Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_t

Idyll #310 One day closer to Spring!!

just_t
17 years ago

Hello!

Well, it is true.......we are one day closer to SPRING!!!

Let the joy abound and the smiles spread!

Comments (101)

• chelone
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jeez! I love the internet. LOL.

And my father would have been doubled over about this one, too. Truly, I can't think of anything more fitting for the 13th. anniversary of his death. I mean that! he was SO about laughing and good humor.

chuckling...

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

My cake for Ryan was not what I had hoped for-very basic due to not enough time to get more creative...he was happy anyway. It's a pteranodon on the cake. The funniest thing was that we used trick candles that relight several times-much laughing over that.
    {{gwi:153053}}
    {{gwi:153054}}
    {{gwi:153056}}
    In this photo below,Ryan was not in the mood to be a subject but I like the yin-yang between their faces/emotions that came through on this shot(normally Ryan's the life of the party).
    {{gwi:153058}}

Note: My Kitchenaid mixer is a dream(this was my first cake using it)-Ryan helped me make the frosting and it was so perfect/smooth because of the mixer-the cake too was phenomenal!!Unbelievable how the right tools really do make a difference.

Deanne I am off to pinch my fuchsias per your instructions: )

~Babs

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Babs, my clerodendron did make it through. How'd you root your cuttings, water or soil? I should take some. We used to have that parrot back in the 80s. Someone got it for Brad for his birthday one year. It looks like a stuffed animal right?

Brad and I are going out to grab a bite later. I'll have to grab a couple of straws while there. I don't think we have any hanging around the house. He'll love it, he'd fit right in with you guys. So how do you do it? Directions please Chelone, lol?

Marie, I know you can't wait to pat that belly! Is she feeling the baby kicking yet?

Deanne, I want the whole shebang...count em all. No laughing, promise. You'll just make me feel like I'm not the only crazy one :)

I was out earlier and stopped by Tellys. It's one of the nurseries I go to for tropicals. I got to talking to the employee working in the greenhouse and she started asking about how I overwintered everything, and I amazed myself at how much I've learned and know and 95% of it was from you guys here. She just kept asking more and more questions.

Sue, be careful that it's not attack OF the vaccuum. Remember those things have a way of turning on you when you're not looking.

It's turned out to be beautiful here. 46F and blue skies. It feels like spring, just a little brisk! Gotta run. Brad's home from racquetball and I'm starvin'!

Eden

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Babs, thanks for the pics! The cake it too cool! I so wish I had the talent to do something like that. And those boys of yours! Where oh where did they both get those beautiful eyes? And AJ's eyelashes! They are growing up to be so handsome and both look to be such sweeties too. Great pictures!

Eden

• chelone
    17 years ago

What a lovely thing to see today!

Yeah... the internet is a very good thing, indeed. REALLY!

Thank you for brightening what could have been a glum day! Dad would have been "all over" the cake, the theme, and the fun. And the "crook neck" straws... LOL!

:) Life and the JOY of it passes imperceptibly... in ways we are too oblivious to appreciate, in spite of our best intentions. What we do and how we laugh at it is what makes the biggest impressions. The things we "do" when we are least aware are the things that make the biggest impressions... . Sooo... be "stupid", be vibrant, and teach your kids how to be apologetic. And always, ALWAYS! be kind to animals. How we treat animals is the snapshot of how we treat our fellow man. REMEMBER THAT. Always.

Knock on this door and you'll be well treated... :)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

We never learned the straw trick...but my brother and I drove the parents WILD speaking in Donald Duck to each other. Made my Dad ANGRY, LIVID, etc, but we continued anyway. I'll have to do that on the phone next time DB calls....:-) Oh, and I can pull off my thumb too. Very useful trick in certain situations.

Blowing out the candles! Perfect shot Babs!
    Now ladies, if anyone needs an alligator shaped cake for an event, email me and I'll send instructions along. It was a HUGE success here many years ago. I ran out of green food coloring when I made it. Yes, I think my friend Lynn helped with that too. The teeth are corn candy.

Be kind to animals, well of course! Much easier than people sometimes Chelone. Why here, we even let insects outdoors rather than squishing them. Perhaps that's why I'm called bug? Well no, I do eliminate aphids and white fly! But if I think of my long gone father, it is thoughts of hiking in the Vosges mountains, picking blueberries, exploring castle ruins, observing wildflowers in the Alps. Not bad thoughts at all!

Today DH and I cleaned up a bookshelf filled with music things. Piano, flute, recorder, guitar, trombone music....such memories. But one heirloom we couldn't quite eliminate was our encyclopedia. There's something about books that you can't just throw them away. Anyone even remember what an encyclopedia is now that we have Google? Well, we have an ancient typewriter too!

Yes Eden, lots of movement but not a great watermelon in front so far. That will come though! She can hardly see her toes because her top has grown so much. She thinks that's what her boss is looking at and why he hasn't noticed the minimelon. ;-) So, 12 days til they move to their new home, 105 days until baby time. Time flies! There is much drama in their lives, but DD's husband is so full of pure joy that it should be bottled! Lucky girl.

KnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnit......
    'bug

• wendy2
    17 years ago

I was outside in short sleeves, cleaning up the front yard, admiring the blooming snowdrops and other bulb foliage beginning to poke up; the sun was shining and it was warm...AND THEN I WOKE UP! Seriously though, I was in the garden just last Wednesday, doing a little clean-up, dreaming and planning for the coming garden season...then Friday we got slammed! About 9" of snow here, then sleet and freezing rain, some minor outdoor flooding; a fairly nasty storm. Seems winter is getting the last laugh around here.

We had plans to go to the flower show in Boston early Saturday AM, but those plans were nixed since the roads were so slick. My girlfriend that I always go with lives an hour west of here, the drive would have been too treacherous for her. We'll do it next weekend. I know many of the exhibits are contrived and over-the-top, and the ticket price plus parking is a bit expensive, but seeing growing plants and smelling those dirt smells at this time of year - priceless.

Babs, what a fun cake! Your guys are cuties, such nice pictures. Chelone showed us the straw trick at Deanne's, and it was quite a hit with DH and DS around here the next day. Eden, you just take a straw (a bendy one works best), put one end in your mouth and the other end under your arm, and blow. Instant fart machine! DS was experimenting with different positions and strength of breath to bring forth a multitude of sounds.

'bug, I probably have less than 10 coleus. I only took a few cuttings as an experiment - figured I wouldn't feel as bad if I only killed a few. I'm actually pretty surprised that most of the plants I dragged inside for the winter seem to have survived. Even the plectranthus I took in at the last minute (Deanne, its the green one with the purple/blue flowers that you gave me last year - do you know the name??), is doing well - it may reach shrub size this year. I took some cuttings of the brugs in the fall in case the original plants didn't make it, but the plants seem to still be living; in fact one is trying to grow new leaves. Should I pot up the brugs cuttings now, or is it too early?

Cynthia, the peep surgery was a riot. I love Easter candy too, especially the Cadbury eggs - both the mini eggs and the filled ones. I have been resisting them for the most part this year, trying to be good.

Norma, your shot of the snow on the daffs is pretty. You are ahead of us here, I didn't even see daf foliage last week, only crocus and iris reticulata foliage.

Suzy, glad you got your tree put away! We usually pack all that stuff up on New Year's, but we had to do it early this year. DD got a drum set from her uncle, and that needed to go in the spot where the tree was (the bass drum thumping in her room, above the living room, got old real quick - now the drum set is 2 closed doors away from the living room!) and DS wanted the extra table that the village was set up on to lay out his Lego models for assembly.

I guess I should go throw something together for supper - Sunday is usually "clean out the refrigerator" night.

Later!

-Wendy

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Im nursing my 2pm beer, though it is close to 3, and have been catching up on all the chatty posts today !
    And what great (non-judgmental) garden companions are the animals. I loved Cynthias description of the greyhounds romping in the snow. My felines were in kitty-heaven today, snoozing in the sun on various piles of compost. The weekend here has been so very nice- I hate for it to end. We are supposed to get a bit of rain tomorrow , which is okayI held off watering anything today.
    All Dahlias have been planted and tagged with my new plant markers. Thursday is our outing to the SF Garden show..and, yesterday I made my first fuchsia purchase of the year..a single upright called "Shadow Dancer Violette", pink sepals/purple corolla. Only about 50 to go before I catch up with Deanne !!

Speaking of which, yes Deanne, Voodoo has very large flowers. Regrettably I have no pics. I moved it last year and the spot I put it in way way too shady so it barely bloomed. We have to be careful with siting them ; It often gets hotter here than they like . The morning sun seems to work best. Anyway, I moved it again this fall and I think I will buy a second one-if I can find one, in the event it doesnt recover well.

Eden, re your new wine wine glasses- I know exactly what you mean about glasses being too big around. I always test that when Im buying any sort of drinking utensil. I like the feel of skinny glasses in my hand much better. Wowee, 150 pots ..

Babs, I loved the black and white pic . Love black and white movies too.

Well, I need to get the BBQ set up and make a salad, so this will be it for now

Plus a few pics..they didn't turn out very well, it was overcast this morning when I took them , which was good, but they aren't very sharp.

This is a little blurry , but it is Geranium "Biokovo" in bloom today , with a few of the lilies poking up behind it.

{{gwi:153060}}

Pulmonaria and a few clematis leaves..

{{gwi:153061}}

Geranium maculatum "Elizabeth Ann" ..Love the foliage on this one

{{gwi:153062}}

Euphorbia "Tasmanian Tiger. This has been very slow to get going ...hoping this is the "leap" year

{{gwi:153063}}

Okay, later all
    Waves to everyone

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Fast one - the corned beef is done and the irish soda bread just came out of the oven (yes, we're a day late).

Thanks for all the good thoughts - the presentation was a success! No technical glitches, DD came along and was my "clicker", two people asked if I spoke to groups, and one woman said it was the best presentation she had seen - "you make it very REAL". Needless to say, I was very happy!

If you live in New England, please do not read this next part. I got out in the garden this afternoon and got a big chunk of cleanup done! And DH collected bombs, just in case anyone is tempted to admire the crocuses.

This was a busy group today - I didn't allot enough time to read everything! Dinner calls.

V.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Ah, plectranthus, one of my favorite things. Right up there with Agave :-) Here's 'Mona Lavender' from 2004. (Purple blooms left and right) That's the most common one sold as bedding plants Wendy. And P.Argentata in the white pot.

{{gwi:153064}}

I took a bunch of cuttings of P. 'hilliardae red' this summer - ok something broke the whole plant so I stuffed 6 stems in pots and they took. They're doing well in a dark spot of the gh. The blooms aren't red, they're lavender but are a little bigger than Mona Lavender and the leaves darker.

I think the straws,the slapstick humour are all stress relief kind of things. Very healthy! I don't have a straw so can't try this. But next time I go through McDonald's for a frappe, I'll ask for two straws.

That picture of Ryan with his face in his hands looks just like you Babs! Even the reddish bangs. Pteranodon cake is not 'basic.' Sheesh. I love the tummy twirl of frosting. Somebody had fun :-)

I found the pole for the paint roller. One step closer to a painted ceiling, but no contact today. I was dis-inspired when Eden reminded me of the neck and back pain. Congrats on finishing the office Eden. My camera's dead too, so I remember not to ask you for pictures. Maybe if you get a new camera, it will inspire me to get one too. By spring for sure, how else to share all of the surprises in gardens!?!

I love the Trudy arch Sue. I remember that picture and it's exactly what I want. Thanks for digging up the photo. I have no idea who would make something like that, and I already spent my 2007 home improvement budget on more fencing. So arch like that is not going to show up here this year. I'd say that's a $2-$3K arch no?

Thanks for sharing spring Kathy! Biokovo is a great little ground cover geranium. Terrific fall color and the leaves hold up well all winter here. I uncovered a bunch raking on Wednesday. So sad to look out there now. That Euphorbia is great looking.

Nice story made me cry. My sister was at work during the storm on Friday. She's in Mass, and think you guys got 9 inches of ice and snow? (Yep, checking Wendy's note and she confirms.) Driving home, she got to Holy Cross Hill in Worcester, and it was a rush hour mess with other cars that couldn't make it up or down. She pulled over hoping no one would hit her while she figured out what to do. She called her son. He came up with a friend driving a plow. Her son got in and drove her car, and the friend with plow got in front of her and drove in front all the way to her house. Having been in Mass traffic during awful snow storms, that little rescue really touched me. Good boy :-)

So Happy Paddy's Day week-end. I took Mr. Monty to an open house today. He wore his green cable knit sweater and a nametag that said 'Kiss Me, I'm Monty.' He got lots of kisses and didn't lift his leg in the store, so a successful outing.

Good night for chickie pie and green beans I think.

Hi to all! Cynthia

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Another weekend bites the dust. As far as the garden goes I keep saying "maybe next weekend". I am getting tired of having to bundle up in layers of fleece and goretex for my afternoon walk. Today I had the added joy of being buffeted by winter winds. Enough already.

Well, one thing no one can accuse us of around here is being lazy. All of us seem to be in motion all the time-gardening, baking, reading, kid's activities, knitting, the gym, pet stuff, cleaning.... I just had to break down and clean a few rooms today. Nothing is worse than being home midday when the sun is out...lol. Tom took it upon himself to scrub the tile floor in the kitchen and breakfast room. It's a big job that I never have time for. We're getting ready to strip the diningroom wallpaper and paint so the diningroom table is covered with those little paint sample color squares-a gazillion shades of blue. We did take a break and went out for some lunch just to get the stink off.

Cynthia, David and Monique have had some large copper pieces made by a craftsperson in NY state. I don't recall the name but maybe Monique will pop in and share. Someone like that could no doubt make an arch like you want. Probably not cheap though. We're looking for a teak "sofa" for the patio so I can make a livingroom like grouping. The prices I've seen are frightening. I want something very comfortable so we'll actually want to sit on it and read or hang out. The cheaper stuff I've tried has shallow seating and straight backs-not all that comfortable.

Babs I'll have to hire you as a consultant next time I need a cake. Nice job-the kids look happy as they should.

So the Boston Flower Show is this week? Hmmm...maybe I'll take a day off...

Kathy, I have Geranium Biokovo in a few places in the garden. Great plant-looks good all season even after the flowers fade. Your pictures are making me anxious. Usually I have early bulbs by now and don't see a sign of anything-not even foliage. Maybe this week...

Time to get ready for bed. "See" you all tomorrow.

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Wow, oh wow, BEAUTIFUL photographs!!! Thanks Kathy for spring shots. You are going to LOVE the Shadowdancer Violette. I have 'Betty' and 'Peggy' and the 'Peggy' is the bloomingist plant I've ever seen. It is an amazing and beautiful fuchsia that I adore. I've been looking for 'Violette' as I'd love to collect all in that series. Your geraniums are gorgeous!

Babs, those photographs of your boys are priceless. What handsome children you have, those eyes! Amazing. Great cake. you are such a talented person.

Cynthia, how beautiful! I grew P. 'Mona Lavender' last year for the first time and I'm in love with it. It really is a beauty. I had some cuttings but they wound up with mites I couldn't eliminate so I got rid of them in December sometime but I want to find that plant again this year. ~~ Wonderful snowstorm rescue story! ~~ we got 12" here, can you believe it?

Wendy, That is probably P. 'Mona Lavender'. So glad you still have yours. ~~ You can still wait a bit on potting up those brug cuttings. They start growing like weeds the second they hit the potting soil so depending on how much room you have to let them grow you can pot them now or wait a bit longer.

OK Eden, here goes, and I don't think this is a totally accurate count because I have so much stuff in so many places I might have missed a few things (LOL) I have 180 coleus (this doesn't count the new cuttings, only what I have potted up) 80 fuchsias and probably twenty-five or so of those are in 12" or larger pots (again I'm not counting unpotted cuttings)I also have 80 or so assorted Begonia,Iresine, Plectranthus, Coprosma, Abutilon (at least a dozen large Abutilons)Crosandra, Brugmansia, Alternanthera and Acalypha. I have 65 orchids, and five lovely, huge old hoyas. Now the dahlias, cannas, callas and colocasias are all in tubs in peat in the basement and I'm probably not going to pot them up for a while yet but there are at least fifty clumps of dahlias, ten of cannas a couple colocasia and a dozen calla lilies. Phew! I've got to be outta my mind! Don't ever tell Doug these numbers. te he... But, just think about how much all that would cost if I were going to go out and buy it all new for the season. Couldn't do it.

V. so glad to hear your presentation was a success! Good for you!

Bug, lol you kept the encyclopedia. I still have a couple of my Time-Life encyclopedias that I just can't part with.

OK I'm crashing. All that counting of plants has left me exhausted.

Nitey night
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

9:30 am and whiteouts here....
    'bug

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ugh 'bug.......more snow?! I hope it doesn't stick around long and that this will be the last snowfall before spring. What are the chances that this could be true (last snowfall before spring)?

I enjoyed envisioning Kenzie singing the 'Wheels on the Bus' for her grandma. James doesn't really sing us any songs that I can remember, but he did use to love to do the Itsy Bitsy Spider with hand movements. Saturday he came across his cowboy hat so he decided he wanted to ride Boo. He has a hat collection here so that he can be a fireman, building contractor, mailman, baseball player, police officer, timber faller or a cowboy as the mood strikes. Apparently the mood was 'cowboy'. So, I put a halter on Boo (poor horse, lol) and tied the lead rope to turn it into reins, DH placed James on Boo's back, walking alongside James and holding him on (bareback) while I led Boo around the pasture. James kept hollering YEE-HAW, lol. It was so funny. He kept wanting poor old Boo to go faster, although the grandparents weren't too keen on Boo deciding to obey him. Poor Boo just wanted the noisy little tyke off of his back so he could go back to grazing. Boo is very docile and obedient, but his main goal in life is to graze and don't be messing with his daily agenda. ;o) James enjoyed his ride and then went on to begin to build birdhouses with Gramps. Grandkids are fun.

I have to make a trip into town today as James forgot his boots here (black rubber boots with construction equipment on them). He brings them so that he can go 'find mud' with Gramps and stomp in it. Well, we forgot to take them when we returned him to his mom and he had a bit of a melt down when he realized that they were still here. He was in tears when he called me, telling me that the boots were at my house and would I please bring them to him NOW? Nope, not bringing them then, but I did promise him I'd bring them to him today. He wasn't happy but it is a hour round trip and he's lucky I love him enough to make a special trip to get those darn boots to him..... ;o)

Well....my train of thought has been derailed by an empty coffee cup so I'll take care of that and wish you a happy Monday. Only 4 more days until the weekend (I heard that from DH as he went out the door to work this a.m.)

T.

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

I was so miffed last night-I had a post to finish up and suddenly the electicity went out-the weather was quiet so I don't know why it happened. It naturally happened while I was posting and never happened again the rest of the night.

Eden I rooted the clero stems in water.

So I do remember that I oooed and aaahed over Cynthia's garden steps-I know I will need to find plectranthus this year. That urn is just perfect there too.All of it is beautiful!

And Kathy's pics amazed me-I have those exact plants but they are invisible now! It always amazes(I'm easily amazed?)that in our climate we go from bare ground to full gardens in a matter of months. I would guess that your geraniums stay evergreen in winter? Of course I also have the deer removing most of my above ground growth--maddening.

T that's so fun that James actually HAS a horse to even use for his fantasy play-that's really neat!

'Bug you're contagious-we have driving snow too: ( I thought I heard a predicition of RAIN showers,not the white kind.

Well, work calls...my clinic is a bit isolated from the rest of the school....should I take a straw with me? lololol-well but the gym teacher's office is within earshot; )

And that snow is falling harder: (

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Sorry to read that so many of you are dealing with snow. Im happy to report that we dont have any. I took a stroll around the gardens and noticed tulips that are about 2" tall.

Im happy to report that one of the valances is pretty much complete. These will be stapled to a 1 x 3 board and attached with L brackets, which I dont have yet. Its going pretty good.

Great cake Martha oops I mean Babs. :o)

T, you and Jim sound like fun and indulgent grandparents the best kind to have. The hats sound like fun. Ive been collecting things Ive found around the house for a dress up trunk for Kenzie. Hats, gloves, old jewelry. I think Ill have to add some high heels, as they are always fun. This weekend she was really into babies and tractors.

Cynthia, your steps are breathtaking. I dont believe Ive seen them before.

Deanne, I cant imagine having enough time to take care of that many plants. Wow, those are impressive numbers.

Id better get back to it.

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

We woke up to snow here too, about an inch total. It should melt this afternoon though. I hope so, I'm sick of looking at it.

Deanne, I bow down to you. Those are very impressive totals.

T, loved the story of James and Boo!

Cynthia, I enjoyed your story too. Son's can be sweet like that:) I'm overwintering a p. mona lavendar that I got thanks to seeing that same picture of yours once before. I'm wishing your camera was working, I'd love to see Monty all dappered up for St. Paddys.

Kathy, thanks for indulging our need for spring with your pretty garden pictures!

I'm cleaning today, what fun! I'd so much rather be outside gardening.

Eden

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

An *interesting* day. Apparently my clinic which is on the bottom floor of school was flooded with sewer sludge...! I had to play 'clinic' in the main office instead. The pump had a malfunction and what goes down must come up? They almost sent the kids home but the pump was able to be reactivated so all was OK and it didn't affect the areas where the kids use. I hope I can have my clinic back in *disinfected* order tomorrow-I know I will be paranoid that germs will still be lurking. I'm glad I don't have to do the cleaning. Yuck. Double yuck. Lol Ryan's K-garten teacher told me he was a bit distressed when he learned the clinic was flooded-he worried that I had drowned(good grief, in sludge? blecch). He didn't know that this all happened before we all got to school. : )

Eden did you get ice/sleet too? It was terrible going to work at 11. It was like a slushie was dumped from the heavens and it froze when it hit the ground. By afternoon everything was melted. 60F can't get here quick enough-they said we'd be warm by Wed.

I'M NOT CLEANING: ) : )it's already clean![that won't last long but I'm enjoying it as long as I can]

Michelle I hope you plan to show us your valances????

T did you take James his boots?

It sounds like someone is knitting...GB?

Time to scare up some chili...

~Babs

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Yes Babs, three projects going simultaneously. Knit Knit Knit! DH said last night that "only one project is the sign of an idle mind".... ;-)

Everything is white/grey/black here. Supposed to warm up though. I have many errands to do, but no vehicle. I hope I can scare one up tomorrow morning and get banking etc accomplished. That *%&$#* mortgage with the "kids" is still dragging itself out. Grrr. Durned bank! The courier has not yet delivered the papers sent from Alberta's branch last Thursday.

Saw a muskrat in the creek yesterday, cardinals today.

I was thinking that Deanne collects fuchsias and coleus of many hues...and that I look at yarn colours in a very similar way. Others collect fabric that way as well. No doubt Chelone and Babs fall into that category, maybe Michelle too.:-)

Today DD broached the subject of baby names! I've been pussy footing around this topic, afraid of saying the wrong thing. They muttered something about seeing the baby before naming it. But now they seem to be making tentative steps forward. We shall see! They even asked for opinions! I'm not sure I'll agree, but I already had my turn, it's up to them I guess.

Wish Eden would come clean here too....
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

I'm still not done cleaning. I had to rearrange things in my living room because I got Bella the cutest little chair and had to find a place for it where she'd have enough light for reading and a view of the tv for watching her dvds.

Baby names...Jennifer and Megan kept telling me that they liked the name Tallulah for a girl when Meg was pregnant. I was never sure if they were kidding. I came up with Isabella real fast though and that's what Meg ended up going with. Just think instead of Bella we would be calling her Lulu. If she would have been a boy it was going to be Gabriel, Gabe for short.

Babs, we didn't get any rain or ice this morning. It was too cold, so just snow. It's all melted now.

Michelle, can't wait to see the valance. Babies and tractors, what a combination. Kenzie's a girl with well-rounded interests, lol.

Break's over, I'm still doing housework but I'm feeling ready for bed. In less than 24 hours we can say "It's Spring!".

Eden

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I keep expecting Seymour or something to appear on the list, but guess what I saw today! "Eden"! Nothing is definite of course.

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rainy afternoon but if I have to chose between this and that white stuff so many of you are dealing with----I chose this one. ;o)

Yes, Babs, I did deliver the boots and got a big hug. I ran some errands with them so that I could do the heavy lifting and help with James. One of the errands was for him to get a haircut. He was such a big boy about it. At first he wasn't looking very happy but the fellow cutting his hair interacted wonderfully with him and had him smiling big. The stylist told him 'you are a happy boy, stay that way forever, okay?' and James' reply was 'Mommy, I'm a happy boy and I'm going to be happy forever'. She said 'just stay happy until after nap time'. Apparently nap time is something he no longer feels he needs and his mother knows that many days he does 'need' a nap. :o)

Yep, tis good to be the grandparent.

Eden, James has one of those chairs here, except his is fabric. I told DH that we needed to go get 3 more for the twins and the new baby.......have them lined up. ;o) (just kidding---but then again, it is only fair....) James does sit in his quite often, but it takes an adult to recline it and to set it back upright (safety feature). He has his own little side table/book stand so that he has a place to put his water glass (still a sippy cup when on my carpeting) and his book. Too cute. I bet Bella will enjoy hers and look darling sitting in it. (I like the faux leather better than fabric).

Well, DH is working on our taxes so I'd better go see what I can do to help. (Get a job?) ;o)

T.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Spring?? Where? It's #$%^&*#@ snowing here again! Tomorrow...windy and upper 30s...could get as low as 10 F tomorrow night. Maybe tomorrow I'll think to get a picture of the two Adirondack chairs half buried in snow on the front lawn. Wake me up when spring really arrives.

Zoe went for her final test this morning-a liver function test. If that comes back OK then I guess we try steroids. Since her current personality is rather endearing I go back and forth with just leaving her alone, provided there is nothing wrong with her that is endangering her health, and trying to bring the more relaxed and obedient Zoe back.

Work was a grind again today but at least there was no sludge. I'm hoping that won't be the theme for the week. Tonight I got home just in time to get something tossed together for dinner before Tom had to head out to an 8:15 appointment MRI for his shoulder. Unfortunately for him the actual appointment was for 8:15 this morning. Men...need I say more...lol.

Short list of good baby names...Mary, Michelle, Marie, Cynthia (Cindy for short), Laura, Susan, Suzy, Teresa, Barbara, Liz, Deanne, Kathy, Monique, Marlene, Taryn, Drema, Dottie, Norma, Eileen...lol. Good, solid names. Why look further?

Nite all!

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Good Monday evening to all, I came home today and on my garden stroll I saw that one of my bearded Iris has buds, yippee !

Cynthia, I must say that the pic of your steps is too lovely ! I can just see the greyhounds descending elegantly, and posing dramatically at the bottom (though Im sure the reality is far different , lol ) I had Plectranthus Mona Lavender last year too, and I foolishly left it out all winter. Its quite dead. I remember where I bought so I will re purchase and be sure to bring it in next winter but next winter ?? we mustnt think of that .

T, not only 4 more days till the weekend, but1 day to spring !

Babs, the biokovos do stay somewhat green all winter- they start pumping out new leaves pretty quick after the fall color dwindles. But most of the others disappearJohnsons Blue, Ann Folkard, Rozanne etc. Nary a leaf to be seen. The sanguineums stay evergreen too, but look really ratty so I usually cut them way back anyway. Yuck-o on the sewage sludge..

Michelle, I second Babs request for pictures of the valance.

Deanne, glad to hear that someone has experience with Shadowdancer Violette-I might have known the undisputed Fuchsia queen of the idylls , lolI have my fingers crossed that it is mite resistant.

I saw in the paper tonight more airport snafus due to the weather in the east. Bad deal.

I was thinking today as I was sitting down to post that I get to have two springs this year my own which is happening now, and then the enjoyment of sharing the spring of the New England and Midwest Idyllers.

My internet connection is too d*#m slow tonite, and I cant open Edens links. Grrrr. I bet my DS is doing a file transfer. He went off to teach his weekly guitar lesson, so I cant huff and puff. Jeesh.

So here is another pic !

This is the container-to be. I am stepping up to the plate here ! I surely don't want to be the container dunce of the Idylls! This is Phormium "Toby" , Heuchera "Key Lime Pie" and the aforementioned Shadowdancer Violette. Need two more plants . Thinking a trailing Lantana or Tapien Verbena over the edge and a player to be named later.

{{gwi:153065}}

Yoo hoo Martie !
    And Hi to PM2..
    Woody ?
    Honey ?

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I don't want to make you all feel bad, but we had sunshine and 50 degrees today. I picked up sticks and went on poop patrol, moved the pot that held the Alberta spruce and Christmas decorations from the front door to the holding area and went for a walk. I keep telling myself that we will probably see snow yet before the "real" spring.

Eden, cute chair. Kenzie has a little brown suede recliner, but she just loves the kids rocker that we have here. She likes to "rock a baby"

Kenzie was almost Sydney. When DD told me that was the plan, all I could think of was Rick's bald uncle Sid. LOL

Me and fabric? LOL I really don't enjoy sewing at all, its just that I am very picky about curtains and can never find anything that I like.

I'd better head back to the sewing machine.

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Funny story...I got my mom and dad a Netflix subscription as part of their Christmas gift. My dad's had nothing but trouble with it, he had a hard time redeeming it, then lost his password etc. Let's just say computers aren't his strong suit, lol. He's finally gotten comfortable with it and started ordering movies. So he chose one he thought was called Stocks and Bonds. He and my mom sat down last night to watch it and it was actually called Stocks and Blondes and was a little racier than what they're used to. They ended up not watching it, lol. I laughed so hard today when he was telling me about it. I think I could write a sitcom based on the two of them sometimes.

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

How about:

Chloe, Zoe, Katie,Charlotte, Abraham, Audrey,Luke,George, Meetoo, Rahji(sp), Dannie, Monty, Vita, Oliver, Saul. Tired, I can't remember any more.

Rain and 54F right now, but the high to day was 45. It gets warmer at night, pollution factor.

I love the count down to spring Eden! I wish you had found that a month ago. Wow, Lulu-Bell has nicer furniture than I do. (That doesn't say much.)

My sister went in for surgery to remove a brain tumor this morning. It was supposed to be started at 8AM. She finally went into the OR at 8:30PM. Her kids are exhausted. What a way to stress out a patient too. She'll be in surgery until 2 or 3 AM. Hey Sue, her insurance approved a hospital stay of 3 days. At least they approved it, guess her symptoms were bad enough? I ordered lots of pretty hats :)

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hugs to you Cynthia...
    Kathy in Napa

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Oh Cynthia, I'll be sending every good and positive thought I can for her tonight. And I'll be thinking of you too.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Since I look at the clock every hour on the hour all night anyway, I'll be thinking of your sister each time tonight Cynthia. I sure hope you get back to us early with news tomorrow because my computer will be off all afternoon. Giant hugs to you both!

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cynthia, you & your sister will be in my thoughts and prayers.

T.

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Cynthia, I'll be thinking of you and your sister today. Hope all went well.

Eden, LOL, wouldn't you have liked to be a "fly on the wall" when your parents started watching that movie?!

Kathy, keep the pics coming!

Sue, I think Spring is stuck in an airport somewhere; can't get a flight to the northeast.

-W

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

We've got a very windy day on tap here and you'd never know spring is supposedly here. Last night I went to Chunkys to see that 'Wild Hogs' movie. It was pretty stupid but immensely entertaining, especially because I was with my dear friend Deb U. and we both were having a couple margaritas. We both needed a good laugh and the evening fit the bill perfectly. Her DH came along as our designated driver and I think he found us more entertaining than the movie. Anyway, a funny movie with a good friend, one of life's simple pleasures.

Cynthia, hope all went well with your sister's surgery. Please check in and let us know when you get a chance.

Wendy, you are too funny, stuck in an airport! ROTFLOL...
    Have you seen the forecast for today and tonight???? winds gusting to over 40mph! Good grief...

Eden, I laughed until my sides ached when I read that story about your parents and that movie.

Babs, Eeeeeuuuuu... Sludge. sounds pretty gross. Hope they sterilize the area for you.

Sue, please thank Tom for me for the great laughter. I had to call up Doug and read your post to him but for some reason he didn't think it as funny as I did.... te he.

Michelle, I'm looking forward to seeing your completed project. ~~ LOL "impressive numbers" actually I was thinking they are pretty stupid numbers. Way too much to take care of and then that assumes that I'm going to put them outdoors in pots and water them all summer. I'm thinking I should have been happy I lost a few plants but what did I do but order replacements. There really must be something wrong with me.

Kathy, that is going to make a really pretty container. I love that phormium. My Shadowdancer 'Peggy' wound up with spider mites on it last summer and I treated it with a Safer miticide and it took care of the problem. I was kind of expecting to see a recurrance of them when I got the plants out of dormancy but so far so good. This year is the year of the indoor aphids. I still can't figure out where they are coming from.

T. too cute about James and Bo. What a dedicated grandma to go and deliver those boots. I LOL about the nap time, can you imagine how lovely it would be if you had someone insist that you take a nap in the mid-afternoon? LOL

OK time to run and get this day started. I've got a ton of cuttings to pot up and need to fill a couple orders. Have a great day everyone.
    Deanne

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good morning, the twins will arrive in just a few minutes, but Cynthia & her sister were on my mind and I wanted to check in to see if there was any word yet.

I hope the day goes well for everyone. Loved seeing the birthday boy (and brother), the birthday cake (too clever!!), to read about Stocks and Bonds (oh how funny that would have been to see their faces when they realized what the show was really about), to hear of spring springing up, to imagine two friends giggling over a silly movie and having margaritas........the sewing, the painting, the MRI appointment that was moved by the receptionist and not told to the patient (hey, I'm sticking up for Tom, LOL).....well, the list could continue for a long time.

Hope those dealing with the germs are feeling better (dang cold hangs on FOREVER!!). I am still congested and coughing but I think it is easing up.

Guess that is it from here......I'd better get myself ready as the day begins real soon.

T.

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Note to self - Never, ever book Spring on Jet Blue again.

Mother Nature

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Just a quick stop in to send Cynthia's sister/family my thoughts and prayers. Not an easy thing to see a parent/sister go through. ((Cynthia))

I hope I'm not in trouble!I realized last night as I was falling asleep that I threw away a soiled shirt belonging to a student who had a bloody nose. We have to bag it up and slap a bio hazard sticker on it and send it home...well I sent it to the rubbish instead. Hopefully this parent will be understanding...it was just a whacky different kind of day yesterday.
    Deanne if I don't smell chlorine bleach wafting from my clinic I won't enter! I love our custodian SHE; ) is great and I know she'll have the place spanking clean-I just think it's natural to imagine globular paramecium lurking in the shadows when you hear the word 'sludge' ya know?

If I had a haz-mat suit I would wear it-the office would get a good laugh.

V?

Sorry I need to go-but I'll try to finish my thoughts later.

Have a great day that resembles spring.

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Cynthia, how awful for your DS and family, why the big delay? I hope all went well and that she will be able to recover quickly.

I believe spring is laid over in the midwest. We will have another day in the 50s and then up to the 60s, though it will be windy today.

Eden, I can identify with the parental sitcom. We actually have done a number of skits at our annual campout about my parents. When my mom asks why we just tell them that they provide us with so much material. They are so fun.

Babs, I meant to tell you what adorable boys you have.

Kathy, the container has a great start. H. Keylime Pie is a favorite of mine.

Michelle

• chelone
    17 years ago

Wow, Cynthia, I sure hope all went well for your sister. What a worry that must be for you and your family! I know how I felt when my friend underwent the DBS surgery for her Parkinson's. I'm thinking of you. Good that you have lots of animals to pat and hug.

I am, however, DEVASTATED that on one suggested: Vera, Spencer, Florence, Polly, or Rex for baby names... not. I came very close to being christened Wilhemina (for a maternal aunt who died young and tragically)... I'd have been Willa for short. I actually like that name, very much, but instead I was named for a grandmother, a great-grandmother, and an aunt. I like that name, too! What a weighty thing to consider... considerably more difficult that selecting a vanity license plate. :)

Bright blue sky, strong westerly winds, and the ocean is like a bathtub. High pressure in firm control. Cold, I'm growing weary of it, but it won't last much longer. Hang in there, Sue! (great story from Cynthia... made me smile and nod in appreciation of similar stories that affected "me and mine" over the years).

I had a nice day at work, today. Just the boss and me. She's finally feeling better, installed an awning that looked GREAT, and we had a nice time chatting and joking. It was nice to see the person I like so much. We touched on the topic of the coming chaos (aka "busy season") and that was enough for today. It was a good day.

I have to do the dishes now.

But I hope there will be more funny, personal stories, and pretty garden shots.

Maybe even PM2, Taryn, and Martie will resurface?

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Well Sue, Tom is off the hook. It isn't men only. Today DD checked her calender to attend her legal hearing for a traffic ticket she felt she didn't deserve. Trouble was, she wrote it down for Tuesday the 19th. Obviously she missed it yesterday, so she has to pay $300 and collect many points on her license. All for not stopping at a stop sign. Trouble is, she did stop. A full stop too. Anyway, I guess both men and women can make errors about appointments.

We are expecting warmer and warmer weather this week and some showers alternating with sun. Looks like a fine weekend ahead, should i live so long. Lots to accomplish before then.

Ciao!
    'bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Cynthia, how is your sister? Good thoughts have been winging her way since I read about her surgery last night.

Marie, when I was in college one of the most heinous traffic crimes imaginable in the eyes of the campus police (fondly referred to as Barney Fyfes) was rolling through stop signs. They use to lay in wait in a cow pasture in the pitch dark by the most remote intersection on campus. It was a joke but to this day I still look around before rolling through stop signs...lol.

I'll take all your words for it that spring is here. Tonight I took my walk outside-another gore tex and fleece experience complete with the gusting winds. It doesn't look like we're going to get any seasonal weather until at least Thursday. I was looking forward to maybe taking a day off this week to do garden work but it would be a waste at this point.

Wendy, lol on the airline thing. We had a bunch of people from work at a dealer meeting in Savannah last week. They were supposed to fly home on Friday night and ended up choosing to rent a car and drive 18 hours. Otherwise they were told they would have to wait until at least Monday for a flight. Ridiculous if you ask me and one of the main reasons we're driving to NC next month.

Okey dokey, time for bed. My financial results presentation went well today but getting ready for these things always stresses me out so I'm wiped. Tomorrow I'm going to reward myself by placing my Fairweather Gardens order.

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Happy happy spring everyone ! Appropriately, today on my after-work garden inspection I observed aphids on the roses, and the spittle bugs have arrived--do you eastern folk get spittle bugs ? DD and I strategized about which wines to take on the Master Gardener bus to the SF Garden Show on Thursday.
    I need to work on my fantasy baseball team strategy for our annual draft day which is in a couple of weeks, so I must cut this short tonite.

Best to all, especially to Cynthia ...

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Well it's finally here. Welcome spring 2007! We've been waiting for you.

Cynthia, how did the surgery go? I've been thinking of your sister and you all day.

Marie, Count me in as someone who got a rolling stop ticket many years ago back in my college days. I'm thinking it was around $25 back then though.

I'm tired and ready to turn in so just a short post from me tonight.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Good Morning, It's a gray and rainy day. Just what I don't need. Sunshine and warmth, that's what I'm longing for. Maybe we'll have that by the weekend I hope. Megan's still having a hard time. I talked to her last night and she's having bad headaches when she's working, body aches too. I wish there was more I could do to help her and that she could hurry up and get over this and feel better. Bella will be here this afternoon while Megan works. I haven't seen her since Saturday and I miss her. A new Baby Bug mag came in the mail yesterday so we'll read that today and I'm working with her on some new puzzles that are a little more advanced. She loves her puzzles! Hope you all have a good day. I'll check in again later.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

OK, where is everybody? I have two posts in a row, last night and this morning. It feels like I'm talking to myself...lol! Hello! Anybody out there???

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ARUGH, I just lost my post!!!

T.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

You guys are all too kind and sweet and sensitive. I tried to slip that in there to get it off of my chest and you all read it. Thanks for your kind thoughts. The good news is that I painted that bedroom ceiling Monday night :-) It seemed easy too, (not that I'm signing up for more or anything.) If you think about the potential to lose your ability to do what you want, painting ceilings in the here and now seems easy. I'm just happy to be home with my dogs and my cats and my life. Trying to figure out what to do for my sister.

It's spring! But at 33F doesn't feel like it.

Best, Cynthia

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cynthia, thank you for popping in to let us know about your sister. I hope circumstances allow a full recovery.

T.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Wow, quiet around here, no Eden you aren't talking to yourself. So sorry that Megan still isn't feeling well. I know DD had Mono once and it took her ages to get better.

Well you can add a couple dozen to the plant numbers here. I spent the day potting up rooted cuttings. Then I've been taking all the fuchsia out of storage and many of them had six to twelve inch soft growths off the woody stems. Well that growth is all to leggy so I had to cut it all off and ask me if I threw it away??? Nope, its all in water. Now if they all root (and why wouldn't they) I'm going to have about forty new fuchsias....ROTFLOL... My variegated fuchsia 'Sunray' has put out some beautiful growth and I'm going to get quite a few new plants out of that one. Here is a pic of it from last summer.
    {{gwi:153067}}

Kathy have a great time at the flower show! Let us know what you chose for wine for the bus trip. Here is a pic of Shadowdancer 'Peggy' from last summer.
    {{gwi:153070}}

Hello to everyone, I've got to run for now, get to the gym and finish potting up some cuttings then take Luke to the vet for a recheck from his dental two weeks ago. If he loses any more teeth we'll be calling him the 'Toothless Wonder' instead of 'Cover Cat'

Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Spring, woo, hoo! Rainy and gloomy but expected to hit 60 today. It is getting drier, but still too wet to be in the gardens.

Deanne, those fuchsias are really something. Do we need to have an intervention? LOL

Eden, mono is a tough one. It has to be especially tough when you have a 2 year old as it does require lots of rest.

Twice yesterday I had a cop behind me with flashing lights, fortunately neither one was "after" me. Whew!

Ill add to the name game with Jaden, George and Meanie. Well, maybe Meanie might not be an appropriate baby name ;o)

I hope spring finds each one of you today.

Michelle

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Just a pop in here,

T sorry you lost your post. I really, really hate it when that happens.

Cynthia, thinking of you and your sister...

Michelle, you bet, I probably do need an intervention. LOL... I can't resist a pretty plant. If I keep this up I'll be shipping out plants again this spring. That 'Sun Ray' is really enormous even as a dormant plant I think it's in a 14" pot right now (might be bigger) Anyway I want to get one of those very large urns at Home Goods for it this year. What a beauty!

OK must take his nibs to the kitty doctor to check on his teeth. I'll be yelled at again for having an obese kitty. I'm really at a loss as to what to do with that boy.

Later
    Deanne