Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Idyll #314, April showers bring May flowers...

chelone
16 years ago

Not too creative, but a propos for a day like today, methinks. ;)

Comments (102)

• just_t
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning. Fly by post from me as my coffee cup is empty and I really, really want another cup. I'm also antsy this morning and not at all in the mood to write anything--but this feeling has been going on for a couple days and I feel compelled to check in.......so fly by post it is.

Michelle, Kenzie is such a cutie! I like the new valance that you made and the table runner/pillows. Looks very nice.

Sue, glad that all went well and that the pathology is benign! I hope you're feeling more comfortable today and that you'll be soon chomping on the bit to get back into the regular rhythm of your life.

Cynthia, I am glad that Monty is home again.....I do hope some diagnosis is determined and that his long term prognosis will be good. Worrisome and scary. Your sister is often on my mind, also....didn't want you to think she (or you) were forgotten.

Deanne, the cold sounds nasty, but I've been reading about a lot of people fighting this long lasting bug. Hope you feel better soon.

Eden.......V........had something I meant to say to you, too........but it slid outta my brain. :o\ Happens all too often anymore.

Norma, I haven't had the energy to go find the photos yet. I probably shouldn't have said anything about sharing about the shack, because I've been just a slug about doing things. So far, we've just built the 'critters' a 12'x24' 3 sided shelter. It is divided into two sections, supposedly one 12'x12' section is the horse's and the other side is the goats'(made so the horse cannot get into their side)......but of course the goats have taken it all over. I'm sure Boo will step on a goat again if they continue to lay at his feet. Stupid things.

Well, hello to those I've missed, I know there are lots....hope Honey gets her computer back soon, I miss her.

I'm going to go fill that coffee cup now and just savor every sip.

Hope it is a good day for everyone....

T.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

YES! New York State has canceled all moneys owing on Mom's 2003 taxes today. Am I dreaming? After over 2 years this "simple" estate could be settled?

This morning it is grey and cloudy and 41F, but it was still dry enough, so out I went and moved a rose and planted 2 new ones. How strange to be out there in the mud with shovel in hand, digging. Kind of nice to watch the water from my bucket sink in and settle the soil too. The little things that amuse, my goodness.

Then the phone rang. Now this is a story about life in a small rural town! It was the post office. It seems there's a package for me, I presume my clematis order from the US. Would I like to collect it or should he bring it here on his regular mail rounds? Well, delivery would be great I said. (no car today) There's $19.45 owing customs. How would I like to pay for that? With a $20 bill I said. Oh fine he said, I'll bring along the exact change. Amazing how personal that seemed after dealing with NY State tax people!

We already have our estate papers ready to read through tonight. I'm so glad to be reviewing this stuff. It has been 10 years since we made up our wills, and those were done by ourselves. I'm way more comfortable this way!

Looks like our weekend just may be warm and sunny! (If you believe the forecasters!)

I'm already regretting missing the Ashokan Farewell performance. Oh no! And there are words? I certainly missed that too. I don't know if I'll like them, but I'm keen to find out what they are like. Now I know Sullivan was a lawyer, but I promise you I haven't witnessed writing like that from anyone recently, especially my lawyer.

Action now!
    'bug

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Hi Idylls,

Im posting from my laptop. I wasnt able to post before this b/c we were in a catch 22. My anti-virus and spyware expired on the laptop and we couldnt renew it online b/c we werent protected. Further, we had to cancel all our credit cards b/c DH accidentally saved them on the computer when we were working on the refi so weve been awaiting new credit cards. Also, we had to freeze electronic access to our bank accounts and check them to make sure they werent compromised. This has been a major pain in the patootie, let me tell ya.

Whats so ironic, is that I downloaded the worm while trying to protect everyone from it! Sheesh. Dont these people who come up with this stuff have a life? How sad they do this instead of something positive and productive.

We heard from the computer folks that they think they can recover our info and pictures. But our entire operating system must be reloaded. We had a back-up drive so if our desktop info was wiped out, hopefully they can reload from it but it will take them until next week to get it all fixed.

I cant believe how much weve become dependent upon a computer, even at home! I routinely look up things on the web and I felt crippled w/o it.

In the meanwhile, weve kept busy. We spent Sat. with the board and landscaper for our subdivision visiting all the commons locations and deciding what needs to be shovel pruned, trimmed, and on improvements to our 2 entrances. The landscaper is a friend of one of the veteran board members and OK for this job, but not someone I could learn from. In fact, another board member asked me to consult and make suggestions. The islands in the cul-de-sacs and other common areas are hard to work with b/c the only water they get is what mother nature sends. So the plants have to be tough as nails. Im not volunteering to water all areas, but I will water and fuss a bit with new plantings under and around the signage and will help plant annuals. I dont need more garden work. I have enough of my own!

Sunday, my DS phoned me from Fla. She took Mom and her mobility scooter to my DBs condo he uses for vacations. During the trip, they lost the key to Moms scooter and DS wanted me to get them another one and fedex it down. After I reminded her I was off-line, she was able to get a local locksmith to make another key. Ennyhoo, she told me about how difficult their trip down was, dealing with the scooter and getting Mom from place to place in a wheelchair, etc. I couldnt help but think that it was pay-back by our friend upstairs for her leaving all of us in a lurch on our trip back home from Hilton Head last July. She grabbed the only direct flight back for herself and left DH and I to deal with Mom by ourselves.

First of all, thanks Eden for letting everyone know I wasnt ignoring them, I was out of commission here. I appreciate it!

Suzy, I second Chelone that youd immediately feel comfortable with this group. I was one of the hosts for the first IU. Our friends thot I was just plain looney to host the first ever, face-to-face meeting of folks known only thru the internet. My friends were sure something awful would happen. Also, I was absolutely terrified that everyone would get here and there would be stone, cold silence. Boy, was I wrong! It took about 2 minutes for each of us to say Hi, and then pandemonium, chatter, giggling, plant talk everywhere, inside and out. It became so loud in this house, you couldnt hear yourself think. And everyone is exactly who they are here. This is truly the most fabulous group of friends. Have no fear, youd feel instantly comfortable and would just jump right in!

Cynthia, lots of thots and prayers about your dear fellow. How scary. Ive never heard of whats wrong with him. Oh, and I see he came hope tonite! Im hoping for continued good news on his recovery. Im also sending good thots and prayers for your DS. How awful she had to wait that long before surgery. I certainly hope they kept her zoned out in the meantime. But the stress on the rest of you had to be terrible, then and now. (((((Cynthia))))

My thots have been with Sue. I was glad to get the update and hope she has a smooth recovery and that they can keep her as comfortable as possible during it. Oh, and I see you posted Sue! I hope you have a smooth recovery and a smooth resolution to the insurance stuff you were worried about. Im sure the pooches kisses will help heal you. Are they hovering? Animals always seem to know when you dont feel well.

Deanne, I hope you get some sleep and feel better and get your voice back soon! Thanks for posting pix of your coleus. I reminded me that Id forgotten to water my plants in the basement. Ive been too busy taking stock of losses outside. And boy, are there a lot of them. How awful all those folks had such terrible damage and losses from the storm. I cant imagine watching my house get washed away to sea! OMG. Glad you, Chelone and other idyllers are OK.

Mary, it sounds like you had a great trip and visit. So sorry you and everyone else are dealing with nasty weather. Enough already! We were fortunate to miss this storm. I cant believe how everyone is really getting walloped.

Chelone, Wow, great pix of the ocean. Re the 25-footers, they measure seas offshore. As the waves come ashore, size and intensity is either tempered or magnified by how steep the rise is from ocean floor to the shoreline. I sure wouldnt want to be riding that storm out at sea! Yikes.

My thots and prayers go out to all the families affected by the Va. Tech tragedy. I cant imagine awaiting news if my child was among the casualties. I, too, cant understand how someone could do this. The anguish of the affected parents, his included, has to be unfathomable.

V, me thinks your DH has suicidal tendencies! Kergerator? OMG, that poor dog and poor you. Yep, it definitely would be justifiable homicide. Youve really had a week there, kiddo.

Bug, thats a beautiful love letter. I teared up when I read it. It is truly incredible and tender. Thanks so much for sharing it. Doesnt it seem that in these days of phones and emails, weve lost the art of communicating? Oh, how fabuous the State of NY came to their senses! Hooray for you. What a relief that has to be.

Im thrilled and cant wait to hear the musical rendition by Deanne and Mary.! Chelone, I think we all have a love of music here. I think it truly is a common link.

Michelle, what gorgeous blue eyes Kenzie has. She sure is a cutie. Me thinks she comes by her love of fowers naturally, tho. I love the runner, cornice board and the homey feeling of that room. Good job, kiddo.

Ei, you are a scream. That Bert Memorium was too much.

Kathy, so sorry to hear about Boo-Boo. Im hoping something can be done so you can keep your wonderful friend with you awhile longer. They said Bullet might not rebound this last Dec., and he did! Hes doing wonderfully and Im hoping the same will happen with your beloved kitty.

Oh, T, I missed you, too! I was going to call you but cant find where I put your number. Duh! I think I have CRAFTs disease cant remember a freakin thing!

Ok. Time to watch TV with DH. TTYL, Honey

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Goodness, so much info and insight. I loath to be brief, but after missing a few days it took a while to read and I am really tired tonight. I mourn and rejoice at all that is. I promise to do better next time. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Hi Idylls--just a brief hello here, I was worried that there were so few posts today and many of you might be without power. DS is out picking us up some takeout from our fave Mexican joint. I had to have a plumbing repair today -we sprung a leak. All is better now, 250 bucks later, but now all my hose bibs work which is vitally important !

So hi everyone and I hope Sue is comfortable, Monty is feeling better and Deanne can talk !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning! In spite of the raw rain and drizzle, and continued sunless days I'm actually feeling pretty chipper this morning. Why? it's my favorite holiday, one I feel deserves more than simply regional recognitions... it's PATRIOT'S DAY! It was on this day in 1775 that tensions boiled over over the billeting of British soldiers in Boston homes, the levying of taxes, the Stamp Act, etc.. Paul Revere, William Dawes and one other guy whose name I ALWAYS forget (but was the only one to complete the mission) set out to alert outlying communities that the regulars were on the march to sieze arms (and the ringleaders, John Hancock and Samual Adams) in Concord, MA.. We know what happened next. So let's all cheer (you don't have to, Deanne) and consider what it means to be an American. ;)

Honey, what you've just endured with the computer is my greatest nightmare and the reason I refuse to bank on line or do anything of a remotely financial nature without the low limit credit card. I'm too nervous about my own inability to pick up the bread crumb trail. It's good to know you've emerged on the other side, with everything still intact. Boy! what a good egg you are to help out the neighborhood associating... your accomplished hand will prove very useful.

'bug, as a veteran of small town living I truly appreciate the story about the post office. I miss that aspect of life living where we do... the "drop ins", etc.. And good that you are able to appreciate the finer things in life, like water soaking into the ground. (gonna be awhile before it does that here in spongeville).

Deanne, I have to say, I'm something less than truly sympathetic for those who purchase homes that are in harm's way. Every year there is the same tale of woe from Camp Ellis. My personal opinion is that the state should buy them out, eliminate the buildings and the stupid breakwater that redirects the tidal surge and be done with it. But that's not a particularly popular option, as you may gather. ;) Honey, if you go 10-15 yds. off the rocks in the pictures I posted the depth is anywhere from 150-300'. We get BIG waves. One of the restaurants nearby by faces directly northeast and the waves were breaking and washing the roof of the building. Good thing we hadn't put the canopy up yet, huh?

I gotta skeedaddle, talk atcha later.

Hi Sue, are you eating bon-bons wearing fuzzy slippers?
    Hi Cynthia/Monty!
    Hi everyone else. etc.

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Cough..cough...cough! Well, I caught DH's illness from last week. Feeling lousy but...

Had to write to say "Welcome Home Sue!" I am so tickled that everything went smoothly. Hope the DH is pampering you a bit. "Welcome Home Monty!". I know mommy is pampering you! Hope you feel back to your old self really soon.

Kathy...I'm so sorry to hear about Bobo! Sorry about the leaks too...plumbing's the worst. DH hates to deal with those kinds of problems. Thanks for the info on 'Living Easy'. It is a beauty...another to put on the list for the next place. Speaking of roses, my roses really took a hit this year. I think the combination of two summers of severe drought and then the warm weather early on making them leaf out and then the frost and snow we had last week. Well, they all look very weak. I've pruned them all hard to some fresh wood, so we will see what happens. But, I do believe there will be some fatalities this year! :-( All the climbers are fine, but a couple of hybrid teas I have and maybe even a few of my David Austins that I've had for years are looking very sad. :-( I'm crushed!

Michelle..that Kenzie is just a doll. I think you may have a true gardener on your hands...think you may have had something to do with that too! :-) BTW, I *love* your dining room. The china cabinets on the wall are *beautiful* and I love the little touches too...the unexpected birdhouses with the china. :-) Love too that the woods are different colors. I use to think all the woods should be matching, but the older I get the more I appreciate the contrasts in woods. I think it adds a lot of interest and character to a room. Oh, and I love the tablerunner and valance...which I guess, was the real reason to show the pic; huh? :-) I just got so caught up with the whole picture! Love the fabric and the contrast of patterns on the runner too. You've done a *wonderful* job. Did you make that pretty centerpiece too?

Hi Honey! Good to see you. Meant to tell you what a kick I got many posts ago, over your tale of singing in the car *and* your pic of Maxine in the car! LOL! So sorry to hear about the computer woes...that's a *big* fear of mine. Hope all gets straightened out and you will have your computer back soon.

Hi T and everyone else I may have missed...I gotta go blow my nose and take a nice *hot* shower to get rid of this chill and then try to find the energy to take mom to the Senior Daycare in a bit...so better go!

TTYL! Ei

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

I've missed posting -- trip to PA, the storms, horrible work week - to say nothing of the VT tragedy which is right in my backyard literally....

Im glad to see the updates on Monty and hear from Sue -- knew you'd perk up - I bet you're itching to start exercising already, LOL...

I will try to come back to read more carefully, etc. - Im still hoping to take next week off to plant all the poor things sitting in either house, patio or in transit....
    Of course, Im paying dearly for it at the office right now trying to push things out the door, etc., in prep for my absence.

Mary - we probably passed on the highway (except you probably took I-81 & I was stressing on I-95 last Sunday - horrible driving weather!).

-Cindy

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good SUNNY morning all,

I can hardly believe it, the sun is shining out and it looks like we are going to have a few spring like days finally. Im thinking I might just be able to get outside and clean out the driveway garden finally. Its a mess but I dont think it should take too much time to get cleaned out, I hope.

Honey, great to hear from you. Ive been missing your posts. Soooo sorry about the computer woes, my worst nightmare! ~~ I hear you about having lost stuff over the winter. Same deal here. I dont want to even think about it but whats the saying, a new design opportunity?

Eileen, so sorry youve come down with a cold! Get lots of rest ~~Im still dealing with this laryngitis. Im a bit better today but this is really taking its time to go away. ~~ So how is your tulip display going this spring???

Chelone, I agree with you 100% with folks building where a storm surge is going to take out the properties or building on flood plains.

Bug, great news about the state of NY finally letting you close your Moms estate. Jeesh. Way too long

Michelle, you surely did a great job with your dining room, the before and after shots show how much work you put in. ~~ So true that I can talk as much as I like online LOL

Hi Kathy, T, Norma, Cindy and everyone else!!!! Time for Mary and Babs to pop in too I think

Later all,

Deanne

PS I might just have a couple ACTUAL garden photographs from 2007 today, It looks like the species tulips exploded into growth and actually have some flowers, FINALLY!

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Hi Sue, Hi Monty. Hope youre both feeling better today. Hi to everyone else, too.

Well, DH can breathe a little easier. Yesterday, he was scheduled to meet with his boss from Dayton. Earlier, he heard that several others also had private mtgs w/this boss during which the boss told them they no longer had a job. Needless to say, DH was on pins and needles. Turns out tho, that his boss told him that of the 4 employees that had applied for DHs contract job, none were qualified. He also told DH he was very happy with his work. However, his best guess was that DH could get laid off in June OR December. So DH is as safe as he can be with whats going on for now.

DH says his boss looks terrible. Hes only early 40s, but hes turning very grey and his face is becoming lined and haggard looking. He also is looking for another job within the company. Its not a great situation.

When we closed on our refi Tues nite, the gal from the title company told us that within the tri-county area, 40,000 homes have been repod. Its just so sad that all these folks lost their jobs and their homes. When driving around this area, almost every other house has a for sale sign in front.

Chelone, we dont pay bills online either and are very cautious. It was a pure fluke in timing and circumstance that this happened the one and only time DH (just) stored our financial info on the computer. I, too am not as computer literate as Id like to be. On the information superhighway, Im still back on the dirt road!

Thanks re your comment on helping with the landscaping and sub decisions. Id like to say that were altruistic, but thats not the case. Theres a lot of self-interest involved. The previous board was a power clique and was spending $ on silly things and proposing expensive, unneeded improvements that would negatively impact property values. On the other hand, they werent taking care of maintenance required by the by-laws and covenants and in most cases, it became clear they werent savvy enough to make good decisions if they cared, which they didnt. Our property backs up to a commons area that has been sorely neglected. And there looms a possibility that this adjacent property could be deeded over as a public park. We dont want that. So to make sure we had a voice, DH and I decided to get him on the board and that Id help on various committees. So far, weve been able to recruit other concerned, savvy neighbors and have a really good group now. Many are retired, too, and are volunteering for various little jobs to keep costs down. In the end, improving the subs commons areas will help keep up property values.

Wow, I didnt realize the continental shelf dropped of so drastically right there where you took those pix. Mother natures fury is truly awesome. I totally agree w/you about those who build homes in harms way. And rebuild them again and again.

Cindy, I hope things start looking up for you. I'm sure a little sun and garden time will help.

Ei, so sorry you caught the bug! Hope youre able to get yourself some hot tea and laze on a comfy couch with an afghan today. Re the puter, this is the first time its every happened to us. I heard that over the weekend there were over 50,000 people affected by this computer worm. Id gotten complacent b/c in the last 2 yrs. between our spybot, Norton, and good internet service provider, I never get spam or stuff from folks we dont know. But these nuts seem to know just how to get you. The note was from "Postmaster". I mistakenly assumed it was from our internet provider.

Deanne, so glad you're feeling a little better and can get in some garden time today. It's sunny here, too and I'm one step from being outside. Yeah! Some of my early tulips are blooming and buds on my new magnolia are showing promise for the weekend. But in general, I have lots of opportunities here!

Well, I have to drop off my new Norton software to the computer fix-it guys and then I'll be in the garden! I do have to pass a nursery enroute tho:)

Hope your day is sunny, too. TTYL.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

The small bed by our mailbox is cleaned up. Three piles of branches are GONE. A few more clematis are pruned. Not much, but something after this long long wait!

Here are a few photos from YESTERDAY!

{{gwi:154101}}

{{gwi:154102}}

{{gwi:154103}}

{{gwi:154104}}

{{gwi:154105}}

I hope everyone gets to soak up sunshine soon!
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi everyone

Nice to see Honey back, Deanne feeling a little better and I'm hoping Sue and Monty are recoverying too. Lovely spring pics GB, and Michelle, your dining room is fabu fabu!! Turbo post here as I'm done with work, the sun is shining and I'm heading out into the garden. I can't tell you how exciting this is for me to get some dirt udner my fingernails:0)

till later

Mary

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

'bug, I want you to know that your daffodils are farther along than mine are (except those close to the foundation on the south side of the house). Also, that I'm enchanted by the "windflowers" (Anemone blanda?) and the "Blooodroot". I have a good deal to learn about early spring flowers! ;)

It was so nice to see the sun this morning, it's cloudy now, but they won't last forever. The forecast for the weekend is lovely. Good thing clean up doesn't require any vocalizing, huh Deanne? Sue, you will have to plop yourself on one of those pretty chaises and direct Tom while plotting changes, scratching the dogs, and counting the weeks until you're free to resume your usual level of gardening.

We met with a general contractor yesterday and went over the numbers. We broached the subject of restricting the work to framing, roofing, and siding. He was very amenable to that (a pleasant surprise), and we feel his 15% fee is very reasonable. Certainly, we are fully capable of general contracting it ourselves, but spring/summer is the "money season" for us and there is precious little time for "fun". It seems practical to pay him to do what he's been doing for years rather than suffering the loss of what little leisure time we have available to us. He was professional with me, and answered every one of my questions easily, expressing (pleasant) surprise that I knew about clips for sheathing on roofing, muntins, mullions, mulled units and how they make the sheathing that has replaced plywood since we built the last time. We are now waiting for the estimate from the second sitework guy (includes footings, foundation, floor), and the electrician. Those are the minimum requirements for "occupancy". We will deal with a heating system, insulation, and drywall work on our own after scrutiny of the monies spent to get the structure up, presentable, and in use. I like this approach because we should have funds remaining to get some large trees/shrubs and probably have them planted. That is my hope anyway. I'm less concerned about "finishing" the interior of the structure than I am with getting the exterior and the surrounding "grounds" up to aesthetic snuff. What we are considering undertaking is going to radically alter the character of our lot as viewed from a very public, scenic road. It's important to me to minimize the "scar" as quickly as possible; "smudging the edges" in the language of art. I'm not entirely altruistic either, Honey! in the long term, a nicely landscaped lot is going to add value to the area and fetch a higher price (and an outbuilding that can be "finished" to a new buyer's spec.s is very desireable).

My hands and wrists are sore. I've been working on a cockpit interior for a power boat... hinged, upholstered engine cover, gunwhale bolsters, upholstered seats, contoured "bucket" driver's seat. It's all vinyl, stapled on and the amount of pulling, smoothing, and fussing is hard on my hands. I am a relative newcomer to this sort of work (it's more automotive in nature), and my boss is one of the "make due" sort... "buck up", "quit whining, and make due". That's bull--it; there are tools available to make it easier! How about we ask our buddies at the automotive upholstery place and order some??? Tomorrow is Friday, praise the heavens. :)

The issue of inappropriate building is very close to my heart. I truly do sympathize with people whose homes have been devastated by tidal surge, flood waters, etc.. But as a practical matter, I find it irritating that my tax dollars are appropriated to maintain breakwaters to "protect" homes that clearly are built in harm's way. Breakwaters that should never have been built in the first place and whose presence "protects" some of the time, but actually funnels a storm's tidal surge when the confluence of fronts creates a northeaster. Time to pull the plug on federal flood insurance. I'm relieved many of you have the same thoughts. No one can pinpoint where a tornado will touch down. But it's pretty easy to define the areas affected by floods, storm surges. Building below sea level is not a really sound plan. Let's use disaster money wisely, to help those who have truly been savaged by the vagaries of nature through no fault of their own.

Wow, Michelle. What a big change in your room (and without fire!). Isn't it amazing what a fresh coat of paint and new "appointments" can make? I've never been one to "match" woods (grew up with antiques from different periods all with great "stories"). I love the different characters of woods, and pretty furniture. And pretty fabric... shame on you for "dissin'" your sewing!!! I think it's great that you sat down and made your own stuff; it requires a lot of effort and discipline ('bug will understand!). I think your "soft work" looks wonderful. :)

I have a sinkful of dishes waiting for my undivided attention. Later, 'gators.

(we have several LONG absent members who are missed, how's about a check in?)

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Both Mum and Dad were very "tolerant" people. They may not have agreed with another person, but they were keenly aware that EVERYONE had the right to speak freely and voice their opinion regardless of how offensive it may have been to those listening (that included their kids). I was reminded repeatedly that it was MY duty to "turn a deaf ear" when that voiced offended me; and to compose my rebuttal carefully to elicit maximum effect. And that message was followed quickly with the caveat that MY thoughts could be equally offensive to someone else... (imagine that!). On this special holiday I think about those things. And what they mean in the greater context. Truly, to ME, this is a much more significant holiday than July 4th.. It was on this date, that the colonists decided, "enough is enough!". I will always equate the maple flowers, calls of Red winged blackbirds, and spring peepers with the birth of a nation. I think about Howard Fast and how very glad I am that I'm not Alberto Gonzales. ;)

No peepers here yet, though! but I'll bet we hear them by Monday evening...

I 'm glad 'bug's tax woes for her mother are over. I can't even feature the worry... jeez!

Here's hopin' those with favorable weather conditions have sufficiently dirty fingernails. I hope my wrists hold up for what I hope will be a productive weekend...

:)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Here I am with dirty fingernails. :) Chelone, your speaking of today's holiday and tolerance and free speech...honestly, it all brings Marian to mind for me. I hope spring is returning to her mountain top.

I am missing folks here: Eden, are you and Bella reading before bedtime? DD is away for 2 nights and I am picturing DSIL caring for DGS this evening. There have been struggles with punctuality. Now DD & DSIL are not great at being on time, but they do want their son to know that lack of punctuality affects others. So recently, for every minute he is late in the morning, he goes to bed early 5 times that number. He is definitely learning his 5X tables fast!

Babs, when do you hear about 'the job'?
    Mary, are you going to try more fish this year in your pond?
    Deanne, did you really tidy up that entire front bed today? I am so sore from the work i did, but I expect I'll attempt more tomorrow.
    I need to know about Monty when you are able Cynthia. Warm thoughts to you and your sister and your soft coated family.
    Get well Ei!
    Cindy, you need to take time off! I hope it works for you next week.
    Michelle, I like the new fresh room without the top border! I hope it wasn't too difficult to remove.
    Honey, congratulations to Tom. At least he now has a time frame to consider what comes next. So so hard on everyone.
    Monique, any chance of photos of your make-overs?
    I'm wiped out.
    Good night all!
    Nana

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Well, Im glad tommorow is Friday but I have certainly not accomplished much at the office this week. Too many meetings, too many fireman stuff, and one of my employees has been out sick all week so Im keeping the ship afloat.(barely).

Boo Boo kitty will go in for some x-rays on Thursday next week. The vet is thinking his problem might be dental in nature. (I can relate to that !!) His blood work came back clean. Thinking of Monty and Bullet and Zoe Boo Boo has really demonstrated no outward signs of illness..still eats, still eliminates on schedule and still joins me in the bathroom every morning at 5am or so. And speaking of the aforementioned Idyll felines and canines , I hope that Monty is doing okay, hope that Zoe is being a devoted companion to the recovering Sue, and that Bullet is still hanging in.

I can certainly comment on the flood issue having been evacuated more than once from my house in the years I have lived here.. I am in a neighborhood that is along the Napa River. Our city is in the midst of a major flood control project-much of which involves restoring wetlands/flood plains that were built on and developed for the last hundred years or so. Some of the worst flooding occurs in the downtown section of Napa because the natural flood plains to the south are long gone. We are really fortunate here that a group of forward thinking people were able to put together a plan to return the Napa River to a "living" river . There is a huge amount of development pressure in the south end of Napa County -this is where all the wetlands are, and where wetlands are is open space, and where open space is there are dollar signs in a county where the median home price is over 500k, and where much of the land is protected agricultural reserve. We also have the brush fire issue out here-the hills of California have been built on for decades , and every year it seems there is a fire that destroys a neighborhood-some worse than others---the Oakland Hills fire , the Laguna Hills fire, and I remember the fires in the canyons of LA (Malibu, Bel Air etc) when I was in my teens. We have native plants out here that actually require scorching to germinate. No easy answer to any of this- but you are right Chelone, if people choose to live in an area that is prone to natural disaster they need to cover their a**ses and fork out the bucks for the insurance needed so they are not a burden on the rest of us.

Chelone, how interesting the perspective is in different regions of the country. Out here in the west we learn the basic "founding fathers" stuff in our history classes but we also have this really rich heritage with the Spaniards and Father Serra and "old California" . I know you love history and I read a book last year called "The Island of California" by Dora Polk. This was about the exploration of the Ca and upper Mexico coast and I just really enjoyed it. Its premise is about the myth that Ca was in fact an island and not connected to the rest of the US

Cindy, good vibes over your way.

So glad to hear that there is some weather relief out yonder in the east. We are having cold weather here. The frost fans and sprinklers have been going in the vineyards the last three mornings. There will be rain off and on for the next couple of days. The temps however are colder than what we experience in April/May. So you east coasters can nan-ner-nan-ner me. I can take it.

Ok time to go
    Hi to all Idylls

Kathy in Napa

• ccsuzy
    16 years ago

I, too, agree that building in certain areas should be prevented. I think it's just plain silly to build on a barrier island or right along the coastal area where one's dwelling is likely to be ravaged by the next storm. Barrier islands are nature's protection, they shouldn't be built upon. However I'm not sure how I feel about the federal flood insurance program. There were an awful lot of people in the way of Katrina that were NOT in designated flood plains, and were told they were NOT eligible for federal flood insurance, and yet they were flooded out. I'm speaking of people who were 20+ feet above sea level and well inland and still were flooded by the tidal surge. Yes, this was an exceptional storm. The system does need an overhauling.

The weather tomorrow should be lovely, nearly 70, but I will probably be going to a funeral so no gardening tomorrow for me. Hopefully we will return in time to go to the local Home and Garden Show. They don't usually have much in the way of Gardening, but it's fun to go anyway and come home with the new supply of scratch pads, yardsticks, pencils and letter openers.

Bug, gorgeous flower pictures. Thank you for the breath of spring.

I took a bit of time earlier, mid post, and went out to walk the yard. The daylily leaves that haven't really looked bad but still lay on the ground are getting a bit mushy in spots. And the roses did take a big hit.

Would someone please tell the wild honeysuckle vine that has decided to take up residence under my French lilac, to please take itself somewhere else? I should take a picture of the vine I cut and pulled out of that lilac this evening. It's all over the back yard right now, I'll clean it up later. The lilac looks horrible, lots of dead in the middle of it. I'm thinking after it blooms I'll cut the dead out and see what happens, providing I can keep the vine out of it.

Time to find something to relax by.

suzy

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OOH NOO! I've overslept... and have no time to chitty-chat this morning.

Later, friends!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

TGIF!

Good spring morning to you all! Man, this week sure has flown. I'm feeling somewhat better but still have to mindful that it's easy to overdo. If I do too much during the day then I pay at night. For Pete's sake though try to lie in bed when the sun is shining and it's in the 60s.

At any rate, I can't stand or sit long enough for any serious typing. Maybe next week I can become more of a participant again.

Sue

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Just a very quick hello! A sunny good morning to all.

Bug, yes I did clean out the entire driveway garden yesterday!! woohoo, there were a bunch of crocus blooming in it. cool! Love, love, love your spring flowers! I'm so jealous, no hellebores for me this year, except perhaps Ivory Prince.

Yea, Sue is with us! Morning, Sue, make sure to stay in a seated or prone position.

no time, sun is shining and I'm outta here, Hopefully pics later.
    Deanne

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Good morning! And a gorgeous day it is! I filled the birdbath yesterday. Spring is here!

Chelone, Kathy, I totally agree about overbuilding on barrier islands, floodplains, etc. I'd add our southern Ca friends to the mix, too. The ones who build on the San Andreas fault or atop any fault for that matter, those kazillion $ homes atop the hills in LA and Santa Monica in mudslide areas, etc. There are truly natural disasters, but most of these are man-made waiting to happen.

Chelone, you might be able to get some cheap automotive upholstery tools around here. All those jobs are in Mexico, soon to be outsourced to China. :)

Good news. Our computer is ready for pick-up! It doesn't look like we spread that worm to anyone else, and they were able to save our address book, data and pix. Pheeewwww.

I had 2 yrds of compost delv'd last nite, more later. So I'm off to get a haircut, pick-up the computer, weed and spread compost. Then I'll have to do my nails. Tomorrow I'll be attending a high-tea and fashion show our former boat club is sponsoring. I'm not wearing a dress, hat and gloves as I hear some gals are. It'll be great hanging out with gal friends I haven't seen for quite a while. Then we gals will meet up with the guys for cocktails and dinner. I sure wish they scheduled this for a rainy day.

Sunday will be a full gardening day! Yippee. DH will be digging a trench to bury drainage lines from our downspouts and I'll be spreading compost, weeding, moving stuff, etc. I'll try to jump in here sometime.

Kathy, that's great news about Boo-boo. Bullet is doing very well. His CRF was brought on when I had him anesthetized for a teeth cleaning, a common problem in older cats. But I felt I had to risk it b/c of infection. I, too, commiserate with any person or animal with dental pain. There are enough $ in my mouth to buy a Ferrari! I read that in WWII, one of the methods of torture our enemys used was to inject bacteria around the nerves of POW's teeth to cause infections and leave them untreated. They say it's one of the worst pain there is. I feel so sorry for Boo. Hope they can make her comfortable. You might check on-line for a teeth-cleaning service w/o anesthetic. I know they're based in California. Perhaps there is one nearby you.

Thinking of Sue and Monty and hoping they're on the road to recovery. Have a great day everyone. Later, taters.

Honey

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Just wanted to pop back in to say Hi to Sue and Deanne. You posted the same time I did.

Sue stay quiet and baby yourself. It's early yet for the garden. Hopefully, you'll feel well enough to sit in a lounge chair out on your patio this weekend.

Chelone, hope the rest of your day goes better Hate when I oversleep. I get so off-kilter.

Deanne, 'Bug and everyone else, enjoy this lovely weather!

OK I'm gone.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

No time to post right now, but I did want to say how impressed I am with Sue's dedication to her Idyll job of announcing Friday. Nothing will keep her from her duties LOL Thanks Sue, hope you are feeling better each day, but do take it easy - I know that will be difficult for you.
    later
    Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I'm not here...I'm outdoors. It's going to be in the 70s!!!!!

Ciao!
    'bug

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

HI-YAH!

Sue! I'm sorry I haven't been back to check on you-glad you are HOME!and that the surgery was successful-what a relief for you-to think how long you waited from when you first learned about needing surgery-I bet you feel like a weight has been lifted from your mind. Sorry the recovery isn't a piece of cake-I hope day by day you feel much better. I'm just so glad you are OK! Be a good girl: )

Cynthia-have you heard word about your sister and how she's doing? Her surgery delay sounded so frustrating-there's no excuse to make a person wait like that.
    Oh!Poor Monty-his/your experience in the vets office sound horrifying-I hope he's peeing better(normally)now: ( Such a worry.

I have been wondering how the pet owners here of cats and dogs are dealing with this food recall thing-had any of you been using the tainted foods?

So it's been busy here-I'm in Art Show mode now so less time for idylling. Things are going well. Thanks for asking about the job prospect here. Since our school is going through accredidation they are leaning away from hiring people with only degrees and no teaching license(which I do not have). There's some tax umbrella situation that the principle used in the past to hire unlicensed degreed people. It's not out of the question completely but I think things are slim for me getting that position. It would have been cool though had it worked out. We'll see what develops(I'm hoping she might be able to use me in some other capacity since she has my resume).

I've been doing yard cleanup every chance I get-I hate fallen squirrel nests filled with itty bity pine branch stems! Still,it's heavenly to be out there making progress finally...Chris just bought me gas for the mower-the grass is like a jungle.
    Yesterday I was just admiring my yellow primula that survived all the freaky weather...and naturally overnight the deer ate it-every gorgeous lemon-yellow flower....that means it's deer repellant season!... Oh and the other night a VERY pregnant looking doe strolled through the yard with her twin offspring from last year-yikes..I didn't want to be mean but I shooed her away so she wouldn't drop the babe in my yard and I instantly felt guilty(sigh).
    The neighbor guy next door who feeds the deer and all the other rodents in town was looking puzzled at his yew completely stripped of it's needles. Duh-I bet he doesn't get it that if you lure the deer they will EAT PLANTS too.

I'm just so sad about the VA happening. Those poor families of the kids/professors. I have cousins who graduated from there a couple years ago and I can't help wondering if they know any of the dead or injured. I'm sure news will trickle though.
    It's odd to have a new(?) worry like this for professors. With Chris starting as a university professor it occurred to me that there's no certainty that something couldn't happen to his school. Actually there was the one a couple years ago not far from his office-but he wasn't a prof then. Now that he'll be in a real classroom it makes you think a bit. It's sad that all you can do is hope. Maybe all schools need bulletproof vault doors.Sheesh.

Take care everybody-sorry this is not everything I wanted to say to each and every...hope I can return to finish!

~Babs

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Morning Idylls! It looks like spring has finally sprung and Bella and I will be spending as much time in the garden as we can today. Lots of work to catch up on out there! Here's hoping you all are able to spend some time in your gardens too!

Sue, maybe you can just enjoy lounging on the patio and enjoying your garden for a change! I know that won't be easy for you. Glad you're on the road to recovery. Take it easy though...

Have a great Friday everyone!

Eden

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Michelle, I meant to tell you how nicely I think your dining area turned out. The paint, valance and runners really freshened it up but you still kept the comfortable, cozy feeling that I love. Great job!

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Glad you all like my attempt at decorating. I do believe tomorrow will be a full day of gardening. Its nice to hear that more of you are able to get out in your gardens and that things are beginning to bloom.

Honey, sorry you have had such a computer hassle.

Eden, enjoy your day in the garden with Bella, what a fun way to spend the day. Im jealous.

Babs, we discussed here at work what we would do if someone came in with a gun. 3 of us sit behind a counter with no way out behind the counter. We do get some very irate customers at times. We all decided that we would start throwing things.

I know there more to comment on, but its a day of constant interuptions so Ill end for now. Enjoy some time in the garden if you can.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

April 22, 2007
    But really, it's every day!

{{gwi:154106}}

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Sue, so glad everything went well and youre home resting. This w/end will be beautiful-you'll have to do your resting outdoors in the sunshine with Tom at your beckon call. When will you be able to go back to work?

Chelone, I totally agree with you about houses built in known flood zones. Hubby is currently taking a flood insurance class at his insurance company. The govt provides it but many insurance companies administer it (the paperwork, collecting payments to send on to the govt). He was thinking we should get it to cover any basement water damage we might get since we do get a bit during some storms. Fortunately we dont have too much down there-a washer/dryer, second fridge/freezer, ping-pong table, and garden ornaments off season. We are not in a flood zone so the annual cost would not be that bad.

I will eventually have some before/after photos once the carpet gets installed next week and were finally done. Michelle, I enjoyed your b/a photos-your new kitchen/DR areas are great. Looks like you have beadboard also?

Cynthia, Monty has been in my thoughts and I hope he is feeling and doing better.

Unfortunately, it seems the pet woes have reached our doorstep also. Some of you might remember that Emma had Lyme last year and went thru 2 rounds of antibiotics before she felt totally better. Every once in a while she has symptoms again that consists of lower back/leg pain, but the Xrays did show lower lumbar arthritis and hip dysplasia in her back right side. She gets pain pills as needed but has been doing fairly good the last few months. Well, the symptoms came back the last couple of weeks and we took her to the emergency vet last Saturday and asked for another set of Xrays. The spinal arthritis had gotten worse so they recommended daily doses of the painkiller. However, she started having problems walking on her FRONT feet and eventually became totally lame and could not get up to pee on Wed, so we took her to the veterinary neurologist yesterday. She did not have a MRI machine (shes setting up a new office and would not be in the other office with the MRI until Monday), so she recommended we go to Tufts Vet school. We immediately drove up there and they admitted her. They just called to say that they found a large compressed disc in her neck. However, her eyes seem to shake when her head is in various positions so she might have had a stroke at some point and they will know more when they finish imaging her. They will call when they are finished with the MRI. Ive been a basket case the past couple of days thinking the worse. Well know more soon. We were supposed to drive down to MD yesterday for our breed national specialty, but we had to cancel our plans. I wish I could enjoy this gorgeous weather were having-maybe later if we get good news.

Honey, you are wonderful for taking on the subdivision gardening project. So sorry about the computer worm problems. I have an external hard drive and just updated all my files and pictures. I should do it more often though. The photos take up so much memory and take forever to transfer to the HD. Im so happy that Bullet is doing much better. Those furry creatures really are special.

Marie, it is so nice to see COLOR besides white snow and brown mulch isnt it? It seems that you were almost ahead of us in the blooming dept until we had a couple days now of warmer weather. Everything here is going to bloom at once instead of over the past few weeks.

Kathy, you on the other hand are so far ahead of us. Your photos really helped when the rest of us had cold gloomy weather.

Hi Deanne-hope your voice returns soon. Speaking of your driveway garden, youll have to let me know if the Burgundy Glow Ajuga comes back correctly again. If so, maybe I can have a tiny piece since mine all reverted years ago and maybe you have a better strain LOL.

• Lauren_StL
    16 years ago

Hello All! It's me again for my monthly hello (hopefully I can keep that schedule up and it's not too optimistic!)

Sue, I've been keeping up with your progress and am so glad things have turned out as well as they have. You'll be back out in the garden in no time, I'm sure.

Beautiful pictures are starting to show up here too - a good sign that Spring is revving up. I wanted to post some pictures of the trellises that you all helped me with. A special thanks to Eden, Chelone, and Cynthia for some specific ideas. We modelled them off of one of the "trio" suggestions Eden linked us to.

{{gwi:154107}}

{{gwi:154109}}

And made sure to hinge them at the bottom for easier access to the house - Chelone, my DH thought that was the best idea.

{{gwi:154110}}

And he added some moulding at the top to make it look a little more finished.

{{gwi:154111}}

Cynthia, just so you know, I'm power washing the shutters this weekend and hopefully will have them up soon! :)

All in all, I liked how they turned out - although we commented when they were done that we have the nicest looking side yard that Nobody sees! Oh well, I guess we don't garden for other people...

On another note, I'm hoping some of you clematis lovers have some insight on this...

My Grandma, who was so dear to me, passed away last week from a four month battle with cancer. I got to spend a lot of time with her, caring for her, near the end. We were so thankful that we were able to keep her at home, but it also was really hard on those of us caring for her. I know many of you have had similar experiences. Soon we'll need to sell her house. She has a beautiful clematis that has been planted for over 10 years. She gave me directions in the last month of her life how to cut it back and tend to it the way she wanted it. It makes me sad to leave it to the next owners of her house. Do you think I could move it? I'd rather leave it than kill it, but if you all think it could handle it, then I'd try to move it to my house as a memory of her. Does anyone have any experience with that?

We're suppose to have a beautiful weekend and I'm so looking forward to it. Norma, I saw you had posted recently and I bet you feel the same way. The weather dealt us midwesterners a yucky freeze late this year and my garden is just started to get going again. Although I know right now that you northeasterners have it bad too - I probably should be complaining about ours :)

Hoping to stop back again later!

Lauren

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Lauren. About Grandmum's clematis. This weekend is the time to move it. Don't wait!
    These are directions from another site:

How to move or transplant an existing Clematis?

The best time of year to move an existing clematis is while the plant is dormant before the new seasons growth begins - usually in late winter as long as the ground is not frozen. At this time of year the plant's energy is stored in the root system. Prune back the top growth to about 12 to 18 inches and dig at least a 12 inch diameter root ball as deep as possible.
    Mature clematis roots can reach 4 feet down into the ground so the more roots you can save, the better. It is best to dig and prepare your new location before you dig up the plant to be transplanted. Dig a large hole, and dig it deeper than needed to make some room for compost or rotted manure in the bottom. You will also want to plant the clematis two to three inches deeper than the old level. One can use a post hole digger tool to get a nice deep hole. It is best to bury one or two pairs of latent buds, leaves and all, so that the plant can sprout from under the ground. It becomes a good insurance planting policy. The buried stem will develop roots.

Before you place the plant into the new hole, throw in a handful or two of bone meal or other fertilizer high in phosphate to aid in root growth. Bulbtone, an organic fertilizer, can be added to the hole without fear of burning the roots. Mix the bone meal and fertilizer with compost in the bottom of the hole, fill the hole with water, and place the new plant in it's new home, submerging it in the water. Fill in around the plant with the best compost or enriched top soil you can find, and water it in.

Keep the plant well watered and fertilized the first few years until a deep root system capable of supporting the plant through dry times has had time to develop. It is best to mulch a large area around the base of the plant to keep the soil moist and reduce evaporation. Watering your plant is critical to its survival!

• Lauren_StL
    16 years ago

Gardenbug,

Thank you! Thanks you! Thanks you again! I was so afraid that you would say I should leave it. Also appreciate the detailed advice, I'll follow to a "T" or maybe "C" would be more appropriate :)

Congratulations on the upcoming grandbaby. I always knew my parents loved me - and I'm glad I did, because after having their grandchildren, frankly they're usually much more excited seeing them than me! So from that observation, I'd say grandkids must be great. Also loved seeing your "projects" for the new babe. My MIL is a great knitter and has made my 3 kiddos many precious gifts that, as they've outgrown them, I've packed away for them to use for their kids. Certainly a family treasure to be enjoyed for many generations.

Thanks again!

Lauren

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lauren, your trellises look great! you must be tickled pink with them. It's such fun to see pictures of projects that were bandied about here. I told the helpmeet you used the hinge idea on your trellises and he smiled.

We had a little excitement here this evening. The helpmeet was late getting home. I was outdoors with Rex who ran to greet Daddy. There was some barking... in the backseat was the tiniest dog I've ever seen, looked like a Chihuahua with wirey hair. Evidently, it had been crossing the highway and was nearly hit by the car in front of the helpmeet's. Naturally, he stopped and coaxed it to come to him. Wet, smelling of shampoo, and no tags. We called a couple of places in the vicinity and then Animal Control (no microchip, either). Rex was so funny... sniffed her all over and his head was the size of her entire body. She gave him a few snaps when he got too personal, but other than that she was absolutely nonplussed by him. She was a strange lookin' rig; smaller than our smallest cat, lol. The dog officer just called to tell us she was claimed; she bolted out the door when the kids came in and they were unable to catch her. They had just brought her home today, so she wasn't bonded to them, at all.

Monique, I'm so sorry to hear about Emma. How old is she? I can't wait to see the picture of your projects, but you probably have more on yur mind right now.

Thinking of Monty and his Cynthia, too. And hoping all is well in her pet hotel.

Tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday are supposed to be just wonderful and I can't wait to get outdoors and do some clean up work. There's plenty of it.

There's more I'd like to say, but the eyelids are growing heavy and my bed is sounding pretty appealing.

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, this place sure was action-packed last night! I, too, meant to tell Sue her dedication to heralding Friday is noted. Here's hoping you're turning the corner and will be able to sit more comfortably at a keyboard soon. I missed you. :)

The pet scene has been tough lately, huh? Monty, Boo-boo, Zoe, Emma... . We had been slacking with respect to canned pet food, but the tainted batch really "got our attention". The helpmeet has been diligently cooking up the following items on a regular basis: chicken liver, chicken, hamburger. I'm not wild about cutting up a chicken liver at 4:45 AM, but I do it, to the excited mews and chirps of the feline contingent. The helpmeet was quite taken with the beer can sized dog and rather liked the idea of a pet for Rex. ;)

I listened to the apology from the VT shooter's sister last night and was again reminded that her family has been plunged into turmoil and grief, too. I heard a snippet that they are now under police protection and are moved daily (for their safety). I am sickened that anyone would threaten them; they didn't do anything wrong. Their lives will never be the same again, either. The whole notion of considering a plan of action in a classroom in the event of a murderous assault by a gunman leaves my head spinning. I don't understand any of it at all and perhaps I ought to be grateful for that.

I loved the spider on her web that 'bug posted in honor of Earth Day. The quote from Chief Seattle seems visionary from a perspective 152 yrs. later. And doesn't it just tie in perfectly with the discussion on natural disasters, inappropriate building, etc.? Draining "swamps", building breakwaters, fire suppression, clearcutting great swaths of land all carry a cost that is often unknown for years. I was thinking about seeds that require scorching to germinate... I learned that when Yellowstone burned in the '90s. Have the rest of you noticed the big talk about "greening" lately? I certainly hope something comes of it, but it tickles me that what I've been twitted about for years is suddenly becoming mainstream. ;)

I can't wait to get outdoors today! a quick spin around the grounds revealed more Narcissus emerging from the ground (Larry must be decomposing nicely under his patch of them). It reminded me of Marian, too, 'bug. I hope she is well and enjoying the reappearance of springtime, too. I have to cut down a few clematis and give them some food (I'm always late with that), and look carefully at "Maidwell Hall" who had a considerable amount of dead wood last year (I'm not looking forward to that, wanna come for a visit, 'bug?). I think the Magnolia stellata may begin to open today, too.

The hands and wrists are still sore and that troubles me. Honey, I would LOVE to score some of the automotive industries upholstery stuff, but it's probably in cargo grates on the high seas somewhere. Good news for your husband, for however long it lasts. I have noticed a lot of land for sale in my area, but that seems to run hand in hand with the spring season and the arrival of seasonal visitors. The stock market has been wild this week; are we simply seeing a widening of the gulf between the "middle class" and the wealthy?

Time to post this, get going on the dishes, start some laundry, and dress for the arrival of the mason this morning (7:30).

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!

I'm still feeling pretty lousy, but I have to muster up the energy to get out in the garden like the rest of you Idylls are doing. It's been beautiful here too (Thank you Michelle). We are to get rain next week and I'm glad of it.

Monique, I'm so sorry to hear about Emma! I can imagine how worried and distressed you are (((Monique))). I'm sending my good wishes to Emma and to you all. Scout's arthritis has become pretty severe too (osteo of both elbows) and we had to put him on Rimadyl (though I don't like it). The pain was just diminishing his quality of life far too much. He's doing better with the Rimadyl (playing and even running a bit - something he hasn't done in months). He goes back next week for a blood test to make sure the Rimadyl isn't causing any problems with his liver.

Lauren your trellises are *beautiful*...You & DH have done a wonderful job! How neat that you will be able to save your grandmother's clematis! :-)

Hi Babs! :-) It's great to hear from you. Sorry to hear that the new job may not be a go, but as you say, they have your resume and I'm sure that when the opportunity arises you will be #1 on the list. I know they love you at the school; how could they not?

Deanne - sorry to say there is no Tulipfest here at at our house this year. Originally we thought we would be putting the house up in fall, but then realized there was so much needed to get it ready. Anyway, I didn't plant any bulbs last fall, thinking I wouldn't be around here to appreciate them. All the daffs I had did bloom, but it's been kind of a disappointing show. The warm weather early on brought the bulbs out early and then we had that nasty snow and frost just as they were all opening. Those that bloomed during that period are all pretty sad. Some of the later daffs are putting on a nice show though. The tulips that I have seen blooming around here, it just breaks my heart. Our freaky weather has really hurt them. There is always a fabulous display of tulips (replanted fresh every fall) at the mall not too far from me, but you should see the poor things this year. They are short with heads only about an inch wide! :-( Oh well, that is the life of the garden; right? BTW, Good job! I'm inspired by all your hard work in the garden. I hope to get something accomplished today too! :-)

Speaking of the house, we are about done finishing the basement...what a job! Thinking of Bug and her hard work in the basement last year. I really understand the hard work now! We've gotten rid of a lot of junk and only have one more room in the basement to paint...looks like The May deadline will be made to list the house.

Speaking of Bug...thank you for all the pretty pictures! I loved them all, especially the hepatica and your "pure as the driven snow" white hellebore...lovely!

Lots of other stuff going on here, but too much to cover now, I'm in a rush to get out in the garden and get something done.

Hope you had a nice day in the garden yesterday Mary!

Good to see Sue...you will get stronger every day...you're already sounding like your old self! :-)

Well, have a lovely day everyone....Hi to all I missed! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Oh and meant to comment....I sure *hope* no one here has been affected by the pet food tainting! That was just awful, distressing news. Scout eats Solid Gold Holistique, which thankfully, wasn't on the list, but I feel so bad for anyone/everyone whose beloved pets have been affected. Very scary, as I hear now that it may have been *purposely* tainted.

Re VA...the whole thing just breaks my heart. I saw a young man on T.V. the other day who goes to speak to schools about this issue. His sister was killed at Columbine. A very wise, sensitive, admirable young man. He says we need to change our focus, not on the shooter, but on the positive and on doing positive things in the schools, teaching our children affection & respect for all their peers, and for "telling" when we see that something is wrong....not to get someone in trouble, but to get them help if they need it. I am doing a crummy job of summarizing his words, but I was most impressed with him. It is people like him that give me hope for this world, when I start feeling that all is lost.

P.S. Yes Bug, let every day be Earth Day!

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

So much to do outdoors today, also the regular errands, but here I am planning how to make cafe curtains for the baby's bedroom. Some of the Googled instructions are just plain WRONG, so I'm going to wing it...on the next rainy day! At least I now know that there are varying opinions on the width ratio. Some people say multiply the width by 2, others say by 3. I thought it was written in stone, but I guess there's room for preference after all. :) Maybe I'll start by washing the fabric over the weekend.

In other news we had a fine live jazz evening with our friends last night. Good banter, really amazing pizza (satay!), lovely fresh salad, creme brulee for dessert. Yet this morning I am feeling queezy in the stomach. Hmmmm.

Off to start the day. Make it a good one, but don't overdo things, OK?
    'bug

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

It's morning that will be the nicest part of this warm day, so I hope you're all outdoors! I was outside from sunup to 8ish, and then finished painting a sash in the bedroom, cleaned the brush and decided to have coffee with you :-)

Although it's been a late spring here too, most of the bulbs have been gone for weeks, and only late daffs are blooming now, with the fruit trees, viburnums and muscari providing most of the color.

Everything is up or starting to leaf out except the usual late things that I worry over. The lorapetalum (borderline hardy here) had a tough winter, but it's been through 4 now, so hoping it is deep rooted enough to recover and leaf out. I opened the door to the gh, as it's going to heat up in there today and should move things out as it's gotta be safe now? Sheesh it's almost May! The overwintered geraniums are in glorious full bloom.

This is the year of removing/moving things instead of adding things. I need to reduce the clutter I see. I have no sense of design so don't see what's wrong until it hits me in the face after things have grown on for a few years.

Dannie and I are 'cutting class' today and staying home with Monty & Katie. I just need an uninterrupted day, and Monty isn't doing well when left alone. He isn't allowed walkies for 2 weeks so it's a challenge to sneak the girls out while he's eating and get a quick walk in for them. Stressing isn't good for him.

Monique, Can't think of many places better for a doggie to be than Tufts! I hope they can manage her issues and get her comfortable. Sounds like she has a lot of things going on. Has glucosamine chondroiton helped the arthritis at all? I'm a big fan of it, as it does wonders for Monty. I understand 'basket case.' Hope her cuteness is back home soon.

Lauren, the trellises look terrific. Nice sturdy looking things, your husband to a great job on them.

Chelone, that little dog may have been better off with you. This dashing out the door thing sounds like supreme lack of caution on the owners part. (Grumble.) Loved the ocean photos.

Sue, the garden will wait for you :-) Hope you're doing well today.

Hi to all. I'm in serious catch-up mode here, so only remember what I just read.

Best, Cynthia

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Here is the link to the young man I was talking about, if anyone is interested!

Hi Bug!

Gotta go...

Ei

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the concern about Emma! Emma is almost 10 years old and does have arthritis so we did start giving her the Glucosamine/Chondroitin about 2 months ago. I cant tell if she was getting better since the disc problem cropped up. A vet in our breed said it should help the joint issues, but not the arthritis. I need to do more reading. They called late last night to say she was finally out of surgery and they "fixed" the large compressed disc. There are still some concerns with the 2nd smaller compressed disc but they were not able to correct it b/c she started bleeding excessively and was under anesthesia too long. So, they called again this morn (Tufts is wonderful at updating us) to say that she is awake and ate her breakfast with gusto. She reacted when they pinched each toe which is another good sign. We can visit her tomorrow and pick her up Monday or Tuesday.

Eileen, pour Scout. I know how you feel about the painkillers. I resisted putting Emma on the Deramaxx full time, but its all about quality of life. I wonder if there are some holistic or herbal remedies that can help also. Once again, I need to do more reading. Ive also been very impressed with Craig Scott and his positive message. He impressed me since the first time I saw him on the Today show with the father of his friend who had died at Columbine.

Lauren, your trellises are spectacular. So sorry about your Grandma.

Even though it was gorgeous outside yesterday, I could not work out there b/c I was emotionally distressed all day waiting for news of Emma. Today is a different story, I cant wait to get outside. Ill need suntan lotion-havent worn that is a while LOL.

Have a great w/end everyone!

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm in for a break, having cut down perennials and GRASSES (good for the wrists) and removed two GardenWay carts full of leaves and debris. Like you, Cynthia, I'm in a mode to eliminate things that haven't really performed as well as I've wished. On the list to go "bye-bye" are Perovskia (needs more sun and drier soil than I have), and a Hypericum that has broken open at the crown (it too needs more sun). The helpmeet will have a fit if I tell him before "just doing it". I'm bracing myself for the fact that what limited "full sun" I have will probably be eliminated by a garage.

Rex stole off this morning and went next door to visit his American Stafforshire buddy, Bentley. I noticed he was gone and then heard the barking... Bentley's Daddy let him "come out to play", and they went NUTS. Rex towers over Bentley, but only outweighs him by 10 lbs.. They run and wrestle, growl and are exhausted within 20-30 minutes. Definitely worth the price of admission. :) Cynthia, we wondered the same thing about the little dog... but it would have been wrong to just keep her. The owners received "a lecture" from the dog officer, too, and notification that they needed to register her within the week or risk a fine. Clear evidence that he takes his job seriously and shares the same concerns we harbor and you expressed.

My boss had a Lab. who was the victim of poor breeding and had multiple physical "issues". She swore by glucosamene chondroitron. Rex has now developed a chronic lameness in his left hind leg that two vets have been unable to pinpoint... one says hip dysplasia the other says no... I wonder if it might help him. Such a worry. I'm glad that Monty is recovering and Monique's Emma is perking up, too. Now, we need to know about Boo-boo.

Ei., I meant to pass on my condolences on the cold. What a crummy time of year to be under the weather, are you feeling any better? While I understand the point of view of the young man you linked above, the reality is that it's a news story. I don't feel the media focused on him "too much", at all. While background on him has been given there has been equal, if not greater attention paid to the lives lost (at least on NPR and PBS The News Hour). As I see it, TVs and radios all come with knobs and on/off switches. Like freedom of speech, freedom of the press carries a high price and can try your patience. There was an interesting editorial on NPR's evening news (Wednesday evening, I think) written by a young man who had been a friend of one of the Columbine shooters and had been told, "I like you, go home" by whichever one it was. He was criticized and ostracized for his friendship with the shooter... . The "collateral damage" is staggering and the effects last a lifetime. There is no doubt we must treat our fellow man with kindness and compassion and concern. We all have to try a little harder today, huh?

Enough of this, time to regrease my face and head back out to tackle some more clean up.

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Good Gloooooorious Day!!!

As I hope you all are we have been outdoors-we were hiking-Mertensia time : ) I found a red trillium and white dogtooth violet for the first time!

Lauren I love those trellises!! They are perfect because they are functional and sharp looking. Tell your Dh he did a very nice job-you are lucky!
    Just look how blue your sky is!

I feel so bad for Monique,Ei & Cynthia with the dog worries-Sue is your dog doing better? Sue are you doing better yet? I am thinking how hard it must be for you to stay out of the garden...I hope you are improving-how's your energy?

Did I ever tell you guys that Ryan got bit in the face by my sister's 8 month old border collie?(a couple weeks ago) He had one deep puncture to the corner of his lip and another less deep an inch below his eye! Ryan didn't provoke it though we think the stress of my nephew's bday party was a factor. I forgive the dog but my sister and BIL kind of bothered me with a lack of interest in how Ryan was doing. Strange.

Sorry to run but we're off to MIL's...I hope she's in a better mood than she sounded on the phone....clear blue sky clear blue...sky!

~Babs

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi everyone

Glorious here too and I have mud not only under my fingernails, but on my knees, feet, face and in my hair. A hard working day in the yard, cleaning up the beds, sweeping the patio and opening the pool. Annie and David would join a polar bear club if they could and can't wait to get in the water. In fact they swam in the creek Friday after school - considering we had snow on Monday I'm sure the water was pretty frigid.

David is now at a sleep over, DH departed for his night at the sleep clinic and Annie and I about to head out to a friend's for dinner. It will be quiet here tonight but I think I'll sleep well.

I've been thinking of the poorly Idyll pets, Sue's recovery and now Ryan's face - how scary and most upsetting about the lack of concern on sis's part. I hope the weekend is healing for all.

Also hoping the sun has lifted the spirits of those in need and getting over colds.

Lauren - great to hear from you adn see your photos!

must run - have a great evening all

Mary

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

HI, IDYLLS!!
    Still kickin' in Indiana :) We're getting some of our first nice weather of the spring. It's officially spring here, by the way, because yesterday I got to play in the yard, and then had to cut off my "winter nails" last night. I grow the nicest fingernails in the winter, then the rest of the time, have man hands, lol!
    Anyhow, just wanted to say howdy!
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Howdy Brenda! How nice to hear from you! I was just cleaning my short nails to get ready to go out and party tonight. This group just wouldn't understand my grubby look...

DH is still on the roof repairing raccoon damage. Le sigh. I've cut back still more grasses and clematis this afternoon. There must be more to life than this, but I hope not. ;-).

So Brenda, soon you'll be out in the fields again, right? Keep dropping in and telling us what's up!

Mary, I hope DH lasts through the entire test. Many don't, they give up and go home. I can't even get DH to go! But if there's something they could do to help, then everyone would be happier!

Toodle loo
    'bug

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Babs., biting is NOT acceptable in dogs. Like you, I'd be more foregiving of an 8 month old animal in a boisterous setting, but I see trouble ahead knowing what I know about dogs (and you know I hate them). Ry. must be OK or we'd have heard about it, but (and this is MY opinion) I agree with you and think your sister needs to take that incident a little more seriously than you believe she has. The "bite threshold" is a biggie with dogs, and with a breed as active as a Border Collie I'd be "on the case" ASAP. Working and herding dogs are incredibly smart and they HAVE to have a job or they can get really out of hand quickly; they have to be smart and "free thinking" to do what they're bred for. That's why German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Corgis, Schnauzers, Bouviers (? 'bug?)etc. have acquired a reputation as "rank". The more complex the job they're bred for the more "independent" the personality and that means MORE TRAINING is required to keep them "with the program" socially. Rex is a big, BOLD dog and if we "slack off" with his training he'll take full advantage of it; he "thinks for himself" if we don't think for him. He has bitten a child and was surrendered for it; doesn't really matter that he was going for a dropped cookie, he still BIT a kid who was reaching for the same cookie. He's never shown any aggression when I've reached for or handled his food bowl, but he has curled his lip at me when he's had a bone. I was quick to command, "Leave it!" and took the bone away, too. I now give him smaller bones that he may enjoy and finish in a shorter amount of time. It was a reminder to me, though. You have every right to be unnerved by your sister and BIL's reactions, or lack thereof. I would be, too!

Annie and David remind me of myself, Mary. A total water rat! I recall swimming in lakes that still had ice in them, and well into October, as well... lol. I don't know what it is, but being in the water is natural and comfortable for me. I absolutely LOVE it. And here's my shameful admission... I haven't been swimming in over 4 years. :(

I managed to tame the wilderness of Sanitary Ridge today (the bed that surrounds our raised septic system). I raked and raked, cut back the Vinca minor, and assessed the status of a couple of shrubs that may well get the shovel prune. I cleaned out the entrance to our driveway, too. The cats were THRILLED to have their human outdoors with them and put on intermittant and spectacular displays of athleticism. :) Even elderly Floey tottered out and "hung out" with me, lounging langurously in the sunshine. It WAS a glorious day. And I'm looking forward to another tomorrow.

We went outdoors after we had and Rex had dinner. It was wonderfully warm (sweatshirts) and the air smelt of wet earth and decay. Yummy! We heard a few lonely croaks and a lone, plaintive "peeper" (the first this season). But more exciting was the appearance of BATS. They put on an aeronautic show in excess of the paltry insect selection available. Jeez, I like them so much! I will listen more carefully for an increase in what I consider to be Naute's edition of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony chorale... the "peepers". If they don't arrive tonight, surely they will speak up tomorrow! I can't wait.

I have to make another pass around the yard to collect the missing cats. Both Polly and Vera have been sited but have deigned to be "caught", picked up and carried indoors. This is the evening dance we do every night in the fair seasons... call, play, turn away, and repeat. Ahh yes... spring is here. ;)

I have failed yet again, time to call in the "beast master". Night all!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

"le sigh', where the heck is Da anyway? Whatever she's up to I hope it's fun.

I'm sitting here with a huge lemonade and vodka, heavy on the lemonade and heavy on the vodka. It's a summer evening here !!!

Oh poor Ryan. Hope this doesn't affect the way he feels about dogs :-( A 7 month old border collie? Yikes, I hope your sister has a herd of sheep to keep him busy. In one of Patricia O'Connell's books (she's an ethologist and behaviorist), she tells about going to a party where the hosts had working border collies. The BC's herded all of the children under a tree and wouldn't let them go, lol. Hope Ryan heals nicely and doesn't suffer emotional or physical scars from this.

Chelone, ripping out that perovskia is a guarantee we will all suffer a long dry summer. Remember that when we're all complaining about drought in a few months. I ripped out mine a few years ago. Not enough sun, and I don't live in a parking lot. The best stands of perovskia I see are generally in front of shopping centers.

Monique, I hope I didn't kill your inbox. Just sent you a 3MB issue of Whole Dog Journal because I found a good arthritis article in there today when I was looking for
    something else. I try to remember to download them before they disappear from the site, which is by subscription only.

I wasn't very productive today. Got a lot of outdoor time but it was mostly stuffing sticks in plastic bags for yard pick-up day, followed by a trip to the pet store with Katie. Is it called the pet store because she gets lots of 'pets' (petting) there? My little sluthound thinks so. That was followed by a 2 hour nap. The nap seemed such a waste but I needed it! I have outdoor dog beds for the boney ones, but Katie decided she would sleep away the rest of the afternoon in the unmown grass under the weeping cherry. I still don't have a working camera, so my mind will have to remember the picture. It was total peace and completely soothing just to look at her.

Hi Brenda, good you could drop by.

Ei, you probably have a cold because you're wiped out from doing so much. Getting a house ready for market is a ton of work, and I know there are other things going on for you that take a lot of energy too.

GB, I think I'll have pizza for supper since you mentioned it. Pesto pizza. And I have the nicest creme brulee in the freezer, so may crack that out too.

Kathy, sorry I missed that your kitty is ill. How old is he? Cats live so much longer than dogs do. My Peter died at almost 22, and George has had CRF for two years and is now hyper thyroid, but he keeps on ticking :-) Hope Boo Boo can be comfortable and happy for a little longer. I know how tough it is to make those decisions. Thinking of you.

Hope tomorrow is as lovely as today. Oh, I did one thing right in my garden when I planted a common, boring purple leaf sand cherry (prunus cistena) right next to the patio. It's in bloom right now and the scent is just heavenly. I get to enjoy it when ever I step out on the patio or walk into the back yard.

Enjoy the rest of the evening, time for supper!

Cynthia

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Looking like my Saturday weather is worse than my east coast compadres. Started raining here noonish and is supposed to continue into tomorrow AM. This is ok, we have way under our normal rainfall total , but why cant it rain when Im at work during the week ? I did manage to do a purchase this morning before the wet stuff started- got some basil, zinnias, and a dwarf Bearss lime and a dwarf Lisbon lemon. Got Blackie and Marguerite too. I have about a half hour before the ballgame starts so I spending it with the Idylls, while enjoying a glass of pinot.

Sue, glad you checked in and with the all important Friday greeting to boot. Hope you dont get too stir-crazy !

Babs, I feed my dog home-cooked stuff for the most part. She is diabetic and a very picky eater who started turning her nose up at canned dog food quite some time ago. I cook her low fat hamburger and chicken. I do use kibbles, usually IAMS senior stuff and mix it with the home made stuff. My cats get a bit of canned stuff but it was not a brand that was involved in the recall. Sorry about poor Ryan ! Dog bites are so painful..I guess sometimes young dogs and children dont mix well. Unfortunate that your BIL and Sis are so la-dee-dah over this. I would think at least they would want to keep a close eye on doggie to make sure no unwanted patterns develop..

Monique, so sorry we had to add your Emma to out list of pet illnesses. Boo-boo is holding his own-he has an appt Monday for some X-rays .Fortunately he is extremely mellow and vet visits dont seem to freak him out at all. We will be starting him on anti biotics as well.

Lauren those trellis are really fantastic ! They look so sturdy. What will you plant on them ?

Cynthia, I hope things continue to improve for your Monty. Boo-boo is about 15. He was a feral cat that my late hubby found in the vineyards and brought home in his shirt pocket. He has had very few health problems in his life- most of them were skin problems due to what the vet thinks is an allergy to fleas. For some reason over the last ten years or so we have had no flea problem here. I dont even bother to use Advantage any more.

Chelone, (and all the others who played outside today) I feel better knowing that you NE-ers are able to get out into your gardens at last ! Ironic that I am gazing plaintively out the window as the rain falls.

Well, I need to go watch some baseballgreetings to all not mentioned and you too Martie !

Jean Giono

{{gwi:154112}}

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I spent a good part of the day in the garden. I moved some large clumps of tulips that the deer get every year. I also moved a rose, which required the move of a lavender. Lots of other misc. jobs were accomplished as well It was horribly windy though I hate wind! It was also hot. I suppose we will go from winter to summer. I spent a fair amount of time helping DH do some clean up around the farm.

Jaden and I took a long walk along the creek and thru the grove. I told DH that it was the wild life loop. We saw 5 deer, a rabbit, lots of pheasants and a hawk in the grove. Jaden was most excited about the rabbit. There were ducks on the pond and a very large snapping turtle sunning himself on the path in front of us. He slithered in as soon as he saw us.

Monique, so sorry to hear about Emmas health issues. I hope all turns out OK. Is she an older dog? I look forward to your before and after photo. Yes we do have beadboard in the dining area.

bug, you should tell your DH that all the other Idyll husbands are going to the sleep clinic. Sues, Marys and mine. It didnt bother DH in the least. He really likes his machine and feels so much better.

Babs, sorry to hear about Ryan being bit. That was always my fear as a child. I would walk home from school in a round about way to avoid the houses that had barking dogs in the fear that they just might be loose that day. I wonder if your sister is embarrassed and doesnt want to bring it up.

Lauren, the trellises are great and the trim really adds to them.

I guess Id better put some ice on the old knees.

Michelle

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!