Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marian_2

April 2007-Death and Ressurectiom

Marian_2
17 years ago

I am posting pics of the Artic blast's damage and the joys of a return to life.

The Japanese Viburnum in the old garden spot....it was in full bloom when hit:

{{gwi:155205}}
The larger one by the woodshed is almost as bad.

Most of the daylilies still look like this:

{{gwi:155206}}

My largest prettiest variegated Hosta still looks like this:

{{gwi:155207}}
The red Azalea:

{{gwi:155208}}

Most of the sedum ended up like these, there is one on each side of the locust tree root:

{{gwi:155210}}

I had cut back the large blue Nikko Hydrangea to live growth...this is all that remains, but lo and behold ! there is a new shoot!

{{gwi:155211}}

Now for the good news... although the Gingko is baren looking, the flowerbed is filling in nicely:

{{gwi:155212}}

These Hosta have resprouted:

{{gwi:155213}}

The Henry Clematis is shooting forth new growth:

{{gwi:155214}}

Astilbes are resprouting after being killed to the ground:

{{gwi:155215}}

One of my biggest joys is the growth on the large blue Hosta :

{{gwi:155216}}

Although most of the sedum spectibilis were turned to mush, a few were almost unscathed,( see the upper one), and this lower one is returning !

{{gwi:155217}}

I am sure the rest of the sedum will resprout also. along with most other plants.

Comments (7)

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops! That should be " Resurrection ", with one s, 2 r's and an 'n' !

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Marian, looks like you got hit as bad as I did. But your regrowth is further along than mine. The voles wiped out a lot of my plants also. Norma

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Norma, I was hoping your plants weren't out yet when the freeze went through. We have vole problems too, but our cats help a lot to cut down on the population.
    Did you have an ice storm too ? We escaped having one, and no heavy snows.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Marian,
    I lost many a plant this winter, but they were mostly things that I know are vulnerable and so I try to protect them. Our winter temps here were not normal so many things passed on. Enjoyed your photos. It looks like you will prevail !

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Kathy, yes, it is the vulnerable plants that I am most concerned about. The 'exotic' ones ....the Ginkgo, the Metasequoia ( Dawn Redwood), and the Maackii amur are all too large to protect, and I doubt if I would be around to enjoy any replacements.Shrubs and perennials are easily replaced, and don't take years to give a good showing.

So far all of the following wood's trees have no sign of renewal: Oaks, Hickories, Ash, Persimmons, Hackberry,our large Sweet Gum,and the Black Gum. Also our non wood's trees: Liriodendron, Chinese Chestnuts,Birch, Golden Raintree,English Walnut and Pecan, and the above 3 that I mentioned. They should all be in leaf at this time of year, here. I believe most of them will eventually recover, but it sure looks sad now. I suspect this may be boring reading for some, but I will continue to update the progress for all who are interested. I find it very interesting, and something that I have never experienced before. Spring frosts are common here, but not hard freezes that zap hardy tree leaves !

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Oh Marian...that's just awful; especially as you say, to see the hit the trees and shrubs took! :-( Do most of the trees and shrubs look like they may leaf out yet? How spirit lifting to see the new little leaf sprouts on your hydrangea! :-)

Most of my daylilies look very similar to yours...with the faded grey mushy look to the leaves. But at least daylilies and sedums are resillient types; right? I haven't decided if I should leave the leaves that are on the daylilies now or when it gets a tad warmer, to cut them off and let new leaves sprout. I kind of want to wait and see what becomes of the leaves that are out now.

We had a delicious rain yesterday and looks like we will have another today and I'm glad of it...my garden really needed the moisture.

Don't feel to bad about the misspelling in the title Marian. Why, I didn't even catch it until you mentioned it!

Hope today brings you many more nice surprises in the garden and lots of new resurrections! :-)

P.S. I think I may have gotten lucky with my clematis...no leaves were sprouting at the time of the frosts and the buds don't appear to be harmed. Glad to see your clematis are "fighting the good fight." :-)

Ei

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ei, were your trees and shrubs damaged? I hope they had not broken dormancy yet.
    I am like you with the daylilies, but I just may leave them and let the new grow up through them.
    I went out after my last post, and discovered that the Sweet Gum is leafing out again. I think the rains that we are having will help restore things. It is just misting this morning, but that is good too. We have got about 2 inches in the past 2-3 days.