Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

A Visit to Zone 10..

dodgerdudette
13 years ago

As promised, a few more photos from Seaside Gardens in Carpenteria.

There was lots of lavender in full bloom, still a month off in my garden. The middle ground pink is Cistus
{{gwi:155965}}From 2011-04-11

They had a fantastic planting of grasses. With the afternoon sea breezes here this area must be really dynamic.
{{gwi:155969}}From 2011-04-11
{{gwi:155973}}From 2011-04-11
{{gwi:155975}}From 2011-04-11

The blue in the foreground is one of our native Ceonothus, which is blooming now all up and down the coast.
{{gwi:155978}}From 2011-04-11

Aloes and Aeoniums
{{gwi:155980}}From 2011-04-11
{{gwi:155981}}From 2011-04-11
{{gwi:155982}}From 2011-04-11
{{gwi:155984}}From 2011-04-11

The garden was so colorful-really well designed to take advantage of what is blooming now-in whatever season.
{{gwi:155985}}From 2011-04-11

Comments (14)

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

You didn't warn us to wear sunglasses! WOW! It POPS!

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I want to see this in person! Just gorgeous Kathy, thank you for sharing.

GB, you're right about the sunglasses - everything's so subtle on the east coast right now.

Saucy

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Wowser -- Kathy, you're so right - it's such an amazingly well designed garden - I love the flow to it and how well placed everything is.... it must be simply breathtaking in person.... another who'd love to live in Zone 10...I'd give up tulips I do believe.

And to see the ceonanthus in "native" -- another shrub I've lusted after but had no success in getting it to live thru my zone (there are a couple that are supposedly hardy into Z7 and a few southern VA nurseries do sell it).

Keep those photos coming!

-cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Fantasyland...!

• yeonasky
    13 years ago

My thoughts, exactly, Woody. Fantasyland. Is this real? It looks as if the grass is not just greener on the other side...

Thanks for the peek.

Yeona

• chelone
    13 years ago

Some of those plantings are downright alien. What a wonderful place! I particularly like the grasses and I bet they're just beautiful in the breeze.

I particularly like Ceonothus, does it have a fragrance?

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is another photo of a Ceanothus from Seaside gardens, common name is 'California Lilac' but I never hear that used anywhere.
    This Calif native plant blooms only in spring and there are both bush forms and groundcover forms. No fragrance Chelone !

Cindy, I think it's not so much hardiness as the issue as it might be the summer rains. This plant lives in the wild with zero rain in summer and does not tolerate wet feet. {{gwi:155986}}From 2011-04-11

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

I wonder if those "ants" are supposed to be lotus eaters, LOL? I'd be happy to live there as a bug!

So cool -- I think because so much of it has such immense structure that everything is so incredibly striking (of course the techno color is not bad either).

Yes, that could be re the ceonothus and dry winters --not likely to happen in my geographic location. I guess they're similar to hebes for that reason (another one I'd adore to grow).

Glad you had such fun with Denise -- what could be more fun, except with more idyllers?

-cindy

• chelone
    13 years ago

Absolutely sumptuous. I just love the cactus gahden. What a magnificent place, wow, wow, wow!

And the ants... fabu-fabu!

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Somehow I missed this thread. Wow, the color is out of this world! Love the use of the lemons. The Ceanothus, the agaves, gosh everything is amazing. Thanks Kathy!

• jak1
    13 years ago

Woweee!

I haven't been feeling well so haven't looked around here much. What a beautiful series of photos to start off my return! Absolutly gorgeous! Well done, Kathy, looks like a dream vacation you had. the lemons blew me away!

Cheers,

Julie

• flowerluvr
    13 years ago

Wonderful photos, Kathy! Everything is so different from what I'm used to seeing,it's almost like another planet. Especially with the giant ants-very cool!

• kmfthea
    9 years ago

Kathy - I live in Santa barbara and was planning on planting Ceonuthus but I have read a few different articles that they attract "swarms" of bees and at certain times during the year you literally cannot walk too close to them. We have dogs and our garden is not so large that we can afford to avoid certain areas of it. Would you please share your experience?

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional