14 years ago

Carry on, friends!

I'm still grinning....

Saucy

Comments (100)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I will not gross anyone out whith the chipmunk pics, but here are a couple that I think you will enjoy:

The first is four of the catfish. It was very hard to get a good pic. They move around too fast, and my silly camera takes too long between pics. :-(

{{gwi:155301}}

The next is 'Myrtle' the turtle.

{{gwi:155303}}

It was not very cooperative either. :-)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Sneaky Awfice Post:

Yo, Mary . where the heck are the pics of the henhouse and Betty, damm*t !!?????!

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Anyone else having log-in issues? I've had to log in every time I've wanted to read this afternoon. I miss Spike!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Thought I'd come visit. No log in issues here, just NOTHING to say! :(

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

No log in issues for me today either. Supper is in the oven so I have a minute, but looks like I have nothing much to say either...lol. Made minor progress in the garden today. Another clematis planted and all the cool weather crops planted in the veggie garden, compost added to the asparagus. That's it. So I take it Gardenbug, that you are just waiting at this point? Sarah's due date is coming up on Sunday, yes? I hope she is feeling well, though difficult to imagine the last few weeks of pregnancy could be. I hope the snow has stopped at least. When does it warm up around there? Oh, I did have something to ask you, Does DD and DSIL know a singer called, Tyler Hamilton who is from their neck of the woods? I saw him on a David Foster special on PBS.

Ok...that's all I got. :-)

pm2

• chelone
    14 years ago

Well, things seemed to have resolved themselves. I'm no longer being inundated by advertisements for crap I'd never buy and logging in seems to "stick". It wasn't before.

Well 'bug, I'm indeed sorry you have nothing to say or report from the great White North. I hope they have the equivilent of a giant tea cozy for the hot tub! And I'm quite sure DD and DSIL are more than ready for the big event and can't wait to meet Surprise face to face... finally! How's Skyler holding up?

Mary, I can't wait to see the chicken coop and the run. Nice goin' on the salavaged items! don't you just love it when a plan comes together. Now, how long will Red Betty supply you with eggs until it's time for her to keep her date with the stew pot? The chicks are going to be just too cute for words. Please show us pictures of them! Did you know that for many years brown eggs were only really common in New England? When I was a kid I was amazed to learn that eggs actually came with white shells, too. We had some fresh eggs the other week that had lovely tourquoise-y/blue shells. Lovely! Boston is a lovely city. It was great growing up outside it and later, going to college there. The oldest public park in the country is there, too; the Boston Common. If memory serves me correctly the law that permitted public grazing is still on the books.

Wow, Marian... don't get too close to that pond, those catfish look like they'd gobble you right up if they were able. How big are they? In New England they call catfish "Hornpouts". And yeah, they wouldn't win any beauty contests. But Myrtle would. ;)

Back to seasonable temperatures today. I didn't feel like getting too dirty so I baked a cake instead. "Delicate Chocolate Cake" with orange frosting. It was a nightmare... the oven is really failing fast and I have my doubts about how well it's going to turn out for a lot of effort. I sure hope my selection of the new RANGE is going to make the next baking escapade more enjoyable! It took longer than 35 minutes to bake the cakes thoroughly, I suspect the temperature is very uneven. And I have doubts that it won't be dry on the outer edges. But I'm sure it will be eaten nonetheless. ;)

I don't know about Epimedium under the Magnolia, PM. I love the plant, but it has nearly choked the life out of the Rhodo. that it presently carpets and so I'm naturally leery of it in that capacity. I have tons of Asarum europaeum (I can't kill it and it grows like topsy here) but again, I'm not so sure. Ajuga reptans came to mind, too (I love the flowers) but I'm not sure I want it escaping into the lawn area... so I don't know. I also have a ton of Galium odoratum to "rehome", too. The Magnolia develops large leaves and will cast some decent shade so whatever I plant is going to have be able to deal with that and I'm not sure how deeply rooted the shrub is and therefore how dry the area will be. I suppose mulch will buy me some time to decide, huh?

OK, time to see what's on the docket for dinner (which is late because it's really busy where the chef works). I know what's for dessert!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

This afternoon we bought some flower seeds and a hanging basket. DD & I split up an 'antique' spider plant and potted it up in two pots. They are no doubt in shock from being watered and given new soil. Got some potato starts and also sunflower, lettuce, beet and zucchini seeds. Lots of tiny annuals to be bought there too, which would be fun if I were at home. (Things like lablab vines.) Yesterday we bought baby a "Sophie the giraffe" and a new outfit for when s/he is older.

The hot tub has insulation and thermometer etc. The required temperature is 100 degrees F and that is easy to maintain. The amount of chlorine is the tricky part. The weather should be fantastic this coming week too.

Waiting is tough on DD who is always in control of things...and now can't be. DSIL is antsy and eager to meet his baby too. Skyler is always excitable, but this time he is excited about a weekend with his Mom at the Edmonton Mall where there is lots of water play etc. Tomorrow is his Mom's birthday, so some of us are eager for a May baby to avoid awkwardness. It doesn't really matter though.

Good to see news from Drema, Mary and the turtles of the Ozarks too! Love the spring garden at Cindy's, Kathy's clematis too. (Saw quite a few nice clematis for sale here too, but I'm not about to carry them home on a plane!)

Time to check up on the roast chicken and vegetables now.

Ciao!
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Chelone...I think you are right. I forgot how thickly matted their roots get. Well, I was originally going to ask, why not just mulch under it to give the roots no competition? Isn't it fairly low to the ground? I have a Japanese Maple that I added Viola Labradorica under and I really like the way that is working out. I doubt it gives much competition at all. The foliage is a nice color and briefly you get very pretty bloom. Add some crocus or galanthus maybe.

Marian... Myrtle has nice spots on her head.

Mary...sure sounds busy at your house and a nice fun busy too. :-)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Marian, those catfish are huge.

Mary, good to have you back. Can't wait to meet Red Betty and see the coop you built.

I'm really tuckered out tonight. Planted some veggies and moved two clems this morning and weeded all afternoon.
    It's raining again now and supposed to off and on the next two days. I don't care if it rains tromorrow because I need to grocery shop and will be meeting up with my guitar buddies to play a little music. I hope I will be able to play, all this weeding has my fingers stiff. I think I better put some flexall on them before I go to bed.

Hi Bug, A couple of my kids were two weeks late so I know how Sarah is feeling I think. At least you are having some quality time together.

To tired to think , so goodnight all. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Checking in here between WALAT and baseball it has surely been cool the last few days. We had frost on the rooftops this morning, but the tender annuals were untouched. Tomorrow is my Friday , and on the real Friday I will journey to the Ruth Bancroft Garden in Walnut Creek , if the predicted rain is called off. If not, another day will be selected. I will be ordering myself a new birdbath for my front garden tomorrow , via the employee discount. It will be a few weeks before I get it , but Ive been looking for one for a year and finally found one liked.

Just a few comments before I hit the baseball chair- PM , I bet that Sedum will look better in a few weeks, the one I planted in the ground vanished over the winter but is now putting on some nice growth. I always put snapdragons in full sun. Here we plant them in fall since they are considered cool season annuals. They kind of hang out over winter and really start to shoot up when the soil starts to warm. Our wet winters of course lead to the rust issues. I pulled out all the Sonnets I planted this fall before they even bloomed, they were just covered with rust. I wont plant that variety again.

Marian, Myrtle is quite lovely ! Do you know where she hibernates ?

All for me tonightwaves to all

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I am happy to report that my patience as a baker has paid off. I was freaked out that the cakes required 43 minutes to bake (9"ers), instead of the recommended 35! I kept an eagle eye on them and when they passed the spring back test and the cake tester insertion out they came. I frosted it and had it under the dome and everything cleaned up before the helpmeet returned home. My casual mention of "dessert" was greeted with delight... cake is moist and very good, orange buttercream was well received, as well. May 9th. is the big day.

I looked at birdbaths the other day, Kathy! the helpmeet has a blue one in Vegetable World and I saw one that was quite tall and very large (4'H w/about a 3'D) and had a strongly classical element to it. It really struck my fancy, but since I didn't have a place in mind for it, I kept walking. But I keep thinking about it...

Norma, how fun that you get together with friends to "jam", bet you guys have a blast. I need to get some of the more menial garden chores tended to, as well. Must feel good to have it all tidied up. Do Rebel and Jasmine help you out a lot while you're crawling around on the ground? (our's do).

After the baking session I took that fool dog outside and played "ball". My favorite! then we went on a forced march to practice our "good boy manners". It's always gratifying to drag him around by his neck. ;) When we returned home we WALATed for some time and I discovered a cache of "rescue" ferns that had been plucked from the path of destruction when the bahn was built. They've been happily makin' a living in the leaf mulch area for about 2 yrs. now! So today I think I'll move the brush from the tree removal and begin plunking them into that shadey, very moist corner of what used to be lawn. It will extend the present fern dell (Osmunda cinnamomea) and that area doesn't want to be lawn anyway if the moss growth is any indication. I also have several Osmunda claytoniana ("Interrupted ferns") to interr over in the drier, bahn area and there are also a few Osmunda regalis (Royal ferns) in that stash! I will feel particularly gratified if I get those little "messes" cleaned up; nothing says spring and summer to me more than the stands of ferns. They really are some of my favorite plants here on the Compound.

I'll bet managing the chlorine level is a bit tricky. Poor little Surprise surely doesn't need to be "sanitized for his protection" so soon. What a dreadful way that would be to be introduced to the beauty of our world... . Enjoy this time with your family, 'bug. It's been a long hard haul and you're deserving of the joy this special time holds. I'll bet there are times when it feels as though time is standing still and certain feelings and moments are frozen in time.

I wonder if Kate is walking or babbling yet? ;)

Time to salley forthe, I fear. Waving!

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

A view of the dogwoods in the woods
    {{gwi:155305}}
    The Japanese Maple has finally recovered from the two years ago freeze damage
    {{gwi:155307}}
    Clematis unknown and dogwood
    {{gwi:155308}}
    This little angel always makes me smile
    {{gwi:155309}}
    Clematis Elsa Spath
    {{gwi:155310}}
    Primrose
    {{gwi:155312}}

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Norma - especially the dogwood in the woods! I'm anxiously awaiting my first dogwood flowers....

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Oh wow! Norma, your dogwoods are so 'thick' from your deck view! And your red japanese maple is wonderful! Mine was frozen down to the ground, but has a swarm of sprouts coming up. They are about 3' tall now.
    Your clems are beautiful. Mine have large buds, but no open blooms yet...why are you so far ahead of me???
    Your angels is cute. I have no garden ornaments, except natural things...like rocks. :-)
    And I love the primrose. That is another plant I have not tried.
    All of your pics are excellent!

Okay, back to the continuing saga of the mice and the peas. I brought the three planters into the utilityroom yesterday, and replanted all tha blank spaces. This morning all the newly sown peas have been removed!!!
    This has become a battle of the wits (perhaps one of 'us' is a nitwit' ?). Anyways....I still had plenty of seeds, and have replanted AGAIN and set the three boxes on top of my old Toyota! I suspect the mice can no loneger get to them, but now it will probably be the crows!
    Actually, I am beginning to be amused, except I hate the thought that the mice/mouse is inside the house also! I have seen no traces of it other than the dug up peas.

Chelone, there would be no danger from the catfish if I fell into the pond. I would be more concerned about the snapping turtles, and the fact that I cannot swim!
    They are very big and ugly. I do not know how much the biggest weigh. We have never fished for them ( we are both too 'lazy' to attempt dressing one out.) We do allow friends to fish for them, but so far the only 'takers' we have had is our GDs and a friend and his grandson from Florida. The 12 year old GS caught one, weighed it, and threw it back. I do not remember how much it weighed, but they were quite proud of it, and took pics to share with folks in Florida.
    Anyway, my hand would fit into the mouth of the largest ones.
    The hollow place where I took the pics is where they have been fed so often that it is getting deeper and deeper into the bank. It has even underdug the bank! I am not happy that Nolon has encouraged that!

As for the turtle, I am not sure it is a 'Myrtle', it may be a 'Burt'?? And I have no idea where it hibernates, or if is the same one every year, but I imagine it is.
    Yesterday when I walked up to the end of our driveway with Tommy, There was another box turtle coming across the county road . It was headed to the ditch that had a small stream of water in it. As soon as Tommy saw it, he sat down at a respectable distance and watched it. :-)

Chelone, I am glad your cake turned out okay. I wish I had a slice of it...yum! And on the subject of cook stoves....I sm shocked at the price of yours. Mine that I ended up with 2-3 years ago, was only over $400. It is electric with no bells and whistle, but the ones I started out purchasing 'had' bells and whistles, and cost very little more!
    The first one I payed for, but never got, was from Home Depot, the second one was from the locally owned appliance store.
    The one I ended up with is a Whirlpool.
    Frankly, I consider it a piece of junk, but after returning the first, I was ashamed to return it...besides there would have been an additional charge. Ranges are just not made like they used to be, as is nothing else!

I am trying to remember how I knew when to go for the births of each of my GDs. I was never there any more than a day before the delivery. With the second and third I acted more as the baby sitter for the others while she was in the hospital. Of course, I was at the hospital when they arrived each time. I returned home as soon as she, and the baby, returned home.

Marian

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

as usual, gotta wait til tonite for the photo venture from Norma - Im looking forward to it...

Grey/showery day -- complain, complain.... just like Goldilocks; weather's seldom perfect.

Chelone -- re your Magnolia and groundcovers -- I was researching possibility of planting one a couple years ago and one thing that I recall is that most books/factoids say they have extremely shallow root systems and it's very hard to really plant things beneath them - that was one factor among a few others that made me decide not to plant one in the middle of my front bed as I really wanted to have other things too. So you may want to do a little reading on that. I frankly cant recall seeing any photos of magnolias w/ plants under them...

Im feeling optimistic today as we got good report from the new vet that Chloe's bloodwork came back much improved and showed that the treatment and new diet seems to be working and she's digesting her food, among other things. So I will hope we continue on this course; I do hope we can get her off the steroids/antibiotics as soon as possible but I cant complain about them right now if they're doing what they need to do....Yeeha for the present.

PM, I think you asked about my Clem Etoile Violette? It is a very strong grower for me; I whacked it back to the first bud sets/ about 10-12 inches and it's already over 5 to 6 feet tall - it will likely start to bloom within the next month and keeps going til October.

Here it is last year, late May I think (not a terribly attractive photo) but you get the idea -- it's already into the Chamaecyparis Blvd. in this shot - by summer end it was more than 15 feet I think.

{{gwi:155313}}

Here's a better shot of it in the background - you'll see how it runs along the fence (this was 2007):

{{gwi:155314}}

Looking forward to pics from Mary w/ her new pets and residences!

--cindy

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am beat - but it's a good tired! I have been shopping up a storm with my neighbor. She's going to sell retail this year, and she's hosting the plant sale where I'm going to sell my concrete garden art - so we have been gathering plants from every wholesaler in the state. Tomorrow she goes out to western MA, but has another passenger, so I'm off the hook with her, but on the hook making more garden art!

Norma, that's what I remember the woods looking like in TN! Gorgeous garden shots!

Cindy, I bought two clematis today: Jack Rubra and Polish Spirit. Yours is a beauty!

Marian, my dad used to scare me with tales of catfish as big as Volkswagon's....he'd tell me that's how big they were at the bottom of "my" lake. Have you seen the Dirty Jobs episode where they catch catfish with their fists? YUCK!

I ran over a baby turtle the other day. I was informed by Sarah.

I'm just so tired. I'm going to go lay down a bit before Sarah gets home and then I have to run to the grocery. I hope to pop in sooner rather than later.

Saucy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I had not ventured around the soggy yard, when I last posted and told Norma that I had no clems blooming. I was mistaken, there are 2 open, and an iris!

{{gwi:155315}}

{{gwi:155316}}

It has rained off and on all day, but nothing heavy. I did get the 3 boxes replanted with peas, And they are on top of the Toyota Corolla station wagon now. LOL

14 years ago

Beautiful clematis Cindy! I've somehow never got around to finding a place for that one although gb has recommended it several times. I need to think of somewhere to put it... Do you know the name of the two that are flowering for you Marian?

It was a productive day in the garden here today - The new bed sod is now all removed so the bed's ready for the next stage. This weekend Randy has to help me remove some of the metal edge from the current beds that are at either end of the new bed. Barb's daughter, Laurie, is working out great so far! (Oh to have the energy and strength of a twenty-something again.... :- )

Laurie is very observant too - she was sitting on the loveseat in the office this morning, looking out the window and poited out that there's a new resident on the property:
    {{gwi:155317}}
    A closer view...:
    {{gwi:155318}}

Barb and I were ripping down clematis off that fence on Monday - either we narrowly avoided ripping down the nest too or it was built since Monday! I told Laurie about the robin that kept watch while we dug the rose bed a few years ago, and how it collected all the white grubs we dug out. So this morning Laurie collected all the white grubs we came across, put them on a plastic lid and left it on the fence at lunch. By the time we went back out after lunch, the grubs were gone....

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Woody, the clem on the left is Carnaby. The one on the right is Proteus. I like Carnaby the best of the two.
    Great pic of Mrs. Robin. How nice that your new help is working out so good, and observant also. :-)

Marian

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Woody, just what we need around here. Another expectant mother waiting for her babies :) You do know you're going to have to give us updates until the babies hatch now don't you?

Eden

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

LOL Eden!

Look at all the great spring photos!

Norma, that first photo of your porch with the hammock looks so inviting! Perfect place to read a book. With all the dogwoods in a wooded setting like that, it looks very dreamlike. Your Japanese Maple looks so full and healthy, hard to believe it was ever damaged. Did you have to prune it hard? Very sweet looking angel and huge hosta and fern in the background look so healthy. Nice dark soil too. I am curious about the trellis I see in the photo of your Japanese Maple, does it have butterflies on it? Did someone make that for you? .... How was the guitar get together?

Everyone has some beautiful clematis! Cindy, why would you say that is not an attractive photo? I love the way you have grown yours into the shrubbery and the dark color with your Hydrangea is a very attractive pairing. Norma, that is one huge Clematis bloom! Marian, I like your striped one. Look forward to more Clematis photos. That is so neat that they bloom so early. I like that you can get one that blooms at all different times.

Marian, you are persistent...lol. I will be surprised if those peas are not gone tomorrow morning again. [g]

Woody...now that is a very cheerful sight to see a Robin nesting out in the open like that! Is there any overhead protection there? Really neat! Very happy to hear that you have a new garden helper to keep your spring schedule on track, too. :-)

I am always looking at birdbaths too, Kathy. Even when they are on sale, I seem to balk at the price. Besides, since my garden isn't finished and doesn't look as good as I want it, a very pretty bird bath just looks out of place...One of these years, I am going to ask for a nice expensive one for Mother's Day. I think I would like a nice large one. We have group bathing out there...lol. ....Frost, Kathy? Tomorrow is your garden trip, have a great time!! Take lots of pics! BTW, did you tell me the variety of that wonderful apricot snapdragon?

Chelone, I don't have an area for a large stand of ferns, but I do enjoy them. I seem to pick up a few every year. I have a fairly dry garden, so I am sticking to Japanese Painted ferns for the time being, which I stick in here and there. I had sensitive ferns, but I have to avoid ferns that spread too much. You're very lucky to have such a large property and it sounds like you have some native habitat there.

Saucy, when is the plant sale? Is it just her own sale, not a town wide sale? Is this the first time you are selling your tufa pieces?

Nothing to report here today at all. Taking some time off from the garden with rain due off and on for a few days. The Viburnum carlesii's just opened, and I wonder if the rain will have the blossoms on the ground by the end of the weekend. Happy to finally get some much needed rain.

Friday tomorrow, I wonder if Sue will be here?

pm2

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Sarah & family are out playing baseball after our yummy shrimp Thai dinner made by DSIL. The diet is pretty much out the window for now PM! I have a book I am reading as well as forums to check. ;)

Not much except sedum poking up in the gardens, but a small mock orange is budding up. I just love Norma's woods! I could easily finish my book in your hammock!!! This afternoon I pruned back 2 clematis for DD and even planted a small old package of crocuses!

Skyler wrote a story for homework...about a cowboy named Sky who rode a two headed bull at the Calgary Stampede. I hope his teacher is big on imaginative work and imperfect spelling. My son's teacher criticized his imaginative efforts which I believe was a mistake. He refused to write a single word for YEARS afterwards.

Tomorrow DH and I leave for a few days in Jasper. Do you think that will help baby decide to come? Poor DSIL is agitated because he hates to go to work, is missing out on plans and work for the Reed Stage up north and tree planting there, and wants to be withing 10 minutes of DD...

Supposed to be warmer with each passing day! YES!

'bug

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Marian, those were my first clems open too, I almost didn't see them. I love the surprises. I think I bought Carnaby once. Guess it didn't make it.

Cindy, Thanks for posting Etoile Violette. I just bought that one in one of those little boxes. It is growing. Can't wait till it puts on a show like yours. I have read that you shouldn't let them grow away on a single stem. Any one know if I should clip it right away or let it go for awhile? GB do you know?

Woody, nice shot of the robin. What a nice surprise.

Saucy, you are just having to much fun. No wonder you are tired.

Well I was interupted with a phone call and I can't do two things at once so Ill just try to post this. Norma

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Pm, We did have to prune the smaller limb tips back about 20 inches. Those are butterflies on the trellis. It was just a standard trellis that I had DH attach to two 2x2s to make it taller.

Maybe Surprise is shy and wants to be born while everybody is busy elsewhere. LOL

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Chelone, Rebel usually finds a cool spot to lie down nearby when I work in the garden. He is so funny though. If he senses rain coming he comes and roust me out, as if to say its time to quit.

The jam session was fun, but I was definitely rusty from lack of practice lately.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

4 day weekend is launched here, but it looks like I will be dodging rain most of the time. I will likely have to postpone my trip to the Bancroft Garden unless things clear up for Monday. It should be nice for gardening though , off and on , and all the new plantings will enjoy the rain, hopefully enough to actually do some good.

How fun to see such lovely photos from Norma ! Dogwoods are marginal here , the dry heat and the lack of summer rain I think stresses them quite a bit. They do well as understory trees in our coastal forests, growing under firs and redwoods. What a pretty sight off that deck.

Marian, I sure hope Nolan isnt sneaking out at night and plucking the peas! What if you were to put something solid over them a night, a cut-off milk jug or something? A conversation with Tommie and Trubbie might be in order too.

PM, all the snapdragons are Bella mix,(Ive seen them referred to a LaBella as well) bought in 6 paks, but know they are available in seed form too. They are the azalea flowered type no snapping' function, Ill take some pics of the different colors and post them this weekend.

Cindy looks like Im going to add Etloile V. to my gotta have it list, along with Arabella. Maybe we need a 2009 photo of the same view ?

Saucy, you are getting to be quite the entrepreneur ! Perhaps we will get line cards and a power point presentation of Saucy Inc at IU6, lol.

Woody, how exposed that bird seems , and yet she bravely continues to sit on her nest. Im in agreement with Eden, I hope you will keep us informed of the progress.
    Time for me to have some dinner and watch some baseballsee yall tomorrow!

Kathy in Napa

Eden {{gwi:155319}}From Garden 2009

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Norma, I'd prune it back now to encourage root growth and multiple stems. Etoile Violette is a very dense bloomer and loved by many for that reason.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Norma, the dogwoods in your woods are just breathtaking! you really do have a lovely property. I love that the "wild" is such a big part of your whole garden plan. I try to do the same thing, here. Only I have the ground "canopy" of ferns and little wild flowers, no flowering trees to rival your dogwoods.

I have Etoile Violette and Polish Spirit here. I've been very bad about fertilizing them over the years (still haven't done it this year) but they're still hangin' on. I just love that dark color against the grey of the house. Cindy, your's is just beautiful rambling over the adjacent plants... like a purple studded veil!

I like the idea of a power point presentation from Saucy. Mostly though I just love the enthusiastic way you go about the business of life. :) I can't wait to see more pictures of your cement creations. You ought to be a real ball of fire today with a solid night's rest.

Woody, Mrs. Robin is just darling on her nest. Look at her all hunkered down protectively brooding her clutch. Lucky you to be able to keep an eye on her progress... AND no hot tub to monitor or bottles to administer! I do, however, think you'd better get the rest of your lawn turned over to keep her well supplied with grubs (loved that story). I'm glad to hear things are working out nicely with Barb's daughter. It must take a weight off your shoulders.

There have been several articles on rooftop gardening in the NY Times and several other publications that have ended up next to the toilet over the past few months. I've read several with great interest. However, Marian, I've yet to come across gardening on the roof a Toyota Corolla. I've gotta hand it to you, you are inventive and well possessed of a certain "never say die" spirit that is downright inspirational. ;) Speaking of catfish, I once saw a TV thing on a southern phenomenon called "noodling", I think. It's when those wack jobs decide to go hunting for them with their bare hands. I suppose you pour enough moonshine into a group of bubbas and that's what you get. Power to 'em, I say! (ever tried that on Nolon?).

It's barely getting light (5 AM) and I've just heard the birds start up for the day. Not sure, but I think there may be some rain today.

I failed miserably in my attempt to purchase new "foundation garments" yesterday. I figured I'd try Kohl's (to use the coupons I received when I bought the KA) and struck out totally. I found the size selection not very good unless you have "major league yabos" and gave up after 45 minutes. I'll go to the lingerie store next and fork over major pork but waste no more time on a fruitless search that prove irritating. ;) I have to do something very soon... or quit wearing one since they no longer do what they're supposed to do very effectively.

It was chilly yesterday, very stout breeze that had me running back inside in search of polar fleece. It was a big afternoon out in the yard. I'm working my way around Sanitary Ridge now and cleaned up 2 Echinops and began thinning another "Annabelle" hydrangea which is huge. The cats were milling around and Rex was alternately guarding me or trying to incite a game of "ball". I saw him take off toward the driveway and saw him pounce on a big, fat vole who's been the scourge of that particular area. I called him off with, "leave it!" and he did!! then I came to my senses and said, "OK!", allowing him to have his way with it. Mr. Voley ran in frantic circles and tried to get back under the Juniper but the Jaws of Death were too quick. He was flipped into the air several times and then was carried off to Vegetable World where he was likely eaten. I was OK with it, one more problem solved and Rex had a good time. Not 20 minutes later Polly had a fat Chippie that escaped her grasp only to attract Rex's attention. "Out of the frying pan and into the fire"... another problem solved, but he didn't get to eat that one. ;) Yup, friends, everyone on the Compound has a job... everyone works.

I'm going to have get the lawn mower out in a week, I think. It's very green here.

Cindy, thanks for the thoughts on the Magnolia. The M. stellata has some grass and moss under it, right up to the trunk, and there is some Lamium under there, too. I'll ask around and do some reading and go from there. Mulch can be a very good friend, can't it?

Time to think about the trip to Chaos, I think. I'm glad it's the end of the week. I'm looking forward to more dead vegetative splinters, dirty fingernails, and misplaced pruners. And lots of quiet time to think and commune with the resident animals. May your day be a pleasant one, too.

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PM, I'm going to send you an email with the details, because I'm not sure how much I should advertise here.

The robin is very sweet, and timely to this Idyll as Eden pointed out!

Yes, Chelone, "noodling" was what I was describing. Yuck!

Kathy, I'd be happy to give you a tour of the Corporate Headquarters and the Manufacturing Plant. Sadly, we still only have one employee, so I am the CEO and Head Messmaker as well as taking on all janitorial duties.

I nailed down the garden installation job, too, to be installed asap. I don't know when I'm going to find time to fit it all in, but I know it will work itself out whether I worry about it or not. She went for the bigger "showier" perennial garden, and I couldn't be happier.

GB, have fun in Jasper! How fun to hide garden surprises that will be enjoyed later.

I walated for the first time in a week, and I found some nice surprises:

My yellow Magnolia (or Mongolian Tree, as Jake callled it when we planted it 5 years ago) bloomed for the first time. The scent is heavenly (I can smell it at my front door - 20 feet away!):
    {{gwi:155320}}

and I need an id on this one, I've never seen it before:
    {{gwi:155321}}

{{gwi:155322}}

Have a great day, all!

Saucy

14 years ago

Saucy - it's Fritillaria (see link) It sounds like you've got a new business on your hands with the garden installation and the garden ornament castings!

Mrs. Robin is still on her nest this morning. I conclude that the nest must have been built in the tangle of 'Paul Farges' clematis vines and escaped being torn down along with the vines on Monday. I'm conderned with how the nest and contents will survive - the fence is a major squirrel highway once the vines are down. Mrs Robin will be very worried about leaving the nest to find food. I'm not sure we're up to providing a regular grub and worm food supply but will try to provide regular snack at least :-) I will take pictures if she remains on the nest and the eggs hatch.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Saucy, it is a Fritillaria, probably F. Poseidon.I am pretty sure there is a common name, but I cannot think of it right now.....

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Saucy - That's a Fritillaria meleagris or Snake's Head Fritillary, one of my favorite spring bulbs. I just love the checker pattern. I also have some cream ones. Good luck selling the Tufas.

What lovely spring pictures we have, both flora and fauna. Marian - the cat fish is really cool - soemthing Annie and David would love to see!

My camera is on the fritz so I will have to wait for DH to return before taking pictures of Red Betty, henhouse and baby chicks. Betty seems nicely settled into her new digs and the children have prounounced the babies the prettiest thing we've ever had in the house. They are so tiny and delicate and don't seem to mind being held.

Talk of roast chicken or drumsticks is suddenly making me a little uneasy and I wonder if we are not slipping down the path to becoming vegetarian. Better for the environment I'm sure, but less so for the taste buds.

David's play went beautifully last night and it was such a fun evening of singing and dancing. David managed the fight scene very well though when he fell to the floor as part of his role it was all I could do not to jump up and help him. In the chase scene he hopped on his good leg across the stage to much applause. I heard one of David's friends telling their music teacher after it was the most fun thing he had done in his life! The director had all the kids take their bow at the end alphabetically, rather than in order of importance of role. He told the audience this was a real team effort, and wanted the acknowledge them as a whole. A different but very egalitarian approach to the curtain call.

We celebrated after with neighbors with ice cream, and David then had to spend an hour doing homework - how mean is that to set work the night of a production? I could get going on the whole hoemwork thing but time is too short to drag out my soapbox.

Swine flu continues to be something of a worry here. A boy in David's class had spent last week in Mexico and was sent home yesterday with fever and cough. I'm not one to be alarmist, but with all the sickness we've had this year I really hope we can duck this one.

Have a good Friday everyone. The end of the week never seems complete without Sue's TGIF so I have fingers crossed today's will appear

Mary.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Both Woody and Mary beat me too it!
    I had found a link on a Fritillaria like Saucy posted, and I will still post it...

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    14 years ago

TGIF!

Just checking to see if Marie and family have welcomed the new addition yet...guess not.

Love all the pictures! Cindy and Norma, you've been holding out on us. Most of the pictures I've taken this year have come out horrible. Last night I tried to get a picture of my yellow Magnolia 'Sunspire' and it was a no-go. Too sparse or maybe just a lousy photographer...lol.

I thought the robins in my yard were dumb when it came to choosing their nesting spots! I've never seen one out in the open like that.

My garden is in almost a total state of reconstruction right now. After a two year hiatus I'm back at it with a goal of simplifying the front yard and improving the woody structure and design in the back and side gardens. Hopefully we'll start getting some regular rain soon so I won't have to worry about watering all the new shrub additions and transplants. Soon it will be time to start designing and planting all the annuals and containers so I need to get this moving and dividing campaign over and done with. On Wednesday I had eight yards of mulch delivered. With any luck I'll get the majority of it down this weekend. By June I hope to be able to just sit back and enjoy. Yeah, right!

OK, work calls. Enjoy your day!

Sue

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Woody, robin nests are an execise in sadness. They build them in the dumbest places only to get rained out and attacked. Other birds destroy the eggs and the young. They also kick their babes out of the nest early and can't protect them from dogs even! I hate robins the way Chelone hates dogs...

I love fritillaria Saucy! Mine grow in lots of shade even. Never enough of them though.

Mary, I think the vegetarian issue needs to be well thought out. Of course there's a difference between loving animals & pets and nourishing the body. Each of us needs to weigh the pros and cons though. There are other reasons for abandoning meat in the menu too. Personally I waver. I'll post a vegetarian recipe for you when I return that is just so yummy...

It is now morning chaos hour at the homestead. SKYLER! Find your hearing aid. Pack your Tai Kwon Do uniform! Put your homework in the backpack! Eat your breakfast! Pack your lunch! Move it! Is the dog fed yet? Did you take your pills? Brush your teeth! Your grandfather is waiting in the limo... Have fun at your Mom's...etc. (Yesterday it was DSIL. He couldn't locate his tax materials and it was the last day for filing. Never did find them. His filing "system" must be one reason for his divorce from S's mom.)

Off to Jasper today where we are promised sun and 15C temperatures.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

From Sarah-

Hi all,

I thought I'd give you a brief update on what's going on with the money people donated for Reed. Through generosity all around (donations and a benefits concert) we have managed to raise over $5000 which has been put towards building a stage and a children's playground at the annual North Country Fair music festival. In terms of paying for this to be made, it doesn't sound like so much, but if you consider that most labour is free (many trades people volunteer their time, tools and equipment), and that much of the supplies can be bought at discount, it will likely go very far!

This weekend is the first work bee of 3 or 4. This weekend the plan is to plant about 400 trees (8" seedlings). We aren't going up (despite the fact that I made the plans and got the seedlings because it's 3.5 hours from here and I've been having labour pains periodically for the last 1.5 weeks!).

Plans have been made for building the stage. Next weekend is going to be stage building weekend. I don't know if everything will get done, but hopefully the lumber will be delivered, and volunteers will show up for the building. We were hoping that baby would be here by now, because I don't think I'll be up there camping next weekend with a 0-1wk old baby!

In terms of the playground, DH managed to find some old but good playground equipment (the fair has tons of kids but only an old banned merry-go-round thing) from a playground that was being re-modeled and we've acquired a slide, monkey bars, a 30-40' bridge, as well as a couple other things for the playground. There's also some grand plan to put all those together in the shape of a pirate ship - but I haven't seen any real plans for that yet, just heard a lot of talk! On the other hand, these things tend to pan out if you allow them with this crew!

Anyway, I just thought I'd give you an update and thank you all again for your support!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

No morning WALAT today, as it is raining, a perfect excuse to Idyll with my coffee. I did manage to run about and pick a nice bouquet of roses, since many flowers will be ruined by the rain if it persists-the only down side to rain in spring. Yesterday the Nat Weather Service predicted that the rain would arrive after 11 and I had plans to high tail it over to the nursery this morning to see if a 6-pack of Sanvitalia is available. Even though its classified as an annual, all mine from last year are coming back. They are a great edging plant and great in containers too.

Saucy, wouldnt I love to have space for a nice Magnolia. The neighbor behind me has a large southern Magnolia that appears to be dying- the tree s right next to the fence where our back yards meet. Southern Mags are nice if you happen to live at Tara, but they seen out of proportion for a small back yard such as we have in this neighborhood. Many of the deciduous varieties do stay a nice size though. There are some beautiful specimens around our town.

Looks like there is abreak in the rain, so Im going to gulp down some coffee and see if I can perform a speedy targeted strike at the garden center

Back Later..

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Well, Friday again and there's Sue! Nice to see you. :-)
    I laughed reading your post Sue. Every year, I have the goal of being done by June and being able to sit back and enjoy it. I'm still waiting for that year that it actually happens. [g]

Norma...that was a clever way to get that tall trellis. I like it. My Duchess of Edinberg came in a box and did fine.

Gardenbug...Thai shrimp sounds delish. .... I had to laugh at your rendition of morning chaos. It's been awhile, but I remember it well. Time for a cup of coffee in peace after everyone is out of the house. Jasper sounds like a pleasant diversion and how far away will you be if baby does decide to make his/her escape? [g]

How fun to hear all about the North Country Fair! It's too bad S & W could not be there, I'm sure they are really disappointed about the timing. But soon enough, they will be able to visit with Baby 'S'. Very happy to have had the opportunity to have even a small hand in it. Thanks for the update Sarah. :-)

Kathy...I had to look for a photo of Arabella Clematis to see why you liked it so well and I really like it. I can see I am going to have to look around for more places to put Clematis. Kathy, my experiment with my two shrub roses last year seems to be doing okay. Last year they looked great early on and they both bloomed very nicely, but even though they are supposed to repeat bloom, I didn't get much rebloom and then some thripe made a mess of the foliage. I was ready to rip them out for good, they are in the front yard. But then I thought, why not just allow them the one bloom and then cut them all the way back and keep them for next year. Which I did. Both roses are back and I will just be happy to get a first flush of bloom before the rest of the plants take over. I just gave them a nice compost mulch and they are leafing out. I wonder though, I have some TomatoTone, which someone recommended for roses last year and I am thinking of giving them some of that. What do you think? Here is how far along they are right now....

{{gwi:155323}} {{gwi:155324}}

Chelone, mentioned not getting around to fertilizing her clematis and it reminded me that I finally got around to fertilizing my Hollies this year. I have not gotten to it in the past, but I bought a Blue Princess for $15. in the sale section last fall and it really needs some help. [g] I am sprinkling Hollytone under all of them and the Pieris and Rhododendrons and Azaleas, so I am expecting great things. Which had me wondering how many of you consistently fertilize your shrubs and trees? I take the approach of trying to keep the soil in good shape and letting the shrubs and trees fend for themselves, but I wonder if I would see better and faster growth if I were fertilizing more. Any opinions?

All these Yellow Magnolias! I don't know where I was when the interest in these was beginning, but I am very jealous. I drive by one around here in the spring and it is just one of my favorite spring treats. I didn't realize they were that fragrant.

Congratulations on the Garden Installation job, Saucy!!

Another day of no progress in the garden. I tried patching a couple of small spots on the lawn, before it rained, but I quickly got discouraged at how many I could do. I may just take my time and do a few every time I get the chance. Two down and umpteen to go. Nothing exciting to report...oh wait, DS put a new coat of stain on the garden gate, that was exciting! Plus, I discovered a sedum that I thought was dead last year, came back. It is a new variegated one, called 'Autumn Charm' that instead of the stark white of Frosty Morn, it is a yellow variegation. You can see that like FM, it reverts on some of the branches, but I like the way it does it with the yellow. It really catches my eye....

{{gwi:155325}}

That's it from here. Nice comfortable weather here and the whole weekend ahead. Happy Weekend! :-)

pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I forgot...Michelle, I run down the photos every time I pull up the thread and your Pulsatilla keeps catching my eye. I am going to have to try to find a place for that. :-)

Cindy...I am so happy to hear that Chloe is doing better! I hope she keeps up the good work! :-)

Waiting for photos of the chicken quarters at Mary's house and the front stoop at Julie's house, more photos of Baby Kate, at least a couple of photos of Sue's garden, Michelle's front walk garden, Deanne's garden, more roses from Kathy's house and a garden tour, Woody and Barb's daughter working hard, Drema's potager, Chelone's ferns, some photos 'while waiting' from up North, Saucy's garden if she ever slows down, Marian's mice running away with the peas and double points for any Yellow Magnolias. :-)

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Life has been so busy lately, I dont seem to find time to post. I havent even read everything. The weather has been cool and rainy for the last 4-5 days. It appears to be shaping up, so hopefully there will be some gardening time this weekend. The big news from here is that someone looked at my parents house and made an offer the same day. This was the first lookers after we did all the painting.

Im continuing to wintersow or maybe it should now be called spring sow. I actually do most of mine in the spring. The only problem is I dont have any more milk jugs etc. So as we use one up I plant one more. Things are really starting to sprout including, ornamental kale, Bright Lights chard, ammi, several kinds of amaranths,

Cindy, thanks for the clematis suggestions. I ordered 3 Polish Spirit for the patio trellises.

Drema, the flowers are 1. Scilla 2. Chionodoxa 3. Pulsatilla

Eden, thanks for the garden sign idea. Somehow I knew you would come through. I do have a double headboard very similar that is just hanging out in the garden shed.
    Kathy, the wall words are vinyl and 18" long.

PM, you should try Arabella. For me its the longest bloomer I have .

I thought Id try a post from work, but we are now open during lunch hour so if I try to use my computer, people think Im working and its been ridiculously busy here these days.

Back at it.

Michelle

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Another rainy day on tap here. So I ran errands again. Picked up jeans and shoes foe DH and a couple new summer shirts for me. I noticed the other day that the ones I usually where to town were looking pretty tired.

Of course I went by the nursery. I bought a trellis I had been eyeballing for a couple of years now and a Clematis HAKU OOKAN for the trellis I made on the back corner of the garden. It now will have Asao, Candidia or Henryi not sure which it is and HAKU OOKAN. I hope it will be a good combo.
    At another stop I bought another trellis and some bedding flowers. I should be well stocked on trellis for now. I also bought a new ergonomic weeding tool.
    And I should be done shopping for awhile.
    I wish I had had a video camera in hand this morning as I watched Rebel from the deck. He was at least twenty feet away from a spot in the yard but on alert. He pussyfooted over to the spot(very funny watching a big lug like him do that)and stood on point more or less. I quitely urged him to "get it". He waited a bit and then pounced, dug a little and flipped out a mole. GOOD BOY! says I. I immediately thought about Rex and his captures Chelone.

Nice to hear Sarahs update on the Reed Stage.

Also Nice to hear of Sue's endeveors. Hope we get to see pictures later. Your pictures are fine Sue. But you can always invite Deanne over when things start to peak, if you are not happy with yours.

Hey Julie, where are you?

Still raining but I think I'll go start some more seeds.

Oh yes, one of the dogs dug in the garden (probaly to bury something, easy digging) and scattered the mesculan seed I planted so it is coming up all over the place.LOL

And Mary, I stood and looked at the baby chicks at the farm store, and they were very pretty little things. There were several varietys.

Norma

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Ta da! Boxes of peas made it through the night unscathed, on the roof of the Toyota. I wish I had thought of that before. LOL at what Chelone said, and I apprecate the compliment, but bullheaded might fit me better. ;-0

Re: "noodling", I had frequently heard Nolon speaking of doing that,so I asked him. With catfish, they used a hook and line fastened to a 3-4 foot stick . They'd poke around with the stick until they found the fish, and ran it into a 'corner' between rocks, where they would get the hook into it's mouth, and give it a jerk, snagging it. The whole contraption was fastened to a tree so it could not 'run' away with it. There was no 'moonshine' associated with the activity...at least in his case.LOL

Pm2, no peas to 'pluck' and it will be awhile for that. :-)
    It is the seeds and small plants that the mice are devouring.
    I am wondering if I cut my pitiful roses back to a stub, would they come back as nice as yours. I certainly doubt it. I imagine I am even worse than you about fertilizing. I buy the recommended stuff, and then never use it!

Saucy, I wonder if that magnolia would survive our late freezes. That is the biggest drawback to growing them here.It is very pretty.

Woody, I don't guess you could erect some sort of protection over Mrs. Robin's nest? I have witnessed their ignorance in chosing where they build. I don't think we have any nesting ones this year. One year they would build a nest, then desert it. Build another, and desert it. They did that at least 3 times before staying put.

Mary, I wish Annie and David were here so they could go out with Nolon when he feeds the catfish. It is quite a sight! There are a gob of them.....I started out with 50, and have no idea how many there are now. I suspect the snappers get some. They would be welcome to fish for them, too.
    It is great that David enjoyed the play so much. I don't think our GDs are into plays. I need to ask them. They used to be in sports, but I don't think they are now.
    I sure hope the swine flu has not hit in that area.

Yes! Sue's TGIF is back! Sue is back!

Marie, I am envious over the good eating that you all are having.It was great that Sarah sent us that report. I am so happy we were all able to help.

Kathy, It would be nice if I could share part of my space with you....I was thinking, if all that I have planted was placed on a city lot, it would be very crowded. When we moved from Idaho we had 2 and 1/2 acres. We did not stay there long enough for me to do much planting. I 'did' have a large vegetable garden, and a nursery bed full of plants that I had moved from our town lot. The last place in town was two large lots, then we sold one of the lots, before selling the rest of it.

Guess what...since one of my GDs and their mother requested my being a friend on their facebook sites, I have developed quite a 'wall', and have an album with a bunch of pics in it. I would be very happy to have any of you who are interested to be added to my friends list. Even if all you want to do is see what I am doing. :-) I am registered under my real name. I am enjoying it now.
    Don't worry, I will not be leaving here. :-)

Marian

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Good news on the house Michelle. I hope it's a go.

I know how it is sometimes to find time to post. Especially if it's evening and you are tired. I hope you will get nicer weather and more garden time soon.

I have noticed that lots of my plants and shrubs are doing much better this year. I think because we had record breaking amounts of rain last year things were able to put roots down a little farther, then we have had more sun this spring.

I'm thinking Surprise doesn't want to steel Kates thunder and wants a thread of ones own. LOL

• jak1
    14 years ago

Hi
    Everyone! Wow! What a busy bunch of people you all are!

Can I manage a comment for everyone? Maybe yes, I hope so, but if you are left out, my apologies - there is just so much to read/see/say!

Cindy: Your yard looks beautiful! I will jump on the bandwagon to recommend Etoil Violette - I have two (one was a mislabelled something else) and they do wonders here. Our house is grey and I have the mislabelled one on our front post - it works wonders there. I will try to post a photo of my new front step, of which I am justifiably proud, still.

{{gwi:155326}}

The clem is on the post at the left; although it is early here, it is well budded up and will grow to the roof, blooming all the while. This will be its third summer....

Chelone - I hear ya about the "range" - I cooked on an old one of my mother's for 20 years before I bought a new one - in order to spruce up our old house for sale!! The one I have here is pretty new and actually works. I was surprised to hear about all of the pets. The real estate they occupy - is it, um, subterranian? An indelicate question, I know, it's just that I've really only actually "seen" Wrecks.

Marian - did I mention the "pour off"? It is magnificent! Your property looks fabulous. I cannot imagine how wonderful it must be to have catfish and turtles of your own in their natural state. *LOL* about the peas on top of the car - sounds good to me! A dolly is a must for me with the big stuff - but yours is so pretty! And I got a chuckle out of the bag of Miraclegrow - a familiar bag for me for sure! What a sisterhood we gardeners have!

Saucy - I haven't said anything about the bees because I have to keep my ice and Benadryl right by my side all summer - if I don't treat a sting within five minutes, it's off to Emerg. for me! And I get stung every year - there's always some poor bee/wasp/yellowjacket/ in my way! The allergist tells me I am not allergic to stings....so why do I swell up like a balloon and breathe funny? Ice and Benadryl, always at the ready. No problem! I love the frittalaria. I bet I have planted those snakeheads five times and never have I had one emerge. Maybe I will try again - they are just so beautiful and different. I know Marie has had luck - maybe it is just too cold here...

Mary, glad to hear the play went so well and David emerged unscathed! Scary, isn't it? But he has done so well (and so have you!). Boston sounds great!.

Norma, your woods, dogwood, and Japanese Maple are stupendous! I would love to be sitting right there, right now.

If that is not possible, I want to be sitting on Kathy's patio, right there, right now.

Woody - Marie is right - robins are attractive but dumb. There is one that builds her nest right on top of our back porch light every day, all Spring. Right over the hang-out of dogs and cat. I knock it down every morning and she rebuilds it evey afternoon. Poor thing. But it is just the worst place imaginable for a bird nest. I hope yours fares better.

Sue - I grinned at the aspect of planning gardens and pots. I try - but to no avail. I see stuff, I buy it, I stick it in, I move it, sometimes I kill it - no planning ability whatsoever. Maybe that's why I have such weird gardens...

PM2 - I hear you about the fertiliser and the lawn. I always start out with these great intentions but my gardens are lucky to get a shot of MiracleGro once or twice at the beginning of the year and then I fall behind...Fertilize the lawn? Hey that's what I have dogs for. What are those dead brown patches in my backyard anyway?

Well, again my apologies to those I missed - I love reading the Idylls chat - even if I get behind - I really appreciate what all you guys post!

Cheers,
    Julie

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

The rain has started up again, and is watering all my newly planted green kids from this morning. I managed to get a couple hours of gardening done between the storms. The snails are going to be having a hey day too, so I need to take preventative measures I would surely be POd if all my lovingly tended Old Mexico Zinnias got chomped down overnite. I bought some basil this morning and hope to get it planted out tomorrow, weather permitting. It was also great light conditions to take photos , with a bright overcast so I played with the camera a bit..
    I was wondering where youd been lately Michelle .. Its kind of reassuring to be busy at work these days- Lucky you on the homeselling front Theres nothing going on in that arena around here, people arent even brothering to list houses unless they have too, and that will likely stay that way until the foreclosures and short sells are gone.

bug, thanks for the update from DD, hope you enjoy your time in Jasper as baby surprise continues to simmer.

Mary, glad to hear that David is really starting to resume some normal activities, your stress level must be way down at this point. I lold when reading of DHs about face on the subject of chickens did Betty win him over with charm or was it the eggs ?

PM, I never fertilize trees and shrubs , and my bush roses get some alfalfa meal when they start to leaf out and Dr Earth organic rose and flower food once or maybe twice during the summer. The climbers get zilch dont need them to be any more vigorous than they already are ! The only thing I fertilize with any regularity are the containers. Really like that Autumn Charm sedum , Ill have to see if I can scare one up !

Just refreshed and saw that Marian has triumphed at last over the night maraudersI guess those peas will be living on the corolla for awhile huh ?

And Julie, really your new steps look terrific-they even match the house ! Would that be the wine terrace on the left ??

Ok, here are some pics from todayI think Ill do a separate thread tomorrow , Ive gone into pic-snapping overload !

Kathy in Napa

Snapdragons {{gwi:155327}}From End of April 09 in the Garden

Sally Holmes {{gwi:155328}}From End of April 09 in the Garden
    {{gwi:155329}}From End of April 09 in the Garden

My Friend Ted {{gwi:155330}}From End of April 09 in the Garden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    14 years ago

Here are a few shots I attempted tonight.

Virginia bluebells, a hosta and Eleutherococcus 'Variegata'

{{gwi:155331}}

Cercis 'Forest Pansy'

{{gwi:155332}}

Looking across the front yard-Fothergilla gardenii and another Cercis 'Silver Cloud'.

{{gwi:155333}}

Still can't get a decent shot of that yellow Magnolia...the holy grail of spring pictures I guess...lol.

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Nice Sue ! My lone Hosta has exactly one leaf ( snails) so zone 6 wins the day on this one. Is that a Crown Imperial I see in pic 2 ? Never grown one and never seen one 'in person' ..don't suppose it will still be blooming in July?
    White wine here too.

Kathy in Napa..

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Another quicky since its late. For some reason I couldnt get the Idyll thread to load on either computer. I could go to other pages on GW.

Its hard to believe how far along some of your gardens are. My hostas are just poking out of the ground. The asparagus is 1 ½ inches tall. The fern leaf peonies will be blooming soon though.

As I was weeding tonight I noticed a seedling of heliopsis Lorraine Sunshine that had the nicest pink edges. I think Ill keep that one and see how it develops. None of the others have pink on them.

Cindy, your garden is really quite wonderful. Just be glad you have a peanut of a dog tip toeing through it rather than one like mine who likes to lay in the beds and smash things.

Norma, what a wonderful spot your hammock is. The dogwoods are so pretty.

Sue, your garden looks loverly.

Kathy, that snapdragon has such a tropical look to it.

Julie, your project looks great.

Saucy, the yellow magnolia is such a nice soft color.

Brushwood was out of Etoile Violette so Ill keep it on the "wish list"

Good night all

Michelle

This is from last year, but these are the trellises where I plan on putting the 'Polish Spirits'
    {{gwi:155334}}

• chelone
    14 years ago

Michelle, is that geranium in the foreground of the above photo the same one you gave a start of to Deanne? Very pretty; I love variEgated leaves and the shade of pink is very appealing... I'd polish my toenails that color. It's a lovely seating area, very inviting. And Polish Spirit is going to look great on those trellises! Busy for me at work, too. And I concur with Kathy that it's a reassuring thing. But the offer on your parents' home is the best news yet... bet they're some glad their kids did the white tornado thing and spiffed the joint up, huh? I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

And very nice to see some shots from you, Sue. Your garden is lovely and I'm amazed at how much farther along in its development it is compared to my own. My hostas have been making a very steady move but their leaves are still in thw whorled stage, though some out back are beginning to unfurl. And the slugs are probably licking their little slug chops in gleeful anticipation... lol. If I had a lick of sense I'd serve 'em up a double shot of Sluggo. I particularly love the Cercis, they are the prettiest things. What have you planted around the base of your yellow Magnolia?

Aren't Crown Imperials and Frittilaria on the preferred snacking list of the dreaded Lily Leaf Beetle, too? I've been keeping my eyes peeled for their arrival, so far none, but it's only a question of time and the little gnawed areas indicate either slug or snail damage, so a prophylactic application of diotomaceaous earth at their feet is definitely in order, too.

Saucy, I laughed at the "Mongolian tree", I'd forgotten that but remembered it as soon as I read it. What have you planted beneath your's? (this is going to be the question I repeat often this season, I fear). So far, in nearly 5 years I've had exactly ONE blossom on "Butterflies" and I nearly missed it so I had no idea there was the possibility of scent... M. stellata smells wonderful; lemon-y and very delicate.

I love all cats (MUCH prefer them to dogs), Kathy, but I have to say that your Ted is particularly beautiful. His color is quite similar to Polly, though her coat is broken with white accessories. His "gumdrop" has the same trim package that Vera's does... love the delicate dark outline to accent the basic color. How did he get his name?

Julie, OUTSTANDING work on the newly improved entrance! I know exactly what you mean about the grousing when something like that comes up in conversation. I maintain that there is usually more time wasted on "reasons" (read: excuses) than is required to put together the basic plan and list the materials! You too, have a very inviting seating area and I find the monochromatic color palette very soothing and very pleasing. How is Tucker settling in at your house? has mayhem taken over completely? :)

I had to get to the bank yesterday afternoon and decided I'd take the Huge One along. He was an excellent boy, we passed several dogs walking their humans and he didn't let out a peep at the sight of them. (I will note that he still does that when he's out with the helpmeet, hehehe). I decided, on the spur of the moment, to take him into the bank with me. There wasn't any sign prohibiting it, after all, and we do have a goodly sum of money in their establishment. ;) So, in we walked, bold as brass. I had him "Down" next to me while I filled out the slips and got all the banking business in order. Then we went to the counter where he was required to do the same thing. He was beautifully behaved and earned his cookie. One of the patrons even commented that he was very well behaved (if they only knew). After that we went to see Daddy and practice our "Sunday go to meetin' manners" in another busy place. He was a hit with several of the shoppers there, too. One woman looked at him nervously and I smiled at her and said he "just looked scarey" but was in fact very gentle. Poor thing had been bitten before and after watching him for a bit asked if she might pat him. He was a perfect gentleman and I hope he did his small part in rehabilitating the somewhat fearsome reputation of large dogs in dark colors. We played "ball" when we came home; it's a great way to burn off all the energy accumulated while practicing "good boy manners", lol. No voles or moles, though. ;) (I like that Rebel keeps a close eye on his territory, too).

And that's very exciting news about the Reed stage. There is much planning and more effort that goes into a project like that and I'm sure it will be gratifying to note its progress. The practicality of the project appeals to my yankee sensibility; life is filled with ups and downs and something that brings joy to the living is the best sort of memorial.

Today is the day I will conquer the world of "ladies foundations", with a stopover at a nursery on the way home. I plan to be there when they unlock the front door and make my shopping junket a "surgical strike".

Now, however, I plan to tackle the dishes and kitchen clean up, toss a load of laundry in the washing machine and get this show on the road. May your day be fruitfully productive and enjoyable my friends.

• ctlavluvr
    14 years ago

Being the century post in this Idyll is a bit intimidating given all the wonders it includes. Didn't have enough good pics for a thread of its own, but did want to share some pics from last week's jaunt to Columbus, OH and the Franklin Park Conservatory.

No, we didn't go in as it was closing and there was a private affair going on that evening that necessitated clearing out the mortals :-)

{{gwi:155335}}

{{gwi:155336}}

{{gwi:155337}}

The enormity of the place is shown here -- see the family enjoying the day??

{{gwi:155338}}

And here, every seedling going damped off given the abrupt rise in temp and sporadic watering during four days. So, stock has been replenished and will be started again with the thought that it may have been early, anyway :-)

Have a great Saturday, everyone! Such good things for so many, and all good thoughts for those in need......

Martie

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?