Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Roses -photo heavy !

dodgerdudette
15 years ago

Here are some of my pics from this weekend- all roses of course !

Daybreaker

{{gwi:155998}}

Sombreuil

{{gwi:156001}}

Brass Band

{{gwi:156003}}

Madame Issac Pereire

{{gwi:156005}}

Sun Flare

{{gwi:156006}}

Honey Perfume

{{gwi:156007}}

Kathy in Napa

Comments (19)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

If I lived in Napa country, I'd have to have a rose garden too.....Honey Perfume...Madame Issac Pereire...

I already love the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose photos

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow-a rose photo site I've never been to ! Can this be ??

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

It is the most beautiful one Kathy!
    My German friend sent it to me.

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Better pics than most catalogs, Kathy. Are these interspersed throughout the garden or is there a particular spot where they share space? I'd love to see who they're paired with.

Martie

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

And the big question - do they suffer from black spot or is that not a plague out your way?

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Wow, wow!!!! Stunning photos of stunning roses. Doesn't get better. Thanks Kathy!

That Sombreuil is to die for!
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Wow Kathy they all look so pristine. What a beautiful rose collection you have. I'm using the Bayer All-In-One this year. Mine always get blackspot and look nekkid halfway through summer. That Sombreuil is really something! Thanks for taking the time to show us.

Eden

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Eden, you might want to check this out...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayer

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

wow, Kathy you have some beauties. Thanks for posting these.
    Michelle

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Marie, I know...I don't use chemicals in my garden and I've been going back and forth about using this one. It would be so nice to have beautiful roses for once though, but you're right, I can't do that to my bees and butterflies. Doesn't take much persuasion to convince me on this subject. Thanks :)

Eden

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Eden, I seem to recall something about corn gluten and alfalfa pellets for organic rose gardening....I'll see if a search turns anything up.

I am in love with Brass Band!

Saucy

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Eden, here's one of many pages of information about corn meal and blackspot. Apparently you should not use corn meal gluten!

Saucy

How To Apply
    Dry: Work 2 pounds of cornmeal into the soil for every 100 square feet. Water well, to activate the fungus killing properties. One application per season is usually sufficient, but repeat applications wonÂt hurt anything.

Spray: WhatÂs called Âcornmeal juice can be made by soaking 1 cup of cornmeal in 1 gallon of water overnight. Strain the liquid and use as a spray on susceptible plants.

Cornmeal vs. Horticultural Cornmeal vs. Corn Gluten
    Any type of cornmeal can be used as a fungicide.
    Food grade cornmeal, found in grocery stores, will work just fine, but it is more expensive and comes in smaller quantities than horticultural cornmeal.

Horticultural cornmeal has not been stored under the stricter guidelines required for food grade cornmeal. Hort cornmeal is general used for livestock feed. It too will work just fine as a fungicide and it comes in bulk.

***Corn Gluten should not be used as a fungicide. Corn Gluten is cornmeal that has been processed to have a higher protein content. Iowa State researchers discovered that cornmeal gluten can inhibit seed germination. It is now used as a pre-emergent weed killer. ThatÂs a great tip, but donÂt confuse corn gluten with the fungicidal properties of corn meal.

A final bonus, cornmeal also appears to be a source of nutrients for the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just one of many reads on corn meal and blackspot

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Thanks Saucy. I have never heard of that treatment. I'll give it a try. I know much of my problem is that my roses are too crowded in amongst other plants. They need more room to breathe.

Eden

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Wow o wow, Kathy - I always get in at the last -- these are marvelous.

I too have pondered (even bought but it's stored now) the Bayer product -- I did reading unfortunately after purchase -- I think I also read somewhere that it kills earthworms, which made me stop in my tracks...

It's interesting that Kathy can produce these beauties organically -- I think I already see blackspot on my stuff this year -- these are just divine, Kathy.

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the nice oo's and awws! Theres more where this came from, roses are popping open at a speedy pace !

I do garden organically, and don't spray at all. My roses are mixed in with other plants, and like Eden I have things very closely planted. I have over 60 roses here, some of them suffer from blackspot terribly. This will not be too bad a year because we had no rain to speak of this spring . (yet) . Since we get no summer rains, my BS suffering plants usually defolite, grow new leaves and are BS free for the rest of the season for the most part. I will try to find a link to the neem-oil baking soda BS spray that Univ of Cal recommends as an alternative natural remedy...

And by the way Deanne and Eden, Sombreuil is pretty disease resistant for me and the fragrance is ooo-la-la !

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Kathy, they are so pretty. You sure are going to miss them when you move.

And I have learned a few things from Saucy's and GB's posts. This is what I love about the Idylls.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Sombreuil and Honey Perfume are my favorites. I love that soft, peachy color.

I had Henry Kelseys on the fence many moons ago and they were destroyed by a wickedly cold winter with NO snow cover. So much for zone 4 hardy, poor things.

I have one New Dawn and I simply don't understand her. She is so pretty she attracts some sort of little green worm that skeletonizes the leaves in short order. I pay her scant attention and it shows.

Just call me the reactionary Rosarian. And know how very much I enjoy the fruits of others' labor! Very, very pretty.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy... :-)

I am late to the rose party. Actually just saved looking at it until I could enjoy them when I wasn't distracted or rushing. Enjoyed them thoroughly. All are beauties. That Daybreaker...I like the yellows in the middle and the buds are very attractive. Sombreuil has always been on my list of Wants. Gorgeous blossoms. Madame Issac Pereire...another one with nice plump buds. But Honey Perfume is really one of the most romantic roses I have seen in a long time. I really do enjoy the buds almost as much as the blossoms and those are some fantastic looking buds!! Really love your roses. :-)

pm2

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

I'm green! :-) Your roses are *gorgeous* Kathy! California has to be *the* place to grow them...they always look so healthy. big and beautiful there. Do you guys *ever* get disease?! LOL! Anyway, thank you so much for sharing...you'll be growing more roses at your next house; won't you? :-)

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA