Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_t

Idyll #309 Anticipating Joy (or Spring)

just_t
17 years ago

I loved Ei's Anticipating Joy so much that I thought it was a great Idyll Tydll......so, here we go!

Comments (101)

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Deer? Who said deer? Nine of them just strolled across the front. The dogs were quite enthused to see them, and demonstrated that by pressing their wet noses all over the glass door that DH had just cleaned. Fortunately, the deer stayed well away from any garden plantings. We haven't seen numbers like that for some time.

It was a perfectly lovely day today, but I had to work all day at a customer's so no outside enjoyment for moi. I totally disliked changing the clocks today because I had to get up in the middle of the freakin' night and was too danged tired to enjoy the extra hour of sunlight when it finally rolled around. Chelone, can I share some of your whine?

Mary, what great news! I'm so glad that the violin teacher worked out, and i think the kids did great as well.

Babs, my DH's uncle knew he was terminal for many months, and went over in great detail how he wanted his memorial handled. It was such a relief for his family when he did pass that they had no such decisions to make. I hope your SIL calms down a little.

I have to accomplish one thing before bed, so I shall call it a post!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

It would be insensitive of me to mention our temperatures here today ..I was sorely tempted to move all the begonias back outside , but resisted. Late frosts are still a possibility . They go out for sure in three more weeks, and that includes the plumerias too. No rain is in the forecast for this week, and temps will stay warm so they say . I am going full speed ahead on planting the dahlias. One of the things I love about spring is that sense of discovery..you go outside and it seems like every day something new is happening. I was looking at my Dicentra yesterday (which I swear was not there last week) and looked up and noticed the Japanese maple is leafing out. DS went to Yosemite for a couple nights, so I am having a bit of solitude and BBQing a pork tenderloin.

Mary, way cool that you got yourself a violin teacher-and one who sounds supportive and helpful to boot. And what a busy day you had ! No wonder you were exhausted..I saw Zuckerman a couple years ago , as part of a chamber music series I subscribe to. We get some decent soloists sometimes in our little town.

Chelone, count me in as another who is sleeping on an ancient mattress. Every time I stay in a hotel I find myself pulling back the sheets to look at the label. I had a very comfy mattress in Chicago last summerI know Im looking at at least 7 or 8 hundred bucks to replace the piece of c**p I have right now if I shop cleverly.. I swear Im going to do it this year. Mattresses have come a long way since 1975. I also need a new refrigerator. Its all a matter of prioritization , right ? And good job on the underwear drawer ..but what about the pediments ???
    Sorry about your friendmy late DH was a smoker too. Part of the process is the anger ..how dare you not quit ? How dare you expose all of us to your smoke ? Dont expect me to take care of you when you get cancer ! (which of course you do anyway..what else can you do ?) Anyway, I hope your friend is in place where he can beat it. Some people do .

My DH and I collected antique clocks, I have purchased one more since he passed away, and now have 8. This adds a dimension to the spring-ahead, fall back.! Spring ahead is easy; but for fall back I have to go around and stop all of them for an hour and then re-start. Do not spend the night here if you are bothered by gongs !

OK time, to clean the kitchen.. Its almost 7:30pm and the house is still wide open ..

Kathy in Napa

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Hi folks, just thought I'd stop by on my way to bed. Time off for my walk, workout and meals aside I've been doing work, work all day. Yuck. On the bright side it was too mucky to work outside anyway.

We sprung for a Tempurpedic mattress a few years ago after Tom spent the night in some swanky golf resort on business and claims he got the best night sleep of his life. It is very comfortable but I rarely get a chance to sleep on it all night because of the snoring...lol.

Off to stuff earplugs in my ears and give it a try...

Sue

• chelone
    17 years ago

I'm going to give work a try to today. I'm still coughing, but I can't stay home forever, so I'll see how it goes. It's showing a deep orange-pink over the horizon (I see it through the trees).

Kathy, the pediments are just out of reach for me. I can't move the the extension ladder alone (heavy and awkward) and the 8' step ladder can't be used because there are snowbanks where it must be set up. Perhaps the helpmeet will help me this afternoon. You're right! they've been bugging me for awhile now... the boxwood has that "windburned" look. :( We have 3 older clocks, too. A tall case clock that the helpmeeet's grandfather made in the '20s (he was a master cabinetmaker), a marble mantel clock, and a cuckcoo that returned from Germany with one of Mum's aunts in the early '30s. All desperately need a cleaning/oiling; the "grandfather" has never sounded the chimes in our home. I love chimes, lovely background noise. Have you read, "Longitude"? I haven't (want to very much) but received the 2 disc DVD for Christmas; it's great.

I believe my hydrangeas are going to be without blooms this year. I am very sad about that, because they were so pretty last year. In all, this winter has been a very tough one for me. I'll be relieved to see the end of it.

Good to know I'm not alone in the mattress department! our "Perfect Sleeper" ain't so perfect, anymore. We have two other sets in the house from a local (REALLY) manufacturer and that's where I'll go. May as well pay to keep fellow state residents working as anyone else! I have to get some prices some time soon.

The sky is now a flaming pink and I have to get on my pony and ride. Have a fine day, friends!

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning

Suzy - your dinner sounds delicious - I was tempted to stop by:0) Hope DH enjoyed it.

My DH would join many of you in dreaming of a new mattress. I'm not at all sure it's the root of his sleep problems - he's going into the sleep clinic in a couple of weeks to see what the doctors come up with. I'm fortunate that I can sleep absolutely anywhere - in fact when the snoring/tossing and turning become too bad and our guest room is in use, I decamp to a sleeping bag on the floor and am just as comfy.

Chelone - I too applaud your accomplishment in the undies department. Many of mine are long past their prime, but to ditch them would leave me in short supply. Is gray an "in" color this year? By the way does spicy food help your sinus' at all?

Thinking back to the Odyssey Competition the kids were all nervous, one little girl in particular. It made it all the more special that they were able to come through and give a performance they were proud of.

Kathy - I adore old clocks and though we don't own one ourselves love the ones at my Mum's house that came from our grandparents. I especially liked the ritual of winding them up with a key.

GB- I love hearing about the anticipation of the new baby and remember that time so fondly when I was pregnant.

Babs - bummer about the deer. Our snow is still too deep to see the extent of winter damage but if we are true to form it is the rabbits and voles that wreak the most havoc.

Eden - I agree, the feeling that spring is around the corner makes me feel like dancing and I am a terrible dancer!

Last night I was so completely exhausted I fell asleep at 9 PM. I hadn't even finished cleaning the kitchen but when I got up this morning everything was put away - either Annie or perhaps DH when he arrived home in the wee hours from Vegas. It was a nice surprise and a great way to start the day.

Time for work - have a great Monday everyone

Mary

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Morning all

Friday turned out to be a nasty work day so I slunk home and died. . . .
    but we have had some glorious weekend weather unfortunately Sat. was a Chloe do date ("hairdo" for those unfamiliar w/ chloe-isms) & I usually end up doing errands while waiting the 2-3 hours as its usually a 30 min drive to home I managed to snag a flat of pansies at Home Cheapo tho & plant some that afternoon. I cut back all the roses, remaining shrubs, did a bit of weeding and started on the clematis (altho Im a wee bit hesitant to chop those that need chopping just yet; a lot of them had started to bud up in January when we had that heat wave & I just am not sure how chilly it may still get). It was so squishy though I probably stepped on a lot of popping bulbs.

Im suffering w/ the aches and pains of the first Spring clean-up today I dont know whether the bones & muscles hurt more or the aching body from lack of sleep add that to body parts stolen for medical science loved that little story, bug.

Cute kitties lazying about here!

I guess I need to dig out the digital camera & start practicing on the dog & the few pots I potted up w/ pansies...

Again, Babs has coined a another great term turbo posting (which doesnt get counted for spelling errors thanks!)

Sue I agree with you that a lot of the HG stuff was somewhat overpriced but I did snag a few obelisks and a couple of pots that I thought were pretty reasonably priced. They didnt have any of the Asian ceramic stuff (humongo pots of last year). . . . its always intersting to see what new "wave" of things they carry from year to year though. And I would have loved to have that set of gates if Id had a place for them!

Drema I loved that garden gate shot too beautful! Good to hear from you I think of you often doing the city commute too, trains, etc. . . . Hows your brother doing?

Chelone funny you mentioned that about ND rose I chucked mine a couple of yeears ago because it really was a monster and only bloomed once a season for me there was some discussion on the Roses forum about 2 types one that only bloomed once & another that did repeat a lot of people seem to own the one a season guy and in my real estate, a one a year rose is way too expensive and it was a huge thorny guy to try to prune. Good luck on yours. I ended up replacing it with Viking Queen and so far have been pleased but its only been in 2 years and Im looking forward to this year being a pretty good year for it. I did some pruning out on it but not too major yet.

Mary how exciting re the violin teacher and after auditioning too Congrats! Thats so neat.

Kathy wow tomato plants at the GCs?

It is supposed to hit 70 on Weds!!!!!!!! I wonder how many people will call in "sick" that day? LOL.

Suzy Im reading about your chicken dinner and it sounds yummy and its 9 a.m here... YUM!

Okay, on that note w/ food int thought I better tackle Monday. . . . and think about Weds weather.

Cindy

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

World's fastest turbo post; )

Hi!

~Babs

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Hi!

Eden

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Lost a post it seems....

In brief:
    DGS has major head lice. Joy.... (The ex blames it on DD's dog. Dogs however do not carry human lice.)

DSIL is very anxious about the move and work...very unlike his normal easy going self.

DS is gradually regaining strength from major lung worries: "Still glue in my lungs, can't fully breathe, but everything else is gone"

Lots of road kill around. I've seen skunks etc on the roads. We in fact hit a raccoon the other night when it suddenly changed direction and committed suicide. Much as I hate them in my roof, I still feel horrible when that happens.

Tree pruners are expected tomorrow, YEAHHHH! There's still major snow on the ground though.

Hoping for knitting time today, but we'll see how that works out with everything else.

Happy Monday to all! (Is that an oxymoron? Is that even possible? We shall soon see!)
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

And now for the slightly longer version...

It's gloomy here today with some rain expected later and I awoke with a headache that I can't seem to completely shake. Maybe it's because I know I have to do more painting today? The house is quite messy and needs cleaning after a busy weekend and I have laundry to do. David has jury duty this week. He's the youngest I've known to have to go, 20. I think you can be called anytime after 18 though. We're supposed to get into the 60s tomorrow. I'm thinking I can at least get out and clean up after the dog if I wear my boots. It's a start. Also there are lots of sticks lying around that need to be picked up.

Mary, maybe you have a kitchen fairy???

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We looked at mattresses recently and were shocked at the prices especially the high end ones.

Deanne, I really had little room in the garden shed until last year when we got rid of all DH's stuff. I did bring alot of the plants out there as the eight windows face south and 1 east window. I put up shelves above the tables under the windows. Right now I can't get the door open because there was a large drift in front of it and now its all ice. Todays 65 degree temp should get rid of that.

We have lots of bare grass with large snow drifts and piles every where. Extremely foggy this a.m. with all the warm air and all the snow.

There are a fair amount of pheasants as road kill around here. Once we got all the snow, they can't find food and peck around the sides of the road. Hopefully, now that there is bare ground showing in the fields they will be able to find food again.

Chelone, I was glad to read that you and your DB are getting along and that your mom is adjusting to daycare.

Well, its Monday so I'd better get back to it.

Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day
    Monday, Monday, it just turns out that way
    Oh Monday, Monday, won't go away
    Monday, Monday, it's here to stay

You can say that again Mama Cass.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I put in a full(ish) day at work today. I'm pooped! I'm feeling pretty good, but my head is still pretty "full", lots of nose blowing and intermittant coughing. My boss is now fully in the clutches of the "grippe", and the helpmeet's descent into it is gaining momentum. Boss was particularly peevish today, which doesn't float with your's truly (I'm not putting up with that crap anymore). She isn't a 5 yr. old, and if she's that sick she needs to stay home; I told her so. Much subdued, she left at about 2PM, clear evidence that she felt crummy. I'm thinking about what to prepare for the helpmeet's dinner. Methinks he'd be best served with "room service". I hope he decides to stay home for as long as he needs to.

My week at home means I'm STILL ploughing through the dreadful sailboat interior. It feels like a life sentance, lol. I finished up the port settee cushions for the main salon this morning. I'm now working on the aft sleeping area (could accomodate two, very much in love). Two cushions, with a great deal of shape and bevelled edges (that means the top is larger than the bottom because they rest against the side of the hull). They take time, and the bottoms are to be made of vinyl, so I'm cutting from different rolls of goods. I should have them finished tomorrow, and will enter the homestretch... the V berth (the cabin in the bow of the boat). The fabric is homely, all the cabins are in the same fabric, and it's decidedly "unfulfilling". Knowing what I know about their boat, I'd hazard a bet their home and garden is "safe"... know what I mean?

HEAD LICE, 'bug? Oh man! like your daughter needs that? any chance she could take some pictures?! (I loved entomology and parasitology, and I love forensic science... so, yes, I'm serious). How do you get rid of them? shampoo, obviously, but is it necessary to go after the nits, too? Or have they "new and improved" the products doled out? Enquiring minds want to know. :) What was the book you bought for DGS?

Cindy, my New Dawn reflowers. I'm a reactionary rosarian; prune too late and spray too late, too often... but if it will flower continually for me it's definitely not a "one trick pony". I'm freaked out by how sinister the errant canes look. But I think the "cyndies" (loppers) will tame it in no time flat. It obviously enjoyed the fertilizer I gave it last spring.

I am going to need the assistance of all of you this season. For 3 years I've done very little in the gardens and it shows. I shovel pruned several things last spring and need to rearrange what I have and add more select things as the season progresses. We have nearly 3 acres and I am fond of the "wild" buffer areas that surround our home. I am having a hard time "smudging the edges" of the more cultivated areas so they blend smoothly into the natural woodland. Need help esp. with woody shrubs; type and placement for overall effect and "feel". Would LOVE to have any of you come for a visit, anytime. REALLY. I had the nicest time at Deanne's last weekend, and I know you guys all "understand" how very personal plantings can (should!) be.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Dh just came home so this must be short!

Chelone, head lice are awful. Little eggs that are almost invisible that must be removed. Itchy Itchy too! The suggested product for this (30 years ago) was carcinogenic. Great! An alternate product is tea oil, but that is not advisable for pregnant women as it can encourage spontaneous abortion. So the midwife suggested fluoride toothpaste as a shampoo. DH suggested a Brittny Spears haircut. LOL.

The book I bought DGS is called "If I Were a Lion" and DH & I fell in love with the poetry and art work. DGS will love the naughty little girl and the rhythm of it all.

Time to cook.
    'bug

• chelone
    17 years ago

What about kerosene? I recall my father's advice about crabs when he was in the Navy. Shave one side, light the other on fire and swat 'em as the jump over... ;) Hey! I NEVER told any of you I was PC, let alone "polite".

Seriously, do you have to use one of those little, tiny, fine "nit combs". STILL? I would have thought by now they'd have a "nuke it from orbit" solution.

What a drag! can he still go to school or is he under forced confinement until containment is achieved? Yikes.

What does Nurse Ratchett have to offer on the subject?

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Heck, well school is where he got them no doubt, so I guess he'll be there with everyone else unless his mother keeps him home. Not likely though I think.

• chelone
    17 years ago

There was a story about headlice on NPR not too long ago (Morning Edition) and the furor surrounding the admission of kids with headlice to school BEFORE eradication. The whole point was, once the colony was established on a head it was very localized. Lice need blood to live... no blood, no life. Unless hats, combs, brushes are shared, the lice have no desire to GO anywhere. :) CONTAINMENT. (They don't live on dogs while waiting for a human host, LOL! and they don't "jump". Mother must be some piece of work, 'bug. Is she completely stupid or just a PITA?)

So kids with lice were allowed back to school and monitored. A lot less hassle than ostracizing them and THEN having to make up the missed work.

But what a drag... I can only equate it with FLEAS. And 3 cats and 3 dogs... . I was vacuuming, bombing, bathing for about 3 months straight. It sucked. TOTALLY.

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Yeesh! today was a Monday all right. I will go to work tomorrow wearing a sign around my neck that says, "READ THE MEMO and then ask questions". And in three weeks when everyone's computer changes time again, I will not answer my phone, because I told them what to do today and they didn't bother to read it. Okay, rant over.

On the plus side, I started working on my very first Power Point presentation for public comsumption and I am far too pleased with how nice it looks. I'm like a little kid, playing the entire slideshow everytime I add a new slide and then grinning because it looks so good. Make that a modest little kid.

And then I thought of Chelone, and decided that I had done quite enough work and left at 4:00 pm! I went home and actually strolled in the garden with the dogs. (Is strolling the right verb to describe mucking through piles of unmelted snow and puddles of snow melt, all the while yelling at the black dog to drop the pine branch that is supposed to keep the rabbits off the heuchera?) Anyway, it felt good to get outside and assess the situation a little bit. This garden needs to dry out more than Britney does!

Babs, you realize that Eden has you beat?

GB, sorry to hear about the head lice. What a PITA! We had a scare once when my daughter was young but no actual lice. When I was young, we had a huge bridal wreath spirea in our yard that had a bad infestation of aphids one year. I didn't know they were aphids then, and I thought they were lice. The arching branches reached over our sidewalk and I would try my hardest not to brush up against the bush so I wouldn't catch lice!

Our deer were back again this evening, and the cranes were very vocal.

We replaced our waterbed with a nice mattress a few years ago. It cost more than I expected but it was worth it. I'm still enjoying it.

Chelone, I thought the V berth was where I slept?

Hmm, I had one more important thing to say. I wonder what that was?

V.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hello Idyll friends ! Its Monday indeed, but a 75 degree Monday in spring cant be all bad !

ClocksMary, I wind mine every Saturday as a rule, but I have two that are 31 hours and should be wound daily- one of them needs a repair so it isnnt running, and the other I frequently forget to wind ! One of my employees and her husband own a clock repair business, and I am gradually getting all of them cleaned and repaired if needed.

Chelone, I looked up "Longitude" on Amazon- I love this sort of obscure historical/scientific stuff .Ill definitely try to make a spot for it on the list, thanks for the recommendation. LOL on the crabs story ! havent heard that in a while !

Cindy, I whacked my clematis quite brutally this winter. I completely disregard the A B C pruning thing. I have one (Ramona) that has so much thatch now that I think I will cut it almost to the ground this fall and see what happens. Im with you, I dont have room for once bloomer roses. Wish I did, there are about 10 I can think of that I would love to have !

V, Id like to borrow your "Read the Memo and Then Ask Question" sign. Perhaps a sandwich board outside my office ?

Ah, head lice , my kids had one incident when they were in school. The product was "Rid" and smelled like hell and came with an attractive fine tooth comb.

Well Suzy, I must admit I have no idea what Chicken Fricassee consists of ! Sounds like comfort food though

Okay, here are some pics du jour

Re: the discussion of house eating climbers, I took this pic of Cecile Bruner this evening. I cut at least 30 percent off of her this January. She seems to be rebounding . Jeesh

{{gwi:153558}}

Dicentra ... also taken today

{{gwi:153560}}

Tulips !

{{gwi:153562}}

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Kathy, honestly! I can't take it! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
    I'll try again tomorrow when they say it will be around 45F, but I'm sure there won't be any plants pushing through the snow yet....
    There ARE tulips in my kitchen though! :)

Chelone, I don't dare answer your question. ;-)

Nighty night everyone!
    'bug

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

It got to 64 here today and I opened the kitchen windows. Mystique loved that - being an indoor cat she loves the smells and sounds of outside. It was nice to get a little fresh air in here. Still too wet to do anything outside though.

Ewwww, we were lucky and never had head lice. I don't know how we escaped it - I know there were times the schools were rampant with it. Yes that product was Rid, I remember that. Mom was a school nurse and did lots of head checks in her day. I'm surprised there isn't more of it around - kids share EVERYTHING these days, even when they are taught not to. Yuck.

Chicken fricasse in short: browned chicken, then cooked in water 2-3 hours, then make gravy out of the liquid and put the chicken in it, and the dumplings on top of the chicken. Family was decidedly not appreciative of my efforts. I think I'll not waste my time any more because they just don't seem to care. *sigh*

I'd love to have a huge climbing rose but my ground will need a lot of amendments before I can hope for anything like that. I'm anxious for the flowers this year. I'm hoping the two Endless Summer hydrangeas will do well and bloom for me, they were very pretty last year.

Nick came down with something last night - he was headachey and felt feverish. Complained of a sore throat. I did the mom thing and gave him tylenol and vitamin c, and then some nyquil. He says he feels a bit better today but is still headachey (he went back to school) so he's probably still a bit feverish.

Tomorrow is supposed to be mid 70s, what a tease. I'll enjoy it though, and maybe get out in the yard a bit after my "do date", LOL.

We've not had to worry about a mattress for a long time. We did replace the waterbed mattress about 4 years ago, I think. The old one was drying out and had a cracked area that hadn't started leaking yet, so we thought it was best to get a new one before we had a flood. I don't sleep well on a regular mattress.

Off to see what's on tv for night owls,

suzy

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all,

I did some quick skimming and heard about painting, and knitting, and head lice and garden planning and Kathy is just rubbing it in with her tulip pictures! Things here are still pretty squishy in the gardens but another few days of this warm sunshine ought to dry things up sufficiently to start spring cleanup. That is going to be major work this year with all the broken tree stuff that came down in that ice storm. Then of course all those days of strong winds brought down even more tree debris. The yard and gardens look a mess. Its hard to believe it will be a garden in a month or so.

The snow melted off the poor hellebores and they are pitiful. They began blooming in January then between the ice storm and polar blast cold temps the flowers are just soggy, mushy rotted messes. How sad is that?

The family and neighbor upheaval continues. I dont think I can stand to deal with a whole lot more at this point but such is life. One just has to do what one has to do.

OK enough downer stuff, on to the good stuff. Luke is now completely healed up from his oral surgery and youd never know he lost one of his canine teeth. Doug is recovering nicely from a cold he caught a week or so ago and is working from home this week which is nice.

The plants under the lights are starting to look really good after a winter of bug problems. Ive lost a few more fuchsia but there are still plenty left in the basement and Ive been unable to keep myself from making a few cuttings so there will be more! LOL. My four large Lena uprights are looking great. That variety and the Beacon and Beacon Rosa seem to survive dormancy well. Ive brought a bunch of them out and put them under the lights and Im hoping that soon the temps will stay above 22 in the evenings so I can start bringing the rest of the fuchsias up to the garage. I wish I had a heater in there and then Id bring them all up now. Id lost a couple more and I think its just time to get them growing again. I got my Avent Gardens catalog the other day and Ive been perusing it and planning on a few new purchases. Id like to get a couple more acalpha and coprosma. I was surprised to see they have quite a few varieties of coprosma. Last year I used the C. kirkii in a few containers and in fact I still have the large plant under lights downstairs. It is the variegated trailer on the right side of this container.

{{gwi:153564}}

Im also looking for a few more varieties of coleus because, of course, I dont have enough plants. ROTFLOL Im going to be putting in an order to Rosy Dawn soon but Im going to wait to have them delivered until the middle of May this year. I lost too many after the cold wet spring last year and dont want to risk that again.

Yesterday I had a pretty exciting bird show up here in the back on the oak trees. I looked up and there was this humongous bird on the tree, a Pileated Woodpecker!!!! What a beauty! Not the best photos of this bird but you see what its like. This guy can be 19" tall with a 30" wingspan. A very impressive bird and is our largest woodpecker here.

{{gwi:153567}}

{{gwi:153569}}

Ok Ive got to run and get to the gym. Ive been meeting a couple woman lately and weve been doing our strength training together and spotting each other which is working out great. I can tackle more weight if I have someone ready to help out if I get stuck.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

The snow is melting so fast that there is some minor flooding around. Our creek looks pretty mighty right now. We hit 64 yesterday, I rode home with the sunroof open.

bug, dont be so sure that you cant find anything green. I told DH that I was going out on Sunday to find something green and he said "good luck" I do have some evergreen perennials and also could see the first little nubs of sedum Autumn Joy and some of the creeping sedums are leafing out as well. Some of the gardens are completely under snow yet, but the garden shed door did come open yesterday.

One incident of lice with DD who of course had had down to the middle of her back.

My New Dawn is a rebloomer as well. It hasnt gotten all that big yet as I seem to have a fair amount of winter die back. It is on a open fence and not a wall which may be the reason.

Its nice to see that someone has green grass and something blooming. I love the moss covered rock. Is it natural or did you help it get that way?

So, Deanne its time to get my fuchsias out of cold storage? I dont have many, so can I just put them under my lights? I had to laugh at your woodpecker, he has such a skinny neck.

Enjoy your day

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Just wanted to let you all know that it's 71F here and I've been out doing a little cleanup. Mother Nature is very messy! It feels wonderful out there and I'm surprised how much "green" was hidden under the snow. Oh how I wish it was here to stay. Soon!

My kids never had head lice but I was always afraid they would! Notes were always coming home from school warning of outbreaks. Everytime I start reading about this topic my head starts itching, lol.

Love the woodpecker Deanne! What a funny fellow he is!

Eden

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Eden, I'm envious of your temperature. Hopefully that will head our way for tomorrow.

I spent 1.5 hrs outside last night after work with hubby and we did some cleanup. We tried to only walk on paths and stepping stones. Cut down some grasses, some perennials, the everfruiting raspberries, etc. It was wonderful-I had a light coat on over my sweatshirt and pants, but felt very comfortable. I didn't go inside until 7:20pm. Woo-hoo.

I've been meaning to apologize to the Idyllers and spouses from Deanne's party that got colds. Tis the season, but if hubby and I had anything to do with it, we're sorry :-( I was almost over mine by the party day, but Les had it worse and it took a few extra days. We tried to wash our hands often and did not touch our faces while cooking/baking, but those pesky germs.

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there Idylls!

Neat photo of the pecker Deanne! I love seeing photos of them......not so entralled with getting to see them up close and personal though. ;o) I keep looking at mylar tape, plastic owls with swivel heads and other such deterrants. I do draw the line at inflatable or plastic anaconda snakes.......I'd probably have a heart attack if I saw one stuck to the side of my house. ;o) The woodpecker would probably just use it as a perch while pecking holes in my siding anyway. Dastardly peckers!

I worked for a few hours yesterday cutting down briars at the bottom of our driveway. It looks much nicer and I'm quite pleased with my accomplishment but there is a tiny bit left to do in that area. My cold has come back with a vengance (sore throat, ear ache, stuffy head and feel feverish-------yep, I'm sniveling & whining AGAIN, LOL). I thought once you hosted those germs that they were suppose to move on to their next victim? Sucked the energy right out of me. So, no brush cutting for me today. Just bundled up, staying indoors and taking it easy.

Eden........how is Megan feeling?

Monique, I have some new leaves on my raspberry plants so I guess I'm too late in cutting them back. I guess I could go take care of the dead canes at least. I meant to move the plants but didn't get the new area prepared (DH didn't get my new area prepared, LOL, old weenie arms moi couldn't prepare soggy clay soil on my own). Maybe I'll get everything ready this fall (when the soil is dry and easier to work) so that I am ready in January to move the plants into a better spot. I loved the copper supports that you & Les had for your berries....loved your trellis'..........loved your entire yard! :oD

Michelle, (and Ei) New Dawn is on my list of 'must purchase' for this year. I loved seeing the photos of it that Ei's shown. I'm trying to remember if you've (Michelle) have shown us your New Dawn? Scrunching my brain and trying to 'see' it. ;o)

Kathy, your rose bush is going to cover the whole corner of your house it looks like. Wow!

Well, I've run out of steam so I'm going to take my water jug back to my recliner and melt into it. Such a wimpy and sniveling waste of human flesh when I feel puny. LOL

I hope Honey is having a wonderful time with her girlfriend in the warmth.

T.

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Just a quick pop-in here, have to pick up DS in a few minutes. I am very tempted to go poke around in the yard, but it is still way too muddy. I made the mistake of stepping off the path into the house last night, and went almost to my ankle in mud. We'd really like to have that path re-done my a pro. We re-lay the flagstones every year, and the path becomes a mess again in the Spring. It is a difficult spot, slight downhill slope along with tree roots and some ledge.

Kathy, how nice to see some spring! Is that spiky plant on the far right of the 1st pic actually blooming?

Re: head lice, never had to deal with them here, though there are outbreaks in the elementary school every year.

Bug, I love looking at infant and toddler clothes; it was such fun dressing my kids when they were too small to voice an opinion.

Deanne, I have been looking at Avant Gardens website and I'm thinking of ordering some stuff too. I have a small list of tender stuff so far, and I am just working my way through the perennial offerings.

Eden, I hope Megan is feeling better.

T, take care of that cold!

Have to run now!

-Wendy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

YEAH! The fruit trees are pruned, some things got sprayed against the rodents (after the fact unfortunately), the ninebark was cut back, and some snow removed from the house foundation. Things are really melting nicely, though snow is still expected at the end of the week. Lots of fallen branches picked up too.

Busy knitting and reading at night these days. Just 15 days til we go visit DD's small family and new home. Pretty exciting. I'm into talking about names, but I don't dare mention my opinions in front of them. I've had my turn already. ;-)

DD asked me to sign up on her pregnancy forum to do a "knit-along". We will all make the same garment and encourage each other's progress. Should be fun.

DGS phoned his Dad at 7AM to wish him a happy birthday this morning. Dad thought that was a bit too early! It seems he's afraid he'll be teased at school for his new haircut. He probably will...but he'll also learn that it grows back. Perhaps others will have the same "do"?

Can't get over having windows open and fresh air and the Christmas lights put AWAY. ;-) Tomorrow, the wreath has to go!
    'bug

• chelone
    17 years ago

Very wet here, too. The ground is still frozen and the melt is just floating on top of it. The lawns are still pretty nearly snow covered but the pack is deminishing daily. Driveway is gooky, though.

The woodpecker is beautiful, Deanne. They are impressive birds, aren't they?

Monique, if you and Les. were the vectors of my present malady... well, it was definitely worth the risk of infection to meet you! I'll survive and am reminding myself how great it will be to feel "good" again. Esp. today, as I've suffered a bit of a relapse. My sinuses were pounding today and I was coughing up storm, so I bagged work at about 11 AM. I felt pretty good this morning, too... oh well, it just takes time. I've been meaning to inquire about Megan, too, Eden. And my sympathies to T., as well.

Kathy, your spring shots are great. I am in awe of the size of Cecille, too. Yowza! Your stories of clocks inspired me to drop the cuckoo off at the shop for a cleaning and adjustment. I told him NOT to change the chains, as I like the old, "tarnished" ones perfectly well. It was brought back from Germany in the late '20s-early '30s, by one of my mother's aunts. After that one, I'll take the mantel clock in (marble). I'm not sure that shop is the one to attend to the tall case clock, though... . We'll see. Our library has "Longitude" in the stacks, I simply need to get down there and pick it up.

Suzy, I thought chicken fricasee sounded delicious, personally. Sorry it wasn't received more enthusiastically. :(

It's time for me to retreat and cough in private.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Tuesday- 5:30 ish and the sun is still shining bright. UPS came with my plant labels from Gardeners Supply today. I ordered two pens and they billed for two and only shipped one-how very nice they were when I called to report the shortage ! My second pen will be in-route shortly. I still wish it had a finer point though. I find these pens hold up better than Sharpies over time(fading wise) . Anyone got any leads on good extra-fine point pens for plant tags.?

Upon close inspection tonight I have many rosebuds-eeny-weeny, but rose buds none the less. So exciting !!

Suzy, youd be surprised what crummy soil climbing roses can grow in-my Sally Holmes is in a horrible location but it seems she could care less. A couple of years ago the fence even fell over on her during a bad storm and she soldiered on as though nothing had happened.

Deanne, Lena is a fuchsia from my childhood- along with Voodoo and Hollydale. I always remember these names. My Voodoo I have now is in the ground but I dont know if it survived the winter yet. Im keeping my fingers crossed. Love the Pileated ! We get them in NorCal but rarely and only in heavily forested areas I think.

T, I bet you are having some nice weather up your way too ! How crummy that you are having a cold relapse .

Wendy, the spiky plant is indeed blooming-It is a Rosemary, "Tuscan Sun" , and it blooms many months of the year.

Chelone ..glad to have inspired you with my clock stories--- there is mucho inspiration here at the Idylls---I have new resolve because of all the wonderful container pics that have been posted here-the bar has been raised .

OK, DS has returned from his camping trip to Yosemite- He took 170 pics ! Im going to view them over a glass of cheap wine

Hello to all ! And as said by the Moody Blues, I know Your're Out There Somewhere Martie !

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good evening Idylls

Hope all those under the weather are soon feeling better.

GB - last year, working with some of the very poorest children in the city I managed to contract both scabies and ringworm. Both had the advantage of being relatively easy to treat - and for me it is part and parcel of the job. I did feel bad though when I realized I'd the scabies on to DH - and they sure do ITCH!! My pediatician friend/nieghbor is very practical about such matters having had them twice herself and pointed me in the direction for the best treatment. Hope the nits are as easily eradicated.

Deanne - what fabulous photos of my favorite bird - they are awesome creatures aren't they? I was completley blown away the first time I saw one and look every time I'm in the woods. I can never see one of your containers without catching my breath in admiration.

Today was sunny and we hit the 60's. I took David and his friend for a walk by the creek which had almost crested. There was still lots of slushy snow in the fields and huge puddles with chunks of ice in for splashing. Both kids were soaked up to their waists and having almost as much in and out of the water as Clousseau. They came home, dried off and then helped a neighbor wash our cars which resulted in another soaking, plus a lot of high spirits. It was definitely a day to run laundry. I also made a start on the poopsicle pick-up and am trying to keep up with the melting snowline. ITs so good to see grass again!!

Time to haul the last load out of the dryer before heading to bed.

Mary

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Turbo post here, hope all with colds and flu get better soon!!

Monique, no worries, it couldn't have been you guys because I believe everyone came down with something the next day and that is too soon for it to have been you. The incubation for that kind of thing is normally several days.

So glad you all liked the Pileated photos. It is indeed a magnificent bird and speaking of which...

This isn't a great photograph as my 400mm lens just doesn't have the reach to get these birds at this distance but... This pair of Red-tailed Hawks have had a nest in the woods out behind my neighborhood for at least six years and I was SO happy to see the pair together again yesterday. ONe of the hawks has been in residence for a couple weeks now and the other bird showed up yesterday. How neat is that???? They are marvelous birds and the keep the rodent population down to managable levels.

{{gwi:153571}}

I put in a plant order for a few things last night and got some interesting Acalpha and a few Coleus... I know I'm cracked... LOL

It is going to be 70 degrees today!!!! Woohoo, I can see some spring cleanup in my immediate future. Things have dried out a lot in the last two days.

OK must run,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Bit of flooding of the creek here today. How nice! I can see a few plants emerging this morning that I couldn't find yesterday. Mighty exciting, even though snow is predicted for the weekend. :(

The birds are wonderful Deanne! I hear the different sounds, but haven't seen anything new except for robins. Later they'll be less exciting but for now, WOW. Yesterday a great horned owl was hooting in the distance, but not showing off up close.

Must get organized as I'm going out today with a friend. I'll try to be back later to check in.

'bug

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

We're having another warm day today. The last one! It got up to 75F yesterday. What a beautiful day it was. The ground's still thawing out though all the snow is gone. Things are still wet and soggy. Lots of crocus coming up though and the snowdrops are blooming as is the Arnold Promise I put in last year. I'll have Bella here today from 10 until 5. Megan went to the Dr. Monday and he said she could go back to work, only 8 hr days though this week. Her usual work days are 12 hrs long. She still is very tired and not feeling well though. I think it'll just take some time for her to get over this mono.

Deanne, thank you so much for the almost daily bird photos. I never know what to expect but you always come through with something spectacular. The hawks are so interesting. So tell us what new coleus you ordered. I haven't even looked at Rosy Dawn's website this year. I'm cutting way down on containers this year...really! With a 2 year old around I think it will be a good time to simplify in the garden, if only for this one year.

Marie, I pitched the wreath yesterday too! Have fun with your friend today. More baby clothes shopping???

Chelone, hope you're feeling better today...

I need to grab some breakfast before Bella gets here so HI to you all. Hope everyone gets to spend a little time outside today!

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Another day of work Very cloudy and dark but should be decent temperature wise. We are supposed to have a cool down the next few days. Someone told me that it snows 3 times after the robins are sighted. Hopefully, those are dustings of snow ;o)

I have never seen snow melt so fast, we really dont have any left except where it was piled in large piles. My neighbor told me that we actually had water over our road on Monday. I take a different direction to work so I didnt have to drive through it.

I took a walk around the gardens last night and was pleased to see all that had sprouted under that snow. The sempervivums and the sedum Angelina are just fabulous.

Eden, sorry to hear that Megan is not back to full speed yet. Mono does take lots of time. LOL on "cutting down on containers" (anyone want to take bets?)

Deanne, the hawks are quite cool! I wonder if hawks are one of those that mate for life?

T, after seeing Eis picture of New Dawn, Im too embarrassed to post mine. LOL I hope you start feeling better soon.

I dont know if I have ever see pictures of Monique & Les copper raspberry supports. Hint, hint. I have copper that I bought to make an arbor similar to the tuteur last year, but I just cant seem to find the time. The darn exercises for my knees add another task of ½ hour to my day. I havent even ordered one plant or seed this year either.

Have a good hump day!

Michelle

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

Good morning!

It's supposed to be another warm day today although some rain is expected. Typical warnings on the news about strong storms possible. Warm moist air/weather = storms, such news! Yesterday it got to 80 heavenly degrees. Had all the windows open, airing out the house. Mystique loved it and spent most of the day in front of one window or another.

She also had a visit from our neighbor's cat. He comes almost daily - he was a buddy of my Licorice for many years. He seems quite puzzled by Mystique. Since Licorice has been gone, I have occasionally given him a treat of the leftover cat food and now I think he expects his "snack" whenever he comes down. He even has come into the house (not that that is allowed) a couple of times when we weren't watching! A couple of days ago I pulled several cockleburrs out of his fur while he was enjoying his snack. He'd obviously been out through the brush.

Today I'm going to try to at least clean up some of the dead stuff in the peony beds. It should have been done last fall but I never got to it.

Deanne, my veteran hellebore looks devastated also. We had warm weather, really, until late December, and it didn't really freeze here until about mid January I don't think. I'm sure that had an impact on them. I'm more worried about the new one I planted last year. In fact I'm worried about a lot of the things out there, but time will tell.

I love the pileated woodpeckers too but boy are they destructive. I've seen them work on a tree and hollow it out in just a couple of days time. When they are working on it, the wood chips really fly! They seem to only go after trees with bugs in them, though.

Last night I made a pot of chicken noodle soup to send over to school for Nick. He's not feeling very good and his Dad suggested it. He has a small refrigerator in his room, and can warm the soup up in the dorm kitchen. I've always fixed this soup for the family when any of us has the "crud".

Time to get out and do something before it rains.

suzy

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Afternoon all, good grief, it's 72 degrees outside! It was only a week ago we woke up to zero. This weather is crazy, crazy.

Michelle, yes, like many raptors,Red-tailed Hawks are normally monogamous and will stay with one partner until one of the pair dies.

Eden, you are cutting down on the containers???? Hmmmmm..... ROTFLOL!!!!! Sorry! you cracked me up. So coleus, BLING BLING, BURGUNDY GIANT, CALYPSO, CATHYS SUNSET, GLENNIS and TRAILING ROSE

Suzy, yes indeed, Pileated Woodpeckers can be very destructive. I read that a bird can actually topple the top of a tree off if it is digging in a thin enough tree. Amazing brids. But, the cavities that they create make nesting holes for a lot of our cavity nesting songbirds so there are good things about their behavior too.

OK must run, TTYL
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

This is an old thing that used to be sent around, but today it struck my fancy once more:

How to get ahead in life:

1. As I let go of my feelings of guilt, I am in touch with my inner sociopath.

2. I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

3. I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

4. I no longer need to punish, deceive, or compromise myself, unless I want to stay employed.

5. In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.

6. Having control over myself is almost as good as having control over others.

7. My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of self-judgment.

8. I honor my personality flaws for without them I would have no personality at all.

9. Joan of Arc heard voices too.

10. I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those censorious, self-righteous people around me.

11. I need not suffer in silence while I can still moan, whimper and complain.

12. As I learn the innermost secrets of people around me, they reward me in many ways to keep me quiet.

13. When someone hurts me, I know that forgiveness is cheaper than a lawsuit, but not nearly as gratifying.

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Laugh if you must Deanne :) Glennis is one of my favorites. Have you ever tried goldfinch, another really good yellow one? Did you order from Glasshouse? That's the only place I could find most of the ones you listed. If so I'll be interested to hear about how their coleus are. I've ordered begonias from them before and was happy with them.

Marie, are you having a bad day?

T, forgot to mention earlier that I'm sorry to hear you've relapsed with your cold. Hope it's much better today!

Michelle, are the exercises helping your knee? I hope so.

Time for Jeopardy. I have to watch it alone, Bella's gone home. Megan had a headache when she came to pick her up. She didn't look good at all.

Wonder what Cynthia, Monty, Katie, Dannie, Saul, George and AHAOW are up to this week?

Eden

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

iminturbopostmodeasitisalmostpastmybedtimehitoall!

We enjoyed a high of 73 yesterday as well as a long walk with the dogs. Since the pond is all fresh snow melt, the dogs didn't even stink after their romp through the water. Goofy Sunrise rolled like crazy in the remaining snow patches - go figure!

On Sunday afternoon there was not a sign of crocus or daffs. Tuesday evening there were blooming crocus and lots of daffs poking out of the ground.

Now for the rest of the story - an inch of snow forecast for overnight!

Deanne, I love your hawks!

One wee bit of bad news today - DH was vacuuming up pesky box elder bugs in the kitchen window and had a vacuuming miscalculation. PHWOOOMPH! There went one coleus cutting, sucked right out of the pot. He emailed a very sincere apology to me.

DD learned life lesson #162 today - you cannot leave a car sitting outside for six weeks through major subzero temps and never even try to start it once. The tow truck solved her problem and she will be able to drive home on Friday. I don't think she'll make that mistake again.

Gonna catch some zzz's.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hiya Idylls.. I spent the day today in Woodland, which is a town just to the west of Sacramento , in meetings all day . It is just about a one hour drive home , south on 113 and then west on Interstate 80. Along 113 the Western Redbuds (Cercis-lots of them ) were in full bloom. Very pretty !
    My internet connection this evening is very slow for some reason. I re-started , but no improvement. It must be "them"¨ . Point being is I tried to upload a few pics from DS's Yosemite camping trip that I thought y'all would enjoy , but had to abort after two way too lengthy tries. I'll try again tomorrow.

Glad to hear of all the warm temps, now I feel less guilty about mine !

I¡¦m beat up from the feet up (in the immortal words of Zig Zigler), so I need to do something really mindless. I have three movies to watch , but tonight is just not the night, especially since one is a foreign film and will require more concentration than I have to give ...

So, see you all on the morrow !

Kathy in the Napa Valley.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Evening,

V, which one went "PHWOOOMPH!" I'll send you a replacement?

Eden, Now I'm ROTFLOLPIMP.... Yes it was Glasshouse and that is the cause of my hilarity, that you'd actually know that. Now I'm going to have to look for 'Goldfinch'. Sounds like I need that one especially because it has a bird name.

Sue, how is Zoe?

Babs, time for another 'turbopost'

Bug, too funny, are you having a bad day?

Nitey nite,
    Deanne

Where is Cynthia this week?

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Not a bad day at all...it just struck my funny bone.

The creek is flooding and we were covered in fog today.

What will tomorrow bring?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    'bug

• chelone
    17 years ago

I will be finishing V.'s berth today (I hope). I received the heavy criticism yesterday... the cushions don't look as good as the normally do, etc., etc., maybe because I was sick? I am not thrilled with them, either, but after nearly 30 years of doing this work, it's pretty much "from the neck down". ;) I calmly pointed out that I was working with old, crumbling foam lacking the necessary oomph to puff out new, crisp covers, in spite of being carefully steamed out. I am also using a product called "Seamark", Sunbrella fused to a vinyl back that is about as "forgiving" as cardboard (I would NEVER have recommended it for the purpose under the circumstances, but what do I know?). So, you can imagine my excitement about getting to work today. :)

It was really warm yesterday and I put on the muck shoes and took Biggie out for a yard cruise. We uncovered a couple of tennis balls (Oh boy!), checked on the progress of emerging bulbs and receding snow cover. The cats put on quite a performance, too. Lots of racing with "big tails", up the pergola, up trees, etc., etc.. Supposed to rain today (rather hard, I believe) and then get nasty tomorrow night... saw something about 4-8" of SNOW for Friday night into Saturday? So what, it won't last long.

Helpmeet is really stuffed up even as I'm still "draining". I left him a note about taking down the pediments IF he felt like it. I've also tactfully avoided the open question of pulling a building permit for the garage.

Not very interesting this morning, I'm afraid.

Eden, sorry about Megan... going to be a long haul, huh?
    V., cracked up about the coleus cutting. That's pretty funny.
    Wondering about Cynthia, Woody, and MARTIE!
    And wondering about several other things, too, but have to get toddling along.

Ta ta!

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

A huge flock of red winged black birds is making a fuss in the trees and by the feeders this morning! WOW!

The waters are flowing furiously and filling the overflow area next to the bridge. The skies are ominous, but "they" say partly sunny...so who knows!

DD began a new agility session (8 classes) but in a different location last night. She really enjoys the new instructor way more than the first, and Indy-dog figured out what weaving is - and did the teeter (albeit low) all by herself. She's so proud of her smart dog, I can already imagine her baby will be the world's greatest gift and we'll hear all about it! ;)

I've heard from Woody, busy working on yet another carpentry project, another table.

Mary is offering me advice not only on lice, but now scabies. Oh please...my poor daughter is turning into a laundress!
    Another situation agitating her is that yesterday she discovered that her boss doesn't know she's pregnant, though she told everyone in January. So in two week he is to interview her for a job opening...and she wonders what to do. Here's what she says:
    "So if Paul doesnt realize that Im pregnant, should I tell him now, or wait until after the interview? I am 24 weeks, and I run the risk that I could be obviously showing in 2 weeks (Im just on the verge now but he obviously hasnt noticed and probably wont ask most men are weird that way). If I do tell him, then I run the risk of not getting the job because Id go on maternity leave for 3 or 4 months - 2 months after being hired"

Her DH says to assume she told him back in January when she told everyone else. Its not like she's been trying to hide it.
    And so she is agitated.

I must move ahead with the day-
    So later!
    'bug

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good morning!

Chelone, when you are done with the cushions for that boat---ours could really use some new ones. No berth for V, but we do have bunk beds in the aft cabin, so we can house V & a friend. The settee could use some new cushions and some new curtains throughout would be very nice.......Or even easier? I could just sell the *^%$ boat!

Laughed during V's report of the coleus sucking vacuum. We are starting to see the Japanese beetles (I think I have the name right, they look like lady bugs) littering the windowsills in the family room. I don't know where those pesky darn things hibernate each year, but their little carcasses litter the windowsills of that room. Dear little James thought it was quite neat to get to study the 'dead bugs Grammie, wots of dead bugs' up close and personal. Needless to say, I didn't mention to his parents that he was lining up the 'wots of dead bugs' into orderly lines......... Kids!

I'm watching James for a little while today while his mom gets her hair cut. Tomorrow and Saturday I have the twins. I guess I'd better do my grocery shopping today after my time with James. I really dislike grocery shopping. :oP

Eden, sorry that Megan still isn't feeling a lot better. Hopefully she notice an improvement over the next few days and be back to feeling well soon.

Deanne, I enjoyed the red tailed hawk photo. We see hawks quite often, but I've never seen two sitting together.

Well, the coffee cup is empty and we just can't have that happening this early in the morning.......so, I'm off to fill it up.

TTYL
    T.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning morning, rather damp and gloomy here in Southern NH. but it's 53 degrees out even with no sun so I'll take it. A few of the hyacinths are poking their heads out in the front gardens and I've started picking up debris from all those winter ice and wind storms. Wish I could burn the brush, I've got quite a pile.

Chelone, your cushion story reminds me of a class I taught years ago on how to paint a strawberry. I show the students that after the berry is highlighted and shaded (no seed or dimple detailing yet)and the basic form established they are to crosshatch the berry with removable chalk or graphite and in each of the diamonds formed by the crosshatching you place a seed and then erase the crosshatch lines. Well I had one student who only put in about three lines so she was only going to have about nine seeds on a large strawberry. I told her she needed to re-do the crosshatching lines because there wouldn't be enough seeds on the berry and it wouldn't look right. Well, she looked at me in a huff and said, "I'm not going to paint all those seeds! Too much work." Anyway, when she finished the berry looked pretty stupid and she was angry with me and wanted me to fix it because it didn't look right. Sometimes you can't win!

T, I laughed about James lining up 'Wots of dead bugs'. Too funny.

Bug, re: DD - She probably should inform him that she is expecting. If she is agitated about it it probably isn't a good plan not to make sure he knows. Also, he might have a pretty bad attitude about her if he hires her and doesn't realize she is going to be out of work for four months on maternity.

OK the Rahjii is marching on my lap and sitting on the keyboard so I'm going to zip out of here for now.

Later all
    Deanne

PS Kathy,more spring pics would be greatly appreciated as it is supposed to snow tonight. Arrggghh....

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Sue, why can't we have Friday a day early this week? I want a long weekend.

• taryn
    17 years ago

Lots of joy here at home. It's all good, and I'm anticipating more....

I know you all are trying to move on, and I truly meant it when I said I hoped we could get past this. But no matter how pretty the pictures, how chirpy the posts, it's like this big, black cloud still looms over this place. There has been no closure. So:

In an ideal Idyll world...

-We would never say or do anything that might possibly hurt or aggravate someone else.

-If we thought it, and actually typed it, we would never hit "send" when we should hit "delete". Feelings arent right or wrong, they just are. (Though printing and burning such thoughts for cathartic release might be theraputic.)

-We would all think twice, post once, and never when angry.

-If we read something that did hurt or aggravate us, we would try to be understanding. Perhaps a private note to the individual would make them re-think their post and stop things from getting out of hand. (Note, this does NOT apply to lurkers emailing nasty notes, which is cowardly and unacceptable.)

-We wouldnt be self-righteous or judgemental or accusatory, or expect things from others that it is just not possible to receive. We would attempt to see if we had misinterpreted the message somehow, or were bringing other issues to the situation that shouldn't be there. We would never ask [what could be perceived as] pointed questions, gang up on someone, betray things told to us in confidence, name call (anonymously or not), post rude or threatening images, make snide remarks or cruel jokes, question anyones moral or spiritual values, or rehash ancient history.

-We would be honest with ourselves and each other if we did play a part, and apologize, sincerely. Emotions ride high, PMS happens, people have pain or stress or not enough sleep, a bad day, the full moon hits. We would all acknowledge our role in the matter and come clean. Then move on with a clear conscience.

-Apologies would be acknowledged and accepted so that healing could take place and a real fresh start could occur. The dirt would be cleaned up, not just swept under the carpet. (Do they make carpets that big?)

-"Forgive and forget" would be the order of the day, not just "forget".

-The friendly, caring, respectful, funny and compassionate qualities that the people of this forum are known for would come shining through, rising above the hurt and obstacles. We would all talk the talk, and walk the walk.

-It would never be winter.

You know, all except the last one are entirely possible...

It may be too late to repair some bridges, but everyone can aspire to try a little harder in the future. Take it or leave it, but this needed to be said. And I guess since I started this forum, it was up to me to say it. I had to get it off my chest, for whatever it's worth.

I wish you all the best, (yes, you too Marian)

Taryn

• taryn
    17 years ago

I'll leave you with a song. This one embodies the spirit of the ideal Idyll poster, IMHO, and goes out to the memory of EP, whos wisdom, patience and kindness are sorely missed.

Suddenly I See by KT TUNSTALL

Her face is a map of the world
    Is a map of the world
    You can see she's a beautiful girl
    She's a beautiful girl
    And everything around her is a silver pool of light
    The people who surround her feel the benefit of it
    It makes you calm
    She holds you captivated in her palm

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
    This is what I wanna be
    Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)