dodgerdudette
14 years ago

We do love our flowers don't we ?

Carry on Idylls !

Comments (102)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Spent the morning taking a photo for DH's critique of the ministry meetings he has been participating in. It was rather fun in a way, but I discovered that I am not good as a photographer of scary things. First of all my vehicle is bright red. Hard to be sneaky in it. And then as I parked at the entry to the gravel pit, I had to put my flashing lights on as I rolled down the window to shoot. Anyway, I'll never make a super sleuth. I certainly was jittery.

I checked out the closest nursery today and it is barely open. Lots of pots at huge prices, pansies, pansies and more pansies. I picked up a very small table and 2 chairs for the patio at a discount. Why a discount? I don't know...but the owner offered it so i didn't refuse 1/3 off! I also picked up some clematis fertilizer and a hand weeding fork.

Julie, the new baby is due in mid September. Plenty of waiting time. Ivy starts day care in May at which time DSIL returns to work. Yes, Skyler has come a long way since he was 7. He'll be 11 on April 22nd. I hope Adrian's meds are under control these days. It is so hard being a kid at times! Ivy's Birthday is in May and I have no ideas for a birthday gift.... Sigh.

Phoebe has been behaving like a naughty girl lately. I guess it is a mix of my having been away and the fresh smells of spring. I used the leash for the first time in ages yesterday and she was TERRIBLE, wiggling from left to right and starting and stopping and trying to pull. UGH. Good thing Chelone didn't see! Yes, I know, beatings. DH actually tries to reason with her - with predictable results.

Here is another NG photo from 2009.
    {{gwi:156177}}

'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Today was an exciting day for me. I was invited to a studio after the art exhibit blue ribbon and today she invited me to display my leaf!

I have the opportunity to teach classes in the space as well as display my leaves for sale in the gallery.

I have to come up with a plan and figure out how it will all work, but I am really considering this - in fact I left my biggest leaf!

You all have been my biggest encouragement :) I am so tickled right now!

Back after class to read more...

Saucy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Congratulations Saucy!

• chelone
    14 years ago

Wrecks is all about grabbing his leash in his teeth and doing the tug o' war thing with me on the way home from a walk. It's funny, he's full of beans on the way "out", "boldly going when no dog has gone before", then settles down to a sedate "cruise". But when we're about half way home he gets silly... grabs the leash in his mouth and acts like puppy; shaking his head, hopping backwards, and growling. I'm fine with it, actually, 'bug. He knows how to behave himself on a leash and I know he's just "being silly" and just wants me to play with him. So he just bounces along backwards, shaking his head, growling while I offer minimal resistance while still moving toward home. Idiot.

Rex is a wader. The Wrecking Crew is definitely into the complete baptism. I am not accustomed to thoroughly wet dogs (which reminds of yet another reason why I hate dogs). But, they are Labs. and water figures prominently in their "job description". So I use the stairway barrier and make sure they have a comfortable place to "dry off" after I take them swimming in the pond in my BIL's backyard. Want to exercise a Lab. in no time flat? walk to the pond tossing a tennis ball ahead of you and have them retrieve it for you. You can get them to run countless yards in no time flat if you have decent throw (and even if you don't!). On the way, collect all sorts of sticks and bundle them under your arm. When you get to the pond, toss the items into the water far enough to require a goodly swim to retrieve them. Keep this up for 20-30 minutes. On the way "home" repeat the process. And allow plenty of time to roll; this greatly assists in "drying out" and will help minimize that "stink". Base and foul creatures; which is why I hate them. Stupid, too.

I am worried that my precious Vera hasn't shown her sweet little tabby face since noontime... I won't sleep well until she's in.

V., recommendation for a book: "In Fed We Trust" by David Wessel. It's great, a good read about the Fed's war on the
    Great Panic" and current economic policy. I thought of you frequently as I was reading it. Woody, too, actually. I think you'd like it.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Greetings my friends, from the coast of Southern California, in the beautiful city of Santa Barbara. The drive down was a pleasant and scenic one , through the central coast inland valleys along Hwy 101, a drive I have always enjoyed. It always surprises me how exotic this area seems to me now, even though I grew up and lived into my 30s in this climate ! I took a brief walk-about this afternoon and snapped some pics in haste to share. Tommorow is Lotusland and probably the mission too.

Yay to Saucy ! So happy for you !

Waves to all, hope for a more coherent post tommorow !

Here are a few photos thus far .. {{gwi:156178}}From Santa Barbara 4-2010
    {{gwi:156184}}From Santa Barbara 4-2010
    {{gwi:156186}}From Santa Barbara 4-2010
    {{gwi:156188}}From Santa Barbara 4-2010

Kathy in Santa Barbara

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Just a fly-by to say that I had to giggle a little when I opened the picture of the hosta and the Chelone 'Hot Lips' a few posts back from Kathy. :)

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Wow -- great photos, Kathy -- it looks to me like the Land From Down Under -- it is Exotic for an Easterner -- cant wait to see more...

I hope Chelone (not the Hot Lips one) has an okay day tomorrow and no confrontations - unless you're looking forward to the event.... aargh; Im into denial these days myself.

Saucy - that is so incredibly cool that you not only get to teach something you love doing but are going to make some money doing that and the classes!!! Amazing - keep up the success stories for us.

Waving to all.

-cindy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Working hard out in the gardens and already feeling behind! Did some un-caging of shrubs (just a few) and weeded several yards of a row in the veg garden. I've been wearing gloves (which I hate...) and my hands are already dry and scratched.

Rain tomorrow, so probably back to housework!

I've always admired Saucy's energy and enthusiasm, so this latest reward is not a surprise, but certainly well deserved! Hurray! To think I knew her back when... It's great knowing all of the Idylls...even before fame. :)

Another National Geographic winner from 2009.
    {{gwi:156190}}

'bug

14 years ago

Fly-by post - need to get back out and tie up 'Harlequin' honey suckle vines...

It always makes me nervous when Randy gets up on the roof but it's interesting to see the garden from literally a different point of view! Randy was trying out a wide angle lens for his new camera...

{{gwi:25630}}

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Neat to see Randy's shadow too!
    Rain here tomorrow, with possible thunderstorms.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

An enjoyable day was had here in zone 10,capped off by a nursery crawlthe results are on the counter in my hotel room loo. One of the nurseries had a rose sales area unlike anything Ive encountered thus far, and it was in peak bloom; just dumb luck that I stumbled upon it.
    Lotusland ..wow . Because the garden is an estate situated in the most tony area going in these parts (Montecito) their use permit is very resrictive. Unless you are a member, all visits are docent led (small groups of about 8 which was nice) and the walk is two miles in 2 hours. Not the best photo taking situation. I ended up putting my camera back to auto since I didnt have time to mess with the settings. Membership is 75 a year, and you can wander around at will without admission twice, and as many other visits as you wish for 20 bucks.Im definitely going to come back, and will buy a membership when I do. In any case here are few of the more decent pics I took, and I can tell you they in no way do the place justice. A very unique and beautiful place.

Tommorow the SB Botanical Garden

{{gwi:156193}}

{{gwi:156195}}

{{gwi:156196}}

{{gwi:156204}}

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Saucy,thats terrific on the studio invite. How fun to be around other artistic people too. I would take your class in a heartbeat. With that and working with you neighbor you will be very busy.

Woody, thats a great view of the front garden. Now he will have to update the view a few times. Makes me nervous to have Bob on the roof too. Especially since the end where he cleans the flu is two stories high with a gable too.

Bug I didn't notice Randys shadow until you mentioned it. What an eye you have.

Kathy, great eye candy. I like the differant colors of foliage in that hedge by the mosaics. I can picture your hotel bathroom of plants. LOL

Chelone, I love that Rex is silly sometimes. It shows that he enjoys life with you. You are such a treat for the wrecking crew. I imagine they dream about their time spent at the compound.

Hi Cindy , Candy Cyn, Julie and all the rest.

I'm tuckered again tonight and need to go to town tomorrow.

I'm hoping all the rain doesn't go around us tonight and tomorrow.
    The early iris are starting to bloom. The redbud blooms and pollen are flying everywhere. New weeds sprout everyday.
    Niki caught a vole last night and Rocky got a mole this morning. Way to go animals. Rebel is howling with the coyotes all night and sleeping all day. Jasmine sleeps 90 percent of the time. LOL.

Later Norma

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

The trees are starting to take on a nice green haze. It makes my drive to work more enjoyable. I try to notice interesting things each day as I travel. One of the things that really caught my eye this winter was an apple tree that held red apples all winter on bare branches. It looked so cool against the snow. I really should have taken the time to take a picture.

I have worn Ladybug garden shoes for years. You get them at the farm supply store. A couple of years ago I tried the Crocs without the holes and they work well too.

Saucy, what a great entry into the art world. I wish you great success.

Kathy, great pictures but what a nuisance to have to keep up with a group. Interesting how different gardens can be.

Woody, I love the overall view. It gives me a better idea of the layout of your garden. I've done the same thing from our roof or even the 2nd story window.

Chelone, dogs - hate them or not you have to admit their antics are pretty comical at times. Jaden although believed to be part lab doesn't really like to get wet. A little wading through the creek but not swimming in the pond. She won't fetch anything either. She loves to run though. If we start the 4 wheeler up she goes nuts and will run along side for quite a distance.

'bug, the NG pictures are really amazing. Of course baby animals are always fun. They've even made snails look good.

Cindy, the quotes are all from sites on the internet.

Norma, I hope you get the moisture. Its the pits to be so dry right away in the spring. We had rain the last 2 mornings. Which has been good for the plants that I've moved.

A few shots from my garden tonight:
    {{gwi:156207}}

{{gwi:156209}}

{{gwi:156210}}

Michelle

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

O, Michelle - what a treat to see such lovelies in your garden. Makes me wonder where my pasque flower is now; hmm, I wonder if it got crowded out? That hellebore is beautiful - is it Ivory Prince?

Woody -- that's a very neat vista, but scary to think of Randy up there -- and gosh, you are so far behind my region - it really brings it home... But I wont be trying a vista like that!

Kathy -- sounds like you're having a great time; you're a testament to solo garden travels --- Lotusland is certainly a unique and amazing place - I did the virtual tour at lunch today with you, LOL... but you've got some amazing photos even if they were on auto; that is indeed hard to be in a garden where you cannot just wander at your own pace....

Well, suffering a bit of insomnia here, but it was nice to have the time to check in and see all this great stuff.

Received my first order today, Part 1 from Lazy S Nursery.... they're coming...... I guess I better get busy figuring out where it's all going, LOL.

I managed to cut the grass tonite for the first time -- ready for rain showers tomorrow. Have a lot of bare spots this year that are going to need reseeding -- Mother Nature and Man contributed in equal amounts I think to its ruination. Guess that will be on the urgent to-do list this weekend.

Thanks for the photo eye candy, all. Can't wait to see more!!

Cindy

14 years ago

Kathy - the colors and patterns in that last picture are wonderful!

Michelle - that's a fabulous looking hellebore - so lush looking and perfect with the variegated leaves (euonymus?) in the corner - another picture for FG...?

• babs_clare
    14 years ago

Hi All!

Gotta say Norma, that dicentra pic is be-e-eautiful! How old is that plant? I sure wish mine was that huge: ) It's just gorgeous.

Michelle-how neat that you scored on a chandelier for the shed-cottage! With a chandelier it can't be called a shed anymore; )

Saucy that's really exciting about the gallery! Good for you!

Woody-That's a neat pic to see the bones of your garden(looks nice!)-but I also like how you can see Randy's shadow as part of the pic illustrating your story : ) All I keep thinking is, "please be careful!" lol.

Kathy your trip looks very exciting!

....Funny/strange how different my life is~I used to put Ryan to bed/nap then fill the afternoon with Idylling : )-that seems like SO long ago and I guess it was! I miss that.

'Bug-love those Nat'l Geog. pics! Per your quest. about our home situation, we're still in the same home-the only thing for sale here has been the foreclosed homes-it kills me when I see homes that are selling for $20,000.00. We're sticking it out and just planning to make improvements while waiting for the market to straighten out.

OK guys, so AJ graduates from gr.8 in 6 wks. When I'm on the other computer I'll post his Confirmation pic from last Sunday-he wore a suit for the first time since his First Communion(6yrs ago). He's had an aversion to button-down shirts,ties,dress shoes;anything formal~typical teen? Funny though, he soon decided his getup was actually quite comfortable after all-lol.

Well need to get cleaned up for work. Highs today will be 70; by tomorrow highs will be just 48...

Have a good one!
    ~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

A quick one from the awffice. Check out the link below if you love babies. (Chelone I dare you)

• chelone
    14 years ago

I sure don't "get" the whole baby thing. Sorry. They can't hold their heads up, they can't control their bowels and they tend to spew vomit. And they scream whenever things don't suit them. (sounds like a winning combination to me!).

It's definitely hormonally governed. It has to be or our species wouldn't have evolved enough to share this kind of crap... .

Never let it be said I won't take a dare, Michelle. ;)

(woodstove is fired up, snow is falling and melting on contact, all cats are in and the Mongrel Horde has wrestled, growled, and is now settling down and the nice lamps are still intact. Afternoon outdoor exercise was probably too short for their needs but it was raining and cold. We'll spend quality time on obedience drills tonight!)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Ah Chelone. Now I rather agree about gimmicky posed shots of babies. I do think that babies tend to look a bit like old people in nursing homes at times too, what with drooling and falling asleep. But I also think that people of all ages have what you call "winning combinations": hangovers, outlandish clothing, foul language, burps and f*rts and so on. So all in all, I study each and every one on his/her own merits. Babies smile way more than adults...and mean it. That has to be a positive!

Here's a NG shot for today:
    {{gwi:156211}}

More later if I find a moment.
    'bug

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Yes but....Chelone, none of us came into this world full grown !

Marie, I love that pic.

• chelone
    14 years ago

And that, Marian, is why some of us never "squeezed out a pup"!

We just never felt any great urge to do so... I pretty much knew I didn't want kids by the time I was 12-13 yrs. old. I always felt sort of weird about it, too, frankly. We did talk about kids after my Dad died, but neither of us felt any overwhelming urge. In fact, the more we talked about it, the more comfortable we were with not having any.

I fancy myself incredibly fortunate to have had the benefit of fairly reliable birth control available to me. I can't imagine the horror of an unwanted pregnancy in a time when prevention was difficult and termination illegal!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The internet is slow here tonight, and Im on my laptop which has the dreaded Vista. Today I visited the Santa Barbara Botanical Garden, far more advanced than the last time I was there-in the 90s I think. It is high in canyon abovethe city and features primarily Cal native plants. They have done a really nice job-its not a large garden and very untsructured.

After that visit I went off to Carpenteria which is the town just to the south of SB, there are lots of wholesale nursery operations there , and I had 2 retail spots to visit. I give a two-thumbs up and a wow to Seaside Gardens, I wandered in there and was just blown away by their display gardens. Ill post photos when I get home tomorow.

How nice to have posts from Babs again !
    All for now,

Kathy in Santa Barbara

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Good morning!

Nice to see you Babs! Stick around for a while. We miss you.

Kathy, sounds like you're having a blast.

The pictures of everyone's gardens are fun to see. Spring is unfurling across all of Idylldom.

Sarah and I are off to Old Sturbridge Village this morning. It's a field trip with my photography class. Sarah is going to use my old point and shoot. Funny, she just had Colonial Days at school (and enjoyed it) so this should be fun (and on track) for her. She's hoping to spy a pig.

We're digging up a few beds across the street that have been "let go" for the past few years. I'm coming home exhausted and covered with dirt. We're also picking up (shoveling) manure each day from a local horse farm and then dressing the beds. It's really nice rotted stuff with lots of bedding. It makes a nice mulch.

Time to rustle up some breakfast and start this day!

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm off on a photo shoot this morning too Saucy..waiting for the sun to come up and them I,m heading downtown to shoot get pics of some adobes before the tourista hoardes descend..then it's pack up and head back to Napa.

Hope all enjoy thier Saturday...

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone! Hope you are all having a good day/evening. It was really cold here today, I could not seem to get warm, but one of the reasons was that we went to Lowes to get the wood for the greenhouse. It is all stacked up and ready for Skip to start putting it up tommorrow. I was so happy when the city approved the plans. It may not be gorgeous, but it will function, and I am excited about that. I also got 2 apple trees and 2 cherry trees, so I am excited about that. The bad news is that I seem to have a stye on my eye (yuck) and my sinus on the same side is clogged. The local video store is going to change their video department into a wine room, because they have a wine cellar, and I think they do better on the wine than they do videos, especially since the grocery store just got a box that only costs $1 to rent a movie. Anyway, they were selling all of their DVD's 3/$1.00, so we all went down and picked out a few. The boys are watching 13th Warrior right now, ( not my kind of movie, especially..but . Skip, Sean and Devin are watching it. I think they put names in a box or something to decide which one.

Bug, I really enjoy the NG pics you posted. Hope Phoebe is settling down for you. Spring Fever maybe? My little puppy is a lot of work, I am thinking I may have bit off more than I can chew with her. I guess I forgot in the 12 years since I had one how much work they are the first year. She keeps us hopping, but is a very nice dog, just a lot of keeping my eyes on her.

Michelle, the baby pic link was fun to look at. I will have to watch the video that explains how they take the pics. I think Anne Geddes photoshopped some of hers. They are so sweet!

Chelone, I didn't like kids either. I was the oldest of 5, and my big goal was to get away from anything resembling babies or anything to do with them. I didn't even babysit in high school, like my best friend who loved kids, and she ended up deciding not to have any.. We often laugh about how it turned out... saying who would have thunk?

Woody, nice overview of your gardens. It is nice to have a way to get above it all for a bird's eye view. Different perspective.

Kathy, thanks for sharing the pics from your travels. It is so nice to see all the bright color.

Well my eye is starting to sting from looking at the computer, I think I will head to bed.

D.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

It seems there has been a Kenzie visit! Of course she needs a picnic in her secret garden. Special for all!

The birds are singing away this morning but our weather has been cold and strange. There has been a combination of snow/rain/wind falling horizontally and it feels pretty nasty against our faces. Tonight it is expected to fall to freezing. On 10 acres I simply cannot cover plants and so can only hope that the garden will deal well with natural events. No matter, it is better than fallout from the erruption of the Icelandic volcano!!!

I still have not put together photos for Skyler of my trip during his March break. I hope DH can help me with that soon as his birthday is on the 22nd. Ivy's will be on May 3rd. It may be that bikes are in their futures, we'll see.

Yesterday we bought wood to repair the potting bench. Perhaps today we'll start that project. Also need to make some photos to send my French uncle, and that is a task that gets done in town. I'd like one or two for myself as well.

A most strange coincidence last night. I Googled the name of a Nigerian friend of mine, a man who taught at my school there, who studied later at the University of Toronto, worked in both Ottawa and later for NASA in the southern US. This man is a mix of talents, a minister, a chemist, a teacher, a parent and more. The shock that appeared in my search was that he and a fellow University friend were kidnapped on March 24th by hooligans demanding money for their return. I spent a good amount of time tracking down the outcome, and finally determined that the men were released. Others were not so fortunate. I am hopeful to regain contact with him through his university, but that is by no means certain.

A NG photo for today- Perhaps Chelone will tolerate this baby?

{{gwi:156212}}

Later,
    'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Isn't it funny, GB, how a friend will pop into our heads - and so often we find that they have had some trouble in their lives. I hope you will be able to connect.

I wonder how PM2 is doing and if she is happy with all the rearranging she had done at this time last Spring?

It was nice to see Kenzie in her garden!

Drema, I am so happy for you and your new greenhouse! I think you'll get a pleasing structure, as all your other projects seem to come out!

Yesterday, Sarah and I went to Old Sturbridge Village (a colonial town) to do our photography assignment. The rain allowed us to have the place mostly to ourselves. Sarah was invited to make a door nail with the blacksmith, which was the highlight of the day. She said many times how much fun she had.

I'm off to see what the day brings me.

Saucy

• chelone
    14 years ago

Heaven knows I tolerate all the other ones, 'bug. ;)

I have been snatching every rain-free moment to get the Wrecking Crew outdoors and exercised. It ain't easy. Vera has recovered her tabby composure and is now mincing around the house with cautious impunity. Everyone has enjoyed the evening fires in the woodstove, too, it's been a wonderful aid to inter-species tolerance.

I haven't been to Old Sturbridge Village since I was a kid. It was great fun and I'm certain Sarah had the time of her life. What fun.

I think we're finally going to get a nice show from Magnolia "Butterflies" this spring. I am looking for an attractive, not overly aggressive groundcover to plant at her feet... suggestions?

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Good morning, all -- I am wondering where my Spring went today... it's very very windy and chilly - upper 40s but w/ the winds, it feels like 30 -- I see a few things keeled over outside - my Asao clem in full bloom in its container took a tumble Friday nite and it's now back in a corner of the patio; things I'd unpacked were covered back up and I doubt it's a good idea to plant them out today. Not sure my "delicate" nature permits me to endure out in these winds for gardening - Im such a wuss - altho I confess I dont want to get sick again either and that's in my silly head.

I spent yesterday w/ my DD shopping -- looking for "fat clothes" for the expectant Mom - it was really nice to have a whole day with her and she even stayed into the evening and we looked at some old photos and talked of little missing furry creatures dear to us. I find the house very oddly large and empty by myself these days. It is a testament to how much we permit our pets to take control happily of our lives isnt it? Silly things, like Chelone says who need daily beatings, LOL....

I loved seeing all the special photos on the moments page -- that picnic in the garden, Michelle -- what a fun grandma you are!

I sure hope all you folks taking photo classes do not sufficiently intimidate we ignoramouses from posting photos, LOL.... it's really incredible how terrific all your photos are becoming! I think Im gonna stick with point and shoot.

Drema -- sorry about your eye - so annoying Im sure that is - and hope your sinuses open up -- that neti pot seems to be a hit with lots of folks here -- allergy season can't help it either. Cant wait to see how your greenhouse comes into being -- I know it's going to be creative and neat looking - Im sooo jealous!

Kathy - glad you had a neat trip and you're such a great idyller to keep us up to date from the road with such magnificient scenery. Does it make you want to move back to that region re-visiting or seeing it thru a gardener's eyes now?

The sun seems to be missing now here too - hmmm, I guess it's going to be an inside day for me.....

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, folks! I should go look for a few more plant photos to perk this up... maybe back later.

-Cindy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Cindy, my Asao in the Maackii is opening it's first bloom. The one by the bedroom end of the house has lots (to me) of big buds fixing to open. It looks like it will be a good year for most of my clems. I pray no late freeze, or other disaster hits them.
    I have started dumping all the last years's potting soil from pots into the beds at the base of the house. Makes them look much prettier, and is good for them too, of course.
    My slackness in tending to things properly has ended up with 2 of my largest clay pots being cracked. I hate that. I sure can identify with what has been said about aging gardeners, since I am the oldest one that posts here. But it is amazing how beautiful spring weather ,and all the new growth, can perk one up, mentally, physically, and spiritually. It is not easy for me to get around, but I am gradually working on it.
    I mowed quite a bit of our yard last week. And enjoyed it very much.I rode the rider, of course. It fired right up, after setting all winter, with gasoline still in it. I had to move more storm damaged limbs before I can finish in some areas. We are waiting until the blooms are gone on the trees (Serviceberry and Dogwood) before removing the broken limbs.
    I believe this past winter has taken the biggest toll on both of us, mentally and physically...but thank God we are both improving now.
    I do read along, as best as I can ....sometimes it is not easy reading so much, but I enjoy what I do read. And enjoy the pics.

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good evening friends

I could hardly bring myself to hit the grocery store today, just wanted to stay in the garden, but if I was interested in having food for the next few days there was no way around it. Still have not done laundry..I may have to wear my gardening clothes to the awfice tomorrow. My suitcase remains unpacked in my closet.

I spent quite a bit of time staring at my new acquisitions and being indecisive about their installation locales. Executive decisions were finally made, lots of stuff got planted. I also took a corpse inventory , admitted they were in fact corpses and gave them a decent burial in the yard waste bin. Closure ! Was very happy see foliage emerging on my Fascination Dahlia, but still no signs of life on Park Princess , or my Iochoma. They have a week before the shovel comes out. Rain is expected to come in tomorrow night, which is good , I always like to head into May before I have to water the gardenand it was warm today, mid-70s.

Cindy, If I were suddenly acquire a fortune, I would buy a 2nd residence in Santa Barbara in a heartbeat. But as permanent residence, nope, I prefer it here, with 4 distinct seasons, less crowds and traffic, and the ability to grow plants that require dormancy. I feel remiss in not visiting SB more often though, it is in fact my favorite city in California, has been since I was a kid. I have made a promise to my self to go at least once a year in the future, its really not that far and there are plenty of places between here and there to stop for a night if I dont feel like doing the drive in one stint.

Saucy, I had an e-mail chat with PM last week before I headed down to SB. She is still working through health issues, but feeling better. I hope she will drop by here this spring ! I miss her outlook and positive attitude.

Marian , I dumped potting soil on my lawn today, hoping to revive some bald spots..I dont feel very hopeful though ! Im glad to hear that spring has helped raise your spirits. Its hard to feel puny with the beauty that is all around us this time of year.

Chelone, Im afraid I would not be very useful suggesting ground covers for your zone, but what about kind of a tapestry of Huecheras?

Drema, turning a video store into a wine cellar sounds like something that would happen here ! Most of the video stores around here have gone belly-up..Netflix is just too convenient and the selection cant even compare with the pitiful roster of films to be had at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.

Babs, so great to see you here ! It seems like a hundred year ago that I had children in school..they can still be stressful, but at least they can dress themselves, feed themselves , drive themselves and semi-support themselves, lol.

I have Clematis, roses, and my Grosbeak pair that comes every year is back. Spring is awesome.

Mary ?

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

It was an awesome weekend weather wise. I spent much of the time in the garden but got little done. Kenzie and I had a fabulous time though. Thats whats important.

Cindy, we had that wind this past week and I stayed in several nights. Another reason I appreciated the fabulous weather this weekend no wind.

Chelone, Im not big into ground covers but do have a fair bit of lamium around. The one that I like the best is Shell Pink I think the silver leaves would look quite pretty with the pale yellow. Plus lamium is basically evergreen here in my zone 4b. So it would look fairly decent at the time of the magnolia show. I never really thought about yellow and silver together until I saw the container them at the MN Landscape Arboretum several years ago and they used yellow, silver and white together so effectively.

Actually to tell the truth Im not all that crazy about tiny babies but really get a kick out of toddlers through the grade school age. Teenagers havent ever excited me a lot either.

Drema, how exciting to see the greenhouse come to fruition. I still have in my mind something similar to Edens. More for fun than anything.

bug, Kenzie enjoyed your NG photos with all the baby animals.

She also enjoyed the baby link and each shot elicited and "awww"

Babs, how wonderful to get an update from you. We do miss you. Drop by occasionally if you can.

Kathy, it sounds like you had an enjoyable trip.

The hellebore I posted is Ivory Prince and as common as Emerald Gaiety Euonymus is, it is evergreen for me so does work well with the hellebores early bloom. Spring is really getting under way here. I have a fair amount of pale yellow tulips that are fairly early that make a pretty decent show. Kenzie and I walated together many times over the weekend. She also picked a couple of bouquets. She likes one flower of each thing blooming in the garden.

Thats about it for me tonight.

Michelle

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Ive thrown myself into reseeding bare spots in the yard. The huge pin oak is gone but left behind barren, uneven ground. Weve had no April showers to speak of and total rainfall for the month might be half an inch. A most unusual April so far! Temps were mid eighties for several days although were having more seasonal weather this week. Too windy for the sprinkler so I thoroughly hand water grass seed and gardens with the wand but its definitely not the same as rain. Working compost into the shrub borders when Im not watering, rearranging some existing plants and enjoying the exercise after the long winter.

Saucy, happy to read your news of the studio and classes. Such good things are coming your way! The visit to Old Sturbridge Village sounds so interesting, do you have any photos to share? I love those kinds of little road trips.

Michelle, how wonderful to see Kenzie in the Secret Garden. Im sure it really comes alive when shes there, creating more memories until the next visit!

Thinking of you in your garden, Cindy. I know you probably still see your little garden buddy out of the corner of your eye in those favorite spots. Dont over do out there and take care.

Drema, first you taunt me with a tea room and now a greenhouse, lolcant wait to see some pictures of it!

Hi Marian! Ive been wondering where you were and hope you post some spring photos soon.

Bug, thanks for sharing the NG photographyIm a huge fan of NatGeo, always fascinating material.

Kathy, incredible photos of Santa BarbaraIve really enjoyed the series! Entirely different world than the Midwest, sheesh. The neighborhood looks drab and my gardens pallid after viewing such vivid colors!

Nice to see you back, Chelone. Mary must be mastering another projectbuilding a pond, writing a novel, or perhaps she got a permit to raise llamas? Whatever, Im sure it will be amazing!

Waving to Woody, Norma, Denise and all I missed so much needs done outside this time of year its wrecking my schedule and affects my time at the computer.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Hello everyone, going to make an attempt to reconnect here as I've been beyond busy with plants, work and my bird photography. I've been painting up some new things and the new studio classroom is working out wonderfully. The gardens are emerging and I just love this time of the year when all is new and the season is so full of promise.
    Things of note here in the gardens are the Hydrangea petiolaris on the oak tree is bigger and better than ever and will put on a show for the record books when it blooms and the Wisteria tree is absolutely smothered with buds. It's never had so many before so I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation for the show. I'll have to detach the camera from the big bird lens and get outside for some garden photos.

I've been working on getting the fuchsias outside and finally got the last of them out of the basement yesterday. It looks like I only lost three fuchsias over the winter which is not too bad. The bad news is that it looks like the Red Abyssinian banana is marginal. Might not make it. there is only a small bit of living tissue in the center of the plant and I've got it outside in a temp pot so we'll see what happens.

I did lots of bird photography over the winter and was pretty pleased when I won the monthly photo competition in November and again in March on Birdforum. Very cool stuff.

OK must run. I've got a busy garden day planned.

Have a great day all

Deanne

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Big outdoor plans for today here too...but we'll just have to see what materializes! Book Club tonight: The Help is up for discussion.

NG photo for today -

{{gwi:156213}}

'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

That's a cute picture, GB, but that cat comes off as a smoking wino, he he he. The cigarette butt bugs me.

Great gardening day here and the kids are out of school for the week. I'm setting up my backyard studio today, too, and Nick bought me a plywood top for my workbench (which is just sawhorses). I think I will paint it a loud color...maybe apple green to go with my cobalt blue tent top.

Happy gardening, friends!

Saucy

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

The winds have stopped here - it must be Monday... ba humbug! Missed a weekend of gardening -- but it was good to spend the time w/ DD as that is a rare opportunity any more. But am jealous of those who get to garden today. It is still quite cold here tho -- I think we have one more cold cold nite up for tonite .....

O great to see some familiar faces -- Babs & Deanne & Candy - come back and play more regularly - Im working on that myself...

Kathy, you have such energy - amazing you've already got your purchases planted! Wow, very impressive. I like the idea of wearing our gardening togs to awfice... I might get sent home; gee, wouldnt that be a bummer, LOL. I forgot about the lack of 4 seasons in SB - yes, that would likely depress me. I love Spring too much.

Deanne, Im sorry to hear about your banana - but knowing you, if anyone can revive it, it will be you! Sounds like you're really rolling already in the garden w/ dividing, etc., altho I guess having an open garden day visit would motivate most of us to get cracking.

I've got lots of bare spots too, Candy, in the yard this year and reseeded a bit last week; but no rain and cold temps - not sure how viable the seed will turn out. Thanks for the thoughts re my Chloe - yes, I pretty much see her everywhere; much of the back garden was created with her and her little eccentrities in mind - LOL, I guess you could say she helped design the garden.

Michelle, that is so wonderful that you WALATed with Kenzie -- you're such a fun grandma, along with Laura - so imaginative -- and I hope to emulate you guys - taking furious notes. Altho if my g-baby turns out to be a boy, I will have to consult you guys for other ideas!!! Altho Brenda is likely to have a bunch of ideas (but I just can't do skydiving - sorry...).

Well, gotta get the work day rolling. Enjoy the day in the garden folks who can.

-cindy

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Post.. to Chelone re groundcover (shady Im assuming?) -- Michelle's idea of lamium is a nice one -- it's not an aggressive groundcover that I've found; in fact, I would say I have a bit of a problem getting it to spread; but it's quite lovely - like Michelle, Im fond of the Silver Beacon; but I just planted another silver called Orchid Frost (blooms are lavendar; but silver foliage).... or how about hellebores?

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I'm not fond of lamium and sweet woodruff because the weeds mingle in with them and that bothers me. Getting weeds out of the middle of a dense low lying patch is not easy! How about a batch of hostas beneath your tree? They'd even bloom in the Fall. You would want to remove the foliage before the snows arrive though.
    One ground cover I like is Sedum Angelina. I know you don't care for the color, chartreuse, even though it changes throughout the season. But there are many low lying sedums that are reddish, blueish or brown that you might enjoy.(S.Vera Jameson,S. Acre, S.Dragon's Blood and more....)

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Funny how our different regions have different issues/reactions - I've never had issues w/ weeds thru my lamium, 'bug - but then I dont have in a large large area.... I open the idea re groundcovers into a larger idea tho - this is one of my favorite posts from the blog 'Away to Garden' about underplantings - and it shows some terrific combos, to be added or subtracted, I think:

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice combos Cindy ! Bug had mentioned Sedums, and I'm doing a 'tapestry' planting in one of my beds that features Sedum prominently, along with Thyme, and Geranium sanguinium. It's been fun to be on the lookout for new Sedums and I've got numerous specimans now. Many different shades and colors as bug says.

Kathy ..at the awfice :-(

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So glad to see post from Deanne ! and with news of the possible demise of the Banana no less. You cant say it didnt serve you well over the last few years ..maybe you should get out a recip-saw and hack it down to the good tissue and see what happens. Didnt Sue actually leave hers out a couple of years ago? They die back to stumps here in the ground but always come back. I dont have one mind you..no place to put one here. Cant wait to see your H. petiolaris.

bug, Sweet Woodruff is one of my Why did I plant this thing ? items. The weeds have no chance against it . Every fall and spring I pull(peel) up chunks of it , and I worry now that it will choke a couple of my Clematis. Ive come to accept it in certain areas-its almost like having green mulch. But I really have to be vigilant.

Cindy, I have been known to wear the gardening togs to the awfice if I go in on a Saturdaysometimes I will sneak up to my awfice the back way and work for a couple of hours on a Sat if I need to get caught up on something. Seems like I can get 4 hours worth of stuff done in 2 if nobody knows Im around. No phones, no e-mails ! My gardening clothes are extremely slovenly too..but comfortable .

Michelle, so glad you got a chance to spend some time with Kenzie. I know what that means to you.

Candy, what you are experiencing this April with the lack of rain is our lot here on the west coast from about May through Sept. We are totally dependent on irrigation, and you are right, it is not the same as rain. I love my roses, Delphiniums and Dahlias though, so I mulch super heavy and irrigate deeply with soaker hoses about once a week. So far I have only had to water containers and have had enough rainwater collected to take care of that, but once we go a couple of weeks without rain it will be time to drag out the hoses again. Rain is expected tonight and I hope its enough to keep the hoses wound up for a few more days.

Would love to hear from Mary !

nite all.

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Not that I have any experience with it but I've always wanted to add some Asarum europaeum. I notice it used in the "tapestry" in Cindy's link. (Great link by the way) Its not a plant you see around here at nurseries.

I would call my raised sun bed somewhat of a tapestry. At least at this time of year its mostly low growers such as sedums, creeping phlox, candytuft, armeria, minor bulbs, tulips. This is its best time of year. I really need to work on more interest for later in the season.

Cindy, you will be a wonderful grandma - its not all that hard.

Deanne, congrat on the bird photo awards. Yours are really quite wonderful. I've missed you here along with your bird and garden photos.

Back to work

Michelle

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I absolutely love Asarum europaeum and have grown it in shady wet areas here. A WONDERFUL plant, pretty expensive, and you need lots of it too.
    Back outdoors now...
    Later,
    'bug

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Michelle -- I confess that that blog & the combos made asarum europeaeum on the the wish list for a year here and I finally made a couple of purchases of it to try to emulate that tapestry as I have some of the other plants as well --- your info, 'bug, reinforces to me that I pretty much thought it is a slow grower/increaser...golly tho, it sure is purty and glossy! I do think the idea of the mosaic foliage creates a lovely picture below some trees rather than one continuous groundcover - I noted in the first photo that it shows a mature magnolia - one reason it made me think of Chelone's question... the possibilities are endless of course.

Im feeling a terrible case of Spring fever and needing a "garden work day" but unlikely for the near future. I did manage a very short WALAT last nite and noticed that things (esp the clematis) are growing by leaps and bounds and more have buds; the roses are starting to bud up too (and hmm, me thinks I see some insect issues already, darn it).

That's good to hear what you said about hte galium, Kathy - it too is one that's been somewhat on my "how charming" list but have been hesitant about.. and I suspect our regions are close enuf I'd come to curse it too if it's a nuisance for you... I dont have any real isolated type beds to plunk it into -- it does have pretty foliage tho.

Here's hoping many of you folks are out having fun and working hard in your gardens today!

-cindy

• denisez10
    14 years ago

I was hoping to scoot in under the flag before another idyll closes and just made it. Can you tell we've been enduring the Grand Prix races? Mercifully over last weekend.

First off, I hope Julie's head is better! I pull that reaching over maneuver with Ein all the time so knew exactly what you were describing. A man Marty works with came off a ship's ladder hard, dropping about 10 feet onto a steel deck unexpectedly, which caused a Bell's palsy on his face. It's a harmless, temporary paralysis, but we were surprised the fall caused it. Maybe your neuro injury to the arm is something similar from internal swelling.

Congrats to Michelle for the FG photo, which is no surprise since your perennial borders always knock my socks off.

Kathy the Santa-BooBoo (no idea why we call it that) photos of Lotusland and environs are stunning.

Congrats to Deanne on the bird photo awards. Not too many more plant losses than the banana hopefully.

And going back a bit, congrats to bug's DD on their hockey win, placing No. 1 if I understood the photo correctly. Hockey has stayed on my radar since the Olympics, and our LA Kings are in the playoffs, first time in eight years (playing Vancouver now, best out of 7).

For all the rest of us sans awards, hello! It's drizzling right now, so we're getting a little of Kathy's rain.

Have never grown it but a big fan of gorgeous asarum. What about bergenia for under the magnolia?

There's a movie coming out about babies born round the world, Africa, Japan, U.S., and the different child-rearing practices. Marty was shocked that I want to see it. I'm sure Chelone will run right out to see it too ;>)

Ein's developed a cataract in one eye, which corgis are prone to. It's either a cataract or something similar that doesn't impair vision called a sclerosing...something or other. Shocked us all that the little guy is now middle-aged but such is life.

Marty finally got a retirement date, May 8th, so it's really happening. He wants a rowing skull for a retirement present. Sounds fine with me.

Looking forward to more spring photos and news.

• denisez10
    14 years ago

scull. Rowing scull.

waving

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Guess I'll slip in and close this one out ! Denise, lol, glad to hear that Marty has not decided to take up the pirate trade as his retirement job. If ypi are up that way, I strongly recommend a visit to Seaside Gardens in Carpenteria.

Rain last night and this morning and a blustery cool afternoon. I'm back in a turtleneck, a sweater and warm pants. One can't count on anything this time of year.

My plant purchase list is lengthening.

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    14 years ago

A beauty of a day is going to be enjoyed with a trip to Tower HIll with my friend Saucy! can't wait to see you girlfriend!

This spring has been pretty great with lots of lovely warm days, and lots of rain. The gardnes are showing their appreciation.

Denise, so you will have a retired DH around the house. How is that going to work out for you???? LOL about the 'skull'...

Cindy, hopefully you'll have some great weather for gardening this weekend. I'd like to plan that Asarum here somewhere but can't decide on a location.

Michelle, congratulatons on the FG photo. A gorgeous combination!

Kathy, stay warm, many thanks for all the beautiful photos. It's such a great shot in the arm to see all those wonderful colors.

Must run and get some gardening done before I hit the road for lunch with my buddy.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Good Morning!

Deanne, maybe near your garden shed? I can see Asarum back there.... :)

Yesterday the roses got trimmed here. I started on the asparagus patch too. I hope to finish weeding there today. Everything is very dry. We've not had Deanne's rain & warmth combination so far. That is why I was able to do some mowing though. Usually things are too wet for mowing in the flats at this time of year.

It is another glorious day, although the insects are starting to come out. We expect below freezing temperatures tonight though, so perhaps that will stall them for a bit longer.

Woody, I keep trying to send you email but it is not working for me. (Our system is down) This weekend is the sale for Whistling Gardens:
    Garden Centre Opens Next Weekend Saturday, April 24th
    Open 7 days a week until June 27th
    9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    15% off ticketed price!

Later,
    'bug