Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Idyll#478- The Plants we Covet

gardenbug
14 years ago

Some of us have been talking about Asarum europaeum lately. What items are on your list this Spring?

Comments (101)

• deanneart
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning all,

Its a gray day out there today and the weather people are predicting temps down to 34 tonightGrrrr. So do I bring in all the plants or not? What a pain, I get lulled into this false sense of security this time of the year and out of the blue the forecast changes and Ive got to bring in all the tender stuff yet again. or be lazy and risk losing it. Ill see how I feel about 6 tonight.

Saucy, have a great shopping day! Sounds like fun.

Woody, love the pics of the paths in your back garden. Looking great. ~~ Thanks for the information about Vyvyan. Im going to have to pay attention to keeping enough lime in the soil when I try it again.~~ I know you love White Pines but the trees here are driving me nuts. Pitch everywhere this spring from all the wind damage to the trees over the winter not to mention the billions of pine cones that came down and there are still plenty left to come off the trees. Also, the bumper crop of pine cones created billions of seeds that are feeding the resident rodent populations and what arent getting eaten are germinating so I have baby White Pine trees coming up everywhere. I could create a whole forest from the seedlings in my yard right now. OK, end of rant, LOL

Bug, hope you are feeling better today. I sometimes get like that in the summer for some reason that no one can figure out. I do believe it has something to do with my thyroid but there is no telling exactly what it is.

Candy, yes Ive taken photos of the fish from time to time. Ill have to see where I put those pics. Its been a while. ~~ Thanks for the info on the pork. Interesting because I thought BBQ had to be cooked on the grill and I had no idea how you grilled the pork after slow cooking it for so long.

Kathy, I find it interesting that you grow roses throughout your gardens. Ive not ever had luck with that method and the couple I have outside of my designated area never do too well. You are in rose climate heaven out there though so I imagine that they can be really strong growers.

Norma, love your pond shot. That waterfall is quite beautiful. ~~ You are completely correct about the basement growing area being warmer than in past years so that is probably why the caladium bulbs are doing well this year. Im thinking Im going to keep them indoors until June this year.

Here are a couple pics from the orchid window, they are so pretty right now!
    {{gwi:154693}}

This is a new variety I found at HD this spring and it will probably become one of my favorites. Love the peachy pink tones of this one.
    {{gwi:154694}}

Ok time to get my day started here. Waving hello to one and all,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very gusty outdoors today and it was noisy all night from the wind as well. We expect a HIGH of only 48 today, and a second night of 33F tonight. So Deanne, I expect you may have several cold nights in your future, sorry to say.

I really hope I feel up to more weeding today. I just want to keep ahead so badly! Instead of sleep last night, I thrashed about trying to plan where my new Katsura will be planted... There are a few other things to find good sites for too.

I really wish the university would shape up with their computer woes so that I could deal with my photos. Grrrr.

I'm excited to hear what Saucy returns with from her shopping expedition. So far here I haven't seen much new or exciting, mostly bleeding hearts and pulmonaria. Mind you, it really is way too early to plant most things. Our last frost date is at the end of May!

So far this spring I am enjoying the combination of daffodils with blue anemone blanda. I recommend it to everyone who wants more bulb interest in their spring gardens.

Later friends,
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Ooo-la la Deanne ! The orchid window in all it's glory..just stunning .

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well Deanne, I've never put the effort into orchids here so continue to be mightily impressed by yours! That peachy pink is gorgeous!

Managaed a bit of weeding today, but it is so cold that I ended up at a nursery instead. I picked up a white chelone. I'd bought one last year but it turned out to be pink like what I already have. I also found a gentian (that had been sold out from a catalog) and picked that up. Collected a few other small things too. In the mail were a few crocosmia bulbs so I'll plant those up in a pot for later outdoor planting.

Here are a few photos.
    This is the lathyrus for Saucy:
    {{gwi:154695}}

{{gwi:154696}}

And here is the return of sedum autumn delight.
    {{gwi:154697}}

Corydalis
    {{gwi:154698}}

Ciao,
    'bug

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

The orchids are beatiful Deanne. They must give you great pleasure this time of year.

Bug Autumn Delight is delightful. I have Autumn Charm but it keeps wanting to revert.

It's clearing here this evening, so I hope to get back outside tomorrow. I have some really weedy areas to try to conqure.
    Feeling drowsy since Bob has a fire going, and we just ate.

Have a good evening all. N

• Lara Noles
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, I was out trying to garden but it's cold today! The upside is that gives me a bit of time to visit with you all. The usual going on here, gardening and grandkids. No grandkids during the week though, except Bella a couple of evenings, so lots more time for gardening. I'm loving having time and have been doing all the more involved things I couldn't do when she was small and here all day. Lots of redesigning and shuffling around going on in the garden. So much fun! As for the grandkids...Bella's began a new ritual of spending Friday nights each week. We usually watch a movie of her choice with a snack of her choice too. That's usually popcorn or chocolate chip cookies but we did make pizza a couple of times too. We've also been working on collecting things to make a pretty good sized fairy garden in one of my old raised beds. It will be Bella's creation and we're having fun finding things for it. We're going to a Fairy Festival at a local Herb Farm on Saturday that we're both excited about. As for Kate, we celebrated her 1st birthday last Sunday with a big Elmo shindig. I forgot my camera, (dumb,dumb), so no pictures from me but you can picture her in her pink party dress and her hair up in a little ponytail "Pebbles style" with a pink bow. Her gift from Papa and me was a play kitchen. She had big fun with her little "smash cake" and needed a good hosing down when she was finished.

I don't have an idea of what's going on with those of you not on FB so I'm going to take the rest of my time and read back through the last couple of Idylls to catch up.

There is frost predicted for tonight so I need to go scout the garden and make sure I don't leave anything out that will be damaged. I am loving spring and most thoroughly enjoying it this year! Hope you all are too!

Eden

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Greetings, folks -- wow, amazing photos for a couple days' absence -- I can practically smell those roses, Kathy!

Norma, your waterfall is so lovely - you are a master at creating peaceful and dramatic water views -- your addiction to rocks serves you well! I've had the slumps myself w/ fatigue and other things and likely slept more than I should have over the weekend -- the weather confounded me but did manage to get some things planted and the winter wardrobe put away... so of course it's going to be 36 degrees tonite -- and I'll have to dig out the winter woolies again and cover plants! Sheesh...

Deanne -- those orchids are so amazing -- that looks like the most lush exhibition yet you've had -- I cant get one to rebloom no matter what. In fact, I think Im going to cut down on houseplants as they're not getting enuf attention and continue to get pests..

'bug -- what luck to get your wish list fulfillment with that katsura red fox - what a beauty it will be.

Have had computer issues at the awfice and I think they followed me home.....been rebooting and getting various weird msgs here....

Eden - how great to see you here - I have somehow missed that you are creating a fairy garden with Bella - I cant wait to see what you two creative wonders come up with in the concept.

We found out today that Im going to have a little girl for my first grandbaby so I can imitate many of your creative wonders found here on the idylls -- Im so excited. DD and DH hoped for a boy but they'll get over it - I think it has more to do with that they cannot agree on a name for a girl but had settled on a boy name, LOL.... Now, if only the baby would arrive here in a month instead of 4, I wouldnt have time to dwell on other things. Maybe I'll be babyproofing and dogproofing at the same time in a few months, LOL....

I am so amazed at the incredible photos being posted on the moments threads -- Gardenbug, Candy, Deanne, Saucy, Kathy, V -- I know I havent mentioned all but wow - they're amazing!!

Kathy, that Ramona clematis I know I've commented before -- it does so well for you - it's a type 2 too I think isnt it? so you have a great "thumb" for them! I've got several really budding up now and a few little blooms of roses starting up - another week or so of warmer weather and things will be popping here too.

Will try to check in tomorrow - home for dentist and other things and looking forward to sleeping in and getting to do some stuff in the yard if it doesnt blow up too windy! Yeaha. Golly, they're talking 80s this weekend.... bizarre.

-cindy

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Ive finally had a chance to pop in here after a busy weekend and equally busy work days.

We stopped at the farm of a lady and her daughter that sell perennials in WI. We had stopped 2 years ago when we were at my sisters. They have a nice variety of plants and I can always find something I dont have. We stopped on the way and then had to stop on the way back as well. Since my mom became enamoured with hellebores while we were at Olbrich Gardens. I remembered that they had some there so back we went. I found some trollius, bloodroot, alchemilla erythropoda, drumstick allium, frittalaria, variegated oat grass and hens and chicks.

Olbrich Gardens was a smallish but extremely well designed and interesting garden. There was a lot blooming and I got a few more ideas for early bloomers. Ill have to put some pictures on a separate thread.

Cindy, only 4 months huh? Patience my dear. What fun to add another little Idyll baby girl.

Deanne, while at Olbrich I wondered about your orchids since they had some in the conservatory. Yours are as lovely as ever. Thanks for posting those.

bug, I have sedum Autumn Delight and really like it. I even took some cuttings last summer to put some in my front door garden. Thanks for the clem list. Ive saved it. Ive got several on your list.

Woody, Misty may not be elegant but is sure cute.

Norma, your pond is just grand.

Marian, Ive killed quite a few Jacobs Ladders. Although, Touch of Class has returned this year.

Kathy, Im so glad you grow such lovely roses so I can enjoy them long distance.

Saucy, your magnolia shot is fabulous. Id say framable.

Im enjoying all the interesting shots on the Moments thread.

I came in from the garden and it was 8:50. I love the longer evenings. It was lovely today after a light rain yesterday.

Im noticing lots of seedlings from my clematis this year. Ive not had that much in the past.

Im off to enjoy Tower Hill.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Phew, the some-assembly-required file cabinet has been completed. It took me all evening ! No dinner, no WALAT, just inserting tab A into slot B , and not too many mishaps, although the very last step involved an ill fitting part, which fortunately is optional. So just a brief hello here,

It rained most of the day today, so all my newly planted stuff from the weekend got a nice drink-as did the items still languishing in their containers. We had some wind too, but for once in my life I had the Delphiniums well staked and they came through just fine.

bug, I always forget about anemone blanda. Another bulb that is inexpensive and easy to tuck in here and there. Youll have to remind when we nag each other about planting bulbs this fall. Lovely photos ! I just picked up Autumn Delight last weekend. I will pull up a huge grove of Borage to make room for it- the Borage will prevail eventually anyway !

Hi Eden ! We better get a whole photo-essay on the fairy garden

Cindy, I would not feel guilty at all about extra sleep if I were you, if you need it, you need it ! Im afraid I have no clue what type Clem Ramona is. I do whack her back quite a bit in January. She gets a lot of thatch and gets entwined in neighboring plants . She does re-bloom , which is nice.

Ok I really need to cal it a night, Ill leave you with a photo I took yesterday..

Prospero and Delphiniums

{{gwi:154699}}From Garden 2010 Spring

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here I am at 3:40am checking the Idylls. Wish I could be more like Cindy!!!

Kathy, that Prospero is one amazing healthy rose! Won't see anything at all near that lush in my northern garden. I'm hoping for a good delphinium year though, but I can't tell yet how things will go.

Michelle, I remember your visit to that small nursery. It always seems to delight you. Glad you found some special plants for both you and your Mom.

I'm afraid the computer may be attacked by a virus or else the system isn't working once more. Things are taking entirely too long... so if I disappear, that is the cause.

This weekend we travel north where DH gives a talk and we visit a friend with a 12 year old Bouvier. Phoebe will not be joining us though because of complications at the friend's house. Our friend will be watching over her at home.

It turns out that DS may be dropping by for a few days as well. Never know with him....

Enjoy your gardens!
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    13 years ago

Marie, getting up early this time of year isn't such a bad thing, but maybe 3:30 is just a bit too early:) You can get all of your indoor chores out of the way and be ready for the garden later. And there's no reason you can't go to bed early or nap later, right? I love getting up early (more like 5am though). I haven't been able to do that for quite awhile because Bella was here until anywhere from 9-11pm and I'd get too tired staying up that late.

Ivy took her first steps! How exciting. Kate's still crawling though Bella was walking by her first birthday. They all do things in their own time. Speaking of birthdays, Miss Ivy's will be coming up very soon won't it? Is a party planned? Have you decided on a gift for her yet?

I see european ginger mentioned at the top of the thread. I have lots of that in my gardens. It reseeds everywhere. I've never considered it a ground cover so much though as it mostly grows in 12" clumps here, more like the habit of a clumping sedum. A really pretty plant though with it's glossy leaves. Some of my ground covers...I love my sweet woodruff, a good spreader but easy to yank out if it goes too far and dense enough that the weeds don't grow in it. Also I have an astilbe that's low growing and spreads like a ground cover, love the foliage on that one. Ajugas are great ground covers for me, ornamental oregano Kent Beauty I love, geranium dalmaticum has grown into quite a nice clump of ground cover for me, assorted dianthus, and of course, the lamiums, Ann Greenaway is a favorite, nice bright foliage. Some of the miniature hostas make a nice patch of groundcover, one that comes to mind is Green Eyes. Creeping sedums...I have lots but they're not really my favorites. They have a hard time spreading in my clay soil I think and get weedy.

Woody, seeing the picture of your nursery visit I have to tell you we just purchased a couple of those colorful chairs. Purple ones for us. I also saw the brightly colored tomato cages. I use upside down tomato cages alot in my gardens to keep plants from flopping but like them to disappear into the plant so none of those for me.

Woody, love the picture of your freshly mulched paths. Really nice layout. I'm thinking of forging a new path through my back garden. We'll see.

Cindy, congratulations on the baby being a granddaughter! I secretly always hope for a girl. I think they're more fun but of course we love the baby boys too.

Kathy, your roses are always so pretty. They just amaze me. I'm glad I can gaze upon yours because they're one of the things I've mostly gotten rid of to make room for other plants that do better here. Too much work in my climate and even then they never look like yours. I'm down to an Eden climbing rose, a Heritage and a few minis. And the Heritage's days may be numbered, lol.

I gave up on Jacob's Ladder long ago. They don't like me. Marian I can't believe you have such a beauty that was a volunteer!

Deanne, those orchids! Ohlala! Very impressive!!!

We'll be sure to let you all know how the fairy garden turns out. It should be interesting. So far Bella has collected everything from a mini Eiffel Tower to sea shells to gnomes to put in it. I'm sure it will have many of her little animals as residents too. Should be interesting. I've got lots of miniature plants she can use but I'm going to let her pretty much put things where she wants. Should be interesting...and fun! Bella's very excited about it.

I've been at this for over an hour. Lots more I could comment about but I have to get going and do some chores so I can spend the nice part of the day in the garden. Have a great Wednesday all!

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DH is outside using a friend's power saw to cut down a dead tree. I'm using his computer because, as predicted, mine has a horrid virus. He's taking it in for repairs tomorrow.

The wind here is fierce and there is only one protected area where it is pleasant to work. My friend Ann has claimed that spot..which is great. I have an overflow of purple sensation alium growing there as well as some garlic mustard creeping in, so she is attacking those. I weeded a row of the vegetable garden, so not too much left there except for spreading raspberry plants. A nasty job!

My katsura is planted! That was a great start to the day!

Eden, I don't think Ivy will be having a party. Her birthday is Monday, and that's the day she begins day care and her Dad returns to work. I'm sure it will be a tricky week for them. First of all, DSIL will have to shave off his beard! LOL!

I saw the colorful tomato cages this weekend for the first time. Very cute...but I too like mine to blend with their surroundings.

That's it for now!
    'bug

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Afternoon all,

Well the cold weather has chased me in the house. Its FREEZING out there. Its currently 41 degrees with a very stiff wind blowing. Im sure the chill factor was well below freezing. I stuck it out and stayed outside working until it started spitting rain and sleet then threw in the towel. My garden helper came over today again and spread a yard of bark mulch while I spent several hours rebuilding the rock wall around the dogwood tree and rhododendron. So although it was a shorter day than planned we got a lot accomplished. Yesterday I rebuilt the stone steps up to the area behind the pond. Hopefully we will finally get the pond cleaned out this weekend so the fish can get outside. I wanted to get that accomplished over last weekend but it never hit the top of the "to-do" list.

Bug, love that lathyrus! What a pretty plant. And that S. Autumn Delight is beautiful,. How tall does that get? ~~ bummer about the computer virus! Hope it gets well soon.

Eden, love the idea of your Friday evenings with Bella. You both must love it. ~~ How interesting that you dont have good luck with Jacobs Ladder, I dont either. I just love them but they simply dont do well here and I gave up on them.

Cindy, if your orchids are not re-blooming try putting them in an area where they will get more light. They like very bright diffused light. Mine are in a south facing window with a sheer curtain. It lets in lots of light but no direct light on the leaves. ~~ Congratulations on the upcoming arrival of your Granddaughter. ~~ RE the strange weather, low 40s here today and 80s on Saturday.

Michelle, sounds like you got quite a haul at Olbrich Gardens. Do you have a spot planned for all those goodies or are you just going to tuck them in where it seems appropriate?

Kathy, that Prospero Rose is absolutelygorgeous! Not to mention its fantastic with those delphs. Ive never had really good luck with delphiniums, they dont come back well for me (probably due to rodents) and I never get them staked before a wind/rain storm and over they go. So glad others grow them well so I can enjoy!

Okie Dokie, must run and think about cooking something for dinner. Thought youd enjoy this Am. Goldfinch shot I got yesterday.

{{gwi:154700}}

Have a great evening all,
    Deanne

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Cindy, I didn't know the baby was due so quick. Although four months is a long time when you are pregnant. A little girl will be just fine. I hope you will be feeling much better for the coming weekend.

Michelle, nice score on new plants. It must have been dark by 8:50. Nice that you have the longer daylight to work in the garden now.

Deanne, I wish I could find someone I would trust to help me weed and such. The finch shot is outstanding.

Eden It's good to have you stopping by here again. It will be fun to see Bella's Fairy garden evolve.
    You have been doing a lot in your garden. Looking forward to pictures of what you have done. I have found that putting in more paths in the gardens really helps me with knowing where to place plants and makes for easier weeding.

Kathy I agree with everyone else . That rose and delphinium shot is spectacular.

It was sunny today so I weed eated for six hours. Things had really gotten out of hand. Fortunately some of my outlying beds don't get viewed up close very often so I just weed eat around the clumps of plants. No way can I weed all of that by hand. Unfortunately I probably spread a billion more weed seeds around. Wish I could have gotten to them sooner. I expect my arm and shoulder muscles will be really sore tomorrow. I noticed a couple of first Clematis blooms today.
    I'm hoping to plant a few things tomorrow. But I think we have rain headed our way again. I think we have gotten about two and a half inches of our four inch deficit now

Time for a check in from Julie, Denise and V. All others too.

Norma

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Okay, Deanne and Norma - you put us to shame -- sounds like you guys have been working like a chain gang all the heavy labor type things you've been doing - between slinging rocks in wind and sleet to weed eating (nasty noise & smell of gas) for that length of time. It was horribly windy here too, Deanne - felt like it was 30 degrees; I was afraid to plant anything w/ more frost warnings and the wind has been so fierce... and then threats of 89 degrees for the weekend.... talk about extreme gardening - plants that survive these swings are mighty strong!

That goldfinch photo is spectacular -- W O W ......

I love that lathyrus shot, 'bug - just the color Im looking for - I've got the roseus and alba, but hope to have that lavendar some day. It sounds like you're getting lots accomplished with helpers and your own hard work.

Not much to report here -- didnt get the garden day as I hoped but Im almost getting used to that - it just doesnt seem to work out if I try to plan for it any more... well there's always the weekend! It was a good day - any day not at the awfice is!!!

Im going to get to work on uploading a few photos of the tulips and Asao and other things if I can tonite....

By the way, I actually usually order my fall bulbs by July 1 -- I think it was Cynthia W who used that deadline and it seems to work well for me -- while it's the middle of summer, I stop and look over my list and place some orders - that way Im assured to get what I want and get it done.

--Cindy

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of the Asao from a week or so ago....

{{gwi:154701}}

{{gwi:154703}}

And my favorie tulip, Mariette:

{{gwi:154704}}

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Love the Goldfinches Deanne..I have had them visiting my garden heavily for the last few months. They are one of my faves along with the black-headed Juncos we have here. The Goldfinches are funny about their feeding habits; I have a dedicated finch feeder with thistle seed and they may go a week without visiting it and then all of a sudden they are all over the place , fighting it out for ports etc. This last week they were all on my regular platform feeder that has the sunflower hearts, sometimes a dozen of them at a time. I just cant imagine a garden without birds.

Cindy, I love those tulips in the last pic ! I might need to copy you..can you ID for me ?

Norma, I am totally impressed with a 6 hr weedeating session. The vibrations from those things always make my hands and forearms numb after about 30 minutes.

All for me, Im still trying to organize the new filing system and all the damn cords from the computer equipment..

Im glad you all enjoyed Prospero and the Delphs, this is a view from the opposite of the island bed they live in. {{gwi:154705}}From Garden 2010 Spring

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YES! Cindy shows off her Asao, all color coordinated with her tulips! Lots of wonderful textures going on there too.

I hope you have all checked out the spectacular (Reed) moon tonight!

Norma, six hours of weed whacking sounds like too much to me! I hope you soaked in a nice bath for a while this evening.

Deanne, so far my Sedum Autumn Delight is not very large. Michelle, how tall is yours?

Eden, we contributed money to cover Ivy's music lessons, her tricycle and a family dinner out. Long distance grandparenting stinks!

I managed to get back on my treadmill this evening, so I must be feeling better. ;)

Yoo Hoo! Where is V???
    Nite all!
    'bug & Phoebe (who is tired from chasing her buddy Morgan all day long)

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I drove home from my photo class under the Reed moon and wondered how to get a shot of it :)

My magnolia shot was well received last night. He's a great instructor and my classmates are fun, too. Some of us are meeting on Friday to take photos in Petersham (I don't even know where that is...guess I'd better look!).

The instructor lives on a farm with angora goats. I want to live on a farm with angora goats.

I got a fabulous package from Drema - she's sharing plants with me. I received some Butterbur or petasites and a hosta. I am putting the petasites somewhere away from my cultivated gardens, don't worry....I have just the spot!

My neighbor and I are working furiously toward opening day: May 1st. Yesterday I built extra purlins for the hanging plants in the greenhouse from galvinized pipe. I am proud of my handiness :) We must have 40 hanging plants in there...it's quite colorful.

I haven't bought much on our shopping sprees: an agastache with gray/green foliage and red flowers (says it's hardy to 4, must be a lie!), 2 poppies, one peach, one white. I really like shade garden plants this time of year, but we haven't done that kind of shopping yet. I like shade gardening now because the mosquitoes have yet to make an appearance.

I love the goldfinch, Deanne! I am so happy to hear that your garden help is working out. She sounds like a gem! Tell her we all say hello and give her a scare :)

Cindy, I always love your garden when you post pictures! And your color coordination is fabulous. You're weeks ahead of us up here.

I like to weedeat, Norma, I think everything looks so neat afterwards.

Waving hello to everyone! I think V. is probably herding chickens or tending bees...she's a busy one these days.

Hopefully donning shorts,

Saucy

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

Well I decided to bring in all the plants last evening because it was supposed to go down to freezing and then of course it didnt go below 40 The fluctuating temps this time of year make me nuts!!!!! LOL Now I have to get the whole lot of them back outside this morning as it is supposed to be up in the 60s today. Saturday is supposed to be in the 80s. Yikes. It sounds like the weather has been just as crazy everywhere. Hope everyones plants survived the freezing and wind.

Kathy, love those delphs with the roses in the BG. Gorgeous!!! Not to mention how lovely it is to see your pristine lily foliage in the foreground. We are already battling lily beetles this year.

Cindy, Asao has to be the prettiest early blooming clematis. Lovely shots with your perfectly color coordinated tulips. Beautiful!

Norma, good grief, six hours with a week whacker! Yikes, my hands would be numb for days. Id love to see more photos of your pond if you get a chance?!

Hey Saucy, of course your lovely magnolia shot was well received. Its a beauty! Love the idea of red flowered gray/green foliage agastache. Id love to see a pic of it. Do you have the name?

OK time to get to work, have a great day all,
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Kathy - could you please ask your dephiniums and Prospero to pause in time for us til about July 1??? Those combos are looking just luscious.

Sorry for the horrible photos - I need to adjust something on my camera from when someone recently borrowed it -- and Im such a doofus w/ it I know the light settings are off, but she played around with it but I havent had a chance to remember to go look up the info in the manual and re-adjust. I usually am in a hurry to pick it up & run outside to grab a few shots but always in the worse light.... maybe I can pick up some hints from you folks - as I have from my gardens.... I totally think I've picked up so many hints and knowledge from studying idyll photos or other personal gardens.... I have a long way to go, but it helps to creat a more "critical" eye toward one's own and learn to emulate the "masters" here!

Saucy, your neighbor's garden sounds amazing - I think I've missed out on its background somehow - is it open to the public where she sells her divisions, etc., during the season or is it a more pre-eminent place I should know about but missed the info? In any case, I would be in plant haven having someone with a big garden offering up her divisions each year -- I'd be trading that blood, sweat and tears in plants I suspect.

I cant wait to see your poppies either, Saucy -- I have about given up -- none of the numerous numerous oriental types have survived - most never even come up, no matter whether bare root or plant. I've got one success -- Raspberry Queen that seems to come back but doesnt seem to multiply either -- it's the Sole Survivor, LOL. I ordered about 6 different types of agastache too this year -- they seem to do well for me; but I was afraid the harsh winter had killed off the others - but I've found several managed to overwinter in the microclimate areas.

Eden, you use so many interesting things as groundcovers/front of the border plants -- and I know that Bella is going to have a discerning eye like her g-ma when it comes to the fairy garden. I'll be taking notes for my future one when there's a grandgirl in my gardens. Cant wait... but I guess I should wait til she walks, right?

Cold again but inching up here... I guess I'd rather have the 90s than the 30s if I had to make a choice tho... My small clematis order arrived yesterday, and a couple other little things -- they are sitting in their boxes til the warm-up of today. I dearly need more topsoil this yeawr too - for some reason I had terrible runoffs during the snow melts - I guess there was just too much water melting at once. So that's on the critical to-do triage list for this weekend. I seem to only get to the triage part, never the maintenance and routine!

-Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Cyn, sorry its late. I think I'm about to be fired as keeper of the Idyll birthdays. Actually, for some reason Hotmail no longer emails me when I have a calendar event.

{{gwi:154706}}

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

{{gwi:154707}}

• deanneart
    13 years ago

{{gwi:154708}}

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Cyn, you are going to have to use your imagination this time! No photos from me for a while I suspect. Just imagine a huge epimedium with white blooms and purple centers, OK?

I hope you enjoyed your special day!

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

O, Cyn - Happy Belated Birthday!

{{gwi:154709}}

Cindy

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday Cyn,
    {{gwi:154710}}

Norma

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I'm the worst, Michelle...the absolute worst!

{{gwi:154713}}

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Michelle, Woody, Deanne, Cindy, 'bug, Kathy, Saucy, and Norma---Oh, how lovely-an extended birthday celebration! All those pics are absolutely marvelous. "bug, I CAN see the epimedium and it's beautiful :) (should that have been plural?). Thanks all. We went into the District with John and Kelly (DS and his sweetie). Lots of fun-Greek tapas place. We don't go into DC often these days, so it was fun. Cindy, it is down near the Marine Corps barracks at 8th and I. Neat little place called Cava Mezza.

I am heading to Bryn Mawr this weekend for 40th HS reunion. 25 out of a class 66 are coming. Should be fun. I just realized that I have gained almost that same number of pounds in those years-uhoh.

Six hours of weed eating Norma??? Wow-I am very impressed. I am trying to talk myself into seeing all those dandelions and other assorted thugs as really very pretty and desirable. So far, I am not convinced. I am also not getting out there to do anything about them. :( It is incredibly inspiring (embarrassing?) to see everyone's perfect gardens.

Deanne, our temps are all over the place, too. Frost warnings Wednesday night-in the 80s today. I am guessing you will get into those shorts, Saucy!

Saucy, I want to write a book with the first line being, "I want to live on a farm with angora goats'! That is a wonderful line.

Time to move stuff out to the curb for our clean-up day. DH will NEVER put anything of his out. He has more doggone junk, but there is always some reason we need to keep it. I mentioned a fluorescent light that has been in the garage for 15-yep, that's 15-years, but why oh why would I want to get rid of that or the $300 worth of electrical stuff that he and a friend were going to use to light the deck-15 years ago!!! Shoot, I didn't even know that was there. Most of the time, everything is actually gone by morning because people drive around with trucks grabbing anything they can find. I would much rather have people using these things than have it sitting wasted in our garage. Oh well.

Thanks again for all the happy b-day wishes.
    Cynthia

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Friday night at last , and not raining! We had one stretch of weather this week, rain here with chains required in the Sierra for two days, a tad of thunder and lightening, and then to top it off, frost on Wednesday night . Glad I didnt put the coleus out, but the begonias held their own. Tomorrow I am going to drive over to a neighboring town to preview a public garden that I have not been to in eons, to make sure it is suitable for IU viewing .

Saucy, I have another photo class in May, its only three sessions , but I hope to get a lot out of it.

Lol Cindy, I usually get three blooms a year out of the Delphiniums, but whether they will cooperate with late June is anyones guess. I bought a couple of white one yesterday Sir Galahad , to add to that grouping. I think it needs a splash of a light color.

All for me tonight, still prime WALAT time, so outside I go !

Kathy in Napa

13 years ago

I've been working the past few days to repair-relevel- some of the bricks in the narrow bed we put in last year. I obviously did a lousy job because a lot of them tilted over the winter. I've got the garden side fixed now and neet to start woking on the road side next. Fortunately it's much easier to fix them than put them in the first time!

I've asked Randy to take close-ups of some Japanese wisteria buds for me to follow their development over the next few weeks. The buds look quite different from the Chinese ones and I don't know how to identify which ones are flowerbuds. Since I only planted the Japanese wisteria in 2007, it might be a bit too much the expect any blooms yet. But it does have flowering wood now. Most of the growth in the expanding bud seems to be leaves but there does seem to be something different at the center... It's probably a case of wisful thinking....
    {{gwi:154717}}

He also took pictures of the trunks so I could sort out what 'clockwise' and 'anti-clockwise' means as it is one of the main distinguishing characteristics of different wisteria species.
    Japanese - clockwise:
    {{gwi:154719}}
    Chinese - anti-clockwise:
    {{gwi:154721}}
    (The leaves you see in that picture are from the Henryi clematis that is growing into the wisteria tree.)

And some cute dogs...

Cookie monster lying in wait...:
    {{gwi:154723}}

Sammy a.k.a. little bug-eyed cutie (a beagle x pug):
    {{gwi:154724}}

We were hoping for a good rain today but it missed us again. It's getting pretty dry around here.

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Warm temps and clear skiesmore stuff to plant ! The visit to the public garden in the county next door was kind of sad, the place seemed a bit run down from the last time I was there (probably 20 years ago) though it is bigger and had some wonderful designs, hardscaping etc. Im hoping all the weeds and somewhat unkempt appearance was a result of our rainy winter- Im going to go back later this month to see if its looking better. They have weddings there , so I cant imagine it staying in that condition. I found myself pulling weeds as I walked along the paths-the soil is fantastic and they came right up. I just couldnt help it yknow ?

I think Im going to plant out my Benarys Giants tomorrow, they have spent well over a week outside and endured our frosty night on Wednesday just fine.

Woody, always enjoy the doggie pics, and interested to see the documentation of your Wisteria as it continues to develop.

Everyone must be out in the garden---thats where Im going right now ..

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Horribly windy again. Kenzie is spending the weekend and would like to spend all day outdoors. We hoed in the veggie garden, took a tractor ride and helped grandpa pick up rocks.

Kenzie walked into her garden and said "my garden is a mess! Look at all the weeds" She didn't really want to help me weed though LOL Its a good thing I have lots of tulips in my gardens as we have had at least 4 flower picking trips around the garden. I had bemoaned my spring garden earlier, but for some reason this year it really has a lot going on. I'm quite pleased with the epimediums that I put in last year. The candytuft looks fantastic, better than in years. Brunnera 'Jack Frost' which has been kind of a dud for me is actually blooming. Of course all the tulips help also.

Which reminds me, last weekend we stopped by my sister's neighbor who had an absolutely huge bulb display. He is really into bulbs and digs them up each year, composts them and plants all new. Expensive and labor intensive in my book. He was out when we stopped with a measuring stick and a notebook which I got a kick out of.

I have nothing in my pot ghetto which is just amazing. I'm a little disturbed by the deer footprints right by the house, a munched hosta and a few other things that have been nibbled. The Liquid Fence has been hauled out and I will have to take care of that task asap. In the past I've never had much problem. Last year they ate my Bright Lights Chard to the ground every time it would send out new leaves, but left pretty much everything else alone.

I posted a few days ago but I don't see it now. I wonder if I only previewed and never posted.

'bug, 'Autumn Delight' is probably 12-15" tall for me.

Speaking of poppies, of the perennial kinds I have some reds that of course do fabulously. All the others have failed. I do see the "Princess Victoria Louise" poppies that I grew from seed last summer look like they may produce this year and "Ruffled Patty" which I bought last year survived but is very small. I have lots and lots of annual poppies that seed everywhere. They all live around my garden shed except for "Lauren's Grape" which is in the butterfly garden.

A couple of shots from the raised stone garden that is right outside the windows in the dining area. Spring is this gardens best time by design. I figure when the weather is cool and rainy I can still enjoy this area from indoors.

{{gwi:154727}}

{{gwi:154729}}

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

We had a very productive day yesterday and finally got the pond all cleaned out including the bio-filter which is a huge task I need Doug for. The fish can finally go outside in their summer quarters. Doug and I also got the rest of the giant plants out of the basement so his shop is now plant free again. I started putting coleus outside on the back deck in the shade as this warm weather looks like its going to last a while now. I really cant wait to get everything outside so I dont have any more indoor watering chores to deal with.

I got in a wonderful order of caladium bulbs from Caladium Bulbs 4 less.com and they are super looking bulbs! Im really thrilled because they had some mammoth Miss Muffet bulbs and they were indeed MAMMOTH! I cant wait to see the size plants they produce.

Heres a pic of a couple rock walls Ive rebuilt in the last week. Im also in the middle of building another rock wall to surround a small bed for Hosta and Astilboides.
    {{gwi:154731}}

Ill get a photo of the new bed when its finished, hopefully today. I cant believe that its already May and I know the garden tour in June is going to come up very fast.

Michelle, we had some terrible windy days this past week and it did a lot of damage to the newly emerged leaves. There was debris strewn everywhere. I was pretty discouraged because Id already gotten the back yard totally cleaned up and mulch spread next to the shed area and it all has to be cleaned up again. ~~ Sounds like you had a great time with Kenzie. Did you take photos of the bulb display? Id really like to see that. ~~ My Jack Frost is really loaded with flowers this year and sooo very pretty.
    {{gwi:154732}}
    I so hope the liquid fence works and the deer go foraging somewhere else. Id be crazed if I had deer in my garden! ~~ Your spring garden is sooo. Beautiful! Love the combination with Candytuft and the daffs/alchimilla. My Candytuft winter burned this year and I had to cut most of it back so only have a very few flowers.

Kathy, lol about pulling weeds in the public garden. I find myself doing the same thing. As you said, cant help myself.

Woody, love the doggie pics and wisteria photos. Those buds you took pics of on the Japanese wisteria look like leaves to me. The flower buds on my Japanese Wisteria emerge before you see any leaf development at all. There arent yet any leaves on mine that I see in your photograph. Ill try to get a closer picture of the buds for you later.
    {{gwi:154734}}

Cyn, I lol about your DH and his collecting stuff. Mine does the same thing and I just had a discussion with him about his saving the wood from the deck we tore down ten years ago. He just had to save it for projects but of course it is just taking up space and a pain to clean around in the back corner of the yard.

Cindy, I guess you are going to get your 90 degree weather today? We are supposed to hit that temp today as well.. So we went from a full day of 41 degrees and windy with freezing chill factors to 90 degrees in the space of a few days. I wish the weather would make its mind up.

OK time to get outside before this day heats up and chases me in the house because its too hot outside. Have a terrific day everyone!
    Deanne

13 years ago

Deanne - I was afraid that was the case... It does have the flowering wood/spurs that match what my wisteria book says will be there before it flowers. But I wondered if they would need to mature a few years before flowering. I guess that's going to be the case :-( I was hoping the fat buds last spring might be flowers but they weren't. On the Chinese wisteria, it is easy to tell the difference even the previous fall. The Japanese one has two sizes of buds but so far they have both turned out to be leaves, which is sort of odd.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Back from a weekend away. It did rain during our absence, thank heavens. I am hoping for gardening weather this coming week.
    I am waiting for news about my computer being repaired....
    In the meantime, DS is here for a visit!

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

In for some respite from the 90s temps -- egad - yesterday it hit 94, and today it's like 92..... so much for any work really getting done. Cyn picked a great weekend to go away - hard to do much garden duty. I did plant a few things yesterday before the heat drove me inside and watered them heavily today, with hopes that there really might be showers late today. Other than emptying pots and tying some things up, it was hard to move in the 60% humidity and temps...

Deanne, what gorgeous walls -- you've been working like a yeoman on those things - they are gorgeous. Your beds look beautiful and immaculate with all the lovely foliage.

Michelle -- your gardens are looking so gorgeous -- you have plenty of pretty bulbs from what I can see -- LOL re Kenzie advising you to weed her garden - they're great for giving out orders arent they? What fun to have her the whole weekend to do g-parent stuff with -- what a treat for all of you.

While I might never own wisteria, Im finding the education re Japanese vs Chinese, buds/leaves fascinating... and who would have ever thought whether a vine grew clockwise or counter clockwise would distinguish what it was!

Kathy -- wouldnt you love to have taken some of that great soil home with you along w/ the weeds? I imagine a lot of public gardens are suffering this year due to budget cuts and/or lack of donations.

Well, back to shoveling inside instead I guess.... the first of the roses are starting but my Zephrihine got broken in the 2 bad windy days - snapped right to the ground - I should have had it tied more carefully... there are some new shoots coming up so it's not dead, but no May showing over the gate this year....

--Cindy

• chelone
    13 years ago

The "Peagle" cracked me up, Woody. So did the pre-cookie crouch. A posture I know well! The Wrecking Crew has long since departed, Norma. But, like a bad penny they're due to return on Friday. Rex will be thrilled... wish I could say the same, but I hate dogs.

So many wonderful photos, but my nod goes to the lovely Miss Niki in her planter. Nothing comes close, sorry!

A fully mobile Ivy is indeed a milestone... I thought about her new found mobility as I surveyed the Reed Moon on my way to work the other day... the sun just cresting the horizon while the Reed Moon was fully visible gave me wonderful pause. Sad times linger, but hope springs anew, yes?

Kenzie is around a lot, Michelle. I suspect I've mangaged to miss something significant... yes?

Magnolia "Butterflies" has several lovely blossoms, though not "loaded" by a long shot. It's a very pretty shrub, but be prepared to wait for a nice display. The gardens are woefully overlooked, but that's part and parcel of the nature of the marine canvas and awning business.

Still waiting for my new machine, which is definitely on "the slow boat from Japan". I hope Denise and Marty will salute every freighter from Japan and wish it's contents God's speed. I need a compound feed machine!

That's all.

• denisez10
    13 years ago

A belated happy birthday, Cyn!

{{gwi:154736}}

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Our neighbor's cows escaped this past week. His brother stopped by to warn Rick to watch my garden as they tried to herd them home. I'll bet most of you don't have that problem!

Cindy, don't you just hate it when spring is so short because of premature summer temps. Our temps were no where near the 90's this weekend. It was windy and cool again today. It was my parents first weekend at the lakes so we had lunch with them and dropped Kenzie off after that. My mom, Kenzie and I took a walk down to the lake and skipped some stones. Kenzie loves swinging and spent quite a bit of time on the little swing set there. I'm trying very hard to think of a creative way to incorporate a couple of swings in my garden. We don't really have the right kind of tree in the right area. Rick bought this huge swing set at the auction a couple of weeks ago of a small school in the area that closed. Its much too big for our yard, but I wanted the horse swing that is made from tires. It also came with a couple of other swings.

Deanne, I commend you on your wall building. They are so professional looking. I know how hard the work is. I'm sorry to say that I didn't have my camera with me when for the bulb display.

Chelone, its a long story but at the moment Kenzie is here in Iowa until things can be settled in court.

Got to go, this grandma is worn out.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Denise! How I love Lysimachia atropurpurea 'Beaujolais', but it is definitely an annual in my gardens! If I see any for sale at all - early in the season - I think it is worth it!

Michelle, my heart goes out to you and Kenzie and your situation. I have an inkling of some of the challenges, both now and ahead. Court is not a perfect solution, but it is a tool that works for some people at times. Skyler's parents are still going through various processes..and it has been years.

I see some blue sky on the horizon this morning. We have had rain again last night and what a relief! It certainly was needed. I need to work on our hoses soon though. I've put in new washers but somehow they still leak everywhere. Very annoying. Last night DH and DS installed the small dock on our pond. It is so nice to get small jobs accomplished with an extra pair of willing hands!

With DS visiting I feel the need to actually put some effort into meal preparation. His work is all consuming for him and he is a driven man. His eating habits are terrible. So when he is here he does some running which is good! Last night we had asparagus from the garden as well as some home grown sorrel in our salad (with mango!) I made a quick cheese, onion and red pepper omelet to go with. That son of mine needs greens and vegetables in his system! I also made a crustless cranberry pie for dessert. All the meals means less time for gardening...but I still manage to sneak in some mowing time. With all the rain, the grass (and weeds)keep growing!

I hope to hear from Ivy's family today, especially since this is her first birthday! Wouldn't a photo be nice? A Nana can only hope...

Happy Monday to all!
    'bug

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I've made castings of your sorrel, GB, and I called it dock....but sorrel is much nicer. I'm thinking of trying to do a veggie theme, such as a carrot, a head of cabbage, etc. and sorrel would fit right in.

Sarah's home with me today as she's been sick with Strep and is contagious for 24 hours after starting the antibiotic. She just had a sore throat on Saturday...by Sunday it was so much more. She's a pitiful patient :) but she's on the road to wellville.

Deanne's rock walls are fabulous! It's amazing to me that you've mined all the rocks as well as building the walls.

Say hello to your son from Mass, GB. It must be nice to feed him well :)

Michelle, I don't have any worries about cows grazing my garden here! I wonder what they'd eat first?

It looks like it rained overnight, which was needed, but now I wonder what the day brings? A return to Spring would be nice as I've not finished all that I wanted to get done before the mosquitoes become too annoying.

TTYL

Saucy

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Too many things needed doing last week and encroached into my Idyll time. I see I missed Cyns birthday altogether since I failed to even keep up on reading. Honestly, I have to cheat and use a photo from last season for your card, Cyn, how bad is that? Just havent been taking many photos since my lack of spring color is so pathetic. Nevertheless, glad you had a good one and hope your reunion was fun!

{{gwi:149105}}
    Cindy, congratulations on the baby granddaughter youre going to welcome in just 4 months. With all the Idyll grandmas, youll have advice and experience at your fingertips! Your garden will be perfect for a little girl with the wonderful shades of pink and pastelsbeautiful Asao!

Nice youre enjoying a visit with your son, Bug. Feed him well and if he stays any length of time he might develop a taste for those veggies. Hope you received a newsy communication (and photos) from the family to celebrate Ivys birthday. Im sure shes going to take off now that shes taken those first couple of steps!

Saucy, how do you find enough time to work with your neighbor and then in your own gardens? Especially now when everything needs done at once!

Those orchid photos have such a romantic quality about them, Deanne, or thats just my perspective. Something reminiscent of Victorian times with delicate colors, urn amongst the vases and soft fabric of the window treatments. Youre correct, I certainly did enjoy the little Goldfinch and I never noticed they have that little area of speckling on the head. Always fascinated by rock walls but I cant imagine how you make them look soright. I mean, Id be constantly thinkingthis one here, or should it be that one?and it would take me forEVER!

Woody, the cookie monster lying in wait is a perfect caption for that photo! Is he as good natured and cuddley as he looks? Sammy caused me to do a quick double takefirst time for me with the breed!

No matter how many times I look at those Delphs, Kathy, the color just blows me away Wow, they are out of this world! Ditto what you said on the weed eater. Even after the numbness wears off I feel twitches and tiny tremors in my forearms or have the sensation they could float right up in the air. Norma, how in the heck do you manage to use that thing for so long?!

Michelle, you have such a fantastic display of spring color and what a great idea to build the raised garden to be seen from the DR window. Your gardens appear so well planned and thought out I find it hard to believe you described yourself as a "plopper" in a previous post, lol! Good that you are able to spend more time with Kenzie in spite of the situation; my fingers are crossed things will even out and the intervention be of help.

Weve had three days of high wind, gusting up to 40 mph without rain. Im feeling quite fractious watching the endless assault of helicopters coming down. What a cursethey are everywhere. Ill never get them out of the new grass seed and mulch areas, aaargh. And then, of course, I spent three days putting down top soil where the stump was ground out getting it level, raking it smooth, applying more seed only to have a tree three houses down let loose and across they sailed. Today at the store, the checker told me I had two helicopters stuck in my hair.

I think Id rather have a wandering cow stroll through the gardens than 12,452,000 helicopters.

Candy

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Candy, the answer is that I don't get everything done in my garden. Luckily perennials show up (well at least most of them) every year whether the chores are done or not. I do find time to come throw a new plant in here and there, and usually I mulch with rotted manure every other year (this is the year!). I get bored with my immature garden and like to poke around in the finished ones (but are they ever really finished?).

In fact, I got up early to play in the garden (mine) before it gets too hot! I even made a pot of decaf to make it more pleasureable.

Sarah's had Strep over the weekend. That was no fun. Luckily a day of antibiotics and a day out of school have made her right as rain. She skipped around the kitchen this morning while getting ready (she loves school).

She's gone now and I want to get outside and enjoy this morning I have planned for myself. It was nice to see what V.'s been up to on the other thread...I've been reading another bee book and thinking of peeking inside to see how things are going this Spring.

Saucy

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Good morning Idylls,

We are supposed to have a beautiful day here with temps in the high 70s with a chance of T storms later. Im hoping we get rain and no wind. Ive about had it with the wind debris here. It seems that every time I get things picked up we get another bout of strong winds. Yesterday a front coming through pushed some 40 to 50mph gusts through here so my first task this AM is to get it all picked up yet again. Its wreaking havoc with the plants Im trying to harden off outside. Ive got them in a protected spot but they just arent ready for winds that strong and frankly most of them are never ready for 50 mph wind gusts. My poor dracenas are a mess and Im going to have to cut the tops off a couple of them and hope to root them. They are so wind burned the whole tops are blackened. Bummer after getting them in good shape through the winter. But Im looking at this as an opportunity because I was going to have to top them after this summer anyway because they are getting way too tall.

Yesterday I potted up the Charles Grimaldi brugmansia and the large Cordyline australis and have started putting the Cana pots in the container border. Today my garden helper is coming over and well get that area mulched, edged and ready for the season. The one good thing this unseasonably warm weather (it was 87 here on Sunday) has done is give the brugmansias a jump start on the season so hopefully theyll bloom earlier than normal.

Candy, I feel your pain re: the winds and tree debris. Here its pine cones. The trees produced an enormous crop of them last year and not only do I have to pick up pine cones on a daily basis, I have baby pine trees coming up everywhere. The rodent populations have exploded because of the readily available food source. What a pain. ~~ Yes indeed the rock walls take a lot of time to put together and my hands ache for a couple days after I work with the rocks.

Saucy, hope Sarah is feeling better. ~~ How are you doing with this unseasonable heat? Ive been feeling pretty yukky by the afternoons and I dont imaging you are doing much better. Im just not accustomed to the heat yet.

Bug, have a great time visiting with DS. Must be a treat to have him home. ~~ thanks for the link to those photos they are indeed WOW!

LOl about the cows Michelle, no that is not a problem Id ever encounter here.

Chelone, hope your machine comes soon

Cindy, Im with you on trying to get anything accomplished in 90 degree weather. I feel like Im moving through a sea of molasses when its like that.

Woody, so were those buds on the wisteria? You should know by now. Mine has started opening flowers in the last few days because of the hot weather.

A couple pics for the day, my coleus stash. These were all wintered over under lights
    {{gwi:154738}}

And my very large Cordyline potted up for the season.
    {{gwi:154740}}

OK time to get motivated and get my day started, have a great day all.
    Deanne

13 years ago

Candy - The cookie monster is a 'she' (Zoe) and yes, she's friendly/cuddly - as cuddly as 100 lbs. or so of rambunctious young dog can be! There's a picture earlier on this thread of her doing 'kissy-face' with me. She is a big slobberer though so I often don't see well after a stop at her place - because she's slobbered all over my glasses!

Deanne - it looks definitely like the buds are all leaves :-( But, thinking back, the same thing happened with the Chinese wisteria for a few years before it bloomed. There would be big, fat buds where the flowers were supposed to form. I'd watch them daily with my hopes high - and then they'd turn out to be leaves! So obviously it takes the flowering wood a couple of years to 'ripen'. Patience is not my strong suit but I obvously have no choice but wait another year or two... One consolation though is it looks like the Chinese wisteria will be doing another spectacular bloom this year like your Japanese one. I'm impressed with your neatly tree-form wisteria - mine are miuch more 'free form' to put it politely :-)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woody, you know who Ed Lawrence is? (The elder statesman of environmentally-responsible gardening in Canada. He is the author of the best-selling book "Gardening Grief and Glory" and former Chief Horticultural Specialist to six Governors General. Eds career at Rideau Hall spanned a period from Jules Leger in the 1970s to Adrienne Clarkson in 2005. As head gardener, his responsibilities included oversight of the 85 acre historic grounds and greenhouses of Rideau Hall, the homes of the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition and the four other official residences under the authority of the National Capital Commission.)

Anyway, I heard him answering wisteria questions on the radio the other day and he said a wait of TWELVE years is not uncommon for first blooms, and that he shudders when people do root pruning etc to rush things. I had a white wisteria in Toronto that never bloomed before we moved. I wonder if the new people even kept it long enough to find out what the blooms looked like.

Lots of threats of rain here...but fortunately it is sunny and 13C out at the moment. We'll see if I get any gardening accomplished later on.

Seems my computer could NOT be fixed, so everything is on a different old machine which DH will pick up today. I'll have to learn new versions of everything and see what I can recover. (Addresses, photos, etc)

I did receive photos of Ivy yesterday, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to re-size or post anything for a while.

'bug

13 years ago

GB - I think the extra-long waits for wisteria to bloom are for seed grown ones (that are often never pruned!) My Chinese one started blooming in its fifth or sixth year in the garden. It is a grafted plant. The Japanese one I have is 'Lawrence' (no connection to Ed Lawrence :-) 'Lawrence' is supposed to be very hardy and floriferous. It is obviously not a grafted plant (no graft union) so is likely to be a rooted cutting. If the variety is as floriferous as its reputation, the cutting would likely be from a plant that had already flowered, making it likely that the plant I have should flower early. It definitely has the 'flowering wood' stubby growths and had the fat terminal buds in the position that flowerbuds are supposed to appear. Given my experience with the Chinese wisteria, I expect it should flower in the next year or two. I planted it in 2007 so 5 years would be 2012. I knew it was overly optimistic to expect flowers this year, but one can hope...:-)

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

I swore to myself that I would plant a couple things every day after the awfice till everything had a home ! Not the ideal time for planting, but I managed to get a couple in . No complaints about wind here thoughyikes Deanneit must be scary with all those pine trees whipping around. I cant imagine what those type of gusts would do to my delphiniums-all the staking in the world would be pointless Im sure and poor Lancelot Mocha ! What a crappy development after all the training etc. I bought one this year after seeing yours-though I have no plans to train it as a standard I love the color and the texture and shape of the leaves. So sorry about that-

Not sure Id want to deal with trampling cows here- reminds me of T and her marauding Elk.

Lol Saucy, the whole point to me is for the garden to never be finished! Im continually digging up stuff, moving it around or changing the shape of the beds. I guess its just as well that I have a small garden lest I overwhelm myself. I do long for a cool shrub border like Les and Monique though! Anyway, I guess I enjoy the process , and when the results get too mundane I start over .

All for tonight ..waving to all !

Kathy in Napa

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting