Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Idyll # 371 Aaah- CHOO! Sign of spring?

Tree pollen in the air this past week....

Comments (102)

• saucydog
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So DH was breaking into the hopefulness of Tuesday (but I did not let it do me in....had a great day) and I did not get to finish my comment on Kathy's wonderful display! Wow, wow, wow! I like to live vicariously through those who care for roses - and climbers are my favorites!

I rescinded my purchase of Southern bees and am instead going north for Maine bees....my neighbor is helping me make this purchase, so no buzz babes yet :)

Did I miss news of t's mother (little t)? I hope she is well. I often comment aloud and forget to type. This is not the best medium for me :)

Marian, I remember being annoyed when the neighbors put up the giant street lights. My husband said jokingly of TN the first time we were in the country, "please do not leave me here in the dark!" He likes it now, though.

I guess I have to explain that my pansies are in pots? I'm not sure what you all have imagined :) Nick and I are doing a front-of-the-house makeover starting this weekend. The porch will be painted, storm doors replaced, awnings removed (haven't decided whether I'll replace - I see no purpose in the one that is there). I should do before pictures.....

Denise, I think you're being modest about spring in your neck of the woods! Those shots are spectacular! I love the purple petals against the gray of the agave!

Michelle, I liked the story of Kenzie getting the wrought iron bed - I had one, too. I imediately thought of the quilt hanger that I'm not using when you said you were going to remodel because of the quilt....could you use it as a decoration?

GB - I'm crossing my fingers for a dry basement - those pictures always look ferocious!

Thank goodness Cindy can finally breathe deep! Congrats on your test results.

Guess what kept me awake for a while last night? PEEPERS! Spring is springing....

Have a good day all.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Peepers! How fun!

Water is down mostly today...so far. Once the temperature rises to above freezing things could get exciting once more.

Phoebe was resisting change this morning so I'm a grump. It looked so easy yesterday....

Rex, do well buddy!

Gotta deal with DH now...
    'bug

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

So, "modest signs of spring," Denise? Geez, I only wish I can offer 1/3 that modest in another few weeks -- gorgeous! and do I see some amethyst glass aroung an agave? Very cool - I thought they were flower petals & was pondering waht they would have been -- clematis? Gorgeous! And are those grasses behind the poppies?

I confess Im a poppy-wannabe -- I've tried lots of kinds and persist each year in buying another cultivar -- Im very excited that by the front walk each day Im passing what is now getting to be an adequate hunk of one that's called Raspberry Queen -- Im getting very excited this year with the idea of seeing a good "show" -- it's funny those little things in life that make you excited for each day isnt it? Just like, 'bug's photos of the snowdrops!

I think that's one thing I dreadfully fail in the combo world -- getting things to bloom together in the same area -- things are more often spread apart too far to show together and/or just a week or 2 behind one another... very frustrating!

Deanne -- sounds like you had some frustrations w/ that matting business -- you are too nice to "just say no" re the style mat & sucking up the cost of re-doing! What a gem. I hope you have great fun and get some sun while in FL this week! you deserve it -- please bring some warmth and sun back up the east coast.

Chelone -- I get you on the glum -- when you see messes that havent progressed and then those hated pets have such woes -- piffle. I think you're suffering from late winter-itis -- I find Im so tired of dreary looking days; Im positive it affects me when I see the messes!

Kathy -- I hope you get to enjoy your house in its superlative level of gorgeousness for a bit after all that hard work.

O.k., Saucy -- what happened to the idea of southern transplant bees? Did they tell you not good for the region or what? Inquiring minds wanna know.

This is definitely a late, chilly Spring -- we had a day of 70 again yesterday and now it's plunging back down -- to go into the 20s tomorrow nite I think I heard -- Im glad I didnt get too enthused w/ planting english daisies or other tenders - altho I dearly love them -- and remember that I had them last year w/ pansies - sure enough -- before March 12, and they survived. I dont think that would have worked this year.

I imagine in some ways, Gardenbug, it's great to have Phoebe keeping you occupied so you dont get the winter slumps -- but I know it's terribly challenging in the bad weather to get her the exercise & training -- You've got a new baby on your hands for sure!

Marian - great sunset shots! Im sorry you're feeling poorly -- it's a trial w/ new meds and Im sure you're disappointed w/ the allergic effects.

Well, I guess I have to start the business day.

Cindy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

As DH put it, it's a day to put on one's steel underwear. The Phoebe challenge today!!! 'Naughty' doesn't begin to describe her resistance to training. It would be tempting to abandon it...but I won't. She's trying every trick in the book: scratching herself, sitting on my foot, yawning....and more. She peed on the rug at the front door...deliberately. I'm giving her a break right now. Me too! Then back to work in a little while. DH gave her a long hard workout too. OYYYYY....Feels like we are going backwards before we can make progress.

{{gwi:153006}}

{{gwi:153007}}

And the dog distractions:
    {{gwi:153008}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I have been responding in fits and starts since yesterday, so I hope my post is understandable. [g] Windy and a little cold for working outdoors today but nice and sunny so I am going to make the attempt to get some thing done out there later on. My move from old to new computer is almost done, thankfully.

Michelle, you have my sympathy...hope you worked out your XP problems. I've had that kind of an April Fool's Day too...not much went right. Nothing funny happened today either which was too bad. I am going to have to make more of an effort to have fun next year.

Cindy! So *happy* for you! You must be so relieved about your great test results. :-)

Gardenbug....It helps so much when everyone in the house is doing the same thing with the dog. We took the whole family to training sessions when we went through them. Years ago, it was pretty expensive too, but well worth it. Sorry about your basement flooding...hate that. Does your creek fill up like that every spring? I can imagine that it is interesting to watch every day, what with kingfishers fishing and all. [g] Amazing. Wow, to geese on your own property. I have to go to the Pond to see that! Hang in there with 'her highness'.....just keep telling yourself, 'I am smarter than this dog.' LOL

chelone....the response of your boss to your Mom's situation, was such a shame. Asking how someone is doing is such a basic courtesy, isn't it? I have known people with similar attitudes, trying to smooth things over with 'positive' thinking used without much thinking involved [g]. Sometimes there is a reason behind such a response. Maybe she has reached her limit of anxiety in her own life and has to deflect any more? Hope there were others able to offer a more sympathetic response. I think it makes a big difference when you are struggling with something. We all need the support. Sorry about Wrecks...I hope it will get resolved quickly. Is this keeping you from your long walks? Good luck today. :-)

Marian...great photos! Love number four of the rainbow! The JW movie I watched on Sunday, was Tall in the Saddle. One I had never seen. Love JWayne movies. The only one I never liked was The Quiet Man and probably because I am not a big fan of Maureen O'Hara. You have quite a collection! About your meds, can your doc give you something else that you might have a better response to?

Saucy...bee babies from ME...sounds exciting! Very jealous you are able to tackle the front redo of your house. I am a year or two away from being able to do ours. Good timing though, maybe I can learn something from your experience. :-) We had high winds keeping me awake last night...sounded like a train coming through a couple of times. It did warm up for a few hours yesterday afternoon and all of sudden the sound of birds! Can't wait until it is warm consistently for a few days in a row.

Denise....LOVED your spring photos! I see the colored glass mulch in one of your containers. Nasturtiums in bloom? That isn't even spring here, that's summer...lol. Lovely. I am wondering what is mingling with your grasses? I can see the poppies but on the right side of the photo..pale purple blooms to the right of the pink poppy? Is that the gladiolus? Really nice effect. I am a big fan of this look with the grasses. You really seem to be able to grow things quite differently then we can.

Kathy...your Roses are amazing! I imagine on the framework against the house, they provide shade for the patio and privacy and fragrance for the upstairs windows. Do you ever get birds nesting in them? Nice job on the pruning. I like the curve to the branches of LB going up the arbor.

Quick hello to all...
    pm2

• david_5311
    15 years ago

Hi Idyllers! Thought I would stop by here and just say that I am still alive and kicking. Have had some relationship issues and growing pains in general, life is tough sometimes, but I am on the whole still doing fine and ready for spring. First working day in the garden last weekend, felt like I had been on another planet all winter and returned to earth, have never been so *disengaged* from the garden and plants over the winter before. It is nice to be grounded in the earth again. I am happy to say the witchhazels are all in bloom, the Plantskydd spray worked wonders and the deer did not decimate them as they have every past winter. And Magnolia grandiflora 'Edith Bogue' made it through a real zone 5 winter green and unscathed (forget Brackens Brown Beauty which I have killed 3 times, Edith is definitely hardier) and Cedrus deodora 'Karl Fuchs' which is supposed to be barely zone 7 hardy and people in NC complain about losing has been through 4 solid winters in my zone 5 garden and looks pristine....

No time but to skim the pictures and notes but Marie, Phoebe looks like a joy. Charlotte will never be replaced I know, but I am happy for a new spirit in your life nonetheless.

If anybody knows if there are any Idyllunion plans for the summer, please email me and let me know.

My best for a happy spring and life/garden renewal to you all.

David

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

What a treat to see David! Hope everything gets on an even keel for you. Funny you should mention Karl Fuchs, as the one thing I ordered from Forest Farm this year is Cedrus atlantica glauca (a bit smaller and bluer than Karl). I resisted the C. deodora thinking that in the Z5 micro it'll be in, I'd lose it. Next Year!!

Rich drove today and has declared himself able to do everything but lift. That was at 9a and by 11a he was sound asleep and according to his VERYDB (I called him when no phone got answered for 1/2 hour and no pre-sleep call) he's still out cold (now 4p). LOL Let'em think what he wants ....

Until there are at least 20 crocus blooming in my yard (there are now 12) I'm not talking to Denise or Kathy ;-)

This is a blast in and out from work so must move quickly. Wish I could offer to "do" Idyllunion this year as a 10th Anniversary Celebration of 1998's Herbstock, but you've all been to CT and I need one more year for the gardens.

Bye and Later!!

Martie

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Hi everyone

Wanted to stop by to say Hello. All is well but hectic at work and home but in ten days time we have our Spring break - yeah!!

I'll keep peeking in when I can - our snow finally melted and I feel as if we might get a Spring after all. Crocus are blooming and the first apres winter poop pick-up has been completed.

Miss you all

Mary

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Weekly update: Everything planted in this tray is sprouting!! Early success but damping off is a big concern this year given wacky temps and only one heat mat:

{{gwi:153010}}

Here's PM2's and anyone else's Digitalis. Please ask for some as we've got plenty and they are one of the few seedlings that suffer no angst from being moved just after first set of true leaves (another week?????):

{{gwi:153011}}

Did everyone disappear into baseball madness??? LOL (Feeling for any Mets fans out there.....)

Martie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Funny, Martie, we had softball madness - Sarah's season started last evening.

Today promises to be a good garden day, so I am going to work quickly in the office and save what I can do later for a rainy day :) I hope to do a clean up of my neighborhood and pick a garden bed to rake out (maybe my shade garden).

Tonight is bee school. The reason for the Maine bees is because my neighbor is sort of my mentor in this project and she lost some of her hives and is replacing them....she knows the bee lady in Maine and says she's a good source. Nothing against the southern bees. Most bees are transplants from the south, turns out, I think it's because their spring gets started earlier so they make a good mail order business out of it....

Class is fun and soon it will be time to put a hive together.

Hope everyone has a great day! I've got a bus to catch :)

Saucy

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

How lovely to see David pop in -- Im sorry you've had a trying winter (a lot of us seem to have had those woes of one sort or another) -- being able to get back out in the yard is amazing therapy isnt it?

Hope we can all get enthused about a summer IU get-together too - Im up for anywhere...

Neat, Martie, that you've got all those digitalis seedlings -- Im pretty sure I noted that several of my clumps seem to be non-existent now - go figure.... there are a few still alive; but we really didnt have much snow cover this winter - maybe that's part of the problem...

Saucy, sounds like a good idea re "splitting" w/ your bee mentor -- we will all be so much more knowledgeable w/ all these tidbits - I have never thought where they might be sourced from or how or if they have to acclimate to different areas..

Wow, Mary - that seems late for spring break - late April? But Im sure you'll take it no matter what time! It must be frustrating having to keep the future "open" to drastic change.... the sooner things get decided, the more you'll be able to adjust accordingly.

Off to lunch.

--Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

The snow is gone again, but the mud remains. We just cant seem to coax the sun to shine here.

Cindy, I have the combo problem too, the ones that usually work werent planned by me LOL

bug, I hope you stay nice and dry. Fortunately our creek is far enough from the house and the house sits on a hill that we havent ever had a problem. Puppy training sounds trying, Im sure consistency is the key.

Denise, I always find a spot each year for some variegated nasturtiums. From the looks of it, spring is in full swing there.

Marian, you really live in a lovely area. Although, the stars are pretty bright here too.

Treipen, headcheese, tongue and heart are all things I recall but dont believe Ive ever tasted them.

Deanne, Im sorry Ive never mentioned the mesh plant trays as liners. I do that same thing and it does work great.

Wow Kathy, those are some monstrous roses.

Lunch hour is nearly finished so Id best end here.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Wow, Martie, what a crop of foxglove sprouts!! Such a lovely sight. :-) You must be happy with that germination. I haven't tried that in at least twelve years or longer. I bet you are having fun. I was going to email you and couldn't, but you could email me from my GW page.

Not feeling too good today...of course....it is balmy outside. I could be getting something done in the garden otherwise. Waving .... no baseball here.....:-)

pm2

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

A beautiful day here and 50F. Sun is changing to cloud now, but I can't do much outdoors yet due to MUD! MUD! MUD! My shoes, eeeew! But frankly, almost any sign of spring is welcome. I threw many sticks into the floodwaters just to get rid of them. There are snowdrops, yellow winter aconites, birds...little bulb shoots emerging too. Of course there are vole mounds too...

Phoebe is full of beans and yes, I will try to be consistent with the positive training. It is a learning curve for me because Charlotte was much easier. This little girl is full of attitude and I find it hard to keep my commands calm and sweet and save my temper for "NO" alone. I'm learning though.

No baseball here either. Just gravel pits!
    Wish there were a Lady Banks here, but not in my zone. Every time I see one I fall in love. Sigh... BUT, today the nursery phoned to say my order of 2 roses is ready. Well I'm not ready yet, so I delayed them for a week. Perhaps I can shovel the snow away from their new homes and put dark plastic there to warm up the soil.

News from out west is that Reed is excited to be on the deck. He is super conscious of spring sounds and that amazes DD who is used to her SS with hearing problems. He loves the airplanes overhead, the bird songs and even the fluttering of their wings. Now she's on a campaign to get DSIL to turn his music down to save Reed's hearing. They're tuning up their bikes and have been on one ride already with Reed in tow, screaming in delight all the way! They celebrated their first argument last week too. It's about time too. Hehehe. Anyway, it was all about consistency in disciplining DSS. DD is trying to get DSIL to read about dog training as a motivator! Hahaha. It just might work. I think sometimes electric shock therapy might be best. He can be sweet, but the signals are so mixed from parent to parent. OY....

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Pm2, I haven't felt too great today either. Twice I have gone out with my camera and wandered around taking pics, even though the ground is terribly soggy! The first time was before lunch.I wandered the woods that time. The second time was due to Tommy's insistance...:-) He was out on the deck, and wnated me to join him. We wandered the yard, and went up the drive. He 'talked' the entire time! Funny....
    Then Nolon decided to go out also. He is restacking a wood pile out front that fell down. Tommy is out there monitoring the job.

I am still feeling poorly...hope you are better.

Serviceberries behind the little red barn and farther out in the woods:

{{gwi:153012}}

{{gwi:153013}}

A handsome mossy rock:

{{gwi:153014}}

My shrub row out front:

{{gwi:153016}}

I am hearing thunder again...guess the rain is returning!

Marian

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well... it's no match for Denise's or Kathy's spring pictures, but they're the first flowers here!:
    {{gwi:153018}}

Sorry about the off-center picture - the sun was so bright I couldn't see the screen on the camera so was just pointing it and hoping...:-) These crocuses are by the south wall of the house where the snow melts first. I'm sure there're snowdrops in the backyard somewhere but there's still too much snow and ice back there for me to get near any of the spots where the snow has actually melted off. I did see a winter acontite or two in the front lawn bed but couldn't get near them to take a picture.

The seedlings are coming along here too. I separated my Angel rose hips when I collected them in the fall, keeping the ones from under the big Blanc Double de Coubert rose separate from the rest. I was hoping I might get some interesting crosses from them. I didn't have great luck with germination on them this year - the seed starting mix I used was obviously heavily laden with moss spores because I got a great crop of moss but not muce else! However I did end up with 5 pots of roses. Several of the hips produced extra-large seeds, which I hope are a cross. One of them was very late to germinate and is still very tiny so I'm not sure what it will be. All of the seedlings are scented, which is not always the case. One pot has turned out to have a mix of seeds because there are both single pink flowers and double white ones blooming in the same pot. The double white one was really pumping out the scent this morning so I'm assuming it probably does have BDC as a parent. I will probably keep that one and the tiny one if it survives and looks interesting but will give away the other three. Are you interested in having one gb? Here is a (vey bad) picture of the pot with the double white one:
    {{gwi:153020}}

I have a dozen pots of hens'n' chicks that are doing well. I really like hens'n' chicks but didn't expect them to be so prolific in germination! I'll keep a couple and take most of the rest up to the longterm care place's garden for planting in their hot dry area at the front.
    {{gwi:153022}}

My other seedlings this year are my usual delphiniums, Blue Wave petunias (I love the spicy scent of them!), heliotrope, Sweet Million tomatoes and hardy hibiscus. Some of them are for my garden but I'm also growing them for my samosa-making friend - they just moved into their first house from a condo in December and are looking forward to having a garden for the first time.

I had an nice, but unexpected, letter yesterday from the younger son of my mother's best friend. She and my mother, both elderly and living alone, used to call each other every day - to chat but also to check that the other was OK. It was actually her friend who called for help when my mother had her stroke 10 years or so ago. She called Mom for their usual morning chat; Mom answered but was not making sense, so she called my sister who went to check on her, saw that she had had a stroke and called the ambulance. Mom died a few weeks later in hospital after another stroke. After Mom died, her friend and I exchanged annual Christmas letters. I was worried whether she had someone else to continue the dailiy checking routine she had with Mom. A couple of years ago, the Christmas letters from her stopped. I asked my sister if she had heard if something had happened but she hadn't heard anything and said the house still looked occupied when she passed by. I checked the obituaries on-line and was reassured not to find her there! When I saw her son's address on the envelope yesterday, my first though was that he was writing to tell me she had died. In his letter yesterday, he said she had had a stroke - in 2004! Initially she had went home after some recovery time in the hospital but then had a fall when she was on her own at night after the home care worker had left. I assume she broke a hip or something because he said she had spent months in the hospital and then moved to a nursing home where she still is. He said they meant to write to me sooner but kept losing my address from the Christmas cards and they couldn't remember my sister's married name to contact her... He said she loves to 'hear from people' and is still 'on the ball', so yesterday I wrote my mother's friend a chatty letter, included lots of pictures and sent it off today. Mom's friend used to live down the road from us when we lived at my grandparents' place when I was small. She was one of those fun people, with a witty, sharp tongue and I loved to listen to her talk! Mom was godmother to the son who wrote to me. It was a nice touch of 'home' and brought back lots of momories of my mother...

Marian - Those were great pictures of your yard, the sainbow and sunset.

Chelone - poor Wrecks/Rex; poor you...:-( I hope he recovers quickly this time too.

Cynthia - how is Katie doing now? How sad she never got her twirl back!

Cindy - I'm glad you're breathing fresher air again!

gb - you and Paul, a neighbour on the next street, would have a good time comparing training stories! He owned that nice Rottweiler/shepherd cross that died last spring. He got a new Rottweiler puppy in the summer - Zoe is about 10 months or so now. She's a nice beastie but has lots of puppy exhuberance. Like you, Paul keeps saying she's harder to train than Hera was. I think you've all just started to see Hera/Charlotte's youth through rose-colored glasses. Zoe was out in the front yard with Paul when we walked by with Misty and Liam at lunch. She stayed in a nice 'down' while we were coming up the driveway to greet her. Then she was very polite and friendly with both Misty and Liam. (she's met both of them before and they all consider each other buddies...)

Speaking of dogs... - there is agitation going on for post-supper walkies....

• chelone
    15 years ago

This has not been a good day. It has humorous aspects but I'm tired, cranky, and frustrated. And it's been a boring, dirty week at work. With a few warm days hastening the level of urgency.

Wrecks was been taking 100 mg. of Deramaxx daily (an anti-inflammatory) since his exam on Monday. Surgery was scheduled for tomorrow. My job today was to take him in and have a morphine patch applied to the unaffected rear leg so he was already on some "pain management". I came home, took him outdoors and we messed around in the yard for a bit. Then we got in car and had the patch applied. I returned home, went upstairs and discovered he'd eaten 16 Deramaxx pills sometime between noon and 2:30 (Daddy comes home for lunch).

I called the vet. and explained what happened. I used an ear syringe to put 3-4 tbsps. of Hydrogen Peroxide down his throat to induce vomitting. I waited about 10 minutes and he "cast his gorge" obigingly... one huge pool, and 3 smaller ones. I promptly tied him to the railing so he wouldn't eat it... (I hate dogs). I used a knife and my fingers to patiently go through it all to find the remnants of as many pills as I was able (12-13). Put him back into the car and retraced our steps so they could shoot 300 mls. of activated charcoal down his gullet, shoot something to inhibit acid production into his hindquarter, and give me 42 pills (2 3times/day for a week) to help protect his GI tract from the corrosive effect of the Deramaxx. Helpmeet takes him in for bloodwork tomorrow morning... to assess any potential danger to his liver and kidneys.

No surgery tomorrow... probably at least a week, pending bloodwork. :(

Sooo... Rex is now groovin' on 100 mg. of recreational morphine and a bellyful of charcoal. Life is just great.

There are two pools of pristine white Crocus, though. :/

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Oh boy, I guess Chelone's DH is in the doghouse and Wrecks is enjoying the morphine. Wouldn't you like a dull moment about now? Maybe some wine????

I must say, dog training and child training both require the partners to be on the same page. That never happens at our house and it is impossible to deal with! Even the dog trainer had to put up with "no, that isn't true" from DH every time she explained a technique. He's a pain....Why have I put up with it for so long? He must have redeeming features but at the moment don't ask me what they are.

Woody, no way would Phoebe remain in a nice "down" if you came up our drive. Especially if you came with other dogs! Much more work for us first! Tonight she practiced sitting in the dining room while we ate.("sitting" is a term I used loosely!) She ate later.

I'm amazed by Marian's trees. So much color and beauty. I wonder how long until my service berries bloom. At least a month, probably more. What is the red color in the distance? My forsythia was chomped by bunnies...Maybe next year?

"bug

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Marie, it is a Flowering Quince. You must have a differant kind of rabbit than we do. The ones here never bother the forsythia.
    We got another deluge awhile ago. When it ended it was lighter out than when I took the other pics of the water in our yard. I got a lot more pics and they are lots clearer, but I won't bore you all with them ... unless asked - ;-)
    I am hearing thunder AGAIN, so think more is on the way!!!! Will it never stop? Yes it will...then we will be wishing for rain!

Oh my, Chelone. Poor Wrecks, and poor you! I hope you both will be okay.

Woody, I had the same problem with my camera's screen. I had to point at the subject and hope I was in the right spot, and it wasn't even all that bright out! I don't know if it is my eyes, or the camera?? Your pics are great. I am envious of your rose seedlings...with blooms even! If I were feeling like it would be a smart thing for me to do, I would like to grow some hybrid rose seeds, but I don't need any more stuff to take care of.
    I have hens and chicks both in a pot that I brought in last fall, and one that I left outside. They both look good.

The thunder that I heard this time was on past us, and another rainbow appeared. :-)

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

A brief check-in here..I enjoy tales of others as they observe the beginning of spring, and exciting time that is over for me ..spring here is in full throttle. I say 6 to 10 days and I will have many blooming roses, and hopefully photos to share.

Marie, I completely empathize with your frustration over the problems inherent in having the spousal unit off the page that you are on when training/disciplining the youth of the house, be they kids or pets. I think that was the number one issue between me and DH . Im really lucky my kids turned out ok in spite of the constant mixed messages they received.

Crikey , Chelone, what a horrible day for you and jumbo-pooch. Best wishes for better days ahead

And Woody, love your story of the eldery friend, and pics of the spring green babies.

This is all I have time for today, a big howdy to everyone and hope for a longer post on the morrow..

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Bore me Marian, LOL! I love seeing pictures of your spring!

Woody, you inspired me to write to someone who I have been thinking of lately. Your story made me miss my grandmother's letters terribly....I might find one to read tonight :)

I took Sarah to class tonight. She jotted me a note while listening to the speaker: Bees should take swimming lessons. We learned tonight that bees drown easily.

Check Rex into Betty Ford....good grief! I hope tomorrow is a better day for all in your house, Chelone.

I'll check back in tomorrow a.m.....my eyelids are on auto pilot.

Saucy

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Marian what a nice show of shrubs you have. My forsythia is just getting started and not planted near the flowering quince that is budded but not open yet. And is that bridal wreath spirea blooming too? We keep getting rain here too. The river is near the road to town again.

Woody, are those roses blooming from seed started this winter? Thats cool. I hope you get something special from the crosses. I imagine your mothers friend will be delighted to get your letter.

Martie, seeing your seedlings makes me wish I had started something. Truth is I lost a lot of my cuttings so they probably wouldn't have survived either. Richs ordeal was really something. I hope he is feeling better each day.

I have finally finished in the basement for now. What a relief to have that done. Now if these two upstairs closets were done. But those are going to have to wait for awhile. It is really greening up in the gardens but oh so muddy. The iris and daylillies are putting on growth and lots of columbine foliage too. Of course the cool weather weeds are growing like, well weeds. I actually took time to pull some in one bed. Enough to get muddy knees and dirty fingernails. Lots of daffodils. Some of my clumps have matured to a nice size. Problem is they have only had about a day and half to hold their heads up and show off. The rest of the time they have been drooping in the rain.

Cynthia, I imagine your garden is starting to take off. Did you get the support cart for Katie?

Oiy! Chelone. I hope Rex will be ok. thats pretty scary.

My mutt Rebel reeks of skunk and while I was sorting some stuff in the garage today he kept sticking his head in my lap for pets. Yucko.

Michelle, I'm glad your snow has melted.

Cindy, great to hear your house passed the test.

Kathy your climbing roses are awesome. I just can't make it happen here. I give up.

Hi Babs!

Saucy you are being very productive lately.

Waving hi to all the rest of you. I'm fading away here.

Norma

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

I've been a bad idyller this week - meetings Tuesday and Wednesday night, and just no brain left to do anything productive tonight. But I caught Chelone's story about Rex. Okay, that phrase "recreational morphine" just sort of leaps off the page, you know?

Chelone, kudos to you for doing what was necessary, including the pill count. I hope that Rex recovers and that the helpmeet is not beat too badly...

So it's Thursday evening. Since Monday, I have gone to a visitation, read a small dramatic part in a program, run a board meeting for a trade group, gone to a small wine tasting, did trouble-shooting on a label printing program, entered several hundred lines of data into a data base, drafted questions for a certification exam and taught myself to write Access queries, just to name a few highlights. And I'm wondering two things: a.) why am I so tired? and b.) aren't I an accountant?

Off to "find myself"

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I hope Sue signs in early tomorrow....I'm ready for her message, no matter what color!

gnite! (I'm caught up but too tired to respond.)
    'bug & Phoebe

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Queries you say V ?? I am the Queen of queries, but I dump mine into excel. Never saw a schema I didn't like.Doin queries when I should be buying stuff.

Hi Norma!

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Sounds like Rex and Rich could party together this week :-)

V -- I want an "accounting" job like yours, despite Access which is harder to use than it should be.

Waving hi to all.

Off to start a thread of The Park. Do stop by!

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

goodmorning... :-)

Feeling somewhat better this morning after having gotten a better night sleep then I have been getting of late. More sleep would be even better, but I am working on it. I'm expecting my energy to be fleeting this morning, so I thought I would post while I still have some.

I did attempt to go out and cut back some grasses and take photos yesterday, but after a few photos my memory card was full, and after one grass, I was ready to quit. But here are the few pics I took...

Hairy Vetch cover crop....
    {{gwi:153025}}

Tiny Dianthus seedlings....
    {{gwi:153027}}

Lupine...
    {{gwi:153028}}

Dwarf Delphinium bought on sale in fall...came back!
    {{gwi:153029}}

Crocus finally opening up...
    {{gwi:153030}}

{{gwi:153031}}

Chelone.....hope you have an easier day today. Once again, I am impressed with your level headed-ness. I learned a lot reading about how you responded to Wrecks crisis. I would not have known about the Hydrogen Peroxide or counting the pills. I am sure you saved that poor dog!

Marian.....sorry to hear you are not feeling so well. I wonder if the meds you were taking might have stirred something up? We are pretty sensitive to meds in our family. My Mom had to be hospitalized from a reaction to blood pressure meds once. It took them awhile to figure out what the problem was and as soon as they took her off it, she made a quick turn around. Incidents like that have happened often enough that any time we are not feeling well, meds is the first thing we think of. I enjoyed all your photos...LOVED that moss covered rock. Beautiful! I have Amelanchier not in bloom yet too. I second the request for more photos. :-)

Woody...loved the story of your Mom's friend and look forward to an update if you hear back from her. Great rose photos! Also wondered if those were from seed planted this winter?! I used to have a Blanc Double de Courbet but it didn't come back one spring. I thought that was bizarre since they are supposed to be so hardy. I have never tried sowing rose seeds, I will have to try them.

Gardenbug....enjoyed your account of Reed's first spring experiences. DD and DSIL having first fight over disciplining the kids....you fight about what is most important to you to fight for, don't you think? That says a lot about where their priorities are! Better that, then fighting over where are we going to dinner tonight. [g]
    I wonder do you get that show SuperNanny where you are? I watch it all the time, and the first thing she works on with struggling parents, is getting on the same page.

Kathy....Roses in spring...did you choose really early bloomers? Not sure, since I only have three roses in my garden, but around here, isn't it almost June before we see roses here in NE, anyone? Looking forward to seeing photos of the first of your roses blooming.

Norma, sorry you lost your cuttings. No seedlings this year? I forget if you mentioned whether you have tried Winter Sowing? Once I got the containers with the seeds sowed and labeled, out the door back in January, I have done nothing with them. Haven't even gone out to keep checking on them like I usually do, and just like magic, the seeds sprout....Now I will just have to make sure they don't dry out and they should be all set until time to plant out. Very envious that you have your basement cleaned out.

Cynthia...how is Katie doing?

V....that is some wild week you've had...lol.

Enjoying everyone's photos and stories and sure I am forgetting something I was going to comment on...but time to go...

Enjoy your Friday! :-) pm2

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Sorry to be in a rush because there's stuff I'd love to comment on (particularly Reed's discovery of "outside") but wanted to slide these in before big day at work:

Woody's from-seed Rosa chinensis (we think ;-) flank the start of the main path through the main bed:

{{gwi:153032}}

Anyone remember the pic of a giant 60 pound daylily falling out of my car at Deanne's?? No worse for the wear, this "baby" is a full 2' wide:

{{gwi:153033}}

Happy Friday!

Martie, again

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Back from a fairly uneventful trip to Florida. Visited the various parental units and spent as much time as possible soaking up the sun. At mom's I even stripped down to a bikini and sat by the association pool with books two afternoons in a row-something I haven't done in 20 years. Dad and wife took me to the new Hard Rock Seminole Casino in Tampa...lol...not my scene but I decided it was going to be a go with the flow trip.

Chelone, Zoe ate a fair amount of De-con a few years ago while at my MIL's on a Sunday. All the hydrogen peroxide caused her to do was belch. Luckily the local vet didn't mind having his Sunday dinner interrupted and met us at his office within half an hour. He put a tablet of something in her eye and within seconds it was coming out both ends...lol, sorry for the unintended visual. Had I not gone looking for her in the house I never would have known she got into it and she would have been dead the next day. It still gives me agida to think about it.

Marian, you are way ahead of me in the spring department. Keep the pictures coming! This morning we have cold rain that is supposed to last into tomorrow.

At any rate, I've only skimmed this thread and have probably missed alot. Martie, hope Rich is on the mend. Jeez! Here you go, Marie...

TGIF!

Sue

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Raining here this morning - hopefully that, and milder temperatures, will have the rest of the snow gone by the end of the weekend. I sure hope so!

Re the rose seedlings - the seeds were planted Jan 17th. The seeds take 30-60 days to germinate but the neat thing is the seedlings start blooming when they are about 2-3" tall! And they don't stop until about late October! They are lots of fun to grow - right, Martie?

I don't expect to hear back from Mom's friend directly. Her son reminded me that she is left-handed and the stroke left her paralyzed on the left side. He says he will relay her comments to me via e-mail.

Saucy - I'm sure whoever you wrote to will appreciate it greatly, especially if she/he is older. Letters have become such rare things these days....

Chelone - I sure hope your big beastie will be fine after his high-flying experience!

gb - keep in mind that our neighbour's Zoe is probably 6 months older than your Phoebe. I'm sure Phoebe's behavior will improve the same as Zoe's has. My point was that both you and Paul lament about how unruly the current puppy is relative to the memory of what the previous dog's youth was like. But, as an 'outsider', all I see is normal puppy behavior that is settling down to a nice dog....:-)

V - it sounds like you are a multi-talented accountant...! Isn't that what us accountants are supposed to be?!

All the sping pictures have me itchin' to get outside - but a lot of the yard is still inaccessible with snow and ice. - Next week I should be able to be out there I hope....

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Yikes -- Chelone you had a time of it yesterday! Too bad you didnt have an extra morphine patch for some recreation yourself by the end of it! Those emergency scares w/ "stoooped dawg" things are expensive, draining and frightening -- glad you were timely w/ all the response. Guess Rex Really did not want the surgery today! Chloe's had a few runs like that to the emergency vet too -- they are all too memorable.

Welcome back, Sue - glad you had a pretty good time - sometimes real R&R/go w/ the flow is just what a person needs. I am feeling in need of a week off myself just to slug; but it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Norma -- what an accomplishment to get your basement all cleaned & organized -- sigh, sigh -- if only.... Having my own in such upheaval has made me realize what an entire mess/clutter/packrat heaven my whole house has become - I have got to do something about it.

V -- you're a truly multi-tasking/multi-talented "accountant"!

Love those hens and chicks, Woody. A sad tale about your mother's friend -- I guess we all "fade" away eventually like that if the family doesnt really bother to contact friends & acquaintances. Im sure she will enjoy your letter immensely.

More rain here for the next 2 days.... and feeling very chilly -- mud, mud and more mud -- in another week or so I should be getting some mail orders in -- I guess I may end up using the basement as a greenhouse after all if it doesnt warm up soon - well, that would make it good for something at least.

Happy Friday all.

-Cindy

• just_t
    15 years ago

Hello Idylls! Fast fly-by post from me. I've had some issues with internet connections along with lots of babysitting, helping mom and a run in with springtime cold germs. All makes for a busier time than normal and less time to read online (or to deal with the frustration of attempting to get online).

We received about 4" of snow last week---crazy springtime weather for us in this part of the country. It was lovely to watch the big fluffy flakes fall, but it sure seemed more like December instead of late March. Weird weather patterns everywhere.

My daffodils are still in bloom although most are laying along the ground after being weighted down by the snow. Tulips haven't shown themselves yet, but there is new growth on the rose bushes (until the elk & deer find the new leaves) and more leaf buds opening on the trees.

The logging operation is still going on behind our property but they look to be finishing up. Most of the logs have been hauled out, only one loader (the machine that picks up the trees/logs to put them on the log trucks) is left. They did leave approximately a football field length of forested land between our property line and their logging operation. We're amazed at the buffer and wonder why, how long we'll get to 'keep' the buffer (days? months? years?) but also very thankful that it has been left. I've taken many photos as we've walked through the woods to check on the logging operation but still haven't downloaded the photos onto this computer.

Well, twins will arrive any minute and a melt-down happens if I have the laptop in their view (they want to type) so I'd better get this put away and do a once through to make sure all is ready.

Hope all are doing well.....sorry to be so hit and miss.

My best to all,
    T.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Caught up on reading.

Zero tolerance for puppy these days....Even the trainer says she's a character Woody! She suggested putting DH in the crate until he'll begin to work on the same page. Hehehehe.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Me oh my oh! I think I need to go back to bed and hope for a better day. Since I am still under par, I decided to rearrange my PT albums. I had too many pics in the last one ( for March) so I made an April album. In the process of moving pics, I deleted several from this thread!
    I started a post to explain this booboo, ( and it was becoming a rather lucid post!), when the power blinked off! Back to square one....( I HATE when that happens).
    So I prepared a meager noon meal for us, then attacked the keyboard again. This time I hit the wrong key and eliminated the Idyll page! Soooo, another wait for it to come back on.
    I went and folded a basket of laundry that was washed about a week ago! Talk about wrinkled!!! it was bedding and towels.
    Anyhooo, I think I will start a new thread for my pics, like Martie did. I had better wait until after my afternoon nap. Maybe I will be refreshed, and avoid more booboos!

Last night was another of those " wonder if I will still be here in the morning" nights. I was up almost as much as I was down. Was not comfortable( to say the least) either way. My treks outside yesterday were efforts to rise above how I was feeling...it did't work. Today is dark and wet ( but not raining) and cold.

The only concellation to the cold is that it is holding the spring blossoms in good shape. The serviceberries are lasting a record time, and so are other blooms. Also, the darkness makes the white blooms stand out, espacially the Amelanchier( see...I know it's name! ).

I will close now before I lose this post, and my mind....

TTYAL
    Marian

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Marian, I'm sorry you're not feeling well and that the computer is not cooperating. Did you quit the meds, or trying to work through the side effects? Funny, I hear an advertisment for a new FM drug all the time...they're really pushing it.

I hope you're feeling better and that a good night's sleep is the catalyst :)

GB, that's why I refuse to get a pup. Zeus came trained. He has some bad habits that time does not seem to erase but for the most part, they are not deal breakers :) I don't know where you'll find a crate for DH, but if you do, send me the order info :)

I did my part to stimulate the economy today. I ordered some brugmansias (I feel terrible for killing the cuttings I received from Wendy) - some new sports bras for tank top weather - and a japanese maple.

Nick and I have Aflac "accident" insurance for our family. I about fell out of my chair when I got the check for Jake breaking his ankle!

Looking forward to the weekend even though I have a bit of catch up to do in the office. I have a worker's comp audit next week, and I actually feel pretty confident! This isn't so hard :)

I'll talk at you later!

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Hello...still feeling better this afternoon. Trying to make some garden decisions and suddenly find myself looking at some plant material at Broken Arrow Nursery and considering whether tomorrow might be a good time, if I feel up to it. I really have to put in a couple of evergreens for screening and they have such a great selection and pretty good prices. Has anyone tried the Green Giant Arborvitae? I've been thinking about that one for awhile. Any other evergreen favorites?

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Looks like we're in for a few decent days starting tomorrow. 60s and sunshine! Jen and I are going on a production tour of one of the larger nurseries around here tomorrow. It'll be my first trip out to the nurseries this year. I haven't even mail ordered a single plant this year. Unusual for me.

My mom and dad will be here overnight Monday. They've decided to go to AM Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX since the Drs. here say there's really nothing else they can do for my mom. They'll be driving the 1500 miles over 3 days and have an appointment for next Friday, April 11th.

Our last two dogs have been 2-3 years old when we got them. Alice, a black lab, that we had for 11 years and now Bud that we've had for 8 years. They've both been great dogs with people, especially kids and never destroyed anything or had an accident in the house. I wouldn't want to have to deal with a puppy myself. Jen and Randy are making headway with Magglio. He's very smart and quick to learn and very calm for a puppy. The vet said he estimates him to be around 8 months old. He's already made the transition from sleeping in his crate at night to sleeping with them, lol.

Bella knows her colors but brought me a purple crayon earlier wanting to know the name that Crayola had given it. It was Purple Mountain Majesty. A very silly name for a crayon in my opinion. What happened to violet, orchid, lavender, etc.? What are kids supposed to do when they see that shade of purple somewhere, say "I know that color, it's Purple Mt. Majesty"? Not a very good learning experience from Crayola IMO.

I've been shopping for new chairs for the livingroom. Not an easy task. I want 2 chairs, not too big, but comfortable. Brad's vote would be for big, ugly recliners. Maybe just one for him:)

I haven't read enough to comment tonight. Don't know if I'll be around much in the next weeks so don't worry if I'm not posting.

Have a good weekend. Hope you're all able to enjoy springlike weather.

Eden

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Eden, have always heard great things about AM Anderson. I hope they can tell your parents something encouraging. :-)

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Thanks PM. Oh and it's MD Anderson. I mistyped:)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Eden, I think I can understand what you are going through. My mom was 75 when diagnosed with lung cancer. She opted not to have chemo or radiation. I know you have said what age your mom is, but I forget. I do hope she can get help, since that is what she choses.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

It was a lovely 60 degrees and sunny today. It certainly helped the mud situation. Tomorrow is supposed to be like it, but next week is predicted as rainy, so the mud will return.

We ran a new line to our icemaker tonight. I hate home repairs. The laundry room is a slow process. The painting is done along with the curtains. We are waiting on the new flooring and then will install a new sink and beadboard.

Eden, I hope that TX has something that can help your mom. Shes in my prayers.

Have you checked out the new style of La-z-boys? They have a few recliners now that dont rock and dont look like a recliner. Ive added the link below. You can pick your fabric as well. Ive looked at these and may get a couple eventually.

I noticed the same thing with Crayola markers that I bought for my Sunday School kids. They are called Pip-Squeaks and have crazy names such as petite rose, dinky pink and leprechaun green.

T, Im glad that you were left with some trees as a buffer and hope that they leave them for a long time.

Woody, the roses are awesome. Amazing that they bloom when they are so small.

Pm2, I love your spring shots.

Chelone, hows Rex feeling tonight? What an ordeal. I cant imagine sorting thru the "gorge"

Norma, I wish my basement was clean. It seems like you get it clean and a couple years later its right back to its messy self.

I havent ordered any plants either and I so love getting those boxes delivered, its just like Christmas. I was at Chalk Hill Clematis site today and thought I could put together an order but didnt get it done.

Today was the annual boob squash. Im sure you all are envious.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Friday greetings to all, I am Idylling and watching baseball simultaneously. No open houses this weekend-I am taking a holiday from feverish house cleaning and real estate issues. Im just going to putter in the garden, not go into the office, and kick back this weekend. And I swear I will sleep in till 6:30.

Eden, you know we will be thinking of you if you must be away. I hope that your Mom is feeling well enough to get some enjoyment out of the journey to Texas, and that they may find help and hope waiting for them.

PM, I can only assume that you took one for the team prostrating yourself on the ground to get that crocus shot , lol ! Roses: the first bloom flush here is typically in April, and how early or late depends on weather, rain etc. We have had a very dry spring, with many sunny days so the roses will be popping very soon. My Archduke Charles, a china rose, has been blooming for a month, and has been the first rose to bloom every year since I have had it -not counting Lady Banks who can start blooming as early as January here.

Hi T ! My BILs in Portland had some snow in March too- not normal I gather. Our nighttime temps have been quite cold here the last two weeks or so, with the wind machines kicking in in the vineyards 4 or 5 times a week. Im determined to plant at least one coleus this weekend ! One would hope that your loggers left that buffer out of sensitivity to your view .

Stand your ground bug !

Saucy, you did mention a re-do of the front of your house a couple days ago, and I am confident that you will take some time this weekend to snap the b-4 pics? I promise numerous climbing rose pics in return , starting with Reine des Violettes this weekend.

Cindy, you may have rain, but you have no mold and no houseguests! You will prevail my friend !

Ok, I really need to go watch the ballgameenjoy your Friday night everyone.

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Though dreary, it is a very Happy Saturday! Fell asleep at 6p last night after being given the afternoon off by my most understanding boss, and woke an hour ago. Think maybe these past few weeks have been a bit wearing??? LOL

Rich's Dr appt yesterday went well and though he needs to go to his general med guy in a few weeks for followup test instructions, he's in good shape. There will be gastrointestinal issues to be dealt with and eventually a heart valve that will need to be replaced.

Laughed hard when he said he felt like a used car and I reminded him that most Jaguars increase in value with age. Good to hear that laugh again.

Am feeling for those with pet woes. Don't have any idea what I could say that would help :-(

Reine des Violettes, Kathy!!! Am I remembering that it is an heirloom Bourbon? May I request a closeup shot of a bloom so I can vicariously enjoy it? I tried it several years ago, but couldn't seem to get it past Year 1 with J&P grafts.

T: A daycare near me put out an appeal for used keyboards, no wires, because the kids just liked the sound of tapping on the keys. Could one become part of your twins-keep'em-occupied arsenal?

Woody: So glad contact has been restored with your friend's family. Those roses are a Blast, and a good part of the fun is not knowing what color they'll bloom. Easy, easy, easy.

Good for you and your basement, Norma! A great feeling to declutter, for sure.

Sue: Uneventful trips to Florida can never be a bad thing. Sounds like pure luxury to read on the beach ....

CT New Nursery Alert: On Route 190 in Stafford, what used to be Milikowski's has reopened. Plan a ride over there tomorrow and will report in, but it looks like they have all greenhouses up and running and already have some nursery stock in. This used to be a top-shelf place to get all kinds of unusual things, and I'm hopeful the new owners continue that tradition ...

It would be so easy to just sit here and blather on. That kind of day, but many tomato seeds are waiting to get going. Shucks, what a chore ;-) LOL

Martie

• chelone
    15 years ago

I've read as far as Friday morning (good that Sue is back to remind us).

Wrecks is nontheworseforwear, let me assure you. I believe I own a Hyena hybrid... that dog's stomach is cast of the same iron as his will. Too bad the drivetrain is made of Silly Putty. I've come to the conclusion that after my experiences with Mum I'm pretty much "bomb-proof" when it comes to emergencies and gross stuff. I called the vet. that prescribed the Deramaxx and she was very calm, told me to induce vomitting (this vet. is 30 miles away). I didn't have a turkey baster, but instantly thought of the ear syringe as a logical substitute. Figured it would be best to have him vomit on the fibreglassed deck so I'd be able to inspect the vomit without grass, leaves, dirt "confusing" things. Vet. called back and asked if I could find any pills... I had a knife at the ready and patiently went through it, using my fingers, too. Vet. remarked that I was amazingly calm to which I replied, "a meltdown probably wouldn't help right now, would it?" she laughed. She then called our local vet. (6 miles away) and they decided to administer activated charcoal. Vet.#2 called me and she was spitting out instructions, her voice rising in pitch as she went on and on about possible ramifications of the overdose. Like that was going to help? "lookit", I said, "you need to take a breath, doc.. He's puked up the pills, I've found the better part of 13 of them. They haven't been in his system that long, he's perfectly healthy, and I can't 'beam' him to your facility. We're on our way." I hung up on her. We arrived in 5-10 minutes and she was still wound tighter than an 8 day clock. They took the dog out back and I followed them right out there! :) Didn't bother me at all to watch two techs. administer the charcoal to him. I guess maybe a lot of pet owners are wussies about the practical realities of emergency treatment? He's fine and the surgery is scheduled for next Friday. (Nice try, Rex).

Marian, I meant to comment on your rainbow picture. Just lovely and the serviceberries are so pretty. I have one here, and I'm underwhelmed by it, but it's only starting its second year in the site. I love flowering quince, too. Isn't that color too luscious for words?

Dog training isn't about training the dog, at all! 'bug., your DH needs to understand that simple fact... he's got a bad case of "teacher-itis", doesn't he? lol. If it's any consolation, the helpmeet isn't nearly as patient or as assertive as I am with Wrecks. He repeats commands too many times and enforcement comes too late. Wrecks knows that enforcement is lax and "pushes" the boundries predictably. The other thing he doesn't completely understand is that it's a lot easier to train a TIRED dog. Let him blow off some steam first and then do the lesson. Everything in your dog's life should be a reinforcement of the dogs PLACE in your home. You eat first, always. You exit a door first, always. The dog must learn to wait for your command. You are the one leadin' the parade. And every single day of your life with your dog is about reinforcing that simple fact. it never ends, but that's the reason we have dogs and we hate them. ;)

I have to go deal with returnables now... before the crowds descend on the automatic machines. Later!

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Today's sky is light blue with wispy clouds and looks like the start of a beautiful summer day, but forecast is for gray skies and more wet stuff. Maybe they're wrong. It's been a really decent spring here, with the cool temps keeping the daffs going for weeks. Ice Follies usually bloom a few weeks after the early Jet Fire, but this year they're blooming together and I like it! Magnolias are out and didn't get hit by late frost. So far anyway.

Wrecks! You junkie. Good work Chelone, counting pills in dog vomit is an act of love, you can't deny it.

That story reminded me of a home visit a few years ago in one of the most awful sections of Baltimore City. Nice young man refurbing a brick row house with a cement yard and one tree on the entire block. I had Dannie with me, and she was my foster then. In the living room, she reached toward a door frame and retrieved a small green block with her mouth. 'What's that?' I asked. The young man leaped into action. Did I imagine sweat on his face? The green cube was rat poison. So he got a demo of 'how to make a dog vomit.' She had not eaten it, but having it in her mouth was enough for me. The trick after administering the hydrogen peroxide is to walk the dog in tight circles to make them dizzy and vomit more readily. He was panicked and thought he had failed the home visit and wouldn't be able to adopt. I was excited. No! That's exactly why we do these. He is wonderful owner and has become an active volunteer.

Today I'm getting together with two friends to measure Katie for her cart. The PT gave it a thumbs up and thinks it will help her. She recommended Eddie's Wheels
    for best design and comfort. These carts come in pink! The measurement taking involves multiple sets of hands and clipboards used like a sandwich to measure widths across top of back, ribs, butt. It's daunting, so I need help to get it right. She is loving her PT, and we have exercises to do at home too: Cookie stretches, nudges, massage across the spine, Cavaletti poles (I covered bricks with towels and put across thresholds). We meet interesting breeds of dogs in the waiting room there. A morose Irish Wolfhound with beautiful eyes and a shy Bernese Mountain dog this week. I'm grateful that outings and people are the things Katie loves the most. So she lights up the place with her happy attitude and makes me proud to be her designated bill payer :) The surgery took care of the pain, but at this point I'm not optimistic she will recover fully, so am grateful that I have a happy girl who still thinks the world was made for her entertainment.

I do need more coffee, but there's a cat in my lap. In my front hall is a box with a small order from Brent and Becky's. Canna Stuttgart, Canna Australia, Alstroemeria Sweet Laura, Alocasia plumbea 'Nigra' and Eucomis Van Der Merwe. So I guess there will be some 'potting up' in my day. I have not started a single seed this year. But I will, it's not too late for the annuals I like and some of the interesting or favorite perennial seeds. I enjoy seeing the pictures of everyone else seedlings germinate.

Eden, I'm thinking of you and your mom!

Cynthia

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Saucy, you must do "before" pictures. I always regret it when I don't and love seeing the differences when I do.

Alstroemeria 'Sweet Laura' I'm always suckered by plants with my children's names. I haven't bought that one yet although I've seen it in catalogs. I already have phlox and clematis 'Laura'. I've only seen one daylily with my DS name and didn't think it was worth the price. McKenzie on the other hand isn't as common as Laura. I've spied a clematis 'Bill MacKenzie' with yellow flowers which are her favorite. I just need something in her garden for it to grow on.

Its supposed be a beautiful day so I'd better get going and enjoy it.

Michelle

• chelone
    15 years ago

Eden, my thoughts are with your Mom and Dad. I well recall the "time between" diagnosis and treatment. And how painful it was to carefully mull over a diagnosis of cancer and the alternatives, each with its own set of insecurities. No fun, and scare-y. I smiled at your comment about Crayolas... how come it's so much more complicated now and less of it "sticks"?

And speaking of color, Michelle... dinky pink?? I'm sorry, there is something just a tad too "adult" about that description, thank you very much. Reminds me of those "mauve" kitchen accessories (dishpans, dishmats, etc.) that were a bit too evocative of intimate anatomy. :/ . I'm with you on the mud scene! Lots of it, here, too. 'tis the season and a lot of ground water characterizes our "low" lot. It's why the ferns are so pretty and I have to wait so long to rake.

I'm dazzled by the seedlings and cuttings you've shared. Does my heart glad, but I'm in no position to undertake such things at this time. Clearly, something I'll be able to discover in coming years. :) the ice is now officially out of the little pond/muckhole and I suspect the next round of warm weather will lure the peepers out of hibernation. My co-worker heard then last Tuesday (it was into the '60s). She lives 30 miles south of me and hasn't heard them since, however. But the chillies can't last forever. It's all so exciting.

Canopies are due to be put up starting next week. The 'phone is ringing steadily at work, tension is building at precisely the same rate as my tolerance for being snapped at is waning. ;) I'm plunking along on the Salon, and feeling pretty good about things in general. I've decided there is nothing to be gained by letting too much of the seasonal tension "get to me". When I hit critical mass I'll blow and the aftermath will be OK. (No, I didn't snitch Rex's morphine patch).

Helpmeet was especially contrite about the Deramaxx being left atop the sideboard. So contrite, in fact, he cleaned up the puke for me. Nothing says, "I love you" more than sqeegeeing dog puke into a dustpan for your helpmeet. He's a "keeper".

Denise, I just loved your springtime shots. I can't even feature growing much of that stuff here. Too wet. But one of the things I like most about gardening is that there really IS something for everyone, every climate, every soil. You just have to learn to see the beauty in the palette available to you. And you have learned your lessons well! Any chance we could persuade you show a shot of your bungalow? I'd love to see it, inside and out.

Maine bees? nyeah... nothin' like them g'damned honey makuhs to add some spahk to y'yahd... . Definitely want to see some before pictures, Saucy... your house is so cool.

And... back to dogs (which I hate). I don't think the likes of Ein, Wrecks, Zoe, and Phoebe are particularly "willful". I think they are perfect examples of animals that have been selectively bred to perform work for humans. Note, if you will, that all dogs mentioned above are herding or working dogs. They have to be independent thinkers to be able to do their jobs. And "independent" is the key to training them. The instructors we had when we took those classes were adamant about that; they told us the basics were going to try our patience and that daily practice was a necessity if we wanted to get anywhere. But, they confided privately, the toughest dogs to train are always the smart ones and they make the most enjoyable companions for those who like dogs (unlike myself). Our first instructor had a Bouvier, 'bug! So hang in there. And don't let DH sabotage the training by thinking he has it all "wired" when he clearly doesn't. ;)

Norma, I don't think there is a dog on the planet smart enough to understand that sticking your nose in skunk's ass isn't such a swell idea. It's funny now, but when I was scrambling around the driveway in my underpants trying to neutralize the smell on Rex's head it wasn't nearly as funny. ;)

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Yeah Chelone, but Katie's the only dog here who ever actually worked for a living. As you said earlier, it's human training that produces the results. I do applaud the efforts of those here who at least understand the needs of their dogs. What bugs me is when people see my well trained dogs and assume they are 'easy.' It's daily training, training as a way of life that does it. And greys are tough to train. Dannie was returned after two years and didn't know how to sit. It took 2 months of daily training to teach her that, which is ridiculous when compared to other breeds who sit naturally (greys don't).

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Hi all..
    I have reread and found that I neglected to answer some queries.( Now where did I hear that word before??)

Yes, Norma, that is S. prunifolia, aka Bridal Wreath in the US. A differant variety is called that in the UK ( at least that's what my Garden Plants book says ).

Chelone, my stomach has been too queasy the last day or so to cope with the dog puke! But I AM proud of your ablity to do that job. And kudos to the DH for the cleanup.

Pm2, I am thinking you may have as many 'off' days as I do. I hope YOU are feeling even better than yesterday. Your pics are great..espacially the side view of the crocus...:-)
    I don't think it is the meds causing my malaise, but I am not sure just what it is. Probably a combo... That is scary about your mom and the BP meds. Glad you loved the moss covered rock. I am partial to them...smile.

Woody, I didn't mean to ignore your story about your mom and her friend. It was special. I wish it had prompted me to write to someone. I used to, but it got increasingly harder and harder to do. My sis called my letters to her "books", they were so long, and chatty. It is easier for me to pick on the keyboard, and easier to correct the many mistakes that I make. :-(

Marie, if you didn't see my comment on my thread about Reed and the sounds of nature, I will repeat here that I too love them. I may be returning to my second childhood???
    I loved your report, and the mental image of him 'listening'.

I could be jealous of all the lovely seedlings, but I am not. I used to have my dinningroom filled with them every spring. I quit when the granddaughters came along, and have never looked back.

Yes, Marty, I remember the pics of the humongous daylily falling out of your car. It appears to enjoy it's new home...but with my experience with them, they are hard to kill! Glad to hear that your DH is doing good. Apparently he has a very good outlook, and sense of humor.

Yes, Chelone. I love the color of the Quince. I wish the others I planted around the place would 'take'. They can be so rampant in spots that they like.

Sue, so good to see you back. Sounds like a pretty nice getaway. Thanks for the encouragement on the pics.

T, I am so happy for you that the tree cutters left a buffer between your land and their activities. I hope it will remain that way. Strange about the snow. Weird weather all around!

Saucy, you asked about my meds. I am 'experimenting' with them. At least one of the 'side effects' was a missdiagnosis on my part. I had the same type of 'spell' when I hadn't taken the Lyrica for awhile. The itch went away also, and hasn't came back when I took more Tramadol, but I am avoiding taking one in the evening. That is when I seemed to have the most problem with itching, no rash, and no hives. Today my main woes are a queasy tummy and a bad headache! Drat!

Eden, I hope the sun is shinning on you today, too. :-)
    Your nursery tours sound like so much fun. Not a good idea for me though. I don't need anymore plants!
    My hopes and prayers are for your mom. It must be a very trying time for you all....

Michelle, I sure glad to hear that you are having sunshine, and that the mud is drying up. There is very little bare ground here to be muddy, even in the flowerbeds. Ofcourse, it would be muddy if any digging was done.
    I really dislike the new names for so many things. The Crayola thing is rediculous! Who is coming up with all this garbage? Can a body find crayons with 'normal' names?

Cynthia, is is almost useless to attempt to grow Magnolias here. The late frosts almost invariably kill the blooms. Some do succeed down in the lower elevations, and are gorgeous. Good luck on the cart for Katie.

I agree with the "before pictures" for every project. I failed to do that when Nolon build our house(s), and wish I had. I'm the world's worse to forget to do that when I am going to change something.

Wow! I think I have rambled on long enough!

Marian

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I've enjoyed..and benefited from everyones postings and dog comments. Just no time to add much. I'm busy training Phoebe indoors and out. I have no time to train DH now too. Yesterday I had to tell him she is my dog and to keep away from her. Not a good scene but I can't deal with him hitting her and pointing his finger at her and backing away. I am furious with him. grrrr! I'm into zero tolerance with Phoebe and it is working very well when I use it. She sits and waits for me at each doorway and outdoors too. She waits for food in a sit as well. She waits at the top and bottom of stairs until I have passed. All this in about 3 days. I'll admit it is not easy for me to say NO and apply all the techniques. With people I seldom say no, but use a gesture or facial expression, tighten my jaw...So it takes me time to get it right. Also the timing is crucial, as when snapping the leash. Also saying commands ONCE and not 3-4 times in a row. It does take practice, but I'm learning at the same speed as my pup! (When will my 3 years be up?)

This morning I took Ms Phoebe to the dump (where they give out HUGE dog treats) and later I bought myself shoes to use for training in mud and rain. I need to get new orthotics next week too.

OK, enough whining from me...
    Later! Thinking of ALL of you in your various circumstances. I hope to garden some next week. I'm sure Phoebe will be a great help. Hahahaha...
    'bug

Sponsored
GardenWise
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Award Winning Metro D.C. Landscape Architecture & Design Build Firm