwi:152323}}

I thought this part turned out awfully cute...LOL! But, maybe too cute for the rest of the piece:

{{gwi:152325}}

Another piece that I think was ruined by the vellum edges showing. But I like this one and the painting I did to repeat the image....IÂll try this again:

{{gwi:152327}}

Scout on his deer hunt:

{{gwi:152329}}

IÂll probably use this element again, just because I love ScoutÂs eyes and I like the quote too:

{{gwi:152331}}
And finally, I just like the leaf effect and the coloring on this part:

{{gwi:152333}}

I canÂt wait to try again! :-)

Comments (17)

• just_t
    16 years ago

Ei, what a neat idea(s) and tribute to a wonderful pet. I agree, the original is pretty wonderful looking. :)

T.

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

I'm with you in the can't cut/draw/plant/walk a straight line club, but JEEZ!!!! the thought and energy that went into this more than makes up for any superfluous flaws :-)

What a great thing to do.

Martie

• denisez10
    16 years ago

The closeups of the details are beautiful. Sounds like maybe you'd prefer a gallery-of-Scout effect rather than one large collage? Whatever the result, what a lovely process to enjoy of a great guy, Ei. You can't go wrong with subject matter like that!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Ei, the birch trees and the woman is my favorite. (Wouldn't mind a closer look at that). It's all special, but Scout's pose in that one looks so fun :)

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Wow! Your work is beautiful. Sarah is over my shoulder and she's wanting to work on a collage for Zeus.

Scout is a beautiful muse.

Thank you for sharing.

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Ei, there is Scout! Nice to see a photo of him again. Lovely dog! I enjoyed looking at your collage. I was not a bit surprised that it is so creative after having seem the table in your kitchen. Love all of the ideas you had. Especially love the portrait of him in the middle and the one where he seems to be looking back at a path with trees on either side. Have you actually painted the art work on it?

pm2

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Ei - that is very, very cool!! How creative and so special. I love the use of all the mixed media. You've made me want to start collaging. Thank you for sharing with us all.

Mary

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Great idea Ei. I take it that the pics are made on a copy machine? Then are thay glued to the background? I made a much less extensive version of a collage a time or 3 for the Extension Homemaker's Fair exhibit. That was many years ago.

• Full_Bloom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well thanks everyone! You are always so supportive. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and very therapeutic. :-)

Saucy, I hope Sara does do one of Zeuss. It's a lot of fun and anyone can do it, ages 5 - 85! :-)

PM2, yes, I did do most of the painting. Well, painting/drawing. I use watercolor pencils, which I think are a lot easier to work with than paints and brushes. For the trees in the one pic that you liked, I did have to use acrylic paint cause I wanted to give the leaves texture. Some things I didn't draw, for instance, the picture that Cynthia admires. I love the very Art Deco look of that...it's from an old postcard I saved. For that one I scanned the postcard, printed it out and changed the color of the dog to black and white so it would look like Scout.

Cynthia, I'll try to get a closeup shot of that for you. I really like it too and wish I knew who the artist was. Unfortunately the print is old and wasn't signed.

Marian - yes, all the photos of Scout were scanned or printed from my camera software, as I didn't want to use the originals. I use a product called Matt Medium to bond the pieces to the canvas. I don't know what the difference is between Matt Medium and Decoupage/glue, but that's what was recommended to me, so that's what I use :-)
    What kind of collages did you make for the Extension Fair? Did you save any of them? If so, I'd love to see them. How neat that you were involved in the Extension Fair exhibit. I love going to those types of fairs. It's so wonderful to see what everyone has created. I especially love to see the kids works of art. Some of them are so advanced, I'm just amazed. We go to the fair at my garden girlfriend's cottage every year and we always time it so that we come on the week-end of the fair.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Ei, this is reaaly a work of art. I always wanted to do something like that with my horses. My problem is I always have the great Ideas but no follow through.
    I like the nose eye and tail bits too.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Ei, that is really special. I can tell a lot thought went into it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Ei...I can't draw more than stick figures. [g] You are very creative and have a lot of talent. Is there a particular craft that you enjoy the most?

pm2

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

I am just fascinated by this. You're so creative it's hard to take in all the different parts. It's wonderful and Scout is a special guy.

Jerri

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

I hadn't seen this thread before. Ei, you are SO creative! What a neat project. And what a great job you did on it! My favorite part is the little Scout with angel wings. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

I think Scout is remarkably handsome Eileen. I love his coloring and his beautiful expression. I'm sure you will always treasure this collage-what a great tribute !

Kathy in Napa

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

I hadn't seen this thread before. Ei, you are SO creative! What a neat project. And what a great job you did on it! My favorite part is the little Scout with angel wings. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Eden

• Full_Bloom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the nice things you said! :-)
    Unfortunately, I have to take these pics off today. I need to load up a bunch of pictures of our vacations "west" for one of my girlfriends (hopefully later today when I'm feeling better). I only have so much room on my PT.

Ei