Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Entertaining Diversions as Spring Unfolds :-)

Mary...I thought your suggestion of a separate thread for Musical Links was a great one and now that Gardenbug has me hooked on YouTube, [g] I thought we could just post whatever entertaining links struck our fancy. I have two to start off with. I was very excited to stumble upon my first selection. My DH and I were invited to go with a group from his office to see Riverdance many moons ago. I am part Irish, but did not experience much of Irish culture as I was growing up. I was very surprised that I loved this production. DH has no Irish background at all, and he loved it too. It has remained all these years, our very favorite performance that we have attended. We went back and saw it about four times after that, dragging as many of our family with us as we could. [g] Bought the CD and wore it out. I am posting a link to my very favorite part of the performance, but seeing a part of it really doesn't offer the same experience as seeing the whole thing in person. So if anyone has an opportunity to go see it, it is well worth it.

I just went to post and there is nowhere to put a link?! Grrrr. I sent a post to Gardenweb. I'm sorry to provide links this way. If they clear it up, maybe we could start a new one over again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwdjPDw6o5I

I also wanted to link to another one of my favorite tracks from my Classical Album. This is the particular version that I have, but unfortunately, the visuals with it, start out fine, but become a little odd...lol. Hope you enjoy the music...

Delibes Flower Duet, Lakme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afPfzGfZwsA

Gardenbug....DH and I enjoyed your links yesterday. The Freeze was a lot of fun too. I was not aware that anyone was doing this type of spontaneous performance. I really like the idea.

pm2

Comments (26)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh...I didn't realize the link option was not in the first post of a thread. Here is the first one...

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverdance

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Second one...

Here is a link that might be useful: Delibes Flower Duet, Lakme

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to start off so confusing! [g] I found a better version and you might enjoy this link to the 'Flower Duet' better... :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Delibes Flower Duet, Lakme/Hong and Larmore

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

What could be more diverting than sorcery ?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Sorcerers Apprentice

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Happy Easter? Speechless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cadbury Egg Contest Entry

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

That is hilarious gb - I'll have to make sure Randy sees that one!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH and I watched the Cadbury Egg clip. lol For such a patient person, you would think he could achieve much loftier goals. [g] Six months of his life??!!

You certainly come up with some good ones, G'bug. [Gee, I have to stop calling you that. If I were saying it, it would be like a 'G-man'? lol.

So...no one liked the Riverdance clip...well I'll just have to come back tomorrow and try one last clip from that show. [g]

Where's Mary? I thought she would have posted a few classical pieces by this time?

:-)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Okay, I'll play along. Here is just one of my many old favorites. I love almost all of their music.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, gosh...in my rush this morning, I forgot to post how much I liked the Sorcerer's Apprentice, Kathy! From Fantasia, right? I did see that movie when I was young and the broom scene was my favorite part...lol. Did you take your kids to it and if so, what did they think of it? I love Disney movies. I wonder if they used classical in other productions besides Fantasia.

Marian...glad to see you joining in. No time to listen this morning, but tomorrow I look forward to it.

:-)

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

PM - I LOVE this thread and will be back with some links of my own. The last 3 days every spare moment has been consumed reading for book group last night. I'd left the book till rather lake and on opening it found it to be 580 pages of the tiniest print I've ever seen. However, once I started I was thoroughly enthralled and raced to open it whenever I could. My only regret was I feel it's a book that should be savored rather than rushed. For a wonderful diversion try Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose.

Today we are heading to Corning's Museum of Glass where we have a reservation to blow glass Easter eggs (another great diverson and change of scenary for David). I'll be back at the weekend.

Mary

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Oh my, Corning Glass! We used to spend time there when we lived in Ithaca!

Here is a Youtube story that many of you have probably seen before, but it reminds me of Phoebe!

{{gwi:153980}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pet...

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

When my Mom was in her 70s, she began harpsichord lessons. She had played some flute and piano before, but now that her 3 kids were OUT OF THE HOUSE she took up music once again as well as Japanese lessons. Amazing!

One composer we all liked was Scarlatti. Google offers many versions of Scarlatti pieces, some on piano, others harpsichord and this one on guitar. Enjoy!

Here is another with piano and mandolin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo7nyeBY3wY

And of course, harpsichord pieces too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgeTIe19p_c&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yhd-dpC_7o

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlatti with guitar

• Monique z6a CT
    14 years ago

Here's a link to my dog Emma singing to Andrea Bocelli. I have a bunch more videos of my dogs on youtube, but I'm not sure how to tell people to find them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emma sings opera

• chelone
    14 years ago

I'm certain every one of us has had a moment when we've forgotten something important when speaking in public or performing...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ella

• chelone
    14 years ago

And lest there be any doubt she knew the lyrics, check out this one... Her voice was amazing and her stage presence even more so.

This is why I love jazz. (thanks Dad!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mack the Knife (for real)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

This still gets to me after seeing it about a zillion times...

Here is a link that might be useful: Judy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marian....I just listened to Les and Mary. I know that song from all the westerns my brother and I used to watch as kids. I enjoyed it very much. Very pretty voice and I always love harmonizing. I think Mary got her start on the Gene Autry show, yes?

The Corning Museum sounds interesting. I love glass and wonder if you came home with your own glass blown easter egg?

Gardenbug....I found that video of the lion recognizing his old human friends so touching. I've watched it three times and tear up every time. Animals amaze me. Thank you for such a great link. I had not heard that story before, although I have seen the movie Born Free.

Your Mom must have been very healthy as an older person and must have loved music to continue her interest so late in life. Thank you for the Scarlatti links. Did you see the link to John Williams playing Scarlatti on guitar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-bQbqfwHc&feature=related

I really liked that very lively Scarlatti Sonata K. 455 on harpsichord that was your last link. I enjoy harpsichords. Would this be considered 'Barogue' style, that Chelone mentioned liking?

I have a performance of Vivaldi's Concerto for Two Mandolins that I enjoy, on one of my albums. Not as lively as your Scarlatti, but my album is titled the Most Relaxing [g]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa8L2C9WK40

Mary....I wonder if David likes the Gipsy Kings. I find five guitars playing at once with that Spanish flavor irresistible!

Monique....Your Emma is SO funny!! She must provide lots of entertainment but how do you get to listen to music without her accompaniment? [g]

Chelone....Ella is one of my all time favorites too. I looked for a Duet she did with Louis Armstrong singing 'A Foggy Day' but I didn't find it on YouTube. I really love her early version of 'The Man I Love' but I couldn't find that either.

I saw that movie Kathy. We loved Judy at our house too...AND Mr. Gable too. [g] She is so sweet...I wonder how old she was here. I love her dialogue at the end! I watched a lot of her movies too.

I have one more link to Riverdance, that is just music that I find very moving. This YouTube video starts out a little on the loud side, so you might want to adjust your volume. I hope you like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverdance

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Not a youtube, but this was sent to me and I thought it quite cool. Its a persian style carpet made from begonias in Belgium.

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonia carpet

14 years ago

Monique - we got a kick out of the Emma video! Randy says she wasn't singing in tune though - tsk, tsk! :-)

• Monique z6a CT
    14 years ago

This video (I'm sorry if someone else has posted it) is of a women who auditioned for a British talent contest and shocked everyone. Inspirational!

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspirational singer on TV talent show

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Monique my daughter just sent this link to me too...lol. What a lot of courage this woman has. Imagine, she is out of work and home living with her cat...lol. I hope she makes it to the final. Thanks for posting this.

Oh...Michelle...I did find that Begonia carpet so entertaining to look at, too. I wonder how many begonias it took to make it and if they had to dye some?

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Monique - you beat me to the post LOL! I can't stop watching her - what spirit and courage. Even DH came downstairs to show me the link - he enjoyed it that much.

Mary

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I love Susan Boyle! I smile everytime I see her, and hear her sing. She is fantastic! I hope fame does not change her too much.

I got quite a bit done outside today. I planted two of my potted plants, a Catalpa tree, and a Weigela Java Red. Then I did a little weedeating, and put up a fence around the flowerbed back of the house. I noticed the deer and/or rabbits had snacked on a lot of what is in it, but thank goodness they did not get the little forget-me-not. I found a forget-me-not in the front yard bed also. I am so happy about them. They have to be from the seed EI sent me. They are both in bloom.
    I need to relocate the tacky fence from around the front bed, and have Nolon help me install the new fencing there. I will put the tacky fencing around the side bed.
    The problem with my fence around the back bed is it is not only deer and rabbit proof, but it is also people proof! In order to get into it, I will have to take down part of it. I need to create a gate.
    I was surprised and pleased that I was able to dig the holes for the potted plants, with not much effort. Now if I am able to move tomorrow, I hope to do more.

I am looking forward to the arrival of the little ones.

Marian

• chelone
    14 years ago

What struck me most about her was her confidence. She walked out there bold as brass and she nailed the song. I'd hazard a bet she's been the butt of many cruel jokes over the years and has long since learned how to tune out the naysayers.

The helpmeet had heard clips of the performance on the radio but it was only last night that he watched the entire clip. He was delighted with it, too.

Great link.

14 years ago

Did you see this article in the Washington Post about it? I like the title of the article...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Scot Heard Around the World

• Monique z6a CT
    14 years ago

Woody, great story about Susan Boyle. Thanks for posting the link. She was on 'The Early Show' this morning and sang a bit-it was lovely. Then Patti Lupone called in and said how hard a song it is to sing and that Susan did a great job.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm