Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll #431 ...Adios Winter , Hello Spring !

dodgerdudette
15 years ago

Carry on my friends !

Comments (102)

• triple_creek
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eden, Love the kitty pile up.

Kathy, the horrified peeps are a hoot. I really enjoyed your poppies and the garden show pictures too.

Martie, Nice box your brother made. Looks like things will be popping out of the ground there , soon. It was windy here today too, but warm enough to weed some of those darn cool season weeds.

Mary , I'm looking forward to seeing more of your garden too. I imagine working on other peoples gardens has given you a new perspective on your own.

Cindy, happy to hear you were able to get the new trellis (arbors?) up. Pictures coming soon I hope.

Saucy, I love gathering around outdoor fires. I hope lots of cleanup was accomplished. Did you get to paint the leaves?

Julie, bummer your internet is out. Hooray for Inter Phils independence. Hope it makes things a little more enjoyable for all. Sounds like your seedlings are doing great. I think most of mine will get direct sowed.

Michelle, nice that you are getting some decent weather. Have you had the paint and clean day at your parents house yet?

Hi Chelone and Marian(hope you are feeling better Marian)
    And everyone else.

I'm pretty achy tonite so think I'll take a couple ibuprofin and hit the sack. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Monday greetings to all, I did my ten minutes of weeding- the dandelions are in ascendancy. Weeding will be prominently featured in my upcoming 4.5 day weekend. We had frost last night, the wind machines were blowing in the vineyards when I got up this morning. I had moved the tender stuff inside so all was well here.

Eden, I always forget about your plethora of felines , but when I am reminded I always ponder the logistics- the lap thing . I only have two but they are always competing for lap time, trying to stare each other into abandoning the quest. At least yours all seem to like each other ! I enjoy how cats select certain spots to hang out in.

Chelone, I have a Kenmore gas range, nothing fancy , bought new in 2002 I think. I dont remember how much it cost , about 700 bucks sticks in my head. It has all the features I require, self-cleaning, a timer, a warming drawer , and a broiler. Kenmore is a Sears private label , and the stove is probably manufactured by Whirlpool , GE or the like for Sears. I think the only advantage with an upgraded unit would be the better evenness and accuracy in oven temperature. I always set mine 5 degrees lower that the recipe suggests.

Hi Norma !

I have some spring action here too- {{gwi:153747}}From Garden 2009

Rozanne {{gwi:153750}}From Garden 2009
    {{gwi:153752}}From Garden 2009

Scilla {{gwi:153754}}From Garden 2009

Peace Out ! {{gwi:153756}}From Garden 2009

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Chelone, I did force a branch of the Quince. I was amazed though because the flowers stayed a pastel color instead of the bright red.

Kathy , did you just get the peace sign at the show? I saw several things in the pictures I would like. I've always wanted to do the sphere thing with the barrel rings.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did indeed Norma, from a company called Rustiques out of Eureka on the North Coast of California , I buy something from them every year-it was only 5 bucks . I'll have to do a photo tour of my rusty-sick things..

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good evening...

Enjoyed all the spring photos. Love that peace sign, Kathy. On my way to bed, celebrating DS and DD Birthdays this week so will get back later in the week, I hope. Have a good week!

:-)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I hope we get to see some birthday pictures PM!

I'm quite stressed this week...but kept myself busy with knitting, washed the car, bought gas, picked up some groceries and dog cookies, exercised, made salad and sweet potato fries for dinner, etc. DH used the BBQ for the first time this year..made a steak for himself.

Tomorrow night is my photo class on taking portraits. One evening only, but I know the instructor. We both love clematis...

I saw some fantastic yarn I want to buy...It costs a fortune, but I still want it. Maybe I'll rethink this on the weekend. I'd love to make something for myself with it...

In the meantime, I'm making another baby outfit in red, one of DD's favourite colours.

The garden grasses need cutting back, but it hasn't been warm enough for me to work out there. I'm waiting for Mary's photos to inspire me.

Good luck Woody! Hope the course goes smoothly.

Julie, that's the pits about your computer woes once again...but news of the basement apartment sounds good. I hope this will be a good maturing experience! I hope to hear "greenhouse" news coming from your direction soon! (Mother's Day isn't far off, right?)

To Bed!!!
    'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

I believe I've zeroed in on the retrofit shower base, after looking at rather a lot of them. If I go with the one I've got my eye on I can order the new countertop to match it. I like the aggrigate "colors", but am unwilling to fork over more pork for that. I think white will be just fine, thank you. That way it will match the commode and the bidet. And selecting tile will be a no-brainer. When in doubt, "Keep it simple, stupid". I ran out of gas looking at shower head fixtures last night, and was not successful looking at vanity bowls... not what I want, at all! Clearly, there will be more exploration of the recommended sites in my future. I would like to have the selection accomplished by the end of this coming weekend, but fear that may be too optimistic.

I love the Peace sign, Kathy; how can you go wrong with the sentiment and the $5 pricetag? I can't remember who commented on the yellow poppies and the Muscari, but that was a lovely picture. Right now it's hard to imagine color will return to the area around this house, but it will. Our refrigerator is a Kenmore and it runs nicely, I hate the textured surface though. It manages to store any grime on your fingers in the recesses of finish... I gave up trying to keep it clean years ago. I now regard it as the immune system booster. :)

More cold today and an equally unappealing project at work. There were dead insects (the kind with lots of legs) and egg cases inside the covers and I instantly thought Eden and Michelle would be grossed right out. The glamorous field of yacht interior refurbishing is not for the faint of heart. Or weenies. ;)

Looking forward to the next knitting project's premier, 'bug. Sorry to hear your day was stressful. Kick the dog, willya?

Off to chaos-land now. Ta-ta!

Where is Deanne?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Since I am up early waiting for the day to get going, I thought I would make a few more comments. ...

I am worrying a little bit about you Marian. I didn't like the sound of dizziness and weakness. I didn't think those were typical Fibromyalgia symptoms. I hope you are getting an appt to see your Doc. I also am a Viburnum fan. I have six of them but wish I had room for more. There are so many great cultivars.

Saucy and Kathy certainly provided some 'Peep' fun. lol I am a peep fan usually but I don't feel the urge so far this year. Where are Mary's Peep shows?

G'bug...I was so happy to hear about what is up with DS and how old he is. Did I dream up that I already posted that and that our oldest is 41? I say you should go for it with the yarn you want. :-)

Chelone...happy to hear of your visit with DB. Is he older? Did you say he is an engineer or contractor? ... So lucky to have your Grandmother's rocking chair. I have nothing from any grandparent, that they touched or wrote or made. My Mom was the baby in the family and moved away from home and I think her older sister ended up with everything from their parents. I find it so odd that none of it was shared with my Mom. I wish I had thought to ask her more about that. I don't know much about my Dad's family which is another mystery ... Sorry to hear about your grandfather's suicide. It sounds like you have a healthy outlook about it.

Martie...glad you have digitalis coming back, that's great! Look forward to blooming photos. :-) I see I have a few coming back in the garden too.

Cindy...thanks for the warning on the Sambucus Black Lace. I have Black Beauty that has to be moved soon. It has only been in it's location a year, so I hope it is not too bad.

Oh my Eden....your clowder of cats! lol They keep each other warm I guess.

Julie...very happy for you that DS has made the move and is working. That has to be the best news you've had all year.

Our taxes have been done for about a month. DH does them every year. He used to do them by hand but now he uses Turbo Tax and loves it.

I forget the brand of our stove. It was replaced when we did the kitchen over about 15 years ago. It is an electric self clean. Not my favorite stove. We take apart the burners when the stove gets cleaned and they start to disintegrate pretty easily. $25. a piece to replace them, so I would rather buy a new stove. I would love a gas stove to cook on and something professional and larger because it gets a lot of use at our house, but I'm not thinking it is going to be replaced any time soon, as long as it keeps working. I inherited a fear of gas in the house from my parents, so I don't think I am ever going to have a gas stove.

Norma...what a bright colorful sight that Quince is!

So Kathy...what are those pretty red and white flowers in your first photo? And the photo just above the scilla?

DS is arriving tomorrow with the dog, Noodles. This will be the first time the dog is here without snow on the ground, so some training to keep her out of the flower beds will be in order. Any tips on how to do that? I will try to get a few photos that are post-able G'bug, but my group is a little photo shy. DD is taking DS out on a shopping trip and both boys out to lunch in the city, while we baby sit the dog, who cries the whole time DS is gone. Last time I tried giving her bits of turkey everytime she stopped crying, but she is so anxious when he is gone. .... I started some seeds finally and cut back one rose that has to move this spring. It had already been putting out growth. I thought that was a little early. I am wondering if I should be hurrying to cut the rest back, but they will have to wait until next weekend.

Okay....I think I touched on everything I had a thought on. [g] Again...have a great week everyone! :-)

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

Yes, where is Deanne?

Marian - hope you are feeling better too.

Norma - the quince is simply stunning. This year I am totally drawn to the most vibrant colors and that fits the bill exactly. How is your guitar going?

For no particular reason except it appeals to me from an artist whose work I love.

Modest Pear:
    {{gwi:153758}}

Have a great day

Mary

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Oops - I forgot to mention how great it is to see more of Kathy's color. "Peace" is way cool! I really like the Cerinthe which I've never had huge luck with but I adore the flowers. One year I visited Christopher Lloyds amazing garden at Great Dixter and he had Cerinthe in bloom everywhere. It was stunning.

Saucy - neat to see the gang at your house too. Having a supervised fire is a huge draw here. One play date I had David and friend cook sausages on sticks over one for supper and years later they still talk about it. Simple pleasures, especially those outdoors, are often the best. Happy cycling to Jake. We've fitted David's bike on an exercise stand indoors and he's enjoying pedalling again.

Mary

PS - this year I'm trying Tigrida in pots - has anyone had any luck?

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Cute Pear picture, Mary. I have two of those Quince and they are really showing off this year as are the daffs. One of those rare years when they haven't been beat down by rain or a freeze. We are supposed to get heavy storms this evening so That may do them in.
    I kind of have to let the guitar take a back seat when I have lots of weeding to do. The arthritis in my fingers won't let me do both. But I do love playing. I always like to hear about Davids playing. I would love to hear him play. Annie too.

It is so windy today , I may opt for starting some seeds and new coleus cuttings.

Bug go for the yarn, and make yourself something.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sneaky Awfice post..

PM , those flowers in pic one are Freesias , at peak bloom right now , and the little blue flower is Geranium 'Rozanne" in my humble opinion vastly superior to 'Johnsons Blue' .

Mary, Cerinthe reseeds copiously here, is impervious to frost, and has to be monitored carefully so as not to take over.I only had to plant it once.

Later !
    Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Mary, I think the pear photo is wonderful...and that Chelone should hang a copy in her new bathroom!

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

For those of you considering wall colour...

{{gwi:153760}}

And some times I think my dogs are actually part cat. Here is Phoebe listening to me this morning...

{{gwi:153762}}

Later!
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm back from a wonderful but too-short trip. I've haven't unpacked nor downloaded photos yet, but I thought I would catch up on idylling. I think the highlight was Kathy's horrified Peeps. And just where are those Peeps now, Kathy?

And I had to really chuckle at Cindy's thoughts of me in a warmer place yesterday, as Monday was quite cool and blustery in Santa Fe. Fortunately, we had paid attention to the weather forecasts, and arranged our activities accordingly. I have to say overall that all the Santa Feans we encountered were very friendly and helpful, and we got many good recommendations of places to go. Our waiter at breakfast Monday morning recommended the happy hour at the Rio Chama Steakhouse bar. We actually stopped much earlier in the day and chatted with the bartender, Orlando. The guys had noticed a door marked "The Humidor" and asked about it. It turns out that New Mexico allows smoking in only two indoor places and this was one of the two. He sent us over to check it out. There are two rooms, with the second room being slightly nicer than the first. That room is furnished with nice leather couches and chairs, and nice-size flat screen TV. Both rooms had killer ventilation systems, so there was only a mild cigar scent hanging in the air, not the overpowering stench you would expect. The bartender told us that the governor often would smoke cigars in there.

We decided to stop back for their happy hour and enjoy some of the bar food that Orlando recommended. We had a platter of yummy mini-burgers, a platter of lobster nachos that I had to pass on because of the guacamole, and a great cheese fondue with bread and apples. Once we were fortified, the guys decided that they had to try a cigar in The Humidor, and the women decided to go along to keep them in line (hah!). The waitress said she would take us over there, and someone asked if it was true that the governor visited there. "Yes - he's in there right now. That's why I have to bring you in."

We had to wait outside for a minute while she got the all-clear from security, and then we entered. Sure enough, Bill Richardson was sitting with a few other people in the second room. There were two or three nice young men sporting wires out of their ears who discreetly moved in and out of our room occasionally, just keeping a judicious eye on things. One of them sat with us for several minutes and talked about his job, which he really enjoys. While we were chatting, the "voices in his head" told him it was time to go, and Richardson and the security detail quietly departed. The others in the group stayed behind. About fifteen minutes later, one of them invited our group back to the second room, "to see why the governor had to leave." There on the TV was Richardson, being interviewed live on the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC. The interview centered on a bill he had just signed abolishing the death penalty in New Mexico.

After the interview finished, the staffers chatted with us for several minutes. They had heard we were from Illinois, so we talked a bit about ex-Governor Ryan's death penalty actions a few years ago. The staffers introduced themselves as Richardson's chief of staff, deputy chief of staff and secretary of finance. Very friendly folks, and we did tell them we were having a great time in their state.

So that was our "brush with fame" story. When I get the photos done, I will post either a separate thread or a link. I've posted a link to the interview video below. Right now, I think I need to go unpack, get laundry going and think about dinner. No one will take my order this evening, and there will be no green chiles on my dinner.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The WALAT this evening was pensive in nature, pondering activites on the upcoming days-off. I surely want to make the best use of my time , and being indoors is not on the agenda. I had initially planned a financial day doing some banking activities but Springtime seems to derail that stuff pretty easily. I am trying to get in a position to take half of Thursday off as well, and Ill know tomorrow whether this is do-able. I also need to purchase a new market umbrella as mine fell over and broke in one of our few winter storms the employee discount will ease the pain of this substantially.

Excellent call bug, Marys pear photo and Chelones loo .. one spot of whimsy in the indstro- lav is called for ! And I giggled at both the painting cartoon and silly Phoebes ears. Im adding my voice to the chorus of get the yarn and of course take a pic for us !

V, I loved reading of your SW adventure , and your brush with fame..Which hotel did you stay in ? Did you make High Country Gardens ? and the Peeps are in fact in a ziplock bag, soon to be awfice décor and a experiment to determine whether Peeps or Twinkies have a longer shelf life.

Time for dinner (no Peeps involved)
    Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

OK, one more...

{{gwi:153764}}

• chelone
    15 years ago

I am proud to announce that there is art work in our bathroom! two contemporary collage still lifes involving pears, no less, done by a very dear friend of our's (still lives didn't sound quite right). Mary's modest pear would feel right at home. I did not work on the project last night, just didn't feel like it.

Once again it was COLD and very windy yesterday. I schlepped another load of wood in during the afternoon. And I fired the stove up, wondering aloud when the regular "burning season" would come to an end. It's hard to believe it's time to get the chainsaw out and the fire up the splitter to take care of the stuff that blew down over the winter. And a call to the tree guy is in order to clean up storm damage and remove a few very large and dangerous branches that threaten the BIL's garage. Looks like we'll have cordwood aplenty for the next 3-4 yrs..

'bug, get the fabulously expensive yarn and make yourself something beautiful! Mum always called buying yourself something really wonderful a "hyacinth for the soul", and often lovely little things would magically appear "for no good reason". Too often we get too wrapped up in finding the reason why we shouldn't. Austerity measures for the sake of saying you can get by makes for a joyless exisitence. I had to look twice to figure out which end was which on Phoebe!

PM, my brother is a building inspector and a fully licensed contractor. He is also a metalsmith of great skill (think very small, very intricate medical instrument prototypes), with a good deal of experience in automotive restoration (think classic cars). We share a delight in mastering new skills and using them efficiently and creatively. He loves cats, too.

V., I'm impressed to learn you entered The Humidor; did you actually take a couple of tokes of one of those hand-rolled numbers? lol. I have always admired Mr. Richardson and I hope the taint of scandel doesn't stick to him. He has a no-nonsense, practical approach to things that I admire, though without the panache of so many others I think his talent tends to be overlooked. I will have to go back and read the interview you linked when I have more time.

I have created a monster in the helpmeet, I fear. I am now "on the stick" for another dessert. This time I think a spice cake with mocha buttercream... and I've been toying with the idea of mocha tapioca, too (rolls off the tongue nicely, eh?). I did send a large section of the last cake home with our guest lest you think we've been on a dessert bender.

OK, off to work and already looking forward to coming home. Sigh. Lately, it has been the awfice for me... too much micro-management and nit-picking and not enough belly laughs or general silliness.

Have a good one, friends.

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

I am meeting with the head of HR this morning so have a little time to kill. I have a list of questions ready to go though I have a sinking feeling that I know the answers already.

V - sounds like a neat trip. I LOVE green chiles.

Kathy - I am off on Friday too but not Annie and David (different school districts) and I'm looking forward to spending a day in the garden doing exactly what I want. We can think of each other weeding away to our heart's content.

GB - hope you go for the wool:0) In the summer Mum and I splurged on a beautiful skein of hand dyed wool to make my rainbow socks. Mum told me what a pleasure it was to knit, and everytime I put them on they bring me joy.

I love finding ways to balance out purchasing something special. The week we went to the theatre I served lentils twice and had them for lunch another two days. It wasn't a real hardship as we all enjoy eating them, especially the little French ones, and my tasty lentil stew thinned down to make an excellent soup for the following days. Economies on the grocery front made for a fun splurge at the theatre. Now, to save enough to offset the thousands we'll need for healthcare I might be buying lentils by the sack:0(

Chelone - Mocha Tapioca - do you have a recipe to share?

We had a wood fire last night but temperatures are warming to the 40's today. I'm so ready to go out in a t-shirt and feel the warmth of the sun again.

Have a good day everyone

Mary

• jak1
    15 years ago

So. This morning I looked at the clock and thought to myself "Well, 6:30, I have time to Idyll right now." Came down to the computer and saw early morning posts, browsed around, glanced at the computer time: 8:35. Nonono! School bus leaves at 8:40. Checked the clock, yup, 8:35. Got TCS up, fed, dressed and walked to school by 9:20. Day continued from there. I am now sitting here, dirty hair, kitchen not cleaned up, PHS meeting at 7 p.m., bunch of young folks coming for dinner....well, we'll have burgers on the barbecue, I'll wash my hair, and that will take care of my day!

Finished the basic clean-up of the garden today, as it is warm and sunny now with rain predicted for the next 5 days. Lots of stuff peeking out - but, much to my surprise, no sign of the garlic. It is usually very early. I hope I didn't lose it for some unforseen reason.

Mary and Kathy - I wish you both a good Friday in the garden - think of the rest of us - working, or whatever....I hope there is at least a little bit of good news for you, Mary, from HR.

A neighbour of mine passed away last night, not an unexpected death, but sad nonetheless, and I think I will somehow be involved in funeral stuff. I am organizing a group memorial from the neighbours - flowers or a donation or whatever, and that kind of organizing always takes a bit of time...and after a seemingly long winter, a bit of visiting over the fence so to speak.

No folks, TCS is staying put. Did I ever mention that we hired a super lawyer to represent us when TCS was born? As a result, it is right in the custody agreement that he remains with us. Our reasoning was the establishement of stability, at the very least. It has worked out well. It is good when the CAS (maybe called "Chilren's Protective Services in the States?) looks at you and says "You have WHO to represent you???".

Oh Eden, what a nice bunch of kitties. I love cats!

Marie, I got a kick out of the cartoons, but Phoebe's ears are the funniest! She looks like such a sweetie! Buy the wool.

Wow, V., what an interesting unexpected trip bonus!

Chelone, it sounds as if both you and DB are very accomplished people! No wonder you and the helpmeet (I love that expression) are so good at doing stuff - it must be in the genes!!

Going to sign off for now - wash hair, dishes, and think about how much my input is required at the Hort Soc. executive meeting tonight...

Cheers. Maybe tomorrow I'll read the clock right.

Yes, where are Deanne and Marian?

Cheers again, Julie

• chelone
    15 years ago

No recipe to share on the Mocha Tapioca, Mary. I'm just gonna "go for it" with some baking chocolate and the dregs of our morning coffee. I'm a bit unsure how the acid in the coffee may affect the thickening process but I'll know in a little while and will report back when I have the results.

You seem to approach things very much the same way I do, Mary. I have always been pretty good at "finding" money by looking carefully at expenditures and being willing to ask myself again, "do I want this or do I need this?" and then, "how much do I want this?". I find that sort of inner dialogue keeps me on budget without making me feel like a drudge.

Good thoughts on the meeting with HR; so much to consider and so much to add worry to a demoralizing situation. I hope you have sunny skies on Friday and have a grand time in the garden. It will do you a world of good to stock up on vitamin D and smell dirt. :)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

It is a spring rain falling here now. Not unpleasant at all. A few snow patches left still, but, hey, it is still March!

Yesterday I bought some place mats for a young friend's wedding shower. Things are constantly changing in ways I don't care for. You see, she, like many others, has a registry on line. In fact one for kitchen and bath supplies, another for china. But neither site offers illustrations of the items. Am I old fashioned in that I'd actually like to see what I buy? I'd like to select what I want to give! Well another friend who is hosting the event added that the future bride also wanted place mats and had no specific color scheme in mind as they will be renting an apartment in Toronto for another year or two. So I chose to buy some spring themed place mats and matching kitchen towels. Next I suppose will be a registry for the actual wedding gifts.... I really like her, so I don't mean to sound grouchy. I think I AM a fuddydud and am showing my age.

My photography class last night was a bit of a disappointment. I made sure to ask what I should bring along and was told to bring my camera. Well, my friend the teacher was very pleasant and informative...but we had NO hands on practice at all. I found that odd for a class on taking indoor portraits. Here we were, only 9 people, and I think we could have learned so much taking photos of each other under some expert guidance. Oh well...

Tonight is my first dinner prepared in a slow cooker. It's a Mexican creation, so the verdict should be soon! I hope I can take this EASY recipe to Sarah's and double the amount.

My friend's conclusion on this year's Canada Blooms show in Toronto is that it was a slide downhill. She even wonders if it will take place next year. Her event was very well received, except for one lady who assumed she had won the competition but in fact had not...and had brought an entourage to celebrate with her. One of life's embarrassing moments and poor Lynn had to handle the delicate moments!

I've been thinking about the Red River flooding and my friend in Fargo ND. The business of sandbagging is tedious, heavy and dirty. But it is wonderful to have people join together like this. It is headed for Manitoba now I believe.

Well DH just arrived home and I'd best go prepare a salad. I'm still cogitating the yarn scenario...but it might cut into Idyllunion finances. Hmmmm. Money is such a boring and time consuming subject. The store is only open on weekends.
    'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

The spice cake is frosted and under the dome. The layers are a little uneven and therefore the edges of the shorter one are a bit overdone. Note to self: pay more attention when putting the batter in the pans, dummy! I made mocha frosting for it, wonder if you have favorite frostings for spice cakes? I've left the mocha tapioca for tomorrow; I'm out of gas right now.

I am thankful there is no danger of flooding in my area. I can't imagine how frightening it must be to watch a river rise and rise and wonder if your home and all you've worked so hard for is going to be steeped in all manner of foulness. I also wonder why the hell people continue to build in areas that are so prone to flooding and storm surges!

Julie, that's not a nice way to wake up and face the world. Oversleeping always keeps me a bit anxious for the remainder of the day, isn't that silly? TCS is a very fortunate little boy to have the love, stability, and support you and DH obviously shower on him. I'm sure it isn't always easy or fun but one of the things about being a "grown up" is stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing when it's required. I know how that can be and how tough it can be sometimes. I'm sorry you've lost a friend, too; it sounds as though it was an illness that caused the death?

I'm tired of looking at sinks (on the computer and full of dishes!) and I'm going to toddle off to the boudoir to commune with some resident felines and read a bit.

Nighty-night.

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good evening

Well, I'm very glad I set up the HR meeting as our discussion led us to an option I hadn't considered (face to face is so much more productive than emailing back and forth or playing phone tag.) There is the possibility of another job that would allow me to keep all my benefits, accrued sick time, retirement, plus full health insurance. I would no longer be with the same project but working with the health office in the city schools.

I need to keep my eye on the website and apply as soon as the position opens, then email the head of HR to let her know my application is in. It is far from a done deal, but having support from the top will be a big plus. I'm feeling so much more hopeful at this possibility and that something will work out I'm ready to burst into song. Perhaps our luck has changed:0) (Zippedy doo da, zippedy day......)

David has been somewhat on the fence about continuing in his role in the upcoming school play. He has a small solo and dance as the red knight in Alice in Wonderland. His chorus teacher very much hoped he would still do it, and said it would be fine to have him perform in a wheelchair if that is what it takes. Instead David is planning on using his walker and I am going to make a horse costume to go over it. It's the sort of fun, creative project I enjoy but I sure wish Babs or Chelone were closer to give me a hand.

Mary

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Mary, I have my fingers crossed that the new position works out. You're over due!

Kathy, we stayed at the Inn of the Anasazi, just off the plaza. Never got to High Country Gardens as my traveling companions all preferred their agaves fermented. But we did an amazing hike at Tsankawi Prehistoric Site that involved climbing ladders, shaking knees (mine) and cliff dwellings. The scenery around Santa Fe is just amazing. I could move there in a minute, and was quite flattered when our breakfast waiter told me that I looked like I lived there.

Sunrise is hurting this evening. My best guess from the scene of the crime evidence is that she was on the loveseat today, and when she hopped down,she caught her leg on the small garbage can and pulled it. She's really favoring that leg right now. I'll have to see how she's doing tomorrow or if a trip to the vet is warranted.

I have some writing to do for my class so I need to run. But where is Deanne? I hope she has not been strangled by a coleus!

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Tell Mystic that crime never pays, V.. I hope the veterinary clinic is not involved... going is a pain and paying can be even worse. Rex's wrecked drivetrain would have handily paid for the bathroom reno.. See why I hate dogs? Had a good chuckle over fermented agaves, though I have no idea what spirit the fermentation yields. I'm looking forward to the photo essay. Good girl with respect the sucking up required to tackle the ladder! I'll bet the cliff dwellings were very cool. It's always good to not look like a tourist, but even better when you don't act like one. ;) I'm certain you had to good sense to leave the black socks and sandals at home.

Mary, you are definitely due for a turnabout in the good fortune department. I'll be sending good thoughts to the cosmos for your delivery from this round of trial and tribulation. How are you going to fashion the horse costume? it sounds like a lot of fun and heaven knows I have the sewing artillery to handle the fabrication end of things. My latest project is the repair of two dog beds for "the wrecking crew", the helpmeet's name for a friend's pair of completely out of control, 3 yr. old Labs.. And there are 3 long-sleeved tee shirts that have need the sleeves shortened for some time now. (can you tell I'm chomping at the bit?)

This is "Friday" for me and I'm counting the hours, lol. It's been a week of repairs which I've actually found interesting. I've never understood why repairs are often shoved in the direction of more junior workers because I think they require the most technical ability and a greater understanding of the function required of the piece to be mended. You cannot repair something quickly, neatly, and securely if you don't know how it was damaged or how it will be used. Aside from being dirty work it's rather like a timed puzzle.

Good thoughts and wishes to all. I'd like to hear from Deanne and Saucy (maybe Wendy?) as there was some discussion about making mud pies under Saucy's supervision yesterday, I think. Maybe there will be pictures of the mud pies and some of the cuttings exchanged... unless of course, Deanne has succumbed in her very own "little shop of horrors".

Counting the hours until my liberation!

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

No, the sandals and black socks stayed at home and the Birkenstock clogs did their duty on the trail.

{{gwi:153765}}

Agaves are distilled into tequila; more than one margarita was consumed over the course of our stay.

And this one is for 'bug. I call it the world's cutest sign. You can guess what it says on the other side.

{{gwi:153767}}

V.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I'm here Chelone. Wendy, Deanne, and I postponed our mud pie making party until the first Sunday in April.

I'm thinking about playing in the mud this afternoon, though. I painted alot of my leaf castings and I figured out my strategy for moving ahead :) I have several good ideas for my water vessels, too, and want to try them out today. My biggest obstacle is fresh leaves being available when I want them, but I have some ideas on that, too (florist, grocery).

Well, GB, splurge on the wool and we'll cover your admission to gardens at IU6 :) That would be a hard choice to make!

V. your trip sounds like fun! Bill Richardson has been one of my favorite current political figures since he worked for the Clinton Admin. He's got a big head, doesn't he? Is it as big in real life? LOL!

The fact that HR gave you a heads up on the job opening Mary is a good sign, at least I think so. I will keep my fingers, toes, and knees crossed!

Hope you and Kathy have a good gardening day tomorrow. They're calling for an overcast/rainy day here, so I guess I'll find something to do inside. I have been thinking of packing away all the winter clothes - that should provoke the weather gods into making it snow again, right?

Well, I'd better get this show on the road....Sarah's running late today!

Saucy

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Hey all! Boy is it slow here today! I hope everyone is OK and just busy getting ready for spring.
    This is OT but could be big so I wanted to warn you to update your anti-virus and put on all Windows security updates NOW.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Computer Virus Time Bomb Could Go Off April 1 - Conficker Virus

The Conficker Internet worm could strike at infected computers around the world on April 1, a security expert warned Monday.
    Conficker is a sophisticated piece of malicious computer software, or malware, that installs itself on a Windows PCs hard drive via specially written Web pages. It then conceals itself on a computer.
    Graham Cluley of the British security firm Sophos confirmed that Conficker is programmed "to hunt for new instructions on April 1."
    However, he added, "This does not mean that anything is going to happen, or that the worm is actually going to do anything. Simply, it is scheduled to hunt a wider range of Web sites for instructions on that date."
    One strange thing about Conficker is that no one yet has any idea what it is programmed to do.
    In February, Cluley told The Times: "Its as if someone is assembling an army of computers around the world, but hasnt yet decided where to point them."
    A worst-case scenario for April 1 would be for all the worlds millions of infected computers to receive simultaneous instructions to attack, or to flood the Internet with spam e-mail.

---------------------------------------------------

Jerri

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made it home from the Awfice at noon today , and have done quite a bit this afternoon. I actually made a list of things I want to accomplish this long weekend, and practical things such as bathroom cleaning, banking, grocery shopping etc are noticeably absent. I expect some of it will get done in spite of myself !

Mary, best of luck to you on your quest for a new position that will assist with some of your benefit woes.

V, I do so love visiting the historical sites in the southwest, is Tsankawi part of Bandeleir ? I remember signs warning people with heart or health issues to skip the trail. Let me know when you move to Santa Fe so I can schedule my calendar for quarterly visits, lol.

Saucy, it sounds like you are making real progress in the leaf casting world , but where are the pics, dam**t ! And whats this mud pie thing ? Does it involve chocolate ? Please advise !

OK, I m going to WALAT to plan the strategy for tomorrow , as Mary and I have our dual coast garden day and then I will peruse Woodys thread.

Hoping Marian is OK,thinking Denise is in deposition hell again, and awaiting the next Chelonian Baking Extravaganza.

Later friends..

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I just had a chuckle. Jake is upstairs reading and he came down to look for the dictionary - unsuccessfully. So I asked him what word he was going to look up.

The word was copulate :)

He's working his way through Elie Wiesel's Night. I read it as a freshman, too. I remember being terribly sad.

Kathy, I never like any of my stuff until it's 3 years old and has some moss and dirt on it, but I'll try to work up the courage to snap some pictures. You have to remember that I make it, but then it has to sit and cure for a bit....it's an ugly duckling/swan thing.

Saucy

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Saucy - I reread Night last year and was as devastated by it as I was as a teenager. Important that we should read and remember - I'm glad schools are setting it as a text (or was it Jake's free choice?)

I am finished with things for the evening and totally looking forward to my day tomorrow. It has changed to include lunch with a friend, which will be a good way of making sure I don't overdo things. My back had some twinges after Sunday's foray so I need to remember to pace myself. One injured family member is all we can deal with right now. Fortunately at this time of year it is amazing what a difference even a short spell in the garden can make.

David did well at physical therapy this afternoon and there were a couple more flickers from his dropped foot. He was exhasted afterwards and fell in to a deep sleep on the sofa - something he never does. I felt badly having to wake him to finish homework but we got everything done and he is tucked in for the night now.

I shall follow suit so that I have full energy tomorrow.

Nite all

Mary

• chelone
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what the day will hold for me. I'd really like to get outdoors to do some clean up too, but it rained last night and I'm not quite sure what the forecast for the day will be. I'm not too keen on spending the day in the Lab., but if it's crummy out it's an option. There's always more cleaning inside, revival of the JulieJob!

I fell asleep with the light and the television on last night. I was watching the Ken Burns program on Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony. And it reminded me of a great quote to the effect of: "We see as far as we do because we stand on the shoulders of giants". Hard to believe that when my grandmothers married they were not legally permitted to cast a vote in an election in this country... . I just caught the tail end of another program on Betty Ford, some difference between her attitudes and those of Sarah Palin, no wonder a young Dick Cheney wanted Gerald to "shut her up" before the '76 election, lol.

I agree with you, Saucy, I think a nice layer of moss and lichen improves nearly every stone surface out there. But I do think we're usually overly critical of our own work, too. Personally, I never look at most of what I've made without remembering some small detail and wondering how it might have turned out if I'd done it differently. So I "get" that sentiment you voiced above. What sort of leaves are you planning to cast this time around? I would imagine florists or purveyors of plants might take rather a dim view of you casually stripping off a nice, large candidate. ;) Hey, how far down should I cut the grasses before setting them alight? I think this might be a good day to do that.

I took Rex on a forced march yesterday and it was beautiful, though a bit chilly. Definitely a pea cap day with a brisk wind off the water and some still large (though diminishing) rollers coming ashore. There is a huge ocean storm out to sea and it's been moving steadily northeast but it provided some really handsome surf for the past few day. Lots of bird activity (Eiders) made me think of Deanne and glad I'm not heading off-shore for a week long fishing junket. I always let Rex inspect roadkill and after giving the grey squirrel a thorough once over with his sniffer he was very willing to "leave it" and continue on the forced march. Smelling stuff is big entertainment for him and I see no harm in indulging him. "We" spoke with 3 people on our walk and he was good as gold, just patiently standing or sitting by my side while I spoke to people who were not "dog people" and didn't care to meet him. One even remarked how well behaved he was "for such a large dog", whatever that meant. I wonder what she'd have done if I'd unsnapped the leash? ;) Anyway, he seems to have reached a new level of cooperation, maybe he's just more confident that he'll get to see and do more if he does what I ask of him? I've not noticed any bulbs blooming yet, but the beginnings of Hemerocallis and Narcissus are clearly evident along walls and foundations. And swelling buds are present though you really have to look to notice them. All it's going to take is one or two really warm days to spur them into action. This is a very exciting time of year.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all and happy Friday. I've had my nose burried in the paints and brushes for the last couple of weeks and have only been able to keep the plants watered but no additional garden cleanup. The new painting is up on the web site and features 'Sally Holmes' and 'Beacon Rosa'. I'm off to teach today, Sat. and Sunday and then I'll have at least a week to do some serious garden cleanup. The helleores are starting to put on their show and are looking like they are going to be wonderful this year. That 'Ivory Prince' is fabulous.

OK I've got to hit the shower and get out of here. Have a great day all.
    Deanne

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

In planning my day I forgot how cold it is first thing. I had a thick layer of ice to scape off the windsceen amd the thermometer is in the mid 30's. As we also have heavy fog gardening might be postphoned till it warms up after lunch. Keen as I am to get giong, gardening below 40F is no fun.

Chelone - I could be joining you on Julie jobs. However, if I am stuck indoors I've been having a hankering for ravioli and might try whipping up a batch. It's been over 12 years since I've had any (Gluten Free Ravioli is not obtainable) and it would be a fun to try. A much more appealing way to spend my morning off than mopping floors. Does anyone have a favorite filling?

Deanne - glad all is well. I'll head over to your site to check out your new work. Enjoy your teaching.

Hope Marian and Michelle check in soon too.

Off to see what the day holds

Mary

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Just a quick note here for those who remember...This morning I received a wonderful email from Kaveh! Such a treat! I've been concerned about him and his news cheers me.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I am in the process of making Mocha Tapioca and will check in later with results. As for ravioli filling, I like vegetarian things and since I'm not that evolved in my cooking expedition I have nothing to offer, Mary. What do you use for flour since wheat is off limits? and is any amount of wheat bad news for you or is it just the major load of it that makes you ill?

The helpmeet is home today after working yesterday. I am reminded of just what sissies menfolk can be when they're not feeling up to par. I suggested he connect the two exposed cable wires in the Salon and he just about had a tantrum. In my eyes, he's not so sick that he needs to take to his bed (he has no trouble eating! or sitting in front of the computer or playing music). I can't wait to get the hell out of the house today. If he was a little kid I might just contemplate holding his head under the bath water... :)

Time to stir the pot (the tapioca, I mean).

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I'm a bit out of the loop here....

Marian - I hope your fibro flare-up is not causing continuing problems as you seem to have gone quiet again.

Deanne - it's good to hear that you were just missing because of time spent painting - I was getting worried....

Mary - I sure hope the alternative job pans out and that you get to keep the benefits etc. And great news about some foot movement starting for David! You are both doing so well coping with all of this.

Chelone - that was an impressive collection of cooking gear! On the issue of stoves... I avoid gas stoves - for two reasons: 1. - I read somewhere years ago about a link between gas stoves and asthma type problems so, if you've got a gas stove a good rangehood ventiliation system is a very good idea to vent the crud from the burning gas. 2. - Since I have vision, balance and motor control issues, the open flame of a gas stove would be an accident waiting to happen for me! So we stick to electric - and avoid the ones with the flat heating surface. I need the extra visual input of the burner rings to clarify where the hot surfaces are. I like the look of the flat top but I can't find one with a high enough color contrast between the burner area and the rest of the top to feel comfortable that I wouldn't accidentally touch the hot surface. We bought a new stove last year and it was actually hard to find one with the old burners - they are virtually all the flat tops now! The one feature that was a 'must' for me in the new stove was the convection function in the oven. The convection function on the old stove died a couple of years ago and I really missed it; getting the convection function back was one of the main reasons I was looking for a new stove. I do almost all my cooking in the oven using convection.

Somebody asked about the peas I grow...? This year's varieties will be Spring (matures in 52 days), Laxton' Progress (55 days); Progress #9 (60 days); Lincoln (65 days) and Sundance (70 days) so that gives us almost 3 weeks of peas for fresh snacking. Peas in the pod are something we look forward to greatly in early summer.

Randy is again actively thinking of retiring soon. I think my recent diagnosis is a big factor in that - plus his job changed at work and he's none too keen on what he's doing now. So we've been taking a close look at our somewhat bruised finances... Retirement looks doable still (but with less of a comfort margin than a year ago!) so we'll see.... There are definitely indications that things are deteriorating neurologically (Did you notice the odd spelling mistake in the title of the thread I started? That is more than just a typo...) so we're all a bit nervous at the moment.

Lots of bulb foliage starting to pop up here now but it's been too chilly to want to do any work out there yet. I've been enjoying the color that Kathy has bee posting - nice to have some early spring warm-up pictures from the west coast....

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Hi all.... I am okay. Just not feeling very chatty about my less than interesting day by day activities. :-)

We did have a visit by our ex DIL and our 3 GDs. The new man in their life was with them. X-DIL has been engaged to him for several years ???? He seems to be a pleasant enough man, and we had a nice 3 hour visit with them all. It was pouring down rain when they arrived, and water was running everywhere, but was clear and beautiful out when they left. Many of my yard flowers were/are in bloom, so it was a pretty time for them to come. They had been at Branson, Missouri for a vacation, during the girl's spring vacation.

Nolon is busily working on the tree cutting...cleaning up damaged trees and cutting firewood. I am so happy that he has that diversion. It makes it good for both of us.

I seem to have recovered from the bad spell. It was followed with a nerve pain that started in my right hand and spread theough a lot of my right side. That too has eased, and was apparently more of the fibro. :-(
    It began the day I saw my Doctor. I mentioned it to her, along with all the other things that were most important. She was not all that helpful with anything. :-( [I am an enigma.lol) As for my really bad spell, she 'thinks' it was from my BP med. It has been cut down some more.
    I now have an appointment with a bone doctor for my bad left shoulder. It is next month.

Today I will be gong to the funeral of the dear friend who was dying with terminal cancer. She passed on Tuesday night. I will drive to another friend's house and ride the rest of the way with her.

I guess you all are hearing about the winter storm that is moving our way through Colorado and Kansas. If it gets to us, it may be a big one! I don't mind. It will protect the flowering bulbs and be pretty, and will not last long at this time of the year. It may bring down more of the 'hangers'. Hopefully it will not drop the Wild Black Cherry limb on the Burkwood Viburnum. It is in full bloom now:

{{gwi:153769}}

TTYAL
    Marian

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I vote for ricotta, spinach and a tad of proscuitto Mary !

Nice to see Marain with news of visits and Nolons industry, sorry to hear of the passing of your friend too Marian..

Deanne, the Sally-Beacon design turned out lovely- I expect to see you sneaking in a coleus any time now !

Ok, off to move the seedlings outside, I's going to be a beautiful day here..

Kathy in Napa

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

Sheesh, another week gone! And this one seemed to be dragging. It's been a bit chilly here this week but today the temps are expected to hit the low 60s. I'll probably take Nick out on a forced march when I get home from work. He's been enjoying them.

Still not much going on in the garden-witch hazel and iris reticulata. Tomorrow I plan to do more spring cleanup. Because I was so thorough last fall, there really isn't all that much to do-a couple of grasses to cut down, some pockets of leaves, a few shrubs to coppice and clems to cut back. Shrubs to move, of course. It's never a problem deciding which ones to move just where to move them.

Enjoy!

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

9 lily bulbs installed in my quest to have the gaudiest front yard in the neighborhood, and I took a chance on the dahlia tubers too, I usually wait a bit longer . 2 "Fascination and the old standby Park Princess.I worked today on a neglected area that has looked unattractive for years , but never seemed to gain my attention. On my list making WALAT yesterday I realized that a half day of effort could probably spiff it up just fine and provide a new area for shady container plantings ( i.e. coleus, fuchsias, plectranthus etc etc ) and Im quite happy with the results. The piles of debris and the d**m pink jasmine that eats anything in sight are gone (although pink Jasmine eradication never ends unless you build a house on top of it ) and I am going to pick up a few small plants to fill the vacancies.

Marian, Im fond of Viburnums of almost any type, I only own two , one of the evergreen Viburnum tinus Spring Bouquet which is quite common here and another deciduous type which I have misplaced the tag for.

Woody, I admire your pragmatism and will to find quality of life where you can in spite of physical limitations. I hope that there continues to be solutions for you. ..Ive never owned a convection oven and think I may have to google because Im unsure of what the advantages are.

OK, time to move the seedlings back indoors and shape up the kitchen

Viburnums

Spring Bouquet {{gwi:153770}}From Garden 2009

Mystery Viburnum-I love the crinkley foliage {{gwi:153771}}From Garden 2009

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Kathy, your "mystery" Viburnum leaves look like a V.dilatum. I have two varieties of it....Erie and Oneida. V. tinus is not hardy here. My Burkwood pic is only the lower 1/4th of the bush. It is quite tall and not very wide. It's blooms are fragrant.

Speaking of fragrance, one of my favorites is the clove currant:

{{gwi:153773}}

And I love the color of it's blooms. They are so differant than the Forsythia's color.( You can see one back over the top of it.) They do send out lots of suckers, and I have planted them in various locations in our yard, and given them to relatives.

I have a big joke on me that I want to share with you all... Do you remember me mentioning the pot of Peruvian Daffodils that I found sprouting in the little red barn? Well... when I went down into the utilityroom this afternoon, to go out and get some firewood, I saw large pink things in the room's southeast window, pretty well hidden by the other plants in there. Lo and behold! This is what I found:

{{gwi:153775}}

LOL, LOL ! This is the pot of "Peruvian Daffodils"! I forgot that I put that pot of tulip bulbs in the little barn. I have been pampering a much smaller pot on the deck, thinking it was the surplus bulbs that would not fit in the large tub, and wondering why nothing was emerging! I was accusing the squirrels of stealing the tulip bulbs from it! Talk about a senior moment! Some one come lock me up and throw the key away...LOL.
    The poor tulip's leaves were so tall and limp I had to put a support around them. They are now blessing the livingroom with their blooms.

Here is a pic of the 'island' shrub row as of yesterday, from the front of the house:

{{gwi:153777}}

I need to get a good one from the other side of it that shows the Quince better, and the pink flowering almonds around the end of the juniper. My "Popcorn Bush"( read "White Flowering Almond"), is blooming nicely out at the end of the deck behind the tub with the tulips...the tub that had the huge elephant's ear in it last year.

I see beauty from every window that I look out of, and the leaves are not even on the trees yet. :-)

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marian,
    You are spot on, everything is so pretty in spring ! I think the anticipation is part of it, after the dreary winter. I picked a vase of Freesias this morning and like your 'Peruvian Daffodils' they bring a smile ...tulips are bloomimg in the garden here , though I don't have many. And the sweetest of all is seeing the buds on my roses and waiting for the first flush of bloom, before the blackspot lays them low !

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Woody, I know your new symptoms must be worrisome for the both of you. You are in my thoughts. Count me among your friends who are in awe of all that you do - your brick edging puts me to shame and here you are ready to redo it while reshaping the beds in your front garden :)

Today was a happy one for me. I thought of each of you as I cleaned out the garden....especially Mary and Kathy :) I thought it was supposed to rain today, but they changed the forecast.

I opened and inspected my hive. My smoker stayed lit and me and the bees stayed calm. I fed them a pollen patty (pollen, sugar, and water) and observed them bringing a buttery yellow pollen into the hive (cedar perhaps?).

I went to the art supply store and bought some linoleum for carving and have been working this evening on carving a design for later concrete casting use.

And I raked out the front beds and the driveway garden. Signs of life are all around, but funny, I planted a lot of new things last year that I didn't tag....there will be a lot of "oh yeah!" moments, much like Marian's!

Hope all is well with you tonight. I haven't been up this late in a while, so time to retire. I really enjoy seeing spring in the west and south! We're a good month behind Marian and maybe 6 weeks behind Kathy's tulips (I see tulip foliage now)....just a guesstimate.

Saucy

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

LOL at Marian's Peruvian Daffodils! I never realized that the Peruvian daffs looked so much like tulips. :0 I can just imagine the look on your face when you saw those tulips today!

Not much time to write tonight as I spent most of the night writing for my class. I've had good comments so far, and have found that the assignments are doing a nice job of focusing my efforts. I am thinking at the end of the class I will ask the teacher for her recommendation on "what next?"

On an unhappier note, the prediction is for 6 to 9 inches of snow tomorrow. As my friend Cathy would say, Oh for cry eye! So how many people do you think will brave sleet and snow to attend a presentation on shade perennials tomorrow?

I'm still holding on to 1st place in our little NCAA pool. If Les & Monique's UConn comes through for me, I'll be "in the money".

OK, enough babbling. Jackson Browne just said "it's later than it seems" and I think he's spot on.

V.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

The first day of "Designed to Sell" is complete, but there's alot to do yet.

My sister and brother and families were here last night for dinner and my sister stayed over. It was fun and something that just never happens since she usually stays with my parents when in the area. My brother went on to turn the heat up in the house that we were going to work on.

My parents were called yesterday to tell them they said the predicted "you kids don't have to" but sounded relieved that we were.

All the spring pictures are lovely.

I'd best get a good nights rest.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Japanese dinner out for us tonight! How nice! My favorite...or one of them anyway. Then we went to look at books and things for Skyler's April birthday. Ended up with 2 silly books, one for bathroom reading. ;) Then we also got two dress-up hats: a king's crown and a pirate hat.

We had a good chat with DD & DSIL. DD plans on working until Easter but has 3-4 sick days she must collect now too. Mary knows all about those... Skyler has March break with his Mom in exchange for Skyler staying with his Dad after baby is born. I'm pleased about that. Meanwhile the news from their lawyers seems to be good, until EX decides to challenge us all once more. It is time for good news for these guys!!!

I managed to clean up more hellebores and clematis for a little while today, with Phoebe's "help". Warm tomorrow again, but rain expected.

Knit Knit Knit, pull it out, start over, knit knit knit. ;) Terrible instructions. I just know Deanne puts lots more thought into her instructions for magazines!

Time for sleep.
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning .... :-)

Birthdays are over for another year and since the kids are older, gift giving has changed. DD wanted money toward some outdoor furniture for her deck and we sent DD and DS out on a shopping trip for clothes for DS with our credit card on Thursday. They didn't even want candles on the Birthday cake. After a three day visit, DS was packing up the car for his return trip yesterday morning. Feeling my usual sadness that we won't see him for another three months or so. Sorry G'bug, but I just looked at photos and a particularly bad batch this time. I'll try to look for another opportunity soon.

Thankfully it is Saturday and the weather is supposed to be very good today. I am really needing to get outside and be busy and get some sun. Not feeling my usual enthusiasm but we may work on the lawn today, since the mower blade was so bad in the fall, we never got the last of the leaves off of it. Brought home the first pansies Thursday and plan on adding those to pots today. Maybe work on getting the screenhouse put back together. Peas are going in today. Tomorrow is supposed to rain. I have my appointment for a sleep mask fitting next week.

Enjoyed your Easter jokes...especially the earless bunny, G'bug. [g] I would have been disappointed with a 'no hands on' photography class too. Hope you can find another class that offers more. What was the verdict on your Mexican crockpot dish?

Chelone...I am curious, since both you and DB seem to have many abilities, what your Dad did for a living? Was it Dad or Mom or both that you inherited your abilities from? Oh, and where are the photos of Mocha frosted cake, Mocha Tapioca...and what is next? :-)

Mary...how exciting that you might have another option! Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out. Good thing you kept trying to find more options. Glad to hear David is working hard and seeing results.

Julie...what a full week you seemed to have. I do get a chuckle over some of the situations that develop at your house. :-)

Kathy....I hope you are taking photos this weekend. Your lily bed is going to be fantastic! By Sunday night, we should be able to see a photo essay of what you accomplished this weekend. I am sure you are enjoying every minute of it. Your mystery Viburnum also resembles my V. maresii.

Woody...I had asked about Peas. Thanks for that list. I just bought some Sugar Snap that will go 6ft and are 70 days. I will have to try another variety for something sooner. I haven't seen 'Spring' but will look for it. Woody...so since you are starting to see indications of some neurological problems, I am wondering what they have told you they can do before there is any more? Will they try to treat this the same as the last one?

Nice to hear from you Deanne. It sounds like your Bird photography has been replaced with teaching your painting classes. I bet you can't wait for free time to start getting the garden going.

Marian...your Viburnum carlesii is blooming...you are way ahead of us! What a lovely grouping of spring flowering shrubs you have. Glad you are feeling better.

Sue...I am going to have to do more next fall. It sounds really lovely to be able to sit back and just let spring unfold. :-)

Saucy...I was just thinking about how you have been so even keeled. Cheerful and focused. Sounds like you had a lovely spring day and are feeling revived after the long winter.

V....can't believe you have that much snow headed your way. I love that old expression and haven't heard it in awhile. 'Oh for cry eye' was usually, 'Oh for crying out loud' at our house.

What fun at your house Michelle! Doing the work together could seem like a party. Will you be taking before and after photos? I can imagine how relieved your parents are.

G'bug....glad to hear that news on the legal front is better for DD and DSIL. They really do need a break and some time out from worrying. I hope they will get clear sailing while waiting for the new arrival.

Hope those missing can check in this weekend some time.
    To me, this is the first real spring-like weekend and I hope you all will have the same. Take lots of photos! :-)

Later...
    pm2

• chelone
    15 years ago

Just learned that on this day in the early '40s, Virginia Woolfe decided to go for a one way swim in a river near her home. Tough to swim with a rock in the pocket of your fur coat.

You know, I was thinking that perhaps Michelle would be working in her 'rents' house! I think that's such a generous thing for you and your siblings to do for them. Mum was steadfast in her refusal to allow my brother or me to do anything... now we don't have to "get permission". You are going to be all tuckered out when it's all finished. Hard enough to do it on your own, but to have to orchestrate the efforts of several people will probably present untold challenges too. I hope there will be "befores" and "afters". ;) Better eat your Wheaties.

I do not have any Peruvian Daffodils here. I chuckled at that story, Marian. I concur with Saucy about the amount of time I'm "behind", too. I immediately noticed the difference between the yellows of Forsythia (For Cynthia) and the Clove Currant, though I have to say nothing says "spring" to me more than good ol' Forysthia (and those electric blue tarps that cover everything!). Doesn't it do your heart glad to look out your windows and see evidence of the new season everywhere? I'm still satisfying myself with a piddly patch of snowdrops and a couple of pools of crocus. Very sorry to learn about your friend's death; saying farewell is never easy, is it? Still, though, I've come to view death differently in the past few years, more like the period at the end of a sentance. Sometimes an "end" is needed to bring fuller meaning to what came before. I heard red-winged blackbirds the other day, too!

I have an area on the border of the south lawn that I think is screaming for a nice shrub border. I always think of Saucy when I see Viburnums and I shall add Marian and Kathy to that list now, too. So much to do and so little time... getting the suckering growth out is going to be a challenge since the lawn area stays soggy and getting a tractor in will be tricky.

Rex and I noticed that the flattened squirrel he enjoyed the other day was missing yesterday when we passed by. Evidently the night shift was scrupulous in its clean-up efforts. I don't know why I think things like that are interesting, but I do.

Yes Woody, I too admire the pragmatic way you strive to bring joy and vitality to a life that's required "reworking". It's probably that aspect of our human condition that I most admire, actually. Your approach to your landscape design course is a perfect example as is the way you've addressed safety issues in the kitchen. Never say die 'n' all that jazz. I hope the plans for Randy's retirement come to comfortable fruition; and present economic conditions turn around, though I'm not holding my breath on that count.

I spent a lovely evening in the Salon, warmed by a nice fire in the stove. It was peaceful (no background coughing or complaining) and I listened to an old favorite, "Breezin'" by George Benson, a CD my brother burned for me last weekend. I particularly like the cut "Affirmation" (Jose Feliciano composition). I came in and with renewed zeal began Googling for adjustable H legs on casters AGAIN. I found some great work benches that were very expensive, not what I wanted, but again no source for independent components for "build your own" work tables. I find the whole exercise terribly frustrating and basically a colossal waste of time when I come up empty handed. I'll try again today, but limit the time I devote to it. I REALLY need to get some stuff set up and ready to go in the Salon; I want to do some fun stuff!

I have prices coming early next week for the shower base and the countertop and will compare them to on-line sources. If the prices are not terrifically disparate I always prefer to "shop local". It's important to consider the hidden costs of "shopping price", lost local tax revenue, etc.. I know many at the lumberyard well and they've helped me greatly over the years. I've narrowed the choice of sinks down to 2 or 3, and have to zero in on a faucet, a mixing valve and shower head, shower seat, and grab bars. Once that's done I'll contact my brother and we'll begin the demolition phase, starting with the sink area. If we progress incrementally we should be inconvenienced minimally though for a longer period of time. Tiling is going to occupy a good deal of fiddly time, I fear.

'bug, I'm glad that there is some hopeful news on the Skyler front. This is not the time to be faced with such foolish and selfish worries. What is up with people who delight in destroying the joy and excitement people feel as a new baby's arrival draws near? EX must be one miserable excuse for a human life form!