Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs_clare

Hocking Pics

babs_clare
16 years ago

I decided to put this here so I wouldn't overload the regular idyll thread.

These are some pics from our easter break trip to Hocking Hills,OH a few weeks ago-I think it was Cynthia that asked for visuals. Since I was busy having fun I didn't get the volume of pics I normally would.

{{gwi:155455}}
This was our cabin. Behind us the deck wraps around the back and there's balcony off of which we could cast our fishing line into a pond directly below-very cool. To the bottom left of this shot you can see the edge of the pond. I think there's one pic I didn't upload that shows what I mean-I will add that later.

{{gwi:155456}}
This is a view off the top rim of Conkle's Hollow-you can see the sandstone in the foreground which makes up the rim-if you walked to the edge you'd look down a steep 200 feet-photography doesn't do it justice. The hiking trail is essentially three or four feet from this stone edge for much of the first half of the 2-1/2 mi. trail. The plant life up there is really amazing-many conifers such as Virginia pine & hemlock for sure. To think that these trees are growing in the shallow pits of soil & sand ontop of standstone is something to think about-many of the trees had a bonsai-like appearance-very gnarled and stunted. Lots of mossy carpeting too in areas. I was in such awe that I didn't get pics of half of what I saw there.

{{gwi:155457}}
Well,I did find this chunk of a guy: )Isn't he CUTE? There were whole areas big enough to lay on that were completely moss covered with the type of moss shown near Mr. Toad.I also found moss that was pale bluegreen-I've never seen that before. I do have a pic of that if anyone wants to see it.

{{gwi:155458}}
The guys-four feet beyond AJ is the drop off.I kept thinking as he leaned on that tree, 'that better be a strong tree.': ) I was pretty proud of Ryan since he kept focus and listened well on such a potentially dangerous terrain-or else we'd never had done it. Notice how Chris(who's afraid of heights)has BOTH hands on him!

Hope you liked a glimpse of my trip! more pics to come.

~Babs

Comments (15)

• denisez10
    16 years ago

What an idyllic spot, Babs...can't get much better than fishing off the porch!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting those! The critter is cool, and yes I did notice that moss. I'm up for the blue moss if you do another round. I think I need to go read about Hocking Hills, it really does look unusual and special.

Boys are so tall!

• chelone
    16 years ago

AJ has your smile. And YOU have a handsome family. I breathe a little bit easier when I remind myself that so many of you have kids and there IS hope for the world. Thanks!

I love toads, salamanders, frogs... I just really like animals (except dogs).

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the pond side of the cabin.
    {{gwi:155459}}

This pic almost looks like it's fall but it's just some oaks still holding onto their leaves. The plants were only just starting to bud up-and the peepers were surprisingly loud. Later we realized that just down the road there was a swamp where the sound was coming from.
    {{gwi:155460}}

Cynthia,we found clumps of moss like this(it's golf ball sized) but the color in this pic doesn't appear as bluegreen as as it really was. I had wondered if it was growing on individual stones because of its shape-I didn't check because I didn't want to disturb its home. I saw another type of moss(no pic)that looked like teal sea coral and it was less pastel than the ball-like moss. I obviously need to research what it was I found: )
    {{gwi:155462}}

Two of my favorite colors here-mossy green moss(hmm redundant?) and bluegreen lichens on an interesting host.
    {{gwi:155463}}

Another example of the sandstone rim-lots of places to sit and think on a sunny warm afternoon.
    {{gwi:155466}}

I thought this was a cool tree ; )
    {{gwi:155467}}

~Babs

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Wonderful pics of a wonderful area. Sort of reminds me of the terrain, vegetation and critters here. Like Chelone, I too am fond of toads, frogs, lizards etc, And moss....:-)
    ( as you probably gathered from my mossy rock pic.) You took pics of the same things that I look for when out in the woods.
    I also agree....you have a handsome family ( including yourself).

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Ah Babs, what an attractive family and a beautiful setting !
    I particularly like the pic of the two young men in front of the pond-nothing fake or insincere about those smiles and the obvious affection...very cool.

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Two years ago we did a family gathering that was very very similar, just 4 months before Sarah's wedding. It is a great tradition, one I hope both our families continue for a long time. Rocks, trees, moss, critters and family help us through the rest of the year.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

What a wonderful spot to commune with nature and spend family time together. Your family are growing up so fast! What a handsome group of guys you have. Thanks for sharing all with us.
    Mary

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Wonderful pics of a gorgeous location! Thanks for posting these Babs! What fun!
    Deanne

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Aside from the fact that poor Chris does look absolutely ready to bolt as soon as the camera clicked, I can't think of a more wonderful, relaxing place to be with people you love so much. Thanks, Babs!! for taking me to a place I haven't been in years.

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Neat place, Babs. Through my internet travels a few months ago I happened on an album of someone's antique log cabin vacation in Hocking Hills and immediately started googling the area.

Are those the same boys I met a Honey's a few years ago? Jeez, they look like young men.

Thanks for the glimpse.

Sue

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I just did a google search of that area. What a gorgeous place! I found so many awesome pics. It caused me to think of all the equally marvelous spots in the USA and the rest of the world. I never got to see nearly all of those in my native State, and I will never see all of them in Arkansas. There just is not enough time!!!
    I added one gorgeous fall pic of Conkle's Hollow to My Pictures.
    You are so fortunate to get to go there.

• just_t
    16 years ago

Hello Babs!!!!! Wonderful photos and the boys have grown so much! I hope you'll have time to share more pics of this trip.

T.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Babs, you know how to pick a great vacation spot! I have always loved log cabins and think I could be pretty content to live in one. Especially with all the windows that one has. You all look quite relaxed and happy. Photo #1, self timer? Photo#3, AJ looks so confident and like he was really getting a lot out of the experience. Photo#5, the boys look like they actually get along. [g] What is the difference in ages? Love that moss ball! I am really getting into mosses and trying to encourage them in the garden. I just caught an episode of Gardener's Diary recently about 'The Moss Lady' from Richmond VA, who had an acre of moss in her very wooded 5 acre lot. Very cool to see that much moss used as a lawn. Thanks for sharing your photos. I love to see faces to go with the names!

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I can see why you like going there. I love how the cabin is right on the ponds edge. You are such a happy and attractive family.

Michelle