Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerluvr

Idyll #316-Carryin' the torch for Chelone

flowerluvr
16 years ago

I vote for the pastel chairs, too. Chelone, I'm afraid I'd just be beyond furious over what's going on at the nursing home. For that kind of money, you should certainly not be having this kind of nonsense to deal with. Well, for any amount of money. (((Chelone))) go get 'em, girl!

Sue, I can see the lime green with the blue. One of my DD's favorite color combos as a matter of fact.

Kathy, beautiful pictures!! The way I see it, yoga in PE could only help with all the teenage emotion floating around, lol!

V-What's a natural swimming pool??

'bug, the jumpsuit and the fish buttons....too cute!! I have no pond experience, only dreams, so I'll leave that to the folks that do have one, but I gotta agree that it DOES have a bit of a bathtub look.

Oh, shoot, all that typing, and I coulda just said, "I vote for everything Cynthia voted for.....plus the s'mores that Chelone mentioned", lol! I had no idea there was such a thing as a Tupelo tree-I'll have to google a pic so I can see what they look like. Have anything to do with "Tupelo Honey??" I never knew what that was either. By the way, Cynthia-if you can imagine, I haven't worn a watch in over 15 years, and am doing good if I know what day of the week it is. For the most part, time and day of the week have very little to do with farming...and I don't miss wearing a watch one little bit!

Today got pretty well hijacked for me, and I got very few things checked off my to do list. The phones started ringing first thing thing this morning. I was never too excited about getting a cell phone, and today only proved my point. While I was on the "house phone", DS called my cell phone--because she tried to call the house phone and it was busy. Yes, everyone should be on two phones at the same time. Got those calls dealt with, then had the same thing happen with two other siblings. Call me crazy, but if I call your house phone and it's busy, I'll go ahead and assume you're TALKING on it, and NOT call your cell phone, unless it's an emergency, which of course was not the case. And, the whole family knows that Jim is never on ANY phone if he can possibly help it. I've had to just about threaten his life to get him to carry a cell phone, and exactly five people have his number!! Pretty well set the tone for the rest of the day. Pop in visitors...all enjoyable and welcome, but it sure did shoot the day right in the butt. Now it's heading on supper time, and all I did was cut back a couple of clematis :( Oh, well, tomorrow IS another day, and Jim's grilling salmon for supper!

Have a good rest of the weekend, everyone!

Brenda

Comments (102)

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, not good news on my mom. They're seeing the cancer show up in her abdomen and are going to try radiation now. She sounds positive though and she has had time to rest up and get her strength back since the chemo so she's ready to fight.

Marie, I hope the groundhog was just lost. He looks confused. The best I could hope for from Bud is to keep him chased out of the garden. But then I'd probably lose just as many plants from Bud trampling through them as I would from the groundhog eating them.

Cindy, I think the pots of flowers are a great idea for a Mothers Day gift. And you get to be creative and make up some container gardens, one of my favorite things to do!

Michelle, I bet your mom loves getting bouquets of flowers from your garden. You have such a talent for putting beautiful bouquets together too. Do you ever put herbs in your bouquets? At the Farmers Market here they sometimes include dill in the ones they sell at the cut flower booth and I always choose those because they smell so good!

Megan is picking up Bella early tonight. She has a Drs appt this afternoon. She says she's still feeling run down. I told her it could be because she works 60 hours a week and then takes care of a 2 year old. Makes sense to me at least. I hope that's all it is. I'm feeling today like when it rains it pours.

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

Just home from work and mercifully it was a GOOD day! I needed one. My boss and I were alone today and we had some chuckles. She was "seriously stressin'" yesterday when I left and I told her I'd work on my own project until she arrived this AM. I mended the screen panels for the deck canopy, and began laying out the runs for the house awnings I've decided to remake this year. The originals are 10 yrs. old and the Sunbrella has the "old" feel you recognize immediately when you work with the stuff. I could get another season out of them, but I just FEEL like remaking them. :) I have 2 laid out and 2 more to go. I'm going to go to the shop tomorrow morning and put in a few hours work on them. I can probably get 2 completed and the other 2 cut. I may have to order more bullion fringe, too.

Sue, suck it up, sister! You were told June 1st. for a reason, and no amount of wheedling is going to be any great benefit. So bump your walks up to 6-7 miles, sure you'll lose some flexibility, but at least you'll be active. You could research a shrub border for my yard... will face east, with some southern sun until noon-2 PM, or thereabouts (won't be able to know exactly until the garage is in place). ;)

I laughed about Bella and the sunglasses, Eden. My favorite english teacher used to say that everyone can write poetry and draw creatively but we "chicken out" by the time we're about 10 yrs. old unless someone encourages us. Bummer about the woodchuck; I used to turn Sally and Chris loose on any I found here. None since, but I expect Rex would dispatch them with ease. GOOD BOY! (one of the reasons I've yet to kick him until dead).

Deanne, bummer you have to be in all weekend. I'll enjoy the great outdoors for you, how's that sound? I'm actually excited about planning the windowboxes and getting stuff potted up and rearranged here "on the compound". It's been a long time for me.

Only a few lonely croaks from the pond, but the Peepers are pretty active still. It's been in the high 20s-low 30s for the past week, but the bird calls are amazing. I hear the first of them about 5 AM and then the chorus begins to build. There is only the faintest hint of green on bushes in my yard right now, but inland 2 miles it's GREEN. And it's wonderful! I have yet to mow the lawn. And there are "no bugs"... YET.

Cindy, I love your plan for your Mom. Wistfully, I think of how much Mum would love to be here now... exploring the yard in her determined, careful way. Tears me up, but the signs were clear. So, I make time to soak up a little more of it every day in her honor.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Eden, I just "refreshed" and read your newest post. I totally forgot to tell you I wished your Mom well in my own post (duh).

You must be numb right now. The "scareds" will settle in later on... . (((Eden))). I was so hoping for a second "all clear" for you guys.

My thoughts with respect to your daughter are the same as your's... makes sense to me!

I wish I could offer you some tea and cookies to go along with my sympathy. Thinkin' of you and worrying about you.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I read as much as time and my sleep allowance will allow and I've gathered that Sue is recuperating...did I guess right? I hope your health is well.

I also gathered that Chelone is having a tough time with health care for mom, and Eden's mom is having a health crisis.

I'm sorry I've been absent for all of your life changing problems. I wish I'd been here for support. I wish you all the best and anyone else that I have missed in my quick observation.

It is terribly hard to catch up :)

Deanne and GB, you capture what I am seeing in the garden beautifully! GB, your daughter is expecting? How exciting!

Mary, I want to come for supper :) I'm not being coy, just not thinking straight. We are an Industrial/Commercial HVAC Service, Installation, and Digital Controls company. Same thing I did in the Navy. I'm running the admin right now and Nick's doing sales and tech. We hired our first employee 2 weeks ago....ready for another if some invoices come in.....

I went (against better judgement) annual shopping today - got a bunch of coleus, cherry red cleome, moss rose, and dahlias. I always jump the gun and buy things just because I want to plant! If I was growing from seed I wouldn't have even looked, but since there is NO green here, I jumped at the first plant I saw :)

I've got to go to bed...I'm ready to fall asleep @ 9....I think I forgot to tell you that Sarah has pneumonia, so I feel like a rag doll caring for her needs and working in the office....

Not that I need any sympathy...just letting you know where I'm coming from.

Saucy

PS - seeing things from GW friends break from the soil - that's the best :)

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Here's the latest. Dr. says Megan has a goiter. What the heck??? He did some blood work and she's scheduled for a thyroid scan on Monday. I thought I'd go out shopping for a while and get my mind off of things and my brakes started making a weird noise. So I came home and I'm staying put for the weekend. This has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day! Tomorrow will be better!

Chelone, thanks for your thoughts. They're appreciated.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Hi Saucy, It's great that you're getting back into the swing here! Just take your time. You'll be up to speed in no time. Just pick up from here and then keep going ok? I'm so glad the business is going so well. You can never go wrong with plant shopping, always good therapy and rejuvenating for the soul. Sorry to hear Sarah's sick. I was trying to figure out how old she is now. I'm guessing 7 or 8, but I could be way off. Time has a way of getting away from me.

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

AWW... (((Eden)))! hang tight, sister! I have a pretty good idea how you're feelin' right now...

Saucy, Mum is now in a nursing home and they're failing miserably with respect to "maintaining" her urostomy. I'm absolutel B--L--it about it, and my letters have made that very clear to the "Administration", at ALL levels. I'm still standing, and that's probably a GOOD thing. ;)

For Eden; I really like this shot. I love the juniper surrounding/engulfing the croci. And the errant oak leaf really puncuates the whole thing. Someone in Maine is thinking of you and sends you really good kharma.

{{gwi:152235}}

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Oh my, hearing Saucy's summary of all our ills is brutal! Yes, it is all true. But Sue is on the mend I am convinced, if she'll obey orders that is. And Chelone's situation stinks but she is doing better than any 3 of us together might hope to do. As for Eden, I'd curl up with a drink and dessert, then sleep for a hundred years! (((Eden)))

Saucy, my guess is that your Sarah is more like 10 by now. You'll have to let us know. I hope she takes it easy and mends quickly! All I recall about pneumonia is sleeping for two weeks straight. I still remember your son best from the past Idyllunion. Yes, my daughter is expecting in early July. This morning she had a scare and is resting upon the advice of her midwife. Everything is fine and she is no longer worried. It is so helpful to be able to research things with the help of Google, something that was not possible even a few years ago. And she knows I'd fly out to be with her in a heartbeat, even abandoning my garden and pets. It is great to know that comforts her. OK, everyone is going nuts by now with all my chatter about this I'm sure.

I managed a very quick shopping trip at dinner hour to buy some new underwear (yeah!), socks, t-shirts, groceries, and then a few plants as well.

DH finally succeeded in repairing our kitchen sink which drains perfectly now. Then we proofread our revised wills and powers of attorney at last. I hope our lawyer can see us soon and end this legalese limbo which is so hard to decipher. What's wrong with English?
    'bug

• flowerluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

(((Eden))) Sending you wishes for a better day tomorrow!
    Hi to all...no rocks thrown :)
    Brenda

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Eden, I'm so sorry that your Mom and daughter had bad medical diagnoses. As you said, it is definitely pouring around you right now and I hope the sunshine returns soon.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all, not a whole lot of time but I wanted to pop in for a few

Eden, I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your Mom's diagnosis. That must be so difficult for you to deal with then to hear about DD's thryoid issues. Seems sometimes that when one bad thing happens it just on happening. My sister had a goiter and as I recall when everything was treated she was 100% better than she'd felt in years. Turned out she was hypothyroid and was also very run down and tired and when they got her on thyroid meds she improved dramatically. I'm thinking of you and sending positive and supportive thoughts your way.

Saucy so sorry DD is ill, I agree with Bug, pneumonia knocks the cookies out of a person. I actually came to the Idylls a few years ago because I was immobilized in the house for weeks from August through October and Doug set me up with my first wireless lap top so I could kill time during my enforced idyllness.... Anyway, I'm sure you are making sure she is resting. ~~ Great news on the business, so positive! You go girl!

Chelone, I just love the crocus pic! I agree that they look lovely poking up through the juniper. So pretty! ~~ Thanks for offering to enjoy the outdoors and sunshine for me, can you pop over and get the mulching done while you are at it??? LOL

Where oh where is Cynthia, I'm worried about her lovely greys.

Monique how's Emma?

OK Doug got home late last night so we haven't had time for a chat all week and he just got up and I'm going to be gone all day so I'd better get off this computer.

Have a great day everyone
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Good morning!

Eden, I was also upset to hear your mom got some bad news. Good for her to have the fighting spirit-that appears to be half the battle. Let's hope there's bunches of good news on the horizon for you as well.

Well, my excitement for yesterday was the three hours I spent in the emergency room. Good grief, when it rains it pours. Yesterday morning I was having trouble with gas pains. I took a couple of Tums and that seemed to do the trick. Then I went to lunch and that was OK. I got back to my office around 2:30 and the pain was back. More antacids but this time they didn't touch it. Pain got so bad I couldn't stand up straight. Of course, me, who hates bothering with doctors keeps telling everyone at work just give another 15 minutes to see if it goes away. No such luck. I finally agreed to let a co-worker drive me home. During the ride I realized how bad the pain was and figured I would probably need some sort of medical intervention.

Naturally everyone is freaked out because they all think it's some sort of surgery complication but the pain was too high up. It felt like gas to me but it was like no pain I had ever had before and I have a pretty high tolerance. When I got home I had Tom call the doctor who tells us to go to the emegency room. I sailed through triage and right into an examining room. They took all the usual tests, hooked me up to a bunch of things, brought me to xray and started an IV. Most of the time the pain was so bad I could only stay in the fetal position. Doctors were coming in and talking stuff like gall bladder, pancreatitus, surgical consults...yikes. All I could think of was please don't do anything to me that will add any more weeks to my restrictions...lol.

So, here's the punchline. On the way out of xray (where at one point I figured I'd die), I finally passed some decent gas. Certainly not a record of any kind and nothing rivaling the sounds of a good fart machine but a good toot. Not even fifteen minutes went by and the pain was gone. Totally gone. You've got to be freakin' kidding me! It was gas confirmed by the xray. Within half an hour after that I was dressed and out of there but my night was ruined.

The moral of the story is never underestimate the healing power of a good fart.

Sue

• chelone
    16 years ago

Too bad you weren't able to light it, Sue.

;)

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Hey Sue, Katie spent an overnight in the hospital with gas (she had passed a cream cheese package at home, and was still in severe pain, so off we went.) The x-ray showed enormous bubble of gas, and they kept her, so I know how painful it can be. Dogs are stoic too.

Eden, I hope something wonderful comes up in your garden today :-) Hugs and warmest thoughts going your way for the best outcomes possible with your family. The only thing that's really changed is that you know, and knowledge is the first step.

Monty is officially a hemangiosarcoma dog. I'm glad he's home so I can enjoy his silly ears and old white face for a while. I just want him comfy and happy for as long as he can manage. Drugs 'r us.

Off to the spring swap this morning to dump a few things. Going to take Dannie with me, so that she doesn't have to stay home and sleep away the day with the sick 'uns.

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Sue, I'm so sorry you had to go thru that but your story made for a good laugh this morn. Will you be at the garden swap tomorrow? Should I bring some baked beans as a side-dish LOL? Hmm, broccoli salad.

Emma came home last Saturday. She's doing much better since she wasn't happy at all at the vets. They begged us to take her home b/c she was whining constantly. She has been fairly quiet, but is on 5 different medications and one makes her a bit sleepy. She's moving around fine-even trotting at times in the yard, but she must be crated for 23.5 hrs/day and only go outside to do her business. She seems happy though which makes us happy.

Well, off to help hubby stain the deck and then I'll dig up more plants for the garden swap.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

((Eden)) Im so sorry to hear that your moms cancer has returned. She sounds like a strong and special lady to be so positive and determined to fight. My thoughts and prayers are with her. Poor Megan, I hope they can get to the bottom of what is ailing her. I wonder if this is related to the mono.

RE: the herbs in the floral arrangements, yes I have used parsely, purple ruffles and opal basil and bronze fennel. I picked up cinnamon basil seeds last night because I read that its a great filler. When I was picking out the seeds Rick got in the mood and got some pumpkin, watermelon and muskmelon seeds to plant in one of his fields.

Sorry to hear that Sue and Katie both had to deal with gas issues. Sue, you may want to read up on IBS. It is very common in women and I started out just like you with a trip to the ER. After 10 years its no big deal, I have learned to manage it. Recently the wife of a guy I work with had a hysterectomy and they left a sponge in her and she ended up with a great deal of pain and they had to go back in and retrieve it.

Saucy, I hope your DD bounces back quickly.

Chelone, I enjoyed all your pictures. How nice to have a tractor at your disposal. It certainly makes the big jobs much easier.

Monique, good to hear that Emma is home and happy about it.

I think I will get out of my robe and face the windy, damp day.

Michelle

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Eden, a woman shouldn't have to endure the day you had yesterday. I hope your daughter will feel better when they get her thyroid under control. It is good to hear your mother has a fighting spirit.

As for the groundhog - isn't it curious how they get SO fat eating nothing but vegetation? Must have the slowest metabolism!

Sarah seems to be fine - she was pitiful for a couple of days, but she's begging to ride her bike, etc., but I just keep telling her "doctor's orders" and she goes back to playdough. She sounds alot like Sue :) She is 8 going on 13. I'm hearing gossip-y comments come from her and her friend's mouths and I have to constantly remind them all to treat others as you'd like to be treated. It seems to be a trend with today's girls. If we'd all just learn to stick together! I'm always yelling at the t.v. when Survivor women back stab each other!

Speaking of Sue, what a nightmarish day for you, too!

I am sitting here typing instead of outside on this beautiful Saturday morning. I'm kind of frozen on what to do next even though there is so much to do...sorta overwhelmed by it all. Since my new office has a beautiful view, I've put up a bird feeder and have a garden planned - bare soil which will be covered with weeds soon if I don't get moving!

I'm watching a pair of cardinals under the feeder - he picks up seed and passes it to her! I wonder why? Another male came by and he quickly scared him away....are they monogamous birds? Don't laugh at me...I need to break out my bird book.

Speaking of bird books, I recently went to a presentation on invasive species and the speaker was the author of my new New England nature book. It was good night. He talked alot about "dixie invaders" meaning birds that have moved north because of invasives that provided them food. Can't help but think of myself as a dixie invader :) The first time I saw a mockingbird here I was happy because I recognized it from the south, now I know he hasn't lived here that long :)

Well, time to get moving.

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

It's a beautiful, sunny day here. Not too warm though, just 60s. I went out to the Farmers Market and picked up a few plants for containers. One guy has a stand with lots of unusual stuff and I ended up with probably close to a dozen new plants. The Farmers Market has such great prices, they had cannas for $3 and herbs for $1. I'll be going back next week for more stuff! I stopped at Target on the way home and picked up a little bike for Bella. It has a handle that you can attach to the back so that an adult can control it but she can still pedal. When she gets a little bigger we can take off the handle.

Thank you all for you thoughts. You are all such a comfort to me, such a special group of people. I'm very grateful to have you guys!

Cynthia, I'm sorry about Monty's diagnosis. It makes time with him even more precious doesn't it?

Monique, great to hear that Emma's happy and getting better. Now you can concentrate on your beautiful garden.

Sue, LOL on the story but I'm sorry about the pain you were in. I got a joke in my email yesterday to the effect that someone went into a gas station and asked for $5 of gas. The attendant farted and gave him a reciept. So if you could bottle it maybe you could get rich, lol!

Marie, glad your dd is feeling better. It must be hard for you, being so far away but I know you'd be there in a flash if she needed you. I'm requesting more of your beautiful garden pics please, when you get the time.

Chelone, what a cool picture with the crocus and the oak leaf. Hope you get to get lots of garden time this weekend in honor of your mum!

Mary, I meant to tell you. I have some pictures I saved from a gardening mag some time ago that are little J. maples in urns with low grasses and mossy plants growing around the base. They're very pretty and I'm going to try to recreate a couple of them this year. Maybe you could try something like that with the ones you're wanting. It's a shame not to buy them at that price!

Brenda, glad you didn't have to resort to rock throwing, lol.

Deanne, good that Doug's home with you again. So have you put together any containers yet?

Michelle, I was wondering if Megan's new diagnosis had anything to do with the mono too? She said the Dr. didn't say so, but I still wonder? Hope the weather improves for you. How's Kenzie's garden coming along? I picked up a fancy leaf geranium today called merlot and I thought of you.

Time to run and get inside things done so I can get outside and enjoy the beautiful day. Hope you all have a good one!

Eden

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Hi, all. Im still among the living, barely. I cant remember when a bug knocked me on my butt for 8 days. I dont have time for this! Between my friends unexpected visit b/c her BIL passed and this bug, Ive lost 2-1/2 wks of prime gardening time. Its really bad when you cant even lift your head up to look outside at the sun, much less be able to get out there.

I felt good enough yesterday to wash my hair and run a few lite errands. When I picked up my prescription glasses, the gal there said shes just getting over this bug, too. I returned the dead Azaleas to HD and brot the replacements home. I mustve overdone b/c I had another bout w/the intestinal part of the bug last nite. Immodium is a miracle drug and saved my life once again. DH thinks my body is trying to get rid of the bug. I wish it would hurry up already.

Today, the rest of my compost is due to be delvd. Im going to direct DH on planting and rest as much as possible in between.

Eden, Im so sorry to hear about your Mom and your DD. You must be worried sick. Oh, and you lost another beloved kitty. (((((Eden))))). I hope better news is just around the corner for you. I love your Bella tales.

((((Chelone))))), how maddening about the inept (non) caregivers. Today, its essential that patients have an advocate to check on the facility to assure theyre meeting the needs of the patients unscheduled visits at odd times by the concerned who are not afraid to speak up. Good for you that you made yourself heard. Keep it up.

(((Sue))) how awful you had the pain and that unexpected visit to the emergency room. I understand that it is a quite common problem after surgery. I agree, do what the Drs tell you. It takes a long time for the body to fully heal. In the end, youll be glad you did.

Cynthia and Monique, Im so sorry to hear about Monty and Emma but glad theyre now home and resting comfortably.

Lastly, I want to welcome Saucy back! Its so great to hear from you and that you and DH have got a great business up and running. Good for you! Any chance well see you at IU4? I hope so.

Deanne, I certainly hope you didnt have this version of the bug. Sheesh. Im trying not to share it with anybody. About your Jack Frost, for some reason all the ones I planted have croaked. I have more success with Looking Glass.

Thats all from me today. Im low on energy and need to use what little I have and get outside to direct DH. Im hoping the sun will be the best medicine. Ive nodded thru all your posts and Im thinking of everyone. Hope its sunny where you are and that youre playing in the dirt!

Honey

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

The sun is shining, my hair is cut, got the cat litter from town (an emergency!) and have a guy coming Monday to repair the NEW riding mower. I picked up 20 small spruce trees in exchange for a $10 donation to the food bank. DH and I dug the 20 holes, fed them bone meal and compost, then marveled how long it took for 20 tiny little things! Need to lug water down there soon to give them drinks. That requires hooking up the hoses first.

We're off to Woody's in a short while. The trilliums are out today! I'll try to get some photos to share. Here's tonight's Indian menu:
    To start - Onion Bhajis and Papadums
    Main buffet:: Chef's Special Biryani, Mushroom Bhaji, Chicken Rogan Josh, Chicken Dupiaza, Beef Pasanda
    Garlic Naan
    For dessert: Lemon pudding (Home made. It makes a nice, light finish to a curry dinner.)

OK folks, that's it for medical problems! I want to hear only about good cheer and recoveries now please. ;)
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Hello from out westIm unconvinced that my Healthy Idylls Saturday was a success .Sounds like there are still a bunch of issues out there..except for Sue who cleverly cured herself ..better health through flatulence.

Eden, all the best to you and your Mom. I hope you enjoyed your day in the garden and that it gave you some releif from your troublesI know that for me the garden is a important sanctuary ; the sometimes mundane and repetitive tasks can be so comforting .

Cynthia, so sorry to hear about your friend Monty. How lucky he is to be in a caring home Please give him a doggie face hug for me..

bug, what kind of camera do you have --? Those pics of the primulas are so sharp ! I am trying to improve my photo skills..

Michelle, scary doings at your office. I bought plants at the grocery store too! Mine were all succulents-I am very fond of succulents and have quite a nice little collection. Lost several over the winter herenot typical.

Chelone, about time you had a good day at work. I need one too. Maybe Ill run off to a tropical island and write a book. Love the crocus shot. I ordered 250 tulips yesterday. Im going to line my brick walk next fall. I have done crocus in the past but they are so fleeting here. I think it is too warm for them to hold up well. The tulips will be a one shot deal, so it is an extravagance. However, I am getting them with an employee discount and they are going to be quite inexpensive.

Nice to hear from you Honey !
    And where is T,V , Tayrn and Yeona ?

Hi Martie

I got up at 4 this morning to take DS to the airport. I think Im going to fade early

Night all ,

Kathy in Napa

• flowerluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning, all!

Sue, you crack me up ;) Hate to hear of you blowing so much time in the ER, but glad your problem was so easily solved! Better out than in, I always say.

So much going on for so many on the Idylls...here's hoping that everyone gets feeling better, and Eden, I SURE hope things are going better in your world! I bet you'll have tons of fun with Bella and the bike! Clever idea to put a handle on it-wish they had thought about it when I was a kid. Remember Artie Johnson on his trike on Laugh-In?? That's how I learned to ride. Kept practicing going down a hill in our yard, tipping over sideways a million times. I was a persistent little bugger, and kept at it. First time out on the driveway, I got so excited because I was keeping the bike up that I rode right into the grill on my brother's brand new GTO. I was scared for my life, but he didn't see, and I didn't tell him about it for YEARS.

Cynthia, I'm so sorry about Monty. (((Cynthia)))

Honey, sorry to hear you've been so under the weather! Bad enough to be sick, but at this time of year, it's the worst! Take it easy on yourself, girl, and don't try to catch everything up all at once, okay?

Michelle-wow, scary day at your office. I'd have called the police, too. You just never know.

All the pictures are beautiful, as usual. DD was giving me grief the other day while we were walking around the yard looking at plants, because I never think to take the camera with me. I really need to take a class and learn to take better shots. You guys are so inspiring!

We're making good progress on the corn planting, and some soybeans got planted yesterday, too. The bright side of the unusually cold spring is that the weeds in the fields haven't gotten huge yet. It's usually my job to go from field to field with the disc, keeping weeds chopped up until the planter gets there. The crappy weather has saved me a lot of bouncing around. Yesterday, the BIL of the guys we farm with passed away unexpectedly. He had been in the hospital for shoulder surgery, was due to be released yesterday afternoon, and his heart stopped. He'd had a pacemaker for years, but no one expected anything to happen while he was in for minor surgery. Boy, is this the bad news Idyll, or what? Makes me glad that we're working with them, we can pick up the slack while they help tend to their DS and they won't have quite so much pressure on them.

I gotta get busy. Sounds like I'm going to have to work at least part of the day today. I don't usually have to work on Sunday, but with the viewing and funeral coming up this week, we're going to have to make up some time. Got up early this morning so I can get some laundry done. DH has spent most of the last three days picking rocks, and he's bushed. I chased out the dogs and closed the BR door so he can get some extra sleep.

Have a good day, everyone, and I hope good news comes everyone's way this coming week!
    Take care,
    Brenda

• chelone
    16 years ago

Good morning everyone.

Cynthia, I'm so sorry to hear about Monty. It's so painful to be alerted to a loved pet's decline, even if we already know it somewhere down deep inside. Love and comfort count for lots. I think of your sister often, too; and wish you both well. How's the twirlie girlie doing?

Poor Emma, locked in "solitary" hooked up to IVs, far from her "territory"... no wonder she was whining continually. I would, too! I can only imagine the relief of having her home, safe 'n sound. When are we going to see some shots of your lovely gardens and the snazzy new renovations, Monique??

Eden, you're definitely due for a break. There was a question about goiters on "Jeopie" last night; helpmeet got it wrong... I however, with my keen interest in all things medical/forensic, got it right. ;) Now that the doctor is on the track I'm sure Megan will perk right up. Here's wishing you some sunny skies and productive garden days to help you sift through all the emotions and find places to store them so they don't overwhelm you. Hang tough!

I laughed at Sue's predicament, too, but also understand how painful gas pains can be. I had no idea the actual bubble could be viewed in an X ray, but it makes sense on reflection. My father had trouble with that following his surgery, too. I remember him getting on his hands and knees, dropping his head and raising his backside... relief and some laughter followed soon after. I like Kathy's suggestion of "better health through flatulence"; I think it could make a dandy tee shirt or BUMpersticker. Hehehe.

good to hear that Honey is back on "the Road to Wellness" (which is a very entertaining move, by the way!). 8 days is a long time to be sick, esp. at this time of year. there will be plenty of nice gardening days ahead of you. Waste not your energy looking over your shoulder with regret! ;)

Good to learn that Saucy's brood is faring well. Sarah must be quite a little lady now; I have a nice memory of how gentle Jake was with her, nice kids. Mating and courting behavior in birds frequently involved feeding and preening each other. Deanne posted a great shot of two feeding each other some weeks ago; our cockatiel used to preen our eyelashes very daintily and gently and then would bow his head so we could "give scritchies" to his crest feathers. Isn't it fun to just sit and watch? The Sedum you gave me is doing wonderfully well, but the LOV is having a tougher go of it, facing stiff competition from Bracken and Asarum... good to keep it "corralled" I'm told. The Liatris has struggled, though... soil is too rich and too moist, I think, but it gamely flowers every year anyway.

I yanked dandilions from the terrace and Sanitary Ridge yesterday while waiting for an alteration customer to show up and claim her dress. What an odius task, but better now than all summer long, right? Today, I have to relocate several plants and then I'll be able to consider my next move; probably potting up some things that are "clogging" the gardens and need to find new homes. Just so you know, Deanne, I wasn't nearly as productive yesterday as I ought to have been. I'm a long way from spreading mulch here, let alone at your place. ;)

Michelle, the use of the tractor sure has been nice and handy! We used the hoe to dig the Baptisia and in spite of digging around it deeply with our spades there were still masses of broken roots, but it seems to be OK, the emerging shoots are still growing, and it will be interesting to see if it stalls out with respect to flowers (I love them). My BIL and the helpmeet are already stewing about purchasing one for themselves... I suggested the snowblower attachment, which they thought was brilliant. Men and tools... little boys, all!

I'm certain I've forgotten someone, would like to know how Woody is and receive a complete review of the meal (I love curry, even the Vinda Loo) and the shed progress in her pretty yard.

I enjoyed the Kentucky Derby yesterday, but could have done with a little less hero worship for Barbaro, a horse I feel was good, but NOT great. I especially enjoyed watching the skillful ride Street Sense received, there is always something about "threading the needle" and a stretch drive that is very exciting. A lot of horse will not respond well after being pelted with dirt during the trip. It was fun to watch him "turn it on" and the head of the stretch and to watch the joy of his jockey. Personally, though, my favorite of the Triple Crown is the Belmont Stakes (1 1/2 miles). I like the distance races; and the handicap races best of all. Sadly the Jockey Club Gold Cup is no longer 2 miles, and the handicap Triple Crown (of which there have been only 3 winners, I believe) receives little attention, though it is a more difficult achievement for the horse.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Morning, Lilacs are blooming here! I love this time of year, I did a garden walk this morning and all of the foliage is so fresh and green. Brad's mowing our little patch, takes about 5 minutes, and I'm heading out to get a few things out of pots and into the ground. I"ll be back later to check on what you're all doing today!

Eden

• honey_mi
    16 years ago

Good morning. Another drive-by. I'm still congested, but not quite as much. I'm weening myself off the meds b/c they've been upsetting my stomach. I just wish I had more energy! Ruth, my neighbor said she knew I was feeling better when she saw the pot ghetto starting on my drive.

Yesterday, We got the compost spread, chopped out an old shrub on the side of the house and bot some river rock to improve drainage in the front courtyard. Today we're hoping to get alot moved and planted.

Here're some pix. These little guys were late blooming due to the bizarre weather we had. They clashed with the magnolia, so I'll have to find another spot for them. Pretty, tho:

{{gwi:155446}}

I planted this combo in 5 places. The white petals on the ground are from the pear tree:

{{gwi:155447}}

And finally, Magnolia 'Jane'.

{{gwi:155448}}

I'm thrilled with her. All the other early magnolias got zapped this year so I'm glad I selected this cultivar. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Gotta shower so I can get out there and get dirty. Hi to all. Hope you're all gardening up a storm (except Sue).

Later, taters,
    Honey

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Eden, bike for Bella is great idea. She can negotiate all of those paths in your garden and help keep the weeds down. Though I don't remember seeing any weeds in your gardens, hmm. Love the idea of a handle.

Good to hear that Emma is home even if on 'crate arrest.' Whining is a sign they feel well enough to complain! That was one of the scariest parts of Monty's crisis. No whining until the very last day at the vets.

Honey, I've seen 'Jane' in Lowe's many years and would loved to have picked her up, but no space even though that whole 'girl' series stays small. Your yard looks glorious!

Brenda, I'm so glad that you're back posting regularly. I really enjoy hearing your farm life stories :-)

GB, I had a 'cat litter emergency' yesterday too! I switched to World's Best Cat Litter this winter and use maybe one 20 pound bag a month for 3 cats. It is that good! No silica or dust or anything bad, it's made from corn so very safe and no perfumes. Best part is not lugging those 40 pound plastic tubs around.

Sounds like the CT and MD swaps were on the same day this year. I dumped a bunch of stuff and it all went, that's all I ask - good homes for my waifs. It was a beautiful day, and I scored three tomato plants and a clivia. My goal was to get rid of plants, have some good garden talk, a couple of burnt hot dogs and go home with nothing but tomato plants. I was going to pot the tomatoes up when I got home, but the retaining wall garden was screaming 'clean me up' so I worked my fingers off there instead. I have one stiff swollen finger this morning and think I may have left a thorn in it, but can't find it now.

Guess I need to tame the front lawn first today and then deal with the tomatoes. I still have stuff in the gh to pull out, but have left the door open for about a month now as it heats up in there. Week-ends are too short!

Best to all, Cynthia

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I don't have much to say, just popping in.

Chelone, nice to hear about plants - fun to see how our different growing conditions affect the plants! It'll be time for me to harvest the LOV for my florist neighbor by the end of the month.

I worked at my neighbor's instead of my own garden. Sometimes that is more fun. We put in lots of delphiniums and campanula as well as herbs. We talked up a storm and caught up after the winter season.

Sarah's extra chipper and Jake has an attitude like no other. I wish you could hear him answer every remark with a smart alec, "what???". I thought I might have to grab him by the ear in the store today and show him WHAT. LOL...only about 10 more years before I get to meet the real Jake. He's 13, smells like sour milk, and talks to me like I'm a rock. Phew....

Gotta go put the frozen pizza in the oven (LOL!) and get this bunch to bed. I still live for Monday when the house is empty.

'night all,
    Saucy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Another lovely day and more garden work and visits with friends.

First we watered all 20+ trees planted yesterday...a big job driving water containers to the far field.

DH discovered the problem with the mower, a corn cob wedged where it should not be that dislodged the fan belt and popped a spring. The Kubota guy comes tomorrow for repairs.

This afternoon we visited gardening friends to see their amazing updates. No photos this time, but a very personal space with wonderful plantings, a pond, pergola, etc. My clematis buddy was there too and delivered 6 tiny clematis for me. Like I need more? But of course! :-) They gave me a small plant (shade, forgot the name) and a small oak stem which DH and I planted after dinner this evening.

I also picked up bamboo stakes at the nursery to mark the small spruce plantings, and just happened to pick up a few other things as well, among them a nice Ghost fern, some small eupatoriums, a pink nepeta... DD phoned to say that she too went shopping for plants with DSIL and marveled at how he loves to choose plants too. WOW! What a concept. This guy is too good to be true! Unfortunately he leaves town for 2 weeks tomorrow and I worry that DD will try to lift rocks and pots and mulch etc while he's away. Grrrr. They picked up a Dwarf Alberta spruce ("It is so soft and fluffy but only about 1.4' tall. I want to give it a hug!") I think she's truly hooked.

I am enjoying Honey's magnolia...something that's just too iffy here. The stellata were in glorious bloom near Woody's place on Saturday though. Much warmer at her place than here.

Oh Saucy, I do not envy you your 13 year old. The only thing worse would be to BE 13 once more!!! I was fairly lucky during their teen years...except I was the nasty one with menopause then. :( (TMI)

Charlotte is really lethargic but managed to follow us about all weekend. She perks up when she sees voles though.

No wine here...so water is all for me now!
    Enjoy the last bits of weekend!
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Did someone ask where is V? Most likely she is at work...

I'll spare you all the boring details except to say it's been very, very busy and I come home exhausted every day. So what do I do on my "day off"? Flag brush to be cleared, pull garlic mustard and dame's rocket in the woods, lay down a stone stream bed and plant a rain garden at the end of it.

I did a quick scan and was glad to see Saucy's name pop up again, and am very sorry to hear of the medical woes besetting Eden's family. And I must say hello to Sue, that old fart(er)! (Personally, I think that episode was revenge from all whom you have teased with the fart machine over the years!)

I'll leave you with one photo of the front woods, taken yesterday. Yes, the brush clearing is a lot of work, but scenes like this remind me that it is worth all the trouble.

{{gwi:149777}}

Later,

V.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Happy Sunday evening-cocktail hour for me . Im having a glass of cheap white wine and reflecting on all the events of the weekend. Drove my DS to the airport (Oakland) yesterday morning and was back home by 7am ( the airport is an hour trip each way) and then did the grocery store and the garden center. We were supposed to have mid to high 80this weekend, which we did , but it has been ungodly windy all weekend. Hate that ! There is something so annoying about wind when you are trying to work in the garden. I also went to the Antiques On Second annual garden sale I usually find something good I made a great find yesterday of a Bauer Pottery clay pot (I collect Bauer) which I never see anywhere . I also saw a library table that I would love to have for my (still unfinished) home office. I f it is still there tomorrow , Im going to buy it.
    Yesterday afternoon I noticed Doobie was spending way too much time pee-ing. He was going all over the garden, digging a spot, not covering it, and then shortly after repeating the process elsewhere. Looking into the spot there was no apparent liquid. Looks like a classic male cat urinary issue. Called the vet his morning and took him in this afternoonWhat a time I had getting him into the damn pet carrier. I put a bowl of human tuna in it, foolishly hoping he would stroll unsuspectingly in after which I would slam the door closed. No such luck .It was a wrestling match . I won, but just barely. He weighs almost 15 pounds so he is a large , powerful cat and I feel lucky that I got the better of him ! They are keeping him overnight to do x-rays and try to get a urine sample. Looks like crystals, but they want to rule out stones. So, there you go, another Idyll pet visits the animal hospital . Jeesh.

Honey, I loved you photos. Those red and white tulips are so festive ! Our Magnolias here have been done and over with for quite a while-fun to see yours in full glory.

Brenda , I too enjoy the reports of the farm doings. I feel very strongly about family farms and local produce, and I see a trend developing out here on the west coast. Our farmers market opened this week and I support it every year . I have only limited space to grow my own veggies , so what I dont grow I try to buy locally. I hope your season is a success !

Cynthia..thanks for the headsup on Worlds Best Cat Litter ! I did some research and went and got a bag today to try. When I was at the vet today one of the other patients was a beautiful solid charcoal color greyhound. Her name was Zelda. She looked very dignified (especially compared to Doobie, howling in the carrier) and It made me think of you and your brood. So what tomatoes did you get ?

Saucy, 13 year olds can be mighty awful ! I guess the enjoyable part of them is the curiosity and thirst for knowledge they have at that age. Such a turning point isnt it ? All I cared about when I was thirteen was the Beatles and reading Hemingway. Read almost everything he wrote that year .

Lovely pic of the woods V !

Nite all !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Yesterday had the most awful wind and we ended up with 2" of rain. The 10-day forecast includes 7 days of possible rain. It doesnt look like much gardening will get done. The garden shed though is getting pretty organized.

Thursday, Rick brought home a wagonload of mulch. I would like to lay cardboard and mulch down around the blueberry hedge so I dont have to mow around them. I also would like to lay some cardboard down with mulch to enlarge another area at some point in the future. Kenzies garden hasnt had any work done on it at all.

Cynthia, Im so sorry to hear Montys diagnosis.

Honey, your front garden is looking lovely. Glad to hear your feeling better.

Eden, I noticed a few lilacs opening up in the patio garden. I have a hedge around 2 sides and this is the first year that there are really a lot of buds.

Brenda, do you get in on the rock picking? They are as bad as dandelions arent they?

We have a duck spending the day on our front lawn.

We just got back from friends and were able to see the twin babies I mentioned before. They are just home from the hospital and are about 4.5 lbs each.

Since I started this hours ago, I best get it posted before the day ends here.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Yikes, zero degrees centigrade this morning which is of course 32F. I ran down to check my plants on the porch and they look OK, but brrrrrr. Sun is out, so things should warm up quickly.

DH has a PhD oral to deal with early today. I always think these things are best done early in the day and not dragged out til dinner time!

Littlegardenbug seems to have chimed in on my post above! Now that was a pleasant surprise! Now we need other MIA folks to pop in. Like T, Ei and others! It is so nice to have Saucy back. :-)

I've been following with concern over Monty's issues. Somehow I need to watch Cynthia's progress too because I've never had a dog before Charlotte and need to know how to proceed with warmth and grace when I really will be stressed and panicky. Every loving moment counts I guess...as with other friends, human or not.

A busy day ahead for me. Here's to a terrific week with nothing eventful at all: just sun, planting and good things accomplished on all fronts, leading up to Mother's Day, which even if you are not a Mom or have no Mother, is peak planting time!

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Good morning, Monday.... it sounds like we need to start a "Road to Wellness" thread for idyllers, families & pets - sheesh! Im sorry to hear so many still feeling poorly; Health Amnesty Saturday apparently didnt work too well....

I had the easiest, bestest drive up & back to PA -- what a relief -- even drove by that Comfort Inn reserved for the IU in July -- oddly enuf, it is the one of my infamous, not often told story of "The gas pump" - so remind me to tell you about it... one of my more embarrassing moments... I'll probably require a couple glasses of vino first though...

What's up w/ 40s in May? Im gonna whine some more about the weather -- planting geraniums, petunias, donated perennials & weeding the back 40 of at the parents was NOT fun in 40s & wind.... I hope the durned things survive and dont get frozen this week! sheesh - o well, what can we do, right? Add my mother to another on the sickly list - hoping she doesnt have pneumonia - a visit to the dr today will determine the next course of action -whether another visit to the hospital or some more drugs & home.

Wonderful spring photos, Honey & V -- to say nothing of course of the usual fantastic artistic ones of 'bugs. Wow -- it's enough to make Monday look cheerful! Like Cynthia, I have seen that Jane magnolia (at Lowes a week ago in 2-gallon pot for $12!) but have to keep slapping myself from buying it -- definitely no place for it at my yard. Im starting to think I need to start donating to my brothers or something so I can see these things vicariously, LOL.

Sue -- I agree w/ V -- I think your machine took revenge on you - who would have thought uh? Glad it was NOT a sponge, like Michelle mentioned - yucko!

Seriously, Eden -- Im so sorry to hear about your Mom's recurrence & Megan's diagnosis (but at least in that area, she'll probably feel lots better & less tired once she gets the treatment for the goiter) -- your Mom has a lot of spunk and loving family & I know that counts for a lot. It's amazing what therapy a garden can do for one's spirits isnt it? 5 minute walks makes life look a bit better no matter what.

Cynthia -- if I recall Monty is a little past middle-aged for a grey, isnt he? You & he have been very lucky to have found one another and I know you will both enjoy whatever time you guys have together to the fullest -- he was one lucky dawg to find you, though!

I guess I'll be lugging a water hose around tonite after work; didnt have a chance to do when I got home last nite -- im such a wimp, long drives & family visits are enervating to me - but at least I got some extra sleep last nite & feel not so bad for Monday. We have not had much rain this Spring at all and the stuff planted is looking pretty droopy.

Thanks for the wonderful pick-me-up photos !

Cindy

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

It just goes to show-Sometimes you just need a good fart to get you back on track : )...sorry Sue that you had to go through so much drama before you finally got relief! I was sitting on the edge of my seat for that one. Glad you are OK!!

I do feel horrible that I haven't been here enough-it's especially upsetting when one of us needs support and I've missed the opportunity. (((Eden))) So sorry about your mom's worrisome news. You know she's got my prayers.
    And poor Meg!I had that exact thought about mono being connected to the thyroid situation. I wonder if it is.

HI Saucy! : )It's good to have you around again-I hope you can keep up-I'm going through the same thing trying to read and comment. It's hard and I feel like i'm forgetting so much. Good to hear Sarah's on the mend. You must frequent the idylls more so you can prep me for when Aj hits 13...the weirdness seems to be starting already lol.He's just 11.
    Cynthia-how sad about Monty! When you described what had happened to him at the vet I really did start to think the worst-sorry that is the case. Can he be helped at all?

MOnique I hope Emma stays steady on the road to recovery-she missed you horribly so now that she's home I hope that helps her get better much more quickly. There's no place like home: )

My most exciting event is that Chris and I have painted half the garage!...and we're still speaking lol.

V-LOVE love LOVE the trillium!!

GB I found red trillium in our woods for the first time a couple weeks ago-they are gorgeous!

Deanne-that finch is beautiful-what a spectacular shot with the Rhodos as a backdrop.

Hey my peas are climbing : )

I hate to go but work calls...

~Babs

• saucydog
    16 years ago

V., the trilliums are glorious! I too am pulling garlic mustard as well as bittersweet. Pretty soon the mosquitoes will keep me from the woods.

Babs, I can totally sympathize with going back to work after staying home. Now I'm twice as busy. I am lucky to be able to run my laundry while I invoice :)

I am sorry to hear about so many pet woes, too. I have a cat that tears up my arm trying to get her in a carrier. Once she escaped in the car and I feared for my life since she decided she needed to be on the dashboard in front of me - hissing and spitting with ears flat to the head. When I got to the vet I jumped out and let them handle the cat.

My bird feeder has been hopping! Lots of gold finches and blue jays. My favorites are the ever chipper chickadees.

Well, I guess I'd better put the flank steak on the grill and steam the broccoli. No one's even inside yet :)

Have a good night.

Saucy

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good grief,

Yesterday after getting home totally exhausted from the last day of my three day seminar, I arrived to find my Rahjii kitty limping very badly and holding his left paw up off the ground even when sitting down. So, off to the vets with him, sorry I had to LOL over all the stories about getting kitties into carriers as it is the same thing here. Rahjii is only 13.5 pounds but it is solid muscle and he is like Spiderman with all four feet grabbing the opening of the carrier. You get one body part in and then another snakes out Anyway, he has a cut on the bottom of the pad of the foot and $174.00 and an hour later we got home with the cat and antibiotics to keep it from getting infected. It didnt need any stitches but was fairly deep so we dont want to risk an infection. Good grief! I was seriously NOT happy that they cut his claws without asking me and then charged me $35.00 for the service I didnt want them to do in the first place. I dont want my cats claws trimmed. The kitties obviously use them and poor Rahjii has fallen off his tower twice today trying to jump and catch on. Anyway what a drama and not what I was planning to do with my evening last night.

The gardens are finally really coming to life here and stuff is growing and filling in. Im really missing that Jack Frost though so Im going to go on a search mission tomorrow to see if I can find a nice large specimen to replace the one that died. ~~ the Sambucus is absolutely smothered with buds this year as well as the wisteria tree. I just cant wait to see the wisteria. There are hundreds of buds on what is normally a pretty sparse blooming specimen. It should be spectacular.

Eden, yes, I finally did plant the large urn in the driveway garden today. It is my first container of the season and Im hoping it lives up to my expectations. That urn is so front and center and a focal point in that garden so it needs to be dramatic.

The lily bugs are horrific this year and Ive been squishing them by the dozen every day. The plants are loaded with eggs already as well so Ive been policing the plants for any egg masses. Speaking of lilies, I planted a dozen, top sized Casa Blanca Oriental lilies in the shed garden last fall and guess what? Not one of them has emerged. Arrrrghhh!!!! That entire area of the garden is swiss cheese full of rodent holes so I guess the dam ed meadow voles ate them over the winter. Sometimes I could just give up.

Bug, my sympathies with the temps this AM. We actually had a frost here last night too! What a drama when I realized that we were going to freezing last night and did an emergency hauling in of all the tender plants outside. There are probably a couple hundred that had to be moved and not all of them are small plants. So now tomorrow they are saying that it is going to get up to 84 degrees. What is with this weather????? We havent had any rain in a few days and all the raised beds are dry so Im going to have to get out the sprinklers tomorrow.

Hi Babs, so happy you liked the finch in the Rhododendron pic! I also got one of the bright yellow male in the PJMs and like that one better. The bright yellow against the flowers is so pretty.

Cynthia, Thinking of you and Monty and all your wonderful furbies. Im so terribly sorry it isnt good news.

Michelle, I was wondering how much rain youve gotten out your way. They said that one place, I think it was South Dakota or Idaho, cant remember, but anyway they got 8" of rain in the last 24 hours. Yikes! Horrible flooding. We were in that gray, gloomy and rainy weather pattern May last year, sorry you are having to deal with it.

Kathy, sorry about Doobie, he sounds like quite a character. BTW, I ROTFLOL when I read you put tuna in the cat carrier in hopes to trap your kitty Dream on ~~~~ BTW, I absolutely hate the wind also. Dont know why it makes me really cranky and irritable.

V. great to see you. Those Trillium are stunning!

Honey, thanks for the lovely spring pics.

Eden, Ive got another couple weeks before I see lilacs.

OK Im waving hello to everyone else and am going to get my jammies on and tuck myself in with a good book. (Well good is a relative term, I think its going to be a stupid science fiction fantasy)

Good night all,
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Okay, got up, went to work. Called the antique store and told them to put a hold on the library table. Interviewed 2 prospective employees. Watered feverishly at lunchtime because its HOT . Called the vet. Doobie is on special food for awhile to help dissolve his crystals. Also antibiotics .Picked him up and gave the vet 241 dollars. Went to the dentist where I had my final section of deep root planeing. Gave the dentist some money too. I now have two kittie antibiotics (one for BooBoo, one for Doobie) plus Tashas insulin in the fridge. Where will I put the beer ??? Going to have a baked potato for dinner since half of my mouth is non-operational.

So I guess maybe we should look ahead ..how about June is *Official Healthy Idylls Month*. Surely we will all feel better by then ?

Deanne, Rahjii at the vet too? Whats up around here anyway? I have to take Doobie in for a follow-up in ten days. Im already starting to plan my technique for getting him into the carrier. That is really too bad about your Casa Blancas. Mine have all dwindled away and I currently have none;some were victims of the shovel during various renovations, and some rotted out over our soggy winter. You remind me that I need to replenish- they are so majestic when you have a nice sized clump-not to mention the perfume. I do however have many other lilies, and one of them already has buds.

Michelle, I love the cardboard/ mulch method of weed suppression. Sometimes I use newspaper. Its very effective for me.

Hi Babs, nice hear from you ! Painting half the garage is an accomplishment! Im still not finished painting the home office I started working on in December! Not to mention several other household projects.

Looks like this is all for tonight. My best to everyone.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    16 years ago

I have only given things a quick skim this morning, will "read for comprehension" at a future point in time (after my coffee?).

Spencer (my doodle-kin boy-boy) is about Rahji's size and while getting him into the carrier presents no great obstacle, keeping him in it is more problematic. He is strong enough and smart enough to hook the door with his paws and then pulls it toward him. He's snapped the plastic hinges and lock mechanisms on two so far. No more cheapies for our Spencie! Deanne, I ALWAYS tell the vet. techs to leave the cats' nails alone. It takes them a long time to get them honed to piercing perfection. :)

Kathy, it was an expensive day for you, wasn't it? not to mention uncomfortable. Here's hopin' that will be it for the planeing for some time to come. I forked over just under $300 for a brake job... it was squealing loudly on Friday.

After nearly 4 years with minimal digging/dividing I received the rude awakening that gahdenin' here on the compound is a "full contact sport". My arms, wrists, and quads are sore! I pried the Perovskia out of the ground (2 and they're huge, Deanne?) and potted them up. I dug a Hemerocallis and carved it into 4-5 big (2-3 gallon) divisions, planted a hunk of it somewhere else. The big event though was relocting the Eupatorium that achieved 8' last summer. The root ball was about 20" across and about 18" deep, HEAVY and awkward. Then I moved on to the while Phlox my bass has given me over the past two years. I plunked them in where the Perovskia had been. I jug the Ajuga out of the Sanitary Ridge lawn and relocated that. I pried dandilions out of the ground and was greeted by a new crop yesterday (where do they come from?). I hear you on the Lily Leaf Beetles, Deanne. I found 2 yesterday, the first wave is "hittin' the beaches". And it's really dry here; the rains will arrive just as the poppies and peonies are beginning to bloom. ;)

I have to get to work, maybe finish the first of my 4 awnings, too. A stellar day to all my friends across the country.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all, and a scrumptious morning it is, 50 degrees out already and heading into the 90's. I've given myself permission to take the day off and go plant shopping then 'play' in the garden. Sooooo... much to do and so little time. I'm bummed out that my buddleia in the terrace garden has also bitten the dust. It was alive prior to that last cold snap we had and in fact was showing some live growth. I guess it couldn't deal with the see-saw temps over the winter and the last cold did it in. ~~ Noticed that the hydrangea peitolaris is going to exceed my expectations this year also, interesting that things that had only bloomed sparsely in the past are smothered wiht buds this year.

Chelone, I LOL over the Spencer/carrier story. Luke used to get himself out of his 'container'. It is one of those zippered jobs and he'd get a claw in the spot where the zips came together and pull and eventually got a spot big enough to get a whole paw out and the rest was history. Crazy cat roaming the vehicle. I can indentify with Saucy and the cat on the dashboard, Luke would chose to either block my view of the road or get under the gas and brake pedals. ~~ Oh yes, I laughed at your pet name for Spence because we call Rahjii 'Doodle-bug'.

So Chelone, yes, I'd still love the Perovskia. WE'll have to arrange a 'meet'.

Monique, you are the master of late blooming plants, do you have a suggestion for what to replace the buddleia in the terrace garden? Preferably a blue blooming shrub. I don't have much luck with Caryopteris and there are already agastache in the level above it.

Kathy, sorry about the dental stuff. My worst nightmare (my dentist's as well)My two crowns were traumatic. I need two more but am procrastinating nicely. ~~ Good grief, how are you keeping all those antibiotics straight? ~~ RE Casa Blancas, you are so right about the impact and scent of them. The clump I was trying to replace used to have about ten stems or so and they'd get to be six feet tall with fourteen flowers per stem. It was unbelievable when it was in bloom. I'm thinking I'm going to have to plant them in a bulb cage but how the heck would those huge stems grow out of the mesh of the cage? And if you had a cage large enough the rodents could get in. Sigh...

Okie dokie Ive got to get my sorry self to the gym. have a great day everyone.

Deanne

• flowerluvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Morning all!
    A little groggy this morning-we put in a long day yesterday...I lost track of how many acres I covered, but the guys say I had a really good day. A hose fitting broke on the implement I've been dragging around at about 9:00 last night. The guys were hunting up a replacement, and I told em to have fun, I was heading for the house. Got home, and Sarah, the youngest of the dogs, had gotten into something dead, so I soaked her down with warm vinegar water and left her tied up to dry. By the time I took a shower and threw something together for supper, she was dry and smelled MUCH better. The vinegar trick is something I learned from the vet..will even work on skunk smell! Ate, fell into bed, and am ready for a repeat performance. (Might as well be ready, cuz it's gonna happen whether I'm ready or not, lol!)
    Have a good day, everyone, it's time to make the doughnuts :)
    Brenda

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hello everyone

No staff meeting this morning so I can grab a few minutes to Idyll. I'm only partly caught up on reading but I did catch a few things of importance during my skim. I'll enjoy the other details later.

Eden - I'm so sorry your mother's new was not what you had hoped for. I've no doubt that with her courage and all your support she will make it through the next hurdle. You are the most amazing family the way you care and support each member are an example to us all. Hope DD is on the mend too.

Cynthia - sad too to hear about Monty's condition - many thoughts to you and others with ailing pets.

Saucy - your new business is perfect for both of you and I'm sure will continue to do fabulously. Annie will be 14 on Thursday - I hear you on the bumpy teenage years. And I thought it might be easier with boys.........

Sue - I was relating your recent emergency room visit to DH (who loves a good fart story) when David overhead me. He found the story the funniest thing he had ever heard and has been repeating it to all his friends. You have become the hero of all the 10 year old boys LOL! Fortunately he doesn't know your last name so anonimity has been preserved. I did see him eying another friend of mine called Sue with admiration though fortuantely he didn't ask her for more details.

Oops - time to scoot. We are having the msot amzing weather and I've been enjoying the garden more than ever.

Have a great day

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Another sunny day...and a warm one at that. My days of gardening without bugs is drawing to a close I fear.

I am in pensive mode. Our friend passed away last week from complications after his treatment for pancreatic cancer four years ago. He was a quality guy, quality life, just too darned short. I'm really annoyed about his shortened stay on earth, an earth he worked hard to protect. He was a DO- er, a writer, a teacher, a physicist, a father and husband and so much more. You may think 67 is old....but it was way too young for this fine person! His wife joked that she is annoyed that he never finished building the house they lived in that they began together some 30 years ago. Well, she has a wonderful attitude. She's been mourning his loss for 3-4 months now, but it is always a surprise even when you have warning.

Enough for now.
    bug

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

I am officially putting Chloe under a protective bubble/shield until Idyll pets have all recovered..... pls advise when the quarantine can safely be lifted.

The chill mornings are playing havoc w/ my blooming clematis -- poor Niobe that is littered w/ blooms & buds was seriously drooping -- since it's a 5 yr old I doubt it's "wilt" but suffering from the cold, cold mornings we've had - bizarre for May here. I am taking comfort in seeing Spanish Bluebells blooming in 2 areas of the back garden though -- I probably planted those bulbs 3 or more years ago and this is the first time flowering! I'd truly given them up & figured they were a flop - they're just a tiny patch but so pretty! (probably 8 out of 50 original bulbs, but ya gotta love 'em, LOL).

Speaking of oriental lilies, I have really been startled as well here that my clumps are looking incredibly huge, healthy & have increased a lot since last year -- and this is for ones I planted in June I think - go figure. So apparently somethings are liking the weather, just not the ones I was expecting. Deanne, I remember your stunning photos w/ the Casablancas; you definitely need to re-install. They're smashing - to say nothing of sooo wonderful for our noses.

Brenda, whenever I am flagging and think I've had a hard day, I am going to think of you -- the physical labor & long hours you put in & then come home to deal w/ stinky dogs & dinner make you into the superwoman category in my book!

Chelone -- I had to dig out 4 yr old clumps of Eupatorium a few years ago & I can't imagine what your older ones were like -- it was like digging thru bedrock -- I cussed and fussed -- and it kept coming back; eventually I had to put plastic over it for several months (after round-up!) to get rid of it -- so take heart, you could just take one little piece & it will survive, trust me. I've had luck w/ potting pieces of baptisia too (altho it was probably not too old a plant)so it may be yours will bloom after a little sulk. I love that plant too -- talk about low maintenance for big bang! Im pretty enamoured of the B. Purple Smoke I bought last month too -- they come in such lovely colors these days w/ all the hybridization going on.

I sure hope all others are finally really on the mend -- pets and people alike -- I think it sounds like everyone has had more than their fair share of this stuff! And donations to car shops and vets has been more than adequate.

I've got a staff meeting this a.m. -- more changes and announcements -- we have a new HR head (it's somewhat of a revolving door in this firm) and they always come in and want to "make their mark" and starting changing and re-inventing the wheel -- especially the ones who have only a corporate background & have never worked in a law firm -- bad decision usually -- but Im trying to be philosophical & know that whatever new craziness they're announcing, it's sure to be a repeat or something that will cycle out eventually! However, the latest rumor seems to be the placement of "hall monitors" on each floor to monitor "work flow", can you imagine -- it sounds like floor nazis to me. Like we're kids in elementary school instead of highly paid, experienced professionals! While I dont personally expect to be a recipient of this micro-managing, I just philosophically feel strongly opposed to such ideas. Well, guess I'll know for sure in an hour (& will try to keep my trap shut about whatever they announce, LOL)...

Cindy

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

I'm having a traumatic afternoon, lol. The power company is cutting the branches off the power lines that run along the back of the garden. They've been at it for a couple of hours and are taking a break right now. They're being really careful, the guy goes up in a basket and is basically putting everything he cuts in the basket with him and then manuevering the basket into the neighbor's field behind me before he throws it down. They're taking down alot of the tree though and making my back shade gardens quite sunny. I don't think my hostas are going to like that. The poor tree looks like a skeleton of it's former self. Oh boy, I hear the saw revving up again.

I've been out potting up dahlias, caladiums, cannas and trying to resurrect a couple of brugs. I've got them cut back and bareroot soaking in a bucket of water laced with root stimulator. They were really dried up but the roots seem healthy so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

Still no sign of life from the musa basjoo.

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Newly born Siberian tiger cubs are weighed at the Siberian Tiger Park in Harbin, China.

{{gwi:155449}}

Charlotte goes to the vets tomorrow. Cross fingers and toes please.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Well bug, I must say those little baby tigers look a lot more docile than Doobie! Of course he doesnt like his special food that I got from the vet. However, he seems to be feeling a bit better and he has taken his antibiotics like a champ.
    Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend.

Cindy, I have tried to no avail to dig out Eupatorium. I love the plant, but it just gets way too big for my garden. There is really nothing quite like those maroon stems and the architectural presence it lends. Think maybe Ill try your plastic method. The only other alternative is to hire someone to dig it outwith a back-hoe ala Chelone !

So this is about it for me tonight- I have to finish my wateringGreetings to all.

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

What a lovely evening. Since it is too wet for farming, Rick helped me the last 2 nights. We added shelves to a cabinet he bought me for the garden shed last night and he helped with the vegetable garden tonight. We also went asparagus hunting on the 4 wheeler.

bug, so sorry about the loss of your dear friend. You apparently thought very highly of him.

Deanne, sorry about the vet bill and the sore foot. The image of trying to get him in the carrier is hilarious though. We are quite fortunate here, as there is severe flooding in SW IOWA and also in NE SOUTH DAKOTA, which are on either side of us.

Kathy, it sounds like an expensive week for you.

Cindy, I hope your mom turned out ok at the Dr. pneumonia isnt a good thing for the elderly. "Hall monitors" they have to be kidding right?

Babs, since your peas are climbing, I felt guilty enough to actually plant mine tonight.

Eden, at least the tree trimmer seem to be sensitive to your garden. I hope all survived ok. Sorry about the musa bajoo, hopefully it shows up.

This morning I got up about 15 minutes early to be able to fit in a garden walk. Everything is coming to life so nicely that I just need to take time to just stroll. That means I should try to get to bed at least 15 minutes earlier right? Night all.

Michelle

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all, a gorgeous, sunny, summery morning. Im going to play in the gardens ALL day. I found some Jack Frost yesterday so Im going to dig out the dead ones and put in the newbies. Also found some Ajuga Caitlands Giant which I was looking for. Doug is supposed to take me plant shopping on Sunday. Can you see me rubbing my hands together?

Eden, So sorry about the tree! I so know how that feels. Two years after we moved here they clear cut the mature Whit Pine/Oak forest behind out home which was one of the reasons we bought here. If anyone ever buys the house next door and cuts those pines down my whole shade area will be facing the sun from the West so that shade area would be toast as well. ~~ Ive got to get my callas, cannas, dahlias etc. etc. etc potted up today also. I dont know how Im going to fit it all in.

He Brenda, dont work too hard, thinking of you on your big machines.

Mary, your story of Davids reaction to Sues fart emergency had me ROTFLOL! Too funny

Bug, so sorry about your friend. ~~ Yep, the black flies are mosquitoes are out here today also. ~~ Those tiger cubs are just about as cute as it gets!

Cindy, Hall Monitors?????!!!!!!! Good grief! As you said, sounds like grade school. Doug recently started working for a new project manager for one of his clients and she started the meeting with a Meet and Greet where all the people participating had to talk about their hobbies, pets etc. etc. I was absolutely astonished! They spent over an hour of two VERY expensive consultants time talking about pets!!!! I told Doug that I felt there was no hope for the project if this is how she started her first meeting.

Kathy, I cant even imagine how huge eupatorium would get in CA with all that warm weather and sunshine. Yikes, a back hoe indeed to remove it. I wouldnt want to tackle the job. I only grow E. Little Joe and Chocolate and they are nicely behaved plants.

Michelle, so glad to hear you are OK and not affected by that flooding. Its just terrible and I feel for all those dealing with it. ~~ Im soooo jealous of your garden shed and potting area.

Okie Dokie Ive got to go and get ready to head out to the dentists for a cleaning then Im spending my day up to my armpits in the dirt. LOL

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I'm off to the vet's with Charlotte and MeToo. Keep fingers and toes crossed. (I'm posting this on the old thread. The next thread will need to deal with WELLNESS)

Deanne, do you have a shot of E.Little Joe to show me?

It is overcast and warm so far. Last night I saw a turtle! Small, but real! The frogs are making their noises, the muskrats and groundhogs are all about. Seen yours again Eden?

Anyone seen Ei? Maybe she's on a concert tour...
    Happy walkin' Sue!
    Later,
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

Yesterday's beautiful day turned into one of sadness when I heard from DH that two friends of ours from our time in NYC had died. Both had children Annie's age. One passed away at the weekend from a massive heart attack and was discovered by his 13 year old son, the other in a car crash in CA when his car came off the road. Sadly the police report stated the car must have been travelling at excessive speed (our friend loved fancy cars and driving fast) and left me wondering if the accident could have been prevented. Both men were wonderful fathers, talented phtographers, full of life and love and left this world too far too soon. I thought of their wives and children all day. I took some of my anger out on a massive yew in our driveway - giving it a severe pruning that felt surprisingly theraputic. Today I will write letters.

I'm sneaking this in at the end of the thread feeling bad to start the day with something so down. I'll stop by later with positive thoughts - I just needed to let this out first.

The sun is shining and I'm off to walk through the garden and enjoy spring's beauty before leaving for work.

Mary