Pictures for Norma and everyone else :)

chelone
16 years ago

Here you go, "hot off the presses".

Comments (17)

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went across the street at about 12:30. I think that was about 2 hours after high tide. What you see below is on an ebbing tide. The wind was directly out of the east and it was tough to get pictures.

{{gwi:155070}}

The rocks in the foreground are about 20' above the customary low tide mark. I would say the waves are in the 15-18' range, rolling in off the open ocean, pushed by gale force winds:

{{gwi:155072}}

This picture is looking southeast:

{{gwi:155074}}

Southeast again:

{{gwi:155075}}

This bench has concrete ends. It is now in 3 pcs. having been tossed 10' back from the top of the rocks. There were all sorts of large rocks (2'+) strewn over the juniper/beachrose wild area just back from the rocks.

{{gwi:155076}}

These trees (there are two down) were uprooted and knocked over last night. I had to stand with my feet apart and lean forward to get the shots of the ocean. Mighty stout winds today, ladies. ;)

{{gwi:155077}}

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Drama! I love the fourth shot. The first shots remind me a bit too much of being sea sick on trans-Atlantic ships. The final shot is the saddest for me. A living uprooted tree. I get the same feeling when I see barns allowed to fall to pieces. My heart sinks.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Wowee, those ocean shots really look scary ! Does not look like a good day to take a dip...

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Holy moly Chelone!!!! you are pretty brave going out in that and taking photos! Incredible ocean. The power is mind boggling. Even though I KNOW how amazing it is the raw force of the ocean still takes my breath away. Thanks for doing this for us.

I'm only dealing with lots of downed branches again but there are no new trees down here. I haven't been out and about today so I don't know what the rest of the city is looking like other than a mess.

Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Wow! It looks like you risked being blown away taking those pictures, especially #4. I can almost feel the wind. Stay safe!

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Wow Chelone, what an angry-looking sea. The power of these storms amazes me. I remember last year there were lots of huge rocks on Long Sands from one of these spring storms, and the shape of the beach had changed. DH and BIL claimed that they had never seen so many rocks on that normally sandy beach - they have been going there every summer since they were kids.

The wind howled here all night and most of the morning, but things are quiet now. We have a lot of branches down too, but thankfully no trees.

• ccsuzy
    16 years ago

The pictures are awesome, Chelone. Thanks so much for going out to take them for us. It's amazing what the wind can do to an ocean!

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We lost the cable internet connection shortly after I posted the pictures above. I was mistaken in wave heights; the local station says they were 25', but I think that's too generous. The sun came out for an hour/two, faint sunshine, but definitely sunshine. The cats couldn't wait to go outdoors. :)

Here are some more shots:

{{gwi:155078}}

{{gwi:155079}}

{{gwi:155080}}

These are cool shots; you can see why the tree toppled. Look carefully at the flattened area; this indicates the tree was growing over the ledge. It was unable to securely anchor itself and the pooled water shows how saturated the newly thawed spring ground is!

{{gwi:155082}}

{{gwi:155084}}

The rocks were really slippery. Here's a shot of a rejuvenated tidal pool that will evaporate within days... and probably won't receive seawater for many, many months... only rainwater.

{{gwi:155085}}

• chelone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathy, one of my very, very favorite albums (yes, I have it on vinyl!) is "Carmel" by Joe Sample (of the Crusaders). The cover of that album features the same frothy, roiling water that you see above.

Wendy, Long Sands and Short Sands were closed today, as was a portion of my road. I spoke with a neighbor who lives 100yds. south and his power is out. Apparently, his power comes from the south, and there are lines down. I did see the bucket trucks heading south earlier.

So much from the coast, kids.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Thanks for the shots, Chelone. I know how the howling wind alone bothers me; I can't imagine being in that house and hearing the roaring surf on top of the wind! Quite a storm.

V.

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Amazing photos Chelone! The power of the sea-impressive!

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Wow...*Fantastic* shots Chelone! I can't believe those trees!!! The sea does look scary, but I have to admit...to me...*very exciting* too! I think Bug hit it on the head...*drama*...I *do* love *that* kind of drama. Although, I don't know if I would like it that close to my house! :-) I *love* storms, but would want to know there was a safe port. :-) You *are* very brave...Thanks for sharing...
    Ei

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Whoa!! Chelone. Thats pretty awesome. I know it was wreaking havoc for people, but thank you for braving the weather and sharing with us. I hadn't checked in for a couple of days so am late responding. Had to look at these before reading the other thread. Will go there now and catch up on the news. Thanks again. Norma

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Wow Chelone, I just got around to looking at these incredible shots. The ocean is awesome, isn't it?

Sue

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Chelone, those shots are just awesome! I'm sorry you had to experience it up close and personal though. The tree damage is a real shame.

Jerri

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Incredible, Chelone! & you were quite brave to risk taking these shots! I love the ocean -- if given the choice between mountains or sea, I would always choose the sea -- but you have to RESPECT it, dont ya? Wow!! You're fortunate to live so close, but it can be daunting too. Thanks for sharing these.

Cindy

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Such wonderful pics of the angry ocean ! Thanks Chelone for braving the weather to get those. I still dream of visiting the oceans and the gulf, but realize it may never happen. ( I have seen the Oregon coast a couple of times, but for not nearly long enough.)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists