Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funks Grove

Posted by veronicastrum z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 22:07

A couple of weeks ago we had a chance to take a short hike through a portion of Funks Grove, an Illinois Nature Preserve that is the oldest stand of virgin timber in the state.

The floor of the woods is a carpet of wildflowers.

Some of the older trees have fallen to the ravages of time and weather, but the remnants tell you a bit about how glorius they once were.

The spring beauties were everywhere. These are pink when they first bloom but fade to white as they age. They're usually one of the first to bloom.

No, this is NOT what you think, Chelone!

Dutchman's breeches are quite delicate looking.

The Virginia bluebells were just starting to make their appearance.

The clumps of dark green foliage here are shooting stars that have not bloomed yet. I wish I could be there when they bloom!

Just a few of the highlights. Hope you enjoyed!

V.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funks Grove

Hmmm, I don't know, it would be pretty easy to glue some flowers onto an otherwise illicit plant.

Like the first pic of the little stream winding along...very pretty.What kind of trees are these V ?

Kathy in Napa

o

Kathy, the older trees are white and bur oaks, and there are many sugar maples as well. Funks Grove maple sirup (they have a sign explaining why that spelling is correct) is locally famous.

V.

o

I love to see wild flowers in a natural setting. It looks like a nice place to hike. I took a peak at their website, it was interesting as well.

Michelle

o

What a beautiful place! I love this time of year! I am going to have to read up on sIrup :)

Thank you for sharing, V.!

Saucy

o

How cool that this acreage is saved! Thanks for taking us along, V.

Martie

o

A beautiful walk in the woods V. Thanks for sharing this lovely place with us!
Deanne

o

What a nice scenic walk V. I went to the website and read the history. Have you ever tried the sirup?

Eden

o

My kind of escape. Thanks V!

o

Dutchman's Breeches are one of my favorites. I seem to remember when I was young, walking in natural areas and seeing lots of wildflower vignettes, but it is so rare now. Glad there are still some pockets of them here and there at least. Thanks for posting.

:-)
pm2

o

What a neat place V! Is it near you? Dutchman's Breeches has always been a fave of mine too PM! I just love that delicate little thing...so charming. After seeing V's pics I've decided to move some of mine up near the house so I can enjoy them more. Sometimes I'm too late to really enjoy them here if I'm not working out in the yard early in the spring.

That carpet of wildflowers is just so lovely...don't you wish we could see something like in every woods?

So...what *is* the pot plant, V? I saw something similar to those growing in the forest preserve here, where we walk Scout.

I could never be in a funk walking through those woods (sorry...sad joke)! :-) But I *do* love that name! Thanks for sharing! Ei

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here