Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

#373 SALATing, waiting for inSPRINGation

chelone
15 years ago

OK, it's lame. Get over it. And get on with it. OK?!

Comments (101)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know what a pinch collar is either.

I do know that the "choke" collar (snap & release is my term for it) is ALWAYS put on the animal wrong at the vet's and by the kennel too. Charlotte loved hers...thought it was jewelry and was agitated when it was off.

Our contract for Phoebe is adamant that she be returned to the breeder for ANY reason should we or Sarah not be able to keep her. The breeder is entitled to first choice of a litter should we decide to get permission to breed her. (NO, that won't happen)

Checked out the heronry to see how things are going there. Some of the birds are on nests...but I'm not sure if they are only checking them out or what. It is quite a sight now without any leaves to get in the way of viewing.

Off to artichoke cooking.

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

For Kathy -- to ease the jones .....

{{gwi:156087}}

And Mary, I've put in extras of everything so no matter where you are some of "your" plants will be with you. Guara, Clary Sage, Dianthus, etc., etc., etc. :-) Example: Digitalis (notice the true leaves -- new from last week).

{{gwi:156088}}

Chelone: Now That is a Stove! You may have mentioned it before, but will have have some sort of moisturizing system on top? Do they make urns/pots/heat-proof containers to do justice to this design?

Honey: So glad your DD seems to be on the up side of her situation. Know it's tough without DH, but Springtime in Paris?? Is there negotiation room in the job for an extra weekend ticket?

'bug: I'm jealous of your heron. I'd take standing water larvae to have a few around.

Deanne: Did you find a Rex?

Cynthia: Good thing Katie is spade -- she's gorgeous!! I feel for her not being able to walk as she'd like. If dog back pain is anything like human back pain, give the girl whatever drugs your vet and you think is okay until her wheels arrive. Please give her an extra stroke and treat from me who truly human empathizes:-)

PM2 - The no moving weekend sadness of yesterday morning vanished today. Everything on the list got done, and I'll be feeling it about Tuesday, but hey, that's what hot soaks are for.

The neighborhood kids were a hoot with BGF, "ya gotta watch where you step Mrs. Virginia -- look for anything larger than an ant that's green!!" to the point that they got additional hours at Her yard next weekend. Guess who gets to bring them up there and "stick around and I'll make sure I have gloves for you" while THEY work???? LOL

Mitch's image is mesmorizing, Denise. If you look hard, don't you think that one of the roots on the mid-left looks like a lizard?? Is this tree LA's answer to maples whose roots do the same thing only with completely different bark?

So much chatting here today! It's been fun to bop in and see what's up with everyone. Hello all, and Take it easy on that road, Marian!!

Martie

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Honey, I certainly hope there's some vaca time for you in Paris and/or Portugal out of this whole ordeal, but perhaps the job assignment will be respite enough for you both from chronic worries. Best of luck.

Now I know what mergansers are but am still wondering if the "peepers" you all talk about is generic for noisy spring birds or if you're all on the same page and referring to a specific bird. I read and glean and hope for enlightenment...

Mary, um, thanks for the advice, but no need of it here. No arguments, unpleasantness, strife, ever...signed, Geppetto's puppet child.

What's with the weather forecasters these days? Today didn't cool down, it was hotter than yesterday, setting a new record.

Pickling, pickle barrels, Lord Nelson carried home postmortem in a pickle barrel after his victory at Trafalgar. Home improvement might be slightly less stressful than the Napoleonic wars, however, but no less heroic I say. Again, gosh, it's hot. Marty made great progress on the fence today, with one of the windows installed, hoping to have the door in and most work completed before we leave end of the month, to seal the "breach in the perimeter" on that side. Marty wants to put another of these windows in the top part of the dutch door, then another window on the other side of the door, so three in a row. I initially thought two windows would be enough, but three would draw the eye horizontally, making this narrow space appear larger. (Don't be shy with input.) All will be painted to tie into house. Overhead pergola will have to wait. Can't wait to redo the bricks in front of the gate, enlarging the path quite a bit. Photo includes glimpse of bungalow across the street, standard issue on this street:

{{gwi:156089}}

Looking opposite, toward the fringe tree, a couple days ago:

{{gwi:156090}}

Wondering where 'bug's artichokes are coming from barely into April. And what a great word, "heronry."

Seed nursery will be bursting at the seams soon, Martie. Sounds like the Bowery Boys are alive and well in your neighborhood, lol. And no, that Moreton Bay fig tree is a sight not often seen, but definitely a "Rorschach" tree.

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Denise, They're little tiny froglet creatures which peep until they find their mate in spring. They don't eat until they mate, and when I hear one solitary peeper in August, I wonder how hungry it must be. There are some good sound tracks on You Tube. Some with photos. So no peepers out west? They're in the wetlands here. Some don't like the sound, I do, as it means it's really spring.

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia! Knocking down idyll mysteries one at a time...Mitch and Marty wandered in and both loved hearing the peepers.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Artichokes come from the grocery store...of course! Uhhh, not Italy yet...not California?

I wish my fringe trees would grow from 2' tall to tree or at least shrub size. Unfortunately, the rabbits won't let them.... More caging needed next Fall...on everything! I wish someone would design cheap, strong, easy, handsome caging for all shapes of plant.

Denise, I love the fence. Very handsome. 3 windows sounds good to me, emphasizing width, not alley effect. I think staining it would be easier over time, if you could find a color that blended.

Here's a heronry pic from last year for Denise: (or if you prefer, a 'rookery' shot)
    {{gwi:156092}}

Sorry Woody, sometimes it is simply too much to try to reconstruct a lost posting. Very discouraging.

• honey_mi
    15 years ago

Hi Woody. Come back when you can!

PM2, it truly has been one thing after another. Thanks for your kind words. I want smooth sailing! Glad the pix of the mergansers were helpful. When I first saw them on our pond, I had no idea what they were. Then after I saw them raise their plumes and watched them dance for a half hour, I was mesmerized and had to find out.

Marty, if I go to Paris, itll be for more than a weekend! A friend and colleague and I tacked on vacation time after a conference in Cologne several years ago, but it wasnt enough time to visit with friends and still see and do everything we wanted. I really wanted to see the Impressionists, go up to the top of the Eiffel Tower, as well as see some of the surrounding countryside and we didnt have enough time to do that. We spent an entire day at the Louvre mostly in the Egyptian art and artifacts area and that was a drop in the bucket. It was amazing. I definitely would like to see more of it. Hopefully, DH can get some time off so we can enjoy Paris together. But theres no hope the company would pay for me to fly over.

Thanks, Cynthia. Michigan is truly a difficult state to be in right now highest unemployment rate, the most lost jobs, the most foreclosures, etc. From your thots to Gods ear on the contract jobs being the best to have right now and usually lasting longer than planned. Its really been a challenge for Tom to keep pursuing leads and continual follow-up, stay upbeat and not spiral into depression. Weve seen it bad before, but never this bad.

I understand how you feel right now and its definitely tempered by your situation with Katie and that breed. It has to be absolutely awful to see that poor animal in pain. We have worked with Missy using verbal correction and positive reinforcement but had to step it up. Do you watch "The Dog Whisperer," Caesar Millan, on the Natl Geographic Channel? Hell use this type collar for training when necessary.

Bug, our contract with Missys breeder is the same. If for any reason we cant keep her, the breeder has first right of refusal, and she definitely wants her back. As much trouble as she can be, I wouldnt give my lil wiggle-butt up for anything!

Bug, Chelone, click on the link below for info on prong collars (sometimes called pinch collars). It has pix and info. Missy is a smart, stubborn, head-strong, alpha female. Shes sturdily built and has tremendous stamina so we were having a heck of a time getting her to listen. Altho shes only 48 lbs., its all I can do to hold her back. Shes that strong. We only used the prong collar during training sessions for 2 weeks. After the initial pinch the first time, she was a different dog and stopped pulling immediately. We tried the collar on our bare arms first. It looks worse than it is but it gets their attention. We moved on from that to an electric remote training collar. Again, we tried it on ourselves first before it was ever used on Missy. Wed never deliberately hurt an animal.

Thus Chelone, I agree with you and you said it so well. Its important for the safety of the dog, other animals and their people family, that dogs listen and be well behaved. We wanted a smart dog that would learn quickly. Problem is that we selected a dog that is too smart and can be a manipulator.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Ive checked in more than once today- such goings on ! Honey I felt like I needed a nap after reading your posts ! I thought I had a lot going on in my life right now but you win the day hands down. Wonderful news that your DH is once again gainfully employed and bittersweet the miles apart you will have to endure.
    It was HOT here today-not as hot as Denises area though. I watched a few innings of the Dodger game this afternoon and it was mid-90s on the field. Glad I watered yesterday.
    Zinnias have been duly purchased-Cherry, White and Orange Profusion. Theyll all go in the back, Im holding out for Dreamland series for the front yard, but I only saw them in 4" pots today .

Denise, your project looks very cool. Im down with three windows-it would look more bungalow-ish to me with that horizontal line . Nice view of the fringe tree and environs- I notice the water feature in the distance. Betcha bugs chokes rode an airplane from Watsonville or Salinas. I have two in my fridge right now . I eat them at least once a week in spring. An enduring favorite.

Chelone, that stove is really beautiful. I love the soapstone with the black iron-work . It will look great with the paint color youve got going in the Salon. I envision SALATing the Salon as a daily chore.

Martie-thanks for the pansy ! A girl cant have too many. Im so impressed with all you seed starting folks-but Im having to deal with instant gratification here as the customers come around (what few there are) and seedlings dont cut it. There will be ample seed starting years in my future, in the mean time I will live vicariously through the Idylls.

PM, my memory may seem impressive but I bet I read all those Nancy Drew books about 10 times each .. this reminds me, did anyone else hear the author on Weekend Edition yesterday ..I didnt catch his name and did not yet go onto NPRs website to find out, but he was describing to Scott Simon how he used to type out short stories by various authors (I think he mentioned Cheever, Hemingway, Faulkner among others) to learn about how they constructed the stories, dialog, etc. It was pretty interesting stuff.

Love the apron Mary ..Im a messy cook too, but Im usually in my gardening clothes when in the kitchen so protection seems unimportant .

Wow, bugs heronry shot

BBQ is almost ready must go brush the grill

Kathy in Napa

Reine Des Violettes

{{gwi:156093}}

A blurry garden shot from this morning, with Lady Banks on the upper right

{{gwi:156094}}

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Harmony restored here - we were able to laugh ourselves out of the impass. We also took a trip to Home Depot together to return the storage cabinet I'd purchased but DH though would not help. Instead, he chose... the very same cabinet. I'm putting it together in front of the TV. We're at the stage of having a bigger mess than when I started but the end results will be worth it.

For supper tonight (wearing my new apron) I made vegetable chick pea pancakes. They are similar to an Indian Bhajhi (Woody will know) but are cooked in just the tiniest bit of oil instead of deep frying. They were delicious, quick and easy, Gluten free and something I think we'll be eating often.

Recipe below if anyone would like to try.

The photos today are gorgeous. Thank you for more seedlings Martie.

Denise - the fringe tree and your tile are stunning.

GB - how cool to see the herony. I saw two herons doing their mating dance last year - it was very cool.

Kathy - I've longed to grow both those roses. Your gardens are just lovely.

Honey - we have been able to enjoy some fabulous overseas trips as a result of all DH's travels. I'd still rather have him home but it wonderful to have those trips together after all the time spent apart.

I must go finish my cabinet before it gets too late.

Have a good evening everyone

Mary

Chickpea Flour Pancakes (makes three large pancakes)
    1 cup besan/gram flour (Indian chickpea flour)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 lemon, juiced (about two really good squirts of lemon juice)
    1 cup chopped veggies (I like 1/4 cup frozen peas, 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup tomato)
    a chunk of onion to season your skillet

In a small bowl, mix together the besan, salt, baking soda, and spices.
    Add the water and beat well. The besan tends to clump a bit, so you can sift it if you want, but I just beat the lumps out with a fork.
    Beat in the lemon juice with a fork.
    Stir in the mixed veggies (you can add some chopped cilantro and freshly grated ginger if you have it). Whatever you do, don't taste the batter. Raw chickpea flour tastes terrible!

The easiest way to make these, is to season a cast iron skillet with the cut side of an onion. This is an amazing trick for savory pancakes, and helps the pancakes to pop out of the pan--even if you make these without oil. You could also use a non-stick gizmo for good results. To season, just rub the surface of the pan vigorously with the cut side of an onion, you can also add a touch of oil if you want.
    Ladle 1/2 cup of batter at a time into the hot seasoned skillet (cook over medium low heat) and spread the batter out so it's not too thick.
    Cook until the bottom is brown and there are bubbles surfacing in the center of the pancake. Flip and cook the other side. These take considerably longer to cook than regular pancakes, so you want them on a lower heat to keep them from burning. I'd say they take at least 5 minutes to cook on each side.
    Repeat with the rest of the batter and serve with pickle!

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Good Morning! I guess I'm the earliest bird here today? Which reminds me, yesterday when I was potting up coleus, earthworms came out of the potting soil!!! Of course I guess the robins have been finding them outdoors for quite a while already.

So today will be one for dealing with insurance again and also some post office activity. But I hope there is time for major garden work too. We shall see what happens. The sun is out and last I looked it was 32F. There was ice in the rain barrel. I'll also try for a photo of our rain barrel arrangement for PM2.

Happy Monday! (Hope that's not an oxymoron...)
    'bug

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Mary - thanks for that recipe - I'll have to try them.... Barb and I are off this morning to my samosa-making friend to be her sous-chefs for making a huge amount of food for an event for her brother.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

A quick good morning to all. We have a beautiful sunny day here and I want to get outside and work on finishing up the garden cleanup. Looks like spring is finally arriving.

Denise I absolutely LOVE your fence, with windows and that tiled courtyard with the Fringe tree is Fabu-Fabu!!!! Gorgeous.

Kathy, Your spring garden is just breathtaking. How fun to see so much lush growth when we are only getting started here. Thanks for posting that.

Honey, fantastic to hear from you and I'm so glad to hear Tom got a job but what a bother for him to be so far away. Glad to hear things are moving along in a positive direction for your DD.

Mary, great to hear from you also. I love that apron! ~~I so know the feeling about trying to organize anything to do with Doug's tools etc. He can get pretty testy if I rearrange his stuff even though he has it strewn about the countryside. He's one of the most disorganized people I know but manages to keep up with things by knowing where all his 'piles' of stuff are. If I try to consolidate his stuff he can't find a thing and gets really 'testy' if you can believe that of him. I've learned to be patient and after a couple months of the messies I give him a warning that if he doesn't consolidate it I'm going to do it as I live here too. LOL

Marty, no I've not found a Rex yet and would really like on of those 'Escargot' varieties with the twirly leaves.

OK got to go! Have a great day!
    Deanne

• babs_clare
    15 years ago

I'd rather idyll than go to work on this sunny morning: )

I LOVE your apron Mary!! My local Joanne Fabrics is liquidating and is selling whole bolts(no cuts allowed)of material at 75% off! You could make a zillion aprons! : )

Chelone that is a HANDSOME stove! I've never seen a soapstone one-that is really gorgeous.

Denise-I hadn't even realized that some areas don't have peepers but it makes perfect sense. Cynthia,I too enjoy the sound of peepers for that exact reason that it means spring is here!

HI HONEY! I have missed you...while I haven't been here: (
    I have much more to say but I gotta go to work.

Chris is doing quite well and the swelling is almost gone-that was scary though. After stupidly looking at internet images of staph infections I was sure he'd have a crater for a face. All flesh is intact : )

Make your Monday a good one!

Babs

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

Hooray - I love vacation time (we're on Spring Break). Tools are now 98% organized, sorted, and labelled and it gives me great pleasure to walk past them all. DH still seems rather ambivalent about the project - perhaps they are man's territory after all. But I'm sure organized drawers and cupboards are beter than one giant pile necessitating extra trips to HD, and will prove their value in the long run.

Today I need to make a run with Annie to the Apple store for some IPod repair, take David to Bass lesson, practice for the recital and pack for our trip.

For lunch everyone begged for veggie Chickpea pancakes again and then David tried to get me to promise more for dinner tonight. It's funny what can grab kids' taste buds. But then David has adored Indian food since a tiny baby - we joke he was an Indian in his past life.

Woody - have fun with your food prep!

Babs - great news about Chris. By the way - how is MIL doing?

GB - enjoy your morning (perhaps I should say afternoon now).

Onwards and upwards!

Mary

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I was doing a GW search today for threads on the topic 'Evergreens in Perennial Borders' and a few Idyll posts of old came up. My my my...very interesting. Not a lot of photos still functioning but a few...including a photo of Gardenbug's fenced veggie garden, newly hatched goslings and Beau Monde tulips..so pretty! LOVED those photos Gardenbug. You are living quite the Idyll life there! Did you finish the brick pathway in the veggie garden? Kitchen gardens are a yearning of mine. Yours is quite nice. Wow, further on, I see you have Camassia..one of my favs. I winter sowed those two years ago but they didn't come back after their first winter.

Also in the same May '06 thread tydlled 'A BeautifulDay in May...Ei was posting the lyrics to 'Oh What A Beautiful Mornin'' from Oklahoma. One of my favorite songs of all time and I can still feel the pleasure of watching that movie and hearing that song for the first time.

So, where are you hiding Ei? :-)

Marian posted a gorgeous Clematis and so did Cindy.

Sue's Mother's Day post was a riot.

Mother's Day is a month away, have you started thinking of what hints to drop?

pm2

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

What fun to return to Idyll #264!

Yes PM2, I think for Mother's day that DH and I need to come up with a plan for a trip out west to visit with DD's family. That's my wish! And yes, the brickwork and arbor were completed. I'll try to find the photos.

OK, found:
    {{gwi:156095}}

{{gwi:156096}}

{{gwi:156097}}

{{gwi:156098}}

Today was excellent, though I am bushed. OOOPS! No, I'm pooped. My friend John came by and pruned our crabapple tree, a sambucus, and a ninenark. He also tried to rescue a wild cornus alterifolia that was pushed over by the flooding. We'll see if it survives in its new home. I'm hoping!

Lots of other things got done: two large island beds were tidied up, the small mailbox garden too. I raked and raked, but there always seems to be more! The weather is supposed to stay nice (even though 24F tonight) so I'm planning on attacking more tomorrow. It's very discouraging to see the damage done by flooding. Lots of soil will need to be replaced SOON to cover roots and reseed lawn. The mower is back and ready to go. I need to finish pruning clematis and start in on the roses. Most of the ornamental grasses have had their haircuts.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Denise, thanks for the peek at your garden. The fence, the tile and the fringe tree are all a treat to see.

Deanne, I had Escargot last year and it just wimped out on me. You on the other hand can probably get it to thrive.

Kathy, wow! Your garden is looking fabulous. It will sell the house itself.

Chelone, the stove is truly lovely.

LOL about Annie not wanting to be caught online wearing an apron. It is a pretty one though. I wear one my mom made me occasionally

Honey, great to see you report in. I was wondering what you were up to, it sounds like plenty.

I wonder what Brenda is up to these days?

Marian, the catcus is wonderful. I have several but havent had them very long.

We spent yesterday afternoon with DHs siblings and spouses. Since his dad is gone we just dont seem to get together much. Ill probably try to do something this summer as several garden and they just may "get" what I do out here.

Jaden and I took a walk out past the overflowing creek, the ponds, through the grove and checked out all the waterfowl that are visiting at this time of year. Our weather seems to be shaping up. It was probably 60 today with sunshine and wind. Tomorrow will be the same but about 10 degrees warmer. We call this good drying weather. DH is itching to get in the field and Im itching to get into the garden. I have done some cleaning up but not nearly as much as Deanne.

I continue to work in the laundry. I ripped out some of the flooring tonight. DHs son will lay the new but we usually do the prep work.

I really need to declutter this place. So Im off.

Michelle

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Im sorry to say I havent had time to idyll other than to quickly note Babs, Honey dropping in -- alot of each of their plates!

No snow, here, but finally Spring (despite it going back down to the 30s tonite).

{{gwi:156100}}

I did manage to SALAT tonite....

-Cindy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Holey Moley Cindy, that's just beautiful! Thanks!

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

You've been holding out on us Cindy !

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Cindy, I'd SALAT if my garden look that good too. Right now I'd have to kneel as everything is pretty miniscule.

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finished the windows in the Salon! 10 doublehungs (2 triple mullions, 4 singles) and 4 "awning" style casements, with grilles. Every one of them has 2 coats of pickling stain and 2 coats of satin finish clear sealant on the sashes. They've all been scraped and washed and all the hardware is back on them. I've begun pickling the trimwork in the stairwell and have sealed the parts most likely to receive greasy fingerprints from the helpmeet.

Helpmeet purchased the Hemlock for the posts and railing that will encircle the now open stairwell. I've done the pickling color test on a sample of it and it will work nicely with the rest of the pine; the grain is different but very interesting.

I cracked up over poor Lord Nelson... is that story for real, Denise?

I began pulling leaves away from some of the crowns of plants (esp. Narcissus) but wimped out when I realized to finish I'd have to empty the helpmeet's crap out of the gardenway cart. We need Mary to come organize the bahn.

Denise, the fence is great! Mum was big on using odd numbers for any sort of arrangement she did, saying it provided a more interesting "rhythm" than evens (unless you're talking about Georgean architecture!).

I have to run, don't feel like working today, either. I would rather mess around in the yard rediscovering my plant friends.

Waving to everyone else.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning....gee, it was a busy couple of days here. Such a burst of posting and photos!

Kathy...LOVE that photo of your yard and that Lady Banks rose is amazing! Nice pruning job. It really does cover itself with blooms. You are inspiring me to keep trying with the roses. I have all five of our small roses pruned and composted cow manure added in the fall. Do you fertilize in the spring? Would you call that an obelisk, that is painted blue? Is it home to a clematis? The blue is just enough and very cheerful with the Lady Banks yellow. All that SALATing has paid off. :-)

Gardenbug, great photos of your vegetable garden. Makes a nice view from your house? What makes me think roses will be going up on the arbors? [g] What are your plans for this year? Does DH enjoy the gardens? Gee you could probably grow your own food for the year in that size garden. Will you be canning at all? Sounds like your knee is improving.

Denise...is the gate project a team effort? Marty has some serious skills. I love that window and the roofline of the house behind it is attractive. Pretty borrowed landscape. When that fringe tree blooms, it goes to town..lol. Can't wait to see the finished results.

Martie....You and BGF must make a good team. Must be a great feeling to be on track for the growing season. Especially after a few years of no garden behind you. Seedlings are looking good! No pansies open here yet.

Mary, I envy you your organized garage for sure. I am sure DH will come to appreciate it the next time he is looking for something.

Woody, sorry you are still having computer problems. I used to lose posts until I started using Wordpad and now TextEditor on the Mac, to respond to threads. I keep two windows open and then copy/paste it into the site. Works every time!

Honey, sorry to hear that Michigan is being so hard hit economically. Wishing there were some better news on the economy front.

How is that cutie, Missy? We watch The Dog Whisperer at our house too. Great show.

Cindy, what a pretty spring bed! I like that you have so many bulbs together to really make an impact instead of scattered a little here, a little there. Good job!

DD just started a new job and I will be dropping her off at the train station in the mornings. I'm looking forward to such a nice way to start my day and there is a Lowe's to stop at on the way home to see what is in the nursery once in awhile.

It was freezing yesterday morning. Saw two gorgeous variegated, cream color hollies in standard form. One had red berries on it. $29. a piece. Almost came home with them until I noticed they were English Holly only hardy to zone 6. Thought I'd save myself the disappointment. Not really feeling well enough yet to get much done in the garden, although I keep trying. Half hour out there yesterday morning that was it. Trying not to get in a twist about it and plan to spend the next couple of days babying myself to see if I can feel better in time for gorgeous weather next week at least.

Since I am not getting about taking photos...here is another from NG....

{{gwi:156101}}

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

It looks like its going to be a great garden day here with lots of sunshine and temps in the 50s or 60s. We started out below freezing though. My poor fuchsias in the garage are all looking a bit raggedy at the moment but they are finally setting out some leaves generated in the sunshine so theyll be looking better soon. Yesterday my Rosy Dawn order came and boy those plants are gorgeous! I know I say it every year but what a treat to get such robust, and healthy plants by mail order. They sent a bonus plant called Flamingo that I know Im going to love. I sure hope its sun tolerant and that it holds it current magenta-purple coloration. Its a beauty.

Cindy! That bulb display is gorgeous! Every year I tell myself Im going to plant tulips and every year I get too busy putting the containers to bed and never get around to it. Your photos make me wish Id taken the time to plant bulbs. Beautiful!

Michelle, I had a lovely Escargot a couple years ago but lost it over the winter. It seems I can grow Rex Begonias outside but not inside. Im trying to figure out where Im failing in their indoor culture and Im thinking Im probably over watering them. It always baffles me when I cant seem to grow something when I do OK with most things.

Bug, you really have a perfect kitchen garden there. Great pics.

Mary, Im with you on getting organized. I really detest things in a jumble so you cant find anything. I have a peg board in my framing area downstairs and I keep all my tools put up on the board. Anytime I cant find something its because Doug lost his pliers (or whatever) and hes borrowed mine from the peg board and not returned them. Right now my claw hammer is missing and Ive no idea where its walked off to. LOL

Babs, so glad to hear that Chris infection is healing up! That must have been a real worry.

Heres a pic of one of my Bella Hybird Abutilons. These seem to do really well for me under the lights.
    {{gwi:156102}}

OK Im off to the gym then Im going to spend a day in the gardens. Have a great day everyone!

Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

High of 53 expected today. YES. More outdoor work after a few errands.
    ENJOY!

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

High of 70 but quite windy, but then I have to work anyway.

Deanne, the abutilon is gorgeous. I haven't given up on rexes yet. I do have one that I have had several years and it looks great. I think indoors they like my lack of watering. I believe Kathy mentioned planting them in clay pots, I'll try that this year.

Enjoy your day

Michelle

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Mary's chickpea pancake recipe ended up in the middle of a transcript I was working on. Gotta watch that cut-and-paste action! Who knows, maybe the attorneys would prefer I'd left it in. Your Honor, I move to admit this fantastic chickpea pancake recipe into evidence...pass the pickle...

I've got questions too, PM, on 'bugs veg garden, like can that path possibly be dry laid with such winters? Great spot for the barbie, overlooking the garden. The artichokes haven't looked tempting here yet, is why I asked. They're available year-round, off season coming from So. America I believe, but have been a scroungy-looking bunch for the most part. What giant nests the herons make. Besides these big guys, we also get night herons at the harbor, a much smaller bird.

PM, I did bring out some bruschetta for Marty's lunch. Does that count as a team effort? ;) Hope you're feeling better and ready to tackle the garden soon.

True enough about Lord Nelson (only way to preserve his illustrious body for the journey home and hero's funeral). Able-bodied seamen got the typical burial at sea. Bit of inside info, and don't faint, ladies, but when my BIL was an AB (able-bodied seaman) I found out they refer to themselves as "sperms," bit of play on words there.

Michelle, I love hearing about your walks with Jaden. So many of you have such great places to walk your dogs, just outside your door.

Cindy, you must have had a break from the steady stream of travails last fall to get those tulips in, and aren't you glad you did! Sheer loveliness. Spectacular armillary sphere, or what looks to be one.

Kathy, you must be glad on some level to be able to enjoy spring in your beautiful garden. True? Thanks for faithfully posting pix of the Queen, she's grand.

Babs, Chris seems a bit young and angelic for shaving? Glad that cellulitis is fading without a hitch.

Deanne, the abutilon is spectacular, and to think it's been indoors all winter. Wow.

I checked with Marty before asking about the peepers, since he moved around a lot as a kid, Virginia, So. Carolina. Never heard of them. I've got to think of something local and unheard of to dazzle you guys with...that'll take me a while ;)

Woody, did you find that post yet?

Weather has mercifully cooled and it's now overcast. Perfect!

• honey_mi
    15 years ago

Good morning. Chilly here but getting warmer each day for the rest of the week. Think Ill put the rest of the patio furniture out this week, uncover the BB, and work outside as much as possible. The list seems to go on. Busy spring.

DH has been in a funk for months and would get testy if I suggested projects that we could do. Thats one of the reasons I took that P/T florist job. I did get him to do some things, but am now finding out stuff he didnt do, i.e., fix the garage door. Ill have to call someone out to adjust the pulley wires and get it operating smoothly again so I dont get stuck. Picked up some new grow lights this am and now have that operational again.

Deanne, Toms the same way. He has some disorganized method with his stuff and it drives me crazy. I ignore a lot. He usually does the bill paying and his filing system is a great puzzle to me. Twill be interesting. Gorgeous Albutions.

Mary, Tom and I also have had some great vacations tacked on to business trips, too. Usually, I got to go to better locales and he joined me. Once, he told me he couldnt get off work to join me in California. That is until I told him that along the way wed have to deliver a specially built luxury car to a major Sports Illustrated model & actress (hottie) who was surprising her hubby with it. It was amazing how fast he got clearance to take time off!

Denise, what a great space youre creating in the front of your home. The fence is beautiful. I think the 3 windows will really look nice. I just love some of the craftsman style bungalows that are so prevalent out there and the fact that you can fence in your property. Here, were not allowed to fence in our property (except around and immediately adjacent to a pool) and open landscaping where one yard flows into the next is encouraged. It does look nice and seems more open but is a problem if you have an inconsiderate neighbor.

Wow, wow, wow, Cindy! Just gorgeous! The only thing blooming here is my little "Glory in the Snow". Hmmm, perhaps its time to go get some pansys.

Bug, great to see your veggie garden and paths again.

Hi Michelle! Im hoping the Iris "Denim" you gave me will bloom this year. A few little leaves of Brunera Jack Frost are just popping up.

Babs, goof to hear Chris is doing better.

PM2, Missy is pooped today. Since DH wanted to spend some time with her, we kept her her home Sat. and she didnt get a walk or run at doggy daycare. So Sunday, she had the heebee jeebies and was pacing around. Yesterday, I indulged both of us and sent her for a full day. Shes outside now just enjoying spring, sun and nice temps. Its hard to believe shell be a year old soon!

Well, its sunny out so Im outta here. Hope youre doing the same!

Honey

15 years ago

creak....groan....OW!... We more-or-less cleaned up the front beds this afternoon and prepared 6 big pots for planting peas tomorrow. Man, I'm out of shape!

If I'm not totally stiff and imobilised tomorrow, I will try to recreate my lost post. I had been doing the write-it-elsewhre approach for a while but got lazy and wrote it in the box; Randy called me to supper; I thought I hit 'submit' but obviousuly I missed... :-(

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I have given up on Rexes a few times. The last one I bought did ok on a shady table all summer. Had it in the house for a couple of months before it finally died. It was in a clay pot and it did not get the same watering schedule as the rest of my plants but soon enough, first one leaf then the next started to turn mildew and it is kaput. Is there some secret to keeping them in the house?

Denise...yes, keeping him fed is definitely holding up your end. :-) I bet he likes doing it himself. Right? I would double bet, you like doing the garden yourself.

Deanne...love the color and abundance of blooms on your Abutilon. Your camera takes a nice close up too.

Another half hour out in the garden this morning and that was it. Looked out the window at the beautiful spring sunshine all day. Had a two hour nap this afternoon that I hope will help. The forecast for the rest of the week/weekend looks like great garden weather here. Hoping.

pm2

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Afternoon all, well if you heard screaming from the Northeast this afernoon that would have been me..... I've been working on cleaning out the driveway garden and I've never had this much rodent damage in one area before. My entire clump of H. 'Lemon Queen' is gone, gone, gone.... I'd also like to know why they decided to eat three of my 'Gladiator' allium bulbs. The others are there but there were three large mature bulbs in the corner of that garden that are MIA. My lovely clump of Sedum 'Matrona' is decimated. There are tunnels running right through it and what's left is all undermined and falling out of the groung. My Heliopsis 'Lorainne Sunshine' and three clumps of Echinacea 'White Swan' are gone as well. And the list is growing..... Sometimes it seems you just can't win with this gardening stuff. Last year it was that hail storm just when things had gotten off to a good start and now I'm going to have to replant a ton of perennials. Oh yes, I'm not holding out any hope that any of the oriental and trumpet lilies are still there as there are tons of tunnels in those areas of the garden as well. OK done venting.... but I surely wish they'd kept their depredations to a resonable level.

More later,
    Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Deanne, such a pity, after all that work to have to replace so much. I wish I had a suggestion to prevent that kind of damage, but we have had rabbits and groundhogs last year, but not the little vole/moles over the winter yet. Something to look forward to I guess, as our garden fills in more. [g] I am dividing up two large Sedum 'Matrona' this year and would be happy to share if that helps. :-)

pm2

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I survived the trip. I feel like I've been hit by a truck mentally and physically. I'll update after I recover in a day or so.

I got this doggie warning on a rescue group list and wanted to warn all doggie Moms who might use flea and tick meds. DO NOT use the new product ProMeris without serious research on it's reactions.

Here' is part of the email:

"This is a new product designed to be a more effective product than other flea/tick treatments that was just released this year. It is available thru a vet and not currently on-line. I got ProMeris this week for my 7
    dogs (6 Huskies & 1 Golden-Airedale) , and the results were
    debilitating for nearly all of them-including me. Since my incident this week, my vet has pulled it from distribution and alerted the manufacturer, Fort Dodge. "

Take care all,
    Jerri

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hola Idylls, my Tuesday was not much improved over my Monday, but have survived both ..The weather is pleasant and the path to the weekend seems smooth. So today boss (in his never ending dont go mode) has advised me that he has enlisted the aid of another fellow VP to convince executive management at large that I need more $$ to entice me to stay just one more year. And ,in my e-mail is a note from my MG group notifying me that I am officially a candidate for my garden to be on the 09 garden tour and could they come and take a look next week ? Ai yi yi ! I am going to tell the MGs that they are more than welcome to take a look, and they can put me down as an alternate, if I am still here and someone bails I can step in to fill the void. A great way to get free weeding assistance for many weeks in spring. Will tell my boss to Show Me The Money.

bug, thinking Idyll 264 was before my time, and I do so like the design, layout and setting of your project.

Michelle , I hope you get your laundry room project completed before your weather is so nice you cant bear to be indoors anymore- thats where I am right now. I do my cleaning really early in the morning and then its outside for the duration.

Chelone, you are the worker-bee deluxe..bet all those windows look fabu-fabu.

PM, I have one Rex, is in a clay pot, and I moved it three or four times this winter, including spending the day outdoors when the weather was over 55. It is outside now in the shade. I let it get pretty dry between waterings this winter. Yes, I do call it an obelisk. My late DH made it for me, and it was the home to Buff Beauty hybrid perpetual rose. I had to cut the rose almost to the ground this winter so that I could remove the obelisk to take with me when I go-the rose had it in her clutches! I am an organic gardener and my roses get alfalfa meal in spring and Dr Earth rose food in June and again in Sept.If I remember , lol !

Deanne, I keep looking for the Bella hybrids after seeing yours. I wont buy any this year even if I find them since I am in a unsettled situation, but they are surely on my to-get list for the future .

Honey, the fence thing : Our lots here are so small that fences are really needed if you want to have any privacy what so ever. Every back yard is a secret garden . I think that the open thing with one yard flowing into another is really cool for the front of the house though. What do you do if you have a dog ?

Deanne, that is just so un-FF re: the destruction in your driveway garden. I am really lucky that I have no rodents here , and my worst issue is snail and the occasional banana slug. I would be totally bummed if my lilies got trashed. I guess your up side to the whole thing is the perfect excuse to go out and buy more plants !

Ok, thime to have some dinner and settle in for some baseball;I am ready for a total veg-out evening

Doobie likes the Nepeta

{{gwi:156103}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning...

Chilly this morning but it looks like another sunny day shaping up. Feeling very antsy and nothing seems to be distracting me much, so I went looking to see what spring photos were being posted on Idyll's last year. Found myself reading Idyll #315

What has changed in a year?
    Chelone was out in the garden working and contemplating the 'Salon'
    'V' was having SIL problems
    Sue was recovering from surgery
    Jerri was mixing it up with members of her rescue group
    Gardenbug was keeping company with Charlotte and no sign of a Phoebe and DD was still expecting Reed
    Cynthia's Monty was recovering and Katie was just starting to have problems
    Martie was laying faux bluestone and moving her Peace Rose
    Brenda was posting and her Mom had just passed the previous month
    T was babysitting the boys.
    Honey was taking care of business with the neighbors and won a TV
    Kathy was working on her teeth and posted gorgeous before/after pics of her front yard and celebrating a close call for BooBoo
    Michelle was excited about the upcoming SpringTeaandBridalShow
    Cindy took a week off from work and gardened herself silly, posted great bulb photos
    Eden was gardening with Bella :-) and playing backgammon with friends?
    Ei was anticipating the house going on the market and helping her Mom and Sis
    Wendy was mulching her woodland area and getting ready for a trip to the nursery with DH and the truck
    Mary was dusting herself off from a Hyper-tufa workshop and mourning the death of Rostropovich
    Deanne was thinking about starting over with her pond, admiring her climbing Hydrangea and posting gorgeous spring photos
    Babs' Ryan had just been bitten by a dog
    Saucy was back after long absence starting up a new business w hubby
    Norma was feeling like she was starting over and contemplating revamping spaces
    Monique was excited about Emma's recovery from surgery
    and
    JWJ...made a surprise appearance and was having a photo shoot of her house

Spring in another part of the world...

{{gwi:156104}}

It can't possibly be Wednesday already...
    pm2

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Morning all,

We are going to have a brilliant day here. Temps started out at 32 and are going up to 64, not a cloud in the sky. Severe Clear as Doug says the pilots call a day like this. Im hoping to finish cleaning up the driveway garden today and get the wisteria pruned and get that corner cleaned out. Then Ill have to tackle pond cleanup, get the fish outside and spring chores are done. Woohoo! Getting closer to being finished.

I put together my first three containers yesterday. They are just a spring cheer me up for the front steps but it feels good to have some color out there.

{{gwi:156105}}

{{gwi:156106}}

And here is a pic of the containers from the top of the steps.
    {{gwi:156107}}

Kathy, Love the garden pic with Doobie pruning your Nepeta. My boys love it too. I really love the blue obelisk in this pic. Sue has one that color also. ~~ If you cant find any of the Bella hybrids Abutilon when you get situated let me know and I can send you some rooted cuttings or pick some up at the nursery I get them from and send them out to you. They really are winners.

Jerri, glad to have you back. Sending hugs your way. I have to go to a cousins funeral today and Im not looking forward to dealing with the relatives. These are the folks from my Dads side of the family. She was just a year older than I but mentally ill and on meds her whole life. Her liver failed.

PM thanks for the kind offer of some Matrona but Ive got enough left to get it going again. I just have to replant the sections that are left.

Woody, I can totally empathize with your creaking and groaning. No matter how much time I spend at the gym gardening uses whole different muscle groups. Must feel good to have those front gardens cleaned up.

Honey, I can empathize about the garage door undone project. Ive got a list of those projects on the never will get done list. Four years ago I asked for a full view storm door for my front door for my BD. Id been asking for him to put one on for three years prior and I thought that if I asked for it for my BD Id get it. NOT! It still hasnt happened.

Denise, LOL about the pancake recipe ending up in your transcript!

Michelle, Im beginning to think that my Rex Begonia problem is because I must overwater them. Even though Im careful I must be giving them too much TLC.

OK Ive got to hit the shower and get dressed. Ive got to be out the door by nine.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Kathy....I must be still giving the Rex too much water, thanks for the tip. Also for the rose fertilizer info. I am going to have to find a feed store near me. I've looked for the alfalfa meal and not found it yet. Buff Beauty is one of my favs too. LOVE that obelisk and so special since your DH made it just for you. :-)

Deanne...glad you have some Matrona left. It won't be long before it is a big patch again, they grow so fast! LOVE your pots...such great color to start the spring season off with!

G'bug.....I caught your rain barrel set up in one of the photos...check that off your list. Thanks :-)

Honey...wow, a year already...Missy should be very happy she lives at your house, we would be entirely too sedate for her. [g] Glad you are working it out so well. DoggyDayCare sounds like a good movie plot. lol

15 years ago

I'm pretty stiff this morning - I sure hope I get back in shape for the garden quickly! Starting the clean-up in the front just highlights how much more needs doing! And we haven't finished the front yet - still need to do the garage area, the herb bed, the porch area and the south side of the house. And the backyard is considerably bigger - but still too wet to do much there until next week at least. Plus the dog-poo-patrol has to clean it up first! We've had a lot of doggie visitors over the winter and the evidence is now clearly visible.

This morning I meant to plant the peas in the pots we prepared yesterday - but I forgot to put the seeds out to soak last night! I put them out this morning so I'll plant them this evening.

I'm trying to remember what was in my lost post...

I know I commented on Houseplant Queen Marian's fabulous cactus. I've had the occasional bloom from a cactus but nothing like that!

I see that Babs posted an update on Chris's lip problem. I'm happy to see that it seems to be improving and hope it continues to do so; it sounded like a very worrisome thing to have.

Honey - that sure sounded like hectic times re your DH's new job! I hope you get a chance for some visiting in Paris. Is that the sort of job that could lead to a work stint in Europe for a couple of years? That would be a fun thing to do. It sounds like your DD is a practical and down-to-earth sort - takes after you...? With DH away, it must be especially nice to have DD there - and Missy. And it sounds like you've got lots on your plate to keep you occupied while DH is away :-)

And I know I commented on pretty fashionista Katie in her pink couture gown.

And Chelone's beautiful stove... The Salon is going to be drop-dead gorgeous.

Mary's apron looks practical and attractive. I need to use a apron more than I do - I'm a very messy cook.

I was very annoyed with myself on Monday - I took my camera with me to get pictures of my friend's marathon cooking results - but forgot to use it! She had meant to take pictures too - but also forgot! The end result of her cooking was 16 family-sized platters of food. I got to take home some butter chicken and a curried salmon steak for Randy (I don't like fish...:-)

Deanne - poor you re the vole damage - that would be VERY annoying! Knock-on-wood, I've never had problems with such things. Rabbits are an issue - but Misty is a dedicated rabbit hunter and keeps the population down in the backyard at least.

You California ladies are so lucky with the early start to warmth and gardening...

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

The dock is in and DH is now setting up hoses. Spring is definitely in the air! I grow mainly clematis on the arbor in the vegetable garden though a few roses may have survived, but too early to tell. There are fewer and fewer vegetables and herbs, more and more flowers there.

Today I raked a huge pile of flood debris from the front lawn area. There are many areas that will need soil and seed there. :( More island beds to deal with this afternoon.

The tough tale of the day is that Sarah's fabulous dog Indy dug her way out of their yard last night when they were out to dinner. They drove everywhere and phoned everywhere and still no clue where she could be. Sarah is totally miserable and hoping someone kept her indoors for the night. She is tattooed, and chipped too I believe. Indy is truly her first baby and I hope so hard that nothing bad has come of her. They have repaired the fencing and gates frequently and were convinced they were now foolproof. Alas.... I keep returning to the computer for updates!
    PM2, I so enjoyed your review from Idylls past.
    Deanne, F-F colour in those porch pots!
    Later,
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

I woke up this morning with the thermometer reading 50 degrees and finches on the feeder. The reluctant spring may actually be here. Ive done little in the garden though. It does seem to be pretty dry. I could easily be planting peas like Woody.
    Last night I did 6 wintersowing containers, even though its not winter anymore.

Kathy, we are kind of at a stand still in the laundry room until the flooring gets laid. I do want to add beadboard around the sink and washer/dryer area and we have a new sink to install. We will do these things when we move the washer and dryer out for the flooring install.

Deanne, how terribly frustrating to find so much damage. I have one bed that I get some rodent damage in but it's the Welcome Garden and I dont have anything real special out there since its my one garden that I dont water. Mostly coneflowers, autumn joy and that type of plants.
    We did have lots of shrubs eaten by rabbits this winter. Its hard to get any size to them, but I dont have time cage them all.
    Funny but we purchased a full view storm door for our back door and it remains in the garage more than a year later. Although, the old door is almost shot and wont shut properly so theres hope that it will be a necessity soon.
    Your front door containers look so nice and surely bring a smile when you see them. I need something by mine, but the closest nursery is ½ hour away and I just havent been there to get something.

PM2, the look back to last year was neat. A lot has changed.

Kathy, my thought always is why werent you paying me more all along if you find it so hard to do without me.

Honey, best to get the garage door adjusted. We were stuck in ours a while back and of course it wasnt a convenient time.

'bug, I certainly hope that your DD finds her dog back. Our last dog we believe was stolen and we never did get him back.

That reminds me of an interesting story. My BIL's dog went missing and they looked and looked and thought it strange as he wasn't fenced and always stayed home. 2 years later some guy was arrested for theft and when they searched the place he lived on, there was BIL's dog and someone actually recognized the dog as theirs and Red was returned after a 2 year absence.

Another warm but windy day on tap here. Enjoy yours!

Michelle

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I feel like I've been a bad Idyller. I have been reading, but everytime I want to post, something comes up. I don't know if I will comment on all that I have thought to say in the past few days!

I am excited that the ball is rolling on IU5. I am also planning my trip to TN to see a friend, and introduce a friend to TN for the first time. I have a "girls" weekend planned at the end of May in Maine - we'll be 5 moms with no strings, very fun. I also have a Tower Hill plant sale and nursery trip with NE Idyllers to look forward to, and possibly a trip to Garden in the Woods (I will send a "still interested?" email). I feel like my dance card is filling up.

I have been busy in my neighbor's garden. I love to give her garden it's spring spruce up. We go to the wholesaler on Friday and this is a treat for me. It's fun to see the big operation and load her truck full of plants. Planting will begin next week.

My garden is still in it's planning stages, but we are planning to work on the bones this weekend. Sadly, the 100 y.o. maple in the backyard is dead (they ran over the roots to hook up to the sewage before I moved in)...it's getting removed along with some other large "bones." Nick has lush green grass planned for the back and I have it bordered with beds (in my head :) I feel inspired this year.

PM, I loved your synopsis of last year at this time. Maybe you could give us a run down next April, too :)

Deanne, you always make a statement! I love your containers....gorgeous. I thought you built cages for your plants a couple of years ago....am I thinking of someone else? The devastation is hard to imagine, but I know you will come up with something fabulous to take it's place :)

Wish I could've seen Woody's feast! I do enjoy your cooking escapades.

I think the chickpea cakes sound wonderful and will try them! I am especially interested in the onion trick.

I still have not made it to the shower today. Everytime I tried to, someone needed a ride or a meal. I am off for hot suds and then I'm sitting on my sofa with my blanket and watching last night's episode of The Riches. I like my t.v. serials, and none of you Idylls will convince me otherwise! Luckily I don't have kids who are glued to the tube and don't really worry about it like I think some people should :)

The street sweeper finally came and did a really bad job in front of my house. I ended up sweeping it myself and throwing it in the garbage....I wait all year for the one day when the sweeper comes.....

TTYL...

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Evening all,

Well Im over the moon, I bought a new camera and new lens and Im loving it. I upgraded my Canon Rebel Xti to the Canon 40D and it was worth every penny. The 40D outperforms the Xti by a mile at higher ISO settings. I also picked up a nice, fast 100mm. macro/portrait lens and its as sharp as advertised. New toys, what fun! So I ran around outside this afternoon chasing the cats around taking their pics. They didnt know what was up but here are a few pics of Rahjii, my spotty, poka-dotty boy.
    {{gwi:156108}}

{{gwi:156109}}

{{gwi:156110}}

Woody, the best way to deal with being sore from garden clean-up is more of the same! LOL. Sounds like you still have your work cut out for you. Did you get your peas planted tonight?

Bug, how discouraging to keep dealing with flooding every spring. So sorry! How about a barn/pond pic for us?

Michelle, how great you are finally getting some spring weather. WE are too and Im loving it!

Saucy, yes, I did cage my clematis a few years ago on the plants in the back but Ive never had any rodent damage in the front so this is new territory for the drasty beasts. ~~ I always sweep the street in front of our house even though the city does. They never really do a good job so I just do it myself.

OK Doug just got home with groceries so its time to run and help him put them away.

Have a good evening
    Deanne

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Wow Deanne! I feel like I've been on a Safari, LOL! I can't wait to see what you do with this new camera!

GB, I am sorry I missed the trip to your farm. You have laid out such a beautiful garden and I love getting glimpses into your little piece of the world.

Kathy, I hope they keep wooing you no matter what you choose....it must be flattering :)

Sarah and I gave the dog a Spring brushing yesterday and left all the hair in the lawn. This morning we're watching a chickadee pair pick it up for nesting!

I've got a bus to catch!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Thanks Michelle. No news yet. They narrowed it down to a 15 minute period when she went missing. We're all feeling very sad. Do you know anything about how Red behaved after his return?

70F expected today, 75 tomorrow. Needless to say, I'll be outside. Imagine though how the house has been neglected... Saucy, sorry you haven't made it here. You can come ANY time. Any help with weeding is appreciated ;)

Reed is 10 months old today, but he misses Indy...Skyler is back with Sarah's family. Mom is still too 'sick' to care for him. Good thing she doesn't have to care for a new puppy too.

15 years ago

Deanne - great pictures with that new camera! Yes, I got the peas planted yesterday - but forgot to do the lettuce so will do that - and more garden clean-up - today. A dentist visit and a filling is also on the agenda unfortunately!

gb - I sure hope Indy is found soon! I noticed our south gate was partly open yesterday which gave me conniptions! That gate has a sticky latch and it obviously hadn't closed properly after we had used it on Tuesday. I'm paranoid about gates being open so will have to remind Arlene, Barb and Randy about double checking to make sure it's really closed whenever they go through it.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

It was so nice to spend 2 ½ hours in the garden last night. I believe all the grasses are cut back. I was able to move a few perennials, but its somewhat risky as not all the bulbs are up and of course I dont know where they all are. I also planted sugar snap peas, baby spinach, radishes and parsley.

Rick may not be in the field but repairs of the field cultivator are in progress and my help was required. I dislike that kind of work as I feel its dangerous. I know why farming is ranked up high in the most dangerous jobs. Last night a 500 lb. piece needed to be removed and it wasnt easy, Rick was maneuvering it and I was lifting it with a chain attached to the bucket of the skidloader. I was plenty relieved when it was done.

bug, as far as I know Red was the same after returned and died of old age. My sister has 4 kids as well.

Deanne, enjoy your new camera. My new toy is a camcorder. Last summer I wasnt able to use the old one because none of the batteries would hold a charge. So far the garden hasnt looked like much to use it though.

Michelle

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Everyone's in the garden, huh?

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Still waiting for Indy....Perhaps I'll leave the last post open for the announcement of her return?
    She was spotted last night at 4pm and then again later on too. Although she is micro chipped, the chip is tricky to find as it shifted to one of her elbows from the neck area where it was implanted.

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This has been a busy week for me. Adventures in canvas, tax time, some actually springlike weather, and Rex's surgery (today).

I am very sorry to learn that Indy has gone AWOL, 'bug. Sarah must be just heartsick.

I am closing this thread out because there is something unfulfilled about not finishing 100 posts. Perhaps it will break the jinx and bring Indy home. Sending good thoughts for that fool dog's timely return.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

You did it Chelone!
    FOUND! She's on her way home!
    Wayne & Skyler checked the pound yet one more time...and there she was.
    Oh my....I'm in tears.
    It has been a very long 4 days.
    You can uncross everything now! Thanks for all the support!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler