Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Idyll #358 March Winds....And The Beet Goes On....

March Winds Hummel...

{{gwi:152349}}

Yellow Mangel Beet from Seeds of Change...

{{gwi:152351}}

The Wind

I saw you toss the kites on high

And blow the birds about the sky;

And all around I heard you pass,

Like ladies' skirts across the grass

O wind, a-blowing all day long,

O wind, that sings so loud a song!

I saw the different things you did,

But always you yourself you hid.

I felt you push, I heard you call,

I could not see yourself at all Â

O you that are so strong and cold,

O blower, are you young or old?

Are you a beast of field and tree,

Or just a stronger child than me?

Onward March...

Comments (102)

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No time to post at the moment, but PM2's cool chair picture reminded me of this picture. This was from IU3. Each chair is a different color.

{{gwi:152395}}

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Shoooie! My new med almost zonked me out! The first one that I took yesterday about 1PM knocked the pain. The second one taken around 10PM did more than that.....I over slept this morning, and am going around like I'm in a daze.... If I recover soon enough, I will do some more yard work.

V, I guess I missed something....what sort of company are you talking about that has 50,000 varieties of something????

Denise, how do you get those links embeded in your post? I couldn't watch the movie 'cause I don't have the 'Flash' viewer and am afraid to download it on my disfunctional computer. :-(

Thanks Deanne...the occurance is no 'happier' than any other day at this stage. :-) I do not envy you for all the plants and their care. I have too many myself, but small potatos compared to yours. I have a few rooted plants that need potted. They are in water.
    My word! What an outrageous fee for cat tooth care! Highway robbery!

Thanks for the thoughts and Northern Lights pic. Pretty. Nope, not even a cupcake w/candle.

Re: kitchen gadgets...I was given a bread maker (ex-DIL) some years ago, but traded it for something that I would use.I have a crockpot that I have only used once in the 5 years or more that I've had it. My over 30 blender has been idle for years. My mixer is a hand held one that I've had for more than 50 years, and it is still in use. My Black and Decker Handy Chopper is equally as old, and used frequently. ( They don't make things to last like that anymore! ) A well-used Westbend Cooker (that I got in a box of stuff at an auction last year) still works fine, although it looks pretty rough. It has a 1978 date on the bottom! I have gone through many coffee makers ( none of them last long! ), my current one is a Black and Decker. I am on my 3rd Toaster Oven. It is a Procter Silex. My new Microwave is a GE. So is my Roaster Oven. I think that is 'it' except for major appliances....:-)

Kathy, I have never known an Aiden, but it is not a bad choice.I could get used to that. ( One of our friends has a GS named Hayden [or Heyden]. Sounds the same...)

Cindy...so sorry about your "fermenting" problem ( I have moldy cat food hiden all over the house. :-( ) Maybe that is contributing to our illnesses ??? Also sorry about the rude parkers. Such behavior seems to be the 'thing' now-a-days. ( But it probably always has been.)
    So far none of my relatives ( except a maternal aunt) have ever had to contend with long term care. Neither have any of Nolon's. So I am not familiar with that. We do not have any such policies.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I am having problems posting!! I reviewed my post and added Pm2's name to the line about The Northern lights pic, and put my name at the bottom....but it would not 'submit'!!! It kept going to the box that tells you to type in your member name, etc. !!!
    What's up???

Marian

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Just a quick post to give Maid Marian a Bridal Veil for her anniversary :-)
    {{gwi:152396}}

On the issue of kitchen appliances, our essential ones include a Kitchen Aid stand mixer (as well as a hand held mixer of course), a waffle iron (actually - two - a stove-top one and an electric one which was a recent purchase to replace the aging stove-top one...) , an electric griddle, a Cuisinart, and a crockpot - all of them are well used!

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

To my astonishment, this just opened yesterday! I've had it for about 5 years. For you Marian and Nolon!

{{gwi:152398}}

No Cuisinart, no crockpot....a hand held egg beater, which mystifies the younger generation. :) We have a new waffle maker, compliments of DD & DSIL. Also, both cars fit in the garage and are kept there too, along with the riding mower.

We too have an anniversary coming up, in May. I bet DH doesn't even know it. No big deal here.

Bought myself tulips today. That is a sign of spring when the grocery store begins stocking them! Also bought toys for the small folk. They don't need a thing, but I'm a Nana and just have to do it. Right Eden? DGS will be 9 in April. He's been a naughty monster lately. It's really so hard having two parents in different homes with different philosophies. He's been lying, bullying in the playground, talking in class....all the rotten stuff. Hard to know how much is HIM, how much being a third grader, how much related to his unique and complex heart and hearing problems. I guess I just have to worry even when the kid isn't my own!

Later,
    'bug

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

To my astonishment, this just opened yesterday! I've had it for about 5 years. For you Marian and Nolon!

{{gwi:152398}}

No Cuisinart, no crockpot....a hand held egg beater, which mystifies the younger generation. :) We have a new waffle maker, compliments of DD & DSIL. Also, both cars fit in the garage and are kept there too, along with the riding mower.

We too have an anniversary coming up, in May. I bet DH doesn't even know it. No big deal here.

Bought myself tulips today. That is a sign of spring when the grocery store begins stocking them! Also bought toys for the small folk. They don't need a thing, but I'm a Nana and just have to do it. Right Eden? DGS will be 9 in April. He's been a naughty monster lately. It's really so hard having two parents in different homes with different philosophies. He's been lying, bullying in the playground, talking in class....all the rotten stuff. Hard to know how much is HIM, how much being a third grader, how much related to his unique and complex heart and hearing problems. I guess I just have to worry even when the kid isn't my own!

Later,
    'bug

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Sorry, I seem to be stuttering.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I ordered my bees tonight. They'll be southern bees from Georgia :)

Happy Anniversary Marian. 15, 51....aren't they all the same? I can't believe I've been married 15 and can't imagine 51.

I'm too tired....they talked more tonight than last week...

TTYL
    Saucy

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Good Morning all....
    This stupid computer is acting weirder and wierder every day. If it survives I will be surprised, and after paying 60+ dollars to have it fixed! Yaargh !( and over $35 the first time! )
    Since other options have failed, I will call the telephone company and ask for a check of our phone lines.

Woody, I love the falls pic. I can almost hear the roar...:-) Thank you.

Marie,thank you too. your Amarylis is lovely ( both pics,lol.) Mine that is fixing to open may be the same variety.The first bloom should be open today.

Saucy, 15 years can seem like 51. :-( You either adjust to the annoyances or just try to block them out. Having good health certainly would help.....
    A neighbor up the road has bee hives on his place. I think they belong to someone else. The honey is sold locally. A man had hives on my dad's farm. The most vivid memory that I have of them is when I was attacked, while I was walking in the pasture, and ran like mad swatting at my hair. I ran right through the irrigation ditches full of water!! ( I was a teen.) I didn't get stung.

Great pic, Michelle. Who is that in the middle?

I did some more cleaning up in flowerbeds yesterday afternoon, then thunderstorms moved in, along with some small hail. It is very foggy this morning, with more storms in the forecast.

This was March 7th:

{{gwi:152401}}

These were yesterday:

{{gwi:152403}}

{{gwi:152404}}

{{gwi:152407}}

{{gwi:152409}}

Lots more daffodils will soon be open, and Hyacinths are showing buds.

I did some caging of susceptible beds and plants yesterday...to protect them from deer and rabbits. The deer had already pruned the red azalea on the bedroom end of the house....yargh! They have taken a liking to vinca and creeping phlox, and browsed all of them down to the ground. Normally the phlox would be starting to bloom by now. I am sure they will regrow. I think I would be really amazed if I knew what all they have destroyed in our yard!

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

We melted a lot of our snow this week. Some of my gardens are completely bare, but those north of the house are under drifts yet. Unfortunately there is rain/snow in the forecast for the first part of next week. We got into the high 50s yesterday, so I took a long walk after work.

Marian, what a pretty shot of color this morning. As for the person in the middle on the picture, that would be me. Its a little hard to tell. From the left, Mary, Sue, Michelle, Ei and Drema for anyone else wondering. Sorry to hear about all the deer damage. I perused our yard yesterday and found lots of shrubs that were drastically pruned. Our culprits are rabbits as they left a little gift behind.

V, the picture reminds of Northwind Perennial Farm where it was taken. It was a really awesome place with lots of display gardens. Have you seen the latest issue of Midwest Living? They have an article of all these country nurseries in the Madison WI area. Northwind was mentioned. We are going to be in Madison at the end of April. I hope to scope out at least one.

Deanne, do you have powdery mildew problems on coleus. I have a couple of varieties that it has appeared on. How do you treat it? I absolutely love the combination in your container.

Kathy, I like Aiden and actually know another little guy with the name. We always park in our garage with the door down. Otherwise, you never know what critters would get in there.

Denise, 80 seems unreal to me at this point. Enjoy it!

bug, how do you store your amaryllis bulb and get it to rebloom? Mine is long finished blooming, but the foliage hasnt died back.

As for small appliances, I regularly use a food processer, smoothie maker, steamer and my Kitchenaid stand mixer. I rarely use the bread maker, crockpot, coffeemaker, wafflemaker or toaster.

This a.m. my DD called, in the background I hear Kenzie tell her that she "needs" to tell grandma something. She gets on the tells me that she sees birds. I asked her what kind there were, and she said "chickadees" whether that was correct or not ;o)

Eden, Im the eternal optimist and I think the garden egg hunt will be a go :o)

Jerri, we are located about 4 hours from Des Moines.

Sorry to hear about all the pet woes. Fingers are crossed for simple & inexpensive solutions to all.

Its Friday! Wheres Sue?

Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

TGIF!

Love those spring progress pictures, Marian. Keep them coming! Happy anniversary to your and Nolon.

The news this week is I finally scored a good deal on a round trip direct flight to Orlando. So I'm going to go from March 27th to April 1st and hopefully get off my respective parent's sh** lists. Two nights with mommie dearest and three with dad. I took Mary's reading advice and bought Water for Elephants to read during the flight.

Pictures of the newly decorated dining room will coming soon. I did find what appears to be the right paint color and some curtain rods I like. The plan is to work on it this weekend. Maybe I'll shop for a new chandelier as well. Tom still hasn't found a house he likes so stuff isn't moving out anytime soon. Keep your fingers crossed.

Love this new time change. I'm back to walking outside after work whenever possible. Nice day right now but supposed to go to crap later. Some decent weekend gardening weather would be welcome.

OK, enjoy!

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I meant to include a link to Northwind Perennial Farms website. Check out the different sections for some lovely country garden shots.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

TG....??? Sue??? Color? (green for St Pat's?)

Michelle, the Amaryllis leaves never seem to die back for me. I've stored them in a cupboard for months and they still remain green. This just was one of those times when it worked. I have about 6-8 others that did NOT bloom. Maybe I should fertilize them.

Very foggy out, but but I think that means it will warm up. There may be some sun later on. We'll see.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Good for you snagging the tickets Sue. I see you went for pink. ;) Looking forward to the new dining room decors... Tom will never find a home as perfect as the one he's in now. That takes an eye and tons of work. But he is very capable of renovation work.

Love the Northwind Perennial Farms site Michelle. Such lovely soothing music too.

I think the sun's rays are starting to poke through, so I'm off to run errands.
    'bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Forgot...check out the link below. Has anyone in the Buffalo area heard or been to this? Mary, Marie, Woody?

If it's all it appears to be it looks like it might make a good destination for a mini idyllunion weekend.

Sue

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I have heard of it (good things) but never attended. Sounds fun! My summer plans are still a muddle...so I can't offer anything yet at my end. Maybe later.

July 26-7 can be really hot in Buffalo!

Buffalo is a 2 hour (plus...) drive from my home. I no longer know places to stay.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Sue - I've not heard of the Buffalo Garden Walk and wouldn't go - mainly because I don't travel to the US now. If I got sick down there, it would be too expensive! The garden tours I'm planning to go on this year are the local one here and probably the RBG Auxiliary one in Mississauga. To see the details on that one, scroll down to near the bottom of the page that it linked below. I'm curious to see Liz Primeau's garden. I'm not sure of the details/cost of the Mississauga tour yet - hopefully that will be in an upcoming RBG magazine. The other tour that is listed there is on the Bruce Peninsula . That's where we went a couple of summers ago on a short vacation. It's a beautiful area. There is an on-going garden tour all summer - you can get a list on the Internet of the gardens that are open, with times and dates open, and then just go visit on those days. I assume the RBG tour probably includes some that are not usually open. Patrick Lima's is open regularly - I was somewhat disappointed in it. Beautiful plant compositions but the garden didn't seem connected to anything (i.e. the house); it just seems to exist as a bunch of beautiful, large flower beds.

Marian - I hope there's as much color lurking in my garden once the current glaciers of snow melt off! I doubt it though... The nice, fat wisteria buds that were evident in late January seem to have disappeared so I suspect this will be another year with no spring flush of Chinese Wisteria flowers :-(

gb - my amaryllis bulbs wimped out this year and have not produced flowers. (pout...)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good evening... :-)

Thank God it's Friday is right! I can't tell you how much my brain resembles mush at the moment. Three days of a crash course on every aspect of what I don't know about computers and didn't want to ask. Up too early and to bed too late. Dinner and TV and I'm not looking at the computer until tomorrow. I am making progress. Chipping away at it.

Wish I could catch up...but I am sure I will later...

One photo and I am off...

{{gwi:152412}}

bbt...
    pm2

• chelone
    16 years ago

Another heaved sigh of relief for Friday. Not that the week was particularly rough, just too much "snippyness" that was not necessary. Whatever... . It's not that I'm unsympathetic, I am just too practical to think that venting your frustration on your drones is going to have anything other than a deleterious effect on morale in general. You know? ;)

Looking forward to dining room decor shots, will be a nice diversion. Also thinking that visits to parents are finite, however trying they may be. Hope the accomodations straighten themselves out soon; it has to be a grind.

We have one mistreated Amaryllis that has sent up one budded stalk (as a form or surrender, we suspect). Interestingly, there are secondary bulbs on two of the three potted bulbs. Clearly, this year I have to pay attention to the "after care" instructions!

Great shots of spring, Marian. It's gonna be a some time for me... the rain forecast has been revised to 4-7" of snow. Whatever!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Something comforting about Saucy ordering her bees. Southern bees at that. Feels like the world is in order, recession or no recession. NPR is getting on my nerves with their analysis. I say yep, we are in ecomonic nosedive, now move on so we can get it over with. There is never an announcement when we're out. Economics isn't that complicated. We cycle in and out.

In the photo I posted earlier, Katie is wearing one of Dannie's nighties so it's a bit roomy. Would have been cuter in a pink fleece but the laundress seems to be off duty and we were out of clean Katie-wear. Warm enough that the others are roaming nekked around the house. It's odd to see them without pjs on and sign that winter has passed here!

Oh, to answer the muzzle question. They're mouthy and excitable when running and unlike other dogs, have no deep coat to protect their thin skin. Dannie walked by a rosebush last winter and ripped her side open. Many stitches required. She also smiles every time I put her muzzie on because she knows she gets to run.

Deanne, yes 1K for a cat dental seems high unless they're getting implants and gold crowns. Did you get an itemization of the quote? It may be all 'just in case'. Would think less than 400 each with bloodwork would be about right. When you're done, would you consider moving the boys to a dental diet or given them raw chickie necks every night for snacks? My guys have never had cleanings that way and we draw a crowd when they go to vet for exams. Even 19 yo George has perfect teeth. If it makes you feel any better I spent 15 on Katie last year, never mind Monty, and we're ramping up again. My excuse is that I have no grandchildren and my joke is I've spent more on her than she ever earned when she was racing. Works for me. I never thought I'd admit that, but she's young and she's my responsibility and I worked for everything I have, so there :)

Cindy, will you be checking with your investment couselor or financial advisor before you go the long term care insurance route? The premiums will just increase as you age. Maybe check AARP for advise too. I'm sure you'll do the research before making decision.

Yep, I'm loving DST. Raked out and chopped a couple of gardens down. Finding growth under those dry leaves! Did walks with the ambulatory dogs and then let Katie wobble to the corner and back. We ran into the neighbor kids so she was one happy girl and didn't complain when we turned around after she spent 15 minutes getting pets from them.

I need food. Later,

Cynthia

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Oh gosh. I'm not about to discuss how much we spend on animals every year. We have no kids and we do a lot of volunteer work/donating so I don't feel bad. Still not telling though! LOL

Thanks for the chickie neck trick. I better get our kitties on dental food and try and find necks. :P

Still at work but I'm HEADING HOME. TGIF is right!

Jerri

• chelone
    16 years ago

Thanks for the explanation of muzzles, Cynthia. Now, please answer my question about whether or not males are intact when they race. As for "peachskin", have you considered chainmail or maybe Kevlar for their coats? ;)

Absolutely agree about the coverage of the recession! NPR has a lot of company on that count, lol. Funny thing is, I knew we were on the way a YEAR AGO, where the hell were they?!. I could tell by the number of people who called me to REPAIR clothing or restyle it. I hadn't replaced a zipper in a pair of jeans for years and then, BINGO! I had 2-3 in the space of a month. Ditto replacement jacket zippers... but I did 4-6 in the months leading up to winter and after the cold weather settled in. At work, we are doing more "rehabs." on canvas that people would have simply replaced 2 yrs. ago. Everyone talks about the recession, but no one really spends much time on stories about how to DEAL with it, how to minimize your expenses, etc.. Funny, huh?

I, too, worry about LTC insurance, haven't "pulled the trigger" because I'm too freaked out by the information available (too much, too little, not finely tuned enough for my taste, etc.). I keep hoping "assisted suicide"/"right to die" will be acknowledged in the not-too-distant future. Doesn't have to be for everyone, I'd just like to see it appear on the "menu" of options available to me. WITHOUT the lectures and sermons, thank you. The whole subject really, really frightens me... .

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Chelone, ditto on the frightened bit. We have no kids and hardly any family. It's very scary.

Jerri

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

A heavy chore weekend looms ahead for me; my RE agent came over last night , walked through and pronounced the house ready to show. This means a weekend of cleaning. I started tonight by washing 3 windows . more to follow , as they all need attention. So, bathrooms, floors , shampoo what carpets I have left, shuffle the rest of the packed up boxes out to the garage , and Ill be ready for my close-up.

This is the first year since 1999 that I have not attended the SF Flower Show- and the very year that our Denise decides to go disappointing I must say.

Saucy, will you be growing anything specifically on your property to support the bees ? Or is there agriculture around you for them to visit?

Marian, what a contrast in your pics just a week apart ! Today when I was out doing the tulip walk I noticed that I have buds on the SweetpeasIm sure they werent there a few days ago. Thats too bad that you spent $$ on fixing your computer and continue to have problems. Did you notice though that GardenWeb out up a message yesterday that they were having some issues ? Maybe its them and not you.

Cynthia and Deanne, I spent 700 bucks on my dogs teeth, but that was for 30 extractions , and cleaning the 7 or 8 teeth that were left. I surely felt like an unfit mother at that point ! If I ever get another dog I will definitely reassess the way I feed them.

My BILs just bought LTC insurance but I dont know what they are paying for it. It probably makes sense for them since they are a same-sex couple and have no children they are pretty much on their own .

Tonight is my last episode of the Beatles Anthology , with a glass or 2 of red wine . We are having a blustery cool evening , with intermittent showers predicted. Im going to spend a half hour at Michelles Northwinds link and then its veg-out for me.

Hello to all,

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

A quick hello so no one wonders where I went. A long week at work, and now all the kids are home. I skimmed very quickly, but Michelle I did see that Midwest Living article. Monches Farm is towards Milwaukee, but it's a fun destination and a beautiful drive if you are up for it.

Mystic the wonder dog is up to something - gotta run!

V.

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Happy Saturday. Am I really the first one up????

Marian: My parents celebrated 51 this year and asked for their gift that Nothing be done. They just wanted to spend some time "being quiet." I get it :-) They will allow us to have a dinner when they hit 75 years

LTC is not something I'd consider at this point. A reverse mortgage, that's a different story.

If anyone really needs the media to let them know we're in a recession, they can come to my house for a day and get a healthy dose of reality. Other Idyllers have felt it for years, too, with layoffs and plant closings. Rich saw it coming about two years ago in the housing market. His clue was when homeowners called and wanted to put their $60K of equity into what amounted to a falling down shack with encouragement of lenders.

I know it's not as simple as one aspect, but geez, how about we all be smart all along the way?

Thanks for the pics! Today is downright dreary and motivation level is zippo. Was going to start taking down roses' mulch, but no cooperation from the sky. It knows better than me LOL

Does anyone think that paid animal caretakers take advantage of pet owner's devotion? After watching my sister spend $2K on a 13 year old cat, I knew i was in the wrong career :-)

I'd be getting edgy at this point, Sue, and give you all credit for your patience.

Saucy, in my reasonable opinion one cannot have bees without having lavender. We'll get you set up. What's the difference between southern and northern bees?

Sounds like it's "everyone sit down and hammer out a plan" for Skyler, 'bug.

The charm broke yesterday and while I was out of the house, Rich and Ky had it out over where Ky would live for his last semester. There's some emotional as well as financial issues involved. Havoc reportedly ensued, and I'm staying firmly out of the middle other than to say:

"Could you both respect me enough to ask what I think since I'm the one footing the financials at this point and hey, he is my son so give me the same majority vote as you had when it was your daughter's education involved ..." And for Kyle: "You made a decision to live at home without talking to me, first, thus missing the housing deposit deadline and not having another option. This may not be the best plan" ARGH!!!!!!

Anyone for a greenhouse trip today? LOL

Martie, determined to have this be a good day no matter what! Where's the chocolate?????

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Martie, I don't envy you being in the middle of an argument between the two men in your life :) I'm passing a Ghiradelli chocolate square to you now.....

Who ordered snow? How did I make it through the week and not know this was coming? I am not happy about this...

Wow, I thought my cat's 700 dollar salivary gland surgery was expensive :) I always joke that she's the Six million dollar man's pet: the Seven Hundred Dollar cat....with the bionic salivary glands. That's why she feels compelled to meow for food all day!

Nick and I tried to dip our toes into the residential market and decided the water was too cold :) We're a bit worried ourselves, though no signs of slowdown for the commercial market....yet.

About the bees. There are lots of produce farms in my area. The plan is to set them up where the old "orchard" was on this property, which still has fruit trees (they're too tall to harvest) and they'll work any garden in the area, too.

I listened to a lecture where the speaker claims there are no more wild or ferral bees. Anything found in the wild are the result of bees that left a hive like what I'll have. I have to find out if this is true (or just some old timers feeling...) If it's true, that is sad to me.

LOL, Martie, we grow lots of lavendar at my neighbors as she uses it in soaps and other things that she makes, as well as floral arrangements. I have never tried it in my own garden, I guess I feel like my soil is too rich. I do have plans for an alpine style garden that a short growing lavendar might fit into :)

I'm all over the place this morning. I am still thinking of what I need to get done in the office.....might have to do a few things.

Have fun cleaning, Kathy! It's gonna be a smash! I'm really bummed that you and Denise aren't meeting, though! Denise, get your yellow gloves and just show up to Kathy's after the show :)

Saucy

• chelone
    16 years ago

I've been up for hours, but have been firmly engaged in a variety of piddly chores, perfect for a snowy morning. It was raining when I awoke, but now it's snow, the real winter kind. And it's really pretty. It will be gone in no time and I know there are daffodils poking out of the ground beneath the maple leaves.

Poor Skyler. He certainly has a tough row to hoe. Parental units can only do so much and it must be extremely difficult and frustrating when not everyone is "on the same page". Playground bullies generally get what's comin' to 'em, though. Some kid is going to erupt and pound the hell out of him, and he deserves it! Playground justice can be swift and is generally brutal. (Recalling the time I went over the school bus seat and pushed my long time tormenter up against the window, making sure her head bounced off it sharply. That was the end of it.)

It was on this day that my father entered the hospital for the last time. Beware the Ides of March...

An area yacht yard burned last night. They lost the office and a shed that held a number of boats, including a big one, 40'! Several other yards in the lakes region have sustained losses due to roof collapses.

Go Kathy! I don't love washing windows, but they certainly look nice when they're done. We do it twice yearly, spring and fall. The windows in the Salon are all "tilt wash", makes it a lot easier. I am certain you must be looking for the finish line about now. Bonne chance, mon amie! I have to say, I'm surprised you are not going to rendez-vous with Denise, though!

I would like to know more about chicken necks, Cynthia... can you shed some light on it?

I think it's time to face the dishes... or not.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Marty, Since you have lavender, perhaps you should be ordering bees? You can 'bee' Saucy's protegee.

BTW, 13 is relatively young for a kitty since they live to be 20+. (Elderly for a dog though.) Rather than question the motives of vets who provide treatment, or the intelligence of those who make the decision to treat their pets, I'm more suspicious of owners who use euthanasia as a replacement for medical treatment in young animals. Would anyone question the motives of someone selling your sister a 2K television? Or selling me a 15K motorcycle or costmetic(sic) surgery, or a bathroom remodel, or expensive vacation? I don't see medical care for animals as the result of insipient 'devotion.' That implies the pet owner is an idiot without any analytical skills. When in fact, the decisions are the result of research and doing what's best for the animal, instead of flagrant spending on inanimate objects, which for some reason is acceptable. The easy decision is 'put him to sleep so he won't suffer', while the real motivation may be not wanting to spend the money and considering life as disposable. Stepping off of my soapbox now.

I think Chelone's zipper customers may be a new economic indicator she should share with the Fed Reserve. Perhaps button up jeans are the answer.

Kathy, I'm right there cleaning with you. It is Saturday after all. I have an uncountable number of windows in my house and french doors galore (house is not as fancy as it sounds just full of light!), and they are never all clean at once. I do one room at a time and it feels good. Your house prep is exhausting to me. I hope you can find a house to buy that is in as good shape as your current one will be soon.

Saucy, you can buy raw chicken necks in the oriental market. Give kitty one after dinner a few times a week and it will help remove any tarter and keep them clean. For dogs, give a turkey neck or beef neck once a week. RAW, never cooked.

'K, I'm going to do my Kathy job now and wash the kitchen floor, vacuum the rest of the downstairs and then play in the gardens. So sorry for those still with snow. We are going to have a reasonable spring here, I can just feel it!

Cynthia

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

No snow here, thank goodness! Just wanted to add my thoughts on spending for pets. I have a hard time understanding a society that thinks nothing of spending 75K on a car or 750K on a house but doesn't think a living being that gives them such unconditional love and adds so much to their quality of life is worth a few hundred or thousand.

We've been in a recession here in MI for a couple of years now. We're used to it:)

Eden

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Cynthia, just read your post and I see you said the same thing but in a much more eloquent way. I'm saving yours to read to someone next time they act like I'm crazy for spending on my pets!

Eden

• saucydog
    16 years ago

LOL, I know where to find the chicken necks :) Chelone needs 'em, though :)

Saucy

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi everyone

Sue - I've always thought the Buffalo Garden tour would be great to do with some other avid gardeners (especially the Idylls) - its one hour from Rochester. However, this year there are many things up in the air for us.

This week my world turned upside down processing the idea that DH might take another job which would mean us moving to a location closer to Denise than Deanne. To think of uprooting the children from school and friends, leaving our home and garden, my job and everything we love here is completely overwhelming for me. I hate to think of the irony of my sister Ruth and I finally being driving distance from each other, for us then to move a thousand miles away and that much further from England. However, it could be a fantastic job for DH and would mean us being able to live together far more of the time versus the never ending travel which is beginning to take a toll on DH.

It is very early stages and I shouldn't really breathe a word but I needed to talk to someone and thought you guys would understand. I'm trying to keep positive but suddenly every thing I do (starting seeds, choosing Annie's High School classes, signing up for summer camp, plans for next year at work) feels meaningless. In short, I'm in a funk.

Off to try and distract myself - do you think eating some Cadburys Creme eggs would help? How many do I need?

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Check in for the cleaning lady here, and glad to see the espirit des corps of like minded Idyllers cleaning along with me ! Im having a coffee break having almost finished the kitchen windows. Of course Its supposed to rain today, and the outside of the windows are far worse having been exposed to the droplets and falling debris when the paint dudes were pressure washing.

Mary ! So sorry for you to have to think about such upheaval in your life er, would you by any chance need a house in Napa ??? Garden is already installed.. ;-) Seriously , I dont want to make light of your plight ---I hope you and your family can come to a decision that all can live with. Reducing the travel for your DH surely is a strong plus. The few times a year that I travel was always hard on my family when they were young. If you decide you must be off to a new place, I suspect the close bonds and strength of the family you have made will see you through it, and as you always seem to do , youll find a way to make it fun and exciting

Ok, back to the scullery

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Another foggy morning..... I shall attempt to type a legible, logical post....My new med helps the pain, but also dulls the brain!!!
    We went to the local fire dept's benefit breakfast this morning. Saw folks that we hadn't seen in years.

Re: the LTC thoughts...I have absolutely no qualms about my passing from this life, but my problem is the disabilities and pain that prevent me from doing what I need to do. If I had no responsibilities...espacially toward a declining husband, I would not be too concerned about my condition. I have been very aware of the inevitable for many years. I have seen so many of my friends, aquaintances, and relatives pass on, and many of them younger than I am now. I haven't had many friends or relatives who required long term care. Chelone, I am with you on the right to die thing. I think it is very wrong to prolong the death of the dying! I sort of go along with the old Indian idea of going off by yourself and awaiting the end . I am not too sure about euthanazia.....it really depends on the circumstances. I am not sure that it is a no no. ( Some of my brethren would probably disown me for saying that. )

Michelle....sorry that I didn't recognize you! I guess I thought you were the one taking the pic???? Are you sure those are rabbit pellets by your nibbled plants? Deer drop pellets also. How high up are they browsed?

Pm2, I love your pic of the mule deer in the sagebrush. Right up my alley! I have such pics saved in my document pictures.

Woody, don't you have spring bulbs under your snow? But then, you are lots farther north than I. I do hope things are looking up for you.

My first Amaryllis bloom has opened, but it is too dark indoors to take a good pic. It is solid red/orange? so not like Marie's. Maybe the other one...
    Last year I only got one bloom stalk from my pan full of bulbs. I will fertilize them again and set them out in a more sunnier position this year.

Re: mega bucks for pet care...My Vet expenses have only been for flea meds, neutering,spaying, and rabies shots. We do not spend big bucks on ourselves either, due to limited income. It is all a matter of perspective. I would not willing want my cats to suffer pain, any more than I want us to, but I may not recognize their having pain...

I have seen the ups and downs in the economy and had some extremely lean years, but have always survived without too much damage....:-) I no longer worry about it.

No Kathy, it is not just problems with GW. It is with all aspects of my computer's behavior. :-(

LOL Martie, with Nolon 81and1/2 years old I'm sure we will never reach 75! We may not even reach 60. If we, do we will probably not be mentally capable of recognizing it!!!
    Sorry about the tiff between your DH and DS.

Saucy...there is very definitely wild bees still in the wild. We see the little black ones every year. There are lots of other pollinating insects in our plants every year also.

Marie, I don't know the answer to Skyler's behavior, having never had to cope with such. I do hope it is ironed out to everyones' best.

Oooo, Chelone! That is terrible about the yacht yard burning. At least there were no human injuries.

I guess I should get out and erect more fencing around flowerbeds....

Marian

• chelone
    16 years ago

I believe Cabbury Creme eggs are called for, Mary. As to quantity, I think you'd best let your tummy be the judge of that. You must feel as though you've been hit from a bolt out the blue. :(

Do you think I can find my stencil brushes anywhere in this house? and what's worse is that I know full right well that as soon as buy some new ones the old ones will "turnip". :/

Perhaps I'll return to my book, instead.

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Hmm, I think Cadbury eggs come in 3 packs don't they? ;)
    My thoughts are with all who are in the midst of major change now. It's so stressful. I imagine there are more out there than we know.

I'm going to a talk this afternoon given by one of the instructors of my meditation group. It's about death, change, what matters and what doesn't. This lady lost her brother about 6 months ago. Completely unexpected and I believe hs was a little younger than she. From what I've seen of her this could be a very good afternoon.
    It's just beautiful here today.

Marian, I hope you didn't get hit by the storm that blew through last night. We were on the fringe of it that goodness. I'm not ready for tornado season yet!

Gotta run. The best to you all. Have a good weekend!

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Can I blame the spelling errors on server problems!? :(
    Sorry folks.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all,

Well we have a dreary slushy day out here and Ive not done much of anything yet. Ive got to do my watering rounds soon as there are a few plants that are in need of daily watering or a potting up and Im trying to avoid the potting up as I dont want them to get any larger than they already are. Hmmm dilemmas..

RE the Pet Dental thing..

I already feed my kitties a diet for teeth care and have been careful about that since Luke started having problems a few years ago. Last year when they had to remove one of his canine teeth and did a thorough cleaning at that time I was told he should be fine for a couple years. This year when he went in for his exam and shots the new vet said that he MIGHT have another resorptive lesion on one of his remaining molars but they couldnt tell until he was anesthetized. His teeth really did not need cleaning but she wanted to CHECK to make sure. ~~ Rahjii does NOT have any gingivitis or gum problems but is beginning to show some tartar buildup so he should have his teeth cleaned in the next six months to a year so he doesnt develop gum disease. I was planning on getting that done but then was told (after I spent the $260.00 for blood work) that they would not anesthetize him unless he had a complete cardio screening, to the tune of $400 to $500 dollars because he has a heart murmur. I spent that much money for a complete screening and a visit to the feline cardiologist when he was a kitten. I was told at that time that the slight murmur was NOT a problem and NEVER would be a problem. When I told the vet that she said, You already had a cardio screening? meaning that she hadnt even checked his records. Then she said, Well you really SHOULD have that done again. I asked her why and it was one of those, well just because. ~~ I do not like that she hadnt checked his records before making a pronouncement that I had to do the whole expensive cardio exam again in order to have his teeth cleaned. Im not happy with this practice anymore. Last year when I brought the kitties in for their checkups and they took them back to draw them for blood work they cut their claws then charged me for something I DID NOT want done. They didnt ask me if I wanted their claws clipped they just did it and then charged me for it. I was pretty steamed. Anyway, I do take good care of my pets but Im not satisfied with the amount of $$$$ this practice wants to charge me to have their teeth cleaned. Im researching some feline dentists in this area and will get their recommendations.

Kathy, Ill bet your house gets snapped up in an instant as soon as you start showing it with the amount of work youve done.

Mary, I cant imagine how distressing it must be for you to be contemplating moving! Im upset just thinking about you moving further away. So sorry, what a bummer. We are so lucky that Dougs and my jobs allowed us to stay put the entire time Heather was in school. I cant imagine moving during the High School years especially. Hugs! (Cadbury eggs are definitely called for)

Saucy, the whole Bee thing is WAY cool!

So whos got seeds started and what are you growing? I checked my dahlias and cannas the other day and they are all in really good shape. I did add some lights to get the dormant fuchsias on their way to waking up for the season. Ill have to grab some pics of the indoor beauties for you guys this weekend sometime.

Martie, sorry about the fireworks in your environment. That must be really distressing. Id have been hard put to stay out of it. Hope all works out ok.

Later all,
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Deanne, I hope it didn't sound like I was talking about you and your pets. I wasn't at all! I know how much you love your boys and how well you take care of them. And yes, yes, yes to some pictures!!!

And Marian, I agree that it depends on individual circumstances too.

I feel so lucky to be a part of this group that all love our animals!

Mary, wow, that's some news. You have created such a wonderful life for your family there but I know you will do the same wherever you end up. My thoughts go to Annie mostly. I think at her age it would be a challenging adjustment. But then she's got a great mom to help her through.

Martie, I think Kyle and my David are the same age. It's a time when they're ready to spread their wings a little I think. That's only natural. I know our deal with David was if he moved out, we'd continue paying for school but he's paying the rent.

Kathy, I'm being lazy today and therefore won't be joining you on your cleaning binge. My windows could use a good washing after all of the wet and windy winter weather (say that 3 times) we've had.

Eden

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Deanne, I had a vet like that :) I used to leave the vet feeling either guilted into a decision or like I'd been duped.

Zeus has a good vet now who understands us both. Hope you find the same.

Mary, that is such a heart wrenching spot to be in! I hope that a decision comes soon for you and your family as that usually brings relief. I think you should just break down and make one of those gooey flourless cakes with chocolate oozing out of the center :)

I just looked out at my feeder to find that goldfinches have returned! Robins are here, too. The snow already melted (as did my mood).

Kathy, I was feeling sympathy pains for you, so I am cleaning and then I will continue my quest for doneness in the office :)

The kids are playing outside with friends and Nick is grocery shopping for a grill feast! Peaceful weekend :)

Off to clean Popcorn's cell....yes, Chelone, he is doing well....back to ruling his roost.

Cynthia, after dog hair removal, I am thinking that sweaters and coats and muzzles are preferable :)

OH, and count me in for a Buffalo trip, that garden tour looks fabulous!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Barely managed to catch up this time: dizzy, chills, lost my breakfast. Off to bed.

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

So now that all of our houses are visitor clean, how about an around-the-country trip with a last stop at 'bug's with some warm weak chicken broth? Nothing like vacuuming the heck out of everything to relieve some stress :-)

I hope, Deanne, that you find someone else. In my sister's case it was a decision made on the spur of the moment after being given a gloom and doom speech. She found out later than anywhere else would've been considerably less expensive. She also found out that the ailment didn't have to be treated that very day. This vet whom she trusted took full advantage of her emotional state.

That said, I quickly wrote a check when our "pound puppy" needed a full go-through to determine just what was making him so funky. The end result? A food allergy -- changed the food and changed the dog. Was it worth it?? Every single penny :-)

Once you get the sugar headache, Mary, it's time to stop. I'd be blown away at the prospect of moving life across the country. What do you think will be the determination?

Seeds Started: digitalis, alpine strawberries, geraniums ivy-type, heliopsis. Tomorrow there will be more.

Bees and I don't get along well in close quarters. I'm not allergic, but am very "stingable" as a doctor once put it. "Does that mean I'm super sweet???" "No, it means you emit a certain odor that bees like." Could I have been a plant in a former life???? LOL

Rich and Ky stayed in the same room long enough to hear me out and now both understand that decisions like this need to involve me.

I absolutely agree, Eden, that Ky needs to spread. Thing is, he's been gone and now wants to come back on his terms. Result in a minute....

PM2, because you asked ;-) Ky is 21 and a second semester senior in college. He has an added semester in Fall because while in England he could only take 9 credits. Thus, for his double major (History/Economics), he needs 9 more to graduate and will be finished (YAHOO) in December. He's currently taking 18 credits, 12 of which are 400 level Econ courses, and does well academically. With friends from literally all over the world, home-cooked meals at our house become incredibly interesting.

We had always said we'd fully cover four years, and will also cover the final semester's tuition. R&B was to be up to him, and his response to that was to move back home with no financial responsibility to the house. Take it from there and you land at where we were. It'll all settle out.

There is reportedly crocus budding out and a very animated little neighbor is patiently (for a whole 2 minutes) waiting for me to come look.

Off am I...

Martie

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Saturday afternoon 2 oclock beer time. I rushed outside and edged the lawn (what remains of it) before the rain started. I just had to do at least one outdoor chore today that was unrelated to windows. Its raining now but I see patches of blue here and there. Its probably 15 degrees cooler than it was last weekend. So fickle is spring !

The worst chore today so far was trying to make my elderly greenhouse window look presentable. It involved straddling the sink, vacuuming the corpses of untold numbers of insects, and discarding the screen altogether which was yukky and unsalvageable. That is the only window I never replaced in the kitchen because of the expense. If I were staying It would definitely be on the list for this year. I expect to finish the downstairs cleaning still today and will move upstairs tommorow.

So true, that when we decide to bring pets into our family we make a commitment to a living being that depends on us for everything. I never really stopped to tot up the $$s I spent every month on insulin and syringes for my little dog all the years she had diabetes. I just put it in the budget and did what I had to do. I really love my vets , they are wonderful and I have never felt that they have recommended any unnecessary procedures. Im going to really miss them when I hit the road.

buganother Idyller is struck by a malady. Hoping for the 24 hour thing for you !

Okay, I really need to stop lolly-gagging and get back to the chores at hand

Hi to all

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    16 years ago

I hope the new day finds 'bug on the mend! the symptoms sounded like the makin's of a pretty crummy day.

I'll have to check with the butcher about chicken necks, I can't even think of an oriental market, let alone one that is conveniently located. Hmmm. Polly has a heart murmur, Deanne. They are actually quite common in cats. I think you ought to contact Tufts University and see if your boys could go in and have their teeth cleaned by vet. students. $2 seems a bit too expensive for what is a pretty routine service. Rex's ACL surgery was less than that.

I managed to find 2 of stencil brushes yesterday (after an exhaustive search) and did a couple of color studies on piece of sheetrock painted in the Salon color. I used white Japan paint, high gloss polyurethane, and a metallic brass paint (too loose for good stencilling) to get a feel for the contrast. I like them all, but I think I'll mix up some cream paint and see about metallic options in a paint more suited to stencilling. It'll be good excuse to get some motifs blown up, buy some mylar, and play around. STILL haven't done the pickling samples for the woodwork, but neither has the helpmeet shown much interest in moving on to that phase. ;)

I have started no seeds. I have nothing but a small pot of "Tete A Tete" daffodils and 3 unhappy Amaryllis bulbs in a south window. One of the Amaryllis has sent up a stalk, a red "surrender" flag, I think. I have too much else to think about right now; not the least of which is getting the helpmeet to make a windowbox for under the 3 south windows of the Salon... (will go over like a faht in an elevator).

Thank you, Michelle, for the ID in the Idyll-union photo op.! I had 3 of the 5. It's amazing how fast the melting occurs once it gets underway. The snowpack has receded mightily here, the higher sun and stronger rays have made a good dent in it in the past 3 weeks. Yesterday's snow in the driveway was pretty much melted by the end of the afternoon. We have lots of "chickadees" here. There has been a gang of Robins that picked the holly clean of her berries, but so far no Red Wing Blackbirds.

I just watched a lovely red fox trot down our driveway. Rex went totally mental and had Foxy-Loxy been heading into the woods and not toward the road I'd have let him out. Spencer was very interested, too... from the safety of the deck railing.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all,

Well I thought we were going to have a nice day but apparently there are going to be snow flurries. Whats with that? Youve got to love/hate March. It teases and taunts us with longer warm days then throws snow at us. And so it goes. The birds know spring is in the air as most of the males are doing their territorial songs now and getting more aggressive. I also heard Red-winged Blackbirds the last couple days.

Chelone, do you have a stencil pattern picked out? And where is it going? Are you going to do the entire Salon? Thats a huge undertaking. Wow! What color of metallic paint do you need? Ive got scads of paints here and some Ill never use. ~~ Very good idea to investigate Tufts.

Kathy, I need to catch your spring cleaning fever. My house is going to need a pressure washer soon if I dont get to it. LOL

Bug, surely hope you are feeling better today!

Ok waving hi to all! Ive got to get dressed and get over to the gym. I'll be posting pics on a separate thread for those interested in my under lights plants.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

I dealt with the returnables this morning. I loathe the thought of doing it, but the actual DOING isn't nearly as bad I think it will be. ;) I think my lower threshold for the accumulation of them relative to the helpmeet's factors largely into the equation... . I was gratified to note the number of shoppers entering the store with reusable grocery bags. Sadly (at least for my age group), they were either young enough to be the kids I never "squoze out" or my parents; but it's a much needed start. I returned to the car to find an older gentleman scratching Rex under his chin and behind his ears. He told me he couldn't resist the "pat me, please" demeanor of that fool dog. Sunday morning (early) excursions are usually relaxed and unhurried.

Will today be the day I FINALLY take down the pediments, etc.?

I hope 'bug. is nearing the end of her 24 hrs.. And wonder if the feline nurses have been providing warm ministrations?

And I'm wondering how many Cadbury Creme eggs were required?

As for the Salon, Deanne (you may regret asking, lol)... I have not made a final decision on the exact stencil(s), but they will likely be selected from classical Greek/Neo-Grec motifs. I have a particular fondness for the Federal (USA), Regency (Great Britain), Empire (France) period. I like the strong use of color, the detail in the woodwork, the furniture, and the use of draperies. I have been drawn to the "Gustavian", distinctly Scandinavian, twist on the era for some time now. I plan to "pickle" the woodwork and then clear coat it and have deliberately selected clear pastels for the palette. I will probably end up painting the floor, too.

I particularly like the use of stencils to highlight the strong horizontals in any room; esp. the mopboards, the dado, the ceiling/"crown" areas. There will be no dado in the space, no crown moulding and I would like to visually "weight" the room toward the floor. I want to direct attention down, away from the surgical aspect of the overall lighting. Another reason for painting the floor. I have toyed with the notion of spot stencilling the walls, using an invisible "harlequin" grid (diamonds that are longer than they are fat) and very subtle color scheme or "tone on tone" (using varying gloss factors to define the stencilled motif) to give the room a bit of zip, but in a quiet way. Clearly, I need to focus on the woodwork and the chimney/hearth/stove installation before I make a final decision. I want to play with a "creamier" color and also see if I can locate a metallic that can be applied more sheerly than the one I played with yesterday.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

I was doing quite well on the egg front until I plugged in our home's appraisal value into one of those real estate finders. Our current house is modest by many standards, built in the 60's, but never the less has 5 bedrooms, close to an acre, in-ground pool, on a quiet tree lined street with a High School listed in News Week as one of the nations top 10 schools. The only property that came up in our possible new location was a mobile home in a trailer park. Eeeeekkkk! Pass the Cadburys.

Mary

• chelone
    16 years ago

Cadburys duly shoved in your direction. That seems to be worth at least 2, in my humble estimation. Sit tight, and don't let your kettle boil over, willya?

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I should not be using my eyes when dizzy...but I needed some content to my day!

Stencils: Only worked with them once, in my back room where laundry, plants, dog etc are housed. The cupboards are stencilled with herbs. I too am quite fond of Scandinavian decor. I'll be interested in Chelone's follow up photos. (hahaha, whenever those show up!)

I hope all proceeds well with your kitties Deanne. Our vet is not cheap, but then the place is quite nearby...and they are THERE. I sometimes think that if you have a purebred pet that you are charged extra. Yet, I have cats that were dumped here and I sure wish they'd give me a break on those. Anyone with a barn is prone to this dilemma.

And Mary, oooooooooooh Mary! It's going to be a long flight to work each day for YOU if you move. I hope something reasonable and fair works out. No matter what, you'll make the best of things. (Don't you sometimes hate being the one to cope well with change though?)

Back to horizontal.
    'bug