Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerri_okc

Idyll's #308 - Old friends and new

Jerri_OKC
17 years ago

The Idylls: Caring, compassionate, and fun!

Carry on...

Comments (103)

• wendy2
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

{{gwi:152927}}

Happy Birthday Honey!

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Yep. Katsura trees are big. And the purple foliage doesn't last. They are an outstanding tree, but definitely not for small spaces. I'm pretty sure there are Katsuras at Mt. Ucanoonac (sp) Perennials display gardens not far from Deanne. There was one in the garden of a guy I dated who lived in Ipswich Mass right on the water. He had great trees and a terrific ocean view. Katsura trees have a distinctive scent especially in fall. Sort of like cinnamon. That's what I remember.

Time to walk the dogs. Great birthday cards! I woke up on the couch at 2AM and caught up on idylls before going to bed last night... :-)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

{{gwi:152928}}

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

{{gwi:152929}}

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY !

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

OK, add me to the list of people who just lost a long post:(. No time to redo.

Manana,

Sue

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Bummer on the lost posts but fabulous pictures everyone.

Woo-hoo - I just heard back from violin teacher #2 with a very friendly email to say she will be calling me tomorrow. I've actually been practicing up a storm lately and have even developed one of those hicky type marks violinists get on their necks. David very reassuringly told me not to worry - it just looks like a wart.

nite nite

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

BrrrIt sounds like winter thumbed its nose right back at you New Englanders! I got home from work late today, so Im not going to have a very productive evening. We are supposed to get some rain but it never happened today.

T, it sounds like you are about 3 or 4 weeks behind me- and I concur with you about the fall bulb planting. I have really let that slide over the last few years. Im going to do a couple hundred tulips up my brick path in front next fall- I can get a very attractive employee discount. Most tulips are basically annuals here, although I have some Pink Impression in my backyard that have come back for about ten years.

Mary, good deal that Annies teacher expressed her doubts that she could teach at the level you require. You really want someone who is able to guide you up skill-wise .. I hope you have some luck in finding an instructor with whom you "click" and is up to the task of an advanced student.

Eden, Enjoy your time with Mom !

Hi to everyone else! Time for evening chores , tomorrow is trash day
    Kathy in Napa

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning......too early to be up but I've laid awake for the last hour, just willing the body to fall back asleep or the clock to move a bit faster towards morning. Figured it was best to get up instead of making everyone else's day begin too early by messing with the world clocks. ;o)

I had grand plans of a huge day doing errands, grocery shopping, paying bills....but last night the twins' mom was called to work for a half day today. So, I'm heading in to babysit them (at their house) and I'll split my shopping and errands into this afternoon and tomorrow. Not ideal as I dislike extra trips into town, but not really a big deal when I know the extra funds really help out -- those babies are expensive. ;o) Baseball gloves, cleats, bats, balls, bikes, skates......yep, they are going to be expensive...might as well help them out whenever they need it.

As of last night I have a new battery in my car. Yippee (yep, the little things in life) I was concerned about being stranded somewhere and this just made me feel much better about being out and about on my own.

I wonder how Norma's grandson is doing. Poor guy. By now hopefully he is back to feeling well.

Mary, great news about your violin lessons....sorry about the wart/hickey although it sounds like it is a badge of honor for violinists? I did laugh when reading David's assessment that it didn't look like a hickey. Warts are much preferrable. LOL

Well, I cannot even have my morning coffee yet. The alarm won't go off for another 45 minutes and I don't dare wake the dogs before then. I'm sure they hear me in here, with the keyboard clicking, but they've not stirred (they are in their crates and close enough that I'd hear them moving about). Once they are awake then I'm expected to feed them and they are single focused until that deed is done. Big brown eyes imploring you to fill the dishes and get them delivered to the floor immediately can be very difficult to ignore.

Wednesday--hump day. All downhill to the weekend from here.

T.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I do believe this is one of the coldest days we've ever seen at this house. I don't believe it's been below zero more than a couple of times in the 16 years we've lived here. And this morning is one of them, -1, to be exact. But the wind has abated.

My cold has not, however. :( The tip off that things are not "right" with me is a complete lack of desire for a cup of coffee. I've had no coffee since Sunday morning and even that one didn't taste all that great. So, I'll remain in my "lounge wear" and safely at home again, today.

Add me to the group that rarely get bulbs into the ground with any level of efficiency. I never order them early from catalogue sources and then am usually less that thrilled with what's available in local establishments. Maybe this year will break the spell?

Time to grab my book and "kick back" until the helpmeet is finished in the shower; maybe one of those will perk me up a little bit.

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU all the wonderful birthday pix and wishes! After all the incredible garden pix, I wont ever post one of mine again. Wow, you guys. You are the BEST. Cant wait for Spring. Chelone, I love Spencer. Hes too cute.

I couldnt sleep so have been up since 3:45 am. We got 4" of snow overnite. Hope my plane isnt delayed. Cant wait to blow this pop stand.

Last nite, I called my other lifelong friend (also in Fla.) just to hear her voice and share memories of our mutual friend. The 3 of us girls were best buds since we were 12 yrs. old. We cried and laughed over the crazy and funny things we did together and I think it helped us both.

OK, Ive caught up on the threads. When reading about Ts dual "Charley Browns" sharing their first germs and then the prune/apple fiasco, I remembered that our GN shared her tummy flu with all of us. Oh, what a joy that was! I cant imagine dealing with it in duplicate!

Marie, I thot that hosta was "Fire and Ice". Looks like you REALLY got socked in up there.

So sorry you guys in the NE are dealing with such brutal weather. Weve had those horrid winds here, too. Im afraid my new azaleas out front are probably toast and Im keeping my fingers crossed that the Knockouts come thru ok.

Babs, Im so sorry your SIL is giving you such a tough time. It has to be maddening for you. Its obvious she doesnt have a clue. Ive noticed that my single friends w/no kids and/or who have never taken care of a loved one with a serious illness, often think they have all the answers. As frustrating as it is, all you can do is speak your mind firmly, be tolerant and dont let her push your buttons. ((((((Babs)))))))

Kathy, it looks like youve got a great head-start on Spring already. Youll have to keep the pix coming until the rest of us catch up.

Ei, so sorry youre dealing with such heart-breaking, difficult issues with your Mom. Youll be in my thots and prayers.

Jerri, Buddy is sooo cute and you have a huge heart. Sounds like you are super busy with your charges.

T, thank you for your sweet , kind thots! I feel the same about you.

Eden, I clean up a storm before Mom comes over, too. She always used to do a white glove inspection after I did my chores as a kid. Guess you never forget that. Oh, that Dahlia is gorgeous! Thanks. Enjoy your visit with your Mom.

Mary, great news about finding a new violin instructor. Im sure your audition will go splendidly. As others have said, sometimes a disappointment turns out to be a good thing. This teacher might be more suited to developing your talent!

Loved the pic of the mini IU at Deanne's. Deanne, Sue, you both look so healthy and positively glow in that pic. You're a real inspiration for me to get back into my exercise routine.

Hi to anyone I missed. Im off to finish packing last minute stuff and to the shower. Oh, and I have to put on my tan stuff. These ole white legs just wont do!

TTYL next week when I get back from vacation. Stay warm and safe everyone.

Honey

• martieinct
    17 years ago

ggggggoooodddd mmmmmmiororroronnnnninnnggg. Add me to the list of frozen New England Idyllers. Have decided to just pack up and go join Kenzie and Honey :-)

Learned a valuable lesson yesterday: Do not park in a deep puddle just left by a car wash ajoining a gas station. By the time I filled up, got a cuppa, paid and chatted with an adorable woman for a few minutes, my car was frozen into the puddle. It caused a good laugh amongst the regulars who just figured it was my "southern" blood :-) (I guess that living in the next state down about 50 miles away qualifies me as a foreigner :-)

Not much to add except that I'm loving all the pics. HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY.

How about this??? What if the Idylls picked one ****easy*** piece of music, recorded it at the same tempo, and morphed it together on-line?? Those if us without instrument or voice that can be shared will keep the beat by finger snapping.

We ended up with an extra 5 for dinner Saturday, to whomever asked (we're moving fast, here). Major discussion was a myriad of ways to cook chicken. Many of them are seniors and there is a Need to Know.

I'm looking forward to the bathtub being reglazed and appreciate the heads up about cleaning supplies. Rich assures me that the materials have vastly improved in the last several years. I'm just looking forward to the sink, toilet and tub all being the same color. Cleaning bathrooms gets done but not happily.

Running now (really!) to get as warm as I can before heading out. Won't get out of the 20's today and I'm starting to worry about some of the plants. Love V's advice that anything dead becomes a new opportunity!!

Best -

Martie

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

{{gwi:152930}}

• just_t
    17 years ago

Just a quick pop in to tell Honey "hope you have a wonderful trip!".

Martie, your car was frozen in the puddle? Can't imagine temps and conditions such as that.....doesn't happen here ever.

Babs, beautiful card! All the cards were lovely!

I'm enjoying that first cup of coffee.........wonderful!!! :oD

T.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Well I'm going to be very blunt...this weather just freakin' sucks-it blows! lol There, now I feel much better. I never, ever ever wish time away but I can't wait for this week to be over because by Saturday the temps are finally going to be somewhat normal (low 40s F here now). Mentally winter is over for me at the end of February. I sucked up the February that was like January but a March like January I don't need. It was 4 F when I left the house yesterday and 9 F when I left this morning. Honey, do you have any room in that bag?

Yesterday I heard from Zoe's vet neurologist. Her spinal fluid did contain some inflammatory cells, too many to consider it normal but not enough to signal anything serious. He wants my vet to do a liver function test and if that's negative then we'll start her on the steroids. Apparently this could be something as simple as Lyme disease. Some dogs who have it show normal blood results. At any rate, weird behaviors aside Zoe seems happier and healthier than ever. She acts like a puppy most of the time-bounding around with enthusiasm. Until somebody tells me her condition is life threatening I certainly can't get too upset about the way things are now.

Yes, Chelone, I'm a plant collector-guilty as charged. In the past couple of years though I've become more discriminating as my available space dwindles and lots of new introductions turn out to be duds. When it comes to trees though, I live everyday with the mistakes made by others-not only in my yard but from neighbors who have trees so tall and overgrown that they create deep shade for me. Any tree I plant needs to be size appropriate and have as many seasons of interest as possible to earn it's keep.

OK, time to do some real work.

Sue

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Hi-yah Hon: )ey...not sure of when you are leaving for Florida but I hope you get to see this. Here are some big hugs((((Honey))))) for all that you've been through with loss-you've had so much to deal with this year and last. Included are bday hugs. You really need a vacation that's for sure. What do you MEAN you can't post any more pics after seeing your cards-you take wonderful pics and you have such beautiful gardens to show us! I'm looking forward to seeing your new entryway as it evolves this season! Have a safe fun trip: ) Bring me back a tan please.
    I think that's so neat that you are still in touch with such a lifelong friend!

The funny thing is that after my 'talking to' with SIL now my MIL is my biggest fan-THAT'S pretty funny.

Mary-see? Didn't I tell you you're too advanced for teacher #1? After hearing you play I just knew it. You just might motivate me to play my clarinet more-it really would be fun to play in a group-though I know the schedule won't allow for that right now.

Deannne-it's not the 'speck' of dust that's the problem here-it's the 'coating' of dust that I never want my mom to see lol.

Martie you literally got stuck in a puddle?lolol

Marie! That knitwork is beautiful and so even-it's perfect!!Is that going to be a sweater?

Ryan has his first part in a class mass at school today-he gets to say a prayer of petition...he's is so proud.He chose to wear an oxford shirt,a knit vest, and corduroy pants. This is a kid who normally wants to wear tee shirts and jeans: )

Chelone-me too;that's how I know when I'm really sick-if coffee doesn't taste good or even the thought of it. You need soup broth or tea. I'm glad you are staying home-sleep is what you need!

Wendy which geranium is that one? That's very pretty! I just can't wait until it's *all* green and blooming...I need spring!

Time to get ready for work
    ~Babs

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Last night's entertainment consisted of various odd activities to keep the house warm without propane. DH turned on ALL the lights, the stove, etc. Pretty silly me thinks, but that's what he did. He phoned the company at noon, at 5pm at 8pm and still nothing. BUT, at 8:05 we found the propane truck stuck in our laneway, waiting for a tow truck to heave it out. I swear these drivers have IQs below 80. Only the propane guys attempt our drive backwards, over the bridge no less. UPS trucks, cement mixers, wood and stone deliveries, tree surgeons etc...never attempt it backwards. Go figure. Anyway, around 10PM the guy makes it to the house and needs instructions on how to locate the tank. Of course doing this at night in total darkness is foolish, but that's what they chose. Now why they waited so long to come we don't know. This is the 3rd time in a row that they have allowed the tank to empty before coming.

On the good news front, DD and her DH have finally got their mortgage situation under control and we get to sign papers at the bank tomorrow. Good thing she's been keeping track of things because the first fellow to offer them a mortgage really was a slippery soul, offering them one thing at first, but raising the rate at the end.

Lots of stressful stuff going on at DH's work and we are both excited about our trip to Edmonton in a few weeks, even if the weather is horrid there. AWAY anywhere sounds good right now. In early April DH goes to Vienna too, so perhaps I'll be free to finish painting things here during his absence.

Friend Lynn is ultra busy with the garden show here called Canada Blooms. She has several entries and is in charge of things too. Whatever she touches is sensational, though right now she will be frantic and I don't even try to call her!

Such beautiful cards! I don't know if I should smile or cry over them. Still bitter cold here, but the sun makes a huge difference.

Glad to hear the news on Zoe and that you are keeping tabs on things Sue. Here, Minou goes for her check-up this weekend.

TWO MORE WEEKS TO SPRING!
    {{gwi:152931}}

'bug

• chelone
    17 years ago

I'm cutting a pretty dapper figure here in my red velour pull-on pants (from the thrift shop), sweatshirt, woold sockd and red Acorn slippers... NOT. I did take a shower, so the "bed head" is long since tamed, but the rheumy eyes that bespeak pestilence are still there, lol. The cats don't care though, the opposing thumbs are still functioning. And I'm paying attention to who's out and for how long.

The wood stove is working at maximum efficiency (catalytic combustor) and it sure feels good. Whenever the mercury takes a dive I'm reminded that many people don't have cozy houses. I brought up some wood not too long ago and was again mindful that there's plenty of that, too.

Babs., it good that you've earned some points with MIL. It is difficult being a DIL, sometimes. My late FIL was terribly suspicious of me (having a failed marriage under his belt and having watched another son fail at it, too). I was always invited to "family" things, but when it was time to talk "business" I was excluded from the "brandy and cigars" behind the closed door. I knew I wasn't trusted and it hurt. I maintained a carefully modulated distance for my own sanity. One day, I saw FIL walking over to the house, I waved, and kept staining the trellises on the sawhorses (really wishing I could just vanish). We exchanged some pleasantries and out of the blue, I asked him about the difficulty with his warring STEP children. An embarrased silence followed, then a shrug, and a conciliatory response that couln't be construed as insulting to anyone; very typical of his gracious nature. "Well, doesn't matter, really... either way, it's insulting to M..". When I looked up he was looking right into my eyes, and he said, "yes, it IS.". From that day on things were different between us. He knew I was OK and we both had his son's best interests at heart. I'm happy for you, I know she can be a difficult woman. And I know times are hard for all of you now.

Mum and I were never particularly "close" after I was about 13-14 years old. Although I never doubted her love for me, she was often tight-lipped in her disapproval of the way I chose to live my life, certainly fear and worry were part of it, too. Being around her for any length of time was a trial for me. It was difficult to benignly "keep it light" when things said were meant to "jab". I "blew it off", but it did hurt. And there were many times before her stroke when I could have cheerfully throttled her. That's why I shared the bit about how she responded to DB and the helpmeet's requests, Babs.. Your SIL may have the same sort of relationship with her mother I have with Mum; an uneasy coexistence. Maybe that's one reason she won't/can't bring herself to do more for her? Not that that's really OK, at all (esp. from your perspective!), but it may be something to consider when you watch her actions/interactions. I agree, when the s--t hits the fan and it's time to take care of business, you have to put that garbage aside and do what's required. But I'm of a very practical nature and will do what must be done to take care of business. Not everyone is cut from that cloth. I can only imagine your frustration watching this unfold, what does DH have to say about it to you and his DS?

Sue, I so completely understand what you're facing in your garden! We have 3 acres and thus a good deal of "control" about what trees we may remove, but still, you have to consider the passive air-conditioning they represent, as well as the neighborhood "shock". If we proceed with the garage project, I desperately want to address a shrub border along the road in front of our home. It will be neither "easy" nor inexpensive, and it may just be the thing that will have to be cut from the budget. :( . It's the reason "they" tell you to add 15% to the finished price of the house for landscaping! Choke.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Another webinar today. Actually a good way of having training or meetings without leaving the comfort of your office.

I finally got the kitchen back in decent order. Im having a planning meeting at my house tonight and we need the table. We are planning a wedding style show luncheon with the profits to go to the school that DH is on the board. Any ideas would be welcome. The fabric for the curtains has been backordered and the countertops wont be installed until sometime in April, but we are getting there.

T, how far from town do you live? We are 12 miles from a decent sized town. 5 from a couple of very dinky one.

bug, here its our responsibility to order propane and if you run out and need it brought out immediately, they will do that for an extra fee.

Sue, the news about Zoe sounds encouraging. Come on now, you dont have it so bad, how would you like our "mountains" of snow? LOL

Babs, your card for Honey looks like 3D to me very cool.

Chelone, hopefully you can shake the cold quickly.

Martie, how did you get your car unstuck?

Eden, enjoy your time with your mom. I dont need to clean for mine since she is pretty laid back about that herself. She grew up in a family of 8 kids, but my grandma was such a cleanie that they scrubbed all the floors daily I think she realized that life was too short for such foolishness ;o)

Lauren, dont worry about keeping up. Just post what you can, when you can. We understand.

Enjoy your day

Michelle

• martieinct
    17 years ago

From work so quick ....

Yes, I got stuck in the puddle. 3" deep by 36" or so round of water does, indeed, freeze in 20 minutes in 4deg temps with -30deg windchills. I didn't realize it until I tried to move. My car is front wheel drive and the front passenger wheel was the one stuck, so I kind of veered forward and of course the passenger wheel wouldn't go anywhere because it was encased in ice. It loosened, but didn't move.

Regulars to the rescue. They got an old piece of plywood and kind of wedged it between the tire and ice and that got me enough momentum to get out.

It's embarrassing, but I guess something that happens occasionally in the northwestern woods of Massachusetts.

And, so I wouldn't be considered a total idiot in town forever, I bought everyone who helped a cuppa and when I left we were all best friends.

Sometimes I wish I Could make up my life :-)

Martie

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I suppose Sue and Chelone already took this test and were scared off, but I thought Eden, T, Michelle and others might get a chuckle out of it.

HOW TO KNOW WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE READY TO HAVE CHILDREN

THE MESS TEST
    Smear peanut butter on the sofa and curtains. Place a fish stick
    behind the couch and leave it there all summer.

TOY TEST
    Obtain a 55-gallon box of LEGOs (or you may substitute roofing
    tacks). Have a friend spread them all over the house. Put on a
    blindfold. Try to walk to the bathroom or kitchen. Do not scream
    because this would wake a child at night.

GROCERY STORE TEST
    Borrow one or two small animals (goats are best) and take them
    with you as you shop. Always keep them in sight and pay for
    anything they eat or damage.

DRESSING TEST
    Obtain one large, unhappy, live octopus. Stuff into a small net
    bag making sure that all the arms stay inside.

FEEDING TEST
    Obtain a large plastic milk jug. Fill halfway with water. Suspend
    from the ceiling with a cord. St! art the jug swinging. Try to
    insert spoonfuls of soggy cereal into the mouth of the jug, while
    pretending to be an airplane. Now dump the contents of the jug on
    the floor.

NIGHT TEST
    Prepare by obtaining a small cloth bag and fill it with 8-12
    pounds of sand. Soak it thoroughly in water. At 3:00 p.m. begin
    to waltz and hum with the bag until 9:00 p.m. Lay down your bag
    and set your alarm for 10:00 p.m. Get up, pick up your bag, and
    sing every song you have ever heard. Make up about a dozen more
    and sing these too until 4:00 a. m. Set alarm for 5:00 a.m. Get
    up and make breakfast. Keep this up for 5 years. Look cheerful.

INGENUITY TEST
    Take an egg carton. Using a pair of scissors and pot of paint,
    turn it into an alligator. Now take a toilet paper tube and turn
    it into an attractive Christmas candle. Use only scotch tape and
    a piece of foil. Last, take a milk carton, a Ping-Pong ball, and
    an empty box of Cocoa Puffs. Make an! exact replica of the Eiffel
    Tower.

AUTOMOBILE TEST
    Forget the BMW and buy a station wagon. Buy a chocolate ice cream
    cone and put it in the glove compartment. Leave it there. Get a
    dime. Stick it into the cassette player. Take a family size
    package of chocolate chip cookies. Mash them into the back seat.
    Run a garden rake along both sides of the car. There, perfect.

PHYSICAL TEST (Women)
    Obtain a large bean bag chair and attach it to the front of your
    clothes. Leave it there for 9 months. Now remove 10 of the beans.

PHYSICAL TEST (Men)
    Go to the nearest drug store. Set your wallet on the counter. Ask
    the clerk to help himself. Now proceed to the nearest food store.
    Go to the head office and arrange for your paycheck to be
    directly deposited to the store. Purchase a newspaper. Go home
    and read it quietly for the last time.

FINAL ASSIGNMENT
    Find a couple who already have a small child. Lecture them on how
    they can improve their discipline, patience, tolerance, toilet
    training and child's table manners. Suggest many ways they can
    improve. Emphasize to them that they should never allow their
    children to run wild. Enjoy this experience. It will be the last
    time you will have all the answers.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

First of all. Happy Birthday Honey. I hope your time spent with your friend in FL will be a healing time for you as well. You sure have had a lot on your plate.

I started a post several days ago but found it boring to me so didn't want to subject you guys to it. So many of you have posted things that needed heartfelt comments. And I did feel them, just couldn't put it into words.

I think I need a spring tonic. I have been way to draggy. Not sleeping well and paying for it all day.

For those asking about Wyatts recovery. He is having a rough time of it. I feel bad as I kept assuring him it was no big deal. (mine wasn't).
    Today was grandparents day at his daycare and he just looked plain miserable. The teacher was taking special care with him and I was grateful. I'm hoping the pain will subside soon.

My SIL is helping me with some prep work on the master bedroom and bath. Cracks and nailhead issues. And she has experience in that field.
    Then I get to paint some more. I am not thrilled, but it needs to be done and I want it out of the way before spring.
    We have had a couple of nice days but it is still to chilly and muddy to get out there. I have crocus blooming but no daffs yet.

Thinking of you all ,but will probably just lurk for awhile til I'm feeling a bit more up.. Take care Norma

• Jerri_OKC
    Original Author
    17 years ago

GB, I remember that test well! My fur-babies do just fine thanks. ;)
    We have a vendor in at work for 2 weeks. I haven't had time to breath, much less read. Just wanted to say 'hi'.
    (sigh)

Jerri

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Marie, if you want to guarantee my face on the evening news, put children in my care...film at 11...LOLOL!

• deanneart
    17 years ago

So add me to the list of people who lost a long post recently. I wrote and spoke to everyone, making the deadly mistake of writing it in the message box instead of in Word. Well just as I was about to click the preview button Rahjii the Brat Cat jumped on the arm of my chair, bounced my mouse onto the floor where it closed GW and all was lost. Grrrr. Kitty has me trained well and has learned that if he wants me to get up and do something for him like feed him or open the door all he has to do is knock my mouse on the floor and Ill get up. He is very good at training humans, just ask V. LOL

Bug, LOL, Love the test.

Norma, so sorry Wyatt is still under the weather. Hope he is better soon.

Martie, LOL getting frozen into a puddle. I know, not funny but funny

Michelle, where are you going to have this show? How many people do you expect to attend? Is it like a real wedding luncheon or a wedding then youll have a luncheon? Sounds interesting.

Chelone, no coffee???? Horrors! I get wicked headaches if go without my coffee now. I surely hope you are feeling better soon. Both Doug and I are fighting off colds at present so Im hoping we escape the virus, whatever it is.

Monique and Les. How are you doing? Hope you are both feeling better too. I could sure use a piece of that cake right about now.

Very stressful day. Luke had to go to the vet for another dental and the vet called and said that they had to extract one of his lower canine teeth. There is a possibility with that procedure that it will break their lower jaw. I was flipping out when I heard that but the tooth had to come out. Anyway, kitty is OK but poor Lukie is all swollen and his tongue is sticking out. And of course all of this cost a heart-stopping amount of money. Good thing Ive started plant production in the basement.

Sue, sounds like good news about Zoe. You must be relieved.

OK I dont remember who I answered this morning that got lost and who I didnt so Im going to say hello to everyone! Have a great evening and BTW, Im writing this in Word.

Later
    Deanne

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

I didn't write a long post and it wasn't blown away.

Risk averse as I am, I'll just say 'hi' and *s*n*o*w all day, and call this little greeting complete.

Ciao, Cynthia

• just_t
    17 years ago

Just checking in and living on the edge (yep, writing my post in the message box).

Maybe the cyber gremlins can discern a 'great' post from a 'mundane' one and thus only gobbles the great? Mine never get gobbled......hmmm.

;o)

The twins slept most of the time that I was watching them. I did some balancing of the checkbook while keeping an ear and eye glancing often at them. They have the battery operated swings at their house, so the babies were swinging and snoozing. Yes, I truly did consider purchasing swings today but decided a couple hundred dollars was just far more than I could spend.......so then I thought 'one' swing would keep one baby occupied........

LOL

Nope, didn't buy any!

DH is home.......gotta go!

T.

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

I was going to write a long post, but I've got to run to Deanne's and let Luke out.

I thought the IU3 participants would enjoy seeing today's big news in town. But of course, you already knew this!

V.

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

I'm going to try posting tonight without losing the entire post. That would be nice for a change!

I took some pictures of Mystique but haven't loaded them to the computer downstairs yet. I like using DH's laptop here at the kitchen table at night because it's WARMER up here than in the basement. I am so ready for warm weather.

Honey, I tried to post a Happy Birthday to you yesterday but GW kicked me out. Hope it was a Happy Day! All the flower pictures are wonderful, and the kitten just cracks me up! What a cutie. I hope Bullitt is doing better. I find it so hard to see my beloved pets age.

Bug, your weather looks awful. We've not had that much snow in a few years, and I don't really miss it at all. I like the change of seasons, but snow on Christmas Eve/Day is enough for me. Then it can be spring again. Hope you are staying warm and safe. That Fire and Ice Hosta is a stunner. I'll have to watch for that one! And your knitting is so perfect! I'd knit if I could do it that well. I'll stick to my needlework for now, I think.

Kathy, I hope your teeth are better. I have that same obelisk in my yard (well it's sitting on my deck because I haven't decided where to plant it yet). My Dad built one for my Mom and I both a couple of years back. She has 4, yes 4 Clematis planted on it. They are still babies. When they mature, she's going to regret that, I think.

I abhor daylight savings time. Indiana went for too many years without it, and also having lived in Arizona, I can't see the sense of it. It takes my body MONTHS literally to adjust to the change in time. All the reasons given here to finally get it passed through the legislature were so bogus it was pathetic. Hopefully at some point the state will come to its senses and repeal the measure.

Sue, I hope this turns out to be something treatable for Zoe. I'm glad she's acting like a pup, that's a good sign. I love to see pets acting happy and healthy. What I really love is seeing Mystique with Cinders in a tummy-tuck - it's so adorable.

The test is hilarious. I'm so glad mine are more or less grown. But that brings its own issues. DS1 stepped on his less than a year old cell phone (I'm probably repeating here) last weekend and broke it in half. He's borrowing mine (which I can't stand, not that I use it alot but I want it available). Finally he ordered a new phone last night for himself. I think he was hoping dear ol' dad would kick in for a new phone - NOT. Especially since the one he stepped on was a replacement for the year old phone he lost at college last April. He's nearly 21, time for him to take care of this sort of thing on his own. But he doesn't like it much, LOL.

Norma, I hope Wyatt feels better soon. I hope you "spring" back, too.

Martie, LOL on the puddle. My husband got his hand emergency brake frozen once. He hadn't lived in this area for long with that type of system, but I had and knew it would happen to him. But he didn't listen to me!

Deanne, I hope your Luke feels better soon.

Here's a picture of Mystique when we first got her at 4 months old. She is playing with her favorite toy. She carries this all over the house, and even plays fetch with it.
    {{gwi:152932}}

suzy

• martieinct
    17 years ago

One good thing about this weather is that it will give Sue a few extra weeks to decide on a tree. Highs of 24 today with 20-30mph winds. Hunker down day, again.

Michelle: My secret career desire is to be a wedding planner. Dealing with nervous brides wouldn't be the fun part, but spending their money on finery sure would be :-) One idea I really like and used at my DSD's wedding was instead of having one centerpiece on the table, bunching 4 or so single stem 6" vases with short-cut like flowers in each in the center of the table. The vases become the favors for women to take home. In her case her colors were deep blue and yellow, so the vases were dark blue glass with yellow roses and light blue delphinium. I think each cost about $6 and that was still less expensive than a centerpiece AND keepsake.

Love the kid's test. I might add having sensory perception when grocery shopping to know without being told when many extra friends will be at dinner.

Short work day today. Sunday I'm hosting the Civic Center box for a Hartford vs. Springfield minor league hockey game. Gotta consider my job diverse -- Trans Siberian Orchestra, a 400 kid party, and hockey with car dealership owners within three months. Flexibility!!

The New Garden Encyclopedia Fact of the Day, page 369 and indication of why it's hard to identify plants without pics even in the 40's: "Daisy. Now a common name for many Composite flowers, this originally meant the low, cheerful Bellis perennis, the "daisy" of poetry and literature but in American known as "English Daisy.: In this country "Daisy" alone more often relfers to Chrysanthemum leucanthemum, a European perennial that is now one of our most widespred pestiferous weeds on waste or mismanaged land; this same plant is also called Ox-eye Daisy and Whiteweed, though the former term more correctly belongs to Rudbeckia hirta, also known as Yellow Daisy and sometimes as Black-eyed-Susan."

See what I mean??? LOL

Have a great day, everyone.

Martie

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

A pretty good start to the day here with fat snowflakes but sun in the background. High of 23F today but we expect a period of above 32F after that. YES!

I had to laugh at my friend working on the garden show. Here's what she wrote:
    It is the usual seething hotbed of frustrated competitors, acres of smiling garden clubbers hiding their
    I-could-kill-you-for-winning feelings bottled up inside. Oh joy Oh bliss.
    I'm sure she'll be happy when it is over.

It is fun to hear from DD about her drive to drop off DGS each day at school. This week she's been introducing him to the joys of multiplication- what it means and how to do it. So he can now do the 10 X thing and started the 11 X too. He is learning about "thousands", so figured out what 10 X 270 was yesterday and was quite proud of himself. Other days they sing songs, some classical some not. He identifies instruments in Peter and the Wolf and loves to sing Johnny Cash and Joan Baez too. He's just so excited about the move to the new house, but his mother isn't and presents many roadblocks and threatens custody changes. Life is always a pins and needles affair there, but DGS takes it all in stride. He's such an amazing kid!

Yesterday DH came home with surge protectors, new telephones and a new Visa card. All those nuisance things are finally things of the past! :-)

Tomorrow we are off to the nearby Brew House for French Club. I guess the beer will help the French flow freely?
    Off to deal with breakfast now.

Happy today everyone!
    'bug

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all,

Yes this is in Word again. Even though the post erasing cat is outside at the moment I dont trust the gremlins of the perverse not to erase another one.

So, interesting factoid, I went to the White F. F. site this morning to order Billy Greene fuchsias to replace the ones I killed over the winter and what varieties do you think they are carrying new this year that they didnt have last year???? Now keep in mind that there are literally thousands of varieties of fuchsias, they are now carrying Lena and yes, drum roll here, Beacon Rosa. Two of my three favorites that Ive posted a zillion photographs of here over the last couple years. They also have Shadow Dancer Betty which I also posted pics of here last summer. What do you think are the chances that a greenhouse that only carries seven varieties of fuchsia would have those three varieties new this season? Another of the new ones is Marenka. Im wondering whos lurking here looking at our photographs?

So Luke is even more swollen this morning and really under the weather but hes still looking for food so Im not worried. Just feel sorry for him. I know how lousy Id feel if someone yanked a canine tooth out of my lower jaw yesterday. V. so sorry for your wasted trip yesterday, I forgot to tell you that Luke cant go outside for a couple days. LOL

Suzy, Mystique is a cutie pie! Love black kitties.

Martie, stay warm. Interesting daisy info. ~~~ Youd be terrific as a wedding planner.

OK Ive got to get to the gym before this day gets any older.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

By the way, I still love talk of wedding planners. My friend Lynn sure does a terrific job with the flower aspect alone. These days she's planning her daughter's wedding, so it will be more than flowers!
    From last summer:
    {{gwi:152933}}

And my favorite of the headpiece and bouquet...love the expressions!
    {{gwi:152934}}

So I hope Ei and Martie and anyone else can keep that theme going!

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

I feel the need to live on the edge - must be this stinking weather - so am posting directly - hmmmm...

Sue - I for one love to hear your musings about which next purchase of tree you are contemplating -- I can enjoy it vicariously if nothing else - I love to "hear" your musings.... Glad to hear Zoe is feeling chipper and maybe you'll keep meds/treatment to a minimum; I imagine you will all enjoy that more (pursewise and health wise!).

As Cynthia said - we got more dreaded 4-ltr stuff -- I dont care if it's only an inch, whine, whine -- I too am sick, sick of winter and feel cheated - I guess we're paying for that January warm-up now (it also definitely made for some winter-kill on some of my shrubs; hope other things were torpedoed too). I didnt even bother to try to shovel when I got home - the stuff is just gonna have to MELT on its own!

'bug - I like that Children Test - very humorous and o so true - if only we'd known.... Exes do tend to make trouble; all too rare is the one who does not - esp. if they're not mentally well-balanced. I suspect they will all just have to get used to this as behavior that will be prevalent for a long time; so dont angst over a lot of the "threats" etc -- sometimes it's best to ignore all that stuff & only deal emotionally with the big issues -- would she really have enuf $$ to go after changing child custody, etc.,? I hope not.

Well, the good news is Im looking at the local "Home" section of the paper before work here and I see a big full page ad from a local garden center -- obviously they think Spring will come too -- so I may have to go check 'em all out; still looking for some fiberglass pots.

Deanne -- that's really interesting about the fuschias -- I wouldnt be surprised re someone checking out the fantastic photos & containers you and others put together -- they say imitation is the best form of flattery, right?

It feels like it should be Friday - is that because Im working a full 5 day week or Im just dragging? Guess the new DLS starting will make that feeling worse next week -- I take a while to get used to it too.

--Cindy

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Good Morning, I didn't sleep well last night. I woke up when Brad got home about 1 and couldn't get back to sleep until 5am. To top it off we were out of coffee this morning. Brad's at the grocery now. Not a good start to the day. My mom and dad were over all day yesterday playing with Bella and we all had such a good time. Count me in as another who's sick of old man winter and looking forward to a warm up that's supposed to begin later today. Melt snow, melt! Megan went back to work this week on a limited schedule, a couple of full days and a couple of half days and is doing ok so far. Bella seems to be completely over whatever she had too. Some vacuuming and laundry for me today and a trip to the grocery store for supplies for tomorrow evening. My mom and dad will be coming over for dinner. We have a birthday party for my mom at my sister's Saturday, cake baked by me, and then they'll be going home on Sunday.

Deanne, I've lost all of the fuchsias I let go dormant. I'm just not good at plant resurrection, lol. I do have a nice healthy gartenmeister, but that's it. I'm thinking fuchsias just aren't my forte. I'm more of a coleus and begonia girl I guess.

Poor, poor Luke!

Suzy, I'm partial to black kitties. Yours is a cutey!

Weddings...I'm thinking there might be one in my future. Things seem to be heading in that direction with Jenni and boyfriend. There's been mention of some future plans being made so we'll see. He's a really great guy and the whole family just loves him. Time will tell!

Marie, thanks for the Children Test. So true! LOL! I always had the best talks with my kids on car rides back and forth to school or lessons. David used to love to read to me when we were driving too. Those are good memories.

Norma, I'm so sorry to hear that Wyatt's having such a rough time. I hope he turns a corner soon and is feeling back to himself. None of my kids had tonsils out but my sisters and I all did and I had a rough time of it with an emergency trip back to the hospital and a blood transfusion. I still remember it and I was only 7.

Hope Chelone is feeling better today!

Time for Bella's arrival and I hear Brad back with coffee. Have a good Thursday. It'll be spring before we know it, right?

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Heat wave...14 F when I left the house this morning. My boss picked a great week to go to Scottsdale. We probably should have joined our friends in South Lake Tahoe this week-it's probably warmer. Anyway, don't get me started. One of my co-workers in another building (but who calls me at least 10 times a day) just told me I sound very down lately. No vacation since Marie's last September is starting to wear thin I guess.

It's now over an hour later than when I started this post..lately I seem to be a very popular person-at least at work...lol.

Sue

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Hi Norma! wow this does seem long for Wyatt's recovery-Is it maybe because he had more than just his tonsils removed? I also imagined it would not take this long to get back to snuff. That is a terrible feeling to tell your kid(or GK) what they are experiencing is no big deal and then you realize they are definitely NOT ok...like the times I've told one of my kids to quit being so crabby and later I realize they are having a fever then I feel terrible-lol. I hope he's OK soon.

Deanne-I wouldn't doubt that nurseries look in places like this to get feedback from the gardening public! Did you find a new 'Billy Greene'?

Hmmm then maybe the newspaper article I read last week about agaves was influenced by the idylls too? lol I really did think for a moment how ironic that was. And what about the coleus craze??

I am SOO tired today that the thought of losing an hour this weekend is not a fun thought!That trend of waking with the sunlight went away and now I get startled out of bed by the alarm.
    I don't know what category this would be under for 'Bug's test but Mon. morning I was so tired from the weekend that when I packed lunches I accidentally put AJ's sandwich in Ryan lunchbox-Ryan had TWO sandwiches and AJ had none!lol. Ryan was wondering why he had two sandwiches but went ahead and ate BOTH: )

V-That's neat to see your town getting historical distinction(I already thought it would be on that list)-it really is a cute square-cool to be able to say I've BEEN there: )and they have a Starbucks,go figure lol.

Must find something to wear,etc.

~babs

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

As I look out my window, next to my computer, I see 6 elk grazing as they work their way up to the house. I wonder if they plan it so that they graze to the flower beds and then are prepared/ready for the dessert menu (roses or whatever else might be blooming)? Right now there is just the tender shoots from the daffodils, tulips and iris'. I don't think those are true elk/deer candy, but might find out in about 30 minutes. ;o)

Today I'm planning on stopping by the kids' resale shops to see if there might be a swing at one of them. Those swings seem to be life savers (mood savers?) right now and there are some times with the boys, when they are both fussy, that I could hold & rock one while the other could sit facing me in the swing. Right now, if they are both fussy, I lay them on a blanket and then lay between them, looking them in the eye and stroking their faces. I try to get the 3 of us close enough that I can tuck my face down into the blanket and they then have a cheek against my cheeks. It does take a bit of arranging and it isn't at all comfortable for me, plus I have to pretzle my arms so that I can stroke the head of the baby on the left with my right hand and the baby on the right with my left hand. I tried laying on my back, with all of us staring at the ceiling, but that doesn't allow my cheeks to touch theirs (shoulders in the way). Hmmmm, never thought of having their feet going one direction and mine going the other direction......then the tops of their heads would be touching my shoulders and we could still be touching cheeks. Just like holding a baby against your cheek/neck, it seems to help soothe them when they get really cranky and I'm alone. Watching two by myself can get frantic at times with plenty of unhappiness and upset----and then when the boys feel the same as I do (frantic, unhappy and upset) things really get interesting. LOL!!! ;o)

There are now 11 elk up nearer the house. Right now they are below the new flower bed (area of the flagpole) but they don't appear to be heading closer to the house. Last night they were bedded down up behind the house. They are such beautiful animals and I feel pretty blessed to have them hanging around so much.....remind me I said that when I grouse about all the footprints in the flower beds in the upcoming months.....

Lots of errands to do today....Oh, and the new battery didn't seem to take care of my car's desire not to start easily. Me thinks there is another auto repair bill in my future when I take the car back for a tune up.

Hope it is a great day for everyone! (Oh Michelle, you asked how far we are from town-----it is about a 20 - 25 minute drive to the nearest grocery store).

Norma, you sound 'down' and I hope you'll get some sunny days that will allow you some time outside along with lifting your spirits! Poor Wyatt!!

'bug, love the red cables that you are knitting!

T.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

The news this morning was higher than normal temps and lower than normal precipitation. Sounds good to me.

We decided to call our event a Spring Tea & Bridal Review. It will be a salad luncheon and bridal style show. We will be using candle centerpieces and some other things from DDs wedding to keep the costs down. Number of people, thats a good question. We are thinking in the area of 100, but you never know. So we will need to be prepared for more. The school is a small one and the community is small as well.

T, they wont eat those shoots, around here, they wait until the are the bud stage, almost ready to open and then they eat the buds :o) Sorry! I wonder if Liquid Fence would work for elk? I have a fun mental picture of you trying to get everyone "arranged" on the floor. Stroking Kenzies forehead down to the tip of her nose worked to put her to sleep.

Norma, sorry to hear that Wyatt hasnt bounced back from the surgery. What does the Dr. say about it? My DS had his tonsils and adenoids out when he was 6 and recovered very quickly. Hugs to you too, I hope your funk is short lived.

I remember getting my tonsils out at age 5 and they made me sleep in a crib, as a big 5 year old, I was mortified.

Deanne, some gal on the kitchen forum found out a picture she posted of her kitchen was on some companies website. So I think the companies definitely are looking to us for thoughts and ideas. Poor Luke, I hope he is feeling better today.

Martie, with your people skills, you would be very successful as a wedding planner. Have you seen the movie?

V, we really enjoyed Woodstock and the quaintness of it, so the designation doesnt surprise me.

Michelle

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Dear Ones --

It's ironic that Michelle would mention people skills right before I needed to write this.

As a child I had crosses burned on my front yard, as a teenager I had machine guns pointed in my direction by Haitian dictatorship militia, as a college student I was teargassed, as an adult I found myself in a psychologically abusive relationship that got so bad that I was color blind for almost a year.

At least in all those instances, I came to understand that contorted logic prevails in some people's lives sometimes. There was meaning behind the actions that I felt needed to be righted, and I did my best to do so in a peaceful and loving way. I've tried to do that in every uncomfortable situation I've ever been in.

In this case, I just don't get it at all.

The fallout from the recent upset on this Forum hasn't ended. I don't know about anyone else, but the rash of emails accusing me of everything from really being 'bug (can you believe it???) to downright very specific threats has me scared. I wish I hadn't posted where I'll be on Sunday, and Rich is now sure to accompany me.

It's all so sad, but a necessary thing to withdraw for a time. This is the second time my good nature has been attacked by people I don't know, but know enough about me to make it prudent to say farewell for a bit.

I promise, promise, promise that I'll post pics of the Third Year garden. You have all had so much to do with it that it would be unfair for you not to see the beginning of the end result.

There is a special love for EVERYONE on this forum in my heart.

Best to all -

Martie

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Martie, we are one and the same? Poor you! I'm confused. Email me if you feel the need. Others you know have my email address. I'm so sorry for this and will miss your input.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

I just popped in for a quick look and see Martie's extremely disturbing email. If there are personally malicious emails being sent - I truly think it should be reported to the GW websites - rather than withdrawing and letting these neurotic freaks win. Just my personal thought.

While we may each disagree about posts or subjects or how things (or people) are "treated" here, I do not think it warrants or justifies ANYONE sending personal attacks to be sent privately to people - that is outrageous, unforgivable and frankly I think something should be done about it. I am truly saddened to think that "lurkers" express themselves privately in such a manner and are allowed to do that! People who receive such emails should report those threatening emails to GW caretakers at the very least. PLEASE! Freedom of speech is one thing - threats and private "communications" are totally different and need to be dealt with rather than permitted to go on.

--Cindy

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good grief will someone turn off the artic blast machine???? Its 16 degrees out right now at 3:30PM with winds gusting to 35+. Wind chills are off the charts and hitting new records. The cats are driving me nuts. Luke must be feeling better because hes been crying for the door for the last four hours. Rahjii is wailing away and it is just too dangerously cold for him to be outside but there is no way to explain that to a cat. So I cant get a thing done because this cat keeps sticking his nose in everything Im trying to do. Hes already knocked the mouse on the floor and I only just turned on the computer. Grrrr Have I mentioned that I hate the wind??? So the other thing is that it is supposed to go down to -1F tonight. I can see the holly and English Ivy dying a bit more each day these cold temps keep up. I shudder to think what is going to be toast in the gardens when spring rolls around. I know, I know V. consider it a new opportunity. Winter doesnt normally get me down but this hideous cold and windy weather is beginning to really bug me. Holy moly. The side of the dining room just got slammed by a 12 foot pine branch!!!!!!! Came flying through the air from one of the trees next door. Glad it didnt get my duck blind. Have I mentioned I really hate the wind.

So, Martie, I agree with Cindy 100% that kind of malicious, threatening and harassing email is unacceptable. Is there any way you can find out where that email came from? I think we need to find out who it is and do something about it. There is no excuse for anyone to get threatening emails from a gardening forum or on any forum for that matter. I know you want to take a break for a while and I dont blame you a bit but would you please forward that to me so I can get my computer gurus working on it and finding out who it is so it can be reported to the proper authorities. I know Eileen also got disturbing emails in the past and that kind of underhanded, vicious stuff makes my blood boil.

T. how neat about the Elk but what a bummer that the boys are so out of sorts lately. Ive heard that isnt uncommon with twins but dont know why. ~~ Hope you find out whats wrong with the car. That would have me unsettled, not to have a reliable automobile when you aren't close to town.

Babs, I LOL over the sandwiches. Too funny that Ryan ate both sandwiches. So what did AJ have for lunch? ~~ Sorry you are tired lately. Sounds like you are burning the candle at both ends. ~~ Yes, I did find Billy Greene again from WWF, thanks for asking. Next year I think Im going to keep them under the lights all winter so I dont lose them. It really is a wonderful variety.

Eden, what a bummer you lost your fuchsias! I cant imagine what happened. I wonder if your basement is too warm to let them get truly dormant. Well, I cant winter over Rex Begonias to save my life. I lost two of the three I had and the third is looking pretty awful so I guess we are even. How about I raise fuchsias for you and you do begonias for me??? LOL

So Sue, maybe when we TONAW next year we ought to do it on Key West????

Bug, that photo of your DD and DH is priceless!!!! I just love that. Flowers are lovely also. I forgot to tell you how much I like that red cable piece you are knitting now. Are you quite sure you dont want to knit something for me???? LOL

Cindy, LOL about the snow having to melt on its own. My grandmother used to say "God put it there let him take it away".

Yes, Im thinking that there must be people lurking here who glean this site for ideas. The chances are astronomical that a greenhouse would just happen to begin carrying those particular varieties out of the thousands that are available. I actually found one of my container combinations on the Proven Winners site last year. Could have been coincidence but who knows.

Ok time to run, Martie please forward those emails to me if you dont mind. Time to get to the bottom of this.

Later
    Deanne

• chelone
    17 years ago

Martie, forward that stuff to Deanne, will you? It doesn't take any guts to send a nastygram, anonymous I presume? Blow 'em off; people like that aren't worth your worry as they tend to lack the courage of their "convictions". BTW, I cracked up about the car stuck a puddle. I am not surprised, and buying coffee for your helpers was very thoughtful.

Poor Wyatt! it sucks when you don't feel good and little kids don't have any alternative but be crabby. I'm in my 4th. solid day of it, have missed the entire work week. My nose is the color of my red velour pull on pants and slippers. It's gone from a head cold to a chest cold (I sound like a donkey when I cough). I don't have bedsores yet, but a few more days of this and it just might be a possibility. I haven't been outdoors except to go to the mailbox or the woodpile. Poor Rex, I've promised him a nice "walkie" as soon as I'm feeling better.

I don't have much to say and can't remember all the things I wanted to share individually. Time to return to the couch and work on those pressure sores.

OH, I heard a ruckus on the deck this morning and saw 2 cats with HUGE, bottlebrush tails on high alert. I watched a dozen turkeys meander off into the woods... . Very windy here, too. And cold. Kitties go out for no more than half an hour and then come inside and head straight for the catbox, lol.

Give Luke a special "scritchie" for me... poor baby.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

It may not be from a lurker. I removed my email from GW when I returned to the Idylls in December to avoid exactly that sort of thing. Martie, please NO don't go away. You can forward the emails to your internet provider and they will either block the sender, report the sender to their ISP, or both. You should NOT have to be hurt by this childish meanness. Which has been going on too long as it is. I thought it was over.

• just_t
    17 years ago

Chelone......hope that nasty cold eases soon!

I was in town this morning and saw: ForCynthia blooming ;o), a tree that had cherry blossoms opening up, daffodils aplenty and two azaleas blooming. I was dumb-struck (no nasty comments on that choice of description of myself, if you please ;o) ). Way cool to see some color.

Now, I didn't tell you that to 'tease' those of you who are freezing or dealing with too much snow.......I just wanted you to know spring is showing up on the west and heading your way. :oD It's acomin' !!!

I stopped alongside the road and cut a couple more branches of pussywillows to add to those I cut almost 2 weeks ago. They are pretty much past their furry best and the yellow is beginning to cover them. I enjoy pussywillows, reminds me of elementary school and being captivated by the thought that something so furry and soft would grow on a tree. I have them in a vase on the dining room table. Simple pleasures.

I went outside and pulled a few weeds in my front bed. I really like how the mulch looks, still like the shape and size of the bed although it would have been nice to have made the area from the flagpole to the bird bath a bit wider. This is sufficent and quite nice though. I dug down about 8" and was poked by hard wood. The shredded wood chips (most the size of a paint brush handle or a bit larger) are not broken down. I didn't expect they would be, but had a tiny glimmer of hope that I would be wrong. I imagine I'll just try to get a few plants into the bed this year. Maybe try to decide on the main shrubs, trees that I'd like to have to be the larger focal interests and get them planted this spring. Leaving the majority to be added in spring 2008. Not really sure.....I'm not in a huge hurry to go out and buy lots and lots of plants just to decide later that it isn't the way I wanted it. Since things are beginning to bloom, it must be time to head to a nursery or two and begin 'shopping'. I have a little list of possiblities tucked away---I'd better locate it and see if I am 'sure'.

Poor Luke! Maybe he and Wyatt could get together and cuddle a bit to make them both feel better? Or does Luke even like kids? Does Wyatt like cats?

T.

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

Vicious threatening emails are inexcusable behaviour from anyone in my opinion. Can the emails be forwarded to someone at GW? I know if you get phishing (?) emails like from eBay or other places they have an address to forward them to, and eBay can track the senders down. ((((Martie))))

More later, have to fix something for dinner. Maybe leftovers.

suzy

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi Idylls!

I haven't been able to catch up, but did want to stop by and thank you all for the encouraging and kind words about my mother. I wouldn't want anyone to go through this (don't know *how* they get through this...I guess you just do..huh?)but it helps to know that many of you have gone through similar experiences and have made it through...it gives me courage. Chelone your words and advice were taken to heart and if I haven't told you in the past, you have been a real inspiration to me. I would often say to myself when I was feeling my most discouraged..."Look at Chelone...how strong she is and how she always takes the bulls by the horn...Eileen you can do this." Honestly Chelone, I don't know how many times I've said that to myself and I thought instead of talking to myself I should let *you* know! :-) And Babs thanks too! You have always been such a sweetheart and really helped me when I needed someone to talk to about Dad. (((Babs))) I'm so sorry about your dad. Was your dad hallucinating too? They haven't put a name on mom's dementia yet. I guess they are waiting for the results of all her tests. On the good side her blood tests came back as all within normal limits, although a part of me had wished they would have found something like a vitamin deficiency or something that could explain the problem and fix it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the other tests say. Anyway thanks again *everyone*.

I also wanted to tell Martie how sorry I was to read about the nasty emails. Cynthia, Deanne and Cindy are right...don't let anyone chase you away. Send the emails to the GW. Get them to stop them. It does have me wondering though too...do we *have* to have our email listed with the GW? I can't remember...it's been so long since I first joined. Can I ask the GW not to forward emails? Can I take me email address off the GW? If you can, it might be something to consider. As Deanne mentioned, I got a pretty nasty email last year...it was very upsetting and so I can understand how you feel Martie...you feel violated (intruded upon) and defenseless and *hurt*! In fact after reading mine I was so upset that I immediately deleted it...just an instinct to rid myself of its ugly presence. Now I wish I hadn't. If that ever happens to me again I will definitely report them. Of course, ever since then I no longer open any emails when I don't recognize the sender's name. I report them as spam and then delete them. In any case, I hope you won't let the nasty emailer take away something that gives you pleasure. Don't give them the power.

P.S. I woke up "anticipating joy" T! So I won't tell you how the day went...LOL! Just kidding! Actually, it was a pretty nice day and Scout and I took a nice long walk in the sunshine...it's funny how a little sunshine can change your whole outlook...

The Beatles - Good Day Sunshine

Good Day Sunshine, Good Day Sunshine, Good Day Sunshine

I need to laugh and when the sun is out
    I've got something I can laugh about
    I feel good in a special way
    I'm in love and it's a sunny day

We take a walk, the sun is shining down
    Burns my feet as they touch the ground

Then we'd lie beneath the shady tree
    I love her and she's loving me
    She feels good, she knows she's looking fine
    I'm so proud to know that she is mine.

Good Day Sunshine, Good Day Sunshine, Good Day Suns

Thinking of you all...Ei

• just_t
    17 years ago

Ah Ei, it is good to hear you singing again. ;o) Anticipating Joy.......a wonderful way to begin the day! Even if the day does hold more downs than ups....at least you awaken 'up'. ;o)

So........I cannot remember if I am post #100 or if this will make it #101....

T.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Martie, I'm confused...are you receiving e-mails from someone at GW about something you posted here on idylls? I notice you don't have a link to your personal e-mail on your GW member page. Did you disable it this afternoon? Has anyone else here received anything threatening? I've been posting at GW for almost 6 years and have never, ever received an unsavory e-mail from anyone about anything I've said or posted. If I did, the first thing I would do would be to contact the GW moderators. then I would post it here and encourage the coward to make themselves known. In the right mood I could actually have some fun with that. Hmmm, very strange.

Forcynthia! T, you're going to make me cry. I have ice floes on my patio.

Pedicure night tonight. I really enjoy kabitzing with the two women who own the nail salon where I pamper the tootsies. I also got my eyebrows waxed-forgot to ask about Cynthia's weaving process. Dashing home through the arctic cold in flip flops is an experience I'd rather not have to relive again. Hopefully it will be warmer on April 12th but the way this year is going I won't hold my breath.

The radiology doctor finally called me today about the insurance denial. Yup, someone at Anthem BC/BS who has never seen or examined me feels my fibroids aren't symptomatic enough to warrant treatment. Why should I have to suffer with any symptoms? It only gets worse and in the four or five months that this process has dragged on mine have. I guess the two GYNs and one radiologist I've consulted with don't know squat about fiboids...lol. There may be some disagreement about the choice of procedure but everyone agrees that I should do something and I made that choice. At any rate I have to go for another MRI next Tuesday night. Whatever...best not to get too worked up over this.

Speaking of people lurking here for garden ideas, Steve Silk wrote the lead article in this month's issue of the CT Hort Society newsletter. The title is "Pot Hunting Season". He did divulge a few of our sources but left out JoAnn Fabric and Homegoods. Perhaps I should e-mail him and thank him...lol.

Allrighty then, tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the week. Time to prepare.

Sue

• Jerri_OKC
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just skimmed this morning and I'm mad as can be.
    Marti, do not take this. Forward me, or anyone else you know that's a techie type, the email. The IP address of the sender is encoded in there. REPORT this to the SENDERS ISP and if it's a reputable company, their account will be closed! There is no excuse for this behavior and you should take action.

Jerri

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks