Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Idyll #313: Buds, Birds, Babies & Blooms!

gardenbug
17 years ago

Here's to less brrrrrr and more buds, birds, babies and blooms!

Comments (104)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hurray!The snow was gone as soon as I woke up this morning. Of course it was raining, but that at least is what April is all about. The forecast promises temperatures in the mid 40sF as the week progresses, along with sunny moments. I'll take it!

I heard from Woody that her shed is progressing slowly but surely. The delay has been very frustrating for her. Her weather is quite a bit different from mine even though we are not even an hour's drive apart. She gets to babysit a Briard puppy tomorrow.

A friend sent me a website that offers an unusual vase. Take a peek below and tell me what you think!

I'm finally getting laundry done and a bit of house clean-up. I hope to get outdoors tomorrow to tidy up the hellebore garden. I see lots of buds there, but the ground is very squishy today. I see lots of snowdrops too. They've really been expanding- which is a fine thing! The anemone blandas are ready to pop as soon as there's a bit of sun. Every day I see a few more iris reticulata too. I really must add a ton of bulbs this Fall. The early ones make a huge difference!
    Each afternoon when I look out the windows I see rabbits and groundhogs. Charlotte is less excited about chasing them this year. She's slowing down I fear. I can't even think about that. She's my first and only dog and you all know how we love her.

Thought I'd share this West African wood carving with T and others.
    {{gwi:155882}}
    It is called "Mother of Twins". Can you see the second twin being carried on the mother's back? I bought this back in the 60s from the artist, Akin Fakeye, when I taught in Nigeria. I have other carvings by him as well. If you look here
    http://www.grainsofafrica.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=150&osCsid=
    you can see a horn blower carving similar to one I have.

Off to accomplish something! (Like gazing at elk or coleus!)
    Overhead the geese are flying and they honk loudly as they pass by.
    bug

• chelone
    17 years ago

Oh it's miserable outdoors right now. It was really very warm this morning as I walked to the car. I could see the red on the horizon ("red in the morning, sailors take warning..."). It began raining around 11 AM and has gotten much colder. A look in the mirror in front of me that reflects the view out the east windows shows a combination of rain and juicy fat snowflakes. Swell! I don't have to go anywhere tonight and a fire in the stove sounds pretty nice. Thinkin' of you Deanne! :)

'bug, the linked vase is sort of interesting, but I think they could have used the middle finger more effectively. I love the carving you shared; I so like the stylized representation of the a people (I love caricatures, too) and the way the mother is celebrated and magnified (as it ought to be!). Sculptures, paintings, artwork like that made Mum uncomfortable. I'm not quite sure how I managed to dodge that bullet, isn't that silly?

I'm SO with you guys on the early spring bulbs. I have one pathetic patch of snowdrops and NO aconitum or iris reticulata. Post garage, p'raps?

Deanne, I recognized the pose on the Mourning Dove immediately. And felt a pang for Larry. My favorite was the wing stretch and then the foot lifted OVER the wing to scratch his head... . What a great shot, and aren't the colors on that "common" bird a symphony in understated elegance?

LOL, about "popping" the ferns into black pots! The rhizomes are huge, NO way would they fit in one of those babies. I tried digging one several years ago and was unable to drive the pointed shovel through the rhizome... nor was the pruning saw any more effective. They'll have to be heeled in somewhere and wait out the chaos. As for the Baptisia, yeah it HAS to be relocated, the proposed driveway will go directly over the present bed. I'm thinkin' the tractor and the small bucket is going to be the solution for much of this work. There were 2 messages involving quotes on the machine when I returned home from work. I'm strangely nervous about what the return calls will reveal.

T., the elk shots are just wonderful. I marvel at them. It made me think that each of us have such a special window on the world and yet so often we tend to look past it all. The Atlantic was dead, flat calm this morning. Just like a bathtub. And when I drove past it on my way home it was grey, white capped, and clearly under the influence of low pressure and wind. All in 9 short hours! I love the little things all of you share. (lots of honking geese here, too).

Time for me to tackle the dishes and think about lighting a fire in the stove. Talk atcha later, friends.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Let's hear it for now deceased Kurt Vonnegut! outspoken "secular humanist", noted author, and survivor of the fire bombing of beautiful Dresden, Germany.

His illustration of of the two particular sphincters we all possess in "Breakfast of Champions" still cracks me up.

May we honor his memory with our daily kindnesses to our fellow man and our thoughtfulness when we exercise our right to vote.

;)

• just_t
    17 years ago

Always unfortunate when someone passes away, but I found Kurt Vonnegut an odd man with odd beliefs......but then we all fit that bill to someone else.

'bug, the vase is very clever and your statue interesting. How neat that you've had the opportunity to meet the artist and have had the experiences that you've had.

Babies are both fussy...so much for Idyll time.

T.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Odd yes. But also ahead of his time. I sat behind his daughter Edie in home room. She was unique as well, and struggled, as things were pretty buttoned down in my home town. She was brought up in a creative and free thinking atmosphere. I know I would appreciate her more now.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

The book that came to mind for me was Breakfast of Champions. Definitely a little wacky and quite racey...just the kind of book a 15-year-old girl's mother would not like her to read and so naturally, I read it cover to cover. :-) I did see the movie Breakfast of Champions when it came out, but I have to say, it didn't appeal to me at all. I haven't read the book since I was a teen - wonder what I would think of it now! :-)

Thanks Eden...but the pic is a fooler...LOL! The begonias are just hanging on for dear life...I don't know how they've even managed to flower. It will be my luck that by the time the weather allows - they'll be dead as a door nail...LOL! Believe me, I'm just tickled pink when something makes it through a winter of my care. :-)

T - I loved looking at your elk, but have to admit I was a little appalled too. I think you deserve a big gold star for your efforts in gardening. By the time you get your gardens finished you will be an expert at "Rambo Gardening". Think of the book you will be able to write!! The deer people will bow down to you. :-)

Your comment struck a cord with me Cynthia. I remember a girl who moved into our little town in about the 4th grade...named Jeannie...ironic too, that Jeannie was originally from Maryland. Anyway, she was creative and mysterious and definitely unique. I remember reading the book Harriet The Spy right about that time and thinking how much Jeannie reminded me of Harriet (I *loved* that book, BTW). Anyway, I always feel a little sad and guilty when I think of Jeannie. I *liked* Jeannie, but I'm afraid I wasn't as good a friend as I could have been. She was ignored by the kids in school back then - not liked - because she was so different...followed her own drummer. While I secretly admired that about her (following her own drummer)and considered her a friend... I also avoided her sometimes too...peer pressure and all...my own insecurity about being on the outside looking in at the popular crowd. I hate admitting that even now, but it's the truth. She moved away the following year and we lost touch. I feel bad that I wasn't as good a friend as I should have been. Jeannie gave me more then just friendship. I really think it was Jeannie who taught me about the true depth of human beings, the value of character, how we can stretch our minds and our spirits, how to see things from another point of view, and how we are *all* a little different and *that* is what makes us special. I hope Jeannie has at least one or two good memories of me. :-)

On another note (advanced apology to anyone who read and liked the book) I've just about finished reading The Secret and while I think there was a lot of truth in it...not too much meat and I'm uncomfortable with the focus on money and possessions. I thought the book would be more about the power of "good thoughts". You know, the thoughts you think and how you send them out into the world. It was in there, but not in the way I had hoped or how I feel. Anyway, that's just my opinion, which doesn't count for much...LOL!

Well, I'm off to get my grocery list together...a long day tomorrow, but Saturday is a day in Geneva with the young "Garden Girls"...that should be fun.

TTYL! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Ooops! I do that a lot! Meant to tell Bug her statue is very cool and what a wonderful treasure to remind you of your adventures.

Oh and Kathy...your Tamora is gorgeous! I've heard a lot of good things about that D.A. rose. I'm a sucker for D.A. I think I'm going to try Tamora when we move....I love that kind of coloring.

Anyway, off to go check out Bug's vase now....
    Good Night All! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Well...just checked out Bug's vase.

LOL Chelone...you're too much! :-) *Now* I get your post!

Okay, I'm done pestering you guys...

Ei

• chelone
    17 years ago

Ei, having spent more than a little time on the "outside lookin' in" when I was a teen I very much appreciate what you wrote about Jeannie. I read A LOT because (aside from my horse) there wasn't much left to me after homework. "Strange" was one of the more polite names I've been called over the years. So, I'm definitely "cool" with being called, "strange", lol. Kurt and Edie will make fine company I'm sure, IF there is an "hereafter". I'll "save a seat" just in case... ;)

I can't even feature being held as a POW in a meatlocker while an entire city was bombed above my head. And then emerging to see the absolute devastation and death all around me. No wonder people read his book and thought he was "weird"... LOL

I haven't read, "The Secret"... likely never will, either. I really like history/biographies; am presently reading "Aristocrats", something recommended by EP in late '05 and recently uncovered as a brief note on a long since past page on a daily calender. I smiled as I submitted the inter-library loan search for it. She was a lovely person and I miss her voice here.

It's snowing here now, but only JUST. I wonder about Deanne as I've heard ghastly reports of snowfall for her area. Will she snoblow or drive through it while "thumbing her nose"?! Or was "thumbing our noses" the fatal mistake...

stay tuned...

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

And so it goes...

Some of the slushy mess is disappearing and it should all be gone by tomorrow. The temps should slowly rise over the weekend. The 50's predicted for next week sound downright tropical.

'bug, I loved the way the babe in front looks so much like a little man.

Computers still are taking up too much of my time at the office, but my boss expressed his heartfelt appreciation for my efforts today and that at least makes me feel better.

I need to fix a dish for a little potluck at work tomorrow, so I'll say goodnight to all!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hello everyone..I just have no time tonite, so a drop in to say hi.
    We chatted about Vonnegut in the office today. Piano Player and Slaughterhouse 5 I remember most.

T, your elk pics are awesome.

Ei , your greenhouse window pics make my greenhouse window look pretty sorry !

Deanne, I get a pair of doves in my garden quite often, I feel as though they are the same 2 that return time after time.

Okay, gotta go..hi's to everyone..
    Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We got home around 10 tonight. Spent a little time with DS and wished him a happy 25th birthday. How in the world can I have a child thats 25? I found some primulas and seeds and also picked up a couple of ornamental items for Kenzies garden. We went to a rental place that rents concrete stamps. DH thinks he would like to try that.

Eden, I also picked up the additional trim I needed for the curtains otherwise we are just waiting on the countertop guy. I dont think I will get the flooring until after I see what the counters look like. I looked at Hobby Lobby today at some of the ironwork they had but didnt see anything that thrilled me.

There must have been some complaints as the road was plowed when we got home. We are supposed to get into the 60s next week. I heard that last year on April 11 it was 81° here.

I know I need more spring bulbs and must remember to order some. I always think I will pick some up locally, but they never have much more than the very ordinary.

My word, T, you have a whole herd there. Isnt that nice of them to "help" you with your pruning.

Deanne, you just get the best shots of those birds. Its like they pose for you.

bug, I enjoyed the enthusiasm that showed in the "new" house pictures. I remember moving into our first purchased home. DS was just a little over a year old. What great times.

bedtime for me

Michelle

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

A little while ago I was sitting here filling out a paper for DH to take to work tomorrow and I heard a ruckus. I looked up and saw my KITTEN (ok, well she's going to be a year old in about a month) trotting across the floor, mouse in mouth! And boy was she proud of her first catch! She wanted desperately to play with it and I did let her for a very short time, but it wasn't dead yet and I didn't want it to get away from her either. I made her give it up and offered lots of praise (as when she fetches her mousie toy for us) and kitty treats to reinforce the good behaviour. Cinders, who has been my resident mouser for years, saw what she had and then he had to go "on the hunt" for one of his own. She romped through the house gleefully for a bit and has now set up camp at the scene of the catch, hoping for a reprise. Cinders has lost interest in the hunt and returned to the sofa to resume his evening nap.

I'm off to take a hot shower for my aching shoulders and neck, hopefully that will loosen them up a bit before bedtime.

Hi to everyone!

suzy

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

Well the good news is that we were south of the snow line yesterday so we only got about an inch of snow. Thanks for thinking of me Chelone. Have you heard the forecast for next week??? You are going to have to batten down the hatches. They are predicting a beast of a Noreaster. The weather guys are warning that this might be one of the strongest storms in the last fifty years, and are predicting some monster seas off the coast. Yikes! This is the kind of storm that re-sculpts the Cape. With the spring tides there is the possibility of some serious costal flooding. I think perhaps we need to re-name our party because Winter has been thumbing its nose at us since we had our celebration.

The gardens are in a state of stasis with the daylilies just beginning to show but they havent grown an inch in the last ten days, same thing with the daffodils. I was looking at some of my photos from last year and all the maple trees were blooming this time last year. They arent even close right now. What a strange, strange winter/spring this year.

Suzy, isnt it so funny how proud the kitties are when they catch a rodent? Mine are the same way. My Rahjii loves those little mousie toys and sometimes we will hear crashing around in the living room at night and it is Rahjii chasing his toy mice around. Too funny.

Michelle, I so know what you mean about "How in the world can I have a child thats 25" only mine is 33. Yikes!~~ RE spring bulbs, I know I planted several hundred new bulbs last fall but I havent seen a single one emerge yet. ~~ So happy you like the Dove pic. Thanks.

Kathy, it probably is a pair that is nesting in your garden so it might be the same pair you see all the time. ~~BTW, Id appreciate more spring photos when you get a chance as the ground here is still white.

V. sorry for the continued computer woes but glad to hear your boss is appreciating your efforts.

T. my goodness, youve got a whole herd in your back yard. Great pics. Id be crazed with that many that close to my gardens.

Chelone, do you ever think of getting another bird?

Bug great carving. ~~ Love the vase, thats fun.

Eden, I so know what you mean about losing gardening days. Last year at this time I was in the process of mulching all the gardens and was probably halfway done. I cant even think about that yet as the composted manure is probably still frozen and likely to remain that way for a while yet. Grrrrrr. ~~ Glad you like the dove and want to save it. Thanks!

Eileen, That fuchsia is definitely Beacon. Those coleus cuttings look really happy! Thanks for the feedback on the dove pic! Im actually thinking of putting together a book on a year in the garden including my garden birds as well as flower and garden photographs.

OK got to get ready for the day, have a good one everybody!
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mornin' all!

Yesterday turned out to be quite warm here...around 45F. That means I was able to clip back some grasses and asters for a while. I was hoping to get more done today, but it is colder again and there's a small white covering on everything. GO AWAY! I'd really like to finish the grasses, tidy the hellebores and then prune clematis. That will take a while too and I fear the bugs will suddenly appear and make the job so much harder. I often need a bug jacket here...and I really hate wearing those.

Deanne, I hope you do go ahead with your book project. When I lived in Toronto I had plans to make a calendar of our local park throughout the year. Of course we moved and I only managed the winter months...

Michelle, glad the plows came through. I was concerned for your trip to town! Yes, my babies are 30 and 35. I must say though, there is still never a dull moment!

V, I guess you are wishing you knew nothing at all about computers by now. I hope this passes soon. There seems to be nothing but trouble on the forums I participate in since I returned from DD's. One forum claims that sophisticated European viruses are the source of it all. I think such problems will never go away entirely. The challenge is always there for somebody. So are you the local expert on municipal wastewater treatment plants now? Running for mayor yet?

Time to feed the critters.
    'bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

Happy Friday everyone! My surgery is Monday for those of you who were wondering. Other than that things are crazy. At least the recent run of cold weather has kept the garden at somewhat of a standstill. Hopefully I'll get out this weekend and move a few last things. If not, oh well!

Later,

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I leave home and have to plow down our drive Deanne-style. When I get to work theres not a lick of snow. Im sure ours will go fast with the warm temps that are predicted.

Deanne, I see several bulb packets in the basket on my desk and I dont recall where I planted them last fall and dont see any sign of them. I read recently that even early bulbs come up late the first year after being planted. I wonder if thats true? Right now anything that was up is limp. The book idea sounds fabulous, Id buy one :o) I know everyone enjoyed your driveway garden progression pictures.

T, I was wondering if elk can jump the way deer can.

Sue, I hope you get a good weekend so you can accomplish some garden chores. Bummer that the surgery falls in the same gardening season as the Garden Conservatory deal.

Hard to believe after being gone for the day that I have only one voicemail and a couple of emails. Maybe it will be an easy Friday. Have a great one!

Michelle

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

I have the twins again today so the length of this post is dependant on how long they'll stay interested in their toys. Such is my life (and I love it!) ;o).

The elk have come into the lower backyard. We didn't see them in there, but found their 'calling card' (droppings). The fencing along the top of the wall is to hopefully keep the coyotes from jumping down into the backyard and snatching one of our dogs (Miniature Schnauzers). It isn't fool proof that they wouldn't get into the backyard (there is only a 4' fence along the sides of the yard) but we usually don't allow the dogs to be outside without one of us being nearby to try and assure their safety. We've noticed the dogs eyed by coyotes, owls and an eagle...so we try to never allow only one dog out at a time and never be far from the door when they are outside by themselves.

Michelle, yes, elk are great jumpers. They don't 'hop/lope' when they run, like the deer do, I think they run more like a horse and deer seem to glide along and at times they hop. The elk don't have any problem scaling 4.5 to 6' fences.......oh, shouldn't say 'don't have any problem' because there are plenty of damaged fences and bent fence posts around here to show that they aren't all graceful and athelic. ;o) The young ones are brutal to the fences because they attempt to go where the full grown elk go, which results in a lot of fence damage. We've decided to just begin replacing fencing (as it is needed) with shorter fencing. The taller doesn't really do a good job of stopping them if they are determined to travel in that area (through the fence?). Around the area where I had my fruit trees, we put up a tall fence, over 6' and the elk bent the fence going into the area and bent it coming out on the other side (it was about 100' square). We just had to laugh....fence posts and fencing bent into the area on the south side and fence posts and fencing bent outward on the north side. Guess they were just showing me that nothing is sacred and nothing will keep them from going where they want to go. I didn't see them yesterday and they haven't made an appearance so far today either (that I've noticed). I do not live in an area that is sparsely populated, so these guys are pretty comfortable around houses. I've begun walking outside and talking, just to get them so they aren't as spooked around me..but that really isn't in their best interests (to get use to people) come hunting season.

Well, I'd better quit with the typing and get the boys a meal.

Hope the weather improves for everyone.

T.

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Babs!
    This is one of our own local Botanical Garden pics:) Thought you might like it. Hope you had a lovely BD!

{{gwi:155884}}

Happy Birthday Kathy!!! This is a pic from the New England Idyllunion, and since you hadn't joined us yet, and possibly hadn't seen any of these, that you might like it. Hope you had a great BD!

{{gwi:155886}}

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone! I just have to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! for all of the absolutely gorgeous BD cards. You guys are the bomb! I especially appreciated the fact that you all kindly sent me cards when I am the worst at keeping up with birthdays and pics... It meant a lot to me, and the burst of color was very welcome with all of the white stuff we have been getting. 17.1 inches last weekend...whew!

Ei, your fishy pics with the captions made me smile. I am happy to see that your bipolar by golly made it through the winter.. somewhere around Jan I gave up the ghost and pitched mine. I had not done a great job with them, and got tired of looking at their poor little neglected stems..... Must have been in a decluttering frenzy or something. I always think I can do more than I really can....or I am not organized or something... wait, let's blame on the no good window thing:) I have already planned my trip to the place I bought them, Baker's acres for replacements.

Eden, I love your new bedroom. It looks so clean and crisp. Just like a magazine... loved the pics of Bella

and speaking of pics, Michelle Kenzie was adorable at Easter. So sweet.

Must mention T-'s elk pics. wow, how cool is that? I would love to sit out there and watch them. I see a flower in the foreground.. what kind is it?

Deanne, your birdie pics continue to amaze! I think you should definitely publish a book, your pictures are better than half the ones I see in books. I can't tell you how often I look at garden books and think, no sense spending the $$$, I have better advice and pics on the idylls....

bug, so glad you got to go out and help your DD set up her home. Nice time to be there to visit with them, when they need you the most. If you guys hadn't been there, she would probably have tried to do too much herself.

Sue, thoughts going out to you for Monday. I hope that things are smoothing out for you, and that you are able to relax and enjoy this time to re energize and gather strength so when you are all better you can get back out there as your usual human dynamo self:)

Kathy seeing your yard gave me hopes of things to come..

Cindy.. hope your dad is doing better.. not fun doing all that, but I'm sure you're hanging in there...

Chelone... hope you are feeling more the thing.. it seems like you said something about not being able to sleep? Maybe I dreamed that, anyway, hope you are feeling better, too..

I think we all just need some sun, some heat, and some holes to fill, dirt to dig in, and weeds to pull:) I bought $40 worth of seeds.. then bought primroses, rock cress, and a hellebore at the grocery store and PLANTED them.. I have no idea if they can take the cold.. they probably weren't even hardened off, I just went out there and stuck them in the ground.. The Hellebore is hanging in there.. Skip bought me a lily when he was in North Carolina.. I stuck that in the ground too. It didn't fare as well, but I think it will come back up next year... I think the only reason I didn't put the heather (no idea why he picked that) he brought me was that I read I need to put peat moss in the dirt and didn't have any.. Obviously I am having planting issues:)

Cynthia, I keep meaning to say I am so glad you are posting again.. love the last pic of your patio. Did your figwort that we got at the same time at Variagated nursery come back last year? Mine disappeared. I think it didn't have enough water, maybe. My soil is kind of sandy, and doesn't hold water well in certain places. My petisites did though.. you know I can grow that one.....(that was a little joke, in case you wondered) I do like it though...

V- glad you got the computer up and running and more importantly that someone else appreciated it...

Babs, are you planning to go to the Botanical Gardens big thing over Memorial Day weekend? I am going to try to go to Kingwood Gardens on May 5 for their bulb fest.. Petitties opened by me.. went last weekend for my BD present..and our anniversary.. 31 years.. can you believe it??? everything was pretty much frozen, but Skip wanted me to pick a present and not wait, so I got a windchime and a candle holder. I t hink I needed to be born two months later...

Hi to Norma, Mary, Taryn, Monique, Suzy..... oh who am I forgetting.. hi if I missed you.. running out of time...
    Oh I did want to tell you..... Skip said I can replace his "bamboo" (read Japanese Knotweed) around the pond with something else this year.. I just hope I can pull out all of the seedlings before it is too late. Only my DH would transplant that lovely vegetation:)

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

D.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Afternoon Idylls!

Deanne I think that is a *wonderful* & clever idea and I love the idea of "A Year In My Garden". I know it will be beautiful...put me on the list. I definitely want buy your book (Im serious)! :-)

T Im afraid I made a goof last night. After I got done posting I thought to myself...I hope my comments didnt come off making "light" of your situation, but of course, I had already hit "send". If it did, I apologize....I definitely didnt mean it to be that way. I just wanted to let you know that I sympathize with your gardening challenges...admire you for making the effort and feel bad for you that you *have* such a big challenge. In my own clumsy way, I was trying to boost you up...Im afraid it didnt come off that way and you being the sweetheart you are, wouldnt let on if I did hurt your feelings. But if I did, you know Im sorry; right?

Okay, heres the thing. I know Im overly sensitive and this subject has been talked about before, so I dont want to rehash it. I *know* it is my own overly sensitive personality (not anything any of you are responsible for). But, I feel so uncomfortable when I talk to someone here and dont get a comment back. Its *silly*...I know that! Ive done it more times *myself* than I can count. The logical part of my brain tells me that its nothing personal. I remind myself of how many times I have meant to comment on something someone said and then after sending my post, realized I didnt and didnt want to go back and post again, hogging the air waves. Im sure its exactly the same for anyone/everyone else. My brain knows it, but this little voice in the back of my head keeps saying...maybe you said something wrong, or maybe that person doesnt like you, or maybe what you said was dull, or maybe people just skip over you. Again, I say, I know its silly and all *my* problem and all my own oversensitivity. Nothing to be done about it, nor would I want anyone purposely writing comments to me, just to reassure me...that would make me feel worse. I like *all* of you very much, but I think I might be the wrong person for public forums...I read too much into everything. I dont know...I think I have to take some time to think about it. Cause as much as I enjoy reading all about all of you and whats going on in your lives, I dont want to post here and be overly-sensitive and reading into everything either.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I hope I havent hurt anyones feelings by telling you how I feel? Sigh...see what I mean?

Ei

P.S. Drema....I not letting you give up *that* easily! I will send you some Bipolar ByGollys in *spring* (whenever that is) with your Swirling Water Daylilies! BTW, it's great to hear from you. :-)

Ei

• just_t
    17 years ago

Ei, nope didn't hurt my feelings one bit and I took it exactly the way you meant it. It is a challenge to have any plants that might be perceived by the elk & deer as 'candy'. They've walked through my new front bed a number of times and I do not know how well any plants will fare. So far they've pretty much left alone most of the plants that are currently there.....but it does present a problem for any future plant placement. We've considered putting up a tall fence and making an enclosed front yard, that hopefully would deter them from coming in and eating (or stepping on) things.....but that really isn't what we want to look at ourselves. Their frequent presence is part of the reason why I'm in no hurry to begin planting....they've taken a bit of the enjoyment out of the idea of having that big curvy bed. ;o)

I don't reply to a lot because I'm usually reading too fast and too many posts at a time so I forget who said what.....then I feel badly that I might have hurt someone's feelings by not responding. But, no harm meant and no harm done when someone doesn't reply to me.

Babies are fussing......time to make a couple bottles.

T.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Seems to me that misunderstandings occur in real face to face situations as well as on line. We're big girls and boys and can deal with it by and large I think. We know that no one means to deliberately hurt in this group of friends.

Just received fabric from Quebec for curtains for DD's baby room. I was so silly and only bought 2 yards, so I just ordered 2 more yards to save myself from too much fiddling. Chelone should be pleased with that. I'll no doubt still need her advice, even though they are only very plain and simple. A seamstress I am NOT.

Yesterday DD tells me that baby, now known as 'Sunshine', finally moved to a new position so that a strong heartbeat could be heard. They can't wait for DGS to return and hear his Brother or Sister's heartbeat.

Remember last July? Think warm. This is Perle d'Azur climbing through the lilacs. Four more clematis are on their way to the farm I am told. YEAH!
    {{gwi:155888}}
    Later folks-
    bug

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Hi everyone, I just got home and had a message on my answering machine from Honey. Seems she opened an email with a worm that wiped out her computer. She wanted me to warn those of you who are in her address book not to open any emails from her or that say something to the effect of 'alert from postmaster'. I called her back and her dh said she was on her way to take the computer in for repairs.

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Happy Fri the 13th !
    Im settled in to watch a ball game while simultaneously writing a lengthy and Fabulously Entertaining post. Ok, maybe just lengthy. I must say the next two months are shaping up to be very busy for me. Im just about maxed out on commitments. I have to go to Indianapolis in mid-May, will go up to Portland in late May, and have three master gardener seminars that I am participating in one way or the other between now and June. This weekend Copia is having a plant sale which is a great opportunity to get some interesting items-mostly shopping for tomatoes but Im sure other things will catch my eye.

Ei, so interesting how people become pivotal in our lives. Your friend Jeannie was in your life so briefly but I wonder what your life and your view of life-would have been like if you had never met her. I think about a fellow employee I knew back in the late 70s when I worked for a small chain of garden centers in San Diego. This guy was into organic gardening back then it was a very radical practice-on the fringe as it were. The things I learned from him in the one brief year that I knew him have never left me, and I still consider him a major influence on the way I garden.
    Oh, and by the way, loved that doggie-fishie action. Scout just looks like a wonderful fellow.
    I cant imagine that anyone would want to slight you or your posts, Eileen. I know that sometimes I have to be extremely brief because I have to get to work very early and have household or family issues that require my attention and I'm sure others here face the same things.I have observed that all think very highly of you -- I *really* enjoy your posts but dont always have the time to comment as I should !

bug, how I loved that kitties in the bed pic from last week ! So funny how we try not to disturb the sleeping felines in the bed ! I have one who likes to get under the covers around 4am , and when I get up at 5 I remove myself from the bed very gingerly so as not to disturb himwhat a lovely photo of Perle d Azur.

Eden, count me in as thinking the bedroom pic was of Casade Eden! That is one cool headboard. I think your pic of Graham Thomas and Splish Splash is interesting. Graham gets 10 ft plus here. What is your experience with him ?

Suzy- arent those kitties funny when they present their corpus delecti ? Mine havent presented me with a trophy in months. I think since they are "mature" they just cant be bothered anymore.!

HI Drema, I loved the photos you posted of the NE Idyllunion. What is the purple plant ? Really a spectacular photo. And 17 inches of snow. ?? Bummer. We don't go for that stuff around here in April..

Ok ,hi everyone.. and here are some pics all taken this afternoon per Deannes request..

This Iris is a dwarf , stays about a foot tall..

{{gwi:155890}}

Reinne des Violettes and Clematis Ramona

{{gwi:155892}}

Niobe

{{gwi:155893}}

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idyll!

Well, I sure shut things up...LOL! Sorry! Don't mind me. My problem is sometimes I say whatever is on my mind...LOL!

What beautious pics to gaze upon this a.m. Love the colors! That dwarf iris is just gorgeous...looks like a fine german porcelain...yumm! Anyway, I know what you mean, Kathy. I think people are sent into our lives for a reason. Yes, I wouldn't change a thing in my life (the good or the bad) as they are what make me who I am. Although sometimes I can't help wishing I could have learned things *faster*...LOL! You know the old saying...to have the wisdom of age and the lifetime of youth! :-) No, you *shouldn't* have to comment on everything everybody says...that was sort of my point about this being my problem and why *I* may not be suited for public forums. It would be *impossible* to comment to everyone, every time (this was talked about before on the Idylls). It isn't a slight...just that we are human and we have other things going on in our lives (which is a *good* thing)! :-) It's *my* problem, not the Idylls. This is a place to share, have fun and enjoy...everyone is very kind here...I don't doubt that. :-)

Well, at least all our snow is melted. It's suppose to rain today, but the "Garden Girls" outting is still on. We will have fun, rain or shine.

So I better get moving...we're to meet at 08:30!

TTYL...Have a good day all!

Ei

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A short comment for Ei. Your comment about the "good or the bad" reminded me (again!) of DD' wedding, where the person who conducted the ceremony said:
    "Your joining today is not an accident. All roads lead to where you stand. Everything you have done up to this moment in time has made this day possible. Everything."
    That was so true and comforting for the couple with their complicated pasts, but I believe it is true for us all.

And so today I must get running as the dump and post office close by noon and I am not yet presentable. Good thing no one can see my attire. ;-)

bug

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Good morning!

'bug, that's one thing I love about the Idylls, it is an ongoing party and you can stop by even if you are not presentable! If you guys could see me now... well never mind - no rush to get ready and out the door today, so I am enjoying it.

Well, we hired a landscaper to re-do our path. It runs from the driveway to the deck, and it is really the main entrance to the house. The front door is used mainly by the mail carrier and the in-laws! We had made several attempts to lay flagstones in the area, but it slopes downhill slightly, and there are some tree roots and large rocks that need to be dug out. Every spring the stones would slide on the mud - it was a total mess. They are going to lay a 4' wide path of tumbled cement pavers; and DH even had the idea to throw in a stacked field stone wall up against the house, next to the path. I'll have to get out there and take some before pics today - hopefully they'll be starting soon after the coming monsoons end.

Kathy, you are months ahead of us in the garden! Keep the pics coming, they are giving me hope. Deanne has summarized our northeast weather for you - really lousy lately! We just need a few warm, sunny days to get everything growing.

Drema, that pic from the NE Idyllunion is gorgeous. Where was that taken; Tower Hill maybe? I really have to get there one of these days.

V, sorry to hear about your ongoing technology frustrations at the office. Good to know that your hard work is being acknowledged.

Deanne, a book about your garden is an awesome idea. Your pics are so beautiful, they would make a wonderful book.

Hi Ei! I love that pic of your sunny window. Is that a begonia on the bottom left? It looks extremely happy. Mine died back almost completely, then I covered it with a plastic dome and it is re-sprouting. I guess they need the humidity. Where are the garden girls off to today?

Sue, sending positive thoughts to you for Monday. I' sure everything will be fine. Hope you get a chance to get out to the garden today.

You guys have me curious about Kurt Vonnegut, I have never read any of his books or seen the movies based on them. I'll have to look when I go to the library.

Chelone, after dealing with getting estimates from just a few landscapers, I can sympathize with you on your garage project. What you are doing is on a much larger scale of course, but the aggravations are similar. I agree with what others have said, make a temporary bed for the plants you want to move. The ferns will be fine. The baptisia has a long taproot, you'll probably have to dig deep.

Well, DD is sitting behind me waiting for her pancake breakfast so I have to run.

Enjoy the day!

-Wendy

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Monty is very very very very sick and we're not sure what it is. Rather than interupt with gruesome details, I've attached a link to Greytalk. Updates are at posts 1,21 and 52. You can read as guests if interested. I'm trying to decide if I can take Dannie to obedience class this morning with a postive attitude. I don't want to mess up her socialization period with my own bad vibes :-)

• just_t
    17 years ago

Cynthia, just read about Monty. I'm so sorry he and you are going through this. You'll both be in my thoughts.

T.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I finally took some coleus, geranium and begonia cuttings. I had picked up a couple of large pots at Sams Club the other day to make containers for my moms front porch. She needs something substantial there. So I will fill them and give them to her for Mothers Day. Why buy plants when I have all this stuff under lights? I hope to get some wintersowing done today or I should say spring sowing.

We are going to a fund raising auction for the school today, but then the snow isnt all melted yet so I wouldnt get anything else done anyway.

Kathy, love the color of your dwarf iris. I have several different kinds and they are so nice as edging.

Wendy, Ill join you in the unpresentable. LOL Your project sounds like it will be an nice improvement.

Cynthia, poor Monty! Good vibes going out for him and you both.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thinking of Monty. With both pets and kids, waiting is horrible. Best wishes Cynthia.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Just stopped by to wish Cynthia and Monty the best...hope things turn out ok for you Cynthia !

Kathy in Napa

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

I'm in a bit of a mood. Today seems to be dragging and I'm sick of being stuck in the house. I want sunshine and warmth! And plants and flowers! I just can't seem to get motivated or concentrate on doing any 'inside' stuff. Oh well, I suppose I should go and fix something for dinner....and maybe have a glass of wine (or whine, lol). It sure hasn't been a very fun or productive Saturday here at my house.

Thinking of you Cynthia and hoping Monty's doing better.

Eden

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Cynthia...I'm so sorry to hear about poor Monty! I hope the medicines keep working well for him and that the other doctor will be able to help. I know you must be just so worried and upset...anyone would. I've never heard of that kind of bleeding and it must just be so scary for you. I was glad to read that Monty is showing some good signs...I'll be keeping my good thoughts for the both of you.

P.S. I love what the person who performed the wedding ceremony said Bug. That is exactly how I see it and what I *would* have said...if I were so eloquent! :-)

Hi Wendy! Just got home from Geneva with the girls, but I'll have to tell you guys all about it some other time...I am *pooped* and going to take a little nap.

Just wanted to pop in and tell Cynthia I'll be thinking of her & Monty.

Ei

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Oh Cynthia, I'm so sorry Monty is in such a state. I truly hope they can help him. My heart goes out to you.

Eden, my day was similar to yours. I am so in limbo with the garden, because of so many things freezing back. It is supposed to start warming up tomorrow but I'm not sure if I should start cutting things back or not. I think most of the shrubs will need trimming too.

And Michelle , I can't even get enthused to take more cuttings or start seeds. My plants under lights are getting minimal care. I have been reading garden books trying to get ramped up, but its not working yet. Whine, whine whine.

I did go out yesterday in coveralls to weed one bed. It was wet and cold but I stuck it out till it was done.
    We had rain all last night and today with snow flurries thrown in. I expect bad weather this time of year. The thing was the excessive warmth we had earlier that made things grow to quick. Then the extreme cold.

Kathy , nice to see your glimpses of spring and warmth.

Wendy, Nice that you are going to get that walkway taken care of, and a nice planting bed to boot. That is what the stacked stone wall is for isn't it?

Just T, thats an awesome Elk herd. I do hope you will be able to have a few flowers in your lovely curvy beds. You certainly sound busy helping to take care of the twin J's. They do both have J names don't they? Didn't you guys start on a new shelter for the animals? If so , how is it coming along.

Woody if your reading along, I'm thinking about your shed and your visit with the puppy. I forgot what breed GB said it was.

Speaking of sheds, Chelone, I hope the meetings with the contractors are going well.

Hoping Babs is having a relaxing getaway.

Sue, you better party hardy tonite because I imagine you will be fasting tomorrow night. Good luck with all that.

Yikes Honey. Sorry you got that worm. I hope no one else was affected.

GB any thoughts on my freeze damaged Clems? Should I just cut them back or wait and see? I know I will at least be picking a lot of dead leaves off. My Niobe was in heavy bud.

Deanne, I imagine you are getting a little stir crazy too, waiting to get into the garden. Your dove picture was great. I usually have three doves in my yard and there is usually a squabble going on between two of them.

Well Drema sounds like you are getting primed for garden season. I haven't been shopping much lately so I didn't even see any primroses. I watched a cute movie called Greenfingers last night. It was about some prisoners who got into gardening. It had a lady gardner in the movie who named her daughter Primrose. LOL

Hey Ei, Bet you had fun with the Young garden gals. Have you put your house on the market yet?

Cindy, Hope you don't have to keep the roses and clems in the house to long. I know Chloe will want them out of her way soon. Sounds like you should have some pretty pics for us down the line when they are happily blooming in your yard.

Suzy, I could use your kitty in my garage for awhile. LOL

Hey to anyone I missed and have a good whats left of it weekend. If I had any wine in the house I would have some. But no such luck. Norma

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Good morning! Well sorta, kinda...it's raining here and we're expecting a spring nor'easter with 2-4" inches of rain and heavy winds. So much for my last potential garden day for at least a couple of weeks. Oh well, best I get the house cleaned anyway since that's yet another activity that will be off limits. Norma, you're right, no alcohol for 24 hours before surgery and the surgery is scheduled for 2:15 tomorrow afternoon. A nurse called from the hospital on Friday to go over a bunch of things. She also said no makeup and I told her she was killing me-no booze, no makeup, no food...good grief! At least I had somebody laughing.

Cynthia, I saw your Monty update from late last night and wanted to say how relieved I am that he appears to be doing better. What a worry when the furkids are sick. Hope he's home with you soon.

Other than that nothing much is going on around here. I keep waiting for more perennials to show their faces so I can move stuff but everything appears to be at somewhat of a standstill due to the weather. Yesterday I shuffled a few things but had limited time and ended up getting overwhelmed with the amount of work I wanted to do. I guess the worst thing that can happen is a plant stays where it is for another year, right?

Later,

Sue

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue, I was hoping you'd pop in today with an update. You always have such a healthy approach to the junk that gets thrown your way. You're amazing! All the best to you tomorrow- and the days following. My friend who had a hysterectomy last Tuesday said no lifting for 6 weeks. She's a gardener by profession, so this digs into her income in a big way. It will be frustrating big time, but was a really good solution to a lifetime of problems. So maybe your surgery will mean lots of posting from you?

Norma, as for clematis, my philosophy is always to wait and see. Those guys are mighty tough. After all, many of them do just fine in zones 2-3! It may just mean later blooms for you this year. It is hard for me to imagine Niobe in heavy bud already when my vines are not even up out of the ground! By the way, forgive me, but I've forgotten where you live geographically. I know you are zone 5, but that means many things...since I'm considered zone 5 by some too. At least today looks very much like spring so far!

Mary, I'm missing you! I guess you are off being super Mom somewhere!

Think I'll go read up on Monty's progress, then try to clip back a few more things outdoors before DH's return from Europe this afternoon. The party's over ;-). Soon there'll be laundry!
    'bug

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning...

Drema, I just realized I never answered your question about the flower/shrub in the foreground of one of the pictures....it is a rhodie. :o)

Norma, yes, we did start a new shelter for the animals and it is a lot nicer for them (and for us). Yesterday we tore down and burnt the old building. What a joy to see that ugly eyesore gone! There is a story to that old building though and maybe later today or soon, I'll scan some old photos and share it.

Well, running late this morning so better get out of this chair and moving.

So thankful that Monty seems to be improving!!

Hello to all!
    T.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I have only skimmed quickly, but have a few observations.

FIRST, I want to tell Sue that I'm sure things will go smoothly tomorrow. I, too, applaud the straight ahead, practical way you approach whatever gets tossed in your path. Hang tough! (the rain has just started here, but no evidence of wind or heavy seas yet).

SECOND, I have to go back and read about Monty. Cynthia, you must be worried sick about him. I hope it all works itself out.

Friday was a long day for me. Capped off by a telephone call from Mum. Wanting to know how she was going to "get home".

Saturday involved a visit to Mum; her new "home" is every bit as depressing as the others. Her lunch was dreadful... no fresh fruit, no glass of water. The RN had to change the urostomy appliance 4 TIMES IN ONE DAY and my brother finally gave her some "tips". She was astounded to learn that when he and I apply them they last 5-7 DAYS. I saw no evidence they're using the night collection jug, nor was I able to locate her cane (I told them to find it and return it to me)... they now insist she use one of those walkers with wheels on the front legs. She doesn't need it, they're freaked out she "might fall" (which I understand). She is in a locked unit. Her most recent haircut is atrocious (too long and she hates it), but her nails look very nice. I want to vomit. She called last night asking when I was going to come and take her "home".

Our taxes are a MESS. The payroll service that took care of payroll at the shop improperly calculated the amount of employer contribution to my retirement fund for 4+ years. The net result is that I've foregone interest gains (and compouding) for those years, and they took taxes out of my bonuses that I always direct to my retirement fund. ALL my contributions are supposed to be PRE-tax dollars; so, I've paid taxes when I didn't need to, and my taxable gross hasn't been reduced as much as it could have been. Now, the payroll company has been sold and the new owners have managed to screw up the W2s. We have to file an extension... (adds to the price of our tax preparation). I am so angry and so frustrated right now I can't even think logically about how to address this gross ineptitude without an obscenity laced tirade. I spoke with our accountant at 8:30 this morning, and asked him to please deal with the payroll firm because I just couldn't face it today. He is the nicest man, we've used him as long as we've been married and he heard my voice crack. All I have to do is drop a check to the IRS at his office tomorrow and he'll take it from there. (His father is in a nursing home, too).

I haven't been able to focus on contractors, at all. John is very high on one guy, but I'm frankly not interested in paying for a "general contractor"; I told him that up front but he wasn't in "listen" mode, I guess. I've been bothered by the patronizing attitude of a couple of guys... the presence of "chesticles" makes me unworthy of a handshake, eye contact, and intelligent conversation about techniques and pricing?! I have a good sense of humor, and am an excellent judge of character... woe betide those who deign to "ignore", let alone patronize me. I'm not just interested in colors, exterior light fixtures, and trimwork... .

I am in a thoroughly black, depressed mood. I hope none of the would-be contractors call today. I need some buttered popcorn and a video. And I truly hope all the rest of you are having a better go of it right now!

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

...but Chelone,if I snuck up behind you and carefully placed a straw within my armpit and gave a nice puff...would you lol just a little bit? I bet that would at least make you grin: ) OK it would be short lived but appreciated.lol
    That's the thing. Life sends us stuff. Some of it is good, fun,happy stuff and then the yucky stuff slips in too-it's inevitable. I think you are going to handle the tax stuff OK-that accountant is a godsend. Your mom's situation just stinks-no one deserves that kind of treatment-or lack of.BUT because I know you-(well,you know)...you will say what you think about her care and that squeaky wheel certainly will get it's oil. She's new there-they just need your input and I think you'll get results. Your brother seems really on board so at least you are a team? Does he have the same worries that you do? No facility is better than what a daughter or son would realistically want for a parent but I hope you do see an attempt from them to do better for her. I think you are exhausted from all of it-look at how long this has been going on for you. That's why you are having sleep probs,you don't want to go to work,the construction stuff is bugging you....each of these things alone are things you are capable of handling(we're talking about CHELONE here; )it's just all of them clumped together and the emotion added to it are muddling things. Take one thing at a time-you'll be OK. It's not easy but I think you will get through this too.
    Hmmm we're home one day from our paradise weektrip and MIL was complaining on the phone, she wanted life to be over due to some stiff pain she's having...just what Chris wanted to hear... I keep thinking how things could be much worse than they are-it gives me perspective to deal with it.

Sue I just wanted to tell you that while I'm sure you'll have some initital discomfort, all that walking/exercise you get will probably cut your recovery down considerably-just be obedient and take things slow at the beginning. I hope you are calm(especially with no wine or food!)and things go well for you tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you...say,does this mean you'll be slowed down enough to idyll more? : )

Drema-beautiful card! Thank you! I didn't know about the program at the CBG but I'll have to look into it. I hope your newly planted items survive-would a heavy mulch at the base help? I think everything that has sprouted now will be a little deformed but get some normal regrowth when temps stablize...(crossing fingers)

Hocking Hills was fabulous if you don't mind hail storms,rain and cold : ) STRANGE weather all over the place. Hocking Hills had a couple warm weeks in the 70's before Easter but by the time we arrived they had been having freeze warnings and many plants/trees were zapped. The first night in our place we had a wind/hailstorm that brough an inch of hail!That was loud! I guess there was talk of a possible tornado but I didn't hear if it was true. Well, at least our cottage was built into a hillside so we were very safe. We had one day(Fri.) with warm breezes and full sun...and I got a sunburn from hanging out in the hot tub-odd but true. The ride back was treacherous with a slush rain snow thing happening-it was part of the storm that is going to blast the east coast-hang on you guys. Back here in Cleveland we were supposed to get snow-but they were wrong so it's dry now and the sun just came out-I hope the nor'easter is much less harsh than they predict.

I don't mean to be short(I say that alot lately) but I need to finish the laundry and get things ready for the school week. If I have time I'll be back.

Cynthia-Monty's illness sounds scary! I hope things are improving for Monty. I hope you are doing OK too.

~Babs

• wendy2
    17 years ago

((((Chelone)))), sorry all these negative things are happening all at once. I can loan you my DS, for free - he comes equipped with the bendy straw that he has been following me around the house with all afternoon (he has developed quite a juicy tenor tone)and your choice of movies: his current faves are "Cars", "Over the Hedge" and "Flushed Away", all silly animated flicks - I'm assuming "Flushed Away" has plenty of bathroom humor. He makes excellent microwave popcorn, and can talk your ear off about the latest technology - anything wireless is of particular fascination. I love rainy days!!

Cynthia, I hope today finds Monty much improved and that he'll be back home with you soon. I read your update on the other forum, and it sounds like he is on the road to recovery.

Eden, I have been in a mood for most of April - this weather is awful! Last year I had so much more accomplished by this time, this year it seems as if the garden is stalled - almost the only perennials showing signs of progress are the daylilies and sedum. The pansies I planted 2 weeks ago are still alive, but not blooming - now I wish I'd bought the ones that were in full bloom. I'll share that glass of "whine" with you.

Norma, yes the stone wall is to frame a planting bed 14' long - I'm already thinking about what to plant there. It is pretty shady, so I'm thinking hosta and friends.

Sue, I hope you got heavily made up and had a huge dinner and several bottles of wine last night! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Rain, rain, go away...

Later!

-Wendy

• wendy2
    17 years ago

DS just snuck up behind me and played the guitar riff from "Smoke on the Water" with the bendy straw.

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

just arrived back from a fabulous few days with DS and family in DC - Cindy did you hear me calling "Hi" to you! Many hightlights to share when time allows.

The drive back was nasty indeed heading through torrential rain, snow and slush. Whew - glad we are all back safe and sound. I have mountains of laundry to do and seedlings to tend before locating snow gear for tomorrow - several inches are forecast.

Sue - good luck for your surgery tomorrow.

Hi to everyone else - I'll look forward to catching up on everyone's news and I think there are some fab photo and cards. Perhaps we'll have a snow day tomorrow.....

Mary

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Sue just wanted to send my good wishes for tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you and sending my good thoughts that everyting goes as smooth as silk.

I thought maybe Chelone could use a little silliness right now...

Here are a few pics that struck my phony bone, from an email my SIL sent to me entitled: "Why Dogs Bite People". I have to admit, I'd be tempted to bite somebody too... :-)

{{gwi:155894}}
    {{gwi:155895}}

Can't help it...I *do* find this one absolutely adorable! :-)....

{{gwi:155896}}

And here's just a few other sweet pics that I've saved over the years...I hope they make you smile:

{{gwi:155897}}

{{gwi:155898}}

{{gwi:155899}}
    I hope tomorrow will be a brighter day...

{{gwi:155900}}
    Have a good night all! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

I would have *never* thought it of my sweet little Scout. Although, he *has* always been fascinated by Bert who swims in a vase on my kitchen counter. He often barks at Bert when Bert is particularly active and swimming around in his bowl. DH & I would often laugh at Scout's fascination with Bert; thinking it funny the way Scout would put his front paws up on the counter to get a better look. Sometimes he would even growl at Bert. We *thought* it was funny! Anyway, I *still* cant believe it *happened*! Today Im watching Scout, as he is watching Bert. Suddenly Bert jumps up and *out* of his bowl (Bert I use to do that, but his bowl was much lower, so I thought with this tall vase it wouldnt be an issue). Anyway, I was stunned at first and not thinking fast enough. Suddenly, Scout runs to where Bert lands and before I can even yell "drop it"...Bert was Scouts sushi dinner! :-( I dont even think Scout chewed!!!! Im still stunned...I keep asking myself..."did that *really* happen?!?!" Then I have a reality check by looking at the bowl. Im having a hard time looking Scout in the eye...LOL! Im so *sad* to have lost Bert...he was getting very friendly. I do have to admit though, in retrospect, it is kind of funny and very bizzare..."Im sorry Bert!" Think Ill leave the empty bowl on the counter for awhile...let it be a shameful reminder to Scout!

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

They made me smile Ei. Thanks

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Geesh Ei, I can't believe that happened either. Scout, Scout, Scout! Of Course it was Berts fault to, for doing a swan dive. Silly Fish.

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Hey all,

I checked in to see if Deanne had posted; I hope her absence doesn't mean she's out of power. DH said New Hampshire is really getting dumped on.

Eden, your mood is most understandable given the goofy weather we've been having. I heard a discussion on the radio last Friday about how many folks are down over this weather. I decided today that we are having a Cubs fan spring - wait until next year!

Cynthia, I hope Monty is continuing to improve.

Chelone, sorry for the troubles. Nothing worse than having the folks you depend upon to get it right really screwing it up!

Today is my DD's 19th birthday. We went to visit her yesterday and see her perform in two different concerts. The percussion concert was the most interesting to me as I had never seen almost 1 1/2 hours of all percussion - very cool! DS and his fiance came for the second concert. DS has been on cloud nine all week after finding out that his application to transfer to U of I had been accepted. When the concert was over, he stood up, slowly unzipped his hoodie and began to pull it back off his chest - to show off his brand new U of I t-shirt!

We are expecting DH's coworker for an overnight visit, so I need to go and finish making the house look like no one lives here.

Good thoughts for Sue tomorrow!

V.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The weather may be lousy but the Idylls are sure providing entertainment and diversion tonight!

DH is home...and asleep. It is late late late as far as his clock is concerned! Good grief, he brought me Austrian chocolates too. After a whole week of being a good girl, I helped him wolf them down. (blush!)

Here's a funny about DD's family:
    One day as the family was leaving their house, DGS turned to his dad and said "Dad, I hope you and (DD) get divorced." Um OK where was this going "Because then I can marry her!" Laughter all around.

The excitement about organizing and planting has been largely replaced by anxiety and excitement over a new baby and my long distance family. It used to be that I couldn't sleep because I was planning a new flower bed somewhere. Now I dwell on the birth of the baby and those who will adore it. Yet, my plant babies are still important. In fact, I'd better go rescue a few from the porch right now because tonight the temperatures will fall.

Hoping Deanne is safe and warm and hunkered down.
    Time for a new Tidyll, but I am not inspired tonight.
    'bug

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting