Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taryn_gw

Idyll 256--The March Idyll

taryn
18 years ago

Everything will soon be melting! Yay! And I think we just found our new house! Yay again!

Taryn

Here is a link that might be useful: John Fabian Carlson's The March Idyll

Comments (100)

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Norma...Im *so* sorry! My heart and thoughts are with you today. I wish there was more that I could say, just know we are all thinking of you...Ei

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday, Honey!

{{gwi:152823}}

But in peeking here again, I see that Norma has had very sad news. Im so sorry - my thoughts & prayers are with you and your family, Norma.

-Cindy

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

(((((Norma)))))

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

It is 50 degrees here, so I opened 2 windows in the office. The fresh air is so nice. We had new carpet installed in the basement last week and they also painted. The glue and paint smells are getting old. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow, Ill bet that things start greening up. I am getting gardening fever quite badly.

Eden, those containers are fabulous. Is that ornamental millet in the first one?

Ei, I absolutely love the picture with the Illustris Elephant Ears. Are they hard to carry over? Some are quite expensive and it wouldnt be so bad if you can use them several years. Do they multiply like other bulbs? Your urn planting is great too. Very tropical looking.

Honey, I hope you are having a wonderful, special day. What kind of job did you apply for that you need a CDL? Im dying of curiosity. With a $25,000 refund, you would really have a plant budget. LOL

V, the table made of your oak tree will be very special. We have a grandfather clock that Ricks son made from a walnut tree from our property.

Taryn, the house looks fabulous. I hope it all works out for you.

Marie, great turkey pictures. We still have our resident 2.

Babs, I sure hope that it is a misdiagnosis for Chris.

Marian, congratulations on 49 years. How sweet of those ladies to make your day special.

Cindy, how neat that your DB has been bitten by the gardening bug.

We just had 5 dozen daffodils delivered for the American Cancer Society fundraiser. They should make the office look springy when they open up.

I'll find a birthday picture when I get home. Coffee break is over.

Michelle

• taryn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY!

From me and a honey bee...

Taryn

P.S. we got the house! more later

• taryn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Norma, just scrolled up to start to read today's posts. I'm so very sorry to hear about your DB. Thoughts and prayers going out to you...

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

I've been so lazy today. I've done just about nothing, just a little laundry and finishing up a couple of plant orders. I think as soon as I send these orders in I'm done. I ordered almost all tropical and container garden stuff and did really well not ordering any shrubs and very few perennials this year. But if I'm going to keep myself to 50 container gardens I'm really going to have to pack those babies in, lol.

Ei, I wish I could plan out my containers over the winter, but it's hard for me to decide what goes where without seeing the plants together in living color. I like to get together all of the plants I've chosen and then pretend I have my own private little nursery of all of my favorite things to pick from when putting them together. Thanks for the info on Cranberry Sun. I love your container garden pics too.

Babs, Glad you and Chris got to have a fun evening out. I would love to see a performance of Love Shack. I sure hope they made a mistake with Chris's eye test.

Honey, ok what kind of job are you thinking of getting yourself into now, lol? Have a nice dinner out with Tom. I know you will.

Michelle, how are your projects coming. Will we get to see pictures when they're done? Hope so.

V, thanks for the ski story. It gave me a good laugh. What a cool idea for your dining room table. Bet it will be beautiful.

Cindy, Brad thinks I need a 10 step program for gardening in general. How cool that your brother's getting into gardening too. I would just love it if either of my sisters would.

Mary, I've been wondering how Ruth and her family are settling into their new home? Are they liking it there?

Hi T, what's up?

I know I missed comments, that always happens when I skip a day here. I've loved all of the pictures today. Oh, I know what I wanted to tell you guys. I found a new, to me, source for cannas that I'm thinking of ordering from. I'll link to it. There are 5 or 6 I've found that I must have: aries, beloved, pink sunburst, pisces, and snow dragon are on my list.

OK that's enough babble from me for now. Have a good evening,

Eden

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Taryn, Yes! Good for you guys! And Spring will be a great time for your move! BTW, I loved the pictures of it. All that wood is incredible and what a beautiful light fixture.

Eden

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Norma, so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Norma I'm so sad to hear about your brother. Hugs to you. We're here if you need us.

~Babs

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

Happy Anniversary Marian and Nolon!
    {{gwi:152825}}

Happy Birthday Honey
    {{gwi:152827}}

Tonight was one of those evenings when too much was happening - David's Drama club, rehearsal for the memorial concert, a quick supper then a rescheduled violin lesson. We're done and I'm pooped.

Hope to be back tomorrow to catch up with everyone else.

Mary

PS Taryn - congratulations!!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

{{gwi:152828}}

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

(((((Norma))))) So sorry to hear about your brother.

While this group is great about sharing words of encouragement when times are tough, sometimes you share the wrong kind of encouragement. I went to Farm & Fleet to buy dog food, and just inside the door all the bulbs were on display. Golly gosh, there's that Thomas Edison dahlia. And Smokey and Hawaii look pretty cool, too. And look! Elephant ears...

So I've never tried dahlias before; this will be another experiment for me. I think I'll plant one in honor of Norma's brother Bill.

Deanne, I have to give you an orchid update. My one and only phal very definitely is getting a new flower spike. At first I was afraid that it might be wishful thinking because it was showing up in the right spot, but now it is far enough along that I can tell it's different from an air root. I'm excited!

Taryn, how exciting about the house! More details, please!

I have to keep it short, as I'm doing a small financial report for a volunteer group tonight.

Tomorrow should be a calmer day! I'll post some pics with belated good thoughts tomorrow.

V.

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

(((Norma)))

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

{{gwi:152191}}

{{gwi:152193}}

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

{{gwi:152832}}

I'm really bushed, it's been a long day. No time to read or write, but I didn't want to let the day pass without wishing Honey a Happy Birthday! Did enjoy all the beautiful pictures...

Thinking of you Norma...you are in my prayers tonight...

Good Night All! Ei

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

My thoughts are with Norma at this time...

Today is the last day of my brother's visit. He made a ginger/squash soup for us last night. And that leads me to thinking about Honey's dinner out last night. Hope it was super!

This is for both of you fine buddies-!
    {{gwi:152833}}

I'm off to start my day...I hope everyone has a good one!
    'bug

• martieinct
    18 years ago

((((Norma and Family)))))

Happy Birthday Honey!! (No pics yet, HP high-end digital we got came broken so we're in the process of exchanging.) I'm thinking bright thoughts for you, though.

Congrats Taryn!!

Not much new here. Quick garden walk late yesterday resulted in comments like Deanne's with a few four letter words thrown in. Only real concern is with Dianthus at this point. Everything else should rebound or is easily replaced. Walkway is going in week of March 22. Material choices down to bluestone or an irregularly shaped paver in a terra cotta/grey coloration. Think we'll end up with both somehow. Rich can "see" it and I trust his taste, though I'll be supervising the actual in-the-gardens placement.

Bright, sunny day here but may just crack 40degF. The lamb part of March can't come soon enough.

((Charlotte)) The turkeys will go away, soon.

All the pics are stupendous!

Good wishes to all!! (Marian, Deanne and other orchid enablers -- was $3 short to get an awesome Phal as a try-it-out yesterday and refused to go back to the car for plastic. But, today have to go by the same nursery ......Rich is designing a bench to go along a west window. This is what they need, right??)

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Has anyone else heard about this? It was posted on the New England forum. Gardenweb as a GE acquisition...lol.

Sue

• drema_dianne
    18 years ago

Norma,

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother....

Drema

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

((((((((Norma)))))))). Im so sorry to hear about your brother. I see you posted just before I did yesterday and I didnt see your awful news. "Wishing you peace to bring you comfort, courage to face the days ahead, and loving memories to hold forever in your heart." Brothers are special and I send my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Thank you, thank you, everyone for the bday wishes. What gorgeous photos. They make me yearn for summer and prove once again what I piker I am at photography!

Congratulations TARYN! How fabulous you got the house!!!!! Any deals on yours?

Dinner last nite was scrumptious! I used up all my calories for the next month and have a bit of a hangover from two Golden Margaritas. OMG, they were soooo good. We had baked filet Dover of Sole, an Asian veggie medley, and DH arranged for the owner to come in to make the Grand Marnier Souffles (not on the menu). That dessert probably has the most calories and cholesterol of any in existence, but, what a treat! Im going to have to turn into a salad to make up for it all, but it was lovely.

Sue you beat me to posting that link I saw that article, too. Guess well have to brace ourselves for changes again. Grrrrrrr.

Cindy, thats great about your brother liking conifers. You guys can trade expertise and plants. What a bonus. Im really getting into textures and want to add more conifers around here.

Michelle, I havent yet applied for the job, just sent in a resume. With thousands and thousands out of work in this area, itll be a miracle if they call me but I had to try anyway. The job is for an operations supvsr over drivers of a fleet of limos and luxury buses for VIP travelers and events. The nuts and bolts of it is almost a mirror image of my job before I retired. The CDL w/passenger endorsement is probably so that I could jump in and drive if someone didnt show up or to supervise on-site at an event. I heard yesterday that the owner is a bear to work for. My thot is that its a job, not a career. If it doesnt work out, its no biggie. Meanwhile, I can generate some nickels for extra stuff like deck repair or a patio, plants, etc.

Eden, so that's what I'm up to now! You are too funny, but right on the mark. I'm always into something and it will be a challenge to find time to work again, lol.

Wonderful V, you got a Thomas Edison. I put 48" tomato cages around mine. Cut off the bottom ground spikes and bend them to anchor the cage upside down. I sometimes have to also stake the cage so it doesnt topple over. Oh, its so fun to be an enabler!

Oh, Martie, please take some pix of the walkway design. It sounds beautiful. How great your DH is so talented. Mine contributes "bull-work", but has no eye for design. Hes all function, lol. I think we may not be able to repair our deck (its sinking). If thats the case, Id prefer to replace it with a raised patio. Im going to call several places this week to come out and give estimates.

Hi to all. Gotta run and hop into the shower. I have to follow DD to the shop to have her car repaired and then later we're going to lunch for my b'day -- a BIG salad for me. Tootles, y'all.

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

{{gwi:152834}}

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

I want to add my hearty thanks to all that posted lovely pics, and sent good wishes for our 49th. It was great of you all!

Today is my day in town... so I will chat with you all later.

~Marian~

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Good morning all!

Saw a weather forecast for the weekend, should be high 50's to 60 here on Saturday! I have to attend a wedding shower though, figures.

I am very anxious for spring. I'm tired of my winter coat and wearing turtlenecks, and I want to see color in my yard again! I started some seeds on Sunday, and I was in the basement last night checking for germination.

Michelle, what a sad story about the bride's sister - how heartbreaking. On a lighter note, my Heuchera Peach Melba was a wimpy last year, but it was in a container being shaded out by a monster canna. H. Creme Brulee did much better for me.

Babs, I hope Chris's test was wrong- thinking good thoughts for both of you. My grandfather had macular degeneration, and my mother is showing signs of it as well. The Dr. advised Mom to eat lots of spinach and take a certain vitamin (I have to check which one)to slow the progression.

Taryn, congrats on the house! It looks like a beauty, I love all the wood and built-ins, and the light fixture is adorable. I love brick houses - my house is red brick, built in 1939. The light-colored brick is stunning - your garden will look outstanding with that for a background.

Deanne, LOL on the Bobcat - I envy you actually. My DS has offered to rent one to dig pond for me - when we find a place that will rent to an 8-year-old we're in business! Last year I started my begonias in trays with seed starting mix on the heating mats, under the lights. I read somewhere that the heat is good for cannas too. I started out with pots, but the heat was not reaching the tops of the pots so I switched to the trays.

Ei, love the container pics. How do your store elephant ears? I'm pretty sure my Illustris did not make it. It started to mold in the container, then I think it got too dry when I removed it.

Marian, good to know that you find spirea is not a good foundation plant, I'll keep it in mind. One of the foundation shrubs that DH removed here was a kalmia - it was pretty, but just too big. The trunk on it was huge - it had probably been here since the beginning. There are dwarf varieties of all the shrubs you mentioned, if size is a factor.

Well, have to run now - will post a pic on the other thread for Honey and Marian, then off to work.

Have a great day all!

-Wendy

• just_t
    18 years ago

Good morning.

Norma, I'm so very sorry to read of your brother's passing. You've been in my thoughts a lot in the past day.

Marian....belated happy wishes to you & Nolon on your 49th Anniversary. It sounds like you have wonderful friends to have provided you both with such a nice anniversary meal.

Honey, I like your DH's new wheels. It looks lovely, lush and very comfortable. I'm glad it is going to be good armament around your hubby for those times that his vehicle is sporting the "Just Hit Me" sign. Oh, the photo of the tulips is one from my visit to Australia......if you ever see gorgeous flowers you can be assured that I didn't grow them and they are not at my home. :o(

Sue, I hope you have a wonderful vacation with no on board germs flying with you & Tom, no injuries and the vacation home looks very nice.

Oh! Congratulations to Taryn on the lovely home, it has some gorgeous woodwork and it looks like it will have lots of room for the boys to play and for you to beautify with your green thumbs (and fingers!).

I'm not going to be around much, but will read as I'm able.

My best to all......
    Just_T.

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Taryn...I can't wait to hear more about the new house-how exciting!! Is it far from where you are now? Please let us know how things are going.

Michelle-those sprouting seeds in my garden are definitely the lupines-such sturdy plants. I tried to germinate a few indoors to see what they'd do and they are the same as the ones in my garden: )
    (I know I get excited about small things lol)

Mary I like those exotic pics you posted: )

I've been a bit preoccupied with this macular degeneration stuff-doing computer searches. It doesn't make sense that chris would have this because he doesn't have the risk factors. What has him worried is that the screening test that detects MD does show distortion in his eyesight(as a comparison mine showed nothing). So far I haven't found info that gives other possible causes for his screening results. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers for the next week. Not liking this-he really doesn't need this worry right now. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Eileen! So did you know that "tin roof--rusted" means you're pregnant? I was cracking up when you said: "...this rusty tin roof has to get to Curves" Is there something you want to announce? Do we need to plan a shower?; )lol
    It's not hard to root fuchsias. If you have a new stem that is about six inches long just snip it above a pair of leaves and remove a couple bottom leaves from the cut stem so they aren't immersed in water. I just stick the glass of stems in water on the window sill. In a week or so little root nubs will appear and then they grow like nuts. So that's how I do it anyway.

Sue have you tried the hottub yet? I bet you are having a wonderful time!

HI Marian!! It's 10:08am,do you know where your car keys are? ; ) Hey believe me I've done odd things like that-leaving my house keys in the lock outside for a whole day and that was because I was probably tending to the kids or something happened that took my attention away. I bet it was something like that so don't worry too much.

I've just loved all these springy bday/anniv. cards-soon we'll be seeing the real stuff! Am I prematurely optimistic?'supposed to be 60F on Fri!

Have fun today

~Babs

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good Morning Idyll,

It is turning into a beautiful sunny day here with temps supposed to get into the 40s.

Oh Norma, Im so terribly sorry about your brother. ((((Norma))))). As I was enjoying the sun coming up this morning I was thinking of you and how after the death of a very close loved one it seems so strange that the sun continues to come up and the skies are still blue. It always seems strange to me that the world continues to move on as it always has and always will when your own life is so ripped apart.

Eileen, I just love all your container pics! Please tell me what is that fabulous coleus in the arrangement with the Tropicanna canna? I would love to have one of your Illustris Elephant Ears if youve got extra. I was actually thinking of buying that one this year so Im excited that you have some. I always enjoy having plants that have come from friends. They are so much more special to me because I always think of the friend who shared with me when taking care of them. ~~ RE cuttings from fuchsia, I just cut off a new growth with at least four to six sets of leaves, make a sharp diagonal cut in the bottom of the cutting, strip off the bottom sets of leaves and put in water or rooting gel. Ive had equal success with both. This time of the year the stored fuchsia are putting up soft new growth like crazy and that roots up very quickly for me. After I see active roots growing I pot them up in tiny pots. Fuchsia resent over watering more than anything so the smaller pots need watering more often but they keep me from over watering the babies. In a few weeks youll notice lovely new roots on the surface of the small pots and then I move them up. ~~ I looked up that Clair de Lune and I love it! Hoping to eventually get a cutting of that one from you.

T beautiful tulip photograph. Was that from your Oz trip last year???

Marian, bummer that youve got winter damage in your gardens as well. I do have a variegated Leucothoe and a couple Pieris. The Leucothoe is new to me and I only put it in last year so Ill see how it wintered over for me. Monique and Sue both have them. I put in a lovely variegated Pieris last year but it died in the drought at the end of last summer. I do have other varieties of Pieris that do very well for me, especially a lovely dwarf I have planted next to my small pond. Ill have to look and see if I have a pic of it blooming in the spring.

V. Funny skiing story! I love to laugh and you and Brenda always seem to provide a chuckle for the day, thanks. Congratulations on your new phalaenopsis spike! Neat-O! ~~ LOL about buying Thomas Edison, Ive been looking for it for two years, ever since I saw it in Honeys garden. She sent me one tuber of it last year but it didnt make it. I was really happy to have found it at HD. You must be careful about dahlias. They can become an obsession.

Cindy, how neat your DB is now a fellow garden person.

Eden, love those pics of your containers. ~~ Im so peeved that the container garden tread we did last year fell off the bottom of the list and is gone. When I finally had the time to get to it and make the container booklet I was going to do with the info it was gone. Drats. ~~ Thanks for the canna link, So many beautiful varieties! I actually found a short pink with burgundy leaves at HD the other day called Rosever. I hope the leaves are as dark as they look in the photos. That site I went to said it has green leaves but everywhere else and the packaging says it has burgundy leaves so well see. Hopefully it wont have yellow flowers like the supposed City of Portland I picked up at HD last year. ~~ Sorry about the window on your car. I hate it when something eats into my plant budget.

Honey, that job sounds tailor made for you. Hope it works out. ~~ I have TE and Bellini with your name on them. ~~ Glad to hear the sign is off the car now.

Michelle, Im envious of your 50 degree temps and the open windows yesterday. I think we are supposed to get that weather by Friday or Saturday.

Taryn, Congratulations!!!! Way to go! Details please?

Eden, ROTFLMAO!!! There is NO way you are going to keep yourself to only 50 containers. I just know it. After seeing your coleus list and fuchsia list and now youve ordered more tropicals???? Hmmmm. Well, Ill bet you didnt know you were a comedienne? !~ RE container design, Like you I have to have all my plans around me telling me who theyd like to be planted with. I wish I could plan in advance like Eileen.

Sue where is that weigelia? Is that on the right side of your house?

Wendy, me too! Im so anxious for spring this year. Ill have to have a long chat with your about tuberous begonias. I only have limited success with them and no success at all with wintering them over.

Babs, I sure hope the eye doc is wrong about Chris. That is a terrible worry. It is becoming more and more common and hopefully they will find a treatment for it soon.

OK time to get to work here. Have a great day everyone,
    Deanne

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Oops forgot to tell you Marian that Kalmia are adored by deer here. The deer seem to suck the leaves off. Twice they completely defoliated mine during winter that I planted a couple years ago and it eventually died so I decided not to plant another one. I did read that Pieris is deer resistant as is Leucothoe. Hmmm I think I read that Kalmia is supposed to be toxic to deer but I haven't found any deer carcasses; ) Deanne I'll bet your Kalmia was a native specimen-bet that was gorgeous-in the right location though. I bought Kalmia "Tiddley Winks" for my mom and it stays under three feet and blooms well.

~B....getting nothing done!

• drema_dianne
    18 years ago

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question. I have been trying to keep up, but sometimes feel like I am missing some of your postings. Just wondering if it is me trying to read fast, or my computer...

Babs, I can't find where you first posted anything about Chris and maculardegeneration, but now I sort of see followups? Sorry I didn't get to call you back last night. Things got a little zooey at my house after we talked. Skip is home this week, and I get so used to him not being there, that when he is I can't seem to get my act together and get things done as I usually do. Maybe because I don't usually cook dinner just for Sean and me. Everyone else flew the coop! He and I are having fun hanging out though...I eat cheese and crackers and an apple or something:) I could live on that and popcorn.

The other thing I seem not to see is Sue's reference to hot tub. Did you get a new one?

I just wondered if it was me or my computer:) Maybe I need to read slower.

By the way Michelle, Kenzie is so adorable in her little pink outfit!

Congrats Taryn on the acceptance of the offer on your house! It looks really cool.

Have to scoot!

TTYL
    Drema

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

The March wind blows.

I just love birthdays here, what a treat for everyone.

Eden, you are such an enabler. I checked out the canna website and wow they have some great ones. My projects are at a stand still right now. I need to find a finial for the tuteur. The birdhouse should be painted and grouted. Ive been helping Rick in the garage. Sheetrocking isnt exciting at all. He has meetings tonight and tomorrow night, so Ill have some *me* time.

Deanne, maybe we could start another container thread, so that we can all have inspiration from each other before we start buying for this year. A bobcat huh, that Doug must be a softie ;o)

Taryn, congratulations, I look forward to more details.

Honey, your birthday meal sounds like it was special and delicious.

Babs, good news on the lupines. I wondered since the seed was from 2004.

Drema, dont you hate when you read that something was said and you cant find it.

Spring is coming...

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Why is it that when I'm really slow, the idylls seem to drag, and then I get busy and the thread just goes ripping along? It's probably the same reason why the phone at work doesn't ring for hours and then all the lines light up at once.

We have a wonderful sunny day here, but the reflection off the snow is quite brutal. Oh well, the snow should be gone by the end of the day!

Drema, I suspect that you and Babs were composing at the same time and that your question on Chris is answered right above your post. But I'm stumped on the hot tub too! Generally I find when I start reading a little faster I miss details. I can relate to your problems in dealing with Skip when he's home for the week. I start kicking my DH out the door if he's home for more than two weeks!

Babs, I never knew that about the tin roof - rusted. Congratulations, Ei!

The exciting news is that today we have a new employee and I'm no longer the oldest in the office.

Deanne - do you want a Thomas Edison? There were more left at the store. I'd be happy to pick one up and mail it to you. Seriously!

TTYL,

V.

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Babs, I hope Chris gets good news at the retinologist.
    Okay, now you're just gonna HAVE to get the two of you doing love shack on video and upload it so we all can enjoy it. DD and I both just adore that song :) I even found her a little decorative birdhouse on Ebay that has a "Love Shack" sign out front. I didn't know the meaning of "tin roof rusted"...DD and I never could make sense of that, lol! Thanks for the enlightenment!

Taryn, the house is just gorgeous! Great that it has all those unique features!

Marian, it's so good to hear about flowers popping up...spring is on it's way, I can hardly wait! Happy late anniversary to you and Nolan! Tell ya what, if you had a senior moment, and didn't get the ignition turned all the way off on the car, then I've had the same senior moment. Fortunately, when I did it, I was going right back out again soon after, so my battery wasn't dead. We leave the keys in the vehicles, too. Jim doesn't like them left in the ignition, so ya gotta put them in the change thing (that is wide open to view)...somehow he thinks that would make it more of a challenge for someone to steal it, lol! I just humor him.

Bug, the turkey pics are great! We've got quite a bunch of them in the neighborhood now. And, the pheasants are getting more plentiful. Hopefully, hunters won't blast them all back to extinction in the area.

Martie-Lol, you aren't kidding about 30 being a hard number. I'm sooo close! Thanks for the fish offer, I will keep it in mind. I love living out in the country, but selections of stuff at the grocery store aren't the greatest. When my friend, Diane, and I went to South Bend for the weekend, we were marveling at all the different produce available in a bigger city. Last night someone was cooking flank steak on the food network, and Jim and I both remarked at the same time that you never see it in the meat dept. at our store. Guess no one knows what to do with it, so they grind it into burger, maybe?

V-that is wonderful advice about what to tell someone. If they can't fix it, no point in making them self conscious about it. I did have to stop and wonder how many times I had worn a bathing suit and had the fringe hanging, lol! The how did you break your arm story is a hoot :)

Sue, it sounds like you had a lovely time on your trip. I don't blame you a bit for enjoying all the good eats. You have to take advantage of the opportunity when you have the chance!

Deanne, have fun with the bobcat! I've wanted one of those for years, but Jim says it's not practical. May have to rent one one of these times when he goes on a fishing trip. They look like they would be a BLAST to use.

The coleus pics are just beautiful! I have no luck at all with them :( They live, but they don't look happy about it. And, I'm terrible at overwintering plants in the house. I have a very small lemon tree, and a wandering jew that have so far survived the winter. That's more to Jim's credit than mine, though. He's much better about keeping them watered.

Happy Birthday Honey! Did you jam your dinner down your throat in less than an hour, lol? The only time I find it a challenge is at a restaurant. Since I hadn't been on the diet long, it was a bit of a challenge at Christmas, too. Jim's Mom has all kinds of food sitting around all the time, but I was able to fight off temptation. But, at a nice, leisurely restaurant meal, it's tough.
    Interesting about the histo...I've never heard of it before.
    Good luck on the job!

Yesterday afternoon, Jim and I headed to town. I needed a trip to the "bone crusher", and we went to Lowe's to pick up paint and stuff to do the bedroom upstairs. I'm GONNA be sleeping in a BIG bed before we start farming :) BTW, seems like someone...I'm thinking Sue, has a tempurpedic bed. How's it holding up..still happy with it??
    I had planned to get some cheap carpet installed up there, but when I figured out how much that would be, we could do Pergo for not too much more, and that's a lot easier to deal with the dog hair. Our current bedroom always looks filthy. Two black dogs and off white carpet...SURE, why not!?
    We also have to replace all the ceiling tiles in that room, from a leak years ago. And, Jim is installing a ceiling fan.
    I probably should be up there filling nail holes, and getting ready to paint. I'm actually thrilled..for once, I don't have to paint the ceiling, and since I'm going to paint before he puts the new tiles up, I don't have to be careful, either. Should be almost enjoyable!
    We didn't go look at beds while we were out. Jim would probably fall over in a faint when he sees how much mattresses cost, and I really NEED him in good shape to do the ceiling and stuff, lol! He's got a really bad sense of what things cost. If I asked him, I'll bet he'd think you should be able to get a set of KS mattresses for a couple hundred bucks, lol! And yet, he doesn't bat an eye at farm chemicals that cost a bazillion dollars a pint.
    Once we get the bedroom moved upstairs, we can lay the pergo in our "old" bedroom, make that the living room, and then I have a DINING ROOM! I'm so excited about that. I love to have people over to eat, but just don't have room with the table in the kitchen. Also, I really need to stop watching so much food network. I would so love to gut the kitchen and do up a really nice one. And, I'm yearning for Calphalon pans. My SIL got me a chili pot and a skillet, and I just love them. They're so expensive, though. Just can't justify spending the money on them right now. I figure I'll replace my old ones one by one, slow but sure.

Okay, I'm gonna go load up the caulk gun and get to work. It's supposed to be pretty rainy for the rest of the week, so it will be a good time for us to get at it. Jim's out hauling manure right now, once that's caught up, I think he's ready to get at it, too.
    Have a good day all, and an extra (((Norma)))
    Brenda

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

I think the reference to the hot tub by a few is the one in the condo unit we have rented in Park City, UT next week. The link is posted at the beginning of this idyll. I'm trying not to look at the extended weather right now since we'll be leaving CT on a day that may hit 60 F and going to Park City where the high is predicted to be 28 F. What in the world is wrong with that picture?

Brenda, I love the Tempurpedic and I it really seems to have helped my back. Unfortunately I rarely spend an entire night sleeping on it because of Tom's snoring. I'm going to have to take Simply Sleep pills on vacation because there will be no guest room to escape to when the snoring permeates my earplugs. Between the snoring, what I think are minor hot flashes and restless dogs I never sleep more than a couple of hours uninterrupted at a time anymore. Surprisingly though I'm not tired during the day.

OK the boss is in Disney this week and I have to get statements out tomorrow. I caught him checking his e-mail yesterday and asked him why he wasn't out at Cinderella's cocktail party or some such thing. What, Cinderella doesn't host cocktail parties? With all those kids down there somebody should.

Sue

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Hi all,

Just a quick check in this afternoon then back to work for me. It is a sunny and beautiful 42 degrees out at the moment and I succumbed to temptation and went outside for a little bit and pruned the wisteria. I couldn't help it. I kept telling myself that I had to get downstairs and get to work and then my feet just walked my body out the front door completely disregarding what my brain waws telling them. Jeesh, sometimes you have no control over those feet.

V, ROTFLOL, speaking of missing things in posts. I'd told Honey in one of my above posts that I'd FOUND Thomas Edison and that I bought extras for her so I don't need you to get any for me, but thanks a million for thinking of me!

Brenda, I simply can't wrap my brain around the fact that you don't have any luck with coleus. I grow them in more light than some do and keep them watered and fed and VOILA! Massive, fabu-fabu plants. Hmmm....perhaps they don't get watered enough? Same with trying to figure out why Ei and Marian have trouble with fuchsia. You are all great gardeners so I find it strange you have problems with what grows well here. ~~ Wow your bedroom/living room/dining room project sounds exciting. We had a very small eat in kitchen for 22 years before we put the addition on this house and I can't tell you how much we enjoy having a dining room. You are going to love it.

Eden, the main reason I'm posting this afternoon is I wanted to tell you that I just got in some new fluorescent light bulbs from Charley's Greenhouse and Supply and they are fantastic! They are also horribly expensive but they are supposed to last three times longer than the normal bulbs and they throw three times as much light! I installed them in my fixtures and it looks like daylight coming from those lamps. I'm over the moon with them. I like them so much I'm ordering another set to install over my painting table. It should be like light therapy in the winter to go to work down there. Maybe it will make it easier for me to get down to the basement.

OK must run to work now,

Later all, enjoy the day
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

okay, it's really not a very good day! If I read ALL of the sentences in Deanne's post, I can skip the trip to the store.

I've spent far too much time listening to music on hold with insurance companies!

V. the frazzled

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Greetings one and all ....

Angel rose seeds from Woody have started sprouting. Life is good.

Martie

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Took my brother on an outing today. Come along and see what we saw!

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Desi Arnez
    We're having a baby - my baby and me
    You'll read it in Winchell
    We're adding a limb to our family tree

While pushing that carriage - how proud I will be
    There's nothing like marriage
    Ask your father and mother - they'll agree

He'll have toys, baby clothes
    He'll know he's come to the right house
    By and by when he grows
    Maybe he'll live in the White House

Our future looks brighter
    But definitely...
    We're having a baby
    We're having a baby
    We're having a baby...
    My baby and me!

Im thinking pink and Ill be registered at Target, if anyone would care to send something along...LOL! Babs I *cracked up* when I read your post this a.m., but couldnt comment then, cause I was running late for work. LOL I had *no* idea! I thought it was a poetic way of saying they were old, because they were worn out from dancing...LOL! Ive *never* heard that saying before and have been laughing (out loud) about it all day at work. People kept asking me what I was laughing about..."ah, nothing"... Actually, Id be thrilled! Not to actually *be* pregnant, but to be young enough to get pregnant! :-) BTW, thanks for the encouragement and tips on fuchsia cuttings. I think Ill have to wait a few more weeks before I have enough growth on my gartenmeister to make some cuttings, but I cant wait. I am *so* longing for spring....Ive got it bad this year for some reason. Ive never longed so much...hope it wont be a disappointing growing season!

So many beautiful pics for Honey...I love all the eye candy!

Hearing Eden and Deanne describe designing their containers with the plants at hand, reminds me of the old days when I had the gardening service. I know just what you meant Eden when you said "I like to get together all of the plants I've chosen and then pretend I have my own private little nursery of all of my favorite things to pick from when putting them together." And Deannes comment put a smile on my face too... "I have to have all my plants around me telling me who theyd like to be planted with." I understand totally! I remember the excitement and anticipation when the containerized perennials would be delivered to our customers blank slate garden. How satisfying to move around the plants in their pots, switching them here and there, until you got the *perfect* combination, spaced perfectly. It *is* a lot of fun moving the plants around to create that perfect design and is something I really miss about our garden biz. Of course the one thing I *dont* miss is digging all the holes, all the soil prep before hand and all the edging, mulching and watering and maintenance after...LOL! I think the worst part though was being too bushed to work in my own garden. Still, if I was about 20 years younger, I would definitely do it all over again (but with more help). There was a lot of personal pleasure and gratification working in that business and of course many joyful days spent with my best friend Anita! Not like the job Im doing now.

Mary...did you see? I am *so* tickled. My favorite movie of the year, the one I raved about to you last year; "Crash"...it won for best movie! I cant believe it...I didnt even know it was nominated! :-) I thought it was one of the most thought provoking, soul searching, movies I have ever seen. Not that that I cant appreciate "just being entertained" when I go to a movie, but there have only been a handful of films that I can think of that touched me in the way Crash did (another one for me was "Life is Beautiful"). Anyway, Im just so pleased for them. BTW, your pictures were gorgeous...I *love* the colors! And, you have to tell me...what is that *neat* looking foliage plant? Very cool!

Honey...How hard is it to build a raised patio? I dont think Ive ever seen one. I love my porch, but really dont like the deck out back. It is so much maintenance to keep it looking decent. In the next house, I will still want a porch, but would definitely go with a patio out back. BTW, how tall does Bellini get? Does it need heavy staking like the bigger dahlias?

Eden thank you about my containers plantings. Well, I *love* your container combos. They are so expressive and yet they are so different from one another. I love the "light" or shimmering effect of the first container with the tricolor potato vine that picks up the colors in your verbena and then the moody black purple majesty behind it all. Very elegant! Hey is that black stem elephant ears I see in the background behind the container in pic#2? I love the way those stems echo the color of that black potato vine you have next to them. How do you like that E.E.? I think Ill have to put that on my list...maybe for next year. Glad to hear your cold is better.

I think my sinuses are *finally* getting back to normal. Its probably just the 60s hippie in me, but if I didnt know better, Id swear there is a conspiracy and a cover up going on...LOL! Seriously though, I cant tell you how many people (in fact I think its nearly everyone I run into these days) have been complaining of constant sinus problems. A few years back when I first started having these problems, I didnt know anyone (other than my dad and brother) who had them. I thought it was just a "genes" thing for me. But, now days it seems like *everyone* I meet has sinus problems and cant get rid of them. Makes me think sometimes that maybe well hear something 15 years down the road, about how someone did something to the environment, released toxic fumes into the air, or something that are linked to all the sinus woes. Okay, Ill shut up now before you guys think Ive turned into some sort of paranoid radical!

Sue I sure hope the IVillage buy out wont represent more changes for the GW! Sympathies with the snoring hubby...I have one of those too. Luckily, there is one blessing in being deaf in one ear...I sleep on my good ear and most nights (unless hes doing the sonic boom snoring) I usually dont hear a thing! :-) BTW, loved your pic to Honey. The formatting is so cool...it looks like it could be a poster with the way you wrote the script and the faded edges. You guys are so creative!

Hi April! :-)

Taryn...I am *so* tickled for you you deserve it! Its a beautiful home and Im sure you will all be happy there. Such a warm place, just the kind of home I see myself in some day. Youll have to give us a complete tour, when you finally call it "home"! :-)

Deanne...planned or unplanned you have some of the most *gorgeous* container plantings I have ever seen! Whats this major digging you are doing? Whats in the plans? A berm? Another pond? Tell me, tell me, inquiring minds want to know. And what are you painting now? Thanks for sharing your tips on the fuchsias. Well good! Im glad you would like Illustris. Should I send it straight away? The coleus you were asking about is Freckles. I really liked that one when I saw it last year too. Very cheery and I really like the unique coloring with the yellow and orange marbling and small streaks of red. It was an impulse buy...as soon as I saw it I had to have it! :-) I just started some cuttings of it so they are pretty small, but I would be happy to send you a piece if you like.

Michelle Yep, thats exactly why Ive got bulbs like cannas, EEs, and dahlias...because you *can* use them for several years. The EEs do multiply, but probably not as quickly as Dahlias and cannas do. I dont think they are hard to carry over. After a frost, I dig them up, wash all the soil off them and then leave them to dry for a day. Then I put them to sleep in a cardboard box filled with hamster bedding. You can use anything really, perlite, peat moss, saw dust, etc., I just like the hamster bedding cause its cheap! :-) Heck, the cannas have even stored well without any covering at all...just threw them into a cardboard box once. Thats because I had run out of hamster bedding and was too lazy to go buy some more, but most years I store them in bedding too. Anyway, youre suppose to store them in a place that is cool, but not freezing. My basement works just fine for me. I spritz the bedding with a *little* water just before closing up the box. Then every couple of months I check on them, just to make sure they havent become desiccated or mushy and if they seem a little dry, Ill spritz the bedding again, just a little. I usually check them around Christmas and then again in February and March. By the end of March Im usually starting to pot them all up again. BTW, if you would like that piece of Tropicanna canna (if it starts growing), Id be happy to send it along to you. I may even have another Illustris to share too, but want to see it send out a shoot before I send it along. I think I should be able to tell in another couple of weeks whether they are "good to go". So just let me know... just something to get you started! ;-) Oh, I also have the plain green elephant ears if you would like some of those too.

Cindy, I think thats neat that your brother is getting into the gardening thing. Its really almost as fun to watch a new gardener grow as it is to "grow" in your own garden! :-) And now youll have so much more to talk about! :-)

Marian smiling about the shrubs you want. They are *all* shrubs Ive always had a hankering for too. Sorry I dont have any of those to share with you. Unfortunately, our soils are neutral and not really to their liking, though I do have one neighbor who has mountain laurel. My best friend Anita grew Mahonia while she was living out here. It really only "just lived" and never thrived (she fed it constantly with Miracid). But I loved that bronzy foliage and it was so gorgeous when in bloom. Another acid loving plant that I have always wanted is Arctostaphylos uva-ursi. I dont know what it is, but ever since seeing a picture of that plant many years ago, I have wanted it. And blueberries! Ive always wanted blueberries. Im getting wistful just thinking of all the plants I would grow if I had some acid! :-) ...the heaths, the heathers, the hollies, blue hydrangeas. And Japanese Iris...I would *love* some of those. In fact, I've been contemplating trying J.P.'s anyway, even though I know they arent really going to like it here. Of course I love all the plants I can grow here too, but why is it we always have a hankering for the ones we cant have? :-) BTW, I *love* the color combo in your pic for Honey! What a beautiful and unusual color combination. I love "surprises"(or was yours planned?). Ive got some master scheme to change an area of one of my beds to a soft yellow w/magenta theme. It all happened by accident. I have a trailing oenothera with beautiful, huge, cup shaped soft lemon yellow blooms. On the opposite side of that walkway I had some wine cups growing and some had managed to reach the other side by the oenothera. One day I caught them together and just loved it. This year I plan to add some Mirabilis Flying Colors (which are streaked with a combination of soft yellow and magenta) to the mix, along with some Thomas Edison dahlias and hopefully, if I can find them, some soft spoken yellow mums. The oenothera, wine cups, and four oclocks will bloom most of the gardening season and hopefully through the time when Thomas Edison and the mums do their thing. I guess Im a little geeky to get so pumped about it, huh? I cant help it, that kind of stuff just turns me on. I just hope my vision is as pretty in reality! :-)

Fantastic field trip GB and a great diversion...thanks for bringing us along! :-) BTW loved your picture of the cheerful violas. I have a soft spot for Johnny Jump Ups and Pansies. I love their smiling faces and seeing them brings memories of my wonderful neighbor Marge (who also loved them so) and my best friend Anita...our company logo had pansies on it and we always send a little something to each other with a pansy on it (our silent message of love and "thinking of you" to each other)! :-)

In honor of Crashs win....

In The Deep (from the movie "Crash")
    by Bird York

Thought you had all the answers
    to rest your heart upon
    but something happens
    don't see it coming, now
    you can't stop yourself
    now you're out there swimming
    in the deep

Life keeps tumbling your heart in circles
    till you let go
    till you shed your pride and you climb to heaven
    and you throw yourself off
    now you're out there spinning in the deep

In the deep
    In the deep
    In the deep
    In the deep

And now you are out there swimming
    And now you are out there swimming
    In the deep
    In the deep

In the silence
    all your secrets will
    raise their weary head
    Well you cant pin yourself
    back together with who
    you thought you were

Now youre out there living
    In the deep
    In the deep
    In the deep

In the deeeeeeeeep....

And now you're out there spinning
    Now youre out there swimming
    Now youre out there spinning
    in the deep

In the deep
    In the deep
    In the deep
    In the deeeeeeep.....

Well, looks like this is going to be a crazy week at work, so I better get my beauty rest. Good night all! Ei

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good Morning all, A lovely, sunny day is on tap here again today. It is going to be a struggle to keep my feet from walking me out the door. There are so many chores that are screaming at me from the garden to attend to. Sigh. OK work first play later.

Eileen, you are such a sweetie! I so enjoy your chatty posts. Currently I'm working on a box with an arrangment of fruit on the lid. I'm going to do some spongeing on the sides and hopefully get this done and out of here by tomorrow evening. ~~ If you've got extra 'Freckles' I'd love a piece. ~~ RE Colocasias, do you ever have spider mite problems with them? I had a heck of a population of mites on my 'Black Magic' and on my Brugmansias last summer and I'd sure like to prevent that from happening again this summer.

Bug, that looks so interesting. Must have been a fun day for you. Thanks for the link.

Whoops, almost forgot, Ei, we are planning on making a new border in the front yard in front ot he white fence on the opposite side from the driveway garden. I'm planning on it being about twelve feet deep and thirty feet long. I'm also going to enlarge the mailbox garden so the dahlias aren't so crammed in there this year. Last summer I planted those dinnerplates too close together and they didn't do as well as the previous year so I'm going to give them more room. I'd also like to widen the foundation planting on the right side of the walk by three feet or so. I don't know if we are going to get all this done this year but I have no tours or garden events planned so this is a good year to get some new beds in.

OK off to the paitning table. Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Good morning, all. Just a quick post before I hop on the treadmill. I have a ton of stuff to do today and DD is coming over so I must get this show on the road.

V, that ski story was a real hoot. I could see that happening!

Brenda, I have one of the Tempurpedic beds and dont know what Id do w/o it. Finally, I can sleep b/c I get relief from pressure points (hips and shoulders) from my arthritis. Both my DBs have one, too. We can hardly sleep when we travel. I heartily recommend them. Your remodeling project sounds terrific. How exciting. Itll be like having a new house! Keep us posted with pix.

Sue, Im sure Ill be in a hot tub in the evening sometime next week while Im in Phoenix. Its between 82 and 85 during the day there now yahoo!. Ill be thinking of you guys in the snow. But Im sure youll have a wonderful time. That condo looks fabulous. Ruths kids just got back from there this week and they were skiing in 40 degree weather.

Speaking of weather, its supposed to be 60 degrees Sat! Wow, what a change in temps.

Marie, fascinating tour. What craftsmanship! Tell us more about where this is, etc.

Ei, Bellini for me got about 28", not like the dinnerplate dahlias which can get huge. Last yr. I put it next to "Fascination and Caryopteris "Snow Fairy" and loved it. It blooms its head off:

{{gwi:152835}}

Deanne sent me some last year and every time I looked at that plant I thot of her and was so thankful she turned me onto it. BTW, I tried a "Crystal Blush" dahlia last yr and wound up pulling it out. It had tons of foliage but it hardly flowered even with bloom builder on it. Bellini is a far better one. Deanne, your sharing your gardening experience and tried and true hardy plants has been invaluable to me.

Re the raised patio, my deck isn't that far off the ground.

{{gwi:152836}}

I think we could wall-in some crushed stone as a base and then top it w/a patio. If that's too expensive and our deck can be repaired, I might change it's design a bit by taking down the railings that impede our view of the garden and beyond. We'll see.

Well, gotta run for now. Hi to everyone. TTYL.

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Good morning, all! Great day here...I'm finally under 210..209.8! woo hoo! As soon as I knock off that .8, I will have lost 30 pounds :) And, I was able to get into a pair of jeans that I haven't worn in YEARS. Didn't even have to lay down on the bed to zip them up, lol!

Sue, I did some looking at the tempurpedic mattresses online last night. Jim was every bit as stunned at the price as I expected him to be ;) I'm going to have to spend some time laying around the furniture store, lol! Hm, wonder if they would find it rude if I brought a book and a cup of coffee, lol!?
    Sorry to hear about the snoring thing. Jim and I both snore, although I'm not as bad now that I've lost some weight. Fortunately, I'm a really deep sleeper, so if it's a "normal" noise, I don't wake up. Interesting the way that works, because I always heard the slightest noise out of the kids, and one of the dogs whining or starting to get sick wakes me right up.

Well, Deanne, I would guess my lack of success with coleus is probably tied to my poor watering habits :( In my defense, though, up until last year, I had to haul water in gallon jugs, or string a hose up from the basement. Maybe I'll have better luck this year. I grow REALLY nice Russian Sage, though--not to mention how well sedums do for me :) I always have the coleus in windowboxes on the porch, those self watering ones. I use potting soil with slow release fertilizer already in it, but maybe they're not getting enough food? Or, maybe they need a bigger container. I have a feeling I'm going to be a lot more attentive this year, just have way more energy. Maybe tonight I'll hit the powerball, and I can hire someone to fill in for me in the tractor so my gardening doesn't have to be interrupted.
    I'm almost as excited about a dining room as I am about the new bedroom. I found the kids' old high chair down in the basment, in excellent condition, except for being powerfully dirty. They had one of the wooden ones, it needs cleaned and a good rub-down with oil, then it can be in the dining room. Coming from a huge family, there's no shortage of little ones that need a boost up to the table. And, I'll be able to get a hutch and start using the china I've had packed up for ages and ages. It came from my Stepmom, and she used it every day. I probably will, too. It has apple blossoms on it, and I just love the pattern. When Ebay was just getting going, I got some great deals on extra pieces.

Bug, thanks for the field trip...that was cool!

Ei, I always loved that episode of I Love Lucy! It was a daily ritual to come home from school, watch WB cartoons, Gilligan's Island, and I Love Lucy. And, they hardly ever showed that one, and it was one of my favorites. That, and the one where they were going to CA, and stopped at that little place and got the rubbery cheese sandwiches.
    Will you be using cloth or disposable diapers?? Gee, I'm not even sure I remember how to fold a cloth diaper. Mom taught me when I was little, I started getting nieces and nephews when I was 4, and thought it was such a good time to watch tv and fold diapers. Yeah, I was pretty easily amused...Dark Shadows and diaper folding, lol!
    I hadn't heard of the movie Crash until I heard it won. I'll have to see it. I love a movie that makes you think. Pleasantville is one of my all time favorites-one I would love to see shown to HS kids and then discussed. Of course, I also love stupid humor that you don't have to think about. Airplane is a favorite of mine, along with the Naked Gun movies. Leslie Neilson is just a hoot!
    I think I was born in the wrong time..I shoulda been a 60's hippie, lol! I just told DD the other day that the hippies are going to be the ones that were right. Organic gardens and tree huggin..how could ya go wrong??? I always think of that old margerine commercial..."It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!"

Jim got a good start on his upstairs projects yesterday. We had more than a wealth of windows in this house, and when we sided, we covered some of them over. Now, one by one, we're dealing with them on the inside. I want the one in the bedroom boxed in and some shelves in it for my jewely box and other little gee-gaws. The demolition part is done, now he's boxing it in. He got a call from his cousin, and has to go help install drainage tile today.....grr! Today will probably be the only day this week they can do it, since it's supposed to rain, so I won't complain. There's stuff I can work on in the meantime.

Got a call from my Aunt last night. Mom got pretty sick yesterday. She has some kind of chest infection bug. Mom's going to be 80 next month, so nothing to fool around with. They've got her on antibiotics, prednizone (sp) and hooked her up with oxygen at home. Talked to Mom this morning, she's feeling better, but is really ticked that she can't go work out. There is a senior's workout place that they had been going to until Mom broke her shoulder. They had just gone and signed back up for it yesterday morning, then Mom got sick in the afternoon. She's too stubborn to be held back for long, though. She'll be back on the treamill before two weeks have passed, if I know her. I think it's great that there is a place like that for them to go, and they really enjoy it. The doc told Mom when she broke her shoulder that she'd probably never be able to raise her arm over her head again. Well, she's out to prove him wrong. Her goal is to be able to put her hair in rollers by the end of the month. She can get part of it done, and said it gets easier every time, and she's needing less help. She was also afraid she wouldn't be able to roll out pie dough. She called one day last week, and was SO excited, she had baked an apple pie. Peeled the apples and all. Lol, and Jim wonders why I'm such a stubborn cuss...it's in the genes on both sides :)

Probably ought to get off my behind and get busy. Jim requested omlettes for supper, easy enough. Bless his heart, when I married him, he thought it was totally wrong to add cheese to eggs, let alone vegetables. Tonight we wants "one of those omlettes with cheese, onions, broccoli, peppers and tomatoes. Do we have any mushrooms??" They grow up so fast, lol!
    Have a good day, everyone!
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Brenda, the new dining room will be great. We like pictures you know. My kids had a wooden high chair. I refinished the top, as it was pretty yucky. It looks great and is nice to have for the grandkids.
    I actually cant imagine living on the farm without a bobcat. We use it for everything. Even non-gardening stuff. LOL
    I admire your mom, I hope that I can have that kind of determination when I get old.

Ei, maybe well have to have the first Idyllunion baby shower. LOL Ive only tried a few cannas, 1 dahlia and one year some caldiums. I really havent been successful carrying them over, but I think its probably neglect. I have never misted them. Thanks for the tip on hamster bedding. I did order canna Pretoria. Illustris would be great, but I dont want to short you, so only if you have plenty. The green would be nice too. Your offer is very generous. Im thinking of a tropical spot somewhere. I also ordered the purple leafed castor bean seeds. If I have mentioned anything that you would like or if you see any perennials in my pictures that I could sent you a piece of, let me know. I do have some of the fancy leaf geraniums if you are interested. (If the cuttings take LOL) Im like Deanne, I think it is special to have plants in your garden from special friends. I actually have a chance to get some peonies from the house that my grandparents lived in and my dad grew up in. The single guy that lives there now is a friend of my dad and said he didnt care if I got some. Not that I need more peonies, but they were grandmas.

Honey, your picture of the dahlias is stunning. Next thing Ill be looking for dahlias. At one time I thought Id never mess with all these tenders. You all are such a bad influence on me. LOL
    Is that how much snow you have now? We have none. I think a deck or patio without a railing would be nice since Im sure you have a great view from it.

Bug, the organ tour was so interesting.

Deanne, heres a picture of the canna Rosever that I had a few years ago. I really liked it. A 12 x 30 border is a pretty ambitious project in itself. Youll have to document it with pictures.

{{gwi:152837}}

Michelle

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Just a quick lunch check-in --

Taryn, love the new house! neat that you've gotten it - looks like lots of potential there!

V- I meant to tell you re the ski story - I was hooting w/ laughter -- what a vision!

Marie - that's a really neat set of photos re the organ -- I knew it was a labor of love for those artists -- amazing isnt it? I think I heard it's one of the arts that are being lost slowly, isnt it, as few want to learn to carry on in future generations?

Michelle - I have to tell you -- Im considering trying dahlias also after all the raves and incredible photos I've seen here -- after I'd sworn I wouldnt waste my time w/ such "labor intensive" bulbs...hmmmm.....still - maybe just a few to try out, right?

Brenda -- that is so fantastic about your 28 lbs -- wow, you and Gardenbug are doing amazing! Im inching away at 14 lbs but do feel that Im really committed this time to losing all that I need to -- but suspect it's going to take most of the year to really do so... but w/ inspiration like yours, I know I can do it. Im looking forward to feeling like a different person. Im sorry your Mom is ill -- hopefully she'll bounce back. Definitely sounds as though you two share that genetic stubbornness.

Deanne - wow - a new 30' border -- Im so envious! Sounds like you and Honey both have some ambitious garden plans afoot for the next year... I know you'll keep us posted w/ photos -- looking forward to seeing you in that bobcat!

Sue -- good luck and have fun on your vacation -- altho I would feel bad too leaving 70 degree weather for 20s... even for a hobby I liked!

Honey, I imagine you could do the gravel bed/stone patio w/ a sufficient retaining wall - I had to have a slightly raised brick patio done (w/ concrete base) - they convinced me it was too high (at about 15" on one side) to not make it reinforced base of the concrete - hence, it was a bit more pricey than I'd hoped for a sand/gravel base brick patio -- but now Im glad I did because there is NO maintenance to be done other than hosing it down from time to time to get dirt/debris off.

Ok, enuf for now.

-Cindy

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Honey, let me ask the silly question - is there a reason the patio would have to be at the same height as the deck, or could you have a step down from the sliding door?

I'm going nuts with computer issues that are proving difficult to solve. Time to get back to hitting my head on the wall!

Later, V.

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

A couple of pics to show that I have not just rolled over and played dead !
    The first is the pile of raw slabs from cousin Keith's saw mill:
    {{gwi:152838}}
    The second is the lasagna beds I am making:
    {{gwi:152839}}

I have dragged 9 slabs from the pile to the beds, and need 3 more of the 8' long ones and 4 shorter ones. It is at least 120' from the pile to the beds. I have no idea how heavy the slabs are, but I cannot lift one. I just raise up one end and start dragging! As I said , these are raw slabs, still 'wet'. I would estimate they weigh well over 100 lbs. each. As the old saying goes..."Where there is a will, there is a way". It will not be very pretty structures, but they will contain the stuff I am putting in to them. I put cardboard and newspapers under most of it, and am filling them up with leaves, garden bed rakings, and old potting soil. I plan on buying commercial soil and manure to top them off.
    At the risk of sounding whiny, it certainly is not easy, nor does it do my fibro, and arthritis any good, but it beats setting in the house and cracking up!
    I have about got all of the beds cleaned out. They are looking much better. It is threatening rain ( we have had a brief shower, and we are under a severe storm watch.

If you look back at the first pic, you can see the pile of firewood that Nolon is cutting the slabs into. It is on the lefthand side. It is not as conventient to use as 'normal' firewood, but it is free. He will eventually haul it to the woodshed.

A strange thing is happening with my iris reticulata. I originally planted them on the southeast side of our Heritage Birch. This is probably the 4th or 5th year for them. They have almost petered out in that location, and are all on the opposite side! Now how in the world did they do that?

It is rumbling thunder again, so I must shut down.

Marian

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Marian, maybe those aren't iris reticulata - maybe they're walking iris?

(sorry!)

I finally resolved the worst of the computer issues and came up with a temporary work around for the second issue. But my brain is totally fried. so I'll try to keep this short and coherent.

How many Thomas Edisons do you need, Deanne? (kidding!)

V.

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Whoops! Sorry Sue, I thought you were in UT already: ) Hey Drema,Sue's not in UT until next week, lol.

I am so guilty of reading so fast I miss or mix up info...never listen to me; )

Marian,Marian! You must be careful dragging those things!!!! You need a helper! I don't have fibro,yet I'd bet even I'd be hurting after moving those monsters!
    Funny about your irises-could an animal have pulled them up and redistributed them? The deer are notorious for pulling out my rhizomes and I find them strewn across the lawn.

Ei-I've gotta tell you,just as you were laughing to yourself during the day I was too!I kept thinking you'd be ROTFL when you finally read my post; ) [I'm glad you are lol with us!]We love you! So think it's going to be a boy or girl? TWINS?
    Re:paranoid radical-but you're a CUTE one lol. I do think there's something to what you said-I think there is evidence that allergies are on an increase compared to past generations-more asthma as well probably due to pollution but I often wonder how our processed diets contribute to general health probs and our ability to fight off illnesses....psst don't drink the water either. lol now who's paranoid?

Brenda Sorry that your mom is having troubles. I'm glad she was given treatment so promptly since she's older. Wow her determination is such a great thing,good for her! I hope she reaches her goal-I bet she does.
    The thought of myself in a videotape singing Love Shack for people I KNOW to SEE,frightens me ever so slightly...! Lol I tend to hold the microphone AWAY from me so I don't a.)startle people with heart conditions or b.)make people cry from sheer terror.....lol. It's best for my performance to only be seen by drunken audiences: )

I'm so scatter brained...did I hear Deanne say she's getting a bobcat to dig up the yard?? Very cool! I need a cherry picker to take down a tree...

This is the time of year when I can't imagine that the grass will ever grow and be green,the beds of dirt will have plants and flowers growing in them and I will be able to take a stroll with no coat on....you should see all the winter debris I have to clean up-as long as it means spring is coming I guess I'm OK.

Oh Honey!I love that combo pic of the dahlias and caryopter.-I need to get that 'White Fairy'. I like how the mum buds lead into the variagation of the caryopteris.

Wendy-yes I've read that nutritional supplements do slow wet macu. degeneration. 'Wet' is the advanced version of the disease which involves actual blind spots in the central field of vision. I find it weird that supplements are not known to slow or prevent dry macu. degeneration which involves blurred vision-yet dry can evolve into wet. Maybe I read it wrong but that was the way it was described. Chris is so good at what he eats in the way of healthy food. Apparently the amounts needed to slow wet MD are much more than daily food intake offers. Lol tonight for dinner I practically made him eat a whole large head of brocolli: )

~BAbs

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

Good evening

Ei - I was thinking of you when Crash won the award! DH and I both agreed it was one of the most powerful movies we've ever seen. I too was thrilled it won, even though I spent most of the time watching it in tears! I was also wondering if it would lose any of its power on DVD.

Eden - Ruth, BIL and the children are settling in to their new home and love the DC/Maryland area. Things are working out well for them meeting new neighbors and starting to make friends. However, I know they still mourn the loss of their old house and their life in New Orleans. My BIL was there last week to cover Mardi Gras for the Washington Bureau. The first thing he did was drive over to their wrecked house, which is still standing though in an area where power has never been restored. It was still very emotional for him. The Army core of engineers are starting to rebuild the levys but to 1959 specifications. Scary to think how soon before hurricane season begins again adn then what will happen.

Today the snow had mostly melted from the lawns and I spent a happy hour poking about in the beds and borders, then a less joyful time picking up the last few weeks of doggie-doo. I also stopped by HD and bought a Thomas Eddison Dahlia - woo-hoo! Hey V- shall I buy one for Deanne too?

There has been lots of fun talk I've enjoyed reading - sorry I don't have time to respond. Today was hectic at work and children's after school activities, and ended with a coaching session with my string quartet which was fun but tiring. I just need to finish a couple of emails for work before dragging myself off to bed.

Good night all

Mary

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Good morning! Drizzle here but Above Freezing!!! Was in southern Vermont yesterday and folks were running around in tee shirts. I think everyone in New England is just a bit antsy for warmth.

Love all the pics and talk of Dahlias and Cannas. Last year was the first year I tried either (Can you imagine gardening for 25+ years and never having Dahlias?? Me, either, now!!) Don't know the names, but they worked much better for me in the ground than in containers. Is there a trick to container Dahlias?

Re: Beds. We are scheduled to take a "Test Rest" on a sleep number bed. Because they are about the same price as the temperpedic, we figured we'd give both a try. The Temp. was comfortable but Rich rolls around a lot which meant that when he got into a good pose he'd stay there -- sometimes with his arm across my face, etc. So, we'll try the Sleep Number and see if the firmness I want is uncomfortable enough for him to stay on his side.

Have been getting calls from soccer moms. Some of them have been outright nasty about me not coaching this year. And why am I not doing it?????? LOL Seems some younger sisters of kids I've coached had their "hearts set" on me coaching and the attempts at severe guilt have made me want to scream. I finally said to one: "If you feel that strongly about a woman coaching, why don't you do it?" Dead silence on the other end of the phone. 'Nuf said.

Everyone's trips sound exciting and like adventures. I can see the travel vicariousness coming on!

Marie, that organ is amazing and I know your brother must have had a blast going to see the work. Some of the pipes are so tiny! Just when I think such craftsmanship is dying, I hear about another person carrying on the old traditions. Good!

Looking forward to hearing more about Taryn's house, Deanne's new border, Marian's lasagne beds (Be Careful, Friend!!!), Brenda's and Marie's exercise regimens and everyone's coming and goings. Haven't seen "Crash", yet but the lyrics to the music put me over the edge.

Best to everyone, enjoy your days ...

Martie

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Almost forgot (and didn't want to start a new Idyll LOL).

Have a gorgeous Papyrus that will end up about 4' tall. Want to use it in a container but it's doing well in water and won't be able to start even a small water garden this year. What could I plant with it that likes really wet feet in a container??

Martie