Idyll # 475 Orange You Sick Of Winter ?

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

Spring ! Bring it on !

Comments (101)

• denisez10
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning, idylls, and glad to see signs of spring are mentioned by lots of you. Hoping chickens and other loved ones will come through the winter intact. My job cancelled for today, but shhhush, don't tell anyone. I let out a whoop when I heard the message on the answering machine. I've already been shuffling pots, moving plants, checking on seedlings. It's an amazingly beautiful day, but I hope we're not quite done with rain yet for the winter. Will probably grab the camera and take a walk. I found this urn planted with succulents a couple days ago on a walk a few streets away, with our native ceanothus in bloom behind it.

{{gwi:153926}}

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Nice shot Denise. How wonderful you are getting a bonus day off.

Not only a crocus here but a bee as well.
    {{gwi:153927}}

Norma

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Nice planter Denise - I like the strings of pearls and the ceanothus is a fabulous backdrop.

'bug, I'd love to have the ammi as it would make a nice cut flower. Although, for cutting we have tons of Queen Anne's Lace in the ditch just down the road. I'll have to show Rick the tractor picture-a good reminder for him to wait until its fit to be out there.

It's another rainy, foggy day here. The river that follows the road I take to work is now out of its banks. The river that is by our place is dammed up 2 miles up the road so doesn't usually flood. The part that is dammed up forms Lake Bella. We've seen Lake Bella so dry that we could walk across it but I'm sure that won't be the case this year.

Have a great Friday
    Michelle

• chelone
    14 years ago

You had to wreck it didn't you Drema... two shots of sticky/bratty kids. Nice going! ;)

Planter is lush and full of hope, but pales in comparison to Norma's lone crocus. It'll be some time yet for us, I'm afraid. But I'm OK with it. I'm not so OK with the damned clock foolishness and neither are my fisherman buddies! You cubicle workers have made the lives of those of us who work outdoors increasingly difficult... but you probably have neither a clue nor a care...

Speaking of which, that tractor shot sure sucks, eh, 'bug? BUMMER. What that boy needs about now is a good, strong yoke of oxen. And we think we're "evolved".

Woody, I haven't deleted the turban shot... when you least expect it it'll surface. Give Randy a hug for being "Mr. Precise" and such a good son. Not to mention the best husband any wife could want. But most of all, my best wishes to you for a speedly and full recovery. You amaze me.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Norma, we were posting at the same time. What a great reminder that spring is so near.

Ah ha, kids are what brings Chelone out. I was thinking of saying that I had left one of my paint brushes get hard or something of the like to do the trick. Good to hear from you - you're in my thoughts.

Later
    Michelle

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Well....the yellow and purple crocus in the back yard are history ! The hooved rodents ate them down so low you cannot even see the stubs ! And all of the white, yellow, and purple ones except a few purple are gone from the front yard . I rolled a 50 foot roll of woven wire out to the front bed a couple of days ago, but was not feeling like putting it up. :-(
    I wish there were more colors to daffodils. I would plant them everywhere.

Drema, Charlie is so precious. A very handsome fellow.

Marie, does that buried tractor belong to someone you know? We do not have deep loam like that here, but I guess tractors could be buried in clay just as easily.

Woody, you continue to inspire and amaze me.

Marian

I am having a time substituting words for the ones that are underlined. :-(

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Chelone and Marian, follow the link below to turn off the underlined words...works like a charm, I don't see any!

Charlie Boy's eyes are pretty spectacular! Denise, I love your photo. I can't figure how they'll get the tractor out of that mess.

I signed up for a Nature Photography class. SunnyD's husband is going to help me weld. I decided against the greenhouse job because my neighbor offered me more hours...she's looking to do more business this year. My life is feeling more orderly :) for now.

Goodnight...busy weekend ahead!

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trying to get this house warmed up tonight, we had a cold rainstorm come through today and we are in the 40s and heading close to 30-ville. Vineyard wind machines have been on most mornings this week-we are in the spring frost season. No damage here, small lots, fences, etc tend to have a protective effect. We are expecting beautiful weekend, and hope to preview one of my potential IU gardens on Sunday. The ground is saturated again , so digging and weeding wont happen, however I am going to drive north to take some photos tomorrow morning and will stop by the nursery; its time to replant some of the containers !

Opening night for DSs play, he has been in rehearsal for weeks; I will be attending at some point, but will let them get the bugs out 1st.

The Ceanothus is glorious around here right now Denise, and the lupines have opened too-. There is just something about an urn full of succulents. And that particular urn..very appealing. My punch list for the SF garden show is heavy on the succulentsthat great nursery from Carmel Valley is probably going to get a fair chunk of my garden show disposable income.

Aw Marian , sorry that your Crocus were laid low by the hoofed ones. I only have snails to contend with and at least is takes them longer to wreak their havoc. I can usually take action before all is lost.

Not orange, but I took these last Saturday at a winery garden a few miles north .. {{gwi:153928}}From iu6
    {{gwi:153929}}From iu6
    {{gwi:153930}}From iu6

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

The tractor photo is not mine, just one of those things my sister-in-law sends me periodically. (a little TOO periodically I must say)

So today I took over Blab's job and took up nursing my friend's hand. I learned how to attach a splint after a peroxide soak:
    {{gwi:153931}}

And this is my friend's cat, Kiara.
    {{gwi:153933}}

It will be a very short career as on my first day I gave him a practical exam on seeing if he could do it all himself! What a shame though. He has a month of splint and then with luck he'll be ready for weeks of physiotherapy.

Michelle, can I share some ammi seeds with you? Send me an email if you'd like some!

Tomorrow Phoebe has her annual physical and knee checkup. Its rainy and dismal, but we are expecting sun by Tuesday. The creek is VERY high and the property needs spring cleaning thanks to the dog...

Chelone, sorry, no infant photos to post yet. Guess DD wants me to take them myself.

Time for some popcorn!
    'bug

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Michelle I love the lily and delphinium combination! Are lily beetles a problem for you?

gb - that's very good new that your DH's troat problem is not in the scary territory but not having a definitive diagnosis must be very frustrating - I hope the pills work!

Marian - I'm glad we don't have the hooved rodents to contend with! I'd be none too happy to see the spring color disappear so thoroughly.

I just finished putting the second coat of paint on the cross-pieces for the tripod. Tomorrow we'll cut the copper pieces and we should be able to assemble it! It's been the fastest project I've ever done - I need to think up something new to do....
    {{gwi:153934}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Now,'bug, you know that dogs don't really lie! Their ADHD issues just interfere with their memories!!! Glad DH's throat only required pills. What a relief.

Kathy, I do believe you live in garden heaven. Hope your DS was pleased with the opening performance last night.

Drema, Charlie is such a cutie. Those eyes will give all the girls fits in too few years.

Woody, you and Randy accomplish so much. You are a wonder.

Marian, I think you are right about not ordering from catalogues or online. I was a tad too enthusiastic this year and I worry about getting everything planted when those boxes arrive! Of course, I'll be planting and the fools will be digging up right behind me. Ah spring.

Denise, I so wish I could grow ceanothus like that. What a fantastic blue it is!

Norma, the crocus with the bee on it is an amazing shot. Saw a house the other day with crocuses scattered throughout the lawn. Very pretty. Maybe I'll do that for next year.

Saucy, hope your class provides us with many more wonderful pics. Glad things are falling into place. Also, thanks for the link!

Off to greet DH and dogs with towels-they've been walking in the rain! Going to try to get to bed early-turned my clocks ahead this morning to fool myself into being tired earlier-didn't work.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Way behind schedule tonight .. the sun was out all day ! A very frosty morning ; I drove to the garden center and bought plants- an important event in March I think. Nemesia and a few more creeping sedums for the tapestry I am planting in one of my beds. Had a plan to go see DSs play this afternoon, but it was sold out. Tomorrow is not, so I will go and postpone my IU7 garden preview visit till April 3rd., which is the next day its open.

bug you are a good friend ! My nursing skills are pretty woeful .

Lol Chelone , Ive come to embrace your annual anti-DST comments as part of the spring Idyll landscape. Though I appreciate the evening light it will be depressing to attend the awfice mornings in the dark again. I hope things progress on The Compound , and that all residents, both human and otherwise, are in good health and good spirits. I do miss your morning posts !

Woody, that trellis will be fabu !

I can report that my 2nd sowing of the big bucks Delph seeds are up and will be removed from heat probably on Monday. I m thinking about a very mild fertilizer for the 1st batch, maybe some ultra diluted fish emulsion or Maxsea. Next weekend Is the workday at the community garden and after quizzing a couple of other members I think it will be the Lasagne route.

Seen today- very tiny rosebuds on Duet , Mary Rose and Bolero. I have tulips blooming in the front garden. All Clems are budded. Lilies continue to break through.

Cyn, DS was very pleased with opening night . He came home this evening to tell me that todays matinee was not as good, they were all tired. He looks a bit Sweeny-Todd like this evening, as he was unable to get all his make-up off.

All for now, hope to see other check in !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Really ugly weather here. It's a combination of rain, wind and snow. We continue to have woodstove weather. The creek is flooded, but we expect sun starting on Tuesday. No nursery flowers for sale here for a long while.

The house is a disaster zone. I must try to tidy a room or two today. I can't head into outdoor gardening season with housework left to do....

Phoebe got a clean bill of health yesterday. She did NOT like having her nails trimmed though, a common thing with Bouviers. She had her annual shots but will not have as many next year as these, I am told, will last 3 years. Cyn, I recognize the post dog walk cleanup situation. We have old towels hanging near the back door with the leash and grooming combs. DH is getting the hang of the spring cleanup routine.

More work to edit for DH later today, so I'm off to do breakfast.

Enjoy the play Kathy! Expecting a review tonight!

Woody, I like the tripod colour. Is that the same as the shed door?
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

We needed to go to the city yesterday to return our sump pump which quit working - not a good time for that. We lucked out, the 1 year warranty was to expire on 3-25. A new sump pump,four large bags of potting soil, a new spring purse, some cannas, a variegated African violet and a pair of shorts were a few of the purchases - it sounds like I think spring has arrived.

We got home late and I remembered that I hadn't prepared for my Sunday School class. Plus the lost hour of sleep. I think a nap will be in order for the afternoon.

I've never had luck with African voilets, but it was so pretty and for $2.50 its worth a shot. I need Marian's advice.

My house is somewhat disastrous too. Like 'bug, I like things to be somewhat orderly going into gardening season. We have nearly completed the bathroom project. Rick needs to install the newly refinished baseboards and the roman shade remains untouched but that's about it.

'bug, great news for Phoebe with spring arriving especially.

Sorry Chelone, but I love DST. How is your bathroom project coming along?

Kathy, its hard to believe that you have rose buds already. Great shots from the winery garden. I like the stepping stone/grass path and the magnolia is so pretty and spring-like.

Marian, sorry about the deer damage. I had lots of rabbit damage this winter. I guess I'm going to need to work harder on caging shrubs.

Some say that woodies are the way to go for a low maintenance garden, but I'm not so sure.

Cyn, what types of plants have you ordered? I haven't ordered a thing.

Woody, the project is coming on nicely. As for lily leaf beetles, I've not had a problem.

I took a spin around the gardens yesterday, at least the ones where some of the snow had melted. Of course I had to go through snow that was nearly knee deep to get there. There was a lovely patch of sedum 'Angelina' The grass is just as green as ever under the snow and I have quite a few evergreen plants in my garden, so we are getting there.

Michelle

"A friend in the garden is a treasure whose worth cannot be measured except by the heart."...Anon

14 years ago

'Some assembly required' - the tripod was a bit tricky :-) It was too tall to assemble indoors - 8' plus the finial height - so we had to do it in the chilly, MESSY garage. It looks a bit tall and spindly but it has to fit into a 2' wide bed along the garage. I would have liked to make it wider and to have put cross-pieces between the outer poles to have made it a fixed triangle that would look a bit more stable, but this way I can ajust the angles if need be to make it fit into the bed. Once it's fixed in place and has clematis growing over it, I think it'll look OK. I'm considering reducing the height of the center pole though.
    {{gwi:153935}}
    GB - good guess re the paint. Remember that I didn't like the first paint color I used on the shed door because it wasn't dark enough...? This is the that paint.

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Michelle you lucked out in the sump pump department. I love when that happens. I laughed about your thought of dried paint brushes for Chelone... speaking of which..

Chelone, I have no orange, so had to put the baby blues:). He cracks me up.. at the age where everything they do is cute and funny. He runs as fast as he can while watching his feet, for one. I took him down the street to Dairy Queen in the Jeep the other day and cracked the window a little bit. He loved the wind blowing the top of his hair. He is just learning to put words together, so a lot of hand motions are in order, and it is fun to watch him get his point across.

Yesterday I went outside and cleaned up the yard a little. Weeping willows should be on the ban list.

Mary, are you going to post pics of your new chicks? I would love to see them.

Bug, glad your husband got to the throat doctor. Hope the medicine is helping. Do you think it might be some sort of allergy? The reason I mention it is that a friend of mine said that when I got a new load of wood in a month ago she noticed I started coughing, sniffing but wasn't sick, and her thought was maybe I was burning some type of wood that triggered allergies. Wierd, but not outside the realm of possibility, and the fact that it lingered so long for him made me think of it. Just a thought, not diagnosis:)

Woody, I can't wait to see your finished project.

Skip came back late Friday night, flight was cancelled etc, but he got in. I took it easy on him yesterday, but today he promised me he would give me one hour of time that he would do whatever I wanted. I am going to ask him to chainsaw some ugly scrap trees that are blocking my sun in the way back. Cross your fingers he doesn't bail one me when he sees what I want.

Hope you all have a nice Sunday. Kids are coming to dinner, so I have to figure out what to cook. I didn't make the big breakfast as usual because of the time change. It is a lot of work, and a lot of mess in the kitchen for just two people. When the weather changes, I am going to change that tradition, maybe a bike ride and take along some blueberries and yogurt every other week or something fun like that.

D.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I bet once the clematis takes hold that you won't see the structure at all, except in winter! ;) I'd leave the tall center piece. I'm wondering if the lower pieces will go deep enough in the ground to make it stable. I guess I'm thinking of yesterday's high winds!

Made blueberry pancakes for breakfast.
    I just packed my bag of goodies to take to Skyler and Ivy. My goodness, you'd think it was Christmas! Getting to work on house cleaning seems to be so easy to put off....

Later,
    'bug

14 years ago

gb - there will be 4' rebar poles pounded into the ground 2' for support and then the copper pipes will slide over them like a sleeve. The copper pipes will only be supporting the above ground portion and, with the wooden cross-pieces, I think that will be stable enough. It was tricky getting it together at first when there was only the first and second layer of cross pieces and the pipes were flopping around. Once we got to the third layer of cross pieces, it became quite stable re holding the pipes together. It could, I guess, bend the pipes above the rebar supports in a really high wind but the garage wall should help protect it from the worst of the winds.

• candy_j
    14 years ago

More cool, gray and drizzle here but I am seeing green shoots from the daylilies. The birds are singing so I hope its getting ready to clear up. I heard the top 2 inches of ground have thawed; very muddy patches in the yard.

Marian, your choice of words (hooved rodents) made me laugh although I sobered up immediately at the though of the destruction they do to plants! We wait all winter for beauty to return to our gardens and its so frustrating to see it ravaged in hours. A definite downside to the other pleasures of living with wildlife. The deck will be stunning this year; you can devote time to plant selection, care and arrangement (and photography!) without labor intensive in ground work. Your deck is a "stage"cant wait to see it!

Michelle, Ive caught sight of a couple of rabbits so therell soon be moresigh. Do they target any particular plants in your gardens? I have quite a few hosta and they love to devour tender growth upon emergence. While its way too early for hosta eyes at the moment, several years ago I discovered wire baskets offer very good protection. I put them on in the fall so theyre in place and ready for spring. Thought I had a photo to showhmmm; cant locate it at the moment but I can take a picture if you want a visual.

Denise, that ceanothus is absolutely gorgeous. You and Kathy have plants growing I didnt even know existed! Really looking forward to see your garden areas this season. It will be interesting to note the difference and detail of everything from plant selection, architectural design and hardscape.

Drema, Charlie looks so cute in his winter gear but those wonderful eyes will show more delight with spring! More things to share and let him experience, have fun with him. Also, I thought that was noteworthy about the wood burning as a possible irritantsome ailments are mysterious especially when they clear up without an explanation . Interesting thought.

Kathy, hope to hear and see some highlights from DSs playtaking your camera, right? Please do post more about the lasagna approach to your community plot. I understand and have used the concept, however, I was under the impression it took over wintering and some time before the layers break down? Im all about expediency so very interested in how youll proceed with this part of the project.

And, Woody? sheesh. Am I the only one thinking how remarkable it is that youre designing , painting a tripod and thinking up more things to do? Two days short of a month since you underwent surgery! Talk about amazing recuperative powercheers to you and your good fortune! BTW, did I miss reading which clematis is going to grace the tripod? A new one, or are you relocating something from another part of the garden?

Chelone, after piecing together a few comments, I gather you are not a fan of DST. No doubt youll get over it AND the baby photosLOLbut these are with you in mind. First, a polyphemus moth I found on our door last May. I was quite surprised how large it was and the tarantula like hair it sported.
    {{gwi:153936}}

However, when it dropped down at my feet and the secondary wings exposed these eyeballs, I really did a double take. Makes me think of some of the Sponge Bob characters.
    {{gwi:153937}}

And, last is Mr. Pot Head for your viewing pleasure. I could only find rather large, expensive face planters and vases last year. I thought they were a bit too formal for my gardens and yard, so I just made my own for a touch of whimsy.
    {{gwi:153938}}

Time to make a quick trip to the store DH and I satisfying a craving for shrimp tonight.

14 years ago

Candy - fabulous moth pictures! It's a bit surreal to me too that I'm in the state I am at the moment. Last time (1998) I was in the hospital and rehab hospital for a total of 2 months and was very decrepit when I came out. So I didn't believe the surgeon when he said I'd be home the same week! Location matters - this tumor was on the surface of the brain whereas the 1998 one was deep inside.

The tripod will be replacing the flimsy bamboo ones you can see in this picture:
    {{gwi:153939}}
    The clematises that will be growing on it are these ones - they're supposed to be Nike but I'm notorious for buying mislabelled clematis!
    {{gwi:153940}}

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Look like Warsawska Nike or Niobe to me Woody!

Love the moth shots! We too wanted shrimp this evening. DH & I went for an early dinner run (before a scheduled work phone call at 7:30)and had Japanese goodies. DH had a seafood noodle soup while I had shrimp and yam tempura along with other things. The tea was better than usual.

The treats for today were the mallards landing on the melted pond and the snowdrop buds beginning to open. There are daffodils emerging from the mud. It's quite the mess out there!

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Woody what keeps the cross pieces in place? Did you design this trellis too? Pretty neat. I would only shorten the middle pole a little and perhaps add finials to the side poles to increase their hieght a little. (Just a thought, it is quite all right like it is). I like the idea that it is adjustable to fit the area. The clems look like my Warsaw Nike does.

Michelle what luck with the sump pump. I am not so lucky with my pond pump that I have to replace.

Drema I love your description of Charlie liking the wind blowing in his hair. Is signing his way of comunicating?
    He does have gorgeous eyes.

Cyn, you are right the moth does resemble a sponge Bob character. What did you make the face on your pot with?

Its been a cold drizzle here all day. Wyatt and Jake spent the night and when we took them home DDIL had fixed corned beef and cabbage so I got out of cooking today.
    It was rainy and cold yesterday too and we picked up fish for our friends pond and dispersed them around. So I am ready for our sunny weather to come back.

Kathy keep feeding us pics of green and growing.

N

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

There I go again. Mixing up Candy and Cyn. Sorry. I need to start double checking who I'm talking too.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good evening Idylls, it is a very pleasant one here in Northern California.

A theater afternoon for me, I attended DS;s play..what a nice job they did ! This was produced by the the theater arts dept at our local community college, and they have a very good reputation here-abouts for quality productions, and this was surely one. You dont see Man of La Mancha done often, for whatever reason it seems to have become obscure. I remember it was pretty groundbreaking in its day;,I saw it first in Los Angeles in the 60s . DS of course delivered his one word line brilliantly, lol.

I did work on my photo file mess this weekend too- my part 2 of photo class is on the 24th and I want to be in somewhat of an organized position..I feel pretty good about abandoning the auto settings the pics Ive taken have turned out ok.

Last fall I brought home Nepeta Kit Kat (think Cindy may have been instrumental in this) and it has been dormant of course over the winter. Doobie is very taken with the new foliage and I hope it survives his adoration.. face rubbing, licking, reclining etc. Its very small as Nepetas go ; especially relative to Doobies head.

Candy, what sort of camera do you own ? The moth shots are awesome ! I am trying to find a reconditioned macro lens for my Nikon D-60. My plan right now re:my community garden plot is to lay down cardboard and newspaper, build a raised bed frame with construction grade redwood,(1x6 most likely) and fill it with topsoil on top of the lasagna layer. There is no topsoil at the community garden now, but I will donate a couple of yards and my fellow gardeners can have-at what I dont use.

Woody, I vote for Niobe. My WALATS the last few days have included close peering at all Clems, many buds but no flowers yet. I really regret now the placing of Niobe, she clings to Star Jasmine which is a vigorous grower here and will overpower most anything in its path.

Waving to all, thinking of V down under, and where is Cindy this weekend ?

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Hello everyone

A very quick peek in from me before retiring to bed with a book. Another week and weekend have sped by and the chicks are replacing fluff with feathers practically overnight. DH is home after a long trip, but only to leave again Tuesday:0( Annie and I watched Precious which was powerful and moving but very, very hard to watch.

We have had three days of rain which has washed the snow away but mud is everywhere. I despair of ever having a clean kitchen floor again.

A very neat trade today - in exchange for a dozen eggs a friend gave me a pint of her fresh maple syrup. She has tapped tress all over the neighborhood and boiled down sap to amke a fantastic syrup. I think I will have to ration it!

Mary

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Today all power is going to be off while they install new power poles along the main road. I have containers of water in the fridge and on the stove. We have the wood stove going and I'll eat a cold lunch...or maybe grab a bite in town. It is far better to know about these things in advance and to know when power will resume!
    Happy Monday!
    Later!
    'bug

14 years ago

Norma - yes, I designed this one.
    {{gwi:153941}}
    What holds the cross-pieces in place is sections of 3/4" in pipe fitted over the 1/2" pipe between the layers of cross-pieces, which keeps the cross-pieces from sliding down the center pipe. There actually are little button finials on the outer pipes but they are too small to show in the picture. I wanted ball finials for those pipes too but couldn't find ones that were a suitable size and didn't want to use the same large size as the center one. As gb says, hopefully in a year or so it'll all disappear under clematis foliage!

Kathy - I'm pretty sure that clematis is not Niobe. I have one that is supposed to be Niobe on the iron arbour and it's much redder - mind you I'm not sure that one is really Niobe either.... :-)

Raining here again this morning - as of yesterday afternoon we have had a little under 3" since Friday afternoon.

I seem to be coming down with a cold or flu - sniffling and sore throat... yech!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Woody, I think your 4' rebar should keep your trellis upright. I think that's about what we did when I erected mine and we certainly get wind in the country. Its been up for several years already.

Drema, we have lots of sticks to pick up too, but ours are from green ash and a cottonwood. All the ice we had earlier was the culprit. Did you get Skip to keep to his promise? Good idea to get the promise before devulging the deed.

Candy, great job on both the moth pictures and Mr. Pothead.

Mary, what a great trade - yum! I'm thinking the two of you should get together for breakfast - eggs and pancakes with maple syrup.

Kathy, I'm slowly plucking away at my pictures. I have them as a screen saver and I'm appalled at times with some of the pictures I failed to delete and also the ones that need rotating.

Michelle

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt."...Margaret Atwood, Bluebeard's Egg (1986)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

What a strange day. No heat in much of the house, no laundry or dish washing, etc But outdoors there was plenty to see:

{{gwi:153942}}

{{gwi:153943}}

{{gwi:153944}}

{{gwi:153946}}and indoors
    {{gwi:153948}}

On a friend's blog this is a feature I enjoy:
    This Moment - A Friday ritual. A single photo - no words - capturing a moment from the week. Perhaps a simple, special, extraordinary moment. Maybe a moment you want to pause, savor and remember. Maybe something that made you smile or laugh. Maybe a craft you are enjoying working on.... If you're inspired to do the same, share your 'moment' here each Friday. You have a week to think about it.

This feature just may entice me to use my camera a bit more- and in a different way.

This evening my friends ASKED if they could come tomorrow and begin some garden cleanup! BUT OF COURSE! I think they may trim some trees, maybe cut back the ornamental grasses if there is time. This is so exciting. I love getting a head start on things. Even if we get another snow storm, these things will be DONE. YIPPEE!

:)
    'bug

• jak1
    14 years ago

WooHoo! 60F and sunny is today's forecast! Yesterday I gently raked all of my backyard (this is when I remember one of the reasons for moving here) and actually took down my Christmas lights from the front. As last fall was good weather until November, I had done a lot of clean-up then and so I haven't that much to do now. Today I will gently rake the front. The huge snowpile left by the plow will be shovelled onto the laneway where it will hopefully melt away. Great feeling, as Bug says, to know that even if we get another snowfall things will be cleaned up. This is the earliest I have ever been able to work outside in my whole twenty years of gardening. I usually try to get started on DS's birthday which is the 29th.

However, all was not bliss for me yesterday. Six e-mails and three calls before 9:30 from the Hort Society concerning a lady who wants to give us a rose bush. This will not affect World Peace. I called the number given to me eight times during the day - always busy. Checked the phone book, number was correct. She maybe talks a lot, has dial up and surfs a lot, her phone is out of order....so I am certain that the rose bush saga will continue.

Took the beasts for a walk. A big backhoe was working at the construction site down the street. Doggies freaked, ran in front of me, and down I went. First the kness, and, as my hands were full of dogs, then the face. Limped home to pick gravel out of my chin and to bandage bloody knees. Sent DH out for a nice Chardonnay, which I then proceeded to drop on the ceramic kitchen floor with predictable results. Took an Ibuprofen and went to bed. Not feeling real spry this morning, and smiling hurts.

DS has a job interview with a large golf club this morning. He has lots of experience and is available right now, so it seems like a good bet. Maybe it will lead to something more permanent. It will surely mean a long bus trip every day - I hope they have showers!

Anyway, off to get my day started, by washing the Cardonnay stickiness from the kitchen floor.

Happy Spring everyone!

Cheers,

Julie

14 years ago

Julie - ouch!! Be careful!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Yes Julie, a fantastic day in terms of weather. I hope DS manages to get the job! Figure out transport afterwards. Take it easy and get DH to open the wine next time...As for the dogs, maybe get the menfolk to learn that job. Delegate!

Big disappointment on the gardening front here. Friend's pacemaker is not functioning so they could not come today. Very good reason, but too bad from my viewpoint. I managed an hour of dog cleanup. There's one disadvantage of living on 10 acres! Still more to go, but a start. Then there are the willow branches to deal with. I see blisters on my hands in the near future! I hope to get DH to put the rain barrels out this afternoon. Wish me luck. Do you think there will be more bugs than usual this season? I'm guessing yes because although it was cold at times, not as bitter as in previous years.
    Hi to all!
    'bug

14 years ago

Gorgeous day out there today here - sunny and much warmer than normal! Randy moved all the big pots of strawberries, blueberrier and garlic from the garage to the driveway. Then we pruned the wisteria trees. I was very excited to see what appears to be flowering wood/spurs on the Japanese wisteria.
    {{gwi:153949}}
    It was only planted in Aug. 2007 so it would be a bit surprising if it flowered so soon! It'll be the end of May before we know for sure....

The Chinese wisteria is loaded with flowering wood now and the clematises we planted to grow into it a year or two ago now have stems all the way to the top so it'll be intereting to see if they bloom too. Next spring we really need to get ruthless and cut the tree back severely. It's got a bit too tall to easily prune it in spring. We'll have to be much more rigorous and keep the Japanese one from getting as tall. Since the bed they are in runs along the top of the ditch, it's dangerous to place the step ladder on the road side of the tree. I was very nervous while Randy was doing this:
    {{gwi:153950}}

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Holy canoli, its sunny and warming into the upper 50s! Having a late lunch here at the computer and a chancing a post from the box. Then Im heading straight outside to breathe fresh air and feel the sun on my face after so many chilly gray days. I understand why horses race around and whinny and dogs roll on their backs in the grassl. Its spring, celebrate!

Hi Norma, no big dealI knew who you were taking to, lol. Mr Pot Heads face is actually one of those tree faces. Each piece is separate so positioning was no problem. I made him mid season; got the face on clearance for $1.99 and also a discount on the pot and grass so total cost was like, under 7 dollars. He turned out to be a hit with guests while satisfying my urge for a face planter.

Glad so many enjoyed the moth photos; he was most cooperative while I clicked away. When he fluttered off the door to the doormat, I just pointed the camera straight down immediately and managed to catch the eyeballs before he left for good. Kathy, my camera is a Canon power shot A75, nothing fancy. I basically use the auto or the macro settings.

Whew, Juliesounds like you really dinged yourself up. Unfortunate you couldnt get your hands up to break the fall, sheesh.

Bug, I like the photo of your purple knitting. Interesting about a picture of special moments. The kids always ask what DH and I have been up to, so I give them a glimpse of the simple or exciting as the case may be. They like visuals reminding them the home fires are still burning. It would be nice to see what the Idylls capture as a special moment during their week - or whenever one presents itself.

Also, bugare you part of a garden group? Im wondering how you have friends that ask if they can come over and do "clean up?" That sounds terrific considering the size of your farm and gardens, wowee!

Woody, I have the clematis Niobe and love the rich color but it WILTS! Does yours do that? Im just curious if Niobe has a tendency for the problem. Im not even sure of the cause; if I cut it back in July it bounces back with healthy new growth. Glad you and Randy are enjoying the day!

OK, lunch is over. Before I escape outside Ive got to go shove the bed and night stands back by the wall. Kind of funny sleeping in the middle of the room last night but, yesterday, there was a SPIDER on the wall just above the headboard! I cannot abide them in the house. Yes, I know they are friends of the garden and eat all manner of other pests, how-EVERR! Not inside, no. And it was a big black jumper, my worst nightmare because they can spring right at you in a split second. So anyway, I pulled ALL the furniture out from that wall and he disappeared into the oak window trim. I tapped around on the wall/window several times during the day, hoping for him to dart out, to no avail. Had to leave for a hair appt.come back to find DH had been home, changed clothes and was going through the mail. I say "Oh! I bet youre wondering why the beds smack in the middle of the room, arent you?!" And, he goes (without looking up from the mail)"No, not really." Now, I know ID be curious if I walked in and saw that jumble, so I say"youre not even curious as to WHY?" He looked up, smiled and said"you must have seen a spider or something." Gotta love it when they understand you so well, LOL! And yes, I got that spider as I typed this. My peripheral vision is excellent when it comes to spiders and I caught the movement clear across the hallway and into our bedroom. Done.

Running out and waving.

14 years ago

Candy - Yep, my Niobe wilts too - very annoying...! We dug it out one year, but we obviously missed a bit because it came back. We figured if it wanted to be there that much, we'd just have to put up with it:-) So now we just rip off all the messy bit when it collapses. There's enough other stuff growing with it that it doesn't leave a hole.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One of the best features about springtime : there is always something new to see every day..although seeing it may require some stooping, bending, peering , squinting etc. Just a few frost free nights in a row, a few rainless days and things start to happen fast.

I had purchased an unseemly amount of lilies from the Lily Garden in Vancouver Wa, and I am gradually planting them-they were bought of course with no plan in mind as to where they would go sounds familiar to all of you , huh ? These bulbs were not cheap, but the size of them was pretty spectacular, and I got a few freebies as well . No regrets. The trick is to try and site them where standing water is not much of an issue over winter. I always loose some every year-which makes it more urgent that I plant more , lol !

I have to say I have never experienced wilt on my Niobe, but I also dont experience rampant growth. For me it has been 1st year sleep, 2nd year creep. 3rd year creep, 4th year creep some more..no leap yet !

bug, I sure love the color of that yarn..what will it be ?

Lol Candy, I guess you better steer clear of my house, I keep it open about 8 months of the year i.e no screen doors-I like to be able to walk in and out seamlessly, but the result is appealing to the daddy-long legs spiders who are more or less permanent residents inside. They do get vacuumed a few times a year when I do the seasonal web abatement.

Well Julie, I hope it wasnt a pricey Chardonnay ! Good vibes to DS !

Some sites from today..none of them orange !

{{gwi:153951}}From Garden 2010 Spring
    {{gwi:153952}}From Garden 2010 Spring

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Karhy, I love seeing Spring in your garden...it makes me hopeful that blooms will happen here soon.

Candy, I make my bed everyday so a spider won't get under the covers with me :) One night I was in bed watching t.v. (back when I had a t.v. in the bedroom!) and the room was dark. By the light of the t.v. I saw a spider repel down his web and hang inches above the covers. I scooted out of bed without touching him and ran to the bathroom to get tissue and get rid of him...when I came back, I couldn't find him. That was not a good night's sleep, lol!

Today we're burning, my neighbor and I. She has hired me on again for the season and I am happy about it. You can't beat it with a stick.

My overwintered plants are coming up from their slumber in the basement. The banana is touching the ceiling down there already. I hope it will be fabulous this year.

The bees all made it through the winter and are busy cleaning out the messes from their hives. I need to put a pollen patty on for food this week, and will begin feeding them sugar water in a month. I am glad both my hives survived and will look for opportunities to start another.

I guess I need to go get the day started. I didn't sleep well last night. We're babysitting our MIL's dogs and one cried a good bit and that woke me up...and once you're awake...

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

We have one rain barrel installed. Also many willow branches raked up and on the burn pile. I managed to prune about 20 clematis yesterday too, more today I hope. DH got the mower started for the first seasonal go around the property.

We went to town for a few errands and I picked up 3 African violets (why? I don't really like them and can never keep them alive...but they are blooming) and several ranunculus plants too for the kitchen window.

I started The Help last night, (by Kathryn Stockett) and it looks like a quick fun/interesting read.

Glad to hear the bees are buzzing Saucy! (Here the flies are making lots of noise.)

Time to eat something and start moving!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Today I was outside with Phoebe for much of the time. Pruned about 40 clematis. We expect rain and colder temperatures starting on Saturday. My friends who wanted to garden here are headed to the hospital tomorrow instead. :( Hope things get tended to quickly for him!

Think I'll read a bit before preparing dinner.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Wondering if 'bug's snow is gone. The lawnmower hasn't crossed my mind. We have gotten rid of lots but more to go and rumors of more to come.

The sun is shining today!

I came home last night to a guest room minus a window. Rick has 4 windows upstairs that he is replacing.

Candy & Saucy, your spider stories sound like the time a spider came in my car with the mail and escaped. I never did find him and had visions for quite a while of him crawling up my leg while driving. I let Rick get the mail now.

Julie, how awful that you fell. Take care.

Kathy, I agree about the squinting and stooping in spring. It looks like your garden is a little beyond that already. I was pleased to see tulips up an inch that were just covered in snow the day before.

Good to know that the Saucy's bees are active again and that Woody's wisteria shows a possibility of bloom.

I like the "This Moment" photo idea and hope all join in. I'm going to have a hard time with the "no words" part.

Michelle

"Springtime is the land awakening. The March winds are the morning yawn." ~Quoted by Lewis Grizzard in Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

ROBINS OUT THERE!!!!

Yes Michelle, I thought that photos only would be quite the challenge. They do it well on the blog I follow, but maybe we could allow just one sentence? I think a separate thread for this though. Your thoughts???

I made sweet and sour pork for dinner and now want to read more of The Help. All this fresh air tires me out.
    'bug, yet again

14 years ago

It was an incredibly warm, spring-like day here. Liam was visiting for the day and Randy was away for the morning participating in a medical study, so I started the day by walking Misty and Liam by myself. Unfortunately the day went downhill from there. The rapid increase in temperature really messed with my head for some reason. I spent a good part of the day horizontal because if I got vertical, I felt like I was shaking like someone with Parkinsons:- ( Randy came back just after lunch. He said I wasnt visibly shaking, but I felt like it. If this happens every time it warms up, I could be in for a rough spring!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The UPS dude presented me with my Digging Dog order ..I now have a dwarf Baptisia..among other things. You know its spring when the garage workbench is full of mail order plants and bulbs. 70 degrees today, and the same for the next few. How nice that feels ! I have contracted the Common Cold, but a very mild case; very little nose blowing but fatigue and coughing. Im thinking Ill feel almost normal by Saturday.

DD and Aiden will join me at the SF garden show DD has not been probably since about 06 and always enjoyed it. And I have not been anywhere with a 2 year old in 20+ yearshope Im up to it !

Well need a photo of that Banana, Saucy. Working for a neighbor, is a good deal, no commute !

Where the heck is Cindy ?

All for me tonight

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I was wondering about Cindy, too!

Take it easy Woody! I know exactly what you're talking about with the internal shaking - I've had that, too! I wonder if it is your sodium, still? Take it easy and take lots of breaks :)

Michelle, where are you finding your wonderful little sayings at the ends of your posts? I'm really enjoying them. What are you planning for garden art this year? I have been busy dreaming up lots of projects. Yesterday I met with SunnyD's husband, and we're going to work on welding a stand for one of my leaves. I am going to take the course if I can ever get in!

Sorry to hear about your garden friend, GB. I wish I were close and could come work at your place for a day. I do enjoy poking around other's gardens. I need to focus on my own this year, though :)

We're burning again today, so I'd better get my house in order so that I can shower and crash when I get back this afternoon. Burning makes such a difference and she doesn't have the space to compost.

Saucy

14 years ago

Saucy - I don't think it is a sodium problem. I had a blood test about 10 days ago that was normal for both sodium and potassium. I had another one this morning so we'll see what that says. Perhaps the problem is I've lost too much blood from all these tests :-) I've also been drinking Gatorade instead of plain water and mixing it with the cranberry junice I drink. I've always got 'weather headaches' when it warms up so it was probably an extreme case of that. It's supposed to warm up a lot again today, although it's supposed to be 'cooler by the lake'. So we'll see if the same problem appears today...

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Hi everyone

Today I came home from work, put on my oldest jeans and dug in the dirt. I cut back the dying foliage from my hellebores and was thrilled to see so many buds.

I then cleared the area my little hoophouse will sit over and added a layer of well rotted leaf mulch. The soil was warm and crumbly and after being stuck indoors so much of the winter having dirt under my nails again was pure heaven!! I cleaned out my earthbox and filled it with fresh potting soil and organic fertilizer and planted purple and rainbow carrots, and red and yellow beets. The box was wheeled into the hoophouse. My pot of leeks are looking sturdy and green and they too are sheltering under the plastic. I know winter is not yet done, but this little taste of spring made my heart sing.

Woody - I so hope there is a cure for the shaking. So much for you to have gone through and still have these curve balls thrown.

Saucy - congratulations on your bees making it through the winter, and a garden job. It will be another year before I am ready for a hive here but I'm enjoying my reading and will feel more confident once I take a class. At the momement, finishing the garden clean-up that was barely started in the fall is top of my list. But that will be a joy rather than a chore.

Love the idea of "The moment photos" and think a sentance would enhance viewing.

Mary

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Mary, Just how big is your hoop house? So glad you could work outside today.

Woody, its so frustrating to get out to enjoy the weather and then have it make you feel bad. I get weather related headaches too. I hope that is all it was for you.

Saucy , I have been enjoying Michelle's added quotes too.
    I also think the "moment" photos are a good idea. I was wishing I could capture one today. I was walating today and could hear a swarm of bees, so I followed the sound until I could figure out where they were. At the edge of the woods there is a native red maple tree in bloom and the bees were swarming it. To tall for a picture though.

I wrote a post last evening and lost it for some reason. Can't remember who I talked too.

I think I wondered how Bug could trim so many clems and how she keeps track of which ones to trim.

I found helebore blooms this morning and have iris reticula blooming. Should have some daffs open tomorrow. It is to be nice again tomorrow and then not so nice for a few days with a chance of rain snow showers.
    Picking away at some winter weeds and clean up. I think I will sow some lettuce and radishes at the edge of a flower bed as it is way to wet in the garden.

Kathy, I love the sound of a workbench full of new plants. I hope Aiden is good about staying in his stroller for the garden show excursion. I'm sure DD will enjoy the show with you.

I'm posting before I lose this. Hoping all had a good day.
    Norma

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I heard them first, then I spotted them: red winged blackbirds. I hear lots of cardinal love songs too.

Yes, lots of clematis. I pruned still more today...and there are more to go. Most of mine must be pruned to the ground, so it is only a matter of a few that need NOT be pruned. I trimmed back several clumps of ornamental grasses this morning too. I wish there were a few more days for me to continue clearing up, but I guess I'll have to wait. I fear things will grow by leaps and bounds before I return at Easter time.

This morning there was a phone call about our HS reunion. Amazing how we could chat for an hour about stuff from 50 years ago! I am asked to do a reading and speak briefly about my friend who passed away years ago. There are so many who are gone, many children and grandchildren as well. Thank goodness there is also funny stuff to share.

Tomorrow I again take my friend to the hospital to have his hand checked. I have a good feeling about how things are going. Being a pianist means his finger will get serious exercise once the splint is removed.

I've been enjoying The Help. Those lively southern ladies sure had sharp observations and attitudes and would speak up sometimes. (and get fired for it) So just after reading a passage like this, DH decided we should go out for fish & chips in town. Once we arrive, I see the menu up on the chalk board. Every plural word there has an apostrophe in it: mushroom's, frie's, piece's, etc... I explained to the poor lady there that plurals don't use apostrophes and that I used to be a teacher and I'm sorry for bothering her about it. And I WAS sorry I opened my big mouth. Sometimes that itch needs to be scratched though...and it was today it happened. Sigh. I'm blaming The Help for this. ;)

I think I'll need to take more photos tomorrow morning before posting on the new thread. I'll try to start it tonight though, in case some early birds post in the dawning!

Please return all you absentees!!!!
    'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I am excited about "The Moment" GB! I will be looking at things differently now :)

I think it is nice that you pointed out her error - perhaps, like me, she want to do the right thing, but her foggy brain won't allow it :)

I want to hear more about the hoop house, too. We've been potting things up and that means playing in the greenhouse. I really needed this early Spring! Even if it disappears, I will have fond memories :)

I loved The Help.

Saucy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Norma, The post I posted yesterday disappeared also. :-(

I had told Woody about my experience with a low blood sugar attack and said it reminded me of her shaky feelings.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm