Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Walk in the Woods

Posted by wendy2 zone 6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 19:44

Yesterday, some of us visited Garden in the Woods. The weather was damp and a bit rainy so I didn't take too many pictures, but I'll share some with you.

Here is a little rockery, probably quite sunny if the sun were out

A close up of the pasque flower - I can't grow these in my heavy soil, but they are so pretty

I also admired this little fern - Polypodium Virginianium or Rock Polypody

This streamside beauty is Veratrum Viride or White Hellebore - the leaves were quite striking - not sure if you can see the striped quality. Another habitat I can't offer in my yard, but I'm glad I can admire them here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Walk in the Woods

Lucky you to be able to go there! I've always wanted to visit that garden. Thanks for the pictures - are there more from you or your companions on the visit...?

o

Oh my. I love rocks. Beautiful photos. Thank you :)

o

Oh how lovely! My dodecatheon are just about to pop open..unless they freeze this week. Mine are white, but those pink ones are adorable.

o

Beautiful even without sun! Thanks, Wendy!

Martie

o

Lovely pics! Looks like someplace I have to get to sometime. Thanks for taking the time to post these.

Deanne

o

What no group shots??? It looks like a wonderful place.

Michelle

o

Thanks for posting these Wendy. What a beautiful place!

Eden

o

These are a lovely walk, Wendy. You did great close-ups too; I never would have thought it was rainy there.

Have to visit for sure one day.

Love it!

Cindy

o

Wendy, I would have loved to see that garden too. Thanks for sharing. I would love to develope more of a woodland garden here. But I have enough to take care of by myself already. I do enjoy what mother nature does on her own though. Norma

o

Hmmm... Wendy, methinks there is another really great shot I recall you taking, but I don't see it in the above offering. I think it was from a soggy area?

Note to self: next time we meet for an outing we MUST have a group photo to document the trip!

o

Ah yes, the Orontium aquaticum or Golden Club - very rare in our area...we were lucky to see this little gem.

o

WOW Wendy! Great photograph of a most unique plant. Thanks for posting this.

D

o

Thanks for posting the photos Wendy! I wish I could have been there. That last plant is very interesting.

o

I had to google that last plant. Very cool! Thanks Wendy.

Eden

o

I knew you'd forgotten something important, Wendy. Thanks for including it!

o

The pasque flower is a lot taller than I expected. Very pretty scene...thanks for sharing! :-)

pm2

o

Wow...what a neat place Wendy! And how fun to have a "girl's get together". I bet that was a lot of fun! Are the pink flowers shooting stars? That *is* a tall pasque flowers. Are you sure you can't grow pasque flowers? The red one is always a challenge here, weak growing and no multiplying, but the purple one multiplies here like crazy. I don't know what the soil is like in MA, but soils tend to be pretty heavy here in Illinois...I think you need to give it a try! :-) P.S. That fern is cool...I love ferns! Thanks for sharing this with us! Ei

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here