Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyl345

how can names be changed?

phyl345
14 years ago

I know I have read in the past on how to change User Names. I have looked all over the instruction pages; but nothing comes up on changing User Names.

Anybody know how to do that? - or a suggestion on where I could find that information?

I know this is *off topic*; but nobody posts over there - except one group.

thanks,

Comments (32)

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

How about just creating a new account?

• phyl345
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the speedy reply. I *tried* to create a new account - but it said *error* - I guess because it showed the same e-mail address (?)

there MUST be a way cuz I know other posters have done it - any other ideas?

thank you,

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Phyl1345: At the very top of the home page (or any page for that matter on GW)
    you will find, in very small print on the green background:

"Welcome! YOUR PROFILE or LOG IN (or LOG OUT)"

Click on YOUR PROFILE; they will ask you to confirm your User Name and Password (because you're about to edit personal info). When the page with all
    your info comes up, you'll find the User Name entry toward the bottom - just
    delete the one that's there and type in your new one.

You're done!

• phyl345
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey, that sounds easy enough!

thanks alot carl, from phyl ~ who will never be seen again!

• tlacuache
    14 years ago

By the way, just out of curiosity (and not that it's any of my business), but why do you want to change your handle, phyl345? It seems perfectly nice and inoffensive to me, but maybe there's something about it I don't know. Is it slang for something crude and perverted where you live? Perhaps I ought to look it up on Urban Dictionary. ;)

• phyl345
    Original Author
    14 years ago

no!no!no! Nothing *crude or perverted* ~ You gave me a good laugh.

Hey, that Urban Dictionary sounds interesting; I didn't know there was such a thing.

ok, here I go.....phyl, hopefully will be gone forever in a few minutes ~ that is if I'm successful with karls
    instructions

bye forever (grin)

• phyl345
    Original Author
    14 years ago

aw geez - here I still am - what am I doing wrong??

I get to the point where there are blank spaces to be filled in. One says "nickname" & the next line says "personal url" huh??? Is that what I am supposed to be filling out? (I did)

But, but, where the heck is a "submit" botton - or something - at some point it does say "your account has been updated" - HOWEVER - here i still am a frustrated phyl345

If anybody is still reading this, any ideas on what the heck I'm doing (or NOT doing) wrong?

thank you,

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Dear Phyl,
    One reader is still up to reply to your call for help. Do not take it personally. There is no conspiracy. It is just a test of your moral fiber. All Gardenweb processes are designed for maximum stress. You will be stronger for it. However, we understand suffering is demoralizing and can deplete the desire to participate in Community. We want to help you stay connected; don't isolate yourself! By tomorrow evening a member of "Gardenweb Moral Support Network" will reach out to you, with a friendly email, or a telephone call (if you would permit us to send it to a million spammers) and a copy of The 5 Step Program for Better Gardenweb Experiences. Meanwhile keep beating your head against the wall. The masters of this site have cookies installed that detect vibrations and groans within a certain pitch. They will respond toute suite.

Marie

ps. Please, folks I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just desperately trying to defuse some of my screaming heebie jeebies about the number of pop-ups of every sort and motion that have invaded my computer from ivillage, which Firefox and Adblock plus cannot kill. This post is pure projection. phyl, I bet someone will be on line by noon tomorrow with a fix. Good luck and please excuse this hijack of a perfectly legitimate post looking for an answer to a good question.

• phyl345
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey, hey, hey ~~ no questioning the moral fiber of fellow posters allowed on these here forums, don'yaknow - there's a rule & your sassy behind is in big trouble.

you are obviously enjoying a little *fooling around* before bedtime, huh? ~ well, I think you are very clever; & pretty darn funny to boot.

Geez, here's my opportunity to be or say something totally outrageous because I am CERTAIN I am going to be able to kill off phyl345 soon, very soon. If only I could get Gardenweb to let her go; never to be seen again.

Marie, you are NOT the only one still up; I am a well-practiced nightowl. Thanks for the chuckles before I lay me down to sleep -- in a couple hours.

thanks from Phyl, who won't be identifying her new name IF she ever gets one.

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

It is so late and I couldn't resist checking to see if anyone else commented. What's with "Phyl" why are you so down on her (is that sexist, to assume you are female, but isn't Phil (not Phyl) a guy name), and what gang is after you that you appear interested in the witness protection program.

Yours,
    Marie not a pseudonym, but equivilent to stupid because I have to get up at 6:30 this morning. Stupid, stupid.

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

It is so late and I couldn't resist checking to see if anyone else commented. What's with "Phyl" why are you so down on her (is that sexist, to assume you are female, but isn't Phil (not Phyl) a guy name), and what gang is after you that you appear interested in the witness protection program.

Yours,
    Marie not a pseudonym, but equivilent to stupid because I have to get up at 6:30 this morning. Stupid, stupid.

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

How did message 2 get past the censors? They said they rejected it on the charge of unoriginality (I already got to post once under the same heading) so I re wrote it with really clever wordplay and they published that one too. They like my cookies.
    And I am going to bed. Phyl (whatever) you get the last word. If you don't, I win and you have to tell me your new moniker. It has been fun making your acquaintance.

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

Phy1345__
    Sorry, but I believe you are engaged in a no-win situation!

Out of curiosity, I went to the "YOUR PROFILE" page and was treated with great disrespect! The page would load, with my screen name and email addy and then dump me. I tried repeatedly and received the same cruel treatment each time.

My assessment; The iVillage wizard-workers know less about programming and maintaining a large website than is required!!

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

I fear phyl figured out how to change her name, and as she warned, has become anonymous. Too bad, I was into the after-hours repartee.
    I am not anonymous: idabean/Marie

• phyl345
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SIGH ~~ h*ll & dam*nation ~~ hi, marie ~~ nope, i've tried over & over & they just won't let phyl345 die ~ oh woe is me ~~ guess it wasn't meant to be ~

however, i SHALL keep trying!

• tlacuache
    14 years ago

phyl345 (or whatever your name is), I sympathize with your plight, but I just wish I knew what those two words were with the asterisks used in place of omitted letters. Obscure botanical terminology, I'm sure.

• phyl345
    Original Author
    14 years ago

heh heh heh

• tlacuache
    14 years ago

What gives, by the way? Why couldn't you write "hell" and "damnation" in your last post? I can, can't you? Watch:

hell

damnation

See?

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

I'm of absolutely no help but I am ROFL.

• phyl345
    Original Author
    14 years ago

now ~ do you see why i want to get rid of her? ~ she didn't even know you could write hell or damnation without - without - some kind of catastrophe ~~

• tlacuache
    14 years ago

Yeah, go figure. Quasi-bad language on the internet. Who knew? I'm just glad there isn't anything too lewd or risqué out there. I'm scandalized at the mere thought.

Happy equinox, whoever you are!

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

One reason I'm loving this thread is that nearly everything is off topic and no one is upset. I wonder how long we could string out this stream of consciousness and loose word associations?
    marie

• phyl345
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hey ~ remember me? ~ would you believe i still haven't managed to change my user name! ~ anybody out there who *wasn't* here last march have any different recommendations for someone who is desperately trying to shed herself of the moniker phyl345 ~

i tried firefox cuz someone on another forum mentioned she was having the same problem, & she said it's impossible to make the change with internet explorer ~ but, alas & alack, i wasn't able to escape on firefox either ~~

oh, woe is me, still phyl345 (sigh)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

I have no idea how to help you, I'm still struggling with log in problems this week myself....

But if there is a reliable way to change your user ID here, bet someone on Computer Help forum would know :)
    They are a nice group and give sound advice.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Don't give up Phyl. I hate stories that don't have an ending.
    Can you create a new email address and then a new account?

• phyl345
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmmm ~~ well, christie, that's an interesting idea ~~ but ~ but, geez, a new email address would be sorta drastic, wouldn't it? ~ so many things would need to be changed ~ (just to change my damn name) i'd like an *end to the story* too ~ course, you'll never KNOW if & when i'm successful cuz i'll be somebody else!!! heh-heh-heh

morz ~ i definitely intend to ask on the computer help forum when i get up the courage ~ they're going to think i'm a moron ~

thanks from still phyl345

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    13 years ago

No, no, no! People on the 'puter forum won't think you're a moron. They are really very nice geeks.

Someone way towards the top said something about Firefox and Adblock not stopping pop-ups? I think you also need Noscript. I have both and haven't seen a pop-up in years - never - not ever!! Very nice indeed.

Kevin

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

You cannot change your username. I looked on my profile and the changable "nickname" is Wendy. Problem is that "Wendy" (nickname) is not used anywhere on GW.

I remember some years back when ivillage took over and messed up all the usernames. My username went from WendyB to "wendyb" all by itself. Some people lost their username. So for your main question, the existing username is out of your control.

I have multiple ISP email accounts for different purposes. You could also easily set up a gmail account for this purpose and have it forward all mail to your regular ISP default account. That way you won't have to manage two email accounts.

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

Here's a suggestion since you seem persistently bound and determined to bring about your moniker's demise: go to Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail or wherever and create a TEMPORARY new email address. Use that email address to create a new user profile. Once created, you can then change the email address via your profile page back to your old one if you prefer. If GW complains that that email address is in use, you may have to create yet another temporary email address to act as a placeholder for your old user name. Good Luck. GW seems glitch-y these days. (Keep the alternate email address to use when you want some measure of anonymity on the Web or to avoid possible Spam sign-up.)

New Year = New Name???

: D

• lefleur1
    13 years ago

it took almost a year ~~~ but if anybody remembers my quest to rid myself of phyl; i'm free; i'm free to be me !!

• franked1
    13 years ago

Just came across this entertainment on a cold & snowy afternoon.Marie's creative writing leads me to believe she is a scrip writer for a politician. Think Spring Know nothing about how to change GW name

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

How did you do it? buyorsell888 is my eBay board username where it makes sense, I've wanted a more garden themed name for here for years.