Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctlavluvr

The Park As Is

ctlavluvr
16 years ago

It's been great to walk around this year and see things that can be considered mature! Though hard to see at this point, there are really plants filling most of the gardens, nursery style. With luck and good weather, they'll be arranged by the end of the month.

Posting this as so many of you were surprised by the amount of land we have. At .84 acres, this lot is considered small for this area, but it's perfect for us. I could fill the entire space, but reality dictates a little lawn :-)

So here are the "spaces"

{{gwi:154138}}

{{gwi:154140}}

{{gwi:154142}}

{{gwi:154145}}

One of two:

{{gwi:154148}}

{{gwi:154151}}

{{gwi:154153}}

{{gwi:154156}}

{{gwi:154159}}

{{gwi:154161}}

{{gwi:154163}}

{{gwi:154165}}

{{gwi:154166}}

Come again when there's more to see!

Martie

Comments (12)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures as it all greens up.... It sounds like you have an ideal sized property - small enough to fill up and garden both intensively and extensively,but not too big to mangage. I envy you!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Wow, what a great piece of property Martie! I agree with Woody...just the right size and lots of great sunshine and not a lot of neighboring trees to deal with along the lot line, shading everything. Love the mature evergreens screening the driveway and the nice long driveway and frontage from the street to give you a ton of privacy. You are going to have a blast! Love your porch and your front window. Beautiful Japanese Maple.

Thanks for posting and keep them coming as spring livens up! :-)
    pm2

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Fun to see "The Park"!

I can't wait to see the progression from Spring to Summer...remember to take pictures from some of the same perpectives.

I really like your bluestone paver paths :)

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Martie, isn't spring exciting? You do have a lovely nice sized lot. I like the trees along the back that give a nice background. I'm looking forwarding to seeing more.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

OK, I'll try for the third time. I thought I'd already posted here today! Anyway, I'm eager to see more photos, maybe weekly?

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I agree...a progression of pics as spring advances. You have a great start at a lovely yard.

Marian

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Coming along nicely Martie. Reality dictates very little lawn at my house, lol. I agree that I'd like to see progression pictures throughout the season. Thanks for sharing.

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Wow Martie, I can't even imagine having that much land here. I'd be drawing maps all winter and quickly become overwhelmed by choices...as the others have said progressions pics would be most welcome..

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's so nice to have you all "here"! This has been a labor of love and like most literally from the ground up projects, will never be where I want it to be all at once :-)

That said:

Choices for plants has actually been the easiest part, Kathy, since I know what I really like and what will work here. I tend to plant 4 easy things for every 1 more difficult thing and that seems to work. We have enough space that I can put in what I want where I want and still have space to move.

Have to LOL about the bluestone, Saucy. I priced the real stuff and was about ready to just travel to a quarry myself with rock cutter in hand. This is the fake stuff -- not bad, huh??? For about 1/5 of the price it looks real and has a much less chance of splitting. More pieces are coming to finish the path down to the raised bed.

I can't wait 'til it greens up, either! A small army (BGF Virginia, Ky, three neighborhood kids, me and my DB who OFFERED to help 'cause he knew Rich couldn't) will be descending next Saturday to divide, conquer and move! Virginia and I will be at the helm, DB and Ky (both experienced) will be the diggers, and the kids will be the digger assistants and wheelbarrow convoy. Veggie lasagna already made for lunch (Rich's job) and we should be well on our way!

Thanks, again.

Martie

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Such a lovely place :) I know I always comment on that thuja/arbovitae hedge, but it's really wonderful. You also have great 'shared views' which make the property look even larger than it is. From previous tours I thought you had 3 or 4 acres! You're doing a terrific job, do keep those photos coming.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Martie, Looks like you have planned and executed your spaces well.Looking forward to seeing it all in bloom.
    I envy your having help to divide , conquer and move. I have so much of that to do this year but I am on my own, and can't even get started until after next weekend with DGD's wedding and some guests staying here.
    Norma

• denisez10
    16 years ago

That is aptly named the "Park." Wow, what scope, mature hedges, trees and pretty much a blank slate for whatever takes your fancy. Kymarrich Park, Richmarky Park, Markyrich Park -- none of which roll off the tongue easily ;) That deep porch looks like a great place to hang out. Love it all!