Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll # 435 ...Spring Fever

dodgerdudette
15 years ago

"Its spring fever...you don't know quite what it is you DO want ,but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so !"

Mark Twain

Carry on Idylls !

Comments (102)

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eden, I' m hoping the best for Jen!

Many years ago my Mom had Bell's palsy and while there was no serious implication it took a long time for her face to recover.

I can only imagine how much you are worrying after all that Meg went through.

Good thoughts and prayers for your family!

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Oh Eden, I'm thinking of Jen and you today....and of course hoping for good news soon. And baby news too. After a quick search on Google for Bell's Palsy and pregnancy, I am feeling much more hopeful.

GIANT HUGS!!!

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Greetings, all! Today my car is my office so actually have some time to do more than skim Idylls.

Cornfield Park is definitively taking shape and the lawn will rival any country estate around. Rich's interest in all things grass has elevated to the point of two new lawn equipment additions and a stern warning from him to me to not be concerned after he aerates with his 6" spiky wheels with 100 lbs on top to really sink them in.

At this point it's easier to go along with it than argue against time and energy being put into such a resource sucker when it would be far more lovely to dig the whole thing up and put in more shrubs :-)

Jen's name is squarely in front me on my list of people to think about more than usual today. I know nothing about Bell's Palsy, but it must be frightening beyond belief.

Brenda, you crack me up. Stay in the nighties and enjoy a bon bon to boot!!

So Saucy and Mary are both now designing gardens for others. How cool is it to earn $$ doing something you love!

I'm not talking to Kathy until it gets warm enough here to actually swell the rose buds ;-)

'bug, have you ever tried spinning your own yarn? On Easter day my niece showed me how with a little hand-held spinner and I made a lumpy mess but can see where there would be great satisfaction of taking a garment from carded wool to needles to body.

Given prior pics, 'bug, I don't think a blizzard will keep DD and DSiL out of the tub for the birth. Will Skyler be there, too?

Julie -- I LOVE YOUR DOGS!! My less than educated guess is that Tucker will actually enjoy being in a house where he knows what's what. Much like children....

Good grief Chelone!! Will be projects never cease? Have learned that Hydrangeas are a lot tougher than they appear. Please keep the snakes in Maine :-)

Michelle: I'm forgetting where you find comfort in the pool. Physical activity without weight bearing may need to become a part of my life a lot more, and any suggestions would be helpful.

Thinking that Sue is still raking leaves?????

And a hearty HELLO to everyone!

"Me" goings on: DB's hospital is destined to stay open. Something about the State really not wanting anyone to think that they're going to save money by shipping mentally ill people off to prison.....wonder where they got that idea?

Work is havoc. Even in this economy advertisers are realizing that if no one knows they're there, no one will purchase stuff from them. Ahhhhhh, the concept! So, there's been lots of creativity involved with making dollars effectively stretch and it's been a fun challenge. Still feel incredibly fortunate to have a job that I love on most days and actually get paid to do it.

Rich resumed a teeny ad in the local paper and has had three calls for appts. Everything that can be crossed is crossed.

Ky is looking forward to hearing from UConn about his official acceptance into the Forestry Conservation program. The big question is how long he'll need to be there, as he's hoping to get in as a first semester Senior but thinks it'll probably be a second semester Junior. He's just plain excited, and so am I to see the light in his eyes when he talks about the possibilities.

No major gardening, yet. Plants are at an absolute standstill waiting for warmer weather. Seed starting has been delayed given the temps, too. Peppers simply won't pop in 50deg air even with a heating mat.

Enough from this corner :-) Everyone find something good in their lives today!

Martie

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Eden - I'll be thinking of you and Jen today. I know how scary anything neurological is and how hard it is not to fixate on those worries.

For others like me who might not be familiar with the condition I did a little googling and found this somewhat reassuring article:

"For reasons not completely understood, women may develop Bell's palsy during pregnancy more frequently than the general population. The risk of Bell's palsy during pregnancy is thought to be greatest during the third trimester, or within several weeks of delivery. The prognosis for women with Bell's palsy during pregnancy is generally good. Bell's palsy does not appear to have any effect on the growing fetus".

I'll still keep my fingers crossed.

Thoughts going out to Brenda too. And GB's family. I hope the end of the week brings good news all round.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that David's hip can now bear full weight though it will take weeks of therapy and exercise to get him back to normal motion. Yesterday he took the first steps on his own and he was over the moon. He has a funky chicken like gait, lifiting his elbows for balance. But what a way to raise his spirits. His foot is also responding a little more each week and now has a definite small motion rather than just a flicker. It's been such a long road but I feel we are finally emerging from the dark woods (is that a mixed metaphor?)

Mary

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

The plan is now to depart for Alberta on Tuesday, baby or no baby! Skyler's birthday is on Wednesday. We will need to combine our departure with a trip to Woody's in the evening, as our tickets are a special inexpensive late late LATE flight.. So although I expect baby will arrive before we do, and that disappoints me, at least we can PLAN. We have no return trip plans made yet.

Today my garden friends arrive and the weather promises to be wonderful. I hope some major cleanup takes place.

Nope, never have spun my yarn. Reminds me of sleeping beauty though...

Love your posts Brenda and your outlook on life. Thinking of you and your DB as well!

PM, our DS is planning a European jaunt in May, at his own expense, (he's a serious miser too) for the OLPC cause. He will also be visiting the famous Laura, the lady made famous with her horrid knit scarf which I was asked to complete years ago, and also with the fact that she has multiple boyfriends on the go at all times. I'm sure there will be more on that escapade later.

V, what can I say? Weddings bring out people's personalities. There are more "last minute" types around than I can cope with. It just is not my style and I think is rude to everyone it affects. (Am I referring to my own husband here?) So my sympathies are with you. Are you ladies at the fittings stage with your wardrobes?

OK, I must prepare for a trip to the dump now, and lots more.

Happy Sunshine!
    'bug

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Eden, you must be worried about Jen....

I had Bell's Palsy and some of the things that brought me comfort were an eye patch (with the gauze eye strips underneath) - because I couldn't close my eye to sleep, and lip balm. Keeping her eye protected is important since she can't blink.

I was very scared when I had it because I was new in the Navy and felt all alone, but the doctor assured me that all of my symptoms were normal. My mom sent me a care package with the eye patch - she always took good care of me.

I have read (because I think I've had this happen to me) that Bell's Palsy sticks with you for life (much like chicken pox) so that you can suffer a much milder attack. When I've had it, it has been a dull ache on the same side of the face, but never the full paralysis.

I hope you're all feeling better soon.

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Just in from the garden. Gorgeous day out there. Perfect! First day I put on a short sleeve shirt under a fleece jacket. Take the jacket off, put it back on, and repeat. [g] Still trimming and working on spring clean up. Put the soaker hoses and black plastic on the veggie beds. If I just had enough energy to start about 6am and go until sundown and get it all ready to go, I would be so happy! :-) But I just keep chipping away at it. It is shaping up out there and I think there will be a lot to be very happy about this year. I see lupine reseeded all over the bed it was in. Viola seeds have sprouted. Leaves are opening on the Japanese Maple and the Viburnum carlesii look like they have a bumper crop of buds this year. The spring bulbs are almost at their peak but it will be a few years before I have the spring display the way I want it. It's getting there!

Wish you all had the time and the weather to have had the same kinda morning. :-) Hoping for some reassuring news about Jen for Eden and family.

Great news about David's progress, Mary! He must be so relieved and thrilled. Imagine what a difference a day makes. Spring is a great time of year to be turning a corner into blue skies.

Gardenbug, I am SO excited for you to have your ticket to head West! DH must be excited too. How much time can he take off from work? DD & SIL must be thrilled, and let's not forget Skyler too! How exciting for DS to be heading to Europe soon! You must be very happy that he is following his passion. Now who is this Laura? I must have missed some previous story, which sounds very interesting. [g] Will DS be able to head West with all of you for the 'arrival'?

Well...lunchtime.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Crisis over. MRI came back neg. and they let her come home. Thanks for all of your reassuring words. I wish I had time to comment on all I just read but I'm heading over to Jen's. Still no sign of Kate :) Wonder if Baby Surprise will get here first?

Eden

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Happy news, Eden! Jen will be glad to see you, I'm sure. Thanks for letting us know. Hope you get some sleep later. :-)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Eden, I am so happy that Jen does not have Bell's Palsy.
    A friend had it many years ago and still has residual affects.

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Whew! Eden what a relief.

Mary , Davids progress is reasuring too.

Hi all I need to get caught up with you all, but need to get back outside right now.

Norma

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Good afternoon, Idylls!

Eden, wonderful news about Jen. Any idea what was going on? Pinched nerve or something, perhaps?

Kathy, it's encouraging to hear that your company is calling back some people. There are very small signs of economic optomism locally, but it's going to take some time.

Chelone, you always make me laugh! The cartoon woman's name is Maxine, and I admire her greatly...she says what I think. Although, as I get older I tend to not only think, but say :)

Bug, have a wonderful trip! I had to smile that Skyler's birthday is Wednesday. That is also my skidiving buddy's birthday, and he has been affectionately dubbed Skyboy. DH even sings a little song about him. I will spare you that, as DH tends to be an a$$ sometimes, lol!

This morning was supposed to begin with a fresh shipment of pigs. Due to arrive at 10:00. That works...I'll have time to have my coffee, do yoga, and putter around without being in too big a hurry. Be careful what you wish for. By the time I finished yoga, the updated version of the day was....the pigs will be arriving sometime in the next couple of hours. Don't know for sure when, so don't get too involved in anything. Grrr! Putz around some more. It ended up being 3:00 or so by the time they got here and got put in their pens. Nobody can blow a day for you like a pack of farmers!
    While waiting for the pigs DB called with his results. Not so good. The cancer has spread more in his bones and lungs, and there is now a spot on one of his kidneys. He said the doc didn't mention the brain cancer, so he's assuming that it's behaving fairly well. He will go Monday for some different form of chemo. I was supposed to go hang out with him tomorrow. Now, this is my brother.....he just breaks my heart sometimes. He told me he doesn't want me to come up tomorrow. It's supposed to be 65 and a beautiful day, and he wants me to stay home, leave the phone in the house, and spend the day in the yard. He said he knows how much I need a day like that, and he knows I haven't had any yet this spring. He's worried about me with everything going on, and it being time to get in the fields. He says we'll just wait for a rainy day. I truly do not know what I will do without that man. There were people I needed to call, who were waiting to hear his results, and I've done that. DS drove over to give me a hug :), and I am now officially tapped out. I'll be taking ANOTHER shower at an odd time of day, only this time there is NO question...I will NOT be getting dressed. I'm going to spend a little more time in the yoga fort, open a bottle of wine, and do as I damn well please the rest of the day. Tomorrow, I am taking my big brother's adivce, and cutting all ties to the world. I would not want to be the person that tries to foul up my day in the sun.
    I can no longer stand the smell of hog that has permeated my clothes, hair and skin, so I'm gonna hit the showers.
    Take care, all...talk to ya later!
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

PM, it sounds like you had a lovely day in the garden. Im envious. We are supposed to have rain on the weekend.

Eden, what a relief. My sister had Bells Palsy after giving birth but it was short lived scary though.

My, how the excitement is mounting for the Idyll babies.

Mary, what great news about Davids progress.

Martie, weve been missing you. Good to hear that Rich has some prospects. As for swimming its been great for me. The Dr. has ordered some aquatic therapy so I hope to learn some things that might be beneficial to continue into the future.

Chelone, "beautiful" is not a word Id use in the same sentence with salamanders. LOL

Where is Deanne these days?

Got to run.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Here is the account of what I did yesterday:
    ( Copied from the "Entertaining Diversion thread.)
    "I got quite a bit done outside today. I planted two of my potted plants, a Catalpa tree, and a Weigela Java Red. Then I did a little weedeating, and put up a fence around the flowerbed back of the house. I noticed the deer and/or rabbits had snacked on a lot of what is in it, but thank goodness they did not get the little forget-me-not. I found a forget-me-not in the front yard bed also. I am so happy about them. They have to be from the seed EI sent me. They are both in bloom.
    I need to relocate the tacky fence from around the front bed, and have Nolon help me install the new fencing there. I will put the tacky fencing around the side bed.
    The problem with my fence around the back bed is it is not only deer and rabbit proof, but it is also people proof! In order to get into it, I will have to take down part of it. I need to create a gate.
    I was surprised and pleased that I was able to dig the holes for the potted plants, with not much effort. Now if I am able to move tomorrow, I hope to do more. "

Today I put 5 more of my potted shrubs into the ground. There are at least 12 more to go! Then there will be all the plants for deck pots! Two more weeks and all the indoor ones will go out! Whoopie!
    I put fencing around all the shrubs and perennials that the deer like. I have about ran out of fencing, except for the new roll.

I am keeping up with all the news from you all, but there is so much....I will pass on commenting on it all. Everyone else says it so much better than I do, anyway.....

Marian

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Now Brenda, I only know a bit about pigs, but I DO know that the guy next door can still smell them in our barn. I can't. They were last there in the late 1960s! I think you can scrub and scrub and you'll still smell them! Maybe you also want to ask for a day at the spa?
    I sympathize with those who must wait around for delivery people. I find it insulting that they can't even tell you whether they'll arrive morning or afternoon. I'm sure we've all experienced taking a day off from work to have the phone connected only to have the %@#$!~* ! not show.
    Oh Brenda, it is so hard to lose a parent, but a sibling or child just seems so very wrong. HUGS.

Well, handsome might be a word I'd use for salamanders. I loved them as a child and got into trouble for rescuing one and bringing it into a hotel restaurant in France one day. An older woman screamed bloody murder and i had to take my baby outdoors. I stayed with it and refused dinner. I "hated" that lady for making a scene that involved me. Since those days, DD wrote her Bachelor's thesis on salamanders in New Hampshire. I think they are mighty "cool" and colourful!

Marian, I'm glad you felt up to all your work with shrubs today. We got a lot accomplished here too, but it only points out how much there is left to do! ;) I brought out some hoses and DH said he'd turn on the water again for them. More grasses were cleaned up and loads of weeds and leaves removed. I collected some snowdrops to take to DD next week.

For those of you unfamiliar with bloodroot, it really is fun to study them. They grow like small cigars at first, unfurl their leaves to reveal a bud which blooms when in direct sun, then closes for the night and opens again the next day. They don't last very long, but they certainly say SPRING to me!

Saucy, once again I think you're such a treat of a lady! First your helpful comments this morning to Eden about your experiences with palsy, then your sweet words about spring bulbs at the farm. I love hearing about your "doin's".

PM, you asked about the Idyllunion. That information is off line because the specifics are for attendees. There will be a gathering this summer though for sure and likely photos afterwards.

I think dinner OUT sounds like a fabulous idea tonight! Must wait for DH who is installing new windshield wipers on my car. :)

'bug

PS:Tomorrow is the day that baby would be born if Surprise were to match Reed's birth day. But who knows??? Yes, the excitement builds.

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

{{gwi:155776}}

Yeah, that looks about right, Chelone ;)

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Brenda, so sorry to hear the news on your brother. Been there, done that and I do not recommend the experience to anyone else.

I'm deep into addressing the wedding invitations. You may not hear much from me until Sunday night (go ahead, breathe a sigh of relief!). I'll check in for baby news but otherwise will have the nose to the grindstone. Except, of course, we head off to DD's school to hear Verdi's Requiem tomorrow. Her choir is singing.

Ker-rack! back to work, V!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a quick wave to everyone tonight and a couple more roses-newly opened today, Amber Queen.
    {{gwi:155777}}From Roses 2009
    {{gwi:155778}}From Roses 2009

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

That's her, Brenda! she's wearing bunny slippers and that wonderfully grumpy face on our Christmas ornament, too. She has a string of lights around her neck, too. :)

I'm very sorry to learn the news for your brother is not great. Sigh. It must be hard to face tests knowing that the news may wind up being what you don't want to hear. Take today all for yourself. No telephone (aka "electronic leash"). I'll be thinking of you today and what a thoughtful brother he is to know that you need some garden time. (((Brenda)))

I'll also be thinking of V. and her generous contribution of calligraphy. I'm sure you'll feel a weight lifted from your shoulders when the task is completed, but what a special gesture it is. As for "help" that really isn't... doubly galling when you have paid for it. I hope you and DH come to consensus on the subject, stick to your guns. My unpleasant experience with the electrician leaves me in sympathy with you about contractors who don't return calls or don't meet promised deadlines and do so with no explanation. Like you really need the headache of a prduction "log jam" about now? It will all come out in the wash, but that's not much help right now. Enjoy the concert, I know I would!

Nice to see Martie drop in with a cheery update. I agree with Brenda in that the economy is going to take time to get back underway. Let's hope some things come in for Rich!

And Marian, you're some little bundle of energy and productivity these days, aren't you? I could use a gal like you to help me move firewood... doesn't that sound appealing? I have some daffodils just beginning to bloom and the ferns are JUST starting to send up nubs of fronds, but the maple flowers haven't opened, neither has the For Cynthia, or Magnolia stellata. Today is supposed to be very warm so I may find some increased activity when I get home. I hope you're able to move as far as the chair in front of the computer today, lol. ;)

NO baby news? Kathy, you'd better hold off on the rose shots and Julie, too, with the Tucker shots... if there will be any way to neutralize the coming onslaught. :) Eden, you must be mightily relieved at Jen's test results, and I agree that Saucy's words must have been a comfort.

As I was moving wood yesterday afternoon I was thinking that Woody's microclimate is almost precisely what mine is. About the lowest temperature we ever see here is -5F, and that's pretty unusual. And autumn is long and usually very, very pleasant.

I will leave you with this anonymous quote that sums up my feelings nicely and explains why, yes, I do believe salamanders and snakes are beautiful, Michelle. Are you a "sissy" about clammy animals" ;) ?

"All who breathe mean more to the true eye than their shapes show. For all were made in love and made to be beloved."

May your day be profitable, my friends.

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Brenda - I hope today's gardening will be peaceful and theraputic. You have the kindest brother imaginable - what sadness you must have felt hearing his recent test results. Many big hugs going your way.

Eden - that is wonderful news about Jen. Perhaps there will be more good tidings before the day is out.

Marian - it sounds as though you are accomplishing many tasks. Don't you love forget-me-knots? I underplant my tulips with them. The tulips soemtimes only last 5 days but the little foget-me-knots go on blooming for weeks and are delightful. I have let them self-seed rampantly in one bed this year and I'm looking forward to a pale blue ocean.

V - is your hand cramping up yet?

My head is buzzing with ideas right now as I've decided this will be the year to pursue something I've long dreamt of - some backyard chickens!!! I've been doing a lot of research and yesterday called our town hall to check on zoning laws. They gave me the thumbs up (no special requirements other than keeping them in our yard) and am having fun choosing which breed. A local farmer has rare breed chicks available 4/28, and during the time they will be indoors I'll be able to complete their coop. I figured if I can build a bathroom vanity I can make a basic hen house.

An area behind our pool fence will be fenced off to keep Clousseau out and birds in. They will have a nice size area to wander, and a safe home at night to keep them safe from foxy woxy. I think 3 will be a good number to start with. DH thinks I'm nuts but I'm sure once I wow him with some beautiful, pale blue organic eggs I'll win him over. Of course, the cost of building the coop, fencing, water dishes and feed will make them some of the msot expenisve eggs we've ever eaten.

Mary

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Good Morning, We had a beautiful, warm, sunny day yesterday and today's supposed to be even better. Best of all I had a bit of time to wander around the garden pulling weeds and pruning a few roses.

Sorry, you guys, my last post was confusing. Chalk it up to lack of sleep :) Jen does have Bell's Palsy. The MRI came back negative for something more serious. She's taking it in stride well though. Her eye's bothering her because it won't blink properly. She has drops for that. I suggested an eye patch like Saucy mentioned but the Dr. said no. They want her to use that "eye muscle", I guess you'd call it. She's also having trouble eating as she has little control of that side of her mouth. Kind of like after a trip to the dentist when your mouth is numb.

Marie, how exciting that you're leaving for your visit in just a few days. I hope you get there in time for baby's arrival. I can't wait to see that little "surprise"!

Mary, great news that David is progressing so well. So glad to hear that!

Chelone, I grew up "in the country" where we had all manner of little creatures. We were fascinated with them as children like you are now :)

I'm picturing V chained to desk for the weekend with a calligraphy pen and a stack of invitations. Seriously, what a special touch you're adding to the invitations. Calligraphy is on my list of things I want to learn someday. I think it's very cool!

Norma, the bunny hutch is darling. I like the purple color too! I'm mulling over ideas on how I want to decorate up the little conservatory for the summer.

Marty, great to hear that there are job prospects for Rich. Fingers crossed that they come through.

Brenda, I'm so sorry about your brother's news. Like V, I've been there more times than I want to remember. It's hard stuff that you just get through moment by moment the best you can.

I'm headed to the vet with one of my cats this morning and then over to Jen's to deliver the nursery lamp. Bella will be here with me this afternoon too. I may have her help me plant some of those zinnia seeds I've been procrasting on. Maybe baby news later too?? She' got to get here eventually, right? I'm beginning to wonder :) Have a great day everyone!

Eden

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Mary, I just read your post and had to comment on the chickens! How exciting! Something I would love to do too but we're not allowed them here. We always had chickens when I was growing up. I'll be looking forward to hearing all about this new adventure at your house!

Eden

• jak1
    15 years ago

Good morning all! A bright, warm and beautiful day dawning here. And what am I doing? Cooking and serving 288 hot dogs *sigh*

Brenda, you have had a few hard knocks lately - DS's job evaporating, and DB's unsettling test results. Sometimes the skies are cloudy even when they're sunny...

V. thanks for clarifying the wedding thing. Wow, hadwritten invites! What a beautiful thing to do for the happy couple . Special memories for sure! Glad the carpet guys are coming today, one more detail taken care of !

Eden, I don't think the Bells Palsy is particularly dangerous, but it sure doesn't sound pleasant, and poor Jen: the last little bit of pregnancy is just crummy. We are all hopeful for baby news today!

And 'Bug, you're getting away on Tuesday! Would it be a neat thing for Skyler to welcome "Surprise" on his birthday?

PM2, I am a 2:30 a.m. waker too. And then I don't get back to sleep. The doctor gave me some meds, and If I take a half of one when I wake in the night, I go right back to sleep. If I do that for a few nights, then the cycle is broken and I sleep through without assistance. I resisted the meds for many years but finally just gave in. It is working for me. I find that I worry needlessly about things in the night. This way I am much more rational about things and the Phils say I am much less like Maxine if I have slept *LOL*

My raised beds are ready too, topped up with 3 way mix and sitting blissfully in the sun. My seedlings are close to ready; I may move them from under the lights to sunny windows to start preparing them for the great outdoors. I can crack the windows open a touch for the air circulation...Last year my tomatoes were monsters by the middle of May.

Mary! Yea for David! It's a long haul but he is doing it! Good for him.

And Marian - what a ton of work you have completed! Our Hort. Society could use someone like you!

Wow, pigs and chickens, dogs and salmanders, even kids. We could rival Kratt's Kreature's here (also known as Zoboomafoo).

Well, the hot dogs and the real dogs are calling. Happy Friday everyone!

Cheers,

Julie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I am excited for you Mary! Think of all the chicken-doo you'll have for the garden - another way to offset the expense of the coop :)

Eden, I thought that's what you meant with the MRI results. I think I only wore the patch at night so that my eye would stay closed. My eye did not close all the way. I hope she feels better soon.

Kathy, you are becoming quite the photographer with your new camera - of course it doesn't hurt that you have such willing subjects in all their glory! I love the peachy yellows!

It is nice to hear from Cornfield Park! Glad to hear Rich's news.

Chelone, I am proud to have diverse wildlife on my little slice of land, too, and find beauty in everyday things. I found a black frog yesterday in the neighbor's pond. The kids always find salamanders around here, but I don't know where they look.

Well, I think I'm going to play in the cement again today. I need to tweak my formula a bit, because I'm not happy with the color that I used (not strong enough....too much gray still showing through), but here is a little taste:

A giant elephant ear....
    {{gwi:155779}}

...now cast to last:
    {{gwi:155780}}

A look at how it is cupped (so you could use it for a water garden, having the water pump over the leaf and run off:
    {{gwi:155781}}

I'm going to work on some more ideas today. I am not terribly excited about putting my "wares" out there for the whole world to critique at the plant sale, and am kind of feeling like I don't like to sell my stuff. This will be a good learning experience. I think I would rather teach other people....

Hope you all have a great day.

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Marian, meant to comment on your day of gardening. What alot you got accomplished. It's tiring but a good tired I think. Now that you have the Forget Me Nots (Myosotis) let them go to seed and you'll never be without them. I love them in my garden!

Julie, correct, Bell's Palsy is mostly just uncomfortable. We were glad to know that's what it was and not something more serious :)

Saucy, I'll suggest to Jen to wear a patch at night. Her eye's the same as you describe, it won't close all the way and it's what's bothering her most. I love that casting! Yes it would be a beautiful addition to a water garden. Haven't I seen where they're sometimes painted after the fact? I think so...

Eden

• denisez10
    15 years ago

mon dieu, it's Friday! (where's Sue?) As if Jen weren't uncomfortable enough in the last trimester, now Bell's palsy? I was hoping for some different news! My mom currently has a bad case of shingles, no doubt due to the recent health crisis of my dad, who seems to be improving day by day. I wonder how Deanne's case of shingles is coming along.

Brenda, have a nice, decompressing day in the fort and/or garden, no pigs to vex you. What a special relationship you have with your brother. Best wishes to your family.

Saucy the leaf cast is fabulous. I saw some smaller ones at a nursery yesterday but still pricey ($145!) Ever do the ligularias, with that nice ruffly edge? I swore that I wouldn't bring home any coleus this year, cutting way back on pots/watering, but amended that pledge yesterday, bringing home just one..and it was the mighty Kong!

Chelone, did you buy the lumber for the work tables? Old doors can sometimes be repurposed for something like that, if there's a salvage yard nearby. Good wood and cheap. Joseph the tabby has brought two lizards to the porch, and yesterday's lizard's tail was nipped off quite high. I saved the poor fellow and put him under a big rosemary but survival odds don't look good.

I hope those shots do the trick for your knees, Michelle. Waving to Marian, Julie, Kathy, PM, Mary, 'bug, and all I've missed and glad to see a report from Cornfield Park. The screened-in bath porch absorbs most of our time and energy when not more gainfully employed and the end is, knock wood, in sight.

Denise

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The infernal wind has finally relented and we are to get temps in the 80s in its place..a good couple of days for puttering- I did all the heavy manual labor last weekend.

Saucy, that leaf casting is tres fabu fabu ! I love it! Wish I could fit one in my suitcase

Mary, support here for your plans for backyard chickens-they are becoming quite popular out here on the left coast , where zoning allows. They can be so beautiful too..great news on the David front too! The resiliency of youth always seems to win out in the end !

Eden, Mr Baby was within one day of being induced when DD went into labor-her issues had to do with high blood pressure. We await news, but of course I am far more interested in the vision of the periwinkle blue conservatory. Im certain Chelone would concur.

Thinking about PM and Julies sleep issues, something I have never had a problem with till recently . I think its probably stress related in my case. I actually bought some over the counter sleep aid tablets a couple of weeks ago, but have only used them twice. Im the type who is out like a light with a shot of Nyquil so these things were very effective indeed. Hoping that the stress level will abate at the awfice- the challenge is to shut off the brain at night, or at least direct it elsewhere-baseball, trashy novels, whatever ! Brendas yoga fort comes to mind.

And speaking of Brenda, I hope your garden day was all you wished for and that you remain strong for the road ahead with DB. There are some things that are just out of our control yknow ?

Julie, your hot-dog tasks never fail to remind me of my elementary school (St Eugenes) in Los Angeles- Catholic schools did not have cafeterias but every Friday was Hot Dog Day and the moms would serve us up out of a makeshift kitchen in the auditorium. And I also will comment on your DH and the choir-at St Eugenes the choir was always the 7th and 8th grade classes- I still have some pretty good Latin skills ! Pange lingua gloriosi etc

Denise, good tidings there with the Dad stuff, nice to see a post from you..

Okay todays rose Sombreuil, one of my faves {{gwi:155782}}From Roses 2009
    {{gwi:155783}}From Roses 2009

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I went out behind the storage shed where Nolon was cutting wood this morning. I heard a rather loud buzz of wings past my head. It was the season's first hummingbird! Nolon had already been seeing it back there. I need to wash out my feeder and fill it with nectar. There isn't much in the line of hummingbird flowers yet. The Honeysuckle by the front door is just now opening.

I planted 4 more of my potted plants today. I ran into a job that I was unable to complete, and had to enlist Nolon's help. It was the digging out of an old grapevine root. I had managed to pull one of the two posts where the grapevines used to be, after removing the wire the grapes grew on, but was unable to pull the second post. Nolon 'pulled' it also. I now have 4 shrubs planted in that area.....a new shrub row. I left the third post because I have a clematis growing on it. Now there is a Summer Snowflake Viburnum, an old fashioned Lilac, a Cornelian Cherry, and a Ninebark. I left them quite far apart to account for their mature sizes. I need to fill in between them with some lowgrowing plants. Maybe I will use Flowering Currants. I love them, and have lots of available sprouts.

Naturally most everything I plant requires deer protection. I succeeded in finding more fencing.

I planted a Goldmound Spiraea in front of the frontyard Honeylocust. There was a bed of creeping Phlox there, but it had almost all died out. I encountered three Gladiola bulbs while digging the hole. Two were transplanted elsewhere. The third was destroyed in the digging. They never bloomed last year, anyway.
    Back of the house, I planted a dwarf red-leaved Nandina, by the utilityroom door. I have aways wanted one, so when I saw them at Wal Mart last tues, naturally I had to buy one. :-)
    I planted a rosebush there also.Maybe the deer will not be so bold as to eat it there.

At the far end on the old garden spot, I planted a purple smoketree. I have wanted one of them for years too.

I set out two differant varieties of red-leaved weigela,W.Dark House, and W. Java Red.

I am pretty disappointed to realize that the two potted plants from Vernon Barnes and Son, that I bought as Japanese Viburnums, were mislabeled. I am pretty sure they are Mockoranges instead. I already have mockoranges running out of my ears! :-(

Now, to some of the more serious happenings in your lives:

Brenda, I am so very sorry about your DB. The only consolation that I can see is that you are where you can get together with him. I did not have that option when my brother suffered the heart attack 2-3 years ago, and had triple bypass. Your brother sounds like a real gem.

Eden, I did misunderstand your report about Jen. I hope it will be a short lived bout with the Bell's Palsy.

Marie, I can almost imagine how excited you are about your trip to Sarah's. I hope you will get there in time for the arrival of the dear baby. I was at the hospital when each one of my three GDs arrived.

Mary, that is wonderful news about David's progress. Although it will still be a long drawn out process, in a year or so it will be just a bad memory.
    Only 3 baby chicks? That isn't enough. We had 40+ to begin with, and ours were already laying. It was a mix. I enjoyed them. I am afraid you will not get much fertlizer from only 3!

Chelone, I will pass on moving firewood. Carrying in each day's supply is enough of that for me. Maybe I can put up some welded wire fencing for you instead? ;-)

Saucy, that Elephant's ear is going to be a beautiful cement container. I never was involved in creating such things. Sounds like a lot of work, but something to be proud of.

I hope the forget-me-nots will do a lot of reseeding. This makes the third year for them, and so far I have only seen the two plants. I am afraid they may be varmint food also.:-(

Rainy weather is to move in tonight, and last until monday. It will be good for my transplants. It is more seasonal temps too, so I will not need to have heat at night, and only fire up the stove in the mornings to take the chill off.

I hope all are looking forward to a lovely weekend.

Marian

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

We've had gorgeous weather for several days now. I'm in scrambling mode, trying to get everything accomplished.

We seem to be having issues with Phoebe, namely many people wanting to care for her! Woody has had trouble with her aid and it just isn't the right time for them to deal with our dog. I have a friend from French Club who has been begging to walk her, so this will work out quite well I hope. The kennel also said they'd like her (for big bucks ;)) and a woman I've never met wants to keep her and see how her kids respond to a big dog as they hope to get one. I'm nervous about them though since I've never met them, even though they are friends of friends. Anyway, when it rains it pours! So I think Denis will be the one visiting Phoebe for lunch and evenings. The cat sitters will deal with mornings. The gardener friends also love her.

I spoke at length to DD today. Today would be the birth day if the pattern with Reed were to be repeated. She is a bit disappointed as the 17th is a kind of magic day for her. DSIL is once again quitting smoking and is crabby and nervous now. He is anxious about preparing a scavenger hunt for Skyler's birthday on the weekend of the 26-7th and is annoyed that he is being sent to Calgary on business on Wednesday. I think he'll be feeling better in a couple of days.
    DD said:
    "I sure hope that Baby 2 doesn't look at all like Reed did... that might be a bit too much for me (and everyone else who misses him).

DH and I were sure Reed would have black/really dark hair like both of us (did - DH is pretty gray and balding), and Reed was a blondie! Maybe this baby will have a dark head of hair?"

OK, tomorrow is haircut day and a bridal shower, then company from Toronto and out for dinner. Still packing etc to complete, then lists for the pet care givers to make up. DH has shoes to buy and a haircut as well. So it is getting down to the wire! Better not forget my camera, you think? LOL.

I'll be looking for Jen's photos while I'm away! OK, and some puppy, kitty and rose pics too! Maybe some salon cutting surfaces too?

Ciao,
    'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

I have a few hours of sewing in the Lab. this morning. It's a charity job for our neighbor, one that will ensure access to his impressive variety of landscaping/excavating machinery. He's the one with the OOC (out of control) dogs that love to romp with Wrecks. After that I have some remainning rounds of firewood to move and that will give the huge one plenty of time to do what dogs do in their territory.

What nice, cheerful things to read from my far-flung Idyll friends this morning. Mary, I am delighted by the progress David is making and can only imagine the relief it brings to everyone in your family. It's been a very long haul, I know. And hens! how very exciting. I have every confidence you'll be able to make a very respectable coop and enclosure for them. Do you think 3 will be enough? I was thinking more like 5-6. :)

Saucy, your leaf casting is gorgeous! I really want to try that now. I don't have a clear notion of what sort of tint you were aiming for in the concrete, though. The grey doesn't bother me particularly... do you have another casting with a tint that is more pleasing to your eye? Something tells me you are going to sell out of your "wares" in no time flat and end up with enough money to hire all manner of help for the GG. :) We used to find salamanders all the time when I was a kid in Massachusetts, but they were the small reddish ones ((2-3"). Here, the predominant "finds" are the big black ones with the yellow dot trim package; I've found them in the large size (5-6") and also as little tykes (1-3"). I've only found one of the reddish numbers and that was last fall when we were splitting wood.

Wow, Marian! there's no stopping you these days, it seems. Nice to read about it. Nothing like nice weather and the promise of more to come to fill a gardener with zeal and energy to dig more holes. ;) If ever I need assistance with welded wire fence I know you'll be my girl. You and Saucy have really gotten me thinking about Viburnums. My daffodils are just now starting to open and the Magnolia blossoms started to open in yesterday's warmth but today and tomorrow are to be chilly so maybe they'll go "on hold". No sight of any hummingbirds yet, but the bats were quite active at dusk yesterday. The helpmeet and I sat and watched them for a long time, they put on quite an air show.

Will today be the day for Kate's much anticipated arrival? or will the countdown continue? It's a shame the zoning prohibits poultry in your area, Eden. I can see you with a flock following you around your "back forty". And I like the idea of periwinkle blue conservatory very much... time to get Brad workin' on that, don't you think? I have been contemplating my next cake, too, Eden. I've wanted to make a Lord Baltimore cake for some time now, but will have to attempt a boiled frosting to complete it. I've never made that before, but how hard can it be since I have a candy thermometer and the KITCHEN AID mixer... dum de dum dum.

'bug, are you down to counting the minutes 'til departure? :) No matter what Surprise looks like it will be perfect; and if there is some of Reed included I think that will be right and just fine, too, a gentle reminder that he'll be with you always and everything will be OK. :) I'm not sure I'd be so willing to turn my dog over to a family I've never met, either. Seems a little too risky, not because their hearts aren't in the right place but because it takes a lot of thought and time to take care of a dog, especially when it's someone else's! Phoebe is going to miss you. But she'll be fine. There are clusters of eggs attached to the decayed vegetation in the little pond, but if they're salamander, frog, or toad eggs is a mystery to me. But a joy, nonetheless. ;)

Nice to hear from you, too, Denise. I'm glad your Dad seems to be making a recovery and sorry that your Mom has shingles. She must be worried sick about your Dad. No good comes from worry, does it? Screened in outdoor bath sounds pretty luxurious... it will be fun to see pictures of it. California cats really have it good... sunshine and leapin' lizards. Salamanders don't move very quickly and are therefore of no interest to our pride. Thank heavens for rodents!

I wonder if we'll hear from Deanne soon? I miss the updates from her vole-infested acreage and we could definitely use some of her bird and garden pictures to offset the coming avalanche of pickled baby shots... ;)

Yes, wood for the tabling is in the Salon awaiting pickling. Maybe today? tonight? dunno. The casters were shipped yesterday I think. And the 4x4s are still in the "kiln", "dryer" boiler room drying for at least a few more days. I haven't checked the butt ends to see if the moisture is retreating to the very centres of the posts, but they'll be drier than when they were put in there. The more time they have to dry the easier it will be for the helpmeet to plane them and put the chamfered edge on them. And they'll be a lot lighter to move around.

OK, I have to deal with that nasty canvas now. Talkatcha later. Maybe. :)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Quickly before I have to go...

Chelone, DD used to lay down boards in moist woodsy areas, then return later, flip them, and then count the salamanders. Mostly the orange ones were there. Some years were better than others for the poor critters. Also snakes are often found sunning on wood piles, or nesting within the wood pile.

'bug

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Opps, I missed a piece of info I was going to give Denise. The lizard should be fine. They pop off their tail as a defense messure. While the predator is concentrating on the still moving tail, they make their escape. The lizard will grow a new tail.
    I am glad to hear that your dad is improving daily, but sorry that your mom has shingles. That is an affliction that I have escaped....so far.

The planting of all my potted shrubs is a job that I had put off much too long. I have always had a tendency to be like the Everready bunny, once I get started on an outside job. Between the loosening of my muscles, and the meds that I seem to have properly adjusted, I am doing okay. I do rest a lot more than I used to. I have found that following Nolon's example, and keeping a chair close, is a good idea. :-)
    It won't be long until there are chiggers and biting flies to contend with. So far is is only ticks. So far I have removed 4 or 5 that were embeded on my body, and 'caught' others that were still unattached.

The rains have not arrived yet....and it is to be about 70 today, and overcast.

Chelone, how nice to have access to the neighbor's machinery. How nice it would be if we still had a tractor and a trailer. Of course we have the riding mower, but it does not serve the need for hauling stuff.
    I haven't thought to look for bats in the evenings. They are surely out now.

Marie, sorry about all the anxieties with you and the rest of the family.I hope all smooths out soon.

Marian

• saucydog
    15 years ago

My heated seed mats are working! I have 2 varieties of castor bean up, and salvia argentea "artemis"! Cardoon hasn't made an appearance yet, but what can you expect in 3 days? (I know I said I'd sow seeds two weeks ago, but it takes me longer than I expect with all the shennanigans of everyone else in this house!)

Deanne, not one thing you shared has moved on to the compost pile:

Deanne gave me these cuttings on a Saturday, and by Tuesday they had roots!
    {{gwi:155785}}

Into the tray:
    {{gwi:155786}}

And under the lights:
    {{gwi:155787}}

Even the abutilon and iresine cuttings in the window sill have roots now!
    {{gwi:155788}}

Thank you so much, Deanne!

I'm going to water my bananas in the greenhouse - how many people can say that?

Saucy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Gb - I feel so bad that things are so topsy-turvy here at the moment that we can't take Phoebe this time. I was looking forward to seeing her in her silver coat and seeing how much she has matured. It sounds like she's a very popular girl so hopefully will get all the attention and care she needs and deserves.

Marian - can you send me some of your energy please ?! That's an impressive amount of garden work you've motored through!

Mary - great news about David's progress. Summer must be looking much more attractive/positive for him these days....

Saucy - great leaf cast - is there a post or something under the leaf to make it easy to set up as a birdbath?

Eden - poor Jen! I hope that the Bell's Palsy passes quickly... I am all too familiar with the problems and inconveniences of an eye that won't close properly and the difficulties of eating with facial paralysis. As others have said and as, I'm sure, the doctors have emphasized, protecting the eye is the priority. Is the tear production affected in that eye? If she still has tears, that will help mitigate the problem a bit but regular, generous application of artificial tears/lubricants is still necessary to protect the cornea from dryness. One alternative for night-time protection is swim goggles... (look a bit funny - but works well...) Get some CIBA Software contact lens saline (which has no preservatives or other chemicals that could damage her eyes) and put some in the goggles before putting the goggles on - the saline will provide a high-humidity, moist environment that, combined with an eye lubricant such as Lacrilube (causes blurrieness so best for night-time use primarily) will ease night time discomfort. But both the lubricant and the saline would need to be reapplied a couple of times in the night (e.g. whenever she gets up to go to the bathroom...)

Looks like a nice day coming up here today so I hope to get some time in the garden to work on cleaning sod out of the new bed.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Last night I planted the shrub I bought in the front yard. Ive been pondering that area trying to decide what should go in there. A friend surprised me with a lovely trellis that will look good against the garage wall. Im thinking it will need a clematis.

Kathy, I was wondering what Mr. Baby was up to these days. Doing lots of adorable things Im sure.

Saucy, Ive seen the leaf castings where they were painted with iridescent paints in blues and greens that I thought was so pretty.

Mary, chickens will be so fun. Ive often thought of them but never get around to it. Plus my chicken coop is now my garden shed.

bug, enjoy your time with family.

Brenda, what a disappointment for your brother. What a sweetheart he must be.

Chelone, I admit Im a sissy. No salamanders, snakes, rats, mice etc.

Denise, I can hardly wait to see the completed bath porch.

Id best get going. I want to run to town for seeds and some other necessities like food. This afternoon I have a bridal shower I need to attend. They do call for rain so I wont feel so bad sitting indoors. Interesting that Colorado which is only about 8 hours from here is having a snowstorm and we hit the mid 70s yesterday.

Later

Michelle

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

A quick IQ test for you:

See if you can figure out what these words have in common. I'll check back later to give you the answer. ;)

1. Banana
    2. Dresser
    3. Grammar
    4. Potato
    5. Revive
    6. Uneven
    7. Assess

busy busy busy....
    'bug

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Well I had a nasty surprise this AM. Came down with a horrible stomach virus that kept me in bed half the day. Id not had a cold or flu all winter and dont remember the last time I was this sick. Im feeling a lot better now thank heavens.

The really great news is that Doug finished his first week at the new job and he really likes the company and the people he is working with. The other bonus is that its only a half hour commute for him.

The gardens are unbelievably dry at the moment and Im hoping we get some of the predicted rain. We could really use an inch or more at the moment. I still have to get the driveway garden cleaned out. I havent touched it since I discovered the vole damage to the Hakone grass.

Mary, thats terrific news about David! Im so happy to hear hes improving so much. He must be thrilled to be back on his feet. Love it that you are going to get chickens.

Denise, Glad to hear your Dad is improving but sorry to hear about your Moms shingles. They really are pretty awful. I hope she gets over them soon. ~~~ Im completely healed up now and only have a few scars but they are on my bum so no one will ever see them ! LOL

Saucy, I LOVE that leaf casting!!!!! Im going to have to learn to do those also. Thats just beautiful. ~~~ How wonderful that all the cuttings rooted up and are thriving! Fantastic! Im so pleased you were able to come up and get them. Im hoping Wendy has the same success.

Brenda, big HUGS. I'm so very sorry to hear the news about your brother.

OK Im running out of steam hear and need to go and have a nap or something. Waving hello to everyone!

Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

88 degrees here in the Kathy garden, so Ive retreated inside for awhile. This is the time of year that it seems to stay very pleasant in the house even with all doors and window opened. I decided to try planting out one of my Amaranth Viridis seedlings today- there are no temps under 40 predicted for the next several days, and it would be very unusual to have frost in May. Im going to plant out some of my Old Mexico Zinnias tomorrow as well. Pushin the envelope here !

bugdouble double letters !

Deanne, glad to hear that things are positive for Doug-I hope you arent letting those d**m voles and the incident with the Hakone grass discourage you . Think of it as an opportunity to try something new. In answer to your question over yonder I scored my first Ipomea today-Bleak Heart along with a few succulents and some Calibrachoa- I was looking for Lantana but it seems to be a little early. Some of mine will come back . but we had cold temps this winter so I lost the majority. Have you ever tried propagating them ? I also got a very cool golden Millet which will be part of a container combo featuring my "Deanne" Plectranthus , and Coleus Jungle Fever.

Im going to head over to Target early in the am , and check out their 2" succulents I want to plant up one of my moss baskets tomorrow too.

Saucy, just love those seedling heat mats ! Ive put mine away for the year, but they allowed me to use the garage instead of the house to start seeds this winter.

Wave to everyone- seems like many Idylls have nice weather this weekend aint it fun to go out and play ?

The potting bench was a busy place today... {{gwi:155789}}From Roses 2009

The seedlings learn to cope with 85 degrees {{gwi:155790}}From Roses 2009

Doobie takes a nap under Graham Thomas {{gwi:155791}}From Roses 2009

Later ! Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Are you peeking or have you already given up? Give it another try....
    Look at each word carefully. You'll kick yourself when you discover the
    answer.
    . .
    . .
    . .

Answer: No, it is not that they all have at least 2 double letters....
    . .
    . .
    . .

Answer: In all of the words listed, if you take the first letter, place it at the end of the word, and then spell the word backwards, it will be the same word.

• denisez10
    15 years ago

That's great news about Doug's new job. What a relief.

Michelle, a trellis is the best kind of surprise from a friend.

Culinary non sequitur: This is one of the best artichoke seasons I've seen in a couple years. Last year was a miserable artichoke year, but this one stands to make up for it, so spring cooking is off to a good start on that score.

Thanks for the input on our lizard friends, Marian. I know the tail can take some damage, but this little guy was bit pretty close to the torso. Rescued another one yesterday, big as a tokay gecko but tail still intact. (Duncan kept geckos for many years, consumers of vast quantities of crickets and mealworms.)

I can fritter a day away with the best of 'em. Work deadlines loom but attention was focused on the garden all day. Still contemplating baking a lemon cake if I can twist a driver's arm to fetch half a dozen lemons or, god forbid, I'd have to change into clean street clothes. Long Beach's Grand Prix is in full swing, access blocked near the shoreline where the cars will whiz through city streets, roar of the engines the constant background noise.

Very much enjoying your photos and garden reports, Kathy. I watched the old Scorcese movie Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore couple nights ago, wondering if it's become dated. Have to say Ellen Burstyn's performance is still simply amazing. I kept hearing shouts from behind closed bedroom doors demanding to know what I was cackling over. Nothing clears a room in a house full of men like a chick flick...

In keeping with the West Coast photo marathon, sweet peas are almost over, getting shorter and shorter stems due to increasingly warm temps. Some vines were pulled to make way for Moulin Rouge sunflowers, started in small pots but already 6 inches high with good root systems. Too lazy to resize so excuse gigantor photo.

Have a great Sunday.

{{gwi:155792}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice one Marie ! You got me ...

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Marie, you got me too. I studied and studied, and decided it was that all of them had six letters!

• chelone
    15 years ago

Happy Patriot's Day! April 19, 1775. Have any of you read, "April Morning" (Howard Fast, I think)

I ruminated on the puzzler while moving more rounds of firewood, noting the advance of spring, clipping back some brambles, and watching the line of cars pass my house. I came to the realization that the minus the first letter the remaining letters read the same forward and backward. But I lacked the presence of mind to move the first letter to end! Guess the CIA won't be calling to put me on code cracking duty any time soon. :)

And spring is advancing on the Compound. I've finished getting the rounds out of the woods just in time, the ferns are beginning to send up the fronds and I'm holding out hope that not too many of them have been trampled by zealous arborists! The ferns are probably my most favorite feature, so easy, so reliable, so hardy... and they make a perfect clubhouse for kitties and curs on very hot days. The little Trout Lilies are sending up mottled leaves and the wild LOV and some other darling spring ephemerals will be up soon. I concur with Deanne that we are in dire need of rain. It's been well over a week since the last soaking and it's amazing how quickly things dry out when there are brisk winds and plants are starting to put on lots of seasonal growth.

The big tree that was taken down (the one I've moved piece by piece, lol) was largely rotten and had voluntarily shed a few big branches last year. I was unsure what to do with large pieces of pretty dead wood and then it hit me: soak them in the pond and then place them in and around the old tree as "reefs" for moss colonies and possibly housing units for salamanders! My goal is the clean up the surrounding woodland areas to a moderate degree, removing piles of brush that have been started and abandonned by the spousal mess-maker so the lay of the land and natural flora can be enjoyed with relative ease. I hope my idea works, I'll definitely be out there collecting spores and mixing up a potion of moss and butter milk to pour over the soaked wood. :)

BIL came over for a walk about yesterday afternoon and casually remarked that Rex doesn't run off on me nearly as much as he does the helpmeet. Hehehe, no kidding. He wondered why. I spend lots more time on basic obedience with that fool dog than does the helpmeet. And interestingly, in general I'm much more engaged with the dog when we're outdoors. I talk to him, call him over to me frequently, put him through his paces, and give him a microscopic treat as a reward. I keep a ball at my side and periodically toss it for him and then call him back to my side, before releasing him and allowing him to carry it off to Sanitary Ridge to "guard" it. Last week we had what I'm chosing to regard as a minor success. I was in the woods, the dog was in the circle watching the road. I should have insisted he was closer to me but I wasn't paying full attention (bad me!). Anyway, a neighbor walked by with her Pug. Rex got up, grew the Mohawk and barked once. I told him to stay and he looked at me for a long moment before succumbing to temptation and trotting over for an unescorted "looky-see". I waved and called to her and began walking over to collect the dog. Now, he didn't do what I'd commanded, but he DID look to me when I called to him (this is huge), AND he didn't take off at a gallop barking wildly, either. He simply sniffed the Pug gently and sniffed her offered hand. And happily followed me back into the yard when we'd finished chatting. On her return trip he remained in a down/stay in the circle while I continued working some 40' away. And there is no more explosive barking when he's in the car and sees a dog on the side of the road. At least when he's in the car with me. ;) I would definitely throw in the towel if I didn't measure success in incremental units.

And lastly, lovely to see some sign of life from Deanne. Good to know the assault on your stomach has abated and you've emerged none the worse for wear. I hear ya on the dry conditions and there is vole damage here, but the extent of it is still largely unknown. I'll be thinking of you next to your driveway when I'm uncovering the back gardens. What's new in the painting world these days? And I'm delighted that Doug is finding his new job acceptable and enjoys the people. That's a big plus!

Doobie under the rose is the picture of relaxation. There is nothing I like more than working around the yard and having the pride come by for a visit every so often. Even when they're "bearing gifts".

The Sweet Peas are so delicate and pretty in the jaunty blue and white vases. Something on that order will really look great next to a claw footed tub in the outdoor bath area. ;)

I agree that a trellis is a perfect gift. And a clematis will be the perfect way to decorate it, Michelle. Oh and I found a garter snake (about 18" long) yesterday and picked him up just for you. I am really working hard to get over that insanely foolish fear of them since none of the native species are venomous. I confess, though, I'd be hard pressed to pick up one that's pushing garden hose diameter. ;)

The helpmeet is watching "Wall E" and has remarked that he bears an uncanny resemblance to his wife in his dedication to "cleaning up". I can see I'll have to watch that one later on!

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Morning!
    How I wish this were artichoke country! You California ladies are so lucky! You get avocados too! The sweet peas are special too of course, especially in their pretty blue and white pots.

For V and other interested parties, a few wedding shower photos:
    The bride-to-be.
    {{gwi:155793}}

Friends...The 2 bridesmaids are on the left.
    {{gwi:155794}}

Future MIL collected the bows from gifts to make a "hat".
    {{gwi:155795}}

{{gwi:155796}}

The most adorable cheesecake...with real violets for decoration!
    {{gwi:155798}}

And today we "interview" a family about assisting with visiting Phoebe. I really hope having 5&6 year old friends works out! I'd love for her to play well with all ages.

Yesterday DD & DSIL had a very good relaxing day together after weeks of stress. They now feel much more prepared for baby #2. We enjoyed an Indian meal out with friends last night as well.

Back to zillions of odd jobs!
    'bug

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning in Idylland!

Well it looks like a Severe Clear day of sunshine in the 50s PERFECT gardening weather. Im going to tackle the Driveway Garden today. Doug answered the question as to what to do with the mat of Hakone grass that the voles ate. It turned out that it was still alive and I was going to replant parts of it, but alas, when Doug made the dump run yesterday he thought that 2 x 2 foot dead looking thing was dead and he took it to the dump with the rest of the yard waste. Oh well, now I do have to be creative and Im thinking about how to change things around now. I will miss that beautiful grass but time to move on.

I had a ball last week watching my garden birds in their spring courtship rituals. Soooo cute! The male birds feed the females. I got a pic of the Cardinals at it and they are darling! A sweet pair of Chickadees is inspecting one of the nest boxes I have up in the back and Im hoping they find it to their liking. There is a pair of Blue Jays making a nest in the hemlocks and it turns out that they use sticks from living trees and shrubs and not dead sticks on the ground. Both of the Jays have been industriously snapping branches off the lilac and the birch trees. It takes quite a bit of effort for those birds to break them off and it seems such a waste of time and effort as there are billions of broken bits on the ground after the ice storm last Dec. Im thinking that they want the green wood though as it would be much easier to bend into a nest? Something I never knew or thought about before that I found interesting.

Kathy, yes indeed I was horribly depressed and discouraged about the vole damage but Im now over it and ready to move on. ~~~ How fantastic that youve got Ipomea and Calibrachoa. I wont be able to get those tender plants for another month. ~~~ I did try to propagate lantana a few years ago but it really got buggy over winter. Now I just prune them back and strip off the foliage and winter them over dormant like I do the fuchsias. Ive got that enormous Lantana Tropical Fruit that is four years old now and youll get to see it this summer! Woohoo!!!!~~~ Couldnt see you pics this AM?

Oh my Denise!!! Those sweet peas are GORGEOUS! ~~~ I love artichokes but have never cooked a fresh one. How do you fix them?

Chelone, nothing much new in the painting world at the moment. I have to get my bum in the studio next week and start painting the piece for the June class. The next plate will have a Swallowtail butterfly. Something Ive wanted to paint for a while. Im also contemplating painting a piece for the garden. Id like to have a garden painting to hang on the back of the house in the patio area. Im trying to figure out how to weather proof it.

OK Im ready to hit the gardens. Have a great day everyone!!!!

Deanne

PS here are a few birdie pics

Blue Jay
    {{gwi:155799}}

Cardinal
    {{gwi:155800}}

And Mr. Cardinal
    {{gwi:155801}}

• jak1
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone! It is a beautiful sunny day here with a predicted high of 13C (55F) and, after yesterdays day of gentle rain, everything will pop in my garden I am certain! The men are golfing.

Kathy, I couldn't see your photos, or Deanne's, this morning, but experience tells me that I will be able to later in the day (I don't know why this happens). I had a dream last night that I dropped in on you. I don't remember much of it, but I do recall that you were having breakfast and that I was disappointed that I couldn't bring my dogs over the border. Funny, as I have never "seen" you and have absolutely no idea what you look like....I'll have to compare the real you to my dream girl at IU6! Also, dropping in on someone in California when your own residence is in Eastern Ontario, Canada, is really not too easily done!

Wow, Denise, what beautiful sweet peas! Nothing even approaching that here yet. Blue and white is one of my favourite combinations, those are gorgeous vases.

Deanne, sorry you are sick; might be a response to a sudden reduction in stress as things seem to be on the bright side for you and Doug now. Interesting about the Jays nest-building. I have seen a few here too pecking and pulling at the twigs - now I know why! Learn something interesting every day...

'Bug, that is a cool puzzle. I will send it on to DD, who loves things like this. She can solve the most difficult Sudoku's, upside down (really!) in her head...I bet she psychs this out in jig time! Have a great trip - and I agree how nice it will be for Pheobes to make some new little friends. Nice shower photos - and nice looking house too!

Chelone: You are my inspiration for these dogs. And kids too, to some extent! Although I know you hate both (grin). The use of the old wood sounds great - I am looking forward to seeing the compound as a backdrop for my imaginary friends!

After a bit of back-and-forth the Ontario government has finally agreed that I was born at sometime and sent me my new birth certificate, which I need to get a passport. My name is not spelled the same way I have spelled it all my life, go figure. I even attached my original birth certificate, albeit in four pieces, and have been told that my name on that certificate is spelled differently from that on my birth registration so the new one now is coincident. My parents had a battle over what to name me at my birth some 60+ years ago, so that might account for the discrepancy (My mother picked a name and my father did the registration with his mother's middle name as my first name and my mother's first name, which she hated, as my middle name. Lucky maybe that he spelled my mother's first name worngly - she would probably have been doubly furious if she saw that name on my birth certrificate!) Family history can be such a hoot!

So, now on to the passport office. I hope tomorrow to get the photos, I know they will be dreadful, and then I am taking the forms to my MPP for expedition. What a circus!

Off to do doggy doo clean up (I know, too much information) and then taking TCS to church, and a big lunch at the chip wagon!

Cheers, all, and garden your hearts out!

Julie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning...
    A gorgeous day here too. Clear skies after a very light rain last night. We are off to DD's for dinner soon and spent a couple of hours in the garden this morning. All of our spring bulbs are open at this point and the veggie garden is now ready to plant completely. Very satisfied with the way the yard is shaping up. Not that there are not a lot of projects waiting in the wings, but I imagine there always will be. [g]

I'm feeling talked out lately and seem to have lost my place. I do remember Julie's advice about trying to get a better night's sleep. Thanks for that Julie. I'll have to keep that in mind. I do on occasion take Melatonin which has helped getting me back on track at times, as you use the sleep meds.

Brenda...I feel very sad that your DB had less than happy news. He sounds like such a wonderful person, it just doesn't seem fair. I hope you are taking care of yourself.

Hoping that Jen is doing okay and that the BP will be improving in short order. I went two weeks late with my first and I was under the impression that with a first child, being late is very common. I hope they are getting as much sleep at night as they can, for as long as they can. [g]

Very happy to hear that your Dad is improving, Denise and what cheerful vases of sweet peas!

Yay for Doug, Deanne. Very interesting about how the Jays build nests.

Exciting that Gardenbug will soon be on her way and amazed at how much you've been able to do in the garden, Marian. Saucy, your leaf casting is so interesting. It really does look like the shape and texture of the leaf. Can't get enough of your rose photos, Kathy and impressed with the health and vigor of your seedlings.

Hope you all enjoy your Sunday. :-)

pm2

• shar2926
    15 years ago

I do not know why but your "spring fever"is the only entry that shows up when I search for "Tokay Grape starts"
    I am really wanting a rooted start of a Tokay grape......any ideas?

• jak1
    15 years ago

Maybe this time I will get the new thread start right....

Spring has sprung,
    The gras is riz
    I wonder where
    The birdies is...

All over at Deanne's, I bet!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Shar, if you type " Tokay Grape starts" into a Google search you will get thousands of sites!