Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll #501..Got Flowers ?

dodgerdudette
12 years ago

Bet we all have some ! Carry on friends ..

Comments (101)

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kathy when I see all your beautiful roses it makes me second guess getting rid of most of mine but too late now. I had the two Cindy mentioned,also Souvenir de la Malmaison, Fredinand Pichard, quite a few of David Austin's...but they were so much work and dangerous for the grandkids in my small garden. The only two I still have are Heritage and Eden. I sure do love looking at yours!

Marie, lots of pretty blooms on the farm. I noticed yesterday that my double bloodroot is blooming. I don't have the single. Wish I did.

Cindy, we keep putting off the car buying fun. Hate that job! I can't believe you're having such warm weather when it's been so below normal here. Don't know which is worse.

Chelone, lots going on there on the Compound. Looking good! We have a couple of those bigger jobs to do this year, replacing a privacy fence along one side of our property and some tree trimming. Brad can do the fence but we'll have to have someone come in for the trees. I always feel good when those big but no fun jobs are done. They're easy to put off but make such a difference once you've taken care of them.

Michelle, are you planning on putting up another fence or trellis or leaving it open? Curious why you decided to take that one down? It does look pretty with the climbers on it in your photo. Bet you won't miss the basketball hoop and having more light in your shed will be nice. So sweet of Rick to bring you plants. Brad does that too and I always think how lucky I am.

We had beautiful weather all weekend. Brad was off so we got lots done in the garden. He washed the decks and brought out the outdoor furniture, cleaned the pond and got the pump running and dug out one of three big lilacs we're getting rid of. I did a lot of organizing in my shed and Bella's outdoor toy cupboard. Also got another area of the garden cleaned up. Still quite a bit of that to go but it's getting done bit by bit. I also went through the extensive pot ghetto I had left over from last year. I lost a few lilies to rot but everything else looks like it came through. Surprising since much of it was in 4" pots that I had just grouped together out on the patio. Guess all that snow cover was a good thing. Looks like lots of rain here for the rest of the week so gardening is on hold again. I'd love to get some of the tropicals out but am hesitant with the crazy weather we've been having. I'm not trusting Mother Nature too much this year. Quiet week here with no child related activities planned until the weekend.

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Would love to do a nice chatty post tonight, but it�s almost bedtime ..a few words and maybe a bit more tomorrow. I spent this evening putting up a new post on the blog and WALATing , and crossing another chore off the list

Eden, Reinne des Violettes is thornless but not sure what her hardiness zone is. She is the first to leaf out here, usually in February. I will say my children grew up in a garden with 50 plus roses from the time they were babies, and there was never a single issue with thorn wounds. Not with them anyway-I�m a different story, lol.

Pondering Michelle's new opportunity.

Waves to all,

Kathy in Napa

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

That's right, Kathy. I'd forgotten that one was thornless. I don't know, I could easily see one of the little toddlers grabbing or falling into one of the thorny ones. Lack of time to care for them when I had Bella here so much was also a consideration. If I had a large garden I'd definitely have a "rose garden" in it.

• jak1
    12 years ago

Good Morning, my Idyll friends!

So nice to see/hear all of the Spring news. For once we had a nice gardening day yesterday, and it was also one for which I had absolutely zero committments. Overcast, warm, humid, no kids or men (*LOL*)and a forecast of rain for the next five days meant that I was out in the garden all day. Most beds are cleaned up, lawn is raked, dog spots composted and seeded. Shed is still a mess, and it stinks too, as a bunny family decided to live under it all winter. Lawn furniture is clean and arranged and the wine deck is ready! Planted the peas (thought of Woody); checked all of the clems (thought of Marie), decided where to put the banana when I take it out, soon I hope, thought of Deanne and Saucy; shovel pruned a few shrubs (thought of Chelone), and wished something would hurry up and bloom (thought of the rest of you but especially Kathy). You folks were in my thoughts all day!

Our Easter was pleasant and low key. DD took TCS to her house for a night, DS worked right through the weekend, DH and I managed a great brunch in peace on Saturday. DD and TCS arrived here mid afternoon on Sunday, did the egg hunt and we were able to sit outside with a glass of wine while the turkey cooked. All in all, very good.

Back to the JulieJobs this week, but could use a DebbieDay *LOL*.

I wonder if it is too early for me to put in the beet and carrot seeds. Hmmmmm, might just have to don the boots and rain jacket and see.

I hope you all have a great day!

Cheers,

Julie

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

Wow Julie! You did all that in one day? It would take Brad and I together a week to get all of that done. Superwoman you are! You reminded me I need to feed my clems. Maybe later today if the rain lets up. That can be my JJ for the day.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

You've all been very busy/productive! Gardening here is frustratingly on hold again - now because of rain! In the past few days we've went from having a below average rainfall for April to being on the high side - and rain in the forecast for the next few days too.

The most productive thing I've done in the last couple of days is to finally finish a sweater I started for Randy 3-4 years ago! My tendonitis in my right arm got worse just as I started it, so I could only do about 4 rows a day. I'd get bored with it after awhile and put it aside for months at a time, then feel guilty and pick it up again, do a bit, get bored, put it aside.... But it's finally done and I probably won't do another one!

This picture doesn't show it well, but it turned out that it almost exactly matches the color we painted the kitchen a year or so ago! The sweater is cotton and there is a pattern of diamonds between rows of a knobbly sort of rib. The pattern doesn't show in the picture unfortunately. I found the pattern boring to knit, which was partly why it took so long to finish the sweater. I prefer patterns that incorporate multiple colors.
    {{gwi:155663}}

It's thundering Randy says, so I'd better shut down the computer now...

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

As Woody indicated, it is rain, rain, rain and thunderstorms here. I went to Belgian Nursery this morning and picked up a clematis of all things! They just got in their order and have quite a few choices including Romantika...which really surprised me. I love that one with Huldine, which they also have! I won't be able to feed my clematis yet until the mud subsides. It takes a while to feed 200 of them....more than a quick Julie Job.

I picked up some seeds for peas and eggplant so may start those later on.

Woody, I like knitting solid colors these days now that my eyes are weaker, but need the design changes to keep up interest. Right now I'm doing an easy sweater for Leo with a two toned blue Aran yarn.

Spoke with DD last night and it seems they had a fine long weekend. They had a joint birthday party at DSIL's brother's ranch. DSIL made the dinner, they managed to both do snow mobiling and hiking in sunshine! Skyler received many small cheap gifts (more than Sarah would have wished) and Ivy was given a bubble machine which delighted her. Last night it was back to homework for Skyler with his wicked stepmom.

My thoughts are with Michelle concerning her Wednesday project start-off. Everything crossed here for success! Can't believe you have YAT! (yet another trainee)

The groundhogs are out of their holes all about here...and raccoons are in both the barn and the driving shed (garage). I'm sure hoping there is no conflict with Phoebe!!! I saw a tree FILLED with turkey vultures too. Never saw that before.

Later gators,
    'bug

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Just a quick post, love all the flower pics and weather discussion... hasn't it been cold, wet, and cloudy this spring... I'm in the middle of a painting I have to teach this weekend so I've not had time to do anything except to water the indoor plants but I had to ask Bug, what exactly do you do or use to feed all those clematis???? Inquiring minds would love to know...

Waving hello to one and all... I'll post a pic of the new painting when finished, hopefully tomorrow.

Deanne

• saucydog
    12 years ago

A very Happy Birthday to Cynthia (cyn247) tomorrow! I'm just in from a long day of fun in the garden (no work today due to rain) followed by back to back appointments and then helping Jake make tapas for Spanish class tomorrow.

This Friday Sarah and I are going to NYC to meet Emma and do a little sight seeing. I'm jamming this week full to get it all done in time. I'm enjoying it all, though. I feel like my old self ;)

Thinking of you, friends!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Deanne I confess to using whatever is on hand, be it tomato fertilizer, rose fertilizer or even a box called "clematis fertilizer". The trouble is that boxes left in the garage over the winter are not supposed to be good after a freeze they say, so I've taken to keeping everything indoors for the past few years. And then some years, I simply skip it and everything seems to do fine anyway.

This afternoon I planted zinnia, eggplant and foxglove seeds indoors. I'm hoping some of them grow! Later I'll sow seeds like blue flax and gomphrena directly in the garden. Mine are ordinary mid pink ones, but I sure like the deep purples and oranges and other colours offered by other countries.

Looking forward to your new painting Deanne!
    Nighty night folks!

Here is a link that might be useful: gomphrena colours

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Well Saucy, you snuck in a post! Your week sounds ultra busy, but filled with fun things with your kids and travel too. Hope you have a grand time in spite of rain!

Tell me how you make tapas. I have no idea.
    When do you begin working with bees again? My DD took a couple of night classes last week on raising chickens and bee keeping too. Not that she needs to be any busier!

Time to hit the sack,
    'bug

• jak1
    12 years ago

Don't feel bad, Eden - remember that I have a small urban lot, all of the gardens were planted by me with some foresight about maintenance, all of my gardens are brick-edged, I don't have any trees to speak of, although I live next to a park, and I did a huge clean up last fall. So I am kind of ahead of the game right away!

I left a ton of indoor work for today as it was supposed to be heavy rain and wind all day. Of course it is bright, warm and sunny out, the gardens are pretty good, the house is a mess. Lesigh. I have already had my morning WALAT and coffee, so I have no excuse to put off the laundry.

Wow, gorgeous sweater, Woody! I can't stand the feel of a ball of yarn, no idea why, so I have nver knit. Knitted. TCS however is wearing beautiful sweater that my late Mom made for DS, TCS's Dad. Does my heart good.....

Didn't plant my seeds yesterday so that will definitly happen today. I have some tomato fertiliser in the stinky shed so I will likely give all of the clems a boost. My tomato plants under the lights are blossoming....are they ever going to be surprised in May when they migrate to the raised beds. Lupins from seed will likely go out today too.

I had better move along if I am going to feel like I did what I was supposed to do today!

Cheers,

Julie

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

So rainy here....again. Didn't get the clematis fed (I use Espoma Tomato Tone) but I went out for a quick WALAT around 6pm and ended up cleaning up one area and weeding the back fenceline. Came back in around 8 feeling like I'd accomplished something. My only other accomplishment yesterday was baking brownies.

Marie, so Ivy is now two. And Skyler must be 12? I'm guessing. We love bubble machines too! My theme for the kids birthday presents this year is outdoor toys and bubbles are definitely a part of that category around here.

Bella and I planted some seeds a couple of weeks ago for our miniature vegetable garden: tomatoes, peppers, eggplant among others. They were doing great until the cat got into them. Hopefully there are enough survivors left for the garden. I'm hoping to introduce Kate to planting seeds in the next couple of weeks. We're going to do some easy, big seeds in milk jugs so they can germinate outdoors. She'll like filling the jugs will soil I know. Bella will show her how, lol.

Saucy, good to hear you sounding so happy. How exciting that Sarah and Emma will be meeting. New York seems like the perfect place for it too. Tapas is appetizers right? I've heard of Tapas bars, lol.

Plans for the weekend here include taking Bella to a Fairy Festival if the weather cooperates. We went last year and she loved it. Lots of fairy gardens to look at, fairy stories read, edible flowers in her lunch and a May pole dance that all the children participate in among other things.

In other news, I need to order a load of mulch. Not looking forward to that job.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention to Woody that I really like Randy's new sweater. I'm more a fan of solid colored sweaters and I really like what can see of the pattern too. Nice work!

Just read Julie's post too. Julie, there's no way I can make myself stay inside on a beautiful day no matter how messy the house is, well unless I'm expecting company that I need to clean for. Beautiful days in the garden are not to be wasted no matter what (in my opinion). :) And all the things you mentioned that make spring clean up easy for you go for me too. Well, except for a couple of trees. Hmmm...I guess I make extra work for myself with the pond and fountains, fairy gardens and shuffling everything around from plants to garden art. I get bored easily! I'm not complaining though, I love working in the gardens. Especially in the springtime!

• drema_dianne
    12 years ago

I wanted to stop in for a second and tell you guys that I just got home from a window appt about 1/2 hour ago, and when I checked my email, there was a message from a local greenhouse with a tentative May schedule attached! This is strictly a very short term, seasonal job, but I am so excited!!! I didn't know this was coming. This morning I was lying in bed trying to think of what they call those Irish fortune tellers so I could set up a booth, LOL. I had really started thinking way outside the box. You would not believe how many resumes, etc I have sent out. Anyway, just wanted to share my news with you guys first! I'll get back to you later with details and comments on other posts.

• jak1
    12 years ago

Yay Drema!! Good for you!

Yes Eden, my house is still messy....Went out "just for a minute", saww a few weeds and grass where they should not have been, started tidying up, and I am sure you can tell where this is going....

Some critter is eating my crocii - just the green parts, it spits out the blossoms...ggggrrrrr.

I have almost nothing blooming yet; my pulsatilla is just starting to show, there are a few scilla, the hepatica has just unfurled and the pulmonaria is looking pretty. The hyacinths, daffs, greater fairy bells, trilliums are barely showing. Gee Whiz, it's nearly May. At this rate the weather will warm up really suddenly and everything will bloom and be gone in a day.

I hae put in my "order" for Mother's day: five bags of cedar mulch, three bags of stone dust, one clematis and an estimate for roofing the wine deck. I am pretty sure I can count on the first three.

My big adventure today consisted of canvassing my neighbourhood for the Cancer Society. The people here are relatively well off, are generous, and are happy to show you their homes and gardens. Actually a nice way to spend the evening.

OOOOH! Thunder and lightening!

Later,

Cheers,

Julie

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

I Love that sweater, Woody - the pattern is wonderful, and I can't believe you could pick it up and put it away like that; I'd forget all my habits re tension, etc... Really pretty.

Eden - I believe I put buying a car at the No. 1 item or close to as Most Hated Task - right above annual gyn appts and dentist visits. I'm just relieved at this point to have it over and feel I wasnt totally violated (as I have been in other car purchases, in my "salad days"). Just couldnt stand to cough up more repair moola for the old vehicle.

Drema - congrats! That's so fantastic - cant wait to hear the details.

Bringing up the clem fertilizer topic made me recall I meant to tell Kathy that Dr. Earth products have finally arrived in my area - I bought the one for roses - and tried it on a couple in the back but Stella was in love with it - I had to keep her out of the yard til we have some rains and the rest of the stuff back there is going au naturel this year -- I dont need any emergency vet visits, please.... I did pop some of the stuff on some in the front garden so I'll be interested to see how the done/versus nondone do this year.

We had a tornado warning in the area coming home tonite and the severe storms on their way for tomorrow - but hopefully that will then bring a weekend of 2 days of good weather -- yeeha - can't wait!! Hoping to just garden, garden this weekend.

Michelle - can't wait to see what you do around the shed - I bet that was so neat to discover the window and reopen it... are you planning to keep the roses and climbers in that area where the fence is gone? I guess you could do some tuteurs or some interesting open fence pattern that's artistic?

Okay - off to chill.

-cindy

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Morning one and all, well the new painting is finally finished. Woohoo! I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Today I've got to get the house cleaned up for my students this weekend, water all the plants upstairs and downstairs as I won't have time to do it until Monday, prep my teaching surface then I think I'll be ready. Lots to do. This work thing really gets in the way of my gardening.

So sad to hear about the dreadful weather down south. I don't recall a worse tornado year and Bug, you stay safe. We are supposed to get that line of thunderstorms later but aren't under any severe weather warnings yet. ~~~ Thanks for the info about feeding the clems. I think I'll give mine some Osmocote and see how it goes. I always give them a nice top dressing of compost every year as well. Did I mention my Piilu is putting out some nice growth on last year's canes so I'm hoping for some double flowers there.

Woody, LOVE that sweater, that's a beauty! RE my Vyv, there wasn't any top growth as the rodents chewed it off at the soil level but it appears I'm going to have a few double flowers on the new growth. Those buds are enormous!

Eden, I still have to mulch everything here as well and am not looking forward to the chore. I lost my garden helper and really miss her.

Chelone, what a huge job moving that tree! hope it transplants well for you.

Michelle, I so love your garden shed! you must be in heaven with the new window.

Kathy, Bug, Norma wonderful pics! There still isn't much going on here and now I'm dealing with a woodchuck so the brunnera have been 'pruned' just when they were about to bloom.

Cindy, congrats on the new car. My friend MJ just bought a used Rav4 and traded in her old one that had 292,000 miles on it!

Ok, lots to do today so much run. have a great day and weekend everyone

Deanne

Oh yes, New painting, the fuchsia is 'Bicentennial' and the butterfly a Blue Pansy. I don't know what the name of the rose is though. I took the pics at NYBG a couple years ago and didn't get the tag.
    {{gwi:155664}}

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Thats beautiful Deanne! Just a quick good morning. I've got to hustle because believe it or not the sun is shining after several days of rain.
    I could'nt get connected last night to read or post.

More later I hope. Have a good day.

Yea! Drema.

12 years ago

Wonderful painting Deanne! I hope Vyv produces something very nice for you - please make sure you post a picture of it. It's amazing the difference in climate - my Vyv is still pretty much in winter mode. You can only see leaf buds if you look very closely. She's nowhere near showing flowerbuds here - flowering is a mid-late June affair.

• Cornfield_Park
    12 years ago

Greetings! It's been so long since I've written, but have thoroughly enjoyed staying caught up with Idyll goings-on -- plants, grandkids, everything is getting larger! Here at the Park we have weathered our fair share of effects from the economy but are holding on. Rich, despite several attempts via applying and networking and advertising, hasn't found anything that will bring dollars in, but it remains really nice to have a full-time house/lawn keeper! I give him credit for maintaining as great an attitude as one could have.

Quick Ky update: The Army didn't want him after all because he was too peaceful. [Imagine Martie doing back handsprings across the lawn when that news came in.] He's enrolled at UConn to start in September for a second Bachelor's, this one in Forestry. He and Lauren are officially cohabitating and for that I'm thrilled. She is a true gem and they are both taking things one step at a time individually and collectively. They both have decent jobs (graditude) and are looking forward to a happy future.

The Park has come into its own and it's hard to grasp that this will be our seventh summer here. Plants that were sticks with roots are mature; all of the plant moving to give elbow room and balance has paid off both plant-health and vision-wise. Diligent mulching and composting means neither is needed this Spring and my back and pocketbook are both grateful! A few of our local garden club ladies came to visit a week or so back and we're "being considered" to participate in a Tour to benefit Plant A Row for the Hungry. Mixed feelings about if I want a positive outcome for the decision!! :-)

Know that, especially at this time of year, I think fondly of all and wish I could commit to being more active with this amazing group. With hope, there will be freer time coming up and that will be a possibility.

Wishing I could send you all the jonquils that just really starting flaring out and the scent that comes with them.....

Martie

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Deanne, I'm counting the dew drops in your latest painting...and reached four. I think that's all. (Rather like Where's Waldo!) Gorgeous colors!

Yesterday I opened a package of zinc plant markers and decided to write the clematis names on them for the arbor in the vegetable garden. I've always thought they look like a mouse cemetery, but frankly, it is hard to remember which plant is which every spring without consulting my computer list. I hope this helps. Does anyone else use these zinc markers? What do you use to write with?

The winds here are still remarkably strong and fierce. In Toronto trees were uprooted and they landed on cars. The creek here is muddy and high, but we are doing OK. I sure hope things calm down and allow me to garden some more tomorrow. Of course I'm thinking of Marian and Nolon and hope they are doing OK with the weather trials in that part of the country.

The bridge on our road has finally been completed. They created a small parking lot at the start of the bridge and we went there yesterday to take a look. It seems they have installed a platform for osprey to nest! I'm so pleased that someone thought of this. I hope the osprey find it soon! We have blue herons on our property already this year which is fun.

Time to start getting something done around here!
    'bug

• chelone
    12 years ago

Drema, that is absolutely fabulous news!!! Who cares if it's only "very temporary"? the point is that you landed a garden centre job and I have no doubt that once they get to see you in action you'll be the "go to gal". Fabulous and I am certain you are thrilled. Way to go.

Martie, what a surprise to see you drop in. And a nice one, too. :) Better yet is that things at CoHnfield Park are really coming into their own. Isn't it exciting? I watch the progress in the Fertile Crescent and wonder if the plants will ever attain enough stature to block out the prying eyes of "from away" tourist eyes... . Thanks for reminding me that they will, in fact, grow. And wise are you to appreciate all the little "thises and thats" that the one "at home" contributes, it's so important. Nice to know that you guys work as a real team.

Deanne, your painting is lovely. I particularly like the detail in the shading and the way you've blended one color into its neighbor. How amny students in the upcoming class?

The sweater is really handsome, Woody. I like the simplicity of color with "only" the pattern to add dimension. Subtle and very, very elegant. Less is indeed, "more", at least to my eye. Mum was a very accomplished knitter, but that gene seems to have skipped a generation. Perhaps I will one day discover the wonder of "knatting noodles", Lord knows I have inherited enough of them! Right along with crochet hooks...

Wow! what an accomplished and diligent group we have here... always sets me back on my haunches and makes me marvel. Everyone pat their own back now, OK?

Nothing of great import to report from the Compound, I'm afraid. Same basic thing on a different day. But that's OK, too. Sometimes the "status quo" is just fine, know what I mean, jelly beans?

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well lookee there, Martie came out to play ! Glad to hear you trudge along despite the obstacles. Hopefully one day we'll get some photos of the maturing Park ..see, you don't have to hang around here for long before someone starts nagging for pics, lol. Out here on the left coast we are starting to see some modest activity in the building trades, it's the first time a few years since we have had numbers in my company that are up compared to last years -we're even happy with flat in some categories. Hope that light is shining at the end of the tunnel for you !

And hooray for Drema ! Even if only temporary, it will give you that all important 'experience' on the resume, and it's not unknown for temporary workers to morph into permanent staff.

Beautiful plate Deanne ! What can be better than fuchsias and roses ? I guess I should be grateful that snails are my only destructive pest issue. No woodchucks here or bunnies like Sue, or deer, etc, etc. Every morning when I leave for the awfice I take my arsenal to my new Dahlia bed-the snails are crazy about them, and I am determined to fend them off the new emerging foliage. So far so good., though I planted 3 tubers of Park Princess and I only see one coming up .

I dutifully started my after awfice chore for today , which involves dandelions, but the wind has come up fierce and drove me back inside. Usually the winds die down as the sun sinks , so maybe I'll get a few more weeds pulled a little later. Hate wind !

Bug, I use the zinc markers for my lilies, roses and daylilies. I got them from Gardeners Supply, and have used many different pens -really hard to find one that is fine enough and doesn't fade, I bought a marker from Gardeners Supply too, and though the ink holds up well, the tip is too broad. I've used both regular and utra-fine Sharpies but they fade and have to be re-done.

Cindy, we expanded our Dr Earth offering this year- I also use the rose and flower -but typically only on the roses, maybe a little sprinkle here and there. I still use MaxSea for the Clems, which was recommended to me by a grower in Sonoma County. That is one plant that really responds to being fertilized (along with Citrus) and I try to hit them at least twice a year.

Allrighty, must do some paperwork..waves !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Hi Martie,good to have an update from you except for the fact that Rich hasn't found work. I'm guessing your work is doing ok? Good to hear Ky is doing ok too.

So I hear Drema and Julie both have trees down (Julie's in the park) and Marion's Nolan is awaiting a heart bypass.
    I sure hope the weather settles down soon for all of us.

Woody I meant to tell you that I like Randys sweater. It looks great on him. I bet you are happy to have that finished.

I dislike unfinished projects and I am the worst about it. Seems I always leave something undone.

Had to go into town to pick up meds this morning so I plant shopped. Got a few annuals and some starter perennials. Hoping for a planting day tomorrow.

Snails are bad here too with all the rain.

12 years ago

I was 'talking' to Marian last week (Norma's wonderful dogwood trees made me think of Marian's beautiful spring woods...) Nolon has been having serious heart problems. The reports of the latest storms down there prompted me to check in with Marian again to see if they were OK. This is the reply I got just now:

We are not OK, but it is not due to the weather. Nolon is scheduled for a heart bypass surgery this coming Monday....May 2nd. It is his only chance to survive the bad condition his heart is in. He is in the Springdale Arkansas Cardiology Hospital. I took him there yesterday, thinking he would get the 3rd stint that he needed. It turned out that he has to have the surgery instead. I am home now, but will return there Saturday. One of his sisters lives there, so she will be looking in on him while I am not there. I have been spending nights with her .
    The storm damage in our area is to roads. Lots of wash-outs. We received at least 13 inches in 4-5 days at our place. Others got even more.
    -----

So send good thought Nolon and Marian's way!

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Years ago DD was a figure skater. One of her coaches was a wonderful wonderful woman named PJ Kwong. PJ was also a young Mom then, a dog trainer too.
    This week PJ has been at the ISU Championships in Moscow covering the events for the CBC. (Canadian Broadcasting Co)
    I am so lucky to have known amazing people over the years and PJ is certainly one of them. Verbal, witty, smart, talented, kind...the list goes on. A mother with cancer, a daughter in South Africa... she is also an author, a busy busy lady!
    And so I have been celebrating Patrick Chan's astonishing skate success today, accompanied by PJ's voice. I could weep. This beautiful skater is only 20 years old!!! And PJ has been able to travel the world because of her energy and talent. WOW

Here is a link that might be useful: Patrick and PJ

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw Marians post on FB re: Nolon's procedure. I worry about her isolation. I hope her DS can/or will help.

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

I came in from the garden at 9:00 this evening. It was so nice finally! I cleaned up another garden, dug and replanted a "Karl Foerester" grass that was in too shady of spot, put up my sugar snap pea fence and a few other misc. tasks.

Eden, the picture I posted is from several years ago in the fall. It�s a little hard to see but the board fence that went about 3� up was deteriorated badly. A Fairy Festival sounds like fun.

I have no idea what to do and giggled at Cindy�s thought of something artistic. That isn�t me. I�d like to be able to keep the climbers there. So I�d best get thinking.

Martie, how wonderful to hear the news from your neck of the woods. Sorry to hear that the job market hasn�t improved.

Woody, our kitchens must be nearly the same color. When I saw the sweater I thought the same thing about him blending into my kitchen. Very impressive work.

Deanne, I love the painting, the detail is incredible. Neat how you paint specific plants. I thought of you the other day when I noticed my orchid throwing up a flower stalk. This will be the first since the initial blooms when Rick bought it for me.

Saucy, have a wonderful day with your girls.

Drema, great news about the job.

I hope that things go well for Nolon. Thinking of Marian too.

Michelle

• jak1
    12 years ago

So my semi shade garden is now a three quarters shade garden....the tree that fell not thirty feet away from my house was at least a hundred feet high. A seond one just as big was also uprooted but didn't fall over...not a safe situation in a green space most often used by dog walkers and kids....

There was a pretty upset squirrel when her home fell down. I know they are really rats with cute tails, but you gotta admire Mother Nature: that poor little thing ventured into the mess of branches and individually carried each of her tiny offspring to a safer place. The brats (Bostons) were really anxious to give her a hand, uh, paw, but I managed to keep them at bay. Great entertainment for a sick nine-year-old.

Worrisome news re:Nolan; this is a really tough one for Marion. At least it's not winter....

Beautiful plate Deanne. Seeing as the main part of my house is the same colour as Woody's kitchen, the plate would look fabu fabu here. If you decide you don't like, just send it on over *LOL*

TCS is still home so I am going to run off so he can play on the computer.

Cheers all!

Julie

• jak1
    12 years ago

Duh! My garden is now three quaters SUN, not shade.

The town may remove all of the big trees as they are looking pretty ratty. Then I will have a full sun garden.....

Cheers,

Julie

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Greetings, all for Friday!

Glad to hear most escaped any damage other than tree and a change in atmosphere for cleaning up from the ferocious storms. A terrible mess and hard I know, but at least all are safe, unlike the awful destruction in Alabama.

How nice to see Martie check in -- glad to hear you're going okay -- Rich should come to my area for work - I can barely get repair folks to return my calls or show up for estimates -- the roofers are crazy busy and turn me away; the siding/window folks sneer if the job is too little... I guess this area has recovered more quickly than others for many folks, altho I do know of people who have yet to be rehired. Fingers crossed that good things happen to Rich soon.

Michelle - you are indeed a very creative person - the mosaic bowling bowl, handcrafted tuteurs and many other things (to say nothing of the amazing composition of your gardens) comes to mind -- I know you'll come up with something country and maybe branches twisted together in some configuration that will look delightful for a trellis/wall.

The 80s temps we had blew most of my tulips away this week, but the other bulbs I potted up this year are coming on now -- camassia, allium and other things I never got into the ground. I hope to do that after their bloom.

A quicky photo -- all the rains have made things jump out of the ground - the clems have tripled in size in a week. Amazing. ('bug - i use the zinc markers but have had Kathy's experience of the Sharpies fading, but they hold up for a few years at lest).

Isla had her first waterbabies class last nite and reports are taht she loved it - I hope she'll be a little mermaid.

Would you believe Miss Stella will be the Big One Year tomorrow -- some Flossie chewies are in order for the event (if I make to the store tonite).

Happy Friday all and hoping for a Great Garden Work weekend.

{{gwi:155666}}

{{gwi:155667}}

--Cindy

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Looking good Cindy. Are those the Cassimas in the pot?
    Hope you get some good garden time this weekend.

Julie, Now that the sun has come out I see that one of my shade beds is going to have afternoon sun because of the trees we had to remove to build the barn. I just planted a big hosta there last year and I'm sure I will have to move it now. I guess you will just have to plant more daylillies now that you have more sun. Trying to enable you here. LOL Hope TCS feels better soon.

Michelle I put a link to a trellis someone made on the vines forum. I think it's pretty neat.

I planted my hayracks on the barn today. I'm still not sure exactly how much sun they will get so It will be interesting to see how they do. Probably take me a couple of years to figure out what works.

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link Norma. That is cool! I think I have an idea but we will see if it works.

Rick wants me to ride with him to the home improvement store but he sure is putzing around. The sun just came out and I'm thinking I might have to stay home if he doesn't get it in gear. The only thing is that I want to check out the fencing options.

Julie, what a scare. I'm glad you and your house are ok.

Thanks Cindy for the compliments. Love the camassia in the container. Everything is looking so pretty in your garden. Happy Birthday to Stella!

Michelle

• chelone
    12 years ago

Happy birthday to Stella. Give her a kick for me, willya? I love that Isla is now in a "swimming" class. I am a huge proponent of "drown proofing" and that begins at an early age, which is not to say that it's any guarantee. Kids love the water and they're so curious about it, the sooner they're introduced the better, IMO. We know too well how lethal the combination of curiosity and a moment's innocent inattention can be. LE SIGH.

Lol, Norma... I live in the land of unfinished "projects". And it drives me nuts, too. It always seems to be a "time thing", doesn't it? We start something on days off but by the time the next round of "days off" rolls around something more pressing presents itself and the first things is on indefinite "hold". But when you finally dot that "i" or cross that "t" is sure feels great. You'll get there. Kick Rebel for me, willya"

I slept through the creaking and crashing involved with the last ice storm when we lost several really big branches, and half a huge maple tree. We cut, split, and stacked it promptly, and we burned it this past winter! But having something so huge come down so near one's home is a very sobering thought. So is the threat of wildfires that find nothing but fuel on the ground around too many homes... . Good to learn your home was spared, Julie! I am always blow away (SORRY) by the footage of tornado damage; I can't even feature that sort of thing. I can imagine nothing so terrifying, frankly. So devastating and so fast.

I miss Marian's voice. I've e-mailed her and hope her addy is the same as it was. I, too, worry about her isolation, but know that she is a crafty and resourceful woman and that will serve her well in her present circumstance. Which is not to say that the need for familial assistance is foregone! HANG TOUGH, MARIAN!

I survey the Fertile Crescent daily and never seem to have the time to get out there and work on it. I have several "full sun" candidates to relocate, but I'm still facing the relocation of a few major shrubs and that has left me paralyzed by indecision. Lol, the story of my life, you guys. ;)

{{gwi:155668}}

{{gwi:155669}}

{{gwi:155670}}

I had "help":
    {{gwi:155671}}

:)

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Well Chelone, those are for you, but where are they going? Glad you found time for work for yourself!

I too love camassia! Mine are up but far from bloom time. Today was a gorgeous sunny day with temperatures around the 60F mark. There was frost though in the morning and perhaps again tonight. Hard to believe we had spring peepers last week!

This afternoon DH helped remove some plant caging and installed more water barrels. While I did laundry and grocery shopping, he flitzed around researching his old Fender guitar. After lunch I weeded the asparagus bed which took a couple of hours. The bones are creaking now.

Last weekend DD got to visit a straw bale house. The friends there have 6 solar panels to heat their new home and greenhouse. (Remember, this is Alberta and COLD!) They have a music room, heated floors, a wood stove too. They have goats, both miking and meat varieties. One day they will probably have one of these homes too. They are very keen and DD has taken several courses on the subject already.

Progress has been made on a quilt for Skyler, but with being back at work, out of town on business and so on, things slowed down a bit.

Received email from DS from Uruguay. Pretty exciting. DH is undecided about which suitcase to pack still...

My pink zinnias are up...and it has only been a couple of days since i planted the seeds! I'm amazed. Keeping them alive is what is hardest though. Drema, when do you begin at 'Plant World'? Beware of spending all your income there!

Time to contemplate dinner and prepare it.

Happy weekend to all,
    'bug

• chelone
    12 years ago

The deck.

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Just time for a quick post here -- It was a beautiful day here -- chilly start and windy but it warmed up to be quite workable. Stella celebrated by eating mulch and dirt and generally being a furry vole while I weeded and managed to plant a few things. Tired but satisfied we both are....

Westerplatte is blooming - some nice blooms this year. Asao is working too but not as bright as last year - I think I had to cut most of it back earlier becuase it was under the crepe myrtle that was down over it for most of the winter....

Westplatte - such a rich, dark red -- darker than this..

{{gwi:155672}}

--Cindy

12 years ago

We had a fairly productive day in the garden yesterday. The major clean-up is done now in all areas - just a few small pruning chores to do and a few bricks in the brick edging in front have sunk and need to be reset.

It looks like all the clematis that we planted for the swag chains have survived and are thriving. However, I think I need to add more for the iron tuteur. Vyvyan Pennell looks like at least some of the stems that started climbing last year survived, so I'm hopeful that the show might be a little taller this year! The President on the lattice at the back of the front porch lift was very drought stressed last year and wilted for the first time ever. It looks like much of the top growth may have died back. I do see some new stems at the base so I'll wait a few more weeks before starting to cut it down.

Cindy - I love that red clematis! We're still quite a ways off from having any bloom here :-(

Chelone - kitty looks comfy there... :-)

gb - the straw bale house sounds neat - did she get pictures of it?

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

The trip to the home improvement store took all day! It�s a 45 minute drive. The purpose for the trip was to pick up the new roofing materials for our house. We also picked up some fencing materials and plants too. The fence will be 4 x 4 posts with finials on the top and then just wire fencing between since I really don�t need privacy, I just want division and a place to grow vines. We also purchased some white lattice that we will add to the top of the board fencing that surrounds the other 2 sides of this cement area. There I do need to screen some more farm related utilitarian areas. We will see when and if this gets accomplished this year since the farming season is getting off to a late start.

I found some plants for $2.99 each. Usually at places like that I can�t find anything I don�t have but I was able to find a variegated coreopsis, coreopsis �Cr�me Brule", and anemone "Pamina" I also picked up several ground covers.

Cindy, amazing that you have clematis blooming already. Love the color of it.

It was horribly windy yesterday and again today. The sun is shining but I really do hate wind.

I think I need to find a few more clematis this year. I�ve moved a few plants around already and still need to move a fairly large miscanthus "Morning Light"

Enjoy your day!

Michelle

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Hi to all of you. I feel as if I've been gone so long, I half expected to see pictures of Ivy at her high school prom! Glad that is not the case. Oh, 'bug, I love to watch Patrick skate. I also skated until I was about 16 and then went back to ice dancing as an adult. What I love about Patrick is that he is the whole package-not just a jumper, but his footwork is wonderful and his spins are good, too. He is, to my mind, one of the greats.

Cindy, your gardens are beautiful. Your clematis is way beyond mine. I only have buds at this point. Doesn't seem fair since we are so close to each other! Happy birthday to Stella. Want to see pics of her celebrating and of Isla in the water. Babies do love that class and they are so cute the first time they go under the water. I laugh every time I think of doing that with John.

Norma, your dogwoods are just lovely. We lost three since last summer. I am exceedingly envious and appreciative of your wonders.

Chelone, the Picea looks great. Really, if you are worried about all your unfinished projects, just drop down here for a visit. I have tons of "not even started" projects. I think having in-progress ones would be grand. I suspect I am just plain lazy.

Sending good thoughts Nolon and Marian's way. Hope the surgery went smoothly. I am always amazed these days at how routine so many of these operations have become. Hope that was the case for Nolon and that recovery is quick.

Julie, won't you have fun redesigning your garden now with sun-loving plants. Much as I hate them in my bird feeders, I am glad the mama squirrel was able to rescue her babies.

Martie, happy news about Ky and Lauren. Hope something breaks for Rich. Job hunting is not easy these days, is it?

Drema, congratulations on the job! So nice to "hear" your excitement!

Michelle, Kenzie is such a cutie. I understand her wanting to feel the sunshine-love that!

Deanne, that is one absolutely beautiful plate. What immense talent you have-and in so many different areas! Impressive! Those dew-drops on the rose are incredible and the colors-wow.

Eden, cute Easter pictures with THE bunny. :)

Saucy, thanks for the birthday wishes. I hope your weekend in NYC with Sarah and Emma was full of laughter and fun!

Kathy, I always love your garden pictures (the roses are fabulous), whether your own or the ones you visit, but now I want to see your b-w stairwell gallery. I bet it is marvelous.

Yeona, that necklace is so pretty and I'll bet she loved that it referenced the eggs she gave you.

Love the one you made for your mom, too, Michelle.

Woody, I hope your weather improved from last weekend and week. It will be more fun once the clean-up is behind you. I suspect, though, that Randy probably enjoyed the fact that you were stuck inside and got the sweater finished. It is fantastic! All you talented folks put me to shame. I never learned more than a basic stitch because my mother, who was a wonderful knitter, was never inclined to teach us. Oh well.

Hope I caught up with everyone, but I am sure to have inadvertently missed someone, so if I did, I will catch you next time for sure.

Around here, we have a huge oak that is leaning suddenly and Chuck is, I think, going to leave it until it falls on the house. He wants to just have someone cut two big limbs to see if that helps. Egad. All I have to say is that it had better not hit me when it topples and crushes the cars, the kitchen, the living room, dining room and my pretty little magnolia that is near it. Not to mention all the stuff in the house that will need to be replaced. Aaarrrgghhh.

I will be back sooner than later this time, I think. We have our state tests this month and I have finished collecting the evidence for six of my kiddoes who are doing portfolios for their reading assessment rather than taking the multiple choice test. I have five students doing math portfolios that are due in two weeks, so we will be busy finishing those up. It just takes so much time. Oh well. All the rest are taking the tests.

Wishing everyone a week of contentment at the very least and perhaps joy and laughter here and there. Time to finish laundry and start getting ready for the week.

Oh- and I am setting a goal-when I realized that the Queen is only 26 years older than I, I decided that it is now or never to try to get back into shape a little (I am currently 35 pounds over my nine month pregnancy weight-not a pretty sight), so I am sharing with all of you-perhaps that will force me to get back to being more active!!! :)

• drema_dianne
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I love all the beautiful pictures you are posting. Chelone, what a cheerful place to work you have there, and isn't it nice to have company too? I can just picture you humming along while you sew.

Cindy, your garden looks very lush! Nice pictures.

Cyn, hope your tree doesn't fall. It is so hard to know what to do in a situation like that. Good to see you back!

Michelle, hope your new project at work and your orientation for the new employee went well for you!

Bug, I haven't looked at your link to the hay bale houses yet, but I saw a documentary once about them. It is very interesting to see how well they work. I'll take a look at your link when I finish posting.

Woody, glad you are getting warm enough weather to be able to get out there and do something. It is a good feeling, isn't it?

Hope all is well with Nolon. Prayers going out to them.

Julie, sorry to hear about your tree, but glad you guys were able to get it cleaned up quickly. The insurance company told us they will contact us by Thursday, and for us not to do anything until they see the damage.

It has been a week here. I won't bore with too many details, but we had half a willow tree fall down here. It smashed the pond, and basically trashed my border, but I am so thankful that it was in the middle of the night and not during a family get together. We had 69MPH winds, and I was home alone. Skip and Sean out of town, I heard a huge crash, and thought something fell in the house. Anyway, I was so distracted the next day, I hit the gas instead of the brake and ran over a curb, killed a birch tree and impaled my car on two support poles at Sam's Club. Too much on my mind these days. I'm just thankful I didn't hit another car with people in it.

I start work on Wednesday. Will let you know how it goes. This week I'm working Wed, Fri, and Sunday. I asked about clothes, and she said wear something I don't mind getting dirty and wet. And I can bring extra shoes. Sooo looks like I will be playing in the dirt. Not sure what my duties are, but I hope I like it.

Today was Nina's 3rd Birthday party. We got her a globe like Charlie's because she likes his so much. He can name practically every continent, and knows where Ohio is. And N, S, E, and West. I could go on and on, LOL. But anything more would be bragging :).

Let's all hope for gentle weather and smooth seas this week.

Take care,
    Drema

• drema_dianne
    12 years ago

Thought you might be interested:
    Before

{{gwi:155673}}

{{gwi:155675}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Oh Drema, so sorry! Willow doesn't even burn nicely....
    As to the car accident, when I get upset and nervous and have too much in my life...I can't drive. I know that and figure out an alternative.

Cyn, I agree that Patrick seems to be one of the greats. I so love his style (as compared to Elvis) and his footwork. He is light in his movements and can produce a quad without that painful-to-watch buildup. But good grief, did you need to tell me about "currently 35 pounds over my nine month pregnancy weight"? I actually took out pencil and paper and computed that I am exactly that. Oyyyyy

Cindy, your clematis time is so far ahead of mine. Even Woody's is earlier than mine. I'm still at the "did it survive the winter" stage. I expect them all to make it, every time...and so the disappointment is hard.

We had our Gravel Watch meeting this morning and so DH had to pay me back by passing by a nursery on the way home. The prices seem extraordinarily high this year. I picked up a grass and a saxifrage and I won't even tell you the cost...except OUT OF SIGHT!

It is wet wet wet here and tomorrow will be Debbie & Sue day. I'll be thinking of Nolon and Marian throughout the day. I expect the best, as I have known others to go through similar procedures. That doesn't make it any easier for them though. HUGS!

I hope Saucy's trip was super!
    Ciao!
    'bug
    PS: Skyler's quilt, still in the making.
    {{gwi:155676}}

• saucydog
    12 years ago

It was a great trip, GB. Central Park was especially beautiful on this trip ;)

{{gwi:155677}}

I've got to hit the hay so that I make it to work tomorrow! 'Night all...

Saucy

• jak1
    12 years ago

Ha! Getting the tree cleaned up? Nope. What a mess. Lots of visitors to my garden though,as everybody within walking distance had to come to get a first hand look at the carnage. My biggest concern though is the other hundred +foot one that was uprooted but didn't fall down. With wet weather for the next three days, the ground will get softer and softer and that tree is going to pull right out, it is already tilted dangerously. Called the town office and they came and put that yellow crime scene type of tape around it, big deal. The tree that is lying down is a mecca for kids. I guess that is a hidden bonus: five or six of them played outside on it all day yesterday. Only three fell off *LOL*

I mowed the lawns for the first time yesterday, and overseeded the back. Fed all of the clems a scoop of tomato food. Emptied the composter and fed every other growing thing in the gardens. Planted the lupins a friend grew from seed. Moved the huge Mandevilla out to the wine deck and dragged the geraniums out and back in again. One lonely Iris reticulata is in bloom, the bloodroot is doing its thing, and finally the hyacinths are open. Looks like nearly everything survived the winter, all of the clems and the Virginia Creeper and the Honeysuckle on the spite fence look great. Every Hemerocallis made it too, so that area should look nicer this year. Finally going to plant the veggie seeds and the Cannas this week. Whew! It will "just" be maintenance from now on! DH's work included tuning the mower, fixing the waterbarrels, working on the hose reel and hoses,tightening up the legs of the deck table, and talking me into selling our wooden adirondacks and getting something else. The scraping and repainting every year is getting too tedious.

Fuzzy headed today, so its an all about me post. Cheers to you all and Happy May!

Julie

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

DH ran out on an errand, so I am taking the opportunity to check in again. My, two days in a row. Maybe I am actually going to be more regular in my attendance now that Spring is here-trala, it's May!

drema, the tree picture is awful! The reality is bound to be worse. I HATE losing trees. I have, however, found a new way to look at things if ours crushes the house. I have plans for quite a renovation! HA.

'bug, love the quilt colors. Oh and I misspoke (miswrote?). I am 35 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. Sorry. 10 pounds over the nine-month figure. Being short, though, it shows. It is frustrating that our metbolisms seem to change so much. Oh well. Glad the weather is nice now-walking the dogs may help a little.

Saucy, so glad the trip was fun. That is a beautiful picture.

Time for dinner. Raising a glass of lemonade to you all. ;)

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello friends, only one day off last week so I’ve been scrambling to try and keep chores done, ana Sunday evening DS concert choir finished off my leisure. After awfice will be catch up time this week.

Cyn, glad to see you back !

Scary pictures from Dremas world, I’ve only had one tree go over here, and it was a Crepe Myrtle, nothing near the size or girth of that willow. Drema, I worked in garden center 3 days last week�"hard work ! I thought nothing of it back in my early 30’s- and thank goodness I’m used to working outside for 5 or 6 hours at a stretch, which improves the stamina quite a bit.

Love the quilt so far ‘bug, really nice colors.

Here’s a pic from tonight, a Clem whose tag is gone , and has to struggle up from beneath the Sweet Woodruff. Why did I ever plant that damn stuff ???

Thinking of Marian and Nolon . {{gwi:155679}}From Garden Spring 2011

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    12 years ago

This is shaping up to be another bogus work week. But it's to be expected after a lovely weekend; never fails that every Tom, Dick, and Harry wanders in with all manner of needs as soon as the weather becomes more springlike. Right on time, just like the Spring Peepers. :)

I agree, lovely to see lemonade slingin' Cyn. resurface. May the little urchins in your class pass every exam with flying colors and show you to be the true light we know you to be. ;) I need to rein in the caloric excesses myself; thinking that putting Wrecks on his string and heading out on a forced march would do both of some good. I was interested in the comments on figure skating... I am so, so tired of all the emphasis placed on jumps, too! I love to see careful footwork, spins that don't "travel" too much and are tight and fast, and graceful interpretation of the music. I long for the return of school figures, or at the very least the addition of another tier of skaters, more mature and practiced in the finer art of the sport. I loved Toller Cranston, Paul Wylie, and John Currie.

Drema, I'm sad to see your lovely sitting area and garden smashed beneath the willow. You must've wanted to cry. I say you definitely need to incinerate that sucker for collapsing on it! Willows retain moisture a long time (like red maple and red oak) and the secret to a good burn is to give it plenty of time to season. Figure 2 yrs.; it's what we figure for the maple and oak. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow... brown baggin' it?

As usual, I'm way behind on the garden clean up stuff, but we have trimmed up and whacked back some very overgrown areas. And! we're still married. We have to bring the bird feeder in at night as the raccoons have made their thieving presence known and we see no need to encourage them further. I caught a faint whiff of the "black and white kitty" while out for the pre-prandial pee with the hugest of dogs. I clipped on the least, JIC. His great interest in the activity on the South Lawn tells me they're hustling grubs, worms out there. The virgin mow looms, Julie!

I, too, am thinking of Marian and Nolon.

And birthday parties and fun trips to NYC. Kids toppling off "attractive nuisances". And nurseries (haven't been to one yet). All of you lead such interesting lives!

I have given up trying to square up the latest floor cloth by myself. It is so much easier with two people and chalk line. I am so "over" crawling around on the floor to accomplish work unless it's to paint a floor! I will recruit his nibs as soon as he arises from his nap.

The three window boxes for the south window of the Salon were put up on Sunday morning. They look super and I can't wait to plant them. I am toying with idea of using Thunbergia as a trailing plant; anyone had experience with it? Awning hardware installation has been postponed until next week, which is fine because I don't have the awnings even cut out yet. But things are coming together nicely.

Also, some exciting leads on work that will require some creativity and not just the automaton response. I actually had to turn some down because I couldn't meet a tight deadline. And am thinking seriously of turning down the prom dress alteration I was asked about. I'm not sure I'm in the right "head mode" to fuss with one, frankly!

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Sounds like busy times at the compound Chelone. Good going keeping Wrecks from the smelly ones. Rebel uncovered one of his possum stashes to take a dip in. The Nerd! At least it wasn't in one of my spaces.

Cyn you are busy getting the kiddos ready for testing. I hope the leaning tree stays that way and doesn't fall.

Bug I enjoyed seeing the straw bale house. I have watched them being constructed on tv. I wonder if they can even be built here. Planning and zoning is strict in this county.

Woody I hope your clematis do well for the swag. I am about to yank all mine. They were growing beautifully and some starting to bloom and now the majority of them have wilt. It's just so exasperating.

Kathy, do you often work outside at the garden center or were you just filling in for someone?
    Pretty Clematis.

It was so chilly here yesterday I resorted to cleaning the pig sty and doing laundry. Still not so great today so I did paperwork and grocery store. Now I hope tomorrow is decent so I can get back at it outside. Frost warnings for tonight so I covered the hayrack planters and moved the purchased plants waiting to be planted into the barn.
    I semi had a handle on the weeds for all of about two minutes. The second batch is emerging at lightening speed.
    I need to ignore them and get some things divided and moved before it's to late.
    Pollen here has my head feeling stuffy. I've been avoiding the allergy pills because they make me sleepy.

Julie I can see those kids playing on the downed tree. That would be right up my alley as a kid too. Better than a swing set.

Not much news here. Think I'll play my guitar for awhile.

Hey to all. Norma

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County