Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Happy April flowers

A little less heat and no particular work on schedule allows for a little WALATing... :-)

{{gwi:154836}}

{{gwi:154837}}

{{gwi:154838}}

{{gwi:154839}}

{{gwi:154840}}

{{gwi:154841}}

{{gwi:154842}}

{{gwi:154843}}

{{gwi:154844}}

{{gwi:154845}}

{{gwi:154846}}

{{gwi:154847}}

Comments (17)

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Wow, PM you are several weeks ahead of me, everything looks so springy. What are the seedlings? #1 looks like radishes #2 morning glories #3 ???

Michelle

• drema_dianne
    15 years ago

PM, I really like the daffodils! I wonder if all primroses grow the flower stalk tall, or is it just certain ones? Mine never grow like that.

Thanks!
    Drema

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So then your Pulsatilla really is early. I would have seen it a couple of weeks ago if I had it in my yard then? That really is early. #1 is Bok Choy, one of DH's favorite, #2 are the first sprouts of Four O'Clock 'Broken Colors' which I want a lot of this year. There's a whole packet of seed in that container so I am hoping to see a lot more sprouts. #3 is Viola 'Sorbet'. I just planted Nasturtiums, more Four O'Clocks and Morning Glories this morning. How are your milk jugs coming along?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just missed you Drema and how nice to see you! :-) I think these are called drumstick primrose, maybe? No there are others that are low to the foliage. I love those the best, but these are very colorful, they were early, didn't seem to mind the cold or the last few hot days and the blooms are long lasting so far. I have more that haven't even budded up yet that are similar, so it will be nice to have a sequence of blooms with them. I plan on trying more, they are such a nice early treat.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Is the variegated shrub a weigela? You are certainly ahead of us in the garden but I think we're catching up fast... But my variegated weigela leaf buds are just barely expanding. The one I planted in 2007 in the front bed barely grew at all last year so I'm anxious to see how it does this year.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Great to see spring popping out at your place. The last daf pics look like the ones I got from Tim's lady friend. I love them.
    Things are popping out so fast here, I can hardly keep up with them!:-)

• saucydog
    15 years ago

What a pretty spring you're having, PM!

I love your epimedium. I quick look for mine leaves me thinking it's gone, but I know I'll be adding more!

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woody, would you believe that is a Frosty Morn Sedum? I think this will be the year for your Weigela. :-)

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Great start PM. I have been wanting to try the drumstick primroses. I only have one of the low growing white ones that comes back. It is in a spot where I have to search it out to look at it. I want to move it but am afraid to.
    I am not familar with epimedums. I probably should have some of those.
    I'm off to play in the mud this morning. moving plants, but it is pretty darn chilly out there. Perfect for moving things though.
    N

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

PM, so nice to see glimpses of your spring garden. I've collected a few epimediums too and just love them. Your's is beautiful, such a pretty pink! And I need some drumstick primroses! Thanks for sharing your garden with us and I hope we get to see more of it as garden season progresses.

Eden

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Love that epimedium, PM -- and your fence is interesting too; I dont know that I've seen the half timber fence style that you've got - it's very attractive. Thanks for WALATing and letting us see what's coming alive in your lovely garden!

Cindy

• chelone
    15 years ago

I love Epimedium. One of my good friends calls it, "the perfect plant with the funny name". I have a huge patch of the Rubrum and have to move it later this year. I think it's the most vigorous, what do you think? The white variety I have is nowhere near as robust.

Things are shooting out of the ground here, too. Love the daffs. and your Lupines are looking beautiful, too.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have often raved about the value of Epimediums. I love them because I have 4 Silver Maples and 1 Norway Maple all along my back lot line. It is not easy to grow anything under them, but Epimediums are a piece of cake there. They tolerate shade and dryness which is not easy to do. They are indestructible too. I left one on top of the compost heap, thinking it was dead one year, uncovered, roots up and it came back the next year. Pretty sure my photo is of the Rubrum. It is at least ten years old but has been divided and moved. I must have gotten about 5 plants out of the original and this one is a very good size after only two seasons there. I looked it up and apparently the Rubrum is supposed to grow at a faster rate then other epimediums. Mine is perfect for me. It just keeps getting to be a bigger mound every year but never a problem. I added new varieties last year and I was just looking at them this week and they look to be about the same size as last year and one looks smaller, so you may be right, Chelone.

I really enjoy Darrell Probst's catalog of Epimediums, where he lists the rate of growth for each variety in inches per year. I find that helpful. I hope to be able to order 3 new ones every year for awhile. He has a website with photos, but I had to send away for a paper version that is full of info. Now they send it every year. I think he sometimes sells at Tower Hill.

Looking for IDs on my daffs yesterday, this one was 'Fragrant Rose' but I haven't noticed fragrance. It must be pretty mild. It has not increased by much but I like it. I want to get more pinks and some that are more exotic looking.

Chelone, the yellow daffs are 'Little Gem', new this year and they are only 6 inches tall. [g] Very cute, I like them! I am very happy with the Lupine foliage. Those were winter sown in 2007, so I am eagerly awaiting their first blooms.

Cindy...I think you mean my post and rail fence? I am surprised you don't see those there.

Norma and Eden, I will try to collect seed from the primrose this year and if I can, I will be happy to share.

Thanks for looking! :-)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I wonder if Epimediums are deer proof??? Maybe I will add some to my next shopping list. :-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are supposed to be Marian. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Proof Plant List

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Great pics PM. Spring is looking great at your garden!

Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

PM, my pulsatilla has been blooming for a couple of weeks already. You should try them. I planted my first epimedium last year. I believe it was rubrum. It was the first time I had seen one locally.