Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctlavluvr

Idyll #369 - Growin' of the Green

ctlavluvr
16 years ago

In celebration of the Emereld Isle plants ..... :-)

Carry on .....

Martie

Comments (100)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello Denise...I am back and forth today. Running into snags trying to get all my files moved and having to take constant breaks from it before I pull my hair out. Then someone just bit my head off on the phone and I was ready for something funny. [g] Sounds like we had similar very 'free' childhoods. :-) We were constantly out in the neighborhood most of the day from early until late in the good weather and even in the winter, if there was snow for sledding etc. We would come in for refueling and that was it. There were no scheduled activities, except a brief stint of piano lessons once a week. No organized sports for girls. Even my younger brother had very little participation. We grew up in a neighborhood of three deckers with large families in each apartment it seemed. Tons of kids in the neighborhood and for the most part we all got along and had fun. My parents were busy renovating property, selling it, moving, then they started a business trying to make a living. I can't imagine allowing kids that kind of freedom today.

March is okay with me. We have a lot of birthdays in our family that month, so we are busy with that. Plus, I see March as hopefully a garden work month. Plenty of things you can get done, inside or out, if you have the free time.

I love that tumbled glass as a mulch. Are you planning a project with it? I have seen it done in a few magazine spreads. Oh boy, you bought pelargoniums from Geraniacea! I almost ordered from Robin last year. Really nice selection she has and yes, she is so very helpful. Need to see some pics of what you dragged home.. :-)

What happened to the bely dancer story? [g]

Your post was long? Then what does that make mine? lol

pm2

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Betty Corning is HUGE compared to C.Florida S! It requires STRONG staking as it can topple over an ordinary 8-9 foot obelisk. I'd not risk it in a container after year one.

Busy with stuff around the home. Wish I could hire a team to conquer the clean-up!

Still below freezing which is good as there's not as much flooding as otherwise. But it is a white vista out there and i'm sick of it.

When selecting dog names one is always advised to practice calling it across a baseball field. If embarrassed, select a different name! This would be wise for children too. As in "Latrina" which was the name of a girl my brother met. Having spent time on a pregnancy forum with DD, I can tell you all the "in" names.

Off to beat the dog now. ;)
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

A happier V. for you all tonight! A call to the dentist's office when they opened this afternoon got an offer of an appointment next Friday. A little polite whining got the offer changed to "come in, be prepared to sit and wait, and we'll try to squeeze you in." So I gathered reading material at the office and hightailed it over there. Walked in the office and was greeted with, "We're ready for you; we have a no-show!" Tooth is all better, my lip is no longer being rubbed raw and I can close my teeth together again. Amazing how annoying such a little chip can be!

My father's funeral was on St. Patty's Day well over 25 years ago. He was half Irish and had to wear a uniform at work, but always wore green underwear on March 17th. When we realized what day the funeral would be, we made sure he was buried in his green underwear. His coworkers sent an arrangement of green carnations as their nod to his roots.

Easter plans - we are going to the MIL's, but I will make a couple of dishes to honor family traditions. My mom always made a lamb cake, and I inherited her pan, so we will have a chocolate lamb this year (I've told my MIL it's chocolate in honor of Obama.) My maternal grandmother always made hrutka, a Slovak egg cheese, for Easter, and I've decided to try my hand at it. Not sure how it will turn out, as my grandmother always hung it from the bathtub spout to drain, and I only have a shower...

The preliminary wedding planning was lots of fun. They found some incredibly gorgeous invitations at a local paper store, and a good possibility for a wedding cake. The baker suggested a smaller cake and then a sweet table, and she offers an amazing array of small tarts, etc. The bride to be found a strong candidate for her own dress. And we had a very productive meeting with an event planner that I have worked with on other events. She would do a wonderful job; now we are waiting on her quote to see if we can afford her!

Last week was totally bonkers at work. I had to do three different presentations, two of which I had to create from scratch. But all went very well, and one attendee at my Sunday session was kind enough to send an email to my boss, telling him what a nice job I did. Those types of things never hurt!

Chelone, add me to the list of those who would like to see the stenciling when it's done. I stenciled teddy bears in the nursery before my son was born. Both the kids were sad to see the bears painted over before the house went on the market.

Kathy, good luck with the house. Mr. B is a hunk-in-training, for sure!

Mary, heads up! Don't let that Cadbury egg hit you on the noggin! Sending lots of virtual chocolate your way. I know that you and your family will flourish no matter what, but it's not an easy transition to go through if that's what is to be.

Last night we had several hundred geese spend the night here. About one hundred took offense when I went down the driveway to go to work - quite the sight and quite the racket. But our weather is still the pits. We have a winter storm warning for up to 8 inches of wet snow by tomorrow night. Yuk - and another weekend down the tubes for garden clean-up. As Ei said, it's darn hard to rake frozen leaves.

That's probably enough catch up for now. I have enjoyed all the photos and have made lots of other comments in my head to all the rest of you.

Happy spring?

V.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Couldn't let today go by without noting...

{{gwi:150153}}

Eden

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

I needed to buzz back here and leave this for Saucy.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

I did planting tonight after work as my house chores .. I bought some color when I was up in St Helena today to add a little more spring ambience to the back garden. Then I paid bills. Now Im Idylling..

Denise welcome back ..though it seems upside down to welcome you back to 500 miles away as opposed to 60. I make a point to buy something from Robins booth every year. DS and I love the one we got last year ..Pelargonium schizopetalum. It has yet to bloom, but the leaves are very cool. Ill have to post a pic. No garden show for me this year though. Did you visit the succulent dudes that were just inside the entrance to the plant marketplace ?

V, I live along the Napa River and though the geese dont stroll about the neighborhood they are frequent fly-overs.I always like seeing them in formation.

My Easter plans consist of not cleaning the house, and spending a few pleasant hours preparing for my fantasy baseball leagues draft day on the 29th. Easter has never been a major holiday here. I traded in my "Easter Bonnet" for a wide brimmed garden hat long ago !

So last month I was given a bag of books to take what I wanted and give the rest to the library or Salvation Army Most were given away, but included was The Da Vinci Code, which I have never read. Unchallenging popular fiction is just what I need right now, so this week I started reading it. Wow. I am absolutely shocked by how poorly written this book is (hope none of you are related to the author , lol !) and unchallenging is surely what I got. Is this just me ? I mean there is no character development, stilted dialog and about the only thing I can say that is even minutely positive is that he has mastered the tecnique of short chapters with a hook at the very end to get you to turn the page. But if you use that in every single chapter it becomes pretty predictable, and dilutes the impact. So Im going to finish it if for no other reason than to see if it can get much worse.

Ok, soapbox and book review over ! Hi to all, and see ya later !

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Forgotten comments coming back to me...

Denise, if the recycle yard was the same one I saw featured in an environmental magazine several months ago, I am extremely jealous. The recycled glass mulch has been used in displays but I have not found it available anywhere around here. The coolest use I saw was a walkway that was laid with regular bricks, but the bricks were staggered so that there were square open spots every so often. These openings were then filled with the blue glass mulch. Very cool!

As for explaining how to do a hyper link, use ( ) to illustrate, and then tell us to replace those brackets with the . (I could use a reminder lesson on the hyperlinks)

V.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Hello all!

The house wren has gotten started before the sun has had a chance to emerge! She's been busy at the suet feeder.

I suspect Chelone is being insubordinate as I don't see any posts around 6:30 a.m. leading me to believe she's leaving the house in the middle of the night again :)

GB, I'm glad you explained the Abominable Snowman lumbering over our Phoebe! I'd stay on top of my training for sure knowing what's coming down the pike!

V., the wedding plans sound good! I vote for the sweets table as I like to choose :) When you first said "lamb cake" I envisioned something like a mince meat pie :) I think it should be red velvet cake so that the effect (affect) is like that of a lamb to .....well, you know.

Speaking of meat....Jake decided to be Vegan for a week on a dare from friends. What a great experiment this has been for Jake. I have to say I'm proud of his vigilance! I know he has been seriously hungry a couple of times while searching for appropriate food. He did slip up once this week....he didn't realize "broth" contained chicken :) I had to explain the concept.

Thanks for the link on ferral bees....that's a very interesting read. I feel just like I did when I first started gardening and all the Latin names felt so overwhelming. Last night's speaker was phenomenal! Really inspiring. The great part is that he's our County Bee inspector, so I'll get to meet him first had and hopefully soak up some wisdom :)

Kathy, I hear rumblings around here about baseball, too.

Denise, sounds like a good haul and I'm looking forward to the recycled glass creativity! I've always wanted to find a source because I think it'd be cool embedded in my 'tufa pots.

Yeah PM on the Apple trial! You are paving the road for some of us, I suspect :) My husband has been tossing the idea around.

Cindy, I hope that your air quality woes are cleared up soon! I am glad that garden season is around the corner - you deserve some peaceful time with the earth :)

I've gotta get Sarah sleepy-head out of bed. She's getting her hair cut for Locks of Love today after school. I think she looks cute with the "dutch boy" bob and can't wait! LOL, her hair is so fine that it'll take 3 donations to make anything....I've been trying to get red headed Jake to do it - now he has some thick locks :)

Have a great day everyone!

Saucy

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We had bells for dinner calling. Very big bells that I swear could be heard a mile away. Each family had a different sounding one and even the littlest knew "theirs." If kids weren't back to respective homes within 15 minutes, the posse would be sent out but little angst other than "what injury occurred??"

On bad weather days when we could only stay out for hours rather than the whole day, there would be a call: "How many are here for dinner?" Then calling to other parents to make arrangements and ultimately plastic tablecloths on the floor with myriad small bodies eating there.

Easter this year with my Mom and Dad, DS and DBiL, niece, nephew, Rich and Ky. There were several raised eyebrows from the usual holiday Mart's house attendees. Seems we've become a tradition!! I'm really looking forward to spending a holiday with my parents for wholly obvious reasons given their ages.

PM2 -- Hooray for your seeds!

Mary -- Clary Sage!!! Of course!! The little buggers are ignoring all instruction and sprouted in 3 days. If they ar e an indication of seed-pace this year I won't start much else until a week before frost-free:-)

Denise - Sounds like your trip was amazing in it's own way. I always love meeting folks in the biz and finding most to be really "real" people. So different from most business folks these days.

Kathy - How was the caravan? What color? We need proof LOL

Suddenly very busy at work (grateful doesn't describe it) and I really think the longer days have a lot to do with it. Coming out of hibernation....

Waving and smiling at all....

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

TGIF!

Good Friday morning to you all! Judging by the light traffic I encountered on my way to work I suspect most people have today off. I'm from the Boston area where Good Friday was never a holiday. Here in central CT, where manufacturing used to be king, most companies shut down. Lots of coworkers have taken the day off. Usually they cut us loose around two-a half day for me...lol. I'm toying with the idea of heading up to ski in VT on Easter. Unfortunately it's one of the few things I don't enjoy doing alone so if I decide to go it will be a real stretch out of my comfort zone. It might be easier to just work on garden cleanup.

Not much to report this week. Nick got his teeth cleaned on Tuesday. Luckily I have a vet who doesn't gouge for this type of service. The total bill was about $370 and that included the full blood work, 6 extractions and the antibiotic and pain meds. This is the second year in a row he's lost teeth. Bad teeth are common in the breed. I should get on Cynthia's chicken neck program but man what a mess that would be on dogs with beards and leg furnishings. Yuck!

The other news, for those I haven't already told, Tom bought a house last weekend! Yay! Closing date is on or before April 25th. Party on the 26th...lol. Alot of the furniture is going with him so I'll be living sparse for a while but it will be nice to eventually have some new stuff.

Mary, I've been thinking about you. Life changing decisions are tough but they usually work out for the best.

Here is a picture of a two week old litter of puppies born to our rescue group. Mom is a mini schnauzer and we were told dad was a poodle. Foster mom, Shelly is a nut with the camera. Cute little buggers, aren't they?

{{gwi:152628}}

Enjoy!

Sue

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I want one....

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

There's a party at Sue's on the 26th of April!!! I'd love to come...but Phoebe won't let me. :(

Saucy, I used to agree with you that training Charlotte was necessary because she would develop into a huge dog. (75lbs) Now I feel entirely differently about things. I believe that no matter the size, the training is vital. And training the owners is the biggest thing! I mean, just look at what happened to Jerrie's foster pooch through no fault of his own!Grrrr.

The sun is out, DH is home, and who knows what the day will offer?

Later,
    'bug

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

What a bunch of dolls those pups are, Sue! Yeah, you have some fun news to report -- you get to redecorate too. It will be nice to get the chapter over with and onto your own world wont it? I can relate to the comfort zone of solo things -- I can still say it's hard to take a vacation by oneself - I just have a hard time doing that.

V -- sounds like you're having a great start to the wedding preps and all are being reasonable -- sure to have glitches but hopefully it will be a lot of fun for all - including you.

I second the glass much being such a cool accent -- I've only ever seen one or two places on the 'net that sell it -- & think they're both West Coast; I played w/ the idea but was concerned the cost of shipping would be prohibitive.

Denise - that's neat you got some good loot at the show -- I love the geraniacae website; have often thought of ordering from there - I confess I ordered a few things from Digging Dog on the west coast this year - it will be interesting to see how they fare across the country.

Kathy - I will second the poorly written Davinci Code - but I did find the plot so sufficiently intriguing that I read it all in one sitting.... but I think popular novelists that make the best seller lists often are terrible writers these days -- John Grisham, Michael Crichton, to name just a few -- they usually have a neat if outlandish plot idea but forget the old fashioned concepts of character development or compound sentences... the world it is a changing.... one wonders where "books" will be in 25 years from now.

O, too funny -- the Washington Post has a squib about a Peeps Ad that's been written for our local Metro -- I'll have to try to find a spot & link it here....

Yes, cold here again and cramping the early gardening style -- they even threaten a few flakes tomorrow, altho I doubt that -- I traded in my Easter hat for the gardener hat too a few years ago -- same for Mother's Day. They're two days I love to just play in the yard - but Im not sure I will get to do that this Easter. So instead, I loaded up (again) from the book store w/ mags on decorating, and the latest garden specials -- Inta's garden is the front page of the special Fine Gardening publication -- altho frankly I thought the photos did not do justice to the garden -- it's interesting to reflect on what our IU4 photos showed versus the garden mag/photographer -- I thought the front yard was one of the most stunning features of the place and there didnt seem to be a really good shot of it at all, among other things. Nor does all the garden art show up well I thought. Still, all too inspiring.

Okay, just got handed beaucoup work -- I hope all have a terrific Friday -- Im sure I'll be working to the closing bell rings here at the regular hour -- lawyers are not ones to close the shop early!

--Cindy

• denisez10
    16 years ago

V, of course, is a genius. Type everything inside the parens exactly as shown, typing in the web address for the linked site inside the quotes. Use instead of parens:

(a href="web address")

now type in the name of link then (/a) to end hyperlink, using instead of parens

The tumbled glass comes from Building Resources and follow the links along the left-hand side to Tumbled Glass. Shipping would be prohibitive. Cost is $1.50 a pound. I've been like a pig in sh**, prowling through recycled architectural stuff yesterday and found an old Dutch door for the side fence/gate/pergola project. A Mr. Ed door!

Great news from everyone, and now we have to get busy and find a ski buddy for Sue.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all,

Well I might just get blown away by this wind today, its gusting up to 40 to 50MPH!!!! Yikes! At least the gardens and lawn will be dried out by the time this is done and maybe tomorrow I can work on garden cleanup. What a mess we have out there this year. The freaking snow plows took out about two feet of my front lawnd and I've got gobs of sods all over the place, not to mention the neighbors garden light fixture, curbing etc. etc. AS I said a real mess. I'm itching to get on it and get stuff cleaned up.

So Sue, Would you like that furniture in my basement until you can buy new? So party on the 26th??? Shall we bring salmon? LOL

I'm over the moon as I finally broke down and bought a gizmo for my spotting scope that connects my DSLR camera to my scope and essentially gives me a 1000MM lens. Woohoo... A great tool until I can afford the telephoto I want.

Have you all gotten your WFF catalog??? Have you seen the prices of the annuals??? The coleus etc are selling for $7.95. If that's the case I've got a king's randsome of plants in this house. Yikes! I know they are usually expensive but that's unreal. I sure hope the nursery prices haven't gone up likewise.

OK guess what??? Its time to water the plants. ROTFLOL!

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

I think instead of Cadburys eggs I need one of those puppies.

Sue - I can't offer to ski with you but David and Annie would join you in a heartbeat LOL! It sounds as if your life changes are resolving. Have you determined where Nick and Zoe will go?

Kathy and Cindy - I was totally absorbed by the DaVinci code but at at the same time did my best to ignore how poorly it was written. For me it didn't diminish the entertainment factor - I knew from my book group what to expect. It was a perfect beach or travel read and one I really coudln't put down. That's why People of the Book was such a pleasure - to have history woven into a compelling story but with well crafted language was a treat. At the moment I'm stuck into "The Speckled Monster" about smallpox which I think Kathy(?) has read and has me totally fascinated.

Right now I am really, really craving spring but it is still cold and snowy and the ground is frozen solid. I think a nice brisk walk would be good - Clousseau agrees.

Mary

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Of course V is a genius. This morning, though, she is a genius with ADD. I've bounced from task to task and have accomplished nothing. Sue woould understand what I mean when I grumble about our tax accountant, who does not send me adjusting entries in debit-credit format, but instead provides pencil scribblings on a trial balance. Now I have to reconstruct said entries...

Saucy, I love your idea of red velvet cake! You know, a college girl who is a friend of the family and is Jewish is spending Easter with our gang. It will be her first Easter dinner. Her father has a great sense of humor and we have joked about coming up with some bizarre fake Easter tradition just to pull her leg. A blood-red lamb, hmm? I'm tempted, but the chocolate fans would crucify me.

We've got about an inch of snow on the ground and it is snowing heavily at the moment. Plows are few and far between - I think all the budgets are shot.

Denise, yes, that is the place I've heard of. I'm immensely jealous.

Sue, glad to hear that things are progressing. I would vote for stepping out of the comfort zone unless it's awesome gardening weather. Having had zero opportunity to do anything outside since late fall, I would be hard pressed to pass up a good garden day.

The wedding plans did hit a minor glitch, as the bride to be confessed how well she does NOT get along with her mother. I now am aware that this is a potential mine field and I will be treading very, very carefully!

Perhaps I should work, in case we get to leave early (due to weather, not holiday).

V.

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How large will those pups get, Sue? How could Rich possibly resist?

V - a blood red lamb cake would be right up her alley; ie., Passover. He'd probably think you were making her more comfortable!! LOL I think the "each person takes home a live chick" (not really, of course) would be good, though. We did that to an absolute diva/cosmo friend of Ky's (told her they were in the basement waiting because they got loose so often that we were afraid to bring them upstairs). It was only after she Demanded that she be brought back to the school empty handed that we broke down ....

Deanne: So the city made you a new border along the road? WWF's other stuff is just as pricey this year. The store people are reportedly nervous about losing sales....

Feeling for all in the country's middle who are dealing with waaaaaay too much water.

Sue - Crossing your comfort zone boundaries is going to be one of the greatest things in your upcoming months. Go for it!!

No early day here, either, but enough Cadbury to keep everyone happy for a few months. LOL

Martie

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Just in case someone needs another peep at peeps. The local metro ad --

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

The weekend looms , but I will spend part of tomorrow in my office ..my retreat during the open house. It works out okay because I am working on a project and have my first open house tomorrow, so I have to be out for 3 hours. A perfect chance to be in my office when no one knows Im there, thus no interruptions.

Im feeling vindicated that others had the same thoughts when reading the DaVinci Code. You are all correct, it is suspenseful and you just have to think entertainment and get beyond plot holes etc. Not surprised that Cindy read in one sitting ! Still,it is the perfect book for me to be reading right now with all the stuff I have going on.

Sue , after my DH passed away I was surprised by how short a time it took me to get used to the solitary life., and I was married for 25 years. Maybe some people are just hard wired to be comfortable with it.

Have not gotten a WFF catalog this spring, but since I never order from them I usually have to re-ask for the catalog every few years. The prices are extremely unrealistic for west coast gardeners. The faux Amos Pettingills golden prose notwithstanding, there is no excuse for a 7.95 coleus. I must say that the catalog has been very educational for me over the years, especially in the early 80s when many of the plants they offered were never seen in garden centers out here. I would still love to visit their display gardens though .

Ok , time to go, hello to everyone, and I hope to post a pic of a real live Sweetpea flower this weekend!

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

A Nana's Tale

DD is now 31, but many years ago she received a pair of Chinese pajamas as a gift, I believe from my MIL. Sarah was very fond of her "Gam" and enjoyed special trips to visit her and shopping and camping trips together when she visited us.
    Over the years we kept various things that DD was fond of, among them the red Chinese PJs. And so I gave them to her recently and the day came when she wanted DGS to have them. (Partly a scheme I believe to put the Spiderman PJ's in the background) In any case I thought it was sweet to receive this photo of the PJ's the other day. :)

{{gwi:152629}}

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Peaceful Saturday to all .... Sunny and winds only at about 20mph. Wind has been heading in the right direction and all loose leaves are deposited in the woods. Raking is Rich's baliwick and I think he's a bit disappointed :-)

Kathy -- WFF's display gardens are worth a drive from anywhere, but the ONLY time I'll get material from them is during their end-of-season sale. The deal is to bring a non-gardener with you to guard selections as they can easily disappear if one is not careful. The other hint is to be willing to inconspicuously dumpster dive for things that the workers don't think are worthy of sale. No one cares. I agree with you that they've become somewhat mundane in their selections, but aside from Antonelli's I still think they're one of the best mail order tuberous begonia suppliers in the U.S. You should see the begonia house in bloom!!

Anyway ...

Thought of Michelle when I was poking around a garden center and found the darn cutest little planter shaped like a house -- perfect for a children's garden. The idea is to plant tiny plants into the windows a la' strawberry pot and have it look like window boxes. Probably could easily be built.

Your kids sound wonderfully cool, Saucy, and I bet if they got together with Mary's and Wendy's and Marian's DGD's, etc. we could all go nursery shopping and they'd be sad to leave each other when we get back:-) Maybe we could leave them in someone's kitchen and enjoy the fruits of their labors???? LOL

I'm supposed to be food shopping but starting some more seeds sounds like much more fun ....

Does anyone ever hear from Taryn?

Later!!

Martie

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

It's a beautiful, sunny morning here but it's only 27 degrees and there is 6 inches of snow on the ground. Hmm, why do I feel like I have posted that before? Deja vu all over again, I guess! We've sent the snow on to Babs and Drema for their Easter pleasure.

I'd like to hear from Norma and find out if she;s been affected by the flooding in her region.

We have the saddest-looking congregation of geese here. There's probably a couple of hundred clustered in any spot with open water. They're all huddled together trying to stay warm.

Time to get a couple of things accomplished today. TTYL!

V.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

I'm way behind again...

Sue - those pups should go fast once they're old enough! I'd bet that mix of breeds would produce a cute and feisty little dog - hybrid vigor too...

Kathy - good luck on the house sale process. I'm amazed at all the work you did! Is that because in a 'down' market you have to do a little more or is that what is usually required to sell a house there?

gb - very cute Pheobe and mammoth picture... (DGS picture/story was cute too.)

Mary - The potential move situation certainly must be difficult to weigh and evaluate. I'm not sure if I'm confusing you with someone else or not, but didn't you live out there once before? If so, does that make it easier to contemplate the move, since it wouldn't be completely unfamiliar territory?

V - more snow?! ICK! 'I'm dreaming of a white Easter...' just doesn't have the right ring to it, does it?! There' been a little bit om melting going on here but it's still 5-10C below average here, especially in overnight temperatures. It must be playing havoc with maple syrup harvest!

Marian seems to have disappeared agin. I wonder if her newly repaired computer has bit the dust again? I hope she's not absent due to weather or health problems.

Yesterday was the first day in over a month that I didn't have a headache! Most of the past week I seemed to be battling a bug of some sort. Some spring weather would make all of us around here feel a lot better I'm sure!

The big Copper beast went home on Sunday evening last weekend. My friend came down with a bug at the end of their trip so went straght to bed when she got home. Her husband came for Copper. I was expecting Copper, now that she is almost 2 years old, to have got over the strange reaction she had last year when my friend's DH picked her up. But no... When he arrived, we opened the door, expecting Copper to run out to greet him joyously. Nope! Misty ran out to greet him; Copper stood squarely in the open door, blocking the entrance and barking big 'Friend or Foe?' challenges at him! Randy hadn't been here for last year's pick-up and I don't think he really believed me when I told him how Copper had reacted then but he got to see it first-hand this time! I said 'oh-oh, I hope she doesn't do the submissive pee thing on the floor again!' Randy hauled her out and onto the driveway - where she did the pee thing... While Randy and my friend's husband took Copper's stuff (food, toys, food bowls, etc.) out to the car, Copper came back in and plastered herself up against me. When it was time to go, Randy took her down to the car. She seemed to be OK about getting into the car. My friend e-mailed on Tuesday afternoon to say she was finally out of bed and feeling better and that Copper had slept on the floor by her bed ever since Copper got home. All of our other doggie guests are always happy to be here but estatic when their people return. Copper is the only one who reacts like that. It's surprising because she's a breed that, like a German Shepherd, normally bonds very closely to their family. It always looks to me like Copper has not bonded to them well for some reason. She's always happier to see my friend when it is her who picks Copper up but, even in that case, Copper is often reluctant to leave. Very strange dog!

Liam (Border Collie) arrives on Thursday for 10 days. He's a much mellower dog (although a high energy one too!) There's no question with him that we're the doggie resort but heaven is when his 'parents'return.

Hi to everyone else; I'm reading along but not retaining a lot of details!

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Im taking a coffee break from the seemingly endless house cleaning to drink some of my now cold French roast and read a few Idyll posts..

Nice to see you Woodyand yes, in a down market extras are necessary. Also in the type of typical California tract housing that I live in, one may be competing with homes that have the same floor plan and exterior elevation. My agent had gotten some very gratifying comments about curb appeal because of my front garden..hopefully its a selling point !

Tuberous BegoniasMartie I must confess that I can grow just about anything but for some reason I have have one h**l of a time with TBs. Last year in fact I bit the bullet anf bought several tubers from Antonellis (they had a booth at the SF garden show) and followed their instructions to a tee, and still got no flowers till almost Sept and only one or two puny ones on a couple of them. This happens to me every year ! Grrr. My speculation is that the micro climate in my back yard is just not conducive. Perhaps Ill have better luck in Oregon ! What is your regimen ?

Ok, better get back to workIll be back later for a longer visit ..

Kathy the Cleaning Lady

• chelone
    16 years ago

Hideously behind, haven't really read anything since my last post. But am mightily discouraged, you guys, for a few reasons.

I know what stencil supplies I WANT, but can't find them locally. I want "mylar" stencil material (5-7mil) in something greater than sheets 12"x18". I would like to buy a yard of it 24-36"wide.

I am an ineffective "searcher". I manage to turn up some useful sites, but they never seem to carry the sorts of supplies I need for MY project.

I don't want pre-packaged CRAP for the the "do-it-in-a-day" crowd. I want the TOOLS the professionals use and I don't know how to refine my searches to get to the sites I need to find.

I'm going to sit in the corner and scowl until a kitty comes to roust me from my black mood...

:( :( :(

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Chelone, try the link below. It was recommeded on a painting Web site.

Jerri

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Chelone, I called my local arts supplies shop (Lyon's, bless their independent hearts) and asked for Mylar sheets for stenciling, and she said we carry Dura-lar, which when googled brings up lots of hits for sheeting in various sizes and thicknesses. One site is linked below. I'm not sure if its the thickness you need or not.

Dura-lar the Acetate Alternative
    Dura-Lar is an optimal performing film that combines the best features of acetate and mylar. Each sheet is of archival quality and lies flat. Non-yellowing consistent color clarity, dimensional stability and non-tearing. The .003 thickness is ideal for protection of original artwork. The .005 thickness works great as an airbrush stencil or for color overlay work. Dura-Lar wet media is specially coated on both sides to accept markers, brushes, pens, and airbrush work without beading, crawling or chipping. Excellent for watercolor graphics, AV art, charts, maps, layouts, etc.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Chelone, have you thought of having your stencil custom cut? Depending on the intricacy of your design, that'd be another way to go. What's your vision for the stencil? Have you drawn up a design yet? You've definitely caught my interest as to what you're planning.

Explore the site below. They also carry ez cut plastic in just about any size your want. I don't know much about it but it'd be worth researching. Sounds good by what they describe. Look at the custom cut gallery too!

Eden

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

A quiet weekend day on the idylls. I have my hrutka hanging from a fridge shelf and draining, and the lamb is in the oven. The chocolate batter was quite delish - can't wait for the finished product. Making the hrutka brought back memories of my grandma doing the same, and then I realized it had been at least forty years since I had sat in her kitchen watching her prepare all the Easter foods.

Chelone, you sent me on a quest. Several years ago, the Stencil Artisans League, Inc. (SALI) had their convention a couple of miles away from my house, and their expo was open to the general public. I tracked down their website at www.sali.org, and from there found a couple of places that might head you in the right direction. Laserexcel.com offers custom cut stencils, but it seems like they handle larger sizes and perhaps could get you the blank material. And walltowallstencils.com seems to have a wide range of materials. While the website does not offer the blank matte that large, it could be worth an email to the store.

The SALI expo was an awful lot of fun, and had me wishing I had known about the convention earlier to sign up for some of the classes. I took a rather young DD with me on a blistering hot July day, and came out to find that my car battery had died of heat exhaustion while I was inside. A memorable day!

This was a "postus interruptus" and the lamb has finished baking and cooling, so I need to go make frosting. Happy Easter all!

V.

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today is a great one to Celebrate the Promise of the Season!

Everyone but me is sicker than sick here. Seems that the second round of the flu has hit so Rich is encamped on the couch (for the last 24 hours) and Ky hasn't emerged from his lair downstairs since 6p last night. Looks like a solo trip to my parents. Oh, well ...... I know it's all "for real" since Rich canceled a coveted appt yesterday and Ky declined dinner with an absolute old-friend beauty who was inexplicably dateless.

Woody: Your story got me thinking that if Copper was a child, eyebrows would raise ...... Reports are that seeds from the roses you sent as seed are sprouting. Passing the joy along as requested :-)

Kathy: Here in CT TB's really are great some years and some years they absolutely poop out. Don't give up. It all has to do with the material and there was some kind of blight a few years back. Antonellis directions work well for me, but I have a tendancy to plant a bit deeper (about 1/2" into the crater so the edges are just barely covered) and I mix in some rooting hormone to the medium.

One of my biggest gardening coups was getting a TB to bloom from seed (Antonellis, of course). That tuber never did anything again, but who cares??? LOL

{{gwi:152630}}

V: Took me a moment to realize that the lamb of which you are speaking was the cake. "Lamb is done so must start frosting..." stopped me cold for a moment. How wonderful to have those memories. I need help knowing what hrutka is. Google is way too slow this morning.

Chelone: As one who can't draw a straight line with a ruler, your stenciling project has me in awe. No, I can't even do the "one-dayer" kits. I tried :-( Have you been on the receiving end of this wind????? Can't imagine what it's like near the ocean at this point.

'bug - A perfect fit! Read an article via local radio website about the 4000 parents who are undiapering their infants and using signals to get them appropriately situated to do their thing. My first thought: I "know" one of them!! When Mr. Mom goes back to work, where will Reed be?

So glad to Idyll this morning, best to all!

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Happy Easter morning everyone!

I decided not to go the skiing route today. Alone I don't mind but skiing alone is just no fun and the trip was becoming more about proving I could do it than enjoying myself. On the bright side, it looks like a great day for some spring garden cleanup. So I'll work on that and maybe find a friendly bar to go have some dinner at some point later this afternoon or tonight.

On the furniture front, I found an antique oak dining set for the kitchen on Craig's list this morning. Sent an e-mail-now let's see if anyone gets back to me. I'm also looking for a patio set. The table I have is 54" round. Since day one I it's been too small and I find the style of the chairs to be uncomfortable. So Tom is taking that and I'm going to get something oval or rectangular-72" or 84" long. My local patio store has a good deal on a Woodard wrought iron set with six chairs and an 84" table that I so far have not been able to match on-line. Woodard is the brand I have now. It's left out, uncovered all year and has held up beautifully. The set I'm looking at is a different style with deeper seating chairs that are much more comfortable. Tomorrow I'll call some places in NC and do some price shopping. The livingroom furniture can wait til it gets cold again...lol.

Allrighty then...time to rustle up some breakfast and get moving. Enjoy your day!

Sue

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Happy Easter! Bella just called all excited about her Easter basket. We're painting today and tomorrow. Trying to finish up. Brad has a 4 day weekend from work, a benefit left over from the old generous days in the auto industry, lol. Everyone's so busy that none of us wanted to be in charge of Easter dinner this year so we're meeting the kids for Chinese later. Maybe a new tradition will be born.

Latest news here is that Jenni and Randy got married Friday. Then they got a puppy yesterday. His name is Magglio. Kathy may know where they got that name. I talked to Jen this morning and he kept them up all night.

Brad's trying to shove a paintbrush into my hand so gotta run. Have a great day!

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

I have spent the better part of an hour reading and chuckling over many posts. I feel reasonably well prepared to dive into the Idyll pool once more.

Our home is a rectangle. And, Kathy, I'm thankin' my lucky staHs that I don't have to haul out a step ladder and the shop vac. to remove what Mum always referred to as, "Irish Lace". Your home is lovely and knowing how much time and effort you've put into getting it "ship shape" I so hope your sale of it is speedy.

I cracked up at Reed makin' his move on the dog food, bare backside proudly displayed. LOL. One of the things that softens my general dislike of children (and dogs) is the complete lack of self-consciousness. So fun and refreshing. And the practical assessment of keep a diaperless baby on tile conjured a chuckle, too. Phoebe must keep older dogs at bay with her rambunctiousness. I like the comparison to the mature Bouvier to a woolly mammoth, too. And the chinese pyjamas are considerably more interesting than a Spiderman suit. ;) Spring is definitely heading your way... but as you know too well it will be a solid month before you will be certain. Hang in there.

Martie, we had a trio of dwarf fruit trees that were removed when we built the garage. I was not sad to see them go, personally. I had ZERO interest in the amount of work required to maintain them (let alone get fruit from them) and while the helpmeet professed a desire to do it the reality was very different. He has one full size apple tree left in his garden and a dwarf peach tree. He pays scant attention to those, too. Don't waste your time, is my advice.

Congratulations to Sue, as well. While the event is sad, it must feel good to know the finish line is in sight. Like you, I enjoy doing things by myself. But I think the "proving it" comment says it all. Have fun in the sunshine, puttering in your garden. Like Mary, I wonder about Nick and Zoe, too. As for the puppies... they should "go fast", being a good, "kickable" size. :)

My sympathy on the chipped tooth, V.. Things like that are so inconvenient, but weren't you lucky to be ushered into the chair so quickly? I am interested in hrutka... tell me some more about it. The green underwear story is one of those touching family stories that can be too readily forgotten; a loving, affectionate remembrance of your father. :) There are a lot of Canada Geese in my area; their "turf" is the golf course and when I take Rex there for a walkie I have to watch that he doesn't vacuum up too much goose dung. He thinks it's considerably more appetizing than I do. We often hear the nocturnal fly overs in the fall... it's a bit eerie to hear the honking in the wee hours of the morning, but very cool.

I grew up in a "neighborhood", too. I can still hear Mrs. Patrick hollering out her back door: "MAR-IIII-LYN, CAR-OO-LYN, MATTHEEEW!", lol.. The kids in our 'hood roamed in packs with the family dogs in hot pursuit. If there were 6-7 kids, there were at least 3-4 dogs, too. Little idiots marauding the neighborhood... . Mum never yelled for me; she always said when Mrs. Patrick called for her kids I shoudl come home. I nearly blew coffee on the monitor at the thought of bellowing, "LAAA-TRINA!" from the back doorstep. Too funny. Which brings me to a funny I saw on "America's Funniest Videos". It was the home stretch run of a horse race and drive to the wire was particularly exciting. A horse named, Hoof Hearted was driving and closing fast... you can, I'm sure, imagine the caller's voice repeating over and over, Hoof Hearted... . Cracked me right up. (still does)

Peeps stumpin' for public transportation killed me, Cindy. I've shared that nugget with several friends. Priceless. How're things going in the petrie dish?

I enjoyed "The Da Vinci Code", too, but agree it won't be remembered as a literary classic. Another favorite, that I thought was decently written was Michael Crighton's, "Jurassic Park". I think that's one of the creepiest science fiction stories I've read. Add my voice to the chorus with respect to John Grisham. But sometimes reading should be "pulpy"... they don't call 'em "beach reads" for nothing.

The latest issue of Garden Design has tumbled glass mulch used in several ads. VERY COOL, I agree.

Thanks for the help on "mylar", you guys. I get so frustrated trying to track down things on the internet. I don't know if I'm just dull-witted but I am rarely able to quickly locate a source for anything using Google. The local art supply store folded their tent some time ago and the two chain craft stores are into selling "kits", not tools. I understand that my personality is not the sort that buys "kits", that's why it's so frustrating for me. The last time I cut my own stencils I used the oiled stencil board and I bought it at the art supply store.

This time, I'm opting for a rather conplicated stencil and would like to use the hot pen to cut it. I would like to do 3 overlays (3 colors) and I want to do it myself. I like losing myself in projects for small amounts of time in a day and then seeing it all come together in the end. I still have to find a decent store to look carefully at the Liquitex paint colors... do you have a favorite in your area, Deanne?

Factoid: Mr. Ed was an American Saddlebred; a handsome horse. Palominos were traditionally the horses used by the queens of Spain.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Eden - a puppy sounds to me like a good way to start a marriage! :-) What kind of puppy?

Martie - I don't for a minute think Copper is not well treated at home. I do think, though, that she's too much dog for them and that results in a bit of reserve on both sides. My friend has a milder form of what I have so she has a balance problem although not to the extent of needing a walker like I do. However, she falls easily and has had a few falls while walking Copper. Since my friend also has osteoporosis, falls are not good things! Their previous dog was a smaller, quieter breed that was quite elderly when she died. Replacing her with a larger, rowdier, younger dog was not such a good idea. I suspect her husband is not really a dog person - he seems very bewildered and a bit embarrassed by Copper's strange greetings. A dog person would likely have said, in an amused tone, 'oh, don't be a silly dog!' crouched down to make himself look smaller and less intimidating (he's a big guy!) and called her over and give her a treat. Instead, he just stood there, clearly not knowing what to do. I should have thought to tell him what to do! Randy's brother and wife dropped by when Copper was here. They got the 'Friend or Foe?' challenge too but did what I just described and Copper was a big, friendly goof immediately. Copper has a lot of fun here - she has her little buddy to play with; she gets 2 or 3 good walks a day with her buddy, me and one of Randy/Barb/Arlene; we have a big, dog-friendly yard to run around in (her yard at home is small and most of it is taken up with a swmming pool...); on our walks, we usually run into one or more neighbouring dogs to socialize with; she's included in all our activities and a little good-natured rowdiness and silliness is allowed; there's lots of pampering and indulgence but basic good manners are expected. I suspect we're just more relaxed and more fun than her home environment :-)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

So nice to hear about Jenni and Randy! Did you know in advance? I'd like a photo of the threesome Eden, if they don't mind.

HOOF HEARTED type story:

Took Charlotte to puppy kindergarten many years ago. (Actually, took her to 3-4 semesters!) In the first session we were teaching the command "SIT". The pattern goes this way. Owner says "Charlotte, SIT" in a firm voice. One does NOT repeat the command, but being new at the game, I repeated several times: "Harlot, SH*T!" Of course this became a permanent command at our house.

Sue, it is great to hear how you are progressing. Your skiing decision sounds very wise. Wish I could be gardening today...but that is a long way off still. High of 26F predicted today. I'll probably concentrate on food prep and dog play. Phoebe has been enjoying "Fetch", a game Bouviers are not normally fond of. I'm not up to housework, something which is sorely needed here. With the sun shining it becomes very obvious too.

Last night was a noisy night of raccoon activity. If you've ever heard baby raccoons scream...well then you know what it was like. The cats certainly were alert to it. Loads of wild turkeys about this year. More than ever before.

I hope the silent ones are enjoying their holidays too. That means YOU Honey, Ei, Brenda and quite a few others!

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Easter greetings to the IdyllsHaving coffee in my extremely clean house and plotting the chores for the day-hoping I can justify mostly outdoor activities, since we are supposed to hit 70 today. I do have a section of my siding that was repaired and primed but not painted---that might be just the ticket. Open house went well yesterday, we had 11 visitors which I thought was pretty good for the day before Easter. We will open both days next weekend.

Woody, there is a columnist for the SF Chronicle that periodically writes about his travails with the family dog Como" who has always inexplicably been very lukewarm towards this writer . He worked diligently for a couple of years just to get Como to tolerate him. The columns are quite amusing . He and his family tried many different strategies at one point he was the exclusive food and treat provider .

Loverly TB Martie. Someday I will prevail ! One year I planted the tubers on the surface of the soil, uncovered after reading instructions from somewhere-I dont even recall who at this point. They were as always unimpressive !

Sue, my patio dining set is scheduled to be put curbside with a free sign on it at some point. I have always found the chairs to be uncomfortablethe arms are too low and one has to either lean or slump to use them.

Well Eden I must say I have never (yet) named a pet after a baseball playerbut what a great idea for the future ! What manner of puppy is Magglio ?

Chelone, I guess now when you want the kids home you call them on their cell phone ! No need to holler down the street, lol.

I wonder if Marians computer is down again ?

I wonder if our Mary wore *her* green undies on St Paddys day?

Enjoy your day everyone-

Kathy in Napa

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Woody, the pup is a lab/terrier mix, 6 months old. Jen found him on the Humane Society website. He's been living with a foster family. I've only seen a picture of his face so far. He's black with white marking, very cute.

Marie, they've been mulling over what they wanted to do for a while. They were going to go on a tropical vacation and get married there but decided they'd rather put the money towards an addition they're planning for the house. She didn't want a big wedding, so they just did something very small. He'd had her engagement ring specially designed so they had to have the wedding rings done and that took a few weeks. Once they had those they made an appointment at the courthouse. Megan and David were their witnesses and had a limo pick them up at the house as a surprise. Megan took care of the something old, new, etc., and ordered her a bridal bouquet and wedding cake. There was champagne and a celebration at a favorite restaurant afterwards .

We're going over later to met Mags so I'll try to get pictures.

Sue, I think a day of working in the garden is always good for the soul. Good decision.

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

I think some people just relate to animals better than others. I confess to a certain ambivilence toward the sort of dog whose muzzle would invade your most private area if you stopped short in your tracks. I felt that way about the Springer we had. She was a very loving animal, but so dependent... (can you say "cling on"?). The hardest part of it was that she SNORED... and it drove me nuts when she'd follow me everwhere, sack out and then shatter the peace with the snoring. No matter how much attention she received it was never satisfactory... very unlike Sally and Rex. Interesting.

I meant to comment on the Locks of Love gift, Saucy. Very nice idea (when I cut my hair I donated 14" to them). How do you thnk Jacob would look with red dreadlocks? hehehe...

I wondered about Marian's absence, too. I hope the computer woes are ironed out soon.

Also hoping this another headache-free day for Woody.

I presented the helpmeet with his easter basket last night. Mine consisted of grocery bag with some Peeps and cheapie chocolate bunny. His caused rather a stir... a real basket, complete with fake grass, and a truly arresting assortment of chocolate and Jordan almonds from a very nice, local candy store. "Wow, hon., your's looks a lot nicer than mine... " (No kidding!).

I've fired up the furnace to bring the Salon up to a comfy temperature for the first leg of pickling. I've mixed the primer 50/50 with water, have rags ready, and an assortment of brushes. There are a couple of boards for "practice", but it can't be that tough.

The wind was absolutely ferocious on Friday, Martie. Gusts in the 45-50mph range. I noted a lot of downed branches when I went out yesterday morning. It's still breezy (and chilly!) today but nothing like Friday. There has been a great deal of feline capering in the yard... many leaves to be subdued, you know. :)

Wondering also about the "silent ones", looking forward to news from their homes.

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad to see you "up", Sue. For the first few months of unmarriedness I tested the waters about what was fun alone and what wasn't. The only thing that never, ever clicked was eating out at a table. It's pure freedom to do what you want when you want, though, including ice cream cones for dinner and midnight food shopping. Breathe, my friend!! I'm confused about the concern for Nick and Zoe???

Eden: What great news about Jen and Randy!! I remember Bella being infatuated with him and glad that "Uncle Randy" is officially "Uncle." Was this spur of the moment or you just held out on us?? LOL

For Eden, PM2, and other seed starters who aren't this year:
    Overview:
    {{gwi:152631}}

From my "what works best in what" notes over the years, a motley assortment but it works! Egg cartons and styrofoam come later, LOL.
    {{gwi:152632}}

I'll try and remember to post weeklies of these babies for others' vicarious growing pleasure.
    {{gwi:152633}}

Off to outside for Sweet Pea and Spinach planting!! Had a small handful of spinach pluckings for dinner last night but left their cover on too long and toasted the rest. No more wintersowing this year :-)

Martie

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Ah seeds! Does my heart good to see them sprouting. I do want to do a few with Bella. Easy ones that sprout quickly. Martie, I'd love to see a week by week chronicle of how they're progressing.

Kathy, they are big Tiger fans, season ticket holders. I knew you'd get it! I wish my house was neat and tidy like yours.

Chelone, so today's the beginning of the pickling adventure! I like to put together Easter baskets. I did Bella's this year and had such fun choosing lots of little treasures for it. Let's see, there was a Dove chocolate bunny, three cute plastic eggs disguised as chicks with chocolate eggs inside, of course PEEPS, a play watch, sunglasses, bunny finger puppets, a coloring book, 101 Dalmations dvd, 3 schleich dinosaurs and a stuffed bunny. (I think that's it). I used pink paper grass instead of the cellophane type this year and liked it much better. I had to search high and low for pink cellophane to wrap it in this year and finally found some at Walgreens. It just doesn't look like an Easter basket to me without that finishing touch.

I've been here too long, best get back to my paintbrush before Brad realizes I'm Idylling.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

The Ultimate Peep Show...

{{gwi:152634}}

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Thanks, 'bug, for the warning re Betty Corning and instructions re training harlots, lol, cmm (cackling maniacally to myself, more like). I dare only hope Betty C. overwhelms that pot. She looks off to a good start. I noticed in a previous photo of Reed that he and I share the exact same "bed" hair. I've got a maelstrom of cowlicks in the same spot as Reed's.

Martie, that's some seed production operation. Sowed in situ in a few gaps this morning 'Triple Purple' orach, 'Gold' orach, and 'Magenta' orach. Love that orach! ornamentally speaking. Temps were up to 87 yesterday. Wish I could send about 17 of those degrees to those in need. Both my mom and dad are battling a flu that refuses to let go...and with the spring cruise coming the end of April. Spent most of Sat. morning trying to decide the best use of nine hours in each port of call, a nice problem to have but feels a bit like The Great Race, dashing through Athens in a day, weighing seeing Florence vs. Pisa vs. the Cinque Terra (voted for the latter). Frankly, a cruise is not my first choice for a vacation, but I am beginning to get a bit excited as it draws near. Perverse that I am, I just wish the ship wasn't so darn lux. A tramp steamer would suit me fine! But this is for my parents, since seeing Greece has been my dad's big dream. Now this flu is threatening to seriously decondition both of them. And my mom has been on V's Airborne...

All this cleaning is making me ever more grateful for staying in a thousand sq feet of bungalow with one bathroom. During the day I'm mainly found in the garage-converted office and/or garden anyway. Good to hear Deanne purchased whatever camera equipment she needs since we will all benefit, lol. The Easter basket descriptions sound wonderful. I deposited a small bag of Ghiradelli chocolate caramels on Mitch's desk yesterday, the only real chocolate lover besides me. That was the extent of Easter prep here. Congrats on the happy couple, Eden.

Sue, have a marvelous day. Pickle away, Chelone! I hope you have another headache-free day, Woody, that's great news. Yoo-hoo, Brad! Eden's not painting but posting Peep porn! Happy Easter to all.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Shhhhhhhhhhhh Denise! He's in the basement painting shelves and I'm supposed to be doing trim upstairs. Yesterday I skipped out on him and went shopping. I'm not a very good worker. Little secret, but when I say WE're doing a project around here, it's mostly HIM. I'm good at thinkin em up though.

I'm with you on the small house and one bathroom. As much as I hate cleaning the bathroom, I can't imagine having to do 3 or 4. No thanks!

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

(OK, Reed is the almost bald one, Skyler is the bed hair one.)

As to Mr Mom, he returns to work July 1st. Last week they interviewed at a day care place. It sounds great! First of all, it seems that in Edmonton one needs to get on a THREE YEAR waiting list. So the fact that there were available spots was astonishing. Second, it is situated across the street from DD's office. Third, the lady who runs the place has been there since 1986 and has some of the same staff she started with. Four, she has sent her staff to hand signing classes. Five, she has worked with no diapering babies a few times and is open to the concept. The bad news is that the opening starts in January. I told DD to put her $50 down and we'll work on the first six months some way or another in the meantime. We'll see what they decide. The fact that the woman is competent and actually listens to the parents is wonderful. She insists on a 15 minute talk with a parent at the start of each day to see how things are going.

Easter, so far...
    {{gwi:152635}}

'bug

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Taxes or gardening? Taxes or gardening? Taxes or Gardening?

I'm so late with the first, may as well stay on top of the second choice. Right. I think Daylight Saving Time created this problem.... beautiful day in Maryland.

Congrats to Jenni & Randy! Was he the 'big and tall' guy Bella was leaning on in a Christmas time photo? Or do I misremember?

• denisez10
    16 years ago

The trees can't leaf out fast enough for me to mitigate some of this heat. Silly transposition of me 'bug. I'm Skyler and Marty's Reed ;) Easter dinner canceled due to flu. Marty on day shift. Taxes done. Eden's painting by now. Can't face working on transcripts. Think I'll grab some books on Greece and Turkey and head for the shade. I'm sure Sue's up on ski clubs in her area but link provided just in case.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Well! I'm fresh in from my very first venture into the realm of pickling. I used a Vlasic jar (what else?) to mix a 50/50 ratio of white latex primer and water. I shook it thoroughly and advanced on the sample boards, brushes and rags at the ready.

I'm not sure what this knucklehead was thinkin', but I've never in my painting career ever done anything SO EASY. LOL. We've selected a grade of white pine that has some knots in it for the trimwork. I filled the nailholes, gave them a quick sand, removed any remaining pencil marks and then went for it. I really like the effect so far. The yellowy cast to the wood is gone, the knots have taken on a different character, but add some very nice interest to the run of the wood. I have given my sample boards a second coating and will be interested to see the final effect next to the single coat. The final finish will be a coat/two? of a satin finish latex clearcoat (no yellowing with time, unlike oil-based polyurethane). I have taken a couple of pictures, too.

I'm actually looking forward to coming up with an interesting window trim; it will be easier to see the effect of the pickling next to the wall color on the windows.

Taxes. The bill for the accountant is one bill I actually enjoy paying. I know the forms are properly handled and should there ever be an audit we will have the sort of documentation expected.

I think a cruise on a steamer would be very interesting, too. Some years ago we invited the crew of a freighter to the company Christmas party. They had a blast and were only too happy to cart all the leftover holiday food back to the ship for their comrades on watch. :) They saluted us on their way outbound for sea.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Congrats, Eden - how wonderful and economical of Jen and Randy - a couple w/ their feet on the ground. And we know you've got Brad trained perfectly, LOL -- that's my kind of "joint projects."

Peep porn to the max, what a hoot.

Neat, Chelone that you're making headway on pickling tests, and isnt amazing what internet detectives came up for you re the mylar -- I love detecting/researching on the net -- but some folks are frustrated by it.

I did a copycat re Sue's tasks - yard cleanup for several hours today -- gorgeous day altho a tad chilly; but my stamina is definitely not up to par yet -- I think Im suffering some of that March melancholy like Chelone and others -- the family histrionics/exile have gotten to me a bit -- not much I can do about it unless I turn back into a doormat; but it's hard to stand tough; I need to reinforce that kevlar garbage shield. Such is life. Luckily garden therapy is free and works pretty well; much much better than housecleaning!

Gardenbug -- that's terrific DD has found a good daycare spot for Reed - maybe another opening will pop up unexpectedly; you never know.

Denise - hope the folks get better quickly - that sounds like a fun cruise -- I loved Greece; one of my favorite places; I'd love to go back. Never really done a cruise tho as w/ severe motion sickness woes, that's my idea of a nightmare -- spend lots of $$ on a cruise and spend most of it w/ my head hanging over the side; the scopalomine patches are a miracle for me but Im still afraid -- it would be a tough way to test it out for a few weeks! I've often thought that was such a special way for families to create great memories - a trip/cruise together.

Kathy, sounds like you had a nice respite re the open house; hope it goes quickly and successfully.

Well, Im indulging in a pizza and pilsner tonite -- a treat for the hard work the muscles are feeling. Not very Easter like, but indulgent nevertheless.

--Cindy

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Happy Easter everyone

Still chuckling over the ultimate peep show and enjoyed Cindy's link too.

Easter was fun here. I made brunch and we enjoyed catching up with some dear friends. Their daughter is off to college next year but still wanted to join the egg hunt so I was out in the snow searching for hiding spots. I guess you're never too old for a good egg hunt (or Peeps). DH reminded me that he spends the rest of the summer mowing over the unclaimed eggs with the ride on lawn mower. We had guitar, violin and fiddle music after our meal as we lingered with coffee.

After our friends left I joined a neighbor on a bird watching walk and I'm now catching up on laundry. Annie and David's schools are off tomorrow but I have a full day at work:0( A 4 day weekend sounds a much better idea.

Mary