Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

The Nana Thread - April 2011

gardenbug
13 years ago

DD is working on a quilt for Skyler's new bedroom. She is playing with the various fabrics at this stage:

{{gwi:153592}}

Siblings

{{gwi:153593}}

Leo's one man band

{{gwi:153594}}

Comments (38)

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

They are just to cute. I like the blues and browns together.

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Leo and Isla have matching chairs -- those bumbo seats are great!

{{gwi:153595}}

Mommy insists that I be warm, even in the house - hence the ad hoc leg warmers (but they really don't show off my dainty legs very well, LOL:

{{gwi:153596}}

I only like to take naps this way..... I'm a pistol that way (the folks at daycare just can't get me to sleep any other way)

{{gwi:153597}}

-- from her Grammy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh what a sweet little imp! I LOVE polka dots! And Isla is doing very well in the hair department too! (How neat that she wears a bib with my name on it)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In April
    I will go away
    to far off Spain
    or old Bombay
    and dream about
    hot soup all day.
    Oh my oh once
    oh my oh twice
    oh my oh
    chicken soup
    with rice.

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Isla is a snuggler. I know they want babies to sleep on their backs. But it seems unnatural to me.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I just want to snuggle with Isla. Nothing more special than that. Leo looks like such a happy little guy and big sister really is growing up. She looks tall.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some of the dresses my friend Claire sewed for Ivy. She does such neat work! There are always special touches like piping, linings, rickrack and cute buttons. I gave her free reign to sew what she wished except for the first dress.

This dress was copied from a French dress that DD wore when she was 3 years old.
    {{gwi:153598}}

This blue dress has polka dot bloomers too.
    {{gwi:153599}}

Ivy already likes to twirl around, so this ruffled dress should be a hit.
    {{gwi:153600}}

She's made enough garments for an orphanage of 2 year old girls!

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning dresses, 'bug. The last one is my favorite too - she'll adore the twirly skirt - perfect!

-Cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

I think I like the blue one best, although they're all beautiful. If Ivy likes to swirl around, someone should make her a circle skirt! I can still remember liking to twirl in one of those (with matching 'bloomers'... :-) I'd actually like a circle skirt for me now - I like how the fabric falls. I need to find a pattern for one.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We used to have air registers on the floor of the house I grew up in. They were great for full skirts! I also tried drying my hair on them...not very successfully. Such was life without toys...and I'm NOT complaining!

That blue dress is really amazing. It has adjustable buttons at the back of the waist and has shoulder straps that are also adjustable. The top is lined with the polka dot fabric as well.

Woody, did you ever hear of "poodle skirts"? I had one of those... I hope they never return in fashion!

Here is a link that might be useful: 1950s

• chelone
    13 years ago

I love circle skirts.

And the "attitude" in Isla's second shot, lol. "You go, girl!" (you sticky little urchin).

Now... about "cuir vernis" shoes, 'bug. Or do they make Birkenstocks in her size?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

A poodle skirt is just a circle skirt with a silly poodle appliqu�d onto it... What don't you like about it? It's tremendous fun for little girls.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't go for poodles, rhinestones or black & pink any more. Sorry if I offend....

• Lara Noles
    13 years ago

Dropping by to share pictures from an Easter Egg coloring party this afternoon. Lots of fun!

{{gwi:153602}}

{{gwi:153604}}

{{gwi:153605}}All four of the little devils,I mean darlings, eating lunch

{{gwi:153606}}

And for the record we love poodle skirts at our house

You can see the poodle in this one

{{gwi:153607}}

But this one's my favorite

{{gwi:153608}}

Now what little girl wouldn't like that?

Eden

• chelone
    13 years ago

Too funny.

Introducing Miss BeBe Daniels...

lol

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

What lovely little dresses 'bug. I'm sure she will love them.

Eden, the egg party looks like lots of fun. Any spilled dye? Bella reminds me of Fancy Nancy.

Here are a few shots from our visit last Sat. to the Butterfly House. I've included a few shots of the beautiful plants they had there. Finally Kenzie with her dinosaur bone.

{{gwi:153609}}
    This was a gorgeous plant. Like a small bush.
    {{gwi:153610}}
    {{gwi:153611}}
    {{gwi:153612}}
    Luna moth - largest moth in the world - 10" across
    {{gwi:153614}}
    {{gwi:153615}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love the final shot with the smile, the missing tooth, the jacket (decorated with buttons?) and the BONE!
    That's a great shot of the luna moth too!

Our nurseries are closed down today. It was below zero last night and the winds are fierce today. My plants are spending the day indoors today. At least there are no biting bugs!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Where's my response to Eden? Hmmm.
    In any case, that Bella is quite the star!

Somehow coloring eggs went out of vogue a while back, so we ended up hiding Easter chocolate candies. Occasionally we'd find one in August or November under a cushion or somewhere...not at its best.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Yes, the button jack. I found that at a thrift store for a dollar and thought it would make a great "garden jacket" Someone went to alot of work to sew on all those buttons. I removed the large "E" that was on the back.

• chelone
    13 years ago

What a charming smile. It's obvious that there is great love and security between the photographer and the subject.

Brava, for a job so very well done, Michelle. She's darling. And so grown up. (yikes).

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DD is testing her new camera...and I'm delighted!
    Ivy at play
    {{gwi:153616}}

Leo has Reed's "dolphin" mouth. :)
    {{gwi:153618}}

The gang at the first sign of spring:
    {{gwi:153620}}

Ivy dressed for the outdoors. LOL!
    {{gwi:153621}}

Ivy in her "ivy" dress, dodging a snowball.
    {{gwi:153622}}

Enjoying modeling her new ladybug dress
    {{gwi:153623}}

and more summer stuff.
    {{gwi:153624}}

It's been a year since she looked like this:
    {{gwi:153625}}

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Fun to see. I especially like the gang shot and Ivy in the Ivy dress. There all cute.

N

• jak1
    12 years ago

Oh the kids are all so cute! I agree, the shot of Ivy in the Ivy dress is adorable. Kenzie is so grown-up! Look at the gap in the teeth!! How endearing!

Cheers,

Julie

• chelone
    12 years ago

I love the Ivy dress. She is getting really big.

But my favorite is the "outdoor attire". :)

Leo looks pretty pleased with himself, too. Lol, "dolphin mouth"... it's perfect.

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Michelle, I've never seen a dark colored bone like Kenzie's dinasour bone. What is it from?
    Norma

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's an idea you might enjoy playing with. I tried tonight for the first time.(Complete with mistakes...because you don;t see the result until you click the final button)

{{gwi:153626}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Make your own magazine cover

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

Birthday party photos...

Waiting for guests to arrive...

{{gwi:153627}}

Crafting

{{gwi:153628}}

Lunch of, if you're familiar with Dora, what else but tacos!

{{gwi:153629}}

A game of Pin The Bracelet On Dora

{{gwi:153630}}

Pinata

{{gwi:153631}}

Pinata success!

{{gwi:153632}}

Birthday cupcakes

{{gwi:153633}}

The birthday girl. Can't believe she's already two!

{{gwi:153636}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Girly pink fun!!!!

I wish we could get all the 2 year olds together Eden.... This weekend Ivy may get to ride a horse! I hope the camera will record the events.

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

Yes, we had a lot of fun, Marie. I bet Ivy will love riding a horse! I too hope Sarah sends you photos so we can see. We took the kids a couple of times last year to a farm where they were led around on horses. Bella loved them, but she really loves all animals. Kate was more hesitant but it's funny how she'll do something she wouldn't otherwise do if Bella does it first or does it with her. Is Ivy like that with Skyler too? Bella also loved milking the cow and was pretty good at it, lol.

It would be so much fun to get the kids together! I'd love to have Bella and Kenzie meet some day too. I'm thinking they're almost to the age where they could become penpals in the not too distant future. Wouldn't that be great, Michelle?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ivy is pretty independent and eager to try anything! She does think Skyler is pretty neat though and enjoys rough play with him. He spins her around in a swing in the basement until she gets sick.
    She concentrates on things more than Skyler. For example, she loves to play at the piano.
    Skyler also enjoys playing "potty mouth". He thinks it's the greatest thing to try to get Ivy to say "fox" or "frog" or "fork". He laughs like anything at her. The thing is, he laughs more because of what she could be saying than what she actually is saying. She does get the R pronounced in there mostly and she's got the G sound as well just recently. But then she tries to pronounce it wrong because of all the attention he gives her for it. OY, big brothers!

Pen Pals! Great Idea! They could send pictures to each other too!

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

It looks like Kate's party was a fun one. Kenzie had a Dora party a few years ago too.

I especially like the ivy dress but they are all quite adorable.

Norma, we don't really know on the bone, but recently heard of someone who found a bone in a creek in our area that took it to be identified. They were told it could very well be a dinosaur or bison bone.

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

Wow, Michelle! When I saw that photo of Kenzie over on FB I didn't realize there was a possibility it was a real dinasour bone! This was our first Dora party. Bella's party themes always involved animals.

Marie, yes, they're very independent at 2! Kate's favorite word is "SELF!" meaning she wants to do something herself. She uses it constantly.

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

The last of the Easter photos for this year

Julia at church on Easter morning

{{gwi:153637}}

Bella hunting Easter Eggs

{{gwi:153639}}

Bella and Kate at the Easter Bunny Breakfast

{{gwi:153641}}

Kate and Wally checking out their Easter basket loot

{{gwi:153642}}

It was a fun holiday!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The photo of Bella and Kate looking out the windows reminds me of Easters long ago. It was usually too cold to be outside in our dresses and bare legs, but we made the mile long walk somehow. My sister and I always had new grosgrain ribbons for our straw hats for church. (I always wanted velvet ribbons on my hat and black patent leather shoes with bows. Never got them though.) Julia must be very quiet to last through the service! Leo makes lots of noises!

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

Big sister entertaining little sister while Grandma makes dinner

{{gwi:153643}}

Julia and friends

{{gwi:153645}}

Sleeping babe

{{gwi:153647}}

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Precious pictures Eden.

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Eden, love the dresses, the loot and the sleeping sweetheart. Easter was quite special for your family. Here are a few from our Easter. The day was beautiful so an outdoor hunt was in order.

{{gwi:153649}}

{{gwi:153651}}
    {{gwi:153653}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love watching siblings together Eden, no matter the age difference! Sleeping babes are always sweet.

Well Michelle, that dress sure reminds me of Ivy's green one! She seems to be a shoe person too. And another coincidence, I sent Ivy some shapes to thread together for her birthday...much larger ones than Kenzie can deal with of course. What great Nanas you ladies are! Lucky kids!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21